Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: To Me is a free with ads streaming service with a huge library of movies and also old television shows and new television shows and weird things like starfields and images of plants and stuff. Have you tried it out? Should you try it out? I'm Jordan Hoffman.
Speaker 3: And I'm at Singer. With more movies, more series, more pictures of plants and things going straight into streaming than ever before, it felt like the right time for a podcast that keeps track of it all, and that podcast is is Film Spotting Streaming Video Unit. This week we're going to continue our semi regular series we call the State of Streaming. This week our subject is to be or to be? To be or not to be? And I can answer that question.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It's to be.
Speaker 3: That's what we're talking about. Plus this week's new to streaming titles, some deep cut streaming recommendations, and we finish out the episode as always with a game.
Speaker 2: It's exciting because I lost last week. I've only lost three times and I've won ten times. This is episode fourteen of Film Spotting SVU. Will I win again? To odds say yes, but we'll find out. It's all coming up on Film Spotting SVU. Welcome to Film Spotting s v U, also known as Film Spotting SAH. I'm Jordan Hoffman. Now later in the show, we've got streaming recommendations as always, also known as the rex eg a listener request recommendation for a hangout comedy in the vein of a semi obscure two thousand and five ensemble comedy. I love listener Thomas. You're my favorite listener because you're a very funny man. And a game which producer Sam is calling, of course, to be or not to be Waka Waka Waka.
Speaker 3: I stole his joke. I stole his joke before he could make it.
Speaker 2: The first stup is and I think to B is actually called to B to V to B TV. I think that's the actual name of it. I don't think it's called tub. I think it's called to be TV, but that's that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 3: Well stream, that's their website, but I don't I don't know that, but their logos.
Speaker 4: I think no.
Speaker 2: I think if you get a press release from this company, it's, you know, coming up on to b TV. I think that's what they call it, but maybe not, but nobody calls it that. I think I could be wrong. Once in a very very blue moon, the bluest of moons, I am wrong. It's rare. Oh, how it's rare. But sometimes I'm wrong. Never, Never am I wrong in public, but sometimes I'm wrong in private. All right, listen now, it's very important to remind the listeners that this is our second edition of a semi regular feature we call the State of Streaming, and this, of course is about two b We did one before on Netflix. We started with the Big Red Machine, the most streaming of all streams. Matt, do you want to remind the listeners kind of or you want to explain to the listeners what this is because maybe they missed that first episode? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, So this is the second installment of an occasional series we call The.
Speaker 5: State Streaming, where instead of reviewing one title that's on streaming, we review an entire streaming service, and.
Speaker 3: We discuss how easy it is to use, the quality of their selection, whether it's worth what you're expecting to pay on a subscription basis, and at the end of the discussion, we assign a score that we can then use to compare this service to the other ones we have done, and eventually, if we go on long enough, we will determine the.
Speaker 5: Greatst streaming service of all time in the history of the world.
Speaker 3: And hopefully Sam will add some reverb there to make me sound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, echo effects And look, I heard.
Speaker 3: How many sound effects he added to the last week's episode, So now I have total I have total rain to to add as many sound effects. He's the master of the sound effect, so I'm gonna make him earn his foods.
Speaker 2: I was impressed with his ability to to slip in clips of the in laws last week was.
Speaker 3: Hope, I hope that you tell a long, rambling story just so he can insert the sound of the Jordan Hoffman anecdote that he added in there.
Speaker 2: Well we're going to well, you know it's once we get this episode started. Come on, let's stop talking and start talking. Let's get the episode started. Now, the first chapter or the first you know, ven chapter. Yeah, of we're gonna determine its library slash how easy it is to find titles. Now, I'm gonna go first because I'm tired of you talking. The the way I decided to do it was twofold because I have in my home we have what's called the Apple TV device, the thing of a jig you put to your TV. I don't have a smart TV. I used to have a Roku at some point in my life. I got the Apple one and that's what I use. So I used that for part of the time, and then I just used my laptop because I know that's how the kids watched television now is on their laptop. And I gotta says, it's a bit of a different world the laptop versus the Apple TV in terms of everything usability, but even just in terms of finding the titles, because it's a lot slower on the Apple TV, at least for me. There was a lot of hang in and you know, you move your thumb and it didn't quite do what you wanted it to do, and it was a little bit, a little bit disappointing in terms of the library, Like the impressiveness of what Tube has to offer Tooby is pretty fig you know the joke as they call the people's streamer, right because it's free, you know, I just have to watch some ads. So it's you know, movies for everybody, and it is impressive. They do have a lot of movies you've heard of. It's not all just like public domain titles. And but their real win is the wacky you know, back of the video store. What is this weird thing here? They have a lot of oddball stuff. But in terms of my when I first went on the page on my Apple TV, I was impressed with that they did do some programming for the calendar. Now I looked at it, I did my inventory my investigation soon after the fourth of July, so it had right up top Independence Day, and I thought, hey, somebody's thinking. So they had Independence Day right up top, and also Independence Day Resurgence, which, as it happened, I've never seen before, and I ended up watching that movie as my I was going to test out a feature, so I ended up watching Independence Day two, which is a crazy movie. So that was kind of cool. And then I guess it somehow knew me. It was sniffing me out because it had Star Trek the motion picture right up top two. I know, everything's connected and it kind of knows. So I don't know if that's there for everybody or that was there for me. And then also they had the Michael Jackson documentary, the one that came out just after he passed away. I think it's called this is It? Michael Jackson? This is It? I think it's called that. And I figured, oh, that's smart because Michael the feature film is still blazon it up at the box office, it's still in theaters. It's the number two movie of the year box office wise. So I thought that was, you know, somebody is smart. They're programming this well. But then you drill down a little bit and they have these categories that just didn't quite make sense to me. They had a category for drama and drama I think in the land to B is just mean a synonym for movie or show, because there are things in there that I would never consider drama or you know, I'm like, you know, the remake of The Poseidon Adventure, which I forgot even existed, Is that something you would put in drama, I guess it's very dramatic.
Speaker 3: There's a title way of Jordan.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, sure, the TV show The forty four hundred, which was a sci fi thing, drama, pan Am, the mad Man rip off with what's her name Christina Ricci, the comedy burlesque with Share the kind of hy a fantasy film, beautiful creatures, that's all in drama. I thought that was a little weird. I scrolled down a little further to romance and burlesque, and beautiful Creatures were there again, which led me to believe that they don't have you know, those are relatively new movies. They're at least from this century, and they have stars. And the truth is a lot of what makes to be cool is that they have a lot of odd ball stuff from days of yore, Like they have no nine zillion episodes of Doctor Who and the Old Doctor Who, you know, the one that looks like it's shot on you know, very cheap videotape and does not have a big budget. You know, that's kind of the two v Bread and Butter, which, in a way I respect. A couple of other funny things I saw in the in the when I was like surveying the catalog. They had a category called creator Verse and I had no idea what creator Verse was, and it looked to me a lot of in house produced stuff that or a lot of podcasts. It was just people talking. Then they had a category called before they there were Stars. I'm like, oh, that's kind of cute. So it had like, you know, the movie night Shift. I'm like, yeah, that had Shelley Long and it before she was famous. That's I love the movie night Shift. That's great. And then I had the TV show Party of Five and I'm like, well, that's the show that made them all stars. And I had the movie The Lost Boys, and again it's like, that's the movie that made Cory Feldman famous. And I had the series two to two seven and no disrespec to Marla Gibbs already was famous. She was in The Jeffersons and who became famous from two. I didn't know. That category just was all kind of weird to me. But then as you drill down further, they had other categories. They had something called Stanley Kubrick Essentials, which I thought was surprising, and it had only six films full metal jacket pads of Glory, Lolita, The Killing Killers, Kiss and Fear and Desire, which was which is a movie I guess in the public domain now. But when I was young, and I think when Matt and when you were young, and when Sam was young and we were learning about Stanley Kubrick, that was the movie you couldn't find because it's not very good, and it was kind of nobody owned it. Nowadays it's easy to find you to go on YouTube and watch it, but they have it there. I was kind of impressed with that. And then they also had something called Myths and Legends, and I got to say, this was great. This is like every Steve Reeves movie. You know, a lot of hercules, a lot of you know, I guess because The Odyssey's coming out soon. They had that in there, a lot of strong men in tight shorts, very very rich bench. I just clicked on one at random called Atlas, shot on location in Greece. It was a Roger Korman production, but the quality it didn't just look like a VHS. It looked like somebody had dubbed their friends VHS and then the VHS player had the tracking off a little bit. It looked so bad that I actually could not watch more than five minutes, like this just looks like mud, But I was kind of impressed that it was there. So in terms of my take on the library, you know, yeah, it's not the spot for the hottest new releases. You know, that's still gonna be HBO Max. But in terms of like, oh they got this weird thing, I gotta say I was kind of impressed with it. I will say though, that on the laptop it's a lot easier to find things, but that's the net. That's the next category is the interface. So in terms of the library itself, I got to say I was pretty impressed, especially with the old TV shows doctor Hood. And you know, my wife's been watching Dynasty because she'd never seen it, even though she's like the perfect age and demeanor to be a Dynasty or fan.
Speaker 3: We're talking about this, I think recently.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this, Like one day she woke up. I think she was like looking at Instagram and there was like a supercut of like all the like everybody getting slapped on Dynasty, and she's like, how have I never seen Dynasty? What's wrong with me? And she declared, from this day forth, I shall watch every Dynasty episode and she's probably by now next to done. I wonder if she's gonna be doing Dallas next and she's been enjoying it. So yeah, every episode of Dynasty is on there. Ever episode of Dallas and other things of that ilk Falcon Crest I'm sure is on there. That's what they're all about. You know, it was dark Shadows, all that stuff is. That's that's the bread and butter is old TV from I think our listeners tend to be around our age, or millennials at least, so TVs that you kind of remember from from your childhood are on there.
Speaker 3: Here's how I investigated the library of TB and we should say if you don't know TOUB, which we didn't really mention that, it's you know, AD supported totally free. According to Wikipedia, it has something like one hundred million monthly users, which is staggering. Was founded in twenty fourteen by a couple of guys who had worked for another company named ad Rise, which I remember that name from that time. They built the business on licensing content like ancient episodes of Doctor Who I guess, and making everything available on demand, but building in what I often find to be very jarring. Ad breaks, but the company was then sold. It's now owned by Fox. This is a wing of the Fox conglomerate. They acquired it in March of twenty twenty four, four hundred and forty million dollars.
Speaker 2: Wow, a lot of dough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's what two B is. As you mentioned, they have movies, they have TV. They also have live TV. You know, they have what's called fast free at supported streaming television where they have, you know, instead of on demand, it's you can scroll through a channel guide and if you want to watch old episodes of one show, they often have them playing around the clock, you know. If you know, there's a twenty four to seven channel for Supermarket Sweep in case you want to know what Hammerger Helper cost in nineteen ninety two. There's a twenty four to seven channel for Dateline NBC just in case you, like Jordan Hoffman, need to listen to the sound of Stone Phillip's voice to send you off to sleep after a hard day's work. And there is even a twenty four hour channel for the FBI, just in case, at any time of the day or night, you need to recreate the Leonardo DiCaprio pointing meme from Once upon a Time in Hollywood by actually pointing at a TV show and that's playing the FBI. There you go. So in terms of the library, I tooled around like you did, Jordan. What I I also did was I decided to like type in because when I go to a streaming service, I want to see what like directors they have and what they have available from directors that I might want to watch something for. So I'm going to run through just I have a half dozen names I typed in kind of at random, just thinking of names, and I'll tell you who they had. I typed in Martin Scorsese. They had four films, Mean Streets, Raging Bull, The Age of Innocence, and The Last Waltz. I typed in Jane Campion.
Speaker 2: I have to interrupt. That's fascinating because why didn't I see those when I did my audit. Those are big ass movies that should have been on you know, bubbled up, you know it's ridiculous, Raging Bulls, Oscar Winner.
Speaker 3: Come on, I don't I don't trust the ALGORTITHM. I need I need to search for me. I don't trust it, So I typed in Jane Campion. And I got one film in the cut. I typed in Akira Kurosawa. I got one, two, three, I got five films seven Samurai Hidden, four, Tortress, Ron High and Low, and Raschamont. So that's that's not bad. But I typed spiel I typed in Steven Spielberg, eh zero. I typed in Quentin Tarantino, eh zero. So I guess that's five names, not six. But so yeah, it's a mixed bag. Some directors you're you know, you're you're actually gonna be able to find stuff. Some you're not. Now that said, I also, as you said, they have these categories, and I looked through the categories and many were as Jordan described, very strange, very random, seemingly haphazard, you know, dramas like the remake of Poseidon. But I did find this one. I don't know if I don't know if you spotted this one Jordan called double Features. Did you see this one?
Speaker 2: No? No, I didn't see it.
Speaker 3: So the Double Features collection was is literally two movies that could be played together, and they're just arranged in order, so you had to kind of see and recognize the Double Features. But here's just a list of the movies in just this collection, Gunfight at the OK Corral, The Man Who Shot Liberty, Valance, The Doors Walk, Hard Boyhood, Slacker, The Killer, and Hard Boiled Rachaman and Seventh Samurai. We already mentioned. They have that Mother and Burning Long Feature Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Yep, Eraserhead, Inland Empire, The Dark, Crystal and Labyrinth and Le Samurai and Thief, and.
Speaker 2: That, Wow, every one of those movies is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that that's not every title, that is just the good titles in there, and that that one collection on two B has more good old movies than all of Netflix and several other streaming services. So I think we have to give them a certain amount of credit that their library actually has. It may not be the deepest in the world. It's not as good as going to Kim's Video, but if you want to watch some classic old films, they actually have some. And so I thought that was pretty good. Now. The only other thing I wanted to mention, because we're already yacking a lot, I watched on twob this week just to get a taste of the two B. I watched two movies. I watched Paths of Glory, which Jordan mentioned, and I watched Return of the Killer Tomatoes, and yes, I mean that is a range, that's expansive, that is a variety. And I appreciate the fact that if you use this free service you can watch a wide variety of things. I think that is good. And let me see if I have anything else I wanted to say here before we give our scores. Oh, I just I look through some of the genres, because things are also arranged by genre. I looked under action. Do you want to guess, Jordan, how many action movies, or at least movies they have listed as action on TB.
Speaker 2: Probably one hundred and seventy five, I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's pretty close. It was two hundred. They listed two hundred exactly when I looked. And you know, that's better than a most video stores. You know, my local Blockbuster when I was a kid did not have two hundred action movies, right, And it's an eclectic selection. They have the original Rollerball, but they've also got Who Killed Captain Alex. I don't know if you've seen that, Jordan, but it is one of these movies from well Collywood, which is delightful. We don't have time to talk about it now, but just again a range of options they had. The very first Academy Award Best Picture winner, Wings was in that genre. So it's not always easy to find things because you have to scroll that action genre. I did not see I was looking on my laptop. I did not see a way to rearrange it, to sort it a to Z or Z or even by your release. You just had to look through the whole thing. Here's what we got and you got to look through it, and that can be frustrating.
Speaker 2: I think the thing is, yeah, like two B is like go play like you know, we got it all for you, but we're not making it easy. I think that's the yin and yang of it. I do want to add a couple of things. Number One, I saw who killed Captain Allen's with you, by the way, we were next to one another screaming and yelling in Austin, Texas. Number Two, we got to talk about the ads now. I watched a feature film also for my first time. On two B. I watched Independence Day Resurgence, which is a terrible movie. And I did watch it kind of late at night and I was on the couch and I was laying down, and because I wasn't gonna be writing about this movie, I knew full well that I'd be following and sleep, and in fact I did. And then the ad breaks would come every twelve and a half minutes, every sixteen minutes, whatever it is. And the ads in classic form were so loud that they woke me up off the couch. I mean, that's just a classic move. The ads did come kind of randomly, it seemed like they did. It wasn't in the middle of somebody talking, but it just sort of like, oh and a d here it is another thing about a cholesterol pill. Fine, but here's something interesting. There is the live TV thing that you talked about beautifully, you know, twenty four hours of Supermarket Sweep. And I did do an audit on that, and I'm pretty familiar with that from Pluto TV, Pluto TV and to BTV are I would say the Pepsi and coke to one another. And I oftentimes play around with Pluto's live TV because they have some cool stuff when there deep, deep, deep in their range, like they have a channel just devoted to like art, art museums, just like floating around the Hermitage and Russia. They have a lot of shows. They have like a classical music channel where it's just like Symphonies the Vienna Symphony doing a show which I sometimes put on in the background. And then the thing that I really love is they have a channel which is just like spa music and shots of nature, which I think is great. I forget what they call it on Pluto, but it's like a beautiful shot of a lagoon in Bora Bora. And then just you know, synthesizer music. I love it. So I was looking on tub's offerings and they didn't have anything that I just mentioned like that. They have a lot of stuff. They have live news from Montana. If you want to know what the weather's going to be in Bothe in Montana, they got it. They got a lot of sports, a lot of golf, a lot of race, you know, F one racing, a lot of college sports not my thing, a lot of Spanish language stuff. It's impressive. And then you know twenty four hours of doctor who all this sort of thing. But they didn't have this. So I did like a search in the search bar. I looked up classical music, thinking if that channel with like symphonies would be on there, and it wasn't They had some documentaries about Beethoven, Mozar or whatever. But then they actually had the thing I was looking for, which is just like a shot of nature or a shot of science, like you know hubble telescope pictures under music. So I found one and it was truly it was like kind of bad screensaver shots of galaxies and quasars and supernovas. I think they were computer generated even but I put it on and it was spa music and it was a good thing to have in the background. Now this is the Punchline'm getting to this Matt. I put it on thinking wouldn't it be funny you put this on to go to sleep? Because it also said it was like five hours long. You put it on to go to sleep, the ads are going to wake you up, Like what's the point, Like that's that's the worst thing. You're gonna drift off, drift off that it's gonna be like are you suffering from my high cholesterol? But it didn't happen. They actually turned off the ads for this type of feature. Now they have a lot of them. So somebody working at two B has some smarts. They said, you know what, let's let's turn off our ad function for the go to sleep channels. It wasn't a channel though it was a program, they didn't have a channel for it. You had to find these things, and they had many of them, and I found them by searching classical music. I'm sure if you search by SPA music or relaxation, they had a lot. They had one of Tibetan's singing balls. I didn't plus play, but they you know, they have like eight hours of Tibetan singing balls. I think that's great. So hats off to two be. I was kind of impressed. I mean, I'm sure this is their least watched thing on the entire platform. Are these weird little go to sleep things? But for me, I gotta say, hats off.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I think we should factor when we're giving our scores here from zero to ten. We should only talk about the library here, and the commercial aspect we can talk about. I think in the next section that the intrusiveness of the commercials, you know what I'm saying, So I do, yes, so, but the fact that they have spa music that you can fall asleep to, that certainly you should consider. So Jordan out of yeah, a score of one to ten. What do you give two b's a library.
Speaker 2: I give it an eight, an eight.
Speaker 3: I decided just because it's so hard to use, like to find things. I dinged it a little bit and I said, a seven point five. It is hard to use. You gotta work for it. You gotta work for it. But there is good stuff on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also how much did it cost you? Book gus, it costs you nothing. You should work, Get off your ass and work.
Speaker 3: Okay. So the second finger of our five part score that we're measuring our streaming services on is the playback, the interface, how easy it is to watch something or rewind something. I think this is where the commercials absolutely become a factor. And Jordan, there was something I know you wanted to address here, which was also like signing up for the service.
Speaker 2: Right to B is free and they will not accept your money to make to make the ads go away. But the one thing they will ask you to do pretty much, there's a big yellow button no matter where you.
Speaker 3: Go submit to a test.
Speaker 2: Oh, register your email address, because you know, there's nothing more important on the Internet than your data. That's all they want is your data, man, your data. So you give them your right. If you give them your email address, they will give you They will allow you to hold your place in something you're watching. So if you watch half of Independence Day Resurgence and then put it on pause for a day and a half and come back.
Speaker 3: You're gonna almost sleepot in the middle of the night, right.
Speaker 2: So if you register, you can do it. Pluto does the same thing. And I have not registered, and my wife has not either, and she keeps complaining. She's like, I got a register because she's watching Dynasty over weeks and weeks and she keeps having to go, wait was it? Was it episode thirty two or episode thirty one, and but says, well, you can register and you can find your place. She's like, I don't want to do that, which I understand, because you're gonna get emails for the rest of your life from Tube. You do that, your your grandkids are gonna get harassed by Tube. So that would add that would help the usability. But it comes to a cause and I haven't done it now. The other thing about the use of the playback interface, how easy it is to watch rewind blah blah blah. It really depends on where you're doing it if you're doing it on your laptop or I would imagine your iPad. It's pretty good on the Apple TV, at least in my home. Uh, it's pretty bad actually, Like it's it's you move your thumb to get the cursor over and there's a lag. Now I don't think that's due to my you know, my Wi Fi, because when I do it on on the bigger red Rids machine on Netflix, it works like a charm because they're, you know, because I'm paying for that for this, They're like, what, you want me to move fast? You're not even paying So it's not Uh, it's not the best. So I give them high marks in usability for the laptop. But on my Apple TV with my little Apple remote, it's pretty crappy, I gotta say. And you got to type stuff in and you know you're using the letter you know you can't type. You're typing in if you want a doctor who E O C to it's a little bit annoying. And then in terms of the live TV section, it's almost unusable on the Apple TV because things hang. You got your screen. It's like I felt like my like my like my great grandfather. Wow, what is this. It's so much noise, it's it's total chaos on the lap.
Speaker 3: Flash and the number twelve over and over. What I do?
Speaker 2: The the live TV function on the laptop was cool, and that's how I dug down and that's how I found the twenty four hours of supermarket sweep. It was pretty cool. The one thing I will say is you can't get a moment of quiet. So when you open it up the live TV, the top channel automatically comes on. And because right now we're in the middle of the World Cup. Yes, and they like the World Cup. That's impressive because they're probably because the start of Fox. So Fox has put tossed a little World Cup on there. Yeah. And there's a lot of sports here too, like and I would imagine any sports on Fox is going to be on here. So that's great if you don't want to pay for cable or whatever. You know. I don't know if football games are on here or not, but but I had a lot of sports that I got through. So while I was invoice inventorying and look for cool stuff on the live TV, I couldn't get the World Cup to stop. And there was no X there was no mute there was no pause. And then when I was like enough these I don't the World Cup has riding me crazy, I just clicked at something at random. It was some old movie with Roslin Russell, and then she was there and Roslind Russell couldn't shut up. So I was a little bit annoyed at the lack of an off button. But so that's a ding and I didn't even get that far on my Apple TV. It was so unusable. So I give it very poor marks on usability on the Apple TV, and I give it fair marks on my computer.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will say this, the commercials are definitely a factor. But here is a twist for you, Jordan. I tell you the that ambient noise channel you were talking about. I am not sure whether it was just that channel that didn't have the commercials, because I was watching things and there were sometimes commercials, and then sometimes I would not get commercials, and I don't know if it's a glitch or I don't know how it works. Tell you, Yeah, when I was watching like Return of the Killer Tomatoes, I think I only had like one commercial break in the entire movie, and sometimes you would get something every fifteen minutes or so and other times there would be long stretches.
Speaker 2: And if they scale it based on I don't know how many times it's used. If there's something that's so rare and such such bargain basement that no one in the right mind is pressing play, they just leave it alone. But something like you said you watched Pads of Glory, which is in there, that's in the Cooper collection, that gets good placement. I watched Independence Day two right around Independence Day. They loaded that one with ads, so it could be that they have a scaling system. The more people click, the more ads get served.
Speaker 3: So yes, and I will say the one thing is like a Prime video, which even though you pay for it, you now have ads unless you I guess you can probably I think you can pay for Prime video, Prime or something where you can avoid the abs. Ads. You can't avoid the abs when you're watching something like you know with John Krasinski and at the ebbs are going to be right there. But the ad breaks are visible in the program. They show you on little with little dots on the timeline. There's going to be a commercial coming up in X number of minutes. So if you were like, okay, I need to use the restroom. Oh, I'll just wait for there to be a commercial and I'll go use it on to be again, you're they're expecting you to do the work. They're not. This is a little bit bargain basement. We don't know, we don't know when there's going to be a commercial, and they might just pop up. And that does sometimes make them more obtrusive, because you can be in the middle of a dramatic scene about the you know, the killing the potential killings of soldiers for being cowards in World War One, if you're watching Paths of Glory. But other times they're like you could be watching something and there you can go long stretches and go, you know, I haven't seen a commercial in a while, and you don't know when there's gonna be one coming up.
Speaker 2: So it's a jump scare. It's good for harbor, it is.
Speaker 3: It can be a little bit of a jump scare. All right, So what did you give your number? Did I miss it? Now I'm going to say five. I guess I'm going to say six, Yeah, five, Sam? Are you keeping track of these numbers for us? Sam?
Speaker 4: He is?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine how furious Stanley Kubrick would be at the way to be his treating Paths of Glory. He would just be I mean, this is the guy who would send notes to the projectionists on how on on what the volume levels should be at which reel and whatnot.
Speaker 3: It's not just, It's not just. It's not just two B though. I mean, on Netflix you can watch something at one point five speed. You think Kubrick would have liked that. You think you would have liked you watching Tom Cruise wander through fake New York City at one point five speed?
Speaker 2: I don't think so, Probably not, Probably not? Okay, all right, chapter Yeah. The next chapter is but reliability reliability slash, How often do you deal with crashing out of sync audio, grainy video? And my response was, seems okay. Didn't have any problem with any of the things you mentioned, except for this. I did audit some of those really kooky early Doctor Who episodes because I like early Doctor Who, and there's no way to make Doctor Who look good. I mean, unless you were to Remasgine. There's no way, because the original format was one inch videotape. But it looked particularly bad on my TV when I was streaming it on two B like it was the it was the worst I've ever seen Doctor Who. And then I watched it on my computer. I had the live Doctor Who channel on on both my computer and my TV, and it was funny because like they were like half a second out of sinc So I'm here and you know, the guy with the crazy scarf talk twice. It looked better on my TV. There was more, maybe just because the pixelization was better than the image was smaller. So if you're gonna be watching an old, old, old old thing on a bad format to begin with, stick with your computer. So everything else was fine. I mean, there's only so much you could do with old Doctor Who. But it looked unused. Like I've seen Doctor Who's streaming on other services and it hasn't looked quite as bad as it looked on to me. So I got to ding them a little bit for that.
Speaker 3: I didn't use a television. I just used my computer, which I use for a lot of viewing, and I didn't have any issues. I mean, the only thing I would say is the ads. You know, the ads are weird and random and sometimes very intrusive, but you know, like I watched Paths of Glory you know, was it as good as watching it on a beautiful criterion Blu ray or. I don't know if they have a four K, but I'm sure it wasn't. But it looked pretty good. It did not look, you know, like you know, I didn't have issues with the with the audio, with the video. It was a decent print. I know Jordan was saying earlier he had some issues with prints looking like mud so, but I didn't have any issues to speak of. I would I wish, I wish I did rewinding back and forth.
Speaker 2: It was fine. I mean, it was like a rather service.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, exactly, I guess, I will say. And maybe this was something I should have maybe mentioned in the previous segment. I don't love, at least on the laptop, that you have to rewind thirty seconds. I like a fifteen second back. Thirty is too much, you might be right, Yeah, fifteen is the right number.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: I want to maybe I want I missed a line, or I want to rewatch a reaction or a specific shot. I don't need to go back thirty seconds. That's too much, You're right.
Speaker 2: I just watched something on Disney Plus last night on my computer, and they had the fifteen, which is the I even thought to myself, that's the right amount. It's perfect. So it's it's pretty good. I give it a seven.
Speaker 3: I give it an eight.
Speaker 2: The next category is quality. Quality in terms of the.
Speaker 3: Well it's well, let me let me interrupt, it's quality slash variety of originals originals? Okay, how often do you want to watch and how often do you actually watch the original programming?
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna be honest with you. I didn't really understand the assignment. I give this it incomplete. I didn't actually watch any to be originals. I did see a few of them. They looked mostly like podcasts, but what I and there was one that I thought was an original. It was like it was like these two people just talking. I don't know what it was, but I did. I was amazed at the live TV, the depth of it, like the Bob Ross channel. Uh there was I mentioned for there was no chill out stuff like on Pluto. But they did have a channel devoted to BBC Earth, which I thought was pretty cool, Like that's what I could see using a lot. Then they had a chat so funny they had these Remember there was a I say it's like two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine when they had all these shows Ice Road Truckers and Alaska Fishermen, all these like guys at work in dangerous jobs. And there was a show that I actually did watch once for like I got sucked in the in the in the tractor beam and watched it for like an afternoon called Axemen.
Speaker 3: Do you remember ax Men? It was a popular shotdown. I'm like, maybe the name sounds vaguely familiar. I never reached it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was about these guys. It was about loggers in Oregon chopping down trees and and there's a twenty four hour channel of axe Men. The people who we're in axe Men aren't even going to be watching the mom of the head axe Man even they're not going to be watching this. It's ridiculous. So it was just sort of like I was really impressed with the depth of it. And then there were some other things that I thought were originals, but they were just YouTube channels on the live TV. And this is where I'm the kind of I'm not in the demographic, but a lot of these were like streamers, like just people talking, not like political streamers like you see in the new like you know, these loudmouth racists and what and it wasn't like that. But there was something called Jubilee TV. And I have seen clips of this online from the from the youth. It's like these dating shows that are in like a white void where they get a lot of sexy girls and tight clothes and a lot of honky guys and tight clothes and they like kind of flirt with each other. And I was like, oh, that's where this comes from. It's it's something called Jubilee TV. And I clicked on it and it was like dating. It's a YouTube channel but they just have on this So that's as far. That's as close as I got to originals. I was impressed by the depth of it if I liked the particular podcasters, like there was one there was like these two guys in a gal they were yapping in front of their mics, and I was like, who are these people? I think it's called Mythic, but I think it's called Mythic And I googled Mythic and it's like a popular podcast since twenty twelve, Like, oh right, you kidding me, They've been around that long. Who are these people. So I'm a little bit out of it on this, but I did not watch any two BE Originals. Did you actually watch any two BE Originals?
Speaker 3: Well, no, I didn't watch any. I didn't know that to Be had originals until we were doing this episode and I did some searching on their interface, and sure enough, there is a category. They have a category on there for to Be Originals, and it's quite long, shockingly long, all filled with things that looked frankly very bad. I mean, there wasn't one thing that look It looked a lot of things that looked like they previous and a previous life would have been in Red Box originals, you know what I mean. That's the kind of material we're looking at. You know, we're talking about a weekly talk show called The Other Football featuring Ron Gronkowski, a cartoon called The Freak Brothers, a WWE wrestling show called Evolve, a what looked kind of like an asylum mockbuster called Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch. They had two direct to video War of the World's I guess sequels or spinoffs or ripoffs called War of the World's Annihilation and also War of the World's Extinction there was a show called Busted on Bodycam that I bet is fantastic. But I guess looking through this page did make me realize. Okay, I guess occasionally I do get pr emails about to be originals. I if they've released anything that has made any sort of an impact on broader popular culture, I don't know what that would be. I don't think that's happened yet. And the fact that you didn't even know that there were any and and you now, granted you probably should have read a little more carefully and known what you were looking for, but in looking around, you didn't come across anything. Now, these were all marked to be original. So the fact that you didn't find these on your own, no looking through, and you did look through this this service a lot. I think that says something also about the way that even though they have these things, they're kind of siloed off a little bit, and they there's.
Speaker 2: A degree of information overload. When you're on these things. It's like it's there's all these images come in your way. There's like, oh my god, independency Resurgence, I should watch that and like, wow, they have the killing too, holy smoke, right, So it's a lot.
Speaker 3: I looked to see, is there one of these that looks even remotely interesting that maybe it's worth giving it a shot, And I ultimately was like, I don't want to watch any of these. That's why I wound up watching Paths of Glory in Return of the Killer Tomatoes is like, I would much rather spend my time watching things like that. And so I looked through the selection and watched none, And I feel like that's it. That's its own damning review in and of itself. So what do you want to give these?
Speaker 2: I'll give it like, I'll give it a three. I'll give I'll give a three because I'm impressed by what I'm referring to. I guess I'm giving it three, but I should give it a zero. But I'm giving it a three because to me, all that weird stuff on the live section, that uh, that Jubilee TV thing, the dating stuff, like all of that axe men, the Bob Ross channel, I'm calling that originals because where the hell else am I going to see twenty four hours of Bob Ross. Now, let me ask you, Ron Grigkowski is the other football? What is the other football?
Speaker 3: I think it's soccer. I think it's more of their World Cup related material.
Speaker 2: Is he a soccer player? Ron gronkowk No, he's a football player. That's why he's the other football because he's.
Speaker 3: Talking about the other football meaning football meaning soccer.
Speaker 2: Why would they get him to do it? He's the worst guy to do it. Should get a soccer player to do it.
Speaker 3: Well, he's kind of a you know, he's a celebrity and media personality.
Speaker 2: Now I disagree. I think that's a really dumb idea. And now I get a good idea. I said, That's why I just said what it was. I'm not a development executive at two B. What do you bring me on blast for? What's up? It's Rock and Jamus and we're both super excited for the World.
Speaker 4: Cup coming up and need a brush up on a soccer knowledge.
Speaker 2: So what score?
Speaker 3: You gave it a three?
Speaker 2: I give it a three.
Speaker 3: I'm giving it a one.
Speaker 2: Wow, good for you.
Speaker 3: Okay, Finally, the price? How much is it is it worth? The price? It's free? Now it's free. It's not great in terms of originals. The ads are not ideal, but you can't beat that price.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ads really suck. I mean, I could imagine what it was like watching a real movie like The Killing or Sorry of Pads of Glory. Like I said, I was watching Independence State two, which, by the way, Matt Singer, have you seen Independence States?
Speaker 3: I saw Independence Day Resurgence and yes, put a little respect on its title Independence Day Colon Resurgence. I saw it in the theater on opening night because they did not have breast screenings for that.
Speaker 2: It is it is. I knew it was going to be bad. Everybody everybody's it is truly horrible. I was not prepared for just how bad it is. It is actually so bad it's good. I actually recommend it and maybe one day we should cover it. No, it is u shockingly bad. Like laughing, I was all of what I wasn't treating. I was laughing. But those ads did annoy the f atemy. So I got to say. It's free. But at a certain point, it's like pay three ninety nine, Like if you're gonna watch like the good movies like Raging Bull is on there. If if you don't want to have a way to watch Raging Bull for free, maybe spend three ninety nine and rent it on Amazon or Apple for for Killer Tomatoes, watch it with the ads for independency resurgers. Watch it with the ads, but for something that you actually want to have a mature, cinematic encounter with, unless you're absolutely broke and you're in debt. I mean, I don't know. Maybe some of our listeners are in debt and and and should not even be you know, should be donating blood instead of listening to the show. But if you have a job and three ninety nine to spare, sometimes don't go to tub. So I'm of mixed feelings. It's free, but there is no free lunch. Nothing's free. You're getting these ads. The ads suck. You're hearing about Jardians and diabetes pills really loud all the time. So I'm gonna give it a seven. I give it a seven. It's seven. Look, maybe Sam is making a high face.
Speaker 3: Maybe our listeners, maybe our listeners are are they're listening while they're donating blood? Did you think about that? Look, you're you're right. I mean, it's not the way. It is not the way that Stanley and Kubrick intended you to watch Pads of Glory. But he didn't intend you to watch it on a television at all. So and I am of the generation as is Sam and Jordan that we we grew up watching things with ads. There was, you know, like yes, yes, we had HBO and movies would play on HBO without commercial interruption, and for a while they aired that way on AMC as well, but at a certain point AMC, which is where I watched a lot of movies growing up, and even PBS. I used to watch the first time I watched The Sting was on PBS, and every ten minutes I would be into there was it was a pledge drive for God's sake, and I have to sit through them. And I was enraptured by this movie, but I still had to sit through them yacking about tote pegs.
Speaker 2: So alp Roman, what did your money?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, So that's not saying that's I'm not necessarily defending the ads. All I'm saying is that I am kind of I'm sort of used to that at this point or in some way it's almost nostalgic to me to watch a movie with ads, and if they're not too obtrusive, and if they're not put in two haphazardly, it doesn't bother me that much, or if they're not so long some of these fast channels or services you go to put on an you know, when there's an AD break, it's three and a half minutes sometimes and that's too much. Thirty seconds, I can I can give you thirty seconds to sell me, you know, pills, blood pressure, pills. Three and a half minutes of ads, and a lot of times they don't have a lot of inventory, so you see the same ad three times. That drives me crazy that I can't stand. But that was not the experience I had.
Speaker 2: I know it to be. I know every potentially negative side effect of Jardians, so I can list of You might have chronic constipation if you're on Jardians, so you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, so the ads are not ideal, but I think, you know, as a small price to pay for some of we missed it. They have some good movies on you if you're willing to put up with the ads. I feel like it's kind of Honestly, I walked out of this experience thinking Toby has more stuff than I realized, and I am gonna use it more in the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So for the price you said seven, I'll give it an eight. I will give it an eight. And so Sam will always making faces ooh faces. We can't hear him, he's muted, but Sam's making ooh faces. So Sam, I think let's take a break.
Speaker 7: You don't even have to take a break. I got total talate it all up. I did it while you were you had.
Speaker 3: Enough talkers and toes to count this up. I did a break.
Speaker 7: Well, you threw in the point five, which of course complicated things. But remarkably, you guys came out almost exactly with the same number. Uh, you're Jordan. You came out at a total of thirty and Matt thirty point five.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 7: What we don't have is to we don't have the numbers that we compare it to where Netflix came out.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm going to look for it. I think I have it. Let me, I think I put it in the in our little channel. Here, hold on, I'm scrolling back.
Speaker 2: While you're it is. I have it.
Speaker 3: Here, I have it.
Speaker 2: I have it.
Speaker 3: Okay, once again, we're ready. We're really fast. You're ready. Here it is for our first So what when we did this for Netflix? Matt, that's me gave Netflix a twenty nine, meaning I gave two be a slightly better score. Wow, and Jordan gave a thirty three. So Jordan prefers Netflix to two BE according to.
Speaker 2: These, yeah, and I jamat I stand by that.
Speaker 3: So then it's then the system works exclamation point. Yeah, but that's our that's our state of streaming of two B.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just feel like it's important to mention the listeners that though rare, Jardians can cause a dangerous build up of acid in the blood, even if your blood sugar is not extremely high. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, and troubled breathing.
Speaker 3: The pill the Big Side. Now, normally we recommend another title that relates to our main review on the show this week, because we're talking all about to Be, who are just gonna recommend something on to Be in our boxers Rezig? All right, it's the recommendation segment. It's the rec sag Jordan, do you have something you want to recommend on two B besides ambient noise to fall asleep to?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm gonna make it quick. I do want to give a shout out to to Be because two of my very recent rec seggs were available, What's Up Doc, which I mentioned a few weeks ago. I forget what that was connected to. Probably a romantic comedy. And The in Laws, which I adore, which we talked about last week with The Little Brother, because it's about the the you know, the the tightly wound Alan Arkin and the spasmodic Tasmanian Devil played by Peter Falk both to be films. I looked around and I almost recommended something just because it's a deep cut and I've never seen it. And I said, and you can't recommend a movie you've never seen, but I've never seen Roman Polanski's what you know about what? It was? A movie he made like in between movies. It's like a very weird thing in his catalog. And I've never seen it, and now I know it's on toob but I can't recommend it because I never saw it. But they did have one of my favorite sci fi psychedelic freak out movies ever man, and that is Altered States. Oh William hurt in a tank of saltwater, reverting to a primordial state, regressing, regressing into it. I'm eating I'm eating a goat. There is a line for the movie, I'm drinking goat's blood. I'm eating a goat. What a movie.
Speaker 3: These are not lines from the movie. These are things that Jordan texted me in the last week. I'm sorry, we have to be honest here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Altered States is not a deep cut. I would imagine most people have heard of it or seen it. But if you, if by chance, you've never seen it, it's so goddamn good's It was came out in the eighties, nineteen eighty, but it's really an early seventies kind of freak out movie. It's got Bob Balabanon A two, which is always worthwhile. It's William hurt Is, a PhD in I don't know, neurology or something, and he's experimenting with weird types of payote and whatnot and isolation tanks, which I know Joe Rogan is into. You go into a tank and your spirit and your body separate, and so he mixes it too. He crosses the streams, he takes the payote and goes in the tank and he becomes a wolfman basically, and I just love And it's Ken Russell directed it, and he's at his most in you know, Ken Russell is a pretty extravagant filmmaker, and when he's got a budget. He just throws it all up there on the screen. It's it's so good, and it's a New York Circle nineteen seventy nine, nineteen eighty. It's great, and it's over the top, and it's pre possible, and it kind of is a look at psychedelic culture a little bit. It's based on a book that Patti Chayevsky wrote, and I think that book was more about, you know, a true investigation into psychedelic research, and this is more just like look at the Crazy Lights Man. But I can't get enough of all the states. I've seen it many times. You love this movie too, right, that's it? Now?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't. It's fine, bo, that's whatever. You don't like it, not really?
Speaker 2: No, oh to too wacky, too crazy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is what it is. You know, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Wow. Maybe it's just because I don't know. I don't know. I thought, I think it's really good.
Speaker 6: I'm an attending physician at the Peter bed Brigham Hospital and I'm not gonna listen to.
Speaker 2: Any more of your bum.
Speaker 3: When was the last time you watched it?
Speaker 2: Uh? Not that long ago. I saw it at the Metrograph. They had a double feature of Ken Russell, and I went and saw it there on thirty five and was just like, well, this is so deep. Man just turned into a goat. But it's so good. I I you know, it scratches my psychedelic itch. I mean, you know, I saw Pink Floyd the Wall when I was maybe too young, and I've been chasing that dragon ever since. Man, But I I respond to this type of filmmaking. You know, I like movies like Mandy and.
Speaker 3: You willingly go to dozens of fish concerts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you go to fish conferences, you're gonna like the movie Altered. If you go to fish conscints, you've already seen Altered.
Speaker 3: Hell, if you start sets exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Sam, do you like Altered States? Come on?
Speaker 7: Never seen seen it?
Speaker 2: Dragged into this? You've never seen it? Watch it?
Speaker 3: Don't watch it? On Toby? Do you watch it?
Speaker 7: My question was, should you watch Altered States? If you're taking the medication that that they spawned.
Speaker 3: Could he create an all state? Is that one of the side effects may turn you Side effects include turning you into a goat? All right, So my recommendation for two B besides pads of glory, we already talked about, and I guess Return of the Killer Tomatoes. But I was I one night when I was flipping around on there, I put something else on, and I also fell asleep, not watching patle Glory, not watching Return of the Killer Tomatoes. I was watching something that shall go unnamed, and I fell asleep, and when I woke up, TWOB was still playing on my computer. It had auto played through a bunch of titles. It kind of did a you know, like related title game of telephone where it took me to from one thing to the next to the next. And the thing that it wound up on was the thing I'm gonna recommend because it's actually one of my all time favorite TV shows, The Twilight Zone. The entire Twilight Zone is another show that you can stream in its totality on TOOB. And I'm going to imagine most people know what the towilet it Zone is, but it is, of course the classic fifties and sixties horror in sci fi anthology series created by and hosted by Rod Serling, and uh, you know, it's been revived many times, but this is the original classic Twilight Zone that is on there, and the entire look that looked like the entire show is on there every episode if you wanted to do a binge. And you know, the nice part about an old TV show like this is the ads are not intrusive because they were built with ad breaks.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a really good point.
Speaker 3: And when I watched, I watched one episode that I've seen every episode of the Twilight Zone. It is one of my favorite shows. And I rewatched one and actually one of the ad breaks had no ads. It just went to dart, it went to black and it came right back up. So again, that's what I was talking about about the ads or not I think I watched. I had one ad break in an in a twenty eight minute episode, and good look if you're you know, there's so many famous episodes of the show, I don't need to recommend those. I'll throw out one less well known episode that I like, and that's the one I rewatched just to see does it look good on two b is it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Did they cut it up? Or everything look great? The episode I rewatched is called the Silence episode twenty five of season two, written by Rod Serling, directed by Boris Segal, who went on to make the Omega Man with Charlton Heston. It's a fun episode because, unlike most Twilight Zones, where of course there's a there is a twist in this episode. There's always the almost always was a twist at the end of every Twilight Zone. But this one is not a supernatural or futuristic or sci fi episode basically at all. It is a It is a very sort of mundane by those standards episode. It is set entirely in like this snooty gentleman's club where this guy won't shut up. One of the members is very talkative talk talk talk talk, talk, talk talk, and one of the other members hates him and is sick of listening to him, and so he offers him a a bet. If the loudmouth will shut up for one whole year, he will pay him five hundred thousand dollars, which that's a lot of money now, but this is nineteen sixty one we're talking about, so it's a lot of money. And so in twenty eight minutes you watch the wager develop. You see this guy. Now, to make sure he doesn't cheat, he has to live for a year, and this to me seems much harder than keeping quiet. He has to live inside a glass zoo enclosure basically inside the gentleman's club, the club, the private club, a club for gentlemen, not a strip club.
Speaker 2: Guys in like the lure roles with a big fireplace and.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly men with balding men smoking cigars in front of fireplaces and talking about their stock portfolios. So he has to live inside a zoo enclosure inside the club for a year. And it has not one, but two very clever twists, and it has, you know, for an old TV show. The Twilight Zone, of course, except for a handful of episodes, was shot on film, often by up and coming directors who went on to do great things. And it has some really lovely camera work, some wonderful close ups. There's close ups of ears twitching as they listen to horrible motormouth guy talking. There are close ups on mouths moving. There are interesting angles on like notepads. The guy can only communicate by writing on notepads, all that kind of stuff. So there's a lot of great Twilight Zones. That's just one I thought I would throw out that probably the listeners have not seen that I enjoy. But again, you can watch the entire series. It is streaming on on to B.
Speaker 4: You will perhaps withstand the pressures for three or four weeks, maybe a couple of months, and then you will succumb. That's again. In the meantime, I will derive several months of exquisite silence.
Speaker 2: I love the Twilet Zone. Of course, I love the Twilight Zone. I have not seen every episode to wit, I have not seen the silence. I just googled. There are one hundred and fifty six episodes at Twilight Zone, and I don't know how many I've seen, but I certainly have not seen all one fifty six.
Speaker 3: A few years ago, I went and watched all the one. I think it was streaming on either Netflix or some other service, and I watched every single one, and I actually ranked every single one on screen crush. The article is still up on screen crush dot com, and so good for you. You can use that as your kind of guide. You know, a lot of the famous ones are at the top of the list. There's a reason that you know. You know, Time Enough at Last is a famous episode of the Twilight Zone, and to serve man as a famous episode, but there are because there's one hundred and sixty of them. They're not all great, but there's a lot of really good ones. And so even in like the time fifty of that list, you're gonna find a lot of great TV that you could watch.
Speaker 2: So I just want to let the listeners know that it is for free on two B, it is for free on Pluto, and it might be interesting to see where their ad breaks are different and if they are compared, if they're advertising different diabetes drugs on that one, and I will say it is if you want no ads, you can watch all five seasons of the Twilight Zone on Paramount Plus, Paramount Paramount Plus.
Speaker 3: Or Paramount plus plus. If you pay for Basic Paramount Plus, you still get ads.
Speaker 9: So no, really, yes, yes, yes, oh god, so you have to pay for para.
Speaker 3: It's not called Paramount plus plus. But I think from now on, anytime there's a service that has ads and no ads, we have to call the no ad version plus plus. Let's get to our personalized recommendation. Are you ready to this? One? I think comes from the film Spotting discord, where if you are a member of the film Spotting Patreon, you can access this discord. We have our own channel over there where we're hanging out or we're shooting the breeze, we're talking. I know.
Speaker 2: I apologize to the listeners. I have never known.
Speaker 3: It's good we can make fun of you because you're not in there. We get to make fun of you.
Speaker 2: When we hang up. I'm gonna ask Sam to send me the password again because I haven't been in there. But the listener request comes this week from Thomas quiz Master Todd. Yes, and he says that he's looking for a hangout comedy, which is great, and I'm going, yeah, quiz Master Todd, I'm with you. A hangout Comedy's a great idea. But then I gotta give quiz Master Thomas Todd hats off. He says, I'm looking for a hangout comedy. Allah. Happy endings, Sure, And I don't know about you, man, I don't know about you, Sam, But I go, what the hell's happy endings? What is he talking about? And Happy Endings is a little remembered nineteen ninety eight film by Don Russ, director of the Opposite of Sex and Bounce, which starred Lisa Kudro, Steve Coogan, Bobby Canavale, Maggie gill A Hall, Laura Dern and the Great Tom Arnold and I never actually saw Happy Endings. I it sounds good. I'd like to see it, but I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if I saw it or not. I don't remember. But there it is. I know, you know, you know why I know it. Jordan tell me it coined. It was the inspiration for the coining of the term hyperlink cinema. That was the movie that a film critic for Film Comment, her name I haven't written down, Alyssa Quart was writing about this movie in Film Comment and created the coin that term hyperlink cinema, which is is a lot of the examples are not comedies, and they're not hangout comedies, which is sort of the problem I encountered here. But hyperlink cinema is like a movie about a scene or a time and a place where a bunch of people are like intersecting stories all set around either a place or like an idea, like like a god help us crash the car, the car trash racism solving movie. Crash is a hyperlink cinema film. Syriana is a is a hyperlint Traffic is a hyperlink cinema film.
Speaker 2: Yeah is is shortcuts with that COMMU absolutely shortcuts.
Speaker 3: Nashville even hyperlink. Those are classic examples. But anyway, that's why I know it is that it is the film that that maybe inspired is a bit strong, but it was the moment when that term, which is a useful term, was coined.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, FYI Sam corrected me, it's from two thousand and five and not yes, two thousand and five, And I love all those actors. I haven't seen it, but I was impressed that our listener would be like, hey, like happy Endings, Like that's a movie that everybody's conversing in, you know, it's like a something like Raise, a Lost Dark, The Godfather. Happy.
Speaker 3: One of those checks out for me. So what's your recommendation?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, so a hangout comedy? I went big. I just just said, what's the first one that comes to mind? The first one that comes to mind is with Nail and I. It's the most hangout of all comedies. There's no plot. The plot is two guys with Nolan. I is a British film for the late nineteen eighties. It stars Richard E. Grant. It catapulted him into Richard Y Grant dumb. It's the most Richardy Grant movie ever made. He plays with Noel. He's a wacky wanna be actor in sixties Britain. And somebody else played Eye. I don't even remember that actor's name. And somebody else played the gay uncle. And the movie is about nothing. It's about two guys who are broke in London. They're out of work actors, and they're so broke. They're depressed about their apartment. They say, hey, we want to go for a weekend in the country. Richardy Grant's uncle has a country house. They say, can we stay there for a while. He says okay. They go there. There's no heat, the water doesn't work, it's raining, they're caveetching. They stay drunk. Then they go back to London and something happens in the movie ends, and that's it. But it is a cult classic. And when you went for me anyhow, i'd heard about the movie before I saw it. You gotta see with Nilan, I you gotta see with Noia. It's incredible, And I did watch it on VHS. I rented it, and I will say that I was a little bit unimpressed because I had not been prepared for the fact that there's virtually no story. It's all character riffing, it's all hanging out with those people, and I was like, what was this movie? And then it lingered and I saw it a second time and I'm like, this is a masterpiece. Same thing for me with Harold and Maud. First time I saw Harold and Maud and I'm like, what the hell's going on here? And then I realized that it was actually quite good. So the thing about with Nila and I is it's all about Richard Y Grant. It's based on this guy's memoirs and the guy who directed it and wrote it. He originally was an actor in the late sixties. He was in some of the Zephyrrelli films, a British actor and his name, I should probably say his name Bruce Robinson, I think. If it's not correct, Samuel correct me, and it is Bruce Robinson.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So, and he never did anything as good. He made another movie with Richardie Grant called How to Get Ahead in Advertising, which is kind of a sci fi premise, and then he this is it, this is this is this is his the movie from his heart And how do you even get into talking Richardie Grant is just like drunk all the time and flamboyant, and he's a want to be actor and here everything is oh blah blah. I mean, the most famous line is they go into a little, a little t shop in the middle of rural Britain. All these old Grannis are in there and they're drunk and they're like, sir, you must leave, and he's like, we shall stay. We demand wine. We shall have the finest wines known to humanity. We want them here, and we want them now.
Speaker 4: We want the.
Speaker 7: Finest wines available to humanity. We want them here and we want them now.
Speaker 2: Miss Blenda has it. There are no real punchlines in the movie, but there's like everything is quotable. So it's just so funny. And there have been times in my life when I've said, when I've been in a restaurant and I whip out, we shall have the finest lines that most of humanity, and people get the joke.
Speaker 3: It's very funny, it is, and everyone thinks I'm really funny when I did it.
Speaker 2: Every love.
Speaker 4: Best.
Speaker 2: He's like Richardy Grant. The movie is a classic handmade films production. This is George Harrison's production company, who, of course George Harrison got into the movie business because he liked Monty Python and Monty Python was having trouble with their financing, and George Harrison said, I would like to see more Monty Python, and I am insanely rich. Here is a check, Monty Python, go make another movie. And then that movie was successful. I forgot. I think that was Life of Brian. I think it was after Holy Grail.
Speaker 3: I believe that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, So he's like, oh, you're having trouble financing Life of Brian. I want to see it, you guys rule. And then Life of Brian was a financial success, and George Harrison's like, film film producing, this is easy. So he founded a company and many of his movie were successful, and he was involved. He wasn't just a silent partner. He was involved in Time Bandits. He was involved.
Speaker 3: Playing the sitar, he was playing guitar.
Speaker 2: He was involved in The Long Good Friday. He Handmade Films. Was one of the great independent film pressing companies out of Britain, and they made extremely British movies. That's what I like. They weren't because they didn't have to make a profit, so he didn't have to worry about being mainstream. He made the movies that he wanted to make, and one of them was this and it's probably maybe one of the best handmade films in the bunch. So if you haven't seen it, watch it, but watch it knowing it is the ultimate hangout movie. There truly is no plot. The plot is they hang out in London, they hang out up in the country in a cottage with no heat, and then they hang out a little bit in London again, and then next thing you know, it's been ninety eight minutes. It is time to go home. That's it. But it's great. I love it. You love it too, right, Matt Singer?
Speaker 3: Of course, sure, yes, yes, more than altered States. Let's let's put it that way. You want me to tell people where it's streaming, because I'm going to just guess.
Speaker 2: That you don't know to be no, Toby, that's the whole point.
Speaker 3: Is it on to b Okay, I didn't see.
Speaker 2: That's why I picked it, I hope so well.
Speaker 3: It's also it's also available on the Criterion Channel and HBO Max at the moment, so whether Jordan is correct or not, those are alternate options as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I goofed up. We were done with the Tub chapter. Now it's not on TV. I got confused, but it's on It's on HBO Max's it is.
Speaker 3: Available for streaming. You could also, I mean it is also you can get a physical copy. You could rent it. But yeah, if you want to stream it, it's on Criterion right now, and it's on HBO Max.
Speaker 2: And YouTube Television and and of course three as always, as always, three ninety nine on Amazon blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, unlike Jordan, I did not goof up. I made sure mine was streaming on to B and I was actually looking to see if I could find like one of these real hyperlink kind of movies, and there were some that one I felt was a little just too obvious, which was Slacker Richard Link Later Slacker definitely qualifies. That is available on tub and then Jim Jarmish's Coffee and Cigarettes is also on there. That's close. That's really more of an anthology film than a hyperlink film, because the stories are not really like crossing over anything. I don't love that movie, but if that's you know, again, that's very much a hangout movie. I mean, that really is very very close as well. That's also on TB. But the movie that I picked, I saw something that it's close enough and it's one of my favorite movies that I love to champion, So I'm gonna that's what I'm picking here. It is. I think of it as a hangout movie. I definitely has men and women hanging out, shooting the breeze, drinking, commiserating about their lives, their jobs, about getting older. It is a great comedy. It is a movie I to turn two for comfort, comic comfort. The older I get, the more I like it. It is the film Whipper trying to guess. I just oh, I.
Speaker 2: Would never have guessed.
Speaker 3: Now, I didn't think you would. It's Hooper, which is the Burt Reynolds vehicle directed by Hal Needham. This is their follow up to Smokey and the Bandit, which was also also had Burt Reynolds and Sally Field. All three of them redeemed for Hooper and how need Him and Bert Reynolds had an interesting kind of dynamic as filmmakers. They were friends. How need Him was Burt reynolds stunt double early in both of their careers. That's how they became friends. And then hell need Him as he got older, got into stunt coordinating, got into second unit directing. He wanted to direct movies, and Bert becomes a bigger and bigger star and he says, oh, well, let's make a movie. And that's how Smokey and the Bandit happened is that Hal Needham had the idea and Bert said, if you let my buddy Hall direct it, I'll be in it. And that's what happened. And the next movie they made after that was a huge hit. They got a bit of a blank check, you might say, to make something else, and they made Hooper, which was a much more personal film where Bert basically plays hal Needham, this kind of aging stunt man and stunt coordinator. He is working on a movie at the time where he's doubling a very famous actor, Jordan, do you know the actor who he's doubling.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I haven't seen it in a long time, so I don't remember.
Speaker 3: It is Adam West playing himself. Adam West, awesome, is the star of the movie. Bert is his double, and it's a big stunt filled movie, Hollywood movie. And while they're working on it, this new up and coming stunt man appears on the scene, played by Jan Michael Vincent, and the movie is them hanging out, getting drunk, riding horses, falling out of Building's typical guy stuff, you know. But then the two of them kind of get into like a frenemy rivalry where they each want to prove because this is a it's their stuntman, their macho there's competition. They want to be the best, and so this rivalry starts to build that leads to this epic stunt filled car chase sequence at the end of the movie, which if you haven't seen Hooper, the stunts throughout the movie are great, but the ending is really incredible, and you go, no one should have done this. This looks so dangerous. This was such a bad idea, but they pulled it off and the stunts are spectacular, and you would expect nothing less. It's a movie directed by a stunt man about these guys who were, you know, throughout Hollywood history up until today, basically are kind of you know, kept hidden, not valorized, their sacrifices, their work are not treated well. Thankfully. I think, is it next year or is it the year after, we are finally getting an Oscar for Best Stunt Design. So finally st stuntmen and stunt coordinators are going to start to get a little bit of credit awards recognition, which is great. But this movie is kind of like, you know, like shining a light on this world of stuntmen that was you know, just it was kind of just pushed to the side and ignored. And it's a funny movie. It's a breezy movie. There isn't a villain. There isn't really a plot beyond we're making a movie and we're hanging out. And Bert Reynolds is great in it. Obviously, he became more of a punchline later in his career. He was you know, mocked on SNL, Celebrity Jeopardy, and he made a lot of shlock. He would show up for a paycheck. But he's great in this movie. He is absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 2: It's really good. And Sally Field is Calli.
Speaker 3: Field is great. They were in a real life couple at the time. They have great chemistry together on screen. And the thing that I really like about it, and the reason that I do like it more and more as I get older, is Bert was like forty two forty three ish when he made it, roughly around my age. I'm now a little older. But part of the movie is about getting older. He is the old guy on the scene now even though he's only forty two. He can't you know, he's got he's got scars and bandages, and there's a.
Speaker 2: Scene issues that's, yeah, I was worried about his back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And there's a scene early in the movie where he's just looking at himself in the mirror, almost naked. He's got underwear on, I guess or whatever, and he's looking at himself and he's just so disgusted with himself. And he's Burt Reynolds, and he looks great, but but you know, when you're forty two, everything looks bad to you. And I really, I really love that about it. That it's that it's a movie about even a big, you know, ego maniacal movie star like Burt could like kind of let himself look a little flabby and a little old and a little sag.
Speaker 2: He wasn't concerned about being Yeah, there's a little there's a self deprecatingness to the movie that really serves it. Well. It's uh, it's probably I mean, I would have to really look back at every Burt Reynolds movie, but maybe Deliverance is better, but it's a different kind of movie. I think show my favorite. It's my favorite Burt Reynolds move with laughs for sure. It is another ball run. It's better than Smoking the Band, the original Smoking in the bandit is great too.
Speaker 3: That's another movie that I watch a lot. I actually, you know, like I didn't. I was not a kid who was watching Burt Reynolds movies. He was just a little before my time to be like a kid growing up on those movies. But I can also Smoking the bandit is a movie I watch at least once a year that it just kind of chills. It's a great, chill out, fun movie. And this is one of those for me as well. I've watched it a bunch lately, and it's like when I can't think of what to watch, I put on I put on a little Hooper so and it is streaming on to.
Speaker 2: Be I don't believe I was going over fifty five, you were going fifty five backwards. Well that's not I guess the law is it unsafe backing? Silly law, It's still a law. Let's sum up the rec seg real quick, because we got to get to our game. The rec segs that are available on two B. I picked the Ken Russell Psychedelic Freak Out Altered States. Matt Singer cut picked the entire five seas of Twilight Zone, specifically watching the episode of the Silence from SEM two, and then for our hangout comedies, I picked the British film with Nol, which is spelled with nail like a hammer and nail, but it's pronounced with nol withnel and I from eighty seven, and Matt Singer picked nineteen seventy eight Hooper, directed by Hal Needham. And that's the Rex sag. Do you want to say rexseg real quick? You want to shout out?
Speaker 3: That's all right, I said it. I just need to say it once. That's okay. We don't need to run it into the ground.
Speaker 2: Well, then I think what we should run into is our game, because I'm eager to play Sam's new game.
Speaker 3: All right, Sam's here for our game segment. I stole his title and I used it in my intro to the episode. I already know what it's called to be or not to be, but I have no idea what we're going to be playing. What is to be or not to be? Sam, Well, it was funny.
Speaker 7: I talked about this briefly at the before we started recording. You know, I sort of was tinkering with it this morning, and tinkering is it while you as we're talking, I have to admit. So let's see how it goes. To be or not to be is the name of the game. But actually it's more like to be and not to be. These are these are films. These are questions about films that are and are not on the streaming service to be TV. So the catch here that I threw at you before we record it is we're gonna try something with bidding. All of the answers to these questions or these prompts have multiple, you know, four to ten potential answers. I originally was going to say, just name two quickly, buzz in name two. We're gonna try bidding where you guys will alternate giving a chance to bid how many answers you think you can give, and the other person will have a chance to outbid. And I think, how we're gonna try it here, We're just trying. We're flying by the seat of our pants here. If you make a bid and you fail to meet that bid, then the other person gets those points that you bid to say, You're like, I'm gonna get four, right, you only get three. The other person get gets those four points. That's just how we're gonna We're gonna try to do it, all right, Okay, and we'll just see how it goes. So I guess we'll jump into that.
Speaker 3: Are any questions, Let's just let's dive in.
Speaker 7: You one, I'll go a question.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll figure it out, all right, So.
Speaker 7: Matt, you won the last game I did, so I'm gonna give you the chance to make the first bid. But there's a seven okay question, I'm going hopefully this won't take forty minutes like last week's game. All right, here we go. There are several Best Picture winners on two B, from nineteen twenty seven's Wings which you mentioned to yes, twenty twenty two's Everything Everywhere, All at Once, I think, according to letterbox anyway, the most popular current title on two B. Some decades have several Best Picture winners, some have none. In the twenty tens, there are three Best Picture winners from the twenty tens, from the two thousands, zero on TWOBE the nineteen thirties all ten, all ten Best Picture winners. Maybe maybe some of the women in the public domain. I have no idea, but all ten. So for this question, we're going with the Best Picture winners from the nineteen sixties oh R to B, meaning six are not to be. So I'm going to name the four that are, and then you're going to pick the six, and you're going to say up to six that you can keep.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So I have a very important question. Yes, these are the nineteen sixties. So is this nineteen sixty through sixty nine or sixty one through seven?
Speaker 7: Okay, this is a good question. I believe these are the films were released in nineteen sixty through nineteen sixty nine, right, Okay.
Speaker 2: You understand what I'm saying. This is the twenty first set. There is no use.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: I thought about this.
Speaker 7: I think we got it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Nineteen sixty is the sixties, nineteen seventy is the seventies.
Speaker 2: I think I understand.
Speaker 7: I concur But but there's also the Oscar year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thats complicated as well.
Speaker 2: But these are released in sixty through sixty nine. Yeah, I think I can do well. I think I can do well on them.
Speaker 3: Okay. So the.
Speaker 7: Actually in the chat the four that are ineligible because the four these are for to be. Okay, put them in the chat so you can see it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So these are the ones that are on to b.
Speaker 7: The Apartment West Side Story, all of our exclamation Point and Midnight Cowboy are to be. So there are six titles that are not to be.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna if this is allowed, I'm just gonna write down so I don't forget. I'm I'm jotting notes down of the ones that I know for sure. Okay, So you want me to bid, You want me to bid?
Speaker 7: How many can you get of the six?
Speaker 3: Well, I just very quickly I could think of two. So i'll bid too. If you can do more than that, Jordan, you go right ahead.
Speaker 2: Uh, I don't know that I can. Okay, a ship, all right, I'll let you do it, all right, Okay for you to the.
Speaker 3: Two that I have are let's hope I'm right in the Heat of the Night and Tom Jones. Those are the two that I that came to.
Speaker 7: Mind, our best picture winners in the nineteen sixties. Two points for Matt Okay. The others are Lawrence of Arabia, Big big big title of course, yeah, my fair Lady. Yeah, the Sound of Music. Sure, and movies probably the tough one Man for all seasons.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that movie.
Speaker 7: That one great Best Picture winner?
Speaker 2: What did it beat? Because that deserved.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'm being quizzed. Who's asking?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: If you asked the next question and I'll look that up.
Speaker 2: So all right, oh you do that.
Speaker 7: Okay, we're on to number two. Okay, So Jordan, you get the first babies.
Speaker 2: So Matt one two points two points?
Speaker 7: He bid too, he got to Oh, okay, okay. Richard Link later there are six Richard link later films on to be you mentioned that both the slackers on there Blacker yeah, before sunrise before set okay. Link later, being the prolific filmmaker that he has made five films between nineteen ninety five before sunrise and two thousand and fours before sunset, all of which are not to be five.
Speaker 2: I can do some of these.
Speaker 7: Okay, So how many would you like to bid?
Speaker 2: Give me the years again?
Speaker 7: So it's to nineteen ninety five is before sunrise, two thousand and four is before sunset.
Speaker 2: I can do four of these moves.
Speaker 3: Go you go ahead, I could do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, you ready? Here we see it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, tape, yes, well, Waking Life correct, Scanner Darkly, Oh, I'm out?
Speaker 2: Or can I keep going with others? Sure?
Speaker 7: You need to get four? Right?
Speaker 2: Go? Okay? All right? The Newton Boys, Yes, yeah, we need one and I need one more Richard Link later before two thousand and five.
Speaker 7: Before two thousand and four, before twenty four nineteen, two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and five, and after two. I can do this before two thousand and four, but not Scannered dark that Philips, String Boys, uh and not. I think shit or out tried.
Speaker 7: School of Rock, Yes, School of Rock, that's the big one. The last one is Suburban Suburbia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got the four.
Speaker 7: Got the four's four to two? Well done.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: I don't think that he got to make a mistake to keep going.
Speaker 2: I think I was the Union. Well, you're allowed to make a mistake.
Speaker 7: I think Scanner Darkly came out two thousand and five, maybe two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: That's like two thousand and six or seven.
Speaker 2: That's definitely outs.
Speaker 3: I knew that was outside the round. Here here are the movies that A Man for All Seasons beat quickly. Alphie the rush beat it. The Russians are coming. The Russians are coming.
Speaker 2: Deserve to beat it.
Speaker 3: The sand pebbles never saw it? Me neither, and who's a free Virginia.
Speaker 2: Wall Ooh, deserve to beat it. That's the correct winner. I love the three that i'd seen. I never saw sand pebbles. The Russians are coming is very funny. But a man for all seasons rules. What a movie?
Speaker 7: Okay? I like this betting so far, so good?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 7: Number three nineties Leonardo DiCaprio. Ah, snap, there are five DiCaprio starring films on to be, all of them from the nineties.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: But Leo somehow appeared in twelve films in the nineties. Twelve. I am again going to share the the five that are to be in the chat, so you know, and that means there are seven more that are not to be. These are the ones I will read them critters.
Speaker 2: Three.
Speaker 7: Yeah, This Boy's Life, a little film called Titanic, the Man in the Iron Mask, and what he allen Celebrity all to be.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, you know our second thought, Jack, let's go, let go, just like just like a.
Speaker 2: I'd be.
Speaker 3: Goodbye, goodbye. I don't care if the door can hold us both up, I'm out of here.
Speaker 2: Seven nineties movies it was.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it might even be earlier. Actually no, it's I think it's ninety nine different.
Speaker 7: You get the first?
Speaker 3: I can? I can again. I'm just I'm I'm betting conservatively. What do I know? I can for sure name?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: I just thought of a third one. I think I hope he's in this movie. I'm gonna say three. So he just thought of a third that I think he's in. I'm gonna feel real stupid if he's not. But I can. I can think of three.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can think of three. I could think of three. But that's that's bit. I have to outbid him. Can I whip out a fourth Leo movie? Crud? Uh? Yeah, I could do it.
Speaker 3: It's gonna keep naming movies now until he get I go for it.
Speaker 7: The clock, al, here we go.
Speaker 2: Here we go?
Speaker 7: The beach, no, two thousand, alright?
Speaker 2: Never remember?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Total eclipse, yes, total eclipse? Uh? The Basketball Diaries yes? Uh, the the one I just had in my head. Romeo plus Julie.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's three.
Speaker 2: But now I need but I but I had the beach and that's not it. I need another Leo movie. Oh crud, he's a handsome boy. He's in all those movies.
Speaker 9: Oh we gotta give him a time limit, this is too long? Or oh no, three, you don't have it? Two mask out?
Speaker 7: Okay, So I think I think by the rules I stated at the beginning, Matt gets those four points.
Speaker 3: Yes I can. There were two that I thought of that you didn't mention. Okay, go for it, right, Gilbert grape O nomination? And then is he in itf he's in this? I think I think he is. Is he in Marvin's room?
Speaker 7: Marvin's Room? That's correct. Let's you guys. I think the only two you didn't mention, the big one that you'll kick yourself for is Raimi's Quick in the Dead, also in I don't know if anybody remembers him in Poison ivy starring.
Speaker 2: Oh well, hops off to Matt for having more pocket.
Speaker 7: So you earned the points you stole from Jordan's six four. I think six.
Speaker 2: I never saw totally clips by the way, his total clips and even one total eclipse.
Speaker 7: That's he plays our French poet. Okay, we're moving on to question four. Master cinematographer Roger.
Speaker 2: Deakins love that guy.
Speaker 7: He's a sixteen time Oscar nominee, and there are sixteen Deacons shot films on to be, from nineteen eighty one's Walcott to twenty eleven's Rango, but nothing after twenty eleven. Only one of his Oscar nominated films is to Be. It's Fargo, which was just got a thirtieth anniversary review last week on Film Spotting On the Film Spotting on other Ship, Deakins was nominated four more times four Cohen director's movie directed movies. Oh boy, what are those four? You can bid up to four? I believe it is. Yeah, Jordan's turn to bid.
Speaker 2: The one Oscar nominated one that's already on to be is what Fargo?
Speaker 7: So he was he was Oscar. A total five Cohen's director movies. One of them is to Be. It is Fargo. There are four more. Oh what's your bid?
Speaker 2: I mean I don't know geez two?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 2: Two? Yeah, right, I could.
Speaker 3: Can I quickly think of a third because I can think I know two?
Speaker 2: Also, okay, I know all the movies, but I don't know which for us exactly.
Speaker 7: That's right, trick, all right, go for it. Jordan's go ahead, you can tie it up with the two.
Speaker 2: Sure, okay. He was nominated for the Best Cinematography for No Country for Old Men.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 2: He was nominated for Best Cinematography four Oh boy, here it comes the man who wasn't there?
Speaker 7: Yes, two points.
Speaker 3: The other one I was going to guess, and maybe I guess I should have gone for it was Oh brother, where art? That was the other one that I was pretty.
Speaker 7: Also nominated for True Grit is last I think collaboration nominated Collaboration, True Grit.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I guess I should have been bold.
Speaker 7: Okay, Matt, this is right in your wheelhouse. It's almost fair.
Speaker 2: How many are on?
Speaker 7: This is Arnold? It's Arnold?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 7: Okay. There are ten Schwarzenegger movies on to be from nineteen seventies. I think this got referenced. Maybe Hercules and New York is Ontos to twenty nineteen is the movie I'd never heard of, Iron Mask, but maybe you bad movie, bad movie with Jackie Chan Among them, though, are Terminator two, Judgment Day nineteen ninety one, and Terminator three, Rise of the Machines, not the original Terminator.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, Palms Talk to the Hend.
Speaker 7: So nineteen ninety one to two thousand and three, Schwarzenegger start in nine films between those two terminators ninety one to two thousand and three. Okay, only one of them is two B it's twenty twenty two's Collateral Damage, not a bad movie. So that means there are eight eight Schwartzenegger's starring films made between nineteen ninety one and two thousand and three that are not to be eight Matt, what is your bid?
Speaker 4: Go for eight? Man?
Speaker 3: Come on, I don't know if I can off the top of my head I can come up with eight, but I feel very confident I could least do six.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow, let's do it, Jordan. You want to try to do more than that?
Speaker 2: I cannot do?
Speaker 3: So okay, so that starts in nineteen ninety one, right, yes, yes, So I'm just gonna type them, and I'm going to say them as I type them and think. So Batman and Robin correct the sixth day, Yes, Junior yas Saction Hero.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's four.
Speaker 2: End of Days.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's five. We need one more.
Speaker 3: I need one more true lies.
Speaker 7: That's six.
Speaker 2: So there's two more, two more erasers.
Speaker 3: And I'm just trying to think of what the other one would be. It's a comedy, give me, give me, it's a comedy. That's ninety's ear Oh, jingle all the way, Jingle the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Wow, it's suddenly twelve six.
Speaker 2: Jordan's are Trek?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: How many Star Trek cast members can you name?
Speaker 7: This is where we got into some trouble because my last question is not really a bidding one, because I came up with this last night before I came up with the bids. I don't even know based on the questions I have left if you could even get close to twelve Jordan. But I'll give you a shot here. See how this goes. It's okay, okay, number say Hans Zimmer Yeah, has composed the scores for something like two hundred movies, twenty nine of them. Twenty nine of them are on to be including consecutive Best Picture winners. Okay? Is that clear? Twenty nine are on to be, including two consecutive Best Picture winners. I'm just gonna so this question is for you, Jordan. You have a chance to answer it for the two points. That's how I'm gonna do this.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that's fair for Pride for Pride.
Speaker 7: For Pride the first, the first, okay, the first earned Zimmer his first Oscar nomination. I know what it is, Okay, the first. So what I'm asking for and you'll get two points if you can get this. What are those two consecutive Best Picture winners? I have one more piece of information, but if you feel like you know it, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's Driving Miss Daisy because I know that he did that okay score. It's like a very non Hans Zimmer score and it doesn't have like thundering drama that so Driving This Daisy is the is a Best Picture winner?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: So the question is is what won Best Picture either before or after driving Miss Days.
Speaker 7: That he did the score for correct I will tell you that he earned his first Oscar nomination for one of them, and he lost that Oscar to Dave Gruson for his score for the Milagro Beanfield War.
Speaker 2: Oh christ oh, okay, I happened. Okay, I think I know the answer. Okay, Driving Miss Daisy was eighty seven. Milagro Beanfield War I believe was eighty six. Hence the Oscar winner for eighty six was out of Africa.
Speaker 7: You're a little off.
Speaker 2: Your years are off.
Speaker 3: Driving Miss Daisy is ninety eighty nine, eighty nine. Okay, I knew he was too early. Maybe the awards were for nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: Oh, so I got it wrong. What's the answer? Or Matt, can you steal I?
Speaker 3: No, I don't, I don't. I'm not a Hans Zimmer.
Speaker 7: So interestingly, Hans Zimmer was not nominated for Driving Miss Daisy.
Speaker 3: So you were totally wrong.
Speaker 7: But he was, but well, but he did do the score for it. But he was nominated for the previous year's Best Picture, the nineteen eighty eight or the film that came out in nineteen eighty eight, which is is eighty eight rain Man, Rainman, rain Man. So we all learned something about Hans Zimmer here.
Speaker 2: So it is surprise that all of us, who know so many unimportant facts that our tingers fingertips know saying about rain Man.
Speaker 7: Well done. I think that's the game. I've got one more. You guys already kind of covered at those coolulated it wasn't yeah we we we he got it, And I think I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: I figured big losing three I've lost too. Can I just say out of Africa which is a movie that I really should rewatch because I haven't seen it in one hundred years. It did win the Best Original Score for who wrote the best Original score for Out of Africa? You tell us? This is Oh? You tell us John? It's John Barry. Yeah, yeah, And I would like to say that Out of Africa, a movie I haven't seen in twenty five years and a movie that probably will put me to sleep, although I should see it again, not has the best original score of all time. Like if you were going to rap the best original scores, nothing is as sweeping and majestic and lush and sam. If I were editing this week's film spotting a little, I would play us out with a little bit of the Out of Africa score, and then when we come back for the end, everybody will have a be weeping into their hankies because the music is so OPO.
Speaker 7: I know that I had the audio tape of Barry's score for Dances and Wolves, which is also very.
Speaker 2: Good, very good. The John Dunbar theme is almost as good as the Out of Africa theme. It really is beautiful. Well, folks, we did it. We This is the longest episode yet, but I'm having fun and I lost the game, so it's ten to four. I'm still I've still got some wiggle room, but I'm on a losing streak. I've lost two in a row. But now's the time on the show when we let listeners know what's coming new to streaming. And first up, these are theatrical releases that are newly available to rent or buy, so they're not you know, you gotta pay extra sometimes like fourteen ninety nine something like that. But new is this movie called The bread Winner by Nate Bargatzi. I don't know if that's how he pronounced. And this is supposed to be one of the worst movies of the year. People hate this movie. Our friend Matt Singer, our friend Bill Gbire the other day was just ranting and raving about how terrible this movie is. I'm almost curious to see it. Did you see The bread Winner?
Speaker 3: I didn't, but you're right. We were having conversations about like the worst movies of the year so far, and this was one that was thrown out there, and I was going, oh, I gotta, I gotta watch The bread Winner.
Speaker 2: But I'm not going to spend fourteen ninety nine. I'm gonna wait a few more weeks until, like it's been zero zero now, other stuff that's coming theatrical release is coming to streaming. And this is not for rent or buy is God Is, which is supposed to be very, very good.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard the opposite thing about this movie, which is that it's quite interesting.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's directed and written by a woman the name of Alicia Harris. It's based on her own play, and it starts Carrie young Sterling k Brown and Janelle Monet. And it is on everybody's favorite streaming service, MGM Plus, which you know, more and more is actually becoming a viable service. I haven't really explored it yet, but everything on MGM Plus eventually comes to Prime Amazon Prime because Amazon owns MGM. So if you don't have MGM plus yet, you can give it a few more weeks. It'll wind up on Prime Video. That's God Is, God Is. And then another one, which I hear is pretty good called Mile and Kicks, which makes me think of the song Pumped Up Kicks, you know, a little ditty from the early two thousands. It's directed by a woman named Chandler Levac who did Roommates earlier. This year, which we discussed on SVU. I didn't love it that much, but I hear this one is better. A twenty two year old music critic moves to Montreal to write a book about Alanis Morris That's Jagged Little Pill. But her plans are complicated when she becomes romantically involved with two members of an indie band. And it's on Netflix. That sounds charming. Yes, so that's on Netflix now, mile End kicks. It did very well at festivals, and now we the non festival going public can ascertain for ourselves if it's any good, Matt, do you want to tell the listeners? What else is coming directly to streaming? Sure?
Speaker 3: Starting on Friday the seventeenth, we have They Fight starring Andre Holland and Wenel Pierce. They're training DC youth for a high stakes boxing tournament that will be available on Hulu. And then we also have heart Stopper Forever, an extension of the Netflix high school set heart Stoppers series about two teenage boys whose friendship turns into a romance. So this is like the the the Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan's Ghost War of teen boy romances. I guess it is the film continuation. Perhaps the conclusion I don't know. Uh, and that is also on Netflix. Now, we've been hearing feedback from listeners that, you know, they want to know what we're reviewing in advance so they can watch it before the conversation. That's very understandable. So we mentioned this title I think, last week, and we're gonna we're etching it into stone now. Next week on the show, we are going to discuss on Hulu a service. I don't think we've done a review of a title A main title on that.
Speaker 4: Movie.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that so I think that was?
Speaker 3: That was HBO Max, that was Hbox.
Speaker 2: This is Hulu.
Speaker 3: It's Redux Reducks. It is a sci fi film a woman traveling through parallel universes killing her daughter's murderer again and again. Great premise and it's like a family project, directed by brothers and starring is it their sister who stars it?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, So we love that.
Speaker 3: Hook and it sounds intriguing. That's gonna be the subject of next week's film spotting s for you, Redux Reducks on Hulu.
Speaker 2: Awesome. I'm looking forward to it. I'm gonna will myself to like that movie. I know it's gonna be good. So I want to thank the listeners for listening, and the listeners who wrote feedback. This is a long episode. If you made it this long milezl tuff to you. We have a great next week. We've already got the reeg for that one in the pipeline, but keep more coming. But the one for next week is gonna be great. And you know why I love it so much, Matt. You know why.
Speaker 3: I don't know why Jordan. I'm not inside that head of yours.
Speaker 2: The author of the email began his by complimenting me. That's why he's the best.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned to hear a compliment of Jordan. That's a hook that'll get the listeners subscribed.
Speaker 2: If you want to send us any feedback, not just a recommendation request, but just feedback in general, it's very easy to do. You go to your email and you type in feedback at film Spotting SVU, all one word dot com. You could find Matt Singer on Instagram and letterbox at Superpulse. You can find me on Blue Sky at j Hoffman and recently, our friend Matt Singer was on the very popular podcast called blank Check with Griffin Newman and David Simms, and wait, isn't their producer named Sam? Also, what's the producer's name?
Speaker 3: Ben Ben?
Speaker 2: Sam? Benlen Sam? Ben's a nice guy. I love that guy's sweetheart.
Speaker 3: You love him so much.
Speaker 2: You don't know his name, but he's for a minute, I forget. I know so many people, I can't remember everybody. And also, if I may be so bold, I have just launched a new podcast called the star Log Podcast for those of you that like sci fi. Star Log mag magazine is back. It's coming to print later this fall, and go to starlog dot com put your name in the box that says we want your email address because we want your email address to send you our weekly newsletter called The Loud Star, which I write. You hear from me every week yapping about sci fi and real science. This week's episode is all about black holes, and we have a black hole physicist on really like a truth like he is the head of astrophysics at MIT. Came on My stupid show. Can you believe that? Really cool?
Speaker 3: Did you ask him about turning into a goat and what the songs?
Speaker 2: We did talk to him about black holes and he was very polite in telling me that I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.
Speaker 3: How I want to tune in. Forget about Jordan Hoffmann compliments that'll get me to tune in.
Speaker 2: So starlog, Starlog, starlog, go to starlog dot com and type in your name. Get all that stuff coming in. Thank you once again to Sam van Halgrin, the greatest producer in the Internet who produces s VU each week. I'm Jordan Hoffman and I'm that singer.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.