Speaker 1: What's Good Command his Family?
Speaker 2: I'm Brian Corple Junior and this is season two of the Next Man Up Podcast. Jayden Daniels pulls up and talks about being named the QB one and what his expectations are for this season.
Speaker 1: And then we got a legend in the building. That's right.
Speaker 2: Doug Williams pulls up to talk about Jayden Daniels but also to talk about giving back to.
Speaker 1: The game that he loves so much. That's all. Now our next man.
Speaker 3: Up, What's good Command his Family?
Speaker 2: Brian Copple Junior here, and this is the Next Man Up Podcast. We talk to your favorite comand as players. Not so much about the exit and o's more about the player under the helmet. And our next man up is no one better than our new names Starr and quarterback Rookie Jade and Daniels.
Speaker 1: Jayden good the seed you brother? Yeah, I appreciate you having you here.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get right into it because you were just named the started man, So I need you to take me back there.
Speaker 1: Man, where were you at? When did you find out? Tell me everything?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was on Monday. I was chilling the quarterback room talking with Charlie PR Guy, PR Guy, Charlie PR Guy over talking about Lakers and Nick's basketball stuff. Next thing, you know, DQ just walked in and he was like, I talked to Jayden. From there, we're kind of just having a conversation about, you know, my routine and stuff like that. And then he tried to slide it under there. But that's when I found out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was that like, man?
Speaker 2: Because it sounds like when Dad quit talks. He's just so casual and chill about everything. So like, what was your first thought when he hit you like just slid it in.
Speaker 4: Like okay, like but it didn't really register in my mind. I was kind of thinking about my routine and stuff like that. And then from that I was like, oh, and then we had a conversation. I was just telling him, thank you, appreciate all that.
Speaker 2: And when and when that did settle, when you really realize, like the moment, who was the first person you called the shit the news with?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I called my mom, told her first, and they called my dad. I told him so it was too I told everybody else. Had to keep it on the rise until it came out.
Speaker 2: I mean, you had to have been dreaming about that moment your entire life. Man, So now that you've been there, now you're on the back end of it, because it's hard to really be in the moment during those times.
Speaker 1: What was that moment for you, man? What was going through your head? Man? What sat in with you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I don't think it kind of hit me until I got home, kind of able to gout in my thoughts. But it was a very surreal moment because growing up, you know, loving the game of football, watching NFL Sunday, you see one of the thirty two out there, you know, playing quarterbacks, so all you drenk the being one and and I'm grate the opportunity to be one of those.
Speaker 2: You talk about dreaming of being that starring quarterback. When do you think that dream hit when you're like, this is what I want to do. I want to be an NFL player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it started very young. I want to say, like eight nine years old, kind of around the time when I started playing football and they got you know, you kind of venture off, and then I got it to the basketball phase and then kind of like eighth grade, going to high school is kind of where I was like, Okay, I could really do something with this football thing and take it very serious. And that's when around the time I put that on my wall. You know, I was play in the NFL. I didn't know where I get drafted to. I just knew that I have the opportunity to play in the NFL.
Speaker 1: And now you're here.
Speaker 2: Man, Now we've seen you for two preseason games, so I want to I want to take it back. We're going to talk a little bit about the future, but I gonn take it back little bit.
Speaker 1: Talk about that.
Speaker 2: First preseason game pull up in the Doug Williams jersey going viral. Now, I know you've been asked this before, but I really want to know. Why was that so important for you to take this moment? It's all about you. Now, this is your first NFL game, but you took this moment to pay homage to somebody that's in it before you.
Speaker 1: Was that so important?
Speaker 4: It was actually crazy. I mean, I'm in my closet, I'm trying to think about, Okay, what I'm gonnaware.
Speaker 1: Laying out the first day of school.
Speaker 4: Fel I'm in the closet, thame I want't wear? And then I remember fanatics when I went up there for Rookie premiere they had they sent me a Doug Williams jersey, so it's just in my closet. I was like, oh, it wasn't like Okay, I knew. I mean what Doug did hear, what he meant, what he means to this franchise, his organization, and what he means for me being a mentor being somebody I could go and talk to that looks like me, that that's done it here, so be able to go out there and throw on that jersey and you know, just represent him, especially in the first one where I knew a lot of odds are gonna be on me, you know, especially walking through for my first preseason game, and it just meant a lot to pay how much to show him that the respect that he deserves.
Speaker 2: And not everybody gets to walk into a building with guys like Doug Williams, Guys like Santana Mons, these.
Speaker 1: Legends that have stayed here for you, guys, for these players.
Speaker 2: What game have you gotten from Doug Williams leading up to that preseason game that made you say, you know what, this is a guy I'm gonna be able to talk to about anything.
Speaker 4: Man, Just go out there and be me like like he tells me all the time, just be you. You have to trying to be anybody else, do anything out of the ordination. Go out there, play a game. There's a reason why he here, is the reason why God bless you to be here. So it's kind of the biggest main points I take away from talking with him.
Speaker 2: Well, man, you ain't waste no time showing us why you belong in that field.
Speaker 1: Man. That first drive very interesting. You know.
Speaker 2: Talked to Austin Eckler after that first drive and I asked him. I was like, what was he like in that pocket? And he kind of revealed to us that, you know, you you checked out of a play because you saw something there and you wanted to make an audible and make a play in your own words, because a lot was made of that, right Dad Quinn talked about your own words. Man, what was that moment like and what made you say, you know, after this incomplete pass, I'm gonna go check it down the field.
Speaker 4: It was kind of crazy because I mean the whole week it was like, yeah, nah, it's just I'm like, man, I kind of came. I was like, man, just let me throw a deep you know, Cliff and DQ and all that, you know, kind of nah, like you know, so called the screen on third down and it wasn't the look that I wanted or anybody wanted. So I know, over a Cliff's head, He's like, man, he was about to check it. Because I'm like I seen him. I'm like, oh yeah, I'm about to check it. So I did to be able to kind of like, I guess in a sense clause like, man, you manifested this in a sense you did. I mean, I guess so. But it was just funny. That's why I pointed to the sidelines because I know and they head was like like, now we want you to do it, but we're happy about the result and stuff like that. So it was fun I mean.
Speaker 2: That's a rookie. How much comfortability does that give you? Knowing that even in those moments where you're maybe doing something that they said, hey, man, maybe this isn't a good idea, but knowing that.
Speaker 1: They still trust you to do the right thing. Man, How important is that for rookie?
Speaker 4: Man, that's the biggest thing. Showed me to have my back. They trust me and believe in me. So that's a huge thing. And that's what they preacher. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then right after that, man, you go and get your first NFL touchdown. And you know a lot of people in those moments hit a little silly little dance cheer with their teammates, maybe even their coaches, and everybody was going crazy. I was on the sideline too. All of us are yelling and going crazy. You run past everybody, go to the stands, go find your mom and give it that football. Why was that so important for you to do that in that moment?
Speaker 4: It was huge? I mean, pregame, she's on the sideline. I look over and I go over. She like she's getting emotional because she like, you know, she seeing me this is a dream of mine that now she can see it become reality. So I know she get emotional and obviously shout out to Terry because I don't know what I blacked out so I even had the ball, so he gave me the ball first thing I seen him right there. So a start of the football, man, it meant a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Man, and your mom and your other family there every game, role game, home game that's coming up, man, training camp, they just show up for you and they support you. Even though they're not from here, They're not from you at all. How important is that to have them a part of this journey with you? Man?
Speaker 4: It's huge supports. So there's nothing no matter how good I played, no matter how bad I played, Man, they gonna still love me the same. They can always support me, always have my back. So it's huge for them to be able to be a part of this journey.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: And now you're in it. Man, two games in, bro, nothing's new for you anymore. Right now you're in it. You're gonna have your first NFL game on the road against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. What are you expecting from yourself in that first game? Have you set expectations for yourself? Or you just going to out there and let it fly?
Speaker 4: Man, go out there, let it fly. It wouldn't be no expectation for me. Try to do everything in my power to help lead the team to a win. That's the main thing, that's the main focus. You know, we want to start. I want to know and.
Speaker 2: Everybody talks about I mean even right now I'm sitting there talking to you, when everybody said it, you're wise beyond your years.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: You talk like somebody that's been here before, not like a rookie. But what are those challenges you face so far being here and how have you overcome those challenges?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean DQ whole staff, even the veterans, they've been done a great job, not just for myself but all the rookies, you know, making this feel as part as the team, not making us feel like you know, or a rookie. So whether as leadership wise, you know, picking your spots, knowing what, be able to go out there and talk to them and be able to just talk about you know, life and talk about you know, football. And the main person I mean I talked to others outside of markets is Bobby Blackener. You know, me and him are from the same area, so you know, we have that in common, and as we get to know each other more, we have a lot of comments. So be able just to pick his brain about things that ain't seen our you know, quarterbacks he's been with his career and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: And you both with callie kids like you mentioned Bobby wagen Man, you mentioned hoops man. You are Laker fan? Yeah for sure, okay, no doubt. And I have to ask because man, every time you came out in training camp, we had a basketball people with just day. I don't think I've ever seen the quarterback warm up with a basketball. Man, Where does that come from? And why is that something you've added to your game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's something I've done for a while. Is just kind of like tricking your mind. You know, obviously a basketball is bigger than a football, as dribble around, basketball, shoot it, things like that, and then when I pick up the footballs and just smaller in my hand, feel smaller in my hand, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So so you hoop a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm better than Bobby Wagener.
Speaker 2: No, I think Bobby everybody that's sat in his chaff claimed they are the best command is player.
Speaker 1: But you're gonna take that ground.
Speaker 4: I'm better in Bobby Wagen.
Speaker 1: That's all you care about. Long as you better than Bobby.
Speaker 4: Better than Bobby White? What the information you want to do?
Speaker 2: Well, man, we're gonna let you go. Before we let you go, man, you know we all have goals. You've achieved a very big goal by getting drafted, by becoming a starter, by making into the NFL.
Speaker 1: What is your goal now for this season?
Speaker 4: Be the best version of myself each and every day no matter the good or the bad ups and the downs. Bill go out there and you know, the other players could look at me like, Man, Jay's consistent. You know, he's consistent with his work as it, you know, with everything. How you take care of his body, stuff like that, and then try to figure out a way to get better each and every day.
Speaker 1: Hey, Jad, and we can't wait to see you improved. Man.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on all your success so far. Man, We're excited to see this journey. Appreciate you taking the time with it.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: And of course we can't talk to our rookie quarterback without bringing in a legend that pioneered the entire game, welcoming in former Super Bowl MVP form Super Bowl Champion, the first African American quarterback to play in a Super Bowl game, a true Washington legend, mister Doug Williams.
Speaker 1: How you doing, sir, I'm going good, real good man. I appreciate you being here. Man here and we started.
Speaker 2: Off I said it, the first black quarterback to play in the Super Bowl. Last season, fourteen of thirty two teams started a black quarterback.
Speaker 1: You would a pioneer for that. What is it like seeing the league.
Speaker 5: Now, well, I think what has happened the league as a whole has involved it's not about the color of your skin. It's about who could play. And that's the part I like about it. You know, anytime doing the playoffs, if that was a black quarterback in the playoffs, reporters will always call me and asking what I think about that. Now they don't have to call me to ask me that, because the's a chance that it's gonna be one, two, maybe three, and sometimes four in the playoff. And I think that's the way it should be. You know, don't judge somebody about the character they skin, but what they can do and what they can do for the team and for the city and things like that. And I think what has happened all these young guys that are out there now, you know it's playing football because not because they're black, because they can play and they're the best person that they can put in their position. And that's what makes me feel good.
Speaker 2: And it's nice to sit here and look back in hindsight because we can say how much has changed. But while you were in it, did you feel that the league would turn into this because you were in the trenches of it being somebody that's done something that's never been done before.
Speaker 1: Did you see the league turning into this.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think anybody could see that, you know, not at that time, because the way the time was back then. Being one of the one of the few at that time, James Harris was in the league, but he wasn't that starting quarterback. And then Vince Evan came. He was in Chicago. Matter of fact, Vince and myself played in the first game that two African American quarterbacks ever played in in nineteen seventy nine against the Bears. You know, I remember like that one like it was yesterday, because it was a big it was a big thing. It was a big write up. And today times you know, that's not a big thing. It's the team. It's not the quarterback. It's the team who are playing each other. And I think it's good that we've gotten to that point because at the end of the day, we all got to live here, we all got to play here, and everybody got to be respected for what they do.
Speaker 2: And mister Doug, it's not just that you're a pioneer during the game. After the game, you've dedicated your whole life to football, helping people, mentoring people, helping the next generation come up and be better football players. Why was that so important for you to do that after your playing career.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I was fortunately growing up number one. You know, I had an older brother who was actually you know, it's my mentug always be my mentor. And he was the one that really got me into playing football because football wasn't my first nature. Basketball and baseball was what I really wanted to do. And he's just so having to be a coach at my high school. He was a junior high coach and I was eighth grade and he became the junior high football coach, and he gave me an ultimatum. He said, I mean you to play football. Whip him. So I ended up playing football.
Speaker 1: They're so like you made a good decision there.
Speaker 5: Yes, football been good to me. You know, that's the good part about it. You know, the four years that I was at GRAANDLA State University, nothing like playing at Gramlin for coach Edd Robinson. The guys that I played with, you know, I had some great guys to play with. And being drafted by Tampa, you know, going there for five years years and playing and then going to the USFL for two and the one coach that was at Tampa was Joe Gibbs. And then you know he was that came to Washington, and after the USFL folders on, one other coach called me, and that was Joe Gibbs. And that's why I'm here today. And uh, you know, I'm thankful for Coach Gibbs and the blessing that's been restored up on me. And you talk about the spiritual guy, nobody's more spiritual than Coach Gills. For what he told me in nineteen eighty seven, right after preseason, what do he tell you? You know, I've been traded. Nineteen eighty seven, we went to la we played a preseason game against the Rams. We came here. I had a pretty good game, and we got off the air plane at Duter's Airport. Him and Bobby Beth was at the bottom of the steps and he told me say, hey, you know, we made a deal for you. We traded you to the Raiders. And I said, oh, coach, thank you. You know I'm talking about the Raiders. They you know, I think every little kid growing up was a Raider fan. They I was onely one that admitted or not. It was somethingbody that seven black so so coach, thank you, coach, and uh, he said, look, come by the office about eleven thirty and we'll sit down. We'll talk about it. And I went to the apartment and packed my bags, call everybody in Zach Louisiana and told him I was gonna be a Raider. And uh, when I came over to the office, you know, I went to his office. If you know Coach Gibbs, he might not do it at this stage, but he had this funny laugh.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: He looked at me and he's he said, ha, ha, changed my mind. And I said, Coach, I said, you can't change your mind. And at that time he snapped at me. He said, hey, I don't work for the Raiders. I worked for the Washington Redskin. So I just sat back in my chair. And then he told me this this un is God true. He said, look, I got a feeling. And coach Coach Gibbs, one of them guys you played with, Coach Gibb, you always have a gut feeling. And he said, I got a feeling. He said, I got a feeling that somewhere along this line this year, you know, you're gonna come in here and we're gonna win this thing. At that time, it didn't mean nothing to me. You got to understand that he just bust my bubble.
Speaker 1: Because you in your head you were going to it wasn't.
Speaker 5: What's gonna happen at the end of the year. I wouldn't. Look that's too far away, you know. But but there wasn't nothing I can do. I got out the chair, went downstairs, and whatever meeting I had to go to, went to the meeting. And you know, at the end of the year, everything came true. You know, I met him at the dog going into the locker room, and the first thing he told me said, I told you didn't Yes, you did, Coach, And you know I know I never we'll forget that. This man told me this before the season that was started in nineteen eighty seven. Wow, and it all came true.
Speaker 2: And it's crazy because you know, Coach Gibbs, was that belief for you, that mentor for you, like you said, that guidance and you have chosen to be that for a lot of players. And now you're in a very interesting situation here because you get to be a guide to a rookie quarterback and Jade and Daniels, and I was so back to that first preseason game we had. He walks out into Jersey, you know, looking good into Doug Williams Jersey.
Speaker 1: Did you know that was gonna happens.
Speaker 5: Every tell you, you know, going into the stagem you know, players ride on the players bus exactly. And I'm on the bus with all the coaches, you know. And when I got off the bus, I sat down there every to get off. When I got off the bus, I'm looking at seventeen. I said, oh man, this boydom broke out a thug wheel of Jersey. To me, that was ultimate respect that anybody could could ever pay you, you know. And I didn't ask him why he put it on. I remember Dan flying back after the game. Dan looked at me and saying, how cool is that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: But it kind of tells you who Jayde Dames really is as an individual.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I think we're lucky we got a guy like Jayden and Daniel who don't have any devor to him. Yeah, he get along with everybody. Come to work. He come to work. You know, you come here six thirty in the morning. I promise you, you'll find his car in the parking lot. That's who he is. And I think it says a lot about you know, how he was raised and how he look, how he respect people that came before.
Speaker 2: Him, and Jaden had nothing but great things to say about you, calling you a mentor calling you somebody that has been looking out for him even before he got into this building. Talk to me about your relationship with Jada and the history you guys have, because I don't think a lot of people realize y'all go way back.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the only thing you could say, you know, you call a guy. When I mean, it's not like you can tell him what to do or what have you, because you're not coaching it. It's just like in this bit, I'm not coaching it. But my thing is, you know, like I walked by him sometime and he said, hey, Doug, I say, what's up, Jaden? And then sometimes I walk up to him and say, hey, man, you got to learn how to slide, you know, just give.
Speaker 1: Him some good advice and everybody that's that.
Speaker 5: But no, it's just a matter of calling a guy. And I stayed on the phone a long time. Just call and let him know that you looking at him, you care about him, You want to do good, and I think that's that's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: And you've been a rookie quarterback before.
Speaker 2: Man, what advice can you give him and have you given him as he approaches being starting quarterback for week one against your Tenthorley Buckinge.
Speaker 5: Ins, Well, you know what, when I look at Jayden doing this training camp, man, I put myself in that position. I don't know what I was as as calm, cool and collected as Jaden has been. You know, you watch this kid, man. He don't get rattled, He don't put hisself in no rush. He does everything right, and when he doesn't do it right, he want to come back and do it again. I don't know whether when I became starting caught back in Tampa, I was like that. I probably was a little more nerves than he is today, you know, but a lot of things has involved and I just watch him. Man, watched the game, the last preseason game. You just watch him how the ball comes out of his hand. He's not gitterly jumping back there trying to get out of his hand. He he know what he's doing. He comes out in the timely matter. He knows how to place the ball where it's supposed to be. I mean, Jaye just do so many things so well. You know, it's hard to even look at something that he doesn't do well.
Speaker 1: And I think we're all happy about that.
Speaker 2: We're all happy to have Jaden and we're really happy to have somebody like you here to mensor him. Like I said, he's going against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers week one. Now, I'm assuming you're going for burgundy and gold. You're rocking with us?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, thinking about it, you go down to Tampa and you know, I'm fortunate enough to have you know my name in both stadiums here and there. But the end of the day, when it's all said and done, it's only one team that I'm pulling for. Oh yeah, and that's the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 2: We love that. Thank you so much for your time. Before I let you go, everybody has expectations. What is a successful season for the Washington Commanders this year?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: You know, I'm not gonna throwing the numbers out, but I think the latest year has been in training camp, the way everybody's been busting their behind to get everything done. I'm looking for a really competitive year, more competitive than I've been I've been here, you know, I'm been here a long time, going on my eleventh year, and this is the first time I've seen a team like this as hustled. They out there every day, they enthusiasm and everything is on the move. It's a great feeling. Let me say that, you know, And whatever happened this year is because of what they've done on the field, and the coaches and everybody has instilled into these players.
Speaker 2: Mister Doug Maning, there's nothing more I can add to that. And that was beautifully put. And we thank you so much for your time. You pulled up to the first episode of season two of Next Man Up Man, So thank you so much for being a part of this Command is family. Roy Cole Junior here, mister Doug Williams. This is the Next Man the Podcast. We'll catch you all next Friday.
Speaker 4: Take this stuff my pleasure.
Speaker 3: Scrapped it so nice, got it here it twice