Speaker 1: Welcome into the Audi Performance studio. Here at one Jets Drive Eric Allen with Brian Baldinger and Lejay DuSable. It is time for a moment that fans circle on their.
Speaker 2: Track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and this is gonna be an extended version. We're gonna get to the Jets attempt. That's where we're gonna go. But before that, we got to tackle the landscape before the Green and Wires schedule to select. Okay, let's start with Chicago one. We're gonna alternate picks. Okay, dudes, you will make the first selection. Is this opening door, shut case? I mean this, this is done.
Speaker 3: This is Caleb, this is done.
Speaker 2: The consistence has been Caleb Williams, I would say for two years probably uh to me, the most electric quarterback. Now, I think you'll talk about a quarterback next Jane Daniels to me, who is probably the most dynamic. But you're talking about just electric, electric energy. A guy that can throw off platform the wild plays. That's what Caleb Williams has. And when you watch film Baldi, he can throw in time right, you see it on table. I think that's Any time I talked to scouts, they want to see if a guy can do it because if you can see him do it once, that means he could do it more than one time. So a lot of people always wondered can he live within the structure of the offense. He's shown at USC he can do that. And then another thing about him, he can lead a team because he had no help on.
Speaker 3: That defense side of the ball.
Speaker 2: He literally had to put up fifty burgers for them to win. So you got a guy that is used to the pressure, right, the pressure mounting. Now people will say that know the Dame game, right, he was probably pressing a little bit too much because he knew what the way his defense plays. He's got to keep score for scoring with teams. But to me, he is the number one consistent player. Consistent player for the draft and if you're the Chicago Bears, you finally get your quarterback in the future. Because I actually had this conversation with a few people the other day, Baldy, when you look at the Chicago Bears in totality, who would you say is their best quarterback of all time? You probably get three or four different names, right, Ja cob took him to a color right, So like maybe Caleb Williams can finally be that guy that bever fast and say this is our best quarterback.
Speaker 3: I thought it was going to be justin fields, but you know, justin field. I mean, it just made sense to reset, you know, the economically right here, Yeah, all right, just start fresh with a rookie quarterback on a rookie deal. And look, I've known Caleb since he was in high school coming out of Maryland, and he was already an advanced student. He understood the game, you know, how to attack coverages. And then when you saw him throw it when he was in high school, Jay like, this guy had an NFL arm when he was in high school, and know he did under Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma at USC was just perfect that And so I think Chicago's in good shape. I think they feel very confident, and they've done a good job of building around him. I don't know that any former number one pick, whether it's Burrow or Trevor Lawrence or Bryce Younger go back that a quarterback chosen number one is going to step into a better situation.
Speaker 1: Am I overthinking things by saying, hey, I have any concerns about what he can do within the structure of the offense. Because he was asked to do so much on his own. Did he did bad habits develop over time?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think some of the things that we talked about body is because he was pressing so much right, and I talked about it earlier. We can talk about living within the structure of the offense. You see him throwing timing, so you can see it on film. It's not like we never saw it on film. Maybe that one thing you could question if you didn't see it on film. But if you see it, that means you could coach him and do it more consistently. And I think that's the thing with Kayle Wims. You've seen him live in the structure of the offense.
Speaker 3: He can do it.
Speaker 2: But when everything breaks down, you know you have a player that can make plays that are not scripted out right on the tape. Go make a play for us. He can go do that.
Speaker 1: Faldy, you are the commander of Washington now number two overall selection. They're probably going to go a quarterback here as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I mean he took their starting quarterback for the last eighteen games, Sam Howell, and they shipped him off to Seattle, so they need a quarterback dan Quinn comes in. Why not unite with the quarterback and start to rebuilding that organization from the scratch. And I don't know if Lejay, if people even realize or remember that Jayden Daniels he did win the Heisman Trophy. Forgot when you watch him, he's just such a dynamic player. I mean his running ability now, I think, you know, he's got to protect himself better than what he showed in some games, especially like that Alabama game. They were planning him. But the talent is just it's not even wrang. It's been developed. He transferred from Arizona State. The last two years, he's been dynamic, and you know, I just think when you look at the pure talent, uh, you can't go wrong here. Can you can start with Jayden? He can start. They've really addressed the offensive line, starting with Taylor beyondage. A lot of guys are Tyler beyondage, a lot of guys in free agency. I think building that offensive line to try to protect him. I think they've got good receivers there in Washington. I think he's got a chance to have some success right Awa.
Speaker 1: So, Baldy Daniels here, do you like the Lamar Jackson comparisons.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty good company.
Speaker 2: You talk about the explosive ability in him running, you talk about body, but to me, Jaden Daniels has the commons feet in the pocket out of all these quarterbacks. I don't think that's talked about enough because he is so explosive and dynamic with the football in his hands when you watch his footwork in the pocket. And we go back to last year when people were so enamored with Bryce Young what he could do off platform, but it was c J. Stroud and doing the boring fundamental things which really helped him and elevated him this year, that's what Jaden Daniels does. Jesse he had two really good receivers, but when you just saw him and the way he's able to maneuver in the pocket his footwork. I think Caleb Williams has the best pocket presence, but as far as just like best footwork, to me, it's Jaden Daniels and I don't think that gets talked about enough.
Speaker 1: I think New England is in a very interesting spot. They have a new head coach, Rod Male, they have a roster that is in transition. They signed Jacoby Brissetton. Do they go quarterback? Here?
Speaker 2: Donana on the phone the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to the New.
Speaker 2: England Patriots, and they are drafting Drake Main. When you look at New England, I think they're comfortable with Jacobe Brissett as their starter for right now, a bridge quarterback starter. He's proven that he can be a starter in this league and keep you in games.
Speaker 3: I think there's just too.
Speaker 2: Many holes on this roster right now, Baldy. Why not gain some draft capital and trade back right and really develop this roster the right way. Potentially take a swing at a quarterback in the second round, say he Bo Nicks or Spenser Rattler is still there. I think that's something that the New England Patriots will do. And if you look at the Minnesota Vikings, they trained up to get their quarterback of the future. And even though Drake May is going to be the quarterback that I think they take at three overall, I think because you took Sam Donald, he could start in the beginning of the year and be a bridge quarterback. That way, you don't have to force Drake May out there, because I believe Drake May needs a developmental year.
Speaker 3: Well, the quarterback coach for the Minnesota Vikings just happens to be Josh McCown. He only drove to work every day with Sam Arnold when he was they were both here with the Jets, and he coached Drake May in high school in Charlotte. Like there is a real You can already feel like there's a connection there with Minnesota to Drake May, and so I think Sam will get Like Sam just left the place in San Francisco where he actually saw stability. What that looks like, what that feels like. He has a chance to succeed Minnesota. They've obviously got the receivers and tight end there and a pretty good offensive line. But I just think there's a great situation for Drake. He does not have to be forced in there. Kevin McCarthy has shown that he knows how to work with quarterbacks. Josh McCown is there. They can bring him along as slowly as he needs to, depending on how Sam plays.
Speaker 1: Arizona has the fourth overall selection. Do they need a weapon?
Speaker 3: Tom could be like somebody beside handing it off to James Connor. I mean, honestly, like Hollywood Brown is gone. It's gone, Like they need the next Larry Fitzgerald, you know, and look, Marvin Harrison has been that for three years at Ohio State. They need somebody like the tight end really developed last year with Kyler when he came in. Kyler played pretty well, but he needs somebody to throw it to on the outside. And I just think Marvin Harrison is sitting there. He's got no holes in his game. He has been an elite prospect since Garrett Wilson was there and everybody was watching him as a freshman at Ohio State. I just think you can plug and play Marvin Harrison and they upgrade that position a position of real need as they begin to build this roster to become more competitive in the NC West.
Speaker 1: You already had a trade for us in round one. What are the Chargers do here at five?
Speaker 3: Because they have.
Speaker 1: A new program under Jim Harbaugh. He wants to win inside the trunches all He loves that attitude. Do they go offensive lineman, do you go receiver here? Do we see us a start a run on receivers? Or perhaps they trade out.
Speaker 2: This is an interesting scenario for the Charges, right because they could trade back and get some more draft capital. Because we know they've been in cat purgatory right so they need cheap labor right now. So they could trade back and get some young players. But you heard Jim Halball talk, you know, at the owners of meaning talking about building things in their trenches. The only thing is they have one of the best left tackles in Slater. If you take Joe Alt, do you know he's gonna be able to make that transition. It's not an easy transition from left to right or from right to left. To me, they need a playmaker on the outside. They took Quinn Johnson last year in the first round, but Moleague neighbors with the start and stop ability, the acceleration, he is a big time playmaker. He literally could take a curl route seventy yards Baldy. You see it on film all the time. He'll take a curve out in the middle of the field and just leave the rest of the defense for fifty or sixty yards. So, yes, I know Jim Harball wants to build things through the trenches. He wants to run the football, play really good and aggressive defense. But yeah, justin Herbert that quarter, you need a play maker on the outside for him to go to.
Speaker 3: As much as they want to run the ball like he did in San Francisco and run all the way to a super Bowl. Colin Kaepernick and everybody that they had, like on third downs in red zone, you got to throw it, you got to throw it. And you know, they lost their tight ends. They lost two elite receiver and Allan Mike Webbs. They lost those guys, So Justin Herbert has to throw it to somebody. Josh Palmer's there, Quinton Johnson is there, but I just think you need a guy. Malik looks like you put him in the slot. You know, you go throw them a hundred targets and the offense is going to look a lot better.
Speaker 1: Paul, let's go cross down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Big Blue.
Speaker 1: The Giants they have multiple needs. I like the way their defensive line is looking after train Brian Burns, no doubt about that. But offensive line could be in play here at six or is this where we see another quarterback?
Speaker 3: Well, look, they addressed the offensive line. You can debate John Runyon Jermaine a luminar, but I think those are two starters, you know, so they you know, and then you get John Michael Schmidz and Andrew Thomas and you know guys that I think are look like their long term answers that those quicks.
Speaker 2: But do you think they could potentially move Nil inside a guard?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I think he can make I mean, you got to try to find a place for him. And sometimes when things don't work outside because their foot quickness, whatever, you put him inside and you can just cover people up. I mean, I think it's worth a try.
Speaker 1: Those days out there too, because they need somebody and reim At the end of the.
Speaker 3: Day, Daniel Jones is coming off a major injury. They went out and they got Drew Lock, which you can tell me all you want about Drew Lock. I've seen him start five games in three years. I don't think he's the answer. I just don't believe it. And so I think this organization, Joe Shane, Brian Dable, they did not draft Daniel Jones, and so I think it's their chance. Like they started fresh in Buffalo when they got Josh Allens, and I feel like maybe Saquan's gone, Maybe this is the time you go and get your quarterback here and JJ McCarthy and whether you start them right away or you don't like build start building with your quarterback. That's what the great franchise is doing this business right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's reset this right now. No offensive lineman has been taken amongst the first six selections. We do have two receivers off the board and four quarterbacks. Number seven Tennessee got a first year head coach. Ye got his dad on staff, Bill Callahan, and it is one of the best offensive line coaches in the history of the National FOD.
Speaker 3: He was here. Yeah, a great job.
Speaker 2: When he looks like you're leading onto something right now, I actually think I would not be surprised if they moved out of here.
Speaker 1: But offensive line makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not.
Speaker 2: If Joe is there at seven, they are running his card. They like Petit Frere is a really good tackle and he's played left and right. I think you can go back to the right tackle. They swung and missed with Andre Dillard last year, so they need a left tackle to stabilize offensive line. Of Peters Kwarnsky had some medical conditions but played well when he was able to actually play, and you talked about it. Bill Callahan is in the fold. Nobody develops offensive line better than Bill Callahan. So just imagine Joe on that office line. Will Levis will be thinking the gods, he has some good protection while he could get get it to his playmakers on the outside, whether it's DeAndre Hopkins or Calvin Ridley. So I don't think they'll try to ask about I think they're running this card in. If Joe Aldis had seven.
Speaker 1: Big changes, there no King Derrick Henry in Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Now, huh yeah, but you know, Tony Pollard comes in and Jose Spears is a really good player. Tanje had a good rookie season. He was their third down back last year when they took the King off the field, he showed that he could play in his business. So they got a good one to two punch there. Bill the line right there, you got receivers on the outside, like it makes a lot of sense to just keep building that wall in front of.
Speaker 1: Him, Baldy. No defensive players have been taken at this point in Armatra. The Atlanta Falcons are up at number eight. They have a new head coach of Raheem Morris, of course, who actually started with the Jets way back when as a coaching intern back at Hofstra. They have an interesting mix of players on offensive side of the ball, skill position, talent Kirk Cousins added to the mix. But do they need more pieces defensively?
Speaker 3: They do, and this is where the first defensive player comes off the border. Like you know, you watch Dallas Turner from Alabama. He looks like a polished edge rusher that can step into this business and he can win one on ones. He's got a long arm move, he's got an exceptional power, he can bend. Like all the things you're looking for for an edge rusher to be taking this high, he has it. And it was a point last year the Jay where the Atlanta Falcons with a bunch of no name players were top ten defense. Now they slipped at the end, but they had improved a lot. And I just think, like you're looking at Raheem who comes from the Rams where they saw two young rookies and Kobe Turner and Byrony Young step in and play and learn from a guy like Aaron Donald, and they really stepped up and they really performed and they contributed a great deal Kurk to a Rams team that really, you know, was a lot better than what people thought they were going to be. I think Dallas terms is the right pick, and it'll be if he's there at eight. It would actually surprise me that they wouldn't take it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think they're gonna run that card in. You talked about some of the personnel on their defense. When you look at Arnold v Katy, he had a second year growth last year. You need somebody to pair with him to really build around his defense. They're really strong interior with David Ayamada and also Grady Jarriss, So why not add a piece to that outside, a piece that you can really build around. You talked about his long arm. It's probably the best in all this draft class, going speed to power with the long arm, and then he's athletic enough where you can drop him in coverage too. He did that at Alabama and he just destroys tight ends at the line of scrimmer.
Speaker 3: So I'm with you.
Speaker 2: If he's there, he will be the first defensive player taking in this draft.
Speaker 1: What do you make of Chicago now at number nine? Yeah, Caleb Williams going number one. Overall a lot of people have been pegging receiver for them. I do feel like they're better equipped at the position than people act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, if you look at it right Ken Allen is on a one year deal, so maybe that's why they're looking at it. But DJ Moore is a true number one. He proved it last year with justin Field. He could be a number one receiver. Let's not forget co Comet is one of the young, flourishing tight ends in all the football. He got an extension there. And then they added Gerald Everett, so you would think maybe they're going a little bit more twelve personnel because Jeral Everett is a really good player as well. Now people wonder could they go offensive line here. I actually like Braxton Jones. I think he is a good development exactly. And then they took Darnell Wright at number ten overall, I think they go on the defensive side now. But this was one of the best defenses the last six weeks and the season. Matter of fact, they were the number one scoring defense the last six weeks of the season, number one over the whole season against the run, number one interceptions in the last six weeks, and number one in rushing touchdowns giving up the last six weeks.
Speaker 3: It's very good against the run.
Speaker 2: And what happened They traded for Montest Swet and he transformed that defense. Now, just imagine if we had a bookend with him. Jared Versus a guy that his whole game starts with power baldy when you see him, he's a guy and he plays extremely hard, which kind of fits into what the Chicago Bears are trying to be on defense. When you look at guys like Kyler Gordon, Jalen Johnson, Tyreek Stevens and the two linebackers they have, this is a gritty defense that gets after it. So Jared Versus makes a lot more sense to me. Let's not forget they have a defensive minded coach and Matt Eberflus right, he really wants to get that last piece to solidify this defense. I think Jared Versus is the pick up pick.
Speaker 3: What is Chicago always known for, I mean the Monsters of the Midway, all that stuff is real, Like their star players have always come on defense and Chicago Bear fans are used to seeing great defense. And that's what they turned the corner where they made this the trade for Monte Sweat. I said when they made the trade that I didn't believe there would ever be a second round pick of Monteze Sweat's value. Correct and his talent, and you can say that about almost the first round. I mean, this guy changed the defense with his length, how hard he plays, it's always more than just sacks. And so I just think you get somebody opposite him right here, and they're a front four built team. They want to play his own defense, but it starts with their four being able to affect the quarterback. That would really help.
Speaker 1: Let's go inside the Jets war rule right because number one through number nine they're off the board. Okay, so what are the Jets options? What are the conversations being had right now?
Speaker 2: Well, to me, if you look at the bord right now, Roma Dunes is there, Olu Fashionu is still there and that's literally probably where it ends. There's a conversation as well. So those three players to me positional value. I think brock Bert Bowers is a little rich. But when you look at a guy like Olu and what he could be, now if you draft him this year, is it going to be a red shirt year? But just knowing the history of Tybern Smith and Morgan Moses getting up there in age coming off a peck injury where you have surgery, is it a guy a piece that's gonna be a blue chip piece, that's gonna be your left tackle for ten to fifteen years. And then Roma Dunday, right, he's gonna be a media impact guy. And it also allows you the luxury of not forcing Mike Williams back on the field coming off a major knee injury as well. And he pair is nice for Gary Wilson. So these are the conversations we'll be having with my guy Baldy, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Part of the conversation with Jay is I feel like for the second year rowd, they're all in on this year. Correct. I think you've got to maximize Aaron Rodgers while Aaron Rodgers is here and we don't know how long that it's going to be. And I just think you give him as much immediate help, okay. And I think we all feel like we know Rome to the point where we know he's smart, correct, we know that he can adjust learning offense. He did that at Washington. I feel like you're going to get immediate value and well, OLU might be for the future where you go, Okay, we got our tackle of the future. Whenever Tyront and Morgan moves on or something happens. I feel like you have to think just in this moment, this is the moment right here, and I think a doomday gives you that moment.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to ask you to stay at the case for Bowers in this situation if you're in that room, because there's going to be some people probably having that belief in the jet scouting offices that hey, maybe this could be Bowers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When you look at bruck Bauers, you can't just call him a traditional tie end, right. He's a WEAPONEX. He's an explosive weapon on offense. You can line them at the traditional y position, you can line them up in the backfield, you can line them flexed out, and this guy is just explosive.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He's a mismatch for safeties and linebackers, but he's a blocker as well. We were talking about that earlier. Baudy, I don't think people talk about that enough. Not the biggest guy, but he will get after you like he's going to compete and give effort when it comes to blocking. And that was the one thing I really liked about his game in his development these last couple of years, because it wasn't that great his freshman year but where he is in his third year in college football, it's night and day from where it was his freshman year. So we talked about having an explosive weapon that gives you mismatches, like that's what Brock bowrus is. The only question I have is I love to just tight end him. You talk about Tyler Conklin and what he's been able to do stretching down the scene. Jeremy Rutger, I think is going to be a superstar once he transformed into tight end one. He's a complete tight end as far as he will rip your face off, but he also has the speed you saw him on Fader routes last year literally go over the top of safety. So I think he's going to be a star player on this team.
Speaker 3: And Kenny your.
Speaker 2: Bow I like as well. He's a guy that you could flex out. He's also a guy that will get after you blocking wise, and Zach Coops they took last year in the seventh round, is a tall glass of water developmental tight end, so they have a really good tight end room right now. To me, taking Brock at ten would be a luxury pick.
Speaker 3: I think. The only thing I would say in addition what you just said Lajay is it's going to force defenses to match up in a certain way that's going to work to their advantage, whether it's given it to Breese or whether it's going to be letting Aaron decide, you know where to go, Like, are they going to line up if they're in twelve personnel? Are they going to line up with base defense? Because they've got tight ends who can block, including Brock, and so you better be able to handle that with Breese in a backfield. And then the flexibility that you have with Brock Bowers to move him around to get yourself a chess piece against a linebacker or against a safety that drops down. So I just think it gives you a lot more flexibility in addition to the tight end room that's talented. I think it could give you some of that.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you both about the way these contracts are structured a free agency Tyron Smith one year deal, Morgan moses he's up at the end of this year. Also, Mike Williams, who you guys both had mentioned coming off to ACL, he's on a one year deal as well. How much does that affactor in the equation It does Okay, I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing just pushing all these chips today.
Speaker 1: It's all connected.
Speaker 3: It's all connected. I mean, there's a reason why these contracts were structured the way they were. It's all about just this season. Some teams, you know they're building that roster, you know that's going to be competitive and star studed for the next Like San Francisco they've got that roster set. But the Jets right here because of the quarterback, like, you just got to feel like it's about this year. We'll get to next year. When we get to next year, like, it's still going to be a talented roster with all the youth that they have at key positions. But I just think you just keep pushing the chips to the table.
Speaker 2: And what it also does, it gives those players incentives right to go out there and play hard because they're on one year deals to try to re up next year. When you look at a guy like Tyron Smith, if you can go out and prove it can be healthy for fifteen to six team games, that's two years of work. So and I can be healthy, I deserve a payday. Mike Williams the same with him. He's been hurt the last two years, if you can go out there and play fifteen games and be healthy and produce, he's showing other teams I can be healthy. And we haven't even talked about Hassan Reddick, who's essentially on a one year deal with the Jets, who's essentially on a revenge store because he won an extension, wasn't able to work it out, came, you know, down ninety five to the New York Jets. He's going to be motivated. So I think that's another good thing that Joe Douglas did. He got players that are motivated with these one year deals to go out there and perform.
Speaker 1: In this mock, you, gentlemen, have the Jets taking wide receiver roome A Douncy out of Washington. How does he fit this offense specifically with Garrett Wilson Williams calming off the acl but a prototypical, big time vertical threat on the outside. You also have some young guys here and Exavier Gibson, Jason Browne, and the Jets have confidence Alan Lazard is going to return to form here warn Rodgers.
Speaker 3: He's a point scorer, that's what he is like. You know, he's a guy. I think when we see a guy like Puka or Justin Jefferson or Jamar come in and like establish themselves immediately as rookies, I feel like Rome could establish himself even with the talent that's around him, Like just because of how strong his hands are, his route running, how Crispin is already, and his size, I just think that's a guy that Aaron Rodgers, the way he had that relationship with DeVante Adams, the way we felt like he had it with Garrett going into the season last year, Like, I feel like he's gonna see this guy's talent and back shoulder fade routes, like he's never gonna be covered in Aaron Rodgers's mind. And we've seen him have that success with a bunch of guys in Green Bay, and I feel like he's that type of player.
Speaker 2: And I'm so glad you brought that up in regards to him playing with talented receivers, because that's exactly what he did in Washington. Like when you look at Jalen Polk, He's going to be a second round Melon is probably gonna be a third round play. Like these are guys that are gonna go high in the draft, and Roma Doonsa had success with them. So when you talk about Garrett Wilson, this will free him up in the middle of the field in regards to playing in the slot more and he won't have to worry about that safety over the top because if you leave Roma Doomsay one on one on the outside, it's lights out. You talked about the catch radius, the fade balls. When he goes up with the football and goes to catch it, it's not fifty to fifty jump ball. It's seventy thirty. Roma Doonsa is coming down with the football. So now you have him, and you have Mike Williams on the other side who can stretch the defense as well in regards to going up and getting the contested catches as well. You got two margins on the outside and one of the best young route runners and Garrett Wilson on the inside. This would be a potent offense if they were to get Roma Doonese at.
Speaker 1: Ten outstanding analysis. Gentlemen, will to see how it all plays out. A draft weekend