Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were on with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Monday, September eleventh, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number twenty eight. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We're live from that WBC Mortgage studios at the Star and today we are talking about.
Speaker 7: An absolute beat down.
Speaker 6: Cowboys going to New York on Sunday night football beat the Giants forty to nothing. Probably, in all the time that I've in with the Cowboys, probably the most dominating victory I've ever seen the Cowboys have Minnesota last year was pretty close, but just the way they did it last night was I think one of the most dominating formatives I've ever seen from this team. So let's start there. What I'd love from you, guys is just your big picture takeaway from that game. There was so much that happened. What will you remember most about that game, and what does it mean for you? I guess going forward, let's start with you Patrick.
Speaker 4: The defense is special. It's off to a special start, and all they need to do is, like Michael Parson said after the game, it just needs to be consistent and they need to perform like this weekend, week out all the way through January, hopefully into the beginning of February. But what we saw last night against the New York Giants on the visitors field, I mean that was greater than great. That was in fact special. From Michael Parson sat in the tone early with that sac on Daniel Jones. You had the New York Giants moving the ball on the first offensive drive of their content. But and they were aided by a penalty, the fifteen yard penalty. Brian, you talked about doing away with those nonsense penalties. It almost bit them in the face, but they mounted up, they held firm, and then that gave special teams the chance to be just that special. With the block pump by wan Ye Thomas, who in the course of five snaps, look at the block punt on that that offensive drive that was stopped, He stopped Sa Kwon Barkley by filling that gap. Then he had a big PBu on Darren Waller, a target to Waller. Wan Ye stepped up huge, Marquise Bell stepped up huge, and these young guys stepped up and matched the headliners the Marcus Lawrence, Michael Parsons also DIGGI zuwa jay Ron Curse. I mean, every single guy on that defense made a play, even the guys who came in on the back of the fourth quarter of the close out and keep it a shutout. So biggest takeaway for me is that, yeah, the offense it you know, it looked okay, and it had its moments, and it struggled a little bit to get going at first, but special teams and defense basically on the day. So again, which we're using that word special, That's what I want to see from this Cowboys defense because this is what I think they can be.
Speaker 8: Well, I think this game what it meant to me or not that I needed something extra, but I think my love for dan Quinn has been extra solidified and there's no going back. I absolutely freaking love the guy and something else. And I know Patrick, you posted a video and we always stand there when the players are coming off the field, and this is just it didn't happen just this game. This is something that dan Quinn does. He hangs by the door the entrance of the locker room, waits for every player, not just the guys on defense. He hugs, high fives, congratulates, or just a pat on the back to every single player that comes by. And you love to see that. So going back to last week in one of the shows, remember when we were talking about what players the most important and on defense and some of us, you know, aside from Micah Parson and all that, this is the perfect example. You don't have that type of defense without dan Quinn. You don't have a collective group of guys performed the way that that they did without the right coaching, which is dan Quinn. So credit to him. And it's just super super exciting to see this being the beginning of this season and knowing that typically when you get this going, like the hype starts going, and guys as competitive as they are, they want to keep performing in that level. And it's really really cool just to see everybody getting a piece of it, and it's just not being all about Micah Parsons and to be fair. We saw that Nick was showing us that play. Remember when Osa got that sacked. It was really cool to see because those are the type of opportunities that Micah Parson's just being on the field cre eight, which was they put him into the interior and he was double team protecting him or blocking him, and then that gave the opportunity for Osa to get around, go after the quarterback and sack. So it's just everything that they're building and just giving opportunities to everybody on defense is really amazing.
Speaker 2: This defense carried over what they did at training camp to the field for week one of this game. We saw the opportunities in Oxnard of how they attacked this Cowboys offense working against each other. We saw with Micah Parsons, we saw with Osa Odigi Zuwa. Where I was really impressed with the Cowboys last night was their ability to play on the Giant side of the line of scrimmage. The Giants played on their heels the entire night, and that was something that you want to do. They took the fight really to this Giant offense. As Patrick's talking about, the first drive is a little bit shaky's with the quarterback runs. The ability. The Giants were getting a little bit of traction. But what happens Michaeh Parsons gets a on a third and two, gets an illegal motion penalty. Now it's third and seven. Now you get a bad snap. Now you get a block field goal. Now momentum has swung your way. You know, what you're saying about Dan Quinn is so true. And all the coaches, I think, on the defensive staff, especially at what we saw in the game last night, everybody that dressed had a role in the way they played last night. They figured out ways to use Bell in that role of overshown to play as a linebacker, you know, yan Ye Thomas playing down in the role of maybe what we're going to see from Wilson. You know, guys like that, This is this is what this staff does. And you know, when they can take their players and then and then use them against you, that's the kind of results you're gonna get on a week in a week out basis. They completely choked the run. They completely took the run out of the game. They made the Giants very one dimensional. All week long. We talked about how poor the Giants were at certain spots of their offensive line. The Cowboys exposed them for their problems that they were going to have and probably problems that they're going to have throughout the season.
Speaker 4: And Derek, here's what I would add to that. And when I say the word special, I mean this is not hyperbole. This is absolutely ridiculous. How elite the Cowboys were last night defensively, seven sacks on Daniel Jones, three takeaways, they had a pick six. They did all of this. They constantly had the Giants playing on their heels. They dominated at the line of scrimmage. They dominated with the linebacker corps, They dominated at the corner. Stefan Gilmour gets his interception, his first interception as a Cowboy. Trevon Diggs forces two takeaways. Then from the safety unit they contribute as well. Marquise Bell, one Y Thomas, jay Ron Curse, Malik Hooker, and I talked to Melie Cooker. He definitely wants that potential interception back. He told me he will get that in the next game. So, I mean, when you talk about all of the things that occurred at MetLife Stadium, and then as I'm walking down to the locker room, it strikes me. Donothan Wilson wasn't in this game. No, Jordan Lewis wasn't in this game. So you mean to tell me they did this to a division rival, who we talked about all week is not a pushover. You did this to a division rival, and you're without two impact playmakers on defense, special special, special, and now again we've seen it. I want to see more, more, Give me more.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's the key for me. I won't.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to have anybody try to move the goalpost on me today. The New York Giants are a good football correct, and I know the Cowboys beat them down, and there will be some people start to say, well, are they really a good football No, they're a good football team as a playoff team from last year actually won a playoff game last year. Nobody suspected that last year, but coming into this year, the expectations this is a good, solid NFL football team, not the kind of team that should be beat forwarded and nothing at home and a season opener.
Speaker 7: The Dallas Cowboys did that.
Speaker 6: So you got to give the Cowboys credit for winning against a solid team and just destroying, dismantling a very very solid NFL team let's dive a little deeper into that defense. You've mentioned some of those numbers, but start thinking about the scope of these numbers. I saw a post earlier today from the Athletic check this out. No team, no team has ever one lost forty to nothing or worse, two lost the sack battle seven to nothing or worse, three lost the turnover battle three to nothing or worse, four had a block field goal returned for a touchdown, and five threw a pick six. Here's the interesting thing. No team in the NFL East history has ever had that happen to them in a season. Last night, it happened to the Cowboys, did it to the Giants in a game. That's the kind of stuff where when you start talking about special a special defense, that's got I think special defenses do.
Speaker 2: Now one game is.
Speaker 8: You asking me my finger size, my ring size, That's all I'm hearing. That's all I'm hearing. My ring size, That's all I'm hearing when you start pulling up numbers and stats like these.
Speaker 6: But that's the thing, like it still is one game and I you know, I couldn't through a show.
Speaker 4: Without talking about Texas.
Speaker 7: That's the same thing I said about Texas.
Speaker 6: Right, it's one game and it was a big win, and it showed you some things that you look at your team and you're like, Okay, there's some promise, but that can all come crashing down next week against the Jets. That they have to stay on top of this and they have to keep providing those types of performances. The offense is gonna have to get better. We're gona talk a little bit about the offense. There's some areas where they still got to get better. But all things considered, you love the way it starts because it does suggest that this team is ready to take that next step.
Speaker 4: But it's like we talked about last week, it's not just the offense. We want the offense to match serve with the defense, bottom line, period, But we also want the defense. You asked me directly, how can this defense take the next step? One of the things I said was defensive touchdowns put some points on the board, become an offensive part of the offense, a defective part of the offense. That's what we saw last night. So when you're talking about going against teams like Aaron Rodgers and the Jets, or you know, the Philadelphia Eagles, and Jalen Hurts down the road. If the defense can continue to take the ball away, and they've already shown that they can the past two seasons, so this is not an anomaly. We can depend on that and we expect that to continue to occur. What we need to see is them putting points on the board. So they've done that in week one. Yes, there are still sixteen more regular season games, plus hopefully the ones in January, plus hopefully the one in February, so there's still a lot of football to be played. But we've seen enough evidence from this defense to be able to sit back confidently and say, well, now that we've seen it, we can rightfully expect it, and we don't expect to dip. There will be a bad game. There'll be a bad game or two because this is football and you're playing other professional athletes and other head coaches. They get paid too. But this is the standard. This is the standard, and that's what should excite Cowboys fans, all right.
Speaker 6: So let's dive in a little deeper. Talk to me about that first drive, because if you want to look at anything in the game and say, man, that kind of worried me, I think we all. As we were watching that first drive by the Giants occur, we were thinking, oh gosh, the run defense was supposed to be a little better. Yeah, and it was not in parts of that drive.
Speaker 2: What did you guys see, Well, what happened is the Giants did a really good job of getting into blocks and Dallas was trying to be aggressive and getting up the field. When you watched the game in the way it was played, I had a chance to watch it this morning, and you saw that the Giants they were actually able to get leverage in a lot of situations there where they were able to get inside, hands inside. After that first drive, it totally went away from them as far as the way that they were able to block. But the Giants did a good job of getting movement on your front. You were going to the plan was to try and get up the field and be aggressive, and as you got up the field then that also kind of puts you in bad positions with having to deal with the quarterback runs. But you know, they did a pretty good job of getting down blocks or double team blocks and then getting up on your linebackers. Your guys were fighting blocks that way, the Giants were able to get there were runs of five yards, eight yards, seven yards, the quarterback runs. We talked about that as a potential problem as well, and so you know, once they they kind of figured out that, Okay, we got to play with a little bit more discipline, we got to play with a little bit more pad level, We've got to play with a little bit more of getting off those blocks. Things kind of turned around for him. They did a much better job after that drive of making sure that the Giants weren't able to get inside on them and get that push and get second level blocks. But it was it was it was a concern that you know, the Giants were like you kind of felt like that, Okay, this is going to be one of those games where all of a sudden, Daniel Jones keeps running and then you know that you can't stop him from running the football. That's the one thing I.
Speaker 8: Just thought about you when when first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thing that to me, you know, Saquon Barkley is an outstanding back and he's a physical back, and you got to get bodies to him. Daniel Jones is the guy that can kill you on those third down situations running the football. That's that's the thing you have to he drops back. You lose contain, you know, because all of a sudden, you get blocked down inside and now he's out the door for a six seven eight yard game and he's getting a first down. But they settled down. But the Giants did a really good job of coming off the ball that first drive. The game to me, really flipped after that, after that aborted snap. That's when all of a sudden, it's you know, it's like, okay, dan Quinn and the staff were able to make some adjustments there in the second half and say, okay, this is the way we need to play these guys now, not the second half, but the second drive in that game, because the Giants did a good job of coming off the ball and then making things happen upfront for them. That allowed them to have some positive plays in in that first drive.
Speaker 4: And then the Cowboys basically off of that that botched snap. The Cowboys then double dipped in the demoralization by blocking because Graham gnot he didn't recover from that. He missed a field goal later in the game that you thought that he would have. So he finished zero to two.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you gotta give you gotta give bones Fossil a lot of credit because because brettison the tackle on that side, they they they figured out and I bet you they watched Bretherson and maybe some some regular season stuff that he had involved maybe last year, or some stuff that he had done in the preseason, because they knew that they could stretch him. And what happened was when he's the right tackle, he he went forward and his his base was so wide that it put a natural scene between him and the wing. And they probably saw that during during the week and all their preparation that okay, if we can jump this gap and we'll find out today coordinators talk, he'll probably talk. Maybe he didn't want to give up his secrets, but you could clearly see that Bretherson is off balance, his base is too wide, there's a gap, and one ye Thomas is like, I'm going to take this opportunity to up through that gap. And then he was clean all the way through. So just again good game planning, understanding who the opponent is and taking advantage of the opponent and the weakness that they have at certain spots.
Speaker 4: And we'd really be remiss if we didn't give roses to Noah Igbinoghany in his Cowboys debut, you know, and speaking with Noah going into the game, he talked about some of his mental struggles and you know, his time with the Dolphins and he quote unquote preyed for change and maybe the trade to the Cowboys was his prayer being answered and he's looking for a fresh start. Well he's Johnny on the spot after yy makes that block and there you go. You got to you got a first non offensive touchdown for the Cowboys. So shouts out to Noah Igbinogany for showing up big and his Cowboys debut and the Cowboys and staff making that trade. And you know, there were some that were asking, here come the strays. There were some that were asking, if you know, Deus Kevin Joseph make that play. We don't know, We'll never know. He didn't make it when he was here. Noah made it in his first game out with the Cowboys. So there there you go. We just we'll just let him make it.
Speaker 6: Let's make But you know, one thing I thought that was interesting though, is if you go back and look at the early part of that game, I think the Giants actually did the Cowboys a favor because that first drive you mentioned it, Brian, think about this run five yards, run nine yards. Then they passed for no game, right, then run nine yards, run five yards, run six yards, run eleven yards, run for no game, run for eight yards.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 6: They were running the ball extremely well. And when they passed the ball was when bad things happen. Here's the interesting part. After they then ended up with that fumble snap and then had the field goal block, they came back on the field three straight passes.
Speaker 4: Which were they had anything.
Speaker 6: One got passed defense by fifty six.
Speaker 4: I want John to blink in his.
Speaker 6: Name, Fowler, Fowler by Folller, and then you've got a pass defense by one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then you got a sack by Micah. They come back on the next drive, they get the ball, pass pass pass. They were doing the Cowboys work for them.
Speaker 6: They went away from the run, right, They went away from the run even though it was working, and it created this opportunity where basically they were digging themselves an even deeper hole. And I told Nick, by the time you get to halftime and it's twenty six to nothing, like, how can they come back? There is no path for them to come back because that means they got to throw the ball, and they are not going to be able to throw the ball. Defense will not be offense will not be able to throw the ball effectively in most instances against this defense, because that's what they want to be able to do.
Speaker 4: Quarterbacks.
Speaker 8: The weather condition, which was indeed a factor and a problem.
Speaker 2: The way that the Cowboys rush the passer. Now that teams are going to commit more to running the football, they realized, you just if you're any NFL team about to play the Cowboys, the last thing you want to do is let them rush the passer, right, they are going to load up and try and run the football on you. And so, you know, the Giants had some success. The problem is that they were down and all of a sudden they thought we got to throw. Instead of sticking with a game plan. They started the three straight passes led to the sack and led to them, you know, led to the situation where they had to chase the rest of the game. And chasing rest of the game in throwing the football. The teams, I don't feel like, are going to let the Cowboys they're going to try and run the football. They're not going to even if they're down. They're going to still try and run the football because the last thing you want to do is be wearing parsons around your neck, be wearing osa around your neck, be wearing all these defenders that have to That's the thing about it is you when you throw the ball against the Cowboys, you're playing to their strength. You know, running the football now will be the way to try and neutralize any There's probably going to be some ugly games going forward because teams are not going to let you. You know, they're going to wear you down by trying to run the ball, and you know, it's hard playing run defense and then rushing the passer just when you know you could just rush the passer. It's a lot easier to play that way. But when you physically have to deal with the run to the entire game and then rush the passer also, that's a little bit of a difficult situation for me.
Speaker 4: It was always about shutting down the run for the Giants, and if the Giants did help the Cowboys by getting away from what was working Daniel Jones's mobile. Yeah, but once the game flipped, and it flipped early, and you know, Brian Dave Ball and Daniel Jones felt like, Okay, well it's gonna have to be Daniel Jones winning this game. I sat back in my seat in the press box. I was like, this is exactly exactly what I wanted to see. I wanted to see Daniel Jones try to play hero because he's shown me he can't play hero if you bottle up sa Kuon Barkley, which the Cowboys did, and then you talk about that that hit Digs laid on Barkley to create that tip drill, which was a pick six for Deron Bland. I mean, at every point of attack after that first drive and on the back end of that first offensive drive for the Giants, it was just all Cowboys. They set the tone after the Giants thought they had set the tone, and then from there it just became a runaway training and there was nothing nothing that Daniel Jones and that offense could do about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, we're gonna take our first break when we come back. Gotta full over to the offensive side of the ball. There were lots of things to discuss there. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 2: Let's roll back the tapes.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys, And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile banking.
Speaker 11: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 4: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 11: Erika is only available in the English language. You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices. Message dat rates MA apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 3: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can off Doctor Pepper, Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 2: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 9: My friend supported me during a tough time. But what's the right gift that says thanks for.
Speaker 1: Being a soldier to cry on?
Speaker 3: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 5: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cat utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back the Break Rally Days, presented by Seat give NFL fans an experience of a lifetime the day prior to the Dallas Cowboys home games on September sixteenth. Enjoy activities at Miller Lightehouse, get behind the scenes tour of at and T Stadium, and more. Visit at and T Stadium dot com Slash Rally Days for more information and to get your tickets.
Speaker 6: Today, welcome back second segment of The Break. We are live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star and this segment is brought to you by Blockchain dot Com. All right, let's get back into Cowboys Versus Giants. Cowboys win forty kickoff the NFL season. Let's talk about the offensive side of the ball. Let's start first with Mike McCarthy and the play calling. This was the first game we got to see him as a Cowboy coach calling the offensive plays.
Speaker 7: Tell me what you saw that that.
Speaker 6: Kind of peaud your interest or that you had a problem with, maybe in how the plays were designed or how he called.
Speaker 2: The creativity was the first thing I noticed with some I love the fact that in trips formation, the big play the forty nine yard pass with the double picks, you know perfectly well, that's what the whole idea is. What we saw with Mike McCarthy and the Soffitts of staff was how do you find ways to get separation between these receivers and give Dak Prescott the best opportunity to make some throws. Great example right there the drive that they had where they used the unbalanced line down on the goal line where they brought Tyron Smith over. Those are little creativity, little wrinkles, little things that you can do to kind of put the defense in some bad spots. I felt like that that Mike did a pretty good job of calling plays and have a problem with what he was trying to do. You know, maybe Dak got let down a couple of times on some execution. The ball that there's you know, the third down pass that Ferguson should have caught. You know, that's a play that he makes nine out of ten times. He just dropped that one. That the pass that they had up the seam that that the tide end dropped as well, you know, it should have been with hindershot should have been a touchdown right there. So you know, yeah, there was a couple of just opportunities that they missed on that they loved that probably have had back. But I liked what I saw with the creativity. I liked how quickly they were playing with a little pace. It wasn't a hurry up attack, but you kind of felt like they weren't rushed in this scape. You know. The weather I think had a lot to do with how some of the stuff worked out. But overall though, you have to be pretty pleased with the way that Mike and Dak were able to kind of the communication, able to get the plays in and get them executed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm right there with Brian. I'm impressed with what I saw for McCarthy. I think my biggest qualms would just simply be in the realm of execution. You talk about the drop by Jake Ferguson, which is a rarity for him. He has some very sure and sticky hands and on that flat that could have easily been at worst it would have been fourth in inches and maybe they have a chance to go forward, but at best he falls forward with momentum in the first, Now you had to drop by him to shot. So the tight ends, which you know, the irony beings, U jinxed him, Ambar, you jinxed him by saying tight ends have big days.
Speaker 8: That's why you need to shut up. Sometimes you could do. Yes, that was disappointing.
Speaker 4: So for me, it was just the execution and I you know, we'll get better from Jake Ferguson and pay your hindershot. We've seen those guys have short hands. Uh. And then there was you know, another example would be Tyler Biadda is kind of getting skinned up and turned sideways by Dexter Lawrence, which allowed a pressure on Dak Prescott. So just little things like that, you know. And when you're talking about forty to zero, yeah, we are nitpicking this, but we can because if you look at it, the Cowboys offense is looking to get off to a fast start in this you know, new regime of play calling with Mike McCarthy and Brian Schottenheimer help and coordinate.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I mean it was it was solid because it didn't have to be explosive, So that allowed McCarthy to kind of not have to pull go too deeply in the bag. So the bag is deep, I believe, but he didn't have to go too deeply into what we saw. Versatility in both play calling and how things were schemed up. My favorite play, you know, and soouts out to Tony Pollard for you know, his first game as lead back to rushing touchdowns. He was impactful in the passing game as well. But it is that trips left seed lamb forty nine yards catching run that I believe is a flash of what we're going to see when the Cowboys offense is starting to fire on all cylinders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fourth down play was nice too, the one that went inside the cooks the way they way they kind of you know, they caught the Giants playing off, which I don't understand on fourth and short while you're playing back. But the Giants had a lot of those kind of plays where you're kind of scratching your head. I want to say this though, about the tight ends. I know we're talking about him dropping the ball, but the blocking though on the twenty five yard run the Pollard had, you had you had Hindershot and scoon Maker at that point of attack, and they just completely wiped out the right side there to allow Pollard to run through through that hole right there. So you know those kinds of things. There's maybe there's some things when we finally saw them use well Turpens and Hunter Lifty too as a blocker. Yeah, we hadn't seen it all a really preseason where Hunter Lipke was a blocker and he got an opportunity not only as a full back but also some inline stuff as well. So again some creativity there. The execution part of it I think was the one everything that I know I had kind of an issue with.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think there were I saw a lot of setting up things for future right, Yeah, you saw if you notice, there were a lot of times yesterday when Dak would hand the ball off and he's sprint, He's sprint out of the backfield, just giving the defense something else on tape for them to look at to say, hey might want to count for that guy who keeps running out out of the screen, right that. Those are things they're setting up for future weeks. Lefki is another one. There's something they're gonna do with him. They're bringing him in, they're integrating him in as a as a lead blocker. There will be opportunities to use him as a guy either runs the ball, maybe dips out into the flat and you got a nice little pass out there. There are things I saw yesterday that give me reason to believe this offense has so much more and so many more ways that they can they can evolve over the season, which is what you need an NFL season to be able to evolve as an offense as it goes along.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just a couple of things from me. One, I was gonna talk about Camanto Terpin. He We've seen it last year. How many times they've tried to incorporate him into the offense and it never was really productive in any way. Yeah, it was forced and it never really scared anybody any defenses. But this time around, it was really cool to see him get still get that opportunity and be involved and get that touchdown. Another thing, the O line, I thought they did a really nice job despite not having Tyler Smith.
Speaker 2: Doga.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so he shut us up a little bit too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly what we needed to see that.
Speaker 8: So it's just it's it gives you that sense of comfort quote unquote that Okay, this isn't as bad as we thought it could be. And he held up pretty nicely. I thought Dak had a lot of times at times no s yes. And however, I will say this.
Speaker 10: I'm not.
Speaker 8: I wasn't super impressed overall. I'll differ from you guys. I wasn't super The spark was missing, But you got to take into account the weather. Mike McCarthy talk about the field being soft, and that obviously affects this the game. But also I took this as a I'm not freaking out or anything, because I know the talent that they do have, and like you guys talked about, you see those moments where you're like, Okay, that's gonna be good. That's good they're putting that on film and all that. But also I took this kind of like a preseason game for the offense and just them being out there getting that time of being together. They haven't done that. We know that, and it's a little different for offense versus defense not getting playing time during the preseason. So I'm not I know I've seen on Twitter fans kind of being really concer and freaking out this early on. I would say, take it from me, the main alarm ring or whatever. I go, you know, nuts with certain things and exaggerate but there are a lot of things to be positive about, and this offense can be really really special. They didn't need to be in this game, but I think it's not always going to rely on the defense don't be able to put their part.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of concern for a Doga because we I mean, let's be honest, and I think we have about him. You know, you go back and watch him and I studied him this morning. In the game, he played well, Did he play great? No? Did he play well yes? Was he all balanced some yes? You know, was he fighting throughout the whole game? Yes he was. He looked much better playing in the small space than he did play and tackle, you know. And if you were evaluating him as the way he played against not only Micah Parsons, but others during train camp, you know, there was not a lot to go on there. I mean, I'm I'm you know, I'm happy for him that he played that he wasn't a liability in this game. That's where I was worried about. They did a good job on the inside. Three of the giants in this game. They really did other than you know, Lawrence the one time getting beyonddish turned they really did a good job on the inside three that Zach Martin Beottish and adoga and so to me, I'm not playing a Doga anywhere other than guard. Yeah, you know, I I saw what was going on at tackle. I'm not going that route anymore. You know, if you want to say he's a guard, he's a guard, let's go for it. So, you know, good for you know, good for him, and good for the way he played. But you know that's you know, they having Tyler Smith back will help this team. I will absolutely help this team. And I say tip of the cap to a Doga for how he played. It wasn't pretty, but it was good enough to get the job done. They didn't need him to play at a high level, but he played it. He played at a good level.
Speaker 4: That he did. And there still has to be a lot said about the usage, the utilization of Cavante Turpin. I mean, you know, well, you have six six or so. He had five touches on six or six targetsu, three targets, two catches, three runs and then three of his runs he averaged four point seven per carry. That was only point zero three less than Tony Poler, the lead back and he got one of the touchdowns. So Cavante Turpin is clearly going to be a part of this Cowboys offense going forward. And that shit terrify O posing defenses because guess what, the Cowboys haven't even mixed in duce Van just yet. So duce Von was getting some reps on the back end of the of the game when it was well well well out of hand. But the fact that Cavante Turpin can now come in and not only be that return guy but also be that change of pace guy out of the backfield slot receiver at times left end to a touchdown. I mean, creativity is just endless in this offense.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: I don't know how rare it is, but I know it's very I have to assume it's extremely rare that you can have a forty point win and you get to the third segment of the show and you haven't mentioned the quarterback Dak Prescott. But we're going to take a break, and when we come back, we're going to do just that. We're going to talk about Dak Prescott and what we saw from him yesterday in that forty point when we'll be back.
Speaker 7: Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per ho. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 2: Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you.
Speaker 12: Don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and Right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 11: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 5: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractor combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: Back to the Break, Got that check out the latest and greatest addition to the Tours at AT and T Stadium at the Star in Frisco, Meet Jerry Jones Interactive Experience.
Speaker 2: Get a peek behind the curtain into the fascinating life of Jerry Jones. With a focus on innovative fan experience. In partnership with AT and T, this interactive technology gives tour goers the opportunity to ask mister Jones a variety of questions. For more information and to book your tour. Visit Dallas Cowboys dot com Slash Tours Welcome Back.
Speaker 6: Final segment of The Break, Live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star's Time to talk a little Decoder rain. Yesterday, mister Dak Prescott when thirteen for fifty four percent completion rate, one hundred and forty three yards, no interceptions, no touchdowns, but his team came away with a forty point to nothing victory. What were your thoughts in his performance?
Speaker 4: I mean any stat and box score watchers who will look at his stat line and say, oh, that was pedestrian or a couple of things here. Number one, he didn't he and the offense didn't need to explode. They just needed to continue to manage the game, not do too much, because then you get into situations where you might start letting the other team get back into the game. McCarthy, Dak, the Cowboys learned that lesson from Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers, Jaxonville Jaguars, and Trevor Lawrence. But what I did see from Dak Prescott was that, you know, he did well and keeping the game where it needed to be, keeping the Cowboys offense movie once they got going. But bigger than anything was he made the plays he needed to make when those plays needed to be made. We talked in the last segment about that Trips Left formation big play forty nine yard game or the Ceedee Lamb that was a big one. Talk about the Dak to Cooks on the five your game on fourth and three to convert on the Giants thirty eight yard line, which then led to more points for the Cowboys. So when you start talking about Dak Prescott's performance against the Giants, don't just look at the box score. You need to go back and look at the plays that he made when they needed to be made. To keep the chains moving, which then keeps the defense on the sideline so that they can be rested when they come back in to make more plays.
Speaker 8: I think the environment could very well have led to interceptions, you know, the climate, the rain, that could have led to that. So my point will be quick here. I think, well not. I think I am glad that he was able to not make those mistakes because we would be here once again talking about Dak exactly exactly. That's my point. So I thought, despite of everything that we talked about earlier on them needing to pick it up a little more, they didn't need to. I thought he protected the ball well and did what he needed to do. So I'm excited to see what happens next week in a game where I think they'll need a little more spark.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Ryan, this offense, it didn't have to be great, and it surely wasn't great. And you're talking about the quarterback. You know, he didn't do anything to cost you the game. The game was. The best drive of the game was the start of the drive that started the second half. Yeah, that was it. I challenged and I know on one five to three on our halftime show, I challenged the Cowboys. I said, come out in the second half, take the ball and go get points, Go get seven, Go make me feel better about what's going on here offensively, And they did just that. It started off the pass to Gallop for ten yards. Then you get the Pollard run, you get Turp and gets a run, You get the pass for nine yards from Prescott, the lamb Pollard again with the twenty five yard run. We talked about the blocking at the point of attack. Recal Dowbtle gets in there for four yards. You know, Dak misses a hindershot though down down the deep left you know very well could have been it could have been a big play right there. But there's where you know, you're starting to see plays play after play after play. You're seeing rhythm to the offense. You're seeing Dak mix up the run pass. Him and McCarthy are on the same page. It was a really, really pretty drive. It was the best drive they had during the game in a game where the offense didn't have to be great. And but I needed to see that. And Ambar's talking about maybe some of the preseason rust and things like that, they practiced a lot against this defense. You know, I felt like that that was a good tune up for them. But that was the drive that I needed to see because that's how they're capable of playing football. The rest of that stuff, that stuff you need to evaluate. You need to see, well, how was how was the blocking? Was the routes good enough? You know? Where was the quarterback's eyes? Was he throwing? They didn't turn over the ball, That's the number one thing right there in a bad condition game. They didn't do anything to put their defense in harm's way, but they needed that drive to start the second half. That makes me feel good about going forward here. Regardless of anything else. You want to focus in this game.
Speaker 4: When you go ten plays seventy five yards and it burns just under five minutes and it's pouring down rain, yeah, I think that's good. I think that's good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: That's if you go back and listen to or watch our postgame locker room video that we had of coach McCarthy addressing the team. What he said to them was you protected the ball. You took the ball away yeap, And I think that was the key yesterday.
Speaker 7: The Giants didn't protect the ball.
Speaker 6: The Cowboys did, and the Cowboys defense just took it away and the Giants didn't. So I think that was ultimately in a game like that, that was the difference. Really, the offense didn't have to be great, as you guys said, It really didn't have to be great. They just needed to manage the game. And I think they did a great job of managing the game.
Speaker 2: Yes, So one thing that you know, the thing that with defensively for the Cowboys that is as well as they play, that really to me was Isaiah Hodgens catches the ball the Giant's biggest play. Isaiah Hodgens catches the ball on Diggs and he's running away. What does Diggs do? He goes and hammers that ball to get it back. That's what you're going to have. If you're going to give up a huge chunk play, you make sure that you go and try and make amends for that. So, you know, we're all kind of, oh, what a great play. By day, that was a great play, but you know we also that he gave up a big play, you know, but to hustle, he put himself in position to, like Derek's talking about, take the ball away. That says a lot about how these guys were playing defense last night. Even in a bad situation, Diggs found a way to turn it into a positive for this defense.
Speaker 6: I look at the fact that I mean and Nick, we're talking about this on the plane ride back. Really, the weather to me, for both offenses was a challenge. The difference was boys held onto the ball. Like there were situations where they, just like the Giants, offense just got lit up and they didn't hold onto the ball in situations where the Cowboys did. The weather was bad and it was it affected both offenses, and then the offense was going to do great things.
Speaker 2: Last night, Pollard had a fumble. Pollard got hit and luckily, luckily it was a screen where you had and the guy who handles the ball every single play was there to make the recovery. The guy that's comfortable grabbing the ball, you know, Zach Martin's gonna dive in there, but be oddish right there where he needed to be. Ball gets hammered out of Pollard's hands. Now it's on the ground. But the Cowboys did a great job. And that's what I'm saying. When the ball's on the ground for you, you got to find a way to go get it. You know how many times we've seen you know, guys standing around and the balls on the ground and the next thing you know, the other team's on it. You know, very good awareness by Bey Oddish to get on that ball.
Speaker 7: All right, that's a wrap for us. What we're going to do is tomorrow quickly.
Speaker 4: We got to do this. We got to give Brandon Aubrey some roses. The resiliency in Aubrey, I mean, obviously coming out of camp and going into the regular season, we're still wondering, you know, if he's going to be the long term solution at kicker.
Speaker 2: And we're still my Twitter feed wasn't pretty.
Speaker 4: We're still hoping that he builds. But the fact that he misses the extra point and then immediately everybody's like, oh, here we go. That young man stayed for mentally, and he made the remainder of his extra points. He made the entirety of his field goal attempts, and every single one of his his kickoffs were touchbacks out of the back of the end zone.
Speaker 7: In tough condition. That's what also needs to be mentioned.
Speaker 6: There is in tough conditions, and I certainly was, Yeah, at one point in that game, multiple points in that game. It was a really big torrential downpour.
Speaker 2: It was you walked down on the field at the end of the game.
Speaker 8: No, no, I did not.
Speaker 4: But do you hear a cole.
Speaker 2: No, there's all these great pictures from that stadium of Ambar bundled up like she's like she's ice station zebra. You know it's Siberia or something like that.
Speaker 7: Oh, it was beautiful before the game yesterday.
Speaker 6: We were all down there on the sidelines, nice breathe and drop starting.
Speaker 7: And then soon as we get up it's like the rain came.
Speaker 8: But those are the type of sprinkles that got you sick.
Speaker 6: All right, we appreciate you. Johns' back tomorrow. Tomorrow we're gonna get into some player evaluations. I got a number of players. I'm gonna throw out for these guys and let them tell you what they thought of these players and what they did yesterday. Until then, for Patrick Walker, Brian brought us Amber Garcia.
Speaker 7: I'm Dereky.
Speaker 6: This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.