Speaker 1: What's up, guys. Hope you're having a good weekend. Sunday Sampler. Some highlights from some of the podcasts that you may have missed. The Bobby Cast, Four Things with Amy Brown, Sore Losers Movie, Mike's Movie podcast, Get Real with Caroline Hobby. On the Sore Losers lunchbox ran into a major celebrity in the world of sports, and then the guys played good dad or bad Dad. You can hear that coming up in a second. On Get Real with Caroline Hobby, she sat down with singer songwriter Sarah Beth Tate. Sarah Beth is awesome. She's also been on the road with Eddie and I. And in the Bobby Cast, Riley Green stopped by the house. It was the longest that Riley and I have ever hung out. We're forced to sit there for an hour, but it ended up being great. And the other time it's been very quickly doing shows together. But man, I like this, dude, I think you will too. So let's go first with the Bobby Cast. And if you like this, go listen to that episode because maybe you just missed it, or go subscribe to the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 2: Here you go. The Bobby cast with Riley Green.
Speaker 1: Help.
Speaker 2: Do you get any sort of flack for how old are you? Know, thirty five or six? Yeah, I got married a couple years ago, but I.
Speaker 1: Was thirty nine when I got married, and everybody back home was like, you're broken or gay because you're not married. Is everybody where I was from was you got married at nineteen twenty?
Speaker 2: I mean not you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, everybody my parents and yeah, they were convinced the thing that I was off, like intellectually or that I just they were like, it's okay if you're gay. I'm like, I'm like gay, and if I was, I would tell you.
Speaker 2: But I've been called a lot of things. But it's like I'm thirty nine and you're thirty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that now it's probably at least everybody that knows me personally has seen what my lifestyle is like in the sense of how much I'm gone. I mean, I don't have regular relationships with my friends.
Speaker 2: But what about it at home?
Speaker 1: Are they like Riley, well, you know, well you're not married because at home they don't see probably what your travel like.
Speaker 2: My mom didn't see my travel life was like yeah, my mom, My mom has my calendar. Oh yeah, she's.
Speaker 3: My mom has been really great about that. It's like maybe early on, I'm sure she had a little bit of that and was worried about me, you know, finding somebody whatever. But now I think she just knows that this is such a timely point in my career. I've obviously been very blessed and I have accomplished things I never thought I would.
Speaker 2: But there's also a lot of opportunity that comes with that.
Speaker 3: And I just kind of had in my head when I was going to sign a record deal to just put my nose down and grind it out and do everything they asked me to do anything I could for a couple of years, which that's stretched into five now. But uh, I think they get that, and I don't see a lot of pressure. I think that my lifestyle is going to have to change where I go from playing you know, one hundred and twenty shows a year to sixty.
Speaker 2: But what's going to make that happen? Though? Oh, like, what's what's a fact?
Speaker 3: That's a great question, because I because it's you know, as you well know, it's up to me.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I mean I could turn down anything I want to, Uh, I don't know. I hope it's just something clicks and we get to a place where I can say, this is the budget for the year, this is how many shows we can go do it. I'm happy with making this much and this is the career I'm going to have from this. And maybe that's from you know, a lot of opportunities not being available that are right now. I don't know. It's a probably one of the more scary things about it is knowing that with this type of travel schedule and lifestyle, I don't really have much chance of beating somebody, and how much things are gonna have to slow down for me to get to that place.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's also a momentum based industry very much.
Speaker 3: It's such a battle to stay relevant right probably now more than ever because of all the avenues of new music and a new artist discovery or whatever that is.
Speaker 1: So it feels like if you let up by letting something else in, regardless of what it is, if it's you want to go away for three months to hunt, or if you want to have a serious relationship, like you're like, well, if I have dedicated this is the struggle that I went through. If I dedicate my time to this, then this is going to suffer. And so I was never going to get married. Just I was just like, you know what, I'm never gonna have time for it because I also I feel like I am I have a huge imposter syndrome, and like, if I don't keep going, I'm never going to get back to this level. And then I met my wife and it was like she kind of bost me out of it, and for the first time ever, I let her because I was happy that I met a person that as much as I was annoyed by it, I was more annoyed by the fact that maybe she wouldn't be there. And it was the only time and I dated. But I mean it was you know, I had my move to Nashville. Holy crap, I never got girls, and I got all the girls at once that it was so it was wild, and then it was this is weird. And then I was like, I'm never getting married.
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 1: And then I met my wife and I was like, man, I really don't want to slow down. But worse than that, I don't want to like lose her. That's whomever I don't even know, you're You're you never married, right, never married anything. That's what we because you're not going to ever go. I only want to make this much money this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just uh, you know, it's a really funny thing to say, probably to my buddies back home from now side looking in, because they're like, oh, man, rather meets but where do you really meet a girl at?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Where do you get to invest time in a human exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 3: And and you know social media is probably whereas some people would use that to meet people, it's the opposite for me because how do you really use that, you know, with what I do for a living.
Speaker 2: So it's it's an interesting thing. Like I said, I've uh, I mean I.
Speaker 1: Used it, but it wasn't for good Yeah, Like I used it, but it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't for meeting somebody to marry, right, It wasn't like long term investing. The girls I've met on Instagram probably watched wrestling, and mom probably let them watch wrestling, so it would never work, or they were wrestlers.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: But no, I've I've had a couple of years where we've said, man, let's take off November and and and let me you know, go hunt just kind of disconnect and write whatever, and we've never taken one off, so it'll it'll it'll be that. I think that I've I've guaranteed myself a career that's more than I've ever thought I would have.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, there's just so much opportunity, and I think the only thing that makes me nervous about my career is not making the absolute most of it, you know, not getting every opportunity that I can.
Speaker 1: But you're never gonna get every opportunity can You're never gonna be able to get to every opportunity I had to.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you if you go to therapy at all, but god dango, this was I.
Speaker 1: Know it's probably what this is therapy because I go to like have we go to a couple's counselor and I go to my own and he was like, because I would say that, and I'm a little older than you, so I would be like, if I don't take advantage of everything, and he's like, you'll.
Speaker 2: Never be able to take advantage of everything. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: You're you're running on a hamster wheel that you can never get to go fast enough to actually matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that it's a little bit of an overthinking type thing. I will say, I'm mindful that there's nothing that I feel like I'm gonna miss if that makes sense, Like if my career panned out right now and it is what it is, I can go play shows for the next fifteen years. I would still be very excited about that. So it's not like I'm gonna be leaving something on the table. I just know there's opportunity right now. And it's almost like, I'm sure you were the same way. When I'm sitting around, I'm thinking, man, what could I be doing nothing? That's pretty tough to explain to a girl. Let's say you've gone on a couple of days with and she wants to know why you have a day off and you want to go right or you want to go do this or that, you know, And for me it was hunting. That was a really hard thing to explain, Like why would you want to go sit in the woods by yourself after being on the road for eighty days this year and I haven't found the answer to that?
Speaker 5: Be kind, good, kind.
Speaker 6: Cast up man, little food for your So life ain't Oh it's pretty bad, Hey, it's pretty beautiful man life a little more exciting because said he can't cut your kicking up with Full Thing with Amy Brown.
Speaker 7: Hey, it's Amy Brown from four Things with Amy Brown, and here's what we talked about this week on my podcast. The first thing that we're going to do here is messing up at work and like how to not let it completely get you down. Because I just messed up big time on the podcast. I thought it was just going to be between me and Morgan Massingale, who was my guest, and it was actually for the fifth Thing earlier this week. She ended up not being my guest. If you listened to that, you didn't hear her because well, we recorded it in Bobby's office, which is where we are right now, and she shared a lot about her dating life. Well, I did not have her microphone up and so the audio is just me, so that's not gonna work. So I thought, well, this is just between me and Houston, my producer, and Morgan. I informed her and she was like, oh good, because I feel like I overshared, so maybe this is a good thing. So Lunchbox found out about it, and then he brought it to the Bobby Bone Show yesterday. As a bonehead story of the day, and I thought, okay, well now everybody knows and I feel as though I am a professional in this field. I've been a radio for almost eighteen years. I should know what I'm doing. I should check levels and volumes, and sometimes you make a rookie mistake. But then when they brought up the bonehead story of the day and that I was a bonehead for doing that, they brought up a couple of other times where I have messed up on the podcast.
Speaker 8: I'll say, even the best of the best make mistakes.
Speaker 7: Well, so I would love for you to share a time. Maybe you've messed up at work, and then if anybody else has messed up at work, I'm going to go through a guide to help you move forward after your mess up. And maybe you don't mess up at work. Maybe you've messed up in a friendship or a relationship or something else. But it's looping in your head like you're a failure. What's wrong with you? You're an idiot. You're so stupid, that's my narrative. Yeah, how do you even have this job? So do you have any mess ups at work? Are you perfect?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 8: I mean I feel like, I mess up every day, and for me, the thing that has always helped and I'm like, as I get a little more wise each year that passes is like identifying it and just owning it really early, because if I let it fester, then I go down that rabbit hole that you were just talking about. But I would say my typical mess up where I'm catching myself is I say what I'm thinking out a little too abruptly, well just matter of fact, when I'm like, I need to like filter that a little bit in the trust circle because they might receive that is criticism when I'm trying to, you know, get feedback. Yeah, you bet so. I mean that's a consistent like, oh crap, I messed up.
Speaker 5: In my head.
Speaker 7: This is how you move on after you've messed up at work or maybe just messed up in general. I feel like this could even apply to parents. Sometimes we mess up and you may be reacting away with your kids you didn't want to or you're not proud of, and so this could I think apply to that as well.
Speaker 9: Step one, allow yourself to feel awful about it, but not for too long. Don't just stuff it down.
Speaker 7: Be like, okay, I can feel bad about this and the volume down on the podcast microphone.
Speaker 9: Again, that's not a big deal, is it.
Speaker 7: However, I respect people's time, and Morgan sat here for thirty minutes and took time out of her day to do that, and so then I felt bad for her wasting her time. But then when all of your coworkers, who all have their own podcasts, and clearly they checked to see of the volumes up, just another little like it kind of like whack the mole. Like sometimes you get up and then it's like you're not feeling that great about yourself anyway, and then boom, you get whacked down. You're like, because sometimes I wonder why am I here? What am I even doing? And then that sort of solidifies, like, well, just whack me down and be like I knew I wasn't supposed to be here. But that's not always the narrative in my mind.
Speaker 8: But sometimes it can be sharing with.
Speaker 9: You that I have those thoughts.
Speaker 7: Step two, keep things in perspective, which I feel like, that's what I just did a little bit, so you can walk through that for yourself. Step three, confront your war first case scenario and then let it go. Why are you giving big eyes to Patrick.
Speaker 8: So we had some conversation yesterday when we were flying over that leadership in our company. Sometimes it's my job specifically to anticipate kind of the worst and maybe think about more of the negative, like what could go wrong just in case something doesn't work out. We have kind of a quick plan of action, but sometimes in our conversation it can come across like I'm pretty negative. And so we were just talking through that this morning. I said, Hey, we talked about it, planning through it. I'm going to put that back on the shelf and now we're just going to focus on the good and the positive. But I mean, that's something we've talked about a lot, because sometimes you know, as the leaders, you have to anticipate what could go wrong.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm glad you bring that up, because that's actually Step four, create a game plan for next time. And my game plan this time was before we sat down to record, I went and got my headphones so I can make sure we are all good to go. And sounds like that's what y'all do at your company. Step five apologize if you need to, but don't overdo it. I apologize to Morgan. Okay, we're step six, take better care of yourself. And I was reading more in the article about this, and it was like, if you're taking care of yourself, you can be on your A game. We should be treating ourselves like professional athletes, like worrying about our sleep, our work, our fuel, how we're training, all the things. And then you notice more clarity and fewer errors in your life if you are training like an athlete, which does make me think of how Bobby always says he's always training like stay ready, never got to get ready.
Speaker 8: You got to have a little pain to have a little gain, And I think there's truth in that and to what you're saying, I mean, to better yourself. Sometimes you got to go through hard things. But in coming out of that, you got to identify because I realize not taking care of myself doesn't allow me to show up for the people that rely on me, because I was just going to a point of exhaustion thinking like I got to do what I need to do to serve everyone and make sure sure and I'll say that like self righteously, but you know the people that rely on me that I do what I need to to make sure they have what they need and that we're having success. But man, it whit me last year. So I'm learning, Yeah.
Speaker 7: And I have to learn how to make sure I've got content for my listeners. They're showing up, I, you know, serving them in a way with something which I still learned. Later in the afternoon, I had no episode and I went upstairs when I was at home and I recorded something. So something went up and it just wasn't what I had spent time with Morgan on and so I still felt that it was important. But had I been on my A game, who knows, maybe I wouldn't have messed up with Morgan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 9: If you've messed up in any way.
Speaker 7: Shape or form, there's your guide to get over it quickly. Oh I didn't go back to did I s? Step earn back your trust through your actions, not just your words. Boom, No, that's step seven. We'll wrap with that one. And I feel like I'm already earning back trust. I came in with my actions, put my headphones in, check the volume, and here we are crushing it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it live. Oh the two So loser?
Speaker 10: What up?
Speaker 2: Everybody?
Speaker 11: I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports so I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius.
Speaker 12: What up, y'all at his scison. I'm from the North. I'm in Alpha Male. I live on the West side of Nashville with Baser, my wife. We do have a white picket fence at the apartment complex. Soon I'm gonna have two point five kids, and yes, sadly, I will die of a heart attack when I'm seventy two years old.
Speaker 2: Here's a clip from the last podcast. We're gonna play a game.
Speaker 11: It's called Good Dad or Bad Dad?
Speaker 2: About me?
Speaker 12: I left my kids in a hot car.
Speaker 11: No, it's not about me. It's about a teacher hooking up with a student. Okay, she got arrested for hooking up with a high school student. She's a high school teacher, right. The only problem is the dad of the student got arrested also because he knew about the relationship. Wow, So she came over to the house and was like, I want to bang your son.
Speaker 2: Where are you gonna tell me?
Speaker 12: This was Crime Podcast of the top one hundred podcasts right now in the country, the biggest handle, the biggest market share is crime Podcast.
Speaker 2: Over to you.
Speaker 11: So my question is is that a good dad or a bad dad?
Speaker 12: Well, originally he knew about it, didn't disclose what he knew, then was found out and caught by an unbelievable investigation.
Speaker 11: A Missouri teacher accused us sexually hooking up with a teen and the father knew.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing.
Speaker 12: Back in the day, you couldn't tell these timelines. But now with text messages, you're able to find when the dad found out. Back in the day, you could have said, oh, the dad just found out after the fact. Now you know the dad knew about it for months, and so then he gets in trouble too. Because of Apple, text messages, the ring camera on your doors, crimes are able to go a more in depth than they've ever been able to.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the reason they got busted is because the sixteen year old had scratches on his back from one of their sexual encounters, and he showed a picture of his scratches to one of his friends, said check out what she did to me why we were hooking.
Speaker 12: Up, And the friend told authorities. Yes, damn that friend man, first of all, not a friend anymore.
Speaker 2: That's going to end their friendship. They're now foes.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: A second witness told investigator that the student's father had been told by both the teacher and the team about the relationship, and the witness claim to authority is that the teacher and the alleged victim, you student, lookout why they had sex during school?
Speaker 2: That's one step deeper.
Speaker 11: I mean they had someone standing guard outside the door. So when someone was coming bang on the door.
Speaker 2: Dude, what subject did she teach?
Speaker 12: And usually, dude, our teachers always tried to act more mature.
Speaker 2: These teachers our kinky.
Speaker 11: The father said he did not stop the relationship because he believed they would continue to have the relationship behind his back anyway. The father was charged with first degree engagement the welfare of a child. So my question, good dad or bad dad? Is he being the cool dad? Like, oh, dude, you're hooking up with this hoty ass teacher. Like she ain't bad looking, dude?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely bad dad.
Speaker 12: It was a high school, so maybe she's she's probably not that much older than the kid.
Speaker 2: No, she's only twenty six. He's sixteen, but.
Speaker 12: He's less than eighteen, so that makes it bad.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 11: No, I understand why it's illegal, but is he good dad or bad dad?
Speaker 2: It's bad dad.
Speaker 12: I mean it wasn't just one time where the dad felt, oh man, I'm making a bad decision. I mean, it must have been a lot of times where he goes, man, should I really can let this continue going.
Speaker 11: On because I'm thinking the dad's like, man, this is so cool, my teacher. My sixteen year old's hooking up with a hottie. And maybe the dad's thinking maybe one day I'll get to.
Speaker 12: Hook up with the hotty dude. No, not that or pops. Hey, kids, happy, I'm happy he's getting good grades.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there's a dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just looks like DGAF.
Speaker 11: Doesn't give a damn right. I mean I thought that was a crazy story that he just let her.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean I guess you go bad dad, bad dad at one time occurrence.
Speaker 12: Hey, man, take this to your grave. Don't ever tell anybody about it. I'll hold your secret. But if he continues, you're gonna get found out. You can do anything for one time. Once you get to like ten times, twenty times, thirty times, that's when you get in trouble.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's Mike d And This week on Movie Mike's Movie Podcast. I got to talk to the director of Wonka, came out last year with Timothy shallow May. I love this movie, so it was super excited to get to talk to him about the process of making that movie, about casting Timothy shallow May, and I also got to talk to Kayla Lane, who plays Noodle in the movie. So maybe you still haven't seen the new Wonka, But if you're like me and are a big fan of the original movie, I think you'll enjoy this interview. Be sure to check out this week's episode to hear it in its entirety. But right now, here's my interview with Paul King, the director of Wonka.
Speaker 8: How are you, Paul, I'm really good.
Speaker 5: Thank you? How are you?
Speaker 2: I am great, good to get to talk to you.
Speaker 13: The original Willey Wonka is one of my top ten favorite movies of all time, so I hold it very precious and after seeing Wonka, I completely loved it and I'd have to imagine it was such a hard thing to do. And the thing I want to start with first is I love the way Timothy shallow May portrayed Wonka. Did you have that vision first before he was cast.
Speaker 2: Or was he cast and then that vision and it came to life.
Speaker 5: Well that's a really good question. First of all, thank you.
Speaker 14: That means a huge amount to me, because the original Willy Wonker is is right up there for me too, and it's a daunting experience to kind of walk in those footsteps. I think when I started working on the movie, i'd been fortunate enough to meet Timothy in that kind of year where he did call me by your name and Lady Burden knew what a wonderful actor he was, and I really wanted to write something for him, and so pretty much from the second David Haym has suggested a young Willy Wonker film to me, I was like, well, that could be Timothy shaller Mate. So there's obviously never a guarantee that you're going to get the actor that you want, but in my head I sort of went, well, him or someone like him, I don't know who there is like him would be absolutely wonderful in this world because he feels so sort of mercurial, but he's also emotionally grounded and slightly unknowable, and he has that whole sort of range, and I felt that he could feel like a young a younger, Willie want Coral, you know Gene Marder twenty years before the events of that movie. Like it felt like there's a sort of kinshit there somehow, but without doing an impression. And you know, once we'd written the script and sort of sent it to him, it's a nerve wracking moment because you sort of go, if it's not you, I really don't know who it could have been.
Speaker 5: And I thank my lucky stars.
Speaker 13: He said, yes, you mentioned Gen Wilder there, And I got to imagine when you're you know, had this vision of this movie in your head, there's all these things you want to pull from the original. Was there anything that you didn't get to put into this movie that you wanted you from the original? Either it was too expensive, or it just didn't work, or it just didn't make sense.
Speaker 14: There was one bit we tried to do the forward role and the pop up thing, and it felt it just felt a.
Speaker 5: Little shoehorned into the moment.
Speaker 14: It was felt like kind of an Easter egg for the sake of an Easter egg. And and we didn't do it in the end because it felt like it was it was there for fans rather than because it didn't serve the story, so I think. But what was so funny was how much kind of went in and some of it where it went in, and I'd kind of forgotten where it had come from. But you know, obviously I sort of imbibed the original so much that it was sort of like would come out and you sort of go just little bits of choreography and little gestures, and we always kind of were aware of it on set, where you go, oh, you could do the cane thing, and you could do the step thing, and and this is the coin and the storm draining, and I think some of the kind of building blocks. It was kind of really looking at that movie and the original book and go, here's the kind of this is like the playground you're in now, now go play with the toys.
Speaker 13: I think my favorite shot out of the entire movie, Like I'm just a stickler for cinematography, and when I see a great shot, I just make a note of it. The one shot I made a note of it's whenever there's that great silhowere to Timothy Shell, May you really just see like the shadows on his face and the outline of the hair, how much time goes into just getting there.
Speaker 5: One shot probably too much for that shot that was.
Speaker 14: I mean, I love that shot so much, but it was it was it was actually a find on the quite near like on the day, I think that we had the shot of him from behind with the behind the doors, like when he opens the door and walks out, and that was going to be our hero shot, and we were setting it and went, oh, there's a lovely there's a found that there was this lovely profile and chunking through my incredible cinematographer.
Speaker 5: We then went, this is a lovely angle.
Speaker 14: But we kind of wanted to get both and we were sort of trying to get it, and then we were, Okay, we're gonna have to stop everything and get this silhouette perfect because it could be the.
Speaker 5: Shots of the movie.
Speaker 14: And I do remember we filmed it and it was like we sort of didn't one where he goes here we go Mama, and I was like, that's definitely how the treasure that's going to start.
Speaker 5: And then there it is.
Speaker 13: The thing about this movie is that it feels oddly nostalgic for me. And I was born in the nineties, so even the original came out was before my time, but there are so many different generations of Willie Wanka fan. Do you have the people who discovered it maybe in the two thousands, the people who love the original, and then it's a family movie at the same time. How do you watch that line of making a movie that's appealing to kids but also appealing to the adults who are just lifelong fans.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's it's It's funny how that it is interesting because it's definitely I think most kind of like known characters and known through one iteration, you know, like you sort of go iron Man, say you go, most people will have come to it through the Robert Downey junior iron Man, you know, or you sort of go, there will be some comic book fans, but you sort of go, there's one kind of hero iteration. Willi Wanka really isn't like that, as you say, because there's the book, which has an army of fans around the world, is one of the best selling childrens book of all time.
Speaker 5: You got two absolutely beloved movies.
Speaker 14: And it's it's really tricky to kind of to to sort of walk that line. And I guess what I realized early on was you sort of have to your pick your hero references, and for me, it was like the book first and foremost because that's the kind of the mothership, and I didn't want to do anything that wouldn't kind of sit comfortably with that.
Speaker 5: And then the the g Model movies.
Speaker 14: So in my DNA, I mean, I was born in the seven, but I really grew up with that movie as my Willy Wonka so and there were so many iconic choices they made that I kind of wanted to honor in terms of like balancing kids and grown ups. I sort of, for me my favorite family movies and my favorite movies probably in general, movies that can can appeal to everyone. And I never really try and go, here's a bit for the kids and here's a bit for the grown ups. Just try and make something that's as exciting and fun for everyone.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 14: It's kind of I think my co writers, Simon and I we're trying to make each other laugh and find things that we find emotional or funny or silly or eccentric or you know, touching, and if it works, pray that there are enough people out there with our sense of humor and sentiment.
Speaker 15: Carne, she's a queen and talking so.
Speaker 2: She's getting really not afraid to face episode, so just let it flow.
Speaker 13: No one can do we quiet car Line is sounding Caroline.
Speaker 16: Hey, y'all, it's Caroline Hobby from Get Real with Caroline Hobby. And here is a clip from this week's episode. All right, I'm so excited to be back with another bonus episode of Call Caroline, where you the listener leaves your burning questions. I have Sarah Beth Tait joining me. And also, just so you know, you can call and leave a message. Go to the link of this podcast and then hit the show notes and there's a link to leave a message because I know you got a burning question. So are you ready, Sarah Bath? We had a great interview on Monday. I think I'm ready, and so now let's see what people got to say.
Speaker 17: Hi, Caroline and Sarah Beeth. I was wondering if the two of you could chat a little bit about work life balance for moms. I think that there are a lot of demands on moms these days to show up for their kids and their families, but also be all over their career and showing up for that as well. How do the two of you overcome some of those obstacles. How do you find the balance between your personal life and your work life.
Speaker 10: That's a good question. You're crushing the game when that's how you go. No, you go no, no no.
Speaker 15: I I hear you on the pressure to.
Speaker 18: Like I said, I mean, I fully believe that we can do all the things that we're passionate about, and being a mom doesn't mean that we can't do the other things.
Speaker 15: But I also do.
Speaker 18: Feel like we put a lot of pressure as moms to you know, there's the mom guilt either way. So there's the mom guilt if you're staying home, there's the mom guilt if you're gone. We're kind of damned if we do damned if we don't, honestly, and we do that to ourselves.
Speaker 15: But I think the balance for me has been in.
Speaker 18: Always doing, always doing what I feel like is right for Aila, and making sure that she's fully taken care of and fully has me or Colby or some you know, always having what she needs and that she's taken care of. And then letting myself, you know, not putting that pressure on myself, and just you know, being present the days that I'm gone, being present in that being extra present the days that I'm home, Yeah, and just yeah, trying to get by honestly week to week.
Speaker 10: It's a lot.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I know, I do feel you in that because it was like I feel like my like my mom's generation.
Speaker 10: I've talked to my mom about this before.
Speaker 16: Her generation was the first generation where they were like coming out of the stay at home, leave it to beaver, you know, where like you're you really aren't a career woman.
Speaker 10: Yes, you know, it's hard to have a job. You're supposed to raise a family and stay at home and all that.
Speaker 16: And then like I feel like my mom's generation kind of like started finding their way a little bit, and then there was like this next generation, which would be kind of like mine, where it's like you.
Speaker 10: Got to be a boss.
Speaker 16: You gotta be a you know, you gotta girl match the man, the girl boss, Like you got to prove that you can hang in there. And then it's like I feel like Taylor Swift is doing a great example of showing us this.
Speaker 10: It's like you want to have a relationship and have that part of your life and that feminine part of your.
Speaker 16: Life as well as being able to carry this big career. And it's like you want to be able to be both, you know.
Speaker 10: Like I don't.
Speaker 18: I don't feel like I think the pressure comes when we feel like we have to be perfect at all of those things and do it all at the same time, and that one takes away from the other, because that's where like the guilt starts creeping in of like oh, oh my gosh, like you know, what if I'm being a bad mom today because I'm doing this, or what if you know what if today I'm missing out on being the girl boss that I should be because I'm home with my daughter and it's like let it for me, letting go of all the labels of all of that and just really since she was born, week to week, day by day, it's literally like, Okay, here's the schedule for this week. It's always different in this crazy industry, and it's like doing the things that matter both at home and in work, and you know, figuring that out with your partner and trying to just truly.
Speaker 15: Do what feels right for that week.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and then not worrying about like the next week and the week after that.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 16: And like we said earlier, I don't know if we said this on the podcast or just talked about it. But you're bandwidth, like you when you do become a mom, like you only have bandwidth for stuff that truly matters. Because it's like I could just be home doing nothing, but if I'm with Sunny, that is very important work, you know, because you're with your child and being present, yes, and not being distracted.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 15: And I think you know that too.
Speaker 18: Is like, Okay, So if I spend the day playing with Jembo size legos and singing Almo songs all day, that is important work to me.
Speaker 15: Yes, that is worth my time.
Speaker 10: It's worth all your time.
Speaker 18: And I'm not going to spend that night scrolling on Instagram feeling like I missed out on something because I didn't.
Speaker 16: You're present with your daughter, yes, showing her that you show up for her and that she's the only thing that matters and that she has your full focus.
Speaker 10: Yeah. And it's just picking.
Speaker 16: It's like making choices, like you don't do everything that you did before for your career.
Speaker 10: Probably it's a lot more selective.
Speaker 18: And then and then other days, I'm leaving her with someone that I know and trust and love, and that person is present with her and taking care of her, and she knows that MoMA's coming home, and she knows that she's going to have a fun and I am doing something that matters. It is important to me that day, and I'm not going to feel guilty right doing that, right.
Speaker 10: I love that. Just being super intentional.
Speaker 16: I feel like that's really the best way to balance it, being super intentional, intentional prioritizing what really matters, how much time you need, Like I know how much time I need to be with Sunny to make sure to fill my personal cup and her cup.
Speaker 10: Like if we don't have enough time.
Speaker 16: Like she acts different, She's more emotional, Like she even like developed stomach aches when like I was sending her to school a little longer, she started developing stomach aches of like anxiety. And I'm like, you know, you can just tell when they just need to be with you more. And I want to be with her all the time. But it's like you also have to prioritize the gift and your passion, of your talent and your job.
Speaker 10: So I think, yeah, thanks super intentional.
Speaker 18: Well, and like you just said, I think you I think you can feel if your balance is off too, and and feeling we have definitely had I mean there are phases. I think it's just an ebb and a flow. You know, you go through phases where you're like, this, you got to figure something out here because this balance is off and this is not how we want this to feel. And I think in those moments you just have to recalibrate and figure out what works and what doesn't. But there is no script for this, let me tell you.
Speaker 10: Like you, oh my gosh, constant pivoting all the time. Literally, it's like juggling bananas.
Speaker 15: I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
Speaker 10: Half the time ever, never any idea.
Speaker 15: I'm like, how did we get through this week? I don't know, we just did. Yeah, it's just like a hey, it's a blur.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 16: But I do feel like working Mama is like it is definitely it's a constant, Like like you said, it's a day to day, constant thing, and you just have to be intentional and you're not always gonna get it right.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 16: Sometimes you're going to give more time to work. Sometimes you're going to you know, give more time, and you're gonna not give your work what you need, you know. And it's just like you said, recalibrating being able to just like change it all the time.
Speaker 2: That was a Sunday sampler.
Speaker 1: Go check out a new podcast, or maybe you missed an episode of one of the Little Samples here. New episodes are out weekly if you don't mind subscribe, And I know you probably don't rate and review, but if you did on these podcasts, it would really help us.
Speaker 2: Thank you, See you next week.