Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe, Catty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Getty and He Armstrong and Catty Strong. Hey, we're arm Strong and Getty. We're featuring our podcast One more Thing. Find it wherever you find all your podcasts.
Speaker 3: I was fascinated by that python farm story the other day. I actually dug into that, did a little reading, you know, because pythons are big and giant and meaty and and they're like super efficient with the way they turn calories into muscle mass, and they taste like chicken.
Speaker 4: I got a question about that, but when I get to the cannibalisma, I'll I'll hit you with that.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, fair enough. So after the show, before we started recording this, Hanson replayed a clip of me saying something rather dry about Jack, and Jack commented, that's a very I'm just Diane thing to say. And I was reminded of a longtime listener to the show and hilarious tweeter I'm just Diane, and I went digging into our twitter feed. She doesn't tweet as much as she used to, I think, which is a shame for humanity.
Speaker 4: But she's had grown up with a job now and it's not easy. You should follow her, Katie, if you've never checked out, I'm just Diane on I am on her now. She is a listener we became aware of a long time ago. And she's very funny.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah. Her pinned tweet is I'd rather go home than go big, which I agree with. How perfect is that? And then somebody tweeted the the Nancy Pelosi this is not an attempt to ban TikTok, It's an attempt to make TikTok better. Tic tac toe a winner, a winner. Her comment has simply nailed it. Oh boy, man, I love understatement. I don't know about the phone. I think that's hilarious. Oh looking forward to the day my new phone stops autocorrecting, vaping to raping. Oh boy.
Speaker 4: Her best stuff is how much she hates her job and her coworkers. But that's a different topic. So New Scientists is a real science outfit, and they're trying to take another look at cannibalism, and they mention these bones that were found in a cave in southwest England which beared all the marks of cannibalism. It was pretty clear that cannibalism was going on their teeth, marks on the bones and the way.
Speaker 3: I won't get into details. It's pretty gross.
Speaker 4: But and this was fourteen, seven hundred years ago that they were practicing cannibalism there in England. To Protein's protein baby, that's what I say today, they write in New Scientists. Today, cannibalism is a taboo subject in many societies. We see it as aberrant, as a clear in film such as the Texas Chainsaw massacre. We associate it with zombies, psychopaths, and serial killers like hannibal Lecter. Positive stories about cannibals are few and far between.
Speaker 3: I would agree with you there, I haven't heard one of those.
Speaker 4: Wait, what a child's book about cannibalism? Or Jimmy is a good guy, liked to golf, he treated his family well, and he was a cannibal.
Speaker 3: He'll be missed.
Speaker 4: But perhaps it's time for a rethink because despite our preconceptions, evidence is accumulating that cannibalism was a common human behavior. Our ancestors have been eating each other for a million years or more.
Speaker 3: In fact, so was torture for years. In the years for centuries. But that doesn't mean we should reconsider it. What a bizarre story this is.
Speaker 4: In fact, it seems that down the ages, around a fifth of societies have practiced cannibalism. While some of these people, while some of this people eating, may have been simply survive. In many cases, the reasons look more complex. In places like this cave in southern England, for example, consuming bodies of the dead seems to have been part of a funerary ritual, something they did when people died. Far from a monstrous affront to nature, cannibalism may have been a way of showing respect and love for the dead, say archaeologist.
Speaker 3: No, uh yeah, no, no.
Speaker 5: Whoever wrote this needs to be investigated. He's like trying to sell this.
Speaker 3: I don't like it right.
Speaker 4: He's trying to soften a revelation that may occur someday about the barrels in his.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, he's trying to set the table cannibalism. We need to reconsider it.
Speaker 5: I just watched a horrible horror movie about cannibalism where these guys invite a bunch of people over to their house for a dinner party, and they're serving them the victims, but they don't know it.
Speaker 4: Will Jim ever watch episodes of Hannibal, the prequel to Silence of the Lambs. Yes, Oh, my god, when he would when he would sit down at the table in his suit, with his fine wine and his beautiful home and starts slicing off pieces of weather that he cooked up.
Speaker 3: God, that was gross. Dinner table events.
Speaker 4: Do you think because like you, you're so You're talking the other day about the snakes and how that might become a meat of the future, And I said, you because the idea of eating a snake disgusts me.
Speaker 3: There's something about eating a reptile that I find. And I've had snake, I've had alligator, there are multiple I've had it, but I don't want to it's gross. Alligator was great. It's just fried me to say, that's all right, But could could you eat human? No? No, that's repugnant, repulsive? Why, I don't know. It's an instinctive horror, I think now, the concept of it being a funerary ritual. Does anybody have anything else they'd like to say about Jim? Okay, well, then we're passing out knives and forks. If we could all make our way to the cast.
Speaker 4: Get. Yeah, I got more than to say about Jimmy looks delicious.
Speaker 3: Now that's some marbling. I mean, I know, I.
Speaker 4: Know he didn't exercise much, but that is some delicious looking marbling.
Speaker 5: He's creating a nice rub for it.
Speaker 3: Side sick. If you heard me, I think, did I tell this on the air? I can't remember my favorite joke now, which also takes place at a funeral. If you've heard this before, forgive me, but it's short. Uh. It's a funeral and uh, and people are talking about the dearly departed, and the widow stands up and says, is there anybody else who'd like to say a word? The guy stands up, He said I would, and he says plethora, and he sits down, and the widow says, thank you, jim That means a lot to me. Yes, yes, that is a good one.
Speaker 6: I have.
Speaker 5: Actually, you've told that before, and I wrote it down to tell it to somebody else, and then I never did, so thank you for reminding me.
Speaker 3: I pass it on again. Yes, the beauty of that joke is you think the punch your line is that he just says one worker. Yeah, there's a twist and a twist. My love caught the twist. Well done, good, good twist. That's funny. So back to cannibalism.
Speaker 4: I'm guessing that we're designed to be disgusted by it only because most of human history people have been starving. And if you weren't disgusted by it, I mean, if you if you thought of eating another human the same way you thought of eating a cow, we would have.
Speaker 3: All eaten each other.
Speaker 4: I mean, just the strongest would have survived and eaten each other, and the societies that didn't find it up hurt and died out pretty quickly because of that. That'd be my evolutionary guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're just like an epidemiological reason why it's a bad idea because obviously humans can catch human diseases, but I don't.
Speaker 4: I suppose that's possible, but you know, we've mostly been starving throughout history. If you weren't disgusted by it, and like, the only the only way you could possibly do it is if you're you know, the Donner Party, and you're all starving to death. And many of them didn't participate, they went ahead and starved before they did it. If it was okay with you, people would have turned to that right away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I hates Jim. We all hate Jim. Let's eat him. I tell you what though, It's it's all about the method of preparation, because like, I'm not going to have human sushi or anything like that. That's too much. I'm a medium rare guy, but I'm going well done on Jim. Yeah, and I'm like, maybe he smoked all day, like a long maybe jerky even I want it really click. Could it be like a company.
Speaker 5: Could it be like a sandwich or maybe like a wrap or something.
Speaker 4: So it's not just that, yeah, you know what I mean. I don't want it like tender and falling off the femur. I just say, oh, like a turkey leg you know, you see it the.
Speaker 3: Fair, small portions because I'm diabetic. That's right, You're at the fair and you're eating a human legs. Got that foot still see that's disgusting. That's my point.
Speaker 4: So we'll see if this catches on and if New Scientific is successful in their effort to I don't know, mainstream cannibalism.
Speaker 5: I guess you know what the world we're in right now, it wouldn't shock me, right.
Speaker 1: Right you, Jack, Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong.
Speaker 3: And Getty Show. This is The Armstrong and Getty Show, featuring our podcast One More Thing, Get it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 4: I've been familiar with next door for a long time, but I'd never had the notifications on where I would get where I would get the regular everything everybody posts?
Speaker 3: Good God? Is that a smorgus board of unimportant?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 3: Question? It is the forum of first world problems?
Speaker 4: What it is? It's it's a combination of of like first world problems that you really don't need to mention out loud to anyone.
Speaker 3: And uh, and like big problems.
Speaker 4: That there are much better venues for finding the answer, like my you know, my dad has got this disease. My dad's got Parkinson. He happened to be president. Does anybody recommend a good doctor? You going on next door for that?
Speaker 3: Is that your best place to try to figure out these things? It just seems odd to me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess nobody ever responds, So I don't know why everybody's fishing in this pond. I could see asking for a recommendation of like a service provider or something like that. I wouldn't ask what medicine do you think you ought to take? Or anything like that, or you know.
Speaker 4: A football is in my backyards, they may know it belonged to That was one this morning.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, I saw one the other day that somebody took a picture off of a ring camera of a kid that doorbell ditched them, and they posted the video on next door, going.
Speaker 3: Whose kid is this? Right? Right?
Speaker 4: Lots of those, lots of did anybody just hear that noise that happens like ten times a day?
Speaker 3: And then various responses. I did too.
Speaker 4: I thought it sounded like a gun. It didn't sound like a gun. It sounded like more okay whatever. But here's my favorite one from today that got me on this very topic.
Speaker 3: Here's another one. Somebody asking about shingles.
Speaker 4: Find a medical professional or or web md or something not next door that's talking about roof.
Speaker 3: Depilating a nerve pain or exactly I'm talking about the disease. Here's my favorite one.
Speaker 4: Does anybody know what I should do with this crow? It has a hurt wing. It lands between our houses. I'm trying I'm trying to I'm trying to nurse it back to health. It keeps hopping around, and I don't know what to do with it. You gotta put the whip to it. It's not trying hard enough. What should I do with it?
Speaker 3: Call it a sissy and tell it to try harder, right, exactly, tell it. The Good Lord helps crows that help themselves. Is like, is it like the new Google for your neighbors? I don't understand why people are utilizing that. Well, all right, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You don't have Google or any of the other search engines for figuring stuff out, or even TikTok or whatever you do.
Speaker 3: You go to the next door with the other eighty year old. Nothing else to do is to answer your question. Yeah, yeah, it's just I'm just shocked by And I've always wondered this about when I didn't live in a neighborhood for like twenty years. But now I'm in a neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Every neighborhood I've ever lived in, pretty much, there are quite a few houses.
Speaker 3: Where you know who lives there.
Speaker 4: Even if you don't know know them, you see them on a regular basis, getting in their car, kid, coming home on a bike, whatever. But there's always several houses where you just never see anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah ever, ever, you never see anybody ever. Somebody lives there.
Speaker 4: Lights get turned on at night, off in the morning, and that must be the crowd that's on next door asking about crows or medical questions or whatever.
Speaker 3: It must be that you gotta go on next door and say, hey, has anybody ever seen anybody come out of the blue house on them?
Speaker 5: Just start asking really weird questions on there, Jack, that'd be perfect.
Speaker 3: Hey, speaking of asking advice, I thought this was so interesting and it makes sense in my head. See if it does to you. It's new research out about getting advice, asking for advice, that sort of thing, and this, Elizabeth Bernstein writes, we tend to believe the best person for support during a tough time will always be someone who's been there before. Turns out that's wrong. New research shows we make get better help from people who've been through a significant challenge that's different from our own. Because social scientists say this is because those who have been through an unrelated challenge can empathize with our emotional pain, but they won't assume they know what our experience is like or bring their own emotional baggage to the conversation. Oh, hun's great, that is interesting. I think that one over. Meanwhile, somebody who's quote unquote been there before sometimes talks more than they listen. They may also give advice solely based on their experience and forget that ours is going to be different, and because they got already got over the problem, they think we should too, and tend to minimize how painful the situation is. My main advice with.
Speaker 4: Big things that I've been through is usually having been through this, don't listen to anybody's advice.
Speaker 3: That's about my only advice on a number of big things. Wow wow interesting. A cynical man or an experienced man, Sometimes you don't know. Sometimes someone you don't know well may have different life experiences that you can draw upon. You never know what people know until you ask.
Speaker 4: Well, like, that's the advice I give on my cancer experience, because I've had a number of people ask me who get cancer, and I say, don't take anybody's advice, because everybody's situation is so incredibly different. I heard so many things that turned out not to be true, and I've been better off if I never asked. Everybody's situation is miles apart and changes on a daily basis, so don't worry about it. And child rearing while not the same as that, because there are some truths to child wearing, definitely, but man, there's a lot of I don't know, what are you telling me this for when it comes to child wearing. Also, yeah, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of people are trying to express their own how do I put this, work out their own issues or exhibit their own egos or something, because kids are so different and then the parents interaction with the kid is so different. It's just, yeah, it's hard to normalize a lot of it. Yeah, maybe the worst advice giver is somebody who's raised a kid, because getting back to the beginning of this article, they're completely convinced that their experience is universal. I'm not talking about all of you that have had one child. Obviously some of you have wisdom, but yeah, you'd exactly be what she was describing. Yep, I because I've got that situation and it ends up fine. If I just if I'd.
Speaker 4: Only had one of them, I would think I was the world's greatest parent and be willing to lay out all kinds of advice and maybe write a book if I don't lay out the other one, I would think I'm a disaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard that. So final note on this, which I found interesting was the power of weak ties. Conversations with people that you have weak ties with can be surprisingly helpful. They don't know us well, they don't know our faults. They're less likely to judge us or make assumptions about our situation or something like that. I've had many experiences like this. Are much more likely to be a fellow, like a brainstormer, than a bestower of alleged wisdom. They're much more likely to listen and toss out ideas with you than try to lay the law down.
Speaker 4: This is the guy sitting next to you at the bar or the bus stop or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've had this experience many times in my life, and it works both directions. They don't have any particular agenda because they don't know you.
Speaker 3: And you don't.
Speaker 4: They can say things that if somebody who did know you said them, you'd get furiously angry. But because you don't know them at all and have nothing invested, you can just hear what damn to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The power of weak ties thought provoking. Yeah, ask a stranger, the armstrong and Getty show. Yeah, more Jack your Joe podcasts and our Hot Lakes. Hey we're Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 4: We're featuring our podcast one more Thing, find it wherever you find all your podcasts.
Speaker 3: His arms Strong and Getty conveying our love panel.
Speaker 4: So you said love in Bloom or crazy stoker psychobiatch Yes, exactly, Okay, but that.
Speaker 3: Question will be decided by the love panel.
Speaker 4: That's always the problem with that is just it's it's it's it's whether or not the other person is interested in you. All love like chasing someone's stuff is it's just so romantic and well received if the other person's interested, if they're not.
Speaker 3: And he never gave up, and now we've been married for fifty years, right beautiful?
Speaker 4: And I said no five times and I came out aside and he was waiting by my car with a rose. If you kind of like the guy, that's just awesome. If you don't like the guy, you call the police and get a restraining order and maybe pepper spray him.
Speaker 3: Or send your brothers to beat him down. Yeah, right, exactly. Ah, yes, but this is a gal on a mission and Bloom are crazy stalker psychobiac let's find out. Thirteen Michael.
Speaker 8: I saw this really cute guy at the grocery store the other day, so naturally, I followed him to the checkout counter, and when he gave the cashier his credit card, I peeped it to see what his name was, and then I googled him and found his social media profiles, and I was able to tell that he was single.
Speaker 6: So I went through his friends list and I found his mother's page, and then I looked through his mother's page and I saw that she was a member of this book club that's in my area. So I went to the book club meeting and I met his mom there and she just thought I was so nice, and I brought it up randomly in conversation that I was single, and she let me know that she had a son that was single also that lived in the area, and maybe it would be cool for us to get together in chat sometime. So I gave her my number, which she gave to her son, and this morning he texted me and asked if I'd like to get together this weekend and do something. So I guess we're going to go on a date. I'm really excited.
Speaker 5: Wait until he sees this and goes, oh my god, who did I go on a date with?
Speaker 4: Wow, that's a pretty successful effort she made there.
Speaker 3: I don't know how it's gonna turn out. That's insane. Well, we have a little update for you. That young man is now dissolving in a as that psycho decided he wasn't worthy of living, and she is now wearing his skin as his garment and his fingerbones as a necklace. Follow up segment. All right, all right, so dude run from her. God, she actually went to the book club meeting.
Speaker 4: And got to know his mom.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, because he's a cute guy. I mean, look, let's all recognize. I can see a dozen attractive women, there will be one that'll like make my brain explode for whatever, genetic, anthropology, anthropological, who knows why it happens. Reason, Doctor Freud had his own opinions whatever, and maybe it was one of those. Maybe it was one of those. She saw him and just her jaw dropped. It was like, oh my god, for whatever reason, now certainly concocting some sort of can you help me out to the car with this or that would have been a hell of a lot more normal than the whole Sherlock Holmes routine. How troubled are we by the detective job and the roots she took.
Speaker 4: Man the the going to the book club.
Speaker 3: And meeting mom and getting to know her. That is that is a that's a different level. That really feels to me like something that ends up with somebody's cat getting murdered.
Speaker 4: So, Katie, you're more up on the modern world of how this is handling. How do we feel about just like noticing the name on the credit card and doing a little research on online so that.
Speaker 3: See I think that it was.
Speaker 5: It got weird the second she looked at his credit credit card to.
Speaker 3: Get his number his name.
Speaker 5: I like Joe's idea, just hey, could you help me to the car with this, or like a regular approach. But I would be lying if I said that I hadn't met a guy and he had given me his name and I went home and looked him up. I've done that before, but not you know, to the extent to go meet his mom at a book club and then wear his skin later.
Speaker 3: That's weird. Michael thoughts, Yeah, pretty psycho, I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: I'm like Katie, I mean, maybe you look him up online, do a little background check, but that's it.
Speaker 5: Well, here's a little he gives you his name, you don't look at his credit card to like, kind of.
Speaker 3: I don't this. She sounds like a serial killer to me. Well, there's a little surprise. We're going to talk to him live now. He's chained the radiator in her basement. Help me, somebody's helped me.
Speaker 2: Gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's second part of the story.
Speaker 5: He goes missing and she's helping his mom look for him at that point. That's how these horror movies go. She's putting up posters. Yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: I've only become aware recently, and for reasons I won't get into about how all you need is somebody. If you have somebody's phone number, for instance, you can find out everything and it costs you like a buck online, and you got every place they've ever lived, every phone they've ever had, all their friends, family members. Yeah, it's it's horrifying. I mean, it's less worrisome as a dude, but man, if I'm a young woman knowing that any guy who gets a hold of my phone number at all now knows where I live and where my friends live, and where I work and and everything. It's just yeah, it's just different world for that sort of thing. Of course, on the other hand, buddy of mine pointing this out to me their date, And remember when we were younger, all of our names were in the phone book with our address, all of us, all of us. You knew somebody's name, you could look up their address. And it's not like everybody got abducted every day, right, everybody's name was in the phone book with their address.
Speaker 3: Did the unlisted thing come later? Is that no unlisted existed? But I never knew a girl that was unlisted. Every girl was dat she was writing the phone book. Okay, yeah, real rarity. Getting back to the whole meeting mom book class book club happened to randomly mention I was single and subterfuge. That just that that is a willingness to be sneaky and duplicitous. That isn't her first rodeo, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I think we're a little bit into the the modern attitude where everybody's so paranoid of what would you rather run into a bear or a man in the woods for a woman? I mean, just you saying, was that before unlisted was available? Like you wouldn't want your name listed in the phone Everybody had their address the name in the phone book, and every body was fine with it, and everybody wasn't paranoid thinking, oh my god, that's dangerous a guy could look up my address. It worked out. I mean, so is culture that much worse? Are we just way more paranoid than we? Well?
Speaker 3: I would point out that if I had the hots for Jenny Smith, or even unless her name was true, her last name was truly rare and distinctive, there'd be eleven of them in the phone book. I couldn't tell which one.
Speaker 4: That wasn't my experience at all, because I lived in small towns. Everybody everybody's name. There was only one Jenny Smith in every town. Everybody's address was right there. And I don't remember anybody abusing it, or anybody even talking about it being abused.
Speaker 3: No, nope.
Speaker 4: So what changed our parent the reality of stalkers or our paranoia.
Speaker 3: Both? I don't know. People aren't brave anymore.
Speaker 4: They don't want to just go and ask something, ask someone out right in person, you know, just hey, would you like to go out?
Speaker 3: Would you like to get some coffee? That's like skills take developing, though, and we're not letting our kids develop those social skills. I had chatted up so many girls by the time I started college. Just the idea of oh my god, I can't I can't say hello to orright. It was just foreign to me. It was not like I have some sort of bold master gamesman or anything. It was just so familiar to me. You know, hey, how you doing well? Please? Phones and internet have completely smashed that skill. I think, you know, this is a weird grab, but it popped in my head for some reason. I can't remember why. The other day I was thinking about the old like the first Bob Seger song with the what was the name of his band, Bob Seger and the silver bulibin. No, No, that was before he was a solo artist, when he was a Detroit rocker, but rambling gambling man. The line is ain't good looking, but you know, I ain't shy, ain't afraid to look a girl in the eye.
Speaker 4: And A.
Speaker 3: I've always kind of liked that line because he was a regular guy. But b we've got a couple of generations who are terrified to look a girl in the eye and say, hey, how you doing so that gets right.
Speaker 4: You think if she she found him alluring enough to go through all that work, she should have made her move, right then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's equipped with the tools to do that. Of course, if you're an all attractive young woman, all you have to say is so I see you like cereal. That's good enough. Ice Brenker right there, exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just I have a real issue with her going on a date with him after having done all of this and acting like it didn't go down like that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well yeah, like, oh.
Speaker 5: We just so happened to meet I met your mom at book club, like the whole the start of whatever relationship this might be is going to be bs anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a decent point there. You can't start with a lie and then go from there. Yeah, yeah, this ends with a dead cat, trust me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you.
Speaker 4: If you uh yeah, if you're out with somebody and everything like that, And then she mentions, yeah, I was talking to your mom.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, and you know my mom? Why do you know my mom? This is weird.
Speaker 5: Okay, well let me tell you how this went down. So I saw your credit card at the store.
Speaker 3: I enjoy the book club that your mom is in. You're twenty three year old woman. You're in a book club with a bunch of sixty four year olds. Why I like to read.
Speaker 4: Pretending you want to read the Bridges of Madison County so you can get to meet this old woman.
Speaker 3: That is going too far.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: This is the Armstrong and Getty Show featuring our podcast one more Thing, get it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 4: My son, who's fourteen and graduating from eighth grade this week graduating, So he actually asked, why do they have eighth grade graduation? Well, I don't know the real answer, but where I grew up, I thought it was because a lot of people stopped going to school at eighth grade. There was a good chunk of the class that were a particular religion, the Mennonites. They stopped at eighth grade. So I thought that's why we had eighth grade graduation because they were done. But then found out they have eighth grade graduations other places, So why does eighth grade graduation exist?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: I actually heard a really interesting argument about this once, where the one point of view was, hey, they've finished a level of school. Let's say let's show them, hey, education is important, we're proud of you a good job. Let's reinforce wanting to stay in school and pass everything, which I think is a perfectly reasonable point of view. The opposition was a woman who was saying, they haven't accomplished anything. They're getting the very basics of education. They're kids, They've got several more years of mandatory schooling. They haven't accomplished anything, They've barely gotten started. Quit with the ceremonies. Too many ceremonies. I lean more towards that point of view. But anything that would less than the number of ceremonies I have to go to, I'm in favor of.
Speaker 5: Yes, my mom has a picture of my Is it my kindergarten graduation or my preschool graduation? I don't remember it. I'm wearing a robe. I know she had to buy a robe. Yeah, I wear a little green graduation cap and robe. And they took pictures that she obviously paid for because we have it.
Speaker 3: So I'm thinking you've got money sucked out of that. Oh yeah we did.
Speaker 4: We had to do kindergarten graduation and there was like a certificate and stuff. But I don't think there was no robe involved, but.
Speaker 3: You know, I hate to blame the gals for this, but it reminds me of little seven year old kids in full uniform playing Little League, and they have opening ceremonies and closing ceremonies every season, and the parade of the teams and lots of pictures and the rest of it. Back in the day, you just went and played ball. There's no opening ceremony. What the hell do you have an opening ceremony. First game of the year is on Saturday, Go play it. That was the opening ceremony play ball.
Speaker 4: So my eighth grader has the graduation is actually on Thursday, and you're supposed to wear a tie. So we have to go out and get a tie at some point this week. He's gonna wear my shirt and my pants because we're the same size. Oh, and it's gonna be hot.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: He can't wear my shoes because he has bigger feet than me. But so I have to get him some dress shoes and a tie. And it is gonna be hot. But the night before there's a big dance, the very first dance of his life. Oh boy, And he said the other day, I sure hope there's chairs because I plan to sit.
Speaker 5: It's so funny the difference between guys and gals with this one, Like I was so excited and he wants to share to sit.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I know, I know that that's true. I'm sure the girls are very, very excited. I was gonna talk I haven't talked to him about that. I hint it a I was gonna talk to him specifically about and I haven't completely crafted it into my head yet, and it probably won't do any good anyway, because it's different when you're fourteen than when you're older. And looking back on being fourteen, but man, oh man, oh man, there's so many things that I chickened out of or kind of wish I had done or whatever. You only live once. You only freaking live once. That girl over there, you kind of like, go ask her to dance? Good God, I gotta figure out how I want to present it. Not like that, but I mean, looking at talking to my eighth grade me, I mean, just life is short.
Speaker 3: One go round. Yeah, here's here's what you gotta do. Maybe I'll offer this service. I'll come over with half a dozen middle school young ladies. Have your boy ask each one of them to dance. Each one of them will say thanks, but no, I'm not interested. And by the end of maybe we'll even do two rounds. By the end of it, that kid'll be like, that's fine whatever.
Speaker 4: Oh, they just get used to get it, used to be rejected a couple of times at all.
Speaker 3: Or they might be completely demoralized. But uh no, maybe you have that thirteenth one say yeah, I'd love to. Did you ask somebody to dance, Michael, Yeah, I think I did. I usually got rejected, so it's okay.
Speaker 4: I didn't ask anybody to dance. Somebody asked me to dance for the last slow dance of the night. And I've never been more nervous in my life. I can I still feel the sweat running down my armpits as we were slow dancing. I was so nervous and scared.
Speaker 3: But why wouldn't you?
Speaker 4: I mean, and I kind of wanted to dance, but I was scared at one of being rejected and two of dancing in front of other people. It's just God, when you get older, it just seems like, why would you freaking care? But that's just the perspect of age. You can't you know, you can't inject that into someone.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, and dances are so small in our lives now, it's such a big thing to them, right.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, of course it is.
Speaker 4: And I'm you know, so on one hand, I don't know about his friends, but it's probably true for his friends too.
Speaker 3: On one hand, I hope they have chairs there. I might bring my own camping chair just so I make sure it posessed it. But he has. Uh.
Speaker 4: We got a haircut two weeks ago and he wasn't quite happy with that, so we went and got another haircut, and uh, you know, he's been picking out his clothes. So I mean, you wouldn't get two haircuts and pick out your clothes and all this sort of stuff if you didn't care at all. So you care, but you just don't want to look like you care, because I'm sure none of your friends are looking like they care. As the boys again, as the girls you get you can be as thrilled as you want to be.
Speaker 3: Lots of exclamation points.
Speaker 5: Of your.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I played the records at the dances I did do in middle school. I volunteered for that. I think it's one of the reasons I became a musician. If I'm playing, you can't ask me to dance.
Speaker 4: I'm busy all the high school and says I was the DJ, which kind of got me out of it. I got to be there, but I had a job. Yeah, but uh yeah, so I don't know. I'm gonna try to craft some sort of go for it type speech. See how it lands. I can just think of several examples of like, why why didn't you? Why didn't you do this? Why didn't you do that? There's no downside. The worst case scenario is nothing. The well, actually a worst case scenario is not doing anything and then wishing the rest of your life.
Speaker 3: You would have tried. So yeah, her hair.
Speaker 4: So that said, he bought a fake rolex off of Amazon. He totally cares. He totally cares. He doesn't cool to not care, but yeah, he cares. He bought this fake rolex. It's forty dollars and it's so shockingly great. I mean it's really really good. It's like really heavy and nice and yeah, very cool.
Speaker 3: I think you may be admitting to a federal offense harboring a known importer of rep bove the counterfeit Goods got it off Amazon.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show, Yeah, Borgia Borgoe
Speaker 3: Podcasts, and our hot links and