Speaker 1: My League Books has all the knowledge you want. My League Books has all the knowledge you need.
Speaker 2: Books Yet they have all the books that the whole wild world Wunner reads Malague Books. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Malik's Bookshell, bringing a world together with books, culture and community. Hi, my name is Malik, your host of Malik's Bookshow. This has been an amazing start to twenty twenty four and let me tell you I was blessed on January thirteenth to host a wonderful Hitler. Someone this electric and has sunshine. A doctor in psychology. She lives in New Jersey, but traveled in a groundbreaking loop book to Milak Books to talk about break the Cycle, a guy to healing intertransgenerational trauma.
Speaker 1: This book.
Speaker 3: Was powerful, her speech was powerful, her conversation was powerful, and it was a healing session that took place at Malie Books. I'm gonna share my interview with her.
Speaker 2: For a few minutes that I was able to take with her Doctor Muriel Bouquet. I also want to share some of doctor Muriel's Bouquet conversation with our moderator and Flores, who's an entrepreneur and has her own movement in her right, but she had a wonderful and engaging conversation with doctor Muriell Bouquet.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna feature some of.
Speaker 2: That talk as well, and that's gonna be my segment because this is twenty twenty four and it's about healing and we need to heal from intergenerational trauma. See, because we're passing on from one generation to the next these issues and these problems to continue to plan us now. So if we want to heal from the past, we have to understand the now.
Speaker 3: The present, so that we can change the future.
Speaker 2: And so that's what the conversation was all about, doctor Muriel Bouquet. So I'm gonna let her speak for this groundbreaking new book that just came out, dis available at all bookstores, but you gotta go to miliebooks dot com and purchase a copy from us and support us. We do we still do have a few signing copies, So hey, go to miliebooks dot com pick up Break the Cycle, a Healing God to transgenerational trump Man. Let me say this, what's coming up at Malik Books. We're kicking off Black History Month with comment That's right, the Grammy winner, the Emmy winner, the Oscar Winner.
Speaker 3: Common at Malague Books coming to.
Speaker 2: The Neighborhood February third. Now you got this is a ticket event. You got artists with you for this part of our Black History event because we're taking over the mall. We're doing music, dancing, we're doing book signings, free books. We're giving them well a couple of thousand books to the community. Sponsored by Westfield Cob City Mall. They stepped up. They are partnering with us in the Lahmart Park book festal and we're bringing to Los Angeles our inaugural Black History event and comment is our headline.
Speaker 3: His new book out and then We Rise.
Speaker 2: It's a book about healing both mentally and physically, easy to follow tips and affirmations, things that can change your life because only then can change happen, and.
Speaker 3: Then we can ride.
Speaker 2: Now this is a ticketed event. You gotta go to Melite books dot com and register, which includes the book. We want to blow up this event at Melik Books. We want to take over the mall. We want to make a statement. So you got to go to Melite Books. You got an RSVP for the comed event, This Black History inaugural event at Westfield Coast Whites. The main event is going to take place inside of Elite Books as were common, but everything else is downstairs on the ground level next to Macy's Center Court. Music dancing, Joso to Bozo to clown, book giveaways, la.
Speaker 3: Sparks in the house.
Speaker 2: We got African dancing, we got jazz being played.
Speaker 3: Listen. This is a festival, but we kicking.
Speaker 2: Off third twenty twenty four Black History Month right here at Westfield Covid City Mall. Produced by the Lamart Park Village Book Fair and Melik Books in partnership with the Westfield.
Speaker 3: Covid City Mall.
Speaker 2: Go to emelikbooks dot com for more detail and the register for our kickoff event with award winning Emmy Oscar grab me comment exclusively signing his new book, and then we rise a guide to Loving and taking care of Self. Happy New Year everyone. I have doctor Muriel Bouquet, and you know what she wrote this book called Breaking the Cycle, a God to Healing Chance, inter transgenerational trauma. Well, hey, she can tell you more about this book. But this is the beginning of New Year, and this is my first episode this year on my podcast, Malik's Bookshelf. Bring the world together with books, culture and community.
Speaker 1: How you doing, doctor, I'm doing.
Speaker 4: So good and I love your energy so much.
Speaker 2: Hey, I always say, you know, we're gonna be doing this event today, and I'm so thankful just to kick off the year with you. You know, I hear that your book is a national bestseller and it's breaking barriers, and so I got a chance to have an event with you tonight.
Speaker 3: But before we get started, I.
Speaker 2: Got to handcuffed you an interview for my podcast release Bookshew, So tell me.
Speaker 3: A all about your book.
Speaker 4: Well, at Break the Cycle is literally what it is as a guide, It's a guide's healing into generational trauma. Is to help us to uncover the wounds of the past that have been flowing through generations of our families and communities, and the hurt and the wounds that have gone on unaddressed, that have been in the shadows of our family closets, and the wounds that continue to perpetuate generation after generation. And it's a guide for us to start shedding that and stepping into legacies of abundance.
Speaker 1: Wow wow, wow.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I'm tired of the excuses. I'm tired of the complaining I'm tired of us, you know, not doing we're supposed to be. I think we're responsible to make these changes. And I see you got some solutions. Instead of talking about the trauma and the problem, tell me a little bit about the solutions.
Speaker 4: Well, the solutions have to be mind, body, spirit, culture. So we have to have multi level solutions, because intergenerational trauma is actually the type of emotional wound that hurts us at all of those levels. So in our mind, we have to like work on our emotions and our bodies, we have to work on settling our nervous system. In our spirit, we have to work on reconnecting, grounding, rerooting, and also reconnecting to ourselves. And then in culture, we have to start excavating the wounds that are situated in our cultures and the ways in which our cultures continue to perpetuate traumas into our communities by way of all the things that happen in our society. Our societies can be very traumatizing. There's so many ways in which, you know, systems traumatize us, so many ways in which our cultural norms tend to traumatize us.
Speaker 5: And so the.
Speaker 4: Actual solution has to be at all of those levels.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not on one particular thing. You know, it's not as simple as we think. We have to address all of those elements and that could be challenging. And so what are some of the strategies that you use to break through those shackles.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be really I love this question. This. I got to just say, this is probably one of my favorite questions that I've gotten so far period on the book. And you know, breaking the shackles of the past, I really lean on the wisdom of Living Ancestress and Angela Davis and the ways in which she helps us to understand, like we must liberate our minds as well as liberate society. So in the Liberation of the mind piece, it's going to be really critical for us to actually like ground ourselves by reconnecting with our ancestor roots by actually doing deep breathing, like for real, like really getting into deep breathing and getting ourselves really grounded on a day to day basis, even if it's just five minutes a day of just like doing deep breaths, it can do wonders for bodies that are historical, that are caught up in a historical terror that still lives in us. And when it comes to the liberating of society, it's also about, you know, disseminating the kinds of texts like this one that can be liberatory to our communities, like give people the tools to self liberate, and this is one of those tools.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, wonderful one. We got a big show tonight, Saul. I would love to continue this conversay, but we're about to have a huge event. Is sold out, packed house. They came out to see you. They gonna hear about breaking the cycle. Hey, God, the Healy Interogenerational Trauma by doctor Murio Bouquet.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you so much for having me. This is such an honor, truly, truly.
Speaker 2: Now you know you can get the book at maleikbooks dot co for all you listening right now, but it's sold wherever books are sold. Believe books dot Com for your copy.
Speaker 1: Hi, everybody doing, come on now where the energy out?
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 6: I can't receive the doctor the doctor, but you gotta hear from the people first.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome, welcome, welcome, y'all came.
Speaker 6: To a beautiful black old bookstore, family own coach, really elevated by black people, Latino people, and this is a wonderful place to elevate our can really sit complaining them about what's going on society. We're doing something nobody I can find it literature in books, particularly children books.
Speaker 7: Why because children are one of our future. So I want to thank you all for coming out today, and I'm gonna introduce our moderator, and I'm gonna introduce our main even.
Speaker 8: To murial Oka that everybody came here to see.
Speaker 1: Well, before I do that, you know, I just want to tell you put out the phones. Now.
Speaker 7: You got to follow Malaitue books all right on Instagram ten times?
Speaker 1: All right, Yo, y'all came this far.
Speaker 8: At least you can pull that phone out and follow not just Malite Books, but doctor Murika and Florence. Right.
Speaker 1: So also, I know y'all gonna be taking pictures. Y'all gonna be making this his historic on social media. So you've got to take all of us. Okay, don't forget all three of us. That's how we do it. Each one, teach one, each one elevate, all right, So we got to do that as well. Hey, I gotta tell you about the next event.
Speaker 8: You know, I know we in for this event but y'all got to do about the Black History event that we got coming up.
Speaker 1: Don't worry. Third right here at the Westsfield Cocha City Mall.
Speaker 7: Now it's a twelve to five event, but we have for our Fear event at three thirds.
Speaker 1: Y'all got the RS REP for this. We got the historic Grammy winner coming coming to Maligue folks. All right, then, you know you don't do a lot of ev but he coming to the Belief Books. He coming to the neighborhood, so you got to.
Speaker 7: Show up for that, right, So hey, we're gonna we wanna show him the l a love when coming three.
Speaker 1: Time Grammy winner, an active this is well, and y'all.
Speaker 9: Know he's an artist, an actor, but you know he's a you know, an activist.
Speaker 1: Sold his book and then we rhymes.
Speaker 10: Right, it's brand new and coming out next week. But February third, he's gonna be here at Milieue Books. So y'all gotta sign up for that and tell all your friends. Okay, so that's what's coming next. We got a lot offens, So.
Speaker 11: Y'all gotta sign up for our news letter because they calling us minutely for events because we host some really good events here and so definitely following us and you can see more about it and sign up for our email as you find Doctor Mario book books.
Speaker 12: All right, now, let me introduce to you Moderator to day. But I'm gonna need to pull out the classes.
Speaker 7: You know, that's what happens, you know, when you ain't even right where you know, you start not taking right.
Speaker 1: It's affecting your eyes too, so so I need the classes. But now when I was young man, I can see any way back there that ain't the taste of that.
Speaker 13: So I'm gonna introduce you and Florence a community builder and a soul centric entrepreneur.
Speaker 1: And Florens is living.
Speaker 8: Her passion as the founder of we All Pro Latina eight one Latina own it operated, communed Dripping Media and he fits Epple System, founded in twenty ten with a mission of connecting and fully entrepreneur spirit of Latins.
Speaker 9: Listen, we got to develop entrepreneur spirit all through this country because corporate America is not going able to hire everybody. So you've got to create opportunities for yourself, so give it up.
Speaker 7: She was born in Houston, Texas, raised in outside of her and is now settled in Los Angeles, where she lives with her daughter and lives every day.
Speaker 13: By the now in the famous phrase she coined thirteen years ago, when one pros we all problem and we all give it up for a fluence because that's a wonderful Together.
Speaker 1: We must do what we need to do to make the change. Together. We go right together, get to make change right.
Speaker 14: So y'all give it up and Florida, you know, welcome, Thank you all for being here.
Speaker 12: Now, y'all all came for doctor Muriel, who came the author of Break Disciple, a god to healing into generational trauma all right now.
Speaker 1: Doctor Muriel buka Is is a Columbia University trained.
Speaker 7: Trauma Informed SAE College professor and to Sound Bath healer.
Speaker 15: She has appeared as an expert on Good Money America and Today and of The Lord, So Glamor and welp Us Good, among men other outlets, and has offer her.
Speaker 10: Wellness talks to corporations such as Google, Capital One, and Meta.
Speaker 1: She is originally from Dominican Republic and currently lives in New Jersey.
Speaker 15: And she's here in the neighborhood and belief boss, so let's bring it.
Speaker 14: What a roundable put doctor Millia, Okay.
Speaker 16: We forgot to say one thing though, we're all going to get up and celebrate this one.
Speaker 14: She's a national best sellar.
Speaker 5: And how do we access our intergenerational higher self? That's one of my favorites. Sis.
Speaker 4: You know, the higher self has been like I think, popularized enough that a lot of us understand. Okay, it's a wiser part of you, right, But the intergenerational higher self is not just the wisest aspect of your mind and the wisdom that you carry inherently by just the genius that you are, but also the wisdom and strength that's been passed down generation to generation that has landed upon you.
Speaker 5: And it's wisdom that is tangible wisdom, like things that people.
Speaker 4: Have said, words of affirmation, ways in which you know, family members have said, hey, you know, you may want to kind of watch out for this, right, Like that's wisdom, But there's also inherent wisdom. And there's also, like I explain more in the book, I don't want to get too heavy about it, but there is a biological also like aspect of how we inherit wisdom and strength from ancestors.
Speaker 5: But all of that lives in us. But because we're so busy, because we're so like.
Speaker 4: On autopilot as a global community, we don't have baked into our society ways in which we can actually pause and reflect on the inherent wisdom and and strength that's in us. Like I say in the book, you know, take a moment and pause and think, what was the last thing that you had to overcome?
Speaker 5: What got you through? If you think about that now and you start thinking, like, huh, what did get me through?
Speaker 8: Who was with me?
Speaker 5: Like in in spirit, like who was guiding me?
Speaker 17: Who was just because they showed me love on a day to day basis, I felt their love and their presence allowed me to persevere through this circumstance.
Speaker 4: Those are the things that are there that allow you to then also have the reservoir of wisdom that you're going to need for the journey ahead. But I'm getting I'm getting a little bit sidetracked.
Speaker 5: So it's a generational higher self. It's also it's.
Speaker 4: It's the version of ourselves that is m more inhaling, the version of ourselves that utilizes that wisdom intentionally and and and gathers it and goes to the root of.
Speaker 5: The all of the.
Speaker 4: Beautiful gems that are there in our communities, and like really like sits and meditates on on the things that a lot of us have been like because of colonizations, disconnected from and and that intergenerational higher self leans on that wisdom.
Speaker 5: You lean on the wisdom of your intergenerational higher self on a day to day basis. So how do we acquire.
Speaker 4: Many times, it's just by sitting in silence, It's by journaling, It's by.
Speaker 5: Having conversations, even with you know, people that we love.
Speaker 4: My cousin, they said, the future doctor my suster is here, and she is somebody who's a fellow psycho breaker with me, and I have conversations with her, and I'm like, yo, where did that come from?
Speaker 5: Like I you know, And so that's my intergenerational higher self.
Speaker 4: Like she's dope, you know, Like she's out there like always like guiding me and like helping me to to connect to parts of me that the busy of day to day life.
Speaker 5: Don't allow me to connect you very readily.
Speaker 4: But when I can like connect with people that hold me in love, when I connect with myself, when I connect with silence, when I connect with the universal elements, of life.
Speaker 5: When I sit and I I do this and ask the people that are close to me. I sit and I watch the moment, y'all, like I have Like I was just in.
Speaker 4: Carpenteria, I have like ten pictures of the moon from like two days ago.
Speaker 5: When I sit with those moments, I'm.
Speaker 4: Able to access the wiser parts of me. And I want us to do that more, because that's how we're.
Speaker 5: Supposed to exist.
Speaker 4: We're not supposed to exist in this like ever evolving, like never ending cycle of stimulation. We're supposed to be in a headspace with ourselves and befriend ourselves. And so when we can do that, we can have greater access to that intergenerational wisdom that's there.
Speaker 5: And uh, still, I love Still. I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that still is out in the world, y'all. Have I kept Still in like my back pocket for forever. And my my team kept saying, can we.
Speaker 14: Make this graphic of void still?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, no, it can't go out into the world because I couldn't get I couldn't put it out because there's you know, there's contractual.
Speaker 5: Things that you can't do. But I'm like, it's out.
Speaker 14: People can do still.
Speaker 5: So I'm just really excited that it gets to be in your hands because it's a tool that when I tell you, people respond so well to this tool.
Speaker 4: And I use it all the time, and it's a tool that is also a relationship building. It's supposed to be to calm your nervous system and to really help you gain a steady mind, but I think it's much more than that because it also offers you an opportunity to do.
Speaker 5: That so that you can come back into your relationships.
Speaker 4: With a common goal in mind that can be solution focused and not relationships destroying.
Speaker 5: So STILL is an actual acronym. We love acronyms and psychology, and I don't know why we do this, but STILL.
Speaker 4: Stands for stop temperature inhale lay launch And basically, imagine.
Speaker 5: You're sitting at the family table and all of a sudden somebody says something. They come out their base and.
Speaker 4: Tell me, tell me more. So, obviously you know your nervous system's gonna respond and it's gonna start preparing to protect you.
Speaker 5: And what we do in that moment the best course of action.
Speaker 4: And of course it takes practice, and I always tell people practice when you don't need it, so that when you do need it, you've already.
Speaker 5: Built mastery over the school. But you picture a stop sign. The S is for stop, So you picture a stop sign and you freeze in place.
Speaker 4: Don't do anything else because whatever it's gonna come out your mouth might destroy that relationship, might make things worse.
Speaker 5: You might feed the cycle. So you wanna kind of just pause. The TEA is for temperature. And I know that many of you have.
Speaker 4: Probably been in, you know, down the rabbit hole of like cold water stimulation and then water plunges and all those things. They're actually really effective tools to use in our day to day life.
Speaker 5: Cold water plunges as an extreme version of it, right you're not gonna go from the kitchen from the table, But as an extreme version of it.
Speaker 4: It actually does help us to release endorphins that can actually calm down our nervous system and calm down that threat response and help us feel more at ease.
Speaker 5: And so a version of that that I would do like in therapy, and this will work really great with you. Like my kid clients loved it and it worked really well with them.
Speaker 4: Was we would actually have ice, but not because there was a therapy offcause you would have just a little freezer and like.
Speaker 5: The ice cubes that are like reusable, the ones that are in plastic.
Speaker 4: But you can use ice. You can splash your face with cold water. You can you know, just hold the ice, put it somewhere on your face, like you want the cold stimulation to actually start regenerating, like those endorphins that you're gonna need to just like.
Speaker 5: Really cool off.
Speaker 4: And I always say, like it's kind of a version of like pulling off your emotions, but like a really tangible version of it.
Speaker 5: The eye's been inhale and it.
Speaker 4: You know, deep breathing has been very popularized, and I'm really happy for that.
Speaker 5: But the thing about deep breathing that we're not saying enough is that we need.
Speaker 4: At least five minutes of deep breaths in order for our nervous systems.
Speaker 5: To catch up to the fact that we're trying to help it relax. And so for five minutes take the moment.
Speaker 4: Like that means that you might need to like exit the table for a bit and take those deep breaths, because your nervous system will then.
Speaker 5: Say, Okay, I'm in a better place. I am no longer in that.
Speaker 4: Threat response where I need to lunch at this person. I'm in a place where the steadiness is in. And the added benefit of that is that our our actual like brain region, our cortical region that you know, we in essence like need to be at its mean the neuro's top science and your shadows better. But we do need that area of our brain to actually be in its optimal functioning, to be solution oriented, to be able to be like cognitively flexible and be creative. And if that part of our brain is in essence like in survival mode, we're not gonna have the opportunity to access the genius that's there.
Speaker 5: So deep breathing, the first l is for lay, which is just like go somewhere and just either lay.
Speaker 4: Down or sit down, just exit whatever energy space you're in and just go sit somewhere else and just taking the energy there that's perhaps a little bit more calm and doesn't have that tension in it, and then launches to come back and re engage, come back into the circumstance.
Speaker 5: That you just exit it, but now with a steadier mind, with a.
Speaker 4: Steadier nervous system, and with an ability to be solution focused that can actually forge a connection between yourself and the other person rather.
Speaker 5: Than create a disruption that could, you know, be very detrimental. I'm gonna thank you.
Speaker 18: For leading into your higher self, for the work that you have done to heal, for embodying that, for breaking the cycles, and for sharing your medicine with us. This is a very important book that I really hope that you all take with you, that you all heal with, that you all really make a practice, and that you share as well.
Speaker 5: Because we do live by.
Speaker 14: When one grows, we all grow.
Speaker 5: When one heels, we all heal.
Speaker 18: And this is definitely what I am caring for all of you here, and thank all of you for following your own higher selves.
Speaker 5: To be here today, to making the choice to be here for you.
Speaker 14: So thank you so much.
Speaker 18: Thank you so much, Money Books for having us, and now please thank you the books.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to Maleak's bookshelf with topics on the shelf, our books, culture and community.
Speaker 1: Be sure to subscribe and leave me a review.
Speaker 3: Check out my instagram at Maleak Books.
Speaker 1: See you next time.