Speaker 1: If you enjoy the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, check out our new daily news program, the Bloomberg Daybreak Podcast. It gives you the day's top stories with context in just fifteen minutes. Look for it in your podcast feed by six a m. Eastern every morning. Subscribe on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts, and stay tuned for a sample of today's edition of Bloomberg Daybreak at the very end of this podcast. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Tom Keene, along with Jonathan Farrow and Lisa Abramowitz. Join us each day for insight from the best and economics, geopolitics, finance and investment. Subscribe to Bloomberg Surveillance on demand on Apple, Spotify and anywhere you get your podcasts, and always on Bloomberg dot Com, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the Bloomberg Business App. We continue with Rochester g ten FX strategists at Namura.
Speaker 2: Jordan.
Speaker 1: Let me go and overlay the GDP question on your euro call. Germany is not getting it done right now? How does that change? A euro call from Nomura?
Speaker 3: Well, right now, Tom, we already knew growth would be weak. We've got that from the PMISER surveys. So I'm not really convinced that the GDP is the way to look at euro right here, right now in the short term. What's more important is what they did to those inflation forecast times. So there's been a bit of a revision down in the front tend for headline, but for core inflation. What's been surprising from this release is that we've got on average now five point one from the ECB for core inflation this year, up from four point six in their forecast previously. I said earlier that it was too low, it was going to be revised up, but I was discussing it with Andre and our economics team. We thought the east B might not pencil in a five handle for their core inflation just because that's a number that will make them very uncomfortable for the average of this year.
Speaker 4: Five percent.
Speaker 5: This is none of this.
Speaker 3: None of these forecasts for inflation have it going back towards two percent and actually going below two percent in the horizon. The twenty twenty five inflation forecast revised up just very slightly. But all of this says the ECB is being hawkish. We'll find out in the pressor how Madame Cguarde will express it. But we've seen the pricing Tom for the ECB for the next meeting jump already to twenty five basis points. The market was actually doubting a little bit if that would happen, and now we're actually now toying with the market thinking maybe this carries on, maybe this goes to September, and Tom the market is very happy pricing many twenty five basis point rate hikes for the Bank of England, and I suggest that maybe that's the case. We need to consider it for the ECB just quickly.
Speaker 6: Does this make a four percent ECB rate much more likely? And actually the base case in your view, it's.
Speaker 3: Not the base case, but look, it makes it possible. And the reason why is because we're seeing all this animal spirits inequities picked back up, boosting risk sentiment, boosting the sort of inflation pressures that we could see this summer, and as I mentioned earlier, natural gas going up. That should really worry the ECB. If it's like last year August. Last year we had energy prices at the highs. It's just June. Now, if we get two more months of gas storage demand pushing up inflation again of natural gas. It upsets the apple cart of the big disinflation. All my charts say the Euro Area inflation's going to really slow down, but that will change if natural gas keeps moving the way it is. So if it carries on, Lisa, it's potentially possible.
Speaker 1: Jordan Rochester, thank you for the effort today with no murder there. Ja Bryson rides heard over a terrific economic team at Wells Fargo. They have a fabulous heritage of measuring this nation from C to Shining Sea, and right now I'd like you to go over the other C. J Bryson too, Maybe summarize here what Wells Fargo sees in manufacturing in America versus a clear slow down in manufacturing in Germany. What is a state of the economy of manufacturing in America as we look at this data this morning?
Speaker 2: So Tom, I guess i'd roughly say that when I think about the manufacturing sector here in the States right now, I would say it's flat ish, you know, it's you know, if you look at the hard data of manufacturing production over the last year or so, it has been kind of flat, and you know, I think what's going on There is two things. There's a slowdown in the rest of the world, so we're not exporting as much. And then secondly, as there has been as you you know, well know, there's been this rotation over the last year away from spending on goods towards services. Goods obviously are manufactured, and so manufacturing is you know again it's not really contracting, but it's not growing. It's you know, as I said earlier, I think it's kind of flatish right now.
Speaker 6: Which is the best leading indicator of all of the data that we just got. Is it the retail sales coming in hotter than expected, or is it unemployment rising perhaps at a faster pace at least jobless claims than many people expected.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I would say they're both kind of coincidence sort of indicator. Certainly, that's what we think about the labor market as being very very coincident. It gives us an idea where we are right now, you know, in terms of the retail sales sorts of numbers, you know, there's a little choppy in there right now. But I would say what I would say is what it's showing us is the consumer continues to spend at a modest pace. As long as that continues to happen, then the consumer sector isn't going to completely fall apart either. And so I think where we are right now in terms of the economy is if you look at the first quarter, we grew roughly one percent at an annualized rate. I think that's kind of where we are right now in the second quarter as well, somewhere, you know, plus or minus five tens a percentage point off of one percent right.
Speaker 6: Now if nothing really changes, no sort of big shocks to the system, and we get data like this for the next I guess four weeks, do you expect to fed we'll have to raise by another twenty five basis points. That yesterday's meeting was not the end of the rate hiking cycle.
Speaker 2: You know, I think that's that's right, Lisa, and I kind of think of it as yesterday was a little bit of a compromise between the you know, the doves on the committee who kind of want to pause right here, and the hawks who kind of want to keep on pressing ahead. And I think it was easy for them, the consensus, I think was easy for yesterday to call us around Okay, we'll keep rates on hold, but we'll send a signal of a hawkish pause if you will. A month from now. If we don't see any major changes to the economy, then I think it's easier to call us around. Okay, let's pump a up another twenty five basis points. But obviously we've got a lot of data between now and then, particularly the labor market report. We get another CPI, you know, sort of a report, so you know, if we come in a status quo where we are right now, then I think they go twenty five. I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Suggest doctor Bryson that none of this is in Chapel economics, Chepel Hill economic textbooks. I mean, it's absolutely original. Where we are. How much are we beholden to American exceptionalism right now? Europe has so many struggles, is seen with a subpar one percent GDP view forward, and we're different, We're doing better. Does Wells Fargo suggest there is an American difference, an American exceptionalism?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Tom, I don't know if I would. So if you step back and you look at the broad sort of stuff, I mean, what we are with the United States is continues to be the technological leader in the world. Right this is where AI is being developed, et cetera, et cetera. I think that will probably continue. But I also think that you know, right now where we are in terms of the cycle. You know, Europe has been hit with a number of shocks that the United States hasn't, you know, particularly the war in Ukraine and the and the spike it the spike in natural gas prices that everybody was talking about just before we came on air here. And so there's there's been a lot more shocks hitting Europe than there has been the United States. So is the United States exceptional from a very very long earned standpoint, yes, But from a cyclical standpoint, I can come up with reasons why, you know, Europe is different. Right now, What did you.
Speaker 1: Think yesterday when we had esteemed people like you on who said they just should have raised race and stopped with all this mumbo jumbo, skip pause, all this other stuff. Jay Bryson, would green Span or burns of raised rates?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think so. I mean green Span was you know, at the end of the day, he was very very cautious as well. You know, you look at his last tightening cycle starting in twenty twenty, two thousand and four. It's twenty five basis points, you know, constant sort of thing. You know, So did they do the right thing yesterday? Obviously? You know people can can disagree on that, but we all know that monetary policy works with long lags. You are seeing signs that the economy is growing at a sub trend pace right now. I mentioned one percent before. Most people believe that's going to be subtrend, and if it continues to grow at subtrend, that will probably that will bring the inflation rate down over time. You know, you really don't want to put the economy into recession right now, if you if you don't, so it's a little bit of hard communication strategy right now on their part. They're walking a very very fine line. But you know, I think at the end of the day a pause was probably the right thing to do.
Speaker 6: We're about three and a half minutes away from Christineleaguard taking the helmet explaining a pretty hawkish proclamation and rate hike that we just got from the ECB right now, the euro versus the Japanese yen. It was extending the gains up one point one percent to the highest level, the strongest going back to going back to two thousand and eight, as you see that differential and rate policies really start to bleed into the currency, the agony back a.
Speaker 1: Zillion years and really not comparable. And I defer to Jordan Rochester, Steve England or others, but it's a one sixty maybe a one sixty three. We're distant from OMG, the worst ever. But I think scope and scale back to two thousand and eight really signals how removed Japan is from the other three.
Speaker 6: Banks, Jay, As we set up for Christine Leguard to give some explanations, some meat behind the statement, what are you expecting to hear? What was the biggest shocker to you at a time when this ECP is forecasting out a three percent core inflation figure next year in a five point one percent inflation this year.
Speaker 2: You know, I think she's going to be very very hawkish as well. I think you know, she's speaking for the entire governing council. We all know that there's a lot of hawks on that on the Governing Council, and I think you know what they want to send as a signal of uh, we need to be hawkish here. You know, their mandate is two percent. We're far away from two percent inflation right now, so I would think she's going to reinforce a very very hawkish sort of view. And if bond yields back up even more on that, I don't think there that's not a bad thing for them.
Speaker 1: Is your press conference operating doctor Bryson within eurosclerosis.
Speaker 2: To find that term time, I'm not sure I get to just.
Speaker 1: The sluggish and as you mentioned, the technological superiority of America they're going after Google again was in the news today. Is there just that weight to the European model that was definitive twenty years ago?
Speaker 2: You know, they always lag us somewhat in terms of you know, productivity, growth and vibrancy of the of the economy, and I don't think that's going to I don't think that's going to to change anytime soon. Again, you know, when you look at all the AI breakthroughs that are happening here in the United States and they're not happening in Europe.
Speaker 1: Jay Breston, thank you so much for the brief Here is with Wells Fargo, They've been hugely helpful to us. Here on the economic facts and forth, Amy was Silverman joins us, Now, how to derout a strategy in RBC capital markets? Amy, It's real simple. You say, we've got upside here and we may not get the traditional equity market rotation. This is important to Global Wall Street. Why will we not rotate?
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is the question, you know, we've been asking the last few weeks. And I thought, yesterday's knee jerk reactions, Tom, we're just really telling So you know, look for the last few weeks, the options market's been chasing upside an IWM, and then you get a little bit of a hawkish tone from the Fed and from Palin.
Speaker 4: What happens?
Speaker 7: You have IWM sell off yesterday, you have Ques rally, you have nvideo rally, And I think that just tells you, you know, how the market is thinking about these different sectors. The one question we've been asking ourselves is, you know, if the data continues to come in more economically strong, is it possible essentially to have a narrative where it's not really about value versus growth or small versus large gap. It's simply tech becomes your rallying point because of a secular story. Perhaps and then IWM becomes more of an IWM story on the more defensive and you know that side, but both can rally at the same time.
Speaker 6: Just it's a developed some of what you were talking about. This idea that big tech has become defensive has become the secular growth story, and really perhaps the fear of recession is playing out in the small caps in a new way and even in some of the non tech names, which really highlights a diversification that is very different than it was six months ago.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly. And one thing I'll say is what has been interesting, especially given yesterday, is we saw IWM sell off sort of in that reaction to the hawkage tone from Powell, but we didn't see any change in the option sentiment. So going into yesterday, Lisa, the option sentiment in IWM was quite full, as you saw almost a skew in version or that call demand is outweighing the poot demand. And that's been true for the last few weeks when people think, you know, that small cap is going to kind of burst out. But that didn't change yesterday, even though we did see continued optimism in the large caps as well. So that's why I've been saying, you know, is it possible the narrative no longer becomes this rotation from small to large or from growth to value, et cetera. It's just simply they can go along two different tracks and two different narratives.
Speaker 6: So basically, are you saying that people who are talking about bad breath getting into some sort of broadening out not happening, and it's not going to happen even if you continue to get a rally in the equity indexes.
Speaker 7: Yeah you said bad breath, not me this time, But yeah, I think that is possible. And the one major implication that has for volatility is one reason we've been counting on that breadth of widen is because it's going to change your correlation function, which obviously feeds into your index volatility. But if we don't get that happening, if you continue to have people who've missed out on megacap tech having to realloitate into it even as that small cap story is playing out, I don't think you get much of a change in correlation, which ultimately, you know, dampens volatility on an index level. So it's possible, you know, you have all these events ahead, but there's that suppression of voltility because that correlation component of volatility continues to not move because of the breadth.
Speaker 1: I mean, if we believe in a bull market and we've had a first leg from October, I've been calling it the income for ardentity bull market after two people that were way out front and identifying it. If that's the first leg, how do you use the cross moments? How do you use derivative mathematics to assist in identifying the second leg of a bull market?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I'll give you one Bloomberg function that I like to look at a lot, which is BCA, which gives you the volatility landscape across you know, any constituents like the S and P five hundred and when you organize that tom By Skew level. So again that component of call demand versus put demand, you start to see where the really really bullish parts of the market are. So if you look at that right now, among your top ten names, you know, probably not shocking to you is going to be It's going to be in a video, It's going to be Tesla. And it really tells you not only where the market is out front the most on, but where it's beginning to start to see changes and sentiment, and you are starting to see some of the more IWM type names go in there into those sectors rather than it just being megacat tech.
Speaker 1: Are the big names out there, whether it's a big name Procter and Gamble, the big name Walmart, Intel is a dog of the moment or as you mentioned AMD, are they under owned by institutions in the traditional sense, not hedge funds, but along only byside.
Speaker 2: Are they under owned in what's.
Speaker 4: Worked they are?
Speaker 7: And that's part of the problem. There's sort of two interesting things. The first is that portion of the asset management community you've been talking about has been under allegated, and the issue is that begets this positive momentum situation where we've talked about in options, where you get that exacerbation of gamma. So essentially buying of calls can lead to more buying stock, which can lead to more buying of calls. This is what you saw during the meme prase. And the other thing is historically that segment of the market has that problem with owning things in such a narrow concentration. So if the breadth of the market starts to expand, that ultimately helps them in participating in the rally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the headline there, folks, if you're keeping score at home, is Amy wu Silverman says, Apple is a meme stock.
Speaker 2: That's what we're going to do. We're going to go there.
Speaker 1: If I get gamma is an acceleration, you know within the derivative jargon, Are we gamma? Are we gammaing our way to melt up?
Speaker 4: So you know we already have.
Speaker 7: That's already been happening, and I think that can continue. So when you look kind of to the weak right post Navidia's earnings, that's what you saw. You saw those skew in versions, you know, on that VCA function, and then you continue to see that now that actually hasn't changed all that much. Even though you know some people are asking it that AI rally is tired, you don't yet see that. In the options, you continue to see that call and bounce pretty heavily, and then each day that goes by, we actually start to see it in different parts of the market, not just megacaptech. And that's why I think it's very telling in terms of the sentiment and options. Those wins have really changed over the last month.
Speaker 1: And it was silver in terrific opening Briefforce today with RBC Capital Market. Patrick Tumey is one of our more interesting senators. A former senator. He is of Pennsylvania. It's his fault the Phillies lost, and he excided after that and he joins us today. He's on the board of Apollo now, among other good duties here in his former career. What's the biggest difference of moving from the August Senate of Washington into the private space.
Speaker 8: Well, there are a lot. Having control of your own schedule is one of them. The Majority leader gets to decide when votes will occur, and you have to be on the floor in person to cast a vote. When you're out of the Senate, you have a lot more saying it just a human and.
Speaker 1: We're huge difference in the House right now where there's one or two people away and that changes it for Speaker McCarthy.
Speaker 8: And that can happen in the Senate.
Speaker 6: Also, Yeah, how much do you kind of feel like you wouldn't necessarily run if the dynamics were the same now as they were when you started in politics.
Speaker 8: Honestly, for me, I was in federal office for eighteen years, twelve consecutive years in the Senate, and prior to that a gap, and then six years in the House.
Speaker 4: For me, that was enough.
Speaker 2: I was ready to move on.
Speaker 8: I have no regrets, and I really enjoyed and appreciated the chance to pursue the policies that I believed in. But I don't like the idea of being there forever for anybody, myself included.
Speaker 1: You're cut from a different cloth. I mean, there's Morgan Grenfell and then you're in Rookies restaurant in you know, Lehigh.
Speaker 2: Valley and all that. But what you're really.
Speaker 1: Acclaimed for is standing up to the former president saying the behavior is not appropriate. We have seen an absolutely historic moment for the nation that will continue right coming weeks.
Speaker 2: In months.
Speaker 1: What is the best practice right now of centrist Republicans is they address this indictment in Miami.
Speaker 8: Well, so I'm a conservative Republican and my conservatism sort of requires me to call out the completely unacceptable and egregious behavior of the former president as it manifests itself periodically.
Speaker 4: Look, I think Republicans should call it for what it is.
Speaker 8: This is a completely unforced, unnecessary, outrageous abuse of the responsibility that the American people gave this president. He knew those documents didn't belong to him. But it wasn't just a sloppiness. It wasn't just a matter of Okay, a few papers got mixed in with some of my momentos. It was lying about it, It was hiding it. It was suggesting to a lawyers that they make it disappear. It was discussing it in front of of reporters. Someone writing a book and recording this, and apparently, if we can believe the allegations, which I think they're there for a reason, it included very sensitive military secrets of the United States of America. So, as is often the case, Donald Trump is his own worst enemy. He makes a foolish mistake and then compounds it massively, and look, this is indefensible behavior.
Speaker 1: I went back and looked at a September effort by Philip Bump in the Washington Post working off Pew research, and I was thunderstruck at the accountable research of how small mega is. It's not that great a part of the American pie. How does the broader sense of Republicans in independence not defend themselves but just react, adjust and move forward. If Mega is really not all that big boy, their megaphone's large.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: But the unfortunate reality, in my mind is the president still the former president still does have a large level of support. And that's complicated, right. It's part of it is historical, part of it is a sense of the grievances that he fans. Part of it is the perception that he's being unfairly treated and so even if he did something wrong, it's not a fair treatment. So it's complicated. Here's my theory is the cumulative weight of all of the drama, all of the unnecessary misery, all of the lawsuits, the allegations, all of this is going to cause increasing numbers of Republicans, even if they've been sympathetic to Donald Trump, to say, Okay, maybe he did a good job as president. We got to move on.
Speaker 6: One of the rare things about you is that you can really dovetail from Washington to Wall Street. And that's sort of been your background, going back and forth. And we're talking about the politics of the moment at a time when FED policy is going to dictate a lot on Wall Street for the next couple of years.
Speaker 4: How can start are you growing giving.
Speaker 6: The politication politicization of the inflation debate. How concerned are you that this FED is not really convicted enough to go through with their mandate and get inflation back down to where it should be.
Speaker 8: So I lean in the other direction. I think this FED is very, very concerned about their legacy, their reputation. They know that they got this badly wrong. They kept rates way too low, monetary policy way too easy for way too long. They established a flawed paradigm for determining when they would change.
Speaker 4: They got behind the curve.
Speaker 8: I think the risk is that they overdo it, and partly for the same reason that they went too far. In my conversations with FED governors and senior staff, I was always surprised at how dismissive so many of them are about money supply, how dismissive they are about what Milton Friedman taught us, and how focused they are on things like inflation expectations rather than the forty percent growth than M two that they were responsible for in eighteen months. So they might miss the collapse of the growth in M two, for instance, and misdiagnose what's going on. In my view, I think there's a great risk they.
Speaker 4: Go too far.
Speaker 6: Are you agreeing with Elizabeth Warren?
Speaker 8: I don't think so, because I think Elizabeth Warren was opposed to any kind of normalizing of interest rates. I think maybe a mischaracterization, but I think that's true. We now have positive real interest rates. I would argue, you know, certainly, if you're looking on a month to month basis, we have had money supply growth go to zero. We have the Fed shrinking its balance sheet. We have the Treasury's going to go out and absorb what a trillion dollar's worth of cash from the economy. So you put all that together and you look at how inflation is obviously rolled over, and I think we're probably on the right trajectory.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 8: I'm not in the camp of easing by any means. I think the pause is probably the right thing to do. But you look at the dot plot and it looks as though they're going higher from here, So maybe that's the right call. I'm just I think the era is more likely to occur on excessive tightening.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg surveillance of a great affection for politicians who come from a different territory than just pure politics as well. I was talking to our Greg Gerro and he looks at the mess which is known as the coming presidential campaign. Yeah, and I would just suggest sir that you consider here in your private moments, private citizen moments, that we need a Locell Academy ticket.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I think Governor Romando and Pat Toomy could get together and bring Rhode Island to the nation. What's in the pixie dust at Lacel Academy, robins Rhode Island. That gives us the Commerce Secretary and the former Senator.
Speaker 8: I think our Commerce Secretary is a very capable, very capable person, one of the more impressive members of the entire administration. But our worldviews still differ considerably. And a great experience at Lasal Academy. It's a great school. But miche and I won't be teaming up anytime soon.
Speaker 2: What's the world?
Speaker 4: What's the worldview?
Speaker 1: You see at the debates of the Republican Party. I believe they start in August.
Speaker 2: What is that going to be?
Speaker 8: There's some very big ones, right, and this is really important. There's what is our role in the world. I mean, you have a wing of the party that thinks we shouldn't even be helping Ukrainians. I think that's crazy, but there's people who are advocating that you have a wing of the party that wants to completely explicitly reject market capitalism and have central planning of industrial policy.
Speaker 2: We're have to leave it there.
Speaker 1: After your Apollo Board meeting, please come back and continue, and we do want to talk to you about China. I think that's really fun center as well.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 10: He is with A.
Speaker 1: Paul Patrick Toomey is a former Senator of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to mince words.
Speaker 1: Leland Miller is an outlier with this granular analysis of China. Leland, you aggressively push against the China economic gloom. What are the gloomsters getting wrong?
Speaker 11: Well, I think there's reason to be gloomy, but I think everything has to be relative at this point. So these are these are probably some of the most difficult economic numbers that we've ever had to unravel, you know, in over a decade. If you look at what we do know, we do know that the early expectations that there would be you know, a rallier in the year those were those were wrong. If you look at what's happening with Q two, the idea that there's going to be a boom in Q two. Those certainly look wrong too, So the question is is there a recovery or of things falling apart. Well, if you look at this sequentially, you have been seeing some improvement month a month. You know, sis sheen improved five straight months, China basebook data improved three straight months. If you look if you go into the industrial production data, it looks like there's sequential improvements. The retail sales numbers are really hard to decipher because they say to me, moving these around from year to year. But you do seem to be seeing some elements of improvement. You're just not seeing the recovery everybody's expecting, which has made everybody very pessimistic. So it's really about framing what the expectations were, what they are for the rest of the quarter, and then going based on that.
Speaker 6: The PBOC responded after getting these disappointing retail sales figures over the past twelve hours. They cut this rate on the one year loan aspect of their portfolio by ten basis points. And that's not necessarily a significant move. This follows another very small move earlier in the week. What does this signal about what they are prepared to do in terms of stimulus.
Speaker 11: I don't think it signals that much. I think in and of itself, it's a signal that they understand the data and not where they need to be or not where people expected them to be.
Speaker 4: But here's the problem.
Speaker 11: People, every time they see week data, they expect stimulus, big stimulus, some other stimulus is coming down the road to save them. You know, this is like a time machine. You go back to twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two. Now it's twenty twenty three. We're in having the same type of conversation we've had for years. The Chinese data overall getting weaker. Expectations for stimulus to stay the same. Look, they are unlikely to do any type of big stimulus. They're cutting baby rates, They're not going to have much of an effect because this is a demand question. The big question is do they dive back down into the old school, Let's build a bunch of bridges, let's build a bunch of towns infrastructure investment.
Speaker 4: I think that's still very unlikely.
Speaker 11: Nothing that we're seeing in China suggests that they want to go back on that model that they have different priorities right now. So I think that these signals are sending some centiment boost to market markets because the data are relatively weak, But I don't think that they foretel a big movement towards bigger stimulus Leland.
Speaker 6: They're sort of a conflicted picture here that on one hand, you don't think the data is as dire or some of the expectations are as dire as people expected to be in terms of the deceleration of the Chinese economy. On the other you don't expect stimulus to come and save the day and propel growth substantially above five percent. What is the new growth Paara time? How much will China's GDP expand this year and then going forward than your normal Well, look, our.
Speaker 11: June data, which we get in two weeks are probably I'm anticipating these these are to be the most interesting data we've seen in over a decade because June, whether the second quarter growth can be saved, whether they're gettingwhere near the five percent number. Keep in mind, they're coming off an extremely poor base in twenty twenty two, so hitting some of these numbers for the second quarter, for instance, are not as hard as people think, but again, what's the big lesson here. The lesson is they are just not prioritizing hitting the levels of growth that people on Wall Street are telling They're telling us that they're going to hit. You know, they are trying to you know, they're trying to move forward, restrain themselves from from bigger stimulus, or they're reprioritizing the economy in terms of you know, national security, different different party set.
Speaker 1: Leila Mello, Jonathan Spence one oh one is went in doubt as a totalitarian regime employ the masses. I'm looking in February and I'm sure you've read this in Chinese Measures for the Administration of National Work Relief. Does all this come down to the primal scream that the totalitarian elites in Beijing have to employ millions of unemployed, millions of low wage this immense labor pressure that's been there for fifty years.
Speaker 11: Well, labor pressure is at the center of this, because you know, the talk for years now has been that China needs to restructure the society from investment and investment driven to consumption driven, you know, to from all type of the economic model to a new type of economic model. You know, that's a restructuring of jobs along the way, and so you need to make sure you keep people employed. So this is an issue you have. You have some some some you know, issues of the labor market that will be helpful over the years with falling market, you know, working population, et cetera. You're going it's gonna be easier to do. But this is still a grand transition for them. So they've got enormous, enormous challenges going forward trying to to make growth work.
Speaker 1: I mean, they got the challenges there that were there ten years ago, twenty years ago. I personally observed them in Shanghai, and I found it extraordinary to see basically served them in modern pseudo capitalism, if you will. What's the Leland Miller unemployment rate from Chengdu to Beijing.
Speaker 11: Oh wow, you know a lot of this is the methodology how to use it. I mean, people look at this youth unemployment rate, which is awful, bad news, and it's scary. It's done very differently than the way it's done in the United States. For instance, you mean you're unemployed, if you're uneployed, you're unemployed. You're not different waiting times and other things. For being categorized. It does show there's a problem. I don't think it's the key problem that they're looking at. I think what they need to do is reinstill some level of confidence, not through stimulus, but through organic policies, and they need to They needed to boost demand because right now there needs to be a domestic demand story that's able to spur this recovery.
Speaker 4: So they're in a.
Speaker 11: Weird position where they're not getting the organic recovery so far that they were expecting, but they're also a lot less likely to be going down the stimulus route, at least compared to what most people around the globe think.
Speaker 4: So they're in a position where the pressure is on.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, we see that Tony Blinken, Secretary of State, is heading over to Beijing to get a sense of whether they can really ease some of the tensions that have been escalating ratcheting up between the US and China. What are you looking for in terms of understanding the points of leverage and what China wants in terms of international participation from these meetings.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure they want much.
Speaker 11: I mean, one of the sources of leverage for the Chinese right now is the fact that they don't want to interact with their American.
Speaker 4: Opposites. They don't want to answer military hotlines.
Speaker 11: They want to say, look, if you're going to be rough on us from an international relations standpoint, then we're going to ignore you.
Speaker 4: And that raises the risks.
Speaker 11: For everybody that there could be some sort of misunderstanding or confrontation. I think that works for China's favor in their minds at least, so I don't think they want.
Speaker 4: Much of it.
Speaker 11: Better communications, more communications is a good thing, but I don't think that this is going to solve anything.
Speaker 1: I look, Leland, you know, just just one final quick question here on the solidity of the federal administration in Beijing. I mean, everybody makes a deal, you know, Premier president for life, whatever she is. But how stable are they? What support do they have from the city's mayors and from the regional organization of the Communist Party.
Speaker 11: Well, China, China is a black box. I mean that's that's that's still true. But there's nothing that we're seeing that suggests that the Chinese Communist Party, despite all these structural headwinds, despite weak economic growth, despite a challenging international environment, doesn't have the support of the people, that there's any type of pushback against Hijinping.
Speaker 4: We're just not seeing that.
Speaker 11: So obviously, underneath the system there's no pressure valve, like there isn't a democracy, you know, to throw the bums out. And but look, you know, it's hard to see any type of specific political stress in the system, although there's certainly lots of economic stress.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the brief.
Speaker 2: He is with China Babek.
Speaker 1: Subscribe to the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live every weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can watch us live on Bloomberg Television and always on the Bloomberg Terminal.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: I'm Tom Keen, and this is Bloomberg. Thanks for listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Now, stay tuned for today's edition of Bloomberg Daybreak. It's your daily news podcast, delivering today's top stories to your podcast feed by six am Eastern. It's all the news you need in just fifteen minutes. The Bloomberg Daybreak podcast. It starts right now.
Speaker 12: From the Bloomberg Interactive Broker Studios. This is Bloomberg day Break for Thursday, June fifteenth.
Speaker 13: Coming up today, the Fed pauses for the first time in fifteen months, but signals more rate hikes ahead.
Speaker 12: Now it's the ECB's turn, with a policy decision coming this morning.
Speaker 13: A busy week of economic data continues. US retail sales are two out, and.
Speaker 12: Former President Trump holds onto GOP support in the wake of his indictments.
Speaker 10: The retired marine charge with putting a Manhattan subway writer and a fatal choke hold has been indicted. Plus Texas has sent a busload of migrants to Los Angeles.
Speaker 14: I'm Michael barn Ahead, I'm John Stansh.
Speaker 15: Edward's Wards the Mets with a walk off win over the Yankees, the US Open golfed He's off today in Los Angeles.
Speaker 16: That's all straight Ahead on Bloomberg day Break, the business news you need to starn your day in just one fifteen minute podcast each morning on Apples, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business Appen everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 12: Good morning, I'mthan Hager and I'm Amy Morris. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 13: Investors are still digesting yesterday's message from the Federal Reserve. The Central Bank did pause rate hikes after fifteen months of tightening, but the move is being viewed as a hawkish hold. Fed schhair Jaypal says he expects more hikes will be needed.
Speaker 5: Today, we decided to leave our policy interest rate unchanged. Nearly all committee participants expect that it will be appropriate to raise interest rates somewhat further by the end of the year.
Speaker 13: And jay Palell declined to say whether another hike could come as soon as July, but he did emphasize it will be a live meeting next month.
Speaker 12: Pell faced the challenging task of explaining two contradictory policies, deciding to leave rates unchanged while also indicating two more increases this year. Apollo Management chief economist Torsten slog says Powell did a good job walking that fine line.
Speaker 17: They succeeded in what we expected namy delivering a.
Speaker 8: Hawkish skip, because they did signal very stronger than more rate hikes are coming.
Speaker 12: Lock at Apollo says traders are now betting on two more quarter point increases this year. We also get the view from Diane Swank, chief economist at KPMG.
Speaker 17: This is a FED that is committed to additional rate hikes. The tricky part of this pause or skip was messaging it, and this was a very effective way to message. We're going to assess what titaning is out there and how much additional titaning is needed.
Speaker 12: KPMG chief economist Diane Swank also expects the Fed to raise rates in July and September.
Speaker 13: Well, the Fed appears to have laid out a plan. I mean, now we wait to see what the data say in the coming month. Today we get the latest reading on retail sales. Economists forecast a drop of two tenths of one percent in May, and Bloomberg's Vinnie del Judice has more.
Speaker 18: The prior report showed April retail sales recovered from back to back declines. Even so, Bloomberg economics, as Americans are becoming more discerning with their money. Higher interest rates are taking a bite out of household finances. Inflation remains an issue too, and then to sign us businesses or racing for weaker demand, cardboard bakshipments are falling. Also on today's agenda, May industrial production economists anticipate moderation.
Speaker 4: Vinnie del Judeis Bloomberg day Break.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Vinnie.
Speaker 12: It's also a busy day for economic news overseas. The European Central Bank makes an interest rate policy decision this morning. Let's go to London and get details from Bloomberg's U and Parts.
Speaker 4: Good Morning New and good.
Speaker 19: Morning Amy and Nathan. The ECB looks set to deliver what could be its penultimate rate hike later today. Economists overwhelmingly expect the deposit rates shared by the twenty nations which use the single currency to be lifted by twenty five basis points to three point five percent. The focus for investors will be on the ECB's guidance as to how much further they have to go in their fights against an inflation rate still three times the bank's targets. In London, I'm un in Parts, Boomberg day Break.
Speaker 1: Thanks Youan.
Speaker 13: In Asia overnight, China's Central Bank was making moves ramping up monetary stimulus to help spur the economy, and Bloomberg Daybreak Asia anchor Brian Curtis has more from Hong Kong.
Speaker 20: The action comes on new signs of weakness in May. The PBOC cut the interest rate on its one year policy loans by ten basis points to two point sixty five percent. That's likely to prompt the banks to lower their rates as well. On data, industrial output rose three point five percent from a year earlier, matching estimates, but down from five point six percent. Retail sales gained twelve point seven percent, but that missed an estimate as well, and fixed asset investments slowing to four percent in the first five months of the year also weaker than forecast. In Hong Kong Brain Curtis Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 12: Relations between China and US are also in focus. Secretary of State Anthony B. Lincoln departs for China tomorrow as plans call for a two day trip aimed at stabilizing ties between the two countries. Lincoln's last attempt to visit China was derailed by that alleged Chinese spy balloon.
Speaker 13: Back here in the US, amy presidential politics remaining focus. Former President Donald Trump's legal troubles are dominating headlines, but they don't seem to be derailing his support among Republicans. Bloomberg Zed Baxter has a look at the latest numbers.
Speaker 14: The Quinnipiac University poll says bottom line, he is still the strong front runner for the nomination. The survey, conducted mostly after the latest indictment, shows support from fifty three percent of Republican and GOP leaning voters Ron DeSantis with twenty five percent. Now it should be noted that the fifty three is down from fifty six percent last month. Fundraising well, his campaign says since the indictment, the tills have been fed six point six million dollars. In San Francisco. I'm at Baxter Bloomberg Daybreak, Thank you ed.
Speaker 12: As former President Trump continues his campaign, he's accusing the Special Counsel of a double standard. Trump points to others accused of keeping classified documents who haven't been prosecuted, like President Biden and Hillary Clinton, but former resistant Special Watergate prosecutor Nick Ackerman says there's really no comparison.
Speaker 21: I mean, the people who are making these arguments, they got to be questioned about the specific paragraphs in this indictment and ask them if they're fine with somebody doing that fine telling their lawyer to move boxes to hide documents, if they're fine with telling their lawyer to destroy documents.
Speaker 12: Former Assistant US Attorney Nick Ackerman spoke with Joe Matthew on Bloomberg's Sound Catch That show weekdays at one pm Eastern on Bloomberg Radio or listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 13: Time now to look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world with Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 2: Good Morning, Michael, Good Morning.
Speaker 10: Nathan. A man charge with a manslaughter for putting an agitated New York City subway writer in a fatal chokehold, has been indicted by a grand jury. Daniel Penny was charged by Manhattan prosecutors last month in the May first death of Jordan Neely, who struggled in recent years with homelessness and mental illness. Penny earlier this week talked about the incident in a video released by his attorneys.
Speaker 5: The three main threats that he repeated over and over I'm going to kill you, I'm prepared to go to jail for life, and I'm willing to die.
Speaker 10: New York City trial attorney Brian Buckmeyer spoke to ABC.
Speaker 22: It's the idea of being safe in the subway, the ideas of mental health, and potentially substance abuse in the subway, and how these two ideas and these these themes kind of intersect and asking the question where is the line.
Speaker 10: Penny faces up to fifteen years in prison if convicted. And there's another incident of a subway writer facing charges after the death of another man said to be harassing other passengers. Twenty year old Jordan Williams is facing manslaughter charges and the fatal stabbing on board of Brooklyn bound Jay train Tuesday night. The NYPD says a fight began aboard the train in Manhattan. Police are reviewing cell phone videos of a thirty six year old man who was allegedly harassing subway riders as the train traveled to Brooklyn. A group of migrants who arrived by bus and downtown Los Angeles were sent from Texas. La Mayor Karen Bass called the move a despicable stunt. Republican Governor Greg Abbott has also been chartering buses to New York City, Washington, d C, Chicago, and Denver. A New Jersey man is lucky to be alive after he was struck by lightning, official say thirty nine year old to Eric Bombgardner, a Woodbridge Township public works employee was painting lines on a middle school soccer field when he was struck. His life was saved by Woodbridge police officer Robert R. J. McPartland, who was assigned to the high school right next door and arrived within seconds.
Speaker 23: Some burnmarks appeared on his hands, realized he didn't have a pulse and began CPR. He was a parent that he was struck by lightning. He was still holding one of the machines. We were able to get that away from him. When more units arrived, we were able to get the AD hooked up to him and start breathing for him.
Speaker 10: Officer McPartland says. Bombgardner was rushed to Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center in New Brunswick for treatment. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists nantilists in over one hundred and twenty countries. I'm Michael Barr.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Neither Thanks Michael.
Speaker 13: Ten half of the Bloomberg Sports Update, brought to you by Trice State out Eat.
Speaker 2: Good morning, John Stanshout.
Speaker 4: Good morning Nathan.
Speaker 15: The Mets, losers of nine of their last ten games, did a lot of things wrong at Citi Field. Jeff McNeil's throwing air allowed the Yankees to take the lead seventh inning, and later in that inning they ignored Isaiah Connor pileeff and when he was at third base, they let him steal home. Then a base running blundered by Brandon Nimmo ended the chance to retake the lead in the bottom of the seventh, so the Subway series was still tied in the tenth.
Speaker 24: The one swinging a high drive hit Teep right field hours back to the track at the wall.
Speaker 2: It is off the wall. Escobar racing a round third, take you the turn. The cutoff throw from right center field.
Speaker 10: Is out of time.
Speaker 2: Escovar slides it safely.
Speaker 13: Nimmo faced with it game winning RBI.
Speaker 15: Trip on WCBS, Mets beat the Yankees four to three. Mets were without reliever Drew Smith, they with a ten game suspension. Smith had been tossed out a Tuesday's game before he threw a pitch as umpires found the sticky stuff, just like what happened to his teammate Max Scherzer and of the Yankees, Domingo Herman. The Oakland A's stunning seven game win.
Speaker 10: Streak is over.
Speaker 15: They were twelve and fifty before the streak, and the A's moved closer to Las Vegas with final approval by the Nevada Legislator and public funding for a new stadium on the Strip. US Open Golf Tee's off today on of course, it has not hosted any of the previous one hundred and twenty two opens, so most of the field unfamiliar with the La Country Club. The two betting favorite for Scottie Scheffler and John Rahm, both with morning Tea times Finny Chiv. Matt Fitzpatrick plays this afternoon. He'll be with Dustin Johnson and just after that a group that includes Brooks Kepta and Rory Mclelord Johns, stash Ellend Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 25: From coast to coast, from New York to Sen Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias Exam, the Bloomberg Business Appen Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning.
Speaker 13: I'm Nathan Hager. The Federal Reserve has hit the pause button on its aggressive run of interestrate hikes, keeping policy on hold for the first time since March of last year, but Chairman J. Powell is sending a message to markets the central banks fight against inflation is far from over.
Speaker 5: Inflation has moderated somewhat since the middle of last year. Nonetheless, inflation pressures continue to run high, and the process of getting inflation back down to two percent has a long way to go.
Speaker 13: That was Chairman Palell at the news conference you heard yesterday here on Bloomberg Radio following that decision to keep rates on hold and for more. We were joined by Bloomberg opinion columnist Marcus Ashworth. Marcus, what did you make of the messaging from the chairman and the big shift that we saw on the dot plot.
Speaker 9: Well, let's start the last thing first. I don't believe particularly in the dot plot. It's more of a horoscope and it changes around as the wind. As the wind blows. I don't think Pow thinks much of it either. So I just think the Feller done a great job in talking out prospective rate cuts for this year. They've somehow managed to do a pause and make it incredibly hawkish. I don't really believe that. I don't think the market on reflection really believes it either. Nonetheless, they've given themselves what the precious thing they want, which is the optionality going into the July meeting. You know, they can pause again or they can hike, and that's at their sort of blessing. So that's I think all they want. They'll see a bit more data. There are a lot more data. Actually there's probably less data of importance coming up, but yeah, and get another CPIET, another payroll number. I think the interesting thing, most interesting by quite some way, is how power has shifted on what the effects of wage rises are to inflation. He's essentially said, from being the bad thing, the baddest thing out there, it's now a good thing for the economy, as in supporting the almost like a flaw for a soft landing. Now, if we do get what's known as immaculate disinflation, perhaps there is a soft landing there, and it means they're less focused on wage rises as being pushing forward for second round effects of inflation and keeping inflation high. There it's still a concern for them, but nowhere near I think as much a prime concern. So that sense, I think there's a subtle shift on what they're looking at. They're not going to be so fixated on backward looking labor data, and that is good news.
Speaker 16: Now.
Speaker 13: That is really interesting because there has been so much of a focus over the last several months on the concern that wage pressures could be what's leading to the stickiness that we're seeing in inflation. What do you think the FED is seeing in the data now that could be justifying that shift.
Speaker 9: Well, it's almost is that the causality is is potentially reversed. And I don't want to get too technical here, but in essence, everyone's saying high wage rises leads to future inflation. If inflation is coming down as it is now quite sharply and across a range of everything, but use to flies as one percent, you know, CPI, I know is a little stick in the month a month, but it's heading downwards, and the headline certainly is then those drop off of inflation expectations may in turn actually feedback the other way and people demanding less of a wage rise, and that in turn will actually see wage rises full off. So it's sort of looking at backwards. Perhaps, I think they're realizing that short term inflation expectations are driven by headline inflation as much as indeed the second round effects feeding through of oh I've missed out, and I'm poor. I was, and I demand at least an inflationary rhizome. More so, I think they're hoping that consumer expectations and some sense work for them rather than work against them.
Speaker 13: In the minute we have left here, Marcus, you've got to look forward to the European Central Bank decision. I think I saw on the Markets Live survey yesterday. Will Madame Legarde be listening to Chairman Powell? What's your answer to that.
Speaker 9: I think she is very much listening. Whether she'll admit to it, it's another thing altogether. I do think that the FED mothership is by skillfully you make might not think it's skillful, but compeditor what we have over here, the Fed's played this pretty well. I think they've got themselves a pause. They've got themselves the optionality the next time around. She's not able to do that, yet, I'm hoping, against hope that she hints that maybe in July again, a day after the FED, the FED pauses for a second time. That enables the easy bea to relax a bit and not be hiking adnauseum every single meeting, because you know, maybe they can go to once a quarter. This time around, it's a quarterly economic review, and the next one will be September. Maybe they can skip July. It's probably hoping it gets hope. I think that certainly a signal they will intend to hike in July.
Speaker 4: Whether they do or.
Speaker 9: Not, I'm hopeful that they may see. Economy in Europe is already in recession. The start of second quart of Jemmy isn't great. This is not a time to be hiking rights.
Speaker 24: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 12: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 24: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 12: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 24: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business App, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 12: And I'm Amy Morris. Up us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right dear, on Bloomberg day Break