Speaker 1: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to Fish on.
Speaker 2: First Fish on First Live on the Foul Territory Network, presented by jet Ski Rentals of South Florida. Fun sweep the Marlins?
Speaker 3: Do you get?
Speaker 2: Are sweep against the Sacramento Slash Las Vegas Athletics out in a minor league park somewhere in Sacramento. Let's start the positives. Uh, Marlin's gave two Allstar representatives and they both performed well in this series. Nothing to take away from them. Defended their cases very well, particularly Auto Max as well, so that was awesome. The offense showed up an abundance in this series was very good. Lots of long balls, lots of runs. They have a positive run differential. If this continues and they end with a positive run differential somehow this season, it will be the first time they've done it since two thousand and eight. Lots of things to be happy about with the Marlins. This is a team that is surpassing my expectations and I think a lot of other people's expectations in terms of how it is performing. Even if this was against a bad team. They haven't lost a series in a bit they've lost one series since the start of June, and things are okay right now, better than okay for the Marlins as a whole. This series, on the other hand, even though it was just sweep, I would say that we leave the series and leave Sacramento coming home right to face the Mariners. I think it is with a little bit of sour taste in the mouth. And we'll get to that here in a second, as we cover the first game of the series, which just ended Len's win by a final score of nine to eight, a game they were leading eh to zero. It takes that last run that was driven that Liam hick shtroven on a little what swibbler to the picture. That's the winning run in the game, in the game where ry Prez was absolutely dominating. The winning run was scored in this game in what they ate inning so unbelievable, just out of hand. The Marlins always find a way to surprise you, no matter what matter if it's good or bad. This particular game was very bad in all of our opinions, I think we all agree. I know there's discourse going on on Twitter between fans, media members, people that work for the team, people that don't work for the team. We're always going to give it to you one hundred percent. And listen, I'll start it this way before I go to you, guys, I get the decision to protect the picture. I get it. He's two stars off the il young kid. You know in that moment, he's going to be fireballing his ass off. He's going to be going for that one hundred percent like it's the seventh game of the World Series. Absolutely so, you protect the player from himself by taking him out. However, leaving him in could have done so much better. Not only is he your best chance to win, as Lake Baker and Pete Fairbanks proved, not only is your best chance to win and you need everyone you can get two more innings of Uri Perez, is your best chance to win in that situation. That's number one. No matter if you're talking about the stretch or whatever it is. You're in the moment right now and you need to win a baseball game. I don't care if it's fifteen to nothing. You leave that picture and that is your best chance to win the baseball game. Number two is you could have done so many things. Ignited the team, ignited the fan base, given the town something to talk about. They're still struggling to get fans in here. People ain't believe it in this team until they're performing like this in the end of August, then maybe they'll be selling out Loan Depot Park. They're not doing that right now. It's gonna take a lot more of this, but to give them the fact they can say, hey, this team just through a perfect game. That gets you a lot more buy in. So, without going too far on my own, I'm gonna go to you, guys, Isaac, I'll go to you first. I think we all agree this is a bad decision. I gave you my reasons why it's a bad decision. I'll go to you first, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Bad decision is complicated.
Speaker 5: I certainly probably would have done something differently because we have to appreciate the fact that every single game under this regime, it has been plan oriented, part of the plan, every single starting pitcher. Every time they do this with a starting pitcher, we always ask the same thing, and it is always part of the plan. Now, should they pivot from that plan when something like a perfect game is realistically possible here six outs away? Probably, And I understand the argument, Okay, he goes up for the eighth, he has to go pitch the night at that point, and then you're getting to like the one oh five, one to.
Speaker 4: Fifteen range, which you want to avoid. But my argument would be you're in the eighth inning. That inning will decide it for you. If it's a a quick swift in.
Speaker 5: One, two three inning in the eighth, like it wasn't the seventh, he could go out there below one hundred pitches for the ninth and there you let him finish. If he has a tough enne of he labors a little bit, throws twenty pitches, or he gives up the perfect game, then you take him out right there on the spot.
Speaker 4: So I didn't love it.
Speaker 5: I'm a big history guy, and if there's a chance of doing something that only twenty four other people have ever done the history of this beautiful game, you let the kid do it. You don't know when this guy will have another opportunity. He probably will never have another opportunity to do this, So in that.
Speaker 4: Sense, it's tough. But like I said, we also have to.
Speaker 5: Appreciate the discipline because, oh my god, imagine having to take out your starting pitcher at ninety two pitches in a perfect game. So that sucks. It's not a tough position to be in. But I would have certainly gone about it a different way and let him get the eighth, you know, and what if he has a three pitch inning, but he has a five pitch inning, you know, like and so if I were going to take him out too, you better go with someone high leverage.
Speaker 4: Here, you minded that perfect game with.
Speaker 2: That box and we can get too. How is that your decision?
Speaker 6: You don't.
Speaker 1: And going with Baker? They treated it as I like it's any other game. This was the guy was throwing a person. Look, I I appreciate Clayton claim has been nothing but good with us, But man, when I say this is probably the worst decision he's made as manager of the Marlins, it's it's up that you don't take a guy out of a perfect game. In no world do you take someone out of a perfect game, especially the way Uri was throwing where it was good, he was looking great. There was no other way to say it. And to not take that Barker earlier was also weird. I understand that, you know, you wanted to use him as much as he could and try to see if you can maybe stretch him out for those last two winnings of the game. But it was a bad decision. I'm not one to say that the Marlins ever deserved to lose a game, but the way it was going, it was it was going that way where they lost, I wouldn't have a surprise. But you know what, there's seven games over five hundred. They are currently now tied for the third wild card spot.
Speaker 7: Well okay, oh yeah, okay, thank you. Uh, I think all all as well as an exaggeration. I mean that the roach of one about as well as yeah, so it's uh, it really is just absolute pure, like too good to script that you have one of the best start starting appearances ever made in Marlin's history, and it's immediately followed by one of the worst bullpen meltdowns in the entire franchise history. Like Baker, we can poke holes in the decision to bring him in particular, if for going to the pen, Baker has been pretty good this year. He's never had an outing like that in his entire nature career. I mean the fact that he faced six guys didn't retire a single one for him to totally melt down like that it feels like something almost supernatural that it happened that way. I think that is the baseball gods kind of like roaring back at Clayton mccull for this decision, which I mean, when we talked about these decisions, we shouldn't we need to be acknowledged the fact that it's not a Clayton McCullough only decision. This is a collaborative process. This is I'm sure communication with several different levels of the Marlins organization even before this game, about what Yuri could realistically have done given that he's shortly removed coming back from the IL, given that he was not fully stretched out when he came back from the IL, This like theoretically should have been the start where he was fully stretched out again as a starter. But this is a guy that's never gone nine innings in a game. But he's never gone has he ever gone eight innings. I know he's like pitched in the eighth inning, but this was going to blow pass you know, anything he's ever previously done. But that being said, I mean, just watching this game and how easy he made it look, especially at the very end of that. I thought his final ending that he pitched was as good as any ending, as effortless as any ending that he had thrown on a day where really the separator was that his command overall was as good as I've ever seen it with all his pitches, like his velow was totally regular is in terms of swing and miss, that was pretty much in line with an average Yury appearance. It was more so that he just was not throwing meat balls for anybody to take advantage of. And that's why he got all these lazy pop ups, all these routine grounders, and also his fair share of strikeouts that were just beautifully placed on both corners, catching east to west in particular. Today he was just marvelous. He was perfect and when he just shows no sign of tiring. There is a difference between a perfect game and a no hitter. I think people like to group them together, But this is something that was totally unprecedented in Marlin's history that they had going that they were this close to against a team that they had all week and long had just absolutely demoralized. It seems like a situation to me where this is where some intangibles, some real feel for the game has to come in and they are yeah, they're lucky that they won this game, because it would have jumped right to the top of the list of one of the worst losses ever for a regular season, at least for this Marlins team. How that was gross the way that it ended, And I think whoever is ultimately responsible for that call, maybe it is played in in that moment that actually has to make that decision to take Yuri out here, to say that you have a long future ahead of us. But this is even something that they mentioned on the broadcast. I can't remember whether it was specifically Chris Carrey or Dallas Brayden or Gabby Sanchez. It was like one of them pointing out that he has such a long career ahead of him, which he does. He's twenty three years old, and he's been pitching extraordinary well before his injury. Since he's coming back, like there's reason to think he's gonna have other gems in his career. There's not really a good reason to think he's going to pitch another perfect game in his career because that so rarely happens. And I think that's where you just need to emphasize how unique a situation this was. Even if he wasn't necessarily perfect, even if every pitch wasn't perfect, even if there was a situation where he was behind in the count three and one and he missed low, and if they challenge at the abs challenge right there, the perfect game is over. Yeah that was in the sixth ending if I had that correct. So he wasn't flawless in this outing, But the results are the results, Like perfect results are something that people remember forever, even more vividly than no hitters. And for him to get had that opportunity to take away from him, it feels awful. And I think the fans are more upset than probably he is, and the fans might be more upset than his teammates are, But the fans are understandably furious about this, and I think it's just another one of those really weird in game decisions that we've seen the Marlins make these last couple of years, a lot of which actually work out. Overall, this is a team that's like overachieving considering what we thought they'd be talent wise and experience wise, but still like these are the moments that are still a step back. I would think to handle the situation the way that they did.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 2: Nate, I want to get your thoughts on this before we go on, because we have much more to carver rather than just as I know, as Kevin you were mentioning, I don't want to let this overshadow as Eli was talking about what was a great series and great roach trip for the Marlins, and they feel good coming home, for sure, I think they could have felt a lot better. You know, if that were to happen, if that history were to happen, it would have been just amazing for one of the youngest kids on the team to have that moment would have been great for the fan base, great for the team, everything else. But we were saying, Nate, before you got here, what happened after they took Uriy out. It just didn't even seem like they cared what was going on. They just treated it like, Okay, we're up by eight runs, let's just let's just put in our bulk reliever like that. I can't I can't get Maybe I can get past the decision to take Eury out. Fine, I was saying how it could ignite the fan base, like give them something to be Wow, the Marlins did something amazing that only and they treated it like just it was just another game, and and Baker comes in and gives up a grand Slam and doesn't even get an out. That the decision to take Eury out, I guess you could sway both sides of the aisle. The decision to go to Lake Baker followed by Michael Peterson and then only Fairbanks probably because you had to That to me is terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's just so many things to do into this, right. I think it was almost like divine intervention from the baseball Dogs, and hey, you're gonna take a guy out with the perfect game through seven. I mean, I don't even hate going to Michael Peterson there, but going to Lake I know, I'm a big fan of Lake Balker, but even though to do that just a little bit more high leverage from the start, because Micro out of it perfectly fine. I think my big thing is, like, I don't know, I grew up a big fan of this team, and there's I mean, let's be real here, there's never been any national attention about the Miami Marlins, right except when they go on their runs here and then made the playoffs. They're playing their best baseball that they've played since at least twenty twenty three. And I guarantee you all that's going to be played on ESPN, MLB network, Fox, all over Twitter. All you're gonna see are the A's fans channing shame at Clayton when this team has played. I mean, they just killed. They killed the road trip. It's the truth. I guarantee you'll see more of that than anything else. And it is such a shame that this team is playing such good baseball and Uri, I mean, let's be real here, as I don't think, honestly, URI's gonna be in that position ever. Again that's just speaking truthfully. I mean, with the walk issues that he's had in the past, and one abs call goes another way when a guy is that close to history, And I mean, what is twenty pitches really gonna do. I mean, the last time the Marlins Bavidyary three years ago, his arm popped anyway, and spring training the next year. So it's just how it is with pitch. It with pitchers now, the arms and a pop eventually. So it is a shame that I had to work out like this. And like you said, Carvert it you know, you know you don't want this to overshadow what the morons have been doing. But we're fifteen minutes into the stream and we have not said a word about the road trip they just had and they just swept They's so it's a shame, but the Marlins that at least they pulled it out. Pete Fairbanks, when is the last time he is not allowed to run in an appearance If you don't give that guy at least a two run cushion, I don't know. So there's a lot to digest here, but I think we should finally get to the fact that they did win this series and sweep, and they're coming back to manage seven games over and that the fans that are you know, that can make it to the game, they should show out and appreciate the team before the All Star break.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did have to look at it.
Speaker 5: Sorry, just regarding regarding Fairbanks, because it even if you give him a four run lead, he seems to always make it interesting.
Speaker 4: And he hasn't had a.
Speaker 1: Series there was scoreless.
Speaker 5: Right as the scoreless ending since the Giants and then over his last since the beginning of April. So yeah, after the first two that's for the first home stand He's given up nineteen earned runs in twenty two innings pitch. It's almost a run per inning for him. Well, for a pretty lengthy period of time. Honestly, the Marls ironically eighteen and six in those games.
Speaker 4: But still they they don't have to show.
Speaker 5: Up the back end of that pet a little bit because who knows where Bender's gonna be. Who knows where a lot of these guys are going to be past the deadline, including Fairbanks. But yeah, it's been a rough stretch for Pete.
Speaker 2: Earned run in every out in sense, what was it the June twentieth game against the Giants, So that's what four consecutive outings.
Speaker 7: Now, Yeah, yeah, Just to echo that point, I think I meant to bring it myself, but I rambled in too many different directions. The fact that blowing up in a game like this and for Fairbanks to again be in the middle of it, you're running out of time for him to prove anything in regards to him being like back to his usual self or even back to who he was last year. Like there's this big sample of evidence that just points to the fact that this is his worst season. It doesn't mean that he's useless, but the idea about going forward down the stretch with him as your highest leverage reliever and your most important reliever and for the moment, I mean, I guess the next man up, if healthy, would have been Anthony Bender. But Bender is hurt. That's something that we kind of glossed over. But I think that that's something that's pretty relevant in this situation. People had gone to Bender, for example, in the eighth inning, I think it's a different vibe than if they go to somebody like Lake Poker, given how Bender has pitched this year, so I personally have not given too much attention to the idea of like relief pitching being a priority heading into the trade deadline. But the fact that you just there's depending on Bender's health and even if he is healthy, like the fact that there really is not one guy you can love going to in that situation to somewhat like soften the blow of, you know, that controversial decision. I think that just speaks to the fact that, yeah, they could use even more talent there, among other areas as well as they've been playing right now, they could still use more outside help, and the bullpen is one of those many areas so that they should be exploring.
Speaker 1: Well, last thing real quick with Uri, Like people talked about the injury and they're trying to just you know, have him come back and listen, it was a legend. It's all like his arm was shot or he had a label like, it was none of that. It was a leg injury. Like I understand, like, yes, you got to ease him back in, but like there's a reason he only had one rehab starting Jacksonville and this was a lot quicker than expected because it was a leg injury. It's not like this was a forearm strain or a shoulder injury that like you know what, then at that point, fine, sure whatever, you took him out.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 1: There's so many ways to dive into this, but it really truly is not the right decision. And I think Eli noted this, like you have the game, man, and I think that's been a big issue with this coaching staff since day one, just lack of feel. You're in a position where you can make history, and even then you took him out, Fine, you're in a position where you could be the first team ever in Major League based and first team ever to have a combined perfect game. Like, that's still relatively cool if you ask me. Regardless of Ice likes it. I don't know, just bad decision making there, but yeah, they won. Good for them. They almost blew it, like literally, I mean, you could not have asked for like the worst situation after But yeah, they they won. Good for them.
Speaker 5: One of the funnier arguments that I've seen on Twitter has been that it's it's very hot outside of Sacramento.
Speaker 4: To be played in the winter. What am I say?
Speaker 2: What do we eat? This game was only ever played out.
Speaker 5: I've seen the Marlins play baseball games in Saint Louis in July in one hundred and five degree field temperature.
Speaker 4: Give me a break, man, what are you doing here? Hey? I want to say that he.
Speaker 2: Grew up grow up in domes and lone people park.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 7: I covered one year start this year when he was at Yankee Stadium and it was like fifty five degrees and a little breezy, and it's like he goes out of his way to bring up hell it was a little too, it was a little cold, Like he wasn't making excuses, basically walked like six guys and he said, it's a little colds I don't like the cold weather. So if anything, I think these are ideal can do and that's why he I don't think it's a total coincidence that he pitched well under these conditions anything California.
Speaker 5: And it's not like many of these are dug outs in high school. These are well equipped Major League Baseball dugouts with all the water in the world and all the electrolytes in the world. And no, you know that's and it's like I said, it's in northern California.
Speaker 4: I'm also going to be curious.
Speaker 1: Obviously we haven't listened to Clayton yet, but we all remember when he took out Sandy earlier this year and he said that was his decision. He'll take them out. The blame for it. I'm curious to see who how does this all came to be at the end of the day, this was a Clayton only decision where he said I'm going to take charge you and I'm going to take him out, or if this was a collective decision. I'm assuming it was more collective. But still, yeah, I mean, regardless of.
Speaker 2: We have to move on, Adrey says. The start, you know, there is that modicum of protecting the player from himself, and you get it, but the history of that has to If it's a no hitter and that's where you're at, I'd be like, all right, you know what. Fine, still sucks, but okay, you it. You're protecting that player from himself. But Kevin, to your point, Uri coming back from an arm injury in May through more than ninety two pitches, So we can go a million different directions, but we got to stop because we gotta go on. I do want to get the positives. This isn't didn't. I didn't want to just make this a slam show about this decision, which will probably continue to talk about as the season goes on. But they do sweep the series and there's a lot of positives that I do want to get to. So we'll put Yuri in the back in the in the rear view for now. The good thing is he did go seven perfect. I think he'll be able to build confidence after this start. Even though he had to watch the bullpen kind of almost squander away the lead behind him, This is still a good confidence building block start for Yuri. And Uri, as we all know, with how he has attitude wise and how he pitches with his heart on his sleeve. He needs confidence more than anything else, and I think he'll pull that away from the start, even though he was pulled when I don't think you should have been. We'll go on what we all think, and what we all have thought all season is that there's some true All Stars on this team, and two of them got the knots before this series started and defended them, defended those selections in the series, one being Auto Lopez. So I want to talk about this kid probably should have been the starting shortstop in the National League. I think is the best shortstop in the National League. Probably not so arguably is the best shortstop in the National League. He won't be starting because of fan voting, but he does get his rightful selection, and he's in the midst of one of the greatest offensive and even defensive seasons any Marlin shortstop of all time. I mean, this guy in this series became the eighth player in franchise history with twenty five doubles and nine homers at least in the first half of a Marlin season. One of the last players that did that is Hanley Ramirez, Isaac's boy. So I don't think I think that where when you compare these two seasons, which I think is a great thing, A great great thing to look at. Whether Otto gets to Hanley or not, we'll talk about. I want to ask you, Isaac that question. Can he get to where Hanley was that season, which is one of the greatest seas in Marlin's history. I think he could, but I want to get your thoughts on that. That season. Of course, Hanley wins a batting title, hit like three forty something, I think where Otto loses out on the power side of things. But he's up to nine homers, I mean, in the twenty five, twenty six doubles, whatever. He has now pretty awesome. So can he get to where your boy Hanley was in nine? Offensively? He's definitely already there and passed him defensively because Hanley wasn't great defensively for most of his career. But offensively, can Otto get to where Henley was that year on nine?
Speaker 5: I mean the extra base hits and the impact that Otto's bat has been able to contribute this year is what's really separated him from what we thought he could be a couple of years back or last year. Because holy crowd, the guy's slugging over five hundred. These are Bryce Harper type numbers when you compare him to Hanley. I don't want to compare the two because Handley in two thousand and nine was arguably the best player in baseball.
Speaker 4: Right he lost the MVP to of prime.
Speaker 5: Elbert pool Holes, he was legitimately the best player in baseball, one of the best player, a top five player in baseball at the worse.
Speaker 4: So it's hard for me to compare the two immediately.
Speaker 5: But with Auto Lopez, just the fact that we're even having this discussion off from a waiver claim, it's just incredible. The fact that the WRC plus damn near similar, the batting average identical, and they're both slunking in the high five hundreds and the low five hundred. They should say so, Like I said, just the fact that it's even a discussion. With the amount of extra base hits Auto is bringing in as well as the goal glove defense, he's.
Speaker 4: Become a hell a valuable player.
Speaker 5: I believe he just eclipsed four f war on the season, and there's still a whole other but three months left of baseball games being played, so I'm really excited to see.
Speaker 4: I believe Hanley accumulated seven point.
Speaker 5: Two war on in two thousand and nine, so it's not far off that Auto could eclipse him in that way.
Speaker 1: I was riding up the Auto All Star piece, you know, and if you look at single seasons, there's four from Handley and then Auto's right behind him. So in terms of in terms of b war so he's got an opportunity to really semment himself into a really good spot. And I think he has the third most B war among Marlins shortstops, you know, career, so it's behind Handley at the top. Figure out. But the season Auto is having is just incredible, and you're finally starting to see a little bit more of a power surge. Despite the ballparks they played in this road trip, still get to see and defensively, after a slow start, he really just got it going. I mean, Auto, the season he's had is one of the best we've seen in a very long time. And I think you're reaching a point where Otto I'm not gonna say he's gonna win an MVP. He will not show his his there. There's a lot of guys that are there, but to say lower top ten, that's not crazy to think, right, I mean, he's putting up one of the best seasons in this franchise history. He's one of the best shortstops in the National League. He should have been starting the All Star Game. He could have made the case score and at least to be one of the finalists to start. So yeah, no, I mean, and this this series only cemented as All Star Case.
Speaker 7: I haven't seen a whole lot is like people, I think it's useful to contextualize what Otto's doing this year compared to like so Towers last year, because Tours had this very fascinating breakout campaign and he had I would say that the shape of his production looked a lot different. With Towers. He got off to a pretty good start and then he had a very deep slump in like late May and first half of June, and then he caught absolute fire after that, one National League Player of the Month in July his last fully healthy month. Whereas with Auto it's just been freakishly consistent. And the stat that I still think is it's so simple, but he had so important. He has hits in every single series this entire season. It's hard enough to play in every single series entire seasons hits in most cases several hits. In this particular series it must have been six or seven hits, including but most of those were extra bases. He's just been that's to me, that's the aspect of the game. The simple like hit tool, I do not think was anywhere close to I forget, like an eighty grade hit tool, but even sixty five seventy seemed extremely extremely optimistic. And that's kind of what he's playing at this year is an elite hit tool to go along with above average power, to go along with his continued plus base running, to go along with his above average defense at a premium position. So I mean, as impressive as Stowers was, as many people that were wanted him to be an extension candidate, wanted him to be a face of a franchise, and he's now heating up and playing really well on his own. What Otto is doing is significantly more impressive, and I think that's just being born out in the most basic way. In terms of his overall value wins above replacement. He's ready to produce more war this year than Stowers did all last year by a healthy margin. And that's where he compares pretty favorably to Handley on pace to kind of have the same war output that Handley had at his very best season. Yeah, this is just there's really no way to overstate what a big difference that has made with this Marlins team, from him going to a solid placeholder shortstop to going to I think unquestionably the best shortstop in the National League so far this season. It's been amazing.
Speaker 2: Jerd I who was out on cipher two of these games in in Sacramento, West Coast coverage for Fish on first, which is great to see. Uh So, Jeremy, we're talking about Auto. I know you get a chance to talk to him about what the All Star Game means to him. So we were just going over where this he's this season for him could stand in terms of like greatest seasons ever by a Marlin shortstopp talking about Hanley and others. But yeah, just how he took the news for the All Star Game. We saw your interviews with him, but know you were there, so obviously awesome for him. And as Isaac was mentioning, turning a guy a waiver claim into an All Star by the Marlins just absolutely amazing what Bendix has done with some of these guys they pretty much find out nowhere Hicks, Auto and others. But yeah, go ahead, how did uh? How did How was Auto's demeanor this this series?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was having fun and was just super grateful, super happy that he was an All Star. I mean there was that that like smile on his face. Just to have the privilege of going to the nash League All Star roster and participate hopefully in that game. It's a special thing for him. He told me he bought his suit two weeks ago. He had a feeling and you know, his face lit up when he was talking about, you know, red carpet, the festivities that go.
Speaker 4: On, and it's well deserved.
Speaker 6: I mean, the day he finds out he's named to an All Star game, he goes out and collects another three hits, another double, another home run. I mean, the guy is on fire. And there's no better shortstop in the National League. I'm gonna go ahead and say that right now. You could say C. J. Abrams, But for my money, the starter should be Auto Lopez. And it's a shame that he's not. But he's he's excited and it's so well deserved for him, so happy for him.
Speaker 2: We didn't see Max in this series, but I want to get to him ju He gets the nod in the All Star Game as well, first of his career. Brown's proved a lot of people wrong with this one, and I'll kid myself in the in the talk. Not only I think that Meyer wouldn't be a I didn't even think league average starter, and they turned him into an All Star pitcher and the best pitcher in this rotation so far this season. Just amazing. Not only to be able to solve him mechanically and to add the sweeper and everything like that, but also to solve him mentally, I think was a task for the Marlins. And not only did they do the pitch and usage thing and give him that that new pitch that they teach to so many pitchers, so gracefully they figured this player out with what he needs mentally, and I think that that can't be left unsaid. So I don't think any of us ever expected the day to come where we would have said Max Meyer all Star starting pitcher. Pretty amazing and another testament to pitching development all throughout this organization. They do it at the miners, they do it at the majors. The Marlins are very good at pitching development, and this is no exception. Nate, go ahead, Max.
Speaker 3: Meyer, Yeah, exactly what you said with pitching development, man. I mean I think what two or three years ago, like you said, we would have said that Max mar being All Star coming twenty twenty six, and even last year, I don't think anyone would have believed you after that blow up Rocky start the beginning of June. So I think we've all been on it for the past couple of years that this guy just misches up his pitchment a little bit, stops relying too much on that slider.
Speaker 4: Then it's been magic pretty much for him.
Speaker 3: Developing that sweeper to play off that slider in his fastball has also been looking improved as well, has been huge. I think something underrated don't really talk about when we discuss Matt's is the pitch talung from the dugout. I think that's just taking a load off of his mind. He doesn't have to worry about throwing the perfect pitch forever that he trusts, you know, a guy like Rob Marcelo to put himself in the best situation it is to get out, and he's been great.
Speaker 4: His mental forth two.
Speaker 3: I think has come a long way as well, and even saw it in his in the speech at the Marlins posted yesterday that he's finally healthy. He said that, you know, he probably thought he'd be choked by now we're on the il or something. But the fact that this guy has been able to be healthy, super durable. I think he's what fifth in the national leading innings pitched, exactly what the Marlins needed, especially with Sandy you know, still David new innings, but I guess as a late production has been there, but he's been inconsistent for the past few years, as we all know. So the fact that Matt has been doing this has been incredibly bid for this team and is a huge reason is why they're you know, seven games under at this point in the year or seven games over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if you dive into that development, you know, one of the big things is the addition of the sweeper that that pitch is still is technically by run value, his second best one. But you know, with the slider with a plus nine run value, which is one of the best pitch sliders in baseball, and then the sweepers at plus four, which is still great, it's still way above the gaverage.
Speaker 4: You'll take that.
Speaker 1: I think the big thing too, is the fastball. Clayton admitted this multiple times on scrums where Max's fastball just wasn't good enough. The for sing wasn't good enough, so they had the singer to compliment it a little bit. The sinker stool has not been a good pitch in terms of run value, but it gets a job done. And the fastball has been better, still not great, but still much better. Been a huge help. But the addition of the sweeper has really been the big change for him. I think that's been by far the biggest adjustment. If you have to pinpoint one thing, it's that. And then what Carver said is one hundred percent true the mental side of it, and great call by night with the pitchcolling. I mean he's noted that multiple times himself, where he doesn't have to think too much. Now he just goes out there and he gets the signed and he throws like that's really about it. So yeah, good stuff from Max. I know he unfortunately took his first loss. That was a big thing this year, the nine to zero record, But Isaac's bold predictions off to a good start. Hopefully, it ends. I think, what'd you say, Isaac. Fifteen wins for Max this year, so he's got he's got some time.
Speaker 7: Ye, he's well on pace to get there. We should before go break, we should check in with Jeremia again. Even though we kind of went into detail on Ury and the decision, Jeremiah was the one in the clubhouse that gots to hear from Clayton and Uri afterwards. So if he could give us a quick, quick synopsis about I guess Clayton's explanation and then Ury's reaction to being pulled in the middle of perfection.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Clayton acknowledged he he knew what was going on obviously that he wanted to leave Uri out there, but he also said that it was a predetermined decision. He said, ninety pitches going into the eighth inning, it was a foregone conclusion he was going to be taken out. I asked Uri if he had any conversation with Clayton regarding the decision, if there was any pushback, and Yuri said he understood. He said, I told Clayton I understand, and there was no attempt to stay in the game. Clayton just kind of acknowledged like, yeah, I understood the gravity of the situation, and a part of me did want to leave him out there.
Speaker 4: But we have a plan. I'm going to stick to that plan, and that's how it is. It's just funny that Marlin's pr got to uri too quick. They got to him real quick there. It's unfortunately, you know, Hey, that's fun.
Speaker 5: And the predetermined rule ninety pitches in the eighth inning, you're done.
Speaker 4: So what ninety pitchers means the same as ninety nine pitches? Like, really, it's just some arbitrary number like that.
Speaker 5: I don't like.
Speaker 4: I don't really love that explanation though, because.
Speaker 1: That's the point where you need to have feel like that, fuck that go out.
Speaker 2: And so how do you plans change? Like, if there were any situation for your plan predetermined plan to change. That is one of the only situations in which you could say the plan has to change. And that comes from Clayton, it comes from Bendex or whoever else is making these decisions, you medical, whatever it is, you have to change your plans when something like that is happening. There's just far too much more reward than there is to the risk. You have to change that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm gonna say this that, in my opinion, you throw them out there for the eighth. You let him go hitter for hitter. If he loses the perfect game, you make that decision. But we're on the verge of witnessing history. And the entire stadium wanted to see history made amy. The A's fans were screaming and booing. It was loud from the press box. And and and what also I have to say, is Ury Ury audibly or I could see URI's emotion and how how he was just in a groove all day long and the A's hitters had no chance. There wasn't one hit that I felt like, Oh, Ury got super lucky, you know, I mean it was weak contact, it was strikeouts, those guys rolling over. And you know, we're never gonna know if Ury could have finished the perfect game.
Speaker 4: We're never gonna know because.
Speaker 6: The next hitter, Lake Baker walks Lawrence Butler, and you know, the rest is history. But I'm always gonna wonder, I really am.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a whole lot more to discuss. It's quickly throw it over to our friends at Sea Geek for the d break and then a more to unpack from this what was overall very successful. Marlin's road trip. Stick with us.
Speaker 9: A Geek is MLB's official ticket marketplace, and in addition to finding every single game on the MLB calendar, there are big events coming up.
Speaker 10: There's an All Star game. There's a home run derby. And if you think you're perfect and you can pick the right seat at the home run Derby to get the most home run balls, you can get the little green dot and that might be your lucky seat. Don't go red dot though, because you might not get any balls, but go redgreen dot and get as many home run balls as you think you can catch.
Speaker 8: Yep, you click the seat, you check out what your view is.
Speaker 9: Each ticket's rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal.
Speaker 8: And that's what AJ's talking about. Green good, red bad.
Speaker 9: With those dots and the code for you Territory one zero for ten percent off your next set of tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten.
Speaker 8: Make sure you click the link in.
Speaker 9: The description of this episode that'll help you download the app and then get the code automatically added to your account.
Speaker 8: So that you can use it later. Thank you to zekeek.
Speaker 2: Nack. Here on fish on First Live to recap the rest of the series and preview. With the Mariners series coming up back at home starting later this week, we'll move past Urie talk and All Star talk. We hit on Max and Auto and their rightful selections to the All Star Game, which will be awesome. Kevin, You'll be there to see how suld be cool. We'll talk about Sandy. We talked about wins for Max and how he racked him up. I mean, Sandy, here he comes again. I mean he's racked up what's seven in a row, and it's been pretty damn well deserved. I mean, he hasn't lost a game in a while. And one of the key cogs in what the Marlins were able to do in June was Sandy out there every fifth day getting a dub. So pretty cool for Sandy. I think this start it showed a lot of the reason why he's an ace. He throws out a twenty pitch first and somehow pitches through the eighth inning. I mean that's the stuff of aces. You know, after a long first inning, to go deep in a game, you're going to have to be economical with your pitches, not only in one inning, but probably in a few innings, and he had what three innings under nine pitches, which is just incredible. It wasn't all about the strikeout. There were some of those really just a zone pounding stuff from Sandy. Here it is, come get it. You're not gonna hit it, so I don't care. Got some whists as well, but really was purposely all around the strike zone, particularly with sinkers. This sinker heavy in the start, but that's okay. We really only saw the change up versus left the other side of the plate, so I mean he was really just coming right at guys and it worked and he pitched into the eighth inning and showed why he's still a cy Young Award winner. So incredible start for Sandy, especially after that rough first. I was like, okay, probably gonna need the bullpen, and you barely needed it. So thoughts on Sandy and this one, like go ahead.
Speaker 7: You covered it well. Where I do feel like I've seen that script a bunch of times during Sandy's career where it doesn't necessarily look like he has it all working early on, and then he just he just figures it out, he makes adjustments. Doesn't really get as much credit as he probably should for being as cerebral of a picture as he is and being as adaptable as he is, and now in this era, in this Bendix era of pitchcollng from the dugout, it's not all on him to make those adjustments. Part of it is to help from the pitching coaches as well, but as a collaborative group, it's been working out. And this was great Like this, Honestly, his performance wasn't all that far removed from what Yuri was doing just in terms of quality. I mean, the results weren't close to perfect, but there was a shoutout going into that eighth inning that I had felt like there was a decent chance that he was going to finish that game all by himself, just yesterday, and also in the same situation, given that he had a very healthy lead to work with. Understandably, that's a big elements when it comes to looking at this long win streak that he has, one that wasn't even match during his cy Young year. I tweeted that out. I want to bring it up again that he not even during his cy Young year did he have a streak like this, seven consecutive starts of his at the team won. Forget him, he's gotten the winning decision in all those games, but even just the Marlins winning seven straight Sandy starts had been unprecedented until this streak. And during that streak that he've been scoring upwards of seven runs per game. This has been a very average offensive performance behind him since the start of June that he's had, so that naturally helps a lot. It's just good to see, you feel I mean, all overall, you just feel good for the guy because he's had to especially early in his career. I remember how much of a narrative it was that he was doing it all by himself, that he was losing games in spite of great pitching, just because the run sport was right into the very bottom of the league. Like we've experienced both ends of that, and so this is a very refreshing change for him. It's something that he's certainly not familiar with that this kind of support, and it speaks to just how well the team is playing overall, that offensively, this is on pace overall, of course, this is on pace to be one of the best teams in Marlin's history. But offensively, it's that seems like even more secure that this really is a top at worst the top three offense in the team's history now, just the depth that they have and the improvement that they've had today. For example against left handed pitching. Remember that was a story early in the year that at least against lefties you could beat up this team, you could force when they were sitting some key guys, they wouldn't get nearly the same production from the platoon players that were coming in, and that trends has kind of been squashed as this year has gone on. So to me, like that's as good as the starting pitching has been. To me, the offense is top of mind. The fact that they have during this road trip, they really lit it up. Even you could use all the qualifiers you want, but offensively, this has been a stretch that we've just rarely seen in Marlin's history, and it's really encouraging moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean, just Sandy being in the middle of it. It has to be that way, right, I mean, so it's only right that that happens. So I thought that, like we said, a really good start this last time out for Sandy, and you know, even if it didn't look that way at first, to make that happen and to just just make it work and make it happen no matter what you have to do, no matter which way you have to pitch guys, is Sandy in a nutshell. He's he's gonna do everything you can to get the job done and did it well in this one. I want to head on one more guy, singular player before we uh move on from the series. I wanted to hit on two more, but we went a little long on Uri, understandably so, so I one end on Jill Mack, who had a fantastic West Coast swing. We only saw him really in two games in this series, but he did it a home run, actually hit three home runs on this road trip, which is awesome. You're starting to see the offense show up. Took him a little while. I mean, with any young player, it's going to happen, especially a catcher, but you're starting to see what this guy can do with the bag. He's been a little bit more patient, He's been able to drive pitches a little bit better. The swings are looking better all the time for him, and the defense just continues So you know, we've thrown this talk around for a while about extension candidates to the Marlins. We've talked about Paris, We've talked about Marcy at one time. We've talked about you know, a few of Thomas White. I even mentioned as a guy, maybe even before he makes his debut, which would be historical. But I think the the most obvious answer to the question of who do the Marlins extend, If there's gonna be one guy, it has to be this player. This is a franchise cornerstone. I liken him to a lefty hitting J. C. Rerel Muto, which is a cornerstone catcher. I think it's a little bit that too soon to say he's Yati Malina. I've seen that comparison as well, But I really like him as a true defensive catcher who is going to hit for a good average of good power. I think that he really could get to a ceiling likened to JT. Real Muto. That's my opinion. So my question to you guys, Kevin, I'll let you go on this one. Do they extend Joe Mack, Why should they and when should they do it?
Speaker 1: Will they extend Joe Mack I don't know, should they extend Joe Mack? Hell yeah, and yeah, our friend Lewis Adeo weis frowly at the Yaudi comp after a saying that Joe Mac had no aura is something but apology piece from him coming soon by the way, But yeah, no. Since the start of June, Joe Mack is raking. He has a nineteen sixty two oh ps that doesn't include today's game. I don't even think I don't think he ended up taking it a bat but two ninety nine batting average, like what he's doing is truly impressive. And you know, even if he wasn't posting a nine hundred some and ops like the.
Speaker 2: Fact the plate.
Speaker 4: Oh great existed.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, no, great stuff for Mac and phenomenal month of June. He probably should have been up there for Rookie of the Month just the way he played. And we're starting to finally see the power coming a little bit more too, which is great. And I think we always said this, you know, the it would the icing on the cake with this whole thing would be that Joe Mack. You know, his bat translates from what we saw in the minor leagues to now and that's been the case so far. And this is this is probably the best, you know, best case scenario in terms of what the Marins expected from Mac, because he could have expected him to continue to struggle the way he was early on, but he really he really kept it going and and he really just kept improving. So shout out to him. This is one of the best defensive catchers Martins with that in a very long time. And just the way like just watching games, it feels so much more comforting knowing that Mac is back there and what a guy runs in all likelihood, you know, the guys want to steal second is gonna get thrown out. I think Mac has like fourteen or fifteen caught steelings already this season, and maybe sixteen already. But like the season he had he's having is just impressive. And shout out to him, and yeah, I would extend them easily, Carver, There's no question about it. He should be the Martins extension candidate. And he's young, he's he's still I know, he's got years left. So maybe the Marmins want to play those out. But when you have a guy like Joe Mack and you have catcher and you have the opportunity to extend a young player, and not just this extended for the baseball stuff of it, but just for like the fact that it would win over a fan base. You know, that's that's something that you'll do.
Speaker 5: What I will say about Joe mack He's actually he's thrown out sixteen runners trying to steal so far this year, which is just incredible. I think he's got to be one of the most valuable assets that the team has had in a very long time in terms of just age, arbitration status, how much money he's making, and immediate impact to their major league team. I know ELI put out a piece a while ago the most valuable players in the whole organization major League in Minor League two, and I Thomas White was up there at twenty twenty three. Yeui Price, for example, would be high up there.
Speaker 4: But Joe Mack.
Speaker 5: Holy the Marlins have a real diamond here, and I don't know if they'll be able to extend him. I'm not sure if you do it just to win over a fan base, you don't do that either. However, this is he has not looked overmatched in the major leagues, and the slightest maybe he is adjusting back to major league pitching after he looked a little bit overwhelmed in his first month or so, and he's adjusted back. We'll see what happens when the league adjusts back as well. But he has just looked so comfortable behind the dish in every facet of catching and as well in the batter's box that he looks just as good as he did in Triple A and hitting wise. So if you had a real valuable guy here, and it's said, gonna be really curious to see what they do with him. Remember, he was a high school catching draft picks, so those are usually rare, so they do. He's pretty young, and if they didn't want to extend him, it would be swell. But they have him through twenty twenty, twenty thirty three. So yeah, like I said, I think one of the most valuable assets that this team has had in a long time.
Speaker 1: Valuable assets are expensive assets, too, so it would take a pretty I would assume a pretty big number to extend them. I don't know, maybe this early on, but if he keeps doing what he's doing, you know, maybe in a year it's gonna get tough.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's part of my off season Polueprint who extend him before his debut, And I don't think there was a whole lot of people on the same boat with me with that, given that Gus was already at the major league level and that Mac had had some inconsistencies in his minor league career. To me, it always made a lot of sense. Although the interesting complication is that it's gonna be very hard to find another catcher that you really love if it's not him. If he's not the guy, they're so few alternatives that reach the open market because the other side of that coin is that this is a position that ages more quickly than most others once guys are free and eligible. In his case, he'd be reaching free agency right around I think his thirtieth birthday, right after he turned thirty, and catchers, a lot of catchers are already well into decline. Like some of them, their peak just doesn't align with the typical position players, just due to the physical demands of the position, where a lot of guys, once they are free agent eligible at the catcher position, they're just not all that interesting. It will be a long time between before somebody gets like the average annual value that real Muto God is a free agent, he was kind of a big exception to that norm. But for most guys, you look at free agency almost every year, and the catcher lists are guys that you consider more so as backups, are guys that we don't fully trust defensively anymore, ones that are closer to a part time DH. I remember when Mitch Garver was a free agent a few years ago and Marlins fans are so excited about Mitch Garver, Mitch Carver, Mitch Garver, and he ends up getting like a modest two year deal from the Mariners and ends up really underperforming even that deal, And that was like the jewel of the available catchers that year. And of course the excepdment even before that for Jacob Stallings, and they traded for Jacob Stallings and he was ready into his early thirties and his career immediately imploded once they acquired him at that stage. So with that being said, they already have control over him through his entire twenties, and that kind of takes away some of the urgency to extend him. But again, with all that being said, I was on this page. I was on this train even before he debuted. I think that he is exceptional enough that you really want to buy out as much of his entire career as possible. I think he is a very well rounded player, not a perfect player, still gonna have some limitations in the batting average department and therefore the on base department, but the defense has been exactly as good as advertised. Today's pass ball notwithstanding, I don't think people are gonna remember that. They're gonna remember the Fairbanks struggling and Baker struggling. They're not gonna remember Joe Mack behind the plate in the ninth inning making things a little bit more tense than he needed to be. He's an awesome defensive player, really under he really gets it, I think in more ways than one. So, yeah, they're in good shape that they have him. It's a It really is a such a dramatic change, even from a year ago. Just because you trust him defensively at the position first and so far as beginning, you a lot of extra value with the bat as well. So it's been it's been. Yeah, he's overperformed, if that was possible.
Speaker 2: One other thing that we may forget about this last game, that just happened, and this is the last thing that we'll get to. We could be brief on this, guys before we hit the Seattle, and we'll be brief on that too before a prediction time. But one more thing I want to get to that people may forget, is it Jacob Marcy is injured. He got hit by a pitch in this game and it looked like it went off his knee or something, and he was removed from this game. So I already wanted to talk about Marci, you know which I mean to his credit has looked slightly better in his last couple of the bats, but it's still a struggle a lot of times that he's at the plate, so he's had a whole first half to do it. I hope he's okay, and he's not like he can come back and he's okay for this upcoming series. We'll find out on that. But I did want to hit on him regardless, you know, if he does have to go to the Ale or not. I guess if he does, it's even more of a point to bring up what do the Marlins do with that position? Which is a hole? Not defensively it's not a hole, but offensively, that position is a true hole right now with how Draco Marci is still struggling. So if the Marlins are true buyers at the deadline, is this a position that they address to get Marcie the time he needs in the miners And and you know, is it a priority for them? And can they fill it? And who would they fill it with? So, Isaaca, I'll hit with you on this. I know you're you're always up on the roster move talk and tree talk and stuff like that. So I want to I want to ask you that is this a priority for them? I mean, this is still a player that can be good. Yes, I think it's a player that needs to figure it out in the miners, as do a few others. I mean, he's been given the whole first half and he's still not very good at the play offensively. Defensively different story, he's very good. The Marlins in the system, as you know, don't have a lot of true center fielders close unless you rush cam Canerella, which I don't think they will do. So would they look outside of the organization for a center fielder at the deadline?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, most certainly they won't be looking to replace that position this deadline anyway, maybe in the offseason you could look at a stopgap option. But I do know that they're very, very fond of their double A outfield with Jones, Lewis, and Kinderella. I think at least one of those will be big League ready by next year, probably not Lewis, And so to me, they're not worried in the slightest about Marcy's still I think he has sort of tempered their expectations coming off that awesome August and I'm not going to say second half because it really just was the month of August that was spectacular for Marcie. In this case, he's still getting on base a little bit, he's still providing value on his defense, still providing value on the bases. However, Yeah, it is he is certainly the weak link in that lineup most of the time against right handed pitching that Marlins have brought him down from ladoff spot in the number three spot all the way down to seven to eight regularly now, so you're seeing them sort of lose a little bit of faith there. But I think he's still their guy. He's going to be their guy throughout the rest of the season, no doubt.
Speaker 4: About it.
Speaker 5: I don't see them demoting him, and I don't see them going outside the organization for any outfielders. To be honest with you, I think, like I said, they're really really fun of those Double A outfielders they have in Pensacola, and I think this is a good problem to have that, Hey, one of your twelve position.
Speaker 4: Players that are good is not playing so well. So I think they're okay with what's going on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like we will talk about the minor league zoning enough, and I think it's the time we do, because Kim Canerella is on a here like that guy has done to Double A and feels like he knows the level perfectly. He's been almost perfect. Like, we choose a prospect of the week every week, and Kim Canerella should get it again this week, if I'm being totally honest with you, at the rate he's going, but just to be fair, we have to choose a different guy. We're gonna choose a different guy each week. I think Carver would agree with that. But at the rate that this guy's going, what else does this guy have to prove in Double A? And I guess we could pose the question all of you guys, like, if he keeps this up and you know, the defense is good, Like, at what point do you think this guy should be a major leaguer because like it's a legit question to ask at the rate that he's going, and it's not like he's striking out thirty percent of the time or anything like, like he's walking, he's getting on base. The powers there, you know, the powers actually like an added thing that you'd love to see. But like the Hitsol has been great since he's got to the Marlins. The injuries have been the big issue with him, and he's been healthy for over a month now, I think, so, like Carver, if you want to go, but like this, this is like, this is a guy who you could probably promote the triple A. And you can even make the argument that he could jump Triple I straight to the digs at the rate that he's going, because we've already discussed this many times. The actual competition level from double to triple is not the biggest or you know, but like, if the Marlins find themselves in a position where they need they need to address this position somehow. If Marcia keeps struggling and Ruiz really isn't the answer there. Kim Catarella is an option for this team.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I would agree with isaca Is that it would be a very short term answer if they did decide to go outside of the order, because they are very high on all three of those guys. I think that that two of those guys, Trimble and Lewis will be corner guys, whereas I think Canerella will be a true center fielder. So and he's close. So I mean, is there a real reason to go Rent right now? I mean, if you really think you're in contention, you could go Rent Dalton varshow But I don't think they will either. But I have that question post to me a couple of times, what do you do with Marcy? And I would agree withize. I think that they will make do with him there without sacrificing those great, those great prospects that they were very high on. So I don't know if anybody else any other thoughts on that before we go to a final break.
Speaker 6: Yeah, really quick, Carver, Yeah, if it comes down to Marcie, he's played all the time. I mean, now we're approaching the All Star break. I mean, so first half of the season, it's ben Jacob Marcy, So why would they kind of try to move on from him as a starter right now? They know they're contenders, but it's not a priority because they do believe that the value he brings defensively outweighs the offensive production. And I do think that is gonna come a time when the offensive production starts to elevate itself. I mean, it really can't get much worse, you would assume, but you know that the Marlins we talked about Owen Casey earlier and potentially sending him down, they want to see these young guys work through their struggles at the major league level, which I can get behind. In a lot of cases. We've talked about third base. I think that's the position that they're gonna attack this trade deadline rather than center field, because Marcy does provide defensive value there regardless of you know, the hit tool. Right now, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 7: I think you guys touched on that pretty well. But yeah, a whole lot more to cover on Marcie once we know about the severity of this contusion. If they're labeling it a contusion, that means it's usually a sigh of relief usually suggests that he should be back on the other side of the off day, but we'll have to find out as it goes along. So back on the other side of this breaking just a moment after a word from are friends at fand.
Speaker 11: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opten required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount see terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: Putting the most unsatisfying sweep behind us and looking ahead to Seattle Mariners for a three game series starting what d after tomorrow.
Speaker 10: I think.
Speaker 2: It will be a Mariners team that I don't think you can classify this as anything more than or other than disappointing for their fans. I mean, this high powered offense that they thought they had coming into this season with cal Raley and Julio Rodriguez and Josh Naylor. Their best hitter is Luke Rayley. So I mean, there's there's one thing I want to highlight about this offense, and that is just this astronomical fall off of cal Raley. I mean, coming off of a sixty plus home run season at this point in the season. Last year, cal Raley had twenty three home runs and was hitting two sixty seven. That's through fifty eight games. I know he was injured, so I just did it through fifty eight games, And through fifty eight games this year he has not home runs in a taking one sixty one. So this a guy that that that almost won an MVP over the great, one of the best hitters in the league is now one of the worst hitters in baseball. That is something I don't think we have seen in a very long time. So, Eli, can you put into perspective this season so far for cal Rawly, it's been pretty bad.
Speaker 7: Yeah. The boring way to put into perspective is that if you average out last season and what he's done so far this year, it looks pretty similar to his career numbers, where he's a over. If you combine those two seasons, he's still a good offensive catcher and one that has somewhat suppress batting average but a ton of power and uh so from one aspect, I think that is, even though it's a boring answer for a GAT that has a decent major league track, occurred in terms of length to this point, he's kind of shown us who he was prior to last year. Last year was pretty far out of line with who he had been the previous half decade with the guy that had earned that extension. That was a big extension that made him. I think that at this moment that he's now the highest paid catcher in the game with a real muto having graduated to a smaller contract in decline, but one that seemed not totally crazy, and that looks like a bargain initially, and now it looks like somewhat of a long term concern, if not fair at the very best. So I think that's a boring answer, is that there were still these lingering concerns. As amazing as a run as he went on last year, where for the vast majority of the season like he was, he was mashing like to reach those kind of numbers, it still didn't feel like he was suddenly going to be that guy permanently moving forward, and that this year has just been a crazier auto. What's where I'm looking more regression to the mean, more more severe than anybody could have envisioned from from his standpoint. But I think that just is the way that things go sometimes, especially there's injury involved. He did have an oblique injury. What late May is when he finally won the IL with that, and he missed a few weeks. Now he's back. He did hit a home run very recently to show that he still does have that potential to do so, but he has his overall mechanically out of sync and I think almost certainly physically is tying into that with the fact they've had such bad results. So he's Yeah, it's a fascinating shift. I think it again, going back to the Joe mac discussion, it's why these catchers are not all that common of an extension candidate, just because how much the offensive production can oscillate from year to year due to some other factors that go involved with that position that sometimes, you know, disrupts what you can actually do at the plate just because you have a whole lot more on your plate than just what you're doing offensively. So he's kind of a prime example, somewhat of a cautionary tale in terms of getting too excited about a catcher for any stretch of time, just because of how rapidly things can change. He'll bounce back, but for the Marvelin's sake, hopefully it's a little while longer. Hopefully it's there's a chance it might not happen until twenty twenty seven. I do think he still has a terrific career in front of him, though, But this is just one of those years where everything that can go wrong for him on an individual level has gone wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you said that volatility with the position too and an injury mixed in. Hasn't ever really gotten going this year and hopefully he doesn't do that in this series. But another guy there's been volatility with is an old friend of ours, mister Josh Naylor. This guy, uh, I mean, he's done this before in his career too, where he follows up a fantastic year with a with a bad year from twenty twenty three into twenty twenty four is kind of a similar story for him. So, Jeremiah, I'll go to you on this. Is this just him showing that again? Is this just this streaky player? Because the Mariners gave him a hell of a lot of money for him to be underperforming, so was one of the highest priced free agents past offseason. The Mariners brought him back and brim pretty underwhelming so far for Josh Naylor, who's sitting at two fifty one three twelve and an under four hundred slogging percentage for a true power hitter. So, yeah, is is Naylor a streaky player? Or can he get past this this season?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think it's fair to describe him as streaky just in the lack of power that he's shown. I know, Seattle's a very tough ballpark to hit in, but there Seattle's camp was obviously confident that he was going to perform This year just hasn't happened. Like like Eli said earlier about Kyle Raley, it's just one of those years where doesn't feel like anything is clicking. Now, the Mariners are still in position to there's still a possibility that Naylor figures it out, that cal Raley figures it out, but it's got to happen for the stretch run, and luckily they're pitching has kept them alive. Do I do I still think that Naylor has it in him. Yes, I do. It's just that ballpark is hard to hit. I mean, we saw that with you Hennio Sworrez last year, even when he came over from the from the Dbacks at the trade deadline. So Naylor, it could be a little bit of both. But you know, at least the average is in a manageable spot. It's not like he's completely fallen off the face of the earth.
Speaker 2: What the Marriers do have is pitching, whether it be in the bullpen or in their rotation. The Marlins will see that in this series. I mean their pitching has been damn damn good. I mean their team ERA is three point four to eight, or was before today. I'm sorry. Their team here is three point five to nine, which is like third best or fourth best in baseball. The Bullpenny ARA is three point four eight, which is third best in baseball. So I mean they're carried by what Gilbert Wu, Kirby Hancock, all these pitchers are damn good. So that's kind of how they are two games over five hundred. They've built that up mostly from within, so pretty cool to see them do that from within. I'm aways a fan of that, of course, as a fan of the Marlins, were fans of teams that kind of build from within so quick, hit real quick on their pitching staff, You're like, go ahead.
Speaker 7: Yeah, projected. It hasn't been a scheduled yet from their side, but most likely we'll see Jesus, I guess it could be Hancock and Kirby and Wu. The way that is, it will probably Kirby Wu and Rice Miller, who sort of faded to the background. I think he's been overshadowed by those other guys in previous years. Bryce Miller coming off the IL at the start of the year. He's been their best pitcher, one available like. He has a one to seven to one ERA this year in nine appearances. Most recent one was seven almost perfect endings, almost perfect, not quite Uriar level, but seven endings, two hitter against the Angels a few days ago. Yeah, the Marlins are going to see some of that, the very best pitching that they have to offer those guys that really it has been a highly unusually successful run to have the same core of guys on the starting rotation be there, be available for the most part, with a few injury exceptions, a year after year after year. Now for the better part of four years, it's been kind of the same handful of guys that are making almost all their starts. So they've been fortunate on that end, or you could say maybe there's something deeper down going on there in terms of how they're keeping everybody healthy and consistent. But that's been the core of their team. That's why they've been having a winning record for each of these last several years, and that's why that was so important, of course for them to make such a playoff run as they did last season. The deepest playoff run that the franchise had had in almost a quarter century. That starting pitching has been top of mind when it comes to this team. So the Marlins are going to be tested directly against some of the very best that they have to offer. And it's been a bit of a contrast from the Marlins, who have had very good starting pitching on the top end on and off these the last few years. But rotation depth is pretty consistently a question as it is even right now for the team. So that's it is an interesting contrast. The one of their elements to this I wanted to point out is that the Marlins do have a better record than the Mariners, the Mariners who happened to lead the American League West. That is something that continues to the top of mind is that if the Marlins were in a different, different division right now, the level of excitement I think would be even higher just considering where they would be. The realistic chance that they have to actually win a division. This Ale West has been up for grabs all year long. People went into the year assuming the Mariners were significant favorites, and so for the moment they're clinging to a small lead. And I would say that the average person would still expect them to be the most likely team to come out of that, but they haven't pulled away from the rest of the division the way that I think a lot of people envisioned that they would. So one other element to that for this series. Julio Rodriguez's on the concussion il, so I believe he's going to be ineligible for these next few games. That's going to be just another small thing in the Marlins favor is that they're not quite facing a full strength Mariners team. Not only do they have to they're going through those guys we've already highlighted that are slumping and underperforming their career norms, but Julio Rodriguez, who you know, from my opinion, would probably be their best overall player on a year in a year out basis, he's not going to be available for them. So that's going to be just one other thing to keep in mind over these next three games.
Speaker 2: From Marlin's side of things. They also will have the benefit of getting a little healthier with I think we expect Jansen Junk to pitch the Wednesday game. I guess it could be Braxton, but I think Junk's last rehibouting went fine, so you know, I think that he will be healthy enough to return that day. Should also see All Star Max Meyer in the first game if things line up.
Speaker 7: And yeah, that's the one thing that's already been like a penciled in officially as Max is starting on Tuesday. Yeah, and yeah, and another element to bring up with Max is that he's an All Star, of course, but if you pitch the Sunday before the All Star Break, you're actually ineligible no matter what, to pitch in the game itself. As things line up, if he's pitching on Tuesday, his regularly scheduled start after that will be on Sunday, the final pre All Star Break game. We'll be curious to see how that like unfolds. I mean, they don't have room to play everybody in the All Star Game anyway, But the way that it's trending right now, it looks like Max won't actually be pitching in the All Star Game just because of the way that this schedule lines up for.
Speaker 2: Him still being there. It's gonna be great for him, So pitching the games that matter, I'm cool with that. Yeah, I think we're up against the DULI. We're thirteen minutes over. So I know we went a little long on Uri, but we do want to get to prediction time, our favorite segment of the show. So hopefully the Martins keep this going. We are catching, uh, you know, catching back up into Miami. Well, of course I have coverage there from Fish on First and the Marlin's riding high after that, that high scoring effort against the age. So catching a good pitching staff at a good time, will they win the series? And how many games will they win? Hit that now in prediction.
Speaker 7: Time, Yeah, we'll find out in just a minute. Of course, we got a shout out as always our friends at Jetski Rentals of South Florida. They present all of our podcast efforts here on Fish on First, Miami's best jet ski in boat adventures Jetske Rentals of South Florida with six jit ski locations in over one hundred and twenty boats, there's something for every style and every budget. Right Jetski's riding from the Downtown Skyline and ferris Wheel, or book your own private boat starting as love as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy.
Speaker 2: The water your way.
Speaker 7: The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based only to book called three oh five nine to nine two two or check them out online at sf jet ski rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code fish on and that gets you a ten percent discount off your next booking. Again, that's three h five nine nine oh two one nine two or online at sfjsk rentals dot com. This is prediction time.
Speaker 4: That's my prediction.
Speaker 7: But who knows?
Speaker 2: Can the Marlins keep it going after a sweep against the A's and an overall successful West Coast road trip. Coming back to learn Depot to welcome in the well well off in the pitching department, Mariners not so much offensively. Marlins have Max Jansen and I'm guessing Tyler Phillips as their pitchers against what is been not a great offense. So I think catching this team at a really good time. But do we think they'll win the series? Jeremiah, I will go to you first. Are they winning the series again?
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with yes. I think they take two out of three. This offense is on fire. Auto Lopez is on fire at a Berto Hernandez on fire Marlins win two out of three Mariners pitching it's good. But this Marlins team, man, they're legit and they're gonna find a way to win this series. Auto Lopez MVP.
Speaker 2: Great picks, Great picks. I'm gonna agree. I'm gonna say that the Marlins are catching this team at a really good time on fire offensively, as he said, Jeremiah, and I think that if the pitching falters, they'll do enough against the good pitching team to battle out. I think some close games, but I think that they will win this series two games to one. And let's go with the other All Star. You picked one, I'm gonna pick the other. The one. Max Meyer is going to be your series wp HM.
Speaker 7: As usual, I'll find a way to twist it negative when things start going oh so well for this Marlins team, I'll have them losing two out of three to Seattle over these next three games that I think Seattle does have the high enough upside what they're pitching, the few rare talents that I think can actually silence this red hot Marlins offense for if not an entire game at a time, then most endings at a time. And I do like the back end of their pen very much as well, more so than the Marlins at this particular moment. So I'll have Seattle winning two out of three in closely contested games, with Marlins offense coming back down to earth a bit. And for a series MVP, I'll go with Dominic Canzone, who's having a great year for this Mariners team, probably their best overall hitter when he gets into the lineup, a guy that strongly prefers to face right handed pitching, and the Marlins have so much right handed pitching guys that, as we've seen just the last couple of days, when they're on top of their game, it doesn't matter left you're righty who you are, they can mow you down. So that's something they keep in mind. But in a series where we're not going to see Sandy and we're not going to see Uri, I think Canzone is going to be very comfortable and do quite a bit of slugging to push Seattle over the top.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: See which of us are correct one of us will be in terms of who wins the series, so we'll see. I think I think it'll be a highly contested series, So I'm actually pretty excited for this one, but that will do it for us on today's show. Thanks for jesting that series with us, which it was a great, great series, sleep but just a little bit sour at the end of it. But they're looking ahead and I'm gonna see what they can do against the Mariners. We'll have folks there covering it. Got some cool stuff coming up on the podcast as well, so stay tuned for that. Excited about all that stuff as well, so stay tuned to our coverage wherever you guys are getting it. Appreciate you staying tuned to this one as we went a bit over time but had a lot to talk about, so for now on this one for myself, Alex, for Eli, Jeremiah, great work at the park this series again, Jeremiah was awesome following along with you. Congrats for getting there as well. Glad to have West Coast coverage so that was cool to see and we'll have more of that coming up as the Marlins in part on this homestand here in Miami. So we'll be back with you at the end of this series as we look ahead to what I think is going to be the final series before they all start break coming up against the Guardians, I believe it is, so we'll be there for that one as well, So tune again, tune in again, that to that one on Fish on First Live. That's it this one. We'll see you guys guy again soon on Fish on First Live, presented by Jetsky Runs of South Florida of course, always on the Foul Territory Network. Appreciate you all, Take care, go Fish