Speaker 1: It's not policed. Teams don't punish guys for that, Teams don't devalue guys for that.
Speaker 2: Here we go with Merrifield joining us right now from the best golf clubhouse in home Baseball.
Speaker 3: Uh wait, good to see you, man.
Speaker 2: I know you're a big football guy too, so I actually want to start here because after this weekend it's baseball talk. So what do you think the NFL does well that MLB can take a page from. And I'll just bring up a couple concepts to get your take on and obviously offer whatever else.
Speaker 3: I'm good to see you, dude. But they have a neutral site for their.
Speaker 2: Championship game that's actually been talked about in the past, like can we do a day or two of the World Series and then run the rest of it?
Speaker 3: Just throwing it out there.
Speaker 2: I know that's an easy note for most players, but that or anything else that comes to mind with the NFL, and there amazing parody actually that they offer with that salary cap, which I know will open up a can of worms for you.
Speaker 1: That's a good question, and honestly, I've really never thought about it. I think the the neutral site I think is is just a hard No, Football, I get it, it's one game. There's such a there's such an advantage being at your home site, So I get being neutral. But Baseball, I mean it's it's a little bit of advantage, not that much really really, the advantages in the playoffs. The crowd can be an advantage, but it's batting at the bottom of the the bottom of the inning. And besides that, I mean, I don't know, salary cap, I will, I will get into right now with you guys, that's a that's a whole other copie. But I don't know. I mean, they do a good job of promoting the game. I think we do as well. I just think it's it's just different. You know, we play one hundred and sixty two games. Our Tuesday one point thirty game just doesn't hold the same value as a Sunday night football game. It just doesn't. So it's hard, it's hard to compare the two sports. But football is always trying to improve Basketball is we are, Golf is you know, every every every sports always trying to improve their products and make it better for the fans.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait, you said neutral site for the playoffs will be bad? Right, But we could have that scenario. If the ath Is of Sacramento or the Tampa area Rays from the Steinbrenner Field make the playoffs, they've come out and said most likely they're not going to play in those fields.
Speaker 1: I'm okay with that. I mean, that's a little bit of a unique situation. But you know, I don't I think you might really wants to go to Sacramento and to play play off game. So I'm okay with finding something else out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but think about it when if you signed with one of those teams, you've played in front of those fans the entire year.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hear what you're saying, but uh, I don't know. I mean, it'd be almost being a college basketball fan, I am. It could be like almost like going to a Cameron indoor stadium, you know where it's not the biggest stadium, but maybe it's the craziest because it's small and there's people on top of you. I don't know, I don't know. I haven't honestly haven't thought about that. I haven't thought about it. What if, uh, Sacramento where Tampa next to the playoffs? I don't I don't know the answer to that, but I mean, MLB is gonna want to have as many people in the game as they can, so they're gonna want to take a sales up. So I'm sure they'll try to move it to bigger, bigger venue. I don't know. I don't know what they're gonna do.
Speaker 5: When we talk about free agency, been a part of it, you're being a part of it. Everybody is. You hear the rumors, the speculations, you get the calls. You know, do you try and stay out of that or you want to hear every little thing that's going on because it is your livelihood at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Last year, I tried to I tried to stay in loop with what was going on. It was my first time going through it, and so I I I tried to stay I guess, in touch with with what people of the rumors that were being circulated, but also you know, with my agent, who who would who he had talked to, which a lot of times didn't line up with you know, what you're hearing online or on TV or whatever it may be. And then comes out Philly calls me last minute and within a week the deal's done. And they were never on the radar, So I've going gone into this offseason in a different spot because I didn't have the year last year that I had the the year before in Toronto, so the expectation, I guess wasn't the same. But also I've learned that you never know who's gonna call. It doesn't matter what you're hearing or what you're you're just telling you. Somebody can call last minute. So I've just kind of not really paid much attention to it. I answered calls from my agent when he calls me, obviously.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just kind of been a lot more relaxed in this offseason, which has been nice.
Speaker 2: Hey, Valentine's Day is coming up, and we have the recommendation for you to check out right now. Don't wait, it's one eight hundred flowers dot com. This year, we're partnering with one eight hundred Flowers to make sure you're a Valentine's legend with an exclusive offer for the ft fam. It's double the roses for free. When you buy one dozen, They're gonna double your bouquet to two dozen roses.
Speaker 3: It's the perfect way to wow her without breaking the bank. One eight hundred Flowers always delivers. Let them dominate this holiday. It's what they do best.
Speaker 4: Think about everyone in your fam that deserves some love. On Valentine's Day, I sent a bouquet to my daughter at college and it lit up her day. I also added an awesome base to the order for so she's got it all.
Speaker 2: All roses from one eight hundred Flowers are picked at their peak, cared for every step of the way, and shipped fresh to ensure lasting beauty. Don't wait think ahead this year. Make it easy and get that deal right now. When you order one dozen, they'll double the rose bouquet for free. That's the ft deals that we're always looking out for. Go to one eight hundred flowers dot com slash ft. That's one eight hundred flowers dot com slash ft.
Speaker 4: Do you look at teams that have openings like yourself? Or you ever just scrolling on the pooper and like looking at it, like I wonder who doesn't have a I feel like playing getting six hundred and fifty at backs as a second basement, screw this utility thing, Like who doesn't have a second basement?
Speaker 1: Do you ever do that?
Speaker 4: Or do you look at even like like the most recent signing and we're just talking about yo on Mankata got five million. You're like, I feel like I.
Speaker 1: Could get that, Like I'm I'm like, I'm out on the field. It's hard. I mean, that's that's that's hard to not compare when you see guys get certain contracts and you try to compare yourself to them. I mean that that's just human nature to do. But I don't put a whole lot of value in it because certain teams see players certain ways. But one don't scroll the poopers bad for you. Don't do that, get it, get in, get out what you're getting. Hemorrhoids, You're done catching. You don't need hemorrhoids anymore.
Speaker 4: Doesn't have hemorrhoids. Okay. And what is because you sit there? Just because you sit.
Speaker 1: There longer, Hey, that's what happens. Man, read the book.
Speaker 4: I haven't reading a book.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm in there so long. Yeah, exactly. Uh. But before I got before, I got on about some some uh, some of the chronic stuff that goes on in and that's something I've really taken pride in in my career, and I don't think it gets valued like it should. Is Guys that are on the field, guys that stay on the field, and it's honestly, I feel like now that I'm thirty six, I haven't spent a day on the IL when there are times that I could have. I honestly looked back and like, did I do it wrong? Because there were times when I was on the field, maybe not at one hundred percent, but it felt like it was my job to be out on that field that maybe took away from I guess the kind of player that or the numbers wise, you know what I could have done if I just would have got But I've gone on the IL and not come back till one hundred percent healthy, and I don't think that's right, but I feel like that's the way certain teams are are valuing guys and paying guys because of sheer wrong numbers. So I heard you guys talking before I came on here, and I just wanted to address that because it's kind of bothered me a little bit over the last couple of years that I've kind of reflected on that and been like, man, I don't doesn't seem bright.
Speaker 4: Hit on that a little bit. I don't know how much you heard because I was kind of going against Scott saying I don't believe. I'm not saying everybody can't, but like the chronic part of it, like how much did you put in to stay on the field. You said, I'm very proud of not spending any time IL, and Michael Young was the exact same way, he was very proud of not spending time on the IL.
Speaker 1: In his career.
Speaker 4: How much do you put into that? And do you feel like, obviously you can't blanket statement everybody in and on once you mentioned people, but do you feel like guys don't put enough time in to staing off the IL position players?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I feel like it's it's not it's uh, it's not viewed in a positive light. It's not it's not appreciated when guys are on the IL. It's if a guy is and this happens throughout the league on every team, But when a guy starts struggling, you're never you're never gonna feel a hundred percent, especially after what spree training is over. You got that maybe first series of adrenaline of opening weekend and then you're not one hundred percent ever, And you know when guys starts struggling, you feel little Nixon Nacs that are everyone feels, and you can lean into that a little bit if you feel like, Okay, well let me, let me take a couple of weeks off and get this wrist right, or get this foot right, or get this hamstring right. Call it getting it right. But really I just need to take a take a breakaway or take a step away and reset, and then when I come back, maybe this funk I'm in will be over. And you see it all the time, and and that's just it's not it's not right, but it's not policed. Teams don't don't punish guys for that. Teams don't devalue guys for that. It's it's almost the opposite. It's like, if it works for the guy, Okay, well, this guy's numbers were good. He had five hundred at bats when he should have had six hundred and fifty at bats. But his ops and all these you know, his WRC plus, they were all good. Okay, Well when he started to slide, he got away. And so that's why I look back and I'm like, man, maybe I played the system wrong. And I hate I hate that. I hate I hate feeling like that because it's not what I think. How the game should be played, but no, it's a good call doing it wrong.
Speaker 2: So raid stats are valued much more now than counting stats versus even ten years ago. Right where they're like, Okay, I want to know what this player is doing on a per game basis, and I don't care that he gave me one, you know, sixty or whatever. Right, there's actually one step further from this too. And I like parts of this because I think it helps certain players get out of slumps, and they've talked about it.
Speaker 3: Hey, bad bad at ball.
Speaker 2: Luck we're looking at your peripherals and it says that you actually should be much better. And I think parts of that are good, But there are other parts of that that point to players who never actually reach those expectations and just aren't that good, and they become, for lack of a better term, like a sabermetric darling. Right, we've seen players like that. I'm not going to throw certain names out there right now, but I don't know. That's my take on how the game has changed. And then I think players try to adjust to the way that front offices are evaluating things.
Speaker 3: Right where they're like.
Speaker 2: Okay, they don't care if I play as much. Then I'm just gonna, you know, say that something's bothering me and miss a couple weeks like you're saying, and it's not being valued that you actually need that player on the field because the backup is going to give you much worse production.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think to this the way the game is the way that front offices are approaching the game. Got mandatory off days, and from the time these guys are in the minor leagues, if you're a top prospect, you're playing like, I think they played six games a week that you're playing like four and you're getting two days, two mandatory days off something like that. So you're kind of bred from the time you're young that it's not normal to play every day. It's not normal to go through a full season. And there's in every sport you're you're seeing that you're seeing load management days in the NBA and uh maybe not so much the NFL or football, but yeah, it's it's different, different mentality of going about playing this day and eight this day and age. And I hate to sound like an old guy, but I was always under you know, there's a famous Wally Pip story that's always stuck with me. And it took me a long time to get to the big leagues, and once I got there, I didn't want to take a day off and I don't want this guy that's working in triple A to to come take my job, to have a chance to come up and go four for four with two homers. And now it's like, okay, well maybe it's not the guy. And you know, I wanted to get in the door, get my get my foot in and never never give it up. And that's not really I guess the the common mentality anymore, which is, like I said, maybe I'm in the wrong, but it's it's different.
Speaker 4: I don't believe you are. I don't believe you are. Keep keep grinding until they take the jersey from you, not not sitting in the tub until they give you your jersey back. But I got a question for you now. I want you to turn a little bit to the left so the light hits you pretty good like this, you see all grace, No no, no, no, no, grace, I don't see it. I was looking at you because the Yankees, the Yankees need a second basement. Would you be willing to shave that because I've never seen that face like smooth, smooth shave, Like are you okay with that role? Like if the Yankees are like, hey, we need a second baseman, Chris.
Speaker 1: We played together when I had to shave my face, You shaved it.
Speaker 4: It was never it was never killing it would play together.
Speaker 1: No, it was never. You never you always have that you always.
Speaker 4: That was the one rule that you bent in Olmaha had had it bent. Look at that face you are. You're You're like a constant five o'clock shadow.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, craft he's killing you.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. I mean, yeah, no, I my wife would would love for me to have to shave my face. Mandatory for me to shave my face every day. You would love that.
Speaker 3: So so w to the Yankee tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I did it twenty twenty twenty two when I was really scuffling. Yeah, I'll clean twenty and uh, I think it was towards the end of my time in Kansas City and then uh, first little bit in Toronto, I was, I was, I was full clean.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right? Last one? Who won your towny who?
Speaker 1: Since we haven't had you on what? What? Which ones?
Speaker 4: Did you come up with a division that you could win for yourself? This time again where you're like, oh, here's my trophy.
Speaker 1: No, you got it. You can't do it every year, then nobody will show up, so you have to kind of hear it, you know. Yeah, Aaron Hicks won the gross division, so he was the best golfer there. He's nasty, he's so good, so good. And then Jackson Stevens won the net division, so he was kind of a last minute ad as well. So that was good for him that he he won.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 4: And how do you do? How did you do?
Speaker 1: My game is not great right now. You know, I got a little baby over there, and she's taken away from from my golf. So sure I'll have to tell her about it when she gets older. How much she hurt my golf game these years.
Speaker 4: I'm sure she's gota care this much.
Speaker 3: Yeah much, Crats lower it here, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: Thanks, thanks for coming on, and I'll take care of my hemorrhoids later. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: There you go, Crat saying goodbye. Wait, good to see you. We'll catch it in a few weeks.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, good to see fellas