Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome in episode one seventy six, What's Right with Nick Wright, our first true NFL reaction pod since we last talked. The Chiefs lost and amazingly, I don't even know if that's in the show. This is too much news to get to. I am in New York, Demanse in LA. Let's first get to what missed before we even there's Demanse's beautiful face before we hear from him. Let's tell you what missed from today's show. The Raiders, for possibly the first time in Demansey's life, are in sole possession of first place in the AFC West coach Prime's Buffalo's moved to two to zero in what was maybe a more impressive win than the win over TCU. And my girl Olivia Rodrigo drops a brand new album. Might have a little feud with Taylor Swift. I'm here for all of it. I've been reading up on this alleged feud. Now she's denying it, but I think there might be something there. However, it is a Monday in September, or a Tuesday, I should say in September, which means we have time for any of that. Instead, we must get to the football and the devastating news out of New Jersey last night. Demanse take us there.
Speaker 3: So obviously Aaron Rodgers got injured last night against the Bills. Folks are believing that it's a ruptured achilles. Uh what is your reaction, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Well, my immediate reaction is you're obviously devastated for Aaron. The I mean the human side of you says this is there. It is on the board that that was the last football game of his career. I know people don't want to talk about that or you know, think about that right now. But coming back from an achilles injury is a brutal rehab for anyone, for a guy who's about to turn forty. I listen, I am, I would my money be on that Aaron Rodgers that was the final play of his career. No, I don't think it's the likeliest outcome. Can you dismiss it as a possibility? Of course not. But so after you know the your heart goes out to Aaron. You obviously think these poor Jet fans, and I know Jet fans don't want to hear from me, and they're mad at me because I didn't believe in the team. And by the way, as maybe salt and the wound, the defense looked as advertised, the running game looked even better than even the most optimistic Jet fans could have hoped for. You got the win, which everyone's gonna be throwing this term around today, and they're correct. It is the definition of a pyrrhic victory. You win the battle, but you might have lost the war. And it is twenty four years ago today that Vinny Testaverdi blew his achilles, coming off what was at the time the best Jets season since Nameth the ninety eight team that went to the AFC title. Game, and then in Week one your quarterback pops's achilles and there is an element of is this franchise cursed? And you hate it? But it's just the reality. I shouldn't say the curses, the reality. That's what fans are feeling, and so I do impathize with them, and I empathize with Aaron. Now I will also say this, and maybe people don't want to hear this, but my job is to give my honest opinion. Is my honest opinion. While maybe a popt achilles was not, in fact, it wasn't foreseeable, even though if you remember rogers first practice with the Jets, it ended early.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, So it sounds like for his future, you think that it's you don't think it's super you think it's not super likely that he retires, but he will still end up playing if he can maybe get surgery and get through this.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean I think he'll. I think I think he'll try to come back next year. But I also what I also think is that to go back to what I was saying, sorry, we had a slight tech issue there is Rogers had a calf injury training camp. It's now the same leg where it looks like he popped his achilles. Again, we don't have the official confirmation, but that's what it's certainly that's what everyone is assuming has happened here. And if you remember, like when Kevin Durant popped his achilles, it started with a CAF injury, it led to this. But the other thing is watching that game and watching the four snaps Rogers played. The Jets failure to address their offensive line, which was why I was sounding the alarms all off season, was instantly an issue. Instantly he was under duress, and I listen. I like Dwayne Brown a lot, and Dwayne Brown, I'm sure feels sick that he got that he missed a cut block and Rogers got hurt. But you have a thirty eight year old left tackle blocking for a thirty nine year old quarterback in a division that has teams with fearsome pass rushes, where you play the Cowboys in Week two, Like, I just do not think this was going to end well. Now, it didn't have to end tragically, and so I feel sick for Rogers and for the Jets. I don't even know what you do for We'll talk about what you do this year in a moment. I know you want to ask me that demanse, but planning for next year, if Rogers wants to come back now, he will be a forty soon to be forty one year old coming off an Achilles injury. I just it doesn't get any worse than this, And the Achilles injury is a bit of a freak injury. You're soon to be forty year old quarterback buying a makeshift offensive line. Getting hurt is not occurrence, and it is. And even on the play that Rogers got hurt on, it's a cup block supposed to be boom boom out I think was Garrett Wilson didn't come open, so he was looking for someone. And it's just terribly unfortunate and you feel sick for everybody involved. But it should be noted like forty something year old quarterbacks get hurt when they're not named Tom Brady, Peyton Manning got hurt his second to last year and then suffered a major injury his final year. Drew Brees got hurt each of his final two years. Brett Favre with the Jets tore his bicept and then played through it. I old quarterbacks playing tackle football get injured, and it's it's not the time obviously for any I told you sos or anything. It's not what I'm trying to do. But that were skeptical about the Jets were skeptical. The biggest reason was is the offensive line going to hold up? And four plays into the season, Rogers suffers a season ending injury. It's brutal, just brutal. All right, what are your follow ups?
Speaker 3: Demanse? Uh? Do you you still think they can make the playoffs given how the defense and the running game looked? And also, do you think it's wait, actually you know it will wait for that one? Go ahead? Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, go ahead? Ask me both.
Speaker 3: Uh do you think that the Jets should call on Brady like you alluded to in your tweet?
Speaker 2: I think they gotta call somebody they got it. But here's the thing on the Brady part of it, and then I'll get to go ahead.
Speaker 3: Demanse Zach was I was, first of all, I think it's it's gotta suck mindset wise for these guys to still have won that game with Rogers being out, because I feel like it's going to make them think even more in a certain direction. But glad that they got to win. And Zach Wilson didn't look as bad as he looked last year. But he's still obviously not Aaron Rodgers, but and.
Speaker 2: He still looked he had a few Zach Wilson moments, the old roll right, throw left. You can't win with Zach Wilson, flatly, you just can't. So I brought up Brady because he's available. But here's the here's the thing about Brady, and this, to me kind of proves the initial point I was making. Let's say Brady sold his share of the Raiders and was allowed to come back. If the Jets called Tom Brady, he would say no. And you know why, because Brady would not play behind that offensive line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. You were saying old man blocking for old man quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: So like Brady would not correct. But everyone would be like, oh, Brady can't play behind that old line. Why they thought it would be a good idea for Rogers play behind that old line is crazy. Is just makes no sense to me. Now. Mike Tannenbaum mentioned Matt Stafford. If the Rams decide to turn in the tank direction, that's an interesting one. Making that work salary cap wise, and then giving up more draft capital for another agent quarterback. And that really is complicated if Rogers plans to come back next year, So I don't know if that's realistic. The free agent quarterbacks are Matt Ryan. We saw how that went in Indy, Carson Wentz. We've seen how that's gone everywhere. There are two names that if I were running the Jets, I would call about. The first one is Jamis. I would take a shot on Jamis. He's the backup in New Orleans. He's better than Zach Wilson, obviously, and you know he can make the throws. You hope he can avoid the turnovers. But Zach Wilson can't avoid the turnovers and he can't even make the throws and then the next one, and folks are gonna kill me for it. But if you remember the Jets last year, there was a half of one game that they brought in Chris Streveler, who was just running every play, and they actually looked half decent for like a half, and then it went to hell. I would maybe call the Cowboys about Trey Lance and say, you guys gave up a fourth round pick for him, We'll give you a fourth and a seventh. That way, you guys just made an all time smart trade. You just you had a guy for two weeks and you picked up a seventh round pick just for being the conduit. We are going to get him in the building and see if we can run with our defense in our running game by week eight and our po based attack, get him out there and had you know, and then even if Rogers wants to come back next year, that's fine, but you don't have good options. And again people are like, Nick, when are you gonna get over the Trey Lance thing. I am not saying he's good. I'm saying we have no idea. He's the same draft as Zach Zach Wilson went to. In that draft, Trey Lance went three. We know Zach Wilson's terrible. We don't know about Trey Lance. And with that running game, maybe that would make more sense, and to me that might be worth a flyer. But the short version of this demons is there, they have no good options. They have no good options now to your question, and for Trey it would be the best because he'd actually get to play. Now. I didn't think the Jets were gonna make the playoffs even with a healthy Rogers. Now, what I will say is that's a big win they got, and we'll see how much disarray the Bills are in. I also say, in the entire AFC, who looked awesome, the whole AFC, who looked awesome this weekend? The Dolphins and the Prince. That's it. The AFC North, which I thought was gonna be the worst division, the best division in football. Deshaun still can't throw, Lamar kind of still can't throw. Burrow threw for eighty yards and the Steelers got dog walked. The AFC South was worse than advertised, and it was advertised the worst division in football. The Chiefs lost, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, Jacks looked good all the way through. I could have sworn at one point it seemed like Indya was gonna win.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you listen, this is where the I think, I don't know if that was your own thing fails if you listen closely. I said, who looked great this weekend? The Dolphins and the Prince. I did not say the Jags looked great. I said the Prince looked great. So the Dolphins looked awesome, and Trevor Lawrence looked awesome. You're right. The Jags had a few mishaps. They still end up winning by ten and covering. Thank you. Uh so, I I don't think you can make the playoffs with Zach Wilson as your quarterback. I do think the AFC, everyone said all off season, I was one of them. AFC better than NFC by far. There were four demons cross conference matchups this weekend, NFC versus AFC. The NFC went four and up. As always, we know nothing except for on this next topic, where I have been the only person who has been right for two years, and I am going to take my god dogged vactory lap right now. Go ahead ask the question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean go ahead. Are the Bills you saw the game last night? Josh Allen obviously threw three picks the force of the fumble snap. Are the Bills screwed?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if the Bills are screwed, but I want to talk about Josh Allen because I have been called so many names forget by random people on Twitter, by colleagues. I'm trolling. I'm just trying to hot take for ratings. And by the way, it's Albert Breer tweeted twenty minutes ago. Quote, lots of people firing off takes on Josh Allen last night as if it's still twenty nineteen. He didn't play well, but the idea he's suddenly going to see who he's been the last three years is down right meronic. Here's the problem.
Speaker 4: I'll be with everyone that it is not that I and now.
Speaker 2: There's a whole group of people with me are pretending it's twenty nineteen. It's that the entirety of the media has pretended it's still twenty twenty. Twenty twenty. Josh Allen was undeniably awesome. His team was awesome. They made the AFC title Game in twenty twenty one. He was so not awesome that, in a year where even Mac Jones made the Pro Bowl as an alternate, he didn't. Now he was unbelievable in two playoff games, one of which his team lost, and because of that, everyone memory hold the entire year where he had a ninety two passer rating, which was good I think for seventeenan football. Since that playoff game against the Chiefs, Josh Allen has played nineteen games. He has thirty nine picks and fumbles in those nineteen Games thirty nine. I tweeted about it last night. After I tweeted about it, he fumbled twice on the same play.
Speaker 4: I said before the year, Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Was unquestionably one of the four best quarterbacks in football right now that and oh, it's hot takes right now this moment, one hundred dollars cash. If you can say with a straight face four quarterbacks better than him, you can't certain things. And everyone's like, Oh, how are you gonna say Trevor over Josh right now this moment? Who you want right now, this moment? Who you want for this year, this week, this decade. You know. The worst play Josh Allen made last night, it was not the first pick in the end zone. It was not the second pick in the end zone. It was not the third pick on the sideline. It wasn't the fumble in the fourth quarter. The worst play Josh Allen made was on third down at the end of the first half when he was eight yards from the first down marker with thirty seconds left, and he tried to hurdle two defenders and got power bombed like Vader in the WWE in the mid nineties.
Speaker 4: Like what are you doing? What's the plan there?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna hurdle two defenders for who? For what? So I can be seven yards short of a first down and then kick a field goal. The everyone is just now catching up that Josh Allen's ceiling is as high as any quarterback in the league not named Patrick Mahomes. But the floor is bad. And this morning what has been conventional wisdom from me for two years is now everyone's gonna be like, Hey, when are we gonna start talking about Josh Allen's turnovers? Catch up? It's been there and anyone today who after a You know, if you're listening to this on the way to work, whatever it is, maybe you're like demons or myself actually, and you enjoy after a hard day, maybe getting the game of Madden in grab the box and look who the cover athlete is and ask yourself, why why is Josh Allen on the cover of Madden. Jalen Hurts isn't. Joe Burrow isn't. The Prince isn't. Mahomes isn't. But he's been at twice so that's fine. Why because the media anointed him because he and I said it then and I will say it again. Josh Allen. The best win of his career was a loss, the thirteen second game against the Chiefs. He got more credit for losing that game then Patrick Mahomes got for winning that game, despite the fact that as great as Alan was in that game, who had more passing yards? Oh, Mahomes by fifty. Oh, but Josh Allen's a great runner. Really, yeah, he is. Who had more rushing yards? Holmes, who had more rushing touchdowns? Mahomes, who was up against the tougher defense, Mahomes.
Speaker 3: Is this the origin story of this whole Josh Allen anti thing?
Speaker 2: So here's the thing.
Speaker 4: No, it's the origin story.
Speaker 2: Is, as is often the case, I'm right and the rest of the media is late. That's the origin story. The origins. Listen, I have three types of takes. Undeniably correct in the moment, undeniably correct eventually, and cartoonishly wrong. That's it. Those are the three. Those are the only takes that you get from me. Typically you get the first two. Occasionally you get let me, how do I get this in the front of the camera. Occasionally you get never a doubt chieves twenty and oh tattoo. Steph will never get Steph will never make the finals again, Like say, there is there's no gray area, and the it just so sometimes it's Trevor Lawrence. What what? I'm just curious when the Jags were two and seven and I was still calling Trevor Lawrence the prince that was promised, saying his top five quarterback that take now falls into what category? Undeniably right eventually, adventure, undeniably right, eventually Caleb Williams right now being the third most valuable quarterback in the world. Guess what it's gonna fall into, undeniably correct eventually, Josh Allen being wildly overrated. When the discussion one year ago today, google it, you know what, Go to Google, go to Google News, or just go to regular Google and click on the tools tab, like where you can pick the time, pick September of twenty twenty two and type this in Josh Allen better than Mahomes and see how many articles one year ago today after that Rams Monday night or Thursday night football victory, we're saying he's QB one, He's the best quarterback in the world.
Speaker 3: So I've got a question, is, yeah, is this gonna be the last time you picked the Bills on the show.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean they screwed me. I mean I picked him to win. I had him in the picks, and I mean Aaron Rodgers goes out four snaps in and they can't even win that game. I'm give me a break, Buffalo. I mean, what a travesty.
Speaker 3: It's embarrassing, dude, But I'm just crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm just right now by the way, I'm stealing the Bills make the playoffs. People now are gonna go too far in the other direction. What you're gonna get to a is now this take? Who would you rather have? Josh Allen or Rock Party? Bro one guy takes got of the ball? No over. People will give that take. People will say that the Bills are gonna miss the playoffs. I won't give either of those takes.
Speaker 3: I won't give that take.
Speaker 2: Don't think which one.
Speaker 3: Rock Party I won? Brock Perty. I think Rock Party is actually good. I can tell you just you.
Speaker 2: Also think Daniel Jones is actually good? How'd that work out for you? Let's go to the next topic. Would we're gonna talk about it right here?
Speaker 3: Hey man, you're picked to win the NFC is looking great, obviously, My guy Daniel Jones is running for his life. Uh, Yet the forty nine ers looked unstoppable. Your lack of the week Pittsburgh didn't look unstoppable versus my guy, Brock Party Rock Party is my guy. By the way, Uh, you jink you jinked the forty nine ers last year and you worry? Are you worried you'll do the same with Dallas as year?
Speaker 2: No, listen, I don't believe in Jinx's even though Demons thinks he jinks. Odell and that I.
Speaker 3: I mean that was that was eight hours, that wasn't even days weeks. That's true.
Speaker 2: He did play, I mean technically he played. If you watched the Ravens game, you couldn't really tell Odell played, but he did play. I'm not worried about jinxing the Cowboys. The Cowboys looked exactly like I thought they'd look now forty to nothing. I didn't expect, obviously, but they have the best defense in football, the best defense in football. The Niners looked unbelievable, and I've got to give him a ton of credit. They looked great in a tough environment against what I thought was going to be a good team in Pittsburgh. And I'm not writing off the Steelers yet, but the Niners looked absolutely incredible.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they have the best defense.
Speaker 2: By the way, God, sorry, who do you think has the best defense?
Speaker 3: I think it'd be the team that we saw last night. Oh the Jets, that kid that that stepped in after their quarterback was injured. You know, I mean they won the game.
Speaker 2: That's a good take. I mean I the that And by the way, we get that game next week. Cowboys, Jets and anybody that's holding out hope Zach Wilson's gonna be able to keep this ship afloat. Wait till Micah Parsons throws him through the center of the earth. I mean, that's not gonna be great. Uh, but yeah, the Cowboys Jets next week will be. It might be the two best defenses. That's a fair take. The Niners defense obviously looked phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it looks like that's a collision course. I know the Eagles won. They didn't look great. They won, but that secondary can get got. Man. You let Mac Jones throw for three hundred yards and three touchdowns. That that means you'd let a full grown adult quarterback throw for like four point fifty and five touchdowns.
Speaker 3: That's a adult quarterback.
Speaker 2: And so that's a that's a real concern. And so Cowboys do look really good. Dak didn't play great, but he didn't need to demons. Scale of one being how Cowboys fans field today as far as concern, not concerned at all. Ten being total outright panic. Your level of concern about your giants and Daniel Jones after that Week one performance.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, it's probably a rebuilding year at this point. I'm not really yeah, I mean I was never really picking them to go far. I thought they might have been able to sneak into the playoffs. But it is still, like you said, one of the top defenses in the league right now. I think we do need a couple more weeks of evaluation and then, like the weather, I feel like also plays a part.
Speaker 2: That's the right take, and it's snowballed on him. You get a pump, but you get a field goal blocked return for a touchdown, then a pick six touchdown or a fumble six touchdown. It just the whole thing just snowballed on them. I'm not ready to say they're totally cooked, but it did not look good. All right?
Speaker 3: Next, all right, so Chris Jones signed an extension and you were already in danger of jinxing the Chiefs. Kansas City plays the Prince this week on Thursday, I believe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, Thursday is Eagles Vikings. This is Sunday at one o'clock. Go ahead, sorry, okay, all right? So who will you choose the Jinks this week? Chiefs or the Prince?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: I don't believe in James, so tell us.
Speaker 3: He thinks gonna win and then the other team, the Chiefs are gonna win. The Chiefs Prince gonna lived this weekend.
Speaker 2: I want to say this about I'm glad Chris is back. I Chris's agents really really did him wrong here, and it's upsetting to me. Chris Jones had on the table a two year, fully guaranteed, fifty four point five million dollar extension that was on the table.
Speaker 3: Ages is are you dropping a scoop right now? I haven't seen this anywhere.
Speaker 2: I said it on TV last week, but I didn't. Nobody gives me credit for breaking news, So if you weren't watching the segment, I mean I also broke the news that Travis Kelce was out thirty minutes before everyone else. I had it, and then all of a sudden rap aport and everyone's like sources say, yeah, agreed, but you guys are just late. I don't break a lot of stories. But let me tell you something in America, the if it's on the Kansas City Chiefs, you can trust me. So and by the way, after I explained the details on the Chris Jones story, what go ahead, you want to make fun of me.
Speaker 3: I don't think exactly a position to say that right now. I think you gotta wait until give it a few more weeks, maybe halfway into the season, see if they can go.
Speaker 2: There is a difference between a prediction and breaking news. I am not brave. I was not reporting the Chiefs were going twenty and oh you smart ass, that was a prediction. So the the details that, by the way, Florio corroborated it. Everyone acknowledges these that Chris was offered two years, fully guaranteed fifty four and a half million dollar extension. He wanted two years, fully guaranteed sixty four million dollar extension. So at nine and a half million dollar delta there right the Chiefs. If he would have signed the extension, he wouldn't have gotten fined what he got fined in training camp, wouldn't miss the game check, so he would have over the next three years. Had fully guaranteed to him seventy four million dollars nineteen point five this year plus the two years tacked on the deal he got does not guarantee him a raise this year does not guarantee him. They can't franchise tag him. His salary stays the same. Now he can make up the two million he lost in fines by playing time incentives that he should make up. In order, though, to make up the million dollar game check he lost, he has to either be a first team All Pro or have double digit sacks, And in order to make the full twenty five million he can now make, he needs to be first team All Pro, have seventeen sacks, and the Chiefs win the Super Bowl. If all of those things happen, once you incorporate the money lost in all of that, he maxes out at twenty two million dollars this year with no guaranteed money moving forward, and the Chiefs can franchise tag him. I think his agents gave him ten terrible advice, and I listen Chris Jones, one of the greatest players in the history of my favorite team. They do not win the Super Bowl against the forty nine Ers without Chris Jones's play in the fourth quarter, and they do not beat the Bengals last year without Chris Jones' plays on the final drive or throughout the game, but certainly the final drive. He deserves the money, but I think his agents were more worried about them getting a headline that they got their guy the most money ever than they were about doing the actual math on whether or not they're costing him money. But here's what I'll say about the Chiefs. Saw the Bengals looked, saw the Bills looked. The Broncos lost again, the Chargers lost in Charger fashion. The Ravens didn't look great. It sucks, But Aaron Rodgers done for the year aside from the Dolphins, and we'll see him against the Jags this week. This weekend couldn't have gone better for the Chiefs purposes of winning the AFC once again. Okay, we now have breaking news. It's official. As we thought, Rogers done for the year, complete tear of his left achilles out for the season. That I mean we talked. We did the start of the show as if that were breaking new, as if we knew that, because we kind of did. But now it is, it is official. All right, let's get to the last couple of topics here to monse because this has been a very long a block, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Man, bet your chiefs would have loved to have Tyreek Hill Thursday night. Man, he went crazy on Sunday with two hundred plus yards. He's won rings, he's transformed to it, and he's just simply changed the game. A lot of people referring to him as the best offensive weapon in football right now or the best weapon in football. Uh yeah, he's Tyreek Kill officially one of the top five receivers of all time.
Speaker 2: No, we can't go that far yet. No, no, no, we can't go that far yet. The I mean, it's obviously Jerriot number one. I believe ran Indi at number two. And then there is an argument for the next few spots of to Chris Carter, my old colleague in Pal, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, all those guys are in that discussion, plus some old timers I'm probably leaving out of his era. It's he and Davonte Adams. Davante is the only receiver in this era with more yards and more touchdowns than Tyreek Hill. And I think Tyreek is more dangerous than Devonte. And so listen, Tyreek is continuing to rewrite what's possible. And he's a first Ballad Hall of Famer and a legend. But top five all time is too far for my purposes. What's your follow up, Demonte?
Speaker 3: After last night? Do you think the Dolphins of the class of the AFC East?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I mean I picked him to win the division before last night, so some of us, you know, could see this train coming down the tracks. I think Demanse finds me more uh irritating cross country than when he's just sitting here. I think the arrogance really drips through the screen in a way that that turns them off.
Speaker 3: It's about the same. It's about the same. Uh, it's about the same.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's great duty. Right now, I'm asking you right now this moment, who do you like in the AFC East? All like the so the Bills, Jets, Patriots, Dolphins. I picked the before the year. I picked one Bills, two, Patriots, three, Jets four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I can't really pick anybody in there besides the Dolphins. I don't I don't have too much certainty with the Jets. I think the defense is gonna hold up all year, but I don't know how much that's going to to be able to do. So, I mean, the Dolphins do look the best on paper right now, and especially given the games over the weekend.
Speaker 2: So I mean, right, and that defense. While he got shredded throughout the game, they got big sacks at the end, which they needed. We're gonna skip the Burrow topic because we've gone so long here, take a very quick break, come back and play a brand new game, plus Demande's favorite tennis corner. We do all that next. What's Right.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roblasts, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon, MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Tania, and Bobby Canavali watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 3: Thing.
Speaker 2: Hey, this episode of What's Right and Mcwrite is brought to you by the McDonald's App. How many times have you been in that situation where you've had a really long day or you're really hungry, but the last thing you want to do is cook a meal or leave your house to go pick something up. I'll be honest with you, I've been in that situation hundreds of times, and my saving grace has been the McDelivery option in the McDonald's app. We're talking getting McDonald's delivered right to your door. I love their breakfast menu, but my all time favorite item is still the Big Mac. And now every time you order McDelivery in the McDonald's app, it earns you points towards free food. And let's be honest, who doesn't like free food? That means there's always a reason to order in the McDonald's app. Download the McDonald's app today. At participating McDonald's delivery prices may be higher than at restaurants. Delivery and other fees may apply. Copyright twenty twenty three McDonald's all right, welcome back. In episode one seventy six. What's right with Nick?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: It is, you know, Tuesday after Week one of the NFL. But that does not mean we are going to avoid the finals of the US Open, one of my favorite events of the year. I can't yet see Demonse, but I am sure he is just licking his chops to discuss this. Now I can see him, Demonse, Time for tennis corner. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's get to it, man, tennis corner. All right. Cocoa Golf became the youngest American to win the US Opened since Serena in nineteen ninety nine. Novak Djokovic won his twenty fourth Grand Slam, most ever, by the way, little congested sor right, that's right, I don't worry about two questions. Is golf the new face of women's tennis? And is Djokovic now on your Mount Rushmore of goats greatest all tennis? Okay, go ahead, No, I think I so it's regular.
Speaker 2: It's just regular. Go He's certainly on the tennis Mount Rushmore. The question is is he on the all the all sports Mount Rushmore. Let me do golf first, so uh goff? Is the new face of women's tennis. There's no question about it. She's delightful, her story is awesome. She is, I think, better than anyone expected at this point. And because Naomi Osaka uh has kind of gone in a different direction, the door is wide open and GoF has slammed her way through it. It's wonderful and it is the lasting legacy of Venus and Serena. It's just it, just, without question, is young black girls in America looking at tennis as a top option, whether it's Madison Keys or Coco or Naomi Osaka. It is what the what Tie Hager did for golf, Venus and Serena, I think even more so did for tennis. It's amazing. It's one of the coolest stories ever. And Coco is spectacular and easy to root for and a badass joke. Listen. I once again lost money on the men's side of the bracket. I bet Alcarez. I went to see Alcarez in the semifinal against Medvedev. I was there. Those were expensive tickets. Car how about this Demanse Carm. You know Carm, you love Karm Carm. He comes in every year for the US Open and we go to the beginning, you know, the first few days of it together. He comes in for like four days. He goes all day every day. I go to a couple of days, but tickets get more and more and more expensive. I can never go to the men's final because it's idiotically on the same Sunday of Week one of the NFL every year. I don't know what they got to just move the US Open back one week so the mint so the finals or the weekend before the NFL starts. Set that aside. Karm texts me on Thursday afternoon and said, you should get semifinal tickets. See Djokovic in the afternoon, Medvedev, Alkarez at night. All fly in for it. And I think he was joking, but you know, I the I typically buy tickets to all sporting events, but I have a few ways if it's like a super expensive ticket that I can, you know, call in a bit of a favor and be like, hey, can I get a couple tickets to this? And so I called in that favor and within thirty minutes I had a couple of tickets to the semifinal. I texted Karm a picture of him and said we're in there. He couldn't believe it. He flew in Southwest flight Friday morning, south West flight back to Chicago's Saturday morning, and Tamarm considers himself like an amateur professional tennis player. By the way, if anyone's watching this in Chicago, you can watch him on chgo listen to him on WGN. He used to radio with me and Kansey. He's one of the best guys ever. And when we were walking in He's turned to me and he goes, NICKI min's semi final. I can't believe we're here. He was so happy, he was just so over the mood. He was like he was like, it's a totally different crowd than tire earlier in the week. So I'm like, oh, yeah. The thing with the US Open is Dieard tennis fans are there early in the week, early in the tournament, and as the tournament moves on it becomes more hyper separate and yeah and yeah less. I mean for the men's final, Lil Wayne was there. Everyone was at the men's final. But I watched Medvedev beat Alcarez. Medvedev was unbelievable, played a great man. And then Djokovic of course. Listen. I if I'm ranking my favorite tennis male tennis players ever, Nadal's won fetterers two. I don't even know where Djokovic is as far as my favorites, but he's undeniably amazing. And the fact that he has played seventy two I might be off by one or two on this. I think he has entered seventy two majors and he's made the finals thirty six times. Half of the majors he's entered in the hardest era in the history of tennis. He has made the final is one of the most remarkable things in the history of the sport. And since twenty twenty one, here is what he has done in the majors. Australian Open won it for twenty twenty one, won the Australian won, the French, won Wimbledon. Lost in the finals of the US Open to Medvedev. Twenty twenty two, didn't play in the Australian Open, made the quarterfinals of the French, won Wimbledon, didn't play in the US Open. Twenty twenty three won the Australian, won the French, lost in the finals to Alcarez of Wimbledon. Won the US Open. So in the last three years, Demons, he has played in ten of the twelve majors. He has won seven of the tennies played in and lost in the finals in two of the other ten, and then lost in the quarters of the French. It is absolutely remarkable what he's done over the last three years. And he's now at twenty four majors. It's undeniable what he is. I know you have a lot to say on this, but we're short on time, so we can move on if you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was more like a tennis room. That wasn't really a tennis corner. We did a whole little thing right there. It's supposed to be a corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, let's keep going. Well, how does.
Speaker 3: So we've got a new game. We've got a new game called Factor Overreact week. One breed breeds a lot of overreactions, but there has to be some truth to it. Huh. It's your job to decide for what is fact and what is an overreaction. So first off, we've got it. Jordan Love. Seems like Aaron Rodgers left the deed to the Bears to Jordan Love because he now owns the Bears. As well. Love looked amazing in his first week one start, and the Packers looked actually pretty good. Factor overreact, green Bay is better with Love than Rogers.
Speaker 2: Well, fact, if we're just saying the Green Bay this year will be better than Green Bay was last year, and that they again obviously take the Rogers Achilles injury out of it. When I'm talking about that. The Packers last year were a terrible vibes team. Rogers was hurt, didn't play great, and was it seemed like it was the end of the road there. On the other hand, you have Love, who's gonna be just fine. They have a very good running game, they have a good defense. Now, I also think the Bears might just be in shambles, but.
Speaker 3: It seems like they're holds up pretty well too.
Speaker 2: The Packers. Absolutely yeah, and listen, I picked the Packers will win that division. Now the Lions on Monday Night on Thursday football and it's the Chiefs defense looked better than I thought they would, So we'll see on that. But I think, for I think this year's Packers will be better than last year's Packers. Next.
Speaker 3: All right, the rookie quarterbacks got off to a rough start. Bryce young C. J. Stroud, and Anthony Richardson all lost in their debuts and uh played poorly. Meanwhile, Jordan Love sat for three years and look pretty good. Factor overreact Throwing rookie qbs into the fire doesn't work well.
Speaker 2: Depends on what you define his work. They're all gonna struggle as rookies. But if you think you have a superstar, the Love thing was weird because you had Rogers there. If you think you have a superstar, you've got to let him take his lumps early. Because the easiest time to win a championship in the NFL is if you have the star quarterback who's paid on the rookie scale, So having him sit and sit and sit like you by the time he plays like let's let's say Jordan Love ends up being awesome, Well, he's immediately gonna be paid like he's awesome, so it's it's just in a tougher spot. I thought Richardson looked pretty damn good all things considered. Uh, and he's the guy. Of these three quarterbacks. I like him the most because of the upside, and I thought he was gonna look the worst initially because he had.
Speaker 3: He was the rawest I thought, Oh.
Speaker 2: I thought he looked pretty good and you just got to let these guys take their lumps. What's your follow up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So, how wild is it to throw your quarterbacks first touchdown ball into the stands? How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: Man? So? Who did it? I was watching the game?
Speaker 3: Was it the Hayden Hurst did Hayden Hayden?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, you got it.
Speaker 2: You got it right for Bryce Young's first touchdown pass? Now, I think they got it back from the fan. But that's a gaff by him. That is just like a wild gaff by him.
Speaker 3: And probably the moment, you know, probably wouldn't think.
Speaker 2: You know, but you know, it's a rookie, the number one pick. You It's not like this is all.
Speaker 3: The I think if a rookie did that to a rookie, it'd be a lot different than like, I feel like, you you know what's going on. You should have the mind to give the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like a veteran Hayden Hurst knows this is a rookie quarterback. This is I don't know, this is bad job by but I think they got the ball back all right?
Speaker 3: Next, my guy, you aren't a brod party fan yet, but the guy has never lost, never lost a start in the NFL, except when he was injured in the NFC Championship. Factor overreact party is a top ten quarterback.
Speaker 2: Stop it?
Speaker 3: Okay, nobody acts.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, all right, So hold up, let's do it. Let's do the exercise for everyone going crazy. I'm gonna name quarterbacks demonse, and you tell me if you think Perty's better. Okay, you ready, Let's do it. Mahomes No, Trevor no, Tua, Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Dak Prescott arguably wait, arguably on, Joe Burrow. Stop it, let's get going. Dak Prescott.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair, sure he's not.
Speaker 2: Jo Shallon No, but you know what, Matt hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, We're not done. Matt Stafford, Yes, okay, fine, I'll give you him. That's fine. Lamar Jackson No, Justin Herbert.
Speaker 3: No, Jared Goff, yes, give it. So what are their forty nine ers have to What does brock Perty have to do with the forty nine ers to convince you that he's good? Do they have to be three and oh? And then we can revisit this if they're three and zero in party's deally. Is he then a top ten quarterback? What more does he have to do? Man, the guy hasn't lost the game when his elbow wasn't deemed up. I don't know what you I don't know what other stance do you expect me to have right now?
Speaker 2: Wins are not a quarter A quarterback stat gotcha their team stats. I cannot believe that. Everyone, and I'm not necessarily talking about you here, but everyone that was like Jimmy g he's a winner, He's just special something to him. He gets replaced.
Speaker 4: By the last pick of the draft.
Speaker 2: The team doesn't miss a beat, and instead of everyone acknowledging, Oh, yeah, it's Christian McCaffery, Deebo, Samuel George Kittle, Brandon Ayuk, Kyle Shannan's scheme, everyone's like, oh, this guy must be awesome too, Like they literally dropped in mister irrelevant, didn't miss a beat, and everyone, instead of being like, Oh, it's the system and the talent. A team that has led the league in yards after catch for five straight years, everyone's like, oh, they just found another gym. I just don't buy it.
Speaker 3: You know, what is a quarterbacks that touchdowns? To picks. I don't know what his are exactly right now, but if you can bind, yeah, if you can buy in this last game with last year in a hole, I'm pretty sure that ratio is pretty high. And I'm better than Jimmy was demon day.
Speaker 2: It's fifteen to four and his pass ratings one o eight.
Speaker 3: He also is great, much better than Jimmy Jers.
Speaker 2: I understand all that you are and if you add in, I'll even give you a helpier if you add in the playoffs. He has eighteen touchdowns and four picks and a one to eight rating. He's been excellent.
Speaker 3: I don't doesn't sound so irrelevant to me, Matt Will.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that will sustain. So we'll see. We'll just see go ahead.
Speaker 3: All right. Baker Mayfield's two touchdowns led the Bucks to huge upset over the Vikings fact overreact. Time to sell high on your Baker's stock.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a huge overreact. Why would I sell? Do you know? You know who they got coming this week? Chicago Bears oh two and oh coming right down the mountain for my guys, Baker. Now the next week they have the Eagles. So if we were gonna sell we maybe do it before the Eagles game, but we're certainly not doing it right now, not when they're about to get the home opener and get to two and oh all right.
Speaker 3: Next, all right? Many thought, many thought the Rams would be in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes, but they embarrassed the Seahawks even without Cooper cup factor. Overreact the Rams are a wild card team.
Speaker 2: That's a massive overreaction the Sea Listen. I need to see more. I don't think they don't tell anythink they have too many young players, but that was one of the most shocking results of the weekend. I will admit that I'm high on the Seahawks and think the Rams are gonna be terrible. And that wasn't a flukey win. Rams kick their ass. I mean they deserve credit for it. The Rams absolutely kicked their ass. All right, we gotta take a quick break, come back answer some of your check questions before we leave. What's Right? This episode of What's Right with mcgride is brought to you by the McDonald's app. How many times have you been in that situation where you've had a really long day, you're really hungry, but the last thing you want to do is cook a meal or even leave your house to go pick something up. I don't know about you, but I've been in that situation literally hundreds of times, and my saving grace has been the McDelivery option in the McDonald's app. We're talking getting McDonald's delivered right to your door. I love their breakfast menu. My all time favorite item, like I'm sure it is for a lot of you, is still the Big Mac. And now every time you order McDelivery in the McDonald's app, it earns you points towards free food. And let's be honest, what's better than free food. That means there's always a reason to order in the McDonald's app. Download the McDonald's app today. At participating McDonald's delivery prices maybe higher than at restaurants. Delivery and other fees may apply. Copyright twenty two twenty three McDonald's All Right, welcome back. In What's Right with Nick Right, Episode one seventy six, Let's get to some of the listener questions. Uh, I'm gonna I realize actually now that I remember, Demonza usually reads these, but I've been going through them now so all because you haven't been here so we'll get in a flow on this. I want to start with this. Zach Hatter says, Nick's already over one of locks of the week. He's in mid season four. I went two and three on the Pick show. What is so devastating about that is I do this pic show on Thursday, and then Friday on TV I do three picks. So I picked my three favorite ones from this show, and instead of doing five, I do three. I went again, I went two and three on this show. Demonse, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I went on two and three?
Speaker 2: Oh and three? I picked the three losers. Now what's also true? And we'll talk about this more. On Thursday's gambling show, Demase's teaser didn't win because of the one leg I told him not to place. That was the one leg I told you, not.
Speaker 3: What, And honestly, what overshadowed that was me saying that the Raiders are We're going to beat the Broncos. I didn't say that they were exactly. And what also helped with that is that I also admitted that when I placed a teaser that that was the one leg that I was worry about. I'm sorry if you guys followed me on that but I think there was enough evidence in that teaser to you know, still trail me, don't count me out. We got some more coming.
Speaker 2: I cut you out. We'll talk about it more on Thursday. And here's the other thing, man, maze, because I went two and three and my bets have viig your teasers. You're just you know, you getting plus money. You're actually I'm minus one point three units and you're just minus one unit. So while we both lost money, you are actually ahead in the competitian the real OC says, why do you and other sports media always leave out Stafford when talking about top quarterbacks? You just leave Mountain Clue players like Dak and Trevor Lawrence. Well, listen, I Stafford. I think for most people was ahead of Dak until he suffered the elbow injury last year, and then people were very concerned about what he was gonna look like this year. I mean, that's why Trevor Trevor, Trevor might be the second best quarterback in the entire league. Guys, stop comparing people to Trevor, please, and you can roll your eyes again. You're gonna say confidently with your chest this morning, Joe Burrow's better than Trevor threw the ball thirty times, got eighty more yards than I did. I threw the ball zero times.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, But by that logic, then brock Party is better than Joe Burrow. But continue, my bad.
Speaker 2: That is where pedigree and everything matters. Brock Party was the last player of the draft. Trevor Lawrence was the number one pick, and you would have traded five first rounders for him. Pedigree matters.
Speaker 3: I only listen to mainstream music. Hey man, there's some underground stuff. Man, there's some there's some new things can be done that weren't done before. I know, it's unexpected that this guy that went undrafted or last pick in the draft is actually a really good quarterback. It's hard to believe. But hey man, watch game four or fives. Going to start switching up a little bit.
Speaker 2: No, you're listen. It might be the case. And you're right. The next great musician might right now be playing in a dingy bar somewhere in Toledo. But I'll go ahead and say, I think the person who's been selling out arenas for the last five years has higher upside. That's all. Also, the producers gassed him ons up, telling him how Grady had on the pretty conversation. He's now shoehorning it into this Matt Stafford question. Next, Christian Laso says, is there anything a foreign IROs quarterback and dude impressure we always attributed to Kyle's system, who's won zero Super Bowls.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, I I was vindicated entirely on Jimmy Garoppolo.
Speaker 2: We'll see if I'm vindicated on bruck Party. Let's just wait and see. D eight said, sorry, no problem is part of the Brown Rogers injuries on turf field. Should the NFL begin out long turf That's gonna be a big topic today. I don't think it helped. I don't know that it was the entire reason for the injury. Grass fields are better. Players hate the artificial turf. I don't think the NFL's outlawing it. I also don't know enough about the mechanics of injuries to give a hot take on that. Adrian says they can't afford cat food thanks to Nick's picks next week. Next week, Adrian, cat's gonna be eaten fresh salmon. Just wait, you just wait until we give you these three picks this week. Joel Penfield says, how long is Russell Wilson have left the Broncos starter. Russell Wilson's not the reason they lost that game. Russell Wilson wasn't good, but he wasn't terrible. Sean Payton surprise on side kick, three, bad fourth down decisions, ten penalties looked a whole like the Nat Hackett team. Tell you that much. All right, Demons started slow today, really picked up into the show went on and you were outstanding. It was a great show, really a great show.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you are tying yourself to the Brock party bandwagon, as as Broussard Wilds plant that flag man? What did I say? I got three types of takes undeniably correct, immediately, undeniably correct, eventually and laughably incorrect. You think this is gonna be a bucket three? I'm very confident it's gonna be bucket two. I guess we'll find out together. Gambling show where de Moonday and I try to actually win some bets Thursday. Talk to you then. What's right