Speaker 1: Welcome to the drive. I'm Dale Lulli. He is Matt Williamson, and we are live from Steelers training camp here at Saint Vincent College. And Matt, that was an interesting little yeah, I like finishing touch there to the drill the Steelers going through there. Now, they had had three receivers going out in patterns and you saw a lot of crossing stuff and right right, some kind of rubs if you're on offense, picks, if you're on defense, right, you would call that the final rep. They put Kawant Alexander out there one on one against Washington, Big Darnell Washington, Yeah, and Quant Alexander gave him a rough time getting off the line of scrimmage first of all, and then defended the pass down field. Really nice job there.
Speaker 2: So a couple of notes from that is, like you said, the majority of the drill was a three on three passing drill. But in the middle of the field, right, it was a back, it was a tight end, it was a slot, it wasn't outside receivers. And they were all working, as you mentioned, against man coverage on purpose. So the defense was at a huge disadvantage. They knew they were getting rubbed and picked and all that stuff for middle of the field routes, crossers and things of that nature, which is what we've been harping on exactly right, right, how many times we told you they need to do more of that. They know that, that's why they're doing it, you know. And then they finished it with one on one stuff, but not outside receivers. And Alan Robinson and Deontay aren't dressed or aren't participating today, Not that that matters. I think that they were trying to work on what they need to work on middle of the field stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Steelers in shells today, so not in full pads, working on some eleven and eleven here inside run stuff. But again, when you get to this situation and guys aren't in pads, it's a little different, right, They're working on run fits and no Isaac sam Malo out there today. Nate Herbig is in there in place of him. I know West Shulder in the previous segments said that Joebi wasn't out there. He is out there, Yeah, I saw I saw him in seven shots. He's out there now again in this one. But Malie Golden out there in place of t J. Watt, Joey Porter Junior not practicing today. It doesn't look like they're having Patrick Peterson practice either today.
Speaker 2: Hayward and water Citty.
Speaker 1: You get James Pierre getting a shot here with the first team defense. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, Mika Fitzpatrick is out there.
Speaker 2: I know, good stuff. So we had two very physical days back to back, a night practice and then followed up with sort of a short rest practice where they went acted pretty hard. Now you get this one to kind of fine tune things, give some guys a break and then or true break tomorrow, you know, to a whole twenty four hours off taking.
Speaker 1: Care of guys bodies. Yeah, it is a long season. I know when you know when when when Craig Wolflee or you know, some of the older guys coming back. In our day, we did two a day's every day. Yeah. You also, for a large portion, for those guys in.
Speaker 2: The seventies only played fourteen games even so, oh, I mean those guys also didn't come to camp in the same condition that these guys.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing.
Speaker 2: It's a huge part of it, and really the biggest part of.
Speaker 1: It is there were no such thing as OTAs.
Speaker 2: That and sports science is way smarter now than that, right, you know. I mean there's a reason for this stuff that if someone would have been ahead of the curve maybe in nineteen seventy five and practice less or smarter, maybe they would have had a huge advantage that nobody else did. I mean, it's just the sign of the times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what always gets me, Like, I know, you know, I hear complaints from people at the youth level. You know, we're gonna start practicing here August first to get ready for those youth football games in September. I'm like, more football at that, you know, at that age, it's it's not about that, It's about doing what you do well. You know, football is in the game that you get better at necessarily from a lot of practice, but you refine, like at this point, that's a nice yeah, nice nice comeback there by George Pickens.
Speaker 2: Nice deep ball on the outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really pushed that in the ball, Yeah, just drove it in there about that's about a twenty yard out. And Kenny Pickett drove that in there into double coverage.
Speaker 2: Too, absolutely, And George used his body really well there too to kind of present that pocket for him. To throw it to but pick it then that show any bashfulness whatsoever that was.
Speaker 1: Throwing him open too. It was, it was exactly, And that's one of those things like you know, if you're a young college quarterback or a young quarterback, you don't necessarily see that as it develops, exactly because he threw to a spot and Pickings had to come back to the football.
Speaker 2: And get it right. Just trust the quarterback to take me to where I need to be exactly. And I didn't know who to praise more on that one, Picket or Pickings, because they both really did a perfect job right, which made it an uncoverable route right right, kind of like one of those Aaron Rodgers back shoulder fades that Jordy Nelson backs. Then you can do what you can do about it. You know, nothing you can do. There's roads like that because if you try to play it to the back shoulder, which is difficult, he's going to really over the top and you'll get a pass interference call more often not too and you know, so no, it's smart and you can really see development from those two second year pass catcher and throwers as well. They look like they're veterans at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mitch Trubisky in there now with the second unit, and I see a lot of that offensive line in there, the Raven Clark in there. Uh, you got Kendrick Green at center looking to see who the guards are since herbig was in with the the first unit. Uh, it looks like Spencer Anderson's at guard.
Speaker 2: Didn't guy's been everywhere.
Speaker 1: That might be him at at right guard and let me see here, Yeah that is him. So yeah, he's played all along that line. Now we've seen him at tackle. We've seen him at both tackle positions this week. Now today he's at guard. That's really tough to do.
Speaker 2: He's a bit of a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of these seventh round guys get forgotten. But he's doing everything and it seems like he's showing up more and more on the practice field.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So obviously see something different every day every day.
Speaker 1: Okay, this week, you're gonna work on tackle. This week, you're gonna be a no, he's where wherever. He's like the you know, the utility guy. Yeah, that's really that's really helpful. Again for a seventh round.
Speaker 2: Pick, exactly. I mean I think of a guy like Justin Strelzik who started his career that way. I mean, there's been a couple in history that just our true sixth men that can do anything. When when you come off the bench and then sometimes you eventually find a home or eventually you're just active on game day filling in, and that's really valuable too.
Speaker 1: So you can take you're gonna make a lot of money in this league for a long time if you can do all five of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially as an offensive lineman.
Speaker 1: But he must you're never a starter if you're going to be valued for ten plus years. Yep.
Speaker 2: He must be passing all the tests mentally too, knowing all these put him out there.
Speaker 1: If he's gonna blow the assignment every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he's making a strong push to make that final roster.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. That's impressive.
Speaker 2: It is. It's impressive. So what we got going here? We got double tights to the left with Hayward and I think that's Washington standing up, but I can't quite tell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to tell, you know, when he's in a crouch, if he's not, if he's standing or crouching.
Speaker 2: He's so tall, he's a giant. Yeah.
Speaker 1: How about sixty eight polling around the edge here. That one opened the eyes. More guys just nfl wide open here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one hundredercent schemed up. It kept seven in the block, they kept both those tight ends to block in there, and just had a three man combination and it popped wide open.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Big William Duncle pulling out from a guard spot to protect the backside or the front side, I should say on that one, that was interesting. He makes he's making a little bit of a name for himself too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, it's interesting. Uh looking here at the defense out there, you've got a lot of the third teamers. I see David parrellis out there at one outside linebacker spots inside on the noses. I believe that's Fojoko there, Hey, it is it is. Yeah, he's got big Jonathan Marshall next to him. That's a lot of beef.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of beef. And we got the four string quarterback in too. So Yeah, getting a repping the bottom of the roster a little bit here, Yeah, I mean that's a big theme for today.
Speaker 1: He hasn't got many reps for Tanner Morgan, but he has gotten well more than what they were able to get for Chrysal lodakon last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good point, good point. So do you think Morgan plays much in the preseason.
Speaker 1: Opener, the opener?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're prepping him for something here.
Speaker 2: A lot of these guys are gonna play a lot in the opener, and they want to get him mentally ready.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be interesting. I'll be very interested when Mike Tomlin has his, uh his press conference later this week. You know, I'm sure he's not going to give us the exact rundown on how the quarterbacks will be used. Sure, you know in terms of all the Kenny's going to play the first quarter that so and so on and so forth. That's a nice throw.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Butler over the middle, Yeah, he's the middle of the field option for sure.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, he's a big dude right in there.
Speaker 2: Yea the tight window too.
Speaker 1: But you know, just if he if he has any plans you know, to play uh Tanner Morgan.
Speaker 2: And I wonder how much Kenny plays.
Speaker 1: You would think, well, I'm sure he'll play some, but you would think he almost You want to play him with the starters. You don't want to play him with the with the backups.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, for.
Speaker 1: Sure, So do you do you because of that?
Speaker 2: Do you say?
Speaker 1: You know what, Kenny, You're not going to play a lot in this first game, if at all.
Speaker 2: I was thinking he might not play hardly at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm thinking this week he might not play at all, then play a half next week. Maybe maybe the starters only play a series this week on offense because they are so young. I mean, there's not a lot of veteran guys. Or maybe no, right, maybe you don't play Isaac sam Malu.
Speaker 2: Or maybe resting day, well for Robinson's resting the day too.
Speaker 1: So those three guys you don't necessarily need to play. But the rest of them, they're all second, third year guys, you know, so yeah, why not play?
Speaker 2: My hunch is kind of like you said. I thought maybe he wouldn't play the first game, play substantial amount the second game, then set him down. Yeah, you know, I think that would make some sense.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, he got a lot of a lot of playing time last year.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, big old Fajoko ya zipping through there. But he guessed the snapcount right and exploded off the ball. Yeah that was five yards in the backfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now again they don't have pads on here, so the blocking is a little but still he got in there.
Speaker 2: He's a big body to be moving that quick though.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like him breaking up dude too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He is a fun guy, really understands the history of the game, things like that.
Speaker 2: That that.
Speaker 1: You know, there's just so many guys that I just feel like he's he's he has studied this game. Yeah, yeah, and those the history of the Steelers, the history of that position in the NFL. Yeah, absolutely, you know, it gives you a better sense of yourself in how you fit into things.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I bet he's popular in the locker room too, and seems like a hard worker and a fun guy to be around. And I think he's going to be probably an upgrade over the nose play from last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see. I mean, Montrevius Adams has still gotten uh, you know, a lot of the first team reps, if not all the first team reps at this point. But you know, they've got some some nose tackles on this roster. How many of them do you keep? You We see them using Marshall more at end. Now he's you know, he's listed as a nose tackle or defensive tackle. But you know he's six three three and ten pounds. He's big enough to ride, to ride on the outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he can live inside too. Yeah. Right, so he's interesting. I mean, you're probably keeping seven at most six for sure, and there's about five of them. They're already basically guaranteed the spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, you look at that position. It might be one of the deepest on the teams.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: You know, Cam Heyward, Larry Ogan, Joby, you're two starting ends. You know, what do they do there with Montrevius Adams, Braden Fojoco, Keanu Benton, Jonathan Marshall. We know, we know Benton's making the roster and Leal I kind of look at their making the roster. Can Isaiah Loudermilk call hold on to a spot his arm, Mom Watts pushing him.
Speaker 2: Those two are probably fighting directly.
Speaker 1: For one spot. You got Manny Jones there.
Speaker 2: He has done a couple of good things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they I mean, there's some depth there and those guys have If you look at it, you got Hayward, Adams, Ogan, Jobi louder Milk, fa Hako, Leal Watts. I mean these guys have all played in the league. Yeah, even Marshall's gotten some you know, some snaps and Manny Jones. Those guys, they don't have a ton of experience, but they've got experience at the NFL level. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's two that don't, Benton and Leal, and their future looks bright, and they're gonna be on this squad and then you're gonna have some veterans backing them up or mixing in with them, you know that have been around the block and know what takes in this league. So I think that's valuable. I like how they've constructed that room. Ideally, i'd love to keep seven of those guys. You know, it's hard to do, you know, because they're not big. They're not they're not out there right now on this punt team right now.
Speaker 1: Well, that you with that expanded practice squad and the ability to bring two guys up every week, I think at a factor, I can only do that so many times during the season where you bring a guy up off the practice squad, but you do have those two additional spots, you know. The one caveat with that though, I believe if I've read that rule correctly. If you're gonna have your third quarterback be available, you can't use both of.
Speaker 2: Those spots, so he takes up one of the two.
Speaker 1: Essentially, Yeah, because they don't want to, you know, they don't want to. That would if you if your third quarterback, as the emergency quarterback, has to play, that pushes your game day roster then to fifty one players because you dropped down to fifty forty forty five whatever it is, you'd have one extra player because of the quarterback situation. So you can't bring up two guys if you're going to use the emergency quarterback as they're the third quarterback.
Speaker 2: I would think in a normal regular season game, unless Picket or Trubisky was fighting something, I don't think I've interested in the third quarterback. Yeah, you know what I mean. I mean, that's a lot of disaster that would have to happen, and people might ask, Okay, so if that's the case, then who is.
Speaker 1: Your emergency quarterback on a game day? If something were to happen to the top two guys and you don't have that third guy available, it's sex Gentry, that's.
Speaker 2: I bet it's Entry, right, Yeah, because I mean he went to Michigan as a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Like he was a top rated one of the top rated quarterbacks in the country. Who just happened? Now, you wouldn't obviously do a lot of throw.
Speaker 2: Change.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 1: I did a little story about that last year for Steelers dot Com. UH and and you know, talk to UH to Matt Canada about that, and and you know they would they would have a small package fore I talked to Actually, I could talk to UH to Sully about that as well. You know they've seen him throw. He can throw the football.
Speaker 2: And I would think too, if that disaster happened, I mean, it obviously decreases your chance of winning the football game massively. I mean any third quarterback, let alone UH a tight end playing quarterback and emergency quarterback. But I think what you do is bring out all the beef, you know, six offensive linemen green in the backfield, all the tight ends and just hammer them, you know, and then try to shorten the game to no end. See how it takes you. I mean, you don't want him dropping back, you know, throwing out routes downfield, you know, over and over.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah no, but you could do some shorter stuff, you know, he could throw some bubble screens and things of that nature that I'm sure he's done. Yeah you mentioned green there again, and there's something to that.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's something to that. I think that's sticking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not just repping it just to rep it, you know, I really think what they what they're trying to do. I don't think they want to put too much on on Connor Hayward's nice A great punt, I think, still traveling.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, Preshley Harvim boomed that one. Yeah, beautiful spiral, perfect placement.
Speaker 1: But I don't think they want to put too much on on Connor Hayward's plate.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of physicality. Yeah, you could. He still will do it. I'm sure he's good at it, you know, the motion stuff, the lead blocking stuff. But if he's gonna play all your teams, he's gonna run a lot of routes. Carry the ball five times a year or something like that. You might carry it more than that and he's not. He might be your third running back. Yeah, it's I mean, he could do that too on game day you're talking about, or even on the roster. Yeah, okay, yeah, that's certainly possible. But that's a lot of wear and tear on his body, you know, right, so you don't want to you don't want to use him up. And Green's obviously a different body type, I mean, a little huge human being, a little bit another nice punt, you know.
Speaker 1: The more the more I've watched Hayward in this camp and do all these different things, it's kind of like Jalen Samuels, a better version Jaylen Samuel.
Speaker 2: That's what they wanted out of Samuels.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's a much better route runner. I think better hands better, I don't remember. Samuel might be a better runner. He might be a better runner. Samuels, I know, tested pretty well from what I remember, but I never really saw that translate to the field where Hayward to me, moves and plays faster than he tested, where Samuels was the opposite. And it's a hard thing. I mean, a lot of these guys, oh jack of all trades, you can do all these things in the league. Most of the time you can't, you know. I always talk about that. On defense. So he says, Isaiah Simmons is a safety, a linebacker, a slot corner, blah blah. Well he might be none, Yeah.
Speaker 1: But what we saw all Yeah, the thing about Hayward it really separates him is his ability to get downfield. Yeah, he saw that show up a couple of different times last year. I don't remember seeing Samuels make those kind of catches over the middle, like the.
Speaker 2: Fifteen yards downfield and then after the catch. He's pretty good too.
Speaker 1: Because if you remember with Samuels at the I think it was at the combine, they had him work out with the tight ends. Yes, he had a te next to his name, and that's.
Speaker 2: Not what he was now at all.
Speaker 1: Whereas with Hayward, I mean, Samuels had been a running back his entire career in college, whereas Heyward did everything in college in.
Speaker 2: College, right, Samuels caught a lot of passes. It was him and the hem Hines in that backlefield at NC State, and they both were really good receivers. They both probably have bigger numbers as pass catchers. But it didn't translate the league all that well, and you didn't want to hand them the football.
Speaker 1: I know everybody'll talk about why he had that one game against the Paytriots. Patriots were daring them to run the.
Speaker 2: Foot That's what they wanted you to do was handed to him. Belichick was like, please hand it to Jaylen Samuels and he did fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to his credit, he put up a bunch of yards and again he did he did the key though. All that stuff's great, But maybe Hayward's biggest value is to Danny Smith. He's a core, core special teamer, so this offensive stuff is wonderful. But I don't remember Samuel's ever being that type of guy, you know, being a core special team or like a great one. Yeah, there's just Connor Hayward is dynamic, you know, and that's that's one thing that that you know, again, you know, his his forty time and all that stuff. You know, it wasn't great.
Speaker 2: And I don't remember, but I think he's like a four to seven and something like that. High four to six is something like that. But he's quick and he changes direction well and in a way he uses his shortness to his advantage and then he plays with good leverage and kind of has a little bit of a bowling ball feel to him, both as a route runner and after the catch or as a runner. So he pulled up his numbers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't remember, seven to two, Yeah, one, six, three ten yard split thirty two and a half inch vertical. So nothing there is gonna like ooh jomp off.
Speaker 2: What was his weight?
Speaker 1: Uh? They listened to two thirty three five eleven two thirty three.
Speaker 2: You think he's about that still, right, I mean that's probably about his neighborhood, h right. But certainly an unconventional tight end. But he's more than a tight end.
Speaker 1: You know. He doesn't look like a four to seven two guy though when he's running.
Speaker 2: Down the field. No, he doesn't, No, he absolutely does not. And a lot of the stuff he does are not straight line routes, I mean does don't. They're not running seltyard routes right right. There's a little juke to him, you know, he shoulder fakes things like that. And no, I'm a big fan, and I don't think the Kendrick Green stuff experiment is a reflection poorly on Hayward.
Speaker 1: I think it's just in addition to Yeah, I just think they want, you know, perhaps a bigger body in there. And again they've done a lot of that six offensive lineman stuff before. This is just a different way to do it.
Speaker 2: This is more of a Patrick orccard move. Yeah, you know then it is the sixth offensive lineman on the line of scrimmage. I mean usually almost always when you play with that jumbo six line set, it's a tackle, you know, because he lines up outside the tackle. You're not gonna put a center outside. You know, you're tackled for a protection help. I mean that's you're asking him to do something he's not good at at all. I'm not saying it won't happen ever when greened on the field, but he's gonna be moved around like Ric Hard.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah, we're gonna get to break there. Steelers are practicing some special team stuff right now here at Saint Vincent College. The rain is holding off, which for now I appreciate a little dubious. Yeah. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lolly. You're listening to the Drive here on Steelers Nation Radio and ESPN nine seventy. We'll be back with more right after this. Welcome back on Dale LOLLI. He is Matt Williamson, and this is the Drive on Steelers Nation Radio and ESPN nine seventy. We are live from Steelers training camp practice here on the campus of Saint Vincent College. And that was interesting little play there. This was some eleven on eleven there, and they had Nausey Harris.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: He started in the slot, started in motion like he was going to motion into the backfield like we've seen a lot of you get pretty used to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, then they put another wrinkle on it, and then all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: He just boom turned and and you know, ran back out to the to the slot and caught a pass. There. Hadn't seen that a whole lot thus.
Speaker 2: Far, especially from Nausey. Yeah, I mean it from some of the other guys, but yeah, yeah, I thought the exact same thing. I was like, ooh, I haven't seen this motion yet from him, and he looks a little different doing it. And so not only well these guys just everyone's watched football knows. You go from the slot or outside and sometimes you kind of jog into the you know, the and then you see who follows. Yeah, well his was more of an aggressive you know, I mean, like pounding.
Speaker 1: The Maybe they could hand it off to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, snapped the football and then he flipped around and changed direction as well, got outside, caught one in the flat and you know, picked up a few yards. Yeah, but this motion stuff's great. I mean they're doing a lot of it, and you got to remember this is only ten days in the camp or something like that. So some of the stuff that you and I have getting accustomed to is what the defenses will get accustomed to. And then they'll add a wrinkle on the wrinkle you know. Yeah, I mean that looked like a wrinkle. Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: We now have Broderick Jones at left tackle and Dan Moore Junior at right tackle. Well, now they've already switched that out, so it was just a yeah, yeah, now it's l Raven Clark in there, and we got Trubisky into so second the second unit is out there, second unit switch.
Speaker 2: Well we're having that nausey, naugy conversation. So it's yeah, it's basically what they've done is just wrapped maybe a player to Broderick Jones with the Ones and Dan Moore Junior on the right side. It's large than Yeah, it's largely been Dan Moore on the left at left tackle and Chooks a corps for at right tackle with the Ones, as you'd expect, right, I mean, that's that's where Jones is right now, and his development not that that's bad. I heard Wes and Motes were talking about it right before we came on. I thought West made a good point point two that you know, development isn't linear. You know, you're gonna have two steps forward, three steps back, five steps forward, one step back, you know, and you've got to be able to count on him day after day after day, especially in protection and knowing everything he you know, has to do. And again we're ten days in the camp. You can't do that yet. And oh, by the way, Dan Moore is something to say about this. You know, he's probably well, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing wrong with with how he's right handling things here. So yeah, again, Kendrick Green working is at second team center there.
Speaker 2: We'll see if he still was a center of two folks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see if they do anything with him with the third group comes back out, if he goes out there and does any full back work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, has he been doing most of that with the ones? No, it's been with the three. With the three, Yeah, I couldn't remember. Okay, Yeah, just trying to rep it. When he starts doing it with the ones, then we'll really yeah, yeah, you know, this is.
Speaker 1: Something that they're really thinking about here. It's I mean, we're only talking about basically six or seven plays lust.
Speaker 2: Sure, but it is noteworthy because it's fun and I think it might work out too.
Speaker 1: It is fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is fun.
Speaker 1: Now we're getting to see the the third team unit is coming on to the field here, boy.
Speaker 2: Can with another catch there, see where they're basically on the hashes. It looks like in the middle of field.
Speaker 1: It looks like Spencer Anderson is going to be the left tackle with this group now in this in this.
Speaker 2: Sense, Spencer Anderson's a story man. Yeah, that's crazy mentioned this guy.
Speaker 1: That is crazy. Yeah, it's standard Morgan leading the third unit here.
Speaker 2: So Mason Rudolph, we've definitely seen him at left guard and left tackle today today, just today, in the last fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: We've seen him at right tackle. We've seen him at guard.
Speaker 2: I don't remember center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I've seen him. So maybe that happened early in camp.
Speaker 2: But as you mentioned the other day, they have a lot of center possibilities or maybe they look at it like boy ten things would have to happen for you to play center, So why bother?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we want to see if he can do these things first. And he did a nice job ceiling he did there. Yeah, but no, it's a good point, like.
Speaker 2: A lot lot of things would have to happen assuming he's not even active on game day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they've got four other guys that can play center, right, right.
Speaker 2: Right, you bumped Daniels in before him or whoever you know, and so five actually I think.
Speaker 1: Three of them in the starting lineup. And and then then you have Herbig on the Herbig as well, right and Kendrick Green, So that you go from having a couple of years ago no centers, you know, and which is why really Kendrick Green ended up starting that.
Speaker 2: Right, He got kind of thrust into action because.
Speaker 1: Everybody as got hurtly. Right. But but then now now they've got an abundance of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do the guys that can do it. Yeah, so why kind of waste Anderson's reps? There you get McFarland in motion.
Speaker 1: There he goes over to the slot right left side of Tanner Morgan nice jo up stepping up in the pocket and he takes off running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not a bad athlete either.
Speaker 1: No, no, and another one of those quarterbacks with a lot of college starting experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point. We had that conversation after the Hall of Fame game that a lot of these dudes had played a lot out of college ball. Party was one the u c l A kid that Dorian Thompson. That's the transitions a little easier. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And to the NFL's credit, and this is a big picture conversation, they've done a better job lately of stealing college concepts and making that adjustment.
Speaker 1: A little easier.
Speaker 2: Like if you go pull it up like drafthistory dot com and pull the quarterbacks. There's an unbelievable stretch there of Winston, Marriota, Wentz, et cetera, et cetera, these all these early picks that busted, and the NFL wasn't doing a good job back then.
Speaker 1: Job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, Jean Butler's gonna be tough to cut too.
Speaker 1: He is, he really is. He went up over thirty there, which is Chris Wilcox. He's a six foot two hundred and ninety a small cornerback right, and Butler just went up over top of him. Not a bad throw either by Morgan there. Now, it wasn't to put it where you only your guy can go get it.
Speaker 2: Didn't have him go low? Yeah, get the power forward and throwing off the rim there for him, and.
Speaker 1: That's about a fifteen yard out down to the to his left.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not you know, necessarily an easy throw for a quarterback.
Speaker 2: That's the stuff that Butler did a ton in college. And I really liked him coming out of school. I was shocked and he went as late as he did. But he's not a burner, you know. But if he's going to block and be a middle of the field contributor, and he's.
Speaker 1: Want to you know, I want to see what he can do on special teams. Yeah, that's a big I see him maybe battling Miles Boykin for a roster spot.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a tough guy to beat out. Yeah, especially on teams. Morgan's doing all right here, yeah's dealing.
Speaker 1: Getting it to our our guy there. Number eighty seven. Rodney Williams.
Speaker 2: He's another one that's I kind of threw away. I'm like, boy, they got four really good tight end Ye, he's got no chance. Well, every practice his name comes up. I mean, that's how you stick around. He runs pretty well too, he does. He's a willing blocker, he runs pretty well. I mean that's an interesting that.
Speaker 1: Like if they only had three tight ends right now, you'd be looking at that guy.
Speaker 2: Going okay, yeah, maybe right right, what can.
Speaker 1: He bring to the equation here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean their tight end rooms interesting even without him because Firemouth really should never leave the field unless he's gassed or whatever. And then you got the two giants in Gentry and Washington. One thing, Gentry's caught the ball well in this can Yes, yes, he absolutely, yes, he's been.
Speaker 1: A target and uh, you know that that's something that you always well, he's a blocker and he you know, but I've seen him make some some contested catches and a lot of stuff in the end zone too. Yeah, good point shots, like he's gotten better at being big.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, using using the gifts he has.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So like when they drafted Washington, I said it's a matter of time until he just displaces Gentry, and maybe that's true. But Gentry, like Dan Moore, is not going to go away easy, and there's no rule against using them both together. That's what I mean. That's bringing in a lot of size deposition that I mean you're talking about there's a chance that there will be two of the better blocking tight ends in the league.
Speaker 1: Well over thirteen feet of tight end there right right about. Oh, I don't know, five fifty yeah, five hundred and sixty, five hundred and seventy paws right.
Speaker 2: End, yeah, and then length and and.
Speaker 1: Get down the field and catch the football.
Speaker 2: And we go Firemouth next to Washington. Now, yeah, that's it. That's gonna be a nice rice. Uh usage of these tight ends. Keep them all in there, keep them all fresh. You kind of like pitched it to that side, the strong side. It's a really strong side. And yeah, Harris follows as those blockers and get some yard to jer Again hard to tell with without the pads.
Speaker 1: On right, that would have been a game.
Speaker 2: I was watching Washington and did a good good job taking out of his guy, engulfing them smaller defender.
Speaker 1: And we go right now, we're back in cheeks. The core four goes off and they oh, they brought the whole second team line in this time. But this time they brought the second team line in and more is out there and say, I think play right tackle. He's at right tackle now. But they did it with the second team line this time. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Just doing a lot of little things. You never know when you're gonna need it throughout the course of the season. And recall that, remember those times I played right tackle in La Trove.
Speaker 1: So let's focus here on more right tackles. What this looks like?
Speaker 2: He and and Joe reasonably well, got a little help from the right guard, but boom, wide open it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice shot there. He's more of a classic right tackle as it is more in terms of the run blocking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say he's a better run blocker than he is, you know, light on his feet, dancing bear left tackle type. But they drafted him. I thought he was more of a right tackle guard and I still think that. But he's the fact that he's playing the right right, right, he's a starter until further notice.
Speaker 1: Right right, he's now out of there. He took one rep there and now they've they've got the Raven Clark back in there. Now.
Speaker 2: I bet he's taken less than twenty reps at right tackle probably, but you start repping it just you know, get him used to it, and hey, in case of emergency, you don't know what's going to happen with that left tackle battle.
Speaker 1: And again I go back to you know, his rookie year, he played about two days on the right side and then you know the plan was to get him work on both sides. Well, a little fumble there by Calvin Austen and well he's able to get back on it. But yeah, he's not gonna be happy with that.
Speaker 2: No, no, you can't do that in these type of drills. So yeah, I forget what I was saying about that. I doubt they're looking this far ahead. But Chukes is a free agent after the year. I mean, you could just well, Jones is a star at left tackle, but we still have more under contract and a good deal. Maybe use Chucks's money somewhere else if you think that more can be a similar player at right tackle, you know, or drafted on the third round after that. You know, there's just how the league works.
Speaker 1: It will be crazy for Chucks or Corps, for us that he would be going on his third contract and be twenty six years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, maybe he's not a super star, but he's going to be really attractive if he's on the open market. There's a lot of starts for a twenty six year old at offensive tackle. Like, he's not going to be cheap.
Speaker 1: No, no, not absolutely wasn't cheap this time, right, right, right, there's the Jets sweep action to.
Speaker 2: H Yeah, that one looks pretty legit, like a long game that would happen with pads or not.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing about that, that Jets sweep action. You may only hand it to that guy once or twice a game, but put your repid, rep it and repid, and you get the defense sleeping a little bit and then all of a sudden, boom there goes for you know, twenty five yards.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And to be frank, I thought they used it far too much last year and what was looking like a condensed offense where now.
Speaker 1: Or early in the season when they were trying to trying to find a running game of.
Speaker 2: Some type, yeah, trying to get yardage anyway they could. And now you're actually surprised when they get the ball, right, you know. So it's a different feel for the defense.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I mean, Tyreek Hill runs jet sweep action all the time, sure, sure, you know, and nobody complains about that. Why are they running Tyreek Hill on jet sweep action again? Right? Because he gets the ball like three times a year and in that situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it does other things in the process. You freeze that end. Absolutely. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lallie.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Drive here on Steelers Nation Radio and ESPN nine to seventy are live ongoing coverage from Steelers training camp here at Saint Vincent College. The brain continuing to hold off. Here's the Steelers practice and they are off tomorrow, so we'll see, hopefully they get this one in and then they're they're off. They come back Tuesday Wednesday, leave for Tampa on Thursday after their morning walk through which is closed to the public, and then they're back here again after that game on Friday. They don't come back until Sunday to practice again.
Speaker 2: So so you get a little spotty here in the next Yeah, I would say correct me if I'm wrong for our listeners. But we will be Tuesday Wednesday, will have a three hour drive, yes, and then there will be a gap there again, then.
Speaker 1: There's a gap and then we're back Sunday. So now, but we're gonna take a break now again, He's Matt Williamson, I'm Dale Lalli. We'll be back with more right after this, which the offensive guys and more the linebacker type in the middle.
Speaker 2: It looks like Darnell Washington's one of the only white ones in the middle, you know, and he's a huge person.
Speaker 1: I'll be interested to see how any more speed on the outside.
Speaker 2: Ye be interested to see how he does in this, because if you're not the starting tight end, it's hard to dress young game day right, better be able to play some teams. I mean, he'd be on field goal protection, but that's not hard to find, you know.
Speaker 1: I know they've used Gentry on kickoff. You know, you know in the past that last year they used Gentry and Hayward were both out there on kick return.
Speaker 2: I should say I would they probably on return.
Speaker 1: But Darnell Washington is fast enough that you just wonder if he can do a few more things. Although you know, the height doesn't lend it.
Speaker 2: He's actually up right now, Yeah, let's let's watch this. I would be more worried about him breaking down in space. Yeah all right, not what he's built to do or asked to do. Probably never done it before in his life, I would imagine, right, Yeah, I'm sure he was highly recruited and ended up in Georgia. He probably didn't play a lot of teams in high school.
Speaker 1: See how he does here, all right, and they get Anthony McFarland as well, which is not an easy m hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, he had a little bit easier assignment because McFarlane went up the middle str right, so he didn't have to change direction as much. Kind of went right at Washington. So I didn't learn a ton from that one, but.
Speaker 1: We did not. We've got our little chefski there. Yeah, man, I just you know, looking at this Steelers roster and and uh, we've seen a little bit of kwant Alexander today with the ones. Yeah yeah, yeah out there with Cole Holcombe, and that might end up being their best combination.
Speaker 2: I could see it in terms of range, potential, coverage skills. I think he's gonna push for a starting job or for the second most second level snaps. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That h with that signing. Uh last week, that room was shot in the arm a little bit. Yeah, that room went from being thin to all of a sudden. I look at and go, okay, I guess they get some options there, and they've got some guys there. If something were to happen, for example, you know, one of the things that was a concern for me was Okay, what happens if Cole Holcomb gets hurt? Oh right, well, now you've now you've got you know, another option there that a guy who has done it before and done the same things that they're going to ask Cole Hulkan to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point. He's been around the block. I don't know if he's worn the green dot or not, but he's certainly been on the field in all situations I would think, so I'm assuming he has, you know, but no, all of a sudden, it's like that room was a little frightening. It was a little slower than you would have liked. And now there's a lot more puzzle pieces that don't look the same, you know what I mean. And see how that puzzle comes together when it's all said and done. Oh, this is that rapid fire punt block drill. Yeah, this is it's hard to keep up.
Speaker 1: With guys flying in there and just just getting you know, the the backup kickers or backup punter. She just holds the ball out there and the guys coming he's on a knee and smack it out of his hands.
Speaker 2: Right, he's got a huge bag of balls there and Presley Harvin just gathers them up, puts them in the back of the back to keep the keep the drill going. But this thing, they go through a lot of punt blockers here from all angles.
Speaker 1: When you start looking at the at this roster, Matt is eight linebackers enough hm hmm, four and the four outside, four inside.
Speaker 2: It's questionable. It's questionable. I mean, I'm real comfortable with those four outside guys. And don't think you need a fifth. Yeah, maybe five interior though, five off the ball guys. And again, but we just had this conversation.
Speaker 1: Fifth guy better be good on teams, you better, Tanner muse is that Nick Kwaikowski Chapel Russell's done some things.
Speaker 2: He has done some things. He screams practice squad to me though, yeah he really does.
Speaker 1: Whereas a guy compliment, Yeah, can a guy like you know, can Kwaikowski still be a dude on special teams? That's kind of what he's cut his teeth on. Yes, over the course of his career, as has muss Mus. You've got two guys there who've been special teams dudes over the course of their career.
Speaker 2: They can play on the defense, but it's not ideal.
Speaker 1: That was the beauty of the kwant Alexander signing is you know, prior to that those one of them, I believe it was mus was listed second team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's not exactly what you want right right, especially with where's Mark Robinson and his development. You'd love to keep five of those, But we opened the show talking about the D line depth chart. You'd love to keep seven of those. Yeah, it's both possible. I bet not four outside linebackers. It seems like a done deal though. Yeah, yeah, it seems like it.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think we've seen a little bit of them using Nick Herbig and some coverage tip type of situations. You know, I wonder if that gains more steam as you know, we get into the later stages of training campaign.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, let's see you go line up inside linebacker a little bit. I mean, we know you can rush the passers. Yeah, yeah, maybe that does happen, and you know, let's get the foundation down as an edge dude. I mean, it would make it a lot easier to cut that fifth inside linebacker if you had some reps of him doing it, you know.
Speaker 1: So there is maybe you can keep an extra safety as well, or an extra whatever, you know, cornerback or whatever it may be.
Speaker 2: Maybe even no lineman. I mean, do you really want to cut Spencer Anderson or you know what I mean? Right, I mean, those guys aren't as active on game day, but it's never a bad thing to have a bunch of linemen that can play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and well, I mean that's something you know, the.
Speaker 2: You're probably going to keep four tight ends this year. Most years they kept three, right, you.
Speaker 1: Know, but he also always kept a full back.
Speaker 2: Hayward is anything it's the same, yeah, Hayward? Is that so?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an interesting you want to call it interesting roster construction this year for the Steelers in terms of, yeah, how these pieces all fit together?
Speaker 2: And two notes, And we should never forget that we can't predict the future because we may laugh a week from now sitting here in the booth, going, we didn't know if Herberg would play off the ball linebacker. Now he's the best guy, you know, Like this thing's changed drastically, and unfortunately people are gonna get hurt, you know, Like we're looking at all these options, two or three of them aren't going to be available for opening day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've been very fortunate to this point. The only serious injury that they've had was to Corey Trice.
Speaker 2: And and that's unfortunately.
Speaker 1: That may have answered high questions, Yeah, in terms of the roster construction, because you know, I think a lot of people looked at Trice as well. He was a seventh rounder, but a lot of people had higher grades on him, and yeah, and they were just kind of discounting James Pierre. Well, James Pierre is making this team now. Yeah, and I thought he was going to.
Speaker 2: All along based on special teams out you know, but now you look at that at that cornerback position, you got Levi Wallace, you get Patrick Peterson, Joey Porter making it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, James Pierre.
Speaker 2: I think Pierre is making it. I think those are your four potential outside and there's okay, who's.
Speaker 1: You know there there's room for maybe another guy there.
Speaker 2: I say that spot, maybe you could find a sixth guy, depending.
Speaker 1: On you know, if it's if it's you know, how many Nichols do they keep.
Speaker 2: I think Sullivan has a very good chance to make team. Yeah, Okay, so that would be I don't know how good he is on team.
Speaker 1: Though, I don't know how good he can.
Speaker 2: Mean, he's listened at five to.
Speaker 1: Eleven, one eighty nine. I don't know how much he's played outside in his career.
Speaker 2: Like, if he could do that, I don't see him that way. I'm sure he could. Yeah, but you have four of the can yeah, you know, so, I think Sullivan makes a team. But a sixth corner if it would have been Trice, would have been nice, you know, is nice? Yeah, rhyme?
Speaker 1: So is that the least deep position on the team. I mean, I like their I like the top four guys are all yeah NFL dudes, you know, stagger their ages and expenses and things like that. And I like the fact that you know, they got a guy in Sullivan who's played a lot of snaps in the NFL, and even a guy like Duke Dawson has played a decent number of snaps slot.
Speaker 2: Cornerback Norwood and you get guys like that.
Speaker 1: Some different stuff there, And.
Speaker 2: I think Peterson's role is gonna be different in Black and Gold than it is in other stops.
Speaker 1: But in terms of the pure outside guys.
Speaker 2: One war might not be terrible. Yeah, I mean it's like, you know, one injury away from need one, like you know, who's probably the best of the the other guys there. You got Chris Wilcox we talked about earlier there, Luke Barkhu, he's done some kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: You got Maudri Harper, Isaiah Dunn.
Speaker 2: Maybe the thought is, assuming you stay healthy through the preseason with those top four outside guys, which why would I assume that? But I mean because if you lose one, you might have to go shop.
Speaker 1: Now you're real thin. Yeah, But the.
Speaker 2: More I think through it, maybe you keep five corners and keep the extra d lineman or extra inside linebacker that we were talking about, assuming that the linebacker can help on teams. But maybe you load your practice squad with corners. Maybe you have yea, I should know this, but I don't know usually how many corners they keep on their practice squad, But I would.
Speaker 1: Considers a couple, Yeah, a couple, right. You know you're again, if you've only got five on your active rosters, we need more than at the practice would mind three or four?
Speaker 2: Yea, even on the on there to develop and that position is always hard to find too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so interesting. It's gonna be as we watch this roster build. And that's why these these games, these upcoming games are so important.
Speaker 2: I say, I'm starting to get excited for the Bucks game, just to see the Barkus of the world. Right, Yeah, who do you say, boy, I don't want to get rid of that guy.
Speaker 1: Or you know, I mean, there's there's guys there that you know. I think we've seen Trenton Thompson outside a little bit too. Even though he's listed as a safety, he's more of a defensive back. He could play either either.
Speaker 2: Or Those lines get blurry this time in the modern day NFL too.
Speaker 1: They really do. We're gonna take another break. He is Matt Williams and I am Dale Lot that you're listening to the Drive here on Steelers Nation Radio and ESPN nine seventy. We are live from Steelers training camp here at Saint Vincent College. We'll be back with our number. Well, we'll be back with another hour. R Yeah, let's let's just say it that way. Anyways, we'll be back with more right after.
Speaker 6: This Black and Gold football leaves here twenty four.
Speaker 7: You're listening to SnO Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 4: Steeler fans, if you're looking for other great attractions while in the Laurel Highlands for training camp. Check out Jerry Dulex social video tour of the Laurel Highlands. Learn about incredible sites to see and things to do by visiting go Laurel Highlands dot com.
Speaker 5: Hey, let's get out of here. With Audible, we could root for a lone astronaut as he tries to save Earth from disaster. Maybe go for a run with the founder of the world's biggest sneaker brand. We could get the tee on the real life media local succession drama, or find out what life is really like for an Oscar winning actress. I mean, with Audible, we could go anywhere. There's more to imagine when we listen. Hear the latest audiobooks, podcasts, and originals at audible dot com.
Speaker 8: Discover credit cards automatically double all the cash back you earn at the end of your first year, which means wait, wait, wait, hold up, question for the audio engineer. Go ahead, Did I read that right? Discover automatically doubles all your cash back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what the script says.
Speaker 8: So if I get a Discover card right now, I can earn twice the cash back.
Speaker 7: Apparently, wait, unlimited first year cash back match only from Discover. See terms and learn more at discover dot com slash match.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 9: I'm Aubrey Fraser. I recently went back to school to earn my bachelor's degree in behavioral health from Seaton Hill University. I work full time with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. I'm also married with young children, so I was looking for a program that offered both flexibility and a personal touch.
Speaker 1: The educators at.
Speaker 9: Seton Hill really want you to reach your highest potential. Learn more about online degrees and certificates at Setonhill dot edu slash online.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, now will you be let know.
Speaker 6: What you move in while you move in?
Speaker 1: On a beat?
Speaker 3: Gets back to school at Famous Footwear, which means savings for all with the famous Bogo event. For a limited time, by one pair of shoes and get fifty percent off the next pair from all your favorite brands like a DTAs, new balance bands, and more. This won't last long, so shop online or bring the whole family to a Famous Footwear near you and let our team of sizing experts help every kid by the perfect fit. Buy one item, get a second item of equal or lesser value for half price, some exclusions apply.
Speaker 6: Our neighbors, a smart couple bought an eight thousand dollars maintenance free water treatment system online that did it all. Turns out it wasn't a water software but a descaler and they still love cases of water from the store as Your local Collagon dealers in western Pennsylvania test your homes water for free and provide solutions for water solf name problematic well water and the highest quality drinking water right from your fast starting a nine ninety five a month nine ninety five family owned and operated. Call your local Colligin dealer or visit Getcollagan dot com. Getcollagan dot com limited time offer from your participating dealer.
Speaker 7: At Columbia Gas, our crews are hard at work replacing thousands of miles of aging pipeline. Our new pipes are made to last, and their vibrant yellow color is quite appropriate because we're using them to build a brighter energy future, one where we'll be able to deliver the warmth of natural gas to your home more safely and reliably than ever, while leaving a smaller carbon footprint. Columbia Gas Forward thinking Energy.
Speaker 3: Mister Quean, Mister Qwean,