Speaker 1: Masslave dot Com columnist and co host of the Fenway Rundown podcast, Sean McAdam is joining us right now. Sean, thank you for the time, and it is interesting times up there in Boston. So I'll just start generically with what you think about what they did, Like, how excited is the fan base. Didn't they have one of their best attendance days Tuesday night?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did. They've been selling out Fenway for the better part of this last month, ever since the turnaround began, and I think for the most part, the fan base likes the deals they made earlier this week. They're the kind of deals, frankly that maybe aren't going to be fully evaluated or properly evaluated for a while now, because so much of what the Red Sox gave up are futures young starting pitchers. So it isn't as if they subtracted from the active roster in the middle of a playoff hunt. It's going to take a while to see whether this was a good deal or not. But in the moment, adding somebody like Adley Rutchman and sort of around the fringes of the roster with Eli White as a depth outfielder and Eric Miller as a high leverage lefty in the bullpen. Are certainly the kind of moves that a team in contention would make, and a team that all of a sudden is kind of going for it would make.
Speaker 3: Sean. The reason they sold out was the White Sox were in town. That's why. So let's not. Let's not.
Speaker 4: I didn't diminish the game they played last night and how much the White Sox did not show up to that game.
Speaker 3: So you know Davis Martin brough first inning anyways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've roughed him up twice in the last couple of weeks. They beat him in Chicago too.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't Why are you reminding me, Sean? I was going to give you credit for being a nice guy. Now you're back to being a masshole. So it's fine. It's fine. I love what you just said, though about we won't know for a few years whether this trade matters. Right, That such a difference from what we thought we knew about Craig Breslo.
Speaker 3: It was, we don't want to give up this guy. We don't want to give up this guy. Now, all of a sudden, boom, we give a fifteen.
Speaker 4: Game winning streak we go twenty nine to five in our last thirty four games, and now we'll give up what allegedly is our top prospects.
Speaker 3: What changed just the winning streak?
Speaker 2: Well, I think a couple of things. The winning streak certainly played a role here. They've gone from fourteen games under five hundred to ten games over, and as recently as the day of the deadline they were nine games over. That's a pretty big swing. That's one thing. A second is that it's a wide open American league. As you guys know, there is no super team. It's not like you've got the Dodgers or the Brewers in the National League to worry about. The Red Sox are essentially have snuck up on both the Yankees and Rays in the East. They have gone a combined eight to zero against those two teams head to head in the last month. And there was a pathway to get to the World Series, which would have been laughable only a month ago. And finally, I think there's some impatience on the part of the fan base that ownership and management since it has been eight years since they've been to the World Series. That may not seem like a lifetime for a team that once weathered an eighty six year old drought. But eight years is a long time when you won four in the span of fourteen seasons. And more than that, this team has won one playoff series since it last won its last title in twenty eighteen, so there's been a lot of bloomer busts. They either make the playoffs or finish fourth or fifth in their division. And I think they looked at this and said, you know what, with some tweaking here, we can be the best team in the American League. And they sort of cast aside that idea of sustainability of trying to play meaningful baseball every September and decided to go all In twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: When Craig Breslow spoke to the media specifically about Adlie Rushman's injury, were you looking for us for I mean for Red Sox fans. Do you think Red Sox fans are looking for more of a definitive like, yeah, he's gonna be fine, like Craig Breslo said, I talked to him and it seems to be progressing. Like did that seem like enough of a vote of confidence or Red Sox fans pretty worried about this injury.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're worried, Eric, but I think that was a case of Craig Breslow understanding that the team has been criticized for either misdiagnosing an injury or being overly optimistic about about timetables for return. When Garrett Crochet went on the IL back at the end of April, the stance was well, he may miss a turn, but he'll be back soon, and the same with Rome and Anthony. Before he went on the IL, it was well, we don't know if he's even gonna go on, and if he does, he'll be ready as soon as the stint is up. Those guys haven't played yet, they're not particularly close to playing, and we're now four months later, so they are very much in the crosshairs here in New England for either providing misleading information or information that hasn't been accurate. So I think they're out of the timetable business. And if you listen to that Zoom call and see breslo answering that question, he sort of chuckles about it, which to me was a tell like, oh no, I'm not going down this road again, Sean.
Speaker 4: But isn't this what the teams do now? The Yankees are doing the same thing with Judge. Oh, he had imaging Stanton always close but he can't run yet, right? Isn't this kind of what teams do now? I mean, I guess they close for two years now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so AJ And I'm not sure I see the logic in it, because ultimately you have to answer for it. If you get your fan base all excited that an injury is minor and that a return is imminent, and four months later one of them in this case Roman Anthony is still an extended spring and the other just through for the first time in weeks and weeks on yesterday, then you get exposed. And I'm not saying that they deliberately tried to mislead who knows what the motivation is, the fact is they have been wildly off base in trying to guess when their players are going to rejoin them, and I think they've decided, you know what, we're out of this game. You can't win. You either get criticized or people think that you're lying or hiding things. And so there's no real benefit for them for taking a swing at.
Speaker 1: That this is that time of year. Aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is see geeks time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 4: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees Cubs coming up. Where's Yankees red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up, go to seke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you.
Speaker 1: They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best. Look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Seakeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 5: The fact that they traded Marcela Meyer is that a fault of the development how he was used once he made to the big leagues, or just a prime case of Eric Miller can really sling the rock and he needed somebody to throw well in the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Well, they needed a lefty in that bullpen Eric, particularly in the late innings. They've got a good back end, certainly with Chapman and Whitlock and a guy like Tyrone Guerrero who's really emerged as a late inning force with a lot of swing and miss to his game, but they didn't have that power lefty to match up in October should they get there, and I think that was a priority on trade deadline day. Now, the fact that they gave up Marcelo Meyer is in itself somewhat revealing, and I think it's indicative of the fact that this guy was once the fourth overall pick and was supposed to be a Corey Seeger type player. That is, someone who a left handed hitting shortstop with a big frame who could slug and be an all around all star. That didn't work out. Obviously. Part of that is Meyer couldn't stay on the field in each of his last four pro seasons, not just the two that were spent in the big leagues. The last four seasons in the Red Sox organization, his year ended prematurely because of injury. There was a shoulder, there was a lumbar, there was a wrist, and this was a forearm this year. So that certainly curtailed his development. Even those two or three years in the minor leagues where he was injured, he lost a lot of development time. And then when he got opportunities as he did last year when Bregman got hurt and they plugged him in at third base, he didn't perform. Now, obviously that's not terribly rare for even the best prospects to come up and struggle and not succeed right away. But I think you add all the things in the inability to stay healthy, the not performing when he had opportunities, and a very crowded middle infield situation. Here I should add story under contract for one more year. Franklin Arius a top five prospect shortstop now at Triple A Wooster. You know they've got all kinds of options there, and I think that Marcelo Meyer went from this great, can't miss prospect to kind of just a guy here that they could afford to give up for a reliever.
Speaker 3: Sean. You mentioned the injuries. Is this a development thing with the Red Sox.
Speaker 4: Because again, Costas was supposed to be can't miss, Meyer was supposed to be cant miss Roman. Anthony has been missed basically the entire year. I mean, we can go Christian Campbell. I know he's not hurt, but he's in Triple A.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: There's been a lot of these guys that we hear about Red Sox, Red Sox, Red Sox. Here comes the next wave of talent. They either get injured or they don't pan out. Is this a development thing or is this just bad luck?
Speaker 2: I think a lot of it is bad luck. Aj You know that some guys have have flopped, and Campbell is a perfect example of that, a guy that got a pretty big contract extension just a few days into his rookie season and now is kind of mired at Triple A with no spot on the big league roster for him and a long contractual commitment. But a lot of this is bad luck. You know, Casas blew out a knee running to first base and then has had several setbacks last year. Anthony had the oblique in August that kept him out the rest of the year. You guys know, that's an injury that lingers and can't be hurried back from. Meyer had the litany of injuries that I went through. The odd thing is is that the Red Sox have gone from an organization that seemingly always has good prospect position players coming into their system and one that couldn't produce pitching to the exact opposite. You look at the staff now and you see Jake Bennett not someone they fully developed. Obviously they traded for him in this past winter, but guys like Peyton, Toley and Connolly Early who they traded to get Curtis Mead. All of a sudden, they're flushed with young pitching, but a lot of their position player prospects have either for health or performance or both have stalled out on them.
Speaker 3: M interesting. Interesting, I don't know, it's interesting. It's interesting.
Speaker 4: It's an interesting argument, Sean, where certain organizations seems to have better luck with pitching, hitting, injuries.
Speaker 3: Not right, it's it's just it's always interesting.
Speaker 1: The Brewers developed pitching, the Guardians developed pitching, the Mariners keep pitching healthy.
Speaker 6: Right, there's identities.
Speaker 5: The White Sox.
Speaker 6: You used to be part of a White Sox team that kept pictures.
Speaker 3: Healthy, kept everyone healthy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, there's a difference.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know, We'll see.
Speaker 4: I can't wait this This this Retchmen trade to me is fascinating just from now because Adly needs to get back obviously, But then three four years from now, if he doesn't sign back with the Red Sox, then see what Aaronson becomes, and see what Witherspoon becomes. And you know, the Narvaia's was just the Orioles had a catcher since they got rid of all their catchers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's not unlike the Crochet deal in that deal got a lot better, even though he hasn't contributed much this year, had kind of a lousy first month of the season, and then has been out with the shoulder issue since. But I think everyone agrees that Garrett Crochet is a frontline, top of the rotation starter who they now have under control. But that deal got a lot better when they extended him, and I think the same probably applies to Rutchman. The difference is that even though Crochet had Tommy John early in his career with the White Sox, that Rutchman's career has been much more stalled by injury and whether the Red Sox want to make that long term commitment to a guy who's been pretty banged up in his mid to late twenties and is going to be twenty nine if you extend him past next year.
Speaker 6: Hey, Sean, last one for me is Jaron Duran.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know I had a bomb last night, and we've all seen him be one of the better players in the game a couple of years ago. It's not been the same since he's been around trade rumors for a while and he seems to be kind.
Speaker 6: Of trashing himself.
Speaker 1: I know he's a very very vocal, out there, straightforward guy about how he's feeling, and he's not afraid to say I stink right now or for the entire season, we've had him on our show. So where's he at more? I would say mentally even than physically production wise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as recently as the last road trip, when I'm sure you guys saw the video of him being frustrated that Wilson Contreras didn't tag up and score on that. After that game, he was really kind of ripping himself. He's a guy who's emotional, who talks a lot about what he's feeling, and he's frustrated by the fact that he's hitting two ZHO five and we're into August. The odd thing is is that there's a lot more slug to his game this year. You know, he's got fifteen or sixteen homers now. He's he had been a obviously a speed and athletic guy in his first few years, with the ability to hit doubles and occasionally hit the ball out of the yard. This year it's been less of that profile and more of the swing and miss with some extra base production. So Chad Tracy, the interim manager, was talking about his struggles a week ago, and he pointed out that Duran is a completely different player with runners in scoring position. He's sitting close to three hundred in those situations, and the slug is there in ways in which it hasn't been, So it's like he's kind of traded in one part of his game for the other. He's frustrated that he's strike that he's been striking out as much, that he hasn't made more regular contact and contributed more offensively. But he's played a very good left field and he's contributed with the extra base production, so it's kind of a trade off. But I think Duran is the kind of guy who beats up and beats himself up lot and is always going to find fault and be frustrated over something about his game.
Speaker 1: For parents looking for a new path to help your child succeed this year, there's still time to enroll in K twelve powered online schools. K twelve Powered schools offer tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Tod Father take it away.
Speaker 7: Stride is a wonderful option for anybody that's always on the run. I mean, look at myself, from playing baseball to helping out a lot of people. Stride is fantastic for your child to be homeschool. They will love it no matter what.
Speaker 1: K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real time support, all in an online setting that works for your family at home or anywhere that there's internet. If you're on the go, it could be for you. It's not too late to enroll this fall. See how K twelve powered schools can help your child thrive this year and beyond. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul that's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash f o u l k twelve dot com slash foul k twelve, serving three million students and counting. Yeah, I mean, I like the honest I know that sometimes, you know, you guys can say if the teammates calling you out, you're not going to be too pleased, but.
Speaker 6: Figure it out after the game.
Speaker 3: No, I mean he I think that was just more of a.
Speaker 4: I don't know, just it got caught on camera, and I think it was I think he was more frustrated himself. It seemed like like he was more like, gosh, I got to get that guy in. And I know he outwardly showed it towards Contreras, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's it's a weird. It's a weird dynamic.
Speaker 4: But they're still winning, so who cares what he's doing At this point, we all know that what we're winning, nobody cares.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that's absolutely true that if this had happened maybe five six weeks ago, when these guys were you know, ten twelve, fourteen games under five hundred, then it becomes more of a story because they are hot, and they went three and one in Sacramento and just swept the Dodgers and came home and beat up on the White Sox. That it's a slip. Sorry, it's a blip. It does not become, you know, much of a story, and it's gone after twenty four hours.
Speaker 5: They used to not even be a story. They beat the White Sox. Who cares but one story? That is what's the difference in the vibe? What'sn't the difference in the vibe between Cora as the manager and Chad Tracy as a manager.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I can answer that, Eric. I mean a lot of these guys were familiar with Chad Tracy because he had been the Triple A manager for the previous four and a half seasons. And whether there were homegrown guys coming up through the system like Meyer, like Anthony, like Rafaela, like a bray, you, they had all had some experience with him, or guys that went on rehabit rehab assignments after injuries and went for you know, five days, ten days and Worcester. So he was not somebody that got plopped in and had to introduce himself to all twenty six guys, So I think there was a familiarity and a comfort factor with him right from the beginning, and he's been a guy that has He's definitely a player manager, that's his profile. He's reluctant to be critical at all in the media of any player. He defends players. You know, there was a when they kind of bottomed out early in the year and lost two out of three in Denver to the Rockies. Tracy sent every guy on the team a text message that said, Hey, I'm with you. We're down now, but I know we're coming back, and when we're when we do come back, I'm going to be with you. Then I think he really tapped into the personal side with them and let them know that he had their back, that he wasn't going to throw him under the bus because the team wasn't performing well. And I think over time they got a little healthier, they started getting more contributions from other guys, including a lot of depth and four A guys that weren't necessarily part of the picture at the start of the year. And you guys know how it is when a team starts to get on a roll and you don't have much better of a role than you know. Thirty two and eight over the last forty.
Speaker 1: Sean awesome insight. Thank you for joining us. Fun deadline to cover and you've got you got something to cover the.
Speaker 3: Last albunthould be fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it should be great.
Speaker 1: Make sure you check out John's workmass live dot com and also his podcast which I go sock cop there Fenway Rundown podcast, Go look it up. Thank you, Yes, go socks in jenneral either sock you could pick either either sock or both.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jan, thanks for having me guys.
Speaker 1: Hey Also Atley Ruschman new to the party, debuting sometime soon. We have a shirt for it with his signature Adley Richman Shirts fol Territory shop dot com. Marty Caswell joining us right now and you hear her on prior Territory. I listened last night to the Trade Deadline episode with her and Darren.
Speaker 6: It was awesome Marty.
Speaker 1: Great to see you again, and thank you for giving FT some love on that episode, being like cool, real, recognize real, everybody thinks. Aj Preller again had a really nice trade deadline. So let's dive deeper into it. Casey, Miz Robbie Ray how surprised, were you and Padres fans When some say Aj Preller doesn't have any prospects left.
Speaker 6: Apparently he did.
Speaker 8: I think Aj Preller loves hearing that.
Speaker 9: I think the surprise that I had and a lot of Padres fans had, they were able to add two starting pictures and not have to give up any other guys in their bullpen.
Speaker 8: Mason Miller was never going to be traded.
Speaker 9: That they were able to go in old Adrian morrohone who can be a agent after the season. They can keep Jeremiah Estrada, Wandy Peralta, Yuki Matsuey. I think I think we are pleasantly surprised that the Padres were able to go ahead and give up prospects that are not going to impact We're not expected to impact the.
Speaker 8: Padres in the foreseeable future.
Speaker 9: So listen on that last home stand, which we said, with a crucial homestand right six games versus the Rockies and the Giants, the Padres got a total of ten point one innings from their starting pitching, okay for Michael King and Walker Bueler. The rest of it was made out of bullpen games. You guys know, not sustainable if you want to be a legitimate playoff team. So the Padres adding Robbie Ray and Casey Mize and not giving up their top prospect and Ethan Sallas a very pleasant surprise, probably different the pitch.
Speaker 4: He did do well, But yes, they need starting pitching. But I'll just have one question, what changed with the hitting? All of a sudden they can hit. The Padres can hit. Is it because they traded for starting pitching?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Oh, what changed with the hitting? We'll go back to the starting pitching. But I got to talk about the hitting.
Speaker 9: That's a great question because I think aj Proler made it clear. Here are the pictures. It lies to our guys. Manny Machado has to hit. Jackson Merrill has to hit. Erniera Tatis has to keep doing what he's doing and be more consistent.
Speaker 8: And hopefully some more slug.
Speaker 9: I think it's been their patients at the patients of the plate with the strike zone. So I know there's a lot of heat on this offense, on the hitting coach, on their approach, but they figured something out and they went from the worst offense in baseball gosh in June, to really a top five offense. More of what we expected. And they've also got some health too. Jake Pruinworth, Jake Quinnworth had a concussion that he played with. It was for a couple of weeks, then he goes on the injured list. He's been a lot better since he returned. Freddy for Mean got hit in the head quite a few times as well. I think he had at least two stints on the concussion list. Since he came back, he's been a lot better. The padres are healthier right now, but the most importantly approach at the plate, more patience has really helped this offense right.
Speaker 5: I need you to break down what you're seeing from Manny Machado in the last What is it? What did you say? How many games? I forget how many games Manny's success? Does that make him a better leader in the clubhouse? Was he not as engaging or the team not as engaged with him when he wasn't doing well? Because he's never really struggled in his career for a long extended period.
Speaker 8: Now it was it was puzzling for him.
Speaker 9: He's never he has never dealt with anything like this in his entire career. Eric, when you mentioned his I'm sorry, what is engaging. I don't think the leadership is ever The leadership thing with Manny has not been an issue. I know he's gotten a wrap around baseball for you know, the hustle or whatnot. But the work ethic was never in question. He's usually one of the first guys out there. He's always getting his work in and he had no answers to as to why he was struggling. It wasn't it wasn't a healthy I mean, he deals with certain things that we find.
Speaker 8: Out about often after the season, but Manny Machado said a lot of it was luck. He got unlucky.
Speaker 9: I don't know what changed with his approach now. He did speak early about working in the off season with a different hitting coach and it took him a while to go ahead and get his stance back and adapt. But he has been a much different hitter since June, and it's it's it's helped carry this Padres offense. The Padres we're gonna go, as Craig Stamman said, the Padres were only going to go as far as Manny takes them, and he has been a difference maker.
Speaker 8: Same thing for Jackson Merrill.
Speaker 9: As of late who dealt with the first real struggles of his entire.
Speaker 8: Of his career.
Speaker 4: All right, Marty, now we can go to the pictures. We got my favorite part of the hitting out of the way, so now let's go to the pictures. Robbie Ray, right, Casey Miz both yes, hey, SuDS, right, you had him to Michael King, you had him to this bullpen. Is this enough for the Padres to make a run to the World Series? You know, play the Dodgers. They first they have to get there, but then they got to play the Dodgers, the Phillies, the Braves, the Brewers, the Cubs. Is this starting rotation and bullpen enough with this offense?
Speaker 8: The bullpen?
Speaker 9: Yes? Could that's your biggest check mark right now? You knew the Padres biggest strength going in was going to.
Speaker 8: Be their bullpen, especially the back end with Morhone and Miller.
Speaker 9: And yes they had they were pitching chaos is what Craig Stamon called it, because they were going with you know, bullpen games started by JP Sears or Waldy Peralta. But right now, when you can add Casey Miz, Robbie Ray and Robbie Ray himself has more quality starts than the entire Padres team. That's a huge difference. It also takes some pressure off of Michael King. I know j probably would have liked to have added one more lefty bat right. You need to show that up about out in left field, especially with Ramon Laurento out for the season.
Speaker 8: The Padres are hopeful that they will.
Speaker 9: Get Miguil and Duharr back, probably late late in August, maybe early September. Also Samad Taylor, who is out with the Obliker injury, they're expecting him back in a couple of weeks too. So they're hoping right now that what you're seeing from Manny Machado and Jackson Merrill and for no tatist is sustainable, that this offense is who we think or expected them to be, And you take some pressure off of Michael King, King, Buehler, Robbie Ray, Casey miz that's a legitimated rotation. I think Randy Vasquez game a bit of a spark yesterday with six innings.
Speaker 8: It was the.
Speaker 9: Padres only their third quality start since June third, and the first by a picture not named Michael King or Walker Bueller. So you add those to those guys who can eat up some innings. That's a huge boose for the Padres. This series with the Diamondbacks is massive. The Padres will see them again the final three games of the regular season.
Speaker 8: I think right now they're feeling pretty pretty good. They added not just one picture, they added too. That's a huge difference.
Speaker 9: And we'll see what happens with with Paveta and Musgrove. If one of those guys can come back or both, that's an added bonus for the Padres. But I don't know that if you're a j prowler that you went into the deadline expecting either of them to come back or be impactful that if they can get one of those guys back, that to me is just an added bonus for this for this team.
Speaker 5: Well, before we get to the whole Paveda and Muscrove thing, like you just said, well, who gets pushed out? Who gets pushed out when one of those guys, I think one of those guys comes back and is a starter for this team. Who gets pushed out? Is it Walter Buehler, Is it Randy Vasquez?
Speaker 8: That's a that's a great question.
Speaker 9: I know the Padres would like to go ahead and give Walker Bueller more oft more time off in between starts at thirty two years old and a couple of years removed from his Tommy John, We're gonna see a lot of I mean, it's a good problem to have, right, We're gonna see what happens when the Padres activate Robbie Ray today. I don't know, doubt that her mom Markus did himself any favors yesterday. Griffin Canning has struggled as well.
Speaker 8: But it's a good problem for the Padres to have.
Speaker 9: Maybe they can piggyback a couple of guys and do that rather than the pitching chaos they've had to depend on to get to this point.
Speaker 4: Marty, what about Nick Pavetta. We saw him yesterday through too too. He walked straight to the dugout it's hurt, and then he went. But then he went through twenty pitches afterwards. So was he like I have never seen this in my life where a guy just says, Nope, forget the trainer, I'm just leaving the field on my own.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good will.
Speaker 9: He felt something in his elbow and it was the first time that he had felt something as he makes his rehab. He pitched in a bullpen session at Petco Park, as did Joe Musgrove over the weekend. He did not feel anything, but yesterday he felt something in his elbow. He took himself out, he went into the into the clubhouse and with a trainer, he sat on the bench.
Speaker 8: He started to feel a little bit better.
Speaker 9: So then he goes into a clothed into a cage and he threw and he felt better. So I thought Joe Musgrove had a good point when I asked him about what he's seen from from Pavetta as they rehad back, and he said, I think for him it's confidence in trusting his arm. There's been days where it's been hard for him to re let the ball go and be confident going through his motion. So he thinks of maybe there's a mental block, and if I ripped this, am I going to do something myself back. As you guys know, Nick Pavetta has a very important date coming up on August twenty second. If he does not return by that point, the Padres can turn his player option, which amounts to thirty two million dollars, into a team option.
Speaker 8: So I don't know if Paveta is feeling just all.
Speaker 9: That pressure of that date and the uncertainty of his future and what could happen. But he felt something yesterday. The Padres are waiting to see how he feels today, how he came out of his additional throwing session before they make any any additional moves or release any information. But how he came out of that second session will say a lot. The good news for the Padres they don't have to race him back. The same thing for Joe Muskrove because they have the two additional arms. But it's not good not good news for Nick Pavetta, who is working to come back and likely was on track to return of the Padres before August twenty second, if he didn't have any setback. So we're going to see if yesterday was a physical setback. But as one member of the Padre said, the fact that he felt something the very first time he threw off a mound in an actual game does not necessarily bode bode well for Nick. So fingers crossed for him, But I have never seen that before. The fans who were around it thought that he decided it was a strike, was strike three, and he just walked off. But the plan for Bavetta yesterday was for him to go two to three innings, as did Musgrove. Musgrove going but two and two thirds and thirty nine pitches, So we'll see my favorite lot of.
Speaker 5: We watched him. If you watched the second baseman, third basement or second bass and first basement, base runner, first base coats, they're all just like what so, yeah, nobody's nobody's.
Speaker 9: No one new no fans. Fans didn't know. The umpire seemed confused. The guys in the dugout like what's what's going on? Like waving him back, like hey, that's that's just two outs.
Speaker 8: So I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: The uh.
Speaker 5: The Padres fans have to be optimistic about the future because clearly a J Pereller was allowed to spend some money, which everybody knows that the new ownership is coming on board, and you would think they wouldn't like not spend money. Well, you just don't know. He was allowed to spend money. Is that Is that true? Or is that positive for the future?
Speaker 9: Eric took on I think eight million dollars by adding those two players, which is I think, which is great because we didn't know that's been the big question mark, and that was the question that was asked of you know, of Preller when he spoke to the media before the trade deadline, because he doesn't necessarily have the conversations with the new ownership group Jose Feliciano and Kwanza Jones.
Speaker 8: And by the way, they are expected to go ahead and.
Speaker 9: Take the reins the official rains from the Seiler family in the next I think next week and a half or so. But yes, Preller made it clear to us in his trade deadline zoom that he was able. He has been in talk with the ownership group and that allowed him to go ahead and take on a little bit of money, a little bit of money at this deadline. So yes, the fact that he was able to do this bodes well. Hopefully we'll find we will find out a lot more about the ownership group when they speak to us in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: But I think it's a good sign.
Speaker 9: And listen, you guys see it man, they're packing it in at Peco Park. I would be shocked if every single game the rest of the season is not a sellout, which is a complete different scene from what we see the team they're chasing in the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Padres are on track to draw more than three million fans for the fourth consecutive year. If you're that ownership group, and this is what you paid the record three point nine billion dollar dollars four for this franchise, you want the sellouts, you want the playoffs. And the fact that they agent Peller add some money the deadline is a very good sign. I think for Padres fans they should be excited because they went for it.
Speaker 8: AJ Pler went for it, That's what he said.
Speaker 9: I saw you, I saw I love your criticism on the Brewerism then not going after school. Well, when they had this chance, the Padres a J. Peler, they know they have a very particular window with this group of players. And so when you're going for it, when your goal is we have a chance to the playoffs, man, we're going to go for it. It's a good sign that they spend some money.
Speaker 6: Someone's like, nope, you're good.
Speaker 1: Well, perfect timing actually, and I love literally all fifteen minutes of this. So Wright, you go answer the door. Tell them next time. They got to know that you're live on the show.
Speaker 9: But yeah, last week, okay, and I have one more point for aj Prazinski, because the last time you were on the show, you're asking me what does it take to go ahead and get a.
Speaker 8: Player on this show. The answer was very, very obvious.
Speaker 9: You call your buddy the Pope and you say listen, you have him put a request into the padres say listen, listen.
Speaker 4: I would they would still say they're focusing on playing. They would still say that, no, no, and that only works Marty for the White Sox, because he's a White Sox.
Speaker 3: That only works with that.
Speaker 1: They would say, Pope doesn't like us, it's ever focusing on just because we're the Friars.
Speaker 3: I mean that we we believe that, you know.
Speaker 6: We pad guys on.
Speaker 4: We've had yeah, that show, listen, Marty, we we like I mean, there's there's a bunch that we've had on. We've had Chrome Zone on.
Speaker 3: We've had.
Speaker 8: Awesome.
Speaker 6: Mason Miller comes on all the time.
Speaker 3: Mason Miller's awesome.
Speaker 8: He's great. Mason Gillers Miller not traded. What a bonus.
Speaker 4: Yes, I can't wait, I can't wait. This is gonna be fun, especially since Fox has the National League this year. Marty, and I mean, I probably but I would love to do the Padres Dodgers series again like I got to do four years ago with the Goose and the whole thing that landed is a great rivalry.
Speaker 6: And so great a lot of teams.
Speaker 1: Because I've been listening to every FT Network show and their trade deadline shows, Marty and you know some fans, you know, sending in questions and hosts answering there, why didn't we get Mason Miller.
Speaker 6: Mason Miller wasn't available at the end.
Speaker 1: Did listen probably, but by the time we got to the deadline and they were playing well and he's like, nothing's going to move him.
Speaker 6: So for fans that he wasn't going anywhere, right, he was not.
Speaker 8: I think Miller kind of knew he's because.
Speaker 9: When we were asking him about the trade allin speculation, he would say, I see what's out there. I see it on the internet. I'm hearing it on foul Territory. But based on his conversation with management, he had a pretty good indication he wasn't going anywhere.
Speaker 8: I mean, aj.
Speaker 9: Preller has coveted three players badly that I know of in his tenure as Padre's GM. When was Shohio Tani didn't get him. The other was Juan Soto got him, and the other was Mason Miller and he gave up his favorite son, devrees to get him. Mailer was not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Wait one more, I think there's one more to add to the four. That wasn't he obsessed with Trey Turner because he gave him away and then he was trying to get him back and all that.
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, he did try to get Trey Turner back. That was That was the first that was I think, like Prolers first thing when he when he became GM, was to get rid of every single player that was drafted by Josh Burns. And so I remember how strange it was seeing trade Turner. He couldn't get rid of him yet he's there on spring training knowing he's going to be traded.
Speaker 8: It was so awkward.
Speaker 9: But yes, he tried to get him back and did and that didn't work right.
Speaker 1: So, yes, he pursues the top talent and he's got a good track record, and he's he's a fun GM to follow. Fans cannot complain about the activity that he creates. All right, go for it, Marty, do your thing. We've kept you long enough have fun kidd us. Yeah, perfect time. Do your thing, Marty, thank you, love it, love it. It's summertime. Kids are, kids are everywhere, They're home exactly. Marty's awesome. Check her out with Darren Smith. Check him out on Friar Territory.
Speaker 6: Looking on the screen.
Speaker 1: An episode that had Kirchin, they're great, they're trade deadline episode was really what it did.
Speaker 6: Give it a listen.