Speaker 1: Welcome with the Good Stuff. I'm Jacob Shick and I'm joined by my co host and wife, Ashley Shick.
Speaker 2: Jacob is a third generation combat Marine who runs an organization called One Tribe Foundation that focuses on mental and emotional wellness. I am a gold Star granddaughter, and we both come from families that are rich in military history and very proud Americans.
Speaker 1: We believe everybody's got a story worth telling. It involves inspiration and perseverance, and we believe that we tell these stories to give people the extra that they need to not only live, but live well. Welcome to the Good Stuff today. Our guess is Judy Littlefield, author of the book The Other Man Down, A Mother's Journey after the American Sniper Tragedy.
Speaker 2: Many of you are familiar with the story of the American Sniper Chris Kyle, the Navy Seal sniper who returned home a war hero, devoted himself to helping veterans suffer with PTS, and was killed by one of the very men he was trying to help.
Speaker 1: Well, Chris Kyle wasn's the only man who lost his life that day. His best friend was by a side, a best friend who was equally devoted to helping our vets returning home. That man is Judy Littlefield's son, Chad Littlefield. These horrendous and cowardly murders happened over ten years ago. Their impact has an ongoing ripple effect throughout the.
Speaker 2: Entire world, and today we are celebrating the life of Chad Littlefield. So this episode is very personal to us. Jake was honored to be involved in the filming of Clint Eastwood's film American Snipers, starring Bradley Cooper's Chris Kyle, and through his involvement, we had the incredible honor of meeting Don and Judy Littlefield, Chad's parents, who we now consider family. We are so thrilled today to be sitting around the dining room table here in DeSoto, Texas of a beautiful Texas lady inside and out that we've been ends with for a while.
Speaker 1: Missus Judy Littlefield, better known as Mama Littlefield to us, I just can't call you Judy little Field. Just feels wrong.
Speaker 3: I think, not.
Speaker 2: Your mama, your mama. We've actually known each other for years. We met at an event in Fort Worth, I think eight years ago, and just so grateful for that friendship. But I know you and Jake have actually known each other for quite a while, longer a little bit.
Speaker 1: I don't remember how I met Mama and Coach. So do you recall our first interaction?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do. It was at the premiere of The American Sniper. Don and I were sitting there. We had been invited by Tea Kyle to be there, and we had just gotten some devastating news about the details of how Chad had been killed, and we were so weary, you know, it was just all we could do to get to the theater. And we were setting up in the audience. They turned the house lights up and before we knew it, Jacob and d come up and Jacob leaned over it and said, I'm so sorry for your loss, and I told him, I said, you know what, that meant a lot to me, because we were so overwhelmed of the news we had gotten, and we even considered not going, but we did anyway. And that Jacob Schick, this big bad marine, cared enough to come up and love on us and comfort us. And that's what that's when I first met him. He's just been my boy ever since.
Speaker 1: I know that I can speak for Rashley as well when I say we've cherished every moment and that you both are very near and dear to our heart, and we are just honored.
Speaker 3: And privileged to call you family on our side too.
Speaker 1: I distinctly remember Bradley and Taya setting up the premiere and us standing in the front, right in front of the screen, and then you all were acknowledged, and I remember badly looking at me and he said, you got anything you want to say something? But I remember because all I could think about was just I wanted. I just wanted to hug y'all. And I just said no, you know, because to me, nothing else seems to be said, right, I could just need everything said. We setting up a film, and I remember that distinkly well.
Speaker 3: There were a lot of veterans in the audience that night, and they had stood up and applauded us when Taya had said we were in the audience, and we were still processing that. We thought, these war heroes are standing up and acknowledging us, who are we?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And then you came up. So we just fell apart. You know. The news that we had gotten the day before just kind of faded, you know, in the distance. We had new good information to process, you know, we were able to a table the other and until the trial hit. You know.
Speaker 1: So it's so important those little moments, you know, they're so important. I think there those those moments where it carries us to the to the next yard line. I'm grateful that I got that moment. That was a hectic day because you know, I hadn't watched you know, I got hit. Oh four September, oh fourth is when I got hurt in Iraq. I had not watched a war movie, war show, anything until the premiere. And I've told Ashays, I've told lots of people this I felt. And I didn't have to write. It's not mandated that I do go to the premiere, but I felt as though I owed it to the Kyle family and do y'all to sit and go through that film and watch it beginning to end, to have a genuine and authentic take in reaction to it. And so that was the first war movie that I sat down and watched since the day got hurt.
Speaker 2: N four, Mama little Field, will you please tell us about Chad.
Speaker 3: I had a son by a previous marriage, but Chad was our only biological child, and I had had three miscarriages, and I really got mad at God because I thought, why even let me get pregnant if I can't carry that baby. So Donn had given up any chance of ever having a child. And then I got pregnant with Chad and was able to carry him. And he was our miracle baby because you know, we hadn't had one but then, and he was due on Valentine's Day, so he became our love baby also, you know, but he decided to come on eleventh instead. You know. Anyway, I guess I learned even through that you don't get bitter. Didn't help anything, you know, And it made me appreciate when we did have him. Little did I know we'd only have him thirty five years. But we have to rejoice in that time we had and not mourn what might have been. You know.
Speaker 2: I know Chad came over and spent that afternoon with you the day before he was killed. Will you please tell us about that? He said, he talked about all kinds of things and life is so good it's almost scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if he told me. We talked about where he was spiritually, and they had started going to Cowboy Church, and he said, Mom, I got to get in there and learn these Bible stories. My little girl knows more than I do. And I had done, and I had been named Volunteers of the month at our church. So that was written up and I showed that to him and I said it's not very big and he said, Mom, what makes you think that's not a big deal. So I got that approval from him, you know, before he left this earth. He stood up at the bar and he said, Mom, I would take a bullet for Chris chat don't talk like that. And he did. He did exactly that the next day. But he said on the couch, he said, mom, life is so good, it's scary. Little did we know that it would all be over the next.
Speaker 2: Day he talked about being a father, Yeah.
Speaker 3: How he wanted his little girl raised. And keep in mind that his little girl turned seven two weeks before he was killed. He and his wife had waited five years before they had a child. Chad told him one time, little girl said, Dad, I want a brother or sister, And Chad says, you want to college education our brother and sister. I can't afford both that sacks and so many times and I have learned this. My reaction when he left that day was, oh gosh, I didn't know he was going to stay this long. I have work to do, you know, real work. Little did I know that that conversation, every word would be something I would treasure for the rest of my life, you know, go over and over all of that, because it was the last words we had with him.
Speaker 1: What I see for that to be the last earthly encounter in that way, especially working in the line of work that I'm in now, with the foundation we do with a lot of loss, and it's I just can only imagine how much it's played a role for you and your family to be able to spread love and to be genuine and authentic and subd.
Speaker 3: Lovell And it was such a blessing that we had that time. You know, military families and gold Star they might not have seen their son or their daughter in the last year, last nine months. I walked away that day and I thought, I never have to say if I had one more I love you, or one more kiss or one more hug, because God gave me all of those things in that day. And we're given nuggets, but we have to be able to look for them and everything that seems like a chaos situation.
Speaker 1: Where was he spiritually when he came over.
Speaker 3: We raised our boys with a strong faith and in church, and Chad had kind of wavered on and off from the faith, but he never wavered from his beliefs. That day he told me that he was a believer, and you know, if anything ever happened him, he knew where he would go. So that was not even a question when he was killed.
Speaker 1: Through this horrendous tragedy, was there some sense of comfort in that and having that conversation and knowing that.
Speaker 3: Oh, definitely, definitely. After he got out of the house, it was like we never never mentioned it again. But it was rare that unless he was in trouble, and then you know, we really prayed, you know, to get him out of that. I remember one time he lost his company credit card and oh he went home, tore the house up looking for that credit card and everything. He called me and please pray, I've got to have that. I've got to come up with that company credit card. So, I mean, he was just a cousin and everything all day long. And then that evening he called me and he said, well, Jesus did it. And I said what And he said, I found my credit card. I said, wonderful, where was it? He said, well, I'd gone to the bathroom and dropped my wallet in the bathroom and it was in there. So it all worked out. But you know, he would just get so so fried over something, you know, But it was a truly a comfort to know that I would see him again. That's our hope, you know that we will be with him again, that he's not gone forever.
Speaker 2: Talk if you will, please about the relationship between christ and Chad.
Speaker 3: Okay, they met on the soccer field. Their little girls played soccer together, and they had to get out and the coaches were not adequate. You know, they had to help the coaches.
Speaker 1: You know, I can't look, It's just the way it is with two sons that play sports. You feel like sometimes you have to assist.
Speaker 3: With vigor the finer lines.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Anyway, they met out there and I guess started talking, and then I guess Chris started telling him stories about the Navy Seals and stuff like that, and like I said, Chad was patriotic. And then Chris was doing fundraisers for veterans and he invited Chad along. One man introduced himself to Chad. He said, I know you, and Chad said, it scared me because I wasn't military and I wasn't nave sealing. You know, I didn't know who he thought I was. And Chad to him, says, you don't know me. He said, I'm not military. He said, yeah, you are. You are the one that brought Chris out of his darkest hours. And it was just you know, Chad told me, he said, Mom, I didn't know he was doing talk therapy, you know, when they're working out, you know, but you know, it helped. And Chad was a good listener. And if Chris wanted to talk and talk about things that bothered him, Chad would listen. If not, they would just work out quietly and split their ways. You know. They became good friends that way to Chris, and that's what he needed at the time. The next morning, February, the second, he had texted me because we had an inheritance that finally came through, and he was always seizing me. Hey, let me give you my bank account number. You know, you'll you'll probably need that to put that in my bank. You know. Chad was a funny kid. You know, we were disciplinarians. But you know all of his friends, you know, they wanted Chad to be their party in the life of the party. But I sent him a text and I said, look what I learned to do. And he said, oh, mom, I had to pull over the side of the road. I could not believe you were texting. It's a big deal.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean that even that plays into the story because that morning you were texting with him.
Speaker 3: Anyway, he told me. Then after that text, he said, we got a marine that's not doing well and Chris and I are going to take him to the range and just get him out for the day. So I knew where Chad was and they went down there. This was I don't know nine or ten o'clock in the morning, I guess on a Saturday morning. So that was the last text that I got from Chad and we went on the day. Don and I are very active in our church and we usually keep Saturdays open. We usually don't go out on a Saturday night because then were too tired to get up and go do anything Sunday. But this time we were having a ladies conference and I had to get up and go set up the display and everything. And because I'm pretty high maintenance, I had to make sure that my clothes were picked out and that, you know, my hair was done, and I was ready to go. God forbid that my makeup was not ride or something like that. You know, late, always on time, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Me neither right, always late.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. So we went about our business and we got a call from Taya, Chris's wife, and she said, we need to come. You need to come to my house. And Don said why, and she said, there's been an accident and you need to get your wife and come to our house. And from our house to they live in Middalothian, Texas, it's about fifteen miles and it's dark, winding roads. I mean there's no light at all out there, so you just kind of you have to know where you're going, you know, you get lost. So we got out there. There was probably a two block perimnium around the house that you couldn't even get through, and cars were just lined up everywhere, and the police stopped us and we told them we were the little Fields and the policeman said, we know Chris has been shot but we don't know about Chad yet, and I thought, how strange is that that you know my son's first name. And anyway, he led us through and so Donn and I walked hand in hand up to the house with the lights. And this was maybe nine thirty at night. The garage door was open and law enforcement was everywhere. There was FBI and Navy seal, local police, DPS officers, you know, just everywhere. And they directed us through the kitchen and my former daughter in law met us there and she said, Chris has been shot. We don't know about Chad. So we all went and sat down. Ta had come in, Chris's wife had come in, and we were all in a very dim lit room and people were whispering. Nobody was talking out loud at all, and it was full of people, I mean, people lying around the walls, and nobody sat except for the family, you know. And TAA came in and she said, now there's people here, Navy seals. If y'all need anything, they can help you. And I said, if you would show me where a trash can is, i'd appreciate it. On to get rid of my gum, and this man just held out his hand to take my gun, and I thought, I said, no, just give me a tissue or something, and you know, no, I'll take it. I said, okay, and then asked for a glass of water, and it was right there. I mean, they just took it off the candet and I thought, whose water was this? Whose water am I drinking? But I didn't care. I was thirsty, you know. And like I said, everybody was so eager to help. Nobody knew what to do or when to do it until, you know, we could be till we knew that Chad was involved and that he had been killed. Also, we just began the weight to set there and waited. Chad was his wallet and everything was in Chris's truck, and the shooter had taken Chris's truck, so they had no way of identifying Chad. And we knew he was, you know, with Chris, but nobody else knew that. So we sat there and then later on we found out the shooter had been taken into custody. Before we ever found out that Chad was the other end down. Chad had had in my house. You didn't do tattoos. You got kicked out if you know, got a tattoo well, he got a huge one and it was Jesus Christ on this side and a big eagle on this side. But he shortened them, you know, short enough that he could still wear a shirt and you wouldn't see the tattoo. I decided at that point, hey, I got to choose my battles and that's not worth fighting, you know. Of course he was out of the house by then. Anyway. Anyway, that's the way they identified him in death. Anyway, finally the captain and the Middle Othian Police Department came in and the phone had been binging all night and back then, you know, it was a little flip phone thing. You know. My son and my grandson were wanting to know if Chad was okay, and I thought, how do you know about this? What is going on? We were in shock. We still tell you had set an accident. We're thinking that they wrecked the truck because Chad was a football player in high school and we had several dangerous things that happened. I had to go to the hospital, so we're thinking that's the accident. Anyway, we sat there and sat there, and finally he came in and he said, we have identified Chad and he is the other man down with Chris. Anyway, I went to my knees and just scream, not my chatty, not much chatty. It was true. And here we were sitting among strangers, and my little former daughter in law said, I've got to get to my daughter. She was, you know, with a sitter. And by this time it was eleven or twelve o'clock at night. I think we didn't know what to do. We just stood there and we thought, here, we're in a strange house. And my husband he just had to, you know, get us out, and so we decided to go with her over to her parents' house. We had nobody, We didn't have any family there, we had no support or anything. So we just followed her and we went over there. And my former drawing in law was in the education field, so they had counselors there immediately, several of them too for my little granddaughter. You know, they were all in the room with her. And anyway, we got ready to go home, and I went and hugged her and kissed her, and my little granddaughter said, mem is this a nightmare? I said, honey, I'm afraid it is. And we weren't going to wake up from this one. When she's here. We got cemetery and put a Christmas ornament on a reeve for something for her. And I keep flags, American flags and Texas flags out there all the time. And you know, one of the funny things, we were going to pick AD's headstone out and her mother said, oh, no, I'll have to find a sitter. That will traumatize her. I said, she needs to be in on this stuff. So anyway, she went with us, and she gets out of the car and walks in this monument place and the lady said, did you all need some help or do you know what you want? And she said, no, we know what we want. And the lady said, did you want a rough cut or a smooth cut? And she said no, we want a smooth because if a bird poops on it, we want to be able to get it off. I said, so much for that trisation.
Speaker 1: I mean, and how logical. Yeah, that's yeah, you know, from the mouth of babes.
Speaker 3: Well, and she wanted to do something on the headstone, and so I said, we'll go over there and sit down and come up with something. Well, she had a plaque in her room that said I found my prince and his name is Daddy, and they were able to let her and she had beautiful handwriting at that aid do her handwriting, and it's on the grapes.
Speaker 1: Well, I think what a Greek call it had to attribute to the to getting through the greeming process, having involved I think that was so important, you know, and that being able to hel forward and go through the healing journey, which is a lifelong journey.
Speaker 3: And we're able to pass that on to his little girl also. Anyway, they arranged to have Chad's funeral a week after he had been killed. So, and there's an organization called the Patriot Guard Writers and they're usually a bunch of veterans that escort of veterans home to their final resting place. Well, they do military, and Chad was not military, but they got special permission and there were two hundred motorcycle guys that showed up to escort my son to his final resting place and they surrounded the the grave site with those beautiful American flags and just so so overwhelming and heartfelt they would love us enough to do that anyway, but they got that taken care of, and then you know, the silence comes the people are gone, the relatives are gone, the cards and letters have stopped, the phone calls, and Don and I talked and we said, Don, we can't afford to get better over this. We're gonna have to get better because we can't afford to live and revenge and anger. You know, it is what it is. We've lost our son, but we're going to rise above. And the reason I'm called Mama Littlefield is I lost my son, but I have gained so many you know. I had one one that say, my mom passed last year and I really miss her not wishing me a happy birthday, And I said, on behalf of your mom, please let me wish you a happy birthday. So I'm being Mama, Mama Judy, Mama Littleville. So and I just appreciate that so much. I just just love these guys and know that Chad would be so thankful that we're being treated like we are because he was very patriotic kid. You know. He was always saying, Mom, what did you do for a veteran today? And I told him one day, I said, son, you need to be a first responder because if there was an accident on the side of the road, he was the first one out, and he was a germ preak. He didn't like his name brand clothes messed up or his hands dirty, but he would if there was somebody in need. You know, that all went to the ways.
Speaker 1: I can relate it. Mama, it's I don't like germs that aren't mine on me. I don't. It's and it just seems to get worse the older I get.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. Well, you know, like I said, but Chad told me, I said, you need to become a first responder. He said, Mom, you don't need to wear a uniform to help your fellow man. I said, boy, you're right. You know, we need to reach out more often and love one another and uh, you know, with kindness. And then after that we had to wait for two years. It went to trial. The case went to trial two years later. But we were the only ones that didn't know what had happened. I mean, we knew Chad and Chris had been shot, but we didn't have any details. We didn't know why, the motive of nothing. And I don't know why they kept that from it, maybe because they felt we needed to be protected. But then after that we went to trial and that was a whole whole different thing. The trial lasted too and a half weeks, and we stayed down there and every TV or social media they contacted us and they were I think I know they were coming by the house because on the weekend we came home and there were cards and things in my mailbox with no stamp on them, So I know that they were coming by here. But and we couldn't do any interviews because we didn't want to jeopardize trial. And in Texas, because there were two murders at the same time, they went to trial for both, for Chris's murder and Chad's. On all the national TV and everything, it was considered the American sniper trial, and it was. It was the trial of Chad Littlefield and Chris Kyle. They proved in a court of law that he did not suffer from post traumatic stress disorder, that he had chosen to get high and drink, and he told his sister he left the scene and told us, sister said, I just sold my soul for this truck. That's our story. But like I said, we learned a lot. We learned to not be bitter, we learned to love more, We're more compassionate, I had some people tell me one time, said, well, we've lost our jobs, and we don't mean to compare that to your loss. I said, no, you don't understand when you're in pain. I don't care where it's coming from. Everybody is in pain together, and we need to reach out and help them.
Speaker 1: And I'm a firm believer in that. We are firm believers in that there's no there's no levels, right.
Speaker 3: Right, there's no levels. If you're hurting, you're hurting in pain.
Speaker 1: Right, And it is so important for us to really lean in. I just love that because it's I think it's important for people to hear that your pain is relevant, regardless of what it is, because societally, we get so so separated and segregated because of you know, well this my situation is not as bad as that situation, et cetera, et cetera. And it's like if we could just lean in and realize that the one thing that makes us the same is we all understand pain and suffering. And that's regardless of your belief system, you know, regardless of your political ideology, regardless of et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Everyone understands that and it's the one thing that we can just agree on well.
Speaker 3: And what you said was my granddaughters. That's a tribute to how we handled grief. I had not thought about that before. But I can't imagine if she had been around us and we refuse to live, if we refuse to get out of bed or just go on with life. I can't imagine how it would have affected her at her young age. And I'm so glad that we chose to get up and go on through it all.
Speaker 1: You know. We've noticed too that when we are going through hard times, they're always listening, our kids, like they're even when you think they're not. It's always listening. Will be mid sentence and you'll hear the little one, what does that mean? And it's like, oh god, he's been listening time. Yeah. But especially when we're going through challenging times, they are hyper focused what are they going to do? And it's our time to really show what living well looks like in the face of adversity, you know, and it's we're not always good at it, especially me, you know. I think it's so important that that to know we can find therapy and everything we do, it doesn't have to be sitting across from a professional. Licensed professional doesn't have to be. And I think that that's that's really important, the example that you all have shown her, and I guarantee you it's attributed to her being able to hold forward.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of lessons learned. And Chad was very I mean, he was calling every day. He's a mama's boy. He would call every day or come by or you know. And because he did that, my other son let him. You know, it might be four weeks before we would see the other one, you know, because he just you know, they'd get busy. But then after Chad was taken, well, I'm telling you, Jerry's on the phone every day, taking us wherever we need to go and helping us. So we're blessed that we have him to take care. And he's not military either, but he works to raise funds for veterans and try to help. That's what's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Y'all truly raised to patriotic, god loving young men, and we truly appreciate you sharing your story.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful that you're able to.
Speaker 2: Honor and remember him and share his story so we can all remember him, you know.
Speaker 1: You and Don and Jerry and chat or proof positive to me that every human being has an inner warrior. I believe it's ingrained in our DNA, and you're proof positive of that. The way you've you've all been able to embrace grace through it all is inspiring and of itself. And I believe there's a big difference between suffering and suffering well, you know, and I don't believe that we ever get over significant traumatic experiences in life. I just I believe that we learned to deal with them in a healthier manner. You know, you guys have definitely been an inspiration to not only me but us and how to handle what life throws at you.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: And I've been I've been through a lot of life in my short amount of time I've been here. But it's you know, it's it's a it's an honor to be around people like you both, because it's uh, it's inspirational, it's motivational, humbling.
Speaker 3: Chad asked me one one year what I wanted from others day, and I told him I wanted to authentic get bush And so he went and got one for me, and he dug the hole and planted it and everything. He was over here one day and I said, Chad, look at that crazy bush. I said, when your life's going good, that bush just blooms. And he said, but Mom, if you had not watered it and kept the weeds out of it like you did, my life, neither one of us would have ever produced. So Chad and I bonded over that crazy yellow rose bush, you know. And then after he was killed, Mother's Day was coming up and the rose bush just was not doing anything, and I cried, and I cried as a don It's died with him. The rose bushes died with him. And a couple of days before Mother's Day, I walked outside and just happened to look down and there was a little yellow bud on that rose bush. And I thought, thank you, Chad, thank you ched so much for letting me know you're okay. And the yellow rose. When he'd get mad at me or something, he'd show up up on my door with the yellow rose say I'm sorry, mom. So that was our deal. And then when I saw that little rose bush, you know, it's just like he was saying, I'm sorry for the pain, but I'm good. You know that that yellow rose has been a meaning for me ever since. So that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Always give a Texas girl yellow roses.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He clearly made such a huge impact on those that whose lives he touched. Even in his friendship with Chris, Jake said, you know, you can find therapy in anything that you do. And you said earlier when they would go exercise, they would exercise their bodies for their mental health.
Speaker 3: That's huge. Well, and not only that, of course you probably know this, but we were offered so many pills and alcohol. Here, just drink this and you'll feel better. Well, I have a very addictive personality, and.
Speaker 1: You and me both, Mama, I knew.
Speaker 3: If I had a glass of wine today, I'd need a bottle tomorrow. And it would have been accepted, you know what I was going through. It would have been accepted to judge, you know, just stay on the pills and stay out. But we've always felt like you have to walk through the pain. You can't walk around it, you can't dodge it. It's there. Walk through it. So and and that's the thing. I could have drank. I could have taken the pills, but then when I got sober, I would still be in pain.
Speaker 1: You'd be a square one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anything, you know.
Speaker 1: That's one thing that I you know, I try and tell people is that because you know, November it will be five years that I've been cleaning.
Speaker 3: So wow, wow, congratulations.
Speaker 1: Well thank you. I believe that when we feel it, we sit and we feel it, we feel the pain, and we exercise the pain.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I believe that that's doing a lot of shaping of our character and our understanding immortality and our appreciation of the things that we otherwise just don't appreciate because we're just going through life trying to get everything done, to go do this or that for this person or that person. And it's I think that it speaks volumes of you guys as not only human beings, but leaders in community and being rooted in your spirituality, being able to just fill it and not numb because a lot of people do which and just like you said, just like you, like I suck at anything in moderation, it's all the way or no way.
Speaker 3: Oh that's me, that's me.
Speaker 1: And you know with me, it was like, well, if one pill works about you, five is going to be awesome. Yeah, which led you know, so on and so forth. And which was the same thing. It's just because nobody judged. There was no judgment like, well, you know, can you imagine yeah's gone right? And so there was no judgment. There was no questions, No, Jake, maybe you should tone it down some mate, none of that, because how dare they impede on my process? Right? And I remember when I stopped drinking, and it was because I wouldn't say I was sober for about a year because I think there's a big difference between not drinking and living a sober life. And I had so many people walk up to me and go, you know, Jake, I was going to say something to you about it. I said, yeah, but you didn't and that's okay. And I said, and that's on me, not you. That's okay, you know. But it's it's something that, yeah, we all grieve differently, we all go through things differently, and I think it's really important for people to hear what you and coach and your family have gone through to understand it doesn't always have to look like you see on TV it all. It doesn't always have to look like a Hollywood film. It's not always going to.
Speaker 3: Be pretty like I'm okay right.
Speaker 1: It's okay to not be okay, and it's okay to fill it because we were all human.
Speaker 3: And that's not over. You know, a lot of times I think I got this thing lived, you know, and something a smell or you know, a thought or something, and I lose it, you know. And we will never get over Chad's lost, never, but we are learning to live without him, and it's healing, uh to talk about it. And a mother's greatest fear is that her son would be forgotten, you know. Jerry used to tell us and Mom, there's two deaths. The first one is physical. The second one is when people forget you ever existed. And that's what I don't want to happen too much, head I want, I want him remembered for us and his little girl as well.
Speaker 2: He talked about community, and one of the things that christ and Chad really bonded on was was community. But since this whole thing's happened in your life, your community has grown as well. Now, talk to me about that day, the days after the law enforcement, the military veterans that you came in contact with, those connections that you've made.
Speaker 3: Well, and of course that picked up, you know, like a couple of months or so after the death, you know, when people felt safe, you know, approaching us. I remember one day Don and I thank god one of us was usually up and could help the other one, and one day we were both down and I kid you not, I was suicidal. I didn't want to live. I wanted my Chad. I wanted to be with him, and I just cried out and I said, God, what do you want me to do? And there came a knock on the door and it was the chaplain of the Desoda Police Department, and he said, I just thought i'd come by and check on you guys and see if maybe I could pray with you. But do I have a job for you? So anyway, But like I said, God sends people when you really need them, and we need Deemed that day everything kind of developed on a step after step, meeting people and doing fundraisers and things like that. We don't know too many firefighters that I have been presented with their challenge, coins many police officers, and of course are vets. Like you said, that community has just grown and grown.
Speaker 2: So three questions we ask all of our guests. Rapid fire, It's not really rapid fire, but we called it that. So what do you do to relax and recharge?
Speaker 3: Doctor Charles Stanley is a pastor out of Atlanta, Georgia, and he has a podcast thing that comes on the computer every day at two o'clock and that's my time to sit there and you know, listen, do whatever I want to and that's my time. I tell Don, I said, this is free time. If you want to do puzzles or whatever. You know, Don has to have his nap every day because you know, when you're a mother, the only time you get anything done is when your kids are asleep. Well, when Don goes to sleep, and that's why I get myself.
Speaker 1: That's your recharge, relaxed time, you know, and that you know what naps are important. There's studies at show they shouldn't stop in kindergarten that we should continue those throughout life. Just for everyone listening, those are naps are very important for brain health. So another question we'd like to ask, is there a particular person or entity that has had a significant impact on you or your story?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess I would have to say my dad. My dad was a mortician, so I had a really chunky child. We lived at the funeral forever. But he was had a servant's heart. He was always serving people. And back in those days, the funeral homes did all the ambulance service. So he was forever going out. And I'm from Harlingen, Texas and years ago they had an Air Force base down there. Well, there were quite a few crashes, you know that he had to go out and deal with and take care of families and comfort families. He always had a servant's heart. He even in his last days, had gone to school and learned how to take the eyes out and pack them get them on a plane for a transplant. So I would have to say, Dad is the one that gave us the service. He had to be the one that put a servant's heart in me. And I guess that's where Chad got it. You know.
Speaker 1: It's it's awesome because you know, greatness can be generational to not just trauma, and I love hearing that. That's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Last question, and it's broad, but it can be specific to what feeds your soul.
Speaker 3: I think healing when we reach out, especially vets, because that's where we have our most contact. Somebody that's been helped, somebody that that just needs a hug, that needs some love, and we can do it. I mean, I've met people at the cemetery that want to come out and you know, we just sit around Chad's gravesite, and you know, they just wanted to be near Chad, you know. And I think that is the most productive thing. You know, we feel like we've accomplished something. And the other thing is next year, Coach and I'll be married fifty years and want an accomplishment that fifty years. I told him that could be a long year.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, that's amazing. Well, we celebrate Chad's life today and every day, and thank you for having the strength and the courage to come and share your story and his story. We're thrilled to be able to tell it, to be able to share it so that we can continue to speak Chad Littlefield's name.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Mama, little Phil the coach for your strength and your inspiration, your leadership, your grace, your wisdom. So truly grateful, truly humbled by you both, and your vulnerability and your willingness to find victory in that and healing is all inspiring.
Speaker 3: Wow. Thank you, Thank you for those words.
Speaker 2: How could you not be truly inspired after hearing that story. I mean it truly is a mother's journey that she's been on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's something that most people, if not all people who are parents. It's the worst thing you could ever go through, and yet she lives her life with love and grace and alongside coach who does the same thing kind of command you be better.
Speaker 2: Absolutely married fifty years next year and you know, let's be better, not better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there should be in a word for that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a beautiful thing. It's a beautiful love story to include their love of their child, and even through this tragedy, Man, it's just made them stronger.
Speaker 1: Us knowing them personally, they've mentioned how yeah, there's times that got really hard and really tough between the two of us, and it's just like, we know we can't be weak at the same time, right, we have to be able to lean on each other and have the vulnerability and the humility to let the other one be strong when one of us is a weekend, And that's what they did, and they made it through.
Speaker 2: Through one of the most horrific.
Speaker 1: Tragedy, probably the hardest thing any parent could ever deal with.
Speaker 2: It's got to be right right, y'all. Be sure to check out her book, The Other Man Down, a Mother's Journey after the American Sniper Tragedy.
Speaker 1: It's the perspective that you'll need, especially if you're a mom or a dad and you really want your kid to know and to feel how much you love them. Read this book because I promise you when you put it down, I promise you you'll hug them a little tighter that night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your soul will feel full.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: We are so glad that you joined us here today for this episode of The Good Stuff. If you have anyone in your life that you think could use little inspiration, be sure to pass this episode along to them.
Speaker 1: It's important to let them hear it and to understand that they're they're worthy of living well because the whole point of this life is to lean in, love hard, and live well. And you can't fully do the last one without fully doing the first two.
Speaker 2: And be sure to cannnect with Jake and I would love to hear from you. If you have a story that you think we should tell on The Good Stuff, be sure to send that over to us. Connect with us on social media, and we look forward.
Speaker 1: To hearing from you. The Good Stuff is executive produced by Ashley Shick, Jacob Schick, Leah Pictures and q Code Media. Hosted by Ashley Shick and Jacob Shick, Produced by Nick Cassilini and Ryan Countshouse Post production supervisor Will Tindy. Music editing by Will Haywood Smith, Edited by Mike Robinson.