Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and welcome to the latest edition of Dirt from the Dugout. Alongside my pala Justin Mussel, I'm Kyle Ravitch, and we certainly appreciate all the members that are on with us on the Parent Dugout and invite you to continue to tell your buddies about it. The parent Dugout dot Com is where you go to get Dirt from the Dugout and Justin's recruiting confidential. This time of year. It's so critical for these kids in colleges and portals and transfers and all that you can ask. Justin and I are question The Parent Dugout is where we want you to go, and we invite you to ask your questions about the Parent Dugout send them to info at Theparentdugout dot com as you can join our growing community today. Become a member of the Parent Dugout. Hiight, Justin. I want to take us back to two thousand and sixteen November early November twenty sixteen. It's when the Chicago Cubs and the then Cleveland Indians were playing in the World Series. It was a great World Series. The Cubs haven't won a World Series in forever. And they are on the cusp of winning this thing, and upstets Raji Davis and the eighth inning against Eraaldis Chapman. Most of us that were there that night think, okay, advantage Chapman. This game is over. It's eight to six, and this is gonna be it. The Cubs are gonna win the World Series. And lo and behold, rage Davis steps up and hits one of the most memorable home runs in World Series history. And then I remember the rain delay. I'm sitting in the in sort of an auxiliary bullpen because the game was over, and we start to sneak into a position to get on the field for a post game baseball tonight in Sports Center, and I'm sitting, honest to God, in this auxiliary bullpen and the rain starts coming down, and You're like, they're not gonna They're not gonna bang this and move these teams inside. And I'm sitting or standing next to Sarah Langs, who is, of course, are near and dear, an ardent baseball fan, stricken with als and fighting like hell through that thing and working with us on our baseball shows. And that's a memory I will share with Sarah for the rest of my life, and I know she holds that due to her heart. They go in. Apparently in this few minutes, Hayward gives this speech back come the Cubs. Cubs win the dang game and they are the World Series champions. But it didn't spoil the moment, I don't think, and certainly the memory for Rajai Davis. You have memories of the game seven that night?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I think when you talk about iconic home runs, it's you know, you kind of go off the top of your head some of the things that happened and where you were, and you kind of remember where you were that night. And I think it just you have two cities just just craving a championship, right, And I think that's what made that so unique, was just that swing of like back and forth and back and forth of two basically curses, right that you're kind of dealing with that they're trying to get past. So I think it just made it super cool. I'm excited to talk to raj about it.
Speaker 1: Well, let's bring him in. Raji Davis joins us now on dirt from the dugout. We are so delighted to have you. How are you a big fellow. Thanks very much for being with us.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, Thank you, thanks for having me. This is gonna be exciting.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you've never been asked about that home run, and that's I've read all the stories and quotes about it. Do you do you find yourself having to come up with fresh material in order to address that or does the moment speak for itself.
Speaker 3: The moment I'm able to get myself back in that moment, you guys can bring me right back in at any time.
Speaker 2: Roger, I got to share this with you. One time. I was at Aaron Boone's house and we were talking to him and his wife came over and we were talking about the you know, his iconic home run, right, and we were kind of laughing, and his wife was saying, are you guys talking about the home run again? And Boone says something like, Hey, I should have just an on video here on a TV, just replaying that thing over and over and I can talk about it all day long. Is that how you feel?
Speaker 3: Man? Oh? Absolutely? I mean how many guys, first off, have gotten an opportunity to be in that moment, to share that with all the fans, with all the people who are baseball fans, you know, people who are not even fans of our teams that were in the World Series remember the moment. They remember where they were just like you said, that is something that I get the cherishs and share with my family and friends and former baseball players, you know, even the Hall of famers that I come across, you know, they remember that moment.
Speaker 1: Many of who never had that opportunity. Making it so great were the factors of the Cubs who've not won a World Series in one hundred years, the Indians at that point, who hadn't won one in a long time. A game seven rarely does a game seven live up to what you hope it would live up to yours did. But for the for the people at home that are checking this out and our members here, I want you to kind of explain your mindset going up to the plate against the most dominant reliever in baseball, a guy the Cubs went out to get how you prepared for the at bad against the role as Chapman, and take take us kind of through the way you thought through that at that.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, he had been dominant all year. You know, I didn't realize how dominant he was. Until that game was over and I looked at the stacks and I realized that he had not given up a home run since June that year, and I had not hit a home run since August of that year. So, you know, going into this moment, you know, we all knew what we were up against. We know that we're going to at some point. Chapman was coming out. He was throwing every single game. So every day we were preparing for, especially us as platoon players, guys who are going in late, guys are going in to get an opportunity to hit against the left handed hurler. Right. So for me, it did not start that night. It did not start the first night of the World Series. It started well before that with a text message. It started with a former teammate of mine actually in a ball Bobby Kingsbury. He he gave me a text, He sent me a text. It was kind of long. You know, he was actually from the Cleveland area, lived in the Cleveland area, and you know, he was telling me that, you know, he kind of felt like I was gonna do something big, you know, and I, just being who I am, I said, oh, I'm gonna agree with that I'm gonna agree with that, but yes, yes, absolutely, I'm gonna go with that. But but for me, it was it was it was more of a spiritual move than anything else. It was it was more of a seed that was being planted within me. And I knew all about seeds because I've been playing seas my whole life, whether it's my preparation, whether it's my working outside when nobody else was looking, swinging the bat, throwing the ball against the wall, the tennis balls, whatever ball I could find, I'm throwing against the house, thrown against breaking things, breaking when those breaking houses, it was, it was my thing. I was preparing the entire way. But you know, this was when he sent this text, it just made me think about a moment that I could possibly be a part of in the World Series. And I'm thinking, I'm going through all these scenarios that would that would make sense to me, and I could only think of you know, really, it was the Joe Carter, you know, when I was in literally when he hit the walk off, I was that was one of my favorite teams in Toronto, watching the per.
Speaker 1: You went all the way back to nineteen ninety three years, so you were thinking home run. I mean you actually went up there and said I could have my moment. I could tie this game up here with one swing. That was that was a conscious thought.
Speaker 3: So my thought when he sent that text was literally, what can it be that's going to give the largest impact? And I kept rehearsing it over and over and over in my mind every single day, every single moment. And during that time, I would, you know, get facials done because I like to take care of my body, especially my feet, but my face too. Right. So, and there was a spiritual lady that that I would go to consistently. We were, but she said something to me that really strung, really hit home for me. And she was a spiritual lady, so she believed God. I believe God. And she said, Raja, you never asked God for help. I said, hmm, you're right. I was thinking about that.
Speaker 1: I hadn't.
Speaker 3: I hadn't done that too often. I was like, because when I started my career, when I when I was in rookie ball, you know that's one thing I did every single bat Before the bat, you know, I would I would have a prayer. I would say, you know, ask God to help me out use my hands, use my mind, use my body, and I hit three eighty four in rookie ball and doing that, and then I kind of just kind of got away with it, just doing it. And then she just reminded me of the very beginning, my very first love, right, And so for me, it was just waiting for the opportunity. And I think it was Game five, I had stole three bases in the game, and I believe that was a world series record at the time. And I was thinking, is that it is? That? Is that the moment? No, No, they can't be the moment. That's not big enough, that's not loud enough.
Speaker 1: That's a small box I want to go after.
Speaker 3: Exactly because in my because in my my quiet time, I could hear it. It was really loud. I could feel it, I could see it. I was I was so engrossed in what I did pre game, before the game even started, before I even got to the field. This was part of my daily routine, my daily ritual. I would not uh forget to do this because especially if I was off, I knew how to get myself back in you know, two weeks. I could get myself back to you know, my my regular you know mental state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Aji, I want to ask you about this because I think this is such a key part of success when you talk about baseball and it's this, it's this ability to really focus in in the moment, right. And you know, we all have different pressures. I think youth and high school players are dealing with even college more pressure now than ever before. Everything's on video, right, everything's on social media all the time. So I want to I want to go back to that moment because I think there's so much to learn in that. Can you take us through from a from a pressure standpoint, in a moment standpoint, how you stayed so calm and within yourself and relax to go do the task at hand without letting that moment get a hold of you and trying to do too much or trying to press in that at bat. I mean, what was that like? And what is your advice to youngsters out there that are watching that remember this home run and think about that moment. What can you tell them about handling pressure?
Speaker 3: Well, pressure is it is actually a sign. It reveals what you have prepared for. It reveals who you really are. That's what pressure does. If you put the work in pressure reveals that you with the work in see. The moment did not surprise me. I was ready for the moment. So when the moment came, I recognized, this is it. This is what I've been prepared for. So I went through the pressure beforehand. I saw the guys on base, I saw that ahead of time. So when I got there, I said, oh, this is it. And so when I look back in order for me to get into the present, right, that's where the breath comes in. Right. That's one thing that sometimes you don't see the kids do. Right. Some kids do it. They'll take a deep breath right now. That just brings them back into reality. That brings them back to here and now. And for me, that was calming myself down. You want to be a calm, dangerous hitter, right, And I think when I have noticed just just paying attention to myself is what makes me most dangerous. It's when I'm calm. If my mind is racing, if I'm thinking too many thoughts, if I have two three things I want to do at the play, that is not a win win for me. But here's another thing. Here's part of the preparation. Knowing what the picture is going to do. I knew exactly what he wanted to do. This is my third to bat against him. He had thrown fastball, at the fastball, at the fastball my first at bat in that World Series, three pitches, three fastballs, strikeout. My second at bat, six fastballs. One hit down the first base line that rizzodove he caught but he didn't cover. That was a base hit. Now I'm going in with the confidence that I can get a hit at least because I know I've already done. And I hit that ball hard. I thought it was a double off my bat leg because I was down in away. I was like, that's it. And for me, that's all I needed. I needed that confidence that the fact that I hit that ball hard, it helped to build more confidence in me. So building confidence is part of the process when you stick with the problem. I know that what he's throwing, Okay, I'm going to battle. Now when I go up to the plate, it's me versus you. It's not one verse nine, it's one verse one. It's like basketball. For me, I'm not playing against nine players. I'm playing against one. Picture Now, if he got e O. The goons out there, they're trying to steal my ball. It's fine, it's okay. I'm okay with that. But as long as I get you, I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to get you. That's great, Roger, that's great. So be prepared, be in the moment, have great confidence, and make sure Anthony Rizzo is not playing first pace. I guess we have good questions. He want to remind everybody that they could ask questions in the YouTube chat and please we're looking for more and more members here at the parent dugout dot com. All right here, it is Raj. This is wild. It says if every baseball parent watching tonight could hear one piece of advice from you, and you've already shared a bunch of them, but think about it, if you could share one piece of advice from you to the parents, what would it be.
Speaker 3: Well to the parents. It is huge for parents because a lot of parents think results, results, results, results, and it's never really about the results because results fluctuate. Sometimes you get a hit and sometimes you don't. Sometimes you make the play and sometimes you won't. So you cannot rely on setting your kid's identity, and the parent sets the identity. The parent says, hey, you are this player, or you're you're the guy who gets hit or you're the guy who doesn't make errors, but you're going to make mistakes going to to get out. But one thing for the parents is, you know, try to focus on what process will lead to the result that you're looking for. And if we focus on the process, the process always leads to the results, and the result never leads to the process.
Speaker 2: I love that, man, that's so good. Yeah, I want to I want to touch on that, Raj, because I think this is another lesson just from a scouting background that I have and doing some things with players. It really starts pregame. So when you talk about evaluating anyone that is within baseball, that's truly evaluating A player watches the routine, right, they're watching what they're doing. They're watching the pregame stuff with the breath work or just getting loose the flexibility, and then how they play catch. There's those little things, Raja. Can you just talk a little bit about that, Raj with I mean, you played for teen years in the big leagues and you know sometimes that can be a little boring if you will of like the same things every day. Can you talk about the importance of of pregame routine and how that impacted you for the moment. Eventually down the road.
Speaker 3: Well, the pregame routine just let your body know now it's time to compete. Yeah, and let your body know it's time to play a game. Right, that's the purpose. I believe that you do these things because all of this is prepper preparing you to play a game. That guess what you're trying to win, right? And I think the more consistent that you can be on your routine, on being consistent on what you do on a daily basis, the more consistent you can be in your performance and getting the results that you really want. Because what those preparation, those things, those routines do is they remind you of what you're supposed to do even when the pressure is on. And if you can do it when the pressure is off, you can do it when the pressure is on. But I think when what guys mess up is they changing all the time. If something's not working, they change. If this is not clicking, they change. And now they're instable. They're not even stable in what they're doing. And so something that might have worked now they don't know what's working. Right, So it's important especially if you have a routine that's working, because for me, that is a formula for success. If it's working, if one plus one equals to every time, why would I change it?
Speaker 1: I think I think that you know, if you tie it all together, the foundation is ultimately what leads to it. You're just in a sport where you know, success, as you say, is fleeting, and it's a game of failure. So sometimes I would imagine you look in the rearview mirror and wonder, well, is the process or the foundation working when I'm in a three for thirty slump? Do I stick with that? And I think it leads into the next question that we have from one of our members here, Ryan, Because you were not necessarily an everyday player through a very long career. So when you weren't playing every day, Ryan asked, how did you stay mentally ready for the moment when your number was called? And then part two of that question is did your routine change on the days that you knew you were starting versus the days you knew you were coming off the bench?
Speaker 3: You know, here's a famous quote, right, if you stay ready, you never have to get ready. Right, So Ji, by.
Speaker 1: The way, you should have a T shirt with all your sayings on it.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm actually I'm actually finishing up a book that I'm writing about mental coaching and coaching for parents, you know, because I see the importance in coaching my son's team. And you know, last night we had a just crazy not to get off the subject, but it was crazy. Our starting pitcher gives up six, six runs, right and you know, I go out there and I talked to him. I said, have you been doing the routine that we talked about, the the the entire routine. He says to me, Now, well, well, guess what we're gonna do. We're gonna go back to zero zero. We're gonna pretend it's a zero zero game. We're gonna give back to your routine. Your routine is what take a deep breath right then you're gonna tell yourself exactly what you're gonna throw. You're gonna throw a low fastball right here, okay, and then you're gonna do it. That is, he goes one, two, three, strikeout. Then he gets he proceeds to get give up no more runs and strikes out five other guys. You know, so it's like, you know, just sticking over Auteae. So for me, especially when I was not starting, I would act like a starter because in my mind my identity was I'm a starter, So I'm gonna act like who I believe I am. So I'm doing things that guess what the guys on the bench are not doing. But guess what when I get in the game, I'm ready because I've been working on stealing my basis because whatever you stop doing, you lose. You'll lose it if you stop using it.
Speaker 2: Love that man and Roger. I think when you're hitting on all this stuff, as we think about the people listening, the members and anyone listening and watching tonight, we always want to think about the You know, when we talk about baseball, we talk about the greater good of baseball, right, and what we're kind of trying to accomplish on the field, and you're hitting on a little bit. There's so much to learn in the sport with overcoming adversity, right, and being able to control your emotions and control your mind and being able to work through really difficult things. Baseball is really challenging. You can have one grade inning, you can have one grade at bat. The next at bat is terrible, and this is the roller coaster of baseball. But I want to get to the next question because I think it's really kind of pertains to what I'm getting at here. So we go to the next question here, So it's kind of talking about the performance in game, and here we go. So, Rajah, you were fast. People think stealing base is all about speed, but how much of it is actually preparation and studying pitchers And this is the in game feel that I'm kind of going at with youth and high school players now in understanding how the game works, can you just share a little bit more about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stealing bases is more of an art because you get into pro ball. There's a lot of guys who are fast. But not everybody can steal bases right. Not everybody has put the work in. Not everybody knows their strength. I knew exactly how much time it took me to get from where I was starting to the next base. I knew exactly what the picture's times was. I knew what the catcher's times was, so I was prepared, and then I studied the picture while I was out there. Every time I got out there, the picture seemed to change they don't change. Then I could. I couldn't watch video on the same picture because every time I got out there, they're quicker, they're faster, they were slidestepping. But guess what, there was one time where they're going to pick up their leg because they just went two oh, they went three to oh. Now I was able to recognize opportunities. They knew I was stealing, but they didn't know what pitch I was stealing on. So I started reading body language. Body language was huge. And here's the thing. No one can hide their body language. It is almost impossible to hide the body if you know what you're looking for. I remember talking with Vince Coleman, and he knew exactly when guys were going to the plate and when they were coming over. If you know that and you're a fast guy, that no one can stop you. That's how you get one hundred stolen bases in a season.
Speaker 1: And can can anybody learn that? You talk about? You know, reading body language? Is that something anybody can learn?
Speaker 3: I believe it is. I mean, Vince Coman learned it in the minor league because they were teaching him. This is when he learned it, right, that's and that's the problem. They're not teaching this anymore. Those guys, those kind of guys are not around right and and and and trying to get those guys back. It's a challenge because of analytics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a I mean I sit next to a guy who was great at it, EDWARDO. Perez learned at the heels of Pete Rose and obviously his dad. But those guys knew how to read body language as well as anybody. And uh, yeah, it's something that everybody can here's one for you because this is about your baseball journey. It comes from work matic. Any favorite Southeast Connecticut baseball memories? Go Huskies, of course.
Speaker 3: I mean, I have a bunch. Where do you want to start? I mean, I'd like to always go back to Little League.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love that Little League.
Speaker 3: Championship Will of Manny, Connecticut. Okay, we're We're in the championship game. Okay, it's it's tie ball game. It's the sixth inning, the last inning. I come up to bat as a twelve year old, Okay, I go on to hit a triple, a leadoff triple, right, no outs, I'm on third. Now I can steal bases at will Okay. Now I'm gonna give my team. Okay, I'm gonna give them a shot to win the game. If you hit the if you hit the ball on the outfield, we win. If you hit the ball on the ground, we win. They will one guy to hit another guy. So then the next guy comes up, he strikes out. Now we got one out, and I'm like, okay, we're not gonna lose this game. Boys, Okay, I'm gonna take this into my own hands. Okay. So when the catcher throws it back and it happens a couple of times, the catcher throws it back to the I go, I go, I go to stay home, and you know, nothing happens. Okay, okay, so I go back to third base again. The hetcher loves it back to the picture and I dit for home. Boom boom, I steal home. We win the championship, and not just running the dugout like nothing ever happened, but we just won the championship walk off style on a stolen base.
Speaker 1: In little right, I love that Little Little league stories are great and it's good to hear. You know that you started in little league and you went through the process, but you didn't go to a Power four or Power five school, right, You were at every point in Connecticut, which is a unique part of your journey.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the most important part was I was still developing, and I was going to a coach who was going to develop me as a player to get to the next level. He had several guys that were getting drafted out of that level. There was every year there was a guy being drafted out of every point leading up to the year I got there, and then after the years after I left, and so every year the scouts were around. And so if you just show up, you never know what can happen when the scout sees you, because if you have the skills and the talent and the gifts or the tools that they're looking for and you perform, man, anything can happen. And I always kept that in the back of my mind. They were coming for one guy, but they saw me.
Speaker 2: I love it, Rajah, I want to I want to actually bring the next questionnaire from dom actually in regards to two coaches. So you were bringing up the development and the coaches there. What made certain coaches earn your trust in immediately? What what were some of the things that you did to to earn that trust as a coach, or.
Speaker 1: Or how did you sort of instill you know, the trust in you, like, what do you do as a player. What are these kids bringing to the team where the coach can say, I trust that guy, He's not going to hurt me big situation, any situation.
Speaker 3: I think I think, you know, just the consistency. You know, if if, if, if a player is consistent at what he is doing right, you know, you know who's showing up right one day there you know they're up here, the next day they're down here and next day there you know, Hey, can we just have the same guy that that hit went went four for four the other day? Can we bring him back? I just want him just come back and be the same guy every day.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, and I think to the other part of that, having just come from the College World Series, and I'm sure I know Justin speaks to every major college coach in the country, what they also want are consistent people, meaning you know, don't show up to the ballpark way up here one day and then way down here the next. And look, we are people. We have good days and bad days. But I do think that one of the common threads that we heard in Omaha, where this dude is he is the same every day no matter if the result. You know, he's processed, driven, but he doesn't get too high or too low.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I think that is huge. That is huge just knowing because I was a high energy guy. So but you got you got that every day though you know you I was. I was that guy. You know you gonna get him every day, right, And and it's it's the guys where you're like, okay, do I have to do have to be careful because you know, it's like walking on eggshells around this guy, like like I don't know what's gonna happen, what who's gonna show up, or what's gonna happen with this guy. That's that's the time where you know, if if guy's got to be careful, you know, around you because what you're saying or what you might say or you know, what you might do is is that's a sign you know maybe maybe maybe maybe you might not be able to see it because usually the one who has the issue is usually the last one that that that knows about it.
Speaker 1: Here's one for you because obviously with these Uh, you know, parents, they have kids that play on a variety of teams, et cetera. You've got to learn to be part of the fabric as opposed to one you know that stands out. So Ryan says, in your case, RaSE at any level, most underrated teammate you ever played with, and the name isn't necessarily important, but what made that teammate so valuable?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with Tory Hunter for two thousand.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Tory Hunter. I remember watching him really school Robbie Ray. Right, So Robbie Ray. Uh, he was a rookie. He was coming up with us, and he had given it. He was giving up home runs and they were going in this upper deck in at at target Field, and and and it seemed like many they knew what he was doing before he was throwing it. And so Tory Tory system down. And I'm watching, just watching. I did a lot of watching those days.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And Toy says, hey, man, I know what you're throwing before you throw it. I said, if Toy was doing they probably know too. So he so he was schooling him on on the fact that guess what, at this level, they watching you, and they watching you very closely. So if you if you start doing something that's consistent with that fastball every time and they know it, they don't, they don't, they gonna keep their eyes on them, they go. They gonna know what's coming and they're gonna hit it. When big leaguers know what's coming, boy, you better watch out.
Speaker 1: That's a great Justin. Justin's a huge Tory Hunter fan anyway, being from that area. So you nail that one. You nail that one. Hey, listen, just a quick sponsor here. I want to know everybody is summertime. Time to get out, Get out of the house, do something, Get some tickets, go to a game, go to a concert. Today's shoutout goes to seat geek, which of course is our big sponsor thirty five million downloads, justin you know that the number one rated ticketing app. Seventy thousand events are currently listed on seat geek, including concerts and sports and festivals and more. Baseball's in full swing and that is really where we're focused on now. Seat Geek is MLB's official ticket marketplace. Your tickets are fully guaranteed. I use seat Geek. Justin uses seat geek as well, and of course I do have a code for you folks at You can use code Territory ten get ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at seat Geeks. So check that out. Ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at seat Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description, download the app, and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later. Thank you, Seat Geek.
Speaker 2: Hey, I mean when you talk about all the stuff going on right now, revi a lot of I mean, we're hitting the All Star break in baseball and then it's you know how it is, man, it's the chase down in the end. So a great time to hit some games here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Raji Davis is he is a book and his advice has been phenomenal. The questions in the YouTube chat have been phenomenal. We greatly appreciate that and early that's what separates this part is the ability to get access to guys like Raji Davis and down the road Adam Wainwrighter next week, David Ross and again become a member at theparentdugout dot com. All right, let's roll on with a questions here raj. We we've talked about being teammates, We've talked about stealing bases. Next question here comes from Royce. When the game was on the line, what did you tell yourself before stepping into the box. It feels like you had a mantra. I mean, you had a message that you would repeat because you're kind of the guy that has shown us I have these triggers, I have these words, these sayings. What did you tell yourself?
Speaker 3: I think, for the for the most part, when I was at my best, you know, I would remind myself of who I was and who I was. I'm the best, I'm the best thing out here, right, And I think you got to constantly remind yourself because the game is a game of failure. It's a game of you know, you you get out seven out of ten times in the Major League at the highest level, and they considered you a Hall of Famer, right, And so it's there's constant negativity. There's constant things, external things that are coming at you, and you know that would change from time to time. But just reminded myself, I am dominant. I am the dominator. I called myself the dominator. I would go out there and ay, I'm expecting to dominate because I am the dominator.
Speaker 2: Hey, Roger, you're kind of hitting on something from a few years ago. I don't know if you remember this, but you know, you talk about your mental performance stuff. But McCutchen was on the bases after home runs and he was miked up and Rabi you might remember this, but he was talking to himself the whole time and he would say, Hey, I'm the best. That's what I do this, I'm the best. And there he had to actually respond later because he wasn't actually talking at the other players. He was talking to himself. He was telling himself what he was right. And that's kind of going to what you're saying is like, you have to believe in yourself. Man, Can you just touch on that a little bit more, because obviously there's a lot of great players in Major League Baseball. Youth players can step on a field and there might be some great players. High school players can do the same playing at club tournaments or whatever. How do you stay in that zone to where you really believe you're the best.
Speaker 3: Well, it's honestly, because I was always a guy who would ask a lot of questions. I was like, if a guy has a really good year, I'd ask him, Man, hey, man, what are you saying up there?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What is it? I remember playing with a shortstop mister Jose. I'm not gonna batch up his name, but he wrote a song. But anyways, I remember I remember him saying, man, because he made the All Star team. I said, Man, when you get out there, man and you're up in that possible, what do you say? He said? Man, I say, I'm the best you know. And and and after studying it and getting into space and really working, and I learned that you know, the reason why you do this is because we actually performed from like the results. We pro perform from an identity, right, And you get the best results when you when you have a stable identity. If I'm the guy who gets hits and I don't get hits, then I'm gonna be down. If I'm the guy who hits home runs and I don't hit hard, I'm going to be down. If I'm the guy who hits home runs and I start hitting home runs and all of a sudden they stop, I'm gonna be down. Right. So those are unstable. But something I can say is I am the dominant, I am the best. That's something that I want to perform from because that's something I'm becoming, right, It's what I'm becoming. And so I've learned that guess what if I perform from an identity, I can have more consistency and more consistent results that I'm looking to have. Right, And I'm telling myself, oh, this is this is the end product to be the best, right, and so what does that look like? Okay for me? And and you know, the more I say it, the more I would start to believe it. I learned that, like just by doing it right, the more I said it the more. And I realized that my belief was very, very powerful. My words were powerful, but my belief in the words that I was saying was even more powerful.
Speaker 1: And we watching Stuart Smally on Shaturday Night Live looking into the mirror wasn't Jose. It wasn't Jose because he and I did as sports.
Speaker 2: There you go, yeah, yeah, there you go. We helped you out. We had a member to help you out here, buddy uh Man. I was going way back on that one. No, this is this is so good. I feel like there's some really important questions here.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we got to get to this.
Speaker 2: One man go to order at Crown Pizza and Waterford, Connecticut.
Speaker 3: You know what, I'd have to go with the taco pizza. We used to used to always get that taco pizza.
Speaker 1: What is what is on a taco pizza?
Speaker 3: So they would they would it's been a what since I've had but they would get the meat right, they melt the cheese on there, and then on top of that they would put lettuce, tomatoes and crunchy chips. Yeah okay, yeah, so it would come out awesome, It really would.
Speaker 2: You never had a taco pizza.
Speaker 1: No, see again, I just goes back to, uh, the concept that was brought up by one of the North Carolina players, Owen Hull, who is sort of a renaissance man. When we're in Omaha. You know what, Owen Hull really likes vanilla ice cream. You know what I agree with? Like vanilla ice cream still works. We ruined so many things like what's wrong with plane waffles? We're playing pancakes. We throw all this noise on there. Kurt Schilling sat with us in a green room one night and he railed against pineapple on top of pizza. So the idea that we're throwing taco pizza out tonight. I'm not necessarily sure I'm one hundred percent on board with it, but if it works for Raj, more taco, I'm with you, Raj.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, man. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Man, All right, Raj, let's continue here. The questions are great tonight, and you've you've given so many good answers. I think it leads to more and more questions. Here's one. You go back and give your fifteen year old self one piece of baseball advice. So you don't know it yet, but if you could go back and talk to your sixteen year old self, what would the advice be.
Speaker 3: If I'm sixteen, I'm in high school, right, I am a I want to say, I'm a sophomore going into sophomore junior year. Right, I'm not that big. In fact, I'm one of the smallest ones on my team. Right. But the one thing is I have a belief, right, and so I don't know if I would change anything, because when I was fourteen, I wrote I wrote a note of where I would be in ten years, and so now I'm in the process of that ten year product. Right when I was fourteen, fourteen or fifteen, I had wrote that in ten years I will be in the major leagues, right, and so now I'm walking through that process. Okay, at sixteen years old and when I turned twenty five, I made it to the major leagues.
Speaker 2: Oh crazy, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make sense like that, that's illogical, right, doesn't make sense. It's just great advice for parents and kids at home, and you know, junior college, whatever the route may be, it is amazing justin you know this better than that anybody, especially seeing these teams in Omaha and the way that Oklahoma was built. I mean I think they thirteen junior college players on there. You know, that's where they started and that's how they ended up winning a College World Series national championship. All right, Rose, I get about fifteen ten to fifteen minutes left here. One of the things we do on this program each week is we kind of throw the kitchen sink at you. So these questions are not necessarily baseball related, but it allows the people at home to be able to get to know RAJ Davis a little bit better. So let's bring up the kitchen sink questions. Favorite coach that you ever had any sport of all time.
Speaker 3: Roger Midwell, why well, yeah, well, other than the fact he won a thousand games, he was he was really a stepping stone to professional baseball for me. He was. He was. I mean, I had a lot of good coaches, right, mind you, but I believe with with without him, and we're friends to this day. Without him. It was it was a huge bridge because there's a conversation that we had in the very middle of the year. I was hitting like two twenty maybe less, and I wasn't playing up to my potential. But he could see the potential in me, and he set me down in his office. He said, Raj, there's some things we gotta change. We gotta change this frigh. Okay, this is not gonna work. Okay, you can't keep doing his rash Okay. I need him more responsible, okay, And so he goes into this hole spiel. I go on to hit three fifty seven that year as a freshman at three year college. After that conversation. That's where I finished, and he ended up getting me into because of that, finished into playing Wooden Bet League, where I hit three hundred coming off the bench, and you know, the rest is kind of history. The next year, you know, hit four hundred and that drafted.
Speaker 2: So good man, so good. Let's go to the second one least favorite class in high school.
Speaker 3: Oh geez, probably music.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: Hey, we got a lot of common raj.
Speaker 1: I once got a D and guitar class. Yeah. I never understood it. I couldn't get the strings. I didn't understand any of it, all right, So I was terrible, mister Nardi. Sorry, what was your what was your walk up song or what would it be today?
Speaker 3: My walk up song was Jesus by Kurt Franklin. It was it was it was talking about a superstar, because that's what really hit me. It was because I felt like every time I heard superstar, that's me, that's me.
Speaker 2: Awesome, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I like that a lot.
Speaker 2: Let's let's finish it out here with this one. So what are you afraid of? What are something? Let's give us something that you you don't like or you're scared of.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm afraid of, like close quarters Like okay, yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't. I don't like close quarters. Man.
Speaker 2: You can handle flying, all right, you know.
Speaker 3: I I over I overcome my fears right, So I do. I do my breathing like, I will breathe through it, right if it comes, Yeah, you know, I will breathe through it and then think about a better place.
Speaker 1: I love it, man, Raj So elevators, like even at the spring training facility, if there's two floors and you get I think we're all dead. We're never getting off this. I can't stand being an elevator. I'm walking. I'm walking seven floors off. No elevators.
Speaker 3: I saw.
Speaker 1: If I go with you and you're doing this, I'm getting off something bad.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to close my eyes and I'll do it a little slower.
Speaker 1: Just open the door, just pray, doors open up, all right, justin good MVP with Roger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, Raji, we asked everybody on the show man, what's you know if you look back and you look at your baseball career, who is your most valuable person? Who is the MVP in your life on your journey?
Speaker 3: My dad, my dad, He's not my biological dad, but he was my He was my dad that really gave me the blueprint, the blueprint of how to make it. And of course you know he went ninety six and oh as a boxer in the Navy, boxing three times a week. I mean he would knock at everything living on that gym. He was knocking it out. If he hits you all, he's looking around seeing what happened, I'll just say, how'd you keep standing? But he was. He was doing ten miles a day before breakfast, ten miles after breakfast. Then he's going eight hours in the gym. So I got to see, like what that sounds like, what that looks like? The discipline. You know, I wasn't willing to do all that, but you know I got to see it at least be exposed to it.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. That's really cool. Hey, one last one kind of another one off the beaten path, because I in listening to you, I hear a lot of different people in you, and I'm curious, as somebody that has been on ESPN RAJ for a long time, oftentimes you're walking down the street or through an airport and somebody would say, Hey Rhys Davis or Hey Steve Levy, who do you get mistaken for? Most?
Speaker 3: You know what, it was crazy? You just said that the last few times has been King Griffrey tuning, Hey King Griffy, what.
Speaker 2: That's a good one though, man get that twenty four Jersey, Raj.
Speaker 1: Raji man, I can't thank you enough for stepping up here and doing this. You were exactly what the Parent Dugout is all about, and certainly a dirt from the Dugout. The comments from the people at home our members have been outstanding. In fact, the last one said, you know, the content is filling a void. Keep at it. So thank you so much for being such a superstar guest tonight.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah, thanks for rajer I take care buddy.
Speaker 1: Next week we'll have David Ross of course, one of the great people of all time played with the Cubs, and Raj knows all about ROSSI he'll join us next week. Don't forget join our growing community today. You can be a part of the Parent Dugout. Become a member, get you dirt from the Dugout, the live access, the questions you just all had a chance to ask and tell your friends. This is where you get direct access to the most important people that either played the game, coach the game, manage the game, recruited in the game, all of it. Join our growing community today, the Parents Dugout. If you have questions, info atthparent, dugout dot com. Justin looking forward to talking with you next week with David Ross.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having
Speaker 3: M