Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Mallard starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air Everywhere, The Extra Crunchy, extra Spicy Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Mahler and Danny g Radio. As we are in the air everywhere. The power of the pod, the power of the pod, the global reach of podcasting. Eight days a week, eight days a week, fresh original audio content which might even be mildly entertaining, every single day of the week. We thank you for being a supporter of the podcast. And if you missed the Friday podcast, the big announcement, the Malor Meet and Greet, first Malord Meet and Greet of twenty twenty four and the first one ever in the South below the Mason Dixon Line. We'll be in South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina. So if you're in Myrtle Beach or Wilmington, South Carolina. It's not that far away from those places, and if you want to drive a little further, I'm not sure what's south of Charleston, but check it out. So we'll be there. Details on yesterday's pod, but Danny g is hanging out with me as we get the Partey started. There was a pretty big story in our business that didn't get too much attention. I don't We didn't talk about it on the Overnight show because it's more of an industry story. But I thought this was a massive deal because it's something that I've had to deal with my entire time in radio, and it appears I will not have to deal with it anymore. Did you see, Danny, that the Federal Trade Commission voted to approve a new rule that will ban non compete clauses in contracts.
Speaker 3: This is something that radio dudes and TV guys have had to deal with for years.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is a nightmare. Every contract I've ever had, everywhere I've ever worked, they say, if we ever get rid of you, you are not allowed to work at another radio station in competing station for a year or you know, sometimes it's six months, but usually the ones I've had is a year. And if you're off the air for a year, out of sight, out of mind, good luck finding a job after that. It's very difficult, and it's really stupid because if a station, a radio station gets rid of you, they don't think you're a good enough talent. They don't think you're making them money. So why would you care if that person went to another a station down the hall from you, down the street from you, Like, who cares?
Speaker 3: This would be like if an NFL team cuts you and then you couldn't play in the league for a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had to sit out of here. Yeah, he's like Patrick Mahomes got released by the Chiefs and he couldn't go sign with the Raiders. He had to sit out a year and then then he could come back. They estimate it's not official yet. By the way, it's going to take one hundred and twenty days or so for the reversal to take effect. But when it does, they claim that this will increase workers' salaries by three hundred billion dollars annually. That sounds like bullshit to me, but that's what they're saying. I read about this this week, and it really is more important for what we do for a living. But that's a big deal, is a massive deal. It's one of it's one of those things.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like the blackout rules on television for baseball and basketball and whatnot, where I'm sorry, you're not allowed to watch that broadcast. You're restricted. It's just stupid.
Speaker 3: It blocked me from a good program director job years back.
Speaker 1: Well, Honey, I've extended our line of credit.
Speaker 3: There was nothing we could do about it back in the day. So it's good that it's hopefully going to be changing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, it's it's wonderful and it'll be grave and I'm not looking to go anywhere. I don't think you are either. But if something were to happen, we wouldn't have to sit out for a year, and we'd be able to be right back, right back in the game.
Speaker 4: At the top. Man, there is no competition for Fox Sports Radio. Really. I'm bringing that off a que card.
Speaker 1: By the way, did Don Did Don give you that? Or Scott? Which one gave you that?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure any he gave me the card.
Speaker 1: Oh, Danny, you got to read this on Ben's podcast verbatim. Read it verbatim don't mess a word. Well, Marconi would be pressed. And today being the twenty seventh of April, the Saturday, it is International Marconi Day. How are you celebrating International Marconi Day to day? Danny, do you have any.
Speaker 4: I'm doing a Marconi Worthy podcast.
Speaker 1: Well, this is kind of funny because Marconi's birthday is actually on April twenty fifth, So why are we having Marconi Day today? It's International Marconi Day. It's the way it works. Is observed annually on the Saturday closest to April twenty fifth, which is his birthdate. So here we go. He he is credited with the invention of the radio telegraph system, Marconi's Law, and sending the first wireless transmission over the open sea back in the back in the day, so you can think, I think Marconian. He had no idea about what any of the Internet or it exists. But he was born in eighteen seventy four. He got the radio wave patent in eighteen ninety six, so he's twenty two years old, and then in nineteen oh one he's twenty seven. Cross the ace. He created the mechanism that transmitted radio waves over the Atlantic Ocean first time, ever between England and Newfoundland which is now part of Canada. And yeah, so I mean there's some random, random pun facts on today's pod. We've got the Magic Man, Old Hollywood, some other things as well. I want to start with this. I posted some photos on the Graham and on Facebook. I don't know if you saw them this past week. I think on Monday. I forget what day. Monday was, the day I went to the DMV, So I think while I was online at the DMV, I was playing around with my phone and I think I sent a bunch of photos and that is I'll give you the inside skinny on that. So I was upside down in these photos. Some people thought I was photoshopped into these. I was not photoshopped into those photos. That comes Danny from one of the coolest places I have been to in a while. It's a lot of fun and I recommend it. It's kind of pricey, but it's fun. It's good time, good date place. I think there's a few of these around the country. Have you ever been to the Museum of Illusions. No, Yeah, it's in Hollywood, in the hood in Hollywood. I stepped over human shit, human piss, and then we're around some homeless people and there is the World of Illusions. It's a new improved World Illusions. It's a fully immersive experience Dady like no other you'll go to. And it's got four different parts of the museum. Of course, they charge for all four, and it's pretty cool. You can put yourself in the Giant House where they have these massive oversized coffee cups and shoes. And I think I'll post some more photos today to accompany this podcast from the Giant House, but I sent some photos from the Upside Down House, which is really cool. You walk around this museum and you are in rooms that are literally upside down, like the refrigerator is on the ceiling, the toilet is on the ceiling, and you're on the floor which is now the ceiling when you take the photo, and it's pretty pretty well. So the Upside Down House, which I love, That was my favorite, the Giant House, which was pretty cool, and then they had this one which is like you stand in front of these photos and it's kind of it makes you seem like you're in the the artwork.
Speaker 4: Did you wash your hand after you touch the toilet?
Speaker 1: No, I licked the toilet what are you talking about? But it's looking right in the middle of Hollywood, right across from the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum. Guy was. I got down the street a little bit there in Hollywood, so I went with the wife and this is a museum that would not exist without Instagram, would not exist without social media. And it's it's pretty cool. I think it's twelve.
Speaker 3: I've seen some pop ups that are similar where the whole point is to take pictures for social media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's different. I was looking for something to do and I thought that would be something I hadn't done, to be kind of unique, so why not. And I told our friend Lorraine Yeah, that she should take her daughter there and kind of hang out. She's big on the socials.
Speaker 4: So too short to touch the toilet though.
Speaker 1: The other thing about that now I mentioned, you know, the magic and all that, and I'll post some more photos. I'll try to remember do that today. After that, since we were in Hollywood, my wife had made reservations at the oldest restaurant in Hollywood. Do you know what the oldest restaurant in Hollywood is? Daddy Hommy's Tommy's. It probably is no. We went to Musso and Franks. You ever been to Musso and Frank's Grill in Hollywood?
Speaker 4: Never been?
Speaker 1: I'd never been either. I thought I had been there, but i'd been to Miss Ellie's, which is across the street. I thought that was Musso and Franks. I had never been there. This restaurant dates back to nineteen ninety. Now, if you're in Boston or New York or Philadelphia or someplace that's been around for a while, he's like, ah, there's stuff here from the seventeen hundreds. But in California, there's not too much that's around that's older than that. So this thing opened in nineteen nineteen. It's the oldest restaurant in Hollywood. Said to be the genesis of Hollywood. That's their big marketing slogan. And it isn't much different than it was when it opened. And they have a back room for the Hollywood crowd that comes in there, but a lot of the big stars I'm talking this is a place where Charlie Chaplin ate at Humphrey Bogart, Sinatra, Marlon Brando, big stars back in those days, Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 4: So is their food in Black and White.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. Orson Wells was somebody that ate there, and they claim that even now there's still like Johnny Depp, George Clooney, people like that. Well, we'll still still eat there. I don't know, It's fine. It was nice. I actually enjoyed the food. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it because this is a tourist trap. And then the thing that I like most forget about. Marlon Brando, Charlie Chaplin, Marilyn Monroe, hughle Hauser did an episode of visiting with hughl Houser with was this guy on PBS when I was a kid and we mocked him on California's Goal.
Speaker 4: That was a cool show.
Speaker 1: It was cool.
Speaker 4: It was around the edges, but it was endearing because of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he went there. He did an episode and I read online. I did not realize this before I went to Musso and Frank, but I read online that it is listed as one of the thousand places to see before you die. Those lists are always dangerous, Danny, because when you get a list, what if you get everything on the list, then you're ready to die kill ourselves. The only complaint I would have at Musso and Frank is that everything is like kind of o la carte. You get a meal if you want the fetichini alfredo, and you want a side of something else, like potatoes. Everything is ola carte. And I was thinking about pulling a Mallor there, Danny, where I would just like storm out, but I actually my wife wanted to eat there, so we stayed. But I almost pulled a Mallor and just like walked out. I'll walk out if they don't have chips at a Mexican restaurant, or they don't provide free bread at an Italian restaurant. They did provide this an Italian restaurant, Musso. In fact, they didn't provide the bread, so I stayed.
Speaker 4: I did, in fact pull a Mallard.
Speaker 3: Now on yesterday's podcast, we talked about your DMV adventures. Yeah, well, I also went to a website thinking I'm not going to drive over there in person to get an official document from the State of California. I'm just going to do it online. Coming up is the annual Bass Lake Fishing Derby talked about this on the PO podcast before Where go there and meet up with my pops and my older brother and don't catch anything, but pay lots of money to participate. So we have it down to a science now, Ben everybody needs their one day fishing license, but not all of us are going to pay that stupid registration fee because we figure if one of us is lucky enough to catch a ten thousand dollars baths, we'll just hand it over to the person who has the registration paid.
Speaker 1: Sure makes sense, yeah.
Speaker 3: And just give them a little cut of the winnings. But you do need that phishing license. So normally I go to Big five Sporting Goods, which out here on the West Coast is like one of our shops where you can get a one day sport fishing license.
Speaker 1: I did not know that. You're telling me something I.
Speaker 4: Did not know.
Speaker 1: I didn't walk in there and get a little fishing license. It's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like one of the few places here to do that. I was getting ready for for the weekend because my wife, he had mentioned to me when we were at Disneyland last weekend. She said, you know, it's good that we booked Disneyland this weekend because you're going to be gone fishing next weekend.
Speaker 4: She said that A couple.
Speaker 3: Different times, and I was like, all right, and my older brother had been bombarding me with text messages about the fishing trip. In my mind, it's like coming up, it's Saturday, It's Saturday. I got to get ready for this. I get online California's website for the Department of Fish and Wildlife. Well, I've never done this online. Let me figure it out, and I see it in all read it says all sales are final. Put in all my information. I order the one day phishing license for Saturday, which would be today, and it's twenty one bucks. I'm like, okay, whatever, I order it. I put in my credit card information. Boom, and I'm like, man, I'm ready to go. Then about an hour later, I see a text message from my older brother, May fourth right coming up in a couple of weekends.
Speaker 1: Oh no, oh, you.
Speaker 3: Got to be shitting me. Immediately, I blame my wife and I text her, why did you tell me next weekend I was gonna be gone. Yeah, yeah, the first weekend of May. And I'm like, yeah, that's not this weekend coming up. So I realized, shit, I paid this twenty one dollars to get the stupid fishing pass.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's the wrong Saturday, idiot.
Speaker 3: Then I think back to that all red in capitals, like somebody was yelling at me on social media, Zach, I wonder if that's real, Like, can I not adjust this stupid day pass that I'm not gonna use or I haven't used.
Speaker 4: I do what most.
Speaker 3: People probably try to do if I call the phone number listed for their contact. Nice lady answers and she says, oh, yeah, we get this complaint. A lot called me sweetie. She was an older lady, and I'm like, this is not a good sign. She sounds like she's ninety.
Speaker 1: Slarting with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she says, sweetie, even though we're the California Department of Fishing Wildlife, can't help you.
Speaker 4: Website we use is ran by a third party.
Speaker 1: Oh no, she said.
Speaker 3: We can't even get in there and adjust anything inside that site.
Speaker 1: Ah, that sucks.
Speaker 3: So what I'm like, Oh, so I told her, Well, if you know, a game warden comes up on our boat and wants to see my pass and I show it to him, I'm guessing he wouldn't take my explanation. He would just give me a ticket. And she's like, you guessed right, So She's like, I do have one suggestion, though, and she rambled off a PO box in Sacramento. She said, print out your current license that's the wrong date. Put it in an envelope, sweetie, send it over to this Sacramento PO box, and if they're feeling nice, they might send you a refund. But you do need to repurchase another one. Do I just purchase another twenty one dollars pass and mail this thing off to Sacramento? Do I just take a chance and go live on the edge with my fishing pass that's for the wrong day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would not if you have a chance of actually winning the money. Yeah, you gotta.
Speaker 3: If I did pull that fish up that has money attached to it, somebody else would have to claim it regardless.
Speaker 1: All right, So it's twenty one bucks. How much is a ticket? If you got ticketed? How much is a ticket?
Speaker 4: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: You got to look that up. If you don't have a fishing license, what's the penalty? Twenty one bucks? Is like, it's not that much, but that's a meal, right.
Speaker 4: Exactly what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: I bought something on offer up the following day for thirty bucks. That kind of thing sticks in your craw because you're like, damn it, man, what I wasted the day before?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, for sure, now you could do. I work with a guy years ago Fox Sworts Radio. I don't know what happened to him, but he would always drive in the carpool lane, and every once in a while he would get a ticket for driving in the carpooling. But he did the cost benefit analysis and he's like, well, I've only gotten two tickets, and I drive in the carpool lane every day. And I've driven in the carpoolane every day for ten years, and I've gotten two tickets. So if you look at how much I've paid in tickets and then how often I've saved time in driving in the carpoolane, it's worth it.
Speaker 4: I just googled the penalty.
Speaker 1: How much is the penalty is?
Speaker 3: If you are found guilty of fishing without a license in the state of California, the punishment is a fine of between one hundred dollars to one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're gonna pay the money. You're gonna be a riverboat gambler.
Speaker 4: Literally, not sure?
Speaker 3: Man, tweet me at Danny G Radio. Let me know what you would do. I'm not sure how to deal with this. Do I just spend the twenty one and it's a forty two dollars fishing license?
Speaker 4: What a waste of money? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And the tip is also the life act is when you get a fishing license. Even though it's very convenient to go to the sporting good store, it's a third party. So the woman made it seem to me that she implied that if you went through them, she'd be able to change.
Speaker 3: She said, had I gone to Big Five like I normally too, they could have canceled the sale and made it for the right date. So I totally screwed up by trying to have convenience and trying to do it online.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, he's in complete denial. We have the idiom of the week. Are you ready for the idiom of the week?
Speaker 4: Idiom of the.
Speaker 1: Week not to be confused with idiot of the week, the idiom of the week. This was actually sent in by Scott in Northern Kentucky. He said, Hey, Ben, can you do a deep dive on brass tacks?
Speaker 4: The idiom?
Speaker 1: Get down to brass? Tax it actually? People say tax it's taxed or tax is actually the way it is, and this goes back many many years, as all these things do. There's an interesting quirk to this one, though, because tax and nails were made of metals, but tax tacks have flatheads. And there's some different versions of how this came about. Brass tax, get down to brass tax. One of my favorites that I saw was the early days of America. And there's a theory that in America, originally they used coffin tax and when President Lincoln's coffin was designed after he was assassinated at the Ford Theater, it was designed with massive silver tax thacks and it was very unique and it was decorated with the brass tax as well. And the theory is that that is where the phrase get down to brass tax came from. It's now common expression, but that version dates back to the eighteen sixties. And when you come down to brass tax, if we may be allowed, the expression, everybody is governed by selfishness, which is rather rather than confusing. A few years after that there was an article published that said coming down to brass tacks. According to the writer, it meant coming down to the serious business of death. Like President Lincoln so I like that theory. Kind of unique and why not. So we're going with that. There's other theories that are out there that are different. But I like the American original origin story that it has to do with President Lincoln being assassinated, and that's where that phrase comes to, getting down to serious business or death, coming down to brass tacks. We have a little time. Let's get to Danny. Let's see some Pop Goes the Culture?
Speaker 4: Ohio, John.
Speaker 1: John, thank you, thank you, thank you, al And what is up first? Here on Pop Goes the Culture? So many stories and so little time. I thought this one was interesting from Jerry Seinfeld. He is getting absolutely roasted for tearing down modern day films. The movie business. Jerry Seinfeld said, the movie business is over, he said, and this upset people who yes, work in the movie business. But Seinfeld is not wrong. He went on a rant recently with GQ magazine and he said, Hey, Liz, this is this is not this is not a good situation. It's just not film business is dead. It's buried, he said.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: The reason people think this is kind of amusing is he made the declaration while promoting a film that will premiere on Netflix. In a couple of weeks. So he was doing media to promote a film while saying the film is business is terrible. He's going to make his directorial debut on May third, something called Unfrosted will drop on Netflix. I have no idea what that is. Apparently some big name actors and that I have no idea. I'm sure my wife will watch it. She'll let me know if it's good or not, and all that. But the part of the rant, which I thought is just wonderful is the part where he tore down the film industry because I only he's wrong. He said, they don't have any idea that the movie business is over. They have no idea. He said, film does not occupy the pinnacle and the social cultural hierarchy that it did for most of our lives. He said, when a movie came out, if it was good, we all went to see it, We all discussed it, We quoted lines and scenes we liked. Now we're walking through a fire hose of water just trying to see. He claimed.
Speaker 3: Our parents and grandparents sat in lines of cars to go to drive in theaters around the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, they also wanted to make out in the car though you know it was part of the deal, but were born. Yeah, the point of conception. But he's he's so right on that. I quote a lot lot of movies, and I mentioned different random things and monologues, but I don't mention any movie from the last probably fifteen years at least, maybe longer than that. I think it's been about fifteen years since movies really really got bad. I just don't do it. And some people say, well, it's because you're a boomer. It's like, no, if a movie is good and there's a good line in it, I'll quote it. It's just it was like a big to do to go to the show. I remember my aunt loved to go to the show. It was a big deal, and my mom would drop us off at the movie theater. We thought we were like the coolest kids in the world. We'd buy one ticket and just hang out for eight hours at the movie theater watching different movies. But it's not like that, right Obviously.
Speaker 3: Our go to move was my mom would drop us off at the movie. I think there was like one day a week where it was like a cheaper price.
Speaker 4: Do you remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was like early in the week Monday or Tuesday or.
Speaker 3: Something like that, like Tuesday movies or something. And so during the summer, she'd drop us off at a Tuesday afternoon movie. My older brother would take me into the rated R movie across the hall and then would rehearse the lie with me about what the PG movie was all about?
Speaker 1: Salid, did you ever have to use that information?
Speaker 4: For sure?
Speaker 3: Because my mom would quizzes, so what was the movie about? And my brother would then elbow me and I'd have to repeat my rehearsed lines.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, all right, that's good, that's solid, that's good teamwork. That's brother helping brother. That's what that is. Oh I like this story. A actor from Family Guy has revealed his parents hate the show and they would like to show off the air. Keep in mind, this guy has worked on Family Guy as a voice actor for twenty five years and he is the voice of Joe Swanson on the cartoon Family Guy. And he said his parents hate it. They do not want him on the show. They want the show to be canceled. He claimed that his it's because of his parents' backgrounds. His father was in a monastery for three months. He almost became a monk, and he said his mom, when he was like thirteen years old, passed out pamphlets on the sins of masturbation. Pummel him with your powerful fists of female fury. They don't like the humor. That's great, man alive. What else do we have? Let's see do that, And I think, well, I think we'll ended there. I mean there's some other stuff. I think we'll ended there. And anything you want to promote, Danny. It is Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, got day baseball today, NBA playoffs, playoffs, and the final day of the NFL Draft.
Speaker 4: We didn't get to.
Speaker 3: Talk about my Raiders selecting Bowers and how that means Minshew is going to have playing time. So I actually kind of like the fact that Bowers fell down to thirteen. You know, obviously some Raider fans wanted Pennix Junior. I even talked about him. But you know, after every after the dust settled, I was like, well, you know what, Minshew with weapons around him.
Speaker 4: I kind of liked that.
Speaker 1: Look at you, you're putting a sugar coat, a coat of sugar on the on the Raider pick.
Speaker 3: You know, if you weren't able to trade up to get Jaden Daniels and reattach him to Antonio Pierce. Not taking a lineman or like an edge guy that would be a bust or something like that. I kind of liked that they took the best player available.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you took the top tight end in the draft. Whether he's good or not, that's a different conversation, but at least you got the top tight end.
Speaker 3: I actually like who your rams took too, because he also was a guy that would have went a lot higher had that draft not been chocked full of quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Was it really historically a great quarterback draft?
Speaker 4: Though we don't know yet, Well know in three years, but.
Speaker 1: I bet your dollars to donuts.
Speaker 4: No history and statistics say no.
Speaker 1: Well, three of the guys a couple months ago were projected as second or third round picks, and they were all drafted in the top twelve of the draft.
Speaker 4: I mean, what is that looking to hit a Mahomes home run? Yeah, my homer.
Speaker 1: As with Mahomes, the people were questioning Mahomes when he was drafted, like I put up fake stats at Texas Tech and he ran a gimmicky offense. And yeah, anyway, I have a wonderful Saturday. We got the mail bag. Mail bag on Sunday. We will chat with you then later Skater my flation