Speaker 1: Cool Zone media.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here. I am not going to El Salvador. It's not gonna happen, no way, No, thank you, mister President. I'm Garrison Davis. I'm joined by James Stout.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 4: Garrison.
Speaker 2: We're here to talk about possibly the most upsetting thing I've seen in American politics in like the past six months to maybe even I don't know viscerally had hit me for like the past few years. Like yet what happened on Monday in the Oval Office was is kind of the most black pilt I've ever been, which is not a great way to start an episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it like it made me feel like I found twenty twenty three very hard, like going out and seeing people freezing in the desert and then coming home and some by knee ice cream on the on the timeline, but like this was different. This was so like blatant.
Speaker 2: There's like a level of like intentional depravity that you're reminded of or more blatantly so and.
Speaker 4: Like Bukes trolling of yes everyone.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna be talking about an Oval Office meeting between President Trump and El Salvador President Bukelea. I guess I could learn his first name, Naive Buke. There you go.
Speaker 4: You know he's Palestinian Salvadorre.
Speaker 2: Are you fucking serious?
Speaker 4: No, that's an emam.
Speaker 2: I don't even have time for that.
Speaker 4: It's just just fucking I'm sorry. If anyone's driving it has had an accident upon hearing that.
Speaker 2: So, as you probably know, recently, the United States government has sent upwards of three hundred people immigrants to the L Salvador Terrorism Confinement Center, This prison black site that people never return from. I guess I could point to for a pop culture reference, which feels a little bit in bad taste, but you can point to like the prison in the TV show and Or as being a very comparable facility, frankly, except they turn off the lights in and Or they do not turn off the lights in Seacott lights around all the time. They put ten to twenty people per sell. It's pretty bad. Jameson has done episodes on Seacott in the past, will probably keep doing more.
Speaker 4: The lights thing, by the way, was a specific policy change by Bouquele. There was a particularly violent weekend in El Salvador, and as a result, he stopped letting people who were detained for gang crimes go outside and stopped building windows into the prison and just put the lights on because a way of punishing, I guess the gangs by punishing the people who are detained there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can't go outside. They stay in their cell for almost twenty four hours a day. They might occasionally get thirty minutes outside, but that's not even confirmed because no one's even allowed inside to see what's going on in there. And we've sent upwards of three hundred immigrants there, the majority, vast majority of which have no criminal record. Even if you do have a criminal record, being renditioned to a foreign a foreign prison camp is still bad. But this is something that Trump hopes to expand on greatly, and they are currently defending their ability to do so in the court since it has been learned that a few people sent there may have been partially sent by accident, but the Trump administration is refusing to return these people and is instead still trying to convince the public that these are dangerous terrorists that deserve to be disappeared. So let's kind of start with that main case. The case that's receiving the most public attention right now is of a Maryland man named Kilmayor Abrego Garcia, who's a subject of a district court case that has been sent up to the Supreme Court and then sent back to the district court on whether this man can be returned home to his US citizen wife and child. And then on Monday April fourteenth, the Oval Office, meeting President Boukela said that he will not return this Maryland immigrant with protected legal status back to the United States, who Ice admits was sent to Seacot based on a quote unquote administrative error, said, quote, how can I smuggle a terrorist into the United States? Of course I'm not going to do it. The question is preposterous unquote. The Al Salvador president also balked at the idea of releasing Garcia from Seacott since he can't have a quote unquote terrorist free in his country, lying about Garcia being a criminal. I am going to play a few clips in this episode because I think it is necessary to listen to these people actually say the words that they are saying, in the tone that they're saying them, and the exact phrasing on these I think is actually pretty important right now. So unfortunately, you are gonna have to hear the voices of a few people who you might not rather hear from, including the president of El Salvador. So I'll play this first.
Speaker 5: Clips can President big on this?
Speaker 2: Do you plan to return him?
Speaker 6: Well? Yeah, I'm suppose you're suggested that a smuggle terrorist in today United States?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: How can I smuggle How can I return him to the latter It's like I smuggle him into the United States or whether you do, of course.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna do it. It's like, let mean that the question is preposterous. How can I smuggle the terrorist in today United States?
Speaker 6: I don't have the power to return him to the United States inside. Yeah, but I'm not releasing I mean, we're not very fond of releasing terrorists into our country. We just turned the murder capital of the world to the safest country of the Western hemisphere, and he want us to go back into the releasing criminals so we can go back to being the murder capital of the world.
Speaker 3: And that's good. That's not going to be happened. But they'd love to have a criminal, you know, with schedule. I mean, I mean there's there's a fascination. Yeah, these are chick people.
Speaker 4: It's just insane, Like the whole pretend any serious engagement with reality there, it's just gone yeah.
Speaker 2: And they're both like miming that neither of them have the ability to make any kind of deal between each other to send people back, even though they have the ability to make a deal to send people there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as they sit in the same room.
Speaker 2: The whole time Bekayley's talking, Trump has like this, like a growing smirk on his face. As Bekayley's talking about this preposterous notion of smuggling a US immigrant back into the United States despite the Supreme Court order to facilitate the return of this immigrant back into the country. The whole smuggling framing is obviously absurd, with him saying like I don't have the power to return him to the United States. All he needs to do is release him from Seacott and the US can fly him back right just as we flew him to El Salvador. Like the two heads of state are sitting right next to each other. They could agree to do this at any time, But now everyone's pretending that that suddenly they don't have the power to undo what they seemingly had the power to do in the first place.
Speaker 4: Like Bookeley has ruled and we're going to do a whole episode of and like his rise to power and then his use of power. But like he's ruled under a state of exception for years in Elsabador, which allows him to detain people without warrants, without trials, right, and like it's that state of exception that is now the norm there. And that's kind of what he seems to be referring to, right, Like like we just get to lock people up. Why would I not do that?
Speaker 2: In effect, they are arguing that every single human being that is sent to Seacot by the United States is unable to ever leave the prison alive. Yeah, Like that's basically they're saying, because they're saying both both parties, both Trump and Bukel, are unable to have someone who's been sent there returned. So they're just they're just saying like no one's able to do anything, Like they're just stuck there until they die, and like this is part of the design of Seacot. Uh, the person who runs like the Seacot like security has said that they do not intend in any person ever being released from cat. You are not designed to get out. You are stuck there forever. No one's ever left there. Yeah, it's just where you get disappeared, and that's that's all. That's all that it is. And I think part of why they're so unwilling to send Garcia back is because then you have someone like the first person who's ever like gotten out and can talk about what it's actually like in there, when you don't have like Christinome and like propaganda cameras pointed at at the prison bars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bukela is very redicent to really to anyone for that reason, and like there are plenty of valigations and like I think looks like Time magazine has publicist is not huguely controversial that he made deals with gangs in the past in elsabul or right to get them to reduce the murder rate, and like he certainly wouldn't like to hear that testify to certainly not in the United States court, right, So, like he doesn't want people to be released from there either, Like you said, they don't want anyone to be able to go to any international human rights courts and testify as to what happened to them there. So it's kind of in his interest to never have anyone be released. It's not just also, I guess like in his interest, he's also being paid right twenty thousand dollars per detainee per year by the United States right now, so he also has a financial interest in keeping people in there.
Speaker 2: Even this per year deal makes now kind of makes the zero sense because both of them are arguing that there's no way to send anyone back, right, So, like it's not that it's even like, oh, they're only going to be there for one year. It's like they're just they're just there, and like who knows if they're gonna like still be alive by the time that some of these people would be able to get out, whether that's through the miraculous Donald trumpetpeachment of twenty twenty six which will never happen, or like however, like these people are just they are to stuck there because he's not going to release them into his country. We are seemingly unable to take anyone back from there, I think.
Speaker 4: I mean unwilling right, Like the US is theoretically able.
Speaker 2: It's argued that we're unable. As people get into more Yeah, after this at break.
Speaker 4: Okay, we are back.
Speaker 2: One thing that we've seen across the Trump administration the past eighty days or so. Something that we saw very evident in this meeting is that whenever a single person is asked a question about the outrageous, possibly illegal, possibly not, but just immoral or evil things that are being done, the first instinct is always to pass the buck onto someone else. We saw this a lot with Signalgate, how it was always someone else's faults. No single person could get like hammered down of being like, okay, you are the person that's going to be like accountable for this. And throughout this Oval Office meeting, eventually they started taking questions from journalists and reporters and propagandists who are in the room. And you saw this trend of you know, if someone asks Trump about what's going on, he passes the buck to Stephen Miller, who passes the buck to who then passes the buck to Mark Rubio. And it's like this big circle of like everyone's just talking around each other because no one really has the authority to speak on what's going on or how to fix this problem because they don't see it as a problem. So instead they just talk in a circle. And I think Miller was one of the most effective at this and unfortunately, we're going to play the longest clip in this episode, just under two minutes from Stephen Miller, where he lays out the Trump admins thought process and strategy behind what they are doing. And I apologize for this, but it is useful to hear from Himmler two.
Speaker 4: So here here we go, with respect to you.
Speaker 5: He's a citizen of El Salvador, so it's very arrogant, even for American media to suggest that we would even tell El Salvador how to handle their own citizens as a starting point. As two immigration courts found that he was a member of Mster Tank. When President Trump declared MS thir Team to be a foreign terrorist organization, that meant that he was no longer eligible under federal law, which I'm sure you know you're very familiar with, the iona that he was no longer eligible for any form of immigration relief in the United States. So he had a deportation order that was valid, which meant that under our law he's not even allowed to be present in the United States and had to be returned because of the foreign terrorist designation. This issue was then by district court judge completely inverted and a district court judge tried to tell the administration that they had to kidnap a citizen of El.
Speaker 3: Salvador and fly back here.
Speaker 5: That issue was raised to the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court said the District court order was unlawful and its main components were reversed nine zero, unanimously stating clearly that neither Secretary of State nor the President could be compelled by anybody to forcibly retrieve a citizen of El Salvador from Al Salvador, who again is a member of MS thirteen, which is I'm sure you understand, rapes, little girl, girls, murders, woman murder's children, is engaged in the most barbaric activities in the world. And I can promise you if he was your neighbor, you wouldn't move right away, So you don't think.
Speaker 3: And what was r and the Supreme coach safe was at nine to nothing. Yes, it was a nine zero in our favor, in our favor against.
Speaker 5: The Juici Court ruling saying that no court has the power to the telele foreign policy function of the United States.
Speaker 1: As PAM said, the rulers solely stated that if this individual.
Speaker 5: El Salvador sole distress was set back.
Speaker 3: To our country that we could deport him a set in the top.
Speaker 5: No version of this.
Speaker 3: Legally ends up with an ever living.
Speaker 5: Here because he is a citizen of Al Savador, that is the president of Al Sadidor.
Speaker 7: Your question about for the court can only.
Speaker 3: Be directed to Tennant.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot there. Yeah, I think I'm going to start with I can promise you if he was your neighbor, you would move right away. And I think that is really the heart of what the Strump administration is is doing, Like it's appealing to this most basic like suburban crime, panic, fear, racism of well, if he was your neighbor, you wouldn't want him living next to.
Speaker 4: You, Yeah, like a vagos neighborhood kind of.
Speaker 2: Well, just completely lying about like the context of this case with you Miller saying it's arrogant suggest that we, the most powerful country in the world, are used to be before the tariffs can tell El Salvador how to handle its citizens, falsely claiming that immigration courts deemed him a member of MS thirteen, which just is not true, talking about kidnapping him from Seacott to return him to the United States, as if Ice didn't just kidnap hundreds of people with no criminal records and send them to a foreign goo lug and then also lied about about the Supreme Court ruling, saying they found the district court order to return to Garcia unlawfel and grossly mischaracterizing the scope of what the Supreme Court ruling was and how it was sent back to the district court to work with the details on facilitate the return actually means. And again, I think like the one of the most telling parts is how he ends by saying, quote, no version of this ever ends up with him living here, And yeah, like they're gonna look for any any way to like make this test case to work, right and if and if they if they can do this to someone with protected legal status, who is not a who's not a terrorist, who is not an actual MS thirteen gang member, right, this is this is kind of ideal for them because that means they can paint anybody as as a foreign policy threat enough to be sent to a foreign goolag. Then at the very end of the clip, he passes the buck off to to Bouquetlight to have to have him answer this question again perfectly laying out their strategy.
Speaker 4: There's a lot to break down in what military It's also just kind of interesting cambillary is like amongst the press, He's not one of the people like sat on the couch is supposed to be giving the press conference. Right, he just kind of wades in too. I guess like like offer this opinion and kind kind of like be the kind of embassy of this of their response, I guess in a sense, I think crucially, like Abergo Garcia's protection was from being returned to El Salvador, right, because he had been harassed by gang members when leaving El Salvador and when living in El Salvador.
Speaker 2: He's lived in the States since twenty eleven, and he left El Salvador to flee harassment and abuse from gang members.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the gangs that he's been accused of being a part of. But like it then follows that, like it would be legal for them to deport him to a third country, right, and that is the path that they've followed with all the Venezuelan migrants. Right, They've accused him of being members of Trend de Ragua. I have not seen a compelling case made that any of them are yet. I'm sure people from Trend de Ragua have come to this country, but they have not provided any evidence that the people they have sent to say God, are those people.
Speaker 2: No, Like we've had like fourteen people are like accused of some kind of like violent crime like murder or rape, and in the other like two hundred and seventy five do not have a criminal record whatsoever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the bulk of this is relying on some kind of idea that they have entirely created from fiction, that they are tattooing practices when one entered the raga. And for them, right, even if they can't be returned to Venezuela, they feel that they have this endraum which is okay, we'll send them to a Salvador. But for the Salbadarians, that's a different question, right, And that is what they're trying to find here, And that is worrying because the case here that is getting the most publicity, that seems to be the one that the Supreme Court has taken up is about the Salbadaran man. And I hope that doesn't mean that like the ship has sailed for the Venezuelans, right that essentially, Yeah, No, like they don't have a case because that was the vast bulk of them. I think there was only like sixty Salbadrean citizens and the rest Venezuelans, no one.
Speaker 2: Hundreds of people have been like forgotten in this After Miller's rant there, Mark Rubio jumped in to state that, quote, no court in the United States has the right to conduct the foreign policy of the United stins States unquote. And Steven Miller hopped back in to talk about this Supreme Court case that they're falsely saying they won nine to zero, which is not how that case went, and they start talking more broadly about what can be allowed if it has to do with the foreign policy of the United States, and how the courts don't have the ability to intervene in that process.
Speaker 5: No, the foreign policy of the United States is conducted by the President of the United States, not by a court, and no court in the United States has.
Speaker 3: A right to conduct the foreign policy of the United States. It's that simple end of story. And that's what mister Preme Court held.
Speaker 5: By the way, has Barbara fort the Suterpeini Court said exactly what Marco said, that no court has the authority to compel the foreign policy function the United States. We want a case nine zero, and people like CNN are portraying it as a loss as usual because they want foreign terrorists in the country who kidnap women and children.
Speaker 2: Part of what I find so disturbing about this idea of you know, no habeas corpus, no due process if you aren't on foreign soil is that like this idea of the courts having no jurisdiction over foreign policy decisions means that as long as you whether you're a citizen, whether you're a permanent resident to document or undocumented immigrant, as long as you are forcedly removed from the United States soil, your rights and your due process has been forfeit, and the US has neither the obligation nor sometimes the ability to return you to US soil if that is their foreign policy interest. And this is such a troubling broad concept that the portions of the courts are kind of allowing them to claim right now, and the complete removal of due process is like slowly getting encroached upon at first with undocumented immigrants and green card holders, but as we will see in the next section, they are also absolutely going to be targeting US citizens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think like we should just point out obviously the court is not conducting the foreign policy of the United States. It's ruling on the legality of the action taken by the press, which is exactly what it's supposed to do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And as it relates to your rights for due process if you are in the United States.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Like every single US person, right, US person would be anybody who resides in the US, be they documented or done, documented, migrant, citizen, what have you like, has a stake in this.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go on break and then come back to discuss the expansion of the sea Cott detention program and the possible targeting of US citizens.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're back.
Speaker 2: So on April seventh, a few weeks ago, while on Air Force One, President Trump fild reporters that he would be quote unquote honored for the President of Al Salvador to take a US citizens quote unquote American grown and born criminals and put them in sea Cott, the Terrorism Confinement Center prison black Site, saying quote why should it stop just at people that cross the border illegally unquote. A few days later, the White House Presecretary reiterated that this is something that Trump is discussing both publicly and privately, and later during the April fourteenth Oval Office meeting, Trump said that if Salvador was to build more of these torture mega prisons, the United States would quote unquote help them out. If the Trump administration could disappear more American immigrants and US citizens to these prison black sites, well, I.
Speaker 3: Pay for those facieties to be opened a few once we're going to be built, I'd do something. We'd help them out.
Speaker 7: We help them think great facilities, very strong facilities, and.
Speaker 8: They don't play games. I'd like to go step further. I mean, I say I said it to Pam. I don't know what the laws are. We always have to obey the laws. But we also have homegrown criminals that push people into.
Speaker 7: Subways, that hit elderly ladies on the back of the head with a baseball bat when they're not looking.
Speaker 8: That are absolute monsters. I'd like to include them in the group of people to get them out of the country. But you'll have to be looking at the laws on that state.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So this is just the start of a long process that is going to be deeply troublesome and worrying. And again like this is something that they keep talking about. I think they're still looking for some kind of legal justification, or they're looking for something that maybe, if not allows for this, explicitly prohibits this in a way that they can't get around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you notice he called out Miller. He said, you have to look at the laws and the Steve obviously Miller is not the attorney general.
Speaker 2: He also did mention Attorney General Pambondi. Pambondi, Yeah, who's also looking into this option right now?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: But Miller is often credited with being the kind of mastermind between behind Title forty two, right, which was an extremely obscure piece of public health law that was them mobile by the first Trump administration to immediately return migrants to Mexico without giving them their right to it an asylum hearing, right, And like that's what I'm wondering if they're going for again, Like Steve Miller has been very good at this, at finding obscure justifications in the United States federal law for shit that they want to do.
Speaker 2: I think this is why they're definitely trying to stretch this foreign policy claim as far as they can that if it's if it's outside US soil, there's a limited way US courts can actually interfere or undo things that have already been done. And again, like the idea that we're going to like fund the construction of even more of these El Salvador mega prisons just to house American grown and born criminals as well as immigrants, like we're just funding like goolog camps on foreign soil to send the undesirables to. And no matter how much Trump talks about how we're oldly going to send quote unquote like American criminals there, as we've seen with seacots so far. Like, no, like the majority of people they are sending do not have criminal criminal histories. I don't think anyone can trust the Trump administration's definition of what isn't isn't criminal to this extent anymore. Later in the same meeting, Trump reiterated the same idea about sending you a citizens who his administration deems criminals to this foreign black site. Here's another clip.
Speaker 3: This is all question on a clarification.
Speaker 9: You mentioned that you're open to supporting individuals that aren't foreign aliens for our criminals.
Speaker 3: To Al Salvador. Does that include potentially US citizens?
Speaker 9: Fully naturalized immrated if they're criminals, and if they hit people with baseball bats over the head that happened to be ninety years old, and if if they rape eighty seven year.
Speaker 3: Old women in Coney Island, Brooklyn, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 7: Why do you think there's a special category of person. They're as bad as anybody that comes in. We have bad ones too, and I'm all for it. We have others sort of negotiating with two. But no, it's if it's if it's a home grown criminal, I have no problem.
Speaker 2: He's really obsessed with baseball bats thing. I don't quite know what that's about.
Speaker 4: It seems like a specific case that he's referring to.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's something he remembers like thirty years ago that it really got stuck in his head. Right, But also later he says that they're negotiating with other countries to send US citizens to not just El Salvador.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they've sent migrants, third country migrant to Panama before, right, and detain them there. Honduras I believe is building like a prison that's not dissimilar to Secord. Like I'm be guessing this will be their sort of way of courting allies in the hemisphere because they'll sort of pay them a relatively large amount in order to attempt to offshore people they don't like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again, like as we've seen the past few years and increasingly so now, the effort to label like activists or people who are vocally opposed to the United States foreign policy, the United States and the State of Israel deeming them terrorists and then by extension, if you charge them with the crime, then criminals. The idea that they can be housed in a place like Sea cot now with very very limited to no due process. The whole due process question is still very up in the air for how they're going to handle that aspect. But you can't just take this as like, oh, you know that that's just Trump talking, like, no, this is this is something they really want to do. And it's like one of the freakiest things that I've seen in like domestic US politics in a long time. Earlier, Trump was recorded half whispering to Makayla telling him that El Salvador needs to build five more Sea Cought style torture prisons to house US citizens, as Trump says homegrown criminals. Bukeley replies that they will have enough room, and then the entire Oval office laughs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they said homegrowns.
Speaker 8: Next, the home growns, you get a build about five more places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all right.
Speaker 2: It's the bleakest clip I've ever seen before. Yeah, talking about homegrowns. Their next got to build five more places. Oh, we have enough space. Everyone laughs. And then Trump shows off the new gold frames for the portraits in the Oval Office.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a dinner party joke for them. It might just be worth noting that, like every totalitarian regime has housed its dissidents outside of the imperial core. Right, like like Germany totally did this in the East, right, Russia sent people to Siberia for Russia, so sobet Union.
Speaker 2: Creating creating these like stateless zones where like the regular laws of your of your like fatherland state do not apply, right.
Speaker 4: And where the horrors are so far from the populace that the populist can't really grasp them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, this is like elementary school stuff. It says like like the first thing you learn about is concentration camps and gulags, and how that's like this symbol of evil and now it's something you laugh about in the Oval Office to send home growns to five disappearing torture camps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like, just to be like even clear, I guess what distinguishes a concentration camp from a prison is that there is no due process right. People are sent there because of who they are, not because of what they did.
Speaker 2: Like if you're a Venezuelan man who may or may not have a tattoo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like the way are I don't know what it will take for some people to realize what's happening here.
Speaker 2: And like the president of El Salvador is so on board for this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he doesn't hide from that reputation, right, he embraces it. His Twitter for a while had world's Coolest dictator in the bio. I don't know if it still does, like.
Speaker 2: And like both him and Trump have openly aligned themselves with quote unquote nationalism and nationalists. They're openly saying this. Trump said dictator on day one. That wasn't just a rhetorical device, that was literal. This is what he's doing. The Alabita president told Trump, you have three hundred and fifty million people to liberate, but to liberate three hundred and fifty million people, you have to imprison some. And you follow that up by saying that he is eager to help with that, And I fat.
Speaker 10: Mister President, you have three hundred and fifty million people to liberate it. But to liberate three hundred and fifty million people, you have to prison some.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's the way it works, right. You cannot just you know, free the.
Speaker 10: Criminals and think.
Speaker 3: Crimes are going to go down magically. Have to imprisoned them.
Speaker 10: So you can liberate three hundred and fifty million Americans that are asking for the end of crime and the end of terrorists.
Speaker 3: Many can be done, I mean, if you're doing it already.
Speaker 6: So I'm really happy to be here, honored any anger to help this whole.
Speaker 2: Like liberation through imprisonment thing is elementary school stuff here.
Speaker 4: You don't have to have a pH in the history of the nineteen thirties to have someone tell you that, like liberation of the chosen nation by purging of the undesirables is fascist shit. But like I'm here with one to tell you if that's what you need, you know, like this is textbook stuff, like Garrison's saying, like this is not debatable, Like I know, we spent the last four years debating is Trump a fascist or not? I don't think that matters hugely, right, like this is a fascist thing.
Speaker 2: It's so much more disturbing that now, according to like polls, like half around half the population maybe a little bit less just agree with the current way that deportations are happening and Trump's immigration policy like on a completely like flat basis. And if you spend any time on on X the everything app, watching videos of of these press conferences, it's full of people just like cheering this on completely, like completely blankly.
Speaker 4: I think that's a very skewed sample of people who totally paid for Elon Musk.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, but like the number.
Speaker 4: Of people, Yeah, it's real humans saying like these are.
Speaker 2: Real people who just just completely completely blankly think this is a this is this is a net good and like this is those people are unreachable. You cannot come back from that, like you is, there is no coming back from that if you believe that the way depretations are currently happening is fair, just and right, Like I cannot understand you as a human anymore. That is so like divorced and like alien.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've gone past the point of no return, right like.
Speaker 2: Liberals who like shield the who like shield their eyes from like the horrors at the border. Like, I don't agree with that, but in some ways I can understand it. The open like cheering on of this right is like a whole it's a whole other level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not like I can't bear to see it. I'm gonna ignore it so it will cause me to confront the no the contradictions. It's I'm seeing it and watch again, and I think it's fucking great.
Speaker 2: The last thing I'm gonna I'm gonna play here a scene and reporter asked Trump if he would obey a Supreme Court order to return someone to the United States. Instead of answering this question, Trump attacked the reporter and complained about how she wasn't praising him for deporting criminals.
Speaker 5: You said that if the Supreme Court said someone needed to be returned, that you would abide by that. You said that on Air Force one just a few days ago, and they said that it must facilitating.
Speaker 8: Why didn't you just say, isn't it wonderful that we're keeping criminals out of our country?
Speaker 3: Why can't you just say that, why do you.
Speaker 8: Go over and over and that's why nobody watches you anymore?
Speaker 3: You know you have no credibility.
Speaker 2: Please go ahead, Yeah, mad, very textbook authoritarian like blanket stuff like there's there's nothing to like commentate about that. It just is what it is. I guess we do have some breaking news because we're recordings on Tuesday. James wanna want to, impossibly five minutes or less, fill us in about the the update from the from the District Court on Garcia's case since it was sent back to the to the District Court from the Supreme Court last week regarding his possible facilitated return to the United States.
Speaker 4: Right, so much of this has hinged over what facies means. Right, Like, they found the legal concept that they can argue ad nauseum and in this case it's the word facilitate. The DOJ didn't present a new information today, but we see that there's some hopeful things on a district court judge and then it kind of all goes up in flames. But I think genius is x I and I S is how the name is spelled. I believe it's genius said that every day that he's there is a day of further irreparable harm. And she talks about the process being at the roots of the constitution. Right, She's ordered for like two weeks more of discovery, which is going to mean that both sides have more time to repair their cases. Right. She wants people to testify in front of the court. She is so the administration has argued that facilitating his return would consist of them allowing him to enter the United States if Buke released him, and possibly providing a flight for that to happen, but not crucially ensuring his release from SECOD. Right, and so anything else going to that doesn't matter. Ginis said that like their interpretation of the word flies in the face of the plain meaning of the word. Quote, when a wrong fear removed individual is uh. And then I'm adding to the quote here I guess or context. She means, when a wrong fe remove individual is taken outside the US, it's not so cut and dried that all you have to do is remove obstacles domestically. She also said, quote to the Department of Justice here, you made your jurisdictional arguments, you made your venue arguments, you made your arguments on the merits you lost This is now about the scope of the remedy. Right, this is a case that Miller is claiming they want that's pretty unequivocal for a justice. However, she does not seem to think that it is within her power to request his return from El Salvador. So she's calling for things to move quickly. Right, they want to conduct depositions about twenty third of April, she said, quote council vacations, council over appointments. I'm usually pretty good about it. Not this time. I'm going to be available if you need to do it odd hours or weekends. That's what I'm talking about. Like anything short of a judge saying you have to go to SECOT, remove him from the cell, put him on the plane, and bring him back to America is going to be interpreted by the Trump administration to mean that they don't have to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're going to weasel their way around it, the same way you heard Steven Miller weasel his way around every question, and with with truth being used as a as a flexible medium. Yeah, to shape a sculpture of their choosing. And like they've done that, right, the word facilitate. I think most people who are first language English speakers have a fairly good grasp with what that means, and it doesn't mean like remove barriers domestically, that's what they've gone for. The only way that he is getting out it's a majority Supreme Court decision that is extremely explicit that directs the Trump administration to go to El Salvadore and remove him from that prison. I haven't seen anything to indicate that we're getting that anytime soon. And as the judge said, right every day he's there, he's a reparable harm is done to him. And that's where we're at right now, right with people arguing over the definition of a word, as hundreds of people are locked up having done nothing wrong in a giant torture prison. And this is not the only person who we believe was quote unquote mistakenly sent other supporting today coming out of documented New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good outlet.
Speaker 2: By the way, a father of a nineteen year old legal legal immigrant from Brooklyn. This nineteen year old with no tattoos, was kidnapped off the streets of New York. The quote from his father reads, quote the officers grabbed him and two other boys right at the entrance to our building. One said, no, he's not the one, like they were looking for someone else.
Speaker 4: One officer to be clear, correct, Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: The other officer said take him anyway, unquote. And now this father, exactly a month later, is still looking for his miss son, who is disappeared into a Nel Salvador torture prison.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jesus. Like I've said before on this show, like one of the things that I learned in the Darien Gap was how much people can care about their kids, and like this shit that I saw people do to ensure that kids had a better life, like broke my heart in a way. That war hasn't that like anything else I've seen in my life hasn't. And it's like honestly really hard for me to hear stuff like that and and like not react just being really sad or really angry, like it's fucking brutal.
Speaker 2: Things are looking a lot more grim in my mind than they were when we recorded that Should You Leave the United States episode. I still think the things I said there I stand by, and I stand by the only recommendation I have is to create options for yourself, and I think those options should be created as soon as possible, especially if you're sittingship is a topic of debate according to the United States government, But even that will not keep you safe, as we've as we've talked about it today.
Speaker 4: And your options include creating networks to take care of one another. Right, Like, the things that will probably affect more of you than direct state violence are economic downturns, are recessions, right, things like this, like those are things that you can take care of one another through, and like you should plan to do that too. You should you should think about how you're going to pay your bills, how you're going to feed each other, how you're going to take care of your medical needs. Because I don't think that the world is going to want to keep doing business with the country that acts like this, and both economically and in terms of its conduct towards migrants. So like, your plans don't have to be to leave, like your plans should also include what to do if things get really bad, like in an economic sense. I'm not going to tell you what that means, but it's all we've already talked about, raids, mutual aid, It's all the basic preparedness stuff that is not as big and scary as leaving the country, but is nonetheless like vital.
Speaker 2: We will continue to report on the Garcia case other court cases regarding these three hundred people renditioned to El Salvador and Seacat in the next few weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just to finish up. As things continue to get worse, people keep reaching out to us, which we appreciate. If you would like to, you can email us cool Zone Tips at proton dot me. We will read it. We might not get back to you. Your email is not end to end encrypted unless the email that you're sending from is also encrypted that you can reach out to us there.
Speaker 2: See you on the other side.
Speaker 1: It can happen here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.