Speaker 1: Previously on Number one Dad.
Speaker 2: It may have been the greatest scam for a sports fan. Posing as a Sports Illustrated Kids reporter with your dad and getting into all the games, not to mention the locker rooms.
Speaker 3: It didn't matter where we were. He would turn himself into whatever character he needed to be. We could walk into a Greek restaurant and all of a sudden, he'd have a Greek accent.
Speaker 4: He speaks French, and you know who knew His personality is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: He had met Obama, but the way he would explain it was that he had a tight relationship with him.
Speaker 5: There were moments where Manny would assume the role of undercover police officer.
Speaker 6: He actually represented me in quotations, represented me. He's posing as my attorney in a court.
Speaker 1: You cannot control him.
Speaker 3: Don't underestimate the power of what could happen.
Speaker 7: You're giving me a boosebust man because yourself.
Speaker 5: Just like I remember your dad.
Speaker 6: He said, you're not gonna believe this, but Gary is climbing up the ladder and America's got talented, and he was happy.
Speaker 5: He was proud. He used to love taking you to games.
Speaker 6: Now how he got you to those games might have been different than how you'll take Sullivan to see NHL.
Speaker 5: Games or NBA games.
Speaker 6: But the joy that you're gonna have with Sullivan is the joy he had with you.
Speaker 1: You go to any hockey games every once in a while. Yeah, I still like the garden.
Speaker 5: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Have you ever gone back? No, have never gone back.
Speaker 5: Last time it was with you, it was at the Ranger game.
Speaker 8: He's left someone who's.
Speaker 7: Ever Then.
Speaker 1: I am on my way to New York City to Madison Square Garden. I'm gonna be seeing a Rangers game with my dad. I can't believe I just said that, but he and I are going to see a Rangers game together. We are going to be sitting together. That's something we never did before. We have tickets. That's also something that never happened before when we go to the garden. But I mean, this podcast has brought up so many different emotions, but going to this game, I feel brings everything full circle. And this is something that meant so much to me growing up, and it's one of my favorite memories as a kid, going to the garden with my dad. I don't know how we'll actually feel when I'm there, but I'm going to try and cherish this moment. This is number one down. After I found parking, I walked to the meeting spot and saw my father right outside Madison and Square Garden, standing on the corner of Seventh Avenue and thirty first Street. He was early and he had a big smile on his face. You're excited to go to the game.
Speaker 8: I'm happy to be with you again.
Speaker 5: Doesn't mean as much as Penny Komba youth.
Speaker 8: Come over, I'll show my pass.
Speaker 5: Heah, we got tickets.
Speaker 1: We don't need a pass.
Speaker 8: No, no, we got tickets.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they'll just.
Speaker 1: We have actual access. We don't need to jump lines, jump ropes, and everything is good. We got legitimate tickets to start.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but it's no fun when you come in legally.
Speaker 1: My dad saying it's no fun to come in legally is quintessential him. It was a quick, funny line for my father, but also one of the most illuminating things he'd ever said. Breaking the rules for him was more than a compulsion. It was a rush. My dad made it a point in his life to always be at the front of the line. In his mind, that's where he belongs, and in this case, he was trying to cut the general admission ticket line with a fake VIP pass he had laminated from one of his previous scams, and it worked. Oh by the way, the line had five people on it. As we approached the metal detectors, my dad said hello to the security guards, just like he did back in the day.
Speaker 8: Hey, how you doing. Okay, good, good to see you.
Speaker 5: How are you.
Speaker 1: Of course, my father had to walk through the metal detectors several times because they kept going off, Okay, I'll.
Speaker 5: The step I got shirt, Darry just take this off from me.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I got here. That for the guys who come through.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just walk through.
Speaker 1: Let's come to. Finally, after going in and out of the metal detector and pulling different items out of his pockets, the security guard eventually took out his wand and my dad was able to get through.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 5: So what do you think about the security here? You think it's good.
Speaker 8: I think it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's not like you brought in a bomb.
Speaker 8: No, no, I didn't.
Speaker 7: So you got to say hi to everybody. I let everybody know the business.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, it's all the matter of confusing people. Yeah, and that's how I get away with most of my bullshit.
Speaker 6: I like to make my face know oh yeah, oh y am.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't think that guy's forgetting you.
Speaker 1: This is the stuff that used to drive me and seeing as a kid. But after everything I've been through doing this podcast, I've turned a corner. This is who my dad is, and for tonight at least, I'm going to try and enjoy it.
Speaker 7: So when was the last time you were out the garden with you?
Speaker 8: I'm going to say probably about.
Speaker 1: Six Yeah, ninety six, that's what I think it was the last time we went together.
Speaker 8: Well, my phone was ringing that think.
Speaker 5: Hold on, I want.
Speaker 8: What my problem?
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Hi, what's madam? I Tom goes to court tomorrow? Uh huh okay, good night, bye bye. That's your uncle.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what do you want?
Speaker 8: Breaking my balls about what I sued somebody? Yeah? And uh, you wanted to remind me they're going to court tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Do I want to be there? Any answers? No, I don't need to be there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, i'msuing man right right.
Speaker 1: It's crazy how when you're with my father, he never gets a normal phone call. It's always about a lawsuit. It must be so exhausting for him that this is how he's lived for decades. But I guess that's the only way he knows how to do things.
Speaker 7: What are you think of the good seem.
Speaker 5: Wonderful?
Speaker 1: Remember where he sat during this ally coup or where you took pictures?
Speaker 8: I was down there?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: And then you remember me walking out on the ice. Yeah, yeah, I did.
Speaker 6: No, I might even have pictures because I went out on the ice with my camera, and you know.
Speaker 8: If I have my camera, I'm taking pictures. That's kind of how you remember it. In the garden, there's so much better.
Speaker 5: It's really grand.
Speaker 1: The reverence my father and I share for Madison Square Garden is one of the few things we are able to see eye to eye on. When you walk in, you instantly get goosebumps. As we sat in our seats, my father couldn't help but reminisce and gloat about our history in the world's most famous arena.
Speaker 6: Do you remember you were at the garden and you went out and you came back and you had a stuffed animal?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna tell you. When you said where you were sitting, because we would have sit together. I walked around and I didn't have enough money to buy a stuffed animal. And then the guy behind me a line. He's like, he's like Presis Kett. It was Game one on the Stanley Cup. I was walking around the garden by myself. I know I got that that stuffed animal. How do you remember that?
Speaker 8: I remember a lot of things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you came back and you said some guy bought it, and I was all upset.
Speaker 5: I don't want you to talk to strangers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you were letting me walk around the garden at a ten year old, by my felf.
Speaker 8: You were going to do whatever you wanted to do anyway.
Speaker 1: I was definitely surprised to hear my father say he remembered how a stranger bought me a Teddy Bear at game one of the Stanley Cup Finals back in nineteen ninety four. Even more shocking to me was him saying he didn't want me talking to strangers. Well, if he really felt that way, maybe he shouldn't have left his kid by himself in an arena with eighteen thousand people.
Speaker 5: What does a magician do.
Speaker 6: He distracts you, right, you know that's what I did with the gods.
Speaker 5: I was distracting him the whole times.
Speaker 1: He remember how my dad went in and out of the metal detector when we were entering the garden. I found out why, so what is that?
Speaker 8: Don't go back.
Speaker 6: It's something you dreams get on a plane with, or you get locked up.
Speaker 1: The object my dad pulled out of his pocket was a six inch switch blade. The whole time he was going in and out of the metal detector and talking with security, confuse them enough. They completely missed the knife.
Speaker 5: Say look at this.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, Yeah, he can't go on and play with that.
Speaker 5: No, but I could get for his security. Yeah I just saw me do that, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 6: No, it's how I present myself and want My plan is, yeah, to confuse them.
Speaker 5: When I go home on the train, I have this with me.
Speaker 6: If somebody fucked with me, I'm going to stab him in one place in the leg. And if and if he's got his hands around my neck and I'm gonna not maybe get out, I go right for the growin right there. You know why, artery, the main order is there. You cut that, I'll bleed to death. Quarter cops come the guys, like.
Speaker 7: I was just gonna ask your directions man stab me the girl.
Speaker 1: The puck was about to drop, and my father started chatting up the two finance bros sitting next to us, bragging about my celebrity status.
Speaker 8: It's my son, he said, FAM's comedian. The last time I brought him here, I going here to the Stanley. All right, let them watch?
Speaker 5: Why do you need to talk to that? Listen? And then I left the house.
Speaker 8: Every day, if I don't scam something is a bad day.
Speaker 1: What an insane way to live your life. But that's my dad, following a path of honesty and integrity. Never was of any interest to him.
Speaker 5: Do you want me to try to make a fake idea black.
Speaker 6: That for you?
Speaker 5: Do you like this?
Speaker 8: Let me see that.
Speaker 1: I don't think I need a fake idea, you know, just a seven year old father asking his thirty seven year old son if he wants a fake id Nothing strange here, I won't. Do you remember where you came up with the idea to go to games using Sports Illustrated?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Because he used to tell me you wanted to meet different people. And I said, how am I going to prove this for him?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okakes money?
Speaker 1: Yeah, scamming our way into the garden was obviously deceitful and illegal, but it was also the only way my dad saw to give his sports crazed kid a chance to meet his heroes. And now that I'm a father, while I might not do the same thing, I completely understand why he did. Maybe it was the atmosphere. I don't know. I found myself letting my guard down around my father. His charm was working, which, funny enough, is exactly what my friend Sam Morrel said would happen at the beginning of this whole thing. With a few minutes to go in the first period, I got up to go to the bathroom, and I gave Sam a call to tell him what was going on. Hey, buddy, I am calling you from the bathroom at Madison Square Garden. I'm at a Ranger game with my dad. Oh boy, how.
Speaker 7: Are they doing?
Speaker 4: Guy who only cares about the game? I was interesting.
Speaker 1: The game's going all right, and so far it's going alright with my dad too.
Speaker 4: Did he did he sneak in? Or did he?
Speaker 1: Did he buy tickets? This time?
Speaker 8: This time?
Speaker 1: This time we bought tickets, And I tell you, he definitely wishes that we snuck in.
Speaker 4: I could tell I feel like he's going to need to, like, you know, rip off like a hot dog vendor or something now, just to scratch the itch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the first thing he said, he was like, I liked a lot more when we were when we were scamming our way in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like taking Danny Ocean to a casino just to like play blackjack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Well is this at least enjoyable?
Speaker 1: Is it just weird? I'm kind of in the mindset where this is me and my dad and we're at a game together, and you know, just try and enjoy it for what it's worth.
Speaker 4: But it's got to be tough. I mean, there's a reason people that actually fought in the Civil War didn't do Civil War reenactments, you know. I Mean it's like, this is your actual life and you're just trying to recreate it into something that was better and more healthy.
Speaker 1: Right. I never thought of it that way. Now I feel worse.
Speaker 5: Oh that was my intention.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, like I sometimes it's like you're trying to stick a square peg into a round hole. It's like, this isn't your relationship with him, and you're just going to try to make it that this many years later.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm not trying to judge him, just saying it must be difficult.
Speaker 8: No, it is.
Speaker 1: It's difficult, and I don't know where things are going to go from here. But you know, just taking it, you know, a little by little.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's all you can do, is you have to see if he's up for a new kind of relationship.
Speaker 1: Right yeah. I mean, hey, don't get me wrong, I'd rather be at the game with you.
Speaker 4: We'll make it happen more and more Rangers games.
Speaker 1: While I was on the phone with sam My, dad's mic was still rolling and he couldn't help himself from boasting about me to the two finance guys. I told him to leave alone. If I'm being honest, it was nice to hear.
Speaker 6: Yes, they're show in Vegas, Hamedy Sellar, Gary Veeter s google him and do a GT. America's got talent. Howard Stern loves him, Aliande, I gotta tell you you watched him, you left your balls.
Speaker 5: I guarantee it. I taught him everything he knows, right well.
Speaker 6: I taught him is how to get into a game like this for free.
Speaker 5: That's what I taught him.
Speaker 1: When I got back from the bathroom, I saw my dad chatting these guys up. He was breaking about our Sports Illustrated scam. I didn't mind. My dad was truly enjoying the experience, and honestly, it was nice to look back on our past accomplishments.
Speaker 7: All right, Hey, hey, would you tell um he wrote a story about it?
Speaker 5: Show him this picture.
Speaker 1: My father then pulls out his phone to show the Sports Illustrated article.
Speaker 6: I wrote, Yeah, marilemil here, I don't walk around my ball basketball game.
Speaker 8: You know what slider hand is, right, I do slider mind.
Speaker 5: That's him, and that's Nancy arrogant. I told you, he said.
Speaker 1: Finally, my dad left those guys alone and we tried to act like a normal father and son.
Speaker 7: Was there anybody we ever meant that you were happy to meet yourself?
Speaker 5: Michael Jordan? I thing, yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 8: Was pretty cool.
Speaker 5: What did my mom think about us going to the game?
Speaker 6: I think that mom knew that I was a good con man, and she didn't want you to learn those things. You have to understand something. Grandma and Grandpa went through the Holocaust, and the people that came home were the one you figure out how to survive, whether it was to get a little extra piece of bread, and that was my mentality, is to be able to do something.
Speaker 5: Believe me, you don't know half the ship that I've gotten. A lot I can't talk about.
Speaker 1: My father has been pretty forthcoming with everything I wanted to know so far. But what are the things he can't talk about? Are there scams bigger than the ones I already know? Since I started this podcast, I learned my dad schemed his way into meeting Obama, Trump, and Biden, that he rubbed elbows with the former head of the New Jersey Mob and mixed it up with Supreme, one of the biggest drug kingpins in New York. I also learned about as many businesses that went south due to his cons But what is he keeping secret? Did I only scratch the surface of who my father really is.
Speaker 6: I'll never be another Gretzki, I don't think, huh.
Speaker 7: I mean it's different.
Speaker 1: They're really good players now, some guys are really good.
Speaker 7: It's just a different era, you know. So it's like, there's not gonna be another Michael Jordan. But Lebron James was pretty good.
Speaker 5: I used to date Lebron James's attorney. Oh yeah, Denver.
Speaker 1: He lived in Ohio, So that's new information to me. My dad dated Lebron James's attorney. So if you're out there, I'm sorry you had to endure a date with my father, and I hope when you went out for dinner he didn't stick you with the bill any scams.
Speaker 7: Nobody ever was like, hey in fourteen old gotta throw it. Throw you in the back of a trunk.
Speaker 5: I saw you get.
Speaker 7: Thrown out of the rest the sea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, run out of the restaurant.
Speaker 6: Well, I told the guy that was fucking glass and a thing, and he told me, you don't like it, get the fuck.
Speaker 1: Out of you.
Speaker 5: It's such a fuck you. And then.
Speaker 6: Him and his brother both came out. His brother grabbed me behind my neck. That's when I decided, when that happens again, the only thing I.
Speaker 5: Do is go after somebody's eyeballs.
Speaker 6: If you stick your thumb in somebody's eye, it's very painful, and if you do it right, you can pop it right.
Speaker 5: Out and it I'll hang right here. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not only am I reconnecting with my father, I'm also learning this guy's got a real action hero fantasy thing going on in his mind. Stabbing guys in the balls on the Long Island Railroad, thumbing eyeballs out at diners. Yeah, he might be an out of shape seventy year old Jewish guy, but in his head, he's John Wick. At the beginning of the third period, the Ranger scored and took a one nothing lead. My dad and I both jumped up from our seats and high five. Felt natural, and in that moment it felt like I had a dad.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go to the bathroom.
Speaker 5: I gotta.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, after the goal, my dad went to the bathroom, and when he came back to our seats, he came bearing a gift. It was a bobblehead. I guess he was trying to make up for that Teddy Bear back in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 5: That's a babblehead. Oh you going? You paid?
Speaker 8: You pay for this bobblehead?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: You crazy?
Speaker 1: I'll give it the Sullivan.
Speaker 5: That's where I want to give it.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 7: You know, I walked I walked by this, but I didn't get it, but I figured that you would probably get it next time you wk.
Speaker 5: Did you really think that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I did think.
Speaker 6: I guess you were right, huh, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 5: It's okay. Just think of all the money I saved all these years by not seeing you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 8: I'm happy for you.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm very proud of you.
Speaker 8: I tell everybody about you.
Speaker 1: Here my dad say he's proud of me while we're at Madison Square Garden takes on a whole different meaning for me. I know he's a guy who tells one lie after another, but in this moment, I like to believe he was being completely truthful.
Speaker 5: There was a movie with Robert de Niro.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he goes into a movie theater cape Fear tape fear.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Do you remember what he did in that movie. There's somebody who's just laughing, right, yeah right. I was going to do that at one of your shows.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 5: I'm a psychotic, I know, but I was going to do that to you. But then I decided, no, I better.
Speaker 1: Not leave it to my dad. One moment he's telling me he's proud of me, the next he's telling me he was going to heckle me cape fear style at one of my shows.
Speaker 8: Good time, great time, Thank you so much for I want to know.
Speaker 7: Let you pay pretty cick hot about it.
Speaker 1: At around ten o'clock after a Ranger's victory, my dad and I made our way out of MSG and the weirdest part was it all started to feel kind of normal. All I ever wanted was a normal childhood, and today, thirty some odd years later, I got a taste of it. I know how lucky I was as a kid, a sports obsessed boy from Long Island, getting to sit inches away from his favorite athletes, even meeting most of them at the most prestigious arena in the country. But looking back, I would trade it all for a few games in the nosebleeds if it meant I could have a regular dad. I went into this podcast searching for who my father was, and to find out whether or not in the twenty four years since i'd seen him he change, Maybe he evolved, reevaluated his past mistakes and charged a new path for himself. Well, I could confidently say he hasn't. He's a bit older, a bit slower, but he's still the same con man, bullshitting his way through life. And it's taken me going through this whole process to realize I'm okay with that. It turns out I'm the one who changed. I've let go of the anger, the hate, the resentment, or at least enough of it for the two of us to catch a game at the garden. If I'm being honest, I have no idea what our relationship is going to look like going forward, but I don't have any regrets about seeing my father again. As the Great Michael Jordan once said, it's better to shoot and miss than to let time run out and wonder what if?
Speaker 8: Well with a great game, man, Yeah, a good game. Yeah, give me a call, don't make me wait. Twenty four years.
Speaker 1: Number One Dad is a production of Radio Point, Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts. Created and hosted by Gary Veter. Executive producers are Gary Veeter, Adam Lowett, Alex Bach, Daniel Powell, Huston Snyder, Kenneth Slotnik, and Brian Stern. Written by Gary Veeter and Adam Lowett, Produced by Bernie Kaminski. Co producer is Taylor Kowalski, Edited and mixed by Ian Sorrentino at Little Bear Audio. Recording Engineer is kat Iosa. Original music by Andrew Gross Special thanks to Charlotte DeAnda. Jonathan karsh is creative consultant Executive producers for Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts are Will Farrell, Hans Sonni and Olivia Aguilar. Sound services were provided by Great City Posts