Speaker 1: What's going on? Rich Demiro here Rich on Tech and you are listening to Rich on Tech Live. Have a great show lined up for you today. We're going to talk about lots of great stuff, including the brand new iOS eleven point three. We're going to talk about a brand new one and ninety nine dollars, GoPro, the new iPad, ways to protect yourself on Facebook, Fitbit reviews are in and they're pretty darn good, and Google Home gets some new features. My name is Rich Demiro. I'm the tech reporter for KTLA five News in Los Angeles. Thanks so much for spending your podcasting time with me. Welcome to all the folks watching live on Facebook. Thanks to you for doing that as well, and thanks for listening. There's so much happening in the tech world. My job is to keep you guys up to date on all the cool things that are happening, and also to kind of know what's happening, because, especially with this Facebook stuff, it's kind of crazy when you think that we're blindsided by all the data that these companies are taking from us or that we're giving to them, And the funny thing is we're not really blindsided. I mean a lot of people are, but the reality is we're the ones giving up the information knowingly. But that's my goal, is to kind of keep you guys up to date on what you're doing, what these companies are asking for, why they're asking for it, and just to be a little bit more knowledgeable about the stuff that's happening when it comes to these companies. So you know, when I saw all this stuff happening with Facebook, it was like, yeah, okay, I kind of knew that stuff before, but now it puts it to the forefront, and I think that's a good thing. But if you've been listening to me for a while, you've kind of heard about all this stuff. I've talked about the data that these companies are collecting. I tell you how to make sure you know what's going on. I've talked about the third party apps before, and it shouldn't come as a big surprise, but it does. And so if you're listening, and you guys are the exceptions because you're listening to this kind of show, so you know a lot more than the average person. But the reality is, these tech companies should not make this stuff so complicated, They shouldn't make it so crazy. That you have to, you know, be doing research on how to best protect your privacy on Facebook. It should just come naturally inside the app. But what I do here is answer your tech questions. So you have a tech question, I will answer it. The phone number is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. We'll talk about all that stuff, but let me just start real quick with iOS eleven point three. This just came out, and I know a lot of us are sort of hesitant to download the latest version of iOS the day it comes out because we've been burned in the past. There's been problems. I personally had my phone disabled for twenty four hours because I was one of the first people to download an old iOS update and there's a problem with it. It was one that they pulled. This was a few years back, but it did happen and it still can happen. So you know, maybe you don't want to download it. I already did, of course, because I'm the tech person, so I always want to download this stuff immediately. And there's one feature that you guys are going to like in this thing, and that is the feature on the battery and so there's a new feature called Batteries and Performance, and you can go into Settings now and battery and you can check it out. And I have it right here and I was looking at it. And so basically, if you go into Settings, you go into your battery, there is a new little oh wow, it's already not working there it is, So there's low power mode, which we've already had before. But then you have this new thing that's called battery Health. And so you probably can't see it if you're watching on the Facebook Live, but it's right there and it says battery Health, and I tap that and it says maximum capacity one hundred percent, which is really cool. That means to my battery is still doing pretty well. So this is a measure of battery capacity relative to when it was new. Lower capacity may result in fewer hours of usage between charges, so that's kind of cool. I like that they're doing that. So they're actually telling you when your battery is starting to go debt. So mine's at one hundred percent, but over time it will drop down. And I don't have an old iPhone here to test that on, but that's really interesting. I've never seen that measurement before then you have this new thing called peak Performance capability, and it says your battery is currently supporting peak performance. Now, if my battery was not supporting peak performance, it would tell me and it would say I can turn it off. So users can now see power management feature that dynamically manages maximum performance to prevent unexpected shutdowns, and they can turn it off. This feature can be found in settings. Battery is available for the iPhone six six plus se Success Success plus, iPhone seven and seven plus, So that's not even on my phone. It's not even an option because they know my phone's pretty new. But that's awesome. So that's There's also a new data and Privacy icon, so whenever Apple is going to ask for access to personal information, they will have this little icon which is that's also neat. There's business Chat, which lets you chat with businesses like home Depot right inside the messages app. And you know, I don't know how much that one's gonna get used, but we'll see. I mean, I can understand. I definitely have you know, if you need to call business or something, you don't want to anymore because you want to do everything online on text. And so that's a new way to do that. And then let's see. iPhone X has new animojis, so now you can do line, bear, dragon, or skull. Okay, I mean I have had the iPhone ten for a while and i've I'll be honest, I've never sent an animoji to anyone, but I'll check this out and just for you guys, so we'll see what these look like. So let's see the new one whereas he Oh, there it is skull. Hello though, haha, ho wow wow. Okay, I'll record this to you guys. Oh hello, I get ten seconds of animoji. That's it.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: I guess that's it, fear. So there's the there's the new one right there. Let's see, and don't mind my other text messages. I was testing some stuff. I'm writing a book on the iPhone and I was testing some some features on it. So that's why you've got a whole bunch of random stuff in there anyway. Phone numbers three five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. While I let you guys call in, I'll take some questions from the chat. Bob says, hey, Bob, I remember Bob. Bob is from my hometown. What do you think when do you think my Google Home Mini will work with my Sonos? I think there is a way to connect them, but it's not pretty. So I know in my sonosapp it has some options for connecting your smart speaker. I know it works with the Alexa really well. I don't know if it works with I don't you know. I don't think it works with Google Home just yet. But they do have a version of the SOS that does and I wonder if you can get or maybe it just has Alexa built in. Uh let's see control. Yeah, yeah, to get started need a voice enabled so no speaker or an Amazon Alexa device. So I don't know. I think that that would be soon because Google wants its assistant to be everywhere, and I think and SOS wants their stuff to be everywhere. I think you let's see could you hack it together? You might be able to hack it together, but it's not pretty now, I don't know. I hope that that happens soon. And uh uh okay, well, let's just take a phone call. Let's take our first phone call. Nine four nine. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, I have a question.
Speaker 1: Hey, Cindy, how you doing good?
Speaker 2: How are you good? Orange County?
Speaker 1: Okay? Great?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Question is how do I do streaming on my phone or on my iPad when I'm traveling? Like I wanted to watch you know, I was free. I don't know it's free. But I have Direct TV and I have a hard time loving in when to watch and I'm.
Speaker 1: On the road. You have which one do you have?
Speaker 2: I have Direct TV?
Speaker 1: You have Direct TV and you're having a hard time logging in from the road. Is it because of the signal or what's the reason?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Uh so it asked me for the password and the ID, but one I completed all that and I can't upload all the episodes that I recorded. Is there a way for me to do that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, you want to watch the stuff that's on your DVR on your phone when you're on the go, got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I let's see does direct TV allow you to do that? I'm trying to remember from when I had Direct TV. I have Direct TV Now, I don't think that direct TV lets you transfer your DVR recordings. I know that Dish Network does because I used to have them and they used to let me do that. I think the app is mostly on demand. I don't think that you can actually transfer your your DVR stuff to the app. So I think the app is mostly on demand. Yeah, that's that's basically what's happening there. I don't think you can get those things transferred over.
Speaker 2: Do you have any recommendation for me if I wanted to watch live TV?
Speaker 1: Actually, you know what, I take that back. Hold on, I take that back. I'm looking at this right now. Hold on, watch recorded direct TV content. If you have a Genie DVR model HR forty four or higher. The DVR app lets you stream or watch DVR. Okay, hold on. You can watch shows a Wi Fi connection after downloading them to your device, So make sure your device your show has finished recording to your DVR, and when you're connected to your home Wi Fi network, open the Direct TV app, press watch phone in the right hand corner, tap watch your DVR. Your playlist loads, and then you press download. So, yes, it does do that. Now, I will tell you I remember this. It doesn't work very well, or it didn't in my experience, and I also think that it didn't download it in a very good quality. But it does work, and you do have it. So you just need to here. I'll put the link to the article right here, and so now you should see the link on the comments and you can click there and you know, that should tell you how to do it. But yeah, you can do it. I kind of forgot, it's been a while. I've had my I got rid of that about a year ago. But you can do it. And it's not pretty. I don't think it's as I don't think it's as good as Dish Network was really easy. I don't think the Direct TV was as good. Maybe it's been improved in the past year. I will say, if you want something that's super simple, Netflix is probably the easiest to do that with because if you pay for you know, Netflix, you can just download shows to your tablet really easily and your phone.
Speaker 2: How do you download for I do have Netflix?
Speaker 1: Okay? If you have Netflix?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just downloaded to some Wi Fi to my to my I pad of my phone exactly.
Speaker 1: So if you're in in your net be at home, obviously, let me get my phone that has my Netflix on it. So if you go on your phone and you go into Netflix, and then if you look at the menu on the left hand side, actually mine just said find something to download right away. So if you go into your menu and then it's just basically they've added downloads and you just say find something to download, download and you just select the show. Most of it is their original programming, so it's a lot of their TV shows and movies and documentaries and you literally just pressed a little download button. It's like a little arrow next to each show that you want to download, and it's it's amazing. It's it's really it's it's kind of like the best case scenario for when you're traveling. It's it's very easy to use, it works really well. Well all right, Cindy, thanks so much for calling in today. I appreciate you. Oh, thank you so much. I really like when you listen. Thank you all right, awesome, So there you have it. Yeah, I forgot about that with the with the DVR when I audition network, it was a really simple process for that to happen, and for some reason when I switched to Direct TV, it just wasn't as good for the download. It took him a while. Greg says, I have Direct TV also and Netflix. Can I record from there like I do on my regular Direct TV programming. So you want to, Greg, do you mean you want to record Netflix? There is an app that does it. And let's see what's it. Uh, what's it called. It's called cloud I think it's called cloud on. Yeah, Uh, nope, it's not cloud On. What's that? What's that app? Oh? Play on? I think it's called play on. Let's see there it is. So this this TV this this app I've tested. It's called play on. And what that does is it? It basically lets you record shows off of Netflix and HBO kind of like to a cloud DVR that you can then download to your phone. Now I can't vouch for the legality of that. I think they operate sort of in a gray area when it comes to all this stuff. So I really don't know how long that's going to be around, but it is legit. I mean, it's kind of like you know, if you download, if you if you Oh, Greg says, I want to download on my TV, not my mobile devices. That I don't really know. But anyway, so, I mean this sort of operates in a gray area, kind of like a DVR for your home. They're saying that, look, we're using the recordings for your personal use. So it's legit and I don't know. I've tested it in the past. It works. It literally opens up a window like if you, let's say you record something from HBO go it literally it opens up a window using your account, records this and then sends it to your phone. So it's kind of weird.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Mark asks a question. By the way, phone line open three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three. Mark asks, what do you think about the Ford Lincoln car using your cell phone instead of a key?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: I think that's really interesting. I mean, I think if it works seamlessly, then it's great. But if you have to open up an app every time or do something weird, then that's not good. But I did rent a car. It's called Maven. It's from GM and uh, let's see if I can bring up the website. This is a car rental company called Maven, and they gave me a car for a weekend to test out. And I will tell you it only used the phone as your key for the car. So when I had this rental car for the weekend, I knew you could unlock it with your phone, So I unlocked the car with my phone and then I got in and the first thing I did was look around for keys, and I couldn't find any. So I'm like, wait a second, how do I start this car? And sure enough, you do it from your phone and or your phone has to be in there. I can't remember if I have to start it from your phone or if your phone was in the if it was just in the car and it would work, but either way, it really threw me for a loop. And I had this car for the entire weekend. I took it to Palm Desert and I was just worried the entire time that my phone. Oh I think you had to start it. Yes, you had to unlock it from your phone, and then you could start it from your car. But there was no key. It all happened with your phone in the car, and it was It was very odd. I mean, it was just strange because I kept worrying about not having a good cell phone signal. Then I was worried about if my phone goes dead, and then I was worried about losing my phone. How would I start this car because there was literally no key. So I think if those things are figured out, it'll be okay. And on linken side, they said that the car you can open the door with a code on the door. We've seen that before, you know, like if you have those cars that have like the little keypad on the door, but they also have once you open the car, there's a touch screen in the center, you know, like your center console screen, and a code keypad shows up there. You dial your code in there, and then it turns on the car to start it. So I guess even if you even if you lose your key or your phone rather, you'll still be able to drive the car. So anyway, I survived the weekend. It worked. Everything worked on the Maven rental and it was it worked. But this is the future. I think that the future definitely involves just your cell phone as your key. And it makes sense because everything else is happening with your cell phone too, I mean our our wallet. I still have to carry around my wallet to use my you know cards, because half the time I use the mobile payment, it doesn't work, and I don't know why. I'm like, what's going on here? Phone line is open three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three And Glenda asks what kind of car the kind of car that I had was a It was a GM. What was that car? It was an suv. It was a small SUV, GMC terrain maybe no GMC. Oh, gosh, I forget what it was. It was an suv. It was there, GMC suv GM, GMC suv. And the one that Ford is talking about, it's the Ford Lincoln Aviator. That's the one that's coming out with no key. Let's see. Anastasia says, I wish I could give up cable. Well you can. I mean, it took me a while to do it, but I did it. I mean I have an antenna, and I have Direct TV now, and I have Netflix, and I have Amazon, so I get pretty much everything, including Channel five, which you have to have an antenna four if you cut the cord because right now they're not on any streaming services. So that happens. Three one zero five nine four three zero zero three is the phone number three one? Oh you are on with Rich? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Hi, this is Aria calling from Tarzana.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 3: I kind of have a complicated question. I'm sort of a teching myself, and I work in the tech industry. Okay, I had a really complicated question that I did not know how to figure out. Okay, so with all the Facebook stuff going on, I downloaded my Facebook data or whatever it's called. I just kind of wanted to see what information they had, and uh, yeah, I was very surprised because you know, I usually didn't care what information I have out there, but some of this information was uh pretty uh it was pretty uh you know, it was pretty eye popping.
Speaker 1: So were you surprised at the most.
Speaker 3: That they had my specific address that I did not even know I had anywhere, Like, like I don't even I still have my address going to my uh my parents' old house, and I've bought an I bought a new condo, and I saw that they had that information.
Speaker 1: That's that's impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I saw this in a particular space, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to movie it was under information to submit it to lead ads and pages platform.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I literally have like scoured the internet trying to see how to get in there and remove because they have like my address, my unit number, and my zip code.
Speaker 1: Interesting, and have you checked out the new because you know, Facebook kind of changed all their privacy settings. Have you checked out the new one on mobile to see because they said you could. They're making it much easier to delete all that stuff.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I deleted my mobile application because of all these reasons. And I only access my Facebook from a web browser because I don't even want that thing on my phone. So I've I just even when I use it on my phone, I go through like Google Chrome or Safari to gain access to it, just because I don't want Messenger application. I don't want any of that stuff on my phone. And I probably suggest your callers out there listeners do that because because I've heard like they have your call records and all that stuff. So but for the life of me, I couldn't find this, uh, this setting of information submitted to lead Ads and Pages platform which supposedly has my specific address, UNI number and zip code on there.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, and that freaked me out the most. I'm looking here, Okay, So I'm looking at my AD that says under settings and then ad preferences. Okay, well it's settings and then ads and so my it has my interests, which are automobiles, travel, shopping, and fashion. Okay, food, I went.
Speaker 3: I went and actually did unchecked all those one by one, okay, each thing, just to get rid of all.
Speaker 1: That too interesting advertisers I've interacted with. Okay, uh, this is really funny. That's advertisers. You visited Chipotle. Okay, that's really funny. Ad settings. Let's go through there and let's see if that's in there and then hide ad topics your information. Okay, let's see if it's in their relationship status, employer, job title, education, interested in. Yeah, I don't see anything that has my address in here. That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I might actually email Facebook just to see how to get and remove that, because you know, if all these people have my specific address, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it says Facebook's new lead ads allow people on mobile to complete forms with just a couple of clicks. Oh okay, so that's what it is. It's like an auto complete, So that's what it's all about. So basically, they're there when you want to. Okay, So I wonder if there was when you were buying your house or something, if you put in your information and they kept it. But it's interesting because it says that, So okay, you've got to figure out how to get your information off of there, and and I know here's a page. Here's a page that I'm looking at. It's called lead ads, and that's what's happening. So basically, I think what's happening with you is that there was definitely some kind of page that you submitted your information to under this new program, and that's what it saved that information. So it might have been sort of a I don't know, like some sort of product or something, but I think that's yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe I even like bought something, right, a link off of Facebook and put my address to have a sense of me right, And Okay, I see the link you just put in the yes, So I'm gonna definitely follow up on that. So I probably have to download the Facebook app just to get you and get in there.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think you can probably do it through Facebook on the desktop. I just think they've made it easier on the mobile site. But I would I would really go through. I know there's a section I would look in even in your payment section and see if there's like an addresses. See I'm looking at my payments and then I see account settings and I see I don't even have an address in there, so that's interesting. So yeah, you have to kind of go. This is the problem with Facebook is that they have so many little things that you have to kind of look through every single one of them to see where your stuff might be. But that's what I would do, is I would go, I think that's what happens. It's some sort of payment, or it's it's linked to a credit card or something that of that aspect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's basically how like iOS autocorrect, like.
Speaker 1: For your email autress exactly.
Speaker 3: If it yep, once you put it in there, well I'll look into that. Thank you so much. And I always say you're the Anthony boardin of text.
Speaker 1: Oh awesome, so I appreciate that. Thank you so much, and have a good day there in Tarzana.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: All right there you go. Wow. Yeah, see Facebook, it's definitely gotten people aware of all this stuff. So yeah. Three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Speaking of face Book, you guys know they revamped their privacy setting. So if you haven't checked what third party apps are connected to your account, I've got the here. I'll just send the link all right here so you can check, I know, Like I mean, So many of you have checked this link because I can tell because the numbers on it are crazy. But let's see where is it here? It is how to clean Okay, the link on my thing is called how to clear out old apps that still have access to your information. So I'll put that link right there and you guys can see that. You guys, oh, can you click it? That's cool. So many of you have have clicked that link, but if you haven't done it, go through. It's pretty eye opening all the different apps that you've connected. Three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Let's talk about GoPro. They had a new camera come out today. It's called the Entry Level Hero. It's just the Hero. It's one hundred ninety nine dollars. This is a very cheap GoPro. Is it going to change anything for this company? Though I love my GoPro. It is. It takes some amazing video. In fact, a lot of the videos you see that I shoot I shoot on my GoPro and it's great. But here's the thing. I'm a video creator, whereas the average person to me is just going to continue to use their smartphone. And I think that's the problem. We're seeing with GoPro is that people just it's easier. Your phone is always charged, it's always on you. It's pretty darn good, and you don't have to carry anything separate. And I think that's what GoPro is running up against, is that people, even for one hundred and ninety nine dollars, which is a really cheap go Pro, it's still like, well, wait, do I really need this? Why do I need a new GoPro. I already have my iPhone or I already have my Android. And I agree. Diego says GoPro should create a phone, and I agree. I think the play here is that a company needs to purchase GoPro and build some of their technology into the smartphone. That's what's I mean. I don't know. I mean because I used to use the LG phones when they had the wide angle lenses on them. If you have one of those, they're amazing. They just open up so much with your shot. You can be really creative with those. But the problem is that's only on LG and it's really neat because they've got two lenses, one that's super wide and one that's regular, and it really lets you become more creative. But This is the go Pro Hero. It's one ninety nine and it's basically it looks like your regular typical GoPro that's high end, except the difference is it does not do four K video, which you really don't need anyway. For the most part. It does HD video. It's got ten megapixel camera, which normally it's twelve. It's got the touch display, it's got the voice, it's got water proofing and video stabilization. It doesn't have the latest processor though, and software that the new GoPro, the Hero six has. That's their high end, really high end go Pro and that one's amazing stabilization. Video stabilization is just phenomenal. And I think the other part about GoPro is that to me, when I'm shooting a video with it, I know that I have to go and I've got to figure out a way to connect a microphone to it. I got to figure out to get to get all the video off the go Pro, I have to connect it to my computer. Even though they have an app, but I don't like that automatic. GoPro would like you to just install their app on your phone and have the go Pro automatically sync the video and bring it to your phone. The problem is that eats up all your phone battery, so I don't want to do that, so I turned that feature off, which means I have to take the little the little card out of the go Pro, pop it in my computer, copy everything over, and then put it back. That's a process. And if you're trying to you know, in this day and age, you snap a picture on your phone, you share it on Facebook or Instagram in about two seconds flat, or you take a video on your phone and it's instantly shared somewhere. If you're using GoPro, it takes a little bit longer. And I know they're advertising their app, the quick App, but it still takes a couple of steps to do that and to share that video. Christy says, I think the GoPros more geared toward expreen extreme sports where you can't carry your phone. My dad used it while surfing, and I agree it is that's that's where they got their start, was the extreme sports market. But the problem is you can't build an entire company that's you know, worth billions of dollars on one tiny mart section of the of the population, and realistically, anyone who has a kid used to have a camquarder. That was a huge market for so long. But nowadays we don't have camp quarters. We have our phones. And so the tough part for GoPro is there in this really tough position of convincing people why they need to have a separate device other than their smartphone. And I agree that's a really really tough argument, except in very specific use cases. And so there you have it. Let's see. Peter says, I'd get one if it were if I were doing professional It's worth it absolutely if you're doing anything profess any kind of stuff, go Pro would be a good choice. And Peter also says would go Pro be a good phone? I think so I would love to have a go Pro lens and stabilization in my smartphone. That'd be so cool. Three one zero five nine four three zero zero three is the phone number. Three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three. You're listening to Rich on tech Live. I'm Rich DeMuro and I'm answering your tech questions Live. Diana says, have you seen the new adapter for iPhones to download and save your pictures to a flash drive? What do you think about it? I think it's really cool, it's funny. There must be an advertisement. Someone must have promoted this somewhere, because I've I was in Walmart and I heard a guy asking about this, and I get questions about this all the time, So they must be advertising them somewhere. But yes, the one that I like is a little bit, a little bit pricier, but I think it's going to be better quality in the end. There's so many of these things. Oh interesting, Okay, there is. When I just googled that, I said, I expand special TV offer. Okay, so they must be advertising them on TV. So here's the one that I like. It's from sand Disk, and it's basically a little flash drive that you plug into your iPhone in the bottom. It's a you plug it in the lightning port of your iPhone. You can transfer all your pictures to this device, and then you can pop it in your computer and transfer your pictures to your computer if you want, or you can just leave them on your on your little flash drive. And so I like that. The only thing is I have to tell you, if you're going to get one of these things and you download your pictures to it, you can't just rely on that to save your pictures, you have to put them somewhere else, whether that's in the cloud or on your computer. You always want your pictures in at least two places, so if one place goes down, you still have them in the other place. Nine oh nine, you're on with Rich Sam. What's up? Sam is a regular on the show. Thanks, thanks for calling in. What's up? What's that? Oh? The rewards program? Oh? Hold on, hold on, Sam, hold on, hold on, hold on. I'm I'm being told that people can't hear you. There we go. Okay, Sam from Pom is on. Yes, everyone can hear you now, I had you turn down. But Sam is a regular caller to the show. You guys know that. But he's talking about Verizon UP and so tell me this is the up rewards.
Speaker 5: Program, right, this is the Upper Rewards program.
Speaker 1: I said no to that back when I as much as they tried to get me to sign up for it, I was like, I don't know if all my data is is worth the money, But tell me what's going on.
Speaker 5: Well, I have the same thing. When they first started this, I thought, no, I'm given them no information either, But then they sweetened up the deal, so I said, all right, what the heck, well, for every three hundred dollars you spend, you get this token, and you know they give it, and there are really neat things you can get, like Laker tickets and Kings tickets and concert tickets, and all you need is one ship to do it. But I kept trying and trying to get one of these things and I couldn't get one. And so then they changed the system and they went to this deal where it was like a countdown. Anyway, it would take me an hour to tell you the whole story. But the bottom line is I called them up. They lied to me. I didn't know what they were doing. Yeah, they flat out told me the system was down and some other stuff. And when I found out what was really going on, I, uh, well, they gave me a three months worth of service and they gave me Laker tickets.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, last night I went.
Speaker 5: Last night, I went to the Laker game and they won. It was great.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. How are the seats?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Oh I was right in that first set of risers on the south side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's amazing. So see, Sam, this is this is what we talk about on the show all the time. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Okay. I think that Verizon has some amazing customer service, and I I think I told this story on the podcast, but I had. When I signed up with Verizon, they charged me thirty dollars for each line, right, like an activation.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I never pay I never.
Speaker 1: Pay that, okay, and nor should you, because each time I signed up. The first time I signed up, they said, oh, I said, hey, can you wave that? And they said, not in store, but if you call our customer service, they'll wave it. I was like, okay, the guy's just totally passing passing the buck, right. So the next time I go in to activate another line, the guy says the same thing, and I was like, interesting, So if two different people are saying the same thing, clearly that works. I called Verizon and I said, hey, the person in store said you can you can credit me for that fee and they said, hold on, sure enough, we can. And I said, now, wait a second. I activated a line a couple of months ago, about three months ago, can you waive that fee? And I think it was actually thirty five dollars, I can't remember, but sure enough, they gave me a credit for both fees. So I came out ahead. I think it was sixty or seventy dollars, and I felt so good that night, it might have been a Friday. I was ready to go out.
Speaker 5: Well, the name of the game is you'd be nice.
Speaker 1: Yes, square, don't get loud.
Speaker 5: They cannot They're not allowed to hang up on you. And no matter what they say, I always tell them sorry, that doesn't work for me, or it's unacceptable. And I always do it from a phone. I don't do it for my cell phone. I do it from a home phone that's well charged because it can take an hour.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, those people can take you one of they'll talk to you for a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But the magic words when you hear them say what do you want?
Speaker 1: That's amazing. So you have to come up. You have to have a plan in mind of what's and I and I agree with that what's gonna make you happy in this situation. For me, when I called in, I didn't really care if I was gonna get the seventy bucks or thirty five whatever it was. I just I just wanted to try. But I agree, you need to know what's gonna make you happy in that circumstance when you call to complain, and don't be mean. I have never been mean to these people because, uh, number number one, they take notes. Number two, don't be a jerk. Number three. You can always just call someone else and get a totally different answer half the time. So if you're frustrated, just I've done that.
Speaker 5: I've done that and it works.
Speaker 1: So this Verizon program, by the way I'm looking at it, Verizon up, it is the most complicated thing I've ever I'm looking at the facts on the website and it is so complicated. There's credits, then there's claiming rewards, there's super tickets, then there's device dollars. This is way too complicated. But but three hundred dollars, So what how many how many credits? Like whatever? Like, how many three hundred dollars would you have to spend to get Laker tickets normally?
Speaker 5: No, you just need one. You just need one you know credit? What So one credit gets.
Speaker 1: Like bucks a month, so in two months I'd have a Laker ticket.
Speaker 5: Well, it's getting the ticket, like I just I just tried to get them regularly where there's the countdown and I'm literally sitting at my phone waiting for the countdown to go down to zero so I can get it. And I did it twice, and I did the thing. The button never even went black, it just stayed.
Speaker 1: So there's so reason. There's an element of like, you might not. You can't just like go on and redeem for them at that.
Speaker 5: No, Okay, you're not guaranteed anything because there's a zillion people trying to get these tickets.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're lucky, you're lucky got it.
Speaker 5: But I did get I did get four months of Apple Radio for free with one of my things.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Well that wasn't bad. I think you need your own show and just tell people how to do all this stuff. Hey, you know, I like free Hey, we all do. I mean, it's it's you know, And here's the thing. We're spending so much money on these things Apple Music. It doesn't you know if you got how'd you get four months free on that?
Speaker 5: That was just it was one of the things that was available at the time.
Speaker 1: That's okay, you got interesting. I think they gave three months when I first joined a long time ago. Wow. Well, see this is this is a lesson learned from from Sam and Pomona, is you gotta, you gotta, you gotta talk to these companies and be nice and you will eventually talk their ear off or they just want to get off the phone with you and finally give you what you want.
Speaker 5: Hey, Rich, I gotta go. Doctor's off.
Speaker 1: Okay, have a good day. Okay, hope everything's well? All right? There you go, Sam is uh is heading into the uh the doctor's office. I always wonder where you people watched this show, but now we know. Three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Uh oh, my phone, Patty says, my phone is out of juice. I could sure use a booster. Well, you know, that's I think an entry for the contest. If you watch on Facebook. There's a contest that I do where I give away something, usually during the live podcast. So when you're listening on the podcast in the car or whatever. I don't really do that because it's kind of tough for me to I don't. I haven't figured out a way to do that easily. But if you're listening, if you're watching on Facebook, I can do that. So Christy says, she's watching while she pays the bills. Ah, I usually pay the bills on Friday, because that's payday on Thursday. I'm out of money, so Friday is the day that I pay those or maybe you're getting a head start. Maybe you know you're getting paid tomorrow, so you're already writing those checks. All right, let's see what else. Oh, speaking of that, this is interesting, Kelly asks, can you hyperlink to that Facebook app info I did? It's in there. It's in the comments. This should be in there. You might have to scroll up a bit. But this is an app that I've been trying and oh, Test says she's listening for the first time. Thanks for listening, Tests with a smiley face, so that means you might be enjoying it. This is a really interesting app that I've been testing out and it's called it just came out this week. It's called Debits dB X. And so if you've listened to me at all, you know that I'm a big fan of cash is King. I'm a Dave Ramsey follower. I really like cash. I really like my debit card, and I don't like my credit card as much. In fact, I don't even carry a credit card in my wallet because I can't be trusted. My wife yesterday we were out shopping and every story went into I couldn't buy anything because I didn't have a card. I'd only had my debit card. And she's like, seriously, how come you don't carry your credit card. I'm like, because I can't be trusted. I will just spend it and spend and spend, so I don't even carry it anyway. But I do like the idea of this app because the problem with the debit card is there's no buffer between you and your money once you spend it or you use it. And I really don't like using it online because if someone gets your number, that's it. They've got all your your money, and then you have to fight back for your own money. And so this is why I kind of like this this this app, it's called Debits, and what it does is it combines your credit card. It basically turns your debit card or your credit card into a debit card. So you sign up with this app, you link your credit card, you link your checking account, and then every charge you make on your credit card they paid off the next morning. And you can set all kinds of rules, so you can say I only want things paid off under fifty dollars I only want if I have a certain amount of money in my checking account. Maybe if I have, you know, three hundred dollars or less, stop making payments because I need my money. But I really think it's interesting. I signed up. I signed up one of my credit cards and I put one of my bank accounts in there. And you have to have a lot of faith in these companies, a lot of trust because you're handing over your credentials. So that's that's something that you kind of is given here. But it's really slick. I've got to say, I have not used it to make up an automatic payment. I haven't gotten there yet, not that sort of invested in the idea yet, but I wanted to see how it works. And what it does is it shows you every transaction you make on your credit card and the next day, let's say you made a five dollars transaction at McDonald's, it would pay that off using your checking account the next morning, and it just takes some money out of your checking and it pays off the card for that transaction and then it marks it as paid and you can see a list of all your transactions. The other thing is that it's free, so they don't charge anything. There's another app that does this called Debatize, and they charge you I think it's five dollars a month for the same or similar service, and they only pay off your card once a month. Maybe it's free if it's once a month, but it's five dollars if you want it more than that. But this is totally free. And the guy who started it I trust because he tried. He started the All Point ATM network. So if you've seen ATMs out in like cvs and write aid and stuff, a lot of them are from all Point, which is a big ATM network. He wanted to start that to make ATM fees less and he did a good job with that because they're free if I use All Point with my bank anyway. Debix is the name of it. Deb X. It's a little complicated, but it's fascinating. I mean, you get the benefits, you get all the points and stuff for your credit card, but you're still using your debit card. So check it out there, you have it all right? Nine oh nine, you're on with Rich. Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 4: My name's Carol from San Demus.
Speaker 1: Hey Carol, how you doing? Oh? I'm fantastic. How's the show going so far? Today?
Speaker 4: Looks pretty good?
Speaker 1: Okay, good. You know, I changed I changed up the lighting a little bit this week, so it's a little bit more blue.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, my kids come in my office every time I'm not in here, and they literally change every setting every single week on my podcast, whatever my equipment is, and so I spend the first hour before my show literally putting everything back together. So yeah, but they're awesome anyway. So what's on your mind, Carol?
Speaker 4: Okay, I have some outdoor cameras, wireless cameras, and my WiFi does not rea. It reaches one of them out there, but it won't reach one that's about eight feet from that. And I have a Wi Fi extender, but it just doesn't seem to be doing it. And I'm wondering what's the best way to what's the best device to use to extend my WiFi?
Speaker 1: Okay, uh, yeah, that's a that's a tough one because I've mentioned this before, but the problem with all these new smart home gadgets that we have, like the ring doorbells of the world, the Nest cameras, all these little video cameras, you really need strong WiFi for them to work, and when you're out of the house, especially if they're mounted outside, that can be a problem. And I noticed this myself when I first installed a ring doorbell. I didn't think I had any problems with my WiFi until I installed that thing, and I was like, oh, this is really spotty, and so I had an extender I use. Basically, I think, how big is your house, what's the square footage and so, and where's your router? Right now?
Speaker 4: My router is up on the second floor, the motem and the router, and I would move it downstairs to be closer to everything because we don't even use it upstairs anymore as far as computer or anything. But I don't have any any extra phone jacks for the modem.
Speaker 1: And you're using the modem that so you're using the modem that came with your service. Basically, who's your service.
Speaker 4: With with Spectrum?
Speaker 1: Okay? So you are using their Wi Fi router like it? The Wi Fi signal comes from their router basically from inside of it.
Speaker 4: I have you have it? I think I have a wireless router separate.
Speaker 1: Oh you do? Okay? Interesting, and did you bring that or did they set that.
Speaker 4: Up, No, I did, oh you did?
Speaker 1: Okay? And how long ago did you get this thing?
Speaker 4: A long time ago?
Speaker 1: A long time ago. Okay. So there's two options. So, because you're telling me that you don't have if you're using a separate Wi Fi router, you can, depending on how handy you are, you can run a cable from your modem to the Wi Fi router. Put that on your first floor, near closer to where your your devices are, and that would that would probably solve the problem perhaps, But the problem with that solution is that you're gonna do I mean, I don't know how you would run that. You'd either have to drill a hole in your floor to bring the wire through to the next floor. I don't know how you'd run that cable. It depends on the setup of your house, right, and that's kind of a pain. The second thing you can do is you can get a booster. But the problem is I really don't recommend those anymore because they're more trouble than they're worth and they don't really work that well. So yeah, and we've got some people commenting that you can have a tech come from Spectrum and run a wire from the modem to downstairs. I would say that's your first option. I would call Spectrum that way. You know, because your house twenty one hundred square feet, A typical modem should be or a WiFi router should be able to cover that, especially if you're saying most of your stuff is on the first floor. I would get this router, this Wi Fi router, closer to where your devices are, and that way you can have a better chance of the signal making it to the devices. And I would call up Spectrum and just say, hey, I'm not my internet is not working right and I need someone to come out here and fix it. And they might say, you know, I mean, how long have you had this service with them?
Speaker 4: Oh? A long time? Well, ever since before they switched from Time Warner.
Speaker 1: I mean, are we talking a long a year? Two years?
Speaker 4: Oh no, trot, We're talking probably since Time Warner it first came.
Speaker 1: So my point is you've been paying a lot into the system and nobody has visited your house in many years.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, I've had them come out for like when my cable's gone out.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that's but my point is I think that they owe you a new outlet where you need it, right, to make your stuff. And you say, look, I've I've been a customer for five years, and I've been a customer for five years. I you know, you guys have never done anything. You installed the modem and that was it. And now my my devices are not working. So I'm at this point where I'm either gonna have to cancel my WiFi, which I don't want to do because I need it, or I'm gonna switch to a new provider that's gonna give me better service with my because I'm paying for something that's not working anymore. Right, And you kind of have to tell them that, And you're not lying. These are not lies that you're telling them. You're just setting up the picture that you're in. The situation that you're in is that you're paying forty five to eighty bucks a month. I don't know what it is for this service that is not working for the products that you have, and the router that they have should cover a house of your size, so you need them to come to your house and put a secondary They will run the line. It really is not that big of a deal now, I'm saying for you, it is. You don't want to sit there and do it unless you're great with a drill. I don't know, but I think that Okay, the person who's doing this every day for Spectrum, believe me, it's not a big deal for them to drill a hole in your wall, run the cable, put a new outlet, and be done and you'll be very happy when they do that.
Speaker 4: Okay, that sounds good.
Speaker 1: I think that's the first place to start. Now, if that doesn't work, if they want to fight you, or if they want to charge you a ninety nine dollars fee or something like that, I really think that you need to keep calling them back and challenging them on this because you have paid into the system for so long right now that they are just making money off of you without having to really do much, and you're paying, you know whatever you're paying, but you're only getting you know, ten percent of the service out of it because your devices are not working properly.
Speaker 6: So I think you explain that to them, okay, And are you talking about having them move the modem or the wireless router that I have, Well.
Speaker 1: It sort of depends. I mean, I would just have them move the whole modem because they may not move the router if it's your router, they may not move that. They may say, well that's yours. We can't really run a line for you, but they can move the outlet to where it is in a better position in your home. And I think that's what you need to ask them to do. That's what I would do and.
Speaker 4: Believe so the motive the motives would go plugs into a phone jack though, which I don't have downstairs. So would I have to get somebody else to install a phone jack first?
Speaker 1: No, that's what you want them to install. Now you're saying, Okay, you're I think we're confusing two things because if it's Spectrum, it doesn't go through a phone jack because it goes through a cable outlet.
Speaker 4: Right, Oh, I think.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's a cable because if it's Spectrum, they're not doing phone jacks. They're doing they're doing a cable like a you know, co X cable line, so they can they can easily run one of those. Now that they if you have one of those downstairs behind your TV, they can split that off. There's a million things they could do. The thing is, uh, Carol, you just have to call them up and kind of get them to do this. And you know, like I said, I've had these guys out at my house, these installers from Direct TV, from Dish Network, they do it every day, day and day out. To just move an outlet to a different room for a happy customer is really not that big of a deal. So that's that's what I recommend. And if you don't if that, if that doesn't work, call me back and I'll explain some of the systems you can install to make it better. But those are going to cost you three to five hundred dollars. So I think that the first thing you want to do is really just go with the the go with the company and see what they can do for you. Great question, and it's a common occurrence. Let's see Tom. Tom says, I contacted Spectrum after a calling. I was sent to the retention department. They cut my bill thirty seven dollars a month and upgraded me to one hundred megabits. That's awesome. Sandy says, this was so informative. I needed this information. Thank you. Trish says, they'll also upgrade the router. That's true if you haven't gotten a new router from them, And that's Another thing you can say to them is, look, I've had this router now for ten years. Come on, you guys, are are this is? This is crazy? Hey, Rich, I'm a customer service rep over the phone, and I really like your show. Just the way you start with your opening, it's awesome. I feel like it goes downhill after the opening, but thank you, Sergio Diego says co X and Brenda says, call the company first. Yeah, don't don't spend money that you don't have to spend when the company is providing you a service that's not really working. And I love Spectrum. I have them and they're fantastic. I upgraded to them, I think it was a year ago, and my service is awesome. I've got one hundred down. I could get three hundred where I am. But it's really nice. And call them. They are they are willing to work with you because, believe me, these things when they've got a customer paying for five years, the customer there's a term for it. There's like acquisition cost. Your acquisition cost is nearly zero after five years. To get a new customer on board, it probably cost them two three five hundred bucks. And that customer may leave after a little bit. You've been there for a long time. Get them to do something for you, all right, I've got time for one more call three one zero five nine four three zero zero three, or I'll just take the last five minutes here to to answer your questions over the comments. So go ahead and comment with your question in there and I can answer those. Let's just maybe do that because I only have five minutes left in the show. Jerry says, just updated to the new iOS while listening to your broadcast. You are a brave man, Jerry. But it's seems to be working right. Sharon says, Spectrum is trying harder to satisfy us. A rep told me people are going to Netflix et cetera. Absolutely, They're They're really getting hit hard on their on their TV side of the business. So the cable side of the business. Believe me, that's a growing portion of their business. People need Internet and they do want to help you. Uh. Greg says, uh, someone wants me to talk about Steve wants me to talk about bitcoin. Greg says, hey, Rich Greg from the av what's up? Just want to know I resolve the one? Oh okay, he had to do a reset it's gone. Okay. Greg was having a persistent notification on his phone with his iPhone. We couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. He did a reset, and it's gone. Bitcoins. Steve asks about I think that bitcoin, maybe not bitcoin, but blockchain is definitely has a big future in our payment systems. So I am a big believer in blockchain and everything that they're doing. Bitcoin. Who knows what the future is for that, But I do have twenty five dollars worth, so I'm a believer in that. I'm not a huge investor in bitcoin, but I'm definitely watching it very thoroughly. I wish I would have bought it when my friend told me about it many many years ago. Let me tell you when let's see Mike bitcoin. I was looking at my email the other day for the first time a friend mentioned bitcoin to me, and here's what he said. Oh my gosh, this is so long ago. I didn't want to look at it to twenty thirteen. Yeah, September twenty thirteen, So I vote have purchased. He says, I would highly suggest you keep a close eye on bitcoin because it's going to be the next big story in tech. So let's see what the bitcoin price was in September twenty thirteen. Okay, so bitcoin price in September twenty thirteen, Oh my gosh was I don't even want to see this. Oh gosh, thirteen dollars and now it's up to eleven thousand. So if I would have bought bitcoin at thirteen dollars when he told me to fifteen dollars, oh my gosh, that's unbelievable. Eleven dollars and now it's up to eleven thousand, I yeah, I would have. Oh, it's up to eight thousand. Today it's gone down. Okay, so I don't feel so bad. It's just let's see eight thousand divided by thirteen. Oh, it was just six hundred and fifteen times more valuable today than it was when he told me about it. Whoops. Sometimes I missed the boat on these things. Guys. You know, just because you're the tech guy doesn't mean that you have all the knowledge. But yeah, I should have probably bought some. I did a story on a bitcoin ATM They wanted me to buy some that day, and I didn't. All Right, what did I pay for my bitcoin? I don't know. I just paid twenty five bucks, so I got whatever twenty five dollars worth, but I think it was at eighteen thousand that day. I don't know, whatever it was. It was a little bit crazy. Let's see, how come Apple four K TV only works with Belkan HDMI cables for four K sixty hurts, not wire Logic four K high speed cables. That's a good question. I don't know. I don't it works with mine. I don't have a Belkan cable and it works with mine. So I know that Apple TV just came out with an update today, so JM. I would definitely do that update and see if it works, because I know there was something funky about the way it did the four K auto switching. So check out the update today and see if that helps. And I think it may because Apple TV four K is really cool, but they definitely had some growing pains with the whole four K resolution because, as I understand from what Apple told me, they wanted the system to be the same four K refrsh rate at all times, which presents some challenges for different apps that sort of present things in different ways. So see that today. Paula says, I get full screen ads sometimes after I hang up a call on my Samsung S eight. My service is with AT and T. What can I do, Paula, You've got some sort of rogue app on your essay that you do not need. So what you need to do is go through every single app in your apps. Go to your settings and go to your apps, and I want you to look through every single app that is installed on there and uninstall any app that you do not recognize or you do not need. It's some kind of game that you've installed, it's some sort of dialer that you installed, it's some sort of third party app. You need to go through every single app with a fine tooth comb, get rid of any app that you don't recognize, and that's the one that's serving up this adwear. All right, that's going to do it for the show today. Thanks so much for listening. Is there anything I didn't mention that I wanted to I was going to talk about Google Home it works with Bluetooth devices now, and I was also going to talk about the new iPad, But you can listen to my podcast. I have a separate one on that and fipbit Versa, which the reviews are in on that, and it's pretty good. I've got my pre order in for a Fitbit Versa, which is coming on April eighteenth, So I don't know. I love my Apple Watch, but I kinda I like the idea of the four day battery life on the Fitbit, so we'll see, all right, Thanks so much for listening. Links to everything I mentioned here look in the comments on the Facebook Live Otherwise you can look for the show notes on my website. Just go to Rich on tech dot tv slash podcast and you can find them there. Otherwise, I do appreciate you guys listening to this podcast watching it on Facebook Live. You'd be surprised how many people are listening on a daily basis. I do the daily podcast every day. It's about five minutes, and then on the weekends, well, I tape this on Thursdays usually, but then I put this out on Saturday for the weekend so you can listen. It's kind of an hour long podcast, So thanks so much for listening to that. For you guys on Facebook Live. I'll do the giveaway in just a moment, so stay tuned for that after the show Rich on tech dot TV. Please, if you like this podcast, if you like this live show on Facebook, Do me a favor and share it with your friends. Press that little share button, press that like button. It really does help me on Facebook to get seen by more people when you do that, And of course I just appreciate the love and that's gonna do it. Tell your friends about it, or review it in the Apple podcast app if you have it. Most of you are listening that way to the podcast through the Apple app. Some of you are listening other ways. It's on Alexa as well, so you can ask for me to be in your flash briefing. So many different ways to listen to Rich on tech. I'm Rich DeMuro. Appreciate you guys tuning in. I will talk to you real soon. Bye bye