Speaker 1: Hey, it's me Michael Costa. The Daily Show is on break for the holidays, but in the meantime we put together some special highlights just for you. We'll be back in the new year on January seventh with all new episodes.
Speaker 2: Enjoy It's a world.
Speaker 3: I'm Josh Johnson, and Donald Trump just released his new Never Surrender high tops. There's only one thousand being released at four hundred bucks a pop. They will probably not put a dint in the judgment against him. So I hit the streets today and talk some real sneaker heads to see if these are cops or drop they know? Now, what do you think.
Speaker 2: Of these sneakers?
Speaker 4: You know, it's very patriotic.
Speaker 5: I think that there's no rules in fashion and you got were whatever you want.
Speaker 4: But me, Percy Alan not would you cop these like you?
Speaker 5: You wouldn't know hard tasks.
Speaker 3: It looks very two thousand and nine dated.
Speaker 6: Actually, they look like they don't bend.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on this shoot?
Speaker 7: Trying to be sheep?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 8: Well, also very nationalistic?
Speaker 5: Got you now?
Speaker 3: Would you wear the shoe though? Okay? So you think if you wore these two school you might get like roasted up yeah, because like, what great are you in seventh You're in seventh grade?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How tall are you?
Speaker 4: Six to one?
Speaker 7: I played basketball?
Speaker 3: You should do you think there's a sort of like mic situation where as soon as you put them on, you get indicted, probably if it's.
Speaker 2: Not indicted by the judicial system, if be indicted by society.
Speaker 3: Do you think they go up even higher or they go down if he goes to jail. I think if you go together, probably going like twenty k sign cli.
Speaker 9: Really people are nothing like that.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing these right, I get robbed, they get taken.
Speaker 9: Off of me.
Speaker 5: You're not gonna get roud for those brothers.
Speaker 3: Oh that's good to do. So this is really like robbery repellent right here.
Speaker 1: So people might try to give you tips on fashion, like why are you wearing them?
Speaker 3: Okay, shoes are very symbolic of who you are as a person, So if you have shoes, might be a person.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, those are pretty bad.
Speaker 3: But what about your shoeing dog?
Speaker 4: What those are some dirty ass shoes?
Speaker 7: Bro?
Speaker 6: Those thing guys who how best to run a marathon?
Speaker 2: It's really about It's really about trauma.
Speaker 7: Is it.
Speaker 6: You lucky bigger than me? Man, super hurricanes, drought, wildfires, turning New York City the color of sunny d Across America, climate change is wreaking havoc and driving people from their homes, and experts say this is only the beginning.
Speaker 5: This is in the order of millions of people. So where might they go?
Speaker 7: Climate researchers city answer is in and up, think, deLuce, Wow.
Speaker 1: So millions of coastal elites like myself will one day be flocking to Minnesota. Is this the city of the future. Let's find out.
Speaker 9: If I move, I can't feel my legs.
Speaker 8: I'm not moving.
Speaker 2: Why was there not a jacket in my suitcase?
Speaker 1: To learn more, I met with Chief Sustainability Officer Mindy Grandly, So tell me about the Luth Well.
Speaker 9: Duluth is a great city. We're on a great lake. We have lots of fresh water.
Speaker 2: If we finish this inside, because if I don't go inside in seven.
Speaker 9: Seconds, my heart's gonna explode.
Speaker 10: Of course, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So what we're saying about du Luth Duluth to what we're saying about.
Speaker 9: Duluth Well, experts have called Daluth a climate refuge because we're a place that's fairly safe from the worst effects of climate change.
Speaker 2: You're talking about in fifty years when this climate change thing like really gets bad.
Speaker 9: Right, A few people are moving here now from California because of climate change.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me people are moving here from the good States.
Speaker 1: Yes, Mindy claims Duluth has big advantages like ten percent of the world's drinking water in Lake Superior and room for up to ten thousand new residents because it's basically that barren ice planet from star warks.
Speaker 9: Some people can handle eighty inches of snow every winter.
Speaker 2: And eighty inches of snow over eighty Jesus.
Speaker 8: Christ, do you think those big un climate change summits would be more effective if people knew that the alternative was having to move to Duluth.
Speaker 9: Well, there's really no bad weather. There's just bad clothing, bad clothing, so.
Speaker 2: People are still wearing Balenciaga here.
Speaker 3: We don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: Despite this vast cultural divide, coastal refugees are getting ready to flood to Loof.
Speaker 2: But are the locals prepared.
Speaker 1: There's a migrant caravan of California's coming. They're bringing their spin instructors, they're kombucha makers, they're oat milk.
Speaker 5: Are you ready for that?
Speaker 6: I don't mind having a few more friends.
Speaker 2: Any advice for refugees that are coming here.
Speaker 1: Oh, sure, you can need a dress really warm.
Speaker 2: They can't dress warmly because then they would lose their job as Instagram models.
Speaker 4: Well, it's going to be hard to be a bikini model here.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're laughing, but this is important to my culture, your culture.
Speaker 1: It felt like you were speaking two different languages.
Speaker 2: But how deep was this divide? Polo or rugby?
Speaker 5: Ooh, rugby for sure? Why because I like sports that?
Speaker 7: No, No, I.
Speaker 2: Don't mean the sport. I'm talking about names for children or rugby neither. Are there any members only exclusive clubs here?
Speaker 9: Well, there's Sam's Club on Costco.
Speaker 4: So I can do cricket and a bathing there.
Speaker 1: I even got some words of wisdom from former Duluth mayor Emily Larson, seen here in a press conference last July.
Speaker 2: Dluth is gritty and resilient and real.
Speaker 7: We work hard, we really care about each other.
Speaker 2: That's going to be tough for some of these people in LA because they don't work hard and they don't care about each other.
Speaker 1: But the first wave of Californians are already here, so how are they surviving?
Speaker 7: It does feel like another planet sometimes.
Speaker 1: Meet ex Californian an environmental list Jamie Alexander.
Speaker 7: We packed into a camper van thinking we were going to drive out here and spend the summer, and then wildfire season of twenty twenty happened, and I decided to move my family here because of climate change.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest. Okay, there's no de Lutherans here is the de Lutherans, the Lutherans, the Luthians, the Luthians. All right, let's be honest. There's no Di Luthians here.
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 2: That sucks, right, it doesn't.
Speaker 9: I love it here.
Speaker 5: I want to live in a place where it feels real.
Speaker 2: People say that the Lutherans do. Do Lags are more real people? A New Yorker spits in my face. It feels pretty real.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I think what is meant by that is here you're connected to your neighbors. Everywhere is going to experience climate impacts. If a climate related you know, weather event happened, would you be able to lean on your neighbors.
Speaker 2: I've lived in New York for seven years. I don't know my neighbor and I don't want to know my neighbor questions. Do you have a winter jacket for me?
Speaker 9: I didn't.
Speaker 2: This is not cutting it, and my BMI is like under two percent. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Jamie told me to really understand du Luthians, I would have to walk a mile in their shoes, even if mine were nicer.
Speaker 2: These boots are the Louis. I'm not going to get snow on them.
Speaker 7: The way he probably will.
Speaker 2: Ready to do it, I'm ready to let's go. Shoot, They're kind of hard to walk in at first.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding, it goes my suit.
Speaker 2: Hey, those look like huge almost rats.
Speaker 9: They're dear.
Speaker 2: Do they ever take the pizza out of your hand when you're on the subway or anything? No, No, you're lucky.
Speaker 1: Duluth was starting to grow on me, but there was just one problem.
Speaker 7: The idea that there's like a climate proof city is A it's not true at all, and B it's danger because every place on Earth is already experiencing climate impacts, and climate change is happening now and people are making huge life changing decisions.
Speaker 2: Because of it. Then what the fuck am I doing here? I left my wife and family for a week to come here, and it's not even a real climate refuge.
Speaker 1: No, damn, I knew the only thing that could cheer up this coastal elite was hitting the SPA. But unfortunately for me in Duluth, even the SPA is terrifying.
Speaker 5: We had to remove thirty inches of ice so that you can go jump in and.
Speaker 10: Oh my god, oh god, and your body.
Speaker 7: Is gonna tell you you're gonna die.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But when you're retraining some of those neuropathways in our head to say, hey, I can handle hard stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can handle this, growing it. Maybe once I get used to it, the cold isn't so big.
Speaker 4: Who I'm prosing to the thick.
Speaker 1: Well, at least I can go back to New York. God, God, damn it, that's my car.
Speaker 5: In New York. You've got to have a side hustle, whether it's being a naked cowgirl or being an older naked cowgirl. But I recently learned about a new hustle that's actually helping the planet.
Speaker 4: The way to make some easy money get some video of a trucker idling in New York City. There are heavy fines for dirtying the air and so called idle Warriors get a share.
Speaker 5: To learn more. I met up with the Idle Warriors, a group of citizen vigilantes who are cashing in on this green gig. They say idle hands or the Devil's workshop. What made you decide to use your idle hands to stop idling?
Speaker 10: Over a seven million people die every year on this planet due to air.
Speaker 2: Pollution, and we could change this if we just turned our engines off.
Speaker 8: The anti idling law was created nineteen seventy one by City of New York, but it wasn't being.
Speaker 5: Enforced at all, So it's kind of like when white people do drugs.
Speaker 8: Per I thought that if citizens got an opportunity, they would do it.
Speaker 5: As an environmental attorney, Samara Swanston wrote a law allowing any Nark Yorker to report an idling vehicle and collect twenty five percent of the city fine. That's almost eighty eight bucks a pop. But what if I don't want a Karen on my Amazon driver?
Speaker 4: The companies are the ones who pay the fine. The drivers themselves do not pay the fine. It's the owner of the commercial vehicle, So.
Speaker 5: You're actually snitching on the companies.
Speaker 4: What we're actually doing is holding big companies like Amazon, Khan, Ed and Verizon accountable for polluting our air and literally killing people in New York.
Speaker 5: Yes, so cool.
Speaker 2: See an elementary school.
Speaker 5: I was always known as a cattle tail, But now I'm saying that that was just good training to be an environmentalist. Okay, so we're taking down the man, not my actual mailman. Clearly this isn't about the money, but we're all friends here. How much how.
Speaker 2: Much do you make?
Speaker 3: I know gentlemen that have made over one hundred.
Speaker 5: Thousand dollars a year. What wow. I'm not a mathematician, but if I take the sum of my cre card debt added to the cost of being a woman in America and multiplay by eighty four percent of what a man makes, and subtract the earnings from reporting on a dozen idling vehicles, I'm rich. How many people know about this? Am I getting in on the ground floor? Or is this like bitcoin where I'm going to have to cut my losses by selling my beanie babies.
Speaker 4: It's only about maybe twenty to thirty of us who are submitting the bulk of the complaints.
Speaker 5: I think we should just keep it between us. It's like an orgy. You don't want to advertise it to everybody. You want a small, dedicated group and hopefully Jake Jillenhall with.
Speaker 10: An orgy would think the more than marry I think, you know, we hope that everybody participates.
Speaker 4: Our ultimate goal is for idling to end. The best fame that we can get is clean air, money, clean.
Speaker 5: Air, actually clean air.
Speaker 10: There's so much idling going on that as long as you're in the right place, you can really get one after another.
Speaker 5: Let's snitch.
Speaker 8: We are gup revigial new workers looking out for the best pictures of our neighbors. I wrote the bill because I wanted to see a change in the future.
Speaker 5: I have a Nordstrom credit card that hasn't been paid off in seven years. Are they even in business anymore? What do I do? I'm ready to make some money a difference, make a difference.
Speaker 1: They have to keep your ears tuned to the sound of.
Speaker 6: Engines listening ears ears, yep.
Speaker 1: Then you use your iPhone to capture the headquarters address and the license plate.
Speaker 5: See these blinking lights here on this truck man.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a good signal that they're idling.
Speaker 5: So you're so When I see these blinking lights.
Speaker 2: There's a goode here, just like that.
Speaker 5: And then how long do we do this for?
Speaker 1: For three minutes and ten seconds?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's up long through your time.
Speaker 5: But I do this for three minutes.
Speaker 2: If you want to get paid, you'd have to do it right.
Speaker 5: Turns out activism is really boring and dehydrating. I'm just gonna pomp in for quick, Mark, Mark, that's fine. Confronting truckers takes balls. Luckily, George and I have those balls.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go and tell that driver that he's breaking the law.
Speaker 2: George.
Speaker 5: Yes, I just want you to know. Yes, I'm right here with you. I am right behind you. I got your back. Do you know why why? Because we're partners for life. Love it right behind you.
Speaker 9: You can we shut the engine off so you compliant with the law.
Speaker 5: I'm not with him. Quite a great team.
Speaker 10: So you think you've learned enough to go out on your own, Hugh, totally all right.
Speaker 2: I'm going to welcome you to become an idle.
Speaker 5: Warrior, George, you can count on me. After a full day of saving the earth, it was time to celebrate with my fellow warriors. This rounds on me. Here to the real superheroes. Protecting this planet. So when do we get paid.
Speaker 4: It takes about two years.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm alcohol