Speaker 1: You literally have one church for every child, So whow do we still have kids without a foster or adoptive family.
Speaker 2: I'm how the heck is that a reality? In my state where we have more churches than gas.
Speaker 1: Stations, America has a foster parent deficit. We meet around one hundred and forty thousand more foster homes than we have today, and because we don't have enough home for these innocent kids, there's devastating consequences.
Speaker 2: And I get handed to two day old baby with no place to go, and I didn't know we had a place that we stuck kids with no place to go. It's places that we take eighteen year olds and we move them from the kids shelter to the adult shelter because we don't have a better plan for them. And that reality to me was like this is unacceptable.
Speaker 1: Today's guest is Chris Campbell, executive director of the One One to One Project in Oklahoma, which partners with churches to recruit one new foster family a year and help strengthen one vulnerable family a month so that they can avoid foster care. Hare Portal now operates in all seventy seven counties and has served over fifty four thousand children twenty thousand just last year, holy smokes.
Speaker 2: Dude, and every day gross right, like even since that sixty one thousand kids.
Speaker 1: As of today, you've reduced the foster system from eleven thousand, five hundred to six thousand children in foster care.
Speaker 2: We created pathways for people to engage and partner and what do you know that that makes a difference.
Speaker 1: Their success in cutting foster care in half is incredible. I mean it's wild. I've never heard of a state achieving such a reduction until now, and you're about to learn how so that you can do this in your state too. You can do small things from meeting a need on care Portal, which is the largest air sharing technology in the country, or significant things like actually becoming a foster parent. And if there's an army of us doing these things together, we can solve this problem.
Speaker 2: But I see four million people in the state of Oklahoma that if we can't figure it out, I don't know who can, but I believe we can't.
Speaker 1: This is the Army of Normal Folks podcast, where our mission is to make service easier for all of us and together change this country. All right, everybody, we have super exciting news coming at you. I mean, Alice is excited about it, but I'm not sure how excited I am. The podcast is now live on YouTube, which means now you get to see me in case you prefer watching it there, and we're switching up the audio form out of the podcast. You can now either listen to the full version of the podcast on the same episode, meaning you no longer have to go to part one and part two to hear a whole episode we got going, or you can listen to a thirty minute version of the podcast that will be labeled as highlights and we get it. Many listeners who aren't as into long form podcast or struggle to find the time to listen to the whole thing each week have requested something like this, and so Alex got off his button. We finally created it. We're really not perfect, nobody is, but we really do try to take in all of your feedback and advice. We hope to create a product that makes service easier for you and all of us. So check it out and keep it coming. You can email us anytime at Normalfolks dot org and we will respond. Now let's go to the episode Chris Campbell from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, which is basically Tulsa.
Speaker 2: Basically Tulsa. Yeah, we would probably be offended, you know, but be Broken Airs part of Tulsall.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Memphis.
Speaker 2: He would love it.
Speaker 1: Chris is the executive director of the One One One Project, which very briefly that you're about to get into is the idea of one church for one family, for one purpose and that that can change everything. So explaining that and getting into it, you guys have helped cut foster care in half in your state in Oklahoma from eleven five hundred kids to six thousand.
Speaker 2: How Yeah, so there's sixty two hundred church in the state of Oklahoma. So the big idea was, Man, what if we got more people involved. There's enough churches, there's enough families, and there's enough people that want to help, they just don't know how to help. So how do we create those pathways for more people to help Because the government can't do it on their own. So we created pathways for people to engage and partner and what do you know that that makes a difference in the lives of kids and families. That can keep kids out of foster care, can help kids reunify faster, it can support those professionals that work day in and day out to take care of those families. So that play what we've gotten to see over the last ten years has actually led with a whole bunch of collaboration and work on our government side as well to changing our system making a difference in it.
Speaker 1: So I love that you're not one of these guys is just saying government sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you worked with you got to work with government, you know, like in our state, you know, our state agencies is some of the largest. I mean, if you look at capital and investment and staff count, you know they're they're doing good work because they care. But sometimes they have obstacles and red tape that prevents them from doing it as well as we would all like to see it done. And so we can either throw rocks at them and say just get better, or we can lean in and and try to help learn what needs to be changed and fill those holes, those gaps in the system where they can't they can't function. But just put a number on it. It's a lot of people.
Speaker 3: From what you told me, it's like three thousand Child and Family Service, So.
Speaker 2: Just in the child Welfare division. There's a there's about three thousand staff employees employees. So if you look at it from a corporation, you're right, it would be one of the largest employers in the state of Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So if you look at these different government enties, they're they're investing a lot in people. And we talk about all the time. You know, a lot of churches will know about their fire chief and their police chief, but they don't know nothing about child welfare some these other government agencies. But these are the people that are responsible when it's the ceiling fan. It's the government child welfare folks that are in the middle of the hardest of the muck with families. And so I have deep respect for my government counterparts and the work that they do.
Speaker 1: I love. I actually love to hear that. I don't hear that all the time, and I love to hear that. So I think it was two thousand and one, this idea of one one one it started to become a thing kind of take me through what you were doing and why and what happened, and just give us, give us a little bit of a foundation before we go forward. So we understand that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so even in the state of Oklahoma, which is traditionally more of a red state, more of a faith community. I think what the child welfare people recognized is when we're having these government round tables and problem solving, there's not church people sitting at this table. And that's a problem, right because they bring so much connection and favor and relationship and resource, both tangible financial resource but people resource, and they're not here and they don't care or seemingly care as their perspective. So, Oklahoma had a lawsuit related to some child dust that happened, and that lawsuit required the government to partner in the community better. That was one of the required outcomes from the settlement. But it also was the felt reality that hey, we're alone in this work. We're doing these visits with these families that somebody called in on and it's the worst of the worst situations, and we don't have anybody to support us, let alone to support these families because we've not invited them or there's not pathways for that. So that was kind of the environment that it was like, enough is enough, Let's figure out how to partner. And some of the leaders at the agency were like, Hey, this can't beat government, right, because government smells like government, it looks like government. It's going to be received as government is to be some entity or something out here that's separate. And so one one One Project was created through some government people, some church people, some community advocates that said, hey, what would it look like to create a nonprofit that's its sole focus was community faith mobilization in the state.
Speaker 1: And the idea of one church for one family, for one purpose, the purpose supporting foster ko.
Speaker 2: Yeah, foster kids. And so at the time, we had eighty two hundred kids in care. Actually the first event that happened was the eighty forty six conference because there was eight thousand and forty six kids in care on January first of twenty eleven. Well, we did this conference and then the numbers continued to rise and they rose to a level that they begin to get out of control, almost twelve thousand kids in care. So it's kind of one of those things where you have a great idea thing is going to work, and it seems like, actually the opposite happened, right, And it really wasn't until twenty fifteen where we implement and I think you guys have had care Portal on on the show.
Speaker 1: One of the things we talk about often because it is such an effective idea and it's implemented. Implementation has now been incredibly effective across a broad array of uses.
Speaker 2: But you guys, we were the very first implementer of care portal, were really yeah we were. Yeah, we were Oklahoma, surprise, you know. So care Portal had done a couple of pilots and a couple of different locations, and one of those locations was Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: For those who haven't listened to the care Portal episode or even though what care portal is that maybe listened to us for the first time briefly, Yep, what is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have workers over here that are working with families that need help, and you've got people over here that want to help. Care Portal is the web based platform that connects the two and really simple to give opportunity without the red tape to directly serve families through that worker. And so that platform has now been around ten years, over five years. Cell phone, Yeah, on cell phones it's web app and a phone app. Now over five hundred thousand kids served through this. Hey, somebody who knows the family advocates for the family. Somebody in the community that cares responds and says, hey, I can help with that, whether it's a dishwasher to a car seat, to a bed to utility bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the best stories I've ever heard is this lady gets a job, but she has to get her kids to daycare. The job helps pay for daycare, but she doesn't have a car seat. Some family knows about it, puts it on care portal, and somebody on a phone that's just sitting there and they say, hey, this woman needs a new car seat so she can go to work. And you just have your care Portal app and you see the needs and anything you like, you click done and you buy a car seat and that's It takes ten minutes and you change somebody's way.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeap one hundred percent. And to advocate for the needs of the family, to know what the reality is that they that they have, but also recognizing that there's that worker, there's that government worker who's saying, hey, here's a family that we think can make it right. I mean, they could put on a request for any family, but most likely the families that they're putting on careport are the ones that they think have a chance because they're cheering for him too, right, They're cheering for that dad that's waking up at five o'clock in the morning and walking twelve miles to get to work, but then trying to figure out how he's going to do his you know, addictive recovery case plan and his child welfare plans and his kid's visitation. Right, but he don't have a car. But the worker sees the hard work that dad's doing to try to change his life, and she's like, yeah, I want dad to have a bus pass, you know, like I want dad to be able to have transportation. I want dad to have people cheering for him because he's an amazing dude, you know, but when he's on drugs or when he's under the influence of alcohol, he's struggled. But he's making this progress and we all need to be celebrating that. And we want his kids out of foster care, you know. So sometimes the best family for kids is not a new one, it's the one that they've always had that just needs that extra support and extra advocacy for that.
Speaker 1: And so she puts that on care portal. Somebody buys a bus pass and it's great, and that way, it's not somebody that wants something asking, is somebody advocating for someone who needs it. So great. So in twenty fifteen, there's this thing called care port.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we launched it first time, and it was it was horrible. I mean it was really it was not good. I mean I could pick on Adrian in the room, but I mean it was pragmatically a newsletter an email list, right, it was like here you have somebody over here putting it on okay, email that out to everybody that's on our contact list, right. And then over time, I mean I joke, I've seen care Portal have like five or six brain surgeries and again, normal folks, I mean, these are some guys in Kansas City that have never built any kind of technology platform, just you know, like, hey, what can we do for the kids in our backyard? And an idea came from that and now this really cool platform and tool and partnership among thousands of churches and thousands of nonprofits and government entities all across the country.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in twenty twenty five, the one one one project I guess it's called celebrated a landmark milestone. Care Portal now operates in all seventy seven counties and has served over fifty four thousand children, twenty thousand just last year, holy smokes, dude.
Speaker 2: Yep, and every day grows, right like even since that, sixty one thousand kids as of today. And what's been really cool is, of course, strategically, I think we all look at and say, hey, where's the greatest amount of need go go there? And so you know, surprisingly Oklahoma City is twentieth fish and top largest metros in the country. A lot of people don't know about Oklahoma. Oh there's people there. Yeah, there's a lot of people. Guess some bits a great I mean, but it's a big city and has all the big city challenges in Tulsa's very similar. But we're also very rural. I mean, Oklahoma has the same land mass as Florida does, right Like, it's just as big of a state, more coastline actually than Florida than because of all of our lakes, right, but very rural, very rural. And so you can drive three four hours and still be in Oklahoma and a lot of tribal lands to a lot of tribal lands, a lot of rural poverty because of that lot of isolation. And we joke in some of our communities there's more cows and people, you know, but there's kids there, there's families there, and those families are just as important to us as the ones in the urban core, but they're just as disconnected because of the isolation in those communities. Sometimes it's just the distance and the lack of knowledge, or the stereotypes, or you know, just the challenges that our rural communities face. And so it was really important for us that we just didn't show up for the metros, you know, especially in day and age, post COVID and even with Amazon delivery and all these other services. A family can be in their isolated community and never go into town right and sometimes even with some of the rules on schooling, never go to school right. They're they're doing everything in their little isolated spot, and so when things boil up and there's a crisis, they have no one to call, have no one that knows about their situation. And yet oftentimes that's child Welfare is interacting there for the first time, and oftentimes it's some sweet, you know, young caseworker, you know twenty three, twenty four stepping into this really difficult situation. And there's no nonprofits that are in this community. There's no food bank or services, and so it's really isolating you when you don't know what to do, how to help where who are you going to call? But yet there's churches and every one of those communities more churches and gas stations. In the state of Oklahoma, there's a church that somebody planted way back in the nineteen hundreds in every little county seat in town, not far away. And so it would make rational sense that that would be the network. If you could figure out how to engage that could really change a lot of things in those communities, acting at as a as a hub for service and connection and resource.
Speaker 1: Flow, which is the whole idea behind project one one one. And then you have this cool tool called care Portal that you implement in supports that network twenty fifteen, the sports network and the connectivity starts. That's right, and now a few messages from our general sponsors.
Speaker 2: But first, earlier this.
Speaker 1: Year something we're really proud of, Army members launched six A and F local service clubs around the country. Their design is to make service easier for your fellow community members by really having zero requirements of the club's members. All you gotta do is just sign up and join our service activities whenever you can, when it works for you, and you welcome kids to join us for everything, and they cultivate an in person family like tribe for lack of a better term, that makes service even more rewarding. We are now really, because of the success of these first six, looking at launching more local service clubs and if you'd be interested in either leading or serving on the leadership team of a new one in your community, email Alex at Alex at Normalfolks dot org and he'd love to connect with you about this cool opportunity. We'll be right back. So you've reduced the foster system from eleven thousand, five hundred to six thousand children in foster care, and Alex says, there's sixty two hundred churches in your state, right, you literally have one church for every child. So why do we still have kids without a foster or adoptive family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question, and I think part of that is not by.
Speaker 1: The way that question can be misconstrued, that is, by no means a criticism. Yeah, that's right, because you've cut it in half. Yep, but it still is an inconvenient fact that there's that many. So what I guess, I guess what next? Why do we still have this going on?
Speaker 2: I think we all recognize that sometimes we have simple goals for the sake of communication, but then when we get underneath, we realize the problem is a lot more complicated than any of them want to make it out.
Speaker 1: Is not universal, that's in business, families anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we we want to make it the reality of it simple, but we would be ignorant to say it's that simple. And so on the church side, the reality is a lot of our churches are small, little family churches. A lot that you know are aging right, that are that are of an age that they're like, hey, we can't we can't raise kids anymore. But they have a lot to offer, but it may not be in opening up their home. We'd also recognize the challenges with a lot of our kids in the system. Not not every family is out of the gate equipped. You know, even even if you've had kids, you you probably need some additional equipping and training and development to make you ready to parent kids that come from our places, kids that come from trauma. Are kids that come from a different cultural context that you do. And so what we recognize is that kids are coming out of places of need, sometimes of rural poverty and even sometimes of urban poverty. But kids in the foster care system come from all sorts of different scenarios. So even a blanket foster care is ignorant because it's as complicated as people are, right, it's different as people are. But I think the simple idea is we've got more than enough people, you know. But it's a lack of development and it's a lack of connection that keeps people from saying yes, which ultimately, Bill, I think is fear.
Speaker 1: I think I think we have talked foster care a fair amount on here. I mean, it's not something that we just it's not a focus. It's just come up right, right, I from all of those interviews and all of the different faces and all of the different work being done. I do think fear plays a huge role in it. And I don't think it's fear of opening your home them. I think it's it's the fear of, you know.
Speaker 2: How how much work is this going to be, which is to.
Speaker 1: Is this child going to interrupt my already organic nuclear family, and what's that going to be on my own children? I mean, and I think those are legitimate.
Speaker 2: Fears, are all legitimate fears, and I think for all of us, experience and relationship over time is what gives us the context of the wisdom to say, Okay, I'm ready for that, right, or there's other ways that I can be involved, and that is just as good, Right, That's just as helpful. And so all of us that are in the foster care space would say, our heart is not to grow foster care. Our heart is to keep kids out of foster care.
Speaker 1: And you'd like to work yourself out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely right. And so I think every state, if they're doing the things that they should be doing, they're thinking more about going upstream and prevention and community work, and then secondarily they're thinking about kinship care because like, kids should belong in, if not their immediate family, in this broader family if possible. And so that work is all work that we're trying to do. So to say, hey, more families is the easy answer. Yeah, but it's the right kind of families that really can provide those kids a thriving environment, whether it be their complex behavioral needs, whether it be the disability that they have, or whether it be just the room. You know, hey, I've got siblings, and we want those kids to all be placed in a home together. Well, for anybody to take on one extra child in their home, but to take on three, four or five, that's a significant jump, right, But we would believe there's more than enough families. It's finding them, it's equipping them, it's giving them pathways to have those experiences to get them to a yes, versus just trying to cherry pick them off and throwing them in. And because they saw a picture of a kid and we're like, oh, you know, I feel empathy, but they're not ready. And so I think the big work that even what you're talking about on this podcast to do is how do we develop a community and a culture that gets the experiences so that they are ready for those yeses instead of coming in for the wrong reasons and the wrong ideas.
Speaker 1: I got a question about you. I didn't know this, but Alex told me. You've got a music degree and you got an MBA. You've worked in manufacturing, you've worked in consulting, you were pastors, now you're running a statewide nonprofit. I mean confused, that's a lot. I guess with all of those different experiences, when was it and what was it? And I can't believe it was just that two day old baby, But when was it? What was it that pivoted you and said, Okay, this with all of this background, this education, and all these opportunities, and you've got.
Speaker 2: Five children, I think five children, yeah.
Speaker 1: And Ashley, your wife, you'll be married, yeah, thirty years.
Speaker 2: I think five years. Coming to say five years?
Speaker 1: What pivoted to this? Is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean that's a million dollar question for all of us that I think we all should take some time to explore. But one of my favorite quotes is every and I don't I don't even know. Somebody, please help me figure out who said this quote. But every man seems lazy pursuing another man's dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard that too.
Speaker 2: I don't know, right, I don't know who is facious or somebody else very smart? Right, some wise somebody old?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But from an early age, I've loved mobilizing people. I'm a galvanizer. I love I love putting people together for things, and so everywhere that i've I've ever been. That's part of if I'm not living, if I'm not doing that right. And so I love the people component. I feel like God cursed the work of my hands. I can't build a thing for the life of me, you know, with my hands, and so I had to learn how to do things with people. So I love the people side of things. But personally, we had you know, we had a typical suburban family from the outside, white family and the burbs with Oklahoma and broken Arow. I grew up in Broken Arrow. It would look like everything was like working and together, but inside we had some financial troubles. We had some bumps with mental health and mental illness that led to chaos in my family in a way that God redeemed and restored and made some beautiful things out of. But there were some moments if I didn't have the extra supports and resources, we could have been bumping up to some system things right. So I think that gives me some empathy to recognize that all of us are one family decision away from go in a wrong direction, and there needs to be some humility with that. But the other thing, I'd give some credit my sister. I'm the youngest of four siblings, three older siblings, and they one that's closest to me is nine years older, and when she was on a college break, she actually invited me to go with her down to Mexico on a medical trip, medical mission trip. And I was eight. I was like, extra baggage, that's kind of cool. So I had this opportunity with my sister to go, and that was one of the opportunities of we're all standing on somebody else's shoulders. But a cultural is like.
Speaker 1: My dad, my mom.
Speaker 2: My mom was one of the most servant hearted people in the world, like set an example for me to serve and to give. It was a culture that was created in my life and I can't leave that right, Like I think the Scripture points to this idea. If we point a child on the way that they should go, they're not going to depart from it. And I think it's about culture, even team culture, when you create a culture that this is just what we do it and it's healthy, right, we want that for our family and our kids in our life. And so no matter what I was doing, whether it was working in the ice cream Planet Bluebell, I was thinking about families and kids, and.
Speaker 1: There's really very few creative football coaches. There's a few, there's pioneers. Nobody will know this, but how Mummy was the guy who kind of invented the air raid and it changed the way offenses work. And as a result, there are people like Pete Carroll who changed in money Kiffin money Kiffin in a big way, who changed the way defenses work as an answer to the way offenses worked. Right, But I'm naming two or three coaches in the history of youth, high school, college, professional sport of football over the last seventy years, So think I can name two. Really, Bear Brownt was pretty greative with the Veer, but that's maybe three names that really created a way football world and millions of people who've coached it yours truly. What we do is we copy each other. Yeah, And in coaching, you've got the exes and o's, but you also have the way you interact with your players because you know, it's not about the ex's and o's, it's about the joke. So inspiring kids to play well and teamwork and all that is an equal part of coaching as it is just knowing the mechanics of the game. And other coach those Right. So the point is a guy like news coach thirty three years, I am not like any I am not exactly like any one coach I've ever had, But they are parts of me as a coach that are made up of the pieces of all these coaches. Right. So my my reality as a coach, my ara, my work as a coach is truly a culmination of what I think are the best parts of each coach that I liked, pulled together to make me to be the best that I can be. Right. I wonder, creatively, as a musician, having worked in manufacturing, having been a pastor, three very different disciplines all rolled up into one psyche, how if all of those parts have kind of created this odd mix of the guy that runs a nonprofit and if you use each of those parts and how you do it? Because here's the deal. You're the first dude in three years to show up with props to metaphorically make a point. That's got to be the artist, right. But I do wonder. I wonder about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's what I would encourage your kids. That's what I want for kids, right, because I think we all need data and experiences to help us discover right like to and that's I think part of the curiosity. I would encourage all your listeners even in this thing is ask a bunch of questions. Right, I'm like, I had no Like I think back to my college experience. Looking out the window of my dorm room was a government DHS child well for office. There were kids in that office when I was in college, and it not once crossed my mind. But now every time that I go back, I see that office and I know there's kids there, and I'm wondering just the community of that. Right, you are hyper passionate about that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean hyper where why? Uh? You know?
Speaker 2: I think it's a gift that God gives you, right, And I think that's where you have to you not apologize for it, just embrace it and just say, hey, like, this is this is what I'm called to do.
Speaker 1: It's clear and all this other stuff set it up. No, all of these other things on in life set you up and be where you are. But for you to be as passionate about what you're doing it it's inspiring.
Speaker 2: Well, and we're all volunteers. At the end of the day, we have choices, And I think that's the thing we have to remember, is we have a choice where we put our time and our energy and our effort. We have the choice which boat we're going to get in and go for the ride. And so if it's not the thing that is helping you fulfill your calling and your design, man, wouldn't it be more fun to be on a different boat that fits you know who you are and what you're created to be, And so you know, I, yeah, I do care about the foster care system, but I care just as much about mobilizing people into their calling. And so that's what probably keeps me motivated.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. Alex made a point all air, that's an interesting question, which is how many falster families do you still need to recruit? And maybe more importantly, not more importantly, but equally importantly, what's that gap and what happens to kids inside that gap?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question. So in foster care, just like any entity, right, if you're not recruiting new you're dying, right, Yeah, because there has to be attrition. There's always attrition, and a lot of it's fair attrition, right I change of seasoned life circumstances whatever, moving moving. But in Oklahoma and every state, we try to not talk about it too much, but the reality a lot of children are being adopted. And so every year in Oklahoma, fifteen hundred to twenty five hundred kids are being adopted out of the state of Oklahoma Childwell First system. About fifty percent of kids go home in the state of Oklahoma, but about fifty percent of the kids will never go home, And so those families adopt those kids that the foster families that love those kids, who knew those kids, who have fought for those kids, tried to get them reunified with their families. When that doesn't work out, ninety five percent of the time, it's the foster family that adopts that child, and we want to celebrate that, but the reality is that work is still not done at adoption. We want to say, hey, this moment, check gets done right and everything's great, and when in reality that we know some of the toughest work actually happens post adoption, right when a child goes through those teenage years and they're dealing with their realities of how can my mom and dad do these things right? Like when that weight begins to hit, and the emotions and the feelings. Even in the best of homes, it can really rock a young person and create some really tumultuous years. And that family doesn't need to be fostering more kids as they're walking through that with that child.
Speaker 1: Right, that makes so much sense. So as they adopt and as they move on the number of foster kids, if we haven't gone upstream far enough and stopped it, they keep coming. So if you're not constantly developing families, you're losing.
Speaker 2: You're always your numbers are ratio wiser going down. So if you look at the math, you know, I didn't love algebra, but you know you got numerator denominator that kind of thing, right, you can you can impact one of the two sides. You get more foster families and your ratio looks better, or you help prevent less kids going into the system, you know, and so both both are worthy causes. Both you don't have a whole lot of control of if you're doing the work right, other than how can we provide more supports for these kids and families from different communities to make sure kids don't go in care? So in Oklahoma, you know, we have zero point five five families for every child in the system. Yeah, so one family for every two kids, pragmatically, right.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting Also, as you said, there were three thousand people working for the government and there's about six thousand. That also means you have one worker for every two kids. You would think with one worker for every two kids and one family for every two kids, that y'all would have this thing under wraps.
Speaker 2: Right, And from the outside, looking in the data makes seem like, well, there's a lot of waste there, right, or a lot of fluffs. What it feels like, what it feels like. So let me let me unpack that even a little bit, because I think this is really important, and I would say every day I learned something new. I've been doing this now ten years, and I can share part of my story. I had a friend invite me to a local shelter church leader of a really large church was a church leader as I was a minister. I was a paid vocational pastor, and my job at this big church was to help people serve in the community and be connected in community outreach. I was the outreach small group's pastor. I was in charge of all things adults for a church of about six to ten thousand at the time. It was a big church, lots of people. And I had a friend that said, hey, I love God was doing some really cool stuff with adoption in our church. A lot of families were adopting. People were saying, hey, man, our kids ministry looks like the un right that because these kids were coming in from all over the world, and it was really cool.
Speaker 1: That's Christ.
Speaker 2: It was beautiful. But one of my good friends comes knocking on my door one day and she's got an idea. And as a leader, you know, ideas are a diamond dozent, right, everybody's got an idea, right, But this is a really good friend, a really smart friend, a friend that I deeply respect. And she's like, hey, I want to take you some place. And I'm like, absolutely, Rachel, where do you want to go? And she's like, I want to take you to our local kids shelter. But I didn't know we had a kids shelter. I'm a you know, not old old man, but thirty year old man, right, that's been highly involved. My head has not been in the sand. And it's my job to get people connected in the community. And I didn't know we had a place that we stuck kids with no place to go. And so she takes me to the shelter and I get handed to two day old baby with no place to go in the state of Oklahoma. And this is pre one, one one, this is like two thousand and nine, and literally she's like, yeah, this baby came from the hospital. Why the heck is this baby here? Well, there's no foster family available anywhere in the state of Oklahoma that at this moment can take this to dal old baby. And I'm like, how the heck is that a reality in my state where we have more churches than gas stations?
Speaker 1: How was that a reality in.
Speaker 2: The United States of America?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And I'm taking families around the world to do these trips to work in orphanages and that kind of thing. Ragmatically in our backyard, we have this thing we.
Speaker 1: Call shelter ten minutes.
Speaker 2: It's supposed to be temporary, but yet, as Ashley crossed that same place that Ashley talked about on this podcast, it's places that we take eighteen year olds and we move them from the kids shelter to the adult shelter because we don't have a better plan for them. And that reality to me was like my wattership, Boba, this is unacceptable, right, how can we tolerate that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And I think in the science of the stuff that we're talking about, right, like the pain of the current situation has to outweigh the effort that's going to be required for change.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And so for me that was my moment where like the pain is too great, we got to change things, We got to fix things. So our church begin to lean in. We begin to send folks to that shelter to meet those kids and to play basketball and do hair and have pizza parties and do financial classes.
Speaker 1: Right, this is a temporary shelter.
Speaker 2: This is supposed to be a temporary shelter.
Speaker 1: That's just about that.
Speaker 2: If there's no home, it becomes permanent. It becomes permanent.
Speaker 1: But it was never designed or set up to be permanent for children, right.
Speaker 2: That's right. And we know institutions aren't good for kids. Yeah, if you don't have a mom and a dad, and then we say, hey, go bless you go be an adult, figure it out. And you've never had an example of what a functioning household looks like, right, You've never done your laundry, you've never done your dishes, you can't cook meals because of the liability associated with you know, food handler permits and all that. Right, Like the complications of institution make things not healthy for kids, and so it sets them on a trajectory and spiritually for the church. I echo to this, churches, how can a kid ever fall in love with this heavenly father if they've never had a go to earthly one? Right, Like, we could talk all we want about God loves you, when they've never seen it with skin on, it's going to be a big jump for them, right, So foster care. The thing I didn't know is state of Oklahoma. Just state of Oklahoma eighty thousand phone calls every year to our hotline. That's how eighty thousand? Okay, So that's a coach, that's a teacher, that's a neighbor, that's somebody who cares, one or two on of calls a day. Somebody who cares says something's wrong here, right, And I think it's a scary thing. As a youth in Oklahoma were mandatory reporters. So if you're the youth pastor and you see a kid come to come to camp and he's got bruises or scart like you're required to call, right, we're supposed to report. But the reality, that's a lot of things to investigate, and so our three thousand staff their primary responsibility is if that seems like a legitimate call, because some of them are silly, right, like there's there's a marital spat that's happening and husband or wife because they're mad at their spouse, or making calls just to create some drama because they're mad, they're angry, and that's their only thing that they can do. But in the midst of all that chaos and sometimes even deception, there's a reality that kids are being harmed and they're unsafe, and so our frontline child investigation staff it's their job to figure out what's true or not.
Speaker 1: And they're handling twenty two hundred calls a day.
Speaker 2: And then not only do they just deal with the child, they're dealing with the mom and the dad, but maybe the aunt and the uncle, maybe the neighbor, maybe the teacher. Right now, grandparents and foster parents, everybody's got an opinion, everybody's got a perspective. Right, they've got a supervisor, they've got a judge. So one situation involving three or four kids now becomes this inner web of complication. Here's the part I would. I would celebrate our agency and once again, the outside is much simpler than the inside of this. But in Oklahoma, seventy five percent of the kids, even in situations of abuse and neglect, stay home or stay with a family member that cares. So a lot of folks will be like, well, these agencies just they're trying to make money, they're trying to steal babies, they're you know, they're in it for their own profit. Find me an example where that's true. You know, there's always cases of fraud, but on a whole nobody's getting a bonus for taking another kid, and nor do they want that on their caseloading, you know. But the reality is seventy five percent of the time they're figuring out things to leave kids, even in cases where dad's done some things, because what they recognize is, man, it's much better to support that family than to remove that kid, because once we remove that kid, the trauma to the kid is not worth it. Right, Like, just removing a child from their family creates enough chaos. But even for dad. What happens psychologically to a dad when you remove his kids from even a dad this struggling with addiction, might that dad, when there's a kid in his home, have some checks even as faint, you know, as that that voice is still in his head, like maybe I should party this hard tonight because that's interesting, Right, I'm gonna have I'm gonna have my six year old that's gonna be knocking at my door tomorrow morning. I may throw some things at that six year old, you know, because I have a hangover. But is we would all recognize that there would be some accountability for having a child in most healthy situations or family situations. But when you remove that kid, what motivation is there for dad anymore?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: The one thing that he might be proud of, the one main thing that he might be hopeful for, the one thing that I mean, what parent doesn't want good parent wants their kids to thrive or wants to brag on their kids. And so when you remove the child from their home, it really hurts. Actually the success of progress you can actually have with a family. Whereas if you can leave that kid in there, wrap around supports. Right, So that's the work of the agency that people do not appreciate.
Speaker 1: So when you need to talk about three thousand people, it's really not that many. It's not that many for that kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and recognizing also because we don't have enough foster families in the state of Oklahoma, that child may be placed three hours away from where that worker originated that case, So guess what they're actually really doing. They're driving to pick up this kid in this part of the state to this part of it just to do a family visit for an hour with mom, and mom because she didn't have transportation, might be there late, might not right, Like she's struggling herself and we're blaming mom. Well mom, Mom may be walking five miles to So the whole system, once you get inside of it, you realize how how really complicated and hard it is for somebody, and so the ones that are making it, and it's a forty five dollars bus pass to help them be successful, It's like, why wouldn't I want to fix that?
Speaker 1: So maybe I've got forty five hours total of hearing these stories and thinking through these things, which you know that's significant enough to start having a perspective, but it is nothing compared to somebody like you worked with. And I sit here and hear you talk. You even got emotional a little bit when you were talking about the two day old baby and what clicked for you when you went from being a pastor to ultimately this. Clearly your perspective on the foster system has changed. But I think also it's important to talk about the perspective on the foster families themselves and how we support them, and how that perspective has shaped what Project one one one does today. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, Foster famous are my heroes. They're normal folk. Very few of them have the experiences that they really need to walk in or the training to walk in. I mean, it's the most underappreciated professional role, but yet it's not seen as a professional role, right, I mean.
Speaker 1: It is the most underappreciated that every time I sit across from someone who is a foster and I hear their stories. Lydia, the Memphis Service Club president, Yeah, just thirteen children and I think eight how many.
Speaker 3: She's adopted at eleven and eight have some form of disability?
Speaker 1: Every one of them? Yeah, every are you kidding me? I know that Lydia is not Christ because he came a while back. So there's no seat on the right hand of God for Lydia. But she going to be closed.
Speaker 2: And and this is the thing I get a little arranged about, Bill, is somebody on the bleachers is going to say, well, she's in it for the money.
Speaker 1: That is horse bride.
Speaker 2: We have words for it, right, because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are words for it. And from an Oklahoma god that that is a pal of cowdom, you.
Speaker 2: Do, yeah, right? And so because I know even yeah, there's additional stipends that are going for higher level needs of kids, and and there's even some recent things that I've seen recently, this tried to elevate some of that. Guys, look at look at the numbers. Most situations foster families are subsidizing the government to care for a challenge, a situation that's not they're making. They're taking their personal wealth and time and energy just step in to things that they didn't they didn't create voluntarily. And yes, they get a stipend that I mean barely pays for the eggs in a household, right like twenty dollars a day, right like twenty dollars a day for a kid. Okay, Like, guys, that like that that doesn't cover a lot. And it's different in different states and different challenges that kids have, but it's it's there because of the medical needs or or like we're trying to do this as best as we can. But nobody's getting rich from my experience off foster care. And and if you are, you got the wrong mindset on how to get riched, right, or that you're making money because you know know how to look at a budget or a balance sheet, because that's not a way that you make money. You can make a whole lot of money doing a whole lot of other things. And it's a twenty four to seven responsibility, right, It's there's not there's not bricks, there's not right. And and the amount of additional things that you're bringing in. So for a lot of our families, I mean, they say yes to foster care and they feel bad receiving help because they recognize they're the ones that made that commitment, right, But the amount of appointments, the amount of people that they're dialoguing with.
Speaker 1: Just the need to every once in a while go out and have dinner with your.
Speaker 4: Spouse alone alone, right, And that's just an in normal parenting, right, right, but you add all these other layers associated with the complex things associated with being involved in foster care, and it's really tough.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back pure neked disclosure. What was your perspective of a foster family? Kind of just a snippet your foster family pre holding the two day old baby and today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think all of us. You can either uh you know, glorify it. You can overly simplify it, right to make it seem you know, like this this really rosy thing, like this beautiful thing. Oh, you're you're saving a kid's life. Right, It's admirable, but it's it's complicated and it will push and test every part of you as a parent, right, and so uh so confession, I'm not a foster parent, and some people are really surprised about that. And I'm intentionally not a foster parent because I can't do the work of mobilization that I do and still foster. I can't be in all these different I am a parent, right, And we support foster families and we've done respite, we've we've we've stepped in in other ways because we recognize how hard it is, but we intentionally had a conversation to say, it's like, hey, you can't be in the battle and be a frontline infantryman.
Speaker 1: And be home to be a father to a FID right.
Speaker 2: And try to try to bring in resources, right, go get the stuff that those frontline people need. And so we felt a calling to try to really supply and support. But if I wasn't willing to get dirty as well, if I wasn't willing to get in the trenches, sometimes that creates a little disconnection like who are you to you know? And so I think the reality of with the foster families that I've walked with and the kids that we've loved as a community, you know, it takes a lot more than what people I think appreciate. And then I would add to that for the adoptive families, I think they are another I mean, they're twenty or twenty five thousand kids just in the state of Oklahoma that Oklahoma is still doing some case management that have been adopted.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Right, So yeah, they're in a safe environment, good environment with a f but some of those challenges even for babies. You know, we all would recognize that if you have alcoholism in your family that at times there's this weird thing that we don't even really understand. But you have a predisposition to alcoholism even though you never drank alcohol. Right, So there is these things with the mind and the body that are so complex. As good as we get with science, we still don't understand. And so for a lot of kids that come from trauma, even trauma in the womb, what we recognize is that leaves a mark and there's hope that there's healing in their restoration. But there's things that still are complicated that we there's not a solution for, and so it leads to these situations that are really complicated for families. Behaviors, safety concerns that for a lot of our adoptive families, they're in a rock and a heart place because there's no one that has an answer. There's no pill that fixes that right or program that fixes that. We're just going to sit and hard for a really long time. And that heart actually leads to involvement with did just a system, you know, with jail and criminal backgrounds, or it leads to other addictive behaviors, or it leads to other mental health things that some of these families have had no experience with and those are those are the heart. I have to have support and they got to figure it out right. They don't have an option. It's living in their home, you know, and yet they say yes to it every day.
Speaker 1: Alex says, you have a radical vision of wanting to see families waiting on children instead of children waiting on families. How realistics that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would never have believed that we would be statewide. I would have never believed that we've seen them, the overwhelming surge of support that we have in Oklahoma. And you know, God, I think gives you just enough favor and success. That's like, hey, what like back here it's a pipe dream, But here it's like no, Like, I see the future of that, and I'm I'm far enough along now that I see the future of it. And the reason I still want to believe and believe that it's not a resource problem. You know, Jesus when he looked over Jerusalem, he wept over Jerusalem. But the prayer that he encouraged to supplect pray was the harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. And what I see in a state of Oklahoma is not a resource problem or even a connection problem. But it's still a people challenge. But I see four million people in the state of Oklahoma that if we can't figure it out to serve six thousand kids at any given time, I don't know who can, but I believe we can.
Speaker 3: I want to ask two things before we move on. You have set goals for churches yearly and monthly. Can you talk about that and goals Maybe that may be saying a little too crasp but like targets that ideally in the idealize the world that all each church should be doing.
Speaker 2: And then how are you guys doing against that right now? Absolutely so? Simply you know, there's about fifteen thousand kids that come in and out of they'll Calhima foster care system every year. Right the math would say they're in twos on average, you know, like people were caring for them and doubles. So if you have six thousand churches that served one family every month, that's twelve thousand families that are served every year. That touches every case in the state of Boklon. So the simple challenge to an army of good is are you willing to serve a family a month a whole church one whole church.
Speaker 1: It's not much to ask.
Speaker 2: It's not much to ask, right, Like that simple goal. Now, it would be ignorant of me to say that that that takes care of all the problems, but dang it sure would help.
Speaker 1: Oh why that makes it do? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because a caseworker is saying, Dad could make it if he had a little extra help. If that, if Dad had a rent deposit that he can't currently afford, we could speed up his pathway to housing because he's got a job, he's on a pathway for being clean, but he needs a dang rent deposit. So he's either going to wait three four months before he gets his kid back or we could do it today. Right. The scripture alludes to this idea of where our treasure is? There are hearts follow? Right? So the simple concept is, if I want to care about the stock market, what do I do? I put a little money into it, and now what I follow a stock because I've got some investment there.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. Right, And you're saying, if you put a little money in a human being, now you're interested in you follow and then relations.
Speaker 2: Time, energy, capital, right, time, treasure, talents, whatever those things are. But when you make that investment. You're in. You're in for sometimes a life you didn't realize where this thing was going to go. And the challenge with institutions and even with government is they control for liability and protection and they do this and nobody's ever able to get connected or invest. But when we open up some doors, some pathways, some on rance for people to they get involved. They begin to care. They begin to realize that child welfare worker is just like their college kid that they have that just graduated, that is pursuing a dream, and their dream was helping people. And so they got into social work because they felt called to social work. But yet the daily opportunity that they have kicks their butt every day and they want to quit, and so they don't last long, right, And so like you begin to meet people and make friends and see opportunities. But here's what's also beautiful is as you get involved, you begin to see the gaps. And what caring people do is they fill gaps. They solve problems. And there's so many problems that are so different in every community that if you don't invite the community in, they'll never solve it because they don't have any ownership in it. They don't have any buy in that's there, right, but when you invite them in to be a part of it. You've got churches that are starting bunk bed ministries because there's not enough beds for kids, Sleep and Heavenly Peace.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Or Judy Sharon from New Hope Baptist in small town, Oklahoma. Right, she didn't even have a Sleep and Heavenly Peace.
Speaker 1: She just making beds.
Speaker 2: You've got churches that are creating small little medical clinics because they're hearing in their community people are not getting their medical needs addressed and they can't drive, and there's not a close clinic, and so some of their clinicians are giving extra time and they're using a Sunday school class to serve two or three families a week.
Speaker 1: On the surface, sounds simple, you connect churches with kids who need families.
Speaker 3: Hold on, I think we missed one of the goals, though I didn't answer your question very well. The other one was so church is trying to recruit one family year, recruit and support one family a year. So in the state of Oklahoma, we have thirty five hundred families that are in the game.
Speaker 2: We have sixty two hundred kids. If we had a net three thousand families, we would have a one to one ratio, which the federal government says is like unreal. Yeah right, But if we had every church recruit and support one new family every year, it would overwhelm the system. The problem would be we would have excess, and we would say that it's waste, right, Like how do we license homes that we're not even going to use. It creates a whole other set of problems that we would have to solve. But there would be really good problems like, oh, we have options, we have five families to choose from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would think that that would be what you would want.
Speaker 2: But no government is going to pay for waste, right, So the community's got to get creative, Like how do we create on deck foster families? How do we create people lining up that are ready to go when we need them?
Speaker 1: Maybe the state of Arkansas, it'spay the state of Oklahoma for the extra frame pitch that they love it.
Speaker 2: The mind is churning lumber people, Well, no, I.
Speaker 1: Mean if Oklahoma had extra places in Arkansas didn't, Maybe Arkansas invests the money they were going to invest.
Speaker 2: And the reality is I think again, like we've been dreaming about a volunteer program in our offices, because what we have kids that are at the offices that are waiting, and so wouldn't we want people engaging those kids there, just like we did at the shelter. And so we're trying to bring innovation to our system to say, Okay, hey, it costs you too money for the insurance and the case management to support an empty home. But what if that empty home is doing something that's helpful? And what if that empty home is also getting experiences while they're waiting. Right, they're meeting the kids, they're meeting the workers, right.
Speaker 1: They're developing the skill set.
Speaker 2: Oh, we need a development league in the foster care Systell, I got right. Yeah, what if you had a football team and there was no use sports in your community.
Speaker 3: Some of this is kind of like say Families for Children or Isaiah one seventeen.
Speaker 2: Another another amazing partnership. Right, And so what we recognize in this whole ecosystem is all these things are needed because it's your development league. It's how you get people the experiences to get them to these higher levels of care. They got to have the like they're gonna have these other opportunities that are that are easy on ramps. Okay, I guess is that how it works?
Speaker 1: I mean, because the execution cannot be just as simple as saying, okay, let's connect churches to kids that need families, and we're good. How does it actually? We don't have to get into a thirty minute detail, but yeah, just in general, how does it work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you how it's worked so far.
Speaker 1: It is clear.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you how it has worked so far. So so. One of the things that I think is the challenge in leadership is you want to have a high expectation for the product and things that you do right. You want high quality. But to have a development league, you actually got to lower the bar. You got to make it super easy for people to play. Because if whatever game that you're playing is too complicated and I can't do it day one, I'm out, don't it is the learning of the game seems overwhelming. And so I think one of the things that we've just instead of coming into a church and saying, hey, here's all the things that you have to do, they want, it's like we just we just need to just go Yeah, church leaders. It's not like they're sitting around twelve learned thumbs wondering what they're going.
Speaker 1: To do today.
Speaker 2: Like they they've got plans, they've got dreams, they've got visions, they've got programs and ministries that they want to run. So you got to step in there and say, hey, this is important and we need you to advocate, but I need to quickly get this off your plate, right, And so our strategy has been that we feel like has worked, is to try to lower the bar to say how simple can we make this? And for churches, we say, hey, can you give us a person that we can interact with because you're the pastor you're busy, who is who's the best person at your church for us to begin dialoguing with to start a conversation, because we're not going to be a traveling salesman and give you a vision that we don't want to walk alongside you to fulfill. And so our first strategy is just give us a person. If you give us a person, we're in we're going to play damn right. And it's and it's kind of like this, I brought some props, okay, and this actually is a really great place and a prop But like, have you ever seen one of these? No, do you know what this is? It's a ball, it's a ball. Do you know what kind of ball it is?
Speaker 1: It's a ball with holes?
Speaker 2: Ball with holes. So this is actually a takra ball. They play this in Thailand. Okay, and what do you do? What would the game look like with that ball? With that ball? What would be your guest.
Speaker 1: Jugg it and kick it around each other?
Speaker 2: Actually, you're right, yeah, so they you can play it like volleyball like a kind of like, but these guys, actually old guys will like like do a overhand like hit like in tennis, but with their feet and hit it over a volleyball net. It's actually fascinating.
Speaker 1: I've seen that there's a volleyball that a volleyball, volleyball with the feet with.
Speaker 2: This with that, that would be the simple version, and there's other varieties of this. But what I love about this soccer ball is like we would we love to travel. They would throw this out in the park and anybody and everybody would just kick this around, right, old people, young people like it. Just it's simple, right, Like it's a it's a simple way. Sound So there's that's that's kind of like a cheaper version. I didn't bring in the taj mahal of, but he kind of developed some tenacity. But even like this ball, you know what that ball is. I've never held one of these in my hand highlight.
Speaker 1: It's not a handball. And what look like.
Speaker 2: Two point four billion people play with this ball.
Speaker 1: That's very one, not that very one. It's not it's not high I all right. You wouldn't kick this, you wouldn't hit it with your hands. It's too hard. So squash, no, squashes a little? Or is it cricket?
Speaker 2: It's cricket. That's a cricket ball. I have never held. Nobody's ever taught me how to play cricket.
Speaker 1: I guess it. Finally, did you know it?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know the rules of cricket. It took this day. I like I but like billions of people play cricket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a cricket ball.
Speaker 2: With this story, all right, how would we learn to play cricket?
Speaker 1: Well, you gotta have a ball.
Speaker 2: You gotta have a ball with other people who play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it. And to me that you're trying to get the one person that church to hang out with people who do it and just learn.
Speaker 2: And just learn. You're you're not going to be the best cricket player or talk player the first time yet, Tacra. I think it's I think it's how you say it, Tacra. Th you have plenty of people, yeah, yeah, and so I think it's that simple. But it's also that complex, right, Like if you look at professionals that we all fell stadiums to go watch and you try to compete with their athleticism, it's off the charts. But the games as simple as me and my daughter were in the backyard. They're on the football round all right, are we playing football?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean not football, but playing and there's a pathway there, right. So I think that's the work of mobilization. That's what we're trying to do, is to get more people in the game, and then a development league so that we've got enough folks with the experiences when they're facing the problem in the community that's that three hundred and fifty pounds, you know, minement, they know what to do with it.
Speaker 1: I love it. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: I think you travel around a lot and around the state, and it seems like you're just from your on your website, you have like a ton of community meetings. Yeah, Like what are those community meetings? Or like how are you talking to churches? Like what message actually gets them to move? Like what's your your pitch?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I actually assumed it was like the head pastor going yeah, I'll give you something if you promise you're gonna give me someone, if you're gonna leave me alone, I gotta I mean, honestly, that feels like that works. Yeah. I mean somebody comes to me at my company and says, this is a thing that you need to do, and I'm like, yeah, I do, but I'll have tim It's just give me somebody and I'll leave you alone. Yeah, I'm all over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, if I'm self right, And so I think part of the part of the pitch with care Portal, what I love about care Portal is it's one of the easiest asks, so easy. So when and if and how you want to serve right, like what and what I also love is it's one of those opportunities that I can check some other boxes, like I can take my kids and my wife with me, right, Like we can do this with my group of guys from my small group, right, I can also mobilize people from the community because they get it. It's not just like, hey, go serve a youth camp where we're singing Kumbaya and well.
Speaker 1: I guess that's part of the pitch of the churches too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. So this is a tool that you can use to be relevant in your community, to partner with your community in a real way. And everybody gets it, right, everybody gets the work that's happening through this. It's important. And so I've seen folks that theologically probably would never do anything together, and they'll do care portal together. Right, They'll they'll they'll partner together. So then here's what's crazy is when we start playing together, we start talking and there's actually some relationship that's and then it's like, okay, how do we organize this, right, like, how do we invite more people? Well, then that that's the next level. It's no longer playing catch. It's hey, we're gonna have a game. And that game requires some date and some time and some rules and some structure and some systems. And so for us, that turns into what we call a community gathering, our community coalition or service club. Right, there's some organization that begins to happen because what we recognize is, man, if we could combine our efforts and our skills, which are all unique and different, we could do more together than what we could do on our own. And so it starts with people learning, getting excited about playing, and then then connecting those people together. And we call it the connection of getter Donners. You know, like we you know, like we don't want the pastors, right, we don't want the talkers visionaries. We want the getter donners. Because the getner donners, when you put them the normal folks, when you put them in a room, gets done right. Like it's so beautiful to watch, you know. I have a woman named Kay Leslie that's one of our church leaders. And Kay is a retired former foster parent, but she has some autoimmune different medical challenges that sometimes keep her from even going to church. And she's our primary care portal person at her church faith Unit Methodist and Tulsa. And she doesn't use all the bells and whistles of the technology, but she literally I think I think even literally Kay would probably hate me for even say this, but like a rolodex. Right, Like she sees a need and she calls up a church member and says, hey, I think you'd be really good at this. Right. She is quarterbacking, calling the plays of mobilization, and she's getting people involved through an invitation.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's the lost art is the invitation of hey, come with me, right. I mean, church leaders just say hey, come, come come with me to church. That's the best way you get somebody to come to your church is and invite him to come with you.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: In the same way for service, it's an invitation to say come see this, come do this, come play. Right. And so one of our big strategies is community gatherings. And then again we got to have some point leadership. We've got to develop some structure so that they're you know, going the right direction. And that's work because people are work right. People are always complicated. But that's also what brings the greatest joy to this work is relationships. A young man named Michael Whitzman that I've got to be a small part of his life, came to my life at nineteen, and Michael's got a complicated story where he was and foster care was adopted, has a broken relationship with his adoptive family. But Michael would say, it's relationships that brought brokenness in his life, and it's only relationships that are going to bring healing and restoration. And so, Michael, one of the beautiful things about Michael is he has sought out intentionally relationships as a kid that had a lot of brokenness in his history. And now he doesn't have one family, He's got dozens of families and multiple cities that I've loved him and supported him. And titles are complicated, right, But yet what I hope Michael knows, and I think what Michael would say today is I've got the backing of people of relationships because of that connection. And Michael just got a job working in DC as a policy advisor for one of our government agencies. And he has been super resilient now as a late twenty something that you know, fractured and broken relationships, but yet he continued to show up and he continued at the opportunity to learn and participate connect and that's what really matters. And so it's got to happen in communities. Connection and relationships got to happen. It can't just be a platform or a system or a tool. It's got to happen through people.
Speaker 1: It's that that's kind of a good segue to what I was kind of asking, which is, you know, care portal obviously beats tangible needs, but it can also enable these relationships. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so every we call it meaningful connections that happen on care portal. So I got a picture from one of our very first sweet ladies that jumped in on care portal ten years ago, and she met a family through delivering a bus pass to them at a gas station. That bus pass turned into a friendship. And I just got a picture of this last week for it this kid's graduation, right, like ten years of relationship that happened originally through an email.
Speaker 1: For a tangible bus pass that led to a decade of a relationship.
Speaker 2: Right, And I don't know the full story, right, there's there's not yours, rich, He's got another person who cares about him in his life.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's a win, right, And she cheering from mom, not just kid.
Speaker 1: How about the woman who gave the bus pass, who was invited to the Skits graduation for her?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right, And that's what I would say about my relationship with Michael, My life has been so enrich And I'd say you would say the same thing about these young men that you've invested in. We're encouraged by we're challenged, challenged by their resiliency, their progress. Like your life gets better from being in the game.
Speaker 1: It does, it does.
Speaker 3: You were also telling me the other day you can also upload a relationship need on the platform too. Can you talk about that because I was completely clueless about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so care portal, we believe in a reality that we can advocate for things other than stuff on care Portal. But what we also know is getting people to give up their time as actually the hottest commodity. We all have a limited supply of time, so stuff we can get more of time. We can't asking somebody to give up their family as like the golden ticket. But this in between time mobilization is really really hard. To ask somebody to be a coach of a football team, that's a that's a freaking big ask, right, But even to get somebody to commit to mentoring a kid an hour a week some for some families, that's that's a huge ask when they're already overwhelmed. So what we recognize is you've got to have a bigger pool of people to pull from to be successful in pulling people in for time mobilization. But careful has an option for that. So in Oklahoma we actually recruit mentors for schools, mentors for foster youth. We also have a couple of statewide entities that review child welfare cases, so for the people that don't like kids, there's actually an opportunity for them to jump in and be helpful to mediators. You know, there's lots of ways to even events. You know, one time event is an easy place to invite somebody to initially participate. But we know the life chain happens for all of us when we have quantity of time, because it's in quantity of time that the beautiful thing of quality time takes place. And so if we're not willing to give some quantity, very rarely do we ever get to experience those light bulb moments because they're typically not fabricated, manufactured right. They happen organically, and they happen organically through other organic things like trust and friendship. You know that only happens time, and so we're all constantly advocating for people to because we recognize that until they meet somebody with skin on, it's a number, it's a statistic, it's this you know, not real thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that also leads to people having empathy for a situation and thinking that, wow, you know, I'll really feel bad for that for them, somebody should do something as if that sentiment yeah matters and cinement yeah doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is there is a way to mobilize businesses as you do churches?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how's that look?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, I mean I think business are the greatest resource. They are the resource hub, right, they are the economic generator.
Speaker 1: Well just about everybody who's in church has been involved in any businesses.
Speaker 2: So we we love to raise We call them in Careportal land champions. So there's a there's a role actually on care Portal for businesses, but there's a role in the community for businesses as employers. You know, I think giving opportunities to folks that maybe aren't quite job ready to find pathways again. Development League is really really a big deal, especially kids from our places and families that have maybe difficult situations, whether they be a foster family, you're giving them a little bit of extra leave when they take in a new placement. Like that's I mean, some companies have policies not just for when somebody has a new child, but when somebody brings in a foster family that they get some PTO for that, right, Like that's an approved at least an approved PTO thing. So that's one way that your business can be more friendly to folks that are really trying to make a difference in your community.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 2: You know, one of our partners in Oklahoma City is Pizza Hut. They give pizzas and food is great gifts in every scenario, the welcome gift in every scenario. And so they put pizzas into the office because in the state of Oklahoma, stipends and reimbursements and gift cards and all that are so complicated to manage that if a worker can just say, Hey, I got a kid in the office and they've just come from a meth lab bust and they're traumatized and we're traumatized, and I can have a pizza delivered here, hot fresh to the office for this kid. Game changer, right, So Pizza hu'ts donated pizzas there and our shelter even also when a new foster family welcomes a kid. We've we've been able to give out some food coupons so that that foster family could order a pizza when that kid comes home.
Speaker 1: Right, show you out soliciting businesses.
Speaker 2: And yeah, trying is with the time that we got.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah I understand, but yeah same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on how and we're we would love to be creative with them, like what do you have that you want to leverage and let's leverage that together. And if it's not with one one one, who can we partner you with? Right now, we have a company called bug Bros. That does termination services. So we have a lot of situations that we run into in child welfare where there's roaches or there's bed bugs, and especially beg bug treatment is that's a big one. It's a big one. It's so expensive, it's so prevalent with families that are at risk, and it impacts everybody that's involved. It becomes a really challenge. So what's awesome? I think every business owner wants to give back. I just I'm just going to believe that inherently about business owners. It's not all about profit, right, It's not until you know some business owners, you don't recognize that all of us have things that we want to give back, We want to be a part of making things better. But I think the challenge is we recognize we can't give everything away. And so I think one of the cool opportunities through care Portal is again the business can choose when and if they give versus just Carplank, you know, give all the time. And so I think jumping in and being intentional about their generosity or partner intentionally with one of those nonprofit epicenters of need is a great way for businesses to Alina.
Speaker 1: There's this resource on your website titled twenty ways to support foster families Small things to large things. Mention a few of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my favorite. I mean there's some foster families that are a little particular about this, but go mother lawn.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, that's a big don't like.
Speaker 2: Don't like if you think you can get away with you in relationship, like we don't even ask, just show up, Just show up, right, Like, just show up, take care of it. Like I think for a lot of times all of us feel weird about asking for stuff.
Speaker 1: I think that is you know, that's that's a really good point. I think a lot of people, just even when they're in the most dire circumstances heat asking for a credit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I would I would say the same thing about your neighbor that just had a baby. Yeah, right, Like we like you don't need to be weird about this servant foster. It's what we should be doing with our neighbors. The same way. It's like, hey, you got some extra eggs, Drop some eggs off, got a cast roll and you can make a little extra drop it Like as you go, what are the acts of kindness through your extra that you can kind of extend your tent sticks out and say, you know what, I'm gonna give a little bit. I have extra right, And so if you've got extra time, or you've got an extra seat in your van to take a kid to the park or to the playground, to give that foster family a break.
Speaker 1: That's the one the one that I think about the most in supporting foster family. Certainly food and gifts and everything else, but for a mother and a father to be able to go to dinner and a movie for four hours without some kids screaming at them over something that Lisa and I had four kids in four years and when, and we didn't have any money, so we couldn't even afford a babysitter because a babysitter for four kids, Yeah, that was expensive that we wouldn't have any money to go eat. And on occasion one of our parents would buck up and give us a night.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you how refreshed our relationship was and our pro strong children was with just a little respite. Do you not think that's a huge sea foster family, Just give them a break and education wise, go tock Applebee's and catch a foot.
Speaker 2: Every every state has a thing called the pre Parenting Act that they interpret in some way. And what that means is for a certain amount of time, you can watch somebody else's foster children because they know you and you know them, and there's trust for a period of time without any certification because we're friends, like a night, like a night or a day, right. Oklahoma's actually interpreted it for up to seventy two hours, right, so like a weekend. So and the goal of that was to make things normal for kids. So if I've got a young teen that wants to go spend the night or go to a camp, everybody doesn't have to be foster family. Rightly, I trust that youth pastor, I trust this church and their policies, or I trust this friend with my biological kids. So why can't I trust them. I'm the one liable as a foster parent. Why can't I trust them with my foster children? So that is huge. And then the other thing I'd say is really huge is you know some families that have some gumption that would say, hey, even when your kid is sick and you're gonna have to miss another day of work, set up to us, right like, you can call us like you, We'll do the harder things even with you, right like when when there's a blow up, blowout, like please call us or send them over or right like like at times that's the really heavy lifting.
Speaker 1: You mean, being a neighbor, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: What is wrong with but especially especially post COVID right like, oh he's got the sniffles, we're out, I know, but I just know like he's running one hundred fever. Yeah, bring them over.
Speaker 1: I just think back to when I grew up, literally the neighbors around we didn't come up with anything, and our neighbors didn't have anything. But if my mom was gone or needed something or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's right, Can I go unto the store? Yeah, they wouldn't, they wouldn't ask, they just do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was it was that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's what we're all dreaming about. And that's actually I think the secret sauce. And and here's the other thing I would say too, is whatever we can do to decouple institutionalization. And here's what I mean by that. Our way that we solve problems is we stick all the poor people in one part of town, right, and it makes things really complicated instead of spreading it out right. And so I think in the same deal is how do we how do we micro enterprise service where it's okay, if you serve two families this month, great, We're going to celebrate that just as much as the fifty thousand backpacks delivered, right, because everybody doing something is actually what makes it easy. Right.
Speaker 1: You just basically stated in a different way the entire purpose of an army and normal folks, that's it. Do what you can where you can, and you don't have to be part of some massive thing.
Speaker 2: And it's actually better that way.
Speaker 1: It actually is right because it goes back to the relationships. We're army, normal folks. Every time we interview somebody, we're celebrating them and their story, and we want that story to be entertaining but inspiring, and hopefully somebody's in Oklahoma listening today and they join your army. Come on, right, So we're celebrating kind of your army. Right, tell me a couple of heroes. Tell me a couple of your heroes inside your organization. Let our listeners know about the normal folks who revealed themselves to be heroes inside the work that you're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I make a chance to take adopt to celebrate them.
Speaker 2: I mean to the thirty five hundred foster families that we have in our state. You know, we get the chance to get to know them and walk with them and encourage them their their heroes. But I mean some of my staff on my team, to those that you know work part time for us. You know, I've got several staff that are adoptive and foster parents, and they themselves at time to have some really really hard stuff as foster parents. But yet they're going out there and saying, hey, it's worth it. You know, it's worth it to jump in. And so and in the Misty Seals on my team to bree Cruise. You know, these these ladies, Genthalbert, are ladies that are champions like they are advocates, fierce advocates for the biological family. You know, that's trying to the kids that are in their care, to the kids that are in the community. To I would shout out our DHS leadership, our government leadership.
Speaker 1: I love that you ye have that relationship though.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, I mean our our new Director of Child Welfare, Michael Williams is an all star. I just tremendously respect his heart who he is to that leadership team, to the frontline case workers. You know, I think of people like Natalie Love and Beth pass More that are part of our government DHS team that are out there doing the work, and they're they're trying to get people to get involved, even though they know what they're asking them to do is going to be complicated, it's going to be difficult, it going to be hard. They're there. It's not a job for them, it's a calling for them. And our Michael Williams would even say that our director, he would say this is a sacred work. Getting to step into the lives of children and families maybe in some of their worst days. That's holy ground and and it's and it's uh something that should be approached with a sense of awe, not not trite answers and solutions. It's like, hey, God, what do you want to do here? And we recognize this as wholly and potentially restorative and transformational and generations of impact could come from that. That should make us kind of go okay, like turn our listening ears on before we just start, you know, rattling off what we think is the right answer.
Speaker 1: Alex says, we're thinking about doing some work together. I honestly have no idea what you guys are up to. You want to tell me what it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like one, we want to mobilize more people, you know, together we you know, it's fun when you find people that are running the same direction as you. And so if you can figure out how to partner and collaborate together, and so as you guys rally folks in clubs, you know, in this army of noble normal folk life, we're of the same vein, right like, we we want to do that in Oklahoma. And the more the merrier, I think the more hands are helpful, and so as we can pull together some clubs, leverage the sandbox that's already been created.
Speaker 1: There's no reason there's not a club in Oklahoma City. I mean honestly, Oklahoma City is or Tulsa or both are perfect license for that.
Speaker 2: I hope y'all pull that you can figure that out. A million people in both of those metros, surely we can find some clubs.
Speaker 1: Right, and you know, part of what those clubs do as each club kind of choose its own thing, part of the project moment.
Speaker 2: That back to this idea that you kind of were even alluding to. These these things are all interconnected, they are, right, I mean family a family, to schools, to child welfare, to criminal justice reform, to mental health, the addiction right, like it's a job and economics, right, I mean, like there's so.
Speaker 1: Much data that if you pay attention to it, it all overlaps, it all connects, reading all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in the same the same way that like we used to talk about this at our church, like if there's a piece of trash in the hallway in the church, who's trash? Is it to be every members? Right? Like, how do we pass on ownership to recognize for all of us, Hey, I like I'm the closest one. It should be the first one to pick it up. Right. It's it's not rocket science to figure out where I should help when I should help. Start with your family, start with your neighborhood, Start in your community, and look for those pathways to jump in. But don't just walk by that be like, that's not my that's not my problem.
Speaker 1: You know, I was going to ask you, what would you tell our listeners about service? But I think you just said it it's it's all our problem because if it's you know, I envisioned what you were saying, And if I was walking around in church and there was a cup spilled over the floor, I would have absolutely been over pick it up. If it was in my house, I would have been over picked up. Yeah, it was in my yard. I've been over picked up. Why is my society not identify with that? We need to bend over and pick up the things that need picking up? All right, that's a really good metaphor. I hadn't heard that either album.
Speaker 2: And I think the biggest challenge to that is time. Right, There's been studies on this as we get so maxed out, we get so burned out that we don't leave any margin to be intentional, and so it takes some intentionality to say, Okay, you know what, I've seen that squeaky door on my neighbor's fence for a long time. She could use some hell with that.
Speaker 1: You know. One of my old coaches used to say, quit wine and complacencies for retirement, And now, at fifty eight years old, I'm starting to wonder about what is this retirement people talk about because I don't see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just more time to be intentional with it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly right. Or do I believe in it?
Speaker 3: I like the Ken Blanchard line that you don't retire, you refire into something else.
Speaker 1: There you you have a radical vision of wanting to see families waiting on children instead of children waiting on families, And you made a really good point. I would have never thought we would have started Project Oneman one. Why could not? Why would not dream of having to see families waiting on children instead of children waiting on families. I have no doubt that if your passion is indi indicator of your future success, maybe Oklahoma will be the first state to do that. Chris Campbell, Everybody's thatch a director of one one one Project, Broken Arrow, Klahoma, which is basically Tulsa. Dude, thanks for coming to spend an afternoon with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for your avsking your voice, and let's raise up some more people to get in the game.
Speaker 1: I love it. Let's get a club going in Oklahma City or Tulsa somewhere. All right, buddy, thank you and thank you for joining us this week. If Chris Campbell has inspired you in general, or better yet, to take action by getting involved with care Portal, the one one one Project, starting something like it in your community, or something else entirely, let me know. I really do want to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill at normal folks dot us, and I'm telling you guys, I'll respond. If you enjoyed this episode, share with friends, share it on social, subscribe to the podcast wherever you're watching or listening to it from Rate it, review it, and give us five stars. Join the Army at normalfolks dot org, Join or start one of our local service gloves. Take the ten level challenge by our merch any and all of these things that will help us grow an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Corney. Until next time, do what you can