Speaker 1: Welcome to Out of Money. I'm Joel, and today I'm talking about parenting like a Millionaire with Christy and Bryce from Millennial Revolution. Okay, I don't know it's harder parenting or the cost of parenthood. Becoming a dad has been one of the greatest adventures of my life. It's taught me a lot about myself, It's forced me to grow up in some ways I probably needed to, and it's given me three additional best buds who bring joy, purpose and chaos into my everyday life. But parenthood today it feels complicated. Kids, at least in many circles, seem less celebrated than they once were, and then financially while raising a family can feel more daunting than ever. Between housing, childcare activities, the endless activities, and all the other expenses that somehow multiply overnight, a lot of parents are asking how do we make this work? And that's why I wanted to bring Christy and Bryce a Millennial Revolution on the show. They've just written a really practical new book, parent Like a Millionaire without being one, about raising kids thoughtfully and confidently without needing a seven figure bank account. Christy and Bryce, thank you for coming on the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having us roll.
Speaker 1: Hi, Glad you're here. Glad you're here. Okay, So first question I ask everybody who comes on the show is what they like to splurge on wist their craft beer equivalent. The boring answers obviously travel. I know you guys travel, but you don't spend much money traveling. So what is it that you do spend wildly on, maybe while you're also being thoughtful in saving investing for your future.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think before kids, it used to be eating out as well. I mean there were like we did value going out to like next restaurants every now and then, like you know, splurging on things that we value and not just like the cheapest possible thing. Now, after we've had our kid, it seems to have change. I think it's more towards what for him, it's splurting on him rather than aren't on ourselves. I guess for him, I think it's probably still related to travel, but a different sense, like travel to be more convenient and more comfortable. So for example, we used to just like get off a flight and then go on a bus and then go to like a cheap hotel, but now with him, it's pretty impossible, and you have to worry about nap times. You don't want him to be too cranky. So now we do splurge on you know, if we need to get an expensive hotel that is specifically in the airport without us having to travel anywhere, and we could have gotten a way cheaper hotel, but for the sake of our son and having him be able to go to sleep right after like a red eye flight, that's something that we would splurge on. So comfort will travel with our son, which is something that we would have never considered before.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Before we would just yeah, yeah, before we just be like, suck.
Speaker 5: It up and just just just just just figure out how to two hund bucks by doing that. Now, Okay, there's a difference being travel and enjoyable travel, and that's that even if you have to pay more money for that is like, it's better if it's enjoyable because you want to do it more and he'll have a good time.
Speaker 1: When it's your own discomfort, it's one thing, and when it's the discomfort of your kid, it's another. And then guess what their discomfort impacts your comfort level? Yes, yeah, yes, probably what they for money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be your problem regardless, sooner or later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly. You still got to put up with it. Okay, we seem like a meaningful decline in birth rates across the developed world in your estimation, What role does money play in the fact that people are having fewer babies right now?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely huge. I think one of the articles that scares people is the statistics that came out of the USDA number which when you adjust it for inflation, it costs three hundred thousand dollars per kid to raise them to the age of eighteen on average, on.
Speaker 1: Average, and this and how accurate is that headline?
Speaker 2: So what I discovered is the headline scares everyone. But what people don't realize is that it's actually when you break down the specifics and you look at it, that that number is an average and it changes depending on how much how high your salary is. So that's for the average salary, but if you have a lower salary or if you have a higher salary, it's higher than that number or lower than that number, which is interesting if you think about it, because if you get a raise, but then all of a sudden, your cost of raising a kid goes up. Does that mean the kid suddenly became more expensive because you've got to raise or is this just another lifestyle inflation that happens as a result of you know, you have more money now, so you're thinking, okay, well I might as well spend it on extra I don't know, like activities or upgrading going to private school or something that is not absolutely necessary. But you think, hey, this is you know, I got to keep up with the Joneses family style. So there's some additional factor that causes that spending to go up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the when we break down what if we break down in our book, is that there is a relatively low fixed cost of like Okay, you have to feed your gid, you have to clothe your kid, you have to get him like you have to give them health care and all this kind of stuff. But then there's a there's quite a wide range of variable costs that can that are layered on top of that. And those kinds of costs are choice are choices that the parents make, and you don't have to judge the pairents of what choices they can make or not make. But the point is you do have the option of that, and that alleviates I think a lot of people's fears of like, oh my god, this kid is going to cost much.
Speaker 4: Kids can cost a lot, but they don't have to.
Speaker 1: Well, in the big part of it has to be what we deem necessary in the modern American era in Canadian area y'all are in Canada. It's what we think is a necessity versus what actually is. I mean, I'm like reading a lot of Western fiction right now and growing up on the farm in the American diaspora right in Kansas or or something like that, or Montana. It just didn't involve a lot of perks. It didn't involve buying a lot of stuff, and families had a ton of kids often to help out, like on the farm. So is part of it just like what we have in some ways, I'm really clad that I'm not growing up on a farm in Iowa or raising my kids or that's not the lifestyle we want to lead. And we have a lot more optionality and choice in twenty twenty six, which is cool, But has that also led to an inability to think that we can have kids without spending a fortune?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's the big baby industrial complex that we like to call like baby industrial complex that we like to call Big Baby in the book. And what happens is as soon as you get pregnant, because you have to search about prenatal classes, you have to search for diapers. As soon as that happens, it's almost like they're spying on what we call it, like spying on my uterus immediately. Why is it that I'm getting all these ads for stroller expensive strollers, like one thousand dollars strollers, and like baby carriers and all these name brand items, and you know, you have to give them the best formula. It has to have like no sugar, and don't give them similar because that's full of sugar and it's gonna be bad for them. It's just constantly being bombarded. Parents get constantly bombarded with all these things that they need to buy because spending more money on your kid equals love. That's actually one of the best marketing ploys because it helps it makes you feel guilty that you're not spending enough money on them. So Big Baby is definitely a big factor, and it's much harder to fight against it because there's so social media. There's so many influencers trying to sell you things. There's a lot of experts saying like this is safe and that's not safe, and some of it is absolutely true, but some of it is a little bit too exaggerated. So it's kind of hard to think for yourself when you're bombarded from all these different directions about which products are best for your kids, especially in the first few years of life when you have the most baby gear, and it doesn't really have to be this way. One of the things I realized that we like to call how to rent baby gear for Free, is that you don't have to buy all these things new. You can buy it secondhand and then sell it secondhand. And that's one of the ways to ride the depreciation curve, because baby gear is one of the things that depreciate faster than anything, faster than electronics, faster than cars. And a lot of the reason is because babies outgrow gear very quickly, and a lot of the times you buy this fancy crib and you're like, oh, I'm going to use this a really long time, or bascinet, and then my son the one that I bought it was it's like a Halo three sixty, which is one of these basinets that helps when you have a c section, so that you don't have to reach down. You can like push down part of the basinet and reach your baby easily. He outgrew that in two months. And the new price for this bacinet is three hundred dollars. I got it off Facebook marketplace for thirty five dollars, and then I was able to sell it for sixty five dollars because there were so many people asking for that and it was way underprice.
Speaker 4: You flip that baby, yeah, yeah, yeah, we're working a profit off of that.
Speaker 5: What we actually, what we realize is that if like it's like there isn't there is an instinct to try to get stuff as cheaply as possible if you are.
Speaker 3: Really looking out for your budget.
Speaker 5: But when it comes to baby gear, it's the opposite instinct that works, which is you want to find high end, name brand baby gear that will hold its value and you want to buy that, and you want to find ones that are like, you know, used for like less than a year kind of thing, and you obviously want to make.
Speaker 3: Sure that it's safe.
Speaker 5: There's you know, we recommend that you always look for if there's recall notices for certain for certain times, like cribs for example, that that's really important that you just make sure that there's no like real that they haven't found any problems with it. But if you can do that, then because the secondary market is so because the secondary market for those items is so broad and liquid, you can buy and sell into the same market and just basically just rent it for just the tiny slice of time that you're using that gear and then just release it back into the wild so that somebody else can enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, you just have to get over that belief that buying the new the new items, spending more money equates to you being a better parent, love and your kid.
Speaker 3: More, exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: And that's and that's just a and that is I had to, I had to, you know, my head off to all those genius marketers who came up with that. It's like, there's the two marketing messages that that that we constantly have.
Speaker 3: To fight against.
Speaker 5: Is one is real estate is never a bad deal because it not making more because you're a loser if you rent. And the second is spending more money means you love your kid more. Those are genius, like whoever came up with those things, just like, nah, right, it's not true, but it's but it's but it's very difficult to push back on them. But if you are successfully able to do that, then a lot of these assumptions that we all kind of have, like you know, baby gear is supposed to be expensive, it turns out that they don't have to be true at all.
Speaker 1: I feel like you guys are also pushing back against a kind of a cultural narrative that having kids is just for rich people, which it never used to be, Like for as long as I've remembered, like that's never been a thing, but it seems like just in the last five five or so years that's kind of become. There's there's a new focus on this. I mentioned it actually last week in an interview because my guest had seven has seven kids, and I was asking if he had seen that as like a trope or and he was like, no, I actually, I actually I haven't even seen that. But I feel like I've seen a lot of young people being like, man, if you can have four plus kids, you're rich, Like well done, that's the new status symbol instead of driving the fancy car, Is that overblown. I'm curious to hear your take. Is that just like a nihilistic take from young people who aren't sure that they want to have kids, or do you feel like having a kid? No, it is kind of like a success symbol at this point because you got to have the money to be able to pay for that baby.
Speaker 2: Yes or no, I will say there's definitely systemic issues. For example, daycare is very, very expensive, and you have to be very strategic about it. I mean, we can't talk about having kids without talking about daycare. But the thing is, what people don't realize is that daycare is not a forever cost. But when you're a parent for the first time, it scares you when you get that big bill and you were thinking, oh my god, I'm like, this is like the cost of a mortgage if I have multiple kids, and how am I going to be able to afford this? And you're thinking about this forever? But really, daycare is for five years until they go to public school. They go to kindergarten, and it's also graduated in that as your kid gets older at different stages in their life, it becomes less expensive. So, for example, from zero to eighteen months because the caregiver ratio. You have to have a higher number of caregivers per kid because they're much younger and they have higher needs. It's more expensive in the beginning, and it kind of levels off later on because then you don't need as many caregivers per child. So when you get to the age of two and a half, for our kid, it's like the ratio drops from four kids per one caregiver to six or eight kids per one caregivers. That makes it more less expensive for centers to run, and then it reduces your cost. So there's like a scale for the cost that is not obvious when you first look into daycare costs. There's also hybrid options for childcare. That's something that people can look into. So for example, one of the things that we used is a co working space that is combined with daycare. And this was not really that popular at all until the pandemic. So pandemic created a lot of intuitive, like new ways for childcare and to take care of kids that didn't exist before. So this one is good for people who have more of a like flexible work schedule in which they don't have to pay for an entire year. They can just pay for childcare whenever they need it. So for example, if you're a creator, like an influencer or something like that, who has chunks of time, I need a month in which I need childcare, and then I can take a month off and then like a few days here a week. So lets you customize and choose how much you want to pay per hour rather than the entire year. And then in addition to that, geographic arbitrage has also opened up ways to basically do world schooling with kids. One of the things we did was we traveled in Spain for three months and we found daycare for our sun and the cost was significantly lower, which kind of blew my mind because the average cost in the States per day for childcare is about eighty US dollars per day. We looked in Spain it was thirty six US dollars per day. I actually thought that was a typo at first, because I said, you mean thirty six per hour, and then they said, no, the entire day and includes food. And then they have they have chefs on site, they have a doctor, they have a nurse, they have a childs psychiatrist. And I was just like, what, why are we paying so much? Money in North America, and this is Spain. Like it's not Mexico, it's not Thailand, right, it's Spain.
Speaker 3: Right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just a it's a British run international daycare in Valencia. So there's different ways to combine, like hybrid solutions for childcare that didn't exist before. And even if you don't have the flexibility in your job and you're just really scared about this childcare cost, for people who are thinking about having kids, know that it is not a forever cost and it is a scale depending on how old your child is. As they need less care because they become more independent, the ratios get better and it becomes less expensive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So to go back to original question, you know this this is uh, it absolutely is like a trope that like I haven't heard so much that children are like a success symbol or anything like that, but I definitely do hear a lot of like I can better take care of myself. They're like, there's no way I can afford to have kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, like it's like the income instability that that we are facing now is much much worse than than it used to be when we were you know, when we were graduating and looking for jobs. Now AI is kind of like now there's so much like there's so much flux in all these different industries, and there's so much like change that's happening in which people are people and in entire industries are shedding jobs like crazy that people are rightfully asking, I can't, like, how can I afford to have kids if we if we can't, if we can't depend on our jobs, which is you know, kind of why we wrote this book because we wanted to show, hey, there are knobs that you can turn, daycare being one of the one of the most important ones.
Speaker 1: One of the other knobs you highlight in the book is the when it comes to the space we live in and people assume having got to start looking for that upgraded apartment, you know, and you guys have stayed in a one bedroom apartment, right, is there just is there too much pressure to upgrade living conditions, up increase your home size, which adds a lot of cost to the monthly budget. I mean, that's usually the number one line on them in people's in people's budget. And if you can keep that smaller for longer, that's a good thing. Or people just feeling the pressure to upgrade even though they don't need to, Like having a baby doesn't necessitate.
Speaker 5: That, oh yeah when people have when as soon as people get pregnant, they start like shopping for a home, right, that kind of thing, and then they're going to go, well, I can't even rent anymore because you know, like that's so we were so we were living in a one bedroom apartment for the first two years of his life.
Speaker 4: We now upgraded to a three bedroom apartment.
Speaker 5: But we're still renting, right, I mean, like it's like there is a huge pressure to like buy once you become a once you become a parent, because there's this you know, siren song of like stability and you need, you know, the kids need a stable home and that kind of stuff, and renting as seen as an inherently unstable But what we what we've discovered is that if you're a strategic about the type of places that you rent, that can be just as stable or sometimes even more stable than a home that you buy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it makes sense to run the math, like it might make sense if you have enough kids that like buying is the correct solution, but it's it's better to actually do the math rather than just immediately assume I have a family, therefore I must have I must buy a house therefore to give them stability. Otherwise I'm a bad parent. So it's again that emotional pull of like you know comes from a right place, but it doesn't necessarily mean that's the best for your family. You need to stop in a way. And also people don't realize that in the very first two years of life, your kid does not need that much space at all, Like they're just a blog. They don't really take up that much space. And a lot of the times the recommendation is to co room, like not co sleep, but cod room for the first year because it's safer to avoid sudden infant death syndrome, so that you can actually watch for them at nighttime and take care of them. For me, I was breastfeeding, so it made it a lot easier that we were in the same room. If I had multiple rooms in the beginning, it wouldn't have many difference because I would have just been in his room breastfeeding him and at nighttime like sleeping next to him without being in the same bed. So there's a lot of nuance to that. When people are like, oh, you need to upgrade. Yes, you might need to later on, but it doesn't have to happen all at once. The first two years of life, they don't really take up that much space and they're not running around, so you don't really need like an extra room for their toys or playroom. It's a conscious choice. You can do that, but you don't actually have to. And I will say that the pressure to buy a home when you're a couple is nothing compared the pressure to buy a home when you're a family. That's next level pressure because there's always questions about like what about the school district, and like what about your friends, and what about the community. And the partment that we lived in, we had no problem building community, Like we went to the same playground as someone the other families where our kids met with their kids to hang out. There was a lot of public services around that we could go swimming with him and then other people's kids. The fact that we were renting instead of buying in that neighborhood made no difference whatsoever. And the place that we live in right now, it actually kind of feels even better as a rental because we have this common yard for all their kids to come play with. And on the weekends, he has all these built in friendships just from like other people in the building. When they hear him playing, they come out and they join him. And we bought like a bunch of shared toys that we could keep on our balcony and we bring it out and it's like six or seven kids that he likes to play with, and all these adults that we've made friends with just because we're sharing a backyard and our friends are getting our kids are getting along really well and hanging out together. So you don't absolutely necessarily have to buy a place. You can, but there are options, and it makes more sense to strategically think about it rather than just automatically default to the societal belief that once you have a family, you must buy a home.
Speaker 1: You mentioned briefly childcare as one of those costs that's been going up, and it's one hundred percent true, Like when you look at an inflation chart, like, hey, my smartphone and TV have gotten cheaper, but childcare and healthcare have gotten more expensive, and those are really expensive line items anyway, So in some ways, like there are increased costs that face people in twenty twenty six that maybe weren't nearly as difficult to cope with fifteen twenty thirty years ago. And I don't see any signs of that abating, like childcare costs going back to and becoming like Spain, at least here in North America, at least nothing that I've seen. Less maybe, like you know, Elon Musk's robots are created, you know, changing diapers or something like that. We'll see how that pans out. But one of the things you highlight in the book too, is that that idea of geographic arbitrage, even inside of the United States, how costs are not the same and in fact you can save a lot of money. Childcare is much cheaper in South Dakota, for instance, than it is in California. And how do you think then about because it's your loath to get people to move oftentimes, right, especially if they've got family close by, family can mean free childcare. But how should people think about the idea of actually it might be cheaper to raise a family if we move to another part of the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think they do have to evaluate. Yeah, like you said, it's not just pick up and move, even if they have a job that lesson be remote they do have to assess with or it makes sense to be close to family and all that. But I once again, child care costs are not forever, so it really does make sense to think about it, like from a long term perspective, like does this make sense for your family after childcare is over? If I'm just making that decision now because childcare is really expensive, and then I may not be making like going to the cheapest place for childcare, but then over the long term, I might be missing out on something. It's like an equation that is not just financially based. That's a very big part of it, but there's also like other factors to consider, So I would look I would suggest that people look at it from like a big picture point of view, look at the financial piece, and then look at what's best for your family, and look at whether you have a village there or not, because like you said, that can reduce childcare costs significantly. And then also factor in, like I said, the fact that when they get older, they're going to need less childcare as time goes on. It's not just like the same fixed cost the entire time. And yeah, like see if there is any other place that has multiple factors that you would be happy with, or just where if you have to buy the bullet and you have to stay where you are because it's too much effort to move your entire family. Know that childcare cost is not forever, and eventually you'll be able to make up that cost from your entire lifetime like lifetol in the entire lifetime career earnings.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like it's a similar discussion when especially let's say someone's having one of my buddies has four kids six and under, and that is the kind of time we're having a parent who stays home. Depending on a ton of different things, right, but like and every family is different, but that can be the most financially beneficial decision, right to forego one income, but to also save on a whole host of childcare expenses, bring your tax right down. Like, there's a whole bunch of things you're doing by having one parent stay at home. It's obviously not just a financial decision. But what kind of discussions do you think makes sense to have when couples are talking about, Hey, we're having kids, we're gonna have we're gonna have two or three over the course of a handful of years, should one should one parents stay home and be with the kids.
Speaker 5: It's important to kind of look at what the impact of that would be on like your lifetime earnings kind of thing, and not just over that and not just owing that over that difficult period of time in which you are having to deal with like multiple uh, multiple kids in daycare or and stuff like that. And that's because and that's because even if it is like especially if you have a career gap of like more than like a couple of years, it is difficult to kind of come out of the workforce and then come back into it. So you are giving up so you are giving up that earning potential going forward like basically for the next twenty years. So you do have to run so you do have to just whip up a spreadsheet and then kind of run the math on how that would be and how that would work. When you're talking about four kids with in the how are when you're talking about like more kids that are in that in that daycare range, the math does become more and more more and more dire for for daycare costs. Although that being said, when you have that many kids, you can scale. There are options that you can do. For example, hiring a nanny would make a lot more sense in paying daycare because daycare is per head versus a nanny would be just would not like it doesn't like for a nanny, nanny's cost doesn't don't double when you have two kids.
Speaker 1: Maybe nanny sharing with neighbors who have kids of a similar age. That's another way, right to reduce that cost of childcare too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, like a lot of a lot of childcare back in back in a kind of a less like city based or capitalist society was based off of It was based off of social capital. I mean, like Christie when she was growing up in a rural village in China, there were you know, there were childminders that were just that was a designated job in the in the village, and then people would drop off their people would drop off their kids with their neighbor's house and at their neighbor's house, and everyone would just kind of like watch each other's kids in kind of like this informal commune kind of style thing. When you commercialize that, we've kind of somewhat lost that, We kind of lost that sense of community in North America.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about Canada and America as well.
Speaker 5: Where we've basically we basically commercialized every every relationship and said I would do this for you if you pay me in that kind of thing. And that's where things get really really complicated and really really expensive. But if you were to kind of take some of that, say, take some of those lessons from the you know, a more social capital based bartering system, then there are agreements that you can come up with. For example, and nanny shares a great example of one in which you take hire one nanny and then you pull the kids from multi one or two families together wants to get to take more advantage of economies of scale. You can also do things like babysitting co ops where you know, a bunch of families like come up with an agreement that is like Okay, I'll watch your kid on Monday, and then you watch my kid on Tuesday, and then that kind of thing, so that people kind of share the share the labor amongst each other in a non commercialized way and more of like a barter system, more a vout your system. So there are ways of doing that. And if things get really expensive, I always kind of go look, look to see if there's kind of like a barter way, like like a bartering version of what you're trying to accomplish here, because because the situation that you are facing, odds are many other families that are right nearby you are also facing that same situation. If you pull your resources, these these problems become a lot easier to fix.
Speaker 2: I just want to mention even with nanny sharing, there's like three different flavors from what we from our experience. One is you could hire a nanny for multiple kids, so then for each kid it doesn't scale. It's not two x, it's maybe like five to ten dollars more per hour. Another way is nanny sharing where it's another family who only needs it two days a week and you need it three days a week, so you kind of have the nanny like you drop off your kid at their house on certain days and they drop the kid at your house, and the nanny is watching them on separate days depending on your work schedule. And then the third one that's really interesting is that you yourself become the nanny, so you're watching your kid, but then someone else brings their child and then you get paid to watch your watch someone else's child while also taking care of your own, So you're getting paid essentially watch your child.
Speaker 1: So even with nanny sharing, there's different feat the same.
Speaker 2: Time exactly while teaching them lessons of sharing and like basically it's like having a sibling, So there's different ways of nanny sharing as well. So there's actually so when people think about childcare, it's not just like daycare or nanny there's different flavors that people have come up with or maybe a combination of that, and then the babysitting co op that Brice was just mentioning, and then if the math works out, sometimes it makes sense to actually stay working even if your salary is being eaten up would have been, or your salary is being eaten up by daycare or childcare, because over the long term trajectory of your career, you'll be able to make up that money and more, because again daycare is not a forever cost. So there's actually quite a different, many different angles to look at this equation. It's not just like, Okay, I'm just going to show out this money and there's no other options. So I would advise like thinking about what's best for your family, thinking about whether it makes for you, it makes sense for you to stay in your career, So even if you don't want to sacrifice your career, you may not have to. The math may actually work in your favor, even though it doesn't seem like it in the beginning. And then if you want to consider nanny share, there's many different variety varieties of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, we're not here.
Speaker 5: We're not here to tell people, like what the right choices for their family because I have no idea.
Speaker 3: We're here to give people options because and a lot of people do options.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people don't realize how many different styles that and like how many different configurations of childcare and daycare and families that there are out there, and you can pick and choose the one that really makes no sense.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, that makes the no sense to you.
Speaker 1: And oftentimes you've seen one thing and you're or maybe two, like you just don't know the breadth of options that exist that could maybe give you fit your family better. So I think that's great. There's a lot more I want to get to with you, including what it looks like to become financially independent as parents. What is it like, what should our thought would be about generational wealth. I want to talk about those kind of concepts with y'all. Right after this our we're back from the break, still talking with Christy and Bryce. We're talking about what it looks like to parent and not maybe fall flat on your face financially at the same time. And I guess I'm curious to know your thoughts about let's start with generational wealth. I think this is such a there's even more pressure on parents now than ever to think about setting your kid up for success. And it's gone beyond just like getting your kid into a great college and thinking about that at the age of three, and now it's like, do I need to save and invest on their behalf so that they're a millionaire by the time you know, they're in their thirties or forties. I think there's especially in this personal finance podcast Realm, it can even add right to that sort of sense of obligation and duty that parents have when it comes to stuarding their own money, but also for the next generation. What do you guys think about that and what are your thoughts about building generational wealth for your child?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a delicate balance because one hand, you want them to be safe, you want them to not have to stress out about money, but you also don't want them to, you know, have a free ride in which they don't have to have any skin in the game, and then they don't really learn how to manage money. So no matter how much money you give to them, it'll just all of a sudden be spent rather than invested. One lesson that I found was very valuable that came from my parents, And this was out of necessity, not by choice. Just because I grew up poor and we didn't have a lot of money, was giving me the autonomy to make family money decisions. So, for example, my my parents could only afford a secondhand car, but because that was such an interest, Like once I learned about the depreciation of cars, it was such an interesting, like mathematical problem for me. I think I was around like ten at the time that I was looking through all these like auto trader magazines and trying to optimize for like gas, like optimizing for a like mileage, and like the age of the car and how much it costs, and like how long it's going to last, and how expensive insurance is and because I because they gave me the autonomy to pick a family car even though I was only ten, and they didn't say, oh, what the heck do you know like MOVESI well, the parents are doing the work once I found them a couple options and they're like, hey, that actually works, that we might actually buy this. You actually did the work to optimize the math on this. They actually bought the car.
Speaker 1: That family got a Lamborghini right exactly.
Speaker 4: What I think.
Speaker 2: It was like a Honda Civic or something like a very practical, practical That was the lame. I was super lame anyway, So I was very lame. No, I had nothing.
Speaker 4: I was very lame.
Speaker 2: I even picked the most safest color that was like good for insurance. And it was a very weird lame kid at ten. But because but because of that, that experience having autonomy to pick my family's car, I think that that was a very strong lesson that I took going forward, which is, hey, I you know this, finances are important and there is not an unlimited amount of money, and that I like what I think matters. So I think we're going to try that with our kid. Give him some autonomy to make decisions. For the family plan some of the like maybe help us take care of bills, maybe plan a family vacation. Maybe eventually if we need to buy a car, like help us buy the secondhand family car. Whatever it is that makes him feel valued and useful when it comes to financial decisions, I think that will help him manage any money going forward that we invest for him.
Speaker 1: Would Yeah, I mean, like it is it kind of like, are you guys taking more of the approach of like teach my kid to fish and not just catch the fish exactly. I mean, I'm sure it's in some ways, like saving up a little is not unwise, but like, man, there's just it's so pressure filled. I think for parents now we've just added even even more onto our shoulders. When and it's like, how am I going to be able to have a kid and build generational wealth for them while saving for my own retirement and said, well, you're just putting too much on your plate, And there's no you don't need You can take some of that off and still you know, and have a kid and this can be in a enjoyable experience.
Speaker 5: The goal, the goal of building generational wealth. While admirable, it like that is something that keeps us up at night, which is, you know, we could make our kid a millionaire tomorrow, but if we did, he would buy all the ice cream and then get diabetes and then like, you know, it's like, it's not this is one of those situations where it's like, I'm not I'm not convinced that this is something that's worth stressing out over because even if you like, because it's like, this is one of giving your kid generational wealth might be one of those things where you spend a lot of money and get a worse result. So I'm not at all convinced that that's like a worthwhile goal to pursue. We want to we want to reward like skill and skill with managing money rather than just hand them a whole bunch of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how important is passive income in the parent like a millionaire equation? You guys had done obviously a lot of what You've written a book right about saving and investing becoming millionaires. And and you know, Christy, last time we talked, you know, you you shared your story of growing up in poverty in rural China and and then just kind of man the overcoming those those trials of living in an immigrant family in Canada, I'm curious, like, as people who frontloaded the sacrifice in so many ways, your outliers right when it comes to to parenting, but having tons of financial resources because you work so dang hard in those early years. Yeah, how does the way you guys are living in parenting? What what can people learn from that, even if maybe they don't have a seven figure investment account right to tap to ease some of the stresses and pains of parenting.
Speaker 5: Sure, because what we discovered, what we realized that when we came parents, is that every parent, no matter how rich or poor they are, they're all all poor in the one resource that matters, which is time.
Speaker 2: We're all like time doesn't matter how much money you have, we're all time poor.
Speaker 1: As parents and sleep poor often.
Speaker 4: Too, sleep which is a function of that.
Speaker 5: So so passive income becomes really really important because because it allows you to kind of it allows you to free up time in your schedule that you would have to worry about, like like like working and building and working to pay for some expense in order to be more focused and actually think about what is best for the kid. But what I want to emphasize here is that that passive income is not something that you require a million dollars to have. Passive income is something that you can build in micro like blocks over over time. So one example that we'd love to that would like to tell is, you know, when you're a new parent, one of the expenses that are very visceral to you or diapers, uh so every unless you are using disposable not sorry, misusposable reusable diapers cloth diapers, which is like not not for me, thank you, but.
Speaker 1: I tried and I stopped at one point. We'll leave it there.
Speaker 3: We'll just move past that.
Speaker 5: But diapers is like a recurring cost that you have for the first you know, for the first three four years of the kid's life, until their party trained.
Speaker 3: But uh, if you can, but if you can, but imagine how cool.
Speaker 5: It would be if that cost was just eliminated from your life forever. You wouldn't have to worry about the cost of diapers. You wouldn't have to worry about the cost of diapers and ands. And we work out the math in the book. The investing enough money to passively pay for just that one cost is not as insurmountable as as people think. I think it's something like, uh, like maybe like a thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 5: But just if you were able to but if you're able to invest, if you're able to invest that in low cost index funds, just the same wins that we used to retire, you can you can start benefiting from this passive income like now, and you can do and just being able to take that one expense off your plate, the one thing that you no longer have to worry about is such like it's such like this, like weight lifted off your shoulders, because then you then you can take that time and then go and then look at and then worry about something else, right and then work on the next thing that you work on the next thing that you are you know, dealing with right now. So yeah, like passive income is kind of like a snowball where you get like a little like where you start getting a taste of a little bit of it. Then you kind of want more, and then when you when you realise how the machine works, then you want to build more and more passive income so that it passifies more and more of your of your baby expenses, until eventually the entire thing is is until until eventually the entire thing is passive and then that's not something you have to worry about anymore.
Speaker 2: I think passive income is one of the best things ever because it uses time, the map of time and compounding, and what happens is when you have to, like, for example, when you have to work out, like you need to put a lot of effort in it. You need to care about what you're eating, and it takes months of effort to eventually be fit and to be lean and healthy. You don't just wake up one day fit. But what's magical about passive income is you can invest a small amount of money over a long period of time. In your thirties, you invest a few thousand dollars a year and you just keep going every single year, and then thirty years later, because of magic of compounding and using index funds, you can wake up a millionaire. Like that would never happen with anything else. Can you imagine, like you don't have to go to the gym, You just think about fitness and then do a little bit of like passive stuff, and then all of a sudden you wake up thirty years later and you're like super buffed and fit. No if you have to put more effort, if only right. But the magic of passive income is that you can put money in, forget about it, wake up, and then you become a millionaire. It does the work for you, which is one of the things that completely blows my mind, especially giving you said, given my background, someone who grew up in poverty, I'm not familiar with this concept of investing. I was terrified of it in the beginning. I was terrified of the stock market. I thought that you could only buy a home in order to become wealthy. I thought that only gold, things that were tangible worth anything, and everything else was dangerous. But now that I have been retired for ten years, the magic of passive income and the magic of compounding has really blew my mind. That whole concept of you could put the money, forget it, wake up decades later and become a millionaire better than any kind of workout plan because you could never just not care about it and then wake up.
Speaker 1: Buff And I agree. It's just not like if someone's looking to pay for their diapers, they're not waiting thirty years for their index funds to crue those compounding returns. And that's why I do like what you're saying bryce about kind of the micro microblocks, Like, oh, think about it's trying to mass enough to be able to pay for the diapers, right, and that might be something that I could do in a year and a half of dedicated investing, I can cover the diapers. Then with just the returns. I'm getting that that they're being split off from those those index funds. I guess that that. My question right now is what about someone who what would you say to someone who would come to you who's like, Hey, I really want to have kids. I don't know if I'm financially prepared. I feel like the biological clock is ticking. I want to get the family started. How do I need to financially prepare so that I'm actually ready? Like is there a certain amount of passive income they need to have socked away before they can really start building a family or is is it not quite that simple?
Speaker 5: I think that, Uh, I you know, I don't want to I don't want to put like a number for like you need to have this much in order to have kids, because you know what, if you want if there is a biological clock ticking, you do want to get like it does you do want to get you do want to get a move on that, because eventually, like things to sart become really expensive and really difficult after that.
Speaker 1: But or impossible or impossible unfortunately. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But.
Speaker 5: What we just want to tell people is that having a kid it does not need to be as expensive as people make it out to be. And there are techniques and there are tips and techniques that you can use to make that a lot cheaper like once you're in it. So it's not something that so I don't I don't want to make I don't want to scare people and say you need to have this much money before having kids.
Speaker 4: It's like you can have the kid and then and then.
Speaker 5: And then figure it out. But and because there are ways to make kids cheaper, and there are ways to boost your income, and there are ways to use passive income to make everything easier. But do what's right for your family first and then worry about the finances.
Speaker 1: But we can help and if you can do more on the front end, if you can think about what your goals are years in advance, like you're let's say you're twenty five, and you're like, I want to start having kids at buy thirty, Like you can start to kind of think ahead about that now and you don't have to wait until you're thirty to be like, all right, how am I going to pay for this kid? You know, you really can start advance and you're going to be less stressed and more you're to have more financial resources at your disposal if you've taken that approach versus just kind of waiting until you go to your first ultrasound appointment and you're like, yes, you should start saving for this little guy. I'm curious how has becoming a parent changed the way you two think about, like adulting necessities which also come at a cost, right, So, like life insurance, creating a will, those things come along with having a kid. Are those necessities? And are those I think people traditionally think about those as kind of expensive realities of entering parenthood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely something we never had to think about until we had kids. We had to think about having a will, even though though it's not fun. We had to think about life insurance. But there's a different way to think about life insurance that regular people don't think about, which is something we learned from becoming financially indepenant, which is.
Speaker 5: If you are financially inpenant, you don't actually need life insurance. So the whole passive. So this is kind of one of those things where it's like one of like the work that you do in one field actually kind of like like like helps in another completely unrelated thing. So the more passive income you have, the less you need life insurance. Because what life insurance does is it if something happens to the breadwinner, it takes care of that. It basically ensures that person's earnings and make sure that the families not left destitute, that they still have a bunch of money coming in. But if you're financially independent, the more passive income you have, the less dependent you are in your job, and the less dependent you are in your job, the less you need to the less you need to ensure that, the less you need to ensure that those earnings from you know something bad happening to you. So what we discovered is that the idea of financial independence and parenting and for this example of life insurance, they kind of interplay off of each other. When you are completely dependent on your job, you need to ensure like you basically need to buy whole life insurance or something like that.
Speaker 3: But if you're but.
Speaker 5: If you're gradually working your way your way towards financial independence, you don't need to buy a whole life insurance. You can buy term insurance based on how long you are projecting for how long you think it will take for you to become financially independent, and as you get closer your For example, if your portfolio can take care of half of your living living expenses, what the other half is taking care of your job, you only need to ensure half as much of your earnings over the remaining period of time that you're working.
Speaker 3: Towards financial independence.
Speaker 5: And if you are completely financially independent, meaning that your passive income takes care of your living expenses completely, you don't you can just drop life insurance because you're you know, your portfolio is paying for your living expenses. Even if you drop dead, that portfolio will still be there. So it acts as a way as it acts as a as a self insurance, if you will. So, like that's a great example of something that if you kind of understand how all these pieces like kind of fit together, you can find synergies and efficiencies that make things a lot.
Speaker 3: Cheaper than you think.
Speaker 5: So in this case, in this case, life insurance is something that we don't We thought about and then realize we don't need, so we don't have it.
Speaker 2: So it's like scale factor again. It changes over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you can. It's cool. You can buy less insurance. You can buy insurance for a shorter time period, or if you are at the point where you've built up enough in assets, you can skip that insurance altogether. Or even when it comes to making a will, I think some people have like over they've they've overcomplicated uh and and made it seem like it's more expensive than it needs to be. And there's all these great services now that'll you can create a will online that's perfectly legally valid and covers you in the ways you need to be covered for your pennies on the dollar of what it used to cost, which is pretty cool. So that's what I always like. Technology has made that a lot easier too. I want to get into some of how becoming million millionaires and and how that changes your experience of parenting. I want to get to a few more questions with with Christy and Bryce will get into that right after this we're back. I'm still talking with Christy and Brice. We're talking about parenting and gosh, of course parenting not not cheap, but it's also not as expensive as some people make it out to be. That three hundred thousand dollars headline number that we see touted once a year when the new USDA number comes out. Christy U demystified that a little bit, and I think there's I think there's a lot of truth to the fact that we've overblown how much it costs to have kids. That also, by the way, that headline number includes the cost of paying for their college, right, isn't that involved in that number?
Speaker 2: I think it doesn't actually include there's like additional cost. It doesn't include the college college charrier. That's why people are terrified.
Speaker 1: So the average cost of college people estimate at what's something like eighty thousand dollars at least right now, and although that's going up, and that's again that's another thing I think that parents put on themselves. Do you guys, are you guy We talked about generational wealth, but are y'all saving for your son's college? Do you think that's an imperative? I think of that as like a a back burner sort of financial goal that if you've got extra good go for it. But for most people, like that's another burden you're putting on yourself to say for your kid's future when there's so many ways to pay for college and you don't even know if your kid's going to go want to go to college.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing with AI coming the fact that the world has changed because of AI and ten years ago software engineering was the golden ticket to winning at life in terms of getting a lucrative salary, but that is no longer the case. So if with you know, with university so far down the road, like we don't know what's going to happen by then, so do you what is it that you want to save for and do you really need that much money for them to go to college? What if you get an associate degree and you go into the trades. That's what some one of the things we talked about in our first book in which it may not make sense to be a doctor compared to being someone in the trades because financial independence, you can actually get too faster by being a plumber instead of being a doctor. And the same thing applies here with college, do you really need to go to college? Or is community community college the way to go and then you transition that into a college degree later. There's many different options. And the whole eight hundred thousand number, it's kind of like the three hundred thousand number two. It's eight hundred eighty thousand dollars. The numbers that seems to be coming out. It really is just an average, and it really depends on each individual and where they live. So just taking one scary number and trying to apply it to every single person doesn't make sense. And also, with the world changing so fast, we have more options than ever. It's becoming very easy to become an entrepreneur compared to before. You don't need to hire an entire team, you don't need to hire multiple developers, so there's many different ways to make an income that didn't exist before as well. So I think being flexible with college costs and not just being attached to the idea that they have to be a doctor, engineer or a lawyer, because guess what, software engineer not exactly the lucrative field that it used to be, not that it's completely disappearing, but being open to different ways for them to earn a living. I think that's what we're doing. We're not saying that he has to be doing the exact same thing that we did taking the engineering path. Maybe he wants to go into trades, maybe he wants to be an entrepreneur. Just being open minded and not having to save a significant amount of money for his college costs because he may not ever need it.
Speaker 1: I want to know how becoming millionaires has changed your experience of parenting versus what you think it would have been like had you not saved up very much. And I'm also curious to know because like there is, let's be honest, in this personal finance podcast fire area of life, there's a lot of like over optimization that happens for a lot of people, and people miss out on important experiences because they're so focused on getting their finances in ship shape that maybe they delay something that they otherwise would really enjoy. So like is now that you're seeing it as parents? You and I we talked about this right before we started recording, how it changes you in so many ways, and it's like the greatest thing ever right to have a kit. It's incredible, Like I've got three if I could go back and do it over, I would have more and pretty long in the tooth. I think that ship has sailed for me. But do you think does any part of you think that you optimize your finances too much before diving into parenthood. Sorry, I know that's a little bit personal, but I'm curious to know.
Speaker 2: I think financial independance is not just like the aspect of it is not the retire early now that we realized after becoming parents. It's the having options part that changes the entire game. And before we used to think, okay, financial independence lets us quit our job and travel the world. Now it's financial independence lets us buy back our time so that we can do what we want with it, which is right now is raising our kid. And you don't even have to have the full financial indepenence amount because we talked about how important passive income is and even if you buy a small amount of time back with passive income, it lets you do so much more with seeing your kid grow up and not miss those milestones. And just basically, because now we're in our forties and when we first retire we're in our thirties, we're seeing there's a lot of life events that happen that completely change our perspective. One of the things that happened after we became financially independent is that we lost my father in law, which is Spies, his dad cancer, and that kind of changed our entire perspective about this whole buying your time back and what it means compared to be for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was right around there.
Speaker 5: It was right around in like twenty twenty when the pandemic was first kind of like becoming a thing. And then I found out that my dad was diagnosed with brain cancer, a terminal brain cancer, and that's when so we uh so we were dealing with all that masking and all the and all the social distancing and all that kind of stuff at the same time I was dealing with my dad going through this very devastating disease. And what I realized then that that was when I realized the really true value of financial independence, which is which has allowed us to kind of be fully present for the you know, the last couple of years of my dad's life. We basically kind of moved into my mom's house and to to kind of to take to take.
Speaker 3: Care of him.
Speaker 5: We were doing shifts with my sisters and my mom and making sure that he you know, as disease progressed, he needed like twenty four hour care, so we needed to make sure that somebody was always there to make sure that he was okay.
Speaker 3: And we had the.
Speaker 5: Luxury of being able to do that because we had done this whole financial independence journey, like you know, years before and and the and that was also the time that Christie was pregnant, so it was like we it was like it was a very rough transition for for me and the rest of my family as well, because I was at the same time losing my dad and then and then becoming a dad at the same time his his his memorial service was actually the same day as her due date, so it was like they were just really just kind of jammed together.
Speaker 3: So it was a very.
Speaker 5: Very painful transition for me. But I don't know how I would have been able to handle that if I had to also worry about, you know, a job is about you know, my job as well. So I'm internally grateful that I did that at the time. And that was where financial independence became the the like the real benefits of it came into stark relief and then after my son was born, I was figuring out us being able to kind of be there and and you know, double team this new problem and figure out how all this kind of parenting stuff worked at the same time, and that was invaluable as well. So I think the gift that financial independence and becoming a millionaire's back back when we were in our thirties gave us is the gift of time, and time is what allowed us to kind of figure out like how all this stuff works without going crazy. So yeah, it was, it was. It was a huge deal. It was like a that was like the biggest change I think for us. And because we had the time to make that transition, we were also had the time to then, you know, kind of like figure out all the different ways that you can optimize and all the different things that you that you can that you can do as a parent that to give your kid the same or better results for less money. We had the time to actually figure all that stuff out and turn it into a book, where whereas if we were if both of us were working, we would have just been in and go go go survival the entire time, and we wouldn't have to we wouldn't have time to even notice any of these things. So becoming financially appendent kind of gave us that flexibility and that freedom to figure out how to make parenting, I hope, easier for everybody else.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of what we ended up doing. Well.
Speaker 1: I so appreciate you sharing that, Bryce, and that's man, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I can't imagine. And you're highlighting just something that I think gets lost sometimes in just the acronym fire or the way we talk about financial independence, and I think that fact we've highlighted how it exists on a spectrum and it doesn't have to be all or nothing, and it doesn't mean having to quit work, but it does give you, especially for those important, those important moments in life, and you never know what's going to come down the pike, right whether something's going to happen to a parent, whether you're growing your family, and it just gives you the ability to lean into those moments by not having to worry constantly about money and that next paycheck you know, coming through on that Friday, so that you can so that you can pay the bills right that next week. And and so yeah, I think that is that is one of the best reasons to pursue financial independence, so you have that optionality. Thank you guys so much for joining me today. I really enjoyed our conversation. Where can how the money listeners find out more about your new book?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can go to www dot Millennial, dash Revolution dot com and then you can hit the contact us link and then you can you know, if you have any questions, we'd be happy to answer any of your questions. We have the links to buy the book. You can basically buy it wherever books are sold. And we also have a free workshop to help as many people as possible learn how to invest for step by step kind of the way that we did because we want we believe that financial education is a right, not a privilege, So feel free to follow a on on that workshop as well, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Speaker 1: Love it, Christy, Bryce, Thank you for joining me today. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thankvank you so much for having us all.
Speaker 1: Right, so good to talk with Christy and Bryce and gosh, they just put so much thought and effort into what it looks like to reach financial independence and now their parents and they're like, this is a little harder to figure out. There's not as much of a recipe, but the way they're talking about parenting and what it looks like, I think really just helping make it more financially approachable for people because we have built up and over indexed. I think the costs of having kids in twenty twenty six it scares a lot of people off and they're like, how am I going to be able to raise kids on my income? And it is going to take some shifting around. But it's not nearly as bad as as it sounds. And the headline numbers might make you think, I love what when they talk about big baby and how expensive, how spending more and buying the new stuff, and that's just like that's the way forward, right, No, Like Chris, you talk about buying that bascinet and flipping it and making money. There are ways too. I got a lot agree for this, and I don't know that I would recommend it, because I mean, I got so much grief for buying a used car seat for my child when they were little. Most people would be like, that's a terrible thing, and maybe they're right, but like, there are expiration dates on car seats, don't put your kid in an expired car seat. But like, there are all of these ways to save on items for your kids that the marketing doesn't want you to consider. So I think outside the box. I think is more one thing to consider, and spending more on your baby does not equal loving them more. And I think we just also overthink our needs. Going back to kind of what we talked about at the beginning of the conversation, we have just a different expectation and mindset for what it looks like to live a good life in twenty twenty six. And in some ways that's awesome because it means we live in a culture of abundance, and yet at the same time time we can think that we need more than we do, and it causes us to spend more than we actually have in search of this lifestyle that we see on social media or on TV, or that some of the people around us are living, not knowing whether or not they're going into debt to live that lifestyle. And so it can be really expensive to have kids, or it can be not terribly expensive at all, depends on your approach. And just I love too that one thing that Christy said about involving your kids in financial decisions. As a ten year old being allowed to help make the decision about what car their family bought, that's so cool. Teaching your kids how to handle money instead of feeling like you have to save up a bunch of money for them. That's another win for you and it's a win for them.
Speaker 3: All Right.
Speaker 1: That's going to do it for this episode. Thanks as always for listening. You can find the show notes up on our website at howtomoney dot com. Until next time, best Friend Out.