Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty, and he.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty Strong. We're not live, We're not here. It's the Armstrong and Getty replin.
Speaker 2: But what we have for you is delicious a collection of some of our best stuff.
Speaker 3: You can hear more, of course on our podcast Armstrong and Geddy on demand.
Speaker 4: And hey, you get through your Christmas shopping list at the Armstrong and Getty superstore, shirts, hoodies and much more so.
Speaker 2: Now enjoy the Armstrong and Geddy replint.
Speaker 5: Aidy Perry, the pop music superstar, was spotted smooching the former Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau. What a couple this sing how Canada was gonna exact their revenge for the tariffs, and this is it.
Speaker 2: They're taking our women.
Speaker 5: They're not just taking our women, they're taking our astronauts.
Speaker 3: That's a good joan, He's not an obnoxious, politically leaning Kim. It's pretty funny taking our astronauts.
Speaker 2: Wow, good joke.
Speaker 4: Yes, So this is just yet more proof, as if you needed it, that the whole green energy climate change thing was a for profit scam. This is some great writing Holman Jenkins, who I really enjoy. He's talking about, you know, during the Obama years, they there was a finding by the EPA.
Speaker 2: I think it was that.
Speaker 4: Carbon emissions that caused climate change threaten people's health, so they could regulate it, like mercury in the rivers or smog in the air. And he's writing about how thirty nine scientists from various organizations just signed to find signed a finding that in fact green greenhouse gases are in fact a danger because the Trump administration EPA just said no, they're not. So you got these thirty nine scientists anyway, So to quote Jenkins, read on realize their book length report is concocted for a bureaucratic and legalistic purpose, not a scientific one. The finding in the Obama years came to justify regulatory actions that have zero impact none on climate change. Not only are US emissions too small a share of the global total to matter in practice, EPA actions mostly just drive US emissions off shore.
Speaker 2: Whatever they think.
Speaker 4: The thirty nine scientists are part of a machine now defending its own activity and privilege in one of the biggest boondoggles in.
Speaker 2: The history of policy making.
Speaker 4: And then he points out and I was totally unaware of this, Michael Moore, the fat progressive film directors. Why would I take a shot at his body shape that it helps us necessary?
Speaker 3: I disagree. I think it wasn't this. I think it helps describe who the person is for people who aren't sure. Oh yeah, the fat progressive film documentary guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, the judges will permit it, it will stand, objection overruled.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: He had a movie come out in twenty nineteen, Planet of the Humans, and he says, remember that, of course you don't. It was shadow banned by the left and film distributors, not because it wasn't climate apocalyptic y enough. It was over the top on climate apocalyptics. It was shadow band for pointing out that the US climate policy was a fraud. Oh so, Michael, who actually believes this stuff? Oh okay, so he actually believes climate change is a problem, we need to worry about it, and that all the stuff we're doing is fake and people need to know that because you're not making a debt. Well, good for him, I mean, you know, that's better than knowingly lying like the al Gore crowd is doing right.
Speaker 4: As Jenkins right, it consisted of colossal pork barrel spending that was having no effect on the ellection problem.
Speaker 2: That is amazing.
Speaker 3: Michael Moore, one of the most revered documentary filmmakers of the left ever, gets memory hold on eltros.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: They have Richard York at the University of Oregon seen marveling in the film at the self willed blindness of the US policy community to a simple question to clean energy subsidies result in fossil fuels being displaced, he says.
Speaker 3: In a voice of wonder. No, they don't even know that that's the question.
Speaker 4: It reminds me of when Californians found out that not only was there no measure of how effective the bums and junkies billions of dollars spent had been, there wasn't even a mechanism to look into the question. And that's what this guy's saying about the climate change stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty optimistic that we're on the other side of the whole trans issue and are going to go back to it at its peak, you know, from a couple of years ago where things were just off the rails.
Speaker 2: But I don't. I don't have much faith that.
Speaker 3: We'll get on the other side of the climate change thing where people will start being honest. Do you think maybe we're actually are head in that direction.
Speaker 4: It's going to be a tough one because a lot of people are completely convinced that what they have been told is correct. Well, I met, and the left is dedicated to keeping that. Then, yeah, I met.
Speaker 3: More in terms of being honest about what things actually are doing something and aren't doing something. I mean, to Michael Moore's point, you need more people like him or saying yeah, climate change is real, but the stuff we're doing isn't doing anything. I'm not worried about climate change the way he is, but none of these things are doing any good. So what are we doing it for? You combine people that don't believe in climate change with people who are honest about it but realize this stuff is phony, and maybe we could kill it most of.
Speaker 2: It right, because we can't.
Speaker 3: Actually we can't actually do anything about it. Reality bats last, as we often say. I feel good that it's moving in that direction. There are a bunch of headlines actually that the entire world. Europe is now put its electric car in backward in reverse. When it comes to electric vehicles, the whole world is saying, you know, this wasn't quite what everybody is saying it was, including even China, which leads the world in electric vehicle use and sales and manufacture and.
Speaker 2: The rest of it.
Speaker 4: So I think, I think sanity is creeping into the issue. But a couple of more stories real quickly, unless you had more on that. I love the topic, But the United Nations is about to tax you. If if you know, the other stuff we've talked to about today hasn't boiled your frog already, this.
Speaker 2: Will global government voters.
Speaker 4: Voters are showing their opposition to the net zero climate agenda whenever they get the chance in the US and increasingly in Europe.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't make sense. People don't like it.
Speaker 4: But that isn't stopping the United Nations, which this week is poised to impose what amounts to a global tax on carbon emissions. And yes, if you're wondering, this is the definition of taxation without representation. Here's how they're doing it. The International Maritime Organization, a UN body based in London, hopes that it's meeting this week to secure final approval for its net zero framework for shipping, and it would impose charges per metric ton of carbon dioxide that ships emit above certain levels, and the tax would be several hundred dollars per metric ton, depending on various factors. That could translate to an annual tax take of ten to twelve billion dollars.
Speaker 3: And then see how many of the people behind that new rule somehow profit from that.
Speaker 2: But that's horrifying. So I mentioned that I listened to a podcast.
Speaker 4: And all the money would go to the UN. By the way, oh lovely right.
Speaker 3: I mentioned I was listened to a podcast out of Great Britain talking about what a disaster their net zero. They really took net zero seriously and just destroyed their economy a lot of Europe did.
Speaker 2: In fact, I got a.
Speaker 3: Stat on that that I wanted to bring that I came across Pohl.
Speaker 4: Seventy five percent of Brits agree with the statement Britain is broken seventy five percent just in.
Speaker 2: General, not just around climate change stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean that selling out the economy to that cult is one of the main drivers of unhappiness and dissatisfaction of all of Europe.
Speaker 3: Yesterday it was announced Ninvidia is worth more than the entire German stock market. That one company, Mississippis. We had this stat last week. Mississippi's per capita income is almost the same as Germany's. So the most powerful economy in Europe Germany is roughly the same is our poorest state in the United States.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And one thing we don't have a near enough understanding of in this country is why we have such an engine of creativity and growth.
Speaker 2: It's called liberty, for God's sake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've been the richest country for a long time, but not to this extent versus a relative to Europe, and a lot of it is because of all that climate change crap. They did so much climate change crap to just destroy their economies.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Though our poorest state is as powerful as Germany.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It really is a final story that I wanted to squeeze in because it's all kind of related.
Speaker 3: Note to self by stock. In nuclear, here's the headline for you. US Army plans to power bases with tiny nuclear reactors. The Janus program fulfills Trump order to start powering military installations with state of the art nuclear technology.
Speaker 2: This is such a great idea.
Speaker 4: Dang right time to go nuke, hey hippies with your no nuke crap and your climate change bull s.
Speaker 2: And I wish I could use the word your day is done. Man. I just pray that that jd.
Speaker 3: Vance wins the next election or whomever there's I mean, we got so far down the road to Crazyville. It's going to take a minute or two to get our way to find our way back to Sanity Town, or at least Sanity Heights in the suburbs.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe, the Armstrong and Getty Show, The Armstrong and Getdy Show.
Speaker 3: Just like hustling started, you know, just getting obsessed, you know, sitting there with the you know, the wonderbread and five stacks of a you know.
Speaker 4: All right, So there was poor gavenwsome on a recent podcast who knew he had grown up poor had to hustle to stay alive, and the rest of it. Katie Grimes, the Fabulous Katie Grimes with a spectacular takedown.
Speaker 2: I knew, Devin, I knew.
Speaker 3: I said that the other day, I said, she is going to have such a rundown of his actual upbringing.
Speaker 4: Oh, she probably had to calm herself down to start writing this.
Speaker 2: It is so rich.
Speaker 4: It was about paying the bills Man wonderbread and mac and cheese. That's how I grew up, bro. It was just like hustling. I raised myself right. Gavin was a latchkey kid. When Gavin was featured in a Children of the Rich article in nineteen ninety one at the age of twenty five, that pretty much put the latchkey kid from the Larchmont Holmes tracked Housing Act to rest until now as loose knew some longs to be America's next president.
Speaker 2: Then she goes into how what was that? Sorry, it made me cough. I swallowed my water. I hadn't heard that one before. Children of the Rich article.
Speaker 4: In nineteen ninety one at the age of twenty Wow, his father, attorney for the billionaire Getty Oil Family Appeals Court judge the rest of it. But Evan slept on a couch and ate Wonder. Breton raised himself and he opened a winery at the age of twenty five. Newsome Man Investors. At the age of twenty five, Newsman Investors created Plumpjack Associates LP with the help financial help of Gordon Getty.
Speaker 2: In a two thousand and three article bringing up.
Speaker 4: Baby Gavin in the SF Weekly magazine, it says Newsom's father, William, was a judge and helped Gordon Getty get access to the Getty family money. She writes, I've read the article several times over the years, but it is no longer available at SF Weekly. They took it down, but they found an archive version posted it to Twitter. He even helped Gordon Getty so his own father to get access to the family trust. In return for these favors and many others, Gordon Getty put him the father in charge of managing a massive amount of money. Guess how Gavin got the funds to start his fancy businesses at such a young age. In ten of Gavin's first eleven businesses, the primary money came from the Getty family, which is intertwined with the Pelosi family by the way money.
Speaker 3: I had read that while his dad did have access to blah blah blah because his parents divorced, that Gavin, you know, grew up with his poor single mom trying to make ends meet, etc.
Speaker 4: No, No, the minute he was of age and again he was a subject of Children of the Rich article, and then he had all the money he could use to finance all of his businesses the minute he was an adult. So why lie about being a privileged kid? Katie Grimes writes, because Gavin Newsom is inauthentic, phony and specious to be polite, as well as a compulsive liar to be a little harsh. Newtam's inauthenticity leads in but compulsively lie to whomever he's speaking to a kind of pandering. She mentions, when with Charlie Kirk, Newsom said he hinted that he agreed with Kirk that biological men should not playing women's sports, but then he did absolutely nothing about it as the governor of the most egregious title on via leading state in the country.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't speak Gavin well, but I didn't understand what he said in that Charlie Kirk thing. I didn't understand that clip we just played. I don't understand what he was saying. He uses phrases the kind of hint at something, but he never says anything. Well, you know, I was out there running around, you know, and I got the stacks of bread and what what are you claiming here, I don't even know what you're saying. Rich Lowry in the National Review, I asked, I'm sorry, it's Jim Jim Garretty who's asking did Democrats really need a white male version of Kamala Harris?
Speaker 2: But it's worse than that.
Speaker 4: How well do you envision Newsome connecting with all the union voters in the Great Lake States? How about those working class blue collar whites in North Carolina and Georgia for that matter, Will Newsom, who banged his campaign manager's wife, I had a nineteen year old girlfriend when he was thirty nine, going to do better among women. When you see that photo of Newsom on the rug with Kimberly Gilfoyle, do you say, yes, this is the kind of Democrat candidate who going to resonate with African Americans and Latinos.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always think that's a blind spot for Democrats, you know, the coastal Democrats that they because I come from a family of like everybody was a Democrat, but they were all Firmer Democrats. They weren't Gavin Newsom sort of that trans issues Democrats, and that's where Gavin's gonna really run.
Speaker 4: Up rounds it, right, right, and then one final note from Marcus Breton, who has been a columnist for the Sacramento b I'm not sure he still is, and Marcos always a decent guy, a man of good character. He's a man of the left, and I frequently disagreed with him vehemently, but he's a good man. He wrote this in twenty eighteen, before Gavin was governor. If Gavin Newsom elected governor of California without so much as a speed bump on his political journey of entitlement, it may take future social scientists to explain why current California voters were so willing to give this guy a pass on all of the things we know about him.
Speaker 2: Can't you see this picture for what it really is. The fifty year old.
Speaker 4: Lieutenant governor and former mayor of San Francisco is the living embodiment of privilege, and people seem to be okay with that. He has white male privilege, class privilege, wealth privilege, the privilege of good looks. All creates a teflon exterior protecting Newsome's horrendous lapses of judgment and character, excusing his questionable background. It is simply accepted without a listening the negative scrutiny that would dog or even derail lesser mortals.
Speaker 2: Wow, and that's from a lefty journalist. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And he talks about the connections to the rich, Geddy and Pelosi families, how they pump money into everything he does, and then his utter moral failings is he is.
Speaker 3: The caricature hm, the sort of stereotype that people try to plant on Republicans. Rich white, good looking guy connected, you know, rose up through the ranks with no effort whatsoever or talent. Right, But as a Democrat, he's gonna try to pull off the I raised myself, you know, stacks of bread. No, I don't know what do you mean by the stacks of bread? What are you trying to say back to Rich Lowry.
Speaker 4: Don't you think there's a good chance Republicans will be able to portray the Marine County mansion owning luxury, sweet partying wine sipping newsome who always looks like a villain from a RoboCop movie. It is an out of touch elitist. Never mind the whole NAPA dinner in the middle of COVID. It was an early dinner. We all feel sometimes, Oh that is Gavin Ron.
Speaker 2: The Armstrong and Getty Show, Yea or Jack Orgeo podcasts and our hot links.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 4: I love Matt Tayebi, who is a man of the left. He's a brilliant writer. You know, he's one of those guys I disagree with him about twenty five percent of the time, but his point of view is always intriguing. And he's writing about that up in Maine with the Nazi tattoo, but more about Zoran Mumdami. Because Matt grew up in a comfortable Northeastern household and was sent to expensive boarding schools, and then he hits the job market and he realizes he had no skills at all having gone through that sort of education.
Speaker 3: That's really and his dad was a famous reporter for CBS News, one of the newscasts I watched as a kid. His dad I'm whoever tivy. So he grew up with that lifestyle. But then he got out of college and thought, what am I going to do?
Speaker 4: That's interesting, right, and he thought, yeah, I'd go with the family business of journalism. But he hadn't really studied it, so he had to start from the bottom. But here's where it gets really interesting Across the next decade or so of embarrassed residency abroad, because he went to live in several foreign countries, I saw that real working class people don't have the luxury to send their kids away to whack themselves off in intellectual spas it's understood that large percentages of young people will be needed to design the next generation's roads, water treatment plants, refrigerators, etc. Living in places like Mongolian who is Bekistan also introduced me to the idea that less than extravagantly wealthy countries don't have the luxury of sending class after class of their best young minds through curricula devoted to deconstructing the core premises of their society. In other words, in the rest of the world, rational social planning not only results in fewer kids studying pure theory, but the theorists those countries do graduate are far less inclined to spend their lives denouncing their home countries as forces of historical evil.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 3: Luxury of the self ego grandizing rich to be self hating and hate their countries. As I've said many times, that's like the highest standard of showing how enlightened you are spies, yourself, your country, your religion, the rest of it. It's so you're you're so safe from attack from another country. The water's so clean, the economy is so stable, the government is so stable. Because the government and all of that has allowed you to decide this is a horrible country.
Speaker 2: That's right, an interesting turnaround. That's a luxury. Yeah.
Speaker 4: He goes on in countries where the bulk of people have to be concerned with survival, getting enough to eat, not being conquered by rival nations or revolutionaries, and holding crime and corruption to tolerable levels. Colleges don't teach kids how they're citizens of oppressor nations that should probably be disbanded.
Speaker 2: They certainly wouldn't do.
Speaker 4: It if they lucked into the benefits of citizenship in a country like the United States.
Speaker 2: This country has problems, even serious ones.
Speaker 4: But it's not like gangsters are setting up freelance toll booths on I ninety five for West coasters. That's the equivalent of I five on the East coast. Or the strip stake you ordered at Ponderosa has a good chance of being cat meat. The reference that amuse Jack a great deal yesterday, and I'm not certain.
Speaker 3: That that is a as solid as he.
Speaker 2: Thinks, But they have atturneys moving along.
Speaker 4: Citizens of countries that have known true suckage, including especially the ones with Marxist or Maoist histories, laugh at the things Americans call problems.
Speaker 2: The only people who think the system that.
Speaker 4: To produce the richest, safest empire in history is essentially unfixable are America's own wealthy, who's current disdain for their own good fortune is like a political version of heroin Chic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is so damn true that crowd does not realize how hard it is to turn around, or would be to turn around if real corruption ever sets in in your city, state, or federal government.
Speaker 4: I wish it would immediately with socialism. Sure, Right now, he turns his attention to mister Mamdani, the Marxist Islamist who may well be the mayor of New York.
Speaker 2: City or run man.
Speaker 4: That's Zawn correct anyway, right, this is what we're seeing now, in particular with the Mamdani campaign, which to a hilarious degree, is manna from heaven for Trump. Mamdani is the face of the new brand of socialism. That embraces the preamble theme of the communist Manifesto, in which all of society is divided into oppressor and oppressed. Illegal immigration isn't a problem that needs to be contained in order to make social programming for citizens affordable, as Bernie Sanders once believed and probably still does, but because immigration laws are inherently oppressive. So, as Mudami now proposes, let's spend one hundred and sixty five million dollars making New York quote the strongest sanctuary city in the country. Tybi goes on, let's not fix police violence by ending stats based enforcement, for instance, or doing away with broken windows theory, but let's tweet things like quote, queer liberation means defunding the police. Madie's he no longer favors defunding, but be your own.
Speaker 3: Judge, guys, is gonna end up mayor of the most important city in the world with the slogan what was that about that last? Queer liberation means defunding the police. Queer liberation means defunding the police?
Speaker 2: What the hell? And then he.
Speaker 4: Quotes another journalist who's writing about it. In twenty twenty two, Mom Donnie declared of his political career and again in twenty twenty two. Friends, for me, there's no point in doing this without the DSA. The Democratic Socialists of America favor full amnesty for legal immigrants, all of them, including the criminals, abolishment of the Senate, voting rights for non citizens, and public ownership of major corporations. Since he won the nomination, he has softened on some of these points, but remains a DSA member and fan. New Yorkers can decide if he's sincere. And I'll return to my frequently stated theme, Marxist sly all the time because people don't expect somebody to lie so clearly to their face.
Speaker 2: He still believes all that stuff. Then we're getting toward the end.
Speaker 4: But then there's Mundami's Gamut, in which he decided to speak to Muslims in New York, telling a story about an aunt quote who stopped taking the subway after September eleventh because she did not feel safe in her job, and Taibi describes it some length. He lived in New York City at that time, and he said there was an incredible level of enmity and cooperation between most of the cities Muslims and non Muslim residents, and the numbers bear this out. New York has always been a liberal, welcoming city always, And if I might depart for a moment, and we talked about this briefly earlier, Mam Donnie was talking about the victims of nine to eleven, and he spent zero time on the mommies and daddies' sons and daughters who died in fire when those planes hit the building, or the mommies and daddies who died and good honest, hard work in people who died in the towers. Said not a word about the NYPD and the NYFD, the firefighters who gave us one of the greatest examples of heroism in American history, said not a word. His only tear was for his fictional aunt, who may have felt somewhat nervous getting on the subway in her his job. That's somemou Donnie's view of nine to eleven any way, I will calm down momentarily.
Speaker 2: All the people on those planes.
Speaker 4: Anyway, for a likely future Muslim mayor of New York to even remotely implied that Muslims in New York, where victims of nine to eleven is infuriating lunacy. Unfortunately, it fits the aforementioned oppressor and oppressed mindset, in which a marginalized community always holds the moral high card over people who built your roads, bridges and ports and put out your fires. Once you see attendees of seventy five thousand dollars boarding schools talking about the need to arm the proletariat and a candidate for mayor of the world's financial center talking about pH I've toned down the rhetoric on seizing the means of production so that over time we can bring people to that issue.
Speaker 2: That's a quote.
Speaker 4: It's lot were neo Marxist idiocies have been allowed to gain a stronghold.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Jack, if you want to that is something. There are quotes there I've not heard.
Speaker 3: The mainstream media has done a bad job of covering this guy because they sympathize with him.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's clear neo Marxist idiocies have been allowed to gain a stronghold. Only people who don't know how hard it is to build a society think this way. But the number of such people is growing, ironically because of the educational system.
Speaker 2: Well, this is being in mind.
Speaker 3: Very Burkyan screed from the left leaning tibe.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, Finally, the liberal left in this country used to be about searching for ways to moderate the excesses of capitalism, creating more opportunities for social mobility, and promoting tolerance and generosity. Instead we're in the quote upper class twits promoting revolution space, a script with much which most most of the rest of the world is sadly familiar. Is there no defense against the ignorant rich God? That's really really blank and tayeebe for the win. It's interesting to me that he traveled the world and came away with that.
Speaker 2: That man.
Speaker 3: We should really be lucky for our stable society because it's really hard to get one going. Whereas most people I know who travel the world, and it probably has a lot to do with like where you stay, what you look at, what you choose to do when you're in that country, they come away with these other places are so much better. Why do we have to be the way we are. I've been to all these different countries and they're fantastic because you stay in a nice hotel and need a nice restaurant and go to the museum right right, and you overlook the fact that the United States has provided a military umbrella to free up their social systems for decades now, in the mold of the post WW two carnage, which is long since gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that. That's brilliant, absolutely brilliant stuff. Matt Taiebe, I think you might get paywall. I'd love to post this for you at Armstrong and Getty dot com.
Speaker 2: We'll do it.
Speaker 4: If you want to subscribe to his substack, you can if you want. But that's brilliant.
Speaker 3: The Burkean reference Edmund Burke, if you don't know that, considered the father of modern conservatism. It's basically the idea that if you have created a safe, stable society, don't take that for granted. It is really really really hard to do, and you start messing with it and it could come apart quickly and take centuries or a thousand years to build up again. And that's basically Matt Taybee is saying to the whatever that last line was about the comfortable rich, thinking that.
Speaker 4: If there's no defense against the ignorant rich, were in the upper class twits promoting revolution space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to have a revolution against a safe, stable, happy, most successful society in world history.
Speaker 4: You idiots, the chances that what is created will be far worse are ninety nine point eight out of hundred.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty show, We've been searching for a better term to describe what's going on, because, as uh I'll be sharing with you in a moment, that is a miss.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a misnomer. Literally, it's a misnaming of the problem. It's like, you know, somebody with a flu has a catastrophic gunshot wound and the doctors just keep calling him the flu patient and treating him for the flu.
Speaker 2: It's not the problem.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But this is from We'll just say, uh.
Speaker 3: Like, if someone had a heart attack with COVID and you called it COVID, nobody would do that a COVID death no, instead of bums and junkies. I like the very accurate term transient drug addicts, Right's anonymous. I think the most interesting take is this. That's really good, by the way, Yeah, that's kind of what I say with the kids the street people drug addicts. TDA is transient drug addicts. Uh.
Speaker 4: I think the most interesting take is this, we should all we all agree we should help the homeless, i e. Productive, law abiding people who fell on hard times. But we spend so much money supporting the transient drug addicts that we don't have enough to help the actual homeless. Anyone who wants to help the homeless should agree that the best way to have more resources to support the homeless is to stop spending it on the transient drug addicts.
Speaker 3: O the Yeah, yeah, clearly. And then this note again from all or a lean anonymous. I'll share part of it with you, although the whole thing's great. Says some very nice things about the show.
Speaker 4: You've got a way of breaking down complex issues with refreshing common sense, like a breath of fresh air.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. I work with the homeless in I don't see any reason I shouldn't mention the town. This person wants to remain anonymous.
Speaker 2: M is there need to mention the town?
Speaker 4: Significant sized city in cal Unicornia. There you go, and he or she lists I think maybe he, I don't know, uh lists the various places just about every street with significant homeless encampments and quotes.
Speaker 2: I was listening to you this morning yesterday.
Speaker 4: Well, you were dropping truth bombs about the homeless on the radio and I found myself yelling, yes, finally someone gets it, because you're absolutely right. We don't have a homeless problem. What we have is a drug problem. Big keep in my mindless person works with these people every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The biggest problem I have with that praise is it seemed obvious for quite some time that that's what's going on. But yeah, eighty five percent of the folks I work with are battling drug addiction. Eighty five percent, another ten percent are mentally ill because of drug addiction. They're remaining five percent they're just mentally ill and need confinement in a place that can help them. What do we do with people who ruined their brains because of drugs? I guess you treat them like the mentally ill of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 4: While many homeless advocates and quotes argue that most homeless individuals are simply struggling abused moms or families in need of assistance.
Speaker 2: Five pardon me, rent's too high. Oh yeah, we need control.
Speaker 4: In my five years of experience working in the toughest parts of my city, I have encountered only one such family one Wow. The rest mostly middle aged men and women trapped in a cycle of addiction, who will say or do anything to feed their habit and the solutions Again in quotes, we keep hearing about like tiny homes are just band aids on bullet wounds. The county's current plan is to build hundreds of tiny homes near particular location. Unless there's a serious plan for dealing with addiction, you're just creating a drug camp, of course, And by serious plan I mean more than the tired old line we hear that support services will be provided. Politicians love the optics of tiny homes because people see something that looks like actions solve the problem. But when the rules are broken at the tiny home settlements, as they inevitably are, these folks end up right back on the street. The turnover rate is astounding. I don't know if anyone in power is noticed, but drug addicts don't obey rules very well. Add to the fact that it takes forty five days, he has forty five days to have a person cleared for intake services. Unfortunately, that's typically forty four days after they've disappeared back into the fog. Why not force rehab, Jack, You're gonna love this well. Rehab has a ninety four percent failure rate the first time around, and politicians, no, voters won't stomach a program that's nine hundred and forty thousand dollars of failure for every million dollars spent.
Speaker 2: Plus ninety percent.
Speaker 4: Of addicts refuse services outright because it cuts into their high time. Wow, so you're looking at a very small percent who even agreed to give it a try, and then ninety four percent fail. At least for context, thirty five dollars can purchase an eight ball in Sacramento.
Speaker 2: It's a measure of drugs.
Speaker 4: Kids providing a high for several days, provided they do not share. Five dollars keeps them high for a day. All you people handing out cash at stoplights stop, they use the cash to buy drugs. They throw the food away. Addicts aren't known for huge appetites. Fine, I'll skip to the final paragraph. Even though again this is all terrific. If we want real change, we need drug courts back, We need accountability, we need punishment. We need to stop pretending this problem is something it's not. We need to stop acting like a long term drug addict has the same mental capacity and rights that everyone else does. Most addicts will not seek help for their addiction until they've reached the lowest point. It's just too easy and as he made the point, cheap to stay high and there's very little incentive for them to change. Interestingly, we have a chance to save them if they reach their lowest point within the first two years of their addiction. After that decision, situation becomes unpredictable.
Speaker 2: Thanks for keeping it real. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I don't know how long it's going to take for society to catch up with this, But so you look at those people and you think, well, who would live like that? You see somebody on a bridge and they're dirty, and it's cold outside and they're under there and they're drug addicts, and you think, well, they can't want to do that.
Speaker 2: Well they do.
Speaker 3: It's hard for us to imagine looking at them that they want to do that as opposed to not do that, but they do today.
Speaker 2: They want to.
Speaker 3: And got so we got to all just you know, take that in and understand that there are a lot of people that once they're addicted, want to continue doing that.
Speaker 2: Somehow we need to blow up this notion.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's these intervention shows or whatever, but somehow we need to blow up this notion that if there is a rehab, you can put them in there and fix them.
Speaker 2: I don't know where that came from. That idea.
Speaker 3: It's never been true, it's not true now, it never will be true. So we got to blow up that idea too. Yeah, they're batting. Average is catastrophically low. People don't understand that. You know, you can't be cynical enough about this. What government does is it identifies problems, real and imagined, and then spreads money out to buy votes and influence. That's what it does.
Speaker 2: And Getty