Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Absolutely? Ready for a break? Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Patrick Walker, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Thursday, August third, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number fourteen. Welcome to the late's edition of The Break. We live from Oxnard, California. We're rolling through this thing. We're almost at the end of week two of training camp practices out here. Cowboys have pads on and so it's gotten real out here, and we're gonna tell you a little bit of what we are seeing and hearing throughout these practices throughout our show today we got forty five minutes. But before we get to that, uh, we got a little toy here. Our trusty producer, Chris Beam has introduced a new feature for our podcast, and obviously we're gonna roll it out on the Best Podcast first and we'll see how it goes. So this morning, what we have here's the number I'm gonna give you guys a number. It is eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. Again, get your pins, get your pencils, write it down. Eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. This is our new text line. You can text our show. Actually, you can text any show while the shows are on live. You can give feedback. You can tell us we're all idiots. We probably won't agree with you, but that's fine.
Speaker 6: You can do that. You can send us questions.
Speaker 5: It's just your way as listeners to be able to interact with our show. And we love having you interact with our show. So bring it, let's go, let's have some fun and uh and throughout the show today you can feel free to text in and then give us your thoughts and also give us your questions again. Eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 3: How's everybody doing this morning? I'm fantastic. Couple buck you guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's outstanding.
Speaker 8: I'd like to know if you would text any Please. Lets't know what color is Ambar's shirt today.
Speaker 3: Because we will. We already know what color. There's a discussion going on, right. We don't want to leave the jersey.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we don't want to like influence anybody right here.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to start this Twitter argument after the show, so yeah, it's very clear what it is. But whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Also, when you when you text us, make sure you leave enough.
Speaker 3: Room to have your name.
Speaker 5: So yeah, because we're going to be able to give you a shout out. We love to give you guys a shout out when you when you interact.
Speaker 3: With the show, So make sure you do that again.
Speaker 5: Number eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 3: All right, here's what I want to start today.
Speaker 5: Two people on our panel had the privilege yesterday of being able to interview one Dakota Prescott and uh and so I wanted to start there.
Speaker 3: I want to talk a little bit about about Dak.
Speaker 5: And the first thing I want to do is just for fan there who've never obviously had the opportunity to meet Dak, spend time with Dak. I won't you guys just talk about your impressions of Dak just as a person you get an opportunity to sit down with him and get a chance to talk to him. What are your thoughts on on Dak just as the man Dak Prescott.
Speaker 9: Ladies, First, I mean he's as great as you can get for a spokesperson. I mean, he's just absolutely perfect everything you would want your starting quarterback to be. When he comes to cameras and lights, he's he's just great. He always have a great answer, has a great answer. He can tell you whatever you want. He won't avoid the question. He'll be smart about it and answer it his own way. So he's he's just great. Tell us your impression, Patrick, I mean, before we get into what we got out.
Speaker 10: There, just like you said, he's he is the definitive face of any franchise, let alone the Dallas Cowboys, and he is one of the better ambassadors of the game of football. How he carries himself, you know, not only in his performances on the field, which we'll get into obviously, but off of the field, he's the consummate professional.
Speaker 3: He didn't win the.
Speaker 10: Walter Peyton Man of the Year a war by accident. This is a fantastic human being with a big heart, well spoken, very intellectual, and we had some fun when our interviews yesterday because Dak knows the game, so he knows how to have some prepackaged answers. But we were able to kind of break through that and get to the inside of the inside for Dak, So something that fans.
Speaker 3: Can look forward to always the key go ahead, Brian.
Speaker 7: For that. You know.
Speaker 8: The thing with we have Dak on one O, five to three fan today, so looking forward to our My reflections of the times I've gotten a visit with him.
Speaker 7: Is how polished he is.
Speaker 8: But one of the fun Dak's got a really good sense of humor. And we asked him a question last year, like, okay, quarterbacks always have answers about Team X, and so we made up a fictional football team, remember that, And we asked him, tell us about Team X. And Dak, look, he's gun. Team X is well coached, they're well the other they're prepared, their players are outstanding. You know, if you don't deal with Team X this way, they're going to cause you problems. So it just showed you the side of like because the question was as quarterbacks, you do have prepared thoughts and answers and stuff, and he goes, oh, absolutely, So we brought Team X into play and he described Team X like he was preparing for the Philadelphia Eagles, and it's it just shows you he's got a really good sense of humor. He handles things very well when you ask him questions, and you could go a large range of topics, the charity work he does, the football side of things.
Speaker 7: You know, there's just a wide scope of things.
Speaker 3: He loves sports.
Speaker 7: He's always involved with other local teams.
Speaker 8: You could talk to him about that and and he responds very very well.
Speaker 7: It's a it's a pleasure to get to talk to him.
Speaker 3: What would you guys say?
Speaker 5: I know I talk a lot about Dak's leadership, and I think everybody talks about his leadership being one of the truly great attributes that he has. Outside of that, if you look at him just as a player, as a quarterback, what skill do you think stands out most to you?
Speaker 3: As?
Speaker 5: This is what Dak does extremely well. This is his superpower.
Speaker 8: I think he handles adversity better than anybody I've seen. You know, when you look at the things that happens, he he never gets too high or too low. And when things happen during games, you can see in his ability to bounce back, you know, and fight through things. I think that's just the way he's been brought up. You know, there's been adversity throughout his life, and there's been a lot of joy in his life too, but he doesn't seem to just get bogged down when things aren't good.
Speaker 7: He finds a.
Speaker 8: Way to turn a bad situation into a good situation. And I think that's his just the fortitude, the ability just to take things and put it behind him and keep going forward.
Speaker 7: Think is one of the superpower traits that.
Speaker 10: I think I really appreciate about him, I do think, and that's the same for me. His resiliency, which is why for me, that was just such an appropriate creed for the Cowboys last season because Dak Prescott time and time again on and off the field, he's shown resiliency. Like Brian is saying, you look at you know, the loss of his mom to cancer and the loss of his brother to suicide, and you know, he is now embracing mental health and mental health awareness and understanding ways to become stronger from the things that happened to him, and then it transfers itself to the locker room and on the field. One of the best answers he said yesterday when he was asked what word does he hate the most, he said, can't And that really resonated with me. And that's the kind of you know, guy that you want lead in your locker room.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean his confidence and he goes back to everything that you guys are saying. He's just a guy that does despite everything thing, seems to not lose his confidence. Maybe behind doors, but when he comes out of his room, his house, he puts on that face and just keeps going at it. The type of phase that you want to follow, the type of guy you want to follow into me one of the most impressive things. And I think we can all agree on this as far as like, despite us having to come and do shows and report on the team, criticize, analyze and evaluate everything, we still root for the guy. We're still all in with him. And I think his teammates, coaches, everybody, you throw an interception, whatever, everybody's still gonna go out there and fight and root for him and do what they can to make him better. So I think that's a big thing that goes back to leadership. I can't even say that word leadership correct. And you just want to follow the guy in root for it, and I get all the criticism and all that, And as far as skills and on the field, but it's hard to hate on a person that you know is fighting for you and give it them all to.
Speaker 10: That point, And we're getting a lot of those comments from the interview that we did yesterday, Ambar. There are die hard born and bred Cowboys rivals that are telling us, God, I hate the Cowboys, but it's so hard to hate Dak Prescott. It's it's so hard to hate him as a man, to hate him as a human being. So to your point, a bar like this is that's the kind of guy he is, to the point where he wins over at least off the field, he wins over fan bases of rival teams.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's hard to root against good people, right. I find the same thing with Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 5: I can't stand the Eagles, but I actually like Jalen Hurts, and so it's hard. It's hard to root against people that you think of good people, or at least.
Speaker 8: You think, right, are you taking this angle because of what the national media has gone with so far, But at the last couple of days without Dak.
Speaker 7: And maybe him and Digs getting into it a little.
Speaker 5: Bit, No, you know, actually I wanted to actually want to bring that up to you guys, because I do think.
Speaker 8: I think that's unfortunate, and if yeah, let me take that, if I could, let me give these national media members a little bit of advice, Skiff. If you want to be really, really good at your job, don't worry about the other NFL teams. Follow these guys. Follow Dallascowboys dot com. Watch your All twenty two tape. Know everything in your power about this football team and you'll find ways because every time we turn on the TV it's a Dallas Cowboys related segment. Learn about this football team. Learn about what you're talking about. You know there's people in camp what we're talking about right now about Dak Prescott and Diggs. It's a competitive situation out this guy is a leader. There is no division among, no hatred among It's all going at each other. It's being competitive and that's the situation. As a national media member. Learn about this team. You do far better work on your job. Nobody really cares about the Seahawks or the Buccaneers because all you guys do is talk about the Dallas Cowboys. Find a way to learn about the team. These guys work right here and listen.
Speaker 3: Don't hear it out.
Speaker 10: Don't hot take for engagement, because what I find the thing that's problematic for me is those that know better aren't doing better when it comes to commenting on.
Speaker 7: Things like this, but they don't understand.
Speaker 10: So for example, if you've ever done anything competitively, we could say if you've ever played competitive sports, but it's it's even bigger than that, because if.
Speaker 3: You play me in spade, you could be my brother.
Speaker 10: And the things that I say I can't say in church when we're playing cards, let alone the things I've said the teammates on baseball diamond, on the football field and on the basketball court when you're you know, one on one. It's it's all about the culture that's established and the culture that's established here by McCarthy and Dak and kind of perpetuated.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic. It's solidarity. They're going to go at each other.
Speaker 10: It's happening in training camps all across the NFL.
Speaker 3: That point, all across the NFL.
Speaker 10: You better be questioned, you better be questioning competitiveness, perfectly, said Derek. You can't have it both ways because if you didn't have the chippiness, then the narrative would be where then they're soft compete, they're soft, they're not ready to contend. But then they get the chippiness and all of a sudden, it's oh, it's divisive. They don't respect each other. They absolutely respect each other. So look to Brian's point, learn how the game is played, Learn how players prepare for the game, and at the end of the day, understand when you put a bunch of alpha males in a small space, put on some pats and say go hit each other, you're gonna get those.
Speaker 3: Types of things.
Speaker 10: But after practice, Trayvon, Dak, Trayvon and whomever, Dak and Jiron curse, they're all it's all brothers.
Speaker 3: And we know that being here because we see.
Speaker 10: Them walking around so single day. So know what you're talking about, or don't talk at all.
Speaker 9: It's just the same one. You with family members, friends, you're at home playing board games, any type of game, you're gonna be cussing each other out.
Speaker 3: It happens.
Speaker 9: You got that you're like, you want to just slap somebody, just you cheated, or no, you alone, that's playing. No you you know, don't play you know with me, I will beat you up, Like I understand.
Speaker 8: Sometimes the battleship, I leave the submarine all four downs.
Speaker 7: Win the game for you out there that way. Sometimes it's in dry dock, you know.
Speaker 10: Sometimes listen now, I know I want to hit through the draw force so I can get the real But it's the same thing.
Speaker 9: And after the game is over whatever, y'all go back to being friends and it's all good.
Speaker 5: And so this is as old as time. I remember growing up with my grandfather.
Speaker 3: He had like, he had twelve brothers and sisters.
Speaker 5: So when we get together family, family get together, there's a lot of people. He and his brother sit down and play dominoes. And I tell you, when I tell you, some of the words I've learned in my life that I probably shouldn't be saying, or learned listening to them talking to each other about that domino game. And it didn't mean they didn't love each other. It didn't mean they weren't brothers. It meant they were competing. And sometimes competitiveness has a way of bringing that out of you, and that's just a part of it. So I think I think that whole conversation is somewhat silly. And anybody that has that says that has either never competed or doesn't remember what it's like to compete, so they're just kind of throwing stuff out there to just make some news that you say, to create some but ben.
Speaker 8: Some players that have competed, you know, I mean Shady McCoy and I'm talking to you right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talk about me. That's click bait.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you've maybe competed at a very high level. You're you be, You're an outstanding.
Speaker 10: Production in the room conversation. Here's what you say to drive engagement. Even if he's like, well, I don't really, it doesn't matter. Here's what we need you to say, and then he goes out with it.
Speaker 8: But then then but then again, it's very frustrating for people who were with the team every day. Like Derek says that why are we answering these questions?
Speaker 3: And here I am.
Speaker 7: I just took seven minutes to talk about something. But it's just if.
Speaker 8: You really are good at if you really want to be good at your job in NFL network or whatever, learn about this football team. Follow people learn about this team, because that seems like the only thing you guys talk about now every day, you know, they talk to me. I mean, it's like Women's the Women's World Cup soccer, and Dak's thirtieth birthday.
Speaker 7: I got that the other day Sports Center.
Speaker 10: And my final point on it to your point there in those games of domino bones, when they're playing those and they're going at it and there locked horns, let someone from outside the family walk up to that table and talk noise about either one of them.
Speaker 3: Right, how quickly? How quickly does the unity then come into play and it all then gets focused? Correct?
Speaker 10: So, ladies and gentlemen, if you think there's a problem between treyvon Diggs and dek and there isn't, I want you to understand that when the opposition pulls up, it all gets focused and chatteled in one direction.
Speaker 3: And that's across the line of scrimmage. All right, we're gonna take our first break.
Speaker 5: When we come back, we again and get some standout moments, some standout players, uh from some of this the practices this week, Well, when we come back Dallas Cowboys dot Com radial.
Speaker 2: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g's it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 10: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys.
Speaker 3: And now he's on his phone on.
Speaker 10: His Bank of America Mobile Banking app, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica. Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 7: Everica is only available in the Englis language. You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app.
Speaker 3: Only available on select mobile devices. Message dat rates may apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 13: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Aggon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 14: Hey Cowboys fans, ready to spice up your next watch party, Bring Yo Kiero guacamole and be the game day hero. Yo Kiero means I want, and we know you want. Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices, it will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertsons or Tom Thumb in the deli section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero, Yo Kiero Guacamole.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break.
Speaker 8: Do you eat, sleep, and breathe Dallas Cowboys Football.
Speaker 7: Tell us how you spice.
Speaker 8: Up for the game for a chance to be named twenty twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan, and win exclusive prizes plus a trip to Super Bowl fifty eight. Nominate yourself for another today at Dallas Cowboys dot com Slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. It is the second segment of the break.
Speaker 5: We all live Fromoxnard, California, and this segments brought to you by blockchain dot Com. Actually, we got a lot of text rolling into this text line. You guys are liking this, I think again. The number is eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. It is eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. We're gonna get to a segment in the last second. Well, we'll try to take some time in the last segment to maybe go through some of these and read some of these aloud. I think we're getting a pretty clear indication of what color me amber has on.
Speaker 9: Most of you guys know I paint. If I was to paint a sun or grass and leaves or trees, this color I would pick for grass, not for like dark grass, but like the highlights, the highlights of the.
Speaker 7: Your homeowners their association's not gonna be happy for grass.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 8: That's what it's a high owners are all over you there a g right now.
Speaker 5: You guys, don't don't don't take any indication of how great hardist he really is, a great artist. All right, let's get back to the back to our show. Uh, let's get some standout moments. What have you guys seen in some of the last couple of practices, particularly, uh, the practice on Wednesday, I'm sorry, Tuesday when it was padded.
Speaker 6: What have you guys seen some standout moments, standout players?
Speaker 3: Really? Sorry?
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you real quick. I'll try the I think.
Speaker 8: The two to two point period, the two point plays offense was five for five anyway, man, some really nice design, some drive picks, uh, some you know, there were some times and this was the defense. This is dan Quinn's defense. He put his guys out there to try and make some plays. They didn't cover well enough, they didn't get any pressure. The protection was outstanding. There were guys that were running open. If you want to say, really good for the offense, but really really bad for the defense. When it came to defending that, and then and then the offense kind of carried it over to the red zone stuff where they were able to make.
Speaker 7: Some places a little bit more pressure.
Speaker 8: Dak had to move around a little bit more, but the guys did a good job of working the back of the end zone. But that two point period where they went five for five, boy, they gave me hope because not only this are two point plays, but those are plays inside the inside the five yard line that they could go to if they had to say, Hey, we need our best play right here to maybe score. Get Jake Ferguson in the flat with nobody covering him, or throw the ball deduce fawn on the little little out there, you know, little route.
Speaker 7: He runs the outside. So good job by the offense. Defense. That film will show you need to pick things up a little bit.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, and I will say this about the defense. The return of Trevon Diggs was his present was felt in that second padded practice and not just verbally, but you know, definitely on the field as well, because one of my I.
Speaker 9: Didn't having to watch from this for a couple of days and dying to.
Speaker 3: Be in there.
Speaker 10: Oh yes, he showed that exact energy. He got in there, had a little bit of a slow start. I think maybe he was kind of feeling out the toe, make sure he was good.
Speaker 3: But when he got going, he was going.
Speaker 10: And my point being, Cavante Turpin was one who really stood out for me, and he continues to stand out. But Cavante Turpin learned the closing speed of Trevon Diggs on that flat route in the two minute drill and that red zone drill where you think, well, Dak's got this, this is another touchdown. Turpin had a touchdown earlier in that set. But here comes Diggs streaking across the field just out of nowhere. Bound break breaks up the pass and that's what led to the clip that went viral. But Diggs, he's back, don't worry about his toe. He looks fantastic. But Cavante Turpin continues to make it difficult in that competition and trying to figure out, well, if if Cavante is learning the playbook like this and he is earning offensive reps, what's the challenge of now getting a guy like duce Vaughan involved as well. But to Brian's point, Dak Prescott looked surgical and that drill five for five and ceede Lamb. I feel like it's a combination of him taking the next step and having the confidence being built from last season. But I think it's also adding Brandon Cooks to the mix and they really are just playing off of each other. You will rarely see Cooks make a play without Lamb making the next play, or vice versas Lamb makes the play, Cooks makes the play, and then that elevates guys like Michael Gallup, Jalen Tobert, some of these young guys Mareno Crawford, Jalen Brooks. He's coming on strong as well. Brooks is stacking good days. So this offense, I know a lot of people came into this training camp thinking they are knowing how good this defense can be. They wanted to know what the offense can be. We're seeing what the offense can be, and we're seeing what it can be under Mike McCarthy as a play caller. It's difficult if Michael Parsons isn't in that backfield the offense, if they have any amount of time to make a play, they're making plays.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I will throw out this out real quick though.
Speaker 5: One thing we talked about you and not talk about when we're standing up of watching practice the other day. There are so many times that the play gets complete its clutch, Michael Parsons, and that may have never been a play if it were a real game.
Speaker 6: That's something to keep an eye. Certainly a good thing.
Speaker 5: For the Cowboys defense, for the Cowboys offense, though you have to start winning.
Speaker 3: It's hard to tell are you're.
Speaker 5: Really gonna get to that pass because it may have gotten busted up in the.
Speaker 8: Times where I felt like that the Traders would be running on the field with a spatula to get back some moments where that number eleven is shown up really quick and tagged off.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, exactly, go ahead, Amber, I'm sorry, Oh no, you're good.
Speaker 9: Well to Patrick's point, actually, I talked to when we talked to Dyk yesterday, I did ask him about Cooks becoming to him what it looks like a security blanket. Every throw is a catch boom boom boom connect him every single time. And he did say that, yeah, that's true. But at the same time he feels the same way about a lot of these guys. So and you can see that on here. And he said, how with Mike McCarthy, one of the things they're trying to do is just get rid of the ball quicker faster, but also being on the same page with the receivers. I was gonna point out, and I know we keep talking about this guy specifically, but Duce Vaughan, there's no way he doesn't make the team. I mean, they're working him. It's they're really using him a lot, and he's taking advantage of all those reps. You can see again we're not really seeing that full like game day type of tackles because there are times that he would have been on the ground, but he he's just impressive to see how much they're really putting him to work out here. And last thing I wanted to mention back to Dak's leadership. Something that I saw two days ago was the way he was reacting to Hendershot. Hendershot has been kind of up and down. It seems to be getting in his head a little bit. Had a drop that was right to him, and you can see just a reaction like hey no, man, like just keep at it, you know, the way he kind of lifts him up and he came back sure enough. A couple plays later, he caught that ball and it's just those things that you want to see. But talking about the tight ends, hender Shot is one of those guys that has kind of been up and down throughout camp.
Speaker 8: Bra.
Speaker 7: Now, can I ask you guys a question real quick?
Speaker 8: Sure, Okay, we're talking about Tulbert and Tilbert's also been receivers, has been good, But do you feel like though that you've seen really.
Speaker 7: With Brooks and Turbin, have they been better?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Real quick question. Actually, what I wanted to do.
Speaker 7: Because I'm trying to figure out if it's going to be five or six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what I.
Speaker 5: Wanted to do was because I think there is some thought out there as you watch the practices that there may be some jockeying for position there you know who the.
Speaker 3: Top two are.
Speaker 6: I think there could even be arguments made like do you really.
Speaker 3: Know who the three is?
Speaker 5: Necessarily, But what I wanted to do is I wanted to toss this question to you guys right now, based on.
Speaker 6: What it's about to happen, based on what you've seen.
Speaker 5: I want you to give me in order in order top six wide receivers on this team.
Speaker 10: Okay, I'll I'll jump out in front of the train. First ceed Lamb.
Speaker 7: Hopefully goes off the track.
Speaker 5: We'll see everybody get those first two or three Ceedee.
Speaker 10: Lamb, Brandon Cooks, Michael Gallup. That's the easy, no matter what order you put them in. From what I'm seeing, Jaylen Tobart at four. From what I'm seeing Jayalen Tobart, see now here, here we go. I gotta have turping in there. So he's one of my five.
Speaker 3: You got one more. I don't want to be a prisoner of them moment.
Speaker 10: Because first yeah, first, first it was Mareno Cropper, but then now he's.
Speaker 3: So that's what I mean. Okay, I'm gonna give Wow.
Speaker 10: But then it's Jalen brook But then it's Jalen Brooks versus Semi for Hoko.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's the one that's in trouble.
Speaker 10: Just as we have as we have this conversation as.
Speaker 7: It stands right now, as we live today.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna go I'm gonna go for for Hoko as my final as we have this conversation right now, let's see if Brooks can continue to build because we for Hoko has leverage, he has time in the system. Let's see if so, I'm gonna go for Hoko, I'm gonna go to the Amber. Next, I'm gonna save you for last.
Speaker 9: Brian, No, go ahead, Bryan the asp for over.
Speaker 8: Here, Lamb Cooks, Gallop Brooks, and then I would go, and then I would go I think then I would go Turpin and then Tolbert last.
Speaker 6: Okay, but he's still in the sixth.
Speaker 7: He's still in the sixth. That's what I'm trying to think.
Speaker 8: I think, I think right now Semi fajoco and I know he's a little nicked up right now, and but as we sit right now, I'm I'm just I kind of feel like that that Brooks is showing like again, this is a this is a tradition we have at training gim that the Lance Lenores and others show up, you know, Tennis Houston show up, and you know, you hope that they could get through the preseason games. But it's amazing to me what Brooks and Turpin had been able to do. And I think it's a battle right now with with Tolbert and where he's really really at okay.
Speaker 9: See to me, based on performance wise alone of what has happened in the past week, justify everything, Yes, based on experience with the team and where they were drafted, how they were acquired, anything like that. Based on performance, to me, it would be been then Brooks and then Tolber in that order. Turpin he's been I know he missed a couple was it a couple of days because of the birth of a girl, a girl had a girl. But the way he impressed me, he just showed up and did not miss a single beat. And he's been fast, he's been quick, and he's been catching my attention, and I hope they really get a lot of use of him on the offense this year.
Speaker 8: And he chanced that the one from four to five or six could be better than three.
Speaker 3: Well, that was where I was kind of shocked.
Speaker 5: I actually thought at least one of you guys would put Turpin above Gallay at this point, because in my opinion, I think he has been a little more impressive about here.
Speaker 3: It might you know, training.
Speaker 5: Camp can be deceiving, It can be about who you're matched up against.
Speaker 3: You know, Turpin could be getting a lot of second team We know how that goes, right, So I.
Speaker 5: Think you got to factor that in some But but I would say, like I have noticed Turpin more that I've not I Gallop out here.
Speaker 8: I noticed Gallop when they went the two point play in the red zone stuff. That's kind of where I was noticing him.
Speaker 6: And it doesn't mean no, no, no, I don't know. It just means I've noticed Turpin.
Speaker 3: A little bit. But I couldn't.
Speaker 10: I couldn't put Turping ahead of Michael Gallup right now because I will honestly say, several of the plays I've said I've seen Turpin make and the routes wherein he's beating the nickel guy and maybe not being targeted, but he has the guy toasted.
Speaker 3: It's it's with the twos.
Speaker 10: It's Kelvin Joseph for example, it's you saw I'm not this is just this is analysis, not a shot.
Speaker 8: But it's the twos that it's not too happy right now, no shots.
Speaker 10: No shots objectivity, right But when you see him go against a guy like Trevon Diggs, you saw Diggs close and make that PBu.
Speaker 3: So when it's against the first team.
Speaker 10: Not saying Turpin can't perform against the first team, I believe he can. That's why I have him in my six. But as far as putting him above Gallop. I personally need to see Turpin against more of the first teamers. Let me see him more against Eve, I mean game, let me see him more against Iron Bland in that slot, and then I'll be able to say, you know what, maybe that's the conversation to be had. But as it stands, no, because the gallup is going more so against the ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, we're gonna take our final break when we come back. We got a few more of these uh rankings that I that I wanted to throw out to you guys.
Speaker 3: We'll have a look fun with that.
Speaker 5: We also got some some texts coming in. We'll try to get to some of those again. That number is eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. We'll take some of your comments and your questions there. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 2: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash bygy for you for details.
Speaker 12: Once you use the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys. The Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 7: Seed Gig has.
Speaker 15: Your back no matter what kind of fan you are. So whether you're a die hard fan or a don't really care fan, Oh we got them next time fan, or we'll never win again fan. Here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan. The seed Gig not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before.
Speaker 3: They made just about.
Speaker 15: Everything else easier to so whether you're a here every week fan or haven't been here in years fan, seat Geek as you covered, download the seat Geek app to the seed Gek your a ticket, Great seats.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 11: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 13: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier to cry out?
Speaker 4: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 8: Dallas Cowboys Training Camp twenty twenty three is here, brought to you by American Airlines.
Speaker 7: Watch the team.
Speaker 8: Practice on selected dates through August fifteenth in sunny Oxnard, California.
Speaker 7: Mission is free.
Speaker 8: For more information, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Training Camp welcome back.
Speaker 3: It is the final segment of the break.
Speaker 5: We'll lot from Oxnard, California, and we're rolling through the show. We've got a text MECHS text and just flying in from I do missing the text Mexic wet the.
Speaker 7: First good place in town. I'll tell you about after he show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, because I haven't tried to get a text mex place here.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it's Kings and Queens, excell.
Speaker 6: Let me know about Let me know about it. But you guys can hit us up.
Speaker 5: Eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight again eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. We're getting lots of questions in here, and if we can't get to him, then Nick will get to him on his show as he walks through, just because he misses us so much.
Speaker 3: And he wants to be on the air with us right now. Really all right, so let's here we go.
Speaker 5: I had a couple more of these positions where I wanted to get some rankings from you guys.
Speaker 3: I like what you guys did with the wide receivers.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about offensive guard behind Tyler Smith and Zach Martin. Give me the next two to three guards in order based on what you've seen out here through the first couple weeks.
Speaker 8: Practice, Well, Farniac's gotta be the he's your next Yeah. And then but now you've got to figure out what do you feel like with a doga or what do you feel like with Josh Ball, or what do you feel like with TJ.
Speaker 3: Bass.
Speaker 7: To me, this is where it gets really murky. And I when.
Speaker 8: You when you used to do June Radio and you're signing to talk about, well, the Cowboys have got some really great depth in the offensive line and all that, and you're kind of like, oh, positions, I'm worried about linebacker and running back and you're thinking, boy, how wrong was I on that? But then you look at the offensive line situation, I think it is a struggle. I don't know if you really have good surplus behind you know. I think it's very very clear when they get to the seconds and the thirds that these these guys are struggling right now with Because the defensive tackles are this this division, this division, this NFC East has some monsters at defensive tackle. All the teams do, Commanders, Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, They all have monsters. Yeah, so you know, it's very clear when you're not good at guard, you can get exposed. And right now I think that Farniac has been the best of the group. And then I'm starting to like bass Ball and those guys. You know, we're kind of I think where I'm at right now that I would actually trust to have to play in the game, and that right now is kind of a difficult proposition to kind of wrap my hands around.
Speaker 3: Hi, Jerry, hope you're enjoying your morning. Pay Zach Martin.
Speaker 10: Yeah, because you know the mcgriddle whatever, however much you need to put on that to make the right decisions for Zach, you know, do that. The reason I lead with that is because you know, Farniac for me, is definitely gonna be the first name that comes up, and he's making strides. He's no Zach Martin. That's not a nock to Fantiac. There is no other Zach Martin closest that is Quentin Nelson. He's in Indianapolis. So you're gonna have that that drop off from Zach to Farnioc. But to Brian's point, once you start trying to figure out situation behind Farnioc, it gets kind of tight.
Speaker 3: It gets tense.
Speaker 10: Bass ball hasn't looked great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not.
Speaker 5: I mean that was that's almost a project, it is, but just it's a project.
Speaker 10: And speaking of projects, they didn't bring it in too much, Adoga to be a project that brought him in because they expected that he'd be kind of like the stabilizing force, uh in the event that Farniac didn't take the steps that Frnioc has taken.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I want to I want.
Speaker 16: To see more you so be it a doga and you know, not a lot is being said about Richards, you know, the rookie fifth round pick, and we'll see how that develops.
Speaker 10: But it's Forrnioc and then it's eyebrow raised. I genuinely don't have an answer behind Farniac and that's disconcerting.
Speaker 9: Yeah, after your starters, including sach Martin once he gets here, because he will hopefully not behind that, I just I feel very very uneasy, especially when you look at what you're trying to do with Dak this year and his receivers, the type of protection you're trying to give him, allowing him to even though they're working on getting rid of the ball, he still needs that kind of sense of security where he doesn't feel like he has to be running for his life. But at the same time, how is that affecting the running game and what kind of holes are you opening up for these guys that other I mean, we've seen that they have the speed and all that, but can they how good can they find those holes? I think that's something that I haven't been able to really really notice out here in these practices that will be depending on how the old line is performing, it's going to really really affect what the running backs are doing. So right now, I'm a little uneasy with everything behind the starters and history shows so far that, sadly and unfortunately, there's always some type of injury that happens and some guy has to go down, And we've talked about all the shuffling that they've had to do, especially like last year. So I have hope that they can figure it out and put it all together, but it is kind of concerning right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that the most interesting part about all that that you guys just said is even when Zach Martin comes in, because he'll get here, he'll be here. Whenever he gets here, it's still to me, highlights a really big issue.
Speaker 3: Because let's also remember, your starting.
Speaker 5: Left guard is your backup left tackles. And that's what I know about the left tackle position. That's what you gotta be at least you better have a plan for it right right. And so let's assume for a second that you lose your starting left tackle and he has to slide out. Now your guard is he the guy that can just jump in there?
Speaker 6: Like That's where it gets really tenuous.
Speaker 3: When you talk about resident horror movie that is.
Speaker 8: Heard about here calboy fan, that is that that is a nightmare scenario right there, because if something does happen to the left tackle, now you're now you're really like Amber's talking about, you're really shuffling.
Speaker 7: Guys around and and and and it's not.
Speaker 8: And the one thing I know working with Jerry Jones and personnel was how important things are in the middle of that offensive line because the ability for the quarterback to step up is is huge. Now with Zach, you know, it's just so clear right now. I mean, when they have issues, it's surely on the right side, and it's surely in the middle in that you know, it's they're trying to kind of work through all.
Speaker 7: That, and it's just it's not as clean as it needs to be.
Speaker 3: It's not here's we're gonna do.
Speaker 5: We got some some text messages we're gonna roll through here before we end the show today.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 5: The first one comes from Bradley his Texas pretty simple. It just says, Amber, the shirt is yellow. I love you guys, So thank you Bradley. We appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Chiming in, Uh, we got one from Uh.
Speaker 6: This person didn't leave Reggie. He says the shirt is yellow.
Speaker 5: He had a question, he said, from what from what I have seen of Mazzi, seems to get off the ball a little late. But do you guys see his power? What do you think about what you've seen so far?
Speaker 8: From you know, it's his hands, Yeah, he's he's got the power, he's got the ability.
Speaker 7: His hands need to be a little bit quicker, you know, and a little bit.
Speaker 8: He played a two gap system in at Michigan where it's inside outside, so you know, you play.
Speaker 7: A little slower that way.
Speaker 8: But yeah, he needs to find a way, like in the nine on seven stuff that I've been watching. Needs to just get rid of those blockers a little bit quicker control, get rid of control, get rid of don't control, don't control, and then like, oh there's the ball, and then get rid. That's been a little bit of an issue for him early in this this training.
Speaker 10: Campra I think the getoff will come, And he admitted himself in a conversation a couple of days ago that his get off is not where he wants it to be. He feels like he can be better with that. And and I agree completely in watching practice, and I think it's just you know, he's only two padded practices in and this is not making excuses for it is the rookie curve is the rookie curve, and and few positions have a greater rookie curve than the defensive line in the NFL. So now he's going up against the bigger boys, where at Michigan and in the Big ten, his strength was was going to be more evident than it is against the Tyler Smiths of the world, the Tyrone Smith's of the world. That's why those are the two guys that he pointed at as far as when we were asking about his strength, and he was like, yeah, man, I'm strong, And they asked, you know, who's the strongest in the locker room. Of course, you would have thought Mazie would have been like, yeah me, he was like Tyron Yeah, and he was like Tyron Smith right. So the way he said it, he's feeling it now. So give him, give him a couple of weeks paralyzed. Yeah, he's realizing he'll get there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Will McClay even said that they had to work on his stance. Yeah, you know, and sometimes if your stance is too narrow, you can't you know, you can't. If your stance is too wide, you can't move. If it's too.
Speaker 7: Narrow, you lose your base.
Speaker 8: So even Will talking about it after the draft that they felt like they had to do something maybe open him up a little more with his stance.
Speaker 7: Probably a lot of things he's working on, and.
Speaker 10: You know why, wonderful points because the Cowboys are looking to unlock some of his past rush a bit. So when doing that, they're going to have to make tweaks. So before everyone starts panicking saying, oh well, but because you know how fans can get, no, he is being tweaked right now. So it's not the same stance per se as what they saw as what he saw at Michigan, So give him a chance to get his legs and I think he will.
Speaker 9: He just hasn't had hasn't found that comfort, that confidence and just Okay, I'm comfortable in this space. I'm comfortable with these guys, and I'm gonna do what I know what, like what I've been trained to do. I think he's getting a little bit too much into his head. I think he's a little too critical of himself, which is good because you want a guy that is that has self awareness and that can't keep competing and going back and trying to perfect what he needs to work on. But all in know, I think that everything's gonna come as easily once he starts finding just that comfort and like, Okay, I belong here, Yes, I belong here, and this is what I came here to do, and I'm just gonna keep going at it. I think it's just a little confidence that it's maybe for me what it's lacking right now.
Speaker 10: And he's also learning the playbook as he's having his stance tweaked, so he might be in his mind just a little bit talk about last.
Speaker 3: Year with Tobrid overthinking he's a rookie. Maybe thinking too much.
Speaker 10: Once the muscle once he plays from instinct and muscle memory. Good luck to the guy lining up across from him real quick before.
Speaker 3: We end the show.
Speaker 5: I can't get to all the texts, but quite a few of them made it clear it to yellow shirt.
Speaker 3: However, there was one young lady, just one. There was one young lady.
Speaker 5: Becky and Crumb, Texas says, and where did you get the lime green T shirt?
Speaker 6: So she agrees, she wants to know where you got it?
Speaker 3: Where did you get it? Cowboys Pro Shopways Pro Shop? Okay, so you can go get your yellow.
Speaker 6: Shirt, oh, from the Cowboys Pro Shop.
Speaker 9: You know what I think? My vote is time's five hundred because out of here, like I actually paint, and I actually deal with a lot of paying I am an artist.
Speaker 7: Come on, da compose your das.
Speaker 10: Granted grant that does give you more, you know, more say in the matter. But as a dad who helps his kids with crayons, I think I know.
Speaker 9: You guys have limited colors.
Speaker 6: Crayons are what if it's the one twenty six bucks?
Speaker 3: No, come on, come on, no, all stop. You appreciate you guys.
Speaker 9: Maybe it's the lighting right now, but you guys need Sometimes the light plays and effect, but this is the.
Speaker 5: Lighting being the sun, right all right, We appreciate you guys, Jones. We'll be back on Monday and we'll have a lot more for you guys. We got arac this afternoon, got another one on Saturday as well, so we'll have lots of updates for you guys on Monday til then. For Brian Broadest, Patrick Walker, Ambergarcia, I'm Derek Heilton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 16: Cowboy