Speaker 1: Wording today's episode. Today spoilers for Daredevil Born Again Episode one oh seven on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: Hello, it is Jason Gnce Epsi.
Speaker 1: He I Movies, you liked it, and welcome back.
Speaker 2: Dext vision of the podcast where we dived your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture.
Speaker 1: Coming to you by my Art Podcast. We're bringing you three episodes a week every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday Plus News plus News.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are diving into Dead Evil Born Again episode one oh seven, Art for Art's Sake. We're gonna be talking about MWS. We're gonna be talking about Vanessa. We're gonna be talking about how fucking great the Wilson Fisk and Charlie Cooke's dad Devil stuff is in this season. And we're also gonna be asking was muse was he too quick? Was he over too quick? What happened? Well? I think it was comic book accurate. But you know what we talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that, okay.
Speaker 1: Episode one oh seven Art for Art's Sake, written by Jill Blank and ship director by David Boyd. Let me just say up front, I love this show. I love dared Evil. This is a very silly episode, but I like stremely silly. It's very enjoyable, enjoyable in that silliness. So we open with Mayor Fiske. He's upset Mayor Fisk Wilson. Fisk does a lot of pensive staring out of the window in this episode. He just look at the city, just look it out there, And so he called Dan and Buck to his side.
Speaker 4: Just look out there, you see that city. They elected me because I promised them peace from the mask freaks, and yet muses out of here killing sixty people, guy painting murals of blood.
Speaker 2: And then he finds out and and Buck doesn't even want.
Speaker 3: To tell him, but he he's like, I do want to encourage this, Like I know why this is gonna go if I tell him.
Speaker 2: He does not want to tell him, but he's like yeah.
Speaker 1: So the one survivor, Angela, it kind of seems like she was rescued by Dirt and Fiscus like get out, get out, and he just.
Speaker 2: Throws every out. He can't stand it.
Speaker 3: He's stressed.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Matt is in his shower post Muse fight, post Muse slash slashes all over his body, big disgusting bruises.
Speaker 3: On Leaden.
Speaker 2: He's leaning into the cusely into the drain.
Speaker 1: Heather comes in and is immediately like the naked form of them Murdoch.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling that's part of his sexual power prop superpowers.
Speaker 1: She gets in and then notices these grievous wounds and the kopy is bleeding, and she's like, man, what the fuck? And then he turns around and then she gets a full frontal view of the mac musk and she's just like, forget the blood, forget show. Let's fuck now in the shower, forget the hospital.
Speaker 3: You're just good at any of it.
Speaker 2: I need it now, Matt Murdoch.
Speaker 1: I forget everything that I've just seen and I need that Matt Murdoch action.
Speaker 3: That's true. Matt Murdoch is a slot in the comics Guys comic comics. One of his biggest superpowers is how many people he focks like. That's just true. And if you got a problem with it and the show and.
Speaker 1: He's good, good at it, it's just what he's good at that because those hypes, what he does. Guy knows when he's he can hit the hotbyat he knows when he's hitting that spot and he works it.
Speaker 2: So Matt hits the spot and Heather.
Speaker 1: Is absolutely like, you know, mind boggled by the pleasure of the Matt musk. And then as the words, she's beginning to come back to her senses, you know, after her the blood rushing back to her brain and all that kind of stuff, and she's like, wait a second, you know, hold on, what the fuck's going on? Like you're fucked up, You're bleeding, and like lion.
Speaker 2: You're not home, like kicking a hold of you.
Speaker 3: She's like, excuse me, are you like self palming or something? I'm because he knows that to a point is truly he is self palming. That's what his dad evil actions are. But what does he do instead, Jay said, instead of telling the truth forget it?
Speaker 1: Matt then goes on a campaign of the most effective and shameless gasol that we've seen from fuck boy Matt Murdoch.
Speaker 2: Yet, which sit he yeah, please.
Speaker 3: This is part of comic book of not just Mat Murdo, but basically any superhero with a secret identity has to be a master gas lighter because they gotta add live keep that secret. But here I was like yelling at he was like, he was like look, I'm blind, okay into stuff. I'm like, you don't even really blind, you know me.
Speaker 1: First of all, you gotta play it up, Matt, because Heather's with you a lot.
Speaker 2: We see you all the time. You're not bumping into anything ever.
Speaker 3: You know, into stuff like what are you?
Speaker 1: What are you bumping into knives? Like why are you sliced up?
Speaker 3: Bro? Just like tell her also like at this point you are definitely not protecting how You're just contacting yourself like this is you.
Speaker 1: This is so shameless and over the line, Matt, you lying, bitch, true.
Speaker 2: And then Heather is like, Matt, stop it. You're traumatized. And then Matt's like, oh I see the off ramp.
Speaker 1: That's perfect, and he's like yeah, like and then he plays it up like am I traumatized?
Speaker 2: Like I don't know, I don't know what's going Oh no, yeah?
Speaker 1: And then he you know, and then you realize Matt's like, ha ha, I got away with it once again. Matt then goes to the office he meets Cherry. Cherry is pissed because he's like, I thought you weren't gonna dress up like Daredevil anymore. And I certainly thought you weren't gonna go and fight muse. And Matt's like, listen news killed fucking sixty people, sixty people.
Speaker 3: Sixty six to the list when in the ten killers of them, I know I'm making a ranking.
Speaker 1: We have got a confirmed number, because it was there was a little bit of a confusion I think on our part, on the other members of the audience's part, about like what the true number is.
Speaker 2: But sixty is a big that's a big fucking number.
Speaker 3: Sixty huge number.
Speaker 1: And Matt's Matt, I think makes a good point to Cherry, which is like, listen to cops are they're down sixty to one, they're not on it. If if I'm not out there looking for this guy, then he's not gonna get caught. So I need to find him. And Cherry's like, whatever, Fisk is still at the window. Like a day later, he's still at the windows.
Speaker 3: He can't He's.
Speaker 2: Still sitting at the window.
Speaker 1: He's still staring out into the you know, at the gray skies and wondering what's going on. Buck comes in and he can you know, Bucks, Buck knows now Fisk's moods, and he tries to get him to like con you know, so what like Daredevil's back, but he's he's fighting music, Muse is killing people, Like that's your vote.
Speaker 3: Him, Like that's good man, Like yeah, we can deal with him after.
Speaker 2: It's like, let's let him do his work and we'll let him cook a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah I know. And I'm like the thing that Buck doesn't understand is what Fisk is really thinking about. It's like, oh, so Matt Madow told me he wasn't gonna be Dadivil, So I said I wasn't gonna be Kingpin, but I guess I could be Kickpit again. I guess I'm gonna be kick Ban again. It's like, say, you're already king Bin, like you are not doing you just don't. You just need Matt's permission, and now he's got it.
Speaker 1: Fisk then blows his top because he starts like reliving talking about trauma. Starts reliving the trauma of Matt Murdoch tearing down his criminal enterprise with his bare hands.
Speaker 2: And he's like and he and he frames it really.
Speaker 1: Interestingly, is like this class this this like as his criminal organization is like social security for blue collar criminals. He's like the organization transferring wealth into the hands of blue collar guys across city. He was like, Okay, you guys aren't fucking drug dealers.
Speaker 3: Like you have crazy expensive paintings that you were buying with the money from this. How about you just sell one of those million dollar paintings and give that money to the last race, sell some like whatever's knuk or whatever they were selling for people on the street like I did.
Speaker 5: He has be arrested, which he has no authority to do while I, while I was in prison illegally, he goes out and he beats up all of my former associates who are just good working guys out of the street.
Speaker 3: How could he do that? And also I do think this is funny and does raise the hilarious question which is in our discord. There was a lot of talk, and I do think it's a fair question to ask. Right, it's like Wilson Fisk's anti vigilante agenda. There's like no vigilantes in this show apart from their devil. Right, A mus is not a vigilante. So we're not seeing Spider Man, we're not seeing all these masked threats. What we really have is Wilson Fisk is just like his anti vigilante, like Quest is just anti Daredevil, Like that's the real truth. He's not really against anything other than just Matt madat Kerby's passionally pissed off with You.
Speaker 1: Would think he'd be more upset about Mus, but I think that's part of what's so fun about this very silly episode. It's like mus has killed sixty and he's like.
Speaker 2: Dur Devil's back. You don't understand Buck what he's done.
Speaker 1: And then finally he's what you know he says to Buck listen, Buck, I hired you because you're an outside of the box guy.
Speaker 2: I need went outside of the box with this Daredevil issue.
Speaker 3: He's like, remember when you were called Bullet and you were just killing people all the time, assassin wink Griink.
Speaker 1: So then Matt goes to see Angela in the hospital. She's, you know, obviously she lost a lot of blood, not doing well. And then he's like asking about muses Layer, you know, can you give me any clues about like what's going with like Muse, Like what did you see down there?
Speaker 2: What was it? And she's like, well he really loved his art.
Speaker 1: Wow, incredible break in the teeks.
Speaker 3: I'm also like this is a teenager whose blood was just strained, and you're just like the greater, like she just woke up, and he's like, don't worry, I'm here. And I was like, oh, this is nice. And then he's will tell me about muses.
Speaker 1: La yeahs on, Yeah, the guy paints murals with the blood of his victims.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's into his.
Speaker 3: Arm and he's like and he's like, tell me something unique, tell me something like faces. He paints faces all over the place.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: My god, you are gonna become White Tiger in the next season, as you inevitably will faces. You know, come on, like, let's be a little bit more observer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, tell me something more. You like, oh, he loves painting figures with three butts.
Speaker 2: They have three but something unique?
Speaker 3: Well, I will say. Turns out Matt should have been asking one of the corrupt cops, because late there is a hilarious specific thing that one of the cops notices where I'm like, oh, man, I bet you wish that you'd lost Tim and no Angela.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Vanessa is trying to smooth over this whole Luca issue with the two million dollar fine payments about the heist from a few weeks back, and Luca's like, listen, this all went off the rails. We were making good money under you, okay, and everything was going very smoothly. Then Fisk is like, I want to be mayor, and now he's mayor, and it's fucking the whole thing up, like everybody's pockets are getting hit. And then Luca then suggests that like everybody the other the rest of the gangs feel like.
Speaker 2: This as well.
Speaker 1: And it's pretty clear that Vanessa is not shutting she's not shutting it down. Yeah, certainly, And Luca then suggests, you know, why don't we much like Fisk and and Buck, why don't we think outside the box on this one?
Speaker 3: Don't?
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the weird kid who absolutely has to be mused when I see him show up for his appointment. Obviously, Yeah, so he shows up and you know, he's saying, weird ship he's it's Heather is becoming more and more alarmed. He tells like a crazy story about no one could see him, and then.
Speaker 3: She have like some kind of emergency button in that, like, I feel like she was not prepared for this, even though she is literally the marriage counselor of Wilson Fisk famed masthemud of her and criminal like.
Speaker 1: Have like a p comer spray something like in the cushion of her chair something. And also, yeah, you're right, like a panic button. So she's beginning to get more and more weirded out. Meanwhile, Detective kim Aka, the only detective in New York City, come on every.
Speaker 2: Case, every single case in the city.
Speaker 3: Every other NYPD offhicized on the payrolls Wilson Fisk.
Speaker 1: I guess she's the hostage to go.
Speaker 3: She yeah, she's the lead every birthcase. Yeah, going on the ground too, muses Leah, Like, come on.
Speaker 1: She knows to brief uh mayor Fisk on their lead suspect. They've developed a suspect. His name is Bashin, and turns out this guy is like a champion taekwondo student, but he actually fucking killed his coach after three.
Speaker 3: After three, what did you learn in three months? So well?
Speaker 1: I mean he like held his own with Matt, so literally like the guy, the kid's a prodigy, And personally, I think Rosie, I think he should have stuck with the taekwondo and not done the killing, Like if he just put all his energy into takwondo. He could have really done something.
Speaker 3: Could have just been flipping people, like winning a little champion, winning a little medal or something that would have maybe given him some you know, self worth. Martialots can be good for that. But also like he's.
Speaker 2: Like my parents made me do it.
Speaker 3: And also I guess he's like super rich. That's like another thing, like he's on and the he killed the taekwondo instructu on his estate. My favorite part was when she said, my favorite part of this was when Detective Kim, the only detective in New York City.
Speaker 6: The only New York City, when she said, when she said, there are only three elite taekwondo coaches and a New York is like that, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: It's like that. Okay, well he killed one of them, so I feel like it should have been a bigger deal if there was only three.
Speaker 1: I think by elite she means elite people capable of training you in three months to fight Daredevil. That'sstandable, that makes sense level and as many in our discord uh pointed out, this is this plot line is very similar to the Bullseye plot line from Netflix, a kind.
Speaker 3: Of like the therapy count obsession. I will also say that is why I think they cut this aspect of it short, because I do know that some people will be like, oh, you know, wouldn't you expect him to see Heather more than once, like an ongoing kind of relationship. But I think a reshoots and I really like the Vanessa Wilson stuff, So I think that.
Speaker 2: That that's the that's the heart of this.
Speaker 3: And I think also fairly people would have been like, oh, but didn't you do this already with Bullseye. So I Bastian just like he gets the short shrift, and that's okay because he's just some random serial killer.
Speaker 1: So just some random guy put up some numbers. Though it's really like it's really like a Jeremy Lynn kind of run from him. It's just like only a few months just catching straight muse sanity from Bastian anyway, Uh, you know, we weirder and it's like boom, it's very clear.
Speaker 3: My favorite part is when his nose stops bleeding like he's in an anime. Yeah, like I was just bleating. It was so he could draw an alarming image of her on a piece of paper. But yes, he's muse he's fighting had that it's.
Speaker 2: Not God's right.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, in the meeting with Detective Kim, the only detective in New York City, Fisk hears all this stuff about the you know, the prime suspect that they've developed, and it seems really good, but like all he cares about is Darnable. He just like immediately flips it back to and what about daredabl like.
Speaker 3: And she's like, we all help me because I'm the other fucking detective, so maybe it would be okay if he was.
Speaker 2: She definitely, she definitely downplays it.
Speaker 1: She's like, well, we don't have any hard evidence that he's back, and like we're open to it, but we don't know anything. Yeah, because I think Kim is like, you know, it's just helping us out, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's like there's no Spider Man, like, I don't know that bitch has gone like it's just me and dad evil now.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Kirsten back at the office is mad at Cherry because she feels like him and Matt are hiding things or doing things on their own.
Speaker 2: And she's a partner at this law firm. She's one of the two partners.
Speaker 1: It's Matt and her and here is Cherry, her the investigator who works for her, and he's.
Speaker 2: Not telling her things.
Speaker 3: She's pressed off. She is right, and I'm a Kristin. I'm sorry, guys, I'm a Custom fan. I think it's Custom mcduffy, a McDuffie reference. Love that fee Like, I actually think this is an interesting character, and it's interesting to have someone who's actually like legit being the real detective and the real investigator within the law firm, having to do all the work that Matt isn't doing, and then being annoyed that this cast they brought in its fucking lyinges like just tell I'm interested. I want to I want to see where it goes. I hope she survives the season because I think she has it space to grow as an interesting character in the next season.
Speaker 1: And let's stop just like killing off Matt's friends, please one like we've done. Matt goes back to the Mewslayer and he's feeling around on the art and he's, you know, touching all the faces and then he's like, wait a second, this drawing looks a lot like Heather, and indeed it is Heather, and so he's.
Speaker 2: Like, I gotta get back to Heather's office before sorry.
Speaker 3: Does so silly and I love it.
Speaker 1: Before he does that, he just like wap like knocks a cop out who sees him.
Speaker 2: Some cop gets a glimpse of Daredevil.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Daredevil's down to the Mewslayer and he just goes think throws his nightstick and just knocks this guy out before getting out of.
Speaker 3: It, and I love it. I then love as well. But like one of Fisk's cops, like he cools Fisk and he's like, oh my god, there's a drawing here Heather, she's a terrorist downtown. Why does everybody know what? How the gun looks? Like Matt Murdoch. I don't believe in the comics he can sense things with them.
Speaker 2: This is like, this is pushing it.
Speaker 3: It's such a drummy that two of them.
Speaker 6: I'm like, God would have to be really good, like like so, I mean, yeah, why would this random cop that Matt Mourta fucking molly wopped like three episodes ago.
Speaker 3: Why does he know who had the bloods? I guess because of Wilson Fisk. I don't know. It's so silly, and then's so good.
Speaker 1: I want to add one more thing, because then there's the b roll which shows, you know, to give us a sense of a passion of time. As Matt you know, jumps up to the rooftops I guess, and swings over to Heather's place, it's broad daylight, like Heather. Heather is of course taking she's you know, it's the daytime. She's taking patients during normal work hours.
Speaker 3: So is like thinking, sensibly, Matt broad daylight, he is on one in this episode, and I think actually that I will say I think that is an underrated part of this episode from kind of reading around while I was doing my rewatch for this, It's like, I actually think that we see Matt here at his most Matt, but also at his worst, where he's lying to Heather, he's not cooperating with the people that he's supposed to trust. He's obsessed with Fisk, he's obsessed with Muse. He doesn't have any control, or he doesn't have a good amount of self control. In this episode, he's.
Speaker 2: Having sex wild bleeding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like he's not even pressed your wounds about himself and his own health. And then he's going through the sky as the devil in the middle of the day, like he's not thinking about things. And you know what, ironically, this is also my favorite kind of of storytelling too, because like he he does rush to get to Heather's office, but Indiana Jones style, like, would it have made any difference if he wasn't there in this case because it's not him who kills Mews.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a good point. So Heather comes to she finds Muse in full mus get up.
Speaker 2: He's like, got the whole.
Speaker 1: Great suit, the white suit, the little beanie on top of the mask, which is so over the top. I love that kind of like young millennial gen Z villain look with the beanie on top.
Speaker 3: I was like, I got out. He was like, I can't be looking. I don't want to say. Moss Cat is like, I gotta put the beanie on. I gotta have my little jeans. Like it's very still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really like Williamsburg kind of like hanging around and it's Bushwick or whatever. I like, it's good. So he gets really mad because Heather won't address him as Muse, which is like and then he gets all his blood draining ship out and he starts draining Heather's blood. Heather is like, really, roasting your nos. She's calling him a coward, and she breaks free. And then I will say that for a Taekwon Do expert, yes, he only trained for three months before killing his cloth. But if we saw him some fight, Matt really well, he is a hard time with Heather.
Speaker 3: Heathern Hens does not have like Heaven does not have like martial arts skills. Again, some Heath gives him a but she gives him a good run. She does. I will say she does do some classic like female self defense head buying. That's one of the number one things you're taught to get on the back, dropped the headlight from the.
Speaker 2: Back, choked the dye.
Speaker 3: She does a good job. And also I do think like mus is definitely in a stressed out situation because he made the mistake of like going there and showing himself as Bastian and telling her about his trauma. So now she's just like, you're pussy, You're.
Speaker 2: Calling him by his name and shit.
Speaker 3: He's like, I'm muse, anyone who has a mosque is a coward. I'm like, okay, we get it. There.
Speaker 2: Matt comes through the window and then there's a big fight.
Speaker 1: Great fight, big, big, big brutal, brutal, brutal fight that includes Matt like spearing him through the chest backward, like through the back with his like trunch and spike like he just caught like a marlin, and then like reeling him in.
Speaker 2: So this goes on for a little bit while.
Speaker 1: But then to your point, it is Heather who grabs Muses gun and guns down music. Now, yes, Muses dead and she collapses from blood loss, and.
Speaker 3: Matt big change, get out of there.
Speaker 2: Big change in the comics.
Speaker 1: And Matt has to get out of there because Fisk's dirty Cop task Force, by which I mean they're not investigating dirty cops.
Speaker 2: They are dirty cops.
Speaker 3: They are They're all the dirty.
Speaker 2: Cops Fikes dirty cop task Forses, like in the building there.
Speaker 3: You know. I have to say, though, yeah, this is again bad Matt behavior. If that was me and my girlfriend who is my longtime girlfriend in this context, and she's bleeding out on the floor, I would just take up with me and then drop her at the hospital. Like he just leaves on the floor and she's bleed it out and she just ran next to Muse, the guy who tried to kill her, and the toss fors come in and they're like what happened? And I'm like, Matt, what the fuck? Bro? Like Spider Man would have taken Spider Man would have taken spider Man would have taken it, so you know, maybe, you know, maybe Matt is like a as like a normal strength man was thinking I just got in this crazy fight, and also like maybe I'll.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: He gets out of there. Sometime later, Fisk comes to the crime scene, which big no, no, the mayor come directly through crimes of whatever.
Speaker 3: He's so bait this guy.
Speaker 2: This guy.
Speaker 1: He goes to see Mus's corpse, but he gets the really bad news that in fact, Daredevil was in the office before the task Force got there and he jumped out the window.
Speaker 3: And also he killed Mews. And and Fisk is like no, no, no, no, no, you guys killed Mws, didn't you. And they're like yeah, I get oh yeah, yeah totally what am I think? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sorry, we're dirty cops. We should be lying all the time. Cool killed Mus? Like, give me a break, bb Or.
Speaker 1: It goes to a meeting at Mayor Fisk's office to find Daniel sitting in Fisk's chair with his feet up on the desk, he's he's comfortable, he's very very confident. He's very very comfortable, and he's pissed. He's pissed because he's like, Babe, you've been using me to break news for newsleaks true. And she's like, yeah, but you got drunk and you just were talking shit.
Speaker 2: So what am I supposed to do? I'm a journalist, that's my job.
Speaker 3: And he's also like, and I see you making a video about how dead Evil was the one who stopped muse, but that was the task post and she's like, no, it wasn't. And he's like, well, I think you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Say it was, that's right, and he basically says, get on the fucking Fisk train or your life is going to be one big shit storm because Fisk is the mayor and I am the mayor's guy, and you gotta do the ship that the fucking mayor says.
Speaker 2: And it's unclear where we go with that, but BB looks.
Speaker 3: Look, she looks not happy at this, but I will say, look, I'm a BB Anna Daniel. I'm not a Daniel fan as his behavior, but I think he's a good character. And I also am a BB defender because I think that's a very interesting way of exploring ben Yurik's kind of legacy. But as I said in the discord this morning, I think from what we know of Boebe and what we know of Daniel, I think she would have just like throat punched him and walked out. Like I just don't see a way that she's threatened by this guy. But maybe she's playing him.
Speaker 1: Maybe what is the threat I don't get, Like, what.
Speaker 3: What can he make Wilson fit? What can he do? Like she's already been trying to expose Wilson fit.
Speaker 2: All he cares about his daredebil Like he's not gonna be bb Urik.
Speaker 1: He doesn't care about anyway. Heather wakes up to find Matt at her bedside in the hospital. She's obviously very very shaken up, still very traumatized from what happened. They kind of talk in circles about stuff, but don't.
Speaker 3: She's talking about dead Evil shows off and he says her name. Also. I was like, Matt, if you don't want her to realize you're dead Edvil, you're showing up in your little red glasses after your Red Eyes of the Dead Evil mosque was staring down.
Speaker 1: I would get a different colored lens just for this specific yeah time. But he still can't be honest that even after she almost died, which again, Matt, big problem.
Speaker 2: Big, big problem.
Speaker 1: So they can't they they're like kind of not able to talk on that sincere level. So she just turns on the TV and of course it's the news conference of Fisk with the Task Force. He's standing in front of the Task Force and he's got all the muse just like the New York and White PD cops do the dope on the table. You know, they got all muses, fucking drawings and all this shit on the table.
Speaker 3: Oh he did so many paintings.
Speaker 1: And then Fisk you know, holds up the muse mask is like, we did it, We got them. Meanwhile, Vanessa is is at home and she's texting the address of the Wonderful and the historic Balmont's restaurant.
Speaker 3: Wow, they said.
Speaker 1: One hundred and twenty five year old Italian restaurant and has all the vibes there in Williamsburg.
Speaker 2: Great if you're in New York, check it out.
Speaker 1: And she's texting him that the address to it, to whoever that is.
Speaker 2: And then we realize that it's Luca.
Speaker 1: Luca gets this text, and then we see that Wilson is eating alone at Beaumont's. He's digging into some chicken parmesan or something. Luca goes in there. He's got his gun out, He's going in for the kill, but before he can even get.
Speaker 2: Close, Buck shoots him. Buck's like hiding in the shadows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so good.
Speaker 1: Fisk doesn't even flinch, keeps eating, and then he calls and this is like a very mister and missus Smith.
Speaker 2: Oh I call it miss mister and missus Fisk. It's very mister and missus Smith.
Speaker 1: In that Fisk understanding completely that Vanessa just tried to have him fucking whacked. Then calls her in this very kind of like passive aggressive way and is like, Oh, I'm.
Speaker 2: At Belle Monty's eating chicken.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's like, COVID, tell her I'm eating a wonderful chicken parmesan.
Speaker 5: If she likes some, I would, I'll take it home.
Speaker 2: To her and uh.
Speaker 1: And then we end this very entertaining and fun episode that I loved. That is that was fantastically silly in a very comic book, deeply.
Speaker 3: Goofy in a way that is also deeply enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Yes, your thoughts about this episode?
Speaker 3: Yes, I like this episode. I will say I do think that critiques of people saying like, could we have spent more time with mus Yeah, I think so. But also there's a there's a limited time, and I do like a world where we are spending less time with like weird, serious, very serial killer male.
Speaker 1: It's very book is to introduce a villain for two issues or episodes and then you're gone.
Speaker 3: And also realistically he's been in it since the beginning, so it really it's like a seven. It's like maybe I think episode one was the first time we saw one of his murals, and then we kind of start to talking about him in episode two. He's gone by episode seven, five to six issue arc I think is very fair. I like where when I think it was interesting to have Heather kill him instead of blind spot, I think we'll likely see her kind of be dealing with the guilt of that. I would also say it's one of our super producers put in the chat like is Matt seeing her this facing the paint offensive? Honestly, like maybe in a different story, but the version of blindness that Matt Murder presents is generally offensive anyway, Like, yeah, he's playing blind using his cane all that kind of stuff, But realistically, the way that his powers work, whether you're in the comic, he's blind, he lost, he's vision impaired, but he has other supernatural senses from the magical goo and toxic waste that you know, blinded him, that allow him from the comics to the show to the beloved ben Affleck the Devil movie, there are many different ways that Matt sees and can see people. So honestly, it's always like slightly offensive, but we still love him because he's Matt Murdock and that's also comics. Okay. Something I've been loving and friend of the pod Nika Shukla text me about this is like, I think something they're doing so well in this season is the duality and the kind of joint journey of Matt back to Dead Evil and Wilson back to Kingpin. Like, I just love the kind of really interesting reflections of each other. I think that is the best thing you can do with a superhero, and I think it's at the heart of all the great Batman movies. Is like, well, yeah, and I think here, I really feel like they're doing it. And I kind of also like that the relationship between Fisk and Vanessa and Matt and Heather, they both have their own kind of weird complexities and lies, and I'm interested to see if Heather's going to try and unmask Matt. That's like, this is.
Speaker 2: What it feels like.
Speaker 1: It feels like like the way she addressed Muse is a coward and all this stuff and her in exactly vigilants. It's clear to me that we're going we're heading towards a moment where Heather goes on some tirade about mask vigilantes and how their parents didn't love them and their cowards and they're all like, you know, trying to deal with some sort of insecurity that they have in their own life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they had.
Speaker 1: Masks going to get really keyed up about this and be like, but Devil's cool.
Speaker 2: That that guy, But that one is, yeah, I know the.
Speaker 3: Right, he's doing something good. He's definitely not traumatized. Another good questionnaire is what causes a trained therapist to call me usic psychopath? Honestly boso as well? That is not a good therapist like, I have to say, I was watching this episode and I was like, babe, like the way that you quickly like would just like, so you did that to impress your parents. I'm like, just let the man talk a little, but you don't mean TV.
Speaker 2: That's fine, yea. I will say one thing that you were.
Speaker 1: Talking about, the the Fisk Matt kind of mirror structure of this, like emotional arcs of this.
Speaker 2: I really like that as well.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting to me that Fisk is actually much more honest in his relationship yeah Vanessa than Matt is with Heather, like as a, which is crazy. That the psychopathic, meglomaniac villain is in a much more loving, trusting, and sincere and honest relationship with his crime boss former art dealer wife than mad Is.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. And I also love that they continue.
Speaker 1: To signal Fisk's journey back to Kingpins with bigger and more extravagant meals, like she's just making wonderful meals like he was making he was cooking at home, and now it's like we've gotten to the point where he's like, I gotta go out to Belmonte.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gotta be eating this delicious meal. I think that's an interesting like conversation to be had there by I'm sure much smaller and intelligent people than me. I would love to read someone's kind of writing or thesis on that, because I think there's two ways to look at one. Obviously, that kind of the classic like connecting fatness with badness, but I don't actually think that's what they're doing here. I think that there's something really interesting about the idea of Fisk becoming more true to himself and more honest with himself about who he is and what he wants to be, and that's represented by eating more deliciously and kind of like being able to follow the wants that he has and doing that through food. I think it is so interesting and I love to see it because, honestly, like he's a corrupt mayor, I'd rather he was just kingpin, like just being kingpin guy. Also, I think Vanessa as a successful crime boss who's now like annoyed at her husband who's like holding her back with her shuck the bed really really interesting and meets something I was expecting them to explore this season.
Speaker 2: I think Matt could really troll Wilson by saying things like Venessa's a new perfume is really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that Oh my gosh, could you imagine? And if he just thought it like implying, I mean Vanessa too, that would be a great way for them to fuck with each other. And I do think as we head into.
Speaker 2: Who is this very handsome lawyer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, who is this with this red glass? He looks wonderful. I also love how like kind of betrayed Wilson is that Matt is that devil again because they made that made this agreement and that Dina, but also really he's waiting for Matt's permission to be I love again. And I think that's really interesting, and that's interesting.
Speaker 1: That's really the most of them, the two it's really the most intimate relationship that either of them have is with each other. They both know the truth, the whole truth, no one yeah, and it's like are both looking to each other as the signal that, Yeah, it's okay, go back, go back to doing this stuff.
Speaker 3: And it's the it's the it's the Batman Joker relationship. Really is that we get in the comics, but so often don't really get in the movies and don't have time to explore because they never have Batman be a main character in a real TV show or a non animated show, But yeah, I just think it's that's what keeps me hooked. And also, like, I love silly comic book shit, and this is.
Speaker 6: Like incredibly silly, silly.
Speaker 3: Comic sy Like I know that Matt and Wilson are gonna keep fucking with each other as this season goes to.
Speaker 1: An end, and that's the best thing to believe it must The question to me is wil Venness try again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, will she try again to kill them?
Speaker 3: Also will it be revealed? And this might just be my Vanessa bias showing, but like, also Wilson had buck they're ready to kill Lucas. So there is a version where she let him know, Hey, Lucas saying this, I waited that her show her allegiance to Wilson, but she was also probably like, well, if he did do it, like I would have used who upset.
Speaker 2: My read is that.
Speaker 1: She obviously gave you know, Luca the location of Wilson, but then also knew that Luca had no shot at taking down Wilson. And I think that what she's doing is she's trying to get him back into Kingpin mode. Fuck this Mayor ship. The mayorshit is the Mayor shit is ruining everything.
Speaker 3: Imagine if we were both crime bosses, how would be fully Hello, I'm Mallory, a little like, you know, a little criminal vibe. I think we could do it.
Speaker 2: This is flirting for her. Yes, let me give you.
Speaker 1: A little upstart gang leader who's talking ship for you to kill.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly and then he's like, let me bring you home some dinner, so I obviously locked. And also I think the funniest thing about this is like this motherfucker came in with a handgun, Like King Pen has already been shot in the head direct by an assassin who is also his daughter that he acknowledges in this season, and it still didn't kill him. And now he doesn't even wear an eyepatch, Like, you are never gonna kill him with a gun, Luca, that was a terrible idea. You gotta light chop this man's head off or something.
Speaker 1: In the next few episodes of X ray Vision, join us tomorrow as we act to the Nintendo Direct news switch to News who We've also got news on Saturday and Monday, we're celebrating thirty years of a goofy movie.
Speaker 2: Oh good friend of the pod, Danny Fernandez. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Iron.
Speaker 3: Special Thanks to Soul Rubin. Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi are Discord moderator