Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal. Hell for me, I'm a man. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy, you want to be happy for a day? Edith state is that woo woom?
Speaker 2: And Dean and Tye.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the UFO Show. Mister Rubinstein. My name is ty hilden Brandt. His name, of course is Dan Rubinstein. This is the Solid Verbal, but on Fridays, on Fridays, this is the UFO Show where we talk about big picture subjects. While we're on this Friday Orbit. This currently unnamed you Friday.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's the U. Maybe it's unnamed this week.
Speaker 3: It could be undeterred, unturned, deterred, undeterred Friday Orbit.
Speaker 1: I like it the Big ten and potentially the PAC twelve restart, possibly in the case of the BAC twelve their football season in the fall of twenty twenty. Undeterred. What about underrated?
Speaker 3: As we think forward to our game that we're going to play this evening.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's fully underrated, though, I think what we're our game, which we can call right now and you can play our kind of spooky ambient music is called Stars Are Born. So I'm not saying these players that we will be naming after we discuss some news are underrated. I'm just saying they are going to come into their own. They're not fully formed like stars proto stars. I learned that's what stars are called when they're infant stars. And I had to look up how stars are formed on NASA dot gov because my science knowledge is lacking. But that's why we're here tying the while we're undeterred.
Speaker 3: Friday orbit could be undulating too. It's always an option throwing that out.
Speaker 1: Stars are born within the clouds of dust and scattered throughout most galaxies. A familiar example of such this is from NASA dooc gov as a dust cloud is the Orion nebula. Of course, really fun phrasing to say, turbulence deep within these clouds gives rise to knots, not with sufficient mass that the gas and dust can begin to collapse under its own gravitational attraction. So I guess it's sort of foggy gassy explosions.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it takes millions of years literal explosions in the sky right for these types of reactions to occur.
Speaker 1: Dan, Yeah, explosions in the sky. That's what we're going to call it. So we are going to look at stars just forming right now that are I don't know if it's a new starter. I don't know if it's someone who showed potential limited action last year, a transfer, a highly touted recruit, somebody making a leap. But before we get there, Ty, and we'll play that music once again. I promise, Yes, should we get into some news, let's get into Solid Verbal universe. The universe is a space term. Yeah, and uh, just college football. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: At long last, Dan, we have break no.
Speaker 3: Boop, My god in heaven. We have been teasing this for as far back as I can remember. Now my memory ain't as good as it used to be, Dan, But for at least the last couple months, you and I have been kicking around things that we're working on in the lab, and well, we're finally at a point where we're ready to start revealing more details about the forthcoming Solid Verbal podcast network.
Speaker 1: Yeah, long has to be coming.
Speaker 2: In the lab.
Speaker 3: And not only are we pleased to announce the Soliverble podcast network, we're also very excited to announce the first podcast new podcast on the solivrable podcast networked in and not only that, but the first episode is out there now. We did it under all y'all's noses so that you can move right from what you're doing here and listen to something we're calling Big Boy Bets.
Speaker 2: Here's the trailer.
Speaker 1: Have a listen, hey, everybody, and welcome to.
Speaker 2: Big Boy Bets.
Speaker 1: Big Boy Bets a show that celebrates college football courage with your hard earned currency, and celebrates big boys of all shapes and sizes, because being a big boy, Jeff has nothing to do with your size or gender, but rather a state of mind that separates you from mediums everywhere. My name is Dan Rubinstein. On the other line is Jeff Schwartz, arguably the biggest boy of all big boys. Jeff, How's life?
Speaker 4: It is fantastic, you know, being a big boys much being called fat, So I appreciate going with big boys that are just fat people who gamble, which there's a lot of us, though a lot.
Speaker 1: Of fat people gamble on our chalkboard of potential names. Fat people who gamble I don't think.
Speaker 4: Was in the final flour, but Big Boy Bets is a much nicer way to talk about gambling. And food and being big and everything we're going to do on this podcast.
Speaker 1: I agree. So everybody, take a second. Subscribe to Big Boy Bets wherever you listen to podcasts. We've got big picks, big stories, big guests, you name it, and it's all for you. See as soon that was great, let me stop this.
Speaker 2: Whoo.
Speaker 3: So this is exciting, Dan, tell me more about Big Boy Bets.
Speaker 1: All right. So, Big Boy Bets is the first part on an expanding solid verbal universe universe say it, universe, universe, universe universe. It's the first part. There are there are there's more news to come, I believe within the next I don't know week or so something like that. We are hoping dotting eyes and crossing lowercase t's and jays and all those sorts of things like that. So Big Boy Bets, as you just heard, is a show I co host with our dear friend Jeff Schwartz, stemming from the fact that we used to host for ESPN plus a college football picking show together as it relates to wagering and betting, and also every time I eat food with Jeff, he has to sit and explain to me what his life is like as a very large human. I'm not talking fat, I'm not talking tall, although he is tall. I'm talking he just has mass and I don't have mass. And so he explains to me, and it's always wild and entertaining what he goes through as a former NFL and obviously college football offensive lineman. And so we are going to include that in the show Big Boy Bets. And once again, as I mentioned in the trailer, you do not have to be big. You do not have to be a boy. It has nothing to do with your size or your gender to make Big Boy Bets or learn or lead the lifestyle of a big boy. So we're very excited because Jeff is sort of endlessly fascinating to me when he talks about his theories and how he lives his life. For example, I know he loves DM music, but he would only go to an EDM show if he is allowed to sit down somewhere, which generally and typically is not the point of an DM show. So just Jeff's Jeff's takes, and I love them. So that is going to be weekly throughout the college football season and hopefully beyond. But we're going to be making picks and celebrating all things big and boy, and it could be celebrating a large animal, a large rock, a large town. Whatever. We're going to celebrate an honor and can't wait to do more of it. So the first episode is up. We're making picks for this. This is a Friday, so it's tomorrow's games and we talk about core body temperature. That's bodisode one, correct.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I'm excited to have this now as part of our growing universe, and very excited to welcome Jeff to the family. On timefront of the show call siding yes, much more to come. We promised you elsewhere in actual college football, non podcast network related news, the Big Ten is back. We were down it back. We were right what we called it. There was some speculation that maybe it would be October tenth, the seventeenth flow and behold, it's the twenty fourth. They're going to kick off their season after a unanimous vote to resume competition among the league's presidents and chancellors. They cited daily testing capabilities and a stronger confidence in the latest medical information. This was all announced on Wednesday morning, so when we recorded our show that we dropped on Wednesday morning, that of course was recorded as we said, at around five pm on Tuesday evening. The news did come out the very next day. It was not unexpected, but many folks have been asking what what changed. What they're saying changed is the daily testing capability and this stronger confidence, specifically citing stronger confidence based on what the medical people are telling them.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 3: So not sure how all this is going to work. I do know we have to figure out a way to do a.
Speaker 2: Big ten preview.
Speaker 3: Now, yes that's true amid games actually going on out there, which would be new territory for us. But eight games is the way it's looking. They're not going to have the wiggle room during the season the way that the SEC and the Big twelve and the ACC have kind of done. But provided they can complete their season before December twentieth, which is when selection day is for the playoff, presumably these teams could and should be included in that discussion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and by wiggle room, you of course mean there's no spare weeks to throw in a postponed and rescheduled matchup the way other conferences. So that's interesting certainly because if Big Twelve teams, namely perhaps ones that are teams with playoff aspirations if they miss a game or two and suddenly they go six and oh instead of eight and o, nine and oh, seven and oh and other teams that are competing are nine and oh, ten and oh, eleven and oh something like that. That's interesting, or nine and one ten and one is what is more impressive right now, and that you also neglected to mention perhaps the weirdest part of all of this, which is on championship weekend, number one versus number one in the divisions play each other as per usual and normal protocol, but number two and number two play number three, and number three play number four, number four play and so forth, so we get a full championship slate, I guess, instead of strictly a championship game. So it's going to be different. And tip of the hat to the Big ten for being as specific as possible about the testing and how often they're, you know, doing these these antigen tests, and they're setting up a cardiovascular database to to be as transparent as possible so experts can study the result of positive tests on athletes, on high level athletes, and that anybody who does test positive will have to be cleared from a cardiovascular perspective, so it seems like they're taking all protocols. I guess there's a red, orange, and green level both as relates to the team and to the population as a whole. And if positive tests dip too far into a certain percentage, then the team has to take a week off. So there there, it's spelled out better than it ever has been within the Big Ten. So hopefully this is a difference maker and players can stay healthy and teams can make informed decisions and everybody around players has a certain amount of peace of mind given the structures in place.
Speaker 3: Well, with that news coming out, the next logical question was what would the Big Tens dance partner do the PAC twelve your recall. When the Big Ten announced its news, the PAC twelve also followed suit. This is initially when they decided to postpone until spring. Now, yeah, the dust has been kicked up on the PAC twelve as well. There are more hurdles, at least as it relates to local governments. I saw the governors of both California and Oregon had initially posed some issue with this being so it was not going to be allowed. It seems as if that part has been rectified. Dan, maybe you can clear that up for me, because I don't fully understand what all that entails. But yeah, it also seems as if the PAC twelve may try to shoot for that very same weekend. Whether or not that's attainable remains to be seen. It sounds like it might be easier for the PAC twelve to shoot from maybe early November. Of course, that make it very difficult to squeeze it under the wire if they want to be part of the playoff. But I think this is all going to a place where we've got Power five football in its entirety in some way, shape or form before the end of October or first weekend of November.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hypothetically. Hypothetically, Yeah, so some of it, as best as I can tell, as best as I know and from what I've read, the hurdles that the PAC twelve at least was they were facing. It was a matter of the state of California and the state of Oregon not allowing for gatherings and sports gatherings and practices and competition. Whereas now Gavin Newsom, the governor of California, and Kate Brown, the governor of Oregon, have essentially given waivers to the f I guess, not FBS, but the Power five schools looking to restart perhaps this fall in twenty twenty Oregon, Oregon State in Oregon, and Stanford, cal usc UCLA in California. So that's a hurdle. Obviously, the air quality with all of the fires is a more natural hurdle, I suppose. And so they're still figuring all that out because there aren't indoor facilities everywhere. We don't want to, you know, see athletes practicing playing exerting force with possible danger to their lungs. But yeah, that is a hurdle that appears to be cleared. I did see our friend Bruce Feldman. He wrote a piece in which he quoted he was an anonymous PAC twelve coach who I'm getting really good I think at deciphering the speech patterns of anonymous coaches and figuring out who they are. It sounded a whole lot like a coach who coached a team I used to root for, who now coaches a different Pac twelve team. But it's just a guess on my front. But the coach seemed particularly salty about the conference not doing what was right for the player's health and safety, saying that they were essentially following the Big Ten out of public pressure and that they were going to be practice too soon and playing too soon, and that he was worried about a number of injuries much more so than normal occurring because of undue stress and pushing athletes too far, too quickly. So we'll see what happens. I know Oregon dismissed its players until they knew more information, and now they're coming back and quarantining, so I suppose, Yeah, October seems ambitious. Maybe early November, maybe Halloween weekend, so the very very end of October. But there's no way they're gonna be able to squeeze in enough games, it seems before that December twentieth selection show for the College Football Playoff. Not that the Pac twelve is a terrific record sending teams to the College Football Playoff, but if a six and oh team that dominates its schedule will be at I don't know USC or Oregon, whoever it's, and you're going to start making arguments, just like the Big Ten, like what does a does a six and oh move the needle? A seven and oh move the needle like a ten and one, a nine to one. It's it's going to be a very I think, probably not, but it'll be an interesting discussion depending on what that six or seven and oh looks like. I'm curious. I'm curious to see what types of just out of thin air arguments we're going to have to construct.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's going to be a very interesting fall, to say the least. We have not seen schedules yet, correct, So we need schedules.
Speaker 2: I think before we can do our previews.
Speaker 3: But it is coming. We will do our best to try and stay on top of it here. But at long last the news is official, at least on the Big Ten side, and we'll see see where things go, see what kind of format this takes on, and what kind of logistical challenges there are in front of us.
Speaker 2: Now, I should add on that.
Speaker 3: Very point, just because there is this now desire and apparently capacity to conduct games this fall from the Big Ten and other conferences, it does not mean by any stretch that the virus is defeated.
Speaker 2: Right. We're seeing that now.
Speaker 3: This very weekend with Charlotte and UNC being canceled, not postponed, just straight up canceled. Also, the UVA in Virginia Tech game which was previously postponed. They've got a new date, which is December of the twelfth, to try and replay that Commonwealth Cup game. So, you know, this is going to be an interesting state of affairs, especially for the Big Ten not having that buffer that they can work with with regard to scheduling. What happens if a game is in a similar state postponed, we've got positive COVID tests, How or when can they even replay that game? You know a lot of unanswered questions here, but we're just driving right into it and well again, see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's all right. And you know we've seen with the Big Ten. We saw well Wyatt Davis, the star offensive lineman for Ohio State. He is now trying to opt back in after opting out, given where he thought the Big Ten was going before and you know, a lack of Ohio State season, it was going to declare for the NFL Draft. I did see Dylan McCaffrey, who seemed to be in the running for the Michigan starting quarterback job. He decided to opt out of the season and he has entered that I don't know if it's the transfer portal whatever he has entered, he is transferring out of Michigan. Oh, we should do. We got a good transfer portal with our space UFO theme here actually, so we'll file that away. So. Yeah, there's still movements across the sport as it relates to opting out opting in, And it's going to be fast and furious in terms of trying to track everything and what it means and where everything is going. But that's why we're doing three plus sneak sneak preview tees shows a week here. So I'm fascinated by this all. And you know, most of thirty four percent of this is going to be rendered, you know, old by the time this show goes up. Can we play a game? Can we do that?
Speaker 2: I want to play a space game. Let's do it. Let's play that creepy music.
Speaker 1: Dan, did you know about star formation before I paced it in that paragraph?
Speaker 2: Generally?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like I know, somebody were to stop you on the street and say, Tyler James hilden Brandt, what is the formation of a star?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean did you answer it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Of course, Okay, I don't know. I couldn't really, I'm just supposed to know. And as a star exploding a nova or super nova, is that what that is?
Speaker 3: I think a super nova is bigger than a nova.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well I think we can agree on that a super nova is the biggest explosions that humans have ever seen. Okay, super powerful explosion of a star.
Speaker 3: And here today a nova is from maybe a white dwarf star and it's not quite as elaborate reserves.
Speaker 1: Let's get into explosions of talent. Let's get into.
Speaker 2: So pro Let's get into it. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: The names and I will give you your first pick here and I want to try and be as specific as possible. You can't say sam Ellinger. Sam Ellinger is a star. Sam Ellinger' is a star because he is nationally known. He has performed well a lot, not always, but well a lot on the national stage. You know, going back to that USC overtime win, you know, has win over Georgia with Texas, we know Sam Ellinger is a star. There is star power, star potential. I am talking about who to you looks like they're going to come into their own as a nationally not conference wide, not statewide.
Speaker 2: Known name nationally subjective?
Speaker 1: Is it subjective on my end because I'm the decider here, it kind of is yes, But nonetheless we plow forward.
Speaker 3: I'm going to throw out a name from Penn State. How do you feel about Journey Brown.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good it's a good candidate. He has performed on the national stage some but he was sharing was a Noah Kane got a number of carries last year, and it looks like Journey Brown with the restart of Penn State season. Yeah, Michaeh Parsons definitely had already shown star stuff, right, Journey Brown hit me with the case.
Speaker 3: Journey Brown, I think is going to be the featured back in this Penn State backfield. It should be a very good backfield. There's no doubt about that, no doubt about it. You know, he's going to have some help. He won't have to shoulder the entire load. But I think he's the featured guy. Last year, got the most carries off anyone in the backfield, had twelve touchdowns, so got the job done down at the goal line. He averaged I want to say, close to seven yards of carry. And so if Sean Clifford, if Sean Clifford can be a little bit more consistent against better teams in the game, that should presumably open up running lanes for guys like Journey Brown. And he's versatile in what we've seen of him, very versatile. So my guess is, if we see another season like you had last year, if Sean Clifford can take that step forward, he's up over a thousand yards easy, maybe gets a little bit more active in the passing game as well. And Jerney Brown is a name that a lot more people know outside the state of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I if penn State has any hope of going to the playoff or threatening the playoff light, it's going to because Jerney Brown has an enormous year because I don't see it happening through the air. So I think that's a good pick. I have a pick similar similarly to that he only had it looks like seventy three carries in the SEC last year. Jerry and Ealy for Ole Miss Okay, go on a ton of home run potential. Not a new name within the SEC, but last year, certainly as we discussed the best national running backs, he was not in that conversation. He was not the bell. Cowie was not the focus of the ole Miss offense all season long. I don't He had his first game with fifteen carries in the egg Bowl, so single digit carries most of the year until November where he really broke out against LSU when they did run all over the Tigers. He and John Reese plumbley, but had a nice egg Bowl average almost six yards per carry. Two sports star. I believe he plays baseball for ole Miss as well in a new, maybe even more offense friendly program under Lane Kiffin. I'm anticipating the use of Jerry and Eely to be versatile enough where he has cut in potential. We hear about running backs making cuts. I'm talking cut in like you're watching Penn State, Ohio State and we're cutting in to watch a Jerry and Eely run. That's what I think of him, and so I think his star power will will take a giant leap. How about a It'll take off ty at a launch into the stratosphere. This it's a themed show, people, Yeah, my pick is Jerry and Eally running back.
Speaker 2: I do like it.
Speaker 3: Does Tanner Morgan fit into the discussion, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think he broke through last year.
Speaker 3: Had a good year last year thirty two piggyback off of that thirty two hundred yards, thirty touchdowns, just seven interceptions.
Speaker 2: How do you want to piggyback off that?
Speaker 1: Chris Otman Bell Tye was the number three receiver from Minnesota last year, down Rashad Bateman and now of course Tyler Johnson. Tyler Johnson in the NFL, Rashad Bateman declared opting out of the season. Chris Otman bell sneaky weapon. Last year they were pretty balanced in terms of run pass. But when Chris Atman Bell, if you remember his early touchdown against Penn State, really nice with the ball in his hands. The yards after catch potential with CAB are pretty high. And with him stepping into the role, I know, so TOA loses. Uh what is it? Mike Shiraka to Penn State, Kirk Sharak, Kirk, excuse me, Kirk Sharaka to Penn State. Chris Ottman Bell c A B. I think is going to get a lot of attention out of this new I believe Mike Sandford offense. So that's my pick right there. I think he rises to the occasion.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was looking at two to two at well for Louisville pretty good.
Speaker 1: Was not a national name last year, so.
Speaker 3: Definitely not a national name. He caught seven balls in Louisville's first game. I think he's got potential. He's a little bit undersized, but I think he's he's got a ton of potential to maybe burst onto the scene here. Dan, you know, I talked about Louisville Louisville before. I don't know if I mentioned that to two can run a four to two seven, So the Duke Duke can run. Had a really good scoot. Yeah, I had a really good sophomore season over twelve hundred yard yards and like twelve touchdowns.
Speaker 2: So he's just not big.
Speaker 3: You got to get past the fact that he's not big, but he can change direction super quickly. And I think there's probably a budding relationship between him and our good friend Michale Mchall Cunningham.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, he got twelve hundred yards worth last year. Not a national name, but certainly a household name within the ACC receiving conversations. He finished, what did he finish? He finished in the top fifteen nationally in yards per game, and I think probably higher than that. In overall yards. Yeah, he finished eighth in the nation, right behind Tyler Johnson. So he was a top ten receiver in terms of total receiving yards. But the guys ahead of him, for sure, be it at Texas or LSU or Oklahoma, I think we're a little more.
Speaker 2: Household, That's what I'm saying, more household too.
Speaker 1: Is only a sophomore.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, his name is two two yeah, short Forgitarius, but too too for sure to towo to to two. Who else he got Hendon Hooker? I'll stay in the ACC. I talked about my crush on Hendon Hooker on our ACC preview show for Virginia Tech. But it has just felt like far too long since Virginia Tech has had a reasonably long term optimistic quarterback name and the best of Hendon Hooker as a dual thread able to extend plays or just take off with his legs. I think he has He has a tantalizing ceiling, and you know, maybe the receiving core isn't where it was a few years ago, but I think he is the type of player who can turn a B plus receiver into an A, can turn a C plus receiver into a B plus just because he throws with touch, he seems to have command, he has poise, and is a part of and I'll just speak for myself on this, but he's a part of that grouping of ACC quarterbacks that I forget about when I when I start listing guys that you know, Sam Howell and Michael Cunningham and Trevor Lawrence, that for some reason, and I don't know if it's just Virginia Tech's rocky last few years, Hendon Hooker gets left out. And I love Hendon Hooker, I just he's just off my grid a little bit. And every time I remember that he is also one of those ACC quarterbacks, I'm that much more impressed with the grouping. So Hendon Hooker, I think gives Virginia Tech a ceiling that they haven't had in a while. And if he performs anywhere near his potential, people in Phoenix or Minneapolis or Lubbock will start to get those Hendon Hooker vapors.
Speaker 3: Do you know who led the SEC last year in solo tackles?
Speaker 2: I do not. A gentleman by the name of Nick Bolton.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me more.
Speaker 3: Nick Bolton was a sophomore last year sophomore linebacker for Missouri, seventy four solo tackles that was first in the SEC. He had one hundred and three total tackles, eight and a half tackles for loss, a sack, and seven passes defended to go along with two interceptions. He is clearly going to be the best player on the Missouri defense, maybe the best player on Missouri's team. He's underrated. I expect this is a name that we're going to hear a lot more about as we go into this season. The problem for him will be that Missouri's I think, do for not that great of an actual college football season. So a lot of potential to be the star on a not so great team. But we know this is a Missouri squad that, given some of its churn with bringing in a new coach, they tried to keep the defensive staff in place to maintain some level of continuity there. You would think that that would benefit someone like a Nick Bolton, who again probably the best player on that side of the football for the Tigers. So I don't know how many folks know about Nick Bolton, but my guess is if you haven't heard the name before, and if you're an SEC fan, you're gonna hear a lot more about him.
Speaker 1: I remember hearing the name. I couldn't tell you exactly how he plays other than if I had to guess, is a sure tackler. Yeah, Miszoo just keeps finding these dudes and developing these dudes at all three levels going back that I guess this past decade. Who can just play? And it's not surprising to me that they have one of these guys somewhat because somebody had to make tackles last year. It wasn't a defense stocked with guys making open field tackles left and right. They did suffer that big injury early on in the year last year, but I'm I'm always ready for there to be a out of nowhere Week nine or ten. This guy's an All American a safety or outside linebacker or defensive tackle coming from a Zoo, So yeah, ho hum.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have prototypical size for the linebacker position, but he's got obviously very good ball skills. It's good at defending the past. He's got really good closing speed, takes good angle, so he does a lot right. He obviously had over one hundred tackles. Last year, so he knows how to play the position, but not sure. A lot of people know about Nick Bolton, more people should.
Speaker 1: He had committed to Washington Initially. He was an avid reader for his high school book club.
Speaker 2: You don't know you're looking this up.
Speaker 1: I'm looking this up from Saturday down South. I'll give them the credit right here. That's my his father, Carlos played at Louisiana Tech. Our friends at PFF love the guy. He is a crazy successful run stopper. Cool.
Speaker 2: Who else you got?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna stick with linebacker Henry to Toe in the SEC. Tennessee, Yeah from I think California came in and one of those guys where it's not like Tennessee had a lack of dudes, had a lack of talent on either side of the ball. Maybe not the highest end in their division, but I mean definitely not. But when a guy comes in and starts at a freshman as a freshman, there's something special about him and watching him understand SEC offenses almost immediately, make the correct reads, make correct calls, and make plays sideline to sideline. He was terrific to watch immediately, which is not always the case and for him to be thrown in and succeed like he did. I love watching that. And it's his name is very easy to say. By the way, it might seem intimidating. Hot Tooto, Henry Tooto, hank to to because we like changing names to sound weird. But yeah, he is all American caliber now and I think he is going to reach that ceiling. Is he is just a really really fun football watch.
Speaker 3: Give me somebody from Oregon that maybe we will have a chance to watch they decide that they want to play games.
Speaker 1: Potentially Devin Williams, who transferred from USC, A big receiver who Oregon down. What's his name? I'm already forgetting all my names. The transfer receiver from Penn State who was that big weapon for last year. I've blacked out Johnson, Juwan Johnson, Juwan Johnson. There you go. So there's an opening at receiver and they lost their starting tight end last year to injury and he moved on to the next level. So Devin Williams is a name, a big receiver target, was a blue chip recruit. He transferred in. And then they have the duo of linebackers that are coming in as true freshman five stars. That's Noah Sewell, who's Piney Sewell's little brother, and Justin Flow. Those are the two names that they are going to see action because I feel like Kevon Thibodeau is now already a known star after how he finished his year last year, So that would be that duo on defense, I think, more than anything, is going to be fascinating to watch because Oregon is not afraid to throw in freshmen into the rotation. So Justin Flow and Noah Seouol, Noah Sewell a bigger linebacker, Justin Flow, I think a more violent linebacker. Violent linebacker, yeah, almost in the I mean, what's his name at Asu Fontes Berfect that kind of maybe without the personal fouls, but the just controlled abandon If that's a phrase that he is just he will he will shoot through a gap and it looks like he's seeing red and cannot wait to watch what he's able to do in this what should be a very good Oregon defense. If we get to see the Ducks on the.
Speaker 3: Field for Notre Dame, I'll throw out Michael maher Uh the token baby Gronk for token baby gronk, Token baby Gronk for the Notre Dame fighting Irish freshman big Kid. Big Kid had a really good game in Week one against Duke. We'll see if he continues to stay active in the passing game.
Speaker 2: I guess is he absolutely will.
Speaker 3: The second player I have a bit of a love hate relationship with, if only because I screwed up his status when we did the initial preview. But Kevin Austin is a name that many a Notre Dame fans are excited to see more from. He's only played very very limited action, didn't play last year and then got hurt in the preseason. He is going to be coming back at some point very soon for the Irish and could provide a much needed boost in that wide receiving corps. Again, can Ian Book take advantage.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe remains to be seen. Perhaps I shouldn't rush to conclusions after week one. But Kevin Austin's a name that has been circulating in the Notre Dame world for quite some time now. And if he's out there, if he can stay healthy, and if they get them the ball, if again doing a lot of work in that sentence, he's a name that we could hear a lot more about especially now given Notre Dames prominence in a conference, you know, amid everything that's gone.
Speaker 1: On longtime ACC super fam.
Speaker 3: Amid all that has gone on, and how we've tossed and turned about who's playing, who's not playing, and Notre Dame jumps in.
Speaker 2: The sides they're going to join.
Speaker 3: The ACC on a one year, one year only basis. You have to wonder, now, given circumstances, we're right back where we started from. Did they even need to do that remains to be seen. But here we are, given their prominence in the ACC. Kevin Austin could could be a rising star.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to I think we got a number of good names out here. Ty, you can play the music again, you want it again? As we wrap up the segment. Oh yeah, so there's like little It sounds like it's sort of an infantile space.
Speaker 2: There's like de mining. Man, I don't know, it.
Speaker 1: Works for me.
Speaker 3: This is like the kind of music they play in a sci fi or a space movie when there's an explosion in the back half of the shuttle gets blown out and the astronauts are just sort of floating into the vacuum.
Speaker 2: To inevitable death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, you want to answer some questions I do.
Speaker 2: How does this work?
Speaker 1: Okay, here's what we're going to do. We're going to stop recording this show. We're going to hit record on our cameras and we're going to record what we call or dubbed the Bruin a Q and a class. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: If you want to watch and listen at the same time, I suggest subscribing to our YouTube channel. We'll drop some clips on our Instagram feed, so follow us. I think it's the solid verbal on YouTube and just solid verbal on Instagram, solid verbal on Twitter. But the full thing is going up on YouTube, and we've got a number of really good questions that are going to give us some nice little talking points. So let's go do that. Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 3: I'm excited about this, Dan, kind of our first video show, actual video show in quite some time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get your pretty face in full HD.
Speaker 3: Let's do it, all right, Well, thank you to everyone out there for listening to this podcast. Don't forget our big news earlier going out and check out Big Boy Bets. You can go to Bigboy Bets Dot Show, Bigboy Bets Dot Show for more information. If you want to subscribe to the newest podcast and the Solid Verbal podcast network, Dan, or if you want to sign up for emails, you can be notified every time a new show drops. In the meantime, don't forget to subscribe to this show soliverbal dot com. Don't forget to give us a call at four eight Verbal one. That's the reverbline where you can dial in during the week's action. Let us know what's on your mind. Or boy, Ryan's gonna cut up all of those voice messages in time for our Sunday recap show. What urge everyone to subscribe and review and like and tell your friends about us if you haven't all read, if you like what we're doing. College football season, at least that time of recording is just getting started. We will be with you all season long, Dan, for however long that takes.
Speaker 2: M We pledge to be with you and talk more college football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I'm right there. I agree.
Speaker 2: Let's crack open these bruises.
Speaker 3: Let's answer some questions in the meantime for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hilton Brand, thanks again for listening. We'll catch you all on Sunday. In the meantime, enjoy your weekend, Stay safe, stay solid, Peace
Speaker 1: All right.