Speaker 1: On this episode of The Heat Check, shockingly, alarmingly, trader Danny age has come out of retirement to take the job as a new GM. I could not be happier for this news, and I'll tell you why on the episode. I am right again, of course, and Celtics fans are wrong again. We get in now to how he became CEO and president and what it means for the Portland Trailblazers. And we also detail in excruciatingly detailed Steph's historic night and how he is now what we already knew, the greatest shooter in NBA history and probably forever after. And so maybe it's his father Dell like also still shooting. Del Curry still shooting. All right, Brock, let's get.
Speaker 2: It to it. I'm perfect, good Ray, I'm starting.
Speaker 1: Utah, but it's really about Portland. Utah Jazz announced that they are going to be hiring Danny Ainge as not only alternate governor but CEO of the team. Good job, good job, you touched us. Congratulations to uh never working in the NBA again. Uh, just taking some time for my personal health and wellness. Danny Ainge, somehow, he has made a full recovery in less than six months. This is according to the woj bo.
Speaker 3: This is the bomb.
Speaker 1: This is the sound of the woj bomb age will oversee basketball and Justin Xanik will remain GM. I have two things to say. One, I told you so I knew it. I fucking knew it. Yes I did. I try to tell Celtics fans this was a lie. When Danny Ainge retired, I was like, he was fired. You know, it's done. It's done for Danny Ainge. And the world is like, no, he he was not feeling well. He had some health issues, he had a heart thing. This is Urban Meyer, folks, this is what we're talking about. This is now six months later, he's CEO of the Utah jess what you think come on now, and all you Boston fans like, yeah, he's never gonna work again. This is the end of Danny Ainge. This is what he said. This is what he's tried to pedal to us, because he's a fucking pedler that he is. What like why they call him trader Danny. When I had quote, when I had health issues two years ago in the playoffs, I started thinking about it, played dramatic musicun Now you're surround by your six children in the hospital and they're saying, hey, he's doing some business. Hey, you need to quit doing this for work is causing you too much stress. That's probably when I started thinking about retirement, he explained. He said his health was more important, he needed to be with his family, and then he goes, yeah, then these two last year two years have been tough in the bubble. All these rules, all these scrutiny and protocols keeping us safe that I've had to go through has not made it as much fun. Wait, you mean a pandemic took the fun away, Dandy. I had to trust my instincts. My instincts told me a couple of months ago it was time for me to move on. The fact that nobody was trading with you probably was an indication that it was time.
Speaker 2: To move on. He said this.
Speaker 1: This is when you knew it was a lie. I don't know what my future holds. I don't have any plans, any plans right now, but I'm thinking about retiring when somebody retires the like. There is no plans. It's just me and the golf course and the world as my oyster. I might take up painting. When he says I I'm not sure what my future holds, he already knows he's got some things in the works. So me as a pessimist, which I am reading between the lines, it's to me meant this was not the last time, This is not the last that we had seen of Danny Ainge. He would pop up like little whack a Mole some other place, getting a new chance, new places to fleece, other gms, and my radar was ultra high. As someone who is a Portland Trailblazer fan, knowing we were on the ropes, I knew there was a possibility of that Danny Angel might come back to the Rowe city where he grew up, where he played Danny Ainge. He loves talking about how he's from Portland, and automatically people are like, oh, rumors swirling about Danny Ainge maybe the new GM Portland. And thank God, thank Jesus, thank the Latter Day Saints. That Mormonism is stronger than any other affiliation, that damn polygamy. I tell you what it's strong. I tell you what it causes you to go places. Who cares. Hometown doesn't matter. Coffee doesn't matter. Polygamy it rules all. And now now Mormon Danny goes back to Mormonville without any Starbucks around, and he gets to fucking lead the Mormon troops into battle. Thank fucking God.
Speaker 2: I tell you what.
Speaker 1: I tweeted this today. The best news is knowing that Danny Ainge is now hired. When we're in the middle of a GM search, we now cannot hire Danny Inge. Thank fucking God. I tell you what. Like when the world is thinking about chaos and they are like, we're we're very wounded right now. We are a wounded animal, and Danny Ainge would be the final stake in the heart of us that would kill us as a franchise, truthfully, Like it would be an immediate jolt. Fans would get excited, hometown hero goes back to Portland, and then we would slowly die. Just drip drip, drip, drip drip. Everybody knows he wasn't good, Like outside of Jason Tatum and Jaylen Brown, Like, what has Danny Ainge really done? Couldn't trade for shit? He got Evan Fournier got fleeced. Couldn't get Vusevich, they said no, couldn't get Aaron Gordon I said no, So he got Evan Fournier, the third best Orlando Magic, and he used up all of his taxpayer exception for Evan Fournier, who didn't even end up staying, who later became a New York nick Gross. He got Kemba Walker, who ended up being washed like Danny Ainge. Danny Ainge is not good. He's not a great talent evaluator. He's always trying to fleece everyone, and so people are they're tired of his games and they don't want to do any deals with them. Listen, I already had Neil O'll share the people they want to do deals with. I don't want to do that again. I want someone with fresh slate. You know when they in politics, they're like, oh, we can't have this guy because we know his record on this, you know, like Joe Cronin. Joe Cronin doesn't even have a record, Like there's nothing to even attack Joe Cronin on, Like you could Joe Cronin could do some deals, boy, And thank god we now have news. Damian Lillard came on the record last night to Jared Greenberg of TNT, and he put out this Jamie and Lillard told me tonight that he endorses Joe Cronin becoming the Blazers full time GM. WHOA tell you what, Because the wagons are circling, the venom is out, the world is against us. Newsbreakers are looking for chaos and they are in absolute shambles right now. They are sick because, let's be honest, the business, the newsbreakers, like WOJ, the entire NBA collective community wants Portland to become a dumpster fire. They do. They're rooting for chaos. They are rooting for us to be an upheaval right all. Not only does Terry Stotts get fired done, that's one piece of the puzzle. That's one little Jenga out the way. Then Neil o'shade the GM that was there when Dame gets drafted, he's gone. That's another Jenga out the way. Joe Cronin doesn't get hired. We had a new GM in he makes way. All of the staff then get fired, don't they. Now he brings in Tayshaun Prince, brings in all the Memphis Grizzlies guys that he's working with right now. So everybody's gone. It's just a baron. It's like that meme where Will Smith walks into the house and nobody's there. That's now all the Blazers, that's what.
Speaker 2: They're rooting for.
Speaker 1: That's what they are rooting for, because they want Damian Lillard to force a trade like and this is the environment that forcing a trade creates. That's that's the environment.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You already see right now that this is the case because ESPN right this second you can go online. This is many weeks after Damian Lillard has gone on the record for the millionth time and said, Hey, I don't want to leave Portland. I'm staying in Portland. And this is the headline on ESPN five big Damian Lillard trades. We want to see the Portland Trailblazers pursue. They want Dame gone. It's in their soul. They need it. It's what they need because the NBA, from a business perspective, is more fun when hometown hero, small market stars ask their way out, force their way to a huge market with a super team so that we can for the rest of their career shit on them for being disloyal. Damian Lillard have the same grit as he had in Portland now that he's a Los Angeles laker. Oh no, undisputed, Like you guys push this, you guys wanted this, He didn't even want to leave. You literally created all the environment. WOJ went on the records to say, Damian lowerd wants to get paid three hundred million until he's fifty years old every year so that he could make Damian Little look like an asshole, so that whatever GM and that oh GMS are reluctant to come to Portland because they don't want to pay Damien until he's in a wheelchair. And Damien only wants to stay if he's in a wheelchair getting paid two hundred and fifty million dollars a year. So we gotta get this motherfucker out. This is what I see what you're doing. You know, I see it. I see it so clearly in my head. So if you create, if the barber's gone, the GM's gone, the coach is gone, all the fucking players because we're gonna trade them. Use off, Nurkic gone. CJ McCollum gone. Don't even get me started about the team with CJ McCollum. Don't even get me started by the tea that I have on that use of Nirkish gone, CJ. McCollum gone, Andfredy Simon's gone. Roko who cares about Roko? But still he's gone, Like okay, so it's just everyone's gone, is dame even at fault if you ask for a trade. At that point, the owner is changing ownership. She's gonna be gone. He's already dead. Truthfully, he's gone, like he's dead. And this sister is now handling the state. She's gonna be selling the team. GM's gone. Coach is gone, owner's gone, coach is gone, players are gone, Barber's gone. Like the only thing really that's left is just the house, you know, the house and the city. And I get it, like it's more fun when a superstar is on a superstar market team, Like when Randy Moss was on the Vikings. Everybody's like, get him out of here, like he's so much better than this and he is, or like with Yannis and the Bucks and everybody's like, God, Yannis, Yannis needs to get out of here. Milwaukee's never gonna do anything Milwaukee will. I mean, they did do things. They did much better than we did. They made put the pieces, they bought, They got Jrew Holliday. You know, at least they did that. We could have had that. We had the first rights to Drew Holiday. The national press just calls these teams small market, and they say it with just this gross rancor, you know, like they just go like he would just be so much better as a Laker, he'd be so much better as a Patriot, or he'd be so much better as a Yankee, and like fuck them as somebody from Portland, Oregon. Fuck those people because they don't want us to have nice things. We get a nice thing accidentally because we traded Gerald Wallace to the Nets and somehow ended up with a sixth pick in the draft. Like we never are gonna be good enough or bad enough, excuse me, bad enough to get the six pick in the draft. Somehow we luck into Damian Lillard from Weber State and he's a superstar and we got him. You know what, Fuck you guys, Fuck you Sacramento that you took Thomas Robinson, Fuck you guys that you passed over Dame. We got him and he's okay staying with our gross team. He's fine with it, So it'sop pushing him out the door, you know, and Joe Cronin is our only chance of keeping Dame happy. In my opinion, Joe Cronin will keep him happy. Joe Cronin has been there since Damian Lillard was drafted. I think some semblance of consistency is important for Dame since everything around him is burning down to the ground into ashes, and you've got snakes in the grass trying to push him out, snakes in the grass trying to sully his reputation. And I don't think Tayshaun Prince or Sharif abdul Raheem or whoever the fuck they're circling the wagons around trying to hire, is going to give Dame what he wants. Because if Dame has to start over in Portland, isn't it the same as starting over in another city? Like if everything changes in Portland, at least it's still the same fan base that supported him from day one. And loyalty, loyalty, loyalty is more important than anything else. And at least he knows where he's going, at least he knows how to get Steph Curry. We finally can say it comfortably, We finally can say it with no clap back, he is the best three point shooter to ever do it. We already knew that, but now nobody can say anything back to us on Twitter about it because it's just the case. It's just the case. We've got three thousand threes already, probably gonna have another fifteen hundred to two thousand by the end of this whole game. But according to Steph, he needed the record in order to say it with his chest because you know, Steph is what he said. I'm comfortable saying I'm the best shooter in NBA history now finally, damn right. The funniest thing to me is that they're chasing for the record, uh, is that it completely derailed the season, like to a degree, Like not in a real way, but in a way that for those four games or three games or whatever it was. I mean, this team fucking looked terrible slump. As soon as Steph said I should have known. Soon as Steph said, yeah, I might put sixteen on Portland's head. I might break the record sixteen threes and also beat Clay's record while I'm at it, you had to know that other teams were going to take that. Personally, even an under manned Portland Trail Laser team. No CJ, no Dame, no Anthony Simons. It's just this here, little rocking out with his just literally no one, and they put him in prison. They clamped him. They were like, no, we'llf quadruple, We'll quinn tupple team you. I don't care who shoots the ball, but it's not gonna be you. Like, listen, little frail kid, I know you put twenty pounds a months. Will you not care? You are way too small? I have a Serbian over here. I think he's Serbian?
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Anyway? We have Yusuf Nurkic here and he is a million pounds and seven feet one. You're gonna get body checked all night. You're not breaking the record against us, And then every other team from then on it is like, yeah, you're also not breaking the record against us. It became a thing. It became a thing where the entire team, the entire Warriors team, was conspiring to get Steph the record, where they literally we're just not running any of their offense. It looks like the Portland Trailblazers out there. Truthfully, they looked sick. They look completely dysfunctional. It was just like, give the ball to Staph under every circle, doesn't matter if he's double team, triple team. Like if you have an open layoff, past the ball to staff, if you have a dunk, passed the ball to Staph. That's just the entire flow of the offense. Who cares about the beautiful game? Who cares about strength and numbers. It's about getting Steph the record. It's probably like pregame speech in the locker room, like listen, guys, we're six point favorites tonight. Don't care about that. What we care about is the six threes that Steph needs. We need two in the first quarter. We need Steph to shoot thirty threes. I don't care if you're open, it goes to Steph. And it was gross. Betting on the Warriors was a sweat during that time, and I cannot wait to get past this because they have looked awful, awful. The Blazers and Sixers blit Steph hard to get shots. Even Kerr had to come out and was like, hey, I realize saying anything about the record and how we were conspiring to get Steph the record might not have been a great call. Like I may have fucked us up a little bit given that, and like Steph even said, maybe, just maybe I shouldn't have like telegraphed it so obviously, like I was just gonna disrespect Portland or Philly, like Philly said, oh, we saw him come into Philadelphia. He was not getting the record at our place, like no chance. That is incredible. But eventually Steph got it. He only had two to go, and you knew he was gonna get two, and the best place for him to get it, the best time for him to get it. Considering that del Curry spoke to Mark Stein about this tremendous side story he told the Golden State Warriors, del Curry did as his as Steph surrogate, told Golden State, like, listen, you should just not even if Steph's there, don't draft him, like we already have plans to go to the Knicks at eight, Like we've already spoken to the Knicks. We want Steph to play in the garden, Like don't even do that, Like that's just not a good move for you. And Golden State said, respectfully, fuck you. If Steph is there, we're taking them and that's where his little ass will go, Like that's what will happen? And Minnesota of course bumbled the bag like they typically do, taking Ricky Rubio and some other scrub uh yep, what's that kid's name again from syric doesn't doesn't know, not waiters, doesn't even matter truthfully, because this is it's not Steph. Obviously it wasn't Steph, not even close to Steph. So yeah, now they end up in the in the Warriors. So for that to be a full circle knixt moment where Steph breaks the record with Ray Allen and attendance with Reggie Miller and attendance which they were not in attendance anywhere else. They come to the Garden. They know he can get too, two threes. Steph can get two threes. That's light work. Let's get those two threes immediately too, so that we can get about this game, so we can beat the Knicks by a million, which was hard for them to do, so we can we can get back to our warrior ways, like let's do this little uh these like this whole coronation thing. You know, Steph's mom was there, steph dad was there, Steph's dad. Tremendous look he's got now a single Steph dad single dow Oh oh god. He had this uh this, you gotta look it up. He had this T shirt on with a snake on it. He had a snake on it. Black tea, kind of snug snug tea, you know, like single, single, fifty something year old coming out. Probably lives in Marine Deale right now. And because that's where all the like single men go the devorce. So they say, got a snake on his chest. And then he's got a string bracelet on and he's got a new s curl. He's looking good, probably got some implants, I think, and sitting nowhere near Sonya, Curry got caught on the TV screen checking out a hottie to his side. Of course, doing his thing. He's a single man, that's what he can do.
Speaker 3: So he was there.
Speaker 1: Sonya was there somewhere close by, probably with Future or some rapper or something. She's fucking, so she's probably somewhere. I'm surprised he didn't show like some hot ass RnB singer with her or something, or some like thug ass that's like twenty one savage or something there because it's like probably perfect anyway. So they're there in attendance Steph's college coaches there in attendances, high school coaches in attendance, like everyone got the everyone understood the assignment he did, like come out, show out, and like be here for Steph. Steph gives the game ball to his dad. They shut the game down as soon as he hit that three. Wow. Like literally it was like dun no, no, no, it was literally like so crazy, I've never seen that before. They stopped the game so that Steph can enjoy and soak in that and soak soaking that moment, Like I don't know if there's been any other record set or beat that got that level of fanfare, but that just shows you how the NBA loves Steph. Like Steph is the golden boy of the NBA. And I think Clay probably would give be given that treatment as well, but Steph tremendous. And then other funny thing about that moment was that you know, Draymond Green is the number one player who has assisted to Steph in his career over four hundred I think it's four hundred and thirty eight at that point, four hundred and thirty eight assists to Steph. No other player has come close. And then you have so like, obviously the person who's going to assist Steph on his record breaking three should be Draymond Like that's only right. And you know that clip's gonna be played forever, like it's gonna be set in memory and stone and just played on a loop. And then you got Andrew Wiggins, who does it like Andrew not.
Speaker 2: The only thing.
Speaker 1: Andrew Wiggins loves more than not passing is making the moment about him, right, Like Andrew Wiggins cares more, only more about putting himself in the spotlight than he does. An open layup for Andrew Wiggins, Like, so they pass, the ball goes to Andrew right and they're doing this normal set. Ball goes down, He's got an open look like right at the room, and like a hot potato, he immediately cross court above everyone, perfect pass to stuff, Like where has that been Andrew Wiggins whole career, like just shows you he has no intention, no desire to pass at all, but perfect skip passed to staff for his record breaking three. And even Andrew Wiggins said, I've never passed out of that set one time, Like it's the only time in my career I've done that. Even Steve Kerrz, like, we've ran that set hundreds of times, a very common set. Never happened one time, Like that's the first time. Draymond Green salty, He's like, listen, man, I was supposed to get that assist. Andrew, speaking of not understanding the assignment, you can't get that. You don't even assist. Ever, you don't even have ten assists in your career, Andrew Wiggins, you can't have the record breaking assists? Did we gotta stop that? I said to a friend, like, Steph should have missed that three on purpose? Andrew Wiggins, you can't give me that. I'm gonna pass that back down to you. Fam No, no, apparently, get Steph gifted all of his longtime teammates with Rolex's for the record. He gave one to Iguitolla and Clay, but obviously not to Wiggins. Wiggins was not gonna give one, and and so Draymond said, Wiggins never passes out of that play. Never never, And so now we're going to see Andrew Wiggins on a loop for the rest of history. It's just gonna be who is that guy? I don't know, who's that passing to Steph? Oh? Yeah, you remember that Canadian that was like a big deal. He played for the Timberwolves.
Speaker 2: What was his name?
Speaker 1: That's that's where we're gonna be with Wiggins. And so at this point, I think, what, Steph's gonna have another four hundred and threes this year. If he plays another five years, he could have fifteen hundred threes on top of the current record, which seems kind of impossible to break. Another thing that's sort of amazing about this is that Steph with Reggie Miller kind of get a little bit wispy about this. With Reggie Miller basically foreshadowed this was going to happen in twenty fourteen. Let's go to that.
Speaker 3: Can you catch Ray Allen? I hope? So, I mean, that's.
Speaker 4: A test of longevity, consistency. I have a new found appreciation for exactly what it takes to get to that level.
Speaker 3: You know, health.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, you gotta be healthy. You gotta have some great screens to ovis. You gotta have, you know, guys that look for you, and you gotta be able to make shots and all sorts of moments and all sorts of ways.
Speaker 3: So I hope too.
Speaker 4: That's where I work every day to continue to you know, hone in on my skill three mitter on thousand and made pause.
Speaker 1: Reggie Miller at this point does not believe he's going to break the record whatsoever. He said, Hey, that's three thousand threes, my g and Steph's like, you know, I know, I know the number of three.
Speaker 3: Hopefully I'm playing long enough to get it done. Three thousand is the benchmark stuff. That's what that's I got my eyes on it.
Speaker 4: And obviously hopefully some some championships come along the way. But that's that's uh, that's the goal.
Speaker 1: Woo two thousand and fourteen, five years in a Steph's career, zero championships. At that point, he had only had nine hundred mad threes and five years, so he was only thirty percent of the way there. So at that rate, he would have had to play fifteen fifteen plus fifteen sixteen years in the league and then he started on a heater like four hundred threes a year, And you know, that's the story. That's history, and to me, it's it just shows you how incredible Steph's journey has been. For him to go from the kid that everyone slandered out of Davidson where on Twitter They're saying, is he even good enough to be does he even have the ball handling to be a point guard in the NBA? Like is he big enough? Like can he get his own shot? People were saying, can Steph get his own shot in the NBA? Like people like Doug Gottlieb. The joke that is Doug Gottlieb was like, I think Ricky Rubio and Johnny Flynn, that's what it was. And Johnny Flynn is a better player than Steph Curry. I think that's that's where we're at now. To me, that's what made it so special. He hit the game, the game pause for him to slow down and savor the man that is Steph Curry in no better place, no better moment than everyone who helped him there along the way for that journey. Very very cool. Apparently, also as an aside, Papa del Curry apparently shot his shot with some Instagram thought and apparently nailed it. He posted he posed with ig thought Anna Sharie, the girl that we all saw him macking with in the game, and two of her quote unquote friends, which are also like probably her cohort assassins to take down. Then he went from being a meme to the most divorced man in America at the beginning of the game to like, literally, now he's getting Dan Bazillier Bizarian memes in the span of like two hours, like he's now return of the back in like so that just shows you, like, shooters never die, like he was a sniper, as a hornet sniper, as a divorced fifty something year old, even with a snake T shirt. Shooters stay shooting, especially when their named Kurry. That's all the time that we have for the heat check. Well, be back Friday early, Squirrely morning, folks, We'll be talking about COVID. Sexy topic, funny topic, but we gotta do it.
Speaker 2: It's for the people.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you have to eat your Brussels sprouts. We will see you morning Friday morning. Please also follow us on TikTok and at this heat check and at trist To Creek and we will see you earlier.
Speaker 3: Squirrely, I'm a West Coast bad boy. Represent it. That's a bad tood is party bar hard very funny. You don't hear my tummy. I guess my money, my stomach ain't riding.
Speaker 2: Stop