Speaker 1: This episode is presented to you by DraftKings. The crown is yours. All we all do is get hot.
Speaker 2: At the right time, we knew he was gonna win the national championship.
Speaker 3: I'm playing with guys that work for Fortune five hundred companies against NBA players.
Speaker 4: These guys are still some of my closest friends today, and I love those guys so much, and I love what we had so much that we ended up going back.
Speaker 5: To school another year. You win, you're able to do.
Speaker 1: Something that's bigger than you.
Speaker 6: Besides Syracuse, who else was going to running to get you?
Speaker 5: In college?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I committed to like five schools.
Speaker 5: Trying to figure it out.
Speaker 7: I committed because I was just happy.
Speaker 6: Like what, I'm walking around school with the book bag full of letters in my bag every day it's a new school.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm coming. But I committed.
Speaker 2: I committed early to Serracuse my junior year on my birthday. That was like my birthday president to me. And I was still at Tuson. So when I get the old kill, I'm like, you get millions or left. This is what I'm saying. When you walking, you walk in the gym. Every college coach in Americas in there, so they looking at me like, yo, why you signed with while you committed Syracuse And they're like, you know you only committed.
Speaker 1: You know you did a verl you don't have to go.
Speaker 8: You don't have to go.
Speaker 2: So I'm saying that, and were playing and NBA scounselors in there. Every practice. The practice was like games. It was better than games.
Speaker 6: So at that point I'm like, oh, let me just let me just try it. I'm gonna open it back up. And then like I committed to like I went like Georgia, Georgia Tech.
Speaker 2: Jerry Jack and Chris Bosh was going down Junia Tech, so you know that that was one of the schools. Jay Wright was just at just got the job at Villanova. So I wanted to go to Villanova, but they already had people. Carolina already had people in my in my spot forgot who was there. Jawa Williamson was dead at that position.
Speaker 1: Your senior year of high school was two.
Speaker 2: My senior was, oh two, right, So then Serrah Chuse was like they had Preston Shumper three and he was leaving. So I was like, oh, I can come right in and play right away. And that's why I really stuck with So what was that experience?
Speaker 1: Like, I mean, you guys caught magic in the bottle? Uhu keen Warwick with a Jerry McNamara. You guys made that run and uh, you know, you're one year in college, you win the championship.
Speaker 6: I ain't never think I would do that shit. I'm gonna be honest, Like we wasn't. We was a good team, but I ain't never think we was going to be that good, you know, like you know we to go seventeen and oh at home, we never I never lost any carrier doing People don't talk about that enough. It's hard to do, you know what I'm saying. So especially the Big East, right and the biggest This was the Big East was the biggest right point in time. This was the Big East, you know, the heart of it. So being at Serrah Choose and just that whole experience, Man, we just clicked. Like it was just something that that clicked. We wasn't doing nothing special. We clicked.
Speaker 2: And then once we started feeling more confident about ourselves.
Speaker 6: Like we can beat this team, or we can beat them. Oh should we just beat misjority? It was number five. We just beat Georgia Tech. It was number seven.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, were.
Speaker 2: Going into the tournament and I'm like, look, all we all to do is get hot at the right time.
Speaker 1: So that's it.
Speaker 6: And at that point it was like we we knew we at that point, we knew we.
Speaker 1: Was gonna win the national championship. What was your what was your mental I mean, obviously the NBA is the goal, but College of Pitstops? Did you ever think about jumping stats the league? When you dig into college? Was it one and done? Like what was your mindset there?
Speaker 2: I could have came out of high school. But again, like people don't understand, like NBA never was my goal, Like it never was. I just felt like we can never I can.
Speaker 1: Never reach that.
Speaker 6: And you hear so much, Oh you hear the stats.
Speaker 8: Oh one out of every thousand.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, he chance to get struck by like this. There's no chance in hell I'm gonna make the league. So I ain't even thinking about the league. Let me just get to college. So when I got to college, I'm on campus, I'm like, I never want to leave this shit.
Speaker 6: Like Sarah, she's big East. It's popping up here like I'm staying. And if you go back to the footage, even like my press conferences, I'm like, yo, like, forget one more year, like I.
Speaker 1: Thought you stay in school for four years, like I'm coming back.
Speaker 6: And bay Hou was like, man, if you don't get your shit off my campus, man, we ain't trying to hear that. So he really kicked me off the campus man, rightfully, So right there, So right it makes sense. Winning has always been a part of your DNA, only winning high school, champion, college, McDonald's All America, and Michigan State. So this is the question I got, asked, how many bags were thrown at you when you went to Michigan State.
Speaker 5: A lot of people offered me money.
Speaker 9: I knew, I knew, Oh they were big bags.
Speaker 5: And uh, you know what, my.
Speaker 9: Father he always gave me life lessons. So here I am. He said, we're not taking no money. I said, okay, cool. So I decided to stay close to home because my mother and father and all my brothers and sisters had never missed none of my games, and I wanted that to continue. And I'm a mama's boy, so I loved my mother, so I wasn't giving up her Fried chicken and none of the other stuff she.
Speaker 7: Brought to the table, them hugs and everything.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 9: So my freshman year, we win the Big Ten, go all the way to the final eight, Kentucky beat US. Kansas City had the number one pick, so they called me and said, hey, we want to draft you number one Kings. Yeah, they were Kansas City Kings at that time. So I flew down and met with a dude named Joel Akason, the general manager, and he said, hey, I'm gonna want to give you a six year deal, two hundred thousand a year. So you know, I got excited. I've been broke my whole life. I'm like, oh man, this is great.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 9: I got I jumped up, said oh I think that's good. My father grabbed me and he pulled me drug me outside the door. He said, hold on, we'll be right back. He said, you've been broke for eighteen years. You can be broke one more year. I said, yes, sir, So you're going back to school. So I went back to school, and I'm glad I did because I finished what I came to college for, which was to win the national championship and play against Larry Bird and the unbelievable final, the most.
Speaker 5: Watched college championship ever.
Speaker 9: That's right to this day, still the most watched. And so to be link with this dude, who you know?
Speaker 5: You saying?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 5: First?
Speaker 9: When I first met him, I said, I must see this dude, This white cat can really.
Speaker 1: Go like is always out on white boys. It's always out.
Speaker 5: It's respect. This ain't nothing bad.
Speaker 11: So I said, let me see what he can do.
Speaker 6: But Larry had something that most white boys don't have.
Speaker 8: That man different now, a little.
Speaker 12: Different, very different.
Speaker 5: Now that boy he could play man. He turned it out.
Speaker 9: We played on a team in college, uh, in a tournament together. This is the first time I ever sat on the bench. Him and I were on the bench and we were like, the guys in front of us wasn't better than enough. But Kentucky head coach was coaching the team, so he started three guys from Kentucky. But when we got in the game, we turned it out. But I saw this dude eat Jack givings up. He was player of the year that year Kentucky, right, yes, from Kentucky, and Larry Bird was just slicing them, dicing them.
Speaker 5: And I said, I called home.
Speaker 9: I said, It's true about this.
Speaker 5: This dude can play. So that was my first.
Speaker 9: Time seeing them, and then to be out on the court with him in college for that national championship game, and then of course what happened in the NBA.
Speaker 5: But I would say that we got a.
Speaker 9: Chance to change the league. You know what, what a blessing it was. He ended up in Boston and then I ended up out here. My personality was La Hollywood, His personality was Boston, and it worked for the whole league, you know, so everything was good.
Speaker 1: Coming from a mid major. Did you ever think that Steph Curry would change the face of basketball the way it's place?
Speaker 8: What do you think? Did you ever dream?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean? He dreamed of it.
Speaker 13: We all dreamed of playing in the league and doing amazing stuff.
Speaker 8: But I never dreamed of changing the game. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 13: I said playing in the league. I dreamed of playing in the league. Yeah, playing the way that I know how to play the game. When I was at Davison, Man, I was six to one, one hundred and sixty pounds when I got there, and I found a coach that believed in me and gave me an opportunity to you know, just go out and hoop and learn how to learn through my mistakes. I had thirteen turnovers my first game at Davison, and he didn't say nothing. He said, just keep hoping next play, mentality and all that type of stuff. So I took that confidence through my college career into the league. And though I was still scrawning, when I showed up backing on nine playing nelly ball, like I knew what I was capable of and just put the work in. I think four years later when it started hitting on the threes and like pushing the record book and that in that respect, and like you know, changing my range and uh and just seeing the quarter a little different, that's when I knew this could be how I can summit myself in the league. And uh, nobody was really like using it as a weapon like the.
Speaker 14: Way that I thought I could.
Speaker 13: And it's a confidence thing, though, like you put the work in, but it's a confidence thing. And uh, now you got little kids in high school, middle school and younger just jacking up threes and parents and coaches getting real.
Speaker 1: It was crazy because I mean we had a tournament this past weekend and you know, my boys they've been around, Like we get out there early in Isaiah shooting from behind it point like before he ribbels or anything like, bro, what are you doing? Is like that, I'm just getting warm. I'm like, you don't want to start close? He's like, no, I'm good.
Speaker 13: I was like, you got to listen to the whole story, right because like when I that's my pops taught me the way to work on your game, like starting the pain, get your confidence, see how it goes, work work your way out, Like I learned that from a young age. And so now everybody sees the finish result and they want that process.
Speaker 8: It's like the.
Speaker 13: Processes there is just lost and so hopefully they they understand that.
Speaker 8: I mean, everybody can can figure it out.
Speaker 1: Take So not very many people, like I said, you've done. You've changed the face of the game coming from a mid major, you know what I mean, There hasn't been too many guys that have been able to do that.
Speaker 5: You know. C J.
Speaker 1: McCollum, Dame Morant, tell me what that was like was coming from you. So you weren't really highly recruited, and you know, you weren't in a top college. But we started seeing you come on the scene when you face these big schools and to be able to take that mid major game and really translated and played in the NBA. It's a huge credit to how hard you had to work.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think, like you said, coming from mid major, it's about who you get to play against in like that competition. Obviously our conference we played in the Southern Conference. I bet you couldn't name two other schools in that conference, Like that's just that's part of the journey. But we you know, coach McKillop, who's still there, is like are you still coaching already?
Speaker 10: This year.
Speaker 13: They moved on to the Atlantic Ten, so they moved up a little bit in terms of Like when I was there, we played against the Dukes of Carolina, senc States came out here and played UCLA and got exposed and understood what it took to be at that level. Once we got to the tournament, it was gonna take to win. My freshman year, I was thrown into the fire. I was playing like thirty seven minutes a game at the two spot. We had another point guard, Jason Richards, who was two years older than me and was like our best player.
Speaker 5: At the time.
Speaker 13: It was like the steady guy, the steady hand. I got to learn from him. That next year, my sophomore year kind of just took off. We had the guys that knew their role. Everybody you know, came selfless, did what they supposed to do. We were two and six in the first like what eight games and playing those teams I was talking about, and we took that, learned from it, put in our back pocket, got to the tournament, and then we started beating everybody, and so it's just a conference. Then you got to know like that you can play with the best. It's not you get lay with that. You know, mid major, D one whatever, that's just you know, just the history of it. Us not going to talk about what we're about to do this year and whatever. And so you got like you said, you know, Dame CJ Jah and you can name them. There's there's guys that just want an opportunity to play, and they got the talent, they got the skill, they got the killer instinct and now you know, more and more guys are shown it in the league.
Speaker 1: It's funny you mentioned confidence because the four the three other guys you named without yourself, they all carry themselves with high confidence, and I think it's kind of probably like that that chip on my should like I don't give a a major. I'm still a killer out here exactly. Talk us about your experience at Florida, obviously the back to back championships, but just life in that ecosystem because there was a lot of professional athletes the time you were there, No Gainesville.
Speaker 4: That time was as special as it come. You know, it's your first time leaving home, being away from your family, and you know we had there was all those guys that you mentioned where we all lived in.
Speaker 8: The same dorm, the same place. You know.
Speaker 4: The stories are like where do I start?
Speaker 5: Where do I start?
Speaker 4: But I actually watched the documentary not long ago, and there was a moment in that documentary where one of the kids got caught smoking a joint and they kicked him off the team and.
Speaker 5: He went home and he got killed.
Speaker 4: And urban Meyer touched on it and he was like, you know what, I have to live with that as the leader of this ship. I have to live with that knowing that I kicked off a kid and this happened. So he was like, never again, will that happen to any of my kids. I will never kick one of my if they if I recruit them, they're staying with me. And I think that it gave them a bond that you know, it allowed them to go all the way and win a championship.
Speaker 5: It's deep.
Speaker 4: You know, we were able to obviously, you know, my roommate was Al Horford and Corey Brewer and I had Toryren Green, Lee Humphrey, see Rich Walter Hodge, like, these guys are still some of my closest friends today. And it was so we win the championship after sophomore year, and this was my first time where people were like, yo, you could be a top pick. You know, it's time for you to go. It's time for you to go to the NBA. And I love those guys so much and I love what we had so much that we ended up going back to school another.
Speaker 1: Year because you al who else would have left and we ended up staying another year.
Speaker 4: Because you know, you can't. Chemistry is just something you can't. You can't deny. You can't deny when when you're open, you're getting the ball. You know, Oh, your guys tendencies just you just love hooping with the guys, so much and the brotherhood just becomes It's like second nature, you know, and I'm really proud of that that, you know it was. It was not about the money, and we showed it. You know a lot of people say, oh, it's not about the money. No, but you know what, we let's run it back. There was no nil shit. We were paying money. We were paying the Lloyd's of London the insurance to stay. You know, that's what those years.
Speaker 5: Meant to us.
Speaker 4: You know, you can there was real sacrifice in it, and I think you know you can't. Those years were as special as they come.
Speaker 1: Obviously, you know, back to back champs and in the bonds. But you know we went to school right over the hill in Westwood at UCLA, And although I had a ton of fun playing basketball, I probably had more fun not playing basketball. What were those Knights?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Any stories you could share? I don't want to get nobody in trouble. I mean we mentioned some heavy name. You ever see Tea out there smoking the joint? What's happening?
Speaker 15: Like?
Speaker 1: What'd you see out there that you can speak on?
Speaker 5: It was wild?
Speaker 4: T Bow was not wild at all, No, he was.
Speaker 1: It's what made him him.
Speaker 4: Though you know, he was probably like on Fridays, he was probably reading his Bible and he was serious.
Speaker 5: He was we had a class together.
Speaker 4: He was always doing the extra credit.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I was like, Yo, you're a square bro, like extra credit. But you know, but like talk about like his competitive spirit. You couldn't you couldn't deny that, you know, especially Okay, you're going to school in the.
Speaker 8: South, you know, that was a real that was crazy to me.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, you're going down University Avenue and that's like the main main road on campus and you got the black kids on one side and you got the white kids on one side party and it's just like nobody mixed. And that to me that it was just like we were able because of.
Speaker 1: The sports thing to crossover.
Speaker 5: It bridged a little.
Speaker 4: Bit more, you know, and that's the power of sports and what we do on the platforms that we have is like you win, it becomes so much bigger than rich, poor, black, white all that stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, you're able to.
Speaker 16: Do something that's bigger than bigger than you, bigger than you.
Speaker 1: What was your college experience like just as far as you know, being a real student athlete and then being a superstar on a smaller team. What was that experience?
Speaker 3: Like it was like a movie. Man Like it was literally it's literally like a movie. Like I would do my whole college career over again.
Speaker 17: It was.
Speaker 18: It was a great time, but it taught me how to balance life.
Speaker 3: Like the academic course load was crazy at the high Like the amount of studying you had to do to survive was unbelievable. Like it taught you how to balance your time. It taught you how to do the impossible. You know, write twenty I was journalist of major thirty page papers. I started off in the business school learning about accounting and econ. Like, it was crazy the amount of dedication focus you had to put into it. It was also crazy that I was. I didn't spend a lot of time in the librarly, I ain't gonna lie. I spent my time in the gym, and I dug myself in a hole. And then I had to like start going to the library, start trying to catch up, start trying to get ahead and figuring stuff out.
Speaker 18: But in terms of.
Speaker 3: Hooping, I used to I used to go out, Like let's say I went out with some of my friends or whatever, we'd go out till twelve thirty one. I would come back and I'll go to the gym at one am and I would work out. And I feel like I was still able to do the college student life but also working towards becoming a professional.
Speaker 18: I think that's what kind of separated me, because I could.
Speaker 5: Balance the.
Speaker 3: Life that comes with being a college athlete with basketball, with academics, and then eventually figuring out, you know, the social aspect.
Speaker 18: Of you know who, like who you going to spend the rest of your life with.
Speaker 3: But I think it was a perfect combination of things that kind of fell into place for me. And I struggled early, which is why I probably succeeded late because I had always struggled in life and I was just like, all right, what do I have to do to kind of succeed, And I'll do it.
Speaker 1: So your junior year, the fifteenth seed against the number two Duke seed, take us back to that game and talk to us about it. You scored a game hight thirty.
Speaker 3: So we When we drew Duke in the selection Sunday show, I was geeked. I was super hype because, for one, I hate Duke. I hate everything about him, just a full disclosure. I always been a North Carolina fan, but I hate everything about him, and I felt like I felt like that was my chance to kind of solidify who I thought I was. Like I always thought I was the man, but the rest of the world hadn't seen me. People that watched the mid major basketball teams in mid rajior programs, they knew I had NBA qual talent, but they weren't sure if it translated, and they weren't sure if I could sustain a high level play against high level athletes.
Speaker 18: And I was like, this is my perfect chance. I'm playing against Duke.
Speaker 3: They got Austin Rivers, they got Mason Plumbley, they got Miles Plumbly, they got three other NBA they had Quinn Cook, they had like six seven NBA players, And I was like, I was like, this is my chance to show who I am and the show I can elevate my team, like I'm playing with. I always joke I said that my friends, my friends work on Wall Street, and I'm playing with like guys that work for Fortune five hundred companies against NBA players, Like the guys I played with are the accountants for the for the Duke players in three years from now. So if I can uplift them and play against them, this was solidify who I am. So I actually told my mom that we're gonna beat Duke and beat and beat whoever playing the second round. I said, we'll probably lose to Baylor because Baylor got Pierre Jackson. They had all this Quincy Quincy Millity, had all these like super super athletes, and I like, I don't know, like we ain't really athletic around here at a Patrio Legue school. So I went out there and in warm ups they was talking crazy, like you know how you go to half court and they just talking out of pocket, like just saying ridiculous, reckless stuff, trying to like punk us in warm ups, and I'm like, man like, like y'all, y'all ain't even built like that, Like like, first of all, Duke players don't even really be nice like that when they get to the league.
Speaker 1: Ain't know gangs is going to Duke, right.
Speaker 18: So they was talking crazy at wordmups.
Speaker 3: But then like once the game started, like I let him know, I was here talking to the bench. I'm talking to coach k after shots like I'm letting them know I'm here, like I don't know WHI ch'all been doing in the ACC but ain't none of these Ain't none of these like me, you know what I'm saying, And we.
Speaker 5: Ended up going to win.
Speaker 3: I think that was like the signature game for me to kind of solidify that, like I can play in the league and I can hold my own, I can be a league guard, I can play off the ball, like I can give you whatever you want.
Speaker 1: So after doing what you did to Duke, how did that kind of catapult you into the national eye and it start kind of getting the respect you always felt you deserved.
Speaker 3: I think it put me in that like mid major startum role to where you know, you had the Steph Curry's, you had the Jimmer for Dats, you had the George Hill situation. You had a lot of Eric Mayner, a lot of players who were in similar situations, you know, where they are able to beat a higher ranked team, a higher seed in the NCAA tournament. You had the Steve Nasz situation when he was a fifteen to beating the two seeds kind of put me in that same light to where it was like, you know, he has NBA potential X y Z, these types of players have done this this, These are what his numbers are like compared to them. And then it kind of set me up to where I was the next season. I'm a preseason All American.
Speaker 18: I had.
Speaker 3: I entered the draft that year and had basically heard that I would be a late first round pick.
Speaker 18: And I had to decide if I wanted to leave or go back to school.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I'm going back, Like I always wanted to be the man, this is my chance to beat a man.
Speaker 18: Go to a small school.
Speaker 3: I wanted to. You know, some people don't want too much film on him. I was like, they can get as much film.
Speaker 18: They want on me. Like I believe in my game.
Speaker 3: I know that I can get back to where I was at and take my team even further. And I firmly believe if I didn't fracture my foot, like we was going to like the lead eight. Like we had a bunch of seniors. We were a good team. We were about to be ranked in the country. We had a pretty good schedule. He was playing VCU, we were playing high major teams, well, the high major teams that would play us most of them was afraid.
Speaker 18: I Also the backstory funny part.
Speaker 3: Is so as I went to a small school like Lee High, and I wanted to play every school that didn't offer me. So I wanted to play Penn State, I wanted to play Ohio State. I wanted to play the Dukes in North Carolina's but every school in Ohio I didn't recruit me. I really wanted to play them. And then I got cut from the USA team. Matt Painter was the head coach, was at Purdue Behein was on the staff and two other coaches. So I went back home and I told our coaching staff I wanted to play Purdue, I wanted to play Syracuse. I want to play all those schools, and they said that will play you when c J leaves.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Thanks. So that's that's kind of how it went.
Speaker 3: After that Dude game, I was I was just locked in, like determined to get to the next level. And I got to go to CP three, I got to go to Bronz Skills Academy. I got to go to all those things and really expose myself to like what it's like to play at the next level.
Speaker 1: Do a sport athlete? Quarterback what was your style like you would throw a runner?
Speaker 8: Both? Yeah, both, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I could throw it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 19: You know, back then we were in a lot of options too, but I could throw it. You know, it wasn't a typical just run all the time an athlete.
Speaker 8: I could throw it.
Speaker 1: It's something about football though, because I played football too, and I was yeah.
Speaker 20: Yeah, But to think about when you go through your couple of touchdowns, go to the.
Speaker 1: Stadium, you see eighty five thousand or one hundred thousand. I mean, I love basketball. I'm glad I chose basketball, but there's nothing that I get chills thinking about just them being in them stadiums and you almost committed to actually play high major college football.
Speaker 19: Yeah, that's my only regretting life that I never got a chance to play football at one year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I and to be.
Speaker 19: Honest, I was gonna My freshman year was so so it was like ten points of five sis, So.
Speaker 8: It was all right.
Speaker 19: But you know, coming in as a McDonald's, you know, it's a lot of hype, but people didn't know I went through the back issues and all that stuff. So me and Coachio met with Nick Saban. He was the football coach at Michigan State. At the time, I was gonna play football. If I didn't have a great sophomore season, I was gonna play football that next year. But what happened was I was a big team player of the year, I was All American and it just took off.
Speaker 1: The exact same thing. You see, after my sophomore year. My sophomore year, I went out there, Bob Toledo cameing down that team. I went out there and did springball, ran routes for the first time in last year.
Speaker 8: Was dope.
Speaker 1: And then they started talking all this change of dorms, not captain, won't start on the basketball. I'm just like, God, damn, just because I want to play a little football. So but that was one thing too. I mean, to this day, I'm just like, what if I would have just gave it for a year and saw what it would have happened. So, yeah, it was, it would have been dope. Draymond told us a great story about being recruited by Izzo. Just a straight shooter. Uh, what was your recruitment process like with Michigan State. Who were some of the other schools you were considering going to?
Speaker 5: Oh Man?
Speaker 8: Back then?
Speaker 19: I was my top schools was like Syracuse, Cincinnati, you had Huggins.
Speaker 8: He recruited dogs, you.
Speaker 10: Know what I mean. He went after all the dogs.
Speaker 19: Back then, Georgia Tech, they was pumping out point guards. You know, you look at the history of Georgia Tech point guards. It had you go back from Mark Price to uh AA, Travis Best and Steph k and I would have been like right behind him.
Speaker 8: Who else was it?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 19: Michigan Uh Louisville, Florida State was another big one, and that was mainly football. Yeah, back then they had a run.
Speaker 8: They was on national.
Speaker 19: TV every week, Yeah, every week, And so I was looking at them. But being recruited by isoe what separated him?
Speaker 21: Man?
Speaker 8: He was in front every day.
Speaker 19: When I say every day, Man, he recruited me higher because back then they ain't had nothing, you know, So Draymond recruiting was a little different. You know, he could be a straight shooter with him with me, he was damn they're big. And to be honest, you know, because the people don't realize, like I took a chance on Michigan State. Michigan State wasn't the prominent program that is they it wasn't They ain't had like no top players there. Michigan had six or seven McDonald's, all American on the rockster. Michigan State didn't like Coachinzo didn't make the tournament before I got there. He was in this second year when I committed. So Michigan State wasn't what it was.
Speaker 1: And what was it like building that team out though, with Charlie and Mo And this is back when you were to college for you know, at least three years sometimes four. Yeah, what was it like kind of just going along that path because I say all the time like that some of the best funniest times of my life.
Speaker 10: Bro.
Speaker 19: Yeah, this star, no doubt about it. I would never change it for the world.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 19: Antonio Smith, he was people forget about him. He was the first one to go, Tom Big Tom. We played together at Michigan State. He went and then Mopete went. I came in and Charlie came And the reason I loved them my brothers, you know what I'm saying. And it was special on how we did it because we got it from the mother, like we wouldn't knowing that Michigan State wasn't shit.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean.
Speaker 19: And we came in there and grinded coach starting with coaching, so he was a grinder too, But we just came in grinded, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: That's that's what it was.
Speaker 19: Every day when I got there, I started the first thing I said, I got to change the mentality.
Speaker 22: You know what I mean.
Speaker 19: I could just tell people was used to losing, and I wasn't with that, you know what I mean. Like even like the open gym games, they're played and you lose, it wasn't no, they didn't nobody care.
Speaker 8: So I'm like, let's start keeping tracked. Let's start keeping.
Speaker 19: Tracks of wins and losses, you know what I mean. So that started making winning important, you know. And then just to just me saying I beat you every day. It got real competitive, you know what I mean. And we started changing it slowly but surely, and and and then they clicked, you know what I mean, Like we got something special here. And I told coaches, start going to recruit some dogs, you know what I mean. And and and even when we like in the schedule, like I had a big part of that. People don't know that tough schedule they have. Me and coaches talked about that years. I went to him saying, start lighting them up. Let's clay.
Speaker 8: Yeah, let's scratch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's scratch.
Speaker 19: Because you know, when you play some of them big schools, some of the other cats deer in the headline.
Speaker 5: They're nervous.
Speaker 19: So I'm like, go line them up first, get them going, and now when we play them in the tournament, we're gonna be ready to roll.
Speaker 8: Cats ain't in awe Like when we played Vince.
Speaker 19: Garden my sophomore year. Cats there they want the actual autograph before the gas.
Speaker 23: You know what I mean.
Speaker 8: They wasn't used to none.
Speaker 24: Of that, that crew they had.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so they was like almost fanboying.
Speaker 19: But at the a we started lying them, you know them tough games up early in the season.
Speaker 8: That changed everything.
Speaker 1: I heard some interesting stories about your recruiting process and how you committed somewhere and then you decommitted when the coach left, and then some shit in Michigan and then you got a low key got into it with izz Oh and tell me what that ended up, because you ended up getting your jersey retired just not too long ago, December third of last year. Tell me about the recruiting process, and then we'll finally get to what the honor it was to have see your jersey hung in the raptors of Michigan State.
Speaker 24: So the recruiting process for me was different a lot, a lot like the NBA for me, honestly, where you know, I'm coming up in Saginaw and there was there was. We had a guy who's sixteen named Josh Southern, and we had a guy named Larry Wright who was Larry's about six three wing could shoot the fuck out of it was athletic. And so that was my sophomore year and like you have all the coaches in the country coming in to see those guys. Josh end up going to Boston College, Larry went to Saint John's, and but you had Tuppy Smith time. It's on like all the coaches in the country coming through the Alpen gyms and I'm just young.
Speaker 1: I'm ninth going to tenth grade.
Speaker 24: I'm out there, rocket And like my high school coach would tell me, like, yo, these coaches are coming to see Josh and Larry and IT'SO even told me this before, but they'll leave talking about you. But at the time, I'm six, I'm still six', Five i'm. Undersized planning the four and SO i would kind of just get LIKE i started getting offers from, men majors and. People you, know you see the write ups and stuff, like, oh he's a mid major player at best.
Speaker 5: And all of.
Speaker 1: This then my junior, year you.
Speaker 24: KNOW i lost some, WEIGHT i got more, athletic AND i really started. Rocking my junior year end up being my best year of high school because my senior, year my ankle was fucked.
Speaker 8: UP i was fat as, hell and SO.
Speaker 24: I always wanted to go To Michigan statetion AS i was a. Kid my aunt went. There she was a number one player in the country and like eighty nine that.
Speaker 5: Time she went.
Speaker 24: There AND i used to go up as a little, kid AND i was scared Of, sparty BUT i always used to tell my, mama, Like i'm gonna.
Speaker 11: GO i.
Speaker 24: WAS i was the little badass, kids scared The, spartan scared Of. CHUCK i was scared of, everything and you, know SHE'S i used to always tell, Them i'm gonna go To Michigan.
Speaker 8: State you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying and.
Speaker 24: Then WHEN i got to high, School coachino kinda offered.
Speaker 25: Me but.
Speaker 24: DIDN'T i, committed Thinking i'm committed but they weren't really honoring. It so it's LIKE i felt like they was kind of teeter in that line and like keeping me at bay but not going too far with.
Speaker 5: Me and SO i went.
Speaker 24: Down To kentucky my junior year and they were Playing florida and this One Joe kim knowing, them was, There like that bitchy college game they was.
Speaker 5: There they went back to. BACK i think, Yeah and.
Speaker 8: So college game day was.
Speaker 5: There we walking in Rupp arena and.
Speaker 24: Like i'm standing next to my assistant, coach my head coach in high school and Like we're literally this close to each other and got to scream at each other ear to hear. It i'm, Like, yo this shit. Live so you, know we go. On we watched the game that, Night florida end up. Winning then we stay. Over we meet With tubby earlier that day and they offered. Me i'm, like, yo this is WHERE i want to, Be SO i. Committed my mom didn't even. Know she didn't she had no, idea she had never Met tubby at.
Speaker 8: Nothing SO i get back. Home we drive back home That.
Speaker 24: Sunday After sunday, EVENING i get. Home my mom was always on the. Blogs just like she on Fucking twitter.
Speaker 8: Now and so WHEN i get, home.
Speaker 24: Like Maybe, Wednesday, thursday start hitting the blogs Like Draymond green committed To. Kentucky Now i'm mind. YOU i still didn't tell my, mom so we so.
Speaker 1: Are you thinking about this, Though like, DAMN i need to tell HER i need this or you're trying to hide.
Speaker 24: It i'm trying to hide, it like she never gonna find out.
Speaker 8: Until this time for me to. Go SO i get home like that.
Speaker 24: Thirsdday, yeah and she's standing there like waiting on, me like you did what, like And i'm, like. Huh she showed me the computer like you you committed To, kentucky and she fucking went crazy like how dare you do? That you never fucking talk to me about? It, this, that and the, other like lou who's my high school. Coach they don't fucking run, You i'm your fucking, mom all this, stuff And i'm just LIKE. Whoa so for, me it's like the happiest time of my. Life you feel me Like i'm committed To, kentucky but she's fucking grilling. Me so like a weekend and a week and a half, later she goes she drived down and go to a game by herself with my. Father they met down, there went to the, game and she came back and she was in tears and she was, like, Yo i'm, Like i'm not happy that you did that without, me.
Speaker 5: BUT i, see like why you committed. It it's fucking amazing.
Speaker 8: Down, there And i'm happy for.
Speaker 24: You and So tom went, on you know What i'm. Saying then we get To march And tubby called. Me we in the we in the state. Playoffs we end up winning. Championship But tubby called me and he, Said, HEY i wanted to call you and let you know That i'm gonna be Leaving kentucky tomorrow And i'm Gonna I'm i'm gonna go coach At, minnesota BUT i wanted to call you first and let you know that and not find out on.
Speaker 26: Blogs and So i'm, like, wow that's.
Speaker 24: Great you know What i'm. SAYING i appreciate you letting me. Know stand Up god to up he is and you, Know i'm gonna reopen my, recruitment But i'll definitely look at minnesota'll definitely be at the top of that. List and SO i reopened my recruitment and the first CALL i get that next, morning seven in the, morning this coach is, Today, Hey i'm, like what's?
Speaker 5: Up he, like how in the fuck could?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 5: Like this is?
Speaker 24: Me is relationship? Forever like how in the fuck could you commit To? Kentucky is fucking? Bullshit, this, that and the.
Speaker 5: Other And i'm, like, yo, like you didn't fucking offer.
Speaker 24: Me so NOW i started back going at him like you ain't fucking offer. Me you full of, shit y'all act LIKE i was fucking coming there AND i committed to you and you. Ain't you fucking pulled this stuf like fuck, That and he's, like whan the fuck said?
Speaker 5: That, well you.
Speaker 24: Didn't have a fucking, Offer and Now i'm telling you know you got a fucking. Offer so we're having a streaming. Match he's offering me a. Scholarship it's a full streaming. Match and so you, KNOW i ended up reopening recruitment and it eventually comes down To, Michigan Michigan state In. Indiana and this is like the summer after That, march AND i was prob, like not many people NOTICED i was gonna go To, michigan and my mom wanted me to go To michigan because of you, know the education and all of. That i'm really trying to get to the, least SO i ain't really tripping about the. Education BUT i was gonna go To. Michigan it's felt good and B i hatches got there like. It i'm, like all, Right i'm gonna go To. Michigan so they called me and they begged me to come down to open gym on This, now this Is. Thursday i'm committing on the Following. Thursday they begged.
Speaker 1: You was just gonna. COMMIT i had been.
Speaker 24: Before It's. Michigan it's an hour, away you know What i'm. Saying So i've been there a bunch of, times and they begged me to come one last time on That monday. Before so It's thursday, evening they're begging me to. COME i go That. Monday i'm committing that follow On. Thursday BUT i don't tell them i'm committing. There they just know my press conference Is. Thursday and SO i go. DOWN i plan in the open gym with. Them i'm busting they Ass i'm talking and like nobody talking back like that at that. Time Manny fresh was, There pet was. THERE pd ain't a big. Talker you know What i'm. Saying pet From Detroit many not a big. Talker they real, niggas but they ain't big. Talkers and then like the, rest Like Kevin grady was school but like there was a lot of squares on the, team and So i'm busting their ass and talking shit and like nobody's saying nothing. Back But i'm going To Michigan state And i'm talking shit and like trying to try and fight, me like everybody trying, fight And i'm, like, yeah that's, me you know What i'm, Saying like everybody talking, ship we about to fight in this open.
Speaker 5: Jail that's more me.
Speaker 24: Than fucking talking to everybody just looking at. Me and So Michigan state just swe more at home from. Me BUT i Have michigan left my ass at home and not fucking caught me.
Speaker 5: DOWN i went To.
Speaker 1: Michigan you, guys did you know accomplish so much in such a short amount of, time you, know with all the, accolades big, games, losses like you said the time, out what is the one thing you take is at that moment right? There is that the one when you say when you look. Back Chris, Webber michigan in The fab. Five what's the one thing that you hang your hat out and stands out to you that it is just that that sums up that.
Speaker 8: Moment that was a.
Speaker 6: Lot, yeah that was a. Lot yeah, STUCK i. KNOW i don't THINK i could pick. One, yeah that was a. LOT i don't THINK i could. Pick now you're putting a. Lot you're putting with a loaded. Question, yes a lot of, music personal, situation you putting, Music you putting a whole culture just on y'all backs at that, time you know WHAT i, Mean, like that was a, lot and.
Speaker 1: It was to, me LIKE i, said it was a Small it was a two year window to be real with, you you know WHAT i, mean because he was too and done so to effect to have a lifelong effect on culture as a whole when it pertains to, basketball you know WHAT i. Mean to have one of the greatest young teams in the history of the. Game unfortunately fell short two years in a. Row but LIKE i, said you guys did so much for the game and for. Culture that's WHY i was, wondering is there any one thing that sticks out or is just that whole?
Speaker 8: Moment is what it?
Speaker 6: IS i think it's the whole, moment, man because it's many things you do, Now like their players are look at rob men with.
Speaker 1: Two tattoos and be, like he ain't got no. Tattoos but they.
Speaker 6: Don't realize at that, day it was like having a tattoo on your, face.
Speaker 5: Right you know WHAT i.
Speaker 6: Mean so it was the small things like at that, time, MAN i felt like the world was, changed and like even with little things like And Living color was ON. Tv you know What i'm, Saying little things like. That SO i definitely want to take the. Credit and we did, it but it was the energy of everybody at that. Time black people was coming. Up you wasn't taking it no. More we saw all these other, expressions all these other, Things LIKE i remember we won the game and, all and we jumped on the scores table and then hip HOP i ran had the whole crowd doing.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 6: Right i'm just doing it BECAUSE i love hip hop AND i want to feel like a. RAPPER i want TO i want to know how y'all do. It AND i remember the criticism they came, after you know WHAT i, Mean, like WHEN i really think about, it, man, DOG i was eighteen getting death.
Speaker 5: Threats, dog you.
Speaker 1: Know WHAT i, Mean i'm having fun though for people you.
Speaker 6: Ain't letting these five black guys what these niggas up here doing Like i'm talking about like it was, crazy you, know to the point Where i'm. Worried and NOW i got my boys from the come and sit by my parents.
Speaker 1: Again it's you know WHAT i. Mean but it's a different time, though web. Too not to cut you off because it's common now because social, media any coward has a, Voice but back then they had to, like really somehow get that. Ship this is the early, nineties SO i had to be like a handwritten.
Speaker 8: Letter, time you know.
Speaker 1: Something there was, more there was more hate behind.
Speaker 6: It yeah, yeah and it makes you, too you know at that. Time now these are all good things because you can't have courage without. Fear so So i'm not gonna act like nobody was a scar these. Times BUT i really have to thank our parents because your question stack what what got it? Was we were built for. IT i, Hell i'm gonna cry about. This my father came from you.
Speaker 5: Know What i'm.
Speaker 1: Saying it was built for, it you know WHAT i.
Speaker 6: Mean my mother she like WHEN i went To, duke she, like, yeah you like, that you like, architecture, Right so you like that. Architecture i'm, like, yeah well she's like a black man designed all of. It he don't get no credit for, it you know WHAT i? Mean like they, are we are ready for, it you know WHAT i. Mean and that's why it doesn't surprise me j ON tv, now it doesn't surprise me other. Things so you, KNOW i can't take one, MOMENT i just take all of. Us it did a lot for, us man because growing, up we, like we watched y'all one than we watched THE nba because we felt like we were.
Speaker 5: Y'all like these are five.
Speaker 1: Guys that's the, best come from the, bottom that's the best.
Speaker 6: Confidence and they supporting each. Other and another, thing we talk About big, three you can never duplicate The fab.
Speaker 8: Five though we.
Speaker 6: Talk About big three right now they talking About big three. Teams why ain't nobody talking about The fab Five because you can't duplicate. That y'all was meant to be the cornerstone and the culture at that. Time, bro you know WHAT i, Mean we appreciate it because it did a lot for. US i appreciate the fact you said that you saw yourself and.
Speaker 1: US i promise.
Speaker 6: You that's WHY i used to be like at the, GAME i used to have tears in my. Eyes our mom is watching the, game or you, know even, commentating like some of the reasons and some of the WAYS i commentate is on purpose BECAUSE i know what they said about. Us we cut our, hair we cut our yair. Dog it's like my father always you, know my, father my. Father people Think juan my father Is juwan did my father looked Like muhammad Al Lee juan Will smith like all. That he had the same army. Haircut and we're, like we're gonna make you cut your, hand pretty. Boy you know we go to the final, four you gotta cut his. Hair ball all of us cut out. Hair AND i remember the. Game you know my mother she just, says you, KNOW i was messed. Up you know they said y'all look like. Thugs but she wanted me to hear. That and he's, like, oh you you want to see you want to see what this is on the? Court well that's really, SHOW i asked. Today so we were built for, it and we had a lot of. People so many people support, us man and give us that energy because it was a lot to. Carry maybe maybe not you really don't, remember BUT i remember the.
Speaker 1: Love especially for your age. Though that's a lot to have on your. SHOULDERS i got the.
Speaker 6: Pictures my whole team ninety, four ninety, five ninety six state, championship all whole team Ball head because y'all did.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah so obviously there's been. Talks and SINCE i feel like you're my big, Brother i'm gonna go ahead and ask you there the thirty for thirty doc came, out you weren't involved in. It where did The fab five situation gone? Wrong and is it righted today in twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: One, yeah SO i don't think The fab five situation ever went? Wrong, okay you, know LIKE i, SAY i, MEAN i talked to a great time right on the outside looking. It, yeah, YEAH i talked to cats too. Much you, know if if they if this was, loud they he turned to text nine fuck up the. Interview BUT i would say THAT i would say that the deterioration of me And Jay rowse relationship could probably have an effect on, everybody you know What i'm, Saying and So i've always tried to be, Careful but you're my, brother and this you're just gonna do. It i've tried to be careful of how to talk about my relationship.
Speaker 5: Because you don't.
Speaker 6: Understand i'm the oldest of, Five so my mother taught me a couple of. Things If i'm fighting my brother in the street and the strange try to break us up deep they ass and get back to, Fighting ain't.
Speaker 5: Nobody like how do? You how the hell you getting?
Speaker 1: Off you know WHAT i?
Speaker 6: Mean, well we love each, other we, fight so that's one. Thing and then just it's not fair to save my side without someone there saying that. Side AND i feel like the whole time it has been a negative coming at, Me LIKE i felt, like damn at all are people to hate me out all the white, people all, this all that that's been trying to get me for.
Speaker 1: Years you you, yeah you? Yeah that shit hurt me to my.
Speaker 6: Court, Dog i'm holding me in tears right, now, right But i'm not. Perfect i'm not saying. That so this ain't no sides or. Nothing it's just something on my brother's show telling me what. Happened so with, that And i'm a big, brother SO i know how to get out the. Way matter of, FACT i get out the way too.
Speaker 5: Much SO.
Speaker 6: I just want people at the end of the day that the brothers to remember they don't love. Us that's. All that's. All THAT'S I i know they don't love. Me and you can be a good man knowing they don't love.
Speaker 1: You, yeah, Right. Yeah my mother used to have a, saying you, know who are they to be equal? To mm? Whatever that whatever that?
Speaker 6: Means a basketball player for forty years is just a? Businessman who is he to be equal?
Speaker 10: To you?
Speaker 1: Know we we you, know you, know so you KNOW i, was you, KNOW.
Speaker 15: I.
Speaker 6: WAS i think that me being like, damn you know WHAT i? Mean like things said you called time out on purpose things and it said like you lied in court like. That w that would hurt any real one with knowing that you, righteous with knowing that you don't do nothing to you to especially to your brother in that form, we LIKE i, said we not, perfect but in that form to initially hurt you as a, brother that should hurt. Brow it's this Song stars is a dope. Song it's an old song in the. SEVENTIES i think in this Giant JAN i don't know her, name but janis. Iron it's Not. JOPPLIN i know what you're talking. ABOUT i probably chopping this girl name. Up but she, says how do you make amends without? Defending like IF i say to, you you, know stack, man you ain't never you, know you have a comeback and come to the point you address. It at some, point you're gonna have to be, like, hey, dog you know what, happened?
Speaker 5: Right you know What i'm.
Speaker 12: Saying AND i.
Speaker 5: DON'T i.
Speaker 6: DON'T i don't want to do that Because i'm working On i've been working on forgetting this, dog BECAUSE i Want god to forgive, me you know WHAT i. Mean like when it talks about forget seven times seven, times like it just clicked with.
Speaker 1: Me it ain't forget that many.
Speaker 6: Times it's that might take that might that might be how many times you gotta?
Speaker 5: Forgive you know WHAT i?
Speaker 6: Mean BECAUSE i could be late again, today like you have to forgive me. Again you have to forgive me, again you. Know AND i Want god forgive. ME i won't forgive this for my. BROTHERS i want you know and, so but What i've learned IS i can forgive you without fucking with.
Speaker 1: YOU i love you from a. Distance, yeah AND i will tell you.
Speaker 6: This we're, brothers AND i know it'll IT'LL i know you know again were, brothers so you, know But i've never said nothing about, it And i'm just, like you got the biggest media company in the, world y'all biggest doc. EVER i hope you're on the, story. RIGHT i hope you're on that because but but but that's you see me being laid, back trying to be cool and not say. Nothing that's got also saying, Like, okay you better quit running from confrontation and tell your story because you got a son coming.
Speaker 1: Up you're gonna let him think that's what.
Speaker 5: Is that's WHY i got the book.
Speaker 6: In the doc And i'm gonna inspire some mother fun kids Because i'm gonna really show you what it's. Like Like i'm not embarrassed in what my father came.
Speaker 5: From he all, right what part did you pay in the?
Speaker 6: Swag LIKE i know everybody had their own, input the baggy shorts of shoes you.
Speaker 27: Played it's hard for me to like say it without people thinking Like i'm trying to make it about.
Speaker 1: Me but you was the fashionable one.
Speaker 27: THOUGH i was look at it one that. CARED i cared, More that's All juwan. Didn't jawan was, like, No i'm trying to. Ball jawan's a. Professional jawan was always ten years older than, us.
Speaker 1: But the same, age but the same.
Speaker 27: Age never had a not a fresh, cut always had a big gold, tee always had a crease in his.
Speaker 8: Pants like we all kept our.
Speaker 27: Originality and so many times people talk about us all wearing bad.
Speaker 8: Heads he ain't cut his hair.
Speaker 5: Ball he didn't.
Speaker 8: Know, yeah he was, LIKE i love, Y'ALL i ain't cutting my hair. Ball I'M i ain't cutting my.
Speaker 27: Hairball so LIKE i started wanting to wear the shorts Because Doug Smith, Missouri Steve Smith's, Syracuse Anderson HUNT u n L. V Steve, Smith Michigan. State they used to all come home in the summer and bring me, shorts, Right SO i used to have those satin shorts down on my knees with. All they get heavy when you start sweating in.
Speaker 8: Them but they were so.
Speaker 27: Cold so, like by the time we got to, College i'm, like y'all got A nike. CONTRACT i know y'all can get us a longer. Shorts that's really what it. Was Bobbie, BLAND i remember his. Name our, Equipment, like we want some longer. Shorts and then the other thing y'all, Know Nike rep came. In welcome to the. School everything's, great. Man he put out some power for. Shoes, man back, Up power forward.
Speaker 1: Shoes back.
Speaker 8: Up, yeah we're not wearing them with a bow.
Speaker 27: Jacket we we ain't wearing no high. Tops up to my, Cap i'm not wearing. Them and so that's when The hirachis. Came they didn't even want us to wear them because they felt like it wasn't a basketball shoe because your ankles were out. Right and so we wore them and they's like you got to get your ankles tape before every, practice before every game for a, lawsuit like. Ok and then we signed a little wafers so we could wear those. Shoes and that's where like the whole fashion thing with the shoes came from the ball. Heads it was more like just, solidarity one for, all all of.
Speaker 5: One.
Speaker 8: Whatever the Socks Ray jackson.
Speaker 27: Really, yes, indeed we were about to play In. TEXAS i forgot the FIRST i forgot one of Them texas.
Speaker 1: Schools And.
Speaker 27: Ray's homeboy came to the. Hotel ray was, like da da, Dah i've been, traveling bring me some. Socks and he Brought ray a gray pair with Blue, nike AND i was in the room playing Uh, madden And ray came in the room and he pulled out the. Socks i'm, like what you get do? Fun it's like you just got it for the. Mall and then we all looked like.
Speaker 8: They have some Black.
Speaker 27: So we went to the mall and now just think about, this they didn't have five pairs of black socks out of an entire. Mall the first, GAME i wore dress socks on top of my white.
Speaker 8: Sox true story on dress.
Speaker 27: Socks we went to the little, stall we put on our, unis covered up the, socks D. D we ain't gonna snap off our pants until right before the tip, off so they won't tell.
Speaker 1: Us.
Speaker 8: No you know how that. Worked we do it prior gotta get.
Speaker 27: It we're gonna shut it, down.
Speaker 8: So we're gonna make sure it can't shut it.
Speaker 27: Down so that that's how we did.
Speaker 5: It that's.
Speaker 1: Dope, yeah Oh.
Speaker 8: Rice that's who he's.
Speaker 1: Playing he's what's your relationship?
Speaker 8: NOW i love.
Speaker 27: Him he should be in The hall Of. Fame three, final FOUR Us National. Championship he should be in The hall Of. Fame did great With San Diego state brought their program back to. Life Brian, dutcher who now, coaching was the lead. Recruiters juwan signed with him, first now their head. Coach he was giving our tickets on. Campus now they got a real. Program he should be in The hall Of. Fame he's got many championships As Jim beahan and my Guy Michigan, state WHO i. LOVE i, mean he got many, championships has, them SO i feel like he deserves.
Speaker 1: It what's your relationship With? Web we touched on it In atlanta when we had him recently disintroducted The hall Of. Fame saw that shout, Out but what's your relationship With?
Speaker 27: WEB i Love web And i'm almost, sure especially Since juwan just re signed That i'll see him in that.
Speaker 8: Arbor i'm back living in the d AND.
Speaker 27: I see he just did it something incredible donation to cannabis and al killing them In detroit, too shot the.
Speaker 8: VIOLA i just love how.
Speaker 27: Strip clubs and we used to be taboo even though everybody else was doing. It now we started Doing it's great to see us getting profit off of, it and SO i believe we be able a break bread this year or whatever at a Game i'm GLAD i got a chance to be there when he got inducted in The hall Of. Fame i'm glad he got a chance to be on the show right AFTER i lost my, mom and so we're. GOODIE i have no, problems no ill will with my. Brother of, course we need to probably sit down and talk about some dotsormize and cross some teas or. Whatever but you, Know i'm taking the bullet for, see, well that's my.
Speaker 1: BROTHER i love to hear. That being big fans of both y'all and he was kind of my big brother coming up through the league and just being big. Fans so obviously at this, POINT i, mean tomorrow's never, Promised so to be able to see that bridge being rebuilt or not even that it was, broken but just being able with like you, said cross it, TOGETHER i think that's, dope. Man so we definitely commend you for. That McDonald's All American state champions scored forty three points in the championship. Game those are Your Al bundy days recruited you ended up Choosing. Duke what was it About duke that spoke right to?
Speaker 11: You By Olt bundy, days you.
Speaker 1: Know when he reminisces about his Polk hi. DAYS i used to do this in high school and do that in high, school but you really had the. Accolades, yeah.
Speaker 28: HONESTLY i MEAN i was A duke fan SINCE i was like, eight SINCE i first started playing, basketball and my first year of basketball was when they had had won their second national championship against.
Speaker 11: AGAINST i guess it Was michigan that.
Speaker 28: Year, yeah because in ninety one they Beat, Kansas so they Beat michigan in ninety, two AND i probably watched that game like twenty. Times somebody had had taped it ON vhs at our house and then it ended up getting taped over by the sound of.
Speaker 11: MUSIC i was FUCKING i had that game memorized for like two.
Speaker 29: Years and so it was like by the TIME i got to high, school, man LIKE i was getting recruited by a lot of, teams you, know LIKE, uva AND i was From VIRGINIA'S uva Was omnyard And Texas Stanford Billy. Donovan it was A florida at the, time AND i was really interested in going, there but it was always a situation where if coach k And duke.
Speaker 11: Had made me an, offer LIKE i was going to go, there you know it.
Speaker 28: Was it was the hardest part for me was saying no TO uva BECAUSE i did feel some sense of. Loyalty my family had lived In charlottesville for a few years before we moved To, roanoke and you, KNOW i had some friends that were going to go TO. Uva my best friend in high school was going to go play baseball and football. There so it was that was the hardest, part was just saying no to. Them but going To duke was it was the dream come. True you, KNOW i.
Speaker 5: DIDN'T i.
Speaker 28: DIDN'T i didn't, REALLY i didn't really bad AN I it was, like you have a chance to, come here's your you, know here's your. Offer and then like three days LATER i Called COACH k AND i, said.
Speaker 5: All, Right i'm.
Speaker 1: Coming that's. DOPE i, mean with the rich history At, duke with all The All americans AND nba, players they turned, out you, know two TIME Icc player of The, year all Time duke leading. Score what was your experience like, There and tell us About COACH. K what was like playing with him and what did you learn from.
Speaker 28: HIM i feel LIKE i HAD i had two chapters of My duke, career and it was you, know my freshman and sophomore year and my junior and senior, year and.
Speaker 11: My first chapter was really.
Speaker 28: Hard this was the chapter that Made Matt barnes THINK i was an, asshole and most Of america THOUGHT i was an. Asshole you, know you're you're eighteen years old as a, freshman AND i you, KNOW i, played and at that, POINT i played.
Speaker 11: In a lot of big, games but it's never in front of.
Speaker 28: Fans and you go on your first road game and it's that you're like twelve games into your freshman year and the entire student section is yelling profanities at. YOU i had in college my first two, YEARS i had this like bad acne and shoulder. Acne and so you see kids like wearing these Mock duke for number four jerseys and they've painted these red dots all over their shoulders and their signs about your, family and you're, like holy.
Speaker 11: Shit what DID i just sign up?
Speaker 28: For and you, Know i'm, Not I'm i'm not somebody that's gonna like back down from. That so THEN i sort of started creating this persona on the, court.
Speaker 11: And there was a lot of head, bobbing a lot of trash.
Speaker 28: Talking it was it was a lot like How jack played in THE, nba ONLY i was just a just a fucking cocky white, kid you know WHAT i.
Speaker 11: Mean so everybody hated, me.
Speaker 28: And you, know by the end of my sophomore, YEAR i was so distraught about, it AND i had gone to a really bad place and had had. MISBEHAVED i would SAY i misbehaved my sophomore. YEAR i tried to. QUIT i told my SISTERS i wanted to. Quit like this Was december of my sophomore.
Speaker 1: Year.
Speaker 28: DUKE i was, like, this this is not for, me is not WHAT i signed up. For AND i had basically a come To jesus moment with coach k in Late may of my sophomore. YEAR i guess it was after my sophomore, year summer between sophomore and junior, year and he sat me down the office and he just, said, look, man he's, like you've been, good like you you, know you Were all acc last year and you were third Team All, american we made The final.
Speaker 11: Four it's like you've been, good but what you're doing isn't good. Enough and Coach, collins who's.
Speaker 28: Now At, Northwestern Chris Collins Duck coollin's son he, Said i'll never. Forget he, said the sad thing is we'll never know how good you can.
Speaker 11: Be AND i was, like the fuck that. Hurts that.
Speaker 28: Hurts and that SUMMER i had them make me a schedule to the. HOUR i still have the fucking spreadsheet in a notebook in my. House they had met to the, hour you, know eight, am wake, up eight, thirty, breakfast nine, am checking with Coach, collins ten am Class and it was down the, line you, know, lifting, conditioning, basketball court, work study, hall lights, out ten. Pm and oh AND i had to carry a jug of water around the entire. SUMMER i had to have like a gallon jug of water.
Speaker 11: With me at all.
Speaker 1: Times was that to replace the?
Speaker 11: Beer, yes it was to replace the. Beer i'll take you guys want to know.
Speaker 28: STORIES i feel like this is the type of podcast WHERE i tell, Stories yes about my sophomore, year but so, yes As i'm walking around campus with the jugg of.
Speaker 11: Water SO i did that all. Summer they didn't let me PLAY usa.
Speaker 28: Basketball they're, like we want you, here we want you in our, environment and, man it was the best thing that ever happened for.
Speaker 11: ME i lost like twenty three POUNDS i.
Speaker 28: WAS i was over two fifteen at that, time In may of my sophomore. YEAR i started my junior year at like one ninety. TWO i was in unbelievable. SHAPE i won every preseason conditioning thing our team had that, year AND i Got National player of The year my junior year AND Acc player of the. Year we were we were undermanned. Squad we ended up getting a number one seed in THE ncaa. Tournament we won THE Acc, championship lost in the sweet.
Speaker 11: Sixteen like it was.
Speaker 28: An it was absolutely that year was the turning point in my. Life and it was all that that jugg of fucking, water that's all it.
Speaker 5: Was, hey what? What what?
Speaker 8: Was the N, c N c And duke ribery was, Like.
Speaker 28: Oh my, Gosh i'm gonna mix two stories. Here i'm gonna miss mix two. TOPICS i Know matt wants to hear some. Stories so the N c N c, double The, DUKE q AND c rivalry was was was.
Speaker 11: Crazy there was nothing else like.
Speaker 28: It and you, know growing up A duke, fan you have such an appreciation for that. Rivalry and my first time playing in it was A duke game at home against you AND. C my freshman year and the crowd was just, different the, buzz the energy was just. Different and you, know looking, back it feels like A game seven of a playoff. Game and that's what A duke qu AND c game feels. Like my sophomore, year we're. Playing we're we're gonna win the A sec regular season where the number one team of the COUNTRY us In, yukon we're basically number one or number two the whole, season so we're gonna win THE.
Speaker 11: Acc and it's the night before The DUKE q AND c.
Speaker 28: Game and it's game days, there so they got like the whole set up out In. Shoskville they got all the thus out.
Speaker 11: There oh it's.
Speaker 28: Popping So i'm in My i'm in my dorm room On West, campus AND i have a few friends. Over we we have a few beers or, whatever and so we get the idea that we should go down To shishiskville because that's where the party is.
Speaker 11: Tonight this is A friday, night it was A saturday night.
Speaker 28: Game so we go down there and LIKE i ended up playing beer pong with UN c, fans my roommates running Through shozhskiville screaming at, people waking them, up making them take shots Of Captain Morgan's oh this is pre cell phones with, cameras you, know this is pre social. Media like like looking, back LIKE i would have got kicked off the.
Speaker 11: TEAM i would have been a. Wrap it would have been a, rap.
Speaker 1: Right how did you play in that? Game? Though how did you play in that game that? Night next?
Speaker 28: Night not great in the first, half not great in the first, half BUT i.
Speaker 11: Had a good second. HALF i ended up with fifteen.
Speaker 28: Points uh and and uh made the made the made the the game winning defensive.
Speaker 11: Play believe it or.
Speaker 28: Not we stripped with shot McCants and then dove on a loose, ball got, fouled and and hit the game clinching free.
Speaker 14: Throw what was your recruiting? Process, like.
Speaker 30: You, know it was, good it was you, KNOW i mean for, me it was it was it Was Carolina. Georgetown those were the two schools THAT i.
Speaker 6: Loved dad wanted you to go TO. Unc, Yeah mama wanted you to go To. Georgetown, man that's.
Speaker 30: Right so we had we had we had we had season, tickets so we would go To georgetown. Games AND i don't know if you Remember Michael jackson played with point. Guard so he went to my high. School he used to work for my mother in the. Summers my mom Introduced Pat ewing to his. Wife SO i was SO i was entrenched With, georgetown LIKE i was all, in like we all. WERE i think at that time Black. TEAM i thought it WAS i thought it WAS hbcu back. THEN i didn't realize it was like, eleven you, KNOW i didn't realize it was a private. School but So, Georgetown, Carolina, Michigan virginia And duke AND i made my first visit and it was To duke And COACH k just kind of blew me. Away AND i knew right then THAT i wanted to be. There and and the genius of COACH k AND i, know you, know love Hate duke and all. That and obviously now he's had he had great success at the end and coached The olympic. Team but his ability to get people to buy. In he wasn't a, great excellent old, coach but like if he, sat he looked you in the eye like you believed in. Him and that was his, genius getting everybody to kind of like buy in to him and buy into one. Another and so do du really wasn't my, fate but like you, know it just felt, right and you, know made that, decision and you, know fortunately we made.
Speaker 6: History you win titles in ninety one and ninety, two the Famous Christian layton.
Speaker 5: Shot how big was that?
Speaker 30: Moment, Man it's, crazy you, know it's crazy to think that was thirty years ago and people still people still talk about.
Speaker 5: It But.
Speaker 30: Christian was a great college. PLAYER i Mean Alonso, SHACK i mean everybody he, faced he Dominated shack twice and.
Speaker 5: He and we had a good.
Speaker 30: TEAM i, Mean bobby was a great college point CAUD i was you, KNOW i was a good. Player he had three he had three guys in The College Basketball hall Of fame and so so those moments were. INCREDIBLE i don't think we realized while we were doing it the significance of what was. Happening we were just trying to. Win we WERE i was, NINETEEN i was a, kid and but that passed The. Laightner that. Shot laydenon didn't miss a shot the whole. Game Laden it was Cocky. Lighten it was like he talked. Trash he also had A he was a great teammate as. WELL i remember we had a GAME i talked about in the.
Speaker 5: Book we had a.
Speaker 30: Game we went To buffalo to Play cantius and it was a game for, him going back to his. Hometown and at halftime he had like one or two shots And Coach k's, like, Like, christian what's going, On like this game's for. You you act like you don't want to, play And he's, LIKE i want my hometown to see how good my teammates. Are and so you, know you you coming back, home college player of the, year you want to try to show. Out but he was trying to show us out and so he. He you, know you don't hear about that side Of. Christian you just hear the you, know the, crazy and there was a lot of. Craziness but but he. Was he was a great, competitor you, know he he he and he did his. Work he did his thing with.
Speaker 6: All the noise and knowing how everybody feel About, duke is the brotherhood tight enough to block out the noise and stay?
Speaker 8: Strong you?
Speaker 7: Know?
Speaker 30: YEAH i mean it's, funny, man BECAUSE i don't think we were aware of what people's perceptions were back then A duke AND i looked At duke no different THAN i looked At Wake, Forest Georgia, Tech. Georgetown these are p w y s that have good basketball, teams and SO i get it with the you, KNOW us Beating vegas and The Fab five and Obviously jalen's documentary and how they felt towards. Us BUT i wasn't aware of, that like, honestly like we we got along with every, like you, Know web was my. GUYS i talked some stories About weber and there when we were in high. School he used to come visit me In. Virginia you, know we didn't have social media and read the newspaper back, then so we were In. Durham we'd go To. Durham we go to, cookouts, barbecues. Barbershop everybody showed. Love SO i don't THINK i was aware that there was this. Stigma, yeah like this, NOW i should have known better BECAUSE i didn't like The celtics for the very reason people didn't like. US i was A laker, fan AND i identified with The. Lakers BUT i think because we had really good white players and had a very latner, pearly MAYBE i fit, this like you, know my parents and you, know people thought what they thought about. ME i think that might have contributed to the. Narrative but at the, time LIKE i was totally oblivious to that, narrative and not until years LATER i even thought the hate Towards duke later on was Because duke has success like The yankees or like.
Speaker 8: You, know The.
Speaker 5: COWBOYS i didn't.
Speaker 8: REALIZE i didn't really realize.
Speaker 1: That you could have used a better. Example BUT i feel you over.
Speaker 30: The forty nine, ers you, know you, know and so BUT i get it, now LIKE i, understand and it was an interesting, time and you, know and so you, KNOW i get the we had a brotherhood. Strong coach k moved, on you, Know shires recruited, well.
Speaker 8: You, know we hope to stay. Relevant. Man that's that's that's the main.
Speaker 6: Thing in ninety One final, four y'all started thirty, FOUR i, know before losing The Duke Grant Hill Barba, Hariley Christian latna talk about that.
Speaker 12: Shout out To. Duke, NO i played in. IT i played in, it you. Know and the only THING i can say about, IT i say this all the. TIME i lost the. GAME i lost the, game AND i say it's a GRIG a go bullshit and everybody go. Bullshit, no we did, this we did. That but being the number one playing college that. Year everyone here all the. SMOKE i lost the. GAME i didn't play. HARD i was out There, ladlergagon you, know on seventy eighty, percent thinking we're playing somebody just beat about thirty the year. Before but it was closed the whole, game AND i. Wasn't it wasn't with. Me were up, four we up, five then they're tied. Up we, go we going that little run. Again BUT i was loud. AGAIN i was thinking about the. League, yeah, MAN i said this. Before i'm not snitching. HIM i said this. BEFORE i always SAY i lost that. Game and at the end WHEN i anybody else saw the end of that, GAME i know you two did. Right SHOULD i shot the?
Speaker 4: Ball?
Speaker 5: ABSOLUTELY i should have shot the.
Speaker 28: Ball choke point, out he's gonna send five men to the.
Speaker 11: Boards Larry johnson brings the.
Speaker 28: Ball, up looks like he wants to go all the way with.
Speaker 1: Him he's outside, now stopping his. Trouble later on Him hunt will have to do something. Great hurling's gone two cost two cuts up to touch you AND, o, BABE i never.
Speaker 5: Heard THAT i. SHOT i should have shot the. Ball choke say that all the.
Speaker 1: Time talk a little bit about you touched on it, earlier but Just tark versus the, world the mentality of the. Team what kind of Dude tark, Was how he captivated people just like you guys did as a, team and just how good then obviously his wife and.
Speaker 8: Everything how good was he to you?
Speaker 12: Guys, again you're talking to someone who never met his. Father so every coach was almost, like that's who's telling me what to do day in and day, out, Right so as a, man so he was that and me and coach was real. Close AND i know people, saying, yeah he was a number one player on the, team but it don't matter who you. Are when you see the way he treated people and treated, you that's what a respect comes. In because he was bigger than we.
Speaker 5: Was.
Speaker 12: Now now we were some bad motherfuckers and everybody loved the, team but Coach tark was an. Outcome you got to remember to. Everyone, now you, guys what The raiders, There you got the girls team, there you got that badass hockey team, there, right forget about. It when we was AT, unlv there was no professional team. Nowhere it was just that college right there in that basketball.
Speaker 1: Team how important is it? Too because we do have some some high school kids and some college kids in that just falling in love with the. Game obviously you're IN, unlv and like you, said the world was right, there but you really loved the game and talked about being in the gym all the. Time how important was.
Speaker 5: That aspect for?
Speaker 8: You it was very.
Speaker 12: Important THAT'S i, mean you know how when you love the. Game these youngsters know how it. Is when you love, it you don't never want to be away from. It AND i saw an opportunity to get my moms no matter what we was. In you, know we all got that, story you know how that. IS i was that dude so and and anybody again when you put up them two, dude that was wilder. Up there was two. Squares it was two. Squares if it wasn't a female or gym or now you, know you only want to get something neat, man that's all we. Did so IF i IF i had a coach that was like, this that was that was that saw the vision and it was gonna help me with.
Speaker 5: It, man you KNOW i took.
Speaker 1: It so when do you feel like you were on the map? Then and it was In college of The arizona's when you put yourself on the.
Speaker 20: Map even even even even WHEN i went To, arizona.
Speaker 1: You, KNOW i got.
Speaker 8: Fault you, know there's you, Know i'm on a team with four you know.
Speaker 1: What was your?
Speaker 8: Team we had A Jason GARDNER.
Speaker 5: I was at the.
Speaker 20: Two we Had Richard jefferson at the, Three Michael right at the, Four Warren woods at THE fivet And Pig. Woods ship my my my freshman. Year we had Little record who came in From. Iowa and then we had Uh lithuania kid who who holds a record you know for Like duncan twelve six or thirteen feet you. Know so we had so much, talent SO i was getting red. Short we had a juco player co runner for the, Year Lamon, fraser you.
Speaker 8: Know so we had some boys coming. In SO i was the young, buck you, know like they're gonna red shirt me and COOL i can, learn and my asshole ism kicked.
Speaker 14: In, asshold, yeah my asshole doesn't kicked.
Speaker 5: In SO i was, like, Man i'm about to go for the.
Speaker 20: Position bro because, coach you, know coach will be like all, right so, listen the four and a five is set, one two, three fight for, it.
Speaker 8: Like, oh SHIP i started training fun that school, SHIP.
Speaker 1: I ain't what you was supposed to go, there, right that's.
Speaker 6: What you was on, too, Right, YEAH i WISH i could have got An annoucal. CHAMPIONSHIP i ended up losing by not getting. In they wanted theysed to my fresh. Year, okay my baby fresh, yea, yep that's. CHAMPIONSHIP i missed it not taking the, test showing up late.
Speaker 5: Hungover SO i.
Speaker 20: DIDN'T i JUST i just started, training watching the habits of you, know Like Ruben. Douglas and then like people, said Like Ruben, douglas we played.
Speaker 8: Against each other the high. SCHOOL i was, faster he was, stronger.
Speaker 20: Bigger BUT i WAS i was more, athletic and he just didn't know my skill LIKE i improved since high. School so when coach threw that ball, UP i was a whole nother. Demon so WHEN i stole a, position he was, Like i'm, Transferring and then Lou record, said Should i'm?
Speaker 8: Transferring? Oh should don't have no?
Speaker 20: Competition, YEAH i have no competition now LIKE i don't have NO i don't have to fight with. Anybody so now you, know NOW i have no. Worries NOW i can just play a free. Game and then once that free game came, in and you, Know i'm leading the team scoring, now AND i was like Should i'm four years, fast AND i THOUGHT i was going.
Speaker 5: To be who's recruiting you Besides? Arizona, uh North?
Speaker 8: RIDGE i was. LOW i was North it was North.
Speaker 20: RIDGE i was being recruited by North. Ridge and the guy from North ridge got a job At Kansas. State So Kansas state came, in you, know, like, yeah we're gonna give you a thousand thousand minutes as a. Freshman i'm, like ship, WHATEVER i just you, know just let me do WHAT i. Do and then The Paul paul came in.
Speaker 1: Squad then right before they had still que.
Speaker 8: And, yeah SO i was gonna go be the point guard.
Speaker 1: There Look michael McPherson. Too and Then Pat.
Speaker 20: Kennedy Pat kennedy the, coach and my dad had ties from you, Know, florida so they, was you, know working their little.
Speaker 8: Deal so SO i was gonna go.
Speaker 20: There so right BEFORE i was gonna, go, Uh Pat kennedy's mother, died so they had to cancel the. Trip and Then ludelsen came in and, SAID i mean he came into the house and, said, Listen i've never seen you play UNTIL i got on the. Plane you're you have the kind of STYLE i, like if you want to, come you, know it's whoever you know the sides first between, You.
Speaker 8: Kevin gaines And Jimmy.
Speaker 5: Hayward AND i was, like.
Speaker 20: Okay SO i went to go take a trip and it had like some little scrimmage There Michael dickerson, them AND i was. BAWLING i was, like, oh, Yeah i'm coming. Here i'm coming. Here you didn't get the pancakes from Miss. OLSEN i don't know she.
Speaker 6: Madcakes, yeah come, on don't tell me experience.
Speaker 1: That the trip in a.
Speaker 20: Pancake what kind of bond did you build With? Luke what's the Funny IS i Hope i'm a coach like him because you gotta, Remember I'm i'm, immature LIKE i Was dennis the, Minutes Like i'm, like there was no WAY i should have Been first of, ALL i should have been kicked out.
Speaker 1: The school or.
Speaker 20: Bench and he never he never punished me on that basketball, court like he never let some out WHAT i was doing outside affect my playing. Time, no the only way that you, know like IF i was gonna get bench is because SOMETHING i didn't, practice like IF i didn't go to.
Speaker 5: Class he's, like all, right you don't want to go to?
Speaker 20: Class five miles five, miles six am under thirty, minutes all, right you know WHAT i? Mean you, know so you know that's how you know that's BUT i looked at us Like i'm just getting in. Shape but he never he, never he, never like he never punished me for WHAT i was, Doing like he just you, Know AND i gotta respect that, because for the most, part in any other, coach, YES i would have been deep sitting on the, bench and he was, like you're gonna have to you, know if you don't want to go to, class you're gonna have to deal with that.
Speaker 8: SUIT i ain't got nothing to do with.
Speaker 5: Me you're gonna have to deal with that.
Speaker 8: Suit you got an old point.
Speaker 5: Two you're gonna have to deal with.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: No, no.
Speaker 1: It was crazy two thousand and. One you guys go to the N C DOUBLE A final and lose a heartbreak of The duke talked to us about that, game Because i've heard you AND rj go back and forth on this.
Speaker 8: Game, man he Let dunleavy man kick his ass up and down the. Court, man it's Dune, leavy.
Speaker 5: MAN i believe. IT i, BELIEVE i.
Speaker 8: Believe what was so, funny it's Dune.
Speaker 5: Leavy LIKE i had a.
Speaker 8: COLD i had a Cold au roommates. Group it was, me Dun levy And Luke. Ritt now that was my that was my age.
Speaker 1: At Luke ritt a.
Speaker 5: Game that's WHAT i.
Speaker 20: Said that was my little like when we when we go to like the pump cansus, something that was that was my little that was my.
Speaker 5: Trio so.
Speaker 31: When you when you grew up with dun levy's your your, teammate and then you playing in The western name and then you come ON, rj it's you, know first of, all he's been playing bad this whole.
Speaker 8: Tournament he should have got.
Speaker 20: Happiness on the other, side the super, athlete the man hit five threes in the game night, off you know WHAT i, Mean, like come, on, Man.
Speaker 8: SO i blame that on.
Speaker 20: HIM i, MEAN i was. LISTENING i was four for. Seventeen But i'm not going to play. Myself i'm not gonna you, know it's me Against duke at this. Point, becall you're just happy to be.
Speaker 1: Here, Yeah.
Speaker 8: But that's that's how we talk to each.
Speaker 20: Other, yeah come, on, man ain't help me. Out it was, like, yo, bro you're four for four for twelve right, NOW i Got i'm going against five, players expects me against?
Speaker 5: Them who they have to?
Speaker 1: Do who's on the due?
Speaker 5: TEAM a bunch of sorry Players Duke yeah sorry as a bunch of, dukeies you, KNOW a bunch of.
Speaker 20: Snobs they had a young young, boozer they had j Will, Duhan.
Speaker 5: Shane, battier a whole bunch of proper. Talking, mom that's a bunch of, squares all much improper.
Speaker 1: Talking about outside of that, game how Will how good Was Jason williams before he got in that motorcycle? Accident to?
Speaker 20: You, SEE i ask You i'm biased because our first introduction was the, turn you know WHAT i? Mean so the finals was so from there it was basically fuck him, right and then it became a double fuck him when he's coming into the. Draft, so you, KNOW i get the starting spot after my during my rookie, season So i'm coming into my sophomore year as the. Starter, well rumor hits that you, know if they get the number two picking the, draft they're going After Jason.
Speaker 5: Williams So i'm sitting here, like.
Speaker 1: Wait hold, on, wait this Is golden Stated.
Speaker 20: State So i'm sitting, there you, know with with you, know with the oldest smith who was you, know the now he was the player of.
Speaker 8: Development So i'm, like wait a.
Speaker 20: Minute if they drave, him he still got to beat, me, Right and it was, like he's gonna be the number two pick in the. Draft you think they're going to start a second rounder over the number two. PICK i, said, yeah he gonna have to beat it's my. Position he's had to he has to beat. Me he, said he don't have to do. NOTHING i, said, oh oh that's how You, oh that's how.
Speaker 5: You want to.
Speaker 20: Play So i'm lifting working on my, line like, YEAH i can't. WAIT i can't wait TILL i can't wait. DRAFT i hope y' all. DRAFTED i hope we get the number two. Pick we end up getting the number three. Pick so uh so we end up getting Done. Levy but when we played the, bulls ah over, nah get him, quick quick double. Double he asked the ta is he mad at?
Speaker 5: Me, Yes i'm.
Speaker 20: MAD i don't like, you but yeah he, was you know it was he wasn't explosive as D rose was but it was that type of that type of, shiftiness you know WHAT i, mean quick crossover and when he.
Speaker 5: Hit the, hole he hit the whole.
Speaker 8: Dunk and that was the sneaky part of it because he didn't look like he.
Speaker 1: Didn't guess, you he had a nice jumper. TIME i really liked. HIM i was JUST i. WAS i was sad that you, know obviously through that accident we didn't get a chance to see. Him but that's, funny your little, person it was a.
Speaker 20: Person it was so funny that he had no idea THAT i THAT i THAT i envied him because of, that because they were fighting for that number two.
Speaker 1: Spot college, freshman you get a chance to start and win a national. Championship we were talking about before we got. STARTED i, mean obviously the league is the, ultimate going the, prize BUT i had a blast in. College uh you talk to us about where'd you go to college?
Speaker 5: At?
Speaker 1: Uh you the dr backyard. University the streets are. Hard not as a freshman starting getting a chance to win a national championship At. Villanova talked to us about that.
Speaker 25: Experience it was that you it was Fun AND i say it was fun because it was it was up ups and. Downs like as a, Freshman, NAH i was An All american and so Like i'm, thinking Like i'm gonna go Like i'm gonna do my, thing and LIKE i, know obviously WHEN i got To, villanova it was like it was team. Oriented those dudes. Were he had a bunch of older. Dudes BUT i KNEW i had a chance to come in and, compete to start and. Everything So Coach wried didn't give me. ANYTHING i KNEW i was gonna have to compete for. Everything but coach writes another one who like everything was, mental like your mental approaches, everything and so like he would come into practice some days and try and break you and see where you. Were and that was his, goal to see where we were as a. Team and with, ME i JUST i could not let that happen in my three. YEARS i was, like this man would never be able.
Speaker 1: To do that do. That but.
Speaker 25: And we, fought, man we fought like. Hell we had like little things going on throughout the. Season but the one THING i realized that our practices were way harder than our. Games we're way. Harder so we got the game. Time we're, thinking these these dudes aren't playing as hard AS i was, like they may be more, talented but they're not going to outdog.
Speaker 5: Us so that's HOW i.
Speaker 25: Mean we obviously had different terminology and stuff like, that but that was basically what we. Did and So Coach wright had that mentality for, us and it was it was fun because we just knew the other dudes weren't going to just do the little things that we were gonna. Do so if we made, shots we were. Winning but if things weren't going well for. Us but it's kind of kind of tough en, up and he implemented implemented that into our minds and.
Speaker 5: Obviously every way.
Speaker 10: Is ironic, School LIKE i know he's, married but he's the ladies.
Speaker 22: Man.
Speaker 6: Like the ladies love him like you know who Love coach right ellen them that she Bro she called me and asked, me DO i know him? Really i'm, like, NAH i don't. KNOW i was just looking at a picture of, Him, like but she's. Not but she's not the first. One i've had other older ladies from When i'm working somewhere talk about.
Speaker 5: Him so like you must be man or. SOMETHING.
Speaker 25: Gqjq everyone everyone sees you nothing like. This everyone sees That Jay wright when he walks into practice sometimes and he's, like hair's a little messed, up and he got that scowl on his. Face his first name Is, Gerald gerald jailed, Right so he was all, right everyone else.
Speaker 5: Sees jay, right but we See gerald.
Speaker 8: Right you know you don't want to see cheryld.
Speaker 1: Right jerald's on some. Ship how did you learn how to play off two feet? With as A villanova that come earlier very skilled off two?
Speaker 5: FEET i learned a.
Speaker 25: LITTLE i learned it with obviously work with my, dad BUT i think At villanova it was like, polished polished it because everyone did. It it was something we did every single, day like, kids you. Not that's how we started, Practice that's how we ended practice like. That we started just doing our footwork. Stuff and So Coach wright was, LIKE i want you guys to have this in your, repertoire knowing that you guys can play the other, way but you will always have this style of.
Speaker 5: Basketball and then it. Works oh, yeah it.
Speaker 25: Works and then when we won that my freshman, year coach said his line with, Us he's, like now THAT i know this ship, works and it's going to be hell for you guys next.
Speaker 5: Year, yeah all, right so we really.
Speaker 25: Gotta but he really implemented that to us because we knew that sometimes people are going to be, athletic more athletic than we. Are but like so about how smart we are having in our footwork and all.
Speaker 5: Themself so he, yeah he every.
Speaker 25: Day how many prosals on that team for twenty, sixteen yea, Me Michael Ryan. Archidiac you Know Josh, hart our big, Man Daniel cheffy played in the league for a little. Bit who red shirted that year Is Dante Stephen, James Eric pascal red shirt that year because he.
Speaker 8: Transferred so.
Speaker 1: Six, Seven, yeah that's you guys get a chance to win another one twenty, eighteen so two time champ Also National player of The. Year you knew it was time to go after that.
Speaker 5: Change, YEAH i had no. Choice, also that's part about. It my mom like.
Speaker 1: THIS i graduated that year, too SO i.
Speaker 5: FINISHED i finished in three, years finishing, three finishing. Out but, yeah it was that was the.
Speaker 25: Plan LIKE i be thought about it my Sophomore but that's that's.
Speaker 1: Mom that's, work. MAN i love.
Speaker 25: THAT i can't give That dad, Said dad wanted me to do, it But mom was, like, nah on you make.
Speaker 5: Sure you did.
Speaker 6: It, YEAH i wonder how hard is that to graduate three? Years, yeah it took me four AND i still didn't forty five AND i even thought about. IT UV A university Of. Virginia you left. There you was three Time All, american finished At virginia's all time leading score and all time leading, assists.
Speaker 32: But both of those haven't broken since. Then how did it feel going TO? Uva and was it any other options Besides.
Speaker 5: YEAH i MEAN i was.
Speaker 18: RECRUITED i.
Speaker 33: WAS i was actually the number one high school player in the. COUNTRY i MEAN i don't EVEN i don't know how you do, that but they chose. ME i never ACTUALLY i went on maybe ONE aau circuit like. ONE i actually put participated in the very first.
Speaker 5: One SO.
Speaker 33: I WAS i was the high school player of the. Year SO i, mean every every school came after, me like like hundreds of. THEM i chose TO i chose to go To virginia for.
Speaker 8: For two.
Speaker 33: Reasons and one of, them, OBVIOUSLY i didn't want to go to a school that had already won.
Speaker 21: A national championship BECAUSE i wanted to be a part of that.
Speaker 33: Legacy and then the other thing WAS i, mean it's the strangest thing that attracts. Us BUT i didn't want to go to a school that had like traditional, dorms like you, know like you, go you got a roommate and then you got to take your bucket down the hall and go shower and like like that WAS i, MEAN i lived in the, Project SO i WANTED i wanted college to be a step, up, right, RIGHT i MEAN i had to share a room with my, sister and that's as far AS i wanted to go share room with. Someone and Then virginia had these dorms where there were four. Rooms you share the room with the, roommate and then you had you had two, showers and he had two, stalls and then you had like a common.
Speaker 21: Area so it was it was almost like an.
Speaker 33: Apartment and then the other schools THAT i the other school THAT i was very serious about Was Penn, state.
Speaker 5: And they had the old the all old school, dorms AND i.
Speaker 26: Really couldn't do.
Speaker 4: It so the non.
Speaker 5: Negotiable was the.
Speaker 18: Dorms SO i went TO i went To.
Speaker 1: Virginia that's a Crazy i've heard a lot of reasons why people chick. Schools i've never heard such like that with us. GOOD i feel you BECAUSE i was AT. Ucla they had a set up nice there AND i couldn't imagine like some schools they had like but in the summer school one TIME i had the situation where you had a roommate and you had to walk down the hall to. Shop like, HELL i left summer. SCHOOL i shouldn't do.
Speaker 6: It you ended up winning a national championship in twenty seventeen With South. Carolina do you feel like that made up of you not winning one while you was playing from you being so good AND i bringing one back to THE.
Speaker 33: Uva, yeah it actually did because it Took it took almost like twenty seven years and went one AND i had to get into coaching to do.
Speaker 34: That but it was it was so.
Speaker 5: Special it was so special that when we, WON i made sure that.
Speaker 33: Every like former player of mine BECAUSE i coached that temple And i'm coaching At South. Carolina when we, won every every player prior to twenty, SEVENTEEN i got them a, miniature a miniature national championship. TROPHY i got all of My virginia teammates miniature national championship, trophies all all of the people that coach with me At temple In South.
Speaker 5: CAROLINA i got the miniature national.
Speaker 33: Championship trophies because this was a dream far beyond twenty, seventeen AND i HAD i had teammates AND i had former players that believed in that dream.
Speaker 11: That we didn't get it.
Speaker 33: Done SO i WANTED i didn't want them to miss out on the opportunity of feeling. That and then on the back of, IT i put their name AND i just, said because of, you simply.
Speaker 1: That's really you don't hear stuff like that too. Often that's what's.
Speaker 8: UP i knew she was a real.
Speaker 5: ONE i told you.
Speaker 1: THAT i knew. That so tell me, this what was the feeling when you went back for Your jersey.
Speaker 5: RETIREMENT i don't even remember.
Speaker 33: THAT i really don't remember, that like LIKE i, mean really, HONESTLY i know that that. STUFF i mean there it's, nice BUT i mean it's, nice BUT i MEAN i Wanted hall Of. Fame ask me About hall Of, fame, like ask me About hall of like that. Is And i'm not trying to take ANY i, Mean i'm, grateful, grateful but there are just things that are like near and, dear like You're i'm in The hall Of fame with the greatest of the.
Speaker 5: Great, yeah one of the.
Speaker 1: Best, yeah we'll talk about. It what's it, like what's it like being in The hall Of.
Speaker 33: Fame IT'S i mean it's, Cool LIKE i don't always go back to the, ceremonies but WHEN i do go, LIKE i feel, proud LIKE i feel LIKE i. Belong AND i, STARTED i started an autograph collection SO i. CAN i can get all the greats WHEN i go. There so it's it's pretty, cool like LIKE i, MEAN i got. IT i got a pretty extensive collection of all.
Speaker 1: Favors your biggest basketball influence growing, up whether it be male or, female biggest basketball?
Speaker 23: Influence mmmm.
Speaker 35: SEE i really didn't like basketball growing.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 1: REALLY i didn't like to sweat WHAT i.
Speaker 8: Hate AND i still like a girly. Girl what AM? I, YES i, said, yes, yes.
Speaker 5: Yes still because she's still. BASKETBALL i can.
Speaker 35: TELL i hated basketball with a, passion like everything with. IT i hated the color of the. BASKETBALL i hated.
Speaker 1: EVERYTHING i was, like this is it's.
Speaker 35: DISGUSTING i love the guys that played, it you, know LIKE i was just, like oh, wait they're kind of, cute but playing it absolutely. Not but my father obviously played and he was, like you about to do something LIKE i. Didn't it was kind of like y'all didn't birth you for you just sit. Here SO i was, like all, right let me try. It so after WHEN i started getting, INVOLVED i LOVE i was a huge Blake griffin.
Speaker 5: FAN i.
Speaker 8: LOVED i just don't know what it.
Speaker 1: WAS i was a big Blake griffin.
Speaker 35: FAN i guess the fancy part of. It Obviously Kobe lebron like all of. Them and THEN i Met Don staley and Obviously candice was my growing up And Lisa, leslie even THOUGH i didn't get a chance to See lisa. Play but THEN i Met don and she influenced my whole career and it was like on something THAT i was, like, no this woman has really changed my. Life and that right there was all the, inspiration all the INFLUENCE i need to be me and, yeah she killed.
Speaker 5: It, Don, yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeh was there ever doubt in your mind that you were you were not going To South?
Speaker 8: Carolina?
Speaker 10: Yes, yes what else school you thinking about pulling up?
Speaker 8: TO i really wanted to go to The university Of Chapel.
Speaker 1: Hill, oh hold, up hold, up hold, on hold, On because the boys were. Cute, okay, okay wasn't even.
Speaker 10: Guy hell, oh y'all THOUGHT i was talking about?
Speaker 35: Basketball, absolutely, YEAH i was about to sign that dotted line on my official visits BECAUSE i was, like, oh, yeah see me.
Speaker 1: Here what who was not to say that that was who you was crushing? On but who?
Speaker 5: Was?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What what kind of team was there at that?
Speaker 35: TIME i have no, idea, okay BUT i just knew WHEN i got to that, CAMPUS i was, Like i'm just right up my. Alley but, yeah that was the only. Time BUT i remember WHEN i had to call my, coaches call the coaches to SAY i wasn't. Coming my mom was, like, well if you don't go want to go To South, carolina you're gonna have to Call Dawn, staley a black woman, yourself and tell her that you're not wanting to be coached by. Her AND i was, like, Whoa when you put it like, that this basketball there might be some. Good so, Yeah South carolina was my strong, second And i'm so.
Speaker 6: Glad THAT i chose best. Choice you were the number one in the. Nation Don staley moved you to the bench after your first. Game she was pissed, off or did you deserve.
Speaker 8: IT i deserved. IT i know what she was doing.
Speaker 35: Too, YEAH i stuck it up my first, time like my first collegiate. Game it was so, bad like it was. Horrific SO i was, Like, okay maybe the bench is for. Me let me try, this give it a, try and then, yeah the rest of the rest is history of that.
Speaker 8: Point do you think that she sent you to the bench to wake you up?
Speaker 35: Mentally she really didn't start getting to me mentally until like sophomore junior. Years she started from mental. Games but LIKE i think she knew like that was just gonna be the.
Speaker 8: Best fit for.
Speaker 34: Me LIKE i needed time to see, that see the, Game.
Speaker 35: LIKE i couldn't just throw My she couldn't throw me out there because the game was too.
Speaker 8: Quick.
Speaker 35: Problem, YEAH i would have never probably been the same player if she would have just let me be out. There so, YEAH i think she just kind of pulled me because she was, like, nah you just need to see it and then you can kill them now.
Speaker 1: Right look at. You what was it like when you first met? Her, ooh it was just like, coach they keep, it keeps it.
Speaker 35: Real so it's just like honesty and like she just really Feels she felt like my second mother then and now she still feels like my second mom. Now so like she was in gyms WHEN i wouldn't have been playing BECAUSE i was terrible at, basketball but she was.
Speaker 8: There like the loyalty she.
Speaker 35: SHOWED i was, like, nah LIKE i gotta you got something, else like want TO i want to? Grow, YEAH i need to, grow and that you're the best.
Speaker 6: Basketball we know she's a big part of your career and your, success but what does she teach you about?
Speaker 35: Life be your pro and be disciplined in everything that you, do like don't take anything, lightly don't take anything, Off like always be a pro the way you carry yourself because you never know who's. Looking but just being in spaces that you feel, safe but never lose. YOURSELF i think that was the biggest thing with.
Speaker 10: Her she let me be.
Speaker 35: Me Like it'll be days WHERE i would come into her office crying because my boyfriend takes me back and she's, like, like take it, off like it's a. Lot so she just allowed me to be. Human AND i think you see that also in her when she's in the, community when she's talking and she's tweeting with, fans like you never lose sight of just getting into the celebrity, vibe but always stay humble and stay within.
Speaker 8: Yourself so she always taught.
Speaker 6: Us we spoke about it a little, bit but let's touch on it and on its. Own how many people seven years, old how many people get this and you have your own? Statue, yeah that just take us through that.
Speaker 1: Day you go buy and clean it. Off, Ever, yeah Dust.
Speaker 35: On it was in a crazy experience because they told me at, graduation BUT i thought it was a.
Speaker 8: Joke LIKE i was on my phone during, graduation all these cameras pulled up AND i was, like what are you go going?
Speaker 35: On and so that's when the president of the school was, like, yeah we want to give agent. Statue SO i thought it was a. Joke i'm starting to laugh like, whatever like y'all not because people always, say, oh they need a.
Speaker 23: Statue So i'm.
Speaker 35: Chilling and then that's when it really hit. Me the lady that sculpt sculpted. Me she Did Michael jordan's as, well and.
Speaker 5: SO i had to go to.
Speaker 1: All, right, yeah and so they came and.
Speaker 35: Right when she she name dropped when she came to my face and like not my. Face she came To chicago and she literally scaled my whole, face like my, teeth LIKE i had like all these things around my.
Speaker 10: Face she's, like, YEAH i had to do this FOR.
Speaker 35: Mj AND i was, like, girl you can't just say, that like's nothing, Right, like, No you're in good. Hands and THEN i went AND i saw. IT i was, like oh my, god my legs are, Nice LIKE i like, this this is.
Speaker 16: Cute so.
Speaker 35: Yeah then FINALLY i watch a lot of scary, movies SO i was, LIKE i hope nobody trying to take me out When i'm up here trying to say my. SPEECH i got nervous, there but, no AND i saw. It it was truly amazing and like you, know like you, said Like i'm young and to have something like that to be.
Speaker 10: Immortalized it's.
Speaker 16: Crazy when you hear the Name Dane, smith what comes to.
Speaker 5: Mind conscious. Brother he was a conscious. Man you.
Speaker 17: Know he really used his platform too to enroll you into what was possible in your. Life he developed good, citizens and you see that not With michael And sam AND i And. Vince you see it with all his lettermen who have done. Well he took us to play a game With North Carolina State. Prison we went in there and this was in eighty and you, KNOW.
Speaker 5: I wasn't.
Speaker 17: COMFORTABLE i, mean they were looking at us in different ways than.
Speaker 5: Basketball but he.
Speaker 1: Was he.
Speaker 17: Was he's that kind of, guy you, know he's it didn't matter if you Were Michael jordan Or michael The Tower. Boy so he used his platform very well to kind of prep you for for life and keep you.
Speaker 16: Humble did he make you feel not only, wanted but like family and your recruiting.
Speaker 17: Process he's very, honest so you, know and a lot of people don't believe it's WHEN i tell, him but he was strictly by the. BOOK i mean you can ASK. Mj sam. Anybody there was no you, know money or anything. Involved but he'd come in and tell your. Parents he got to know your parents really. Well he promised you three. Things she's, LIKE i promise you son and. Graduated if he stayed four, years promise you that you, know.
Speaker 5: He'll go to.
Speaker 17: Class and if he's a, freshman we require you to go to the church your first. Semester and my mom was sitting over, there AND i, KNOW i know when she heard, that she was, like, damn that's where he's. Going but he was really honest AND i had always loved him since he Bought Charlie scott was the first BLACK acc player to come to THE, acc And Coach smith.
Speaker 5: Took a lot of.
Speaker 17: Heat they tried to fire, Him they hung him in F g after a, game but he used to take stands like. That Took Charlie scott the church with, him took him to restaurants in sixty seven.
Speaker 5: Where blacks weren't still. Allowed SO i knew about him.
Speaker 17: Early AND i got to go to basketball camp W i fell in love with guys Like Phil, Ford Walter, davis guys like, that you. Know so you, Know mitch Cup check was, there SO i. WAS i was kind of tied, in locked in from like fifteen years.
Speaker 6: Old is it true that he left EVERY unc players money for a stake diner when he passed two hundred?
Speaker 17: Dollars, yeah every letterman that played for, Him AND i think he was like sticking it to THE.
Speaker 5: Ncaa, YEAH i take care of my.
Speaker 17: Player, yeah find Out i'm gonna do, something you're not gonna be to do anything about.
Speaker 5: It but, uh and then you know he's the write personal.
Speaker 17: Notes he'd have his secretary type him up and then at the bottom it would always be ps and he would write it a few.
Speaker 5: Lines so he had he had special special touches.
Speaker 17: Like that and a memory like you wouldn't, believe which was which was sad to see him have dementia at the end of his.
Speaker 5: Life but, yeah he had a memory that it was like.
Speaker 15: Amazing everybody talk About MJ's championship shot nineteen eight three Against georgetown the, championship but you had twenty eight thirteenth or seventeen from the.
Speaker 5: Field why don't talk about? That it was on your. Shoulders but what's your take on?
Speaker 17: That, well you, Did Joe. John you, know if you watch the The Michael jordan, documentary it was A chicago not the hair. MOVIE i had a statement With Michael. Kane uh To, CAROLINE i tell EVERYBODY i WAS i was better Than. Michael, yeah, yeah you know for about three. Weeks for about three, weeks, MAN i knew he had.
Speaker 5: It when you're an athlete and you guys are both. TOUGH i watched. YOU i watched your whole. Career you, know when.
Speaker 17: You're when you're tough and you're not going back down from, anybody and you're gonna take him. On but then when somebody comes along that this the fucking tougher than, you they're, like he was an. Assassin and he bullied. Me he because you, know he's he sought out the best and. Everything if you were the best backgamming player in the, dorm he wanted to. Know if you were the best card, player he wanted to find. Out and he took everything as if he was losing a game. Seven losing just WASN'T i didn't care what it. Was he'd break a table if he lost the Backgam and so he sought me, out and you, know we practiced two, hours two and a half. Hours you guys know how some college. Practice are you ready to get out of?
Speaker 5: There and he.
Speaker 17: Would i'd be walking off the court and he, pushed where you're, going, young young, Fella that's what he called.
Speaker 16: Me so you were junior when he was juniors freshman.
Speaker 17: Year and so, yeah you, know he wanted to know and uh and throughout that, year even THOUGH i, was you, KNOW, mvp there were some games Against virginia in THE acc tournament Where michael kept us in the, game some big shots against you, Know Ralph sampson and those. Guys and then Against, georgetown we only had really five players Against Patrick ewan and my home boys sleeping floor and they were. Tough, uh But michael hit some big shots and kept us, in you. KNOW i and then at the end of the, Game Coach smith wanted me to be like a, decoy you. Know you know we had we had lost To indiana the year Before Isaiah thomas And Bobby, knight so getting back was was special AND i wanted to win or.
Speaker 5: Lose he'd been punching On. MIKE i, BEAT i.
Speaker 17: BEAT i would always Beat mike Doesn't, yeah you, know zeke zekes opinionated.
Speaker 5: Alone, man you had a good. Career it was.
Speaker 17: Awesome uh but, yeah, man uh you, know because you know they expected me, to you, know to take the. Shot you, know we run a high low against their. Zohn Patrick ewhan was a, beast AND i wanted to win and. Lose Because michael was a. FRESHMAN i didn't you, KNOW i didn't know if he had it in his, veins but, UH i was to flash in the. Mill Coach smith didn't call it up like, that but he knew it would work out that. Way we ran our offense, properly so we ran the high, Low sam went down. LOW i flashed in and three guys collapsed And michael was wide. Open now he he didn't draw it up like. That but at the end of the time, out you, know when you're walking back on the, Court michael was one of the last. Guys AND i Heard Coach smith kind of if you get, it if you get it clean, looking knock.
Speaker 1: At, it you, know you know.
Speaker 17: What so and, Yeah se, knew he Knew michael had it in his, veins and, uh, yeah that was the. Beginning we called Him, Mike Mike.
Speaker 16: Jordan kenny said he had no handle when he came to when he first got.
Speaker 5: There no, handles, no not, Well kenny had.
Speaker 16: Him.
Speaker 17: Uh AFTER i, Left kenny still mad at me BECAUSE i Recruited. Kenny he wanted to play with me AND i left after my junior.
Speaker 5: Year he And Brad.
Speaker 17: Dougherty but, yeah he he didn't have a lot of fundamentals when he. CAME i think he was a better baseball player coming out of high. School and you, know you've heard the story of him getting cut from his high school team, once so he had a lot to work.
Speaker 5: On he had raw, talent though raw. Talent but when he got the.
Speaker 17: Fundamentals down after his freshman, year and he worked at it because we had drill after drills after. Drills whatever his weakness, was he was willing to work on, it and SO i can't remember him having UH i, mean back then we ran four. Corners there wasn't a twenty four second shot clock his freshman, year so he was okay in, that BUT i don't remember him ever having the ball handling skills that our guard has to POSSESS u N C u N c summer. Runs, yeah how was? That Lawrence taylor played in some of those football players And wool And Jim la was. Nice, yeah Well Lorene taylor was a. Beast you get the, rebound you just move out of the. Way, yeah he was, coming he was, coming but, yeah to pick up games because a lot of guys From duke came.
Speaker 5: Over that's seven miles. Apart we.
Speaker 1: Go oh, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 17: And Wooland jim but they were like they were like iconic. Games you, know you guys probably faded some of the games over AT U c L. A you, know you don't want to you don't want to. Lose so, yeah there was two courts you always had when THE lt, came he was for a good. Player, uh but, yeah he was a.
Speaker 1: Beast you ended up Choosing North. Carolina who else was in the mix for Colleges for?
Speaker 7: COLLEGE i Was duke and at school From durham we don't say that. Name And virginia those are SCHOOLS i. Visited BUT i always want to play THE Acc at that, time that was when the conference was to, me THE acc had the best.
Speaker 8: CONFERENCE i wanted to play against the.
Speaker 7: Best BUT i Chose North carolina because WHEN i went to the practice AND i Saw Sam, Perkins Brad, Dougherty Michael, JORDANS i looked at it AND i, SAID i don't know IF.
Speaker 8: I could play. HERE i was a little.
Speaker 7: NERVOUS i had never seen seven footage like they. Had they had they Had tim McDonald Wall americans the.
Speaker 5: Team.
Speaker 8: MAN i was, like, DAMN i don't know.
Speaker 7: IF i could play. HERE i, SAID i KNOW i could go To duke and. PLAY i could play It virginia AND i, SAID i gotta go here BECAUSE i. CAN'T i can't be there thinking that they're better than. Me and SO i wound up Going at that, Time you know which is now if you don't do. IT i was only the fifth freshman that ever start at the. University, like but now if you don't start as a, freshman people like the. Transfer but that was unusual to start as a, freshman you, know for for, Me SO i Chose North carolina because of that.
Speaker 5: Reason.
Speaker 7: Uh and they had, everything like all the schools, like oh we got a good academic, school good social, life it was a good basketball like they had.
Speaker 8: Everything WHEN i was.
Speaker 5: It was like a.
Speaker 7: Movie you know how you see those college. Movies you see like the fraternities and the kids walking through. Campus it just it just felt like a. MOVIE i was, like this isn't. Real Like i'm coming From New. York it's like there's no. Campus Saint john's doesn't have a, campus like Really like SO i was like they were, like they use the city's your.
Speaker 8: Campus i'm, like, nah, Bro i'm. NOT i would have had to take the same bus THAT i took the high.
Speaker 5: School to take To Saint.
Speaker 8: JOHN'S i was, like, NAH i, Can't i'm not having a bus Pass.
Speaker 5: St.
Speaker 1: Johnson, YEAH i mean your freshman year team that to name a, Few Michael, Jordan Brad, Dougherty Sam, perkins, YOURSELF i, mean what were those, Practices.
Speaker 36: Like you know what the crazy part was, That, no that wasn't a question who was the best Playoff i'm gonna get.
Speaker 8: THAT i want to hear that one want the best.
Speaker 7: Player Sam perkins was the best player in my freshman, year like Because sam was a four Time All american that you know that wouldn't happen today anither like first team first team For sam was the best. Player michael was the most, dynamic but he didn't have a. Handle he couldn't handle the rock like in. College, no he couldn't handle the. Rock so like even even at Times i'd be, like you beat, me play pick up LIKE i Got mike BECAUSE i Know i'm, like get up under.
Speaker 8: You like you can't handle the, rock and uh what?
Speaker 5: Happened and then and then he's the only guy THAT i know that.
Speaker 7: His weaknesses that he had at the end of his career was a. Stress the only Person i've Ever lebron's not like, THAT, Kd, no, Nobody he's the only ONE i. Did his handle was crazy and his jump shot was. PURE i, said how do you miss a jump? Shot you got a perfect for? Him but we talked about.
Speaker 1: It AND i was, like this is not.
Speaker 7: Competitive we talked about competitive With, mike SO i used to. SAY i was, like it's, like, oh you think you could. Go it's like, yeah because your handles.
Speaker 8: WACK i used to say your handles, WHACK i could guard you and like blah blah. Blah so now we we're doing.
Speaker 6: That we.
Speaker 7: Playing he goes to The, olympics comes, back goes to the, league comes back for the summer because all the, players with Every northlina player, came but we all come back and. Play so the gym is the doodles like it's like ANY nba. Team we would beat like in that gym without. Question and he's my, Moment he's, Gone i'm, like, damn gang. Out he's, like my, handle been working on, it BUT.
Speaker 5: I forgot accept.
Speaker 32: THAT i really.
Speaker 7: FORGOT i said, it and he's, like my, handle, right you're talking about my. Handle but he was like the stories are true about his. Competitiveness like we were we were playing pick up one. Day so this is when you knew you MADE i MADE i made it, too because the juniors and, seniors you, know even at y'all school probably picked the.
Speaker 1: Team yeah, yeah, yes right straight out of high school went To, mexico, right so they.
Speaker 11: PICKED i don't get a lot Of this is how we do.
Speaker 7: It so the pros go on one hand and they players college players on the, other and then you pick your. Team but you could you could pick the pros across. Over you could cross. Over So michael and Or sam whoever they, were have senior leaders and junior. Leaders they the team and the first, day you, know you, know as a, freshman you're just. Sitting they're not picking. You so you get on the quarter. End so about two weeks, later bout a week, Later, Uh michael was picking and he's, LIKE.
Speaker 8: I GOT i Got New. York they used to call Me New.
Speaker 7: YORK i Got New. YORK i was, like oh, SHIT i got picked. First he was like firsts twenty pros in the. GYM i was, like oh IT'S i was, like so my my confidence was Boost so now we're playing, right and we went. In we went in games and so every time we, win you, know you go get. Water And i'm Watching mike and he's standing in the middle of center. Court i'm, LIKE i walk, up, like, yo what are you. Doing he's, LIKE i want the Mother beckers to know That i'm never leaving the. Court i'm gonna be the first to stand here to. LAST i was, like all, right so we.
Speaker 5: Both like we.
Speaker 8: Do this is how we're doing. IT i, mean he was, LIKE i, mean he was the first dude THAT i met that could back up his.
Speaker 36: Trash like every day every, day always a, talker always a, talker and always backed it up, though like and he really took more, pride especially than his.
Speaker 7: Defense he's, Like Walter, davis you're not scoring. Today you're not scoring, Today Walter. Davis like he that's the type of energy.
Speaker 5: He was on all the.
Speaker 7: Time he and when he got to the. League so we had, dorms and our dorm numbers don't. Change so if you had dorm number, eight it's the same phone number next.
Speaker 8: Year you're just a different. Person so all when he comes in, town this.
Speaker 7: Is before The, instagram and you'd hear the phones go bring and somebody hang up bring and you just hear it going.
Speaker 1: Down so it's.
Speaker 8: Him all he say is schools in, session.
Speaker 7: Boochoo so everybody come in the, hallway be, Like mike's, Here mike's, here, Right. Mike so he go and he called each room to let her know would come to the gym schools and it was in, session so the gym would be.
Speaker 8: Packed we got four thousand people watching our pickup. Games that's, crazy four. Thousand that's dopest hell it.
Speaker 1: Was it.
Speaker 7: Was it was unbelievable that time basketball was a Different there was No Charlotte, hornets so like people would and this is no social media and people that all hold word them out and they would be for it would be four thousand people when he came in that.
Speaker 1: Gym good OLD i mean obviously with his competitiveness and his desire to get better at a young, age did you see him possibly being a GREAT.
Speaker 8: I knew he would be. GREAT i never thought he'd be the greatest because.
Speaker 7: WHEN i first saw, him and then WHEN i saw him when we even in, practice like you don't, LIKE i guess it's like you have a beautiful wife and you like take it for granted.
Speaker 5: Because she's there every.
Speaker 8: Day you see, It you see it every. Moment you, know you see every moment you know a beautiful person you're. Around you see that bad side, too you see the days that they're in the.
Speaker 7: Mood so for, HIM i saw those moments AND i was, like but then when he when he left and he came, BACK i saw that the energy that he put into his, game like he never stopped.
Speaker 8: Working Man like his stuff is not an. Accident like it's not, like oh he was.
Speaker 7: Gifted, no he was the most fundamentally sound player that ever played the. Game if you watch the, videos his his left handed is in the correct paths and, lane his footwork is. Unapeckable the offensively you, know his jab step is he's the always ball, moved, beat stay still like all of those things were all the.
Speaker 8: Time and then he was the best.
Speaker 7: Athlete most guys who were athletic didn't rely on. That you, know his greatest even you, know and this is not a not but his Greatest Claude drexler. Was that was the difference between him And. Mike to, me it's just the fundamentals of jab step and that's you, know the stuff That Dean smith. Learned but, uh and It mike gets a lot of credit, for like his, quotes but it's Just Dean smith's. Quotes it's. Stolen it's it's just he just, adds explicives everything everything That Coach smith said to. Us that's What mike, said every know you you can pull. It it's every. Interview it's plagiarism.
Speaker 1: To THE i mean speaking To Coach, smith what was it like some of the stories and memories you have rest in? Peace obviously one of the greatest to ever do, It Dean.
Speaker 8: Smith he was to, me it was like playing For gandhi mm, hmm like you know WHAT i.
Speaker 5: Mean he.
Speaker 7: Was it was so real about his inner person who he. Was my favorite story is is not even with. Me it's, uh it's With mac Taw enjai who played At North. Carolina he was From, africa played At michigan transfer in and went To.
Speaker 8: Oki he went To.
Speaker 7: Okill So Mac mac, was you, know having a tough time in. Practice So Roy williams was assistant coach at the, time and he's In bill guthriche and so they're getting On matt Like, mac what's wrong with?
Speaker 5: You blah blah.
Speaker 7: Blah Coach smith's never cussed, ever excuse me ever ever, ever never. Cussed so they're getting on, him and so they throw him out of. Practice, Right So Coach smith after practice goes to, him Says, mac because everything all, right like homesick like and he's, like no, coach and he's. Not he's not looking at. Him he's, like he's, Like, matt look at me When i'm talking to.
Speaker 5: You he's, like, no.
Speaker 7: Coach i'm just not Feeling, matt look at me AS i talk to. You he, said, coach and my culture to look at an adult in the eye. Isspect it's trying to. Disrespect So's coachman, says, Oh, okay walks. Out so next day in, practice there's no Coach guthridge who threw him out of. Practice Coach guts is not there for a. Week So max, said he gets a call because from his. Mom she's, Like, matt this is man here In, africa says he's your coach. Assistant. COACH i know it's Coach. SMITH i don't know. Him, well he's been here for a, week saying he's learning our. Culture he sent Coach guthridge to learn his culture so he could.
Speaker 8: Never make that mistake. Again that is what Coach smith.
Speaker 5: Is that's The.
Speaker 1: Yes two year Pit stock you win a Champion National championship in eighty, one dropped twenty three Versus Sam perkins And James worthy over In North. Carolina what was your favorite on the court moments in? College was it that? Championship two. Favorites the first favorite Was february fourteen In, Iowa Mike whitson's return because my freshman year he had back.
Speaker 5: Surgery we were ranked number.
Speaker 37: One whitson goes, Down whitman goes, Down boushie goes, down and, we like you, know were. Faltering, Right woodson comes back and that's his first, game and it's In Iowa, city and this is my freshman year and my whole my whole time, now you, know playing for Coach. Night i'm waiting for this genius, moment, Right i'm waiting for him to grab the, clipboard you, know and draw up some. Stuff BUT i ain't seen no clipboard and like you, KNOW i ain't seen the clipboard like SINCE i got. There, Right so we, Down we down one In. Iowa it Was wody's first game, back and we called time out and Now i'm, like, okay this this is the. MOMENT i got no getting ready to drop a play, now, right this was the play he, Said, whitson can you make a?
Speaker 8: Shot what he?
Speaker 37: Said, YEAH i knock it. Down coach he, said he called me pee. Wee he said, okay pee. WEE i want you to move the ball Around. TOBERT i want you to set a screen For. Whitson, WHITSON i want you to get open pee. Weee when he gets, OPEN i want you to hit. It woody knocked the shot. Down i'm, like on the left, side the right, Side, well wh Where's whatson gonna?
Speaker 1: Be i'm.
Speaker 5: Scared i'm like.
Speaker 8: Scared i'm like walking down on the.
Speaker 1: Floor i'm, like, okay how we gonna get the ball?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 38: Right he wants you to put everybody in. Place i'm, like, hey, man just All i'm. Doing SO i passed it AND i run over there and get it. Past So i'm waiting For woody To woody come. Off tobah sets a, Downscreen whitson comes off on the left. SIDE i hit him boomom and he banks it right off the.
Speaker 37: Glass and to, me that was the most that was one of the most beautiful MOMENTS i have, experienced because what he recruited.
Speaker 1: Me that was my senior. Year he had back.
Speaker 37: Surgery you, know he's coming, back you, know and SO i was, like. Okay second best moment, was you, know Be North carolina in that final. Game so two things happened in that. Game in the first, Half North carolina got out to a good, start AND i knew we didn't have the talent to play with them right talent for, talent they were Better James, Worthy Sam. PERKINS i would that's the back. Line worthy was a number one. PICK i Think perkins was, like you, know five or, six AND I will was like ten or. Something But North carolina they played that platoon, system SO i was just they got up AND i was, like, okay we just got a hold on fellas because five minutes they're gonna Take worthy. Out they're gonna Take worthy And perkins. Out and when they took them, out so that's when we was able to come. Back but one of the biggest PLAYS i thought in that game clocks running. Down we got the last shot out the half And whitman's in the in the in the right corner And i'm standing. There we're you, Know i'm dribbling the, ball trying to you, know make sure like everybody is set doing what they're supposed to, do trying to start, time And whitmen AND i make eye contact and you, know we run the clock, down kick it over The. Whitmen he knocks down the shot in the in the first. Half they gave us crazy momentum going in BECAUSE i think we either went up one or was down. One we come back out the third to start the second, half and THEN i take.
Speaker 8: Over so you know.
Speaker 37: That BUT i thought that shot was one of the biggest moment in the.
Speaker 5: Game how many back boys have you shot?
Speaker 1: It just?
Speaker 5: ONE i brought a lot of.
Speaker 22: Rims just shot at one boy at the right, time at the right time of the, tournament.
Speaker 5: At the right.
Speaker 22: Time, man talk about. That my Man Jason sassi bro shout out To Jay. Sass his Nephew marcus is a hell of a player place at The university Of. Houston marcus sas his. Nephew my man J martin point guard From. Inglewood uh he, hit he hit jail on you At. Jason, yeah, Bro i've been doing j for over thirty, years J.
Speaker 5: Martin so, Yeah.
Speaker 22: Jay went hit hit Hit sass in the post And vince was guarding. Me antoine was Garden sass And SaaS threw up the right jump. Hook vince went to go double. ONE i had a straight line right to the. Rim man was caught off as a rebound and the rest of his mother fucking down, too and that actually tied the game. Up like we was going back and, forth AND i think that might have made it sixteen to. Sixteen they had had my man who want to see later on the. Night they Had jeff. McGinnis they Had, Uh Antoine, Jamison Vince, Carter sir S Quicker Shaman. Williams That carolina team was, strong ye, ka dont you know WHAT i? Mean they had A they had a, strong strong. Squad and we Had Tony, battiz, Myself saz J, Mark Corey, carr Uh Coy smiths and they. Cook we had we had a pretty tough squad, too but it was one of those. Things, man we're going back and. Forth when that, happened we had to stop the game forty five, minutes watch the ice glass out our. Back we had to take, showers and my Man corey came, out went on a three point. Barage corey came out and hit like four straight. Threes man just opened the game. Up we ended up winning by twenty ninety two to seventy. Reading and they drug tested me. FEVERISHLY i gotta be on something.
Speaker 5: Right everything came back, clean. KIDS i was just On Steak milk And Broci.
Speaker 39: JACK i can tell you a funny, story, man after we won the national. Championship and this is before the social media era that you, know nobody really knew or talked. About but we just won a national, championship, Right so we're going to Uh so we're on campus and colleg comes up to. Me it's, like, Hey, rip let's go To hartford right to get some gear because that's where all the hip hop you, know you get all your hip hop clothes and get. Fresh he was, Like, yo my man got a store, there you, Know let's go down there and get some. Clothes So i'm, like all, right, cool you. Know so we go to the store and get some gear whatever. Whatever, Right so we get back in the. Car now we on our way back to. Campus So colie, like oh, man you know, what, Man, rip let's right through the. Hood you know What i'm saying from the.
Speaker 8: People So i'm, Like i'm, like, hey.
Speaker 5: Let's just get.
Speaker 39: Back let's get back to. Camp he's, like, nah let's just ride through real. Quick i'm, like all, right, cool let's do. It so we riding through the. Neighborhood you know What i'm, saying you, know everybody in the neighborhood giving us love, whatever, whatever high, five, whatever. Whatever so we stopped by this little, project you know What i'm saying over, there, right and a couple of homies you know in the, neighborhood you, Know new k and they was, Like, yo what's, up, man, congratulations you, know just give him, love, right shake your, hands napping over the.
Speaker 5: Whatever.
Speaker 8: Right so we're in the car and one.
Speaker 5: Dude comes over and he says a k uh.
Speaker 39: Huh, man you know What i'm, saying and reaches in a car and acts like he gives him. Debt but then he pulls his hand back, right and then the homie was, like, hey you know, what just give it to.
Speaker 1: Him.
Speaker 39: Man the dudes won the national, championship AND i don't know what the hell is they you know What i'm, saying, like just give it to him whatever.
Speaker 5: Whatever. Right so then k was, Like, Nah i'm cool whatever.
Speaker 11: Whatever homies, like, nah give it to.
Speaker 5: Him.
Speaker 39: Boom gave him high, five you know What i'm. Saying and it was two dying bags of, weed, Right.
Speaker 26: Kate ky takes it, Right kay takes it, right puts it in his pocket.
Speaker 5: Boom.
Speaker 39: Right so Now we're in a, car, Right so we sped. OFF i mean we going thirty miles an. Hour as soon as we hit the, Corner, bro the sirens go. Off police come out on foot. Sprinting run stop, them they, Ran they ran stop sign and they've.
Speaker 5: Been speeding or.
Speaker 26: Whatever i'm, like, bro we ain't been, Speeding like what the hell going?
Speaker 8: On like you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying ONCE i see, Police i'm. Shook. Right so Then kate, like, oh.
Speaker 39: Man like, damn like you know WHAT i, MEAN i got this on me like like you know WHAT i, mean we cut college kids at this. Time you, know marijuana was a big thing back, then like like. Child so the cop come out, right so he like he's put this one, Cock come take me and put me in a cop. Car they take him and put him in a cop. Car i'm, like, yo what the hell's going? On so the cop Car i'm, in the police is, like, Man, britt, like why are y'all?
Speaker 8: Here And i'm, like, bro we just came here.
Speaker 26: To get some, clothes like you know What i'm, Saying like you, know we just had a cruise around.
Speaker 39: Neighborhood he's, like, bro you know we've been having a sting operation on this project for the last four.
Speaker 5: Months i'm, Like i'm.
Speaker 39: So Then i'm like then he's, like y'all shouldn't be out. Here y'all shouldn't be out. Here so Now i'm looking through the police police, uh And i'm in the back. Seat i'm looking through the police. Window so they Pulled kindli out the car, first but they separate, us AND i know what pocket he put the dining bags, In And i'm, like, like, bro, like please don't go in the pocket right first team they. Did so they had some mean ass. Cameras, MAN i don't know where where the hell they got this camera. At the first place they checked was inside his sweatsuit.
Speaker 26: Pocket he going to sweat suit, pocket, boom pulls it.
Speaker 39: OUT i don't see what was being said BECAUSE i just see a whole lot of hands Because i'm in.
Speaker 26: There they put him in the, car they pulled me.
Speaker 5: Out they was, like what the hell you got in your?
Speaker 26: Pocket i'm, like, BRO i ain't got.
Speaker 39: Nothing they pat me down whatever whatever they, checked they checked the, car, whatever, whatever and then they.
Speaker 26: Take him right to the police. Station So i'm, like, yo, like what's going?
Speaker 5: On you know?
Speaker 39: WHAT i mean Cause i'm Macadumb i'm, like, yo what's going?
Speaker 5: On he was, like oh, man he had marijuana on. Him he's going to. Jail So i'm, like, well, well like, yo like like what about? Me they was, like, oh, well well you, off like but he's going to. Jail And i'm, like, bro like like where we just won a national, championship.
Speaker 26: Like like, y'all y'all can't let us?
Speaker 39: Off like and he like he like hell, nah like in a POLICE i, mean everybody in the neighborhood out, like, yo let them kids.
Speaker 8: Go let them kids.
Speaker 39: Go so you, Know i'm an hour from, campus, man And i'm, like, yo all, right, man can you just give me the keys SO i can drive back to the to the. Campus they, like hell, now but we can give you a ride to the police. STATION i, said you know, What i'll walk back to campus, Man AND i. WALKED i walked out a mile when somebody came and getting picked. Up you know this before the cell phone here, Somebody, yeah ride back to. Campus so that was just a crazy situation Because coline school his sophomore. Year that was the same year THAT i, left you know What i'm. Saying but he was going to leave that, year but he ended up coming back for.
Speaker 1: Junior your senior year begins the journey of you winning. Hardware your senior, year you guys go, undefeated you win a state champion, chip and then you head on To. Yukon who were some of the other schools you possibly thought about.
Speaker 40: Joining, YEAH i Visited, Stamford, vanderbilt and then Like duke And Notre dame or like the kind of like the fourth and.
Speaker 21: FIFTH i didn't even visit. Though it was Really yukon from the, start like that was?
Speaker 22: It?
Speaker 21: Yeah the other ones kind of crept, in you, know because like they wind and dine, you but it was A.
Speaker 26: Yukon what was?
Speaker 1: IT i mean obviously at the long line of great men and women. There what did it? Mean the first time you actually got to put that? Uniform? Mom it was.
Speaker 21: Crazy because they still do really well in.
Speaker 40: Attendance but WHEN i was in, school it was Like gamble was ten thousand so and we sold that out and then we would play in the arena In hartford and that's like sixteen thousand sold that. Out and whether we were playing like our art rival or we were playing LIKE i don't, know SOME d two team in like a preseason.
Speaker 21: Game, yeah it didn't.
Speaker 40: Matter so to, me that was like the fans that was the crazy. Part so you put the uniform, on you run out to all these.
Speaker 21: People that was. Wild that Was that was the wildest.
Speaker 8: Part do you think Your yo Yu contein could be SOME wnba?
Speaker 26: TEAM i mean, yeah.
Speaker 21: Because it's like five wa like top five picks.
Speaker 5: For.
Speaker 21: Real my senior year, Loaded, yeah we were.
Speaker 1: Loaded Were so you had a little setback your freshman year tearing your Acl what was that like for the first time basketball tea being taken away due to.
Speaker 26: Injury, yeah it was, terrible.
Speaker 21: ALTHOUGH i also so like talking about the bubble and needing a.
Speaker 40: BREAK i figured out quickly even my freshman, year LIKE i love, basketball but LIKE i can balance, it you.
Speaker 26: Know so it was tough that it was.
Speaker 40: Taken away BECAUSE i didn't have a. CHANCE i hadn't proven myself, yet LIKE i, was you, know like there was no nothing to back it. Up you get hurt now or like later in your, career people kind of know who you are and know what you can. Do it's, like, okay she'll be. Fine but this was LIKE i hadn't done, Anything so that was probably the hardest, part but it's probably the thing that like shaped me, now like going through, that having to prove myself kind of overcome. Something you, Know i'm back in nineteen ninety, eight tearing your acl was like a death. Wish now it's, like oh.
Speaker 21: Yeah, Fine but back, then, yeah back then.
Speaker 1: It was, scary. Scary so did you get one of those big old, scars like from your shin to the top of your they have those Scary franken STYLE i, Remember BUT i had toe surgery and it was supposed TO i thought it was a skull. Open there's like a scar on my toe like the size of my. Foot i'm, like what the fuck was this? Like and that was in nineteen ninety, eight like, surgery medical, that you, know the medical stide was much different back. Then so you were you were able to establish you, know winning two championships there playing with The diana And Swing. Cash what was it like being able to win with your?
Speaker 26: Friends that was the best part we.
Speaker 40: Had we had a really it was like a it was a close, group like my class is super tight group chats still popping, now but then even so And d's class was two years younger and they we had five in my, class well ended up being four at the, end but and they had. Five so it was like these two like like in, numbers you know WHAT i, mean these two groups and they kind of ride or. Died but when we came, together we still had so much. Fun so it's, like as like you guys can it's like the memories aren't the. Winning it's nice that you, win but it's like all the other stuff so to do, that and, REALLY i mean you mentioned two people FOR d And, Swin it's Like i've literally gone through everything with, them starting in College.
Speaker 21: Swin actually we played together.
Speaker 1: In the W.
Speaker 21: Nba me AND d played Me Dan swin with the national, team then me AND d went To.
Speaker 40: Russia it's just like our careers are so, intertwined and it's they're like sisters for.
Speaker 21: Sure so it's it's always amazing doing and winning with your.
Speaker 1: Family that's what's up played for legendary Coach Gina, ariyama who once said you were the best point guard in the. World how did this is the two? Part how did that make you? Feel and then what is some of the best advice he gave you during your time?
Speaker 21: There he definitely didn't say that shits in my.
Speaker 26: Face gino is such a g MAN i.
Speaker 1: LOVE i never met, HIM i just SAW i could just feel his energy from THE. Tv i've always fucked with him even THOUGH i never met.
Speaker 21: Him he shoots it, straight that's for.
Speaker 40: Sure, no it's for him to say, that Like i'm, joking but he gives you compliments to your, face but not.
Speaker 21: When you're in, college not even shortly.
Speaker 40: Thereafter but to have him say, that to know who he's, coached who he's been, around it's obviously an amazing.
Speaker 21: COMPLIMENT i think the thing he taught me that to this DAY i take with me is it's.
Speaker 40: Like a classic line of his basketball is not a game of how, to it's a game of when, to and THAT i think.
Speaker 21: Is like true for all, players but especially for me at the point guard. Spot Like i'm kind of you, Know i'm not out. There i'm not gonna dazzle you with my. Athleticism i'm not going to rely on those, things SO i have to be.
Speaker 5: Really it really is about When i'm.
Speaker 40: Doing this, stuff not not how, right like everybody can, shoot dribble, pass but it's like when and being really like smart about. It and, calculated and that's.
Speaker 1: Like my.
Speaker 5: What was your recruiting? Process like, school we.
Speaker 41: Started to get on the, map SO i really could have chose ANYWHERE i wanted to. GO i chose you call my junior. Year SO i didn't even. WAIT i was, like what y'all want?
Speaker 21: ME i want you, to, like let's let's do.
Speaker 41: This but it actually wasn't even in the. BEGINNING i was more so leaning Towards maryland because that's where my sister. Lives So i'm, like all, RIGHT i can go TO. Umd they got a good program, there and THEN i just went TO i went to my visit To. Yukon this is kind of. CRAZY i had all the other visits lined. UP i even Put hawaii on there BECAUSE i just wanted, to.
Speaker 1: You, KNOW i want.
Speaker 41: TO i want, to all, right so you already. KNOW i went To yukon and signed with them right after. Kids so all the other trips those were terrible calls to. Make just letting everybody Know West virginia through a fit BECAUSE i didn't take my trip TO. WVU i, knew like WHEN i went, there they didn't roll out the red carpet for. Me you, know everybody else was, like, yeah you're gonna come, Here you're gonna start for. Years i'm, like how many people they telling us?
Speaker 6: Too?
Speaker 33: Though you, know LIKE i JUST i like.
Speaker 41: Transparency so Coach arima was, like, look we already got a point. Guard we know you're. GOOD i don't know if you're gonna, start you, know like he's if y'all know coach R, amma he's the same way for. Recruiting SO i think the players that go, THERE i think it says a lot about the players because you got, People, yeah you got people promising you the. World so people that go To yukon coach are in but just does a move like, That so that that says something about the.
Speaker 26: PLAYERS i, think, yeap what was your college?
Speaker 1: Experience, LIKE i, mean going to a legendary, program having a legendary, coach able to capture one title your senior. Year But i'm sure the experience is something you'll never, forget something you'll never.
Speaker 41: FORGET i, mean, WELL i already went there knowing the point guards that were before. Me so it's LIKE i think that's that.
Speaker 1: That's what push not to cut you? Off who was there when you came.
Speaker 41: In so WHEN i came in it Was Keisha, swanyer so she was she was one year ahead of, me so we. Didn't it was it was almost wide open in a. Sense so that's kind of HOW i was making.
Speaker 1: Mine.
Speaker 41: Yeah but WHEN i say before, ME i meant like a Superb Jennifer, rizzotti just that group of caliber of point. Guards so for, me for, me LIKE i, SAID i welcome that type of, Chang i'm, like, dang it's lit. Here so you have to you have to do something big to make an impact at a school like that And, yukon while everyone knows that we are good at, partying we played. Good we played in basketball. Too BUT i, think but it's like, No AND i say that because a lot of times it's like Stores, connecticut people are like what do you do up there other than? Party BUT i MEAN i think that the players we have a. Sisterhood you see us, now like we're all still, Close like it's not it's not like we're all still, Cool like we're all still. Close we got a group. Chat AND i think that's just the ties that we, Built like we build a real sisterhood. There AND i think that's the culture that they make you have because practices is so. Hard everything is so hard that you got a band, Together like we all got to be mad at coach together because we're not gonna beat him, Otherwise like they make you figure it out. Together so that's the THING i THINK i learned best At yukon just that He coach would do so many different. Things we have practice. Guys there will be like eight practice guys against us are five and we'd have to figure out a way to beat the trap and we'd have to do different. Things so he would always, say LIKE i don't really care what the circumstances give me a. Solution SO i think that's kind of my mentality now moving forward on, everything like all, right whatever the, circumstances there is a, Solution, like, YEAH i gotta find.
Speaker 1: It what was it like playing for him in, particular and maybe some advice that stuck with you early on that that they got you through.
Speaker 41: It there's so, much BUT i would say playing for him early, on people you, know they always say coach has, favorites and people like to label me as one of, those BUT.
Speaker 25: I, WAS i.
Speaker 41: WAS i still THINK i got yelled at. Song playing for him is like no other because everyone else on the other side hates, him and then you see like he's so down for you and he makes people math like he'll say whatever you probably think you're thinking as a, player he, say oh, yeah he's gonna say, it and he's gonna look at you in the face and be like and, like you, know he's gonna he's about that. Life and so playing for him it makes you like, proud like you want to prove, It like if he says something to the media like, listen, y'all you already Know coach said, That so like let's do our. Thing like just the advice that he always just gave us was that no one, Cares like like people think that people care about your. Situation no one, Cares like they don't. Care if we're battling, injuries they don't. Care if we have no. Seniors people never. Care and so once you realize that in all aspects of, life like your boss don't, care what's going on at, home you, know, like no one. Cares and so That's i've always kept that, mentality like people don't care why you're. Late you, late like people don't you know WHAT i, Mean like you just if you keep that mentality that no one cares figure it out and do it. Right that that's kind of what stuff.
Speaker 8: With, yeah what was your.
Speaker 5: First impression of? Life?
Speaker 41: MORE i remember SHE i remember playing pick up with, her And i'm, like she's, Different like you, know you can just or you just see people do stuff just like like what was? That like you know WHAT i mean when and then she does something else and you're, like, oh she's like she's legit and you just KNEW i, mean and She's and there's a lot of players that come out and just real. Talk there's a lot of players that get all kinds of hype and then when you see, them you'd be, like they're, okay you, know like they might be the best in that, class but that might be a weak, class so they're all. Right she had all the. Hype so you come in looking at her in that, lens and she had all the. Game, YEAH i mean as good as. Advertising just some of the stuff she would, do LIKE i would really just be, Like, MAMA i know you. Lying AND i got TO i got to play with her in college and in the, pros and so to see her in, college she already had that just raw natural. Ability she can do, everything but then to see her in the pros and like she had honed it, on like she knew she was a, killer and she was killing every. Night not that she wasn't in, college but you could just, tell you, know she's like one of those generational players that you talk. About you're not going to seem any more like.
Speaker 5: Her did you play With simon?
Speaker 1: Too?
Speaker 41: Oh you KNOW i?
Speaker 35: Did, yeah Our minnesota, TEAM i had a.
Speaker 8: MOB i Met Sylvia.
Speaker 41: Fowls was on that team as.
Speaker 1: Well we.
Speaker 22: Were we.
Speaker 41: Were that's why people THOUGHT i was crazy.
Speaker 1: Deep your senior year thirty nine and oh national champions anything that any doubt ever creeping anyone ever come close to knocking that crown off during that.
Speaker 41: RUN i, mean think about this going To yukon and not winning a. CHAMPIONSHIP i mean every TIME i tell, somebody go to you, con how many you? Want like that's the first question everybody. Asked my junior, YEAR i was sitting in the Gooseg so my senior, YEAR i WAS i would say. SCARED i was terrified to go down as the worst in. History they let us know we would be the worst, Two like the coaching staff would let us. Know like we always went, here you, know like you guys got to do. It SO i remember the. Preseason it started in preseason like WHERE i was turned up LIKE i, WAS i was, crazy Like i'm gonna lie LIKE i was on one BECAUSE i just didn't want to be that one that left without. It and then you get halfway through the, season we haven't lost the, game And i'm, like all, right that's. Dope but once you get towards the end of the season you haven't, won you don't want to be that first loss in the tournament you get bounced. Out SO i would say the whole SEASON i was we were. Tight and WHAT i mean by tight is, like you, know like we got to do everything right because we don't have any more. CHAIR i didn't have any more, chances and so my teammates treated it like they didn't have. Anymore and that was the dopest thing to. Me we had A Tina charles on that team may am more AND i think they wanted it more than me sometimes in the way that they would be offended if people weren't doing things, right because they would be like this is her last, year you, know like they would get onto people using that as the incentive and so that was probably the coolest part about that year is how much everyone wanted it for.
Speaker 1: Me you still were able to have fun, though even though you were okay.
Speaker 41: My senior, Year so let's be.
Speaker 10: Clear Coach, Johnson, man we was Playing villanova and dude had a sign that Said alan iverson the NEXT mj and HAD mj crossed out and HAD oj and it was three, DUDE i mean four dudes in the stands and they had on all orange jump shoots with chains and shackles and all, that And Coach thompson was, like, no if y'all don't get them out of, here if y'all don't get them out of this gym right, now we not, playing and they escorted them out of there and the game went. On that, dude LIKE i remember just being at the free throw line WHEN i WHEN i came To georgetown and everybody just screaming jail, bird jail, bird jail. Bird AND i had to deal with all, that and he was so protective of, me, man you know WHAT i, Mean like even the first night THAT i was on, campus he came up, there they and, Everybody Coach, thompson you, Know i'm doing the ship THAT i don't supposed to.
Speaker 8: Do you know WHAT i, Mean.
Speaker 10: I'm, Smoking you know WHAT i, Mean i'm all back, Then, yeah, yeah, Man i'm smoking. Whatever Coach tom came up there and it was Like Coach thompson looking at.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 10: MAN i, remember just trying to get myself, together went washed my.
Speaker 1: Face you know WHAT i, Mean you can't watch the high off.
Speaker 24: Man, no but he.
Speaker 37: Ain't, no he like you think he.
Speaker 5: Ain't he, knew, bro.
Speaker 8: Come, on you KNOW i came on.
Speaker 10: There he was like you, alright a little man like, YEAH i was trying to get away from him so, fast Like i'm.
Speaker 8: Cool.
Speaker 10: Coach he telling, me why you standing so far back? There come come? Here so now you're telling me he probably. Knew probably this little motherfucker high as hell.
Speaker 1: Man you know WHAT i, Mean like you, said, protected but he.
Speaker 10: Was he was like and he always talked about the fact THAT i never complained about them people throwing me in jail like that when people try to at. HOME i LOVE i Love virginia AND i rep it to the. Fullest but they tried to ruin. Me they didn't want they didn't want me to be what you just described and WHO i am to the. Masses you know WHAT i. Mean they didn't want for me to go to any country in the. World as soon AS i get off the, plane everybody in the airport.
Speaker 8: Know WHO i.
Speaker 10: Am they didn't want. That it was certain people that didn't want. That the the guy that locked me, up that threw me in, jail he, died and me and my baby girl sent his family.
Speaker 5: FLOWERS.
Speaker 10: Mm you ain't do nothing but make me.
Speaker 5: Stronger straight.
Speaker 10: Up that's all you did was made me. STRONG i needed you in my. LIFE i needed. You you was you Was you was monumental in my. Life you was you was an intricate part of my. Life you touched on my next, Question what did you?
Speaker 1: LEARN i, mean that was obviously a highly publicized incident in the bowling alley, that like you, said nearly injured you before you really got. Started what did you learn about yourself and your views on just what kind of threat they saw you?
Speaker 23: As?
Speaker 10: Matt WHAT i learned WAS i knew THAT i was young and immature because of being in. JAIL i wasn't even scared LIKE i wasn't EVEN i would like, now you know WHAT i, mean if IF i was to go to Jail right, NOW i would be terrified Because i'm. Older i'm not immature LIKE i was back. Then back, THEN i was just man's what? Up back, THEN i would do a dumb. Ass first of, ALL i was the worst rapper in the, world you know WHAT i. MEAN i was doing. IT i wouldn't say, that BUT i was doing it because my. Homeboys that was what they wanted to. Do so the opportunity presented itself AND i could help. Them so that's WHY i did, it you know WHAT i. Mean LIKE i learned from. Them didn't learn, well BUT i learned from, them you know WHAT i. Mean but back, Then, MATT i was so, nonchalant and the only thing THAT i was scared of is that my dream of being Who mo molded me to be as an athlete was gonna be. Over like the old head people in my, LIFE i just never wanted to disappoint, them you know WHAT i. Mean you KNOW i had that, fear not Of mo kicking my. Ass he did that a couple of. Times it almost threw me through a windshield, before you know WHAT i, Mean but just not being Who god gave you the talent to be, You, Matt. Barnes, You Steve, jackson you supposed to be What god gave you the talent to end up, being you know WHAT i. Mean and that was my. Fear that was my fear letting, down letting them. Down and then the fact of Like Coach thompson used to tell, me, oh you of this. Motherfucker you eating three times a.
Speaker 5: Day?
Speaker 10: Huh you eating, Breakfast you ain't, lunch you ain't. Dinner but your mom down there and some days she don't even, eat she living down, there and that the.
Speaker 5: Week.
Speaker 10: Uh my homeboys used to tease, me they called it the dods affect ship straight from the sewer because in our, crib we had the, uh we had the crib and we never could be bad for it in our house because the sewer from up under the. House he used to. Do, yeah and it's just, wet like you're walking through the motherfucking crib and it's just you know WHAT i, Mean and it's stinking like a. Motherfucker cut the lights. On roaches running there and god damn where no, water no hot, water you know WHAT i? Mean no, food baking, soda what baking?
Speaker 5: Soda and.
Speaker 10: Warfare cheese and the. Motherfucker and he used to you, Know that's what was his way of getting to. Me, oh you want your mama.
Speaker 6: To stay right by fucking, around that's what you're. Doing, yeah keep keep living like, this. RIGHT i ain't gonna argue with. YOU i ain't gonna cut you, out you know WHAT i. MEAN i ain't GONNA i ain't gonna talk no shit to. You i'm just gonna tell, you this is what you want for your mom and your.
Speaker 10: Sisters. Right AND i could just snap out of The steve m you know WHAT i, mean and go get right back on on on on my.
Speaker 5: Path BUT i don't.
Speaker 10: KNOW I i KNOW i went all over the place from what you aksed.
Speaker 1: Me but, nah we needed. That we want. That what's what we wanna. Learn we spoke on two people obviously want being Here mo and Then John. Thompson it sounds like to me from the outside looking, in with two integral figures in your life and kind of kept you from making all these lefts and rights and kept you going. Straight talk to us a little bit about both. Them obviously we just, lost you, know one of the greatest coaches of all, time rest In. Peach Coach, Thompson BUT i know he was intricral, in you, know keeping you on the right. Path what he used to tell me about all the time is the shit THAT i was just talking to you. About he, SAID i ain't never complain for what they did to. Me he always talked about how he admired me for what they did for me and being that young and not.
Speaker 10: Complain but my whole thing Was god gave me an another, chance so it won't no need to complain BECAUSE i got a. Chance Like i'm recruited by everybody in the whole country and both, sports, everybody and the situation happened with, me and they almost got away with, It, Steve they almost got away with it because if my mom didn't go up there and beg him to save my, life it wouldn't be No Alan, harrison the cultural. Icon did everybody know if he didn't give me a. Chance he gave me a. Chance you remember What John thompson was known As Alonzo, patrick the ken bade the big man Coach.
Speaker 6: Marcus, ALLEN i mean Not Marcus, Allen alan so another big man they had another seven for the last name Was allen from my.
Speaker 5: Hometown well it was.
Speaker 10: It was big, man and and everybody always talked about how he could coach. Guards but, then all of a, sudden when you think Of, georgetown much AS i Love pat much AS i loved Long as so much AS i love To ken, bait, man It's bubba.
Speaker 6: Chump you're, six five or thirteen years, old fellow lovels hoop and Watching patrick?
Speaker 5: Ewing what role Did? Patrick you didn't play on your on basketball FOR.
Speaker 42: I, mean he played an incredible role because at that, time you KNOW ncaa, basketball what's?
Speaker 1: Huge back?
Speaker 42: Then five slam In. GAMA i, MEAN i, mean You, david you Know georgetown back Then? CAROLINA i, mean come, on, man it was. Everything so as a, KID i was tuned in right so and back doing that championship game when they Played, carolina uh and Watching patrick block all those. Shots, MAN i was enamored by. THAT i was, LIKE i want to do, that AND i kind of pattered my game after. Him and you, KNOW i loved the starter jackets and the gear and all that. Stuff growing. UP i was attracted to the joy with everything everything that Represented. GEORGETOWN i was attracted to it and the rest's. History you, Know patrick ended up being somewhat a mentor to. Me AND i remember being in The NIKE abcd camp In, princeton AND i Remember Sean, Kemp Billy, ONES i, mean the whole crop was. THERE i mean it was we were all on display In princeton And Big john h Called patrick. Up patrick drove down From New york and uh he was sitting in the stands With Big. John and AS i was on the floor, stretching getting ready for the, games AND i felt somebody tap me on the shoulder and it was it Was.
Speaker 5: PATRICK i was, like SO i had to put on THE i had to put on the. Show yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 42: Man so, Yeah now we've developed this brotherly type of, relationship you, know between uh, myself him and the kentbe you.
Speaker 5: Know and, Uh Big john instilled a lot in, us a whole lot of us over the.
Speaker 42: Years god rest his soul Because Big john played the center position and he played behind one of the greatest to ever do, it In Bill. Russell So Big john instilled all of, that all of that knowledge in us through throughout his tutelage of. Doing during my years At.
Speaker 6: GEORGIA i got a short story About Big. John we was In Golden state together AND i just came from the team AND i. BEHIND i had a little trouble the two seasons, before BUT i had an interesting story AND i was coming back playing well and. Junk they wanted to do. It jones working for TN t and they was doing through That sunday special On Baron. Davis, well he convinced them to do it on me and tell my. Story had my mom come because it was A Mother's day, game and he did a story on me.
Speaker 5: And my mom For Mother's. Day but he FORCED t AND t to do, That so that shows the.
Speaker 6: Character, yeah and it meant a lot to me BECAUSE i needed at the time BECAUSE i was getting so much bad. Press he wanted to get me some good press On Mother's day with my. Mama so, yeah, yeah and like my mama tell this story to, hus she gets tear outed because she knew WHAT i was going through at the. Time so for me and her to do that on NATIONAL, tv it was. Great SO i was at The Big.
Speaker 42: John, yeah you know when When john walked out of that that game Protesting prop forty. Two that was huge for all young black athletes and it just defined the character of Who Big john was all, about you, know he was about bringing up the next generation man and he, knows he knew that if that was, implemented then that would have kept a lot of young people of color from getting quality education and experience.
Speaker 5: In higher learning and getting an. Opportunity you.
Speaker 42: Know so that kind of speaks to the man that he, was you, know and he taught us, accordingly you, know based on those.
Speaker 5: Things his gym was like his.
Speaker 42: Classroom he received a lot of criticism because he closed his, doors he didn't allow any, media and because he wanted to teach us the way actions without a, distraction without being dissected or. Ridiculed for his teaching tactics they worked for. Us we all turn out, all you, know because of. It you know What i'm, saying it was tough love. Too it was a tough love type of teaching type of. Coaching what we, needed, though.
Speaker 1: Was love behind. Them AND i feel like that's what can't be translated these. Days everything we're saying is coming from a place of, love but it just it's not translated the, same you, know individuals are trying to give it To.
Speaker 5: No, no you're, Right you're definitely right about.
Speaker 1: That and then now.
Speaker 42: Players don't receive it quite like we received it back. Then LIKE i, said you, know the word fragile is used quite a bit because unfortunately it's hard.
Speaker 5: To say the things that need to be said to.
Speaker 42: People it's hard to say those things that need to be said to these, players you, know because they take offense to, it and you know they're fragile from that, perspective you, know when ultimately it's about helping you improve your way of.
Speaker 1: Thinking that's, right that's what we were talking to.
Speaker 5: Prove your way of, thanking you, know so you can be. Successful that's all it's.
Speaker 1: About you LED sc to back to back national titles and we're named. TOURNAMENT i was.
Speaker 34: ONE i was one of many on that.
Speaker 1: Team yeah you, helped thank, You, yes thank. YOU i.
Speaker 34: ASSISTED i love THAT i. Assisted but you.
Speaker 1: Were also NAMED mvp both, times so you did a little bit more than. That what was the environment like back, THEN i, mean obviously the. Press i'm A ucla, guy but always had a lot of respect for WHAT sc has always meant in the sports. World what WAS la like back then for?
Speaker 34: You and this is the one thing that did bother, me you, know forget you SAID la you, know just the. Rivalry what really used to mess with all the, sisters like the female athletes AT. Sc why did all the good looking brothers go TO U s L.
Speaker 1: A i don't, know, REAL.
Speaker 32: I don't, KNOW i don't, KNOW i don't Know, Jack, like that's not just you, KNOW i, mean oh my, god DID i need to hear this?
Speaker 5: Today this is this is why Our.
Speaker 34: Liz was, like come, on but, yeah, yeah but, Anyways i'm just thinking about all the guys that, okay cat me go Somewhere russian.
Speaker 1: Never you're, saying huh what was? THAT i, MEAN i, remember you, know us playing. There we never really looked at. IT i don't think maybe the school or that the students looked at. It LIKE i didn't have an issue with nobody on S. C i actually LOVED sc football because that's back when they Had Reggie bush and all those. Guys, like did you guys look at it as like F U c L. A or was it just more? Fun it?
Speaker 34: Was it Was it was a RIVALRY usc in the, hood, though ain't.
Speaker 24: It?
Speaker 34: Yeah oh back in the. Day, oh back in the. Day it was, like you, know you get your game on like this and then you, know you cross the.
Speaker 8: Street yeah, yeah, YEAH i heard, yeah.
Speaker 5: Making sure you, know in the middle of.
Speaker 1: It it was no.
Speaker 34: Joke you turned down that wrong alley if you want. To and that was another. Thing, yeah we we lived in Real Los.
Speaker 5: Angeles you got up on the, yeah, yeah, Yeah I'm i'm more usc yeah yeah about.
Speaker 34: That but when it came when it came to to basketball And, reggie, YEAH i MEAN i wouldn't wear anything you se l. A BUT i made sure that there was nobody up in the stands that had a thought in their.
Speaker 5: Mouth, yeah, YEAH i love, it do.
Speaker 1: It this is the SAME i, mean the same time you're you're winning, championships The Showtime lakers are winning championships as.
Speaker 5: Well so what we.
Speaker 8: Were.
Speaker 34: Showtime, look our our practices were. Brutal i've Got Cynthia cooper running her. Mouth Tracy, longo nobody, remember well she was my, height white girl that could jump out the, gym and we battled each other throughout high. School you had the McGee, twins and you, know we Had Ronda, windham a point guard from The. Bronx so we had a little bit of. Everything so our, practices coach just basically rolled out the ball was. Great in allowing us to be who we. Are our personalities would step in when we you, know got a little. Twisted but the games were the fun, part practices where we honed, ourselves our skills and everything. Else we had to check our egos at the you, know and that was our, Captain Juliet. Robinson check your ego at the. Door and once we stepped on the, floor it was about.
Speaker 8: Business it.
Speaker 34: Was and then you had the you, know we Had magic and The lakers and you know them coming in occasionally watching us. Play and we were playing at the time at The Sports. Arena so, yeah we were. SHOWTIME i love.
Speaker 1: IT i love. It i'm gonna give you some. NAMES i want you to tell me what you. Think Debora, robins, oh just like a.
Speaker 34: Brother she was A rebounders sister. Right pam McGee did her dirty in the in the championship game because she got in her ear started talking to, her, SAY i can't Believe Kim molky just missed.
Speaker 8: That you were wide.
Speaker 34: Open you had me pinned talking to her throughout the.
Speaker 8: Game, MAN i.
Speaker 34: Can't Believe Kim molky just Sat Janice, lawrence won't you even pass You out's a high loan and you got me pinned behind and then all of a sudden she starts, talking why did you give any the ball? Him now there's A i mean so she, talented but she, yeah she she had some things going on.
Speaker 8: Like, her like her.
Speaker 1: Brother. Uh pam McGee one of my former, Teammates Mom JaVale McGee's, Mom.
Speaker 34: Pam hardest working, block the, block, hustle, rebounder will not be denied on the. Boards physical funny with you, know she would pause to things Sometimes i'm, like are you hearing? Something BUT i now know she was just pausing the.
Speaker 1: Thing you.
Speaker 34: Know, yeah great, Teammate great.
Speaker 1: Teammates Cynthia cooper who.
Speaker 34: We could not SEE i to eye on.
Speaker 8: Anything Shacking. Kobe oh it, Was AND i will say she.
Speaker 5: Was she Was.
Speaker 34: Kobe AND i had some shock in her BECAUSE i HAD i had some shock in Mere. Kobe you can be, you but you ain't gonna tell me how to, do.
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 34: Know AND i WOULD i would sit, There i'm, Like, cooper do you ever shut? Up let me just ADD i just do you ever shut? Up and?
Speaker 8: Older?
Speaker 34: Older and AND i was, look coming out of high, school you're hearing you the end all be. ALL i started drinking my kool laid at a very young. Age so NOW i got this other mouth who wants to go at. Me i've, got you, know And i'm. LOOK i KNEW i was, good BUT i didn't BELIEVE i was.
Speaker 8: Good SO i WAS i was.
Speaker 34: Insecure so you're gonna challenge. ME i ain't.
Speaker 5: Gonna ain't no.
Speaker 34: PUNK i mean live At, riverside BUT i ain't no. Punk so she would come out from watch and she would say That i'm From i'm.
Speaker 1: Like an.
Speaker 5: Taste the, same, yeah.
Speaker 34: The, same want to you, KNOW i mean we were, SITTING i, mean you, know and you know the twins are Like. Suerrel she's From watson that With.
Speaker 8: PAPA i don't, care no no.
Speaker 34: Da but on the, court. Simpotico, yeah. Simpotico BUT i will say one, thing a couple of things About, CYNTHIA a self, made driven Superstar hall Of, famer so well.
Speaker 1: Deserved, last but not, Least kim Moulk oh.
Speaker 34: COACH i used to call her dead Of. South you just dead Of South South, South brilliant basketball, mind TREMENDOUS, iq great floor, general fierce, competitor is the one one of the should have been the starter of The olympic.
Speaker 8: Team hands. Down, really who was the? Starter Lee? Henry? Hmm, Interesting and.
Speaker 34: That Was pat's, Player Pat, summit the late Great Pat. Summits But Kim, maulky hands, down should have been the starter Because i'm telling you when when she would come, in she's, Like, MILLER i just need you to, fly you just. Fly i'll get the ball to. Her she would get that. Ball she already knew where everybody was because she could play the game with her eyes closed and would know what, passed when it hit, it timing and everything. Else barking, this knew your, position your, cut where you should have. BEEN i can't believe you're still out.
Speaker 1: HERE i mean.
Speaker 34: Everything so to watch her and to play against, Her playing against her was a. Pain playing with her a. Joy no surprise at her success as a head.
Speaker 5: Coach is she?
Speaker 1: Misunderstood she kind of gets a bad rap now, swaggy she's doing her.
Speaker 8: Way, Man kim is, Killed, Kim kim.
Speaker 1: Wait kim is never never broke. Character huh my, love that never broke.
Speaker 34: Character.
Speaker 27: Character what you see is what you get if you don't like, it fuck it fresh, Too oh, yeah.
Speaker 34: Oh, yeah she just you, know she's she's the Female.
Speaker 1: Labaraci shequille O'Neill comes TO l S. U what's your first early memories Of?
Speaker 43: Shock gigantic guy like in, shape, confident. Playful oh AND i remember him saying in the dorm one, day this is before contracts even exploded the way they. Did He's i'm gonna be the first guy to make eighty.
Speaker 23: Million he wait made way.
Speaker 8: More but he was. Man he was he was he was.
Speaker 43: Relentless you could see the passion in his. Game he was a people's. Person you know the way he is, now very, playful. Comical BUT i knew that we you, know we had something, special but we just couldn't put it.
Speaker 1: Together, obviously you were highly, touted. Decorated shack was. SHOCKED i Think Stanley roberts gets lost in the. Mix how good Was Stanley?
Speaker 6: Roberts not for me BECAUSE i grew up lived a couple of miles from. There, no they had the original two big fellas in. Him Like stanley did not get. Overshadowed if you WATCHED l S u and if he was from that, area he was just as big As.
Speaker 8: Shaq trust, me he was just as big.
Speaker 1: As shock From california in the. Area that's just the big As. Shack, yeah but in the grand scheme of Things nationwide talked to us About Stanley robinson what his game was.
Speaker 43: Like, stanley by far was way more talented and skillful His. Shack stanley could shoot, it he could shoot.
Speaker 23: His free, throw and he can take you.
Speaker 43: Down and now he didn't have the shock bringing it up home. Corner but outside of, that and Even shack Admitted shack, said, Look stanley dominated.
Speaker 23: Him, uh the only thing Was, stanley. Man and he'll tell you to this.
Speaker 43: Day we're At we're at a convention at l S u some years ago BECAUSE i hardly ever get. Back And stanley was eating in a ball you, know we're basketball. Players was a ball roll.
Speaker 23: By we're gonna grab it and touch. It sam was eating talking ball rolled, by looked at. It he just kept on me like AND i, LOOK i, said this, dude, seriously he.
Speaker 8: Don't want nothing to do with the game of.
Speaker 5: Basketball but that's just.
Speaker 43: Him even when he was playing, man he JUST i had to And i'm NOT i could beat this, dude BUT i had to sometimes piss him.
Speaker 23: Off coach was, like, man.
Speaker 8: Get him in the.
Speaker 23: Scams ain't.
Speaker 1: He's.
Speaker 43: Eating give me the, Ball give me the, ball but he'll go, off but he'll be missed two three.
Speaker 23: Days he just show YOU i can do, this and then he.
Speaker 5: Won't so he didn't have.
Speaker 23: That discipline in that.
Speaker 43: Work AND i remember telling him one Timmer, MAN i, says, STAY i had tears of Mis.
Speaker 23: Man we talked to him BECAUSE i knew, HIM i Said Stanley.
Speaker 44: MAN i, said, man if you just work, hard be. CONSISTENT i, said, man you can write your, ticket you can name your. Price he looks at, me he, Said. Man at the, time my name Is, green Said Chris. MAN i appreciate.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 23: Man he, said, man but he's.
Speaker 8: Angle, listen he's A AND i knew he was telling the.
Speaker 23: TRUTH i seen even man make my eyes water WHEN i think about.
Speaker 8: IT i, said, man this.
Speaker 5: Dude as so much. Man so.
Speaker 1: Uh and the, Documentary shack spoke to a particular performance where you had forty points Against Mississippi state on the, Road confederate flags in the, stands, yelling going. Crazy he said that was the single greatest performance he's ever, seen playing With, kobe playing in the league all these. Years he, said what you did in that game he'll always remember is the greatest single performance taught to us about that game and just the environment when you're coming back home and it seems like your home is against.
Speaker 5: You it ain't no.
Speaker 43: Scene, yeah it would definitely gets as soon AS i walked out and they saw my feet coming out of the tunnel started.
Speaker 5: That was a great.
Speaker 43: GAME i WOULDN'T i would have thought that would be the game that he. Say, HOWEVER i do remember that, game AND i Remember dale got extremely upset because he didn't like going To. Mississippi he didn't like if it was his, preference he wouldn't have he would have flew, in played and, left wouldn't have, bought wouldn't have spent money in the. Hotel he spent money in a. Motel we said the. Motel he wanted to spend the least. Amount but that was appeared in the game With dale was, like you know, what AND i felt kind of. Awkward he, Said, okay y'all don't want to, play come down and shoot it every. Time i'm, like, YEAH i came down AND i was. Playing but if somebody's, OPEN i gotta give it to. Him BUT i THINK i don't know if we won that, game that particular, game but it was a stretch WHEN i JUST i just took control and went. Off And i'm definitely thinking that's what he's referring. To so it's good that he at least remembers.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah can you speak to the importance Of Dale, brown because even in the documentary he was just still so high on you and have so much love for who you were the, man not just a basketball. Player but speak to his importance in your, journey, Man.
Speaker 43: Dale they came to recruit me In, mississippi and one of the, reasons the main REASONS i.
Speaker 23: Went there actually is BECAUSE.
Speaker 1: I know better.
Speaker 43: Now you, KNOW i do believe that athletes should get paid, Right BUT i was a little. SCARY i didn't want anything to mess up my. Career and they just came off OF i think, suspension something Hot williams out OF i forget his name out Of. California but, man they never when he came to everybody else is offering you stuff like you're gonna come and you're gonna start right, away blah blah, Blah and my young, Mind i'm said to, myself we don't even know what tomorrow's gonna. Bring how could you offer me, something somebody else may come in And i'll play. Me AND i just always felt funny about. That but they came in and he, said, listen we got fair. Serving you, know we believe that you can play about believing your. Talent if you show us that this.
Speaker 5: Is who you, are you gonna.
Speaker 43: Play and you, Know i'm kind of like old, school you know WHAT i, mean like, Okay and they was just straight up with, me AND i just. SHOOK i just shook that head AND i, said, Listen i'm coming TO. Lsu BUT i kept a quiet for a while BECAUSE i was told In mississippi you want to Keep mississippi schools BECAUSE i was.
Speaker 23: OUT i wasn't out of high school, yet so.
Speaker 43: They say keep one of them or so on the list because you don't want them to start giving you, problems you. Know so that's WHY i kept The mississippi school on the.
Speaker 1: List BUT i.
Speaker 43: Already knew THAT i wanted to go out as you and so the other thing That clinchton was coach. Cars we talked like thousands of, hours about a thousand. Hours ninety something percent of them had nothing to do with, basketball and so to me that meant a lot like these. People you, know potentially you're gonna you, know they're gonna they're gonna care for.
Speaker 5: Me more than the.
Speaker 23: Game and uh he held true to his. Promise, UH i mean to to his.
Speaker 5: Word AND i got.
Speaker 43: There he saw it and he just, said, hey, MAN i want you to go for broke and uh and he trusted me. Too he knew, That, OKAY i wasn't just gonna be a releegaate with, it you. Know and uh so and he, also, man he gave. Me he was the one that influenced, me that led me to more and so to a slam because he gave me the autobiography because he.
Speaker 5: Read he.
Speaker 43: Read all the, time and he had so many connections whether you know different, people, man whether It's Dick, Gregory pharaoh coh and you name.
Speaker 23: It and he would always hand us material to read and tell us what we.
Speaker 8: Thought you.
Speaker 43: Know BECAUSE i came, OUT i almost didn't make, it, MAN i, failed uh THE A C t the first time and then the second. Time and if it wasn't for a doctor that instilled in this woman to have the classes, PRIVATELY i probably would have been a prop forty eight Like. Stanley BUT i was able to pass, it AND i came. In but the whole time AT, Lsu man they put me in a remedia reading. CLASS i could, READ i could, spell you, know but my comprehension skills wasn't, great my critical thinking. Skills so they would ask me questions prior to my being admitted in the, classes.
Speaker 8: Like what does have me to read?
Speaker 43: Something and said what does this? Mean oh, no what does this word? MEAN i don't KNOW i can spell, WORDS i ain't even know what they?
Speaker 23: Meant what does this word?
Speaker 5: MEAN i don't?
Speaker 23: Know what are you getting from the?
Speaker 43: STORY i was just, reading, MAN i was sounding, good AND i felt so humiliated, though and So Dale brown began to give me a little material here and THEN i would read.
Speaker 23: It what do you think about? This what do you think about?
Speaker 43: That and even WHEN i would give, interviews there were times he would, stop, hey, man tell them what you think, right because he saw me pussy footing.
Speaker 1: Around and so he would challenge all the smoke.
Speaker 23: Right then he put me in a summer.
Speaker 43: Job my summer job was with this guy Named Gus, wiles who was an author who had.
Speaker 5: To play his.
Speaker 43: Plays presenter of one of his plays presented On. Broadway So gus would come in and every MORNING i would sit my whole. THING i would come in five to ten minutes every. MORNING i would sit with him and we just, talked and in our conversations, informally he just injects certain ideas in terms of speech and.
Speaker 23: Everything and THEN i sit in my office And i'd read and they.
Speaker 8: Take me to.
Speaker 5: Lunch my whole day was reading and having.
Speaker 43: Conversations and then that next year WHEN i came and it was time to do, INTERVIEWS i was more, well more seasoned THAN i was here. Before and then that started to process me of wanting to know more and read more and to become more vocal and. Confident so, Yeah i'm indebted to him for.
Speaker 1: That college and SIX sec player of The year had to run to the final four for some badass school out there in That west coast with light skinned. Kids uh the. Tournament, yeah talk to us about. COLLEGE i CAN'T i Enjoyed washington BECAUSE i was already in the, league but you was.
Speaker 8: Putting in work in. College, BRO i can't stand, you.
Speaker 5: Motherfuckers.
Speaker 8: MAN i really can't like if you think about, That LIKE i got a.
Speaker 5: Problem With Jordan.
Speaker 6: Farmart you know WHAT i, MEAN i should we were supposed to beat them, boys but they were just so well.
Speaker 8: Coached the well they were so well, coached and that was just a great. EXPERIENCE i THINK i was.
Speaker 39: So caught up in the lights, too because you think four like they, had we was doing all type of, promo you know that your first tastes of the.
Speaker 8: Business, yeah like we're young, kids you, know we.
Speaker 6: DIDN'T i think the lights were so big for, us and you, know we we didn't expect to get, there, Right we know we were, good you know WHAT i, Mean but we did it some crazy stuff in college and we you, know lost to you.
Speaker 1: Guys best part of college for, You god damn LSU ls.
Speaker 8: Shoe they they showed a lot of.
Speaker 5: Love you was at, home but they.
Speaker 8: Were still, through you know WHAT i.
Speaker 27: Mean LIKE i just missed the atmosphere because you, know college was a Different college was like the pros for.
Speaker 8: Me it was like a BABY G league for, me you.
Speaker 2: Know WHAT i.
Speaker 8: MEAN i had a lot of. Fun like you, know we're a football, school so it was like.
Speaker 6: Basketball it was like, okay like a, surprise you, Know so you, KNOW i had some great.
Speaker 5: FUN i had a lot of fun in. COLLEGE i did my.
Speaker 6: Thing people don't understand how crazy those football games. Be like you can hit like the city like rumbles like miles. Away you can hear rumbles on the ground like an earthquake from that. Stadium, Bro, Bro Saturday night And Tiger stadium crazy as a basketball right that made me come to the.
Speaker 8: School yeah, right because.
Speaker 1: WHEN i went on my, visit you, know right around the corner AND i, WENT i seen, that and THEN i seen all the tramp girls in one, sanction and THEN i just seen all the.
Speaker 26: JOINTS i had to.
Speaker 5: Stay you, know it's, crazy you know What i'm.
Speaker 20: Saying unless you had you, know you, know and the prone bangs selling right down the.
Speaker 5: STREET i had to.
Speaker 8: Stay, yeah, yeah, yeah, YEAH i did. It yeah true or?
Speaker 1: False back to basketball right, house and by locked you up in that. Game oh that's.
Speaker 22: CAP i was about to, Say, bro about to, say you know you ain't letting.
Speaker 5: That Ryan hollins And.
Speaker 8: Moote, no there's a double.
Speaker 1: Team they still can't do. Nothing then they can't do nothing with, me, man right, now it's still in his.
Speaker 5: Stay they can't do.
Speaker 1: Nothing you end up playing With Rick patino On Kentucky were there any other colleges you really thought about going? To or is Always Kentucky.
Speaker 45: Midwest, guy so OBVIOUSLY i was. COMING i was right behind That michigan, run so definitely thought about going To. Michigan BUT i did like all of us. Did BUT i had ten home. VISITS i went on five Visits, Michigan, kentucky you N Lv. Illinois SO i took my regular tip five, visits have my ten and home visits and really kind of let the process play itself. Out BUT i just Love kentucky style. Play Mass buran was one of my favorite. Players Mass burn was, there AND i liked it because he was able to know he can handle he could shoot the. Three SO i felt, like, MAN i could fit into that that system right. There and then coach was telling me that mass was coming out that so we're gonna have room for you to come in and be able to play right. Away so that's what really intrigued me to go to go To kentucky because of the style of. Play AND i saw Mass, burn SO i was, like, man he gonna let me do and they't gonna take my game away from.
Speaker 1: Him talk to us About Rick patino and just your Whole kentucky.
Speaker 45: Experience love him the, yeah, man it was unbelievable for. Me WHEN i came, IN i, was you, know like an all of. US i was a young high, head you know WHAT i, mean THOUGHT i knew, everything and he humbled me and taught me how to work hard and put me in a good position to be the best basketball.
Speaker 5: Player BECAUSE i THOUGHT i was a point.
Speaker 8: Guard NO i.
Speaker 45: DID i was a point, GUARD i, mean BUT i THOUGHT i wanted to play the. Point he was, like, Look i'm gonna put you at this point forward stack. RIGHT i played the four me and watch. McCarty so we played you, Know walching not y'all know how wal was was kind of a four, two and we played the, four and he was, Like i'm gonna still let you. Handle i'm gonna let you do all your things and let you shoot the, three but we're gonna have a traditional point guard on the. Floor AND i the only THING i could do was stank, him, man and even take it a step. Further after my rookie, year you guys, know he came To boston and coached me In boston and made The All star, team turned me, loose put me at the. Four WHEN i came into the, PROS i was at the, three AND i MEAN i had a good rookie. Year every team and half made first Team All rookie, team played. Well but he was, like your advantage is.
Speaker 5: At the fool.
Speaker 45: Quickness he was, like, look you gotta go to the. Four he, SAID i know you don't want, to but he, said that's what you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Be was what was your playing weight when you first came in the.
Speaker 5: League came in at two thirty.
Speaker 45: FIVE i think WHEN i went in the, draft got to like two forty five and tapped out with the heat you, know you Know pat right, on that's. Around SO i played at like two fifty but the heat on the on the on the low seven eight percent body sack with past.
Speaker 5: Solid.
Speaker 45: Yeah but In boston WHEN i first came, IN i was like two thirty, five got to like two forty, five played around and wait and just stayed. There stayed in between two fifty, five like no more than two fifty five WHEN i, played BECAUSE i had to guard some, threes you know WHAT i. Mean that year we won a, Championship i'm guarding that, run the whole. Run i'm Going Richard, Jefferson Josh, howard you, know y'all, NIGGAS i can't chase y'all. Around i'm chasing y'all, around. Y'all i'm chasing y'all. Around, man these Screens Richard, Jefferson josh, chawdee boys like this. Moving that's how We but that's if coach loved YOU. D it was like twenty if you want to you want these. MINUTES i ain't budget on YOU. D you know you had a special special love for U. D So i'll moved to the, three whatever it.
Speaker 1: Takes but before we get back to the, league ninety Six National championship loaded TEAM td McCarty.
Speaker 45: Nine, pros nine pro nine. PROS i was just talking to somebody earlier about this. Today just unbelievable. Team the best thing that ever happened to us was that year and people and you guys can understand. Us in college we went on Our european. Trip so we got a chance that year to go on To european. Trip was going to be ranked number, one but that trip gave us idea of what we can really. Be and to be honest with you, MEAN i practice was tougher than our. Games and that's not bragging. Pros but our practice used to be strong because we was fighting for. Minutes, YEAH i, mean you, KNOW i let the team in minutes AND i THINK i only average like twenty seven twenty eight. Minutes but we our. Marching the victory was twenty four to twenty, five you know WHAT i. Mean so we blew out a lot of, teams so we didn't get a chance to finish a lot of.
Speaker 5: Games BUT i love that. Team we're still together. Today.
Speaker 45: Man we got a group chat that we all stay, on you, know wishing each other happy, birthday, holidays. Everything, man we stay in really good, contact really special group and that we still all friends too to this.
Speaker 5: Day SO i loved that about that.
Speaker 1: Group did y'all have like AN a team and A b?
Speaker 5: Team, like let me tell you what's.
Speaker 45: Funny we didn't have AN amb, team but you know what he did start that, Year he started A jv.
Speaker 6: Team so let me tell you Why i'm asking you. THAT i know why you asked, me because we bust they ass WHEN i was their old. Kid, YEP i was a senior high school and they brought up seated because.
Speaker 5: Y'all didn't play. Y'all y'all was THE a team to? Me, yeah, no, no, no this is what.
Speaker 45: Happened Nazi, Muhammad, Yes Nazi muhammad came in and signed WITH. Us nazi people don't. Notice naves was like three fifty three sixty when he came into, college lost one hundred.
Speaker 8: Pounds coach he used to be on him every.
Speaker 45: Day, man he had to work out twice a day plus, practice get all his way. Off but he created A jv team for nas really so That nis had his own. Schedule so he had him and Like Wayne, Turner wayne played a couple of. Games but stack don't get you. Busted it wasn't. Y'all y'all wasn't. There there was some managers on the. Team it was like we.
Speaker 1: Was we was in high.
Speaker 5: SCHOOL i know that everybody's in. College that's, true that's you know What i'm.
Speaker 8: Saying so in my, mind oh, yeah it's going.
Speaker 5: Down we bust that.
Speaker 8: Ass but but at the same, time you, Know i'm gonna keep it.
Speaker 5: Funking we, knew y'all wasn't, there you know What i'm.
Speaker 8: Saying we knew all the best players and starters wasn't. There but that still was a game for us to get.
Speaker 5: Up that was doff for ours so he could be out of.
Speaker 6: Play that's, crazy huh right true facts you, Right okay was a regularigh school, Either that's.
Speaker 45: True Ron, Mercy, YEAH i heard, stories but Now i'm saying that. That but that team was. CREATING i never knew. That nobody know. That that was created to get him in. Shape, yeah get him in, shape and to give him some playing, time you, KNOW i, MEAN i think it was another player on the. TEAM i can't think of start that. Year ye want, Year we wanted t D Tony, Delk walter, McCarty, Myself Derek, Anderson derek that.
Speaker 8: Was WHAT i was thinking.
Speaker 45: About And Mark pope with none of them in The Screenwach Mark, Pope Mark pope and Sometimes pope won That Jeff, shepherd you know we got? Ship is that his the sons That, kentucky that's his.
Speaker 1: Son that's that's his. Son jumped back to, college, man because you had a motherfucking legendary, career legendary, teammates legendary. Coach tell me what that experience. Is Because jack went straight to the. League BUT i went to U.
Speaker 5: C L.
Speaker 1: A and it was the best time of my dumb dumb you want to.
Speaker 5: You never keep riding with. YOU i can't fant, that damn, Tests.
Speaker 8: Bro.
Speaker 26: You ain't telling me. NOTHING i don't.
Speaker 46: KNOW i know a lot of people that go over seas for that, day, right but that one THING i wouldn't, say, Though, jackie you ever had the, Opportunity, bro that would have been your best time.
Speaker 26: Ever Man like for, ME i KNEW i was going.
Speaker 46: For eight, months you know WHAT i. Mean but Like i'm, like, Yo i'm here to win a. CHAMPIONSHIP i don't win it, cool But i'm gonna have this most fun never and to being able to go to, class to get up and grind every, day man like we. Had, bro WHEN i tell you coach won the crazy coach at like two, WEEKS i see. YOU i THINK i picked the wrong. SCHOOL i want to. TRANSFER i call my. Mom she was, like she was, like, boy you stink like. This every morning we had to be on a suicide. Line we had twenty suicides in twenty minutes at six am.
Speaker 26: Every day with summer.
Speaker 46: School so like our first ten suicides is like the basic one free throw. Line then then the last team was baseline baseline other free throw line like And i'm.
Speaker 26: Like, yo DID i like this is not?
Speaker 46: Basketball yeah type. Thing SO i tell you one of the funnyest stories is we run a. Suicide we got like four left and like the guards had to, finish like twenty eight bigs had to finish like thirty.
Speaker 26: Five the markets feet caught on, fire like stopped, running like he, really he's mean. Suicide he mean.
Speaker 46: Suicide he run to the silence AND i, Quit, MAN i, quit like my feet.
Speaker 26: BURN i ain't doing it no.
Speaker 46: More Coach, kyle he was one to be All, billies so he was, like you know what if he would have finished the, SUICIDE i don't give you.
Speaker 26: All tomorrow, off knowing he wasn't gonna give us, off just trying to use.
Speaker 46: It so we got suicide this. Morning, man the market is sitting at half. Court he ain't got a. Run you know the reason why we gotta run to. That he's sitting at half, court no. Running we all look at him, like, yo we gotta jump him after this because, like no, way we gotta run. Suicide he ain't got a. Run but we don't want about beating the markets up back, then no. Way but, yeah Like jack that that.
Speaker 5: School.
Speaker 46: Man it was the most fun, ever, man just being able to prepare every, week having maybe two or three, games and the.
Speaker 26: Most fun with me was going on the, Road like you don't get.
Speaker 46: That you don't get that atmosphere and that that coach they brought well talking trash and it's just you and your your fourteen guys and you're going out there to go to batle and go to war and it's like you gotta win and survive out. Here ain't nobody on your, side and you, Know kentucky fans, trays but it feels like it still didn't feel like a home game because the way they were.
Speaker 26: Treating but it was. Dope. Man you couldn't ask for nothing. Better and like, everyone for me.
Speaker 46: Being number one, PICK i wanted to go back to school just when The National championship just to get that atmosphere and that like fun and high sighting that.
Speaker 1: Was tell me about what that team was like because you played with a lot OF nba players in. College your team was rock star, status you. KNOW i mean that's what social media just started hitting like y'all was the ship you lived, Buggies like what was? That?
Speaker 46: Like it was so man, like we stayed in The Wildcat, lodge and like we walked like outside our building where we.
Speaker 26: Stayed in the practice Was Wildcat.
Speaker 46: Live it's like where the players, stay but we got to let like ten regular students, states so the like you get extra. Benefits it's like where we, stayed like have an, apartment so we had like a game room and all in. There but like from here to like ten, steps it's like where we practiced, at but it would be like sixty seventy cars and people even auto grads every day.
Speaker 26: And we couldn't get away from.
Speaker 46: Them so it was, like, yo we can't even want to, class BUT i so like we started like using a golf cart go to.
Speaker 26: Class football team got. Mad they told her we couldn't.
Speaker 5: Use it no, more so we had to.
Speaker 26: Walk it's like it was so cold walking backwards the.
Speaker 46: Class but what was so fun about that year was you, know nobody like the returning players that, came Like Patrick pattinson And Ramon harris And Darris.
Speaker 26: Miller none of these gotten never played For.
Speaker 46: Cols so like the freshman's in there in the upper, classmen it's all something new for all of. Us so like they didn't know what Coach kyle was looking. For we didn't know what Coach kyle's looking, for so we all had to bond and come. Together but we did everything.
Speaker 26: Together.
Speaker 46: Bro we went bowling, together out to eat, together like we treated like you do as a league team that has great commoderie and one of those good teams because they hang out.
Speaker 26: Together it was a league.
Speaker 5: Team just about to say.
Speaker 46: Like we had all the other guys that've kind of, like you, know like if you got like, Me pat the markets he bled, like we, know were about to. Go but all the other guys, like, man they ain't gonna hang with. Us they don't really walk with. Us but we're, like, nah, bro we all the brothers all like we go on the water fight every. Night if one guy get, hurt the fift team guy gonna hang with. Him so they have like the guy they didn't think they was a part of our crew all to get. Together that's why our team was so fun and having so much and we were just doing whatever man like we. Could nothing was wrong for us to do in college at the. Time we walked in the corner stores, like oh, man that them guys, again.
Speaker 1: Right we're, here that's us college college was the outside of having children and being blessed to play in the, League like college was the funnest time of my. Life, man you in L.
Speaker 8: A you AT u S, la SO i know you was having a.
Speaker 1: Blast, yeah but, SEE i THINK i think different Because la IS la and it's so big and there's so much other shit to, do you know WHAT i. Mean so it's not you went to where motherfucking religious. RELIGION i remember the best. Part obviously going there was. Dope but my freshman year in ninety eight was THE nba, lockout so we had everybody at our. Game So i'm tripping coming from Like, Sacramento, like. Motherfucker we Got shaq And kobe at our. Game we got movie stars like and we Got snoop coming to our, game And i'm, like, damn this is WHAT ucla is. About, like this ship was a, trip but it was because there was THE nba, lockout so we had hell OF nba players at our game front and, center And i'm just, Like, yo this ship can't be. Real like it was just like that Real Li lah laying type. Ship and that's WHAT i just fell in love. With this, ship, Bro that ship was a. Blast that was my plan to go TO.
Speaker 32: I had we had the number of recruiting class that year At, arizona, Me Mike, bibbie And Eugenie. Kinson we had the number class.
Speaker 26: Year, okay, yeah y'all was. Loaded, YEAH i remember that class.
Speaker 32: Yea and we already Had Michael, Dickinson Miles. Simon we had all them guys. Already so we was going there and they end up winning national. Championship so it was supposed to work out my. ASS i couldn't stay. Out the club test was at. Eight i'm leaving the club at five. Thirty that that wasn't gonna.
Speaker 26: WORK i ain't gonna.
Speaker 25: Lie.
Speaker 26: Man first TIME i take that, test, MAN i fell.
Speaker 46: ASLEEP i was, like, MAN i don't need they come.
Speaker 5: Back all.
Speaker 46: Right i'm gonna tell you what day you're gonna be figuring something. ELSE i, said all, right, NOW i gotta lock it. Up brought me and snacked the second. Time first, time ain't bring no, Snack no.
Speaker 26: CAUL i got. This, YEAH i mean feeling names, wrong doing all. That you better get this. Right are you gonna be hurting.
Speaker 1: You as the head. Coach former head coach Of Saint pete made a HISTORICAL ncaa run this Past. March before we talk about that, run tell us how that job came.
Speaker 5: About, oh you the.
Speaker 47: Ad that we used to be THE ad At Saint. Peter's he worked with me At Seaton hall for eight years and we got the job over.
Speaker 5: There he called me.
Speaker 47: Up you, KNOW i trust, him you, KNOW i believe in his. Vision gave my first opportunity and then the rest is kind of.
Speaker 1: History what was that experience, like, obviously you, know coming From Seaton, hall going to a smaller, college but then being able to build them up not only into A cinderella story but just a well disciplined team that played, hard had a lot of.
Speaker 5: Heart what was.
Speaker 1: That talk to us about that process and how that.
Speaker 47: Happened you know it was at first it was, tough, right anytime you go from a high major to a low, Major, right things that you're not used, to you, know far as budget and how you travel and you, know having the strength coach and things like. That SO i had to work through all that. Stuff but at the end of the, day to be honest with, you met which we just got a dude that won the, ball, Right this dude that was, hungry had chip on his shoulder that was. Underrecruited people didn't believe in. THEM i bought them. In you, KNOW i like tough. GUYS i played a certain, way SO i want gods to fit my, personality, Right so WHEN i was going through the process of recruiting, GUYS i wanted guys like, That gods that you, know just hungry and it's got something to prove that wanted to you, know eat your, food you feel. Me and that's kind of the GUYS i bought. In and you, know it was a build up for three years and to be hones, YOU i thought year two we had a good chance of doing something special WITH covid hit and then year, three you, know we kind of went up and. Down then you, know fourth year we kind of payed together and kind of made this run.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, obviously situations with situations like this are always bittersweet when you're working with the lower major program because when you do find when you do get that, success you know you're going to, go you, know up up to the major, league so to. Speak, uh being you built such an amazing energy and identity for, it how hard was it and what did you tell your?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 1: Uh when you decided to take the seat and draw seat and seat the hall head.
Speaker 5: Spot, Well i'll be honest with, you it.
Speaker 1: Was it was.
Speaker 14: Easy right, NOW i say easy in this.
Speaker 47: Point the guys made it easy for. Me RIGHT i went in the locker room and we were in there for three, hours, bro just chopping it, up kicking.
Speaker 8: It and Now god was, like, coach you gotta. Go you, know that's.
Speaker 47: Home you work your butt off of this. Opportunity that's something that we would do if we had the. Opportunity so when they told me, that you, know it, was it made it easy for. Me and then the next two hours we were just in there just reminiscent of the, journey and they making fun of me the WAY i coach and WAY i talk and you know all the other stuff that you know the players love to.
Speaker 1: Do but not it was, easy.
Speaker 8: Man they made it easy for, me For.
Speaker 1: Sureness that's beautiful looking back on the, journey on the, experience what particularly stood out to you about this tournament?
Speaker 8: Run you know?
Speaker 47: What just right for these, guys you, Know and Obviously i'm sitting here and told to you, Guys i'm blessed to be, Here but it wasn't for those, GUYS i went and bebre today talking to you, guys, Right so for, me for, them it was like everything. Right you know you at admit, major you, know you work your butt, off you look at this type of stuff ON tv growing, up and for them guys to be in that spotlight and perform the way they, performed LIKE i just was sitting back taking it in like for, real for, Real Like i'm sitting there like these guys getting a chance to build their brand right, now. Right you, know we got the white kid on my team to doug at it like he's making a killer right, now right with the, name image and likeness because his beard and where he played In america loved. Him and these guys are like now starting to get the everything that the hot majors, get, right all their attention and stuff like.
Speaker 8: That SO i just love their attention for.
Speaker 47: Them and to be, honest you just playing against the best teams and knocking them.
Speaker 1: Off real, talk what was it like to finally sign your name on that dotted, line you, know getting a chance to play, there going, back going down and then coming. Back, now what was it like when you signed your name as the head coach at.
Speaker 47: The right, Right So i'm gonna be you, know this is a real, show so you got to be be, real, right it's real fake stuff, here, Right so you, KNOW i had to make sure they understand that they wasn't gonna hit me with the hometown hero, nonsense, right because you, know when you're going back To Alma, mata it's, like oh you come back. Here so now they did yan to short change. You i'm, like now you're not gonna hit me with the hometown, Hero like we're gonna do. This we're gonna do, this.
Speaker 8: Right it got to make sense for both of, us, man for me to tell you.
Speaker 47: Truth WHEN i looked at, IT i had to make sure it was good because this is, home and with, home you don't want to mess it, up right when you want to go in there and make sure it's the right situation with the right. People AND i trust the people that was here at the time right, now AND i can't mess it. Up it's too important for. Me SO i had to make sure everything was. Right so WHEN i, signed like it was just like a sign of, relief right because it's just so much going, on like that run we made and coming back and everybody's happy but at the same TIME i had to make sure it was right on both ends for me for the, school and financial to keep it going