Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: You know before I start a good ahead company called Black Celebrity Giving, which I'm actually going to revamp, and I would work as you can guess with Black Celebrities worked with a host of celebrities, so I started Futures Foundation, Candy Burusts, so many more and I would help them do their community giving right, so defining their giving blueprint. And what I realized is I was extremely busy around Christmas, Thanksgiving and back to school, like that's when everybody wanted to do something, and then throughout the rest of the year I would kind of just be void of work. And so I started an initiative called Sunday Soul and I started going out and feeding people right here in downtown Atlanta every two weeks that were homeless, and started then taking it to senior homes and just feeding and senior homes, and mind you, I was just taking donations using my own money, coupon and price matching, cooking all the food, going out, feeding five hundred people every two weeks, you know, coming back, cleaning up my kitchen. So this process would take me like forty hours every single every week to do this. And so a video from one of my pop up restaurants that I would host when Vira on Facebook, and I woke up one morning thousands of comments, friend request views and you know, millions of views later. I'm reading through the comments one day and people were saying, Oh, this is so amazing.
Speaker 3: Who donates the food and the reality was like nobody.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, dang, Like it would make a lot more sense if I could get this food donated so that I want to have to cook it and price match and go to five and six different grocery stores. And that's just a simple Google search. You know what happens to extra food at the end of the night from restaurants. I stumbled across food Ways and I'm like, I really, quite honestly got upset because I'm like, dang, like all this food, seventy two billion pounds of food is going to waste. I'm you know, robing Peter to pay Paul, taking fight all our donations here and there, trying to feed you know, hundreds of people, and at the same time, these businesses are throwing away all this food. And I think that's really where that first initial idea kind of came from.
Speaker 4: So the Soul Sundays was an idea at first, and then it moved into sold restaurants sold Sunday restaurant.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know the reason why I did that is because people would sometimes be lined around the block, I mean hours in line for like an hour and a half two hours sometimes to eat, and I always used to let women and children go first, and one time this man, you know, there was a little argument. I noticed kind of at the line. I think he was arguing with somebody. And I went back and I was like, no, sir, you know I've been cooking for three days. I promise you there's more than enough food for everybody. And he really checked me, and he said, you know, I've been waiting in line for almost an hour if I don't eat today, and I don't know when I'm going to eat again, because nobody ever comes out here during the week, so you know, I was out there on Sundays, and I just started thinking, like dang, Like how often do I wait for like an hour and thirty minutes to get food? Like never, right, Like, if it's I can't get a reservation, I'll go to a different restaurant. Like I really rarely would ever wait someplace and stand up an hour and thirty minutes to get a plate. And then I realized I wasn't giving them a place to sit down. You know, I just wasn't doing it right. I was doing it from the heart, but I could do it better. And so then I started running tables and chairs and linens, and I would make these little menus and print it out and let people kind of sit down and dine with dignity. So that restaurant and then if we were on a way, you know, I feel like come back in thirty minutes. And the thing is everything was ready, so the food came out really quickly, but it was a five course meal to start with an appetizer super salad, I'm sorry, soup and salad, then an entree, two side items and desserts.
Speaker 3: And I mean people loved.
Speaker 2: It, like I had to send you guys some pictures and videos. It just was huge, and so the first one I ever did went viral and the.
Speaker 3: Rest was history.
Speaker 4: When I was reading a story, it was like kind of a line because that's kind of what we were doing in the summer with our kids. We would go to my church because we had a homeless outreach and we would feed the homeless every Saturday. And it was like the feeling of giving is just like incredible, and like watching the kids be fulfilled by it made it even better.
Speaker 5: And that thing was like, yo, can we do this again? Can we do this again?
Speaker 4: And when you said that phrase done with dignity, it was like, that's it, because nobody in that room ever expects to be in that.
Speaker 3: Room exactly, you know.
Speaker 2: And one of the things I liked to I used to always do with Sunday Souls is I always had options, you know. And I've had to check my mom friends because they'll say things like, oh, you know, they're homeless. You could feed them anything, and I would be like, no, you know, your homelessness is just something that you're going through, just like hunger is something you're going through. You're not always going to be homeless, You're not always going to be hungry.
Speaker 3: But you could lose your job, you know, businesses could close.
Speaker 2: I mean, look what we're seeing happening right now with coronavirus. And I always would have, you know, a beef option, a pork option, a fish option. And I mean people used to people have religious convictions, they had dietary restrictions, and that level of just giving people dignity, like what would you like? Not just here's a sandwich that I made for you, but like what would you like? And that is why I think. I mean people used to come. I had a family I'll never forget. There was like six kids. They had a house. But they used to have to sell their food stamps to pay their rent and they would get on the Martyr and they knew I would be out there and they would come and get food for the kids and get like extra to go plates. Like that's how busy and how popular it had got that families were starting to come through. I mean maybe like a year or two after that, like two chains ended up getting them a house for the family to live in. So just like that, you know, just to see how it all kind of turned around. But they used to sell their food stamps to pay their rent on the bus with all their kids just to come down because they had options for their kids.
Speaker 5: The should never be a choice between food or bills like that.
Speaker 2: That's crazy and everybody that's what you said. I mean, that's a critical choice that everybody makes going to pay and then what we find as food always goes first because people could say like, oh, I could go without food, or what they do is the parents the adult will go without food.
Speaker 3: And I've had tons of friends.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think Jeezi even was talking about it in an interview, like he used to see his mom like split a cheeseburger between him and I think his sister whoever his other sibling was, And just like if you guys think back to that, Like I don't recall being hungry, but you know, I'm pretty sure my parents, our parents could have been hungry just to see us have I think that happens a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we hear those stories all the time.
Speaker 4: It made me think of the line like most when was it see them said most nice ain't sleep for dinner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's great you think of you know, meal talking about noodles and noodle kids. I mean, that's so many. I have a program right now in Atlanta. If you guys are still here, y'all should come out every weekend. I feed in this community is called Forrest COVID, probably one of the most destitute communities I've ever seen. And you know, I've been doing this work for over a decade. But a lot of the buildings, roofs are off and everything else. And we'll feed the kids, and you know, they will will have excess food for them to take home, and they just always want the noodles. They always want like you know, we try and give them green beans and like mashed potatoes. They don't ever like that. They don't like it because it's just they haven't had it. So like we're out there every single week really trying to push this on them for them to have like healthy food and healthy access, but so many kids go without, and for kids and children of color, which is why it's super important for me to be in this position and trying to do what I'm doing with gooder. You know, people like us have to solve the problems too long.
Speaker 3: You know, people write.
Speaker 2: The statistics, they get all the money, they get all the grants, and they're solving problems that they never experienced before. Whereas I have friends, I have family members that have been hungry. I know, I mean, very few people that don't look like me are going to go into Forest Cove, you know, a Section eight housing community where you know they're drugs, there's crime, and really try and get to those children.
Speaker 3: But that's who gets all the money.
Speaker 2: You know, that's I mean billions and billions of dollars is spending grants. You know, at the start of COVID, Jeff Bezos gave a hundred million dollars to Feed in America. And it's not to say that feeding America, you know, doesn't serve a purpose, but they've been around since the seventies. They've gotten billions and billions of dollars doing the same thing, you know, just get you know, having food bangs, giving food to nonprofits, and it's always just whatever is donated, and then they end up giving people, you know, peanut butter, no jelly, spaghetti noodles, no spaghetti sauce, and people can't make.
Speaker 3: A meal from what it is that they receive.
Speaker 2: And so what I've tried to do with Gooder is actually get people meals or if nothing else, if I'm giving them groceries, everything that they're getting in that grocery bag is gonna make a meal. They're gonna get a taco kit, they're gonna get you know, peanut butter and jelly and bread like the things that they would actually need. And it's it's a hard, you know, curve to get around because unfortunately, I sometimes think people want to pacify hunger rather than solve it. Because if you saw of hunger, then there's no more hundred million dollar donations.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you this, because it was it was interesting as far as like I said, I don't think people realize how much food gets thrown away before you even ask that question. I just want to make that point because it's like in New York, Uh, there's two million rats.
Speaker 5: Yeah you know what we're speaking of, hunk. We'll get into that with.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So here's how that comes about. That's New York City.
Speaker 4: This came about we were at an establishment, well leave their name anonymous, and they were closing their doors and they were like, we're like, yo, y'all closing I know you're going to throw the food away. This is like before we knew that we were going to do this. And he was like, yeah, we're going to throw the food. He was like, yo, we'll just buy some of you right now. And the conversation got brought up like, yo, you know what's happening in the city since the restaurants are closed, Like the mice have nowhere it goes, they're just like doing all that out in the streets.
Speaker 5: They're eating each other. And so I came up with a number that was wrong.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that on tapes that was wrong, and I was like, yeah, city has this many rats.
Speaker 5: So he looked it up and it was two million rats in New York city.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because he said it.
Speaker 3: Actually, I've seen quite a few rats in New York.
Speaker 7: Not expected. It was actually a bet because.
Speaker 3: There's sixteen million people.
Speaker 7: In New York eight so there's eight almost nine million. There's eight nine million.
Speaker 2: So there's almost like for every of the population. Okay, so for every rat, there's like four people.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, so so yeah, it was it was a wager that Troy. Troy told me that there was more rats than people in New York. So I just found that hard to believe. So we googled it and we realized that it was two million, but it's still a lot.
Speaker 7: That's a lot, so I said, have to say, So.
Speaker 5: That's more than the city of Boston.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 7: There's there's two million rats in New York.
Speaker 6: So what's happening is that, you know, there's a lot of restaurants in New York City obviously, so at the end of the night they throw they throw the food in like you know, the trash.
Speaker 7: They just throw them the alley ways and all that.
Speaker 6: So what happened is that it's created a whole ecosystem for rats to eat, Like they know what time the food is going to go, and they eat the food on the streets. But once over hit all the restaurants closed. So now they had videos of rats actually turning to cannibals and it was actually eating each other because there was no food for them to eat and it just got so desperate, like they was starving to death. And some of them actually like they showed like there's a videos online they actually eating each other.
Speaker 3: No, I gotta go watch these tonight. The craziest thing.
Speaker 6: So I say that to say, I mean, you got a whole like you know system that animals are actually something, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I'd rather the food go to an animal, even if it's a rat, right good Er. We take our number one thing is hunger first, right, so our goal is to get anything that's edible and give that to someone that can actually eat it before it ever makes it to landfill.
Speaker 6: You not only did you, you turn this into an actual business and even enlighten me that it's not a nonprofit.
Speaker 7: It's a decorp. All right.
Speaker 6: Can you just explain what a bee corp is for people?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So be court basically means for a profit for good. It's super hard to become a certified to be corporate. Took us over a year and basically it just they check everything so like who are vendors? Are kind of making sure that we're an ethical company. So for me, the reason why I turned this into and I have years of experience in nonprofits. I've started hundreds of nonprofits for some of the top celebrities, so it wasn't hard for me to think I could just turn this into a nonprofit. But why I chose to make it actually a business is because the business is these restaurants whoever, they were already paying a waste management bill, so they were already paying to throw the food away.
Speaker 3: So that was very easy.
Speaker 2: It was a clear distinction for me to understand, I don't caay, listen, they're paying somebody to throw the food away. Then I went and I started looking at the waste industry. It's a trillion trillion dollar industry. And then nobody ever, it never goes away like have us. All of us have been playing, our parents have been paying a trash bill for forever. Every restaurant, every business plays a trash bill. So my idea was we would essentially be a food waste management company. We would focus on the food waste and so we would help businesses come up with better uses for their excess food, and so you know, they didn't have to throw it in landfill, they didn't have to you know, let rats eat it.
Speaker 3: We could help them.
Speaker 2: And so we started with edible food and then we started composting.
Speaker 3: We have hog farms.
Speaker 2: We actually have on worms that we feed food waste to that produces fertilizer that makes the soil better, so as we grow more fruit and vegetables, it's healthier for all of us. And now we have a partnership with Southern Power, we're actually taking food waste and we could turn it into energy.
Speaker 3: We're trying to really get into to that more.
Speaker 2: So the idea is to keep it out of landfill because food waste is the number one is one of the leading causes number three cause of global climate change.
Speaker 4: I was just going to get into that because that's one of the things that you stress is like, this is not just a health issue, this is a social issue. It's economic issuance and environs. So when we wore and this is true when you're talking about how kids like one out of five go to bed hungry, how that affects their learning, and get into that little deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think you know I always have to as a black.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day.
Speaker 5: It's like banking with P and C Bank.
Speaker 4: It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member FDIC erness What's Up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, their seats are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless, whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it's easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 8: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 4: It was the new game day, scratches from the California Lottery players, everything.
Speaker 7: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 8: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 6: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game that's off the coach.
Speaker 8: One more question played than New Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine Ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peastly responsiblely must be eighteen years or older to purchase plate or claim back.
Speaker 3: Women.
Speaker 2: I always have to say for black and brown children, so this is you know, mostly Hispanic even Native American as well, and black children we are like one in three, one and four. So it's it's a lot worse. And so what happens is it's this vicious cycle that never gets broken. And what we think is, you know, when we give children free breakfast and lunch at school, Now.
Speaker 3: Look at this, all these schools are closed, and so think of.
Speaker 2: How many children are like at home or we're at home during the summer, that were really dependent on free breakfast and lunch at school. That happens then we got to think that, you know, there are pearents that are working. And so even when these kids get home, sometimes they don't get a hot and know they have cereal for dinner or you know, they have cereal for all these meals.
Speaker 3: Now, and what ends up.
Speaker 2: Happening is in twenty seven states in the United States, they measured test scores of children in third, fifth, and tenth grade. And you know what they start to decide is if those kids are going to go to prison or not. So it's really a school to prison pipeline. And so they're like, oh, you know, Johnny's not reading well, he's more likely to go to prison, and we're going to get another prison bed for him. Or Susan is you know, not doing well in math. But what they never look at is hunger. Like you know, I always use the Snickers commercial like you're not yourself when you're hungry, and that is so true because so many kids they've never been their true selves and so you know, they are constantly hungry, and so they're always playing ketchup. They get free breakfast in school. Well, they didn't eat dinner last night, so then the breakfast is replacing the dinner. Okay, the lunch comes and replaces the breakfast, and so the kid is hungry. You know, they're sitting in class and they're hungry. They're wondering when their next mill is going to come from. And it's even worse for the older siblings. I know, you said you have children, right, so you know the older kid always is looking out for the younger ones. So now you're twelve and you've got like a five year old and a seven year old little brother, and you're wondering how you're gonna eat, how they're gonna eat, And no teacher could teach through hunger. And so what we have is this vicious cycle of kids not eating, but then people still expecting them to learn and sit in class and be quiet and to be still and just you know, you're not yourself when you're hungry. And that's the biggest thing is like, we've got to get kids food. So our program that I just launched, Neighborhood Eats, we do. We serve lunch on Saturday's, a hot lunch on Saturday, a hot meal to go. Then we give the kids a snack pack that has like three meals and twelve snacks and three drinks in it for Sunday, So even though we're not physically there on Sunday, they get this. It has like last week's it had a chicken biscuit, pop tarts, orange juice, a granola bar, and a gogurt. So that was like their breakfast.
Speaker 5: It sounds like my breakfast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then for lunch they had like a little cheeseburger that they have to microwave chips like cookies, goldfish, apple sauce. And then for dinner, I think it was like you know, like the little Chef boy r D cups of like lasagna, and then it has you know, like carrots and ran stressing, you know, fruit snacks, and then we give them like one piece of candy just because we want them to want the box and they'll really take it for the candy too, And then we give them a drinks so that kids will out and I mean they love those snack packs. We almost have to force them to eat the hot meal first, but that's what they want because it's like stuff that they know. But we are filling this gap for these kids where maybe they would never get a meal on the weekend.
Speaker 4: Those are the socioeconomic factors that most people in education, especially like I wasn't working in the city for years, people forget that part and cernificet all the factors and all the baggage that comes when the kids get to school. But from a social standpoint, I know, you talk about how hunger and the lack of food affects the crime rate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean it's like, you know, one of the things I gave a whole Ted talk on this. You know so many people if you really start. I remember I was watching there was a show on BT and I think it's called Trap Queens, and I was watching the news about these young women that were in jail, and one of them she was saying, like, you guys, you know, you don't know, you know, she was like the way I grew up. She grew up in Tampa, Florida. And she was talking about her and her sisters them going and stealing change out of wishing wells and trying to put this money together just to go and get a burger or whoper from Burger King, like that level of like people doing whatever they got to do to eat. And one of my good friends Don, I'm from LA He's an older guy. I think Don might he might almost be sixty now, but he told me he was like Jazmin. You know, I used to have to snatch people's purses when I was eight in Ohio just to eat, like that level of just like I don't have like desperation. You know, what do people do when there when they're desperate? And that's you know, going back to Benie singu he raft about that, right, you know, pressure bust pipes. People when you're desperation and you want your kids to eat and you want people to have something, it's just like there's no telling what you're gonna do. There's no telling what you're going to do. So it does, you know, so much. So there were so many crimes committed. So many people were sealing food from Walmart that now Walmart has a rule that I think if you steal less than twenty five dollars, they just being you from this door. They don't even call the cops. But there was just so many people sealing meat and just like it was happening so much. You know, you give everybody those charges, it just becomes a lot of charges and just you know, the police are coming out all the time. So that hits a real, real crime. But people get desperate, you know, people a mom has twenty five dollars her name, she's got a kid, and she's got a baby you know what cost twenty five dollars infanmil And so it's like, gosh, can I get my kid infamil? And can I feed my other kid who doesn't drink infanmil? Like it's just so many crimes happen. Matting people being hungry.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you this on the business side, So you talked about BE corp, but can you just explain like what a B corp is for people, because you know, you said, like you said, Basket and Robbins.
Speaker 2: Mintagerry's, Patagonia, Shaye Moisture is one. So really it's just it's it's it's no different than a regular corporation. So you know, you still pay taxes, but it just means that you are certified that your business has ethical principles, so you're not using child labor, You're getting your supplies from the US, like that kind of level of just but it basically means for profit for good.
Speaker 3: So at the end of it, and what it means, what B means is benefit.
Speaker 2: So you're like a public benefit corporation, so that good or we operate for the benefit of public good. So we're not just for ourselves. If we get a customer and we get them to give us our give us their food, you know, we give that food back to the community, so we're benefiting the community in.
Speaker 7: Our But if the tax structure, everything is still tax.
Speaker 2: Structure is still the same, So like and it's in B corps are only recognized. I want to say, like seven states. Delaware is one of them. But Gooder is like a Delaware c corp. And we're a foreign entity in Georgia or we're a sea corp here as well, so we still pay corporate taxes. Okay, but we are recognized as a certificate.
Speaker 7: Are you incorporated in Delaware?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I incorporated in Delaware early on because I know tax benefits and I know I was going to be trying to get investors, and so that's just kind of the best way. Any I think anybody that's in venture capital will tell you to incorporate in Delaware. I mean I almost have heard people that were incorporated in other states and then they went out to raise venture capital and then they got incorporated in Delaware.
Speaker 7: You incorporated in Delaware, you have like a po box out there.
Speaker 3: I don't even have a.
Speaker 2: Bo box out there. Anybody can incorporate in Delaware. Then I'm a foreign entity in Georgia. I have an office out here.
Speaker 6: So it's a for profit business. But how do you make money if the restaurant's like giving you food? Can you explain the business model?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: So we charge a volume based feed for service on our composting or our renux recycling, as well as our surplus food recovery. Remember they're already paying to throw the food away, so they're already they're not paying us, they're paying waste management, they're paying Republic Solid. So we charge them based on how much food or recovering and how often, and we have a sliding scale, so Gooder is very asset. Like we don't own a lot of vehicles. We literally have one vehicle and all of hum we in the nine States now we have one vehicle. But our partners are like Roady, Omniy Logistics, Postmates, so these are our drivers. So depending on how much food is being picked up, that determines the customer's price. We've done a lot of case studies, so like on a low end and pick up for good or it could be fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: On a high end it could be a thousand.
Speaker 7: So you're not targeting restaurants.
Speaker 2: We target restaurants in a lot of locations. So we want to target like this one restaurant on this street. We like to target like an airport with one hundred restaurants. I'm all with thirty restaurants.
Speaker 6: Because I was going to say, like your regular mom and pop, they just throwing food in the garb.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Like like franchises too.
Speaker 2: Like we've been doing some pilots with some pretty large franchises, and the goal is like all of you know, Wendy's for example, says, you know what, We're going to be zero waste. None of our stores are throwing away food. We're going to be committed to our communities across the country. And then now there's this gooder service is available to all Windy's owners and operators.
Speaker 6: Because it's like I used to go to school in Hawaii, and what happens with grocery stores people don't know is that you know, when you have like an expiration date, you got to throw the food away. But even before that expiration date, when the expiration date doesn't always mean the food is like not eatable.
Speaker 3: Usually the sell by day, Yeah.
Speaker 6: It sell by day. But so long story short, they got to get rid of that food. So like where I lived, it was like student housing, like like it was like apartments, but it was like mostly students. So they used to come like every Wednesday and they would just drop off like all of the food that that.
Speaker 3: That was great. They didn't throw it away.
Speaker 6: They didn't throw it away, they gave it to it. So it was like bread, yoga, milk, stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Did you gotta see Tiger king You want to see that? You see it was so it.
Speaker 7: Was I heard about it.
Speaker 5: I watched.
Speaker 3: You're one of the only people so I watched Tiger Kings. But you saw so you'll know.
Speaker 2: There was a There was a one of the episodes they showed like how Walmart was bringing all the food to them and his workers would go through the food first and kind of like pick out the food like that. So much of the food is just like you said, it's like it has to sell by date on it. For example, the power goes out, they throw everything out in the freezer and cool cooler.
Speaker 3: Section, like everything like right away.
Speaker 2: So as soon as even if the power goes out for like twenty minutes, now the food is all that they had to clear the shells and so it's not bad because you know you could it could take you twenty minutes to get home from the grocery store. So for us, we try and get the food fast. This is why we use these logistics partners. So the food gets picked up, say from this Walmart, and we will have a network of nonprofits in any city that were at thousands of nonprofits, and we would match. We built an algorithm that matches the donation with the closest nonprofit and so the food would get delivered really fast. So then if it can get to be frozen. And a lot of times, especially with meat, you go to any grocery store, Public's is notorious for it here in Atlanta, but you go to any grocery store, like around eight o'clock, you'll see like these meat managers just filling up these carts meat that they're gonna throw away. And I get mad at that because you know, you guys, our grandmothers would freeze anything right, freezer like I mean, just freeze something forever. And a lot of times if you look at the meat, they will say sell or freeze by.
Speaker 3: So when they throw it away, it makes no.
Speaker 2: Sense because they could also freeze it and just give it to a non profit the very next day, and then it's like it's perfectly good food, but they throw it away. All the rotisserie chickens, I feel like something like a one point five million rotisserie chickens are wasted a week in America. So you think of every grocery store you go to, they have all those chickens in the deli counter, like whatever is on that hot bar they throw away every night, every grocery store, whatever's on the hot bar. So publics, I'll use them again as an example. Or you know Kroger's, all that stuff, the wings, the fried chicken, whatever they make, all that gets throw away. Eurotistory chickens, all that gets thrown away. And that stuff upsets me because that's like somebody's meal right then and there, So good or needs to be in more places. The liability people always say like, oh, well, if they donated and someone gets sick, you know, could they sue us? In America, there's been a low since nineteen ninety six under President Bill Clinton called the Good Samaritan Act that really protects businesses from liability with donating something in good face, So businesses, that's not even an excuse anymore. And there's actually a lot of policy and stuff that's actually coming in into play in states like New York, in states like California, who you know, the carbon dioxide and all the methane gas that's leading in the environment because of so much food waste is becoming a problem. They are actually making businesses have to find other ways to divert their food waste that it just don't all.
Speaker 5: So the path Act I was going to get into that. The Path Act is that part of that initiative.
Speaker 2: Path Act is new that was under Obamas, that's twenty twelve. And so the Path Act actually gives these businesses in hand incentives for donating the food, so they can write off two times the cost. So if it costs them a dollar, they could write off two dollars if they donate it, so like the businesses could actually be essentially receiving money, and like forty billion dollars a year and tax credits just goes wasted from these businesses. So a lot of it is just educating them on it and then you know, just getting past all like the layers of like legal But other countries are doing it and they're very successful. In Denmark, there's a whole grocery store called Food for All where they get all this food from all these grocery stores and then they just people can pay what they can. So it's illegal to waste food France, businesses could be fined up to I want to say it's like ten thousand euro for each occurrence of wasting food, which is a lot of money. I think ten thousand euro is probably twelve thousand here almost eleven thousand.
Speaker 4: My graduates from my school being forced back drop bad drop might drop back drop drop.
Speaker 1: I mean you just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Hosing conditions apply. Hiring indeed, is all you need