Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We made it to a Thursday.
Speaker 3: It's our one, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show a little later on Broadcasting Royalty. Hello Friends, Jim Nantz will join us on loan from CBS. Phone calls are always welcome. Operator Tyler sitting by each seven to seven three DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot Com, Twitter Handly, DP show whole Question, Play of the Day, stat of the Day, great response on us going to Lambeau. We'll be at the Bar on home Grown Way, located about three blocks from Lambeau. We will be there on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of Draft Week and I want to thank the bar, famous for their wings just flats, for hosting us all three days.
Speaker 2: And it's first.
Speaker 3: Come, first serve as far as getting in to be part of the studio audience on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America. The official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show, and the first hour brought to you by tire rack dot Com. The Way Tire Buying should be the official tire expert of the show. The Easy to Use Tire decision Guide. We'll give you the full lineup of general tires, special offers, free roadhazard protection tire iraq dot com the way tire buying should be well. The Dodgers ever lose. They won last night in well dramatic fashion. It was show Heyo Tawni with a walkoff? Is they go to eight to o tonight Warriors at the Lakers. That's spicy. The Thunder refused to lose. They won eleven in a row. We're a week away from the Masters. Hello friends, So we'll talk to Jim about that a little bit later on. Anthony Davis is back. I don't know for how long. Joellenbeid is done. I don't know for how long. And Jahmorants in another jam. So we've had the gun issue with Joah Morant. He went viral actual guns with him before. Now league officials are looking into Jamaran and he healed after Tuesday's night. A Tuesday Night's game. The talk to involve parties as soon as Wednesday. So I don't know what happened this according to the Mothership, but there is a photo of John Morant and he is gesturing as if he has a gun pointed towards Buddy healed, but he healed reportedly did a similar gesture back to John Morant. We've talked a lot about Ja Morant. We've talked about talented. You get the opportunity, you make a lot of money, you can be the face of a franchise. Your coach just got fired, You're heading into the playoffs, and.
Speaker 2: We're still doing stupid things.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if you know John Morant, whoever, truly understand it. You would think with all the games that he missed, he was suspended, you know, you're publicly ridiculed by the media. He was docked the first twenty five games of the twenty three to twenty four season. He flashed a handgun on a social media live video, suspended eight games in March of twenty twenty three for another handgun on social media at a strip club shotgun Willies of course, like, at some point, you go, you're twenty five. You know, you're not nineteen twenty twenty one, Not that that's an excuse for you to be able to show a gun on social media, but you're twenty five. You've got so much ahead of you, and I know it's just a gesture, but I mean really, isn't there another way to get back at Buddy Healed, like scoring, dunking, maybe have something go viral that has to do with basketball. But he's played in forty six games this season and he's averaging twenty two to twenty three game an assist. I mean, he has the potential to be great. And I remember we brought this up. This was maybe last year, maybe it was the year before. Who would you want long term Zion or Jahn Morant? And I said I want Jahn Morant because I don't have to worry about his health. Well, I don't know if I want either of them when you think about it, because I don't know if Zion loves basketball. He had a like a month or six week pocket where it was like, damn, that's what Zion's supposed to be all about. Now they just shut him down so they can tank for Cooper Flag and then you got Jahn Morant. Just doesn't seem like we talk about John Morant the way like Anthony Edwards. Now Anthony Edwards, you know, gets a little loose as well, but you know we're not pointing guns or you know, giving the a gesture of a gun towards an opponent.
Speaker 2: But John Morant should be like Anthony Edwards.
Speaker 3: He should be, Oh my gosh, the future, so bright, so talented, and here we are talking about him again.
Speaker 2: Maybe he gets suspended. I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you're the commissioner. All I know is the previous commissioner, this would be different. David Stern would be exactly living up to his last name. You would not be getting by with this. Not to say that Adam Silver is a softy or easy but I think he's more of a player's commissioner from the standpoint of, hey, come here, let's talk about this. Maybe you find him, maybe you suspend him, but at some point you go, is this getting through?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 3: You are the home stretch of the season. You probably had a role in your coach getting fired. I mean, how many times do coaches get fired with two weeks to go going into the postseason.
Speaker 2: I think they're a number.
Speaker 3: Five seed, so there's something going on there, and maybe the commissioner comes down on him again, suspends him as well. But the latest news from the NBA, all right, see what's paul question today?
Speaker 5: Well, what if we just stick with the Jamran thing. It is kind of funny that the league is loaded with video of people doing exactly the same thing. It's never been an issue, or it certainly hasn't bubbled up the way that it is now. You can watch just everybody from Lebron James to Joe Kim Noah.
Speaker 2: All did it? You know anyway, that's funny.
Speaker 5: I also think it's funny that when you watch the video, it's Draymond Green who complains about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course it's him, Yes, of course it's him. But you do have a rule now.
Speaker 3: Maybe you didn't have a rule in place before, but now you have it now you'll have to, if you're the commissioner, enforce that that, yes, people have done this before. But the gesture that he does to Buddy healed and vice versa. So I don't know what happened yesterday with getting the parties together to talk about this, other than it looked like, hey, what was said prior to that? It doesn't matter what's said. It doesn't mean you can do a gun gesture like, oh, I understand why you did the gun gesture?
Speaker 5: Yes, I do like too that Buddy hil is doing it right back to Ja Moran or even did it first, whichever it is, but they're sort of clearly doing it towards each other.
Speaker 2: And then Buddy Hildes like, hey, he did that. He did that. He did that. You can't say you can't do that. He did that, Like, Doug, you you just did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Buddy did that. Buddy doesn't have baggage. John Morant does right with this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's I think I do think it's easy to there's a certain amount of like morality being played about this.
Speaker 2: You know that is.
Speaker 3: I don't know, well, I I just I don't have any patients for Jamran doing this. Of all the people who could be doing this, he's the last one can't because we've already seen you do it with a gun, doing something stupid, stupid on social media and then getting suspended and then getting suspended again. Oh man, they wants to play with their guns, all right, fake tough guys.
Speaker 2: Oh I got my gun? Really, what are you gonna do with your gun? Nothing?
Speaker 3: And then Buddy healed, Buddy, he's up. You know your name is Buddy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you a gangster named Buddy? Heck? Who's your buddy? I am? Oh?
Speaker 6: Buddy's rolling up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Buddy coming h Yeah, it's not like Omar coming. It's Buddy, Hey buddy. You know, it's like Buddy and Elf. You know Will Ferrell's character, Hey Buddy and his nemesis Pal.
Speaker 7: There comes.
Speaker 2: Watch out for Pal, not Gasol? Yeah, p A L. Yeah, all right, what else do we have today? Marvin sent in a poll question.
Speaker 5: Thrown with this one out there since for stick with basketball a little bit. But should the Nicks retire Carmelo Anthony's number?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 3: Or no?
Speaker 2: Well he just kind of named the Hall of fame he did.
Speaker 3: I'd have to look at what he accomplished with the Knicks, Marvin, do you have that at your fingertips?
Speaker 7: He was an All star a few times, he got to the conference semi finals. He never got to the conference finals or finals.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many years was he there?
Speaker 7: Checking?
Speaker 2: Okay? Wait, I thought you had this already researched here.
Speaker 7: No, what Paul does?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: I have Carmelo Anthony playing seven years in New York, half a season, then six more. He was an All Star all six of those years. The league, scoring once did not get them to the NBA finals. Can you retire a jersey of a non wired a wire player? That doesn't take you to New Heights.
Speaker 3: I'd have to see who else the Knicks have retired, because I'm going to guess, you know, Willis Reed and Walt Frazier, probably Bill Bradley and Dave de Busher, Earl Monroe, maybe Dick Burnett, Yes, probably EWI yeah, Pat Patrick Eway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right with all those.
Speaker 6: Every one of those and almost everyone except for you ing has a title.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know it gets Yeah, sure, I don't care. Now, like of all the things today.
Speaker 3: Where you go, should Carmelo Jersey be retired and be like, I don't care. I mean, he's in the Hall of Fame. Great, and it's the Basketball Hall of Fame. He won a national title. But Syracuse, I hope they've retired as Jersey, But I still go back to Christian Latner belongs in the Basketball Hall of Fame. I mean, it's embarrassing that he's not in the Basketball Hall of Fame. He's one of the top five college basketball players of all time. If you look at his resume, it's hard to argue. And he played better than average in the NBA. He wasn't great. He made an All Star team first year. I think he averaged seventeen points nine rebound. I mean, it's once again, it's the totality of your career. He should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Back to Carmelo, if they want to retire his jersey, great, build a statue, Like I don't, I don't really care. I you know, if you're a Nick fan, then maybe you go, does he really belong up there with those guys. I'm not a Nick fan, and so it doesn't bother me. You know, does Lebron's jersey get retired by the Lakers? And I don't know if all the Lakers you know, fans would be on board with that, like does He's not really a Laker, Like we kind of got him. He came here at the very end trying to win a title.
Speaker 2: So I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 3: If I guess you do, it's Lebron getting his jersey retired. So it's Cleveland, it'll be Miami, it'll be with the Lakers. I'm guessing yeah, PAULI.
Speaker 6: By the way, Syracuse University, they retire everybody's jersey. They have seventeen retired jersey numbers, including Carmelo, Jerry McNamara, and Hakeem Warwick have retired numbers.
Speaker 2: They won a title, Yeah, a lot more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pearl Pearl Washington, Sirm Douglas, Yes, Todd, Alan Houston, John.
Speaker 8: Starks, Bernard King are among those that have not been retired. So where does Mellow fit in with that? When you're thinking of all time great knicks? Is Mellow really anywhere near the well?
Speaker 2: I would have Bernard King over Carmelo, Anthony Houston.
Speaker 3: Hello, I don't know. I'd have to look at his numbers. He was beloved or beloved?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Is John Starks? Is he going to get his jersey retire? I? No, okay, okay, I'm just he's beloved.
Speaker 7: Oh there's a bunch of guys that are beloved.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I see all those guys in Nick Row with the celebrities and all that. They're there every game. The numbers not get retired.
Speaker 2: Yes to Yeah.
Speaker 8: If we retired a number every time we really liked it, someone was considered beloved, he'd run out of numbers. Someone would have to be like sixty three and fourteen and I would be the whole team.
Speaker 7: Uh, he had four every other numbers taken.
Speaker 2: We really liked that guy.
Speaker 7: Put him up in the rafters. It was really fun. He was cool with the media.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I if you won, too great. I mean it's really about the fan base. But for me on the outside looking in, Bernard King was the baddest man in the NBA for a while as far as scoring, and then he had a knee injury, but he was unstoppable at six six unstoppable and having witnessed those games in person when they'd played the Celtics, when the Celtics were loaded, and man, they feared Bernard King down on the low post. He's scoring on anybody, everybody, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 7: Just like Carmelo Anthony. He's okay. I don't want to fight about this, no act Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I saw him both. Did you see him both? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Waning BeTV.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough, you saw on YouTube. Yeah, I'm fine with it. But if you put Mellow in, put Bernard King in, put them both in, and put their you know, jersey up there in the rafters. How did I get here with that?
Speaker 7: My question?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, that's okay.
Speaker 3: I just get sidetracked and and I forget where I am. It's like, how did I get here? It's like driving someplace and then all of a sudden you turn around and you go, where am I?
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, I'm looking a list of all the retired numbers in the NBA. There's some wacky ones.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll talk about that coming up.
Speaker 3: By the way, if you're Wayne Gretzky, do you now have to be on the road with Alex Ovechkin? He's three away. We'll talk about that, because how's it going to look. I don't want to video tribute where it comes on the jumbo tron where Wano is congratulating Ovechkin and you know, in a prepared speech, but now with three to go, you get a hat trick. Wayne's gonna be putting in some miles.
Speaker 2: It feels like.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that and phone calls will settle on our poll question Jim Nance a little later on Hello friends, We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 9: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls.
Speaker 11: It up.
Speaker 10: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, get some phone calls here a little bit more on Carmelo Anthony getting his jersey retired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm fine with that now.
Speaker 3: He'll be in the rafters with Wald Fraser, Dick Barnett, Dick McGuire, Earl Monroe, Willis Reed, David Busher, Bill Bradley, Patrick Ewing, the former head coach Red Holtzman. Let's see, Ewing and McGuire have had their numbers retired without winning a championship.
Speaker 2: They're the only ones.
Speaker 3: Alan Houston, John Starks, Bernard King have not had their jerseys retire. But Mellow is going to have his jersey retire. This is per a report, all right, So congratulations to Carmelo Anthony. He's going to have his jersey retired, I guess, and he's going into the Basketball Hall of Fame. Now, maybe they make room for Bernard King in the rafters. All right, So what do you do if you're Wayne Gretzky. Ovechkin has seven games to play and he needs three goals to surpass Wayne's all time record. Does Wayne have to hit the road now feels like he has to seven games? Islanders Chicago, Carolina, Columbus, Islanders Pittsburgh. Do you just jump on the charter, the Capitol's charter and sitting next to Ovechkin because you can't do a video tribute. It's like when Mark McGuire was breaking Roger Merris' all time record. And here's another thing. There are certain players that you know. Roger Marris was known for the single season home run record, and here you have Mark McGuire break it. That's that's the one thing. And Roger Merris had passed away. But the family, they were the family of the guy who was the single season home run record. It's like Mark Gastono, he was once the single season sack leader and then all of a sudden, Michael Strahan came along, and of course you had that awkward encounter where McGuire or a Gastana goes and sees Brett Farvan said, you hurt me, you know, basically because he gave up that sack to Michael Strahan basically walked right into Strayhan and said, here, now you get the record. That's what Mark gaston was all about, that one thing, the sack dance, and he had the single season sack record. And that's why you know, now you've lost your identity. Every time he'd sign an autograph, you're Mark Gastono, sack leader. Seeing you know, whatever you want to put the number of sacks. You had what was it, twenty two and a half. Now you lose that identity. Wayne is not losing his identity. In fact, his identity, his greatness has been enhanced by Ovechkin because now there's that reminder of goly.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of goals. Oh my god, look at the assist.
Speaker 3: So Wayne, I think is benefited from Ovechkin passing his you know, all time goal scoring record. And now you're going to be on the road watching and Wayne will handle this, you know, in a gentleman way like he handles everything else.
Speaker 2: He'll be awesome. He's so.
Speaker 3: I know, you know how to describe when you're around him, You'd never know that that's the great one. You'd never know it. And that's the beauty of him that he makes you comfortable.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: It's never there's no diva, there's no nothing. It's just that's Wayne. Oh hey, Wayne. I remember going to South Bend and I went for a Notre Dame game, Notre Dame football game, and Digger Phelps invited me, the longtime Notre Dame head coach. And I walk in the door, I think it's ten thirty in the morning, and I hear and I walk in the kitchen. Gretzky has opened up a beer and he's there to go to the football game, and could not have been just a down there. And I'd met Wayne before, but that's Wayne. I felt bad because Digger Phelps took him into the stands and he's getting autographs and pictures. And I was down on the field because I not that I was going.
Speaker 2: To get bombarded with that, but I thought Wayne.
Speaker 3: And I see Wayne at halftime and he's got his arms up like help me. And then I kept telling him to come down to the sidelines watch the game down there, because you know, unless a player goes out of bounds and says, hey, Wayne, I get a selfie here. But yeah, he spent the whole day signing autographs up there with Digger Phelps. But I'm guessing Wayne is gonna have to travel a little bit. That's when you you know, he leaves the house and he says, you know, his wife says, how long you're packing for? Well, I don't know, seven days, ten days, but you're gonna have to be there. It feels like for you know, these moments. Yeah, Paul, So.
Speaker 6: If Gretzky goes on the road. He would have to go to d C, then in New York, then to CA d C, then to Columbus, then the d C New York. This would be a you know, seven game, thirteen day road trip for Wayne Gretzky to commit to all these games.
Speaker 2: How much does he have to do it? Well, he is the sport.
Speaker 6: And there's a finite window. It's the season's over on the seventeenth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then if he doesn't break the record, then Wayne has to start the season with Alex Ovechkin again.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he he I don't want.
Speaker 3: To say needs to be there. He should be there. I mean, this is a great moment celebrated, but yeah, he absolutely needs to be Oh okay, I thought you were gave me a m I gave you.
Speaker 5: Like he I don't know if he needs he y, Hey he does, Hell, yeah he does.
Speaker 2: He's Wayne Gretzky. It's take two weeks, go see a bunch of games.
Speaker 1: He sees.
Speaker 3: He's seen enough games in his life. I know these ones are special. Hey, he's gonna get the standing Oh, ladies and gentlemen, Wayne Gretzky, Yeah, dude, put him up on the jumbo tron. You know, maybe he takes his wife, says Janet about a little vacation here.
Speaker 2: Where are we going? What country? We're gonna go to d C. We're gonna go to.
Speaker 3: Pittsburgh, the Long Island. Why don't you go, Reno. Yeah, he has to be.
Speaker 8: There as an ambassador of the sport and what he's meant. It's just it's just a bad look for him not to be there. I don't see how you can not be part of that for that one day and support the guy that broke such a huge record in hockey. I just don't see how that could even be an option. I don't and I don't think the average fan would see it as he's taking some kind of victory lap or look at me, or he's doing it for attention. He's doing it, you know, you would hope for the right reasons to support.
Speaker 2: Oxevechk oh Okay, I don't think.
Speaker 8: I don't think people would be like, oh, Gretzky's got to be here, look at me, or remember how great I was?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I don't think that's.
Speaker 3: I didn't see it from that angle that Wayne would be doing it so he could be recognized as the great one.
Speaker 6: He didn't start going to Avetchkins games when he's twenty eight goals away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, look at me, I'm Wayne Gretzky. Yeah, you just you have to go. You passed the baton and I'm fine with that. I'm fine with that. Uh.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, I just heard from a writer named Chris Johnston from The Athletic who covers hockey. Okay, he has the exact details about if Wayne Gretzky is attending or not. What do you guys think Gretzky's doing? Think he's in or out?
Speaker 2: In? In? In?
Speaker 6: Yeah, everyone think he's in. Yeah, totally, he's in when the Great One will be in attendance part of a traveling caravan that will attend every Washington Capital's home and away game. According to Chris Johnston of The Athletic, Gretzky will be joined by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman as well as other league personnel when the Capitals take on Carolina on Wednesday. So, starting last night, Gretzky's been in the building, okay, and he will commit to it till the end of the season.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Fritzie sent me something to maybe clarify what I said about Mellow. He has support for his jersey retirement.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no official decision has been made, but there's been talk ever since he retired a couple of years ago.
Speaker 7: There will talk about that.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of people that would like to see his jersey retired, but there's no official word that that's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So he's going into the Basketball Hall of Fame, but according to sn wise Ian Begley, there is a chance that he will be represented at Madison Square Garden in perpetuity as there is support within the organization to retire his number seven jersey. So no fine decision has been made, but still retire Bernard King's jersey too, when you get around to it. All right, A couple of phone calls in here, David in Ohio, Hi David, what's on your mind?
Speaker 4: Hey Dan?
Speaker 12: Yesterday guys were talking about street names. I've done a lot of reseharts. They're the Todd Fritz Lane in Williams Fort, Pennsylvania, And like Todd's comedy timing.
Speaker 4: It's the dead end.
Speaker 2: Thank you, very nice, thank you, thank you. That's perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're looking at all the street signs in Green Bay outside of lambeau Field, you were talking about some of the retired jerseys around the NBA.
Speaker 2: You have the list of that.
Speaker 3: You said, there's some surprising names that have had their jerseys retired.
Speaker 6: Well, there's some names that you were like him and not about the person, but so the window of time they were there. The Atlanta Hawks retired to Kembe Mutumbo's fifty five jersey. He was there for four seasons, four really good seasons, but four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but who else are the Hawks going to retire?
Speaker 13: Like?
Speaker 2: You have to have a ceremony occasional.
Speaker 6: Right, Dominique Wilkins, Pete Marrivich, Bob Pettit's Lou Hudson.
Speaker 2: That's all they got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean see, sometimes you have to have these moments where you go that guy.
Speaker 6: How about this one? Is this surprising or am I just being a little petty here. The Celtics retired Kevin Garnett's jersey short window, a lot of success, But the Celtics have a lot of jerseys retired. I was a lightly surprised on that one.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, is Rajon Rondo's jersey retired? Paul Pierce's, Ray Allen's.
Speaker 2: Pierce's is Allen's not mm okay Rajon Rondo unfortunately, No.
Speaker 5: Sounds like a lot of politics to me, you know what I mean, some internal situations.
Speaker 2: Dino Raja is his jersey retired? Oh again? Should be. I think he's in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 7: He is, soo Is Blotti, Deva Gloody, Devac Charusis and Malos Marcealonis. How you say his name, Sharuna's marshal Oonna That's what I said. Yeah, yes, Tom, But the Celtics.
Speaker 8: Aren't the team that have to latch onto every great player. I know there's certain teams that are death. But for that one guy, he was very good. But we need to have somebody up in the raft of someone to represent our team. So I think you know you got a certain teams can be a little more careful with who they're gonna immediately pay.
Speaker 2: I'm a little surprised with KG up there. Yes, Marv.
Speaker 7: The Kevin Garnet was the culture changer for that team. As soon as he got there, they became championship contenders.
Speaker 3: Well they won one, okay, I mean okay, you changed the culture. Yes, won a championship by an injury. Middle Minnesota stupidly traded Kevin Garnett to the Celtics, Kevin McHale helping out Danny Ainge.
Speaker 2: But that's what friends are for, yes, Paul.
Speaker 6: The Detroit Pistons names you'd expect like Dennis Rodman, Isaiah Thomas, Bob Lanier, Dave Bing, Vinnie Johnson's numbers retired by the Detroit Pistons, a player who primarily came off the bench.
Speaker 7: But was part of their greatest success.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little surprising, you know, is Rodman retired? Yes? Okay, Yes, Tom, If I.
Speaker 8: Yell anything is possible, will you put up my name and a number up on top of the raftives of the studio?
Speaker 7: Would that be en effort to do that?
Speaker 8: There's like a moment in time where everyone sees that anything is possible moment. Then, So my point is, okay, you want to see a lot of people have won a championship with a team.
Speaker 7: That doesn't necessarily mean no one could wear your number ever again in that city. Back to you.
Speaker 6: Nick Collinson's number is retired by the Oklahoma City Thunder. A nice player, not a superstar, but I think he was og and a fan favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's a surprising one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But once again, if you're with a team of franchise and they don't have much to celebrate, like you, you want to have some of those nights where you welcome somebody back and it's a feel good moment.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with it, and I don't.
Speaker 3: It's really it's about the fan base if they're bothered by it. Like that guy, I think Laker fans would have some would have an issue with Lebron's jeersy being retired.
Speaker 2: Why because he's not a Laker.
Speaker 7: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Kobe's a Laker, Magic's a Laker, Kareem's a Laker, Jerry West is a Laker. Elgend Baylor's a Laker. Shack, you can call him a Laker. Lebron just kind of came in Chamberlain his numbers up there. Will got traded. He got traded.
Speaker 7: Well, that doesn't matter how you get there.
Speaker 2: Well, Kareem got traded.
Speaker 7: I'm not understanding.
Speaker 3: Well Lebron chose to go to the Lakers, like, he's not a homegrown guy.
Speaker 7: Most of those guys, just like you said Kareem Shack, Well they weren't homegrown guys.
Speaker 3: But you're gonna have him up there with Kobe and you know Jerry West and no Jim Baylor, the guys who are homegrown Hall of famers for the Lakers, so you have to be home. And Kareem spent most of his career with the Lakers. I mean, I don't know how many years will spent there, but he was part of one of the greatest teams of all time, the you know, seventy two Lakers once again. Is Gail good Rich's jersey up there?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yes.
Speaker 6: With Lebron, I think if he had gone to the Lakers for three seasons and then bolted for somewhere else, you could say, like, nah, he just did a pit stop. I think he's on year eight. This is year eight, and Shaq had eight years with the Lakers. I once you get past five, you made a commitment to a franchise.
Speaker 2: Kevin Durant getting his jersey retired in Golden State.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's very much like Reggie Jackson with the Yankees. You weren't there for long, but you got memorable moments.
Speaker 3: Man, he could have been back with them. KD makes some bad basketball decisions. You know, I'm thinking about taking my talents to Brooklyn. Hey, you know, I got to get out of Golden State. I'm going to go to Phoenix. Hey, do you want to go back to Golden State?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 3: I don't want to uproot my life here and there you are with the Phoenix Suns. Could have been playing at least in the playoffs with Golden State.
Speaker 2: And I get it. If Draymond's still there, do you want to go back and be around him? Maybe not? And I don't know.
Speaker 3: Your legacy is solidified, is it? I mean, one of the great players of this generation but also kind of known as a vagabond. I mean, we would call this a journeyman. It's weird to call one of the greats of all time kind of a journeyman.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, you can't make more than twenty million dollars a year and be called a journeyman. There has to be type of a financial rule.
Speaker 3: Let me see what do we have here? Guy in Minneapolis, Hi guy, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hi?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 4: First time, long time, five five?
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 4: Know in regards to the tush push, you feel that, like the Eagles, they just do it the best and the other teams they can do it too. Well, what if they adapted by putting a tush pusher on their roster, maybe a four hundred and fifty or a five hundred pounds dude, or a big weightlifter, and that would be his job. So sitting on your bench, you could bring in your little dude to kick a field goal and get your three points, or sitting next to him, you could bring in your big dude to run out and get you the extra four points.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you guy. I hadn't thought of it that way.
Speaker 3: But if you're going to put somebody on your roster and they allow you to do it, and it's within the rules, then sure fine. If they're going to get rid of this, they're working on the language, and all they have to do is say, we're going back to the way it used to be in two thousand and four. We never should have allowed this to begin with, and we did, and now we're going to go back. It's like kind of reinstituting the pitch clock that was always there for Major League Baseball for a long long time. They just never enforced it. And then all of a sudden, we're gonna do a pitch clock. You can't do that. We've had one, we just never enforced it. All right, we'll take a break Play the Day.
Speaker 1: Up Next, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w app Oh My God the Day.
Speaker 3: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 14: Check this out first, Pitsch swinging pie drive pas center.
Speaker 2: Field at the law.
Speaker 14: Goodness so here, Toney Lusio not a swing, He's heading home, and once again the Dodgers walk up winners.
Speaker 3: That's courtesy of AM five seventy LA Sports Dodgers Radio Network. Dodgers are eight to oh this season. The Braves are winless. Want to mess so far, and you can lose six or seven games in a row somewhere during the season, but to start the season and be the last winless team, it just feels like that stays with you a little bit longer than a normal seven game losing streak. And if you're a Braves fan, when do you start worrying? Or are you already worrying? The Dodgers eight to oh, surpassing the nineteen thirty three New York Yankees longest winning streak to start a season by a raining champion. Play of the Day brought to you by Mako cars can to use little TLC. We keep our cars longer, so why don't you invest in bringing them back to life. Mako will help you affordable paint jobs like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Oh better get Maco seat and update the poll results if you can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got up there right now. Should Gretzky traveled to Ovechkins games? Seventy three percent say yes, Yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's great for the sport that you have the biggest name, the greatest player, and he's going to be there to acknowledge this. And I do think that Wayne's legacy has been lifted a little bit because now we've got you go back and you start to examine the numbers, the sheer numbers, the sheer greatness, and he's done this wire to wire. You know, he's but eight years of age and he's scoring eight goals in a game. Hence the nickname Great you know, the great one. And he lived up to that. You know, we talk about Lebron living up to the hype, certain God, Bryce Harper living up to the hype, Serena Williams living up.
Speaker 2: To the hype.
Speaker 3: Tiger Wayne got hyped before anybody did like, I think he might have been eight or nine years of age and might have been given that nickname when he's like nine or ten years of age.
Speaker 2: That's the great one, yes, Pally.
Speaker 6: If Ovechkin breaks the record, according to the Athletic, the league will allow the capitolist players to leave the bench and celebrate. There will also be a formal celebration on the ice that will halt the game. This is the same approach the league took when Gretzky broke Gordy House record in nineteen ninety four. The NHL halted the game for a fifteen minute ceremony to honor Gretzky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm fine with that's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me see Casey in North Carolina. Hi, Casey, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call. Second time, long time. Formerly Casey in Texas, now Casey in North Carolina. Has that of the day? First wanted to introduce possibly the youngest and smallest member of the DP show, our second son ever was born at twenty three weeks five day, currently weighs one pound eight ounces twelve math inches tall, and they nick you and fighting like a champ.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Good luck with that Catay. Yeah, good luck with that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he's he's fighting like hell, so he's doing good.
Speaker 1: That of the day.
Speaker 11: After his win yesterday, Paul Schemes is the only picture to record over one hundred and seventy five strikeouts while posting a sub to era over his first twenty five starts and then will be history.
Speaker 2: Thanks them, Thanks case. Stat of the day, I'm Dad of the day. That best dat of the day.
Speaker 7: Stat of the day here comes that.
Speaker 3: What stat of the day, don't you buy? Panini America. Yeah, you go into the ICU. You see those premies and my oldest daughter was a Premie, but nothing compared to those little babies and the nurses there are miracle workers.
Speaker 2: My goodness. Well, I like.
Speaker 3: You know, you walk out of there and you realize what those women are doing every single day with those premies and they're so so so small, and we you know, we're concerned about our daughter, but you know, it turned out to be fine. But what you think is a Premie is not. But those women amazing work, amazing. Dave in Arkansas, Hi, Dave, good to have you back.
Speaker 13: I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's free agency. Everyone's out trying to find the right player. The salaries are going bus gms or keeping the salary cap going up. Players are running wild with new contracts and there's no one there anywhere seems to know what to do about it, and there's no win to it.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, Dave, what are we talking about?
Speaker 13: And you interrupted the network speech? Howard feel I'm I want you to sign Aaron Rudders and I'm not gonna watch you anymore.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dave. I wasn't sure what's sport now. I know he loves his Steelers, but yeah, I don't have any information on Aaron Rodgers. So you know, people say you're not talking about Aaron Rodgers. I don't have anything to tell you. I don't know if it happens. You know, the latest report is he doesn't want to go there. Okay, then I see him. You know, he's throwing passes to DK Metcalf somewhere. Okay, that he still wants to go to the Vikings. Okay, he's thinking about retiring. Okay, Steelers they may take a quarterback in the draft. Steelers, they're not taking a quarterback in the draft. Like at some point I just have to say, I'm just gonna sit this one out for a little while. When he signs or doesn't sign, then we'll cover it. But I don't I'm not going to make up stuff or just keep regurgitating this.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yes, Tom, the.
Speaker 8: Front officer, Mike and can say all the right things publicly and patience and all that, but you've got to believe behind closed doors.
Speaker 7: That they have to be saying that this is ridiculous with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Wait, we've got to put a deadline on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't just let this go on.
Speaker 7: And told July August, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But you have to let it go on because the answer is Mason Rudolph or you're in a draft a quarterback, So what else are you going to do? You put yourself in this position? Exactly how did they let themselves? They should desperate Justin Fields? In my opinion, I would have kept Justin Fields. I would have had him for one or two more years. Two years, let's say give him the same deal that he got.
Speaker 2: With the Jets. He gets to stay there.
Speaker 3: I just you know, you're waiting for Rogers and everything's on hold. I could see the Giants doing that, or the Jets doing that, other franchises, but not the Steelers. I just can't imagine Mike Tomlin's gone, hey, we're just gonna wait, Yeah, Mike tom And it feels like there would have been a deadline a couple of weeks ago. Here's the problem. Steelers have no leverage. They can't say to Aaron Rodgers, Hey, if you don't come in now, then we're going to sign who Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 2: We're going to trade for him.
Speaker 3: And Kirk Cousins, in my opinion from at least what I've been told, if he's traded, won't be traded until after the draft, because teams are going to see is Cleveland going to draft a quarterback? Probably not, But if they decide then they're not going to bring in Kirk Cousins. Is there another team that might bring in Kirk Cousins? And what do you have to give up to trade for him?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: One hour in the books, two more to go, got the King of Comedy, Fritzy, you got Paulie, You've got Marv, you got seat in yours truly in the back room, guys, Hour two on this Thursday, right after this