Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass. Following the Ravens twenty to nineteen win over the Philadelphia Eagles in the preseason opener. You'll hear from head coach John Harbaugh, wide receivers A Flowers, quarterback Josh Johnson, running back Justice Hill, safety Daryl Worley, linebacker Malik Harrison, and wide receiver Tylan Wallace. First up, let's hear from coach Harbum.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to see everybody. Appreciate everybody being here. Great first start. Great to see the guys, the effort, the intensity, everybody trying to do whatever they could do to play their best out there. And I told them, these are opportunities to learn. You know, you have an opportunity. Every single person. We learn a lot as a team. We will. We watch the tape and every single person can learn something, whether they played or not, about themselves to the course of this game. So now what do we do with it? That's what determines where we go from here. So hopefully we'll make the most of it. I believe in our guys and I believe that they will make the most of it. So but it's a great game, fun game. I thought our defense really stepped up in the second half big time. Two sudden change stops, two turnovers. See those guys make the play. Stiffened up against the run quite a bit, which was great. So and that's ended up being the difference in the game. Then the offense closing it out at the end in the two minute four minute drill, that was really good to see. So great. What question did you have.
Speaker 3: John inclosing out that first half?
Speaker 2: Justin Thompson with the sixty the order.
Speaker 4: I mean, couldn't even hit that point.
Speaker 3: It seemed like he was just straight to humble middle where he hit it.
Speaker 2: He had it perfect, He had it perfect. I mean he just hit it right on the screws and it carried just soon as it came off his foot. I just thought, man, that's going through. You know you could tell and hit straight. But also credit to credit to the offense, you know, credit to everybody from the quarterback receivers. I mean, tread made a couple, you know, great plays there. Josh made some nice throws. Offensive line protected pretty much penalty free, which is big in that situation. So they got they got tucked the field goal range at sixty.
Speaker 3: I guess one of that field goal range and having Tucker kick.
Speaker 5: Was that because he wanted that seats that are a lot of snapping and working with that unit.
Speaker 4: Or was there a.
Speaker 2: Purpose by having Tucker you kicking that field.
Speaker 5: Goal kicking, having Tucker in that for kicking all of this preseason instead of even grabbing a different kicker for something.
Speaker 2: No, we just had to with the roster. We wouldn't be opposed to having another kicker in here, and we may still do that. You know, we've looked at some guys. We got a good list of guys. We might want to take some workload off them. That's something we definitely talked about. We just didn't feel like we had the roster freedom to do it right now.
Speaker 5: John, So I go in a lot more movies update on half.
Speaker 2: No, there's no major injuries. I mean, there's there's little things here and there. I'm not really gonna comment on him too much, but you can know there's nothing major with anybody.
Speaker 3: John, you had talked about how excited you were to see the job lot out there in this kind of situation. How did you feel like he did with the time that he had then.
Speaker 2: I thought he looked good, his physical as could be you know, he had one one one he wants back, you know, on a quarterback scramble. But other than that, I thought he was physical and tough and had a good power rush is going and uh he looked good. I know he was excited to play. That was that was a good thing. These two guys sitting here. I mean, these two guys taking the lead. You know, Darryll going to safety. He told me toward the end, because I'm gonna close this thing out for you, and he did, you know, he made that play. And then Malik was just all over the field throughout the course the game, playing great football. But not just those two guys. They'll talk about it and then they they're the kind of the guys that you saw. But there were a lot of good a lot of good guys out there playing well.
Speaker 3: And what we see a lot of Z Flowers, but a lot of talk about Z Flowers all summer, not.
Speaker 2: So much to talk about how he could create by drawing penalties. What do you see how what is it about him that generates that kind of the forces defenders to penalty? You know, well, I mean I think if you're if you're hard to cover, you know, guys will tend to grab sometimes, you know, so that can be part of it. That's probably the basic premise of the whole thing. I mean, you know, he's hard, he's got great feet and great acceleration. Change the direction and the defensive back. You know, if he's coverage has to match that. It's the same in tackling, you've got to match that as well. So that's what good players do. And I'm excited to see him continue to grow.
Speaker 5: And what did you make Keith mentioned look explosive office land having a couple of good.
Speaker 2: Returns he did, he did, he looked good. I could see the return game. I thought that where he carried the ball was good. He got the ball north and south. Uh most of the time. Did a great job with that. That was good to see. All the backs did a really good job. I mean Melvioyn he was making people miss and even when he didn't have blocking he did well. And and Gush, he had a couple of good strong runs. That that third down run we almost got the first down that was a physical run. So uh, Justice had some good, good runs and at the end, our guy, you know, he did a nice job of closing that thing. Out, you know, and he was physical going down here and I told him, I says, the first down, get down, you know. So he almost got the first down, you know, and it was a great run. So happy with those guys.
Speaker 4: Tyler wallt I touch.
Speaker 6: You just thought about he's got to building over the build pre prictes as well.
Speaker 2: He said, Tiland's had a really good camp. I mean you could see it in the camp, the way he was moving, plays he was making, and then, you know, I was just hopeful. We talked about it before the game. I was just hopefully to get some opportunities because you know he's gonna do well. Same thing with Devin, you know, on that that that faded versus you know, off man half the distance in the red zone, that man covers technique that they use and couldn't have been a better throw and a better route than that player the first touchdown.
Speaker 5: So if you've talked.
Speaker 7: About guys like Thailand and guys like in the lague, and you can talk about how good the camps have it, and now we see it translate to actual games, how did it feel to see those practice plays and those reps translate to an actual game.
Speaker 2: It's national bull I mean, that's what you that's what you wait for. You excited. That's why you're excited for the game, because you want to see it in the game. You know, when guys are tackling people and playing the games. So you know, it's not like we doubted that they were going to play that way, you know, but you see it in real life. It kind of you know, that's that's why we do.
Speaker 4: What we do.
Speaker 3: You're one more, John, How did you think?
Speaker 5: I know it was only too drives, but how did you think Tyler came in and played?
Speaker 2: I thought he played well. Yeah, I thought he played well. You know, he came in there. It was a spark and you know, the timing passing game was good. He was accurate, got the ball out, moved around and made some plays with his legs when he had to. Yeah, I thought he played very well.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks, great.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Next we'll hear from first round wide receiver Zay Flowers.
Speaker 3: Can you describe the feeling of Final will be under the.
Speaker 5: Lines where they havent ba.
Speaker 8: I was excited. I was super excited to the point where I didn't really know what to do.
Speaker 1: So it was fun.
Speaker 8: It was a fun experience. For the first time.
Speaker 3: I went on playing your first in the fifth game.
Speaker 8: This is a little bit faster, a little bit not too much faster, though, like I can handle it. I'll be able to handle it. It was a good experience for the first time though.
Speaker 3: So you you drew the two penalties and and you had a nice block on the first touchdown, driving me. Do you do you sort of take pride in being able to make things happen, even when maybe you're not.
Speaker 9: Catching the ball.
Speaker 8: I take pride in everything. It's football, So I love playing football, So I wanna be I wanna try to be as complete and as in every aspect of the game that I can.
Speaker 3: Did chalk up that false start to the excitement and not knowing what to do?
Speaker 1: Uh nah nah.
Speaker 8: He snapped the ball fast, he called to play. He snapped the ball like two seconds later, So I was kind of surprised. Then it was like it was on me. Me and dude was moving at the same time, but they caught it on me.
Speaker 1: So what did you do three game when you had all that is there? Since said you didn't know what to do? What what did you do? I?
Speaker 8: Actually I kept running around catching the ball, so I ain't cause in college it's like you warm up with the team, you warm up by yourself. So that was my first time trying to like warm myself up and try to get the timing right. Then coach is just telling me, like what we gonna do and when we gonna do it, so I have a better routine next time.
Speaker 10: All right, thanks?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Next up is quarterback Josh Johnson about people.
Speaker 5: Talk about lead blocking because he was the stale on that play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was saying more shielding, you know, just trying to get in his way.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I told Justice, I thought he was a little closer to me, so when he went when he went behind me, I was expecting just to be ahead. But uh, you know, it was a hell of run by him. Really got us going. I was able to set up a touchdown. You know. The running backs, you know, they had a great game, Like.
Speaker 3: Josh, just the playing all long for you to go for the start and didn't play a half.
Speaker 1: It's that when your indication.
Speaker 4: Wants I didn't really have an indication to uh yesterday we talked about it. Uh, but you know, the mindset for in our room is just being ready for everything. You know, we all know we uh backing up Lamar, So, I mean really you don't really try to worry about too much of when you going in. It's about really getting yourself ready for any opportunity because if real situations, when it come up, that's what it's gonna be like, you know, unexpected moments.
Speaker 1: Josha, I think you were part of the very first win of the Ravens Street back in twenty sixteen. What does it mean to be still part of the streaks seven years later?
Speaker 4: It's always great to win in this league. I understand how hard it is, you know, to get a victory. And Uh, one thing I learned at a young age. You know, you cherish victory. Sound They hard to come by in this league, you know. And that's a credit to this you know, College Hoboll and the rest of his organization that this streak has been able to go on for so long. Uh, with so many different guys playing in the preseason, and you know, to go over there and you know, play above the standard. That's he liked to stay and uh, you know, for us as players, we wanted it all. It's always great when you win. It's better to be on a winning team than a.
Speaker 5: Lettle team, Joshua, different tempo in this offense than previous ones in Baltimore.
Speaker 10: I guess, what do you like about it? Kind of what is it?
Speaker 5: How does it suit what.
Speaker 2: This offense does best?
Speaker 4: You know, we have a lot of explosive guys, I would like to say, and this offense is gonna put guys in position to do what they do best. It'll be a different look, you know, than what people have seen the past around here. But uh, when I'm seeing every day on the practice field of what we're doing out there together and where we're headed, you know, I think it's gonna be pretty exciting when it's all put together, you know, and it's a process and we're going through it daily. But I mean with the talent that we got, like guys like him sitting right there, and the other the other room guys in that room, and then the running backs and the tight ends, you know, it's gonna be a pretty It's gonna be a pretty fun year in my eyes.
Speaker 7: Josh We've heard a lot about quarterbacks being able to make more adjustments at the line of scrimmage this year.
Speaker 3: How do you think you've payed with that?
Speaker 1: Tonight?
Speaker 4: It was a pretty clean night for us, you know, the first preseason game. A lot of basic go on defense, not a lot of you know, complicated things going on for us. It was just you know, getting out of the huddle, playing king football. Make sure you know, we execut as clean as possible. We had a couple of misshaps early, but we was able to overcome it and uh, you know, put some points on the board and then when Snoop came in, you know, even right down the field, did the same thing, and then we was able to close out the game. So it ain't always aw ain't always as good and always as bad to feel and tell you the truth, and uh, but for us, you know, we wanted to just start off on the right foot, and I felt like we did that.
Speaker 1: Here's running back Justice Hill for a long point.
Speaker 5: Had really set off that first touchdown.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I should have hit the whole of it was a while before right there, but I got kind of blocked and so I just perverse field and made something happen. But it was fun to just get back out there and run around and have some fun with the guys.
Speaker 1: Think what do you think of Josh B Yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Gotta check the clips see what he's doing out there.
Speaker 6: But I think that guy still got me.
Speaker 10: But that's a meat though opened up a little bit more.
Speaker 7: But man, it's fun being out there with all these guys, man, But Josh oh ahead, Man it's fun.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: So just a lot more eleven personnel tonight, a lot of spread books.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you know you will kind of.
Speaker 5: Get some of the the you know, the preferable box casts that you guys like, is running backs to it to make those plays.
Speaker 7: I mean, at least amount of guys in there the better for I mean running backs. I mean, let's guys, you gotta make miss.
Speaker 4: Or all that.
Speaker 7: But whatever a monk dolls up, man, we're going to execute. And that's all we we practice and all we teach is execution. And so so if we continue to do that, it'll be fun.
Speaker 1: So what do you think?
Speaker 5: What do you think this game says about the depth of the running back round and seem like all the words different guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I feel like we have the best running back room in the in the league, and we all bring a different skill set and whenever we're out there, we can all show that. And so whatever number is called, whoever's number is called. I mean, we all just go out there and execute and make.
Speaker 3: Place has said the offense has a long way to go. He's been very upfront about that. I mean after at this stage, where where would you say you guys are in the can come of the progress?
Speaker 7: I mean you were always working. I mean if we're there right now, I mean I always know what we're working for, and so we just continue to get better every single day, every single practice, and every single game that we have, we just continue to stack and stack and stack. And then by the time we get to the season, get have midway through all the way to the end, we should just really start to click.
Speaker 1: So before right, cool, thank you, Except as safety Darryl Worley, you're.
Speaker 3: Playing older stuff.
Speaker 1: Except it was a long day.
Speaker 10: I was prepared for it though. Mentally, I knew that with the guys that we have down, I know that our depth wasn't as long as it was gonna be, and you know, in an these type of football games, anything could happen. Unfortunately, we had a guy go down who wasn't able to take snaps, so I ended up being in there the whole time, So it didn't matter to me, you know, as long as we got to win, you talked through the.
Speaker 5: Uh the sack that you.
Speaker 10: Oh man, it was a good play, but it should have been a great play, you know, I should have made it the first time. Maybe I'd have been less tired after the play, but uh no, it was a great call by coach knowing, knowing that we needed to put pressure on them and really just started to take the fight to them. In the first half. We started a little slow, so we wanted to get get back to playing the raven way.
Speaker 1: Do you look at yourself more corner safety now and you're dealings, But.
Speaker 10: Actually I'm I'm looking at myself as a full time safety. I haven't taken any snaps this camping at corner at all. But they know and we know as a team, if it comes down to it and they need me to move back outside, it can be done. But I'm happy where I'm at right now, and I'm loving the safety position.
Speaker 3: There's something that you decided you want to pursue or when you've discussed being back, was that the agreement that you.
Speaker 1: Were gonna be saved?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was a mutual decision, you know, just conversations. I had with from from the top to the bottom. Just a conversation, just letting those guys know that I was willing to make the move if we needed it BodyWise, just know that the depth wasn't there, and knowing that intellect I was able to to, you know, make the switch and be able to make those calls and get the defense all on the same page.
Speaker 5: You were seen multiple times celebrating after big plays, both by yourself and by your teammates, just and you talked about how much this meant to you.
Speaker 10: Oh, I mean every time you get a chance to go out there, it means it means the world to me. I mean, I'm going into year eight. Honestly, I felt like Baltimore is is kind of my second win in the NFL. I felt like this is a home for me and I I we have a standard on our defense and I want to be able to set that standard whenever I'm out there and play to that level.
Speaker 6: And did Daryl I notice appreciate a game and you talk about how much it means to you.
Speaker 5: Does it mean more to do it against you know, your home time team.
Speaker 6: Did you grow up the band of them?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 10: Nah, This isn't about Philly. This isn't about anything. I'm from there. But at the end of the day, I Baltimore Raven. We we were built to win and that's what we went out there to do.
Speaker 1: This is linebacker Malik Harrison.
Speaker 4: I like you talking about that first quarter sack that you had, talking a little bit about how.
Speaker 6: It was amazing. You know, I ain't had a sex in s college, so you know that it felt great, you know, called the right play and then you know, I just made it.
Speaker 1: What's indeed to you guys to keep the streak alive?
Speaker 6: Uh, it means a lot. You know, we take pride in really in this uh preseason games, Like you know, we just wanna keep it going. You know, it be the longest longest win in the preseason.
Speaker 3: What make you mention getting sack first time in a long time?
Speaker 6: What is the warts up these preseason games for a guy like.
Speaker 5: You who's played ol race.
Speaker 6: I mean it's I it's very important, you know, just for my teammates and you know, just just being out there just just having fun for us. It's it's it feel it's feel like a real game to me.
Speaker 10: Like you've been around for a while, how much do you talk to rookies or younger players that may not have experienced this about the awards of these games.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned how much the streak means about that in Germany.
Speaker 6: Uh, I talk to him every day, you know, especially on special teams, the guys behind me, you know, and I see something that you know, it's not really a to our standard or you know, just just giving them a little tips so you know what to do and what not to do, and you know what to look for when they're out there.
Speaker 1: Last, but not least, scored a touchdown tonight, wide receiver Tylan Wallace. Yeah, talent, can you just walk us through your touchdown? Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 9: So going into that play, you know, getting the red zone, you know, we got to score.
Speaker 8: We got to score.
Speaker 9: So you know, s out at the monkey for calling a great play, you know, believing in me to be able to make that play and putting snoop where the ball exactly where it's supposed to be. So you know, it's out to all those guys. Man, I couldn't have done without them.
Speaker 1: You've had a really strong training camp all so just what have you what do you attribute it to, What's what's kind of click for you this year, you think, I.
Speaker 9: Mean just going obviously this is year three for me, so you know, going into it, you kind of get a feel for how the game is, how it's played and everything, and I feel like it's just, you know, about time for me to you know, turn it up a little bit, you know, come in and just you know, shock everybody and kind of do what I know I can do.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a lot of talented wide receivers on this It's a really good competition kind of how do you look at it?
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely, man, A bunch of great guys, a bunch of very talented guys in the room. So I look at it as like just coming in every day and just doing your best, you know, showing everybody what you can do, and wherever the where it all lies out at the end, you know where it lies. But just knowing now I'm going in every day and doing everything that I can.
Speaker 8: Has happened vets like that around and the competences have raged your game.
Speaker 9: You think, oh, most de bringing all those guys in and you know, knowing what they're capable of, a bunch of great athletes, a bunch of great guys too. I mean Uh, you know that just obviously anywhere you go, that brings up the competition in the room. So I think that also helps me elevate me makes me want to play even better for sure.
Speaker 3: What do you think about Tyler Hampton came in and those two guys.
Speaker 4: I mean, you made a great catch on the ball.
Speaker 1: But what do you think of college next? Oh? Man?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I love Snoop.
Speaker 9: I always love Snoop Man. He goes in and he attacks un with offense.
Speaker 3: He's in there.
Speaker 9: Man, It's just it's just different when he's in there. So you know, obviously him going out and executing and everything.
Speaker 8: So that was great to have him in there for sure.
Speaker 5: Telling them along with playing a white receiver, making this roster you can to a step up in special teams.
Speaker 9: Just how much have we've so definitely, you know, all aspects of the game. I feel like, I know, especially in my position, I've got to be able to you know, capitalize on offense, special teams everything I do. So I take every every phase of the game that they have me and I want to take it very seriously and take a step further in offense and also special teams as well.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. Thank you for listening to Ravens Press Pass. We will have a lot of coverage coming to you this week as the Ravens square off against the Commanders for two days of joint practices leading up to their next preseason game. If you haven't done so already, make sure you're subscribed, leave rating a review, and if you haven't done so already, check out the Lounge podcast where we have plenty of guests coming on this week and we'll break down everything from the Commander's joint practices. Thanks for listening, we'll be back with you later.