Speaker 1: Are you leaving? I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 2: Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay.
Speaker 1: We want to send you off in style. We wanna welcome you back home.
Speaker 3: Tell us all about it. We scared her?
Speaker 1: Was it fine?
Speaker 2: Malcorn?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need you ride?
Speaker 3: Ride with Karen and Chris?
Speaker 1: Welcome to Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgera. Hello Karen, Hello Chris.
Speaker 3: Oh how's your.
Speaker 1: Anything notable happened today for you?
Speaker 2: It is one thousand degrees outside. It is Arizona hot outside, oppressively strangely hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I decided to go to Seami Valley and golf in this I saw a rattlesnake. A man tried to fight me, and I still have a headache from it. So I went right into it. I'm like, where's the closest desert like climate.
Speaker 2: I like the idea that this the rattlesnake and the man trying to fight you were kind of lined up like there was one you got to that taken care of. Now there's the next one. It was like conveyor belt. Oh yeah, it was insult injury.
Speaker 4: I met the snake right after he said he I'll kick your fucking ass.
Speaker 1: He actually said that, he said.
Speaker 4: It under his breath, but I heard it just because I make Yeah, I mistook. We both were hitting a Kirkland signature ball, you know them for their muffins and winter tires. I was playing at Kirkland. He was playing a Kirklan. He's like, well, is there a black line on it? And I touched it to roll it over to see if there's a black line, and there was, and he said, don't touch my ball. And I'm like, huh, I was looking for this black line you were talking about.
Speaker 1: I was very calm. Yeah. And then it was so great because I just was like, he scared me.
Speaker 4: You know, sure, I don't want to fight, you know, young me would let him at least punch me. But and then later it was so funny because he we played a couple holes and he came back and he's like, have you guys found a phone? Like he left his stone somewhere. He had to do that thing where you get mad and then have to go back and find your phone.
Speaker 3: Very embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I really nice about it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was to where he felt like such an idiot. I was like, do you have the Find your iPhone app? And he's like, I don't know, I think so. And then I went and showed him where his devices. It's like, see that's your Apple Watch and he's like, oh cool, so wherever it is you can actually even if someone picked it up, you can find them on the course.
Speaker 1: Still want to kick my fucking ass.
Speaker 5: Tough guy.
Speaker 4: And then afterwards he was, of course parked right next to me.
Speaker 1: I'll snake back to you and said, is this sure is your wait?
Speaker 4: I have a rattlesnake too, And you also drive a Honda a Cord And then we hugged a long embrace. We drove the same car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, what were you going to say? He said? In the parking lot.
Speaker 4: Not only do we play the same balls, we also drove the same handa Cord.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's a lot in common with this asshole. Do you think he.
Speaker 2: Was stressed out because of the political news channel he watches, Oh rightly?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I guarantee he's he's upset about the stuff that was planted at mar Labo.
Speaker 1: Was he kind of red?
Speaker 2: Was he read like me where when its hought outside him in the same color as my couch? Red in the face all the time?
Speaker 4: He was yeah, yeah, And he had a little bit of ink on his neck and some of that was red, so it was hard to tell. But uh, but I know that he was a conservative, probably not a fiscal conservative because he had a you know, he had a Honda Accord eight, same as mine.
Speaker 1: Anyway, those things bleed money.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That is he's not fiscally conservative.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, we you and I both know they had that recall with the airbags, So that thing is he's probably why he's so upset on the course.
Speaker 2: He's scared all the time, ye is going to get into his mild fender bender and die?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's no airbag.
Speaker 4: From what I've read, it's charge an airbag deploys, but also along with shards of metal. So I've been meaning to get that fixed in my own car.
Speaker 2: But I like we should talk to our guests today about if they've ever experienced an air bag deploying.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really good That is a.
Speaker 4: Good opening question, Karen, Well, then that I think it only makes sense to bring our friend in.
Speaker 1: Would you do the honors. I'd love to thank you.
Speaker 2: Our guest today plays clubs and colleges all over this country. Now I'm talking like the TikTok voices that you can program. Yeah, you may know him from his podcast. I said, no gifts, but he's here today to make conversation.
Speaker 1: Please welcome the indomitable Sorry.
Speaker 2: No if that robot lady gave really really great introductions the evervesent an indomitable Bridger Winegar.
Speaker 5: The idea of the TikTok Lady being kind of a warm up for comedians.
Speaker 1: Welcome everybody.
Speaker 5: I've never I've never been in an accident where the air bag came out, and I feel like that I've been in accidents and that feels like a ripoff. They should come out regardless. I think just for the fun. Yeah, a little bit of drama that I got in a car accident late or deep pandemic and I was re ended by somebody, a guy whose middle name was Mallory and say no more sweetish sugar. He was very nice. I have nothing but good things to say about him. Obviously won't say first or last name. But nothing happened, nothing came out except for me probably getting some back problem that will manifest itself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's because you got rear ended. I think I've rear ended the chperd. Yeah, one, yeah, it's it's just there's no airbag that deploys from the back.
Speaker 1: Apparently I got rear ended horribly.
Speaker 4: The car was like, Oh, the tow truck driver thought he'd be coming across dead people. He said, It's like, you didn't need to say that out loud, but no airbags. Yeah, it would be nice to at least be given that credit, you know, right, yeah, just to legitimize.
Speaker 2: Your ret when you got rearended Bridger, did you, like, I'm just trying to picture it, did you like hit your teeth on the steering wheel or anything kind of like, because I've rear ended people and done that, But I was not the hit.
Speaker 1: I was the hitter or not hitter.
Speaker 5: The abuser.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 5: All that happened was I was just jolted and then started crying, which is insane, but I didn't know like what the emotional response was very strange. I mean, I think. I mean again, look, everyone knows I'm my guys guy, I'm a real man. Yeah, so crying is very infrequent for me, never seen, but this was deep pandemic. I was on my way to IKEA, it was already a stressful situation, and so I just I didn't know what to do with myself. I pulled into the chevron lot Mallory as we'll call him, was so nice. We both apologized to each other and yeah, my teeth didn't hit hit the steering wheel or anything. I kind of just got jolted forward in kind of a violent way where you're like, what just happened?
Speaker 2: It's so scary, like when you don't So did you not like see him coming in the rear view mirror anything? Did you hear like break skidding or was it just a full on slam?
Speaker 5: I certainly had the music on too loud, so I heard nothing coming from any direction. And I think it was one of those situations where we were all kind of waiting for the light, but like there was enough space for him to get some speed going before he hit me, right.
Speaker 2: So he just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he rammed the back of your car.
Speaker 5: Right, and then yeah, I guess there was enough damage to go through the whole insurance process. So then, of course I stupidly was so nice to the insurance people. I've probably could have gotten a lot more out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, boy, they did police come. That's that's why I'm nervous for my next wreck, because police were like, we're too busy, and they didn't come. So I just took pictures of insurance. No one was insured.
Speaker 1: I had to go be.
Speaker 4: Interrogated by some Geico lady who and it's funny, Karen just sounded like her. She I'm sorry, I don't understand. Before you said your head went back and then came forward, but that time you said you went forward and then it came back and forward. So was there an initial forward thing that you forgot about? Like, and I remember just saying, do you like this job? I just went but we did win. We did swollow the belt.
Speaker 1: She was, yeah, I know I shouldn't have said that, but well.
Speaker 2: But she's trying to get you on a technicality. I mean, that's the worst feeling is first of all car accidents, and I've caused so many in my life, I was the most irresponsible, reckless driver my dad one time, in a full state of rage, yelled, I said something about the car that I was driving, and he was like, well you bounced it off of every other car and Sacramento him and saying it was like every eight months I'd call and be like, hey, I got an a car accident.
Speaker 1: That's what I guess. You're a great driver. Now, thank you. Well, you know what it is.
Speaker 2: I just sped too much and I have I feel like people in a town like Los Angeles, where no one wants the hassle, no one wants that, like it is forty five minutes out of your day, you're as Bridgers saying, like totally jolted, you're braced for like injury. It's just a nightmare. It's just a And oftentimes the people are agro as hell. Like it's not like you're lucky. You got Mallory. That's a real blessing.
Speaker 5: Oh Mallory was an angel. And yeah, no police had to be involved, have no authorities. We just took a few light pictures and got insurance information that I like I saw.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Well, Yeah, I got out my cheesecloth and I went over our phones put portrait mode on.
Speaker 1: I'm just kind of staring off at the Big Tent.
Speaker 4: A couple of nights ago, I came home from a show and did what I always do, uh.
Speaker 1: In front of my garage.
Speaker 4: I got out of my car because I have to manually unlock the padlocks that locked my old wooden That garage door is from the thirties. And I left my car in drive and it rolled into the door and totally smashed it in.
Speaker 1: Oh, my car just drove through the door into the garage.
Speaker 5: It wanted to go home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really wanted to go home, and I tried to yank on it, but it was in drive. I thought I was just rolling. I left it in drive. I feel like such a fool, and that's terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 2: It's also such a common I feel like the what's going on these days, the amount of stress people feel in every direction, that kind of short term stuff like I'm doing a lot of that, like where did I just put my keys? Type of shit, or like coming out of CBS and being like, why can't I find my keys? And then I look for fifteen minutes and they're in my pocket.
Speaker 1: Just like the minuscule moments of day to day stuff that we used to.
Speaker 2: Take for granted is very difficult these days. So loose for me, I should say.
Speaker 5: I left my keys in the lock overnight recently, and what a miracle. Any they would have been a buffet for our criminal. They could have taken the car, they could have killed me, They could have done truly whatever they wanted.
Speaker 1: They could have made copies.
Speaker 2: Left it there made you feel like nothing was going to happen in two months later.
Speaker 5: Boom, horrible high. I had in a situation like that once where I locked myself out of the apartment when we had moved back from New York to LA and I was home, Jim was away for some reason. I locked myself out of the apartment and called the locksmith, and in the time it took for the locksmith to get there, a neighbor had said, oh, we have a spare key to that apartment, so I no longer needed the locksmith. But the locksmith appeared and like through the glass of the lobby, I was like, you don't need to come here anymore. They were furious, But the idea of toying with the locksmith's oceans it's like that person knows how to get in. They no where I live. Yeap, Yeah, so that that Fortunately we've moved on, but that person could have easily come for me entirely.
Speaker 2: You know, that was why BTK became in an installer. It's that those are people who like control and like that idea, the access. They're the key master.
Speaker 5: They're the god. They move playing god God.
Speaker 4: About where did he do that? Because my dad installed alarm system in the Oakland.
Speaker 1: Area, BTK was Kansas City.
Speaker 4: I believe, midwesty right, Yes, I'm just trying to figure out if my dad's a murderer. Your dad is all things, he's pretty nice, he's really pretty kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but although that's kind of those are the ones I don't expected it.
Speaker 1: I don't see it coming.
Speaker 5: It'd be interesting if there was a serial killer. There was just an asshole to everyone, and every everybody knew how awful everything added up in the perfect way.
Speaker 1: They're like, of course, it's that guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he told me he was going to kill me every time I walked past his house.
Speaker 1: Well there was, sir. I don't know.
Speaker 2: My laugh is different now and I really didn't like what it just sounds did make sound particularly sinister. But the reason I'm laughing is because someone rode into for a hometown of my favorite murder and said the BTK lived in his neighborhood and he was the dog catcher for a while, and he and and he took the guy that wrote in his dog because the dog had gotten out, and he took the dog in. BTK took the dog into his house and was holding his dog because he's like, I'm going to bring it down to the pound. But he wasn't on duty. It was just his neighbor's dog. And the neighbor guy went up and punched BTK and took his dog back. Oh wow, I know it's not awesome. And that was like literally like a week or two before he got arrested.
Speaker 4: That would be the only story you would ever tell people is oh I punched BTK once.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: And I'll also say anyone who does their job off the clock like that is obviously a murderer. Like I'm doing the dog catching job. I'm not even clocked in.
Speaker 2: In sin So you love to take people's beloved pets away from them because you're the opposite of Santa Claus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's where, Yeah, I think anyone that doesn't have a nine to five is a murderer.
Speaker 1: You either clock out at five and have a big glass of bourbon and watch exactly like.
Speaker 4: A normal person, or otherwise you're on my naughty list.
Speaker 1: I've always said that you have I you've heard me say that, Ridger. What's going on?
Speaker 2: What do you what would you like to talk about today with us on do you Need to Ride the Car podcast?
Speaker 1: That's never in the car anymore?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, let's just I'm just going to plant a little flag here. I almost said I almost said no to this because I thought soon this podcast in the next year is going to end up in a car and me being on zoom for this. I'm not going to for one second allow it not to I'm going to be in that car as soon as you start recording.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you will be.
Speaker 5: But you're not cutting around this, You're not editing this out. I will be in the car when it's recording in a car, and you will. And that's a promise. I will be getting a Starbucks with the two of you, and uh yeah, as soon as that happens. So the listener now knows, so you t will be called out.
Speaker 1: We have the waves.
Speaker 4: Set for the end of Donkey pox or whatever the next thing is.
Speaker 2: I feel like the donkey version of the pox is dying down now.
Speaker 1: I mean, it really is.
Speaker 2: The according to the social media I look at, we have nothing to worry about. Ever, there's nothing going on with COVID anymore. They've decided to centralize this disease going around entirely.
Speaker 5: It's just kind of a scene, frequent nuisance that we all just deal with at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you know, all of the gays have gotten the monkey pox vaccine, and now I guess other people are getting it. I don't know how it works, but hopefully we've we're out of the woods sort of with these big diseases for ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I didn't mean to sound negative. We're out of the woods, you guys.
Speaker 5: But I mean, I mean, speaking of good news. I opened my inbox to click on the zoom link and learned that I'm part of something called the Pepsicho Tasty Rewards. Wow ah, they had sent me an email. Let's see what the subject line. I don't it says the subject is step into this tasty stadium. So I don't know how I got my only and this is probably This is humiliating. I must have signed up for some sort of sweepstakes with Pepsi as an adult, because how else would they have gotten my email?
Speaker 1: Can I'll here?
Speaker 2: I feel like it has something to do with going to the movies.
Speaker 5: Oh interesting, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, like a ticket giveaway or some kind of snack bar, or it.
Speaker 1: Could be this.
Speaker 4: Sometimes at a grocery store, surrounded by a stack of PEPSI call there will be a go krt.
Speaker 1: And you want to win it. This is setting more of a reality.
Speaker 4: Were you trying to win a go kart at an Albertson's or Safe Way?
Speaker 1: Or is that my childhood for the best summer ever?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think it's just my childhood.
Speaker 5: I mean, Karen's theory says that I would have spent more money at a movie theater, which absolutely doesn't add up for my personality. I would not have been at the snack bar in any any situation. So then Chris's theory of entering the sweepstakes is sadly probably closer to the truth. There was probably like a mountain bike or something that I wanted to win, some sort of jet ski or something.
Speaker 2: John, you're kind of a you're positive, you're kind of a believer in that you if you you know, if you play, you could win, like you're opening up that door for yourself.
Speaker 5: I think it's a delusion and a difficult time learning lessons. You know, I've entered so many sweepstakes, and which one actually I have won one? I won one in eighth grade. I wonder if we've talked about this on this very podcast.
Speaker 1: Because I don't care. I don't believe.
Speaker 5: In eighth grade, I there was some sweepstakes that I entered over and over and over to win a I believe a Chrysler Sea Bring.
Speaker 4: No I wouldn't remembered, and it.
Speaker 5: Is a CONVERTI.
Speaker 2: It's the perfect bridger car for real, Like I can't think I have a better car for you.
Speaker 5: Ah well, I appreciate that I did win the sweepsakes, but I won like eighth place where I won, and this was an eighth grade well before puberty really set in. I won an electric shaver, which absolutely was not used for years, I think, to the point where it just got rusty and fell apart before I even needed to utilize that. So that's my big Sweepsakes moment. No Sea Bring for me.
Speaker 1: Oh, a child winning a razor is the best. That's fucking so great.
Speaker 2: But also that you were you had your eyes on the Seabring prize is what.
Speaker 5: I like, always going for that Seabring.
Speaker 2: I'm going to look at his picture of a Seabring right now because I feel like I'm able to picture it independently. But I wonder if I'm right.
Speaker 4: I could if this weir had video on, I would draw one from memory, and I think it would be pretty close.
Speaker 1: It's just a car with beautiful lines.
Speaker 5: Gorgeous contours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a perfect combination of comp act and luxury, sport and casual luxury.
Speaker 5: If you watch prices right between like nineteen ninety seven and two thousand and one, you certainly see. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just think of any car rotating that's a sea bring. Yep, it really is.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, do you want to drive a convertible but you don't want all the attention?
Speaker 1: Get a sea bring.
Speaker 5: When was the last time you two were in a convertible?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Behind? Have either of you ever been behind the wheel.
Speaker 1: Of a convertible?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would have to say it would be some sort of parade where I yeah, last time I was just kind of waving. I was just doing that twisty risk wave.
Speaker 4: I mean, I hate bringing up being Home Homecoming prints again, but it probably was during that parade.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, if you can bring.
Speaker 4: It up, I think, you know what I think. One time I was doing stand up in Texas and I rented. Of course, it was a Mustang, and of course I went for the convertible and it was.
Speaker 1: Way too hot out.
Speaker 4: It was like one hundred and something, but I had that top down and just my sweat was slapping the car behind me.
Speaker 1: You gotta use the top down if you had the option.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think the last time I was in a car like that. And once again, I'm going to be talking about Ja Johnston of Mister Show, who.
Speaker 1: Had the very late life twisteroo.
Speaker 2: Of being on January sixth insurrection. But I'm going to talk about the Jay I used to know, which was pre Proud Boy Ja Johnston. His favorite thing was to drive those you know, those Scouts, which are like they're kind of like Jeeps and that kind of like suburbans combined and they have roll bars but no roof.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love a Scout.
Speaker 2: He always had a scout or a scout like car, and so I think that was the last time.
Speaker 1: Also because that if you have to be a very specific.
Speaker 2: Kind of girl to make a convertible work for you and your hair, I'm the kind of girl. I immediately look greasy, like I work at a hot dog stand.
Speaker 1: Like you drive three blocks.
Speaker 2: My hair is greasy, and I'm kind of like it's instead of looking wind swept, I look like I just look a little oily.
Speaker 5: Part of this is stuck to the head rest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just kind of like some people's hair.
Speaker 2: It's like it's it's all complimentary, or maybe they tie it up in a yeah.
Speaker 4: Scar for scarves like in Felman Louise, Yes, for sure. Do you have to be prepared, Yeah, to drive off a cliff and hold your best friend's hand.
Speaker 3: What are we all?
Speaker 5: Movie?
Speaker 1: I just watched it the other day. It's a terrific film.
Speaker 5: I've never seen it.
Speaker 4: They well, it's good. I don't want to ruin it for you. But at the end they just kill themselves.
Speaker 1: They kill themselves and I forgot about it because I hadn't seen it since I.
Speaker 5: Was a kid.
Speaker 1: But they just drive off a cliff.
Speaker 4: And they look at each other and they you want to end this, and they kind of smile and grab it and it's a freeze frame. They just drive off and it freezes, and then the credits roll on a frozen car right before their death, and I'm like, wow, this was a grim, grim ass movie. I don't remember so rough.
Speaker 2: I remember being in the theater and just being like, you've got to be fucking kidding me.
Speaker 1: This is it.
Speaker 2: Like, so, here's the thing. Women, when you're down and out and you're driven, you know you're you kill Basically, they killed a rapist and we're being pursued by the cops, and the cops are being told, hey, you're not right about this, and then they're just like fuck it, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Let's just both die.
Speaker 5: Yeah what well, Look, I have not seen the movie, but from what I've just been told, it seems like you two are just you are making some big assumptions about what happens to that car freeze frame. We don't know what happens. Then they might be rewarded for their heroic things. Maybe the car keeps flying through the air like in Greece. I always that's a great situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there needs to be a sequel where they land on just a natural boat ramp.
Speaker 1: And it turns to a boat and it's just part two and the boat car then movie Boat Cars the sequel.
Speaker 4: I have to apologize for giving away the end Bridget to helm in Louise. It's maybe something you would have wanted to watch. It's trending right now on Netflix. I'm really sorry.
Speaker 5: What if I had always assumed that was the beginning of the movie.
Speaker 1: What they did after their attempted suicide.
Speaker 5: They're all alive. Yeah, we've been given a second chance.
Speaker 2: A lot of physical therapy appointments, a lot of casts being hung up by wires.
Speaker 1: Oh there's a part in that movie that I really adore, a door adore.
Speaker 2: And it's the kind of thing I feel like it was improvised by Geena Davis, who I think is still so unsung when she is a supermodel. She can do comedy, she can do drama, she's so gorgeous. Action, she can do action. She can do Goodnight is amazing, amazing. She had the lips that everyone has gotten themselves now. She had naturally in the eighties. She was like amazing face. God gave her the lips, got they're from God, not doctor whoever done?
Speaker 4: She was an Olympic hopeful in the Biathlete. That's where you don't know that ski and ski and shoot a rifle ski.
Speaker 2: She's a skier shooter. Yeah, excellent. Was she hopeful or did she make it? She's really good.
Speaker 1: It needs to be wikipedied. You know.
Speaker 2: There's a part in that movie where she's on the phone with Louise Orthel Mike can remember which one which isn't Saranda, and she's nervous. They're trying to figure out something there. It's before all their whole adventure starts, and she's all nervous, and she keeps opening the freezer, pulling out a Snicker, taking a bite and putting it back and shutting the door, and then talking a little bit and going back and taking another bite. So she's she's essentially eating a Snickers like bit by bit, pretending she's not doing it. And I like, I've done nuts all my life. And then when I saw it on the screen, I was just like, this is the funniest thing of all time where you're basically pretending to yourself you're not eating a Snickers, but you're just like opening the door real fast, taking a bite and putting it back it.
Speaker 4: That's so great, that's what I get. I'm a big Snickers ice cream bar guy. And yeah, I open that freezer ten times because I just take little bites and then I keep you want each bite to stay cold.
Speaker 5: That's right, it's kind of stretched you.
Speaker 1: But do you think that Geena Davis improvised that.
Speaker 2: It was just such a kind of a natural Yeah, I mean, who knows, because yeah, unless the writer's great and you know, knows women that well, or is a woman, or Gina Davis was just doing it because that's real, you know what I mean, anything is possible, it feels like. But speaking of that blind alley, I just drove us down.
Speaker 5: Is no, really, that's a blind alley. I would talk about Snickers and eating them out of a freezer for the rest of the podcast. But I don't want to cut you off here.
Speaker 2: No, no, you're not cutting off because I was going to ask you what is your frozen what's your ideal dream frozen treat or your top three however you want to do it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think we have to start with the Snickers ice cream. I mean, it really is an amazing product when you think about it, because they took this thing we all loved, created something that is kind of just a completely different idea, didn't really change any of the branding or anything, and created a perfect, a similarly perfect product that only barely has some resemblance to real Snickers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because nugat.
Speaker 4: Come on, people like to say it, but no one wants to eat it outside.
Speaker 5: Of being in a Snickers Forgive I mean, excuse me.
Speaker 4: It's just a plate of nougat at a party. You're supposed to your finger through it.
Speaker 2: I feel like nugat it was is like a European delicacy, candy that does not feel like something that would be from the set of amidaeis like just a nugat with a one nutt right next.
Speaker 5: To a Turkish delight.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly thing. It feels like.
Speaker 2: How it started and they were like, well, let's reintroduce it in this candy bar.
Speaker 5: So it got some They twisted it up in a way that worked for Snickers, and then the Snickers ice cream bar kind of has peanut butter in it.
Speaker 1: Right, Uh, there's certainly peanuts in it.
Speaker 4: I've even had the almond version and it just doesn't no of fence to anyone out there with the big allergy. But I like the peanut version made way a little Yeah, but.
Speaker 5: I will say, as far as Snickers goes a Snickers with almonds, that's my bar of choice. I mean, so it has kind of a dark history.
Speaker 1: Used to be a Mars bar. It used to be a Mars.
Speaker 5: Bar, and I loved the Mars packaging so much. It was beautiful, it was so tasteful and made you feel so classy. And now it's just like a branch of the Snickers. But I mean, God bless, I'm happy it's back. But there was no reason for the Mars bar, which is also different from what's so famous in the UK, the Mars Bar, which is a whole other thing.
Speaker 2: It's in the UK, they call it a Mars bar, but the bar to Americans is a milky way right right.
Speaker 5: The American Mars Bar was kind of what we now know as the Snickers Almond. Yes, but I love Snickers almond. But Snickers is now getting out of control. I feel like they've done a brownie thing. I'm not even going to touch that. You know, that's gonna be one of those weird Airline Brownies. They've like, they've done things without crunch, like a lot of bars with and you need that little peanut or almondon. Yeah, I'm a texture guy, right maybe, I mean, if they were willing to try it, well, cashews are a little bit soft. I don't know how that would feel inside a candy bar, but I'm willing to try.
Speaker 1: How about this thing made.
Speaker 5: The Snickers goes Hawaii and put some macadamia nuts in there.
Speaker 2: Oh I love a macadamia nut, I really do.
Speaker 5: They're so delicious and you can picture the Snickers on a surfboard campaign.
Speaker 1: It's it right there with the anthropprimorphized human feet.
Speaker 4: If we keep talking about this bridge, you're gonna get an email from the Snickers people about a sweepstakes you didn't even know about.
Speaker 1: Snickers Taste them.
Speaker 2: What if the macadamia Snickers is based on the character that they create, which would be funny because they don't have characters for their other candy bars, but they create one specifically for the Hawaiian Snickers, And it's from that picture of Mark Zucker who was like oil boarding and had too much spf on his face. But its Snickers, and they're like Snickers macadamia.
Speaker 5: His face kind of looks like a kind of a white almond with all that stuff on it. Yeah, that makes perfect sense to me. Yeah, he's got a candy face, a candy face.
Speaker 1: He's kind of got.
Speaker 2: An abandoned Victorian child face. So it makes sense. Like it there's a subconscious link, I think when you're looking at him and you're like, oh, candy, it would make you buy candy.
Speaker 5: He looks kind of like one of those like a Victorian doll that they burn in the Secret Garden. Do you know when they're burning all of this stuff, it feels like one of the dolls they would have thrown into the Why were they burning things in the Secret Garden? Do you remember that.
Speaker 2: The boy had scarlet fever okay, or one of those Victorian child illnesses that were not talked about, but the child literally sat in the house dying while everyone else tried to ag normal. That was one of my favorite, like when I got introduced to that world as like an eight year old or a seven year old, where it's like, I'm sorry, we just have someone dying in the back room and everyone else is acting normal, Like this is the book for me? And there's like a weird wafy child because the girl had to go in and like make friends with him, and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, I can't go outside, and she's like, yes, you can. She makes him go outside.
Speaker 5: So that's what it was. She was bringing him to her secret garden. Is that's the basic plot of that. And for some reason a bunch of things got burned.
Speaker 2: Well because he had a communicable disease, I think, so maybe it was like once he caught it, they had to get rid of all his shit and he wasn't allowed to go outside or have fun or have toys, because you know, the Victorian version of don Keypowks.
Speaker 4: I know that I've read this book. It's one of my earliest book reading experiences.
Speaker 1: And I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I don't remember the burning.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the burning, but I don't really remember reading the book because then the little House in the Prairie series came in like a tornado and all else was forgotten. But there is a really good Secret Garden live action movie from the Is it the nineties or the earl.
Speaker 5: Mostos, I feel like it's like late eighties. I mean, because I remember watching it as a kid and being so scared and like why are things getting burned? And then being delighted by of course, secret gardening.
Speaker 2: The idea of a secret garden is, first of all, you live in house in a like an aestate so big that there can be a secret garden, right, just like check this shit out. A walled garden.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to have a garden that nobody really even gets to use, that's the dream, just your own little patch where the sick kid gets to hang out.
Speaker 2: I mean, because it was the dead mother's garden. Remember, Oh is that true? And she died never maybe I know she the first person we hold on. Oh, it's nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: The movie I Secret.
Speaker 2: Garden was from nineteen ninety three. We got a Maggie Smith in there. Oh, Francis Ford Coppola directed in it.
Speaker 1: Here's the Little Boy.
Speaker 2: It was almost like she was staying with this family because her dad had to go off to war and her mother died.
Speaker 1: It was her mother's secret garden. Were dying kids.
Speaker 4: She fell from a branch in the Sacred Garden while pregnant with Colin.
Speaker 5: Wait, she was climbing a tree while pregnant.
Speaker 1: Yes, I believe. Yes, this woman was nuts. She was reckless. She shouldn't be gardening if you're pregnant or pruning tall trees. That's insane. Stay away from ladders, please.
Speaker 4: It's hard enough work to keep a giant garden a sacred. I mean, it's a giant piece of land that's outside. Someone's going to know about it.
Speaker 1: They could see those walls.
Speaker 2: I mean that was the cool part of it is the idea of a locked It's like a locked area you're not allowed to go into.
Speaker 5: I love any any forbidden area, a small door gated garden. I want to see what's happening back there?
Speaker 1: Yes, And are there bodies buried in there? I always go to that. Is there a witch involved somehow? Come on?
Speaker 5: Is a mom falling from a branch?
Speaker 1: Witch? Like in her witch?
Speaker 5: Cost?
Speaker 1: Was it Halloween? Een? I went?
Speaker 4: There was a bar that I went to, and I e I have known. All I remember is going to this place and there was a waiting room. Someone's sitting at a desk, and they gave you a key and you unlock a closet, so you open this bureau and there's jackets in there, and you scooed them to the side and open the door and go downstairs, and you're in.
Speaker 1: This speakeasy bar with like cigars and drug use.
Speaker 5: Now, how do you feel about an artificial secret.
Speaker 1: One that's implanted.
Speaker 6: Ah, I'm just gonna find a government.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we all better get used to it.
Speaker 5: We've got them coursing through our vein.
Speaker 1: Yeah, micro chips, that's what we're talking about, right.
Speaker 5: What if I told you could get an artificial secret, very tiny at any of your local pharmacies. What if a rite aid employee, your common right aid employee, could let the government track you.
Speaker 1: Well, well here we are, here, we are.
Speaker 2: You go to get the vaccine, and then employee just walks up and whispers.
Speaker 1: Like, don't go into the garden, mother, Just like what I'm looking for some medicine please.
Speaker 5: There's a sick ride aid in every store who just wants to have fun and make friends. They're locked up in.
Speaker 2: The back, constantly wearing a shawl, just creeping around in the vitamin area, whispering to people.
Speaker 1: Stop it, Steven.
Speaker 4: And then you try and find them, and the manager comes over and says, I'm sorry, but that person hasn't worked here in thirty years.
Speaker 2: Classic we've finally written Secret Garden too.
Speaker 4: Separate Rite Aid Gardens, the ghostly pharmacist Colin.
Speaker 2: Can I just brag real quick going back to Mars bars please, I that was used to be my candy of choice. I also feel ripped off and lessened by almond Snickers because it's not the same. And when I was in high school, for my I believe it was my sixteenth birthday, my friend Patti Riley Rip gave me a brown bag from seven to eleven with sixteen Mars bar That was my birthday present.
Speaker 5: Dream.
Speaker 2: It's just the thing I know you like, and I'm like, well, thanks, like yes, thank you. Because also it's pretty great to get like a massive amount of candy like that, because you never.
Speaker 5: Really see it like that. You always you see the individual bar in your cover or whatever. But to see just like the bounty, yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 4: Just protruding from a bag like on the front of a French bicycle, like.
Speaker 1: So many tiny chocolate almond candy bar.
Speaker 4: Back ass yes, yes, and then you have a French little French curly mustache.
Speaker 1: But it's only chocolate.
Speaker 2: It's chocolate and caramel with a little almond for your face.
Speaker 1: Chris what's your what's your candy bar of choice?
Speaker 4: It's funny because you know me to not be a big sweet tooth, but I really am, and I brought it into that I'd really I am a Snicker's ice cream bar. I have to go full peanut. But I'm real boring. I say what everyone says always, and it is I get very excited about Ariese's Peanut butter Cup, and I think it's because it's two servings. It's like you have one thing and then immediately another thing to look forward to or save.
Speaker 1: It's two servings.
Speaker 4: That's what I need is someone to tell me to stop halfway through. And the people at Reese has figured that out with the pieces though. Yeah, like the pieces. I'll eat the whole bag like it like an excitable et.
Speaker 2: So you're peanut butter candy person, Yes, I am peanut butter and chocolate together.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's that classic tale of I'm sorry, but I just rammed my chocolate truck into your peanut butter wagon? Whips? Is there going to be a lawsuit? Wait a minute, let me taste it first, and then everyone became.
Speaker 1: Rich bags in that commercial.
Speaker 5: No, No, you don't need them face full of peanut.
Speaker 1: You don't need air bags.
Speaker 4: When you eat so much chocolate, you get a big old air bag of ass.
Speaker 5: Chris, let me ask you, as someone who likes peanut butter and two servings.
Speaker 4: Thank you, peb twigs. I have never had one, but I have. Oh my god, I want it right now. I'll go get it right after we're done recording.
Speaker 1: And you can.
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 1: You can. That's a promise.
Speaker 5: Incredible, I mean it did have. That's another candy bar with a kind of a storied history of the company.
Speaker 4: Not quite knowing what to do, they introduced the wafers in there, right, the waifers in there? Sure the cookie it's not yet. Oh yeah, it was a wafer. It would never work.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I don't know why you're thinking of a KitKat.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I turned it into an airy wafer. Of course I was. I was imagining get it. I'm a sweet too. Sorry, I'm svery gravy boy, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: What are your three favorite gravies?
Speaker 1: Don't get me started, but it start.
Speaker 4: Brown, gray, lands lucent, the natural kind that comes just sleeping out of the turkey. Your grandma calls it gravy, but really it should have been discarded.
Speaker 1: Just oil. Yeah, I am. I am a bit of a gravy boy. Been riding that gravy train for a while.
Speaker 2: Can I just say, let me warn you about because I know I'm concerned about the peanut butter Twigs and I want to hear the dark history behind the Twigs issue. But I think I know what you're to say. They tried to change their cookie to chocolate peanut butter.
Speaker 5: This is how have we never discussed this? I cannot believe you and I may be the only people who have closely tracked the history for Twigs.
Speaker 2: We're the only people on that comment board on the Mars eminem Mar, what the fuck are you.
Speaker 1: Doing with this? It was like, so, okay, let me just say this.
Speaker 2: A peanut butter Twix was awesome because it essentially was half Reese's half Twigs. So you have a cookie, you have the peanut butter filling and some chocolate. Here's the problem. They couldn't figure out this is what I'm assuming they couldn't figure out the preservative situation because I couldn't buy one that was fresh. I was like, I'm the one that's buying these, and I've bought I bought ten in a row that were all like crumbly peanut butter stale, and I was like, okay, I have to give up. And then the next time I saw them, they're like, now what the chocolate cookie. I'm like, it's not your fucking problem. You are misinterpreting what the problem here is. It's not that people didn't like the cookie. It's that people don't like your crumbly old peanut butter.
Speaker 1: Interesting signed missus k l Kill Garrett.
Speaker 5: That makes perfect sense. I mean so, yeah, there was the period I feel like in the early to mid nineties when they had peeb Twigs. When it first was introduced, we all loved it. Then it vanished from the market completely. Yeah, returned years later, says Twigs is dark period. Yeah, yes, that kind of the dark ages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind kind of medieval candy.
Speaker 5: Ara, right, this lost history in the brand. They return to market with the classic flavor, and I will say I had some excellent bars during that period. But then, as Karen mentioned, classic classic butter, classic where the peanut butter was the texture you needed it, the cookie was crunchy, the chocolate was delicious and came together.
Speaker 1: Mid nineties.
Speaker 5: This was now what, I'm well mid nineties. I never had a bad one, and also I was a child, so it was probably god knows what my tastes were. But as a teen and college student in the thousands, I returned to the peeb Twigs and had so many good experiences until they got nervous. They got a little flighty and changed it to the chocolate bar. And then it was not it tasted bad.
Speaker 6: It tasted bad because it wasn't chocolate.
Speaker 1: It was like it was almost like Oreo, like you ditter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was not like it wasn't a burst of flavor. It wasn't like, wow, this is really adding something. It was detracting well.
Speaker 2: And also I think they tried to pick up on remember when Oreo just started doing every dumb flavor, they could think, oh boy, and people it became a conversation piece.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was influencing them in a way.
Speaker 5: Interesting. Yeah, that kind of makes sense where But then I think I would not be surprised if I had written into the company during that period, because I was furious they finally reverse course. And now I believe you can get a peeb Twix with a regular cookie. But I will say this, I really feels like a confidence issue for the Mars company. What they need to be more confident and put that in regular grocery source. It was usually only like something you can find a gas stations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: It was like a specialty, almost like seasonal candy. They were treating it special. I just would love to know what the problem was.
Speaker 5: Well, that's and I mean that kind of speaks to your problem, Karen. I wonder if you were getting them at these gas stations and they had been sitting on the counter for so long.
Speaker 1: Yes, because no one likes it but you and me, right.
Speaker 5: Well, but Mars was not putting the marketing box behind it to get people eating it, so you were eating old product.
Speaker 2: I was doing the work of thousands and thousands of any purchasers where I'm like, fine, I'll just eat it.
Speaker 1: So it's chitty stock.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's oh, such a shame.
Speaker 4: I just remembered. And I don't know if this is going to do. You rail that And I've been quiet for a little bit. I think my neighbor it sounded like she was fighting and it was getting physical, and also while someone was playing the trumpet a horn.
Speaker 5: I don't know what was bend is breaking up.
Speaker 1: We thought you were just thinking about gravy.
Speaker 4: She just left quickly, and I if I weren't podcasting, I would be saying if everything was okay. But in that time I remembered the grasshopp because you mentioned the Oreo that the grasshopper cookies.
Speaker 3: Remember those mint ones?
Speaker 1: I forgot. I love those.
Speaker 4: Wait, no, they have a grasshopper on them, like it's an oreo.
Speaker 1: And you know, on the.
Speaker 4: Cookie part there's a profile of a cartoon grasshopper.
Speaker 1: And the in the cream in the middle is mint. It's green. You've never heard of this. You've never heard of a green grass.
Speaker 5: I would buy something with a cartoon grasshopper. Yeah, and they dip some of them were dipped in chocolate. You get the full dipped you know cover I think did that later. But yeah, it's a mint. So I'm a big You can add peanut butter or you can add mint. But I guess I'm a.
Speaker 4: Little bit of a gravy boy, but I'm also a bit of a chocolate peanut butter mint man.
Speaker 5: So those are outside of the realm of like a thin mint or whatever the Keebler family is creating.
Speaker 4: Oh, I very much. I'm ninety percent. I'm sure it's a Keebler, Keebler vehicle product.
Speaker 2: Keebler does have a Grasshopper cookie that is that is they have mint and fudge.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, Minton fudge. Is that what it is?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: It's completely coated in chocolate on the outside.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that's pretty exciting. Yeah, there's different phases of enjoyment layers, and I'm really levels I kind of want to get one of those.
Speaker 5: I've never been able to follow the path of Girl Scout Cookie to Keebler or Keebler to Girl Scout Cookie, because one of these two organizations is stealing the ideas of the other one. Because I feel like Keebler has basically all of their cookies are essentially Girl Scout cookies.
Speaker 2: Did they make a deal with them or do you think they're just like, oh, we we also love a samoa, so we'll just make that too.
Speaker 4: I think it's a good question, so doing the same thing, because I remember in the eighties little elves would come to my door and sell them. I'll see that was you know some of my jokes. Oftentimes they don't really I do like that idea though, a little animated ELF's knocking on the door selling them.
Speaker 5: I would love that.
Speaker 1: It would be nice. Would they be very small? Very very small.
Speaker 4: It's like a situation where you know, you have one of those barn style doors where the bottom and the top open independently of each other, and you're like, hello, I could have sworn someone was knocking on the door, and then you have to look down to see your new little animated elf friend.
Speaker 2: And you would be like, no, solicitors, slam the door and the elf walks through a little split in the wood at the bottom.
Speaker 1: I'm inside anyway, Yeah, this.
Speaker 5: Is a home invasion, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but very small.
Speaker 5: Scar All of a.
Speaker 4: Sudden, he's been leprec on the horror movie and he is a tiny dagger.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at Keebler.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is a complete ripoff of a Samoa Kepler Coconut Dreams, and they're not giving any credit.
Speaker 5: Shameless. I mean again, maybe the Keebler people are thinking of the ideas. I don't want to cast blame in either direction, but one is obviously like a giant corporation and the other is the Girl's Scouts, And I don't know how how much money is happening on the Girl Scouts side, but someone is stealing someone's ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh wait a second, there's you can get a poster with all the different flavors of Girl Scout cookies on them. What if I got that and just hung it up, like tacked it up in my front room.
Speaker 5: Just finally got some art to hang on the wall.
Speaker 1: Guys, look what I took down Chris's Kadd's painting and put up his matted poster of cookies.
Speaker 2: Just so, just so we have a key, so we know what we're eating. I know what we're talking about. Yeah, it's important, it's important. He can Sandy's Keebler makes a cookie called Peacan Sandy's.
Speaker 5: They are so dry, so dry.
Speaker 2: It's like a short bread cookie with little peckcon chips in it.
Speaker 1: It is four old women cloak strictly.
Speaker 2: And one summer we went to our family always went to Blue Lake with our family friends of the hospitals and the Gearings.
Speaker 1: And one summer, my aunt Jean was in charge. There was like I think.
Speaker 2: Four or five kids, like we're all twelve and thirteen or whatever, and she was in charge of bringing like the snacks and she brought. She went to Luckies in our hometown, Yucky Luckies on the boulevard, and she bought Pecan Sandy's and Diet Doctor Skipper. Those were the two products she bought for the kids. And we gave her shit for like every day of the ten day vacation and then since that time, where you'd be like, great idea, Aunt Jean, how about some Peacan sandies?
Speaker 1: And I thought they were good.
Speaker 2: Were just like this is literally a cookie that was invented to eat while you're drinking tea in a nursing home.
Speaker 1: Like, what are you?
Speaker 2: You could have bought us anything at the store and these are the things you bring on vacation.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Even the packaging of the Sandy's is like for adults, it's not fun looking. It looks like something you bring to book club or something. It's not for children.
Speaker 1: And what is this doctor Skipper? Yeah, I've never heard of doctor two characters from Gilgan's Island Anisota together Professor Skipper. I guess sorry, we've got.
Speaker 2: To get ginger in there. No, it was the ripoff of Diet Doctor Pepper. It was that grocery stores rip off Diet Doctor Care. It was like diet Doctor Skipper, and we're like, first of all, we're twelve, so we don't need any diet beverages, thank you. Secondly, at least just get a chips Ahoy, Like, at.
Speaker 1: Least think of the group who likes pecan if.
Speaker 4: It's got to be, not get chips Ahoy, not this doctor Skipper, not that boot is sinking.
Speaker 1: That's while we're.
Speaker 5: All I mean before and we don't have to move away from this topic, but I just want to like publicly bring up the memory of the Eel Fudge chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies. Do you remember these? Yeah, there was another corporation making a horrible move that affects me in such a crazy way.
Speaker 1: Other Fudge. He was one of the keyl He lived in the treehouse.
Speaker 4: Right, he's kind of the king or the bo Yeah, he's the Papa Smurf of them.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: And you know the Eel Fudge sandwich cookies, right that are kind of shaped like an elf, that have chocolate in the middle and the outside of a vanilla.
Speaker 1: Certainly I've forgotten about it for decades. They're literally shaped like little el.
Speaker 5: It's the cutest cookie in the world. Yeah, I should go buy some, but they had to chocolate peanut butter. So I'm just calling out the Keeblers in a lot of ways right now. Bring them back, bring them back. We have to publicly talk about these things.
Speaker 1: Wait a second.
Speaker 2: So they had an eel fudge that was a peanut butter cookie coated in chocolate.
Speaker 5: It was a chocolate cookie with peanut butter in the middle, so it was kind of like a little peanut butter sandwich with chocolate cookies. But no, they were very strongly chocolate flavored.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's what I'm seeing right now. And when I look this up, is this interesting.
Speaker 1: At all to me?
Speaker 5: And I'm the only person who matters.
Speaker 1: They have fudge covered Nutter Butter cookies.
Speaker 5: I've tried them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like from your tone, the chocolate is not doing what it needs to do.
Speaker 5: And I love a Nutter butter. I absolutely will scream about a Nutter butter. But they missed a rare miss from the Nutter Butter family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those people know what they're doing, and they you know it again, like you're saying they got nervous and they tried something weird because they think like they're like TikTok needs a new cookie. It's like, no, they don't. They need exactly what they have. That's what they Chris, did you know that this is a This is a little known fact about Bridger is he is actually a great baker, and he truly cookies truly are his favorite thing. So he is an cookie expert. But he also makes unbelievably delicious cookies as well.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate that one of the I mean, you're welcome the things here in your bio, and I usually do a memory. I put them to memory usually, but we got this one late, so I'm going to usually off the book.
Speaker 4: At some point. You worked in a bakery, you were a professional baker.
Speaker 5: I did work in a bakery, and they accused me of burglarizing it.
Speaker 4: Burglart like breaking in, not just stealing from the till, which we all do.
Speaker 5: We all dip our. We've all got sticky fingers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sticky fingers in the till. Why wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: Some people can't keep their hands out of the till. I was stealing from the coffee place that I was working at in Sacramento, and it would just be like a twenty dollars bill so I could buy beer, and I'd rationalized in my mind of like I deserve it because blah blah blah. I was talking to my dad on the phone one time and I told him a story about this boss I used to have at the seat at the student center at Zach State and she got arrested for embezzlement. And my dad goes, well, Karen, I gotta tell you there's some people that just can't keep their hands out of the till and I literally started crying, like I pretended I wasn't to him, but I was like, I'm one.
Speaker 1: Of those people.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it. I'm the person you're talking about. And that's the last day I ever took twenty dollars. I think I in total took forty dollars. So it wasn't insane, but I was like, oh, I don't want to be that those people you're talking about.
Speaker 1: It's horrible. I don't want to use the word till till. Did they think you were actually breaking in? Richard?
Speaker 5: I mean, this was really one of those This was a deeply offensive situation because I had never taken anything from the till I was a star employee. I will say, this place was insane because we had looked like fresh bread, and at the end of the day they wouldn't allow us to take it home. They made us throw it away because they thought that that would encourage us to sell the bread. But it was just this weirdly wasteful thing. So the only thing I would steal is we would have to load up a garbage can of beautiful bread at the end of the day and wheel it out to the dumpster. And on the way out, I would just grab a loaf of bread and just bite into it like and it was the most satisfying thing in the world. So that's as far as stealing from this company I had ever done. But they thought that I had just turned Oh yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but I was gonna say, they're accusing you of stealing garbage.
Speaker 1: That's insane.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well so that was not. That's not they were what they accused me of. They never knew. This is the first time, I maybe the first time I've ever spoken publicly out of about eating bread out of a garbage can.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 5: What they accused me of was returning after hours between the closing and when the bread bakers came early in the morning. They thought that I had snuck in at night and taken the money from under the manager's door. You know, at the end of the night you would slip all the cash under the manager's door. They thought I had come back and somehow, maybe through use of a wire hangar or something, snuck it out and then taken whatever money was from.
Speaker 1: The two So the manager.
Speaker 3: How the manager, the.
Speaker 5: Person who was I'll say his name was, he was clearly the thief, bad attitude is employee, kind of a criminal type. He was the thief. He always he had long, thin fingers. He's lost to history, possibly dead. But yes, okay, yeah, they did accuse me. I got interrogated by police.
Speaker 1: What Oh my god.
Speaker 5: I went into the interrogation room at a police station. It was it was a whole situation. And then they kind of let me go slowly because they obviously couldn't nail me down as the criminal because I wasn't the criminal. I mean, I'm actually thrilled they thought it was me. I'm thrilled I got to be part of that process. And you know, get to sit across the table from a cop who is like, where were you on such and such night and all of that.
Speaker 1: That's are you someone that likes to do jury duty.
Speaker 5: I've never done jury duty.
Speaker 4: I heard my friend Adam. He highly recommends it. He's told me many times he had a blast on jury duty. But it was like a ten month like murder trial, Like he got a good wall and they put then the guy was guilty and they he went to jail and everyone was like hugging, like it was an emotional bonding experience for him.
Speaker 1: But I don't think usually that's the jury you end up on.
Speaker 5: But no, you usually end up on like I don't know, somebody didn't pay their bill or something, or like sad situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, collection a thing where you're like, I want nothing to do with this, right, this is just a bummer. But can I just ask you really quick when you got interrogated because you knew you didn't do it?
Speaker 1: Were you cocky? Were you or were you just scared shitless?
Speaker 5: Like they're gonna I think I was, well, I was nervous because I initially didn't even know why I was there. I mean, like I remember I was at the time, I was delivering for the bakery and I got a call from the South Jordan police. They left a voicemail we need you to come into the station. So I go into the station having no idea what the situation was, and then it started becoming clear what it was. And the cop was terrible at asking me questions. She asked me, like, the burglary I think took place like on a Wednesday night. And she had laid all this information out to me, and she started asking him about my alibi and was like, where were you Tuesday night? And so I told her all about Tuesday night and I was like, but remember the situation we're talking about was Wednesday, right, And she was so grateful. She's like, oh, yes, where were you Wednesday?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: So I think that was kind of the lynchpin of like, oh, okay. So he's really volunteering information in the way that he's almost investigating for me.
Speaker 1: Ask me about every night of the week. Just now, let's go over Thursday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that happened in Utah, like it happened in Utah, South Jordan.
Speaker 1: Utah, it's Jordan is in near I've been to Ogden? Is it near Ogden?
Speaker 5: That's probably twenty five minutes from Ogden, Okay.
Speaker 6: In a car by car by car? Should you take vote by it's by car car? Ogden was Have I mentioned this to you that it was very curious to me. I didn't see a lot of young people or children in Ogden, but the whole downtown is there's little bronze sculptures of children playing the leftovers.
Speaker 1: Yes. I was like, did they lose all the children? I believe they bronzed all the children. No.
Speaker 4: And they're in mid they're in mid play, they're on bicycles, they're yeah, they're in the middle of catching a you know, a soccer ball, which, by the way, is illegal unless you're the goalie.
Speaker 1: You can't touch it with your hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all these sculptures didn't make sense, but it was children.
Speaker 5: And make sure of me, someone who doesn't know any of the rules.
Speaker 2: Right before Bridger is going to get beaten up in third grade for touching the soccer ball during league play.
Speaker 5: It used No, I think Ogden. I think I associate mostly with like an oil refinery. Do you remember like kind of a horrifying oil refinery with flame shooting in the air. Oh?
Speaker 1: No, is it on the mountain?
Speaker 5: I think it's like across from the mountains and it's a it's very spooky. It looks like like Lord of the Rings, like Saurn's location.
Speaker 1: I need to go back. I need to go back.
Speaker 5: There's so much I got and you've got to see this oil.
Speaker 4: I've got to go back and do some clean Mormon comedy.
Speaker 1: Bring your camera.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The whole audience was drinking diet coke, and I wanted to be clean. But they all were saying. They were requesting dirty jokes. Say something dirty. We want to hear it life.
Speaker 5: Do you live please?
Speaker 1: They were partying. Uh, they were great. It was I still to this day.
Speaker 4: I remember after working there, I'm like, I want to record a comedy special in Ogden.
Speaker 5: The crowd I loved it. I am Utah audiences.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, they're great, even if they dip their children in a displacement process that involves molten metal to only remember them in city parks in their last moments of play. I know what you're doing. Adults of Ogden.
Speaker 2: They're just like everybody else is super old, and they're just like we like kids visually, but we don't want to hear them playing all the time, so let's just bronze them all.
Speaker 1: God, that's good.
Speaker 2: That would be a perfect horror movie s element. We played Salt Lake City and we were very nervous for my favorite murder. We were very nervous of like, are they going to not like this topic, is this rude?
Speaker 1: Whatever?
Speaker 2: And we got backstage and someone had brought us a like a hard copy photo from a nineties party where Elizabeth.
Speaker 1: Smart was at the party.
Speaker 2: So it's like a total like everybody's got flannels tied around their waist and they're just like, you know, drinking diet coke or whatever, and she's just standing there.
Speaker 1: And we got they gave it to us so we could put it up on the big screen and show everybody it. Wow, amazing.
Speaker 5: Was this the photo where she's like in full garb with the kidnapper and they're just like hanging out of this weird party. Yes, one of the strangest photos, so.
Speaker 2: Odd and like it was like that guy showing off that he can do whatever he wants.
Speaker 5: Basically such a weird situation. I mean, the Smart family, I believe the father recently came out, so there are just frequently in the news.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Ed Smart gay and now out and living his life. So the family continues to have big announcements.
Speaker 2: Wow, next for the.
Speaker 4: Smarts, remember that happening when you were a kid? Oh there, Oh wow.
Speaker 5: My cousins lived in that neighborhood, so we knew almost immediately because they like went, they were part of the initial search party of like going up and looking through the house and all of that stuff. It was a very odd time.
Speaker 2: So scary because he went and got her out the window, right. Yeah, I mean, just like something from a nightmare, truly.
Speaker 5: Just like showing up at her bed with a knife and being like, oh, I'll kill your family if you don't come with me.
Speaker 1: You want to be my child bride?
Speaker 2: Oh, so fucking weird and crazy, so crazy, but it's one of the one of the very few, like, oh my god, she came back.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, she wrote a book. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: She's basically going like, I'm in charge of my life. You know.
Speaker 5: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an amazing story, an amazing survival, and kind of like I always think, it's so fascinating. I love talking about those extreme things because everyone goes, that's crazy, that would never happen. Why would she Why would she have not waved her arm or blob and it's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: This coerced bizarre, Like.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is so weird, and things like that happen sometimes, like a really creepy psycho with a plan like targets your you know, targets someone.
Speaker 5: So frightening, and then they made a TV movie out of it that's delicious. Certainly no one that's acted since I feel like they shot it in Nova Scotia or something. They shot Nova Scotia for Utah, which could not be further. Utah is like a desert. Yeah, Nova Scotia, the ocean is there. Yeah, it's like this fishing town that they're trying to believe is Utah. It's fascinating to watch.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is crazy.
Speaker 2: Now that we've covered Amy Smart the way we wanted to, I said, I said, Elizabeth damn it.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: Amy Smart's the blonde actress from like the two thousands. Yes, you do know her if you saw her face. She's gorgeous, but like, actually legit funny, right, Chris. She was in that movie with it's called like Shock or something where Jason Statham's heart has to get.
Speaker 1: Like oh yeah, remember he has to be.
Speaker 2: It's actually a hilarious genius movie where his heart gets shocked to keep him alive, so that he goes and does something.
Speaker 1: Like that voltage Joel Jolt.
Speaker 2: And at one point he and Amy Smart if I'm thinking of the right person, the right actress, they have sex like in front of everybody on the Santa Anita Racetrack because that's like the one thing that will give him the adrenaline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he basically becomes the speed bus. Yeah. Yeah, it's human. It's the human speed story.
Speaker 4: And then and then at the at the race way they're having sex. People start betting on when they'll climax.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 5: Is that true?
Speaker 4: It's it's in the outtakes. I don't I don't remember all of Jolt.
Speaker 2: This was like I read the script, it was in the second draft, and I loved it. I read the book as a kid. Okay, Bridger, I think we're done. Is there anything else you need to talk about?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Is there anything else pressing in my life where just nothing is happening? Uh, simply grasping for straws for anything to happen. I mean we've talked about PepsiCo tasty rewards. I mean I feel like Karen. While I have you here, I left something at your house recently that I'm going to have to get at some point.
Speaker 1: Bathing suit.
Speaker 5: And I've been dying to swim. I've been trying to get back to my swim lessons and I can't do it.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's only one suit for you, and it's Karen's. And we'll stay here and then this winter, you and I are going to go snowboarding, right, Richard.
Speaker 5: That's right. The last time I saw you, Chris, was I was getting a snowboard from you, which is sitting in my garage, and yes, we have to go snowboarding.
Speaker 1: I got a new one this winter.
Speaker 4: I haven't I didn't use it once, So don't feel bad if you were feeling bad about not.
Speaker 5: I was feeling mildly guilty. But also it was one of these situations where I, I mean, it was a huge move that I even came to get it from you. Yeah, were too far, too ambitious for me to think the next day I would be snowboarding.
Speaker 4: Well, I did give you broken bindings. They're not broken, there's not attached. There was a missing yeah, there's a missing toe piece, and I have not found that, but who needs it?
Speaker 5: That was years of build up to me even getting like making the move of getting a snowboard. So like the fact that that's been accomplished, things are really picking up for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the first most important step.
Speaker 1: Sorry, are you good at snowboarding?
Speaker 5: Because no, I'm competent. I mean the idea of Chris and I going together is terrifying because Chris is good, Chris is good on multiple board mediums, and I haven't snowboarded in probably a decade. So it's one of these situations where I'm like, sure, we'll go together, and then you're going to have to leave me. You're gonna have to abandon me almost immediately.
Speaker 1: That's when I you can go do pizzazz.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what is the snowboard equivalent. It's just like literally horizontally going down the hill, just a little side slip. Yeah, so me just kind of grinding down the side of a mountain while everyone zips past me. Well, I'll come back.
Speaker 4: I've given lessons and I can give you a little tips.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm ready to get back on the board. Yeah, I'll be there, pull off some major moves with.
Speaker 4: Bells on I wear bells for avalanche purposes.
Speaker 1: Smart Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. The ringing is coming from twelve feet down there, such a strong bell under snow bell.
Speaker 4: It's so hard to ring it with those thousands of pounds on your bind, but.
Speaker 1: I do it. I like that.
Speaker 2: You guys just made a plan for winter. Yeah, today was one hundred and eight.
Speaker 1: Doesn't that sound hopeful?
Speaker 5: Our bodies are crying out for it.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's what I just want to go out on a limb and say we're going to be doing stuff in six months.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's the positivity we rung around here. That's what I bring to the table. Butcher, thank you so much for being our guest today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, leur short notice and you are absolutely delightful.
Speaker 5: And the next time I see the two of you together will hopefully be soon. But also in a car.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can be in the car.
Speaker 5: It's the one prayer I say every night, please put do you need to ride back in a car?
Speaker 1: I really want to go there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It feels like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like there's a little normal normalcy waiting for us in the fall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fall winter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a promising day for being one hundred and twelve. Really, thank you Briden for being on our podcast.
Speaker 1: You've been really quick.
Speaker 2: You really And if you haven't listened to I said, no guests with Bridger Wineger. He has some of the greatest guests. I don't understand or know your booking system, but from day one Bridger has been booking high level guest Jimmy Kimmel has done it. Tony Hale, the funniest, funniest Tony Hale was on there, so Chris Fleming. So many good guests really and such such funny conversations.
Speaker 5: Two people currently hear Karen and Chris have both been on. Oh.
Speaker 4: It was an excellent episode. Excellent episodes. I am the Tony Hale of podcasting.
Speaker 5: It's been a very nice time. So if people feel like listening to it, they can. Yes, you know, I don't have a gun. I'm not holding anybody hostage here.
Speaker 1: No, no, either.
Speaker 5: But you can always listen to an episode for a few seconds, and if you don't, if you hate it, turn it off.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly the kind of Kurt.
Speaker 2: Distracted housewife energy you're going to get from that podcast. It's so it's a great way to start your morning. I do it almost every day week and I highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: I said, no gifts is Karen's breakfast.
Speaker 2: And also we share, I said no guests. Do you need to write shares a producer in an a lease.
Speaker 1: So that's right. That's a behind the scenes, we're kind of sister.
Speaker 4: Podcast, kind of a shared custody situation. This is a very incestuous moment in podcasting.
Speaker 2: It's true, and we're proud to forget to you.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to Do You Need a Ride?
Speaker 3: D y n a R. This has been an exactly right.
Speaker 1: Production produced by Analise Nelson.
Speaker 3: Mixed by John Bradley.
Speaker 1: Our talent booker is Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 3: Theme song by Karen Koberrek.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 2: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y n ar Podcast.
Speaker 4: For more information, go to exactly Rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh You're welcome, Hong Kong,