Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning. This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a slightly longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome Marcus Buckingham to Before Breakfast. Marcus is a longtime thought leader on leadership. He's a speaker. He is also the author of the new book Design Love In Marcus. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, Laura, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Very excited to have you. Why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a psychometrician actually by training, which means that I measure things about human beings that are really important but you can't count. So how do you measure strengths? How do you measure talents? How do you measure how satisfied or half you are with your life? All those kinds of things that kind of make life worth living. So I spent seventeen years with the Gallop organization and building something called strength Finder, which is all about how do you find out what your strengths are? And then, in the seventeen years since then, just built my own business focused on how do you help leaders to get the most out themselves and the most other people that they lead and the people that they serve.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, I know a lot of listeners have done the various strength finders' assessments over the years. So in the intro to your new book, to Design Love in you talk about coming to love as a topic, which we'll get to at a sec but at some kind of dark moments for yourself. I wonder if you could talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I've built my company over ten years focused on folks, on helping leaders to get the best out of the people that they lead. And we've built this lovely, entrepreneurial, passionate group of people who'd come together to serve our clients in a way that was very loving. I mean it was. It was the kind of environment where you have family member joining the company and everyone else who is friends feels like family. Everyone's sort of wearing company merch. It's all very passionate actually. And then because I believed in the mission so much, I sold the company in twenty seventeen to a much much larger fortune of average company that had three thousand salespeople. Because in my brain, I'm thinking, if you want to spread the mission quickly, you need a lot of smart friends. So a three thousand person sales person organization is enticing because of that. And yet over time, quite quickly, the passion drained away, the love drained away, And it wasn't It wasn't the bigger company's fault, per se. It was just when you get inside a big organization, other considerations start to dominate the conversation. It's the monthly returns, it's the quarterly earnings, it's the performance reviews, it's the run this by legals. And what happens with love passion isn't that. It's not like it gets killed. It just dies from neglect. You just start talking about other things. So for me, I saw up close and personal what happens when you don't make love. I know how to say that sounds I'm saying of it. If you don't make love the central organizing principle of how you do work, whether it's the employee side of things or the customer side of things, then it slips away and you wake up one day and you realize that nobody talks about it anymore, and everyone's just going through the motions of that day. And so that was the impetus of the book really is to go, wait a minute, there is life is too short for us to be going through the motions of the day to get through the day. So that was the impetus of the book. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, love is kind of a funny word for a business book, as I know, you know, and you kind of shied away from that word at the beginning, right, You kept looking for like synonyms that sound more business appropriate.
Speaker 2: Yes. Well, the first thing to see is that when you look at the relationship between an experience, let's say it's an employee experience, the relationship experience, and an outcome like profitability or productivity or loyalty, the relationship isn't and this is going to get a little datory, but the relationship isn't linear. It's curve linear, which means that if you've got a scale of one to five and the quality of the experience five being strongly agree and one being strongly disagree, moving someone from a two to a three experience or a three to a four experience doesn't drive their performance at all or their loyalty. It's really only when you get to a five strongly agree that you can see any kind of relationship to their next behavior. So when you look at extreme positive behaviors, the thing that drives them is extreme positive experiences, not fours, not threes, fives. And then when you dive into the fives and you go, what the heck of people saying when they say that they're having an extreme positive experience at work, in their day, in their life, what are they saying? Well, the word they actually say, the word we humans always say, which you want to extrive an extreme positive experience is love. We say I love that. Now, we say it about all sorts of things, Laura, we say it about I love those shoes, I love that movie, I love that song, I love my mom, I love that mentor so we use it in all sorts of interesting contexts. But when we're trying to explain something extreme positive, we pick the word love. And I kept hearing it as a researcher, and I kept trying to change it into things that were more palatable to the business world. Those so things like passion or joy or engagement or stray and those are good words, but they're not actually what the words that we humans use when we're trying to explain something that's extremely positive for us, the word we pick is love. And so as a researcher in the end, I just had to go crying out loud, Marcus. Just go with the word people are using. Let's explore it, let's be curious about it, because it's the only thing that drives behavior. So love is predictive of positive human behavior in a way that no other word is respect, learning, enjoyment, satisfaction, None of those predict what someone's going to do next. So if we want to be serious about actual, super productive human behavior, well we've got to go to the thing that causes it. And the thing that causes it is love.
Speaker 1: And how do you define love then, because people like again, you use it with all sorts of things. I love my mom, I love my job. We mean different things when we're saying that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so well, first of all, there's eight billion definitions of the word love, right, there's many as many definitions there are humans alive. And yet when you look at the data around the world, when people use the word love in China, we can predict their behavior. People use the word love in Argentina. We can predict their behavior. Wherever you go around the world, love is predictive. So there must be something common about that definition of love, even though every humans got their own definition. So in the end, if you push and push and push on that, what you bump into is this definition. Love is the deep and unwavering commitment of the flourishing of a human So if you think about their word flourishing, every single one of us as human beings feel that we've got something unique inside of us, and we want to get to the end of our life and feel that we've had some chances to express what's inside of us. If you've got kids, you want them to be able to express what's inside of them. And yet most of us go through life balled up like an armadillo with armor plating because the world's scary and frankly, it doesn't care that much about us. So we go through life balled up. Any time we bump into any sort of experience that allows us to take one plate of armor off, even if it's a small thing, like I love that outfit, I know it sounds silly, but if you feel more yourself, if you feel more fully yourself wearing that outfit, the word you pick is love. If you work for a leader who cuts through your performance review and allows you to stretch yourself in some way that expresses the best of you, use the word love. If you've seen a movie where a scene, or a character or some aspect of the movie helps you sort of explain your own experience to yourself a little bit better. You walk out of the movie and go, I love that. So in a way, love just means bigger any experience, no matter how small or how large, which lets us take the armor plating off a moment even and let's just take what's inside and put it out. The word we humans reach for to describe the specificity that experience is love, whether it's about a shoe or whether it's about a mom So there is something common about what we mean when we say love. And it's not like it's not lots and lots and lots of like. Love is just categorically different as an experience.
Speaker 1: Love isn't just more likes. Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and I'll be back with more from Marcus Buckingham. Well, I am back talking with Marcus Buckingham about how to design love in so we've been talking that, you know, people having love as a driving force. You know, we want to be a company that people love to work for, or you know, companies that are selling things want customers to love their products. But part of that is flourishing as humans. And you know, you talk about this a lot. So much of the world seems designed not for humans these days. I mean so much of what we experience in terms of you know, robocalls or you know, horrible customer experiences at a doctor's office or in an airline. I mean, it's like people forgot there were humans or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny we coming out with the word love. I thought the problem would be that people would go, oh love, that's not real, or oh love, come on. I thought they'd pushed back against the word love. But funnily enough, the word that people push back more on is experiences we humans we go through. Let's say you go to the doctor's office. That's an experience for us, and we as the human are going through that experience. You would have thought the doctors, let's say, would have designed an experience as though the whole human was going through it. But we don't. We design it for process. So in the doctor's office, there's a series of handoffs that you have from the person who's there as the receptionist or the person who that hands you off to one nurse, to another nurse, to the doctor, to a different nurse on the way out to and insurer, one handoff after another. If you call your bank, it's one handoff after another. If you call your airline, it's one handoff off another, call the insurance company it and we have to we as the human, have to contain the coherence of our own story, repeating our story, whether it's at the hospital, whether it's at the restaurant, whether it's at the bank. We're the ones who have to try to keep the coherence of our story together because the whole darn world we live in has not been designed for a coherent experience. It's one vertical process after another, and we're just handed off. The whole world's been designed transactionally, which is why, for the first time, by the way, in thirty years, we asked this question. I started doing this back in the early two thousands when I was still at Gallup. We were just measuring trust, trust in big business, trust in school RULs, trust in the government, trust in big media. Last year was the first year where not a single one of those institutions I've just mentioned had more than fifteen percent of people saying I strongly trust them. We are living in a world where we just do not trust the institutions that are a big part of our world, from schools to hospitals to banks. But we just don't think it's not built for us, because it's not. It's built for process and efficiency and transactionalism, and it feels terrible for us. It feels terrible when you call your bank. It feels terrible when you try to buy tickets for a Taylor Swift concert and she's outsourced the selling of tickets to Ticketmaster, who then gouge you. But by the way, which is why she took that back interestingly enough, because she did take the experience seriously and started, I think it's taylorswifticks dot Com to take it back in so that she could own the totality of the experience. But most experiences for us in our world are designed as though we aren't the human going through them and it feels rotten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you say that it's not so much that people are evil about it. I mean they're not. It's not immoral. It's just a moral right that it hasn't been considered to make a human being flourish, right.
Speaker 2: I mean. The simplest and the most banal example would be you go to a restaurant and the person who you made the reservation through, who is probably interactive voice response, by the way, which is not a relationship strategy. It's a containment strategy. That's what IVR is. You've made your reservation online. The person you bump into at the hostess down is not the same person whose voice you have been when you made the reservation. The person who seeks you is not the same person. The person you can order your drink from is not the same person. The person who then takes your order is not the person who brings you. The whole thing is designed to efficiently contain table four as efficiently as possible. It's not designed to go you're a human, you probably want to feel as that there's another human going through the experience with you who's probably thinking about you as having a holistic experience. Even something as banal as a restaurant isn't designed that way for you. And so we live in a world where trust is low, love is low. There's an experience which back in the late eighth nineteenth century, actually a very famous sociologist called Amil Durkheim coined to term an m which means alien nation. We live in a world which feels like it's blind to us humans as employees of work. We're not called employees. We're called full time equivalents FTEs or headcount. All of the human capital management systems that do our pay, that do our recognition, programs, that do our goal setting, those are all extensions of financial systems. All of our human systems are actually financial systems. And so we live in a world where of humanity. Even at school, if you think about it, the uniqueness of the student from the ages about zero to ten, the uniqueness of your child is kind of interesting to schools from ten onwards, it's how closely do you match up to the standardized testing that we're going to do all the way up through college actually, and the great point average of the seniors who graduate from the college. That's the preoccupation of schools, education at large, and then it continues at work. So and there are exceptions, that's beautiful leaders and beautiful managers and beautiful teachers who really get to know us as unique humans. But most of the world is set up to turn us from a human into a financial element of a transaction and more. With AI barreling down the track, we're going to get more of that, not less of that. And the point of this book is that's stupid. It makes very bad business sense. Why because love's the most powerful driver of productive human behavior for employees or for customers. So when you put systems in place that drive love out, you are undermining the behaviors that you want, whether it's productivity or loyal or advocacy or word of mouth or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: So let's say somebody is yeah, listening to this, and they are a manager of a team, and they're like, Okay, well, I may not be the CEO of a huge corporation, but I would still like people to love to work with me, yeah, right, and to help my team members flourish. What are some of the things that a manager can do to cultivate that within their team.
Speaker 2: Well, the simplest thing that you can do if you think about what's the handmaiden of love? Well, attention is the handmaiden of love. Humans don't do very well when we're ignored. Like, what's the opposite of love? Hate? No, the opposite of love is ignoring someone. So the simplest thing that a manager can do, which so many managers don't. But you know that put upon and the company's yanking them one way and another. But really, what you should do is check in with each of your people for fifteen minutes, one on one every week. It's the simplest thing. Are some two questions, and do it fifty two times a year. And the two questions are how do you feel about last week? And what are you working on this week? And how can I help? Do it fifty two times a year. It's fifteen minutes and you're not coming in with some amazing coaching tip every week, that's fine. What you're doing is giving someone the benefit of attention about the short term past. How was last week for you? Did you love it or loath it? What'd you love like? Seriously, go what'd you love about last week? And what's your loath? Okay, interesting, I'm right with you now. What's your focus for this week? How can I help? And you just keep doing that fifty two times a year. Then for all of you, but you and the rest of your team, what you'll be doing is establishing emotional harmony with your team, because, if you think about it, a year oscillates. Everybody goes through ups and downs and challenges, and what you want as a person on a team is just having a leader who pays attention to it. They don't have to fix it, they just have to pay attention to it every week. Now, maybe on some weeks you can tweak or adjust or course correct, but for most of us when we go to work, we feel unseen. So if you want to fix that, have a frequent light touch check in or conversation call or whatever you want, check in touch base. It turns out when you look at the modality, it doesn't matter. You can do it online, you can do it with an email, you can do it face to face, you can do it on the phone. What matters isn't the modality of it, Laura, it's the frequency of it. Do you repeatedly touch based on each of your people about the near term future every week. If you don't do that, by the way, that sounds boring to you to do, then you shouldn't lead people, because leading is actually individualized attention to the human and the work and the human and the work and the human and the work. Gosh, you do that fifty two times a year, you'll be in the top five percent of leaders in terms of the loyalty and the productivity you get from your people.
Speaker 1: And then one other thing you mentioned is is sort of paying attention to customs, which I know a lot of people listening to this show are very much into routines and rituals. Are there certain sort of rituals that good managers do in our to build love into their teams.
Speaker 2: Well, the two but by the way, every single leader, of course, I call it the ABCS of leadership Authenticity, beliefs, customs. So whatever your customs are, they better be authentic and they better be a manifestation of your beliefs. If you're trying to fake it. If your customs are just a manipulation, we humans can sort of sniff that out. So the C comes after the A and the B. Authenticity means we don't need you to be perfect, we need you to be you beliefs means don't assume that we can read your mind. What do you believe is deeply important to you? Tell us, help us know that because we can't actually dive into your heart. Customs would be like, what are the things that you repeatedly do that bring those first two to life? If you were to think about some super predictable ones that probably work for most leaders, although the way in which you do that might vary according to your style. First of all, catch people doing things right. There's a million different ways in which things can go wrong. Your goal as a leader should be to keep looking for excellence. And when you say good job, that is not the end of a sentence. It's the beginning of an inquiry. So when you say good job to someone, that should be the beginning of why did that work for you? Let's unpack that a little bit, why so that you can do it again, so that we can refine it or improve it. Let's look at the bits that worked. Because excellence in any job isn't just the opposite of failure. It's like you don't write a great poem by fixing all the dangling partibles or the split infinitives. So you as the leader. You've got to be really interested in what works. When it works, what works, catch people doing things right, not just to make them happier, but because that's the raw material for future greatness. Is current goodness, not current badness. So many leaders get kind of get drawn into remediation and fixedness. No, keep looking for what's right. And then another custom, which is do it once a quarter for yourself. I would suggest you actually don't want to quote it with each of your people, but start with yourself. Just take a black pad around with you for a week, draw a line down the middle of it right, loved it at the top of one column, and loathed it a top of the other. Take it around with you for a week. Any time you find some activity or interaction that you love, that you lean into, that you find yourself looking forward to. Time speeds up when you're doing it. Scribble it down and loved it column and in the loaded it when you see the opposite when you're procrastinating, when time drags on when you're doing it, Okay, scribble that down. Take an inventory of a regular week of your life and put it through the lens of love. I know again, I know that sounds a bit combin our. But really, what you're trying to do is use love as your decoder for what are the particular activities or situations that super energize you. No one else is going to do it for you. I actually call those lower red threads. Every job has thousands of different activities in it, and some of the threads are pretty neutral. You just got to do them. They're black, they're green, they're gray, whatever, you just got to do them. But some of the threads are red. These are activities that you love, and everyone's colorblind to your red threads. Even your mum, who may love you to the anth degree, doesn't know what your red threads are. She doesn't know what activities, moments, or situations super energize you. You do, You do know them. You're the wisest person about what you love in your life. Do love it, loath it once a quarter, and use the raw material of your own day or week to pinpoint where are my red threads. Because if you want a really really happy life at work or frankly life, you don't need a red quilt. There's research out of the Mayor Clinic which suggests you need twenty percent red threads twenty percent red threads.
Speaker 1: That's the equivalent of one day a week, right.
Speaker 2: Exactly, or twenty percent every day. But you don't need one hundred percent every day. You're never going to find a job you love like, that's just not real. But you can find the love and what you do that's different. That's doable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, Well, we're going to take one more quick ad break and then I will be back with Marcus Buckingham. Well, I am back talking with Marcus Buckingham, the author of the new book Design Love in So we've been talking about things that energize us, you know, as we go about our schedules. I'm curious about you your schedule. This is a time management podcast. So do you have any you know, rituals or things you do during your day that you think make you more productive.
Speaker 2: Well, not to be too subperfrentual, but I start The first thing is attitudinal. You've got to think to yourself, my day is my smartest, wisest, most loving friend, which I know sounds a bit silly, but so many of us look through the look at our days as something to get through the days. The enemy. It's a to do list that rolled over from yesterday, and I've got to get through the day, get through the list. And of course there is some part about this real, but I always start off every day. It's right now, it's early in my day. I start off and go, what red threads am I going to weave today? Because my trying to show me my day is trying to show me a whole bunch of threads, And it's basically saying to me, every day, is this one read? Is that one read? Is this one read? My Day's trying to help me find the energy that I need to be invigurated in my life. It's trying to if I would but listen. So for me, initially, it's always start off and go, what red threats will I leave today? Because if I don't set that intention around, what are the activities that I can seek out, linger on pay attention to. If I don't do it, no one's doing it. So every day for me starts that way. Over time, I end up writing, I mean, I've written down, you know, ten or so red threads that I know will invigorate me. They always do so for me, and it's going to sound boring, but one of my red threads is finding patterns in data. I love finding patterns in data. And if I let days go by and I don't do that, I don't sit with some data to go what does it mean? Which I know for some of your listeners, I'm sure sounds like pulling teeth.
Speaker 1: We love data over here. This is exactly how people spend their time, for instance, is fascinating. I love looking at data sets of thousands of people and how they spend their time.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely so for me, Like if you the moment you say the word data set and patterns, I just lean in. I just always have leaned in, and I'm just so I love doing that. I love, I mean turning it into narrative. I love turning data into narrative. So for me, that could be a podcast like this, by the way, which is I mean I'm loving like times fine by For me, I don't know how much time has gone by, but it could be three hours. I don't know. It's just whipping by. For me, I will deliberately seek out opportunities to Now. I can write, I can record, I can do it put. But any time where I can seek out an opportunity to tell a story from data, I'm going to lean in and see that out. So those sort of rituals for me give me some intention and control, not control over you or control over someone else, but gives me control over way in which I'm spending the time in my own days. That's hugely important. It gives me agency absolutely.
Speaker 1: Well, Marcus, I always ask my guest, So we've sort of been getting at this, but what is something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome?
Speaker 2: Well that's a jolly good question. I mean, for me, the challenge in a day is always that it doesn't like no one who's calling you knows you the way that you know you. So for me, every day has to start off and it's not really like something I did that is special about a particular day. For me, every day's got to be do you want to take love seriously in your own life? Marcus? Do you want to make sure that that day today you're feeling a little bit more full of yourself today as compared to yesterday. So, for I mean, I'm not saying I have every single day is an awesome day. But once you understand that love is your decoder and that love is available, activities that you love interactions that you love, situations that you love that are so specific and unique to you. Once you understand that that's there every day, then I don't know. For me, it feels like every day is being designed by me to have a lot of love in it, and that is awesome. I mean, I'm sorry to sound too woo woo.
Speaker 1: That works for me. We're going to design love into our days as well in order to take them.
Speaker 2: Just some great one quick thing about that, Laura. The opposite of design. I've been thinking about a lot about this because of the book. But what's the opposite of design? What happened with my company, what happens to so many people in their lives is drift. When you don't design, you drift. And sometimes you're lucky, you have a great day, but in a world which is pulling you and pushing you this way and that, which doesn't really think about your flourishing very much at all. In fact, as we talked about, it sort of ignores your flourishing. You can drift a long way from the authority and the energy that you need to have a full life. It's not bad, it's just you've drifted. And so design feels like the right word to say, no, no, no, let's bring it back. We're all designers. You can design experiences in your own life that invigorate you, and it's up to you to do it because no one else.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, absolutely, it's all about being intentional with our time, our lives, everything we are doing. So, Marcus, where can people find you?
Speaker 2: Well, rather unsurprisingly, probably got a design loove in dot com, which is the book site. We've just launched the pre orders of the book and we're doing this masterclass series for folks with the book with the Harvard Business Review who's the publisher, So Design Love in dot Com would be great. And then my various socials I'm always pottering about, trying to be helpful and thought provoking for folks.
Speaker 1: Excellent, Well, Michaus, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback about this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.