Speaker 1: Wind Down with Janet Kramer and I'm Heart Radio Podcast.
Speaker 2: So it's obviously Mother's Day on Sunday, and I feel like I had one of those epic failures today that oh I left the bus stop and I just like sat in my car and just like bawled my eyes out because oh man, shit.
Speaker 1: When you have those moments, man, it's hard.
Speaker 2: Not today, it's like with the kids, I felt like I disappointed her. Oh shoot, it's okay, but it's like, you know, it's like one of those things where, oh my god, I'm gonna stop. It's just when my when I feel like I upset my kids, it's like, oh, you guys like it and it's over, like and I'll just say it like it's over something that would be like so silly to you guys, you know, even to hear. But like a week ago, Jully goes, so it's field day to day. So she's like, hey mom, but she's like field day shirts and I'm like yeah, yeah, yeah, my gosh. I just I've gone to every single field day. I have not missed a field day, like zero percent have missed it. Have always gone. I mean there's been three of them, but still I was like, I will not miss a field day. I just want to like show up for maker, you know, like I just it's just important to me, like I go to Icy her lunch whatever. So the shirt thing I just totally forgot. And then last night I was like, hey girl, and sometimes like you know what when you order something like I ordered already Jas's kindergarten packet, which don't even get me started on kindergarten with Jas or I will immediately like I got his packet in the mail, and it was just like nope. And so normally like I've already ordered their field trip shirts like for next year, and then I believe there's field dawn there too. Long story short, I guess I forgot this year. And so last night, Jolie's like, Mommy, I just I know that there's a field day shirt, and I'm like, well, listen, honey, there's going to be so many kids that do not have their field day shirt. While we pull up to the bus stop and everybody has on their field day shirt, and I look straight at her because she clocks it immediately, and I look right at her and she just starts bawling, and I was like, oh my gosh, honey, honey, honey. I was like it's okay. I was like, you're gonna get to school and there's gonna be a couple people that probably won't have shirt. Like it's okay, Like.
Speaker 3: Jesus name, at least one own her.
Speaker 2: I was like please, And so I'm like come on. I was like it's you're gonna be okay, and like you still have your shirt on and like everything's going to be fine. And you know, she gets out of the car, and I mean she goes and stands by herself, like out of the group, you know, and already just like starts, you know, even more crying. And then I call over Maria and I was like please, Pam's daughter. I was like, please help me sell but this one. And Mariy's like, okay, I got it. Like she's like thirteen going on thirty. Bless her. So she goes over and starts to console her two and you know, we're all trying to like help her and be like it's okay, it's okay. Meanwhile, I'm doing crisis duty, like I'm texting the teacher going like dear God, I don't know how I miss this, you know, I totally messed up, like can you is there anybody? I was like, I'll pay whatever, like or I'll make it. I don't even how much time do I have, Like I know what time field days are, but like I just I can't have her get to school and be like the only person I thought a shirt on. And so she's like, Okay, I'm gonna call some PTO moms and then she she got on it and then you know, we tried to make her feel a little better, but it was so hard when like everybody, so it's just she leaves and I could see her like disappointed look, and I just got into my car and I just like bald because I'm like, she's not going to remember that I go to every field day. She's going to miss the one that I forgot the field day shirt.
Speaker 4: And as a mom, I'm like, oh, that like.
Speaker 2: Just like made me so sad. But luckily I got a photo of her wearing the shirt, so I was like, oh, I was like damn, but I started crying again. I was like, but it's just like when you feel like you like I was like, how did I miss this? So the email was sent to me when I was filming the movie. So I just overlooked it. But it was like God, I'm like, you can do awesome things and show up, but it's that one thing that's like to disappoint your kid. I'm like, oh god, this is like it kills me as a parent. So like Happy Mother's Day, I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh, we've all done. I mean, I've forgotten field trip shirts, I've forgotten the Chick fil A that they order every whatever. I mean, it just not to discount it. I feel the same way. Don't you get that too, Like what oh, yeah, for sure, but it gets to be more often. There's so many emails from school as there's so many emails afterwards.
Speaker 2: Well some thing I called Pam afterwards and I was just like, I'm like crying, and she's I was like, I saw the look in her face and she's just like she's like, you know all the emails that come there, like there are so many many emails, and there's.
Speaker 3: So many days and theme days and Spirit Day and this day, and well, I know, but.
Speaker 2: I feel back. I keep saying, like I feel like I'm falling flat because or I'm forgetting things because my excuses, Well, I have the baby, and though it is a giant, you know, reason why I'm kind of letting things slide, you know, missing things like that or I put in the wrong field for soccer, or this or that and the other. Like I just i feel like I'm moving a lot with the three now. It's just it's a lot, sure or what it's worth.
Speaker 3: Last year and I didn't have the baby yet, we got to school and it was pajama day and we were the only ones in a uniform, and so I just pulled love aside and I was like, hey girl, so a couple of quick things. I was like, today's pajama day, and I forgot. So we have two options. You can come with me and we can run to target like we are on fire and we can eliminate this. And we can send you in and you get new pajamas. Or you can go in and I can bring them to you and we can change. I'll be back within like a half hour and I can we can change. And she was like I think I'll go in, and I was like okay, And then I got in the car and cried because I'm like I forget. But like there's so many things floating even before the baby. There was things floating?
Speaker 2: Well, I just wonder like what the kids are because I always think back. I'm like, all right, what did I remember as a kid, And so I think, you know, as I reflect on Mother's Day, I'm like, you know, I'm just I think, as long as you show up and you love and but it's just those small moments to me just seem so vivid in my past memory that I'm like, oh, I mean, I think we.
Speaker 1: Put too much pressure on ourselves. We can't get it all right. And as long as you're showing up, I think that that's what they're going to remember. I remember that most I didn't show up, but I remember, you know, but like that's a that's that's to me, it's the big thing, is showing up and being there. I think that they're going to remember that more than that little moment.
Speaker 3: I also think that I never got modeled for me what it was like to like pivot. Well, so like I try to like really go Like it's not that I didn't make a mistake or how quickly like I do go, how quickly can I fix it? But more so just like and I'm emotional today too, So this is just all very unbranded right now. But I do think it's like me saying I forgot this, which is just human no matter what it is, kids, work, whatever, And also this is my two plans to fix it, and like what makes you feel most comfortable, and like we'll do it together. And now she even will say, you remember that time you forgot pajama Day and I got brand new pajamas and I was like, I do it's great ant slippers just because guilt is a real thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's lessons in all of it. But yeah, I just think we're hard on ourselves. I mean, every time I disciplined my child, I end up like feeling bad every time. And how much do I've got three kids? I disciput them a lot. Oh, and I always feel bad and like almost always cry.
Speaker 2: So how are you going to celebrate yourself this Mother's Day? Then?
Speaker 1: I have no idea what we're doing for Mother's Day.
Speaker 3: I don't either. I don't either, even Yeah, I like that about all of us right now. I'm great with that. I know what I'm not doing. I learned a long time ago. I am not hosting my mother in law or my mother for Mother's Day. I used to be the one that made us all feel included, and I quickly realized that it made it was not by anything that they did. I just felt ended up feeling resentful because I've always had like little kids, and I feel like at the end of it, I feel tired and like I well celebrated them, but also just didn't get a moment arrest. And it's kind of like my one day year to really like plant the flag and say like I'm going to rest a little. So we're just like his mom came this past weekend, and then my mom comes next week, and it's just very like I get this moment in time to just I mean good, tired.
Speaker 4: Yeah. There's three of.
Speaker 3: Them and they're amazing, beautiful, happy, loving work, and I'm just a little bit like could use a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, I don't. I think we're just I just want to I just love being with them. You know, I don't even care what we do. I don't mean to say I think I used to put a lot of pressure on it because I would want I think because the situation that I was in with like my ex or whatever, I think I would want him to do something really special for me. And so it always fell flat because it wasn't good enough, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So you had your expectations.
Speaker 2: Well, I had expectations, and I just thought that I would be like celebrated because I wasn't so like in the like I would think like, and then that was unfair to him. But yeah, I would put on this like expectation that it was like. But now I'm like, there is no expectations. It's just I just want to chill and relax and maybe have one hour to like read my book on the screen and porch an hour of nice, which could be during nap.
Speaker 3: That's fun, right and likely to be interrupted, but still amazing.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, what's fun on with you?
Speaker 4: Kat?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 4: I missed you.
Speaker 2: Last week, kit Kat? I love you.
Speaker 1: Oh. I was in Disney Living.
Speaker 2: Which I love. At your posts. You just posted your like it doesn't You're not gonna remember the money, You're gonna remember the memories. And Disney's so expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and we just went for two days and Herst was covered because for the competition they they are you know, they get those tickets. But I just try really to live by that as much as my husband doesn't love that, but like that's just so important to me to just have the memories, the money, you'll go away. Life's too short, and it's you know, I literally just found out. Actually this is really sad, but I just found out that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, but it's really.
Speaker 1: Like made me. I've always felt that way, but it's made me even more. A high school boyfriend, not high school, middle school, high school boyfriend. I just found out when I got back passed away. And he's got two little kids and you know, a wife, and I just ran into his mom a little less than a year ago and just adored his family all the things. And it's just hit me in this weird way, so young, so young. I don't know what happened, which is, you know, none of my business, but it just feels just odd, like it's not my business. I'm not close to him anymore, but like what happened, Like how did you know? And it's just I don't know. It's just hit me in a very odd way, like life is so short, you know, And he's got these little kids and I know we say that all the time, but and I've been living that way. I've been trying to live that way, and it's just really kind of solidified what's important in my life. And that's a lot of why I you know, kind of posted that, like take the trip, make the memories. You know, the kids are living their best lives right now, so am I because that's what that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what matters too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's about it.
Speaker 2: That's sad.
Speaker 3: I'd be devastated if my high school boyfriend died. I loved him so much.
Speaker 1: It's like a weird like I mean again, it was like eighth ninth grade, so I wasn't in love with him, but I loved him.
Speaker 2: You know, I still, like I will always have love You'll always have love for like I will always have love for I don't love him anymore, right, I will always have love for my high school sweetheart, Like he was a really big part of my adolescence. Yeah, and my first love. Yeah, you know, so how can you not? And I know it's just like still oh she used to, but like she's she still loves her first love. Like they even you know, talked for a second there. You know.
Speaker 3: It's like you guys, it's like strawberry wine, your first taste of love.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, I saw her on the plane on the way back from Florida, and I was like, I love you.
Speaker 2: I would just started humming the song.
Speaker 1: I literally text my friends were getting on like look to the left car.
Speaker 2: It's like, and you saw Chris Kardashian and that one was baked. She was like, came, I did cats such a solid she did. She comes back to the table we were and we were in we were at Casa Vega on Ventura Boulevard and Studio City, and she's obsessed with the card. Well she was is was okay, yeah, it was this just did.
Speaker 1: I mean, I might still watch the show, but definitely it was outgrew a season. That's okay for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, so she was a big Kardashian fan. And I saw Chris Jenner and what did I do again?
Speaker 1: You came back to the table and you go, Okay, this is what you're gonna do. You're gonna like you you're gonna pretend like you have to go to the bathroom and you're gonna go that way, and you're gonna look to your left because Chris Jenner setting over there.
Speaker 4: And I was like okay, and I.
Speaker 1: Just stared at her. Never say anything, but I did definitely stare at her.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of reality, we have got Emily Simpson and she's got any podcast, so let's take a break and get her on.
Speaker 3: Hi Emily, Hi, how are you good?
Speaker 4: How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh? We're good. How are you popping off right now? What is what like? So you've got the new podcast and so what is what is your favorite thing to kind of pop off on that?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean right now we're just recapping vander Pump Rules and the Valley, and I will be honest, I have never really been a reality TV watcher as far as like the bravospear that I'm in, Like, I always like Ninety Day Fiance and things like that, but I never actually watched Housewives or vander Pump. So this is my I don't even watch Orange County, just to be honest. So me watching these shows, I'm like, oh, I get it now, Now I understand why people watch this stuff.
Speaker 4: It's it's good. I like it.
Speaker 2: That is funny when you do rewatch back a show. When I had started a few episodes of wun tre Hill, I'm like, oh, yes, it's actually like a this is a good show. It was way too the episodes, so I stopped. But but yeah, I mean, and obviously Teddy's you guys are friends, so that's yeah, lovely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think really what happened was so when Tamer went to do Traders, I filled in for Tam or with Teddy, and then I think Teddy and I just just organically had really good chemistry together. So then I think just us doing popping off was like a natural, organic kind of segue into doing something together just because I think we just work well together. So yeah, that's how that happened. I mean, I don't know if I actually really like her all that much.
Speaker 1: But so you didn't actually watch vander pump Rolls though before you started doing the podcast, correct.
Speaker 5: No, I did not, And I mean, I'm sure like there's a lot of times where I have to, like producers help fill in the gaps with that happened in the past, which I appreciate. But I also feel like it's interesting to have a completely new perspective on everyone when you don't have that ten years prior, like I have very I would say hardline like opinions about some of the cast members, and it would probably be different maybe if I had watched ten years previously, but just coming in this season, I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to ask, Like, did you go back and watch all of it or you just started from this season?
Speaker 5: No, I just started from this season. I mean, honestly, if I had the time to do that, I would have. But I mean we just filmed Orange County for the past four months, so it's not like I had time to sit around and watch ten years worth of VPR. But I mean, now I would. I would do that now we finished filming, so I've I've got some free time on my hands now, ladies.
Speaker 3: So is it strange to watch those shows because you've walked and you know, the reality Like just watching anything, I think when you've been on the side of the camera that you have has got to be different.
Speaker 2: Is it harder?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 5: I think when I watched it, I'd probably just watch it with a different perspective than the average watcher. I think people watch it just from a public perspective and just think that's all it happened, and that's all that was said. And it's a very linear type of thinking. Obviously, because I've filmed a reality show for six years, I do realize that there's probably other conversations that took place, that there's probably producers interacting. Sometimes we'll even speculate like I feel like this is a pickup scene because it doesn't really seem like it flows like it should. Just just a perspective like that.
Speaker 3: That's really incredible, do you because I kind of feel like I feel that way too, when you know what you know and then you just I mean, they make so much drama off of pieces of the story. I just find it, like, I just find it very interesting that you can see that, and that's like America can't. So do you guys talk about that on the podcast? Like what is the meat and potatoes of popping Off?
Speaker 4: I feel like it's really a definitely a recap.
Speaker 5: I mean, we do some highlights of just Bravo related news in the beginning, just what's going on outside of what they show on the show, and.
Speaker 4: Then we do do a recap.
Speaker 5: But I think the perspective that Teddy and I bring is that we've both been on a reality show. So I think that we do a deeper dive into what possibly happened behind the scenes, what's going on, what the thought process is why something like that happened, why they showed what they showed. So, you know, I think it's a different perspective than just your average housewife or Bravo blogger, etc. Who watches it just from an entertainment perspective. I think Teddy and I are able to do maybe a deeper dive.
Speaker 3: Do you'all have guests on the show, and if so, who is your dream guest?
Speaker 5: Well, we have so far, so we just started a couple of months ago. This is a very new podcast. We did have Katie from a VPR and I guess I don't know. Maybe I would say maybe like Arianna would be a dream guest, but I mean that would never happen. I don't think she's saying much of any She's too busy. She's too busy making money, cash and checks, doing endorsements.
Speaker 2: Okay, So how do you, personally from being on those shows handle negative comments?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: If Shane was here, he would like pop in and be like, she handles it horribly because he always tells me, he says, why do you read the comments? Why do you engage? Why do you argue? Why do you fight back? I get it. He's right, like you should just really you should just throw things out there and let people say whatever they want to say and not feel the need to comment. I think it's the attorney in me that feels the need to respond. And when I respond, man, I will just take somebody down. And so I don't know I enjoy that. I just you know, I don't understand. For me, I really don't understand the amount of women out there who get on Instagram and scroll through their feed and feel the need to just take the time to comment negative things on someone whatever they post. I mean, I've never felt compelled to do that, So I don't understand that other than there's some need within them to, you know, try to make themselves feel better. So I have to try to think of it that way, but it's hard. I like to argue, I enjoy it actually.
Speaker 3: Solid need for justice, which is love what makes you a good lawyer. Then right, well, I mean I can make a point, yes, I mean I do.
Speaker 5: I like to I like to take like nail it and hit it home. And sometimes I like to take their comments and like put them in my.
Speaker 4: Story and tag them.
Speaker 5: And you know, sometimes I if they really irritate me, I'll go find them on LinkedIn and if there's like an employer email, like I would, I would email their employer possibly and let them know what kind of person this is.
Speaker 2: So that's why I don't think I could ever do a real housewife show, just because I could not handle the comments.
Speaker 5: People ask me all the time, like, what's it like making you know, real housewives? I love making the show. I like sharing my life. I like, you know, when things have to do with it with Shane, my marriage.
Speaker 4: My children. I don't mind sharing that. I enjoy it.
Speaker 5: The hardest part about being on a reality show is when the show airs and the backlash comes, and you know, honestly, I don't even remember things that I said or did. And then all of a sudden, you know, you look in your notifications are thousands, and you know women are just like, I hate you, you suck.
Speaker 4: I hope you're fired. You should have never said that. Why did you act like that? Why did you do that? And I'm thinking this was six months ago.
Speaker 5: I don't even remember what I said or did, and it I probably had too many espresso martinis. And you know, we're in a situation that isn't normal per se I mean, you know, it's four months, it's a lot, it's a lot of women were from activity to activity to activity, and I just, I just, I guess I don't understand the backlash, like why can't people just watch it from an entertainment perspective without getting so I guess invested and angrily invested.
Speaker 4: That's the part that I don't understand.
Speaker 3: Well, we live in a wild world where people have accessibility, right like in a normal like pre I mean, maybe this is showing my age, but like pre social media, for you twenty year olds, there was a time where we had to use a landline, like you wouldn't even be able to reach out to you, which is just crazy that they think like because they can, they do, which is just also wild to me.
Speaker 5: I know, I was actually I always think about when Orange County first started. It was like two thousand and five and there was no such thing as Instagram, and I always think back to how amazing that must have been to be able to just film a reality show. They take it, they throw it out there and then you don't know what people think until you know what I mean, until they do their marketing analysis or whatever, and then they're like, Okay, we're going to bring you back and make another show, and you're like great, yay. I mean, you have no idea what people in their homes and water coolers are saying. But now that we're in this digital realm, it's like, I know what Susie and Idaho thinks of me. She's told me eight thousand times and DM me and tagged.
Speaker 2: Me and she's probably in mind too. How I'm just like, you know, the worst are the most narcissistic, married million times? Oh, I mean you watch a showcat so it's like, you know, have you ever had the urge to be like to know? And how was not that you ever slide in? But I'm just saying, like.
Speaker 1: I just say that because our love housewives and stuff, But I cannot think of a certain person that I've ever I've been like, yeah, she's not my favorite, she's boring. Maybe you know I might have thought that or how dare you have that judgment?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: But I have never because it's entertainment and it's it's just entertainment to me, you know what I mean, Like everyone's different. I like to see the different personalities and how they and then it makes me feel more normal when you see the like you know, I don't know, it's I don't I will never understand the negativity though it is.
Speaker 5: It's such I always say it's such a double edged sword because social media can be so amazing that you have access to things that you never had access to before. You can see what people are doing all over the world. And I mean, my daughter's eleven and she knows every beauty product there is possible. When I was eleven, I was growing up in Ohio and if I could just get my hands on a teen magazine like that was my only access to anything outside of Middletown, Ohio. So there is I mean, there are really cool things about it. But the downside that you know, I said, double edged sword, the downside is just then you also open yourself up to such negativity and bitterness and hate.
Speaker 4: And it's not just me.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I feel like it's just me, But then I look at other people's page and I'm like, oh good, it's not just me.
Speaker 4: Your kid.
Speaker 2: Do you have three kids?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: Yes, my daughter's eleven. Then I have twin boys that are nine.
Speaker 3: So how do they have How is navigating having kids? And I mean, you're famous right, and you're known. How does how does that compute in their world at nine and eleven.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, I say, like quasi famous, so I don't think it's like like a heightened level of face.
Speaker 3: I listened Suzi and Idaho as a passion about you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Famous, Yeah, you're famous.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It never was an issue with my kids because they were always so young, Like I don't even think they understood that I was on TV.
Speaker 4: When the film Cruise would come.
Speaker 5: They just thought it was fun because there were more people in the house, so they would just run around and play with like the camera guy and stuff. I feel like this year they were actually cognizant that, like, oh, Mom's on TV, because my boys would tell me that at school they would google me and I was like, what are you talking about, and they're like, you know, with our friends, they got on our computers, we'll google you and look at photos of you. And we saw one and I'm like, oh my gosh, okay, Like now.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's changing a little bit bit.
Speaker 5: And Annabel is now eleven and she filmed with me pretty often, and I realize that now she understands that, like she films with me.
Speaker 4: People watch it.
Speaker 5: She gets embarrassed about like what we do when we're filming. There were a couple of times where she like throws a tantrum and walks out, and I'm like, oh, great, that's gonna work out really well for me with all the you know, the perfect parents out there that are gonna talk about what a spoiled brat my child is. But you know, that's the other thing is, like people don't understand that these kids are in these circumstances where there's an entire film crew in our house and they're there for hours and hours and hours, and they might film for an entire hour and then show a one minute segment of something, But they don't they don't realize, you know, how it disrupts the kid's normal routine. And yeah, they might look bratty, but it's because it's it's a lot for them sometimes, you know.
Speaker 3: Do you have any say or like creative direction when it comes to that, Like can you say I don't want that piece?
Speaker 5: The always I actually I'm really if you could ask anyone, I'm one of like the easy people. I always say, the only reason they hire me back is just because I'm like show up on time, and I don't give anybody any crab like I never complain. So they're probably like, let's just hire Emily again cause she's just really easy, like she's a bitch about anything.
Speaker 4: But I do.
Speaker 5: The only time I really ever say anything is when it does come to the kids. Sometimes I feel like they'll have, you know, all these different beats like we want to get this, we want to get this conversation, we want to see this, we want to hear this, And sometimes I have to be like, look, guys, my kids are nine and eleven, Like they're not interested. Annabel's not going to have an in depth conversation about how she feels about something. It's just not gonna it's not going to happen. And so that's really when I put my foot down on things. But that's really it. Other than that, I'm like, I'll do it, okay, whatever you want.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't imagine having a true in depth conversation like I have a twelve year old daughter with my daughter on TV. I don't even know how that would It doesn't.
Speaker 5: I mean I've I've had asked before, but they're like, why don't you sit down with Annabel and talk about this or talk about something like this. And I made an attempt and she literally just started quoting something she saw on TikTok like while I was talking to her, and I was like this, this is ridiculous, Like I can't, this doesn't It's hard enough.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's hard enough in real life to get them really talking, you know, I mean much less with a whole I cannot even imagine.
Speaker 2: It feels like a whole.
Speaker 3: It's its own whole series, like anat GEO series, like your eleven year olds in the wild. Like can you get them to even have a connected conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'd have to like not know the camera's there or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, Emily, thank you so much for coming on. Appreciate just I've always loved I said, but before we interroed you, I'm like, you've been on. We love you you just You're very sweet. I love following you on Instagram, I love hearting your staff and thanks you and being the being the positive comments hands in.
Speaker 4: All right, Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Everybody listen to her new podcast with Teddy Popp in Fun iHeartRadio channel or wherever you listen to your podcast. H