Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys. This is Nick Shot screaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: And the Official Dallas Cowboys APT And.
Speaker 3: Now your hosts Mickey Spagnola, Everson Wolves, Nate Newton, and Bill jonestssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
Speaker 4: And then we'll get the average.
Speaker 5: Well, I feel like there's a pretty good tempo. I think there's a good competition. I think the coaches are doing a good job of regulating the situations and really putting these guys in in in different environments and to where they have to respond based upon whatever situation, strategy, situation they're in. Down the distance, you know, a number of timeouts, you know, field of possession, you know they had I think that towards the end of practice they had a little situation where they had points, a point system going on between defense scores, so many points if the you know, if they if they have a four nine, you know, fourth down hold versus a field goal or whatever it may be. So I think the guys are responding well. Nobody's out here being reckless. That's one of the things I know that as former players that we look for these guys, you know, taking care of each other, feeding, making sure they have their fits, make sure they're punching the ball out on defense, you know, ball security on offense, and you don't want to see guys on the ground.
Speaker 6: But overall, I think it's been.
Speaker 5: Pretty well, except for a couple of couple of balls that didn't make it through the goal.
Speaker 2: Post man, and we will get to that. I bring up that right there, man, he kick it. But I was impressed because this is the fourth day where the temple was good. Normally, you the first few days is real shabby, you know, and then the coaches have to get on them to pick it up, pick it up, and by the time the scrimmage come, the temple will be a little bit better. Well, this temple has been holding pretty steady and pretty consistent, and I like that. Now the first few days our offense, I'm like, WHOA. I was taken back because normally the defense takes over early. But it's reversed and our defense is starting to really clamp down. So I had a few talks with a couple of defensive guys. I said, did y'all go at their players? They said nah, they said, as these guys get comfortable and this guys see where the competition coming from. Guys are starting to pick up their games. Now, Isaiah said, it wasn't wasn't reckless. I think we had one guy that you know, went out of line. I can't think of what it was and he almost had a hissy fit if you can say that on air. But you know what mistakes happened, Isaiah, he just bumped into it.
Speaker 4: Well I don't know if you call it a bump, but.
Speaker 2: He bumped into him. Jimmy would have say, hey, that's just hey, that's just a third up.
Speaker 5: You know, almost got only one fight in my entire career, and it was something like that. It was from a safety by the name some dude by the name of Roy Williams.
Speaker 6: Shot in practice almost I saw Red Mick.
Speaker 7: And they always seem to do it with a number that you have to look up the name, right, poor young guys, the dude.
Speaker 2: The dude feeling that pressure. Man, the competition is so great at safety and that d lineman where you're gonna see guys taking shots on quarterbacks. You're gonna see guys taking shots at receivers. You're gonna see it.
Speaker 7: I tell you what what has impressed me is how competitive it's been. And you mentioned how the offense got off to a good start the defense start catching up.
Speaker 4: But for the last couple of practices, I think it's been both way.
Speaker 7: You see the offense play well and at the same time the defense play well. So if I'm the head coach, I'm happy about that, except for the head coaches, the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: See the thing about it with the offense, you got guys that are flashing big this year. You know the Brook kid, he's flashing big, A young I can't think of it's bast he's doing Okay, richardson the other guard, the draft it, they're doing it. They're just showing flashes. But it's no consistency. The defense is starting to roll and it's consistent. It's consistent, and we know number eleven. Thanks to you, we can't even get at one out of every three plays is a blow up because of you stop it and.
Speaker 7: You can't really you can't really evaluate the tackles right, thank you, because he's doing that to everybody across the league.
Speaker 5: He's making their job easier when the preseason game show right, yes, sir, yes, sir, other people are gonna look like they're moving this low motion.
Speaker 7: Because you're trying to sit and evaluate where Tyron Smith is right, you know, because it's been a while, Sey, and it's been at left tackle right, you know, even though he's done it for all these years. You know, he missed two thirds of the season, maybe three quarters of the season last year. No, no, you know, missed at the end of training camp and then he gets back and he plays right tackle, and so now he's back at left tackle.
Speaker 4: And to me, part of this.
Speaker 7: Training camp was to see can he handle left tackle right right?
Speaker 4: You know, he's the thirteenth season. Is he ready to do that?
Speaker 7: Because otherwise you got to put Tyler Smith out there, and he's been fine except for those rushes from Parsons right, and then you're sitting there going.
Speaker 4: But again he does that to everybody.
Speaker 2: The thing that is the thing as an offensive player, and the thing that I've been coached by Tony Wise and Hussein Hawkin, guys such as that ill is when we play against great players like that are pright against the Charles Haley or Leon Lett that had exception of long lawns, you know, and coach technique. You still have to trust in your technique, and now that never give up. That's why it really kicks in. You got a technique techniquet finished. Even though these guy's blowing by you one hundred miles, you still gotta know that technique, technique technique, get your hands on him and fight as best you can, because, like Isaiah said, once you get those guys are one in every fifteen, so you ain't gonna play with them guys maybe twice a year. So you just got to be trust in your technique, all right.
Speaker 7: The kickers, I think that caused everybody to kind of taken back that they had that bad of a day after they've been.
Speaker 2: Great, after they've been great. Bruh.
Speaker 7: I mean the young well, he's not a young kid his first year, he's a rookie. Brandon Aubrey probably has been the most consistent of the two with Tristan Viscayano, and both guys just struggled. Now I understand what they did. They made them kick into the wind, and it was towards you, guys, where you were sitting when you're on the field, you don't feel the wind, but up there in those trees, it swirls and and they were consistently missing left.
Speaker 4: I think I saw one miss right. I think it was off of the upright.
Speaker 7: But everything was left and and Aubrey missed and we were left and you were left right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Aubrey missed his first. It was a it was a extra point basically thirty three yards. Uh when they and then he made six, five of the last six of the last seven, so he he kind of got it back together. But then when they did thunder, which is they run out there in a hurry, killing right with no no with the clock running and time running out in the pieriod, he struggled and he was the only one that made. They were one of six. He was one of three, and this Guyano was z of three. And it was like, oh my, And I think that got the attention maybe of the front office. It's like, okay, we got to see what happened if they kicked today.
Speaker 4: We got to see how they come back.
Speaker 7: Because in that part of it, you got you have a bad day, now, can you correct yourself?
Speaker 6: Yeah? You gotta be able to bounce back.
Speaker 5: I mean, but at the end of the day, first of all, let us apologize because I know from where Nate and I were sitting along with Bill Johnson Kyle we we didn't have the TV shot, so apparently on the live stream they had it overhead. So if we were up there guessing in terms of how far the field goal was, right, we didn't have.
Speaker 6: The great perspective.
Speaker 5: But in terms of that competition, it's not what you want to see. Man, you think about it from an office of perspective. You know, as a former quarterback, receiver, tight end, whatever you want to call me, you're all about moving those chains and everything you're doing is trying to get the ball down into scoring position. Now, you like to walk away with six, right, and like, obviously that's that's that's your goal as an offense. But sometimes you gotta take the three. But when you get in that position, you expect the three. You're not hoping for the three. You don't want to wish the three. You expect the three. And for somebody that's in there banging every dog on play there with the big fellas working their way down the line of screens. I know that you want to walk away with some points. Otherwise all that work you just did was for nothing.
Speaker 2: I just you know, I don't believe in curses and all spells and all of that, but it's something about that goal post down there. It ruined like four kickers last year this year. You know, best to side with the Cowboys after they break training camp. If you go to that field goal you do, it's over.
Speaker 7: So when they when they initially kicked there, they were supposed to kick seven. Uh, Viscayano got an extra one because the snap would and by the way, some of those snaps weren't very good from sick Is.
Speaker 4: That how you say it?
Speaker 2: I don't know, man.
Speaker 7: He had one that came out the snap came in flat, and uh, I know, as a kicker you've got to be able to kick right regardless. But it came in flat. The hold was late and it it so they gave him another one.
Speaker 6: So the operation was bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the operation.
Speaker 7: And then during the thunder part, uh, he had one that was real high to Aubrey and it threw him off.
Speaker 4: So so the.
Speaker 6: First a long snapper desks, well he's got it.
Speaker 7: And this is a new operation, right, new kicker and new new deep snapper.
Speaker 4: The only thing the same is the anger as the holder. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So the first series of kicks, they were between thirty three and forty eight.
Speaker 2: You're talking about all together not not cluing the end zone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thirty three yards and forty eight yards. That was the range.
Speaker 7: So miss So Aubrey was five of seven and this Guyana was four of eight. And then when they did the thunder, they each had a couple that were fifty yards and they Aubrey tried to power one through and he and he hit like I'm gonna kick this harder.
Speaker 5: All of them had distance. It's like one right, as I remember, I think one of them came up. The rest of them had plenty of it.
Speaker 7: They had distance, but they were going left right, and I when I was talking somebody, it's like, well, okay, but then you got to adjust, you know, you know where the ball's going. Although it's like, I mean, what little I play golf. If you sit there and you try to play the wind, and then when you try to play the wind on.
Speaker 4: Wind is it there? And then you overcompensate.
Speaker 6: So like old schoo outfit or make you got grass and grass.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: So I think if they kicked today or if they wait till tomorrow, we got to see a rebound. Otherwise I would imagine they're gonna start saying, okay, we might have to have a little kicking caravan.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, there is a free agent out there, free agent who just happened to be one of the best in the history of the game of football, that somebody they might have take a peek at over there, Robbie Gold.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, Robbie Gold is great, and I like to see him in the Curse of that bad right.
Speaker 7: Well, and then, and here's the deal with Robbie Gold, because he's not good at it. He's already said he doesn't want to go anywhere. He has to kick off, okay, And when I was asking around, why don't they bring in Robbie Gold, It's like, okay, But then we got to have somebody kick off because he's not very good. And it's going to be even more important this year with the new rule of the of the fair catch.
Speaker 4: If the balls in beyond the twenty five.
Speaker 2: Break break Station, Breakstation Break, Isaiah stand back as the android guy, and he don't know how to use their computers. Help him help him out. Christ now.
Speaker 4: Needs a pass where.
Speaker 7: What we were gonna do is let you know that we've got a podcast text line eight nine zero three two nine eight and if you text this, we've got questions that we can answer here during the show.
Speaker 4: But it can't tie him out on him, No, I.
Speaker 6: Can't tie him out.
Speaker 2: Don't touch anything.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna touch it out.
Speaker 2: I know he needs to touch it.
Speaker 4: He needs to touch it, so it doesn't touch I.
Speaker 2: Don't touch the buttons, touch the little pan I got it. I know Android products have a pad in the bottom of it.
Speaker 6: There are some good questions out here, though, so make sure you guys keep sitting him in.
Speaker 5: I'm taking a peek at him as they come through, and we'll definitely address them, you know.
Speaker 7: Out from a from an injury standpoint, they had a couple guys jump back into practice. Dareance Armstrong had been out with a hamstring.
Speaker 4: Uh he was he was back in.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: Donovan Wilson, I've been told now people got to see him out here. He had been working out with the trainers when nobody was around, and I'm told his high calf muscle I believe it was is doing better, and so maybe I don't know if he gets back this week, but he's close, so they're encouraged by his progress. Is he mccamu was back out there, so they're getting some of these guys with the soft tissue injuries back out there. And I think Jordan Lewis, who was placed on pop right, I'm watching him run, so he's getting close to getting back out here, which will create more competition in that secondary because without him here them young guys. Bland has played well, Eric Scott continues to play well, so there's there'll be some more competition to be in that top four at the cornerback position.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be very competitive in that secondary. It's based upon some of the names you just gave, and kudos to the front office for securing the secondary. When you think about this starting lineup, all three safeties are locked in, right, all three of them, right, Hooker, Wilson, Curse, all those guys are locked in the contracts. So kudos are that you look on the outside, well, you sure up Trayvon right, you have Gilmour on the opposite side, you have a young Duran Bland. So your starting secondary is locked in for at least the next few years.
Speaker 7: Are you guys good with them resigning Hooker three year deal? Yeah, twenty four million.
Speaker 2: See one thing we can we can rest assured when our secondary is the guys that they signed, you don't mind because they're good enough and the money is there. And so I got something on my face most of us, Yeah, man, you got me. There was I'm like, you're doing all this. I'm like, wow, man, it's something. The trees. I got some on my face.
Speaker 6: They've been watching Friday.
Speaker 2: Yea, but this dude got me doll face.
Speaker 4: You can't see anything on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, black boll Nix shots shots, shot good one. So you were saying, but I'm telling you, even when Wilson went down and Quambo, even when those guys got banged up, you didn't worry. You know, Okay, next out, Bell, next scout. Let's do you think?
Speaker 4: And they've had Bell out there, Thomas, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I do worry about Israel mccomo.
Speaker 5: I worry about his ability to have enough time now have after having missed the majority of training camp at this point to show that he should be on this roster, even though he has some cred over the you know last year that he was coming along but we just talked about those three starters are there, right, Those guys are locked in. They're not going anywhere. But then you have a couple of young casts. You got you got Marquis Bell, he gonna be in there. You have the Tyler Coyle is gonna.
Speaker 6: Be in there, Israel.
Speaker 5: Those guys are gonna be They're gonna be fighting for first for some playing time as well, so you can't miss all of training game.
Speaker 6: But I know he's not his choice, right, I've been in that position.
Speaker 5: It sucks, but he needs to get out there and get some reps, and he needs these preseason games because there's a lot of other guys that are vowing for positions now are going to effect how many guys are going to be kept in the secondary.
Speaker 6: Especially when you running a three safety.
Speaker 2: Eight set, you will learn quickly the difference between injury and I'm hurt and hurt. Right, Yeah, yeah, you get that wave a while you'd be like wow.
Speaker 7: And I'm sure I'm sure there was a reaction out there, Oh, they signed Hooker, why don't they get these other guys signed? But you know what happens is they sign guys that are willing to sign some guys don't want to do it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: He's a veteran, he's twenty eight years old. He realizes the jeopardy you put yourself in playing in that last year of your contract. And I thought the neat thing about him is what he said is I didn't want to go anywhere. I felt like I was home and I had these guys were my guys, and I wanted to stay. So you know, they were able to, you know, meet in the middle of a contract.
Speaker 4: And he was fine.
Speaker 7: He didn't need to be the highest paid safety out there, right, he just needed some security. And sixteen million dollars guaranteed, that's a lot of security, uh, for a guy that was coming off in Achilles, right, which is, as you know, a very tough thing to come back from. As a matter of fact, I told him, I said, when you got back and did all what you were doing, I said, you gave me incentive that when I tore mind that I could at least come back and be normal.
Speaker 4: Right, I got to play a football game.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I think that was a really good signing. I think we need to probably take a break here on mix shots, and remember, if you got a question, we have a podcast text line eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. Isaiah is monitoring that and we'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 8: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot Com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just.
Speaker 6: A few taps away.
Speaker 8: Put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 6: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 8: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions. Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 10: The Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and ods with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 11: We know that JC cheesy grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cooled Koola a journey to footopia. Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 6: That's what I like.
Speaker 3: To mixed shots.
Speaker 7: K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, proud partner of the Dallas Cowboys and they're We're glad they're with us on mix shots here on dallascowboys dot Com. From Lovely, I'm Snard, California, although I was sitting Lovely and it's cloudy out.
Speaker 5: But you know, we'll take it because once we go back home, it's thirty degrees hotter, right at least.
Speaker 7: At least right, so it'll get to seventy four here today it's one hundred and four back home.
Speaker 5: And the low of the day back home, I think it's like eighty four. So he gets up to seventy four here and it doesn't go below.
Speaker 7: Say it every year when we come here and get out of that heat and live here in ox Nerd for a month, puts another year on my life.
Speaker 6: I believe it.
Speaker 2: I believe it, all right.
Speaker 7: So one of the things that I did want to get to and I don't know if you guys got a chance to watch any of the Hall of Fame stuff with DeMarcus ware given his induction speech, along with Scott Holly stepping in for his dad Chuck Holly, who played for the Cowboys from sixty one to seventy three, getting in as a senior. His health situation didn't allow him to be there, which was a shame. And that's why I always say, why do they wait on these guys so long when they can't really enjoy it. He's in late stage of dementia, and the sad part is is his wife's kind of in the same situation, so he was unable to travel. So his son, Scott gave the acceptance speech, and I thought it was pretty good.
Speaker 4: Cool at the end.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you guys got to see it, he said, Hey, I want to do a favor to my dad. On the count of three, let's scream Hello, Chuck. And they did it right, And Scott was telling us that he wasn't sure that his dad. His attention span is short, and he wasn't sure how much of it he could watch. So he thought maybe if he just throws a shot out there right that maybe it would hit home with him. And then DeMarcus knocked it out of the park. He was pretty emotional talking about you know, early in his career, when he or his life, when he was a kid, he had not he had a situation and I had never heard this story from him where somebody he was around got shot and there was a knife on the ground, and he picked up the knife and looked at the guy that did the shooting, and the guy put the gun to his head and he dropped the knife, and he said, I had to make a decision right then and there who I was going to be. And he said he thought about that a lot when he was working out and was incentive to keep going and be successful. So a kid that was a probably one hundred and eighty eight pound receiver, when he got to Troy, they turned him into a Hall of Fame defensive end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 4: It was It was good to see that.
Speaker 7: As a matter of fact, I don't know if you guys were out here, but when coach McCarthy was getting ready to start his press conference where it was in the middle of his speech, and he saw us all watching on a computer and he just said, yeah, let's watch it, and so he watched and put his press conference off until DeMarcus was over. Yeah, he said, it was important. So yeah, and I know, Nate, you usually go to those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, if i'd have got invites, you know, I'd have been gone. Man. It left us Oh yeah, easily. Man, this is a once in a lifetime thing and normally nine time the Hall of Fame gets it right, you know. And so and if a cowboy going in knowing that it's a conspiracy against us cowboy fans, Isaiah, I ain't feeling it, bro.
Speaker 7: Brad Sham did go, got an invite from DeMarcus Ware and said it was really good. It was great hooking up with a lot of the players from that era. He got a chance to say hi to Jay Ratliffe, Travis Frederick was there, Miles Austin was there.
Speaker 2: That a great thing to see.
Speaker 7: So he got to you know, see those guys that played with DeMarcus. So uh, he said, yeah, it was It was really nice to spend some time with those guys that they show up and to support him. So and made a big deal too of his dad being there, who wasn't really part of his life growing up and recently has gotten back in with DeMarcus and DeMarcus Base. He said, the thing I told my dad is I forgive you. And he said I hadn't really told him that previously. See those things are flying around on us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so anyway, I tell like this here man, and this is going to Washton Marcus where for all you people to have family members wherever you're add in that relationship, say you're sorry and started living from that day. And I think that's what DeMarcus did with his father. It's like, okay, you're back. The past is the past, we forgive you. I started living from this day, yeah, you know, and I do that with my family members. So I hadn't seen it in a while. They got something against me and I didn't know it. I'm like, hey, whatever it is, I did, I'm sorry, hey, but let's started living from this day.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was pretty pretty powerful.
Speaker 7: So as we go on here and mix shots, the tight end position, Peyton Hendershot and this guy named John Stevens that a lot of people probably don't even know who he is, have really stepped up and they've got like four five tight ends and they we still haven't seen Luke Schoonmaker out there. He's getting closer maybe this week, I'm told, so we'll see. But the other guys, I think there was a lot of people worried that because Dalton Schultz left on his own accord, by the way, because they wanted to re sign him to a long term deal.
Speaker 4: And he didn't want to do it.
Speaker 7: He was butt hurt from last year having to make just ten million dollars on a franchise.
Speaker 4: And he ended up in Houston.
Speaker 7: But these other guys have stepped up, So I was trying to see what you guys thought of what's been going on at the tight end position.
Speaker 5: I think you have the sure thing in Ferguson, Right, Ferguson, I think that's gonna be your main guy that you're going to and that you're looking towards. So kudos of never bring him in last year because of the with the potential of Dalton Schultz leaving.
Speaker 6: But behind that.
Speaker 4: Is he got it inside Joe Caro Ferguson.
Speaker 6: Behind behind that, you really don't know.
Speaker 5: I think Peyton Hindershot is their reception guy right when they find them theirselves in the third down situation, it's gonna be it's gonna be Peyton Hendershot when they find it. And red zone as well, it's gonna be Peyton Hendershot because he's the shiftiest of all the tight ends. Now behind those two, right, those are guys that you brought in last year. Now you're looking at Big Stevenson like that you just mentioned it.
Speaker 6: He's six ' six.
Speaker 5: Really looks like a basketball player out there, this big basketball player looking guy who can go up there and high point the ball. He looks very raw. He looks like a project. And I don't say that in a negative sense. I just think that he's not He's not a developed tight end yet, right right, But he has all the attributes there.
Speaker 6: Just you know, he got all the ingredients.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, Linda Wells just has to put it all in the pot, and you know, and you just need a chef to be able to make it happen. So and that's the man to do it. But you know you got Princeton fan out there as well. That's gonna gonna try to show up. I think he's more of a of a road grader more than anything. He's probably the most physical of all those tight ends. But I but right off the bat, you know you're thinking Schoomaker is gonna be there. Ferguson's gonna be your main tight end. He'll eat a lot, he'll get a lot of yards this year off of this type offense. And then Hindershot is your main guy. And then they'll probably carry a fourth guy who is that gonna be. There's gonna be the guy that wants to go up there and high point in in a Reizona's gonna be a fan that can go out there and be a road grader on special teams like who are you gonna try to pick up?
Speaker 7: And I think the guy that I think has shown that he probably deserves to be back on the roster is Sean McEwan. I think that he from a blocking standpoint, a guy that you can use as an h back, uh and he'll catch a pass or two for you. So yeah, it's kind of crowded, right, yes. And you know when we talk about John Stevens and the Cowboys, you know they understand what he is, but they also look at it. We look at it as a fifty three, right, they look at it as sixteen more.
Speaker 4: Guys on the practice squad.
Speaker 7: And that might be his you know, his faith to start off right. So McEwen, it'll be interesting to see because of late, we've got to see a little more of loop Key the fullback, right, and you know, can you how many how many tight ends can you keep? And if you want to keep a fullback, So something's got to give that.
Speaker 6: Don't I don't see that going that way.
Speaker 2: That's I just think the better block and tight end should be if you keep a third fourth guy, it should be a blocking tight end because as the season go on and things get hectic, that's what you need is an extra block or somebody. If we lose a Tyron Smith, we may need that extra block. I want a guy that getting the dirty.
Speaker 7: And I thought last year that was the problem with the tight end position. Yes, you know when you go two tight ends, well, okay, that means I got two extra guys blocking.
Speaker 4: But that wasn't the case last year.
Speaker 5: You're gonna see a lot more excuse me, you're gonna see a lot more of that this year as well.
Speaker 6: Two tight end sets.
Speaker 5: You're gonna have it where the offense is coming to the line of scrimmage and it looks even one receiver on each side, one tight end on each side, and it's gonna give Dack the opportunity to put the team in the best situation. You know, if you sometimes you might seem to come to the line of scrimmage and say over over or kill kill. Well, he might have had a run play going to the right, and now he just killed it. To the left, but the defense has no idea which way he was going in the first place. So to Nate's point, you need tight ends that cannot only get out into their routes, getting nice releases and catch the ball. But these guys have to be able to block, because if you have a set right where you come up, you have a tight on the east side. I need to have the confidence to be able to run it either direction, and these guys are gonna be out on the edge and they're gonna be obviously combo blocking with the tackles.
Speaker 6: So these guys have to know what the heck they're doing at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 5: Hindershot's not that guy, right, you know, Sean McEwan is that type of guy.
Speaker 6: But Sean McEwan is, like I would say, Sean mckown is, like tofu. He's consistent, right, he's consistent, But there ain't not a flavor there, you know what I mean, There's not a lot of flavor, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Like maybe that's why I don't like tofa.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's like, so, I mean, like you're not gonna get anything exceptional, nor do you expect anything exceptional, but consistency there's something that you know that to be said about that as well.
Speaker 2: A second round pick tight end? What what?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 2: Where is he yet?
Speaker 6: Make?
Speaker 4: He's he's getting close.
Speaker 7: He's got the plant our fascias that he showed up with. So that was why he was on n f I Non Football Injury.
Speaker 4: He's a big dude, you know what. I finally saw him, just like I said, gosh, this guy's big.
Speaker 6: He's massive.
Speaker 4: I mean he's he's got to be like six five six six. What what is this? What do they got him listed?
Speaker 6: What's his number?
Speaker 4: I forgot his dog number eighty six.
Speaker 6: He's not even this dog?
Speaker 4: Yeah, hex five two fifty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So he needs to get out there. And you know the thing with the plantar fasciais and I don't know if either one of you I've had that. You got to tear it and he didn't tear it. It was just strained and it lasted a long time.
Speaker 2: How long did you ain't never? I had a lot of injuries, bad injuries. But I remember going in that training room and Jim Myers said, hey man, you want to hold my hand, And I'm thinking, like, oh, your hand, you know?
Speaker 6: Yeh yeah.
Speaker 2: But I say something told me like, yeah, yeah, you just to see since you want me to hold your han, hold your hands so you will be safe. That's what I told him when they stuck that needle in my foot and I screamed and I looked up and everybody was laughing at me because like, yeah, big tough guy. Yeah man, that hurts, right, that hurts. But I finally tore mine. That's the best thing that happened. Just going to tarror it, yeah and get it over with, get that shot and be done with it. After that, I was on my road to recover.
Speaker 4: Would the shot cause it to terror?
Speaker 2: Well no, I just couldn't really fit it, because it was to heal me. Heal me, yeah, to help. After that, I really couldn't fit it. I tore it. I finally.
Speaker 7: Russell Maryland have that too. They gave him like a metal plate to put in his shoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but Russell had bad feet.
Speaker 4: He had good feet to play but yeah.
Speaker 2: Bay, yeah, yeah, yeah, grandma handed feet.
Speaker 7: And with that, we'll take our second break care mixed shots. As we are out here on a cloudy day in Oxnard, California, even seventy degrees.
Speaker 9: The medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 6: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 8: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, trust it by America's team.
Speaker 12: Hey Cowboys, Fins, ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kierro Guacamole be the game day hero. Yo Kiro means I want and we know you want. Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamolely for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertsons or Tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kierro, Yo Kierro guacom only.
Speaker 10: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 3: To mixed shuts.
Speaker 7: Hey, Nate, do you eat, sleep, and breathe Dallas Cowboys Football?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 7: Tell us how you spice up the game for a chance to be named the twenty two twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan, and win exclusive prizes plus a trip to Super Bowl fifty eight. Nominate yourself if you want, or another today at Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year, Rag on yourself, continue here on mix shots Mickey Spagnola, Isaiah standback, Nate Newton, and you guys who are texting us on the text line.
Speaker 5: That's right, sayah the text line over here, the Cowboys text line eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight for those that do not have that number, but for those who already had it, and you guys have seen some questions, we appreciate you. One of the questions that was posed on the text line was how has Awesome Richards looked at.
Speaker 6: Camp this year's draft pick over there? Tackle? What is he looking like right now?
Speaker 2: They look Okay, he played a little guard seventy six. I'm thinking you're talking about so he's played at left guard behind Tyler Smith. Uh. When when he makes contact, he's fit, he can move people off the ball. Uh, gotta get a little more shifted with his feet. And I see a lot of inside. Guys have that problem, you know, because they used to just dominating in college where pros you're gonna you're gonna face all type like Ozzie, Oh excuse me? Who can get upfield? Who's quick? Who can get lateral movement? Guys like that, who got great lateral movement. You gonna have to be able to move your feet. You gonna have to be have proper sets, So you gotta continue to work on that and always hands hands, hands, proper placement with.
Speaker 4: Do you think he's a tackler or guard?
Speaker 2: I think he's a guard. I think he's a guard. Yeah, it don't matter nine today's NFL because you just see it across the board all different. If you saw a center when I played that was more than six two or six three, he looked at it out of whack. Nowadays, you play where you play. If you're athletic enough and savvy enough, you play wherever they put you.
Speaker 5: So being there, that's Austin Richards over Dow on the offensive side of the ball, on the flip side, make people. The people on the text line one know, how is Mozzi smith wing going? How's he doing? They want to know specifically about Saturday. But just overall, how has Mozzie Smith been looking so?
Speaker 7: In my opinion, he is strong, but there's no doubt about that. I think he does a good job of taking up double teams. What you want from that guy so other guys can make plays.
Speaker 4: He's got to play faster.
Speaker 7: I think they were somewhat worried that he wasn't getting off the snap real quick and they needed to pick up his play speed, meaning hey, you gotta go, you know. I think in college you probably get by with just being strong. Now your technique has to be better, and that's kind of what I've seen from him. I thought at times on Saturday he had a good day, but there were other times he was getting turned, which you don't want that guy to get turned.
Speaker 5: Neil, as an office aligneman, what advantage do you gain by a defensive lineman not getting off on the snap.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna be able to get off and get tackles in this game. Six inches makes all the word difference in the world. If I can get to you, if we're right here and I can get right here on you, right here, and all I need is to get right here, you beat because I got a head and a shoulder. You got to get past, and that's what's messing him up. In college, he could just take people up off the feet and bench press him back into the running back. Here, these guys are through the deal. You've turned. Just strike the turn and that's all it takes. What he has to do is read the head and believe what he sees. Step right, step right, step left, step left. Get that hand to the outside of that path, or to the middle, to the outside that path, so you can turn the offensive player. Now you have a chance to release and make a tackle. But if he turned you, you are blocked off and the running back is running.
Speaker 6: So you're talking about leverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm all about leverage, man, all about hand placement of leverage and seeing and believing. He's not taking false steps. They're just slow. If you step right, I step right, and now I'm strong in you. I'm better than you. I can bitch fresh. You rap back into this guy, reach out tapping three yard game. Other way it's a four to five yard game.
Speaker 7: I saw I saw an example of what you want to see from him. Where he did step in. He was getting ready to step into the backfield. Excuse me and Uh, they like TJ. Bass so far rookie agent guard or destroyed him, just put him on the ground and I'm going that's how that's how strong he is. And he was quick that time he got in on baths and he turned Bass.
Speaker 5: How much of that do you think is his confidence boosted when he faces another guy that he knows, also a rookie versus going against.
Speaker 2: Different because two plays earlier, that's the same guys is Smith and it ain't happening that when this when when when Tyler Smith laid his hands on you, it's gonna be the same on the strength now with a veteran leverage. And uh, if this one thing I like about this kid, If he's going to his left, he's a little bit better.
Speaker 6: Who's that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about Monster, that's a little bit better. Ses get that left hand in there, and he literally stops the guy from any type double team, so them linebackers be running free. But when they going to the right, he's a little bit slower. So and that's where Smith gets him and just knocks him off the ball because he's trying to muscle him and Smith just started turning it and backs got two three lanes from the outside. So if he can just see and read, see and believe, see and react, and what you have to do is come out here and hit these pads. What you gotta do is get on that two man slid and let him pop it out because you know they got the little arm of that boom. He gotta be able learn to step. Boom boom. You see color, you gotta step.
Speaker 5: Give people a visual and I got both of you guys are historians of the Cowboys. Name a defensive lineman that there was an interior defensi lignment that has such an impact on the inside that allowed their second level linebackers to be able to free flow them.
Speaker 2: When you gotta go far Jonathan Hankins last year. Yeah, I mean he he was eating up blocks and then all of a sudden he get his arm his arm her you know. I mean the team rushed for a lot. But you can see the difference when he's in the game, when he's on point, he's stepping, you know, and uh and and he and he's doing what he's got to do. So that is the thing Gallimore, big Bohannah. They ain't doing that. They want to step. Yeah, but they want to turn because they always trying to get into a pass rush more. That's why they in Trump and now that's why he may my name get.
Speaker 7: You're exactly right because if there was a fault to the defense last year, yeah, inability to stop the run. And you're thinking with these bigger guys in the middle with Hankins, because there are times they line up Hankins and Mazy together.
Speaker 2: That's your first and second I talked to Quinn, that's your first and second down backs, especially if they're coming off the goal line them the two guys is running out there and Bohannah, don't want to see that, Bohannan if you got friends out there Texas Big News, say you don't want to see that because where did you say your job? And he made his job may be and yeah, so you got to come on and play. Yeah, yes, sir, he does. And he because this Villa Villa maar for Hoko junior Junior. They like him, Yeah, they like they like him.
Speaker 7: And seeing the other thing they've done also in the middle is they've they've put Chauncey Golston.
Speaker 6: Yes, he's having an impact, right, that's your.
Speaker 2: Secret mix when all those fails. Coach would be.
Speaker 6: Like, he wants it. That's the guy that they want getting vertical.
Speaker 5: They have guys on their roster that they want to put in there to get vert field. When they's put Big Bowl in there, when they put Mazi in there, when they put Jonathan Hackers in there. They don't want to see those guys getting vertical unless they are literally driving somebody back. They want to clog up space. That's not their job. They've come out and said it over and over again. Dan Quinn said, we got Mozie Smith to go up there and log things up. He is a toilet clogger. That's what we want.
Speaker 4: Want all right, I got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And with that.
Speaker 7: We will end mix shots here on Wednesday. Here from Oxnard, California. Thanks to Isaiah for stepping in. Nate glad to thank you didn't get lost on your day off on Monday, and uh we hope Bill Jones will join us. That's hard to say. Jones join us U next Wednesday. He's back in Dallas on Mickey Spagnola And that was Cowboys Mix Shots. Thanks also to Chris Bean helping us out here.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 12: Hey,