Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm joined Stevick, senior reporter and author of the Money Distilled newsletter. Today we'll be playing you a much loved episode we made last summer and how to make the most of your money when going away on holiday. Top tips that could end up saving you a decent amount so you can spend more of your time we had read in the book and less time we had hands in your wallet. Hope you enjoy.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Merrinchooks Your Money, the puzzon on Finance edition at Merritchooks Money. In these bonus podcasts, we talk about best strategies for making the most of your money. I'm married sumset web and with me senior reporter and Money to Stilled off with John steppecka John.
Speaker 2: I'm John.
Speaker 1: School's beginning to wrap up. Everyone's getting ready for this on the holidays. If I had luck people on holiday already. I'm not on holiday. You're not on holiday, Producer Summer not on holiday. We are all here, but we're here, all our listeners. We know you're all about to go on holiday, and we are worried that you are going to commit some of the most common money mistakes out there, or should I say foreign money mistakes out now we are John and I we have to admit this. We are using to talk about this a list sent to us by the lovely people at aj BELL who've made a list of the things that you can do wrong and remind you how to do them right. And do you know what looking at them. The very first mistake is one I made just the other day. Just the other day, headed for Mexico, realized I didn't have any dollars or any pays and what did I do? I went to the Bureau de change at the airport.
Speaker 2: It really is just a pain that we've felt being disorganized, and I've done it as well, Like I don't go any bit exotic, nor I'm going somewhere that's got euros. I know I can use the cash machine. But at the same thing, you can like yeah, but well, if you get to the airport and you need some euros and you can't use the cash machine, and you've got.
Speaker 1: It, you've got a tip. The first you've got to tip the first taxi driver. I have a terrible story about us not doing that when we didn't stop at the buider Shans of the airport, didn't have any euros when we arrived somewhere, didn't tip the taxi driver when we got out of the taxi at the hotel. Never saw that, Charles Teddy Bear Again, all I'm saying is, if you don't have any cash, go to the burage on at the airport. You can afford it.
Speaker 2: The spread between the actual place of the curdency and what you will pee at the airport is shocking. It appols me every single team. I'm sort of the and I look at the exchange rates.
Speaker 1: Oh it's a shocker. Anyway, listen here here's an example of the rates from the aj Bell report. As a third of July, well, well go now, Travelex were offering to change one thousand pounds into nine hundred and forty four euros if you rocked over there. He threw airport Kiosk, so less than one for one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and may we know, pregus it was a terrible.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that bad. But if you ordered online from travel x to pick the money up at the same location in the airport, you'd get one one hundred and thirty three euros. If you've just done the admin in advance, you get an extra one hundred and eighty nine euros to spend on your holiday.
Speaker 2: That is a huge amount these days. I don't think you can really blame the four X people for this. It really is just you're at the airport. You forgot to do it, and so they're charging your convenience fee. That's the way that you look at it.
Speaker 1: They're a lot of rent for those desks in the middle of the end.
Speaker 2: Why exactly, everyone has.
Speaker 1: To have heard for something. Yeah, right, so we're not going to do that.
Speaker 2: Ll sandwiches and more expensive at the airport as well, you can't really blame them. So yeah, definitely if he is the airport, is my.
Speaker 1: Press sandwich not at the airport and a prent sanwich at the airport.
Speaker 2: I do not want to speak for a specific brand just in case, you know, but definitely catering at the airport is more expensive than so it.
Speaker 1: Should be limited re estate, right And what do you think John that the second thing people shoure doing the going on holidays, bring a sandwich with them, bring a pipe lunch exactly, it's a two liter bottle of coconut proper money. See if anyone drinks coke by the way, two liter bottle of water. Right. Mistake number two paying for your online money with a credit card, Now, this is interesting. If you pay with a credit card, you're going to pay a cash fee to your bank. And you know that if you take money out of an ATM with a credit card, you're going to pay an extra fee on top of everything. Then no one quite understands why you pay that fee, but you do pay that.
Speaker 2: Fee, right, Yeah, I think it's just the license m is. Don't ever use your credit card for actually buying money. You're always going to get child's extra for Use your debit card for the anything to do withdrawing money or popches in money or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you're buying it online, or if you buying it online in advance to pick up at the airport, whatever it is, use your debit card, credit card, okay, right, next one, Using your standard bank cards abroad, you get non sterling transaction fees on transactions you make in foreign currencies. And that's going to be and off to three percent of the purchase amount. I mean, that is whopping. And there are some current counts that don't charge it, but an awful lot do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's when you just have to be aware because there's plenty of mainstream banks that don't do this, and also the certainly they own line banks tend not to do it. I know it's startling. Don't do it because my kids, who's startling. We have got a nationwide card and one of the reasons that got that was because they have exchange fees were very reasonable, or rather not the exchange fees, the exchange rate you get. So I think that's just a matter of looking at the cards you've got. You know, I don't think you need to get a special ones for going on holiday unless attached.
Speaker 1: If you get a revolute card or a Caxing FX card or and you can prepay it with a variety of different currencies, it might have a couple of dollars and if I'm quite useful, can I remember the pin usually live from at home in the end, But in theory, in theory.
Speaker 2: Useful company who travels to a lot of different places. If you go to America and Europe a lot or what about and you need dollars and yours, then loading up a card to be both of those before that is a kind of useful thing you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also quite a reason more way to control your holiday spending, isn't it. You can prepay what you expect to spend on your holiday onto that card, and then you can keep an eye on things as.
Speaker 2: You go, and then you can panic for the last three days yet holiday when you realize that you ran out about a week ago or.
Speaker 1: On the way through, and splurge on the last two days. This happens to Okay, the next one. I'm good at this one. I see this is a mistake. I never make paying in sterling on a card terminal. So when you use your card overseas, everyone knows this. You'll get asked by the machine whether you want to pay in your local currency, in the local currency of the place where you are, or in sterling. And everyone thinks, well, I'm going to get sterling, because that's that's how I work, that's what my bank account is in. But that is the wrong thing you're going to do. You're going to get the worst possible exchange right ever, probably not quite as bad as you get at the bureau. Challenge of the airport is far pretty bad, So you really don't want to do that. And that is such a simple mistake.
Speaker 2: That is a simple one. You know. Something I noticed though when I went. I went to Athens for the first time earlier this year, and one thing I noticed was that the whales there would often, in some places, not all places, but fifty percent of the time, they would take your card away and they would make the decision on which button to press, and sometimes they would press the wrong ones. I don't know what's going on there, and I know that the only relatively recently started enforcing things like receipts and stuff like that, and that part of Greece as well, So I mean sometimes that you may you might find it depending where you are, people try to maybe slightly coin you on.
Speaker 1: That sophisticated to think that the weight is in grace are getting kickbags based on your exchange? Right?
Speaker 2: Oh, I was kind of. I was quite surprised. Was noticed happening often enough that I thought, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: So and you were losing three percent every time? Bad? Like, I was a shock.
Speaker 2: I was appalled.
Speaker 1: Last one was lovely still totally was it buy back options? Last time I went, and it was still the days of travelers checks?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, remember that was? Yeah, it is so it is so much easier going on holiday.
Speaker 1: Now, much easier travelers checks You had to take me to the bank and cash them, and then they got stolen and they had nothing.
Speaker 2: I went to Paris at one point and I had eight e quentin sterling, right, but it was the only money that we had, and then the last day it was down to that. It was but it was Royal Bank Clydesdale bank notes, you know how like some of the Scottish notes looked really unusual. And this was about thirty years ago. Went into an actual bank in Paris and they pulled out the big book of notes. It wasn't there.
Speaker 1: I had.
Speaker 2: He wandered around me, no money but eight quentin sterling and I think we'd like three francs or something ends up buying like a bagett to lasts for twenty four hours. So maybe kids, it's much eesier these days. You should stop complaining about all of this stuff.
Speaker 1: Last time I had Scottish money approved was endorse.
Speaker 2: It's because that'll racist in here six.
Speaker 1: Years ago, right, the last one buy back options. Now, this also isn't gonna happen to John based on we've been talking about so far. But some people might come back from holiday with spare currency, actual physical notes in their pockets, and they might sing to themselves as they go through the airport on their way back. They might think for themselves, Oh, I'll just walk go with that desk and I'll change them back into sterling. You don't want to do that. Here's numbers again from aj Bell. You're a change will sell you one hundred and thirty seven euros for one thousand pounds out like a good deal relative to what we talked about earlier. But if you bring all those euros back, can you exchange them again? You'll only get nine hundred and four pounds in return. You do not want to do that. Now, some of the people who you can get your travel money from will give you a buy back guarantee so you can take the money back and change it back at the same rate. Of course, there's going to be some kind of charge or commission to that. So what do you do with your foreign currency? John? If you come back you don't know about this, do you never any left? But let's see it.
Speaker 2: For next time. Next time, because again, of course uros particlarly, you know you're probably going to be going to euros own country in the future.
Speaker 1: Again, this is how I ended up with a whole load of liror and pasatus.
Speaker 2: By the way, Yeah, I mean, I don't get off girl with the dollars that I'll never go anys how, don't treat them back more with the physical because you're going to have to go up with even the one in the airport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I said, you know what, I'm buy back options. Maybe maybe just take what you can get at the time, because otherwise there may be people who are better at admin than us. I don't know these people would be, but if you're anything like us, just take what you can get to the time, or it's going to sit in your jour it's not worth anything anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, it does feel like I waste the time.
Speaker 1: Bird in the hand, Guys, bird in the hand.
Speaker 2: They spent in the duty three in the way back.
Speaker 1: Can you do that?
Speaker 2: That depends on really hard I suppose do you.
Speaker 1: I have another suggestion, John's you can put it in that charity envelope on the aeroplane.
Speaker 2: Well, hypothecating your taxes. I think we disapprove of that.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's a gift aid book.
Speaker 2: Still in money from.
Speaker 1: H h just right. I think John and I are going to leave. Thanks for listening to this week's Mary Talks to Your Money. If you like, rate, review, and subscribe whereever you listen to podcasts. Also be sure to follow me in John on ex or Twitter at marinas w and John Underscore Stepic. This episode was produced by some Asadi tyala Amdi and is production sport and sound designed by Blake Maples. Questions and cons on this show and all our shows are always welcome to our show email is Mirror Money at Bloomberg dot net