Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Karen, we begin once again in Chicago after nine three of the Democratic National Convention. The evening included speeches from rising stars like Transportation Secretary Pete Boodage and Maryland Governor Wes Moore, along with party stalwarts like former President Bill Clinton. But the main event was Minnesota Governor Tim Waltz. He used his acceptance speech as the Democrats vice presidential nominee to appeal to swing state voters.
Speaker 3: I represented my neighbors in Congress for twelve years, and.
Speaker 4: I learned an awful lot.
Speaker 2: I learned how to work.
Speaker 3: Across the aisle on issues like growing the rural economies and taking care of veterans. And I learned how to compromise without compromising my values.
Speaker 2: Wal It's also lobbed attacks at Republican Donald Trump and his running mate JD. Vance, linking them to the controversial Project twenty twenty five initiative.
Speaker 3: Some folks just don't understand what it takes to be a good neighbor. Take Donald Trump and JD. Vance their Project twenty twenty five will make things much much harder for people who are just trying to live their lives.
Speaker 2: Governor Waltz also praised Vice President Kamala Harris's policy proposals, saying they will help the middle class. Republicans have seized on the idea that Harris's running mate overstated elements of his record while in the National Guard and Nathan.
Speaker 1: Vice President Kamala Harris will close out the convention tonight with her acceptance speech as Poles continue to show a tight race with Donald Trump. Bloomberg Balance of Power host Joe Matthew is in Chicago for the DNC. He has more on what to expect from Harris tonight.
Speaker 4: It's going to be an opportunity to stop the clock essentially to talk to the delegates in the room and people more importantly watching this from their living rooms, to get to the matter of trust on issues like the economy, like dealing with the border, and some of the other issues that have dogged her.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg's Joe Matthews says Kamala Harris will also focus on her life story, and you can catch Joe along with the Bloomberg's Kaylee lines from the DNC tonight on a special edition of Balance of Power starting at eight pm Wall Street Time on Bloomberg Radio and Television.
Speaker 3: Well Karen.
Speaker 2: On day three of the DNC, New York City Mayor Eric Adams joined Bloomberg for a conversation about the race and why he didn't get a chance to speak at the convention.
Speaker 5: The goal is not to get Eric Adams on the stage. The goal is to get VP Harris and the team elected, and they're putting together the right speakers and we're just going to find out what is our role and we're going to carry the ball based on that.
Speaker 2: New York City Mayor Eric Adams added that public safety will be a crucial message for Democrats in the campaign.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Nathan, former President Donald Trump was campaigning at North Carolina yesterday and he told his supporters it's hard to talk policy when the Obamas are at him at the DNC, Bloomberg said, Baxter has that story.
Speaker 6: Trump and a rally in North Carolina says he'd like to focus on policy because his advisors told him it's the right thing to do. But he complained to the crowd, did you see Barack Obama taking potshots that you're president, and so was Michelle. So he asked the attendee, should I get personal or should I not get personal? The crowd liked him going on attack.
Speaker 2: Now, try and be.
Speaker 5: Nice to people, you know, but it's a little tough when they get personal.
Speaker 6: The Obama attacks were aimed at focusing on the way Trump attacks his opponents with name calling. Poles have tightened in North Carolina at Baxter Bloomberg Radio, all right, ed, thank you.
Speaker 2: We have one more note on the twenty twenty four race. Reports indicate Independent Robert F. Kennedy Junior is expected to end his presidential campaign this week. He plans to give a speech about his future tomorrow from Phoenix. It comes after Kennedy's running mate suggested that he could potentially endorse Donald Trump well Nathan. Turning now to the war in the Middle East. After Secretary of State Antony Blanken left the region Tuesday without a ceasefire deal, the White House said both President Biden and Vice President Harris spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu yesterday. The White House says Biden stress the urgency to strike a deal with Commas on a ceasefire and hostage release and discussed upcoming talks in Cairo to remove any remaining obstacles. Turned out to the Economy Karen, a lot of investors focused in on Jay Powell's much anticipated speech tomorrow from Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The FED chair's comments will come after yesterday's FED minutes from the July meeting. Bloomberg's Michael McKee is in Jackson Hole. He says the minutes revealed many FED officials saw the case for cuts at that July meeting.
Speaker 7: They all decided that maybe because Jay, Paula and the majority were saying, don't cut now, we will wait. But they do say in the minutes that the latest data they had gotten gave them more confidence that they were going to be moving down to the two percent level and it would be soon appropriate to move rates.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Mike mckea. Some FED officials also saw a risk of more serious labor market deterioration. Catch a special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance Live from Jackson Hole tomorrow starting at nine am Eastern on Bloomberg Radio and Television.
Speaker 1: And Nathan Trader's got some insight on radcuts from one FED official yesterday. Atlanta FED President Raphael Bostik joined other policymakers in signaling caution before proceeding with radcuts. Bostig said he's looking for a little more data before supporting a reduction in interest rates, adding that he wants to be absolutely sure inflation's contained.
Speaker 2: Now to a few company notes, Karen first to the latest on the bidding for Paramount Global, sources tell Bloomberg News. Edgar Bronfman Junior has raised his offer to take over the media company to six billion dollars atop's a four point three billion dollar bid he made just three days ago. The move could upset Paramount's plan to merge with Skydance Media, led by David Ellison. That deal included a forty five day period in which Paramount can review other offers. Broadfin is a media executive and the heir to this Seagram's Spirits fortune. He's reportedly expected to argue that his proposal will result in less solution for Paramount's non Redstone shareholders.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan Walt Disney has named former Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman to lead the search for a successor to CEO Bob Iger and Bloomberg's Chris Palm Mary says the search is on.
Speaker 8: They have said they're looking at internal n external candidates, but commncial wisdom is just a handful of senior Disney executives who are in the running. Companies widely anticipated to name somebody either a president or a COO next year who will be the air parent and.
Speaker 1: As Bloomberg's Chris Paul Mary, who says, it'll be a tough role to fill since Disney has so many facets to his business. Gorman joined Disney's board this year and oversaw a succession at Morgan Stanley, where he continues to serve as executive chairman.
Speaker 2: Well, Karen, someone new is going to have to fill the role leading Apple's app store, sources tell Bloomberg News Matt Fisher is leaving the iPhone maker in October. Fisher's run the app store since twenty ten. It's been under regulatory pressure. Lawmakers say Apple's app store wields too much power in the mobile software market.
Speaker 1: And finally, Nathan Shares a Snowflake plunged eighteen percent yesterday for their biggest declines as the company went public in twenty twenty. The software developer delivered disappointing sales forecast and Annow CEO Frank Slutman is stepping down. Bloomberg Intelligence says Snowflake's AI plan remains unclear and checking shares this morning, they're down eight percent.
Speaker 2: As time.
Speaker 1: Now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr Michael, Good morning, Good.
Speaker 9: Morning, Karen. Powerful New York Area politicians spoke at day three of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago. House Democratic Leader Hakim Jeffries called on the crowd to make Kamala Harris the forty seventh president of the United States. Jeffries also went after Donald Trump. Donald Trump is like an old boyfriend who you broke up with, but he just won't go away. He has spent the last four years spinning the block. Also speaking at the convention, New Jersey Senator Corey Booker. Booker is one of many lawmakers who are paying tribute to longtime Congressman Bill Pascrell of New Jersey, who died yesterday.
Speaker 10: He never forgot where he came from in Patterson, and he never stopped fighting. He could push some pacaderms he fought for the people.
Speaker 9: Pass Grell had recently been hospitalized for respiratory infection and fever, and was again hospitalized earlier this month. In a post on x, his office said he is now at peace after a lifetime devoted to our great nation of America. Bill Pascrell, a senior Democratic member of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, was eighty seven. A state appeals court is being asked by New York State's attorney general to uphold the lower court decision that former President Trump, his adult sons, and company should pay nearly a half a billion dollars for a business fraud. The Manhattan judge found that the Trumps are liable for inflating the former president's net worth by as much as over two billion dollars and misrepresented values of assets. Trump lawyers argue that prosecutors misapplied the law. Authorities are looking for the woman who jumped a fence at a New Jersey zoo and stuck her hand into the tiger enclosure. It was all caught on video. Zoo keeper Averymneer says one of the two Bengal tigers in that cage reacted to the woman she taunted the animal.
Speaker 11: I can also see his paw go up and him go after her, and he was very agitated that she was on the other side of the fence and he could not.
Speaker 12: Get to her.
Speaker 9: Police posted the video on social media in hopes of finding the woman. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Kron.
Speaker 1: All right, Michael Barr, thank you time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John Stashauer.
Speaker 13: John, good morning, Good morning, Careen. The Yankees offense has been so often this year like they're a two man team. That's never been more on display than last night at the stadium. Juan Soto two run home on the first inning, Aaron Judge two run shot of the third, Soto and inning later with a check swing opposite field three run double, and then in the seventh another Judge home run. Together they drove in all eight runs in an eight to one rout of Cleveland. Soto now has thirty six homers, Judge has forty seven. He's hit six in the last nine games, twelve in the last twenty three is on pace to hit sixty. Nester Cortes seven scoreless innings. The series ends this afternoon in the Bronx. Earlier at Cityfield, Mets and Orioles three to three, bottom of the ninth with Jesse Winker up as a pinch hitter.
Speaker 12: Swing on a high fly ball well hit left center. Moments going back to the track, it's a wall Bit's Tom put it the buck. The Bets win it again against the Vegas, and only now this Waker, after firing down his helmet and benning gloves, step on first base and start his triumph intar around the basis.
Speaker 13: On WCBS. The Mets had also won four to three Monday night, and that was on a walk off ninth inning homer by Francisco Alvarez, also off of Baltimore's Sir Anthony Dominguez. The Mets win helps the Yankees. They move back ahead of Baltimore. The two teams continue to flip flop atop the Al East. Atlanta lost of the Phillies three to two, the Mets within a game and a half of the Braves. Mets begin a ten game road trip tonight in San Diego. Red Sox won four to one at Houston. Nationals beat Colorado six to one. The Denver Broncos named rookie bo Nicks is their Week one starting quarterback. Twelfth pick of the draft, there was only the sixth QB taken. He'll become the fourteenth different starting QB for the Broncos since Peyton Manning retired. NBA Hall of Famer Al Addams has passed away at eighty seven. He played for the Warriors. He coached him to an NBA championship, then became their general manager. Adams spent sixty years with the US organization JOHNS.
Speaker 8: Dashley.
Speaker 2: We're Bloomberg Sports. Can I render Nathan.
Speaker 6: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. Minnesota Governor Tim Waltz made a play for the undecided on Night three of the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 3: We're all here tonight for one beautiful, simple reason.
Speaker 2: We love this country. Tim Waltz leaned into his record as a veteran and a former high school football coach as he introduced himself to the nation and accepted his party's nomination to be vice president. For more. We are joined now by Bloomberg News senior writer Stephanie Baker. Stephanie, Good morning. A lot of talk about neighborliness, a lot to talk about reaching out, quite a different tone from I guess what we heard from the Obamas, perhaps the night before last, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean Governor Waltz's you know, speech was really strong. I think, you know, really it was his opportunity to introduce himself to the nation, and he really leaned into his coach Walls persona, you know, using that football metaphor that I think if anyone else tried to use would seem a bit corny, sort of saying, you know, we're on the offense and we've got the ball and driving down the field, you know. And he really emphasized what Harris administration would do for the middle class, cutting taxes, trying to make a housing more affordable.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 11: I think it's incredible how he's managed to become such an accomplished public speaker reading off a teleprompter when a few weeks ago he'd never done any such thing.
Speaker 2: Interesting to hear a lot of that kind of talk reaching out more to kind of a rural voter that many had even leaned toward Republicans in the past. Could it be by design that they're sort of trying to take that message of freedom and neighborliness and turn it on its head against Republicans.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean they're really trying to flip the script, you know, saying that that doubling down on this sort of idea that that less government is actually a democratic theme. So you know, this message of get out of our bedrooms, you know, don't tell us what to do, you know, in our doctor's offices. And I think that that is a very effective messaging for the kind of voters that Harris needs if she's going to win the presidency, the sort of swing voters that had traditionally gone to the Republican Party, you know, that voted for Obama in two thousand and eight and then voted for Trump in twenty sixteen. So I think that's a very calculated bet on their part, and that Walls will able to appeal to those white male voters that I think Harris is in fact struggling to win over.
Speaker 2: You do enough, do you think to rebut the Republican attack that we'd heard after he announced as Kamala Harris's running mate, that he's Bernie Sanderson, a hunting jacket.
Speaker 11: I think it's going to be really hard for the Republicans to paint him as some crazy left winger. He's too normal, you know, everything from his background as a teacher to a football coach. He's he's your classic kind of miss Midwestern dad. I think, you know, the speech last night was proof that that is going to be a very hard thing for the Republicans to do, to paint him as some you know, crazy guy who's out to you know, take the country back to you know, some other era. So I don't you know, I don't think that's going to work.
Speaker 2: So our last thirty second, Stephanie, how does this set us up for Kamala Harris's accept in speech tonight.
Speaker 8: It'll be really.
Speaker 11: Interesting to see, you know what, you know what she says. I think she's not going to she's not going to go into detail on policy, and I think that's been some of the criticism that they're at this point. They're very light on detail of what they're actually going to do. I think she's going to emphasize values. Uh, she's going to emphasize the theme of freedom, which has been, you know, central to her campaign message and I think has been very successful.
Speaker 6: Let's wait and see.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one O six one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flag New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious xmb iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak