Speaker 1: I have to share a quick story, real quick, just for the and they were not even the show, but this is just warming up. Rob is so nice. We have Ralphie and Rocky together, right, guys, they're they're fucking wild. They're running around, they're all hyping each other. Best friends there, but they're hyped. And I'm over here, I'm like Rocky place because they were, they're around. We were trying to settle them down. And Rob goes Ralphie and he and little Ralfie's this little little frenchie. Rob's seven feet tall. He's like, Ralphie, wait, wait Jeels wait, Ralphie. He's like, wait up, I got a mean voice in there, Ralphie. I was laughing because Rob didn't have a mean enough voice to reprimand the dog. That's how nice Robie is. He had He was sitting there thinking like, how do I make a mean voice?
Speaker 2: But like the dogs know the tone, the dogs tone.
Speaker 3: If I can get that tone, I can finally get Ralphie under the wraps and he listens. But if I don't have that tone, he just looks at me and laughs and just keeps going and doing what he's doing. That it doesn't care what any consequences at all in the back of his mind.
Speaker 1: No, but it was funny to me that you that's how great of a person. You can't even get a mean tone. Thank you us, thank you can't get a mean tone, which is complete opposite of the episode that we're going to do today. Welcome to Dudes on Dudes. I'm Julian Edelman, I'm Rob Grandkowski, and this show is where your favorite dudes getting talked about their favorite dudes. And on today's episode, we have a very AFS North type of episode.
Speaker 3: All you Hard Knocks fans gear up because this is the first time that's going down where they have all four teams in the division in season Runkle, what do we get into tough guys having hair like that, Like does that make you look stronger, faster and bigger? It makes you look meaner.
Speaker 1: And we get into these are the kind of quarterbacks you want that you dream of? Yeah, because he's gonna sit in that pocket, he's going.
Speaker 3: To deliver the book. And also we get into when I'm glad that his heyday was before my heyday because I probably want to have had.
Speaker 1: Of had a hey day then, like I know, we tossed around the word legend.
Speaker 2: Just unbelievable what he has done.
Speaker 3: And to have that courage to go out there and represent your community.
Speaker 2: You gotta tip your hat off.
Speaker 3: How easy important for you made it? Really you gotta stick around to the end.
Speaker 1: This is a fun episode. AFC Nord Tough Division.
Speaker 3: Let's you can see what it's about. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Dudes on Dudes is a production of iHeartRadio Gronk What's eight times four thirty two?
Speaker 3: Just making sure, just making sure.
Speaker 1: On today's episode, we're going to talk about the AFC North because HBO is releasing this in season hard Knocks about the whole AFC North, which I'm pretty excited about. What are your first thoughts when you think of the AFC North rob.
Speaker 3: A tough division, one of the toughest divisions in all of football. I mean, you got the Pittsburgh Steelers, you got the Steel Curtain defense, you got the Baltimore Ravens, which have one of the well known defenses of our generation.
Speaker 2: Of our generation that they're tough, hard nos.
Speaker 3: They take absolutely no garbage, and they're they're there to make plays and also they're there they'll light you up if they have a chance out on the field, So you got to always have your heads up or else they might take your head off.
Speaker 1: Without a doubt.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just it's straight toughness. If you could throw Cincinnati in there too, And when we played them a bunch, it was always a one as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, Cleveland was always tough, and that's why they're they're known as the dog Pound, the dog Pound in Cleveland at their home stadium.
Speaker 2: Man, it really was.
Speaker 3: I mean we lost to Cleveland what my rookie year, and they didn't have a good team, but they had a tough soob running back in the Pyton hillis Peyton. He represented that division like like no other in the AFC North. I mean, he just he was running fools over that game, running jumping.
Speaker 1: Anytime we played Baltimore, it was always super tough, the Steelers fucking tough always. I mean we always won those games. We won a lot of those games, but it was never easy.
Speaker 2: It was never easy.
Speaker 3: And coach always just stated to us, always repeated himself that it's gonna take all four orders to beat these guys. And you gotta be a tough football player. You got to be mentally tough. In order to win versus anyone in the AFC North, and the way to win is that you gotta keep pushing, You got to keep grinding, and you got to be tougher than them when it comes down to it in the fourth quarter and you can't make the mistakes and let them make the mistakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, without a doubt, because it was just tough football. You what do you think about them having a hard knocks in season?
Speaker 3: So the hard knocks and season, I think it's really cool for fans and you know, the way that this generation set up now with social media, all these apps, you know, and getting insight information on players and getting first looks at what's going on. I think it's great for the NFL. I think it's great for players to get their name out there. I think it's great for the teams in their city. Just everything's great about it. I would say the only thing that's not great about it is if you're just a player and you're a low key player. And there's plenty of those players in the NFL that just want to go in and do their business and don't care about the cameras, don't care about the pitchers, don't care about them getting the praise that they should be get. They just want to go in, do their job, get a paycheck, make sure they do their job right. And that's the only problem I have with it is that it just gets in the way. Sometimes it's just distraction. It can be, so you can't let it be a distraction. I feel like it's really not you know, compared to like ten years ago, it was more of a distraction because there's only one team doing it. Now everyone's doing it, so it's kind of the norm. And when it's the norm, it's a less of a distraction. When something's not a norm, it's way more of a distraction. So but still, like guys like you and I, we would kind of take that as a distraction, like get the fing cameras out of our face. We want to do what we want to do. You know, we'll be doing our speaking out on the football field.
Speaker 1: I think it's fucking crazy. I think it's crazy that I would not want cameras in seeing how we're forming our team. I'm not going to speak for Bill, but I'm pretty sure he feels that too, like there's no way you're getting cameras in there.
Speaker 3: I agree, Well, I'm talking to the business side of football, is right, I'm talking on the business side. That's great. But you just said I would hate it, and it was awesome. That coach, you know, Belichick, never would allow Hard Knocks to come in our locker room.
Speaker 2: It would drive all of us crazy.
Speaker 3: What are your favorite moments from Hard Knocks over the years, since you've been watching since when probably you know, since you were in high school? Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I I can remember the early ones, back when like Tony Sarrah Gusa and the Ravens, the Brian Billick Ravens were on. That was like, I think the first one and you had Shannon Sharp and then I always used to love another AFC North I used I used to love o Cho Cinco what he would call it, say the kiss the baby shit?
Speaker 3: All right, you like, remember, thank you, thank you for Hard Knocks because of Joe al Jo. Sinko was a dime, you know, a diamond, a dime.
Speaker 2: What am I saying?
Speaker 3: Dim dimond?
Speaker 2: There we go us.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't think that one works.
Speaker 2: I thought it did, but he was a diamond then he was a diamond.
Speaker 1: What about early one? Dola got cut, He got cut on hard Knocks. When he with the Cowboys, he did thank you the hard Knocks.
Speaker 2: Hard Knocks. Now we can always tease dollars.
Speaker 1: I know, what are your favorite hard knocks?
Speaker 3: I would say when I was in high school, the Cincinnati Bengals were on hart Knocks, and every single person in our high school watched Hard Knocks and it was kind of like a full circle moment. I mean, I thought it was so cool. What was wild? Hard Knocks made it seem like the movies like Friday Night Lights, the high school movies where you would watch it and then you would like turn your buddy and you're like, bro, man, everyone's so fast, everyone's so big, Like I can't compete versus those people, Like if I ever get to the NFL, there's no way, Like look how good they look like. Hard Knocks made it seem like like space creatures were coming on the planet Earth and plane in the NFL, and everyone was just so big.
Speaker 1: It was like slow motion football by the most elite athletes in Like slow motion looks amazing, and that's all hard knocks were.
Speaker 3: You slow, like the.
Speaker 1: Spiral down and the balls perfect or like slow motion getting off the ball and like hitting two guys hitting the sweats coming out. It's just it's very It's like you said, it's like a movie.
Speaker 3: And then they would show the one guy in the weight room squatting six hundred and fifty pounds and then the other guy benching five hundred pounds. I mean, not everyone was like that, but they made it seem like everyone was like that, and You're like, how am I gonna play in the NFL? I ain't. I ain't that strong, and I'm never gonna be that strong. But they just made it like a movie to where it was just so real to watch it was it was it was, what's the way word I'm looking for, like very cinematic?
Speaker 1: You know, It's exactly. It was like a movie cinematic.
Speaker 3: Here we go. So the Cincinnati Bengals wrong. I love the show, loved watching it. Jonathan Hayes, their tight end coach, always stole the show. He always brought the juice, and obviously I paid attention to him more throughout the show because I was a tight end and I wanted to play.
Speaker 2: In the NFL.
Speaker 3: So a full circle moment, I'm at the University of Arizona. I went to the combine, but I didn't really participate because I had backs. So I had my pro day. So all the teams came out for my pro day and who shows up to put me through all the drills one on one coach Jonathan Hayes of the Cincinnati Bengals. So I thought it was one of the coolest moments that the coach that I was watching at Hard Knocks with all my buddies in high school, and that's when all the shows are the coolest, like Entourage, freaking Hard Knocks is when you're in high school, you know. So I'm thinking, like, I'm one of the coolest guys ever at my pro day because of this situation. He put me through a hell of a workout too.
Speaker 2: Man, I almost need to kill it. I killed it. I had a wonderful pro day very well. Uh no, I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he ended up passing on me. Je ended up passing on me.
Speaker 2: So got the story the way.
Speaker 3: That not a happy ending, but it truly was a happy ending because I I got passed on. I went to the New England Patriots. Happened to me, Baby, let's go. So let's go to AFC North Jules, who we got enough talking about hard knocks. Us watching it when we were in high school, we never were on it because we didn't care about hot narks. We cared about taking care of our business out on the field, and that was gonna speak for us. That was our talking, and that was the product that we had, was put the work in and show it on Sundays. It was actually because Coach Balichick said no us. We would have probably loved to be honest, it would be fun. No, all right, nice laugh, all right? Who We got AFC North the first hour, going tough, tough division, tough defenses, and we just owned them all because we're tough players.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We didn't own them though. It was war for the Steelers.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go with Troy polu Malu, greatest hair, Troy pola Malu, Tasmanian. What I gotta say, start the clock.
Speaker 2: On Troy Polamalu.
Speaker 3: Troy polam Malo, a five ten, two hundred pounds safety, spent his entire NFL career with the Pittsburgh Steelers after being drafted sixteenth overall in the two thousand three NFL draft. I was born in nineteen eighty nine, so I was fourteen years old when he was drafted into the NFL. That's just a fun fact out there, so you were probably at sixteen seventeen. He was known for his explosive style, nos for the ball, uncanny instincts, and trademark flowing hair. He finished his career with thirty two interceptions, seven hundred and eighty three tackles, and three defensive touchdowns. He was an eight time Pro bowler, two times Super Bowl champion, and won the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in two thousand and ten. Wow, that was my rookie season, solidifying his status as one of the most versatile and disruptive safeties in the game. He was named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in twenty twenty. Well, let me tell you this, Jewels, he was a little another fun fact in twenty ten when he was All Pro safety and I was a rookie. I scored three toutsounds versus that defense. I scored three touchsounds versus and All Pro safety that year in two thousand. No NFL Defensive Player of the Year in two thousand ten. It necessarily wasn't on him. He wasn't covering me, but still he was still on the defensive side. Of the ball and I forgot he was the defensive player of the Year too in twenty ten. Maniac love him the Tasmanian Devil.
Speaker 1: He really is. I mean I grew up in the Bay Area, so there was a lot of Polynesian people in my communities. Like my high school football team was like probably sixty percent Polynesian, either Samoan or Tongan or Hawaiian. Anytime there was a like a like a Polynesian football player that was a stud in our circles, they were like gods. Like it was when I was real young. It was Junior Seau and then it became Troy Paulamalu, who like he was like the god of all gods for all these dudes that like he was just a fucking maniac on the field, he was like the nicest dude. He used to hit guys and do little prayers afterwards because he was so nice.
Speaker 3: Sould.
Speaker 1: I just remember always loving this guy because of all the Polly's in my neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Did he ever hit you and then like just kind of like prayed over you, Julian Has that never happened, you know?
Speaker 1: I remember I had to block him a couple of times. And I did catch like a ghost route on him once, but then he like he leveraged me out of bounds. He'd ever blew me up or anything. He was one of those once again in that like Cam Chancellor category where he's like a polite competitor. He never really talked shit. He was he was kind of all about his business, and like, that's how I felt when I played against.
Speaker 3: And those are the guys you don't want to tick off either. Never mean, they're already so good and so fierce playing on the field, but they're also so nice. So imagine you just tick them off. You you bring him to that next level where they're not nice anymore. Imagine just their amplify, amplifying this, there's amplifying nous. Yes, amplifying this thiss there we go. Baby. Just imagine how much more that would be, how much more of those hits would hurt if you tick them off? What I the bottom He was a ball hawk bro out on the field, always around the ball, no matter what the situation was.
Speaker 2: He was a deep safety.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you he was in the backfield more than he was back in his own backfield. On the dee from the side of the ball, making sacks, making tackles for losses, and well I really loved the bottom too.
Speaker 2: Just knew how to jump the snap. Yeah, by the time, better than anyone.
Speaker 3: He time snaps.
Speaker 1: Like there's like probably like five six plays of him jumping over the line of scrimmage on like a fourth and one and grabbing the quarterback and getting a head start for the QB sneak like. He was just a guy that knew the football, always around the football, blew up screens, he was playing in the box always, he was tough in the run game. He was a great blitzer. I would say he's a top five, top three blitzer blitzing safety of all time.
Speaker 3: Never, you know, rarely missed a tackle. Do you think he could have played receiver because just the way that he was such a ballhawk and the you know, the ball skill that he possessed.
Speaker 1: Probably because he you know, he would have been a great slot you know, he knows coverage and those guys. He's very instinctive with space in the field. He always made tough catches. It's it's different when the ball's coming to you. But you know, who are the other top blitzers you.
Speaker 3: Think Jamal Adams was a really good blitzer and you know a more a more recent guy who he was vicious, he was strong, he was a bulldozer coming through the middle. He touched me out the club a few times. Yeah, I saw that. I was right there, remember that. Yeah, I mean but you you you didn't back down, dude, And he was a young buck.
Speaker 2: You were hurting.
Speaker 3: I remember, you were hurting, but you still gave it to him. He could come in. He had himself out the play.
Speaker 2: He would he would himself out.
Speaker 1: He would literally blow me up, Like I go in to get the force. He would blow me up. He would run for fifteen right by him, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what makes Troy Polo Malu so great is that he would make those guesses and he would blow up the play, but he's also making the play. Yeah, he's not missing, and if he does miss, he's forcing the play to go back inside, or the to go outside or wherever he needs it to go. So then his teammates can make the play because of what he did, the force that that play to go where it was going. Just a wizard with the knowledge of the game. Unbelievable dude in coverage.
Speaker 1: These safeties, especially in this division AFC North, they were like fun football players to watch. When you watched Troy Paulamalu or like an Ed Reid or the you know, these are the guys that we played against and that are from our generations, so we know these guys. But you could say that about like the Ronnie lots of the back days, the at Wells, the Lynches, when you always had great safety like play, it was like fun guys to watch interceptions, big hits, you know, fumble recoveries. He just did it all and he was like a heartbeat a lot of those great defenses Pittsburgh Steelers had.
Speaker 3: I went to high school, actually my senior year in Pittsburgh. I'm All Pro or All State whatever defensive ends. So I get invited to this, you know, Pittsburgh galla off for high school football athletes. And then who's there, Troy polam Malo. Who's up on the stage. It's a dinner. Everyone's recognized, and then Troy Polamalu gives a speech and unbelievable speech. What a guy, What a guy? About faith, about doing the right thing. All the good stuff gets around of applause. Absolutely loved in Pittsburgh. This guy I loved him. Who didn't love even when I was facing him, I loved him. I'm sitting there. I'm sitting there though, just like looking at the best safety in the game, one of the best safeties in the game. And I'm in high school and I'm sitting there and he's giving the speech round of applause, and I just literally want to go up to him and tell him, Hey, I'm Rob Gronkowski. I'll be seeing you in a couple of years. I wanted to say that to him.
Speaker 1: How does hair look?
Speaker 3: It was good, looks exactly how it was every single day that he was playing all the way to this day. Great hair, unbelievable. So just full circle moment. It was just unbelievable. I set it to a couple buddies, I'm going to face Troy polamlo and then four you years later, I'm facing Troy polam Malu man. So I just thought that was a cool moment, just kind of put it in the perspective, kind of manifesting this guy who's a legend, who's speaking to me when I was in high school, that I'm going to go over some one day and it happened, and it was really cool because then I did over. So can you ask me what happened on a play when I went versus What did you? So?
Speaker 1: What did you do in your rookie year when you played him?
Speaker 3: Oh? It was my it was well, I scored three touchdowns versus Steelers my rookie year. But it wasn't versus Troy Polamalu. The play I'm talking about was my second year in the NFL. I did an in cut, caught the ball, Troy Polamlo went to tackle. He jumped on my back and I brought him for a ride for five freaking yards. Troy polam Malu went for a ride. It was like the Tom Brady going for a win that touchdown, but Troy palam Malo trying to tackle me. I got an extra five six yards and I'm still waiting for him to, you know, give me that change for the ride. You know when you put the quarter in? Yeah, what do you change where the horse?
Speaker 2: He goes?
Speaker 3: Get up, getting up, porsy like he was ge up, giddy up, giddy up orsy. Anybody stuck rock He's back. He played. I don't think he said anything.
Speaker 2: He played really hard.
Speaker 1: Maybe he he so he inspired you with that speech to manifest yourself to go. While he was saying that speech, You're like, I'm gonna go against him one day, hopefully.
Speaker 2: Not hopefully I was going to go against someone that. Wow, Joes, I know, I.
Speaker 3: Know you're a guy about looks and you know, scruffing up your beard and making sure you got the right jel to put your hair exactly where it needs to be placed. But what do you think about the greatest hair in the game, Troy polam ALUs.
Speaker 1: I mean, he had best hair anyone that was on the head and shoulders. He been on head and shoulders commercials for probably about fifteen years. I swear, I mean him and Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: But I got another question.
Speaker 3: Having hair like that, like Troy hat hair, does that make you look stronger, faster and bigger.
Speaker 1: It makes you look meaner? It does it makes you look like a fucking warrior? Bro he I could just see him doing the goddamn hakka when I see that hair coming at the back helmet.
Speaker 2: And talking about Polynesians as well.
Speaker 3: The hakka there isn't just me, but are all Polynesians just strong as hack? Right out of the wound, like they come out like they don't even have to work out, Like they'll go up. They do work out, they do, but they don't even have to and they'll just go up and they'll toss up four hundred on the bench press like it's nothing. You can't move Polynesians. Man, they're so strong and they're so they got so much space to the ground. Yeah, like they're attached, like their legs are in the ground.
Speaker 2: It feels like when you try to block.
Speaker 1: Them via vida vea, he's fucking just.
Speaker 2: Massive, three hundred and sixty pounds. You can't move that guy.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Massive.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, they're they're just strong humans. When I had lared Hamilton when he talked about the Polynesians and stuff, he's Hawaiian and stuff, like they're just cool people. They're very like traditioned and stuff about their traditions.
Speaker 3: Time Troy Polamalu, What kind of dude is Troy? Is he just did a freak dog whizz or dude's dude? Oh man, he can hit what I mean, he's definitely a whiz. I mean the knowledge of the dog in order to be in the backfield basically half of the plays. To make the plays and be able to time up the snap count and be able to jump the snap count. I mean, you got to know the game to another level. And also to be able to have that coverage that he has, the range in zone was just phenomenal.
Speaker 2: You got to you gotta be smart.
Speaker 1: When Yeah, I agree with you. He's definitely a whiz to me as well. The amount of screen plays that he blew up just instinctively reading the offensive lineman. You know, like you watch his highlight film. He blew up so many screens, pick screens. He also had great zone coverages. Like you said, he just felt like he was everywhere on the field and that's that's like very innovative and he's like just a wizard with how he was around.
Speaker 3: Man, I agree Randy. One two three whiz stamp stamp, whiz whiz. All right, it's out there. It's in the mailbox. There's a stamp like all over this piece of mail. But it's well known that he's a whiz. Okay, stand you can't get off. It's like when it's on your skin, just under the shot when you go to the bar, just washing it off.
Speaker 2: Like fifty times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you come home and that ink, you're like, I don't want to show my mind, mouse out and you're just under the sink for ten minutes and.
Speaker 1: Then you have red marks and she sees like, Hey, what were you scrubbing on your your poem or what were you scrubbing on.
Speaker 2: Or is that a hickey?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, we'll.
Speaker 1: Be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 2: Who we got brow?
Speaker 3: Put him up his pocket passers in the game right now ten minutes. Joe Joey B fucking cool to say I have to say about Joey. Let's say I say about Joe Burrow. Sending at six four and weighing two hundred and fifty pounds two hundred and fifteen two hundred and fifteen pounds, fuck was drafted number one overall in twenty twenty, and just five seasons he's made his mark. Is one of the league's premier young quarterbacks, with three trips to the playoffs and a Super Bowl appearance. Raised in Ohio, his college football journey took him from Ohio State to LSU, where he won the Heisman Trophy in the National Championship. Having one of the greatest seasons in college football history. Actually, that's the first time I've ever heard about Joe Burrow or seen him play, or just learned anything about him was the National Championship game when he was at LSU and I literally was sitting there like, this guy is Tom Brady of college football and just the first game I've seen him play, actually in the first half, just watching him go. But like back to this, he's not only recognized as an emerging face in the league, but also for his charitable work throughout his home state of Ohio. Jules, what is the first thing you think of when you hear the name Joe Burrow?
Speaker 1: Joe Cool? First team comes, Mike Kids Cool. We all, I think we were all watching those those National Championship year games in like the meal rooms before games with all of our teammates. You remember watching those and like you'd watch these LSU teams and yeah, they had a lot of great players, but he was just dice in the fulls. I think he beat like every record you could beat, passing, throwing yards, this, that in college. So when he came in, it was like, who's this kid gonna be? Like he had a stand, he had he played himself into some craziness, like this guy, who is this kid? Then he came in, he played, He went to damn Super Bowl the Cincinnati Bengals like two years into his career, which was crazy. Like he's just he's backed shit up. He's always been the guy and he's backed it up. I think he's just a calm, cool collec guy.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I love his game. I love watching him play climbs the pocket like as a receiver. These are the kind of quarterbacks you want, that you dream of. Yeah, because he's gonna sit in that pocket, He's gonna find you. He's gonna deliver the ball. You know, I don't want guys that are run it because you get the ball. I love the way he just slides up in that pocket every time. He's just got such great pocket presence. And that's why I loved him so much when I watched him in the National Championship Game, because that's what he was showing.
Speaker 2: And that's what Tom does as well.
Speaker 3: The best pocket passers in history actually probably the best, and that's what makes him the greatest quarterback for all the time. It's not like he was running around because he was such a great pocket presence and he would slide right up, and he just kept delivering that ball right on the money, and he was he was reading the whole entire field and every guy was covered, but he stayed so cool with in the National Championship game, and then all of a sudden, he just looked to his left poop and just dish it off to the running back. He would get ten and he would just always know who to go to find the guy that's open, never force the ball. And if he does force the ball, he's going to force it in a pocket to where only his receiver can get it and not the defenders. And that's what makes this guy so great at the quarterback position. No ansiffs or busts up butts about it, Jules, I know.
Speaker 1: And that's like when when you say pocket presence, when when you watch a guy like who has good pocket presence, for example, Brady, it's a it's when he can step up or slide to the right while he's keeping his eyes down the field to buy himself half a second to deliver the football. Like it's not like it's rat athletic, but it's like a sixth sense where you know where to go to stay in the pocket. So the guy running the hump goes over you. You know, the pocket pressure. The guard comes this way, you step this way, you go to your left a little, and it's like a sixth sense. And you see that with Joe Burrow. There are so many third downs where he steps up, knows where his last read is, finds that Incut delivers a good ball. You know, I'm really sad about their team right now because they're really good. I feel like they're better than what they're doing. But he's a stud.
Speaker 3: And when you have a quarterback like that, I can step up in the pocket and stay in the pocket as well, you know, extend the time in the pocket because he just got the great pocket present. This is when you actually as a receiver, you cannot cut your bouts short. No, you have to get all your depth that you need to get. Say you got a twelve yard Incut, you have to get the twelve yards because it's all about timing with this guy. And this timing goes from practice to a game because when you have a pocket present's quarterback, it's not street ball. It's real football, and it's the hardest football to defend when you got a quarterback like this. So get your depth in the in the receiving game, if you're a wide receiver or a tight end, and do all the little details that you need to do because that ball is going to come eventually. You don't know when, but it's gonna come. And if you're the fifth read, always be ready for it because if all four reads are covered, it's going to the fifth read every single time.
Speaker 1: Depth in spacing is only really important on zone man coverage.
Speaker 3: You can break your depth.
Speaker 2: And yeah, man coverage.
Speaker 1: What do you think about when you hear he's a coach's son, What does that mean to you?
Speaker 3: Coach's son means like kind of like a coach's pet. But like I don't see that with Joey b Like that's kind of.
Speaker 1: What he was say the son of a coach?
Speaker 2: Is he is?
Speaker 1: He?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think his dad. His dad's a big coaching It's.
Speaker 2: It's literal, he's a coach.
Speaker 3: But you're talking about him being with the Bengals like he's a coach's son.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, he's literally.
Speaker 3: A coach all right.
Speaker 1: Well then, so like in the scouting report, if he's a son of the coach, is that a good thing? Is that that means he's smart, loves ball, round ball.
Speaker 3: You know it exists in the family. You know, it's a trade that that's a pass down. I mean, it's good to know that family members. The tradition of football exists in the family. Yeah, that means you got toughness, that means you got grit. And if one family member in the decade and then there's another family member, that means that's a football family and that's who you want on your team.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: Like if I have a kid, I mean they hear gronk Is, you know, Mini grok Is on their team that you want. That same with Jules. Oh we got little Julian Edelman coming. If you have a boy, but eventually a football team, maybe your daughter will be the first kicker, maybe playing football ever know, yeah you never know. She played soccer right now, so hopefully she is the first. But they're gonna be like we got.
Speaker 2: An element out of the team.
Speaker 3: This is amazing, Like it's just passed down, Like it's just a tradition of just football.
Speaker 2: Now, just passed down football.
Speaker 1: You gonna get her a flag and you ever meet Joe Joe cool I have we did it. We didn't Nerve Shoot Together, Nerve Shoot Okay, or Super Bowl week before he was about to get drafted. It's him McCaffrey Adams from from from the Jets at the time, the safety we talked about earlier and we did this content. He was a cool kid. He just got a he's got a confidence look about him. He's just confident, you know. It's not cocky. It's just like we had him do a scene where he had to throw a football, like one of those little nerve footballs, and the dude like threw it over the house and like walked off, and it was just like, yeah, that's pretty fucking cool. You know, he's not even trying to be cool, but he is. He's uh, just comes naturally. It just comes natural.
Speaker 3: You ever meet him, yes, one time and it was actually this year. So we got to go way back a little bit, like when Malcolm Brown was drafted to the Patriots, like whatever, how many years ago?
Speaker 2: That was what.
Speaker 3: Twenty fifteen, our first round picked, he tackle out of Texas. I got a text message that night, the knight of the draft, and it was like, hey, Rabbits Malcolm Brown, Like pleasure to be on your team. I can't wait to get back to work in the football field, you know, and just to honor to be your teammate. It was something along those lines, and I wrote back like, man, you know, great to have you on and that Eventually that night called the number and it was it was not Malcolm Brown. Well, I got duped. It was just a random fan and they duped me to answer back and saying it was Malcolm Brown. So my phone number got passed around somehow, some way, and I got duped. Like I got got as Marshaun Lynch would say in his Black Guys, I got got all right, I got got so now fast forward. I was like, I ain't ever gonna let that shit happen to me ever again. I ain't answering random numbers, Like if someone has my number, it's because I know they have my number something. That's my official rule from here on out. After I retired with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, my second stint in the NFL, they're like, everyone's still trying to get me to play, you know, ask me questions in the media, and I had to do some media rounds. You're like, yo, who is the quarterback that you would love to play with you know to this day, and era like playing right now, and it can't be Brady obviously. I'm like, obviously, I'm not gonna pick Brady. I'm like Joe Burrow, but he because he reminds me of Brady, and I just love the way that he presents himself in the pocket, went everywhere, went everywhere, And I retired that year and then I get a text message, Yo, Gronk, what's up man? I saw I saw you talking about me in the media. It's Joe Burrow, like, I would love for you if you came to the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: I was like, I was like.
Speaker 3: I ain't getting what. I'm like, I ain't getting God again, like this this is nuts, Like I ain't falling for this ship, Like I ain't gonna answer. I thought it was cool as shit, though, I was like, this would be cool as hell if this is Joe Burrow trying to recruit me to go to the Bengals. But also at the same time, he's got to know I'm tapped out. He does not want me on that team, but he thinks he does because of my history. But when I'm tapped out and I know I'm not playing football anymore. You don't want me Julis. Yeah, so I'm gonna tell you that just you know myself naive. I mean, you do, but you do. I would have still been good. He still would have been even when you're covered, you're not covered. I'm at the White Party this year, shout out to Michael Rubin having the White Party, and I go up to him. I walk right by and I'm like, oh, what up, Joe. You know, nice to meet you. It was the first time I've ever met him. And then like within like ten seconds, he's like, yo, you like something along the line like yo, you never responded to me, and like I knew exactly what he was talking about. And I was like, no freaking way that that was actually you. Bro. He's like, yeah, I texted you like after you said like that you wanted to play with me in the media. I wanted you to come to Cincinnati. And I was like, bro, I never thought in a million years that was you.
Speaker 2: Bro. I was like, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I apologize man, because I loved Joe b yeah, and because of Malcolm Brown text message because someone got me. So I was just at that time, I was like, bro, I'm sorry bro, I love your game, and I was like, you don't want me. You didn't want me anyway, So it was a good thing I didn't answer. I turned into that. So in that situation, just take a guess, Just go with your heart, and if.
Speaker 2: You truly believe who's touching you at that.
Speaker 3: Moment, you should have faced if you don't know the number time.
Speaker 1: What kind of dude is Joe Burrow?
Speaker 2: That's easy, man.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously he's kind of a dude's dude for sure.
Speaker 4: He is too cool. You can't dude's do when you're too now, when you're too cool. He's got some dog, you know he does. He's got some wings in them. But I think he's just a stud.
Speaker 3: He is at That's what I was going with. I'm not even going to argue with that. The dog that I saw in him was after National Championship game when he smoked that cigar and just sat there and like did those interviews or whatever and took a couple of pictures with the cigar in his mouth. That was dog like for sure, But it's also he's steadily enough to do it.
Speaker 1: They took back and everything he had a little Jerry, He's got the little he got the Superman curl, He's got the Superman a little smooth hey, right out the frosted tips.
Speaker 3: I mean, are you jealous of his Superman hair?
Speaker 2: Look? Hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, hell you kind of got that going a little bit. No, but not to his level.
Speaker 1: No, he's like, I got this straight ass Taylor ware. Yeah, Joe Burrow, he's too cool. He's definitely stamp it.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 1: Let's get on Ed Rear.
Speaker 3: Coach Balichick's favorite defensive player besides, who's that guy from the New York Giants Jewels that he loves as.
Speaker 1: Well, Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 3: Lawrence Taylor always gets a hard on for Lawrence Taylor. But he had another fall. He got about like three quarterschob for Ed Reed.
Speaker 1: We used to call Ed Reed Edard Belichick. So let's see what AI asked to say.
Speaker 3: Well, you couldn't blame coach Balichick because Red was was a baller. He was a ball or athletic.
Speaker 2: All right, start the clock.
Speaker 3: Ed Reid standing at five foot eleven and weighing two hundred five pounds at replay safety for the Baltimore Ravens, Houston Texans, and New York Jets. The Jets when he played for ye late late twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: They must have been one season.
Speaker 3: One season. Drafted twenty fourth overall, he just probably wanted that, you know, final check, because why would he go to the Jets in twenty thirteen?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 3: Drafted twenty fourth overall in two thousand and two out of the Universe of Miami. He was known for his high football IQ, play making, abillity, and unmatched leadership. He was a game changer, finishing his career with sixty four interceptions, fifteen one hundred and ninety interception return yards cool and seven defensive touchdowns. He was a nine time Pro Bowler, two thousand and four NFL Defense Player of the Year, and is an all time NFL leader in interception return yards. I was going to say that right when I heard that number as well, I was like, that has to be an all time record. I ran, No, one must be close. He played his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens. Oh wait, wait say ai hey A, you just said he played for three teams. In the first sentence and now the last sentence. He played his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens that ain't true and help bring them their second Super Bowl victory with a win over the forty nine Ers and Super Bowl forty seven. Now, he played for three teams, Houston Texans and the New York Jets. But he had his best you know, career years obviously with the Baltimore Raasons, then just finished off with the with the irrelevant years didn't matter. He's definitely a Baltimore Raven for life, Miami Hurricane for player for life.
Speaker 2: The U, I mean he's known.
Speaker 3: He put the he helped put the U on the map and also helped, you know, put that defense of the Baltimore Ravens on the map as well. This is why Lewis the Ray Lewis. I mean, that's why they were known as the toughest defense in in the NFL. Ray Lewis Ed Reid And what's his yeah, Tiz Drouse.
Speaker 2: Oh loading nada man, that dude, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: He's like Vita vea basic three hundred and sixty pounds, just massive, blows up holes you can't move them. But what's the first thing you think of about Ed Reid when you hear his name, Jules?
Speaker 1: First thing I think of is cover for red area.
Speaker 3: Him blowing me up.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, he.
Speaker 3: Blew me up in that. Remember when you played ther first.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh remember that we were playing there? Uh he oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he lit me up.
Speaker 2: But you got right back up though I did.
Speaker 3: We ended up scoring you. A tough s o b Jules, But that nah, he tough son of a gun. He was just the.
Speaker 1: First thing, like he was just everywhere, like what's that one? There's that one thing. Two thirds of the earth is covered by water, the other third is covered by Ed Reid. Like that.
Speaker 3: That is what I think of when I think of Ed Reid.
Speaker 1: Got to compete against him from a very young age at my rookie year, and that's when we were going. They were coming and beating us in Foxborough. We were battling them in the AFC Championship. You remember those early years that we battled him. That was like our Denver in the back of our our career where we were going playing the toughest, you know what I mean. It just was always a battle and Ed Reid was just a very predictable dude to try to get a beat on.
Speaker 3: He baited QBS in the mistakes all the time, all the time, all the time you ever meet him.
Speaker 2: I never met ed Reid.
Speaker 3: No, I never have man, And it was good because I really never met him on the field either, which is a good thing. I played my rookie year, but I really didn't play that much versus Baltimore Ravens my rookie year, probably like twenty thirty plays. I never really had a chance to match up with him, and then he was kind of onto the next teams, like those irrelevant years on those teams of just not really playing Veru some But I just remember him in the heyday though, which was good. I'm glad that his heyday was before my heyday because I probably wouldn't have have had a heyday then if there's had Reed still in his hey day when I was there. But just what I really loved about him.
Speaker 2: Was just his range.
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, he was a guesser and he baited quarterbacks and the mistakes, but also he bade him in the mistakes and then have that range to cover that mistake that the quarterback is making, Yeah, get you to throw that deep ball and act like he was out of coverage. But he was so fast and athletic. He would go and get that deep ball and make that interception. You want to know how good a Reid was, how jewels, how good he was. What did Tom have to do in the playoffs in twenty eleven, in that AFC Championship game. What did he have to do?
Speaker 2: Because that Reid was.
Speaker 3: Just that guy.
Speaker 1: I remember he used to have to put in his on his wristband because you know, for extended plays sometimes if you had to check with me, you'd have a lengthy verbiage thing, so we put it on there. Yeah, I bet you he had the reminder that said fine number twenty because he was just that big of a focal point of that defense he was, you know what I mean, that's how much.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just fine number twenty.
Speaker 3: It was fine number twenty on every play every locate him and throw the ball the other way.
Speaker 2: It didn't say throw the ball any way.
Speaker 1: But you gotta find him.
Speaker 3: Yep, you gotta find him. You gotta know where he is. You got a base to playoff of him. You gotta alert it, you gotta alert all. When Tom's doing that, that means he doesn't like where twenty.
Speaker 1: Is exactly h without a doubt, And I remember plays where Tommy used to talk about, you know, he'd watch ed Reid and ed Reid would be on the ground and he's got like the deep third and he'd be on the ground in the box, lying on the ground like a goddamn lion, and then get up and sprint back there and go pick a ball. Like that's kind of instinct that he had. But what I loved about Ray also because early on my career I was a return I was a special teamer, and whenever we played against the Baltimore Ravens, on all units, he was a fucking problem on our punt return or our punt team. He had the up and under on the field goal block. He had the up and under like he used to block kicks, scoop scores, He returned kicks for touchdowns. He just was an all around fucking unbelievable football player that young football players need to watch and not try to emulate, because not everyone can be ed Reid. Not everyone can do that, but like understand that, like this dude's like a freak.
Speaker 3: What would you say is the better safety between the two ultimate safeties in the AFC North Troy Polamalu or Aed Reed.
Speaker 1: That's so hard. They're different players. I think of Ed as more of a deep safety, like a free I think of Paula Malu more of a like a strong safety.
Speaker 3: So I think they're different.
Speaker 1: Both just electric football players that you want to play with, Like I would love to get to play with them, because the amount of practice against them that you would get, like it would make you a better football player.
Speaker 2: Sure, what iron sharpens on?
Speaker 3: What do you think? It depends on the scheme. It depends on the defensive coach, what their mindset is. Like you said, if you have a scheme where the safeties, you know, are blitzing more and making more plays in the backfield and acting more of like a linebacker, you got to go with Troy Polamalu. But if you have a scheme where it's more about coverage, you gotta go with ad Reed, no doubt about it. I mean, this guy could cover any part of the field at any given time, even if he's on one side. If he has one half of the field, he can go to the other half and give help to the safety once the ball is released so fast and just so quick.
Speaker 2: And what's so great about him too.
Speaker 3: Is just his ball skills man, he would like tip that ball to him like all the time for an interception like and then wide receiver skills.
Speaker 1: Post interception, he'd be throwing you throw the ball back. They always you always had to be alert for a lateral or remember he stole the ball from his teammate to pick it when he was about to fall down. Out of players who didn't play for coach Belichick, who do you think is on the mount rushmore of guys that he loves, because I for sure Ed Reid would.
Speaker 2: Be obviously Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 1: We just talked we played for him, but that we didn't play that we didn't play with What do.
Speaker 2: You mean didn't like that coach that that didn't coach?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Maybe that so because he coached Lawrence Taylor. He coached Lawrence Taylor's out of them, but he's still on there. He's still he's still on there, Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Ed, I would say Ed Reed might might be number one. Then the guy that coach Belichick never coached, never dreamed of coaching. Sorry, Devin mccordy, we got your back. You want to rate dudes on dudes?
Speaker 2: Well, coach Chuck.
Speaker 3: Love that read got him.
Speaker 1: Who else would be on there? Who else did he love?
Speaker 3: Probably like a. I mean, well, he coached Cam Newon. He loved Cam Newing. I always talked about Cam Newing, you gotta contain him in the pocket. But then he coached Cam Newon, So that one doesn't really count.
Speaker 2: But it was him.
Speaker 3: Love Peyton Manny, no doubt about it. Love another guy at a legend played way back in the day, Jim Brown.
Speaker 1: Bill Bill loved Jim Brown. He whenever that is that is such a good pool because anytime there would be just guys slapped. We'd be slap digging in the locker room and Bill be coming in with his little fucking towel. You know, you go to the treadmill with this binder and his towel. You're going to watch him film on the tread and guys be arguing about shit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Bill sometimes would say something. He'd be like, hey, you know what I mean? And I remember someone guys were arguing about top top running backs of all time.
Speaker 3: Oh it's this guy. It's this guy.
Speaker 1: I think he just said Jim Brown. You guys don't know, fucking Jim Brown's best football player. Like he loves Jim Brown loves loves Jim Brown.
Speaker 3: What about Ed Reid's you know college days? He was he was the guy at the U, Like he exemplified what the U was all about. Tough, hard and nosed football players that gave no damn, no damn out there out on the field, gave it. They're all and this just represents them in just one play. What you got jewels about that? I mean, look at Miami versus Boston College two thousand and one. Miami was up twelve seven late in the game and Boston College was in the red zulum.
Speaker 2: Do you remember this play?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of the most famous college football players of all time. He got deflected into what one of his defensive linemen ad reed, strips the ball from him and takes an eighty yards to the house. Yeah, and they ended up winning eighteen to seven.
Speaker 1: Flashy like their defense, Like it just just fun flash Yeah, we'll put it in. He's also like a speech giver. You know you look at this one speech. I'm sitting there. They're up twenty one to three at halftime. He was pissed at Miami's effort because they were like national champion hopes. This was when the U is the freaking U. Here you go and and Ed Reid, I'm hurt, don't ask me if I'm all right. I'll put my heart in this ship. Let's go, man.
Speaker 2: And what happened?
Speaker 1: They go and blow him out forty nine seven?
Speaker 2: And then what what happened?
Speaker 1: End of the year, lose the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: They won the national championship BCS National Championship. That is two thousand and one. The U was the you who didn't love you.
Speaker 1: He's on the Mount Rushmore. You guys too, isn't he? Ray Lewis m h I mean, what offensive guys? Michael Irving Gores there, Shocky, there's a couple. There's a bunch of tight ends.
Speaker 2: What about Andre Johnson.
Speaker 1: Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne Orren.
Speaker 2: Sap oh Man just goes on that.
Speaker 1: I want to hear what people think. Who's on that big V. How can you forget about Big vidude? Greg Olsen? I mean you when we were kids, man.
Speaker 2: You know what. I love the U. Dude.
Speaker 3: I got an offer from the U to go play tight end there. Yeah, I wasn't gonna go. There was at the very and I just thought like I was complete because I got the offer from you, like it just made me satisfied, Like, yeah, I could play at the you but I'm not going there, but I could play that I got the offer.
Speaker 1: I was, you know, very happy, but you when I was when I you know, when you're in eighth grade and you do that thing where you write a letter to yourself and then your teacher saves it and then sends it to you and you're a senior in high school. Mine's went along the lines of something like this, like, it's good to see that you're probably going to be signing your your commitment letter to University of Miami. I hope you enjoyed the sunshine. I wanted to go to the U so bad. I wrote to myself in eighth grade to a fucking myself in the future. And little that I know, I was ended up at JUCO and yeah, didn't didn't go.
Speaker 3: To the end. And then Kent.
Speaker 2: It was kind of it was close to close because.
Speaker 3: There's that was in your class. It was close.
Speaker 2: That was close. Rounded up at Kent.
Speaker 3: It was like that we can't do the U, but we can do the Kent, which is kind of near Miami, but the Miami Ohio. Yeah, yeah, So it was never offered to go to Kent and then you would still you would still be in a junior college right now. To go beat beat you.
Speaker 1: You manifested play against Joey Paul Mulu. I have manifested play against Miami of Ohio, Baby.
Speaker 3: Miami, Ohio grade school. My friend went there to him twice, and let me tell you, we had a good time. And my jersey is up on the wall and it got stolen. It was right next to big bench. Jersey forgot. The place we went to, oh Man, Miami House was crazy.
Speaker 1: Sean McVay went. I played against Sean McVay when he went to Miami.
Speaker 3: While he's that young, Yeah he's that No, no, he's that young.
Speaker 1: He's both because he's a head coach, I know, but he was a head coach ten years ago. I think he got any twenty.
Speaker 2: What position did he play?
Speaker 3: He was the receiver slot. He had a catch against us, Yeah, just one, though I don't really remember him.
Speaker 2: I trying to get you now.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you remember me. That's what we're talking about, all right. I love time. What kind of dude is Edrie oh Man? I mean, definitely a wizard, because you got to know the game of football, especially on the defensive side of the ball, in order to bait your quarterback into throwing the ball so you can go make an interception. But he absolute dog too when he made that interception, brought it to the house, stripping his lineman in college so he can go for an eighty hour touchdown, he thought, returning as well as the most electric returns in most yardage return in the NFL history for the player Black.
Speaker 1: When you're when you're the superstar on defense and you're still playing in the kicking game, that's fucking dog.
Speaker 3: That's when you know you're a legend. That's a dog.
Speaker 2: That's when you know you're a football player as well.
Speaker 1: Mental toughness, always motivated. You knew met you knew Ed Reid was motivated.
Speaker 2: Heart and soul of the U.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean there's so many hearts there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there was so many hearts.
Speaker 3: But one of them one of the heart and souls of the U. One of the heart and souls. So dog, dog, dog stamping damp it dog.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this quick break, all right. And to cap off our last all right here, let's get on Jim Brown what's a I gotta say about Jim Brown?
Speaker 2: Start the clock.
Speaker 3: Jim Brown was a six foot two and thirty two pound powerhouse. A four spoor.
Speaker 2: Athlete at the University of Syracuse. He was drafted six.
Speaker 3: Overall by the Cleveland Browns in nineteen fifty seven. He quickly established himself as a dominant force in the league. Over nine seasons, he piled up twelve three hundred and twelve career rushing yards, a career average of five point two yards per carry, and scored one hundred and twenty six touchdowns, leading the league and rushing eight times. He was named NFL MVP three times. Off the field, he was a Hollywood leading man with a lengthy film resume and a noted civil rights advocate. He is Jim Brown for you, ladies and gentlemen, Jules, what is the first thing you think of when you hear the name Jim freakin Brown?
Speaker 2: Here he is ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Like I know, we tossed around the word legend, but that's that's what I think about when you think of Jim Brown. There's like so many facets of everything in life, just life that Jim Brown has done great things in fullanthropy, supporting his community in the movie business. On the football field, retired on his own terms. Was a great out like an outstanding man off the field that like mentored a lot of our guys, a lot of football players that that Cleveland Summit pitcher, which you know, which is a huge thing for not just our you know, not just sports, but for our country to see some of the elite men in sports that everyone loves the community binder the sports are to see these guys step out for their community in that Cleveland Summit him, you know, Jim Brown, Kareema Jewel Jabbar, Bill Russell, Muhammad Ali, like these guys were the pinnacle of pinnacle of the athletes, support their community and have you know, be proud of what they were and what they stand for. Like that takes a lot of balls, really does. That's what Jim Brown was And that's.
Speaker 3: Why I love athletics so much because it doesn't matter about your race, your background, where you came from. You know, everything's fair in the athletic world, and you get a platform as well. And just the way that they use their platform. Kareema Abdul Jabbar, you know, Jim Brown, Muhammad al Lee to expand their community and that everyone's treated equal and that's just how it should be one. I mean, back in the day, we didn't really live in that era. I mean I couldn't even imagine it, like like being like that, like just unbelievable what he has done. And to have that, you know, like you said, to have that courage to go out there and represent your community, you gotta tip your hat off always. And he's one of the you know, main founders of doing that, along with many other players like baseball players like Jackie Robinson and those guys. I mean, hats off to them for their their.
Speaker 1: Current, but he's one of He's one of the football guys for us that was a pillar in trying to make things better when I think of him. Also, Bill also loved him because he was a lax guy. I mean he was a four sport athlete.
Speaker 3: I mean, and to be a lax guy, you know back in the day like that, I mean he wasn't. I mean he could what was his for sport he played? And he played all four at Syracuse too, which is a.
Speaker 1: Cross football, basketball, on track.
Speaker 3: How do you do that? How do you play four sports in college? Like? How Jim Brown did. That's how I bet he played lacrosse like like like kind of like a football player. Like no, no, you know when a football player is playing basketball, though they could still be the best basketball player in the court, but you could tell they're a football player.
Speaker 1: Like myself, Jim Brown was the best lacrosse player in the world.
Speaker 3: But I bet you he was like playing like a football player though, Like when he was getting that lacrosse sick, he was probably carrying it like a football a little bit, like right into his chest and just kind of like stiff roming guys away from him and just running down the field and then then shooting it and scoring. I feel like that's how he played. I mean whatever, I bet you he was just unstoppable.
Speaker 1: I mean he shot a seventy seven on his fifth time ever playing golf. A seventy seven. That's two what is that? Five over par? Like that's that's when you know you're fucking You're just touched by God and you know, like a lot of people want to say, because of the generation he played this that.
Speaker 3: Six three to two thirty two.
Speaker 1: Nowadays, if he was in the in the generation of the science, the supplements, the information, the training, the diet. If he was in that nowadays, you think he'd still be two thirty two. This dude was doing that off cobs, milkshakes, hop tubs, all of it. These guys were doing it off just like they had another job in the off seas.
Speaker 3: So being two hundred and thirty two pounds back in the day running four four, running four to four, I mean he was bigger than some defensive tackles I feel like, I mean they were only like two forty two fifty. It's equivalent to him being like two hundred and ninety pounds right now, just all muscles, just playing.
Speaker 1: You know, in the backfield, he'd be like Derek Derreck Henry.
Speaker 3: And he just ran away from everyone. He was bigger than everyone on the field at that time, bigger and faster and stronger, and just the base that he had, everyone just.
Speaker 2: Bounced off him.
Speaker 1: He didn't miss a play rob in his eight year career. Can you imagine I'm missing a play And this is back when you know these guys they didn't.
Speaker 3: Have Matterson wasn't the same.
Speaker 1: They didn't have great cleats, they didn't have any equipment.
Speaker 2: The rehab was it was totally different.
Speaker 1: You just went out there cigarettes on the sideline.
Speaker 2: Drinking, freaking a shot at halftime and.
Speaker 1: Then also like one of the first black action heroes. Hey, I used to love Dirty Dozen. I loved him in The Running Man. I used to love that movie. And the guy lives right down down the street for me, the guy that produced it. I got a shout out to him. See him walking all the time. He's always talking. I'm remaking The Running Man. I'm remaking The Running Man. I'm like, awesome, man, what's well?
Speaker 3: What my favorite thing about it? I never seen The Running Man. I gotta see it now. So oh, you love and hang out with the director as well and feel cool like now he's a director, producer.
Speaker 2: Or the producer.
Speaker 3: I mean kind of the same thing back in the day. But he posed for Playgirl like that was my dream. Like there was always Playboy, and I actually never knew play Playgirl. Did you say your dream was deposed? It was okay, Jules, because here's a fun fact. I didn't know Playgirl existed until I was just looking up some notes on Jim Brown, and I was like, he he posed for Playgirl, like I always said it growing up. You got to call my mom and ask her like, what are you gonna do? I'm like, I'm gonna pose for Playgirl. I never knew Playgirl actually existed. I always just like I want to start Playgirl, But it existed, And I didn't know that until I just read these facts about Jim Brown a couple of days ago, when I just looked him up and he literally posed, and he posed what his piece hanging out is bare knuckle berry? Like, imagine imagine doing that all right, having a well grown on bush too while posing.
Speaker 1: I back in that a seventies, Oh my gosh, you know, Eric, would you post?
Speaker 2: Would you post for?
Speaker 1: Because Slate used to talk about Eric Dickerson. He's like Eric Digerson was on Playgirl. Jokerl so bad?
Speaker 3: What'd you have pose for Playgirl? Like, say, ten years ago, your young twenties. I don't even think play Girls round. I don't even know it was a round I did. We did body issues. It's kind of the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, different though, because this wasn't like we're just sitting at the pool table with our dings egg. You know, we were doing like jokingly stuff.
Speaker 3: Play Boy and play Girl were notoriously known more of like I actually knew about it. My suck symbol if you're in it.
Speaker 1: I remember being at one of my friend's house when we were like thirteen. He's like, look at this. Look at I found in my mom's room. I was like, oh my god, what is that? It was a playground? Wait the mom?
Speaker 2: You just told that story. Oh it wasn't your mom. It was your friend.
Speaker 3: That wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my friends.
Speaker 2: And when I heard, I.
Speaker 3: Like, jewels, you're saying that about your mom? All right, who's your friend? Though you could definitely say it right now, you definitely say your friend's name.
Speaker 1: Dude, is there any movie roles that you'd quit football for?
Speaker 3: Well, why why did did he quit football for?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: For Dirty Dozen? Yeah, they thre they threatened the final, and that's why you were in the training camp.
Speaker 2: And instead of he's like, I'm gonna retire. Then that's a dog. I mean he was.
Speaker 3: It is a dog, but he was probably making more doing movies and playing football ata and he didn't.
Speaker 1: It didn't hurt. His kindname is a play so you know he was hurting.
Speaker 3: And he had the dog for movies too. That's why he was showing it off. He was just setting up his career for After Football too.
Speaker 1: Hey, you remember, speaking of movies, remember when we did the movie we did Urge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was so fun.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I was a method actor for that movie. Like the role I was supposed to play is, you know, be beat up, beat up ground and I actually just had my knee surgery, so I was already beat up.
Speaker 2: But we put a cast on me too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I remember, like my arm was broken. And also we were at a party, so it was like me being hammered. And I was actually hammered for the role. So we weren't hammered, but I was.
Speaker 2: I was feeling good, Jules.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like to say that we were able to do that on set, but now.
Speaker 2: You can't because it was ten years ago.
Speaker 3: Was it ten years ago? Remember I gave you a beer bong you did?
Speaker 2: That was a real beer bong.
Speaker 3: That was real. It was it was method acting. Love that show. It's kind of like Hard Knocks. We were talking about Entourage and Hard Knocks. In high school was my glory days of watching television shows. It was those two and those two only, and I just lived up to want to be like that. I wanted to be like that. Football player and Hard Knocks. I wanted to be like the guys in Entourage. So thank you for those two shows for giving me that motivation to be that guy. There we are, Jewels, you're giving me the beer bomb. It was a real beer bong as well. That was so we should we should have quit football like Jim Brown. I know we actually no.
Speaker 1: We didn't want to know. We didn't win a super Bowl chance. Remember we weren't super Bowl then.
Speaker 3: Now, we weren't super Bowl championship, but we were awesome. Man, we were freaking awesome. Jewels time.
Speaker 1: What kind of dude is Jim Brown? They say, I'm not joking when you look him up in the lacrosse community. They don't look at him as a football player that played lacrosse. He's like a lacrosse guy. He's in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame, on Everyone's top five list of all time football player. This guy is just he's got the pedigree of everything. What's that make him actor pivotal person in his community, not just his community, but in all communities, Like he transcends community. That's how That's how big of a person and a guy he was. And he's just I think he's just flat out stud.
Speaker 3: What do you think, I wouldn't say freak besides that, you know that pose and the playgirl. That's where he was a freak. But we're talking about his athletic ability. He was definitely a freak. He was the fastest, biggest guy in the field. No, yeah, but but he wasn't intriguing to be like a true freak, like looking like a true freak. He was. He was freaky, But I bet you not like not like that.
Speaker 2: He's definitely more of a stud.
Speaker 3: Well he's as a football player and as a you know, athletic type of guy. But he had some dog in him. I mean, whiz. I mean, you gotta be you gotta be smartest hacking order to play all those sports.
Speaker 1: And didn't miss it. He's probably a huge dude. He probably kept everyone in check in a just a different Jim Brown kind of way.
Speaker 3: But I feel like all those characteristics d lead to being a stud. You got to be a stud all over the place. He gotta be and to be the best at it all. And whatever he did off the field or on the field, he is stud. He's just stud.
Speaker 1: Well that's been another episode of dudes on, dudes, what can we do better?
Speaker 3: Next episode? Rob, so scout it.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think we're getting better.
Speaker 2: We are getting better.
Speaker 3: We're bouncing off each other very well, which I still we are were still young. It's like me, I was playing poker the other day and I started off slow, and I was figuring out the game more and more as the time was going on. I played ten hours, and I feel like I was a better player at like the seventh hour of playing than the first six hours I was playing, because you start picking it up. But we're still new to podcasting. Game played against Phil Hellmuth? Did you take Antonio another pro? I took down Phil. He took me down a couple of times. But I played. You know, I was in there, man. It wasn't like they were.
Speaker 2: I held my own. It was a good time.
Speaker 3: But we could definitely get better, man, I would say so without a doubt.
Speaker 1: That's what we're always That's what this podcast, and that's what we're always on the mission to do to improve. We're trying to improve.
Speaker 3: We'll rate us and review us so we can, you know, read the comments and we can understand what we got to improve on it.
Speaker 2: And we are where we can get better.
Speaker 1: And remember to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, wherever you listen to your podcast.
Speaker 3: And comment on a dude you want us to do, rate review, do it all, and remember to follow Dudes on Dudes on YouTube, Instagram, acs, TikTok, and snapchat. Dudes on Dudes is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. We'll see you guys next week. To aid us