Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, who Welcome home to the Native Landing on the podcast based that's it for greatness sixteen minutes. It's so hit, not too long for the grape shit, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it.
Speaker 3: So get invested.
Speaker 2: Across the t's and dop the i's, get them back to get them staying on business with ride. You could have been anywhere, but you chose us Native Land Podcast the brand that you can trust us.
Speaker 4: Do we want to live in a country of freedom, compassion and rule of law or a country of chaos, fear and hate. And here's the beauty of this moment. We each have the power to answer that question.
Speaker 3: The power is with the people.
Speaker 5: We age have the.
Speaker 4: Power to answer that question. And in the next one hundred and five days, then we have work to do. We have doors to knock on, we have phone calls to make, we have voters to register, and.
Speaker 5: We have an election to win.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, y'all, this is Native lampod It is episode twenty nine. It's flying by, just like these days as we get closer and closer to the election. Frankly, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, and it is, of course the story of our lives. Among us, there is equal parts celebration and grief. There are many who are so excited about Pamala Harris's ascension to the top of the ticket, and there are still so many among us who are grieving the loss and the tragic murder of Sonya Massey. And so today we'll talk about both of those things and everything in between. We welcome you home. We asked for just a brief moment of silence to honor Sonya Massey. So here we are. We are on the other side of Joe Biden stepping down from running for president. He decided that he would not be running this amiss, having COVID being quarantined in Delaware and passing the torch to Kamala Harris as he promised to do four years ago. To be clear, So I want to hear y'all way in on all the things. A lot can change in a week.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: We were just here talking about what we really felt about folks pushing Joe Biden telling him that it was time to go. Andrew, you had some strong thoughts. I had some strong thoughts. Tiff was feeling torn both ways. Where do y'all stand now?
Speaker 3: Well, what's up?
Speaker 6: Said?
Speaker 3: Yes, because the ground, the ground has shifted and Tiffany, you're looking great over there, Angela looking great. Is good to be back with y'all, especially after last week where we let all of our thoughts come unfettered, unchecked. It was the real and honestly, I know that we all work every week to try to make sure that we're bringing our full selves. But Angela, the conversation that Tiff helped facilitate for us really put us in everybody's living room, because it's the fight that everybody seems to be having with a close relative, a husband or a spouse, child, a relative of any sort. And I will tell you this much have my family with you and half of them with me, but at this point, every one of them is thrilled, excited that Kamala Harris is the VP choice. And I'm talking about people who used to be critics the day before turned completely solidly behind her. It's been pretty pretty crazy to watch.
Speaker 7: I think it's crazy that, you know, we recorded this podcast and then an assassination attempt on the former president of the United States was such a huge story and by the weekend, by Sunday, that was now old news. Then you know, you had this crazy shift in politics which happens, as we all know, when Vice President Harris became the front runner and at the top of the ticket. And I have to say, I think, you know, prior to that, I felt rather apathetic. We talked about that on the last episode and something about seeing her take the helm. I've shared a stage with her before. Angela. I'm pretty sure you shared a stage with her before. Andrew, you have a relationship with her. It's interesting how this happened. And I wonder was there any other way a black woman was going to be on the top of the ticket were it not for this confluence of tragedy and absolute desperation. And I'll take us back to two thousand and eight when Obama became the nominee. Then it was also ann obscene level of angst and circumstance happening. Coming off the George W. Bush presidency. The country was in a rapid decline, financially and people were desperate, and it's like, well, let's just had a black guy try it. This time, we're in the same position. So, you know, a lot of people have been talking about well, you know, I wonder if she can win and if I see one more pull and pull my hair out and scream. I think we have to prepare for the shifting demographics in this country and start voting with our conviction and not looking to see who might white folks support. Vote with your conviction. When we were in a group chat and then somebody kept saying, oh, but will the public feel this? Will the public feel this way? And one of our good friends, Aaron Haynes with the Nineteenth who does great work, she said, you you are the public. And I think that's such an important reminder for the folks tuning in today. You are the public. And she will define herself in her own way. Having been the Vice pre is it in this administration. This will be a time for her distinct to distinguish herself and the differences between she and President Biden. So I you know, I do not feel as apathetic. I feel encouraged, I feel hopeful. I also feel nervous because as we you know, applow forward to November. I am reminded that a significant amount of these people have already decided that election results don't matter, that they just simply will not accept a result that they don't like. So I think this wind has to be a decisive win for her. I want to know from you guys. I know we're all excited and hopeful, but what is the thing keeping you up at night as we barrow forward?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 7: What are the things we were thinking about, whether they're rational or irrational? And you know what are y'all al most concerned about?
Speaker 3: Answer?
Speaker 1: Oh, I was different to you. Well, I want to stay on the hope for a minute, because we got a whole episode to talk through all the angst and the worry and the stress and all of that, and.
Speaker 3: An Angela before where you go there? Tiff asked the question in her comments, No, no, no, She asked the question and said, would we have imagined that the only way that a black woman would be set up to ascend into, you know, the presidency is the way that it occurred? And Tiff Gerald Ford anticipated that question for you and he wanted you to hear this response.
Speaker 7: Mister Ford, what advice would you give a young lady wanting to become president of the United States.
Speaker 8: Well, I hope we do have a young lady at some point become president of the United States. I can tell you how I think it will happen. That's you, Tiff, because it won't happen. In the normal course of events, either the Republican or Democrat political party will nominate a man for president and a woman for vice president, and the woman and man will win. So you'll end up with a president a male, and a vice president a female, and in that term of office of the president, the president will die.
Speaker 3: That didn't happen, and the woman.
Speaker 8: Will become president under the law. And once that barrier is broken, from then on, men better be careful because they'll have a hard hard time ever even getting a nomination in the future. But that's the way it's going to happen.
Speaker 5: I just thought it was so he killed a man in the clip.
Speaker 1: That's why it wasn't going to this maculating all online everywhere, and I was like, now, why are we playing this where he did off this man?
Speaker 7: Anyway, I hadn't seen it. That was my first time. I think that was a great tea up. He was forecasting what would happen absolutely decades later, Sands the killing of President significance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but it's so crazy that at that time he could not conceive of a woman on her own outright running and receiving the nomination. That the way it would happen in America one day is a man or a woman would get together. The man will be president, the woman vice president, and she'll ascend through some crisis in the office.
Speaker 7: Well, when a black woman, that's a whole other situation too.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of black women in my excitement, you guys know, I have a uniform that I like to wear every week, and this week I'm slightly at a dress codes. Soho I could just wear this, Oh.
Speaker 7: I got my sweatd wait, take your Can you take your jacket off? Because I didn't see the back the photos. I love it. You know, everybody's going to I know how they can get that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. You got to ask Jerry if he'll run that thing back from twenty twenty. But in the meantime, this is fear of God. I'm fear of God all day to day. But yes, I just got to tell you I have delighted in the brief reprieve that we've had from some of the griefs that we've experienced as a people, as a culture in this country right now, just to celebrate this moment. I was delighted that Joe Biden kept his commitment to Kamala Harris. I am delighted at like watching her shine. Like one of the things I think we've said a lot on this podcast, and it pissed a lot of folks off initially, is that Kamala when you're just one on one with her, is this incredible?
Speaker 7: Harris? Say again, Oh, I'm just calling her vice president Harris because people, you know, people always get very familiar. But I know you know her personally. I'm literally about to tell a personal story. So if you just roll with me for a minute. Even her campaign signs right now say Kamala.
Speaker 1: So I think I'm safe and they know I deeply respect this woman and her role in her office and who she is as a person. But I was getting ready to say, was when you're in those one on one moments with Kamala the individual, She's very warm, she's very cool, she's very down to earth, and I'm so excited that people are going to get to see that side of her as well as the prosecutor side. So on that point, I really wanted to ask y'all on the other side of her raising more than one hundred million dollars so far for everybody was like, who said she couldn't do it? Small dollar donors stepped up and said, yes she can, right, Folks came out and they said they're going phone bank. My dad volunteered my mom to be a Kamala Harris volunteer, and Mama Rah was smiling instead of being like you know that apathy turned to astonishing excitement just overnight, and so I join you in that tiff. The question I have is one that TIF and I were about to debate on a side chat a few days ago, and that is this, should Kamala Harris debate Donald Trump? And if she should, should it be on Fox? Where are we not?
Speaker 3: So? Yes?
Speaker 7: First, yeah, I well, one, I think absolutely she's ready and willing, but I can almost guarantee another debate will not happen. Donald Trump does not want to square up with Vice President Harris on a stage we all saw, you know, Joe Biden was president. Biden was not ready for the moment, and so I think even in her speech the first time we heard from her after she ascended to the potential nominee because the convention is not for a few weeks, but the potential Democratic nominee, she said, I am a prosecutor. I've prosecuted all types of people, and she went on to, you know, describe these criminals that all are. You know, the would be appeasable Trump to write to former President Trump. So I think he would be incredibly intimidated by her. I think he lacks the maturity to stand across from her and wait his turn to speak. I think he lacks the intellectual engagement to be able to articulate any clear point. I think the conversation would shift from Joe Biden being older to Donald Trump being older, which it should have already been there because he routinely made these incoherent statements even on that debate. But the media loves to, you know, chase one headline over the other. I do not think it should be on Fox News. And this is why Angela, I don't know what that would get her. You're not gaining any more voters. That is not a legitimate news organization. It is a propaganda network. They do not adhere to the rules. As you all know. I've appeared on Fox News when I very first started doing television, and they would do things like, Hey, you're coming on to talk about this topic, and then they would switch it at the last minute, and somehow all the other guests knew that they were going to switch topics, and it, you know, spring it on me. We're going to talk about North Korea. It was fine. I'd stay ready, so it was I was able to flow. But they do that kind of trickery. I just don't know what it gets her. I don't know why she would lend her face, her platform, her viewers to this network that traffics in misinformation, disinformation, racism, misogyny, xenophobia, et cetera. So I'm a strong no on appearing on Fox News and having anything to do with them that influences their bottom line.
Speaker 3: You know, Tiff, I would I would agree with you all the way, probably up to that point, except for the fact I don't want to get no pro season profits by any of us putting our eyes on the station to watch the debate, So that would be an objection. But if you're Kamala Harris, Vice President Harris, I'm guessing the reason you would do it is because you are putting yourself in position to tear away voters who would otherwise never consider you. And now that they've been able to put you side by side with the guy they thought was, you know, next to christ he's looking kind of whack. And I'm telling you, I just think I think she doesn't risk her base, and she potentially gains new ground, but.
Speaker 7: That legitimizes and normalizes a terrible problematic platform that's literally think ahoots with foreign agents, foreign governments. Like at some point, like you have to draw the line, like stop chasing creable what the gain would not be worth the risk?
Speaker 3: What is the Washington Correspondence don't they don't they get credentialed by others quote unquote they do?
Speaker 7: I think the Washington Correspondents Association, yes, or the White I'm sorry, the White House Correspondents Association. They credential Fox News that right, but that is also something that's been up for debate, and you know.
Speaker 3: Subject credential. I only ask because they get those credentials, which means they are by and large looked at as a fair balanced you know, legitimate news source, and so so long as that's going to be the case, I think we're just sort of really arguing amongst ourselves, and we're not the ones who need convincing. It's those listeners over there who already have a bar so low set for her. They don't have any expectation for this quote DEI, vice president nominee for Democratic Party for president. They literally disregard her resume. This one's got more experience than JJD events has been in the Senate less than two years. This woman has. Anyway, my point is is they got no expectation for her performing at a functional level.
Speaker 7: I think if you look at the demographics of the Fox News viewer, which I have for the first book I wrote, they are I want to say, maybe ninety four percent white. Incredibly, and don't quote me on that. The the numbers could have changed, so forgive me because I can't cite my source in this moment. Probably numbers could have changed, but they have since because the conservative media is now so decentralized with other platforms like OAM and Newsmax and you know, other outlets, they still continue to be the jaggernaut. They still dominate the ratings, they still lap MSNBC and everybody's lapping CNN, including US, so they do have a significant amount of viewership. My argument, though, Andrew, is I do not believe those people are convincible and like they can watch her on other platforms. I think there is a significant amount of danger in legitimizing that type of platform. And I don't believe that the viewers who overwhelmingly watch Fox are even receptive. I think they are willfully ignorant to policies and the things that are promoted on that network. I think that network allows them to traffic in racism. I think it allows them it validates the feelings that they have about migrants, even if it's a completely scripted narrative from Fox News. So I just I would strongly discourage her. But Angela, you asked the question and you haven't answered, so I want to hear what you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, tif you know, this is where I disagree. I feel like she needs to go, like the evangelists, to the four corners of the Earth to go find these votes. I am not saying, however, that she should have one hundreds of million dollars spin to go find nikkiy Haley voters. But in the event that she could cop some of them, why not go on Fox. I think there are a lot of platforms she should go on, including Joe Rogan's and a bunch of other folks who maybe we don't listen to, but some folks who do and are persuadable can hear her there because they're not tuning into MS, they're not tuning into seeing in, they're not watching some of the pods and listening to some of our friends who we know are brilliant and dope and write and great thing pieces on Kamala. So I think, if she don't have anything to lose, what in the hell does she have to lose? Nothing, go get the votes.
Speaker 3: Man, Well, the next debate will put more eyes on her, then will be on her prior to election day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it will be the.
Speaker 3: Largest concentrated audience in the country between now and election day. And second, you know, the second point is is I would disagree with you slightly, Angela with regard to sort of saturate the conservative talking heads and whatever platform media platforms if you're Tamala Harris, and I think having attempted something similar in campaigning in all sixty seven counties of Florida and camping out in some of these really red areas. Is that we also serve as a bit of a reminder and organizer for the kind of vitriolic pushback that they would normally heap on us, you know, on a regular day. But if they were thinking about not voting, my very presence and their space and their local television, you know market was enough to agitate them to show up on election day and make sure I would not become governor of Florida. And so I do think that there are some platforms that make some sense a network hosting a debate that will get more global, global audience, larger than any other between non election day.
Speaker 7: Yes, I had something to say about that on the other side of the break, because I know we'd the break, but I got a response right after this break, so stay tuned. On the other side, I got something to say, say it.
Speaker 3: Say it man.
Speaker 4: Before I was elected Vice president, before I was elected the United States Senator, I was elected attorney general of the state of California, and I was a courtroom prosecutor before them, and in those rules I took on perpetrators of all kinds, predators who abused women, fraudsters who ripped off consumers, cheaters who broke the rules.
Speaker 1: For their own gain.
Speaker 4: So hear me when I say I know Donald Trump's type.
Speaker 1: If I want to hear what you got to say. But I also want to get into whether or not we think that's an effective line to go ahead. But I'm going to answer you a question because I think that's right along the lines of what I have to say. Yes, I think that is an effective line to receptive people. I do not believe Fox News viewers would ever be persuaded by that. I think they would look at who is this upity, you know what, telling this white man that he's a criminal. And she ought to be happy to be in this position, she ought to be grateful to be in this country.
Speaker 7: We've already heard the Senator J. D Vance, the vice presidential nominee on the Republican side, say that he never hears her express gratitude for being in this country. I think we're expecting intellect from people who have none. They have no curiosity even about it. So I love that line. I do think, and we've talked about this a little bit in our group chat. I do think there are some people who you know it will become a trope. You know that she was a prosecutor because there are a significant amount of people in this country who don't necessarily understand the roles prosecutors play, and previously they've only been painted as playing a horrible role and lacking up black men. Statistically, that's not true about Vice President Harris when she was in San Francisco. San Francisco doesn't even have a significant number of black men who lived there for her to be laser focused on black men. But you can look at the numbers and it's just not true. And also, as we've said on this show many times before Marilyn Moseby, Kim Fox, prosecutors play it in a hugely important role in that they decide what charges to bring and what charges not to So sometimes prosecutors are keeping black men out of jail. They decide when speaking of Sonia Massey, they decide when a law enforcement officer shoots an unarmed black person. They're the ones persuading those charges. So I think we have to inform and educate a receptive base. I do not think that's even possible on the Republican base. And if I can kick this question back to you, Angela. We talked about this. We were both disgusted at the Democratic Party going after these Nicki Hayley voters. So I hear you saying like, no, I don't think they should send hundreds of millions of dollars, should do it. But I just wonder like why, Like why do you think Fox News might be a good platform versus I like your idea about like Joe Rogan and other platforms, but why Fox News versus like any other network? Like what is it about these folks that you have faith that maybe even five of them might be able to come over to her side? Because I have none ratings? What do you mean rating?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: Oh, so you're saying because more people would tune in, and so they would then say, oh, I like her, Like what about that those viewers that you think they would say no, I have faith in the viewers that they would hear from her and be open to her and say yes, I will vote for her.
Speaker 1: Well, I think with any election you have to count on masks, Like she can't win just with her base and there aren't enough people. She has to build a different coalition. I don't think it's the Obama coalition, and even Barack Obama went on Fox News. He went on Fox News, he was interviewed on Fox News. Like, I don't just think she should do a debate on Fox News. I think she should be interviewed there. She could pick her interviewer, but like, yeah, she she absolutely needs to talk to people who are uncomfortable with her, who say Kamala instead of Kamala. People who you know, will want to demonize her, and just like Donald Trump was birtha in chief, under Barack Obama will try to say that she's not a citizen, like all of the things that they'll do to try to engage in xenophobic scare tactics to keep people from even being curious about her. So for that viewer, that person who could be persuaded, but they're not curious, as you said, maybe you have to bring the curiosity to their to their living room. So I don't have the answers. What I can say is the math we have ain't going to take her across the finish line. And so where are you Fox?
Speaker 7: As a as a like a community validator, would would you would you go?
Speaker 1: I would struggle with that. I think we've to all talked about it, right, Like I think for me, I think Kamala is more mature than me. I think you more mature than me. Like I'm looking to call somebody a bit on Fox right, Like it's like it's gonna it's gonna go down, right, It's just like take my ears off, ready to swing, throw a shoot. Can't fight, you know, But maybe I would do that. I'm not sure. I don't trust my my inner salvation enough to go on Fox. But I think that if there were some parameters, and I were people on a part of her strategic advisors, I would set up some parameters and have her go on. If they violate those things, don't do it again. But I cannot see a downside, like I remember just as an example, and it's a little different. But ESPN's viewing audience isn't that different from Fox. I don't think people really I don't think people really understand that, especially when you get to like the Sports Center hour earlier in the day, it's more diverse. They brought on some programming recently that's trended more conservative, more flyover country and you know, middle aged white men. Sports Center was that time I was pitching Kamala for Vice President Harris for a a segment about Britney Griner when we were still trying to get her back, and I thought it was perfect for her because so many people who are not us don't hear from her, don't know her, don't know what she's been doing. And even though Britney Grinder wasn't yet a success story, I knew that we were teeing it up for when it became a success story and they couldn't see it. So her team asked if she could instead talk about Row. Can't talk about Row on ESPN? Yeah, you know, like that doesn't work.
Speaker 7: We can what's wrong with her? So why would they suggest that? You said it wouldn't never make any It doesn't make going on ESPN to talk about Row. That doesn't make any sense. I tried to s makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tried to make that point. I was like, hey, it's a sports network, it's probably got to be sports adjacent. But I thought it was a win FORER and they declined they were too worried about her, but she's gonna My point is the Kamala Harris that is going too secure. The not just this nomination, but the presidency is a risk taking Kamala Harris, and that means she he's gonna have to do some things that make all of us in come were like, why you do that? I'm not sure about that. I think that's really important and one of those places y'all might have to be in this VP pick. So if y'all don't mind, I love to get our polling firm in session and see every think we are on a VP pick. What do y'all think about that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I want to talk about that because what you just said about her being a risk taker one, I just want to quickly say, when you said that about ESPN, I didn't know that, but it makes all the sense because you think about who watches sports. You think about NFL like America Sports, of course they would have a significant conservative viewing audience. So that makes sense and it will make sense for her to appear on there even now. But for in terms of VP, if she is to be a risk taker, we're having the same conversations we did with then candidate Obama then Senator Obama and why he chose President Joe Biden. Joe Biden was very strong on foreign policy. He had been in the Senate long time, he was a safe Pennsylvania white man. We're doing it again this time. I we know the VP position is a pretty much superfluous position. It has gotten a lot more attention. I think when Sarah Palin was tapped because she was a historic candidate, and now with Vice President Harris making history as well. I if she goes with like plain vanilla like cause, let's say she goes with Senator Mark Kelly that Arizona's a swing state that you know, would garner her a significant amount of viewers. I think somebody like Basher, the governor of Kentucky. Yes, Kentucky, yep, yes, I you know, ANGELIAU you alluded to this as well. I don't know if that gets her a lot. Kentucky's a solid red state. Now the question is, and I don't. I don't have an opinion on here. I'll be honest. If she were to go bold, we know Gretchen Whitmer has already said. Governor Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan has already said that she does not wish to be her running mate. But is this the time to make a bold step like that? And a bold choice might be Governor Gretchen Whitmer, and I want y'all to know the Secretary Pete Buddhajedge has a number one fan on this podcast, and it's not me and Andrew Angela loves Pete. Those no, you don't like him for VP. Really, those would be two bold choices. If she's going to be a risk taker. You don't like.
Speaker 1: When you messed up my poll, but I'm gonna let you have it. You're okay, okay, okay, weplo Andrew, do you have a bold pick or do you have somebody who you think, like if.
Speaker 5: You were betting man Governor Shapiro, that's.
Speaker 7: What you think she's gonna pick Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: I think that's who she should pick. I think he you know, I said this when we were in New York. I think you had interviewed him, you know, a couple of hours earlier, uh at breakfast club, and I think you were impressed. And when you came back, I said, I think that this guy has national, you know, White House presidential sort of trajectory. And I felt that way because the night of his acceptance speech, when he was you know, beautifully elected in the state of Pennsylvania, UH to its governorship, he was so real. So I mean, I felt like if through the screen I could touch him and immediately feel relatable to this guy. Kamala Harris, the Vice President, knows him. They you know her her stint as an attorney's general in the Democratic Attorney's General Association. She formed these bonds with not just him, but Basher's Roy Cooper. Uh, you know, all these guys who were ages before they were governors of their states, respectively. I think he would be an inspirational choice. He's young, he's scrappy, It's sort of you know, you sort of get that Scranton Joe, except in a different form, but with the same kind of pedigree, you know, you know, with with a probably big exception for some people, and that is he is Jewish American. And I do wonder whether or not you know, we've we've we've seen how bad it can get. When when when when white super missus turned anti Semitics out loud, louder than they are anti black, and we see what happens. So I don't, I don't, I don't know what that would feel like, but I kind of feel like there would be enough momentum, new energy attraction of a expanded demographic of Democrats and indefendents voting, and they could pull that thing.
Speaker 1: You know. I I appreciate that I have been thinking about some other folks. I will tell you that my gut says I agree with you on Shapiro Tiff asked us about a bold A bold ticket, and I actually I don't know why. I just don't think Gretchen Whitmer and Kamala Harris are a good pair. I'm not opposed to an all women ticket, but that one that doesn't feel like it. I also don't I'm not feeling Mark Kelly. I think that he's kind of like watching paint dry and for I'm honest, that's what I feel like. That's where I feel Hillary Clinton messed up in her race picking Tim Kaine. They were so worried about not having someone on the ticket with her that would overshadow her, that was more passionate and you know, kind of more exciting, and I think that's where they really messed up. So I want her to have someone that can go toe to toe with her, and so y'all, I have one that's really unconventional my idea. I don't know if this is going to pass that in thirty six hours. But my idea is for her to ask John Stewart, oh.
Speaker 7: My lord, let's go to a commercial.
Speaker 1: Brank. I love John Stewart. Through picking a comedian, argue my case after the break.
Speaker 2: Well, come welcome, well, come welcome, well, come welcome.
Speaker 7: Okay, Angela talkas through picking a comedian. Okay, it's not that deep. It's not that deep, but I think I know, Like, let me say this first.
Speaker 1: I'm very frustrated about the fact that we regularly have to center what makes white men comfortable when we select tickets. I think that's I can't wait till, like to the point of your book that you regularly reference as you should. I can't wait till we understand and we see the browning of American appreciate how much investment it is going to take to really secure the rising majority in their votes.
Speaker 5: Our votes, however, were.
Speaker 1: Not quite there yet, and so my thought was, I will be but yeah, oh, Andrew, come on, there's demographics are shifting, whether demographics, whether whether they want to force everybody to have babies or not, demographics are shifting, and so my think my thinking is this, I think that the idea of the prosecutor versus versus the the criminal. I don't even wanna call me convicted felling, because sometimes people are wrongfully convicted, but versus the criminal is a very strong ticket. I also think there are some things that this country is not ready to hear out of Kamala Harris's mouth. I think she needs a number two who can just say whatever they want to say without penalty, without penalty. That can't be Josh Shapiro. That can't be Mark Kelly, that can't be Roy Cooper, right, that can't be any of these people. That can't be It definitely can't be grit to women because now you got two women, so there's somebody who's behind her throwing blows. And I think that because we are in this reality show that we can't seem to escape the credits just won't namrel, that we might as well meet these folks where they are. And John Stewart has been a regular staple, a true tailer for many He's been on the hill lobbying for efforts that I think many of American support. Even when they don't agree a ligne on both sides of the aisle, they found ways to agree with him on some critical policy issues, especially around veterans. I think that might be a good guy. And listen, if he can't be on the ticket, they at least need to sit his ass out here, right, you can't. It's not just sarrogate. It's somebody who can go toe to toe in debate with JD. Vance and call him on his stuff.
Speaker 3: That that that would be a that would be a what's the woman from Alaska? Sarah Palin? Uh? Yeah, I don't not to equate their intelligence because he's a brilliant man, but can he be president of the United States? Exactly immediately?
Speaker 1: He also could win and then step down and give it to Josh Shapiro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I think he would disqualify him by a lot of people, the ticket would be disqualified.
Speaker 7: And I think trafficking and what they do is always a fail to be honest. You know, like we hear people sometimes in all kinds of dynamics, we do this, right. It's like almost Stockholm syndrome where it's like, oh, well, men act like this, and so women think the pathway to success is acting like men, or white folks do it like this, so black folks think, you know, white folks water cooler, So let's act like that. I think we have to stay true to our own principles. And trafficking and putting like this TV star and making him into a politician I think is dangerous. To Andrew's point, he is not that is not necessarily somebody I want engaging with foreign powers on a global stage. I don't know what his understanding of foreign policy is. I don't know if he's ready to navigate budgets and you know how we allocate federal funding for what's happening in the rise of the Global South and you know, NATO and all the various things. So I would not choose John Stewart. I think he would make an amazing surrogate. And I think, you know, we have to remember she would be commander in chief. The person who who she picks is VP to me, is not as important. I think it's you know, comes down to what people consider. It's who is gonna be the best person to help get out votes and help her win. And I don't know that that matters as much in this particular election. I could be wrong, and I'm opening y'all disagreeing with me. I don't know if we have any viewer questions to speak to that. But I'd be up for disagreement here if I'm sometimes. You know, I was telling Angela as we were. I don't evenmember what we were disagreeing about, Angela, but I was telling Angela I disagree with her on something, and I was like, but look it had somebody come to me twenty years ago and say, oh, I had this idea where it's gonna be an app, right, and you can just ask people for rides, you know, like you just click a button. And I'm like, you're gonna give strangers your address and get in a car with a stranger that I don't make no sense to them. Or I have an idea where it's gonna be a platform and you can like share your thoughts like one hundred twenty one hundred and forty characters at a time. It's like, well, that's dumb, Like why can't I just email you or text you? So I may not always be the visionary here, but I don't think John Stewart is it for me?
Speaker 1: Well, I want to know who gives y'all that kind of excitement I got excited about nobody.
Speaker 7: Nobody gives she gives Mebeth Lawn.
Speaker 3: I really like Elizabeth, But I think with VP choices, what people are really measuring is do they meet the fitness tests? Like what you the reason why they went with a Cane if you were a Hillary, is she needed this safe, warm blanket of a white man and all he needed to be was taller. But he was from Virginia, so it worked.
Speaker 1: But but, but, and.
Speaker 3: People don't come up with these visions of I've got to capitulate to be like what folks would consider acceptable. They get there because we know what the winning and the lost history is. If every time you see example before you the you want to be the mayor, but every mayor you've seen is white and a lawyer, and dress as well, and da da d da da. You're going to comport yourself in that way? You don't, You can't you the white man thing, but you can dress yourself up because it looks like it looks like the recipe for what's required to get where you're trying to go. So I don't think it is a overwhelming sort of let me bow down to you know, white folks and white men in order to achieve my future. I think it is what has won who's been winning? And how do I win? And you pull pages from the folks who have been been at the helm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's changing quick. And here's the other thing that's changing quick. Now. She's got to have a new campaign slogan, Nick, do we have any video of her saying We're not going back.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump intends to cut Social Security and Medicare. He intends to give tax breaks to billionaires and big corporations and make working families foot the bill. They intend to end the Affordable Care Act. Take us back then to a time when insurance companies have the power to deny people with.
Speaker 1: Pre existing conditions.
Speaker 4: America has tried these failed economic policies before.
Speaker 5: But we are not going back.
Speaker 3: They're not going back. I think is going to stir visions of race and the sort of how do you say the historic nature of the race a black woman and a woman period. And I think we have to be we have to be acutely aware of how people, a lot of people within our own party, mostly white, in the white liberal group is how I would describe them, are all very touchy feely about race and things that caused them to feel like the outside and the other. And I know that we're not trying to reduce ourselves and lure ourselves to fit where people are, But I just want us to be aware of those those biases that sit in the back of our head that we're not gonna give voice to because we know what that means, Hello, canceled. But those voices are driving our decision making. You go into booth and you're making a decision that hasn't even hasn't even pricked your fue brain. Your your biases are deciding for you. And I just think we want her to be evaluated on the quality, uh in the strength of the job she's done, when she's exhibited what she will do her vision, and I think for a whole lot of us, we're gonna be there for a lot of other reasons to add to it, But that ain't gonna be what gets everybody in the yes column. In fact, it could drive a lot of people to the.
Speaker 1: No, we're not going back. That you think is that negative?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's negative. I think it it elicits imagery of not not what I think we want people thinking about. Necessarily it, she will lose the value of it. I would much prefer her go with a forward thinking objective that isn't set next to the negative, which is make America great again. Well, okay, I mean that's what I thought about when I say we're not going to.
Speaker 1: Go back exactly.
Speaker 3: I want you to tell me. I want you to lay something out for me that casts me forward.
Speaker 7: Because now that you say that, I do I think being forward thinking and a slogan that is forward moving, I do. I get your point.
Speaker 1: I think that it can. I just tell y'all. The one thing that I like about it a lot is it feels like it's an answer to make America great again. We're not going back, like, well, where we're going, but yes, and that could be that, but we're not going back is a response to make America great again. Then she can step into.
Speaker 3: But she won't get that chance because what people have evaluated is her whole storyline, her her slogan is in contrast to what their guy has.
Speaker 1: And that is what the role of a prosecutor versus the criminal in chief has to be.
Speaker 3: She has to let the judge, the jury, and the corethouses take that because I want somebody who's going to leave the country. I understand and rescue us from the damn ditch we you know we're bringing on. I'm sorry, Angela, go ahead.
Speaker 1: No, it's fine. You feel very passionate, as do I. So I would just say we're not going back as a response to make America great again, that we all had a visceral reaction to make America great again is not a forward thinking ideology either. It is aam It is actually a response and or really just a hearkening back to Ronald Reagan who also said make America great again. We're not going back is a battle cry because we keep saying at some point, we've got to acknowledge it isn't it back to political war? Why is it a political war? Because we are seeing our rights being dialed back. Kamala Harris has been on the front lines of reproductive justice for trying to protect world, trying to ensure that we actually put like, enshrine it and protect it in a very real way. That means we cannot go backwards. So in order for us to move forwards, I think that we have to acknowledge the many ways in which we already have gone backwards, the many ways in which we have slid even further from what this country was built upon. When you give a president immunity for criminal acts, so I think you do have to give some credence, some acknowledgment for what is Project twenty twenty five also is not forward looking. It is also hearkening back. So it's sad that she has to be in the position to respond to the past, but she's literally running against the ghosts.
Speaker 3: Of the past. But their voters know what it means to make America great again. They see themselves in that pick white picket fence, that house the white stays on, barefoot, bearing babies. You know, I'm just saying.
Speaker 7: They I know it's different. We have different interpretations of it. There's a set of voters who see that and they're like, yes, I remember when he's being When you ask someone how old were you when America was great, they were kids. They have no idea what was going on, but they say visions something. They say, yes, he will bring this back to me. Angela's point is Project twenty twenty five is backward looking. It is to us.
Speaker 1: To them, it's.
Speaker 7: Saying, here's a future I can promise you that looks better than the one that you're in. In your present day, so it's forward looking to them but backward looking to us. I think you both make good points. I'm only asking this because we have so many viewer questions. Do y'all mind if we just get to one of them? We got to we have so many tip you're so right, absolutely yeah, so yes, Well I'm just gonna go in order at the script so we have one. But before we run this video, I just want to remind our viewers please, please please get on camera when you submit questions. Unfortunately, we do not respond to DM questions or questions in the comments, and the reason is we want to see your pretty faces, your beautiful faces. We want to make sure you're real people. Y'all all know people get on social media and pretend they're somebody else, and so we want to make sure we're not engaging with bots or opposers or pretenders, and so that's why we ask you to appear on camera and we like to see you. So this first one looks like it is from mister Will. So, mister Will, what you got for us?
Speaker 3: Was it Will? Hey?
Speaker 9: This is mister Will represent a sameer with Missouri and my question is what is a super pac? How can a black community, get one, and if you do a search engine search for the Black Panther Party, it shows they are a political party. How can we use that to start putting our own candidates in place?
Speaker 7: I love that question. I can't do, y'all mind if I jump in.
Speaker 3: I just want to say yes.
Speaker 7: I can't answer the entire question, but I do want to at least respond to his question. Thank you for asking what is a super pac? Because there are so many people we take for granted what people know. We've all worked in politics, and some people don't know what a pack is a super pac or the difference. So why I love this question is because it is a timely one because we've talked about the role of the Supreme Court a super pack. If you guys remember the slogan or remember hearing corporations are people? That is what birth superpack. It was a Supreme Court decision, Citizens United. This Court decision came out and I want to say two thousand and ten, No, I think it was before twenty ten, but somebody checked me, fact check me on when it came out. But why this is significant is because it made corporations labor organizations. It gave them the power to contribute any amount of money they wanted to. Where previously individuals could only contribute twenty five hundred dollars to a candidate, Corporations can contribute as much as they like, which gave certain entities an unseemly amount of power over how elections are held, how campaigns are run. And so that can be good and bad, right, because you look at like the labor organizations, the labor unions, they were able to contribute to enormous amounts of money to mostly democratic candidates, and then you had the private sector who was able to just flood mostly conservative campaigns with their money. And I would argue it's had a devastating impact on our yes, unlimited funding on our politics and policies, and it has been dangerous. Why I remember this is because when Sarah Palin was tapped as vice president, which is why I think this decision may have been before twenty ten, it was okay, so I got twenty ten, right, But there were so many Supreme Court decisions that had an impact on the races. And I remember Katie Kuric asked Sarah Palin, can you name a Supreme Court case that has been significant to you, and this dizzy chick could not name one Supreme Court case, literally had no idea of any Supreme Court case that she could reference. So when we have truly dumbed down our politics, and now that the black panther part that I don't know much about how the black people can get a black a super pack. I don't know because we're not a homogenous group of people and we have so many different opinions on things.
Speaker 1: We have several super PACs. A collective pack is one of those, the Congressional Black Cocus. Essentially, a super pac is just an IE or an independent expenditure and Tiff to your point, you know you got the year right. Your memory's impeccable. It's twenty ten. It was the Citizens United case. As for a black party right now, if you can just vote black and vote for Kamala Harris, we can probably like arrange that, but also would encourage you to please listen to our podcast. We have a mini pod on third party candidates and when they should run. I think that's very appropriate here. I'd love to take the next question.
Speaker 7: Well, we're gonna go to a break real quick, and on the other side of this break, we're gonna come back with a fuer questions, so stay tuned.
Speaker 10: What is up, Native Lampod. My name is Nahim Banks and I am a graduate of the Howard University HU and my question for you all is why do you think that the Democratic Party hasn't been investing in and supporting candidates of color? In twenty eighteen, I'm a California resident and I followed Andrew Gillims campaign and Stacey Abrams campaign really, like religiously, because they were they were young, they were exciting, they were progressive, and I really thought that they were gonna they were gonna fight for communities like mine. And even my freshman year at Howard, I had the opportunity to volunteer at the CBC really become and I did that really because I wanted to take a picture where Andrew Gilli and Maal.
Speaker 3: I'm going to attach that picture here. But in the twenty twenty two midterms and even in this.
Speaker 10: Past primary season, we've constantly seen black candidates overlooked, whether that is Barbara Lee and California, which you guys talked about in the last episode. We had my Mandela Barack at the sport he needed in Wisconsin. Even though his governor ended up getting elected to a second term. We had Yury Chambers in Louisiana or Keida Bradshaw, and in Tennessee can Cherry Beasley and South Carolina, and we had the most black candidates for office these past two cycles down in the South, and I just feel like we have been completely we completely abandoned them, partly because the Democratic Party and these consultants think that candidates of color are in a siding that we can't win. So why do you all think that? And what you think can do to change that going forward?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love thee I got flowers coming to the studio today and Andrew. These are for you, brother, just the way that he like touted what you did. And I think I think Tiff, I think Tiff and I do a good job of recognizing all that you've meant to mean to us, but also to the culture. What you did to energize a group of young people who were never interested in politics before. I think it's so important. I will I hate to fact check people, but Sherry Beasley's North Carolina, not South Carolina. But everything else he said was so good, And I think that we really do need to have a conversation about what it's like to build not just a Democratic bench, but a political bench of young people of color. Again, we know that the premise of Tip's book is spot on. There's no way to energize a base where they don't see themselves, and I think that is case in point. There's no excuse for the Democratic Party not to invest in these races where people have demonstrated an ability to run and win. If they can get within a margin of EIR three thousand votes, five thousand votes held, ten thousand votes, we should be trying to figure out what went wrong in trying to shift it a little bit. One of the things that I'm so worried about with the Vice president's campaign right now is bringing in the same old, same old consultants, the same old, same old ideas, trying to make her fit a mold that she should not be trying to conform to. It doesn't work for her. That I'm trying to run Kamala Harris as a white man is not a winning strategy. It's an inauthentic approach to what we know to be the case. That is not it. And I think in two thousand and eight that worked a little bit. They could neutralize Barack Obama and kind of make him palatable for white people. I don't think that same approach can work here. And so what happens when a Gary Chambers? Will you guys? This audience knows Gary Chambers because Tim likes to represent that it's such a great ad. What happens when you step outside of that conformity? Is it still even if it's not safe for you and your cookie cutter mold, is it still safe in that it is a winning approach? And I think that's something we got to wrestle with. Long term answer.
Speaker 7: Before you answer, can I give you my flowers too?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: I don't have no actual flowers. Angela's holding the flowers for me. First of all, I love that he said how inspiring you were, But it's so true, Like there are some candidates who are politically ambitious and it comes across They can give you know, they can give pretend authenticity if you pardon the paradox, but when you meet them, it's like, oh, like you, it's not so much that you want to lead versus you want to rule or want to build a platform, or you want to be famous or whatever those things are. But Andrew, your campaign was different. You as an individual are different, gifted, A light shines upon you, and I think on this podcast people get to see that. But also just individually, you know, when you and I are together, we typically try to go to dinner, we go for a walk or whatever, and just every I'm just saying we have a good time and you but I always like take stuff to you, a problem I'm having or issues or whatever. And I think it speaks to who you've been your entire life when people know your life story, and a lot of comments, I'm not gonna put you on the spot, but a lot of comments consistently are the same way people talk about Obama in the sense, when are you coming back? We need you? How could you leave us here in Florida? Like it is like like abandon but they feel abandoned, like they want you to come back. When it comes to supporting black candidates and other candidates of color, I echo everything Angela said, and I would just want to inform the viewers and say it is the donor class as well. The donor class is largely white and male, and who they think can be a viable candidate, You saw this in Andrew's race. The media is also complicit. They summarily dismissed Andrew's campaign. It was like, you know, he just wasn't even on their radar. You see this in the incestuous media, the fact that they all have friends who works, you know, on different campaigns. They went to college with people. It didn't matter that I knew Andrew very well, It didn't matter all like that we'd know Wes Moore, you know, all the people who we know. It just didn't matter to them. It wasn't on their radar. In political they used to do, you know, their newsletter. Everybody who was spotted was like a white person, you know, involved. And so we have to disrupt this landscape and we have to force the party with a ground swelling and your participation. And I think that's what you did. Andrew. I want you to address what the young man said. I would love for you to talk about like what people like, how we should be thinking about these campaigns. You very much did that well.
Speaker 3: I appreciate both my sisters here and brother, so proud of you and can't wait to see your name on a ballot. It's heading there and not because you present well, but because the depth of what you had to say clearly demonstrates that you are genuinely and passionately concerned and interested and the community that grows up around you, you want to shape it. And you know what, I wish more people who say that they were interested in public service got into it stealed by the knowing that what they intend to do is to shape the future. I can't stand the folks who say the poll numbers say such and such and such and such, so I should ghost go of in the corner and die because you told me I'm fifth out of fifth the week before election day, but I came number one out of five. Come on. And so it used to be that great leaders would shape public opinion, and the polls taken after that will result and what they're resulted in because they were shaped by somebody who had the courage to stand up and say what it is that they think that they believe, and trust that on the listening end, that there might be a person who sees you and hears you clearly and can relate to what it is that you have to say. They're never going to give us equal footing. The ruler by which the rest of us are measured is the decades, years, centuries of the white men who have come before and held those positions before. So we're not going to win there. Even the way they cover us. They want to talk about my brother's criminal history, but they want to talk about the other guy's business that he started, you know, at the age of five with a million dollar loan from hers his daddy that they omitted. So to Angela's point around, when do we get measured for who we are rather than how well we can capitulate to what the majority, the ruling class has to do and say. And I think it's in this space of running for office, being of public service where you have to throw the rule book out. If you're waiting for the invitation, it'll never come if you want it. Waiting for the boardroom a meeting, whien you get called in, it's not happening. Bring your fold in chair, or sit against the wall on the floor. They're not going to invite us into those spaces. And so what do we do. Hell, we create our own. And when people get to see us, not the bourgeoisie and the ruling class, but when people get to see you, and they get to see your heart and they get to understand the relatability of it, and that you care just like daycare, and that you put one leg through the pants just like he does or she does. And people are hungry for that. That's why. And I hate to say it, but you have so many nimrods on the right who are willing to take Donald Trump as he is because he is the same low life that they are.
Speaker 1: Oh lord, that's one.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that there is a group of people who don't want a president who's better.
Speaker 1: Yes, they want is it.
Speaker 3: Who resembles their life, and he gives that to them, even if it's a made up, tunched up story. With the exception of his of his latest record.
Speaker 1: I do want to say, Andrew, I really appreciate what you're saying. I think that this is a great time to slightly pivot to something very solemn and somber. Speaking of low lifes, Donald Trump, as you all know, has said that if it's up to him, when he is president of the United States, he will grant police officers law enforcement immunity. And we just bore witness to the tragic murder of Sonya Massey in Springfield, Illinois, she was holding a pot of water. She was told to turn the stove off so that the pot didn't boil over by a sheriff's deputy, and as she put that pot down, she was shot and killed. She was shot in the face. And when you think about that story, you guys, and what is promised, there are so many others. It's so unfortunate that we can just erase Sonya's name and put in somebody else's, and erase that name and put in someone else's. Time and time. It is as old as history. It is as long a story as vigilantes chasing after enslaved people who escaped. There is a reason we know in our souls that qualified immunity does not belong in the hands of police officers. They should have to face account for what they've done wrong when they've but when they commit murder, they should have to face accountability. This story is one that's resting heavy on me, y'all. I described what happened because I can't bear. I'm just being honest with our audience. I've not watched the video. I can't. I can't. I refuse to look at it. We talked about this a little bit, but I just want to pause here and just acknowledge to my Frank Quentin Morris, who is Sonya's cousin and flagged this for me last week, and so I just want to thank him for his courage and sharing her story in the midst of their family's grief.
Speaker 7: And she called the police, ye, she called for help. I did watch the video, not intentionally. It was played on CNN one morning and I saw it, and I just you know, the only thing I can say that body cams have done is given us a better view of us being murdered. That's not the issue, you know. It really is just a workforce development issue when it comes to police officers and their training. It is a changing hearts and minds issue to be able to see us as human beings, which still unfortunately doesn't happen. And it's a funding issue, know, to have better support services for when these types of calls are made. But it is Angela. You're right not to watch it because you can't unsee it once you watch it. But what I remember most is, you know, I live in the inner city, in downtown, and what I remember thinking is I would be afraid to call the police even if there was an intruder in my house. I don't know who I would fear more, I would feel completely alone and open and violated essentially. So this is the reality that we face as black people. Black women sometimes get left out of the conversation when it comes to police brutality. But we've sadly seen from Sandra Bland to do we remember the woman's name, who the neighbor came over. This wasn't a police shooting, but her neighbor came over and shot her. This was last summer Angel.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was, oh my god, sad.
Speaker 7: But the whole point that you can't remember. The sad part is there are so many There are so many.
Speaker 6: We are.
Speaker 3: About you know, we weren't lost to the stories. It was the technology just helped put it out there for the rest of the world. But I have to tell you, and it's so sad that it has to go this way. But oftentimes the images have to be put out there so that the other community gets to get a sense of the inhumanity that's visited upon us day in and day out. Maybe Til didn't want to have to put her baby on the front page of the newspaper. She had to endure and re endure that trauma so that the silent folks could say and do something different. And that's often the story for us, that the imagery has to happen and the rewounding you know comes with it, that comes with it has to be suffered so that those the discontent, the uninterested, now they got to watch.
Speaker 6: And the.
Speaker 7: Good I'm sorry, well, I was just gonna say that Edmund Patti's Bridge. When when the white community saw police on horseback run down pregnant women, run down children, turn their dogs and holes. It wasn't just black men, and that's tragic enough, but they literally saw these people like they were not animals, and white people across the country said, oh, well, this can't be us. We have to do something about this. So sometimes there is something putting that imagery out there. But I get Angelo's point that we are re traumatized the time as happens and having to bear witness to it, So I get it.
Speaker 1: I did want to ask you all, given what we know happened with George Floyd, and when people had to watch and couldn't look away, do you think that it's worth it to show people on our podcast the video of Sean Grayson feeling son, you're massy.
Speaker 7: No, I don't think well, especially Angel, because you said you've been avoiding it, like you've gone out of your way, and.
Speaker 1: I'm a out of the room.
Speaker 7: But we shouldn't. If you feel that song about I mean, I just I don't think it's where there may If you feel that way, that means ten thousand others, you know.
Speaker 1: And I feel torn because I heard what Andrew said about made till you know. I know that there is something that is important about witnessing our death. I can't wait until that same passion. It's just for our ability to live. But it's not here right now. It's like it has to our trauma, our death has to be witnessed for our humanity to be validated.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it, and so that's why I'm saying, if I have to step out so that we might preserve the life of one more, I'll do that.
Speaker 7: No, I think people if people want to see it, they know how to see it. You know, information's at your fingertips. I don't think we need to take our time. I think if it offends or upsets one, it offends or upsets all. And as co hosts. We should just say, okay, we've just bribe what happened. People can go see it. They they know, you know, we've seen this time and time again. And I, you know, Angel, I didn't think about this deeply. I probably need to give you some more thought. But there was some trauma that I definitely carried with me after twenty twenty, like after COVID, after the unrest in all the communities after because George Floyd was not the only person, like we saw time and again reality, Yeah, exactly exactly. It was just two.
Speaker 3: Days before him the New York Times Central Central Park where the neighbor goes Karen on the man and the yeah, the birdwise, So.
Speaker 1: It didn't you know in my home, I'm in Washington State, you know, my hometown. Sorry, really quick, outside right outside of my hometown is an area called Tacoma. Manny Ellis was also shy and killed or killed in the same way as George Floyd. Right, So like we literally we cannot as a geographically, we can't escape it after we reach a certain age. We can't escape it by gender, you know, we can't escape it. Because you live in a progressive area. You know, you cannot escape the whatever racism and supremacy is ingrained in training or the lack thereof, because they want to spend more money on training and equipment, we cannot escape it. And so there needs to be someplace where we are fully liberated and allowed to thrive. We need to have some type of law enforcement that truly is here to protect and serve all, not just so.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and just for historical context, the police industry itself is rooted in white supremacy. Yeah, they swow their ranks. Because I've talked about this on the podcast before, in the early part of last century, there was so much violent vigilanteism that resulted in our death It wasn't that they were like, oh, we got to sow down these deaths. It was oh, these killing needs to be more organized. And so the local commissions that were formed essentially said, you can shoot a black person, beat a black person, murder a black person, but you gotta be wearing a badge while you do it. And that is how police units were formed. They were never meant torect protect us. They were protecting their community from us, and it's hard for us to unlearn that. So that's why there are so much distrust.
Speaker 3: And the further truth, of course, is the prison industrial complex, which is like trying to kill few of them so we can actually get them in prison yep, and pull down that that government money for forty years. Yeah, it is horrible that our community's trauma is sort of the deposit that we make into the well of being viewed for that moment as human.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we have time. I don't want to shift us secretly. I know we're coming up on time and we're going a little over, but do we have time for one more listening? Just because we got so many? Do we have time for one more listener? Question? All right, we got one more of you were questioned Nick Road at tape.
Speaker 6: Greetings, Native lampod I have a question. My name is Kimberly Archie. I'm originally from Seattle, Washington. I now reside in uh Plidel Carma in Mexico. Hey, Angela, my question is this, with Kamala Harris being endorsed as the candidate for the Democrats, how can she navigate uh and push forward a platform that may differ from Biden's platform when she is still as when she's still vice president. I don't understand how she's going to be able to be strategic but also navigate those waters at the same time. How does that happen? You guys have some ideas.
Speaker 1: Love it as missus Archie. So Miss Archie, there's so much, There's so much history, inaab Axo skiing all the things. Shout out to the two O six speaking of whish let me do this before I forget. I'm at Converge Media in the Black Media Matter Studio and I'm just so grateful for them for my flowers today and for hosting us. That's great. Now, Miss Archie, here's what I would say. In order for Kamala to even be able to differentiate and divert a little bit from this agenda, and she has to do that to campaign. I don't think that she has to pooh pooh what's been accomplished with Joe Biden. I also think that she has to be clear about not owning the fullness and the totality of his record. There are things in that record that people are not super excited about. We've talked about them on the podcast. But she should absolutely tout his accomplishments and her specifically where she was front and center on reproductive justice, on maternal health, on some of the things that she believes are accomplishments around the border. I also think that there are places where she legitimately has policy differences from Joe Biden. She can make those points clear in a debate and on her platform on the website, which is still currently being formulated. So those are my short answers.
Speaker 7: I love that, and I think she's gonna have to Angela. I think she's going to have to distinguish herself and lead with courage and conviction on where she you know, where there may have been some daylight between her, between her and President Biden. Look, I think you know, I've been hearing a lot of the chattering class say, well, nobody's ever voted for her before, and they cannot be more wrong. Michael Harriet with The Grio wrote a great piece talking about how many elections she's won. People have voted for her multiple times. So she's very equipped with unfamiliar with being the principal on a campaign. And I hope that my wish for her is that she would come out and not follow polls, you know, not listen to the consultants as as you all talked about, but listen to some of you know, the people who are lay people you know who may not traffic in politics, but the people who will be inspired to vote for her. So I really hope that she does that. I think we gotta do calls to action.
Speaker 1: It is definitely time for cause to action. Mine is to challenge the folks who have been trafficking in myths and misinformation about Kamala Harris's record as prosecutor, about her record as senator, about her record as vice president, that you actually check yourself before you wreck yourself. Boo boo. And that goes for folks on all sides of the spectrum, folks who are in our community and out folks who we may know, Like, just be really careful, careful about what you put out there before fact checking. It's not hard. Yeah, got Google, you can check your source. Tiffany on another podcast, say you how to cite your source. Make sure your sources are accurate, right, But like, let's be very clear about the fact that this is arm's length away. Don't just say things because they're hyperbolic. Make sure you have the facts about who this person is. The election is one hundred than three days away, Tiffany, and.
Speaker 7: I'll go quickly because mine is a shout out and a CTA and it is to my beloved dear brother who is such a fan of both of you are. My brother's name is dayt one, and he is like, we all disagree on this podcast, and like, my brother is never afraid to tell me, like yo, I was feeling like, but Angie, that's my dude, like he was saying. So he feels like he knows y'all. You know, he definitely feels like, yeah, you talked to it was the phone. But he's a fan. Like on the road, he listens to this podcast like the second it drops. My brother is my number one fan. He's always out there listening. So that is my shout out to him. But my call to action is please be safe drivers on the road because I worry about my brother every day, uh driving the big rig and so y'all be careful. Don't be cutting these trucks off and give yourself room. And if you can't see the driver, the driver can't see you. So that is my call to action today and just telling my brother I love him dearly and thank him for.
Speaker 4: All I love.
Speaker 3: That be safety real quick. Following up on Angela's thing about fact checking. Just if you're gonna go to your social media platforms and post abou Kamala Harris, will you will you just do me the favor of maybe posting a positive something that is inspiring you about the campaign before you start digging directly into the thing you don't like. We're not electing Jesus, He's already been determined decided. You're you're electing a president who is human and fallible, and there isn't a person on earth I must believe that you would agree with one hundred percent of the time. So instead of that instinct that we all have to post and let our differences be known with the whomever person in power, maybe check that for a minute, put it on the back burner. That's not to say don't have critiques, but maybe make your first or second or whatever post about this race be what might be inspiring you around considering, supporting, voting for her. And then lastly arrived with five, it's time to work, y'all. Angel has already given us a number of days. We're almost, you know, fewer than one hundred days to the to the election, and our communities are not going to organize themselves, and to the extent that they are, they need bodies to make it effective. So arrive at the post, bring five people with you.
Speaker 1: I love it well. Thank you all so much. By the time we're back, maybe it'll be Harris Shapiro, maybe it'll be Harris Kelly, maybe it'll be Harris Cooper. I don't think it's gonna be Harris for share. Let's see if I'm a betting woman. Let's see, I bet y'all five dollars. It ain't that y'all know the you gotta five people in Kentucky, but we don't see anyway. As we said, there are one hundred and three days left until the election. We're gonna keep saying it on this podcast. This is Native Lampard. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining in the Natives, intentional the info and all of the latest rock gulum mccross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you, sincerely for the patients reason for your choice is cleared. So grateful it took the OA to execute roads. Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth, even in paste for Welcome home, to all of the natives, We thank you.
Speaker 1: Welcome, y'all, welcome.
Speaker 7: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.