Speaker 1: A secret society, a suspicious death, an elite New England graduate school, and a professor and student who come together to study an illicit form of magic and wind up in a dangerous romance. The arcade arts by its decovering the electrifying debut novel that is leaving readers breakfasts available at bookstores.
Speaker 2: Everywhere every day just before school, eleven year old Ema Suite follows a very specific routine.
Speaker 3: So like I wake up, brush my teeth, put on clothes, but I have to like put on sunscreen, and then when I have to go outside to get into the school, I have to put on gloves, a jacket and a hat.
Speaker 2: That's Emma. The protocol she's describing is to protect her from the sun, but it's not the same kind of protection you or I might want or need.
Speaker 3: But sometimes after two layers.
Speaker 2: Layers of clothing so that no square centimeter of skin is exposed, especially her head, Emma's hat, really more of a helmet, has a clear plastic sheet that covers her entire face. It's a sight that can sometimes provoke reactions from strangers.
Speaker 4: But I will say it's really difficult because the conversation always starts with Look at the cute little astronaut, Look at the cute little bee keeper.
Speaker 2: That's Emma's mom, Joanna. And what those people don't understand is that Emma has a very rare condition, one affecting less than three hundred people in the entire country and fewer than two thousand worldwide. It's called zero derma pigmentosum, or XP, and it means that Emma will never ever be able to get any sun exposure. Since being diagnosed, She's never felt the sun on her skin, never run out to recess, unencumbered by piles of clothing. Even as little as one single second of ultraviolet light can be super dangerous.
Speaker 3: So I actually explain it, like I say, you know how some people are like allergic to peanut butter or food allergies for example, while I'm allergic to the sun, and I explained that it's in my DNA and it like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, an allergy to the sun sounds impossible, but for Emma it's her reality. A life those with XP and their families navigate extremely carefully, sometimes not even going out during the day at all, one where windows and even light bulbs can have life altering consequences. Despite this formidable challenge, Emma and others like her are finding ways to move with grace, jumping from one shadow to another and finding comfort, even purpose in the darkness. Welcome to very special episodes and iHeart original podcast. I'm your host, Danish Schwartz, and this is Children of the Moon.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to very special episodes. So glad you've made our show part of your podcast listening routine. I'm usually joined here by Danish Schwartz and Sarah Burnett. Today was a bit of a whirlwind, so I'm going to keep this short and solo. It's a very special, very special episode. Today you're going to meet some wonderful voices who are all very gracious with their time, real quick here. Last week I asked at the top for a little brainstorming help. We're working on topics for the second half of twenty twenty six and beyond. I ask you would email us your all time favorite, very special episode, and many of you did. We got a lot of good feedback all over the map. No consensus, which is great love seeing that they're all my favorites. Were still got some good questions in there too, which will squirrel away for a future mail bag. But those email lines are still open very special episodes at gmail dot com check in. That's enough for me. Let's get this back to data.
Speaker 2: The sun, we are trained to worship it. We hear about the health benefits of vitamin D. We admire the bronzed skin of an outdoors enthusiast. Sun's out guns out. The sun will come out tomorrow, you can bet your bottom dollar. But for some, the sun isn't a symbol of wellness. It's the exact opposite, which begins with an upsetting episode of crying and panic. That's how most parents first find out about XP. For some families, the first sign is a severe blistering sunburn after only minutes outside. One parent described it as happening so quickly it's like time lapse photography. First a little dot, then a wound, then a raging blister, all within minutes. Then a rush to a pediatrician who might suspect food or detergent allergies before consulting an old medical textbook and finding out about XP. Dust off some ancient textbooks and you'll find case studies as far back as the eighteen hundreds, where doctors described patients with skin as delicate as parch and paper. Even today, doctors can easily be puzzled.
Speaker 4: So we go to this dermatologist and the physician assistant said something's wrong with her skin. That's not normal, and we were like, hey, no, no, it's okay. Like they said, it was Exima.
Speaker 2: That's Joanna again. Emma was just two years old and living in Virginia when she had enough sun exposure to damage her skin, causing a peculiar series of freckles. After many tests and many referrals, they finally got an answer. It wasn't eczema.
Speaker 4: They called me on the drive headed over to roanok She was with her dad, and then they asked me to pull over on the side of the road, on which I did, and then they shared with me that she had this rare disease and that we needed to get her in a room and close the blind.
Speaker 2: A chronic condition usually comes with more practical advice. Eat less sugar, take this drug. But life for people with XP gets turned upside down in an instant. Their bodies can't repair the damage to the DNA caused by sunlight the way most people can. The cellular reinforcements that normally arrive and fix us never show up without repair, the likelihood of developing malignancies goes up drastically. Children like Emma are ten thousand times more likely to grapple with skin cancers, mostly on the face and neck, than someone of average risk. While many photosensitive conditions can lead to complications, those with XP are generally at the highest risk for problems, but those details would come later. At the time of Emma's diagnosis, all Joanna really knew was that the sun had to be snuffed out completely.
Speaker 4: And so we did, and I took family medically. If I couldn't work, we couldn't. I didn't even know how to go to the grocery store, so it was a really difficult time. We put carpets in or I put carpets in the windows, and it was like an immediate, like life or die type situation.
Speaker 2: This would be a lot for any parent to take in. We tend to think of kids as naturally vulnerable. Having one that can't go outside without some premeditation is unfathomable for many. For Joanna it meant getting an education for herself. With XP so rare. It's not as though you can have a conversation with a pediatrician. Joanna had to learn on the go, literally.
Speaker 4: And trying to figure out how to live because she wouldn't wear her stuff, like in order for me to take her anywhere, I looked like I was kidnapping her because she would try to take her stuff off, and I'd have to throw a blanket over her, pick her up and get back in the car. Actually had to even purchase a new vehicle because trying to put so imagine a car you open the back door to put her in the car seat, you know, the five point harness with a kid.
Speaker 2: Emma has XPC, part of a spectrum of the disease. About a quarter of XP cases can result in severe neurological problems, with neurons suffering oxidative damage that cannot be repaired. Hearing loss or vision problems are not uncommon. XPC is not as closely associated with these complications, but Emma still has to be mindful with any version of XP. Once a child is diagnosed, their time under the sun is effectively over. Damage occurs so quickly that virtually no amount of ultraviolet light is safe.
Speaker 4: I don't think people truly understand in the beginning it takes a while to educate that we're talking zero exposure, like even a second, you know today, in a second tomorrow. They all add up and it's commulative damage, and it's it's permanent.
Speaker 2: That's why Emma's home is equipped with window tint When she needs to go out, Emma has a routine of sunscreen, layers, gloves, and a hat before making the trek from her home to the car, the better to protect her dry sensitive skin. Special eye drops are used to alleviate one of the other effects of XP.
Speaker 4: People just assume that XP is a skin disease, but it's much more than that. So her eyes would burn like she would just start screaming and crying. My eye are burning. My eyes feel like they're burning. And so we tried all the eye drops in the world and then nothing worked except for serum eye drops, which is made out of your blood.
Speaker 2: The car's windows are tinted to make sure Emma isn't exposed to UV while right. But driving presents another problem.
Speaker 4: And I thought, if we get in a car accident, or if we get pulled over by a police officer, what am I going to do? I can't roll down the window the next thing, I know, they're probably gonna be dragging me out of the car, you know, And so I went on Etsy and had them create a sticker for me that's on the back of the car that says, you know, child with special Needs XP look and glove box.
Speaker 2: Arriving at school, Emma joins her fifth grade class. In acknowledgment of Emma's condition, the district has put protective film on all the windows of the building. Peers understand for the most part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, like when I was in second grade, I kind of like got a lot of bullies who are in fifth grade, and my brother's friend actually found out and told the principal or the counsel or school counselor.
Speaker 4: So he's very nice.
Speaker 3: And helpful, but they kept calling me like astronaut, the keeper, like sunkeeper, like she said, just a lot of not good names.
Speaker 2: School is a kind of controlled setting. When Emma ventures elsewhere, Joanna needs to keep a constant watch of UV levels. She uses a light meter, assessing when it's safe for Emma to peel off her protective attire.
Speaker 4: So we carry the UV light meter everywhere we go.
Speaker 2: The meter should ideally read zero nanometers.
Speaker 4: I would not let her outside if it was anything above a zero. Now it's a five, so I budged a little teeny bit so that allows her during the golden hour, right, so when the sun is gone, right before the sun goes down, it might be like a ten or a five for five minutes.
Speaker 2: The meter is one of the few things for XP Joanna can buy off the shelf or on Amazon. Protective hat with it's built in fan is custom made. There are no medical equipment places that routinely sell XP friendly attire.
Speaker 4: It's a nightmare.
Speaker 6: It's it's a process.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I have to make them myself. I don't like doing it, and I don't like sewing. I'm not very good at it. First you have to find a hat that isn't meter, or you have to find multiple hats that you can put together.
Speaker 2: But when things line up at night, the meter at or close to zero, Emma can peel off those layers and feel the cool air on her bare skin.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love being at night. I really want to like stay outside. Sometimes I go out in my backyard and just like go barefoot with like short sleep and short far so I feel most comfortable, like at the lake. Sometimes like I just like flow, like on my back and just like look at the stars and just like feel comfort. And it's nice since I dar'n't wear any of my stuff.
Speaker 2: It's hard to separate Emma's story from Joanna's. It's been said that XP isn't a singular diagnosis. Instead, it's a diagnosis given to the entire family. That's because everyone has to be aware of the pitfalls of sun exposure and how routines need to be modified to accommodate that, and parents have to endure the feeling of wondering how to best care for them. There's no manual for XP, no guidebook for how to give a child and enriching life while respecting their body's hyper reactive response to sunlight.
Speaker 4: And I'm always amazed. I get emotional a day or two after I give the talk because I'm reminded, like I do not live a normal life, you know, but you forget because it's our new normal, right.
Speaker 2: XP is a lifelong disease. It never spontaneously resolves. Other non skin cancers can arise, like ovarian or thyroid cancer. There can be early onset menopause, and having XP doesn't absolve you of any other health problems. Last fall, Joanna and Emma received some upsetting news.
Speaker 4: So we were trying to be very proactive and did an annual MRI and they found that she actually has six brain tumors that she was diagnosed with last fall. I took time off of work again. We went to Boston Children's Hospital. Nobody can explain it. They thought she had a second rare disease called NF one, but she doesn't, so they don't really know what to do with it. They just said, let's just see if they're growing, and so we do a brain MRI often and they are and growing, so we're just not going to worry about them.
Speaker 2: XP can mean a life of extreme routine coupled with uncertainty because Emma's condition was caught at an early age. She's doing all the right things, but what sort of future might await Emma and others like her. Imagine walking into a room for the very first time. You might notice pictures or maybe a carpet that needs vacuuming. But Amy Townley is looking for other things.
Speaker 6: One other windows. I mean, the next thing I do is light bulbs.
Speaker 2: That's Amy.
Speaker 6: What kind of light bulbs are they using? Third is first windows, light bulbs. The third is just like just the overall environment. Basically like I almost feel like my eyes work. I've trained my eyes to work the same as almost a light meter, just because I have metered everything my whole life, and now I can look at something like, oh, that's probably you know, on the meter A twelve or fifteen, and usually I'm within three or four points. I guess you could say when I, you know, I just like guesstimate off of my eyes and then I actually you know.
Speaker 2: Meter her Amy is twenty four years old, earned her Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences at Grand Canyon University and is currently a mom living in Arizona. Like Emma, she has XPC. All the precautions that Emma's mother takes, from window tents to layers of clothing. That's on Amy to do herself. But just avoiding the sun isn't enough. Fluorescent lighting is a big concern. Even some light bulbs give off UV light enough to cause skin damage if Amy isn't careful.
Speaker 6: So whenever I'm in a new environment, I always check the light bulbs or like the lights that in the room, because some light bulbs to put out heavy.
Speaker 2: It's not just lamps. Think about the light sources you encounter in everyday life. The tiny lights attached to surgical instruments, the flickering vending machine at a pizza parlor, the oncoming beams of passing cars at night.
Speaker 6: When I go to the dentist, they can't use the light at the dentist, or like the when I got braces, the curing light for braces. So there's a lot of things that you know you do have to take precautions for, but a lot of time the media really bends them to make it I guess worse.
Speaker 2: Ah, the Media Present Company excluded. Of course, Hollywood has taken a crack at XP a few times. In the two thousand and one horror film The Others, Nicole Kidman's two children are forced to remain indoors due to a photosensitive condition. In the nineteen eighty eight film The Dark Side of the Sun, a young Brad Pitt plays Rick, a teen afflicted with an XP like condition. Fond of riding motorcycles, Rick uses his helmet and leathers to shield himself from the sun. The movie is obscure, released years after Pitt actually became famous. A more recent example is Midnight Sun, a twenty eighteen movie starring Bella Thorne. Bella's character finds XP to be an obstacle in her love life. She's a kind of vampire pastiche, only daring to come out at night and wondering if she'll ever be able to fully commit to Charlie played by Patrick Schwarzenegger. These movies tend to treat XP as a romantic tragedy, something to separate lovers from happiness. For actual XP patients, their frustrating and only contribute to a societal view of XP as fodder for young adult melodrama.
Speaker 6: And then you know, I'm walking down the street the next week and someone comes up to me like, oh, do you have that condition that the girl in that movie has? And I'm like yes, but you know, I'm not going to die because I'm out in the sun for two seconds. First, I'm going to protect myself. But like, it's just wild how they portray XP in you know, TV shows and movies.
Speaker 2: Fortunately, Midnight Sun was no Twilight, so stereotypes about XP may not be too widespread. It's too rare a condition, and it's that rarity that creates a real problem for those living with it. When Amy played soccer in middle school, she was able to wear ice packs under her layers of clothing to keep from getting heat exhaustion. But sometimes those layers can prove concerning.
Speaker 6: Because a lot of the time, because I'm wearing so many layers to protect my skin, I get extremely hot and in some cases I have passed out because of the extreme heat that expew patients endure because of having to protect ourselves.
Speaker 2: The danger hasn't disappeared. Even though she was diagnosed as a baby. The sun exposure she did get has long term consequences.
Speaker 6: Since I was diagnosed at eighteen months old, I've had thirty seven skin cancers removed, majority from my face. The way that it was explained to me is that a lot of the time cancers that will pop up now on my skin are consequences of when I was exposed before I was diagnosed, which I mean, I'm almost twenty four now, so that seems pretty crazy. But some cells take a really long time to grow and populate, and then they just pop up, and then once they're there, they just grow and grow and go.
Speaker 2: Some expe patients can have one hundreds of procedures to keep lesions from spreading. There is an upside to this, though, With vigilance and preventative care XP patients are living longer, better lives. It's just a different kind of life. Take dating, for example. Growing up, Amy found herself trying to explain her condition to potential partners. Some understood, others didn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't actually date till college, just because I mean, obviously I was interested in boys in high school. But you know, no high school boy is going to want to go out with the girl that can't go to the football game or go sit at the baseball game or go you know, I don't know the activities you do when you're in high school on dates, outside and all those things.
Speaker 2: Then a few years ago Amy met her future husband. She told him about her photo sensitivity.
Speaker 6: He didn't say anything originally, like when I put my hat on or anything, but I was like, hey, I just want to like tell you, by the way, you know, I've wroa AE shack disorder can't be exposed to sunlight. And he's like, okay, cool, and they just kept eating like it wasn't even that like much of an issue, which partially made me like him even more because he really didn't care.
Speaker 2: Solid guy. They married and settled in Arizona. You might be thinking, why Arizona, of all places, why doesn't everyone with XP just move to, say Seattle.
Speaker 6: A lot of the time, it's like I'm going from inside my air conditioning apartment to my air conditioning car into an air conditioned building. So it's like I'm just making small hops in between everywhere. So people I always get the question like, why would you choose Arizona like this because of the sun and my mostly my reaction is the sun is literally everywhere. That does not matter where I go. It's just, you know, you can't get away from the sun by choosing a different state.
Speaker 2: But as with many adults who have what some perceive as a disability, Amy sometimes finds that others prefer to make decisions for her that they believe they know what's best for her.
Speaker 6: Or I'm not going to invite her to this Fourth of July party I'm having, or I'm not going to invite them to this Easter brunch, you know, whatever the event is. Just because I can't go outside like I can go outside, I just have to wear my protective hood and you know, protect my skin, and a lot of people just make that decision for me, which is extremely aggravating, because there are a lot of things that you know, I would love to come to your Fourth of July barbecue, whatever. It's just sometimes I might have to step inside to cool off, or I have to wear my hood and that, as you know, that's a decision for me to make. It's not a decision for you to make.
Speaker 2: Stories like Amy's aren't unusual any more. Not long ago, researchers doubted many patients would live to see their thirties. With early diagnosis and diligence, many XP patients have a good outlook.
Speaker 7: What we have shown recently and we're just about to publicly present the results on this, is that if patients are really well protected from UV from an earlier as age as possible and diagnosed as early as possible, and if the skin cancers are treated well and they're treated early so they don't have a chance to spread, then what we have in our group is that the life expectancy seems to have gone up not far from the rest of the general population.
Speaker 2: That's doctor Robert Sarcini. He's the former head and now a senior consultant at the Photodermatology Unit at Guy's in Saint Thomas's Hospital in London. When patients visit the facility for treatment and guidance, they see dermatologists. They also see psychologists and so do their families. But the key is adhering to protocols, the light meters, the layers. It's life saving, but not everyone is as diligent as Joanna, Emma and Amy.
Speaker 7: Our psychology team essentially explored what were the things that were stopping people from protecting because we started off by recording over a prolonged period of several weeks with as many of our patients as we could, exactly how much and when the ultra violet was reaching the skin on the face. It was a difficult project to do, but it was really worthwhile. And what we found was that about two thirds sixty five percent of the patients were already protecting really well and there were one third who were not protecting well at all. And that was the third who clearly were going to do really badly in terms of early skin cancer's, early death and all of that. And when we explored what the barriers were, what was stopping them from protecting. Quite often it was beliefs they had about the condition or feelings about stigmatization.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't someone take XP seriously. Teens with the condition can still go through a rebellious phase where parents might not be heated. It can even happen sooner of her mother's light metering. Emma has an opinion about that.
Speaker 4: Emma thinks that I am I need to chill in her own work. You need to, But the problem is is that you can't because even two seconds in the sun causes permanent damage. And so yes, I agree that there has to be a balance when it comes to any type of exposure. There I will always be rigid with that.
Speaker 2: It's something doctor Sarkany has seen often. There's real no such thing as being over protective when sun exposure can be fatal, but XP or not, kids will always have an independence.
Speaker 7: Streak, you know, exert their independence from their parents. And that's particularly likely to be the case in our experience with children whose parents are very worried about them for very good reason that their child has an illness and that they need this UV protection, and that can create, really it can create difficult and stressful dynamics inside families and inside relationships between teenagers who have the disease and their parents who are trying to protect them, and teenagers who want to you know, want to do their own thing and show they're not going to be told what to do. So it's complicated.
Speaker 2: Others can swing the other way, choosing a nocturnal life, assuming total avoidance is safest. But in a study, doctor Sarkany found that philosophy wasn't necessarily an advantage.
Speaker 7: Adults protected not nearly as well when they were outside, but spent much much more time inside. On average. The children protected very well when they're outside and they're outside a lot, and when you average it out, going outside a lot but being well protected ended up with the same amount of.
Speaker 2: UV with just a few hundred cases. There's not much research being actively conducted into a cure. Management becomes the priority, but there is some encouraging news. Is it possible that Emma Amy or poor Bella Thorne could ever conceivably venture outside during the day uncovered and unconcerned.
Speaker 8: Yes, usually on a very sunny, high UV day, In.
Speaker 9: As little as five minutes, you could start to feel a reaction coming on, and usually that for me.
Speaker 8: Now over time. That tells me I have about five minutes to get you know, some were safe.
Speaker 2: That's Craig leopard.
Speaker 9: Whether that's inside or underneath, you know, something shaded or else. I would have a full blown reaction. If you ask a lot of people with EPP or other photosensitive conditions, you'd be pretty taken back by how violent they would describe the feeling and the reaction itself. I often think of my reaction as if you were to accidentally put your hand on a stove and burn that.
Speaker 8: You know that burning sensation.
Speaker 2: Craig doesn't have XP. He has erythropoetic proto porphyria or EPP. It's another photosensitive condition that makes sun exposure incredibly painful because of an enzyme deficiency.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the easiest way to cut through all the noise, I usually just say I'm allergic to the sun. You know, you don't get a lot of fo all questions after that. But if you wanted the real medical sense, you know, people with my condition with EPP, which is a erythropoetic protoporphyria. I always joke you say that three times fast. You know, the furniture in your house starts moving. But with EPP, you know, we have a malfunction in the enzyme that converts light sensitive molecules called protoporphrins into heame and as a result of that, these molecules accumulate over time within the body, and when those molecules are exposed to sunlight through the skin, toxic photochemical reaction occurs. So, as you can see, it's much easier just say you're allergic to the sun and hope no one asks follow up questions.
Speaker 2: EPP doesn't have the kind of long term DNA damage that precipitates the skin cancers, but it can damage blood, leading to organ issues. Like the others, Craig has to take precautions. Now thirty five, his life has been one of sun avoidance, not only to prevent complications, but to prevent the sheer physical pain. Growing up, Craig experienced the same kind of feeling of otherness that can accompany these genetic conditions.
Speaker 9: I wore, you know, growing up, I wore long sleeves, you know, basically all year round pants, I'm a hoodie or a hat, had gloves at my disposal. I never went out for recess on a sunny day, you know. I did two lunches, which probably was probably wasn't great in the fourth grade, you know, double lunch.
Speaker 8: I never went out for a fire drill.
Speaker 9: Obviously I knew where the you know, what to do in the case of a fire, but you know, just kind of sat at my desk for the five minutes that everyone went out and back in.
Speaker 2: Craig's sister Nicole, was also diagnosed with EPP. Because it's genetically inherited, there's always that chance.
Speaker 9: And I think my parents were My parents are amazing people. You know, they're really the backbone in the philosophy that they instilled in us of why I started this organization called Shadow Jumpers that.
Speaker 8: Helps these families. My parents met.
Speaker 9: Every moment as a family that we were going to do this, and we were going to do it the way we wanted, and we're not going to feel sorry for ourselves that now two kids have a one in a million rare condition.
Speaker 2: Shadow Jumpers is Craig's support group for patients and their families. Their sun Escape program, a travel destination getaway, is an opportunity for kids to have fun with their peers. It wasn't the first. Back in nineteen ninety six, parents Dan and Karen Mahar started Camp Sundown in New York. Their camp catered to XP families and as a way of lessening the feeling of isolation for their daughter, Katie, who was diagnosed at age two. While few in number, these types of groups are the bedrock of the XP community, which can find itself underserved by medical professionals. Every year, sometimes twice a year, a dozen or more kids with photo sensitive conditions arrive at sun Escape. It's a sleep away camp with all the typical activities you'd find in a regular summer gathering.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: All of our activities are set to feel like camp or really you know, a really fun weekend with activities like archery, ziplinding, a pool, horseback riding, you know, a petting zoo. We have you know, parties on the lawn, cabins, all the stuff that you know you would close your eyes and picture that's camp, but done in a sunsafe way with UV protective coverings and all the exposed windows. Activities set at night with safe exterior lighting to you know, like the field, like the pool. We have a UV bus, you know, a bus with all the windows covered to help campers get to certain parts of the facilities.
Speaker 2: It was at one of these camps where Emma suite met a close friend with XP here Emma.
Speaker 3: Her name is Olivia and she's super nicely eyes the same XPC as me, and it's been really good. We text on a messenger and yeah, we go to like so escape with each other, like the camp in May, and yeah we do like the Talent show together and everything, and it's super fun.
Speaker 2: At its best. It's also a way for those with these conditions to not be defined completely by their son intolerance.
Speaker 8: Like, you know, nothing is going to change what you have, so you should make do with what you got, you know.
Speaker 9: And I think that's really what we try to instill in people, not saying it's easy, you know, even you know, some of.
Speaker 8: These other conditions are hard.
Speaker 9: You know, CEP is hard, XP is hard, But you got this is the only life you got and nothing's going to change that, So lean in because being sad, there's nothing's going to come out from using that towards being sad. So we got to put it, try to funnel our energy into something that man at least it's going to make tomorrow better, you know, maybe.
Speaker 2: But for many patients and their families it can be hard advice to follow the sun is a formidable threat, one in which shielding and shunning is practical advice. As we mentioned, XP, EPP and other similar afflictions are exceedingly rare. And rare isn't a word that often appears in the drug company playbook. But just over a year ago, Craig heard about a clinical trial. It was for a drug called bidopertin. It assists the body in reducing the sun sensitivity found in those with EPP. Craig had enrolled in EPP drug trials before and wasn't going to get his hopes up.
Speaker 9: When there's clinical trials and people need research and surveys and stuff, it's a small net of people to go to. So I've been in clinical trials for a variety of drugs since two thousand and nine. Within our community, I was affectionately known as the placebo man.
Speaker 8: I've did six clinical trials. I got the placebo every time.
Speaker 2: But this time was different. After taking the placebo, he was permitted to receive the actual drug after being on it for a few weeks. He did something he had never done before. He ventured outside. No hat, no long sleeves, nothing between his skin, and the sun.
Speaker 9: I've actually been on the bitto partin drug, the real thing, for about a year, and it's just been it's just been such a game changer for me.
Speaker 2: For the first time since his diagnosis. At the age of five, Craig felt the warmth of the sun against his arms and face. He stayed out for hours. He got a sunburn.
Speaker 9: I would say it used to be very, very full, Like even if you were freezing and you walked into the sun, you'd be like, Ah, Now I get it a little bit. I get why people look forward to spring, winter into spring and spring into summer. It's it's a very warm and you know, euphoric feeling even one percent. Yeah, it's just it's it's been such a slow yeah again no pun intended's slow burn of really learning to embrace and kind of getting rid of the PTSD, of so many tough moments with the sun.
Speaker 2: The drug, while still in clinical trials, is promising. The manufacturer, disc Medicine, was turned down by the FDA for accelerated approval, but is hoping to garner traditional approval in the near future. It also points to a more hopeful idea because some of these conditions correlate so strongly with skin cancer. There's overlap between cancer fighting drugs and these ultra genetic abnormalities. Here's doctor Sarkini again.
Speaker 7: This DNA repair process, which does not work properly in children with XP, is a pretty fundamental and important protection that all of us have against cancer, and it's a sort of anti cancer protection system, so that anything that's discovered in XP is likely to be useful more widely for people with common cancers. With various common cancers, there is a dramatic sort of change happening in the treatment of genetic diseases as well, so EPP. I've been involved with treating patients of EPP for thirty five years and there really has not been effective treatment until the last five or ten years for that condition. Do I think something's going to come up? Fifteen years ago, I'd have said, not sure that it's going to happen in my lifetime, But yeah, I think something. It's more likely that it will come up in the next ten, fifteen, twenty years than that it won't.
Speaker 4: On his feeling.
Speaker 2: For now, the best kind of treatment remains community. In addition to shadow Jumpers, families also have the XP Support group which was started by Amy's mother, Michelle, back in two thousand and five. The group raises funds and offers resources to families facing financial struggles with medical expenses or protective gear like helmets. Amy is now its executive director, but support doesn't come only from other affected families. Years ago, when Craig was playing high school football in New Jersey, the community contributed to a fundraising campaign to install stadium lights so Craig could play at night. Emma Sweet's church went the extra mile to make sure Emma and her family could attend services safely by tinting their windows. Three ms donated the window tint for Emma's home. One company even made it possible for Emma to go camping with a special UV blocking tent. Here's Emma.
Speaker 3: Well, it makes me feel grateful for what I have because sometimes you just like take things for randed. Like I said, it just makes me feel grateful and loved, like people are there for me.
Speaker 2: For every stranger who doesn't quite understand these conditions, there are many more who simply don't need to. They see a person who needs a little helping hand and offer it unconditionally.
Speaker 5: Very Special Episodes is made by some Very Special People. This show is hosted by Dana Schwartz, Zaren Vernett, and Jason English. Our senior producer is Josh Fisher. Today's episode was written by Jake Rosson, editing and sound design by Jonathan Washington. Additional editing by Mary Doo, mixing and mastering by Josh Fisher. Original music by Elise McCoy, show logo by Lucy Quintonia. Executive producer is Jason English. Very Special Episodes is a production of iHeart Podcasts.