Speaker 1: Also media, Welcome back to Behind the Bastards, the special episodes on how We're all possibly going to die in nuclear hell fire.
Speaker 2: I'm Robert Evans. This is a series we'll be doing over the course of two weeks, five episodes. We're in our second week, so we'll be getting a bonus episode this week about the sons of bitches who created the doomsday device that again could kill every single person you've ever known and loved in every animal and on earth except for you know, cockroaches and the like fifteen minutes from now or right now. You know, we'd have no way of knowing unless you're I don't know, in the White House at this exact moment. Margaret Kiljoy, Welcome to the show. How are you doing. You're thinking about nukes?
Speaker 3: Well, I got promise this is about Warhammer forty k but no, I suppose we're learning about the nuclear of Poculus.
Speaker 2: I'll bring you on when we do our Warhammer show. That'll oh yeah, yeah, there's a lot of genocide in that too.
Speaker 3: I could be the podcast today for that because I actually don't know anything about Warhammer.
Speaker 2: It does involve a lot of nukes and radiation, poisoning, which is what we ended our last episode talking about our friend Lewis Sloton, who was the partial father of the first atomic bomb, had his inards dissolved due to a horrible nuclear error.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that's like kind of like leave a record for science because he was a pretty cool guy. Like that's that's badass, Like when you know that, like, Okay, well I have just taken an immediately fatal dose of radiation.
Speaker 2: I'm going to die the most nightmarish death imaginable. Time to take notes like fucking that's cool. That's cool, Like and I guess so acting.
Speaker 3: With agency is like a really good way to not stress, right, yes, you know, and like I have a job. I'm just doing my job.
Speaker 2: And I'd say it takes him off the perpetrate, like he did help build that first nuke, but as we've discussed, there's some mitigating factors. I think dying to it afterwards, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, has come up AND's happened.
Speaker 2: I'm taking them off the list of guys I'm pissed at. Yeah, so before we move on past World War Two, we should at least linger on what guys like LeMay and General Power would have argued was the most important question of the whole war, Right, which is still a question that people debate today. Did the use of atomic weapons against the Empire of Japan force its leaders to surrender, thus sparing both Japan and the allies, primarily the US, a hideously bloody ground invasion. Right, this is a question people still argue about. There's not an objective answer here. I think you'll it'll be pretty clear where I tend to land once we get through this. Right, But this isn't something that like, this is something that's debated, right. I'm not going to come in and just give one side of this. Again, I have my my take on the matter. I think it's worth emphasizing even if you argue that the sheer horror of atomic warfare forced Japan to surrender, that the military Japan never independently agreed to call it quits, and if the Emperor of Japan had not broken the Supreme Council's deadlock and started peace negotiations, we can't say that the civilian population wouldn't have continued supporting the war effort, no matter how many fire bombs or even additional nukes fell. Right, We actually don't know that there's a that's a valid point. There's also an argument that the view pushed after the war, which is that the horror of nuclear warfare was justified by avoiding a greater slaughter in Japan. That like, if we had invaded the main islands, so many more people would have died. That that gives too much credit to atomic weapons as a single weapons system. In an article for outrider dot org Jasmine Power Rights, there is general agreement that the bombing of Nagasaki did little in the way of changing the hearts and minds of the Japanese military. By blaming their surrender on the atomic bombs, Japan avoided the Soviet Union having a hand in the post war reconstruction process. Japan was afraid that the Soviet Union might try to push a communist regime onto the country. It was also very convenient for the US that the attributed their surrender to the atomic bombings, and.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, so it was a way to stay capitalist, was to be like, oh, it was the nukes, the nukes to us.
Speaker 2: In more than that, it was a way to avoid whatch happened to Germany? Right, they're watching Germany get split up? Right, that's obvious at this point, and they don't want that, you know, and surrendering now before the Soviets are in, you know, in the mix, so to speak, means that the country doesn't get split up. Right, You're not gonna have Tokyo divided or whatever. Right, that's one argument people will make, you know, And in this view, pretty simply, Japan was defeated not because of the nukes, although that's not a non factor, but they were defeated because they were defeated viciously and comprehensively in every field of military endeavor. It's not just the nukes. It's the fact that we beat the shit of them all across the Pacific, right, yeah, like, which is probably, i mean, certainly a more accurate view than just saying it was the nukes, right Like, there was a whole war. A lot of guys had to die to finish that thing, right And Yeah, Harry Truman, the president who ordered the atomic bombs dropped, went on record basically saying that military planners had told him that when they were looking into like what how many people would die in an invasion of the Japanese Home islands, American casualties alone would have been in the neighborhood of five hundred thousand to a million, and if you're talking about the kind of casualty ratios that we saw on these other island hopping campaigns, and that would have meant both the military and civilian cost for Japan would have been higher than that. Right Now, that said, this is not a real estimate, as best as I can tell, you will encounter it often. It comes up constantly, but it's heavily debatable whether or not those numbers that five hundred to a million American casualties estimate have any basis in reality. Lose in Europe we lost in the whole war, the United States lost about half a million people, Okay, Like so this this would be basically doing World War Two all over again for US more or less. Right, It's not perfectly accurate, but it's pretty close. And I want to quote from an article by Alfi Khne on kind of the veracity of these numbers. Historian Barton Bernstein writes that military planners at the time put the number of American casualties between twenty thousand and forty six thousand. But far more disturbing than this discrepancy is the strong possibility that neither an invasion nor in nuclear attack was actually necessary to get Japan to surrender. And this is an interesting point because if you're saying, oh, five hundred thousand to do a million Americans killed and injured, millions of Japanese people dead, you know, maybe the nukes save lives. But if you're looking at well twenty to forty six, forty or fifty thousand American casualties, probably twice that many Japanese casualties, well, maybe that's better than nuke the islands. Right, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: What, could they have just laid siege the whole because they were already they weren't.
Speaker 2: In fact doing Yeah, and that's another point, as we'll get to. That's another point people will make, is that Japan would have broken on its own right. In a good essay on the subject for his book You Know What They Say, The Truth About Popular Belief, Alfie Cone gives a succinct version of what we might call this skeptic's case against the necessity of nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He notes that the US fire bombs had already incinerated Japan's six largest cities and are basically the siege that we put on the Home Islands had blocked all oil from entering the country. What held up Japanese surrender was in part a desire for the Emperor to retain his title, con sites in nineteen forty six report from the War Department Strategic Bombing Surveys Study Group, which concluded the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs did not defeat Japan, nor by the testimony of the enemy leaders who ended the war, did they persuade Japan to accept unconditional surrender. The Emperor, the Lord Privy Seal, the Prime Minister, the Foreign Minister, and the Navy Minister had decided as early as May of nineteen forty five that the war should be ended, even if it meant acceptance of defeat on Allied terms. Based on a detailed investigation of all the facts, supported by the testimony of the surviving Japanese leaders involved, is the survey's opinion that, certainly prior to his thirty first of December nineteen forty five, and in all probability prior to first November nineteen forty five, pan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, Even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or completed. This is the US War Department.
Speaker 3: So that's the They were already beat theory.
Speaker 2: They were beat. They were beat. And I would say that's by far the strongest argument if you're going with the fact based argument. Not that it's the only one, but I think it's the strongest. You know, your feelings may vary on this. I'm not a historian, but I'm convinced pretty well now. There was at least one other secret intelligence assessment from the same time, done by the US Armies planning an operations group, which reached a similar conclusion, and several prominent US officers agreed. Admiral William Lahey, the president's chief of staff during the war, called Truman's decision to deploy an atomic bomb for the first time adopting quote an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the dark Ages, which is a nuts thing for the president's chief of staff to say about. Like Dwight Eisenhower reached a similar conclusion early on, arguing it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing. So I guess I go with Ike on this. One. Not a perfect man, but he pretty much he knew World War two pretty well.
Speaker 3: That's why he had the I'm with Ike button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with Ike. It wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing. We didn't have to do that. Yeah, now I've allowed that. There's still some room for argument here about how much the use of nukes influenced Japan's decision to surrender, because the bombing campaign in general influenced their decision to surrender, and the nukes were part of that. Right, But what isn't arguable is this President Truman and men in high positions within the US Army like Curtis LeMay never considered anything but a nuclear option once they knew they had a bomb. Right, there was never any possibility in their minds but that they would use it. Percne's article, the fearsome new weapon was not treated as an option of last resort. It would be easier to accept the argument that he Truman had no choice but to drop the bomb if other possibilities, such as demonstrating its power to Japan the leaders on an unpopulated island and demanding surrender, had been carefully considered. They were not there was never a serious attempt at to find a strategy short of obliterating the children of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. As Yale sociologist Kai Eriksson put it, using nuclear weapons was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a product of mature consideration. We have it on the authority of virtually all the principal players that no one in a position to do anything about it ever really considered alternatives to dropping the bombs on Japan.
Speaker 3: So that's pretty much we have a new toy. Weird, We're gonna see what this thing does. Yeah, this sphenometer goes up to two hundred, I'm going to two hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're already planning for the next war. Like they handed Lameya list of Soviet cities that might be nuclear targets, right, Like they wanted to use this thing in part to scare the Russians. That's not all it was, but that was part of their logic, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now it bears emphasizing that the atomic bombs we dropped in Japan killed between one hundred and fifty thousand and two hundred and fifty thousand people. The initial death toll was horrific enough, but it was what came after. It really was the nightmare. I've spoken to a Hiroshima survivor and she described the site of thousands of blinded, burnt people throwing themselves into rivers in a desperate attempt to quench their burning bodies, and all of these, like a huge number of these people died. Like the rivers were just flooded with corpses, charred bodies of people who had tossed themselves, burnt and singing and like melting basically into the water. It was horrible, And in the days and weeks after the bombing, survivors started to sicken, vomiting up blood, pulling their hair out, and clumps from radiation poisoning. Right, Like, this is something that we were pretty immediately aware that not only does the bomb kill a shitload of people when it goes off, but there are knock on effects that continue killing people. Right even though we didn't have a full understanding of this, we had a pretty good understanding pretty early of what we were doing to people with these things. The Air Corps generals did their best to minimize the horror of atomic weapons. In November of nineteen forty five, General Leslie Groves, who again the military head of the Manhattan Project, that before the US Senate Special Committee on Atomic Energy, and I want to read you a selected Q and A from that meeting, Senator Milligan. General, is there any medical antidote to excessive radiation? General Groves. I'm not a doctor, but I will answer it anyway. I always love it when people say that the radio act of casualty can be of several classes. He can have enough so that he will be killed instantly. He can have a smaller amount which will cause him to die rather soon, and as I understand it from the doctors, without undue suffering. In fact, they say it is a very pleasant way to die. Oh yeah, that's what people say about people say about radiation, about having your insides liquefied, pleasant, chill.
Speaker 3: All the parts of you that tell you that you're in trouble are also destroyed.
Speaker 2: So yeah, exactly, you're fine.
Speaker 3: You're chillin now happens to everyone.
Speaker 2: That was a lie. That was not just Groves not knowing. That was Groves lying to try and make nukes more palatable for Americans when he said that the average citizen, and indeed the average senator, would not have had to dig very deep to find at least a little countervailing evidence that radiation poisoning was not pleasant. Precisely what had happened on the ground in Hiroshima and Nagasaki was not yet fully understood by most Americans, but early reports of horrific burns and lingering sickness far from the blast sight were available. More to the point, you've heard about the radium girls in the like. People had been exposing themselves to different kinds of radiation for decades and they died horribly. We knew radiation poisoning was not pleasant before we ever dropped an atomic bomb. Right now. Again, the point here is that Groves was he was not just lying, He was engaged in a cover up. This is a conspiracy, and it's a conspiracy that ran parallel to one of the most successful marketing campaigns of all time, the campaign to get Americans on the bomb. Step one of that campaign was to keep people from thinking of the horrors of atomic weapons for a little while, longer we knew eventually it would get out. Right. These generals all knew you can't lie about this forever, right, But the longer we lie about it, the more money we get into these programs, the more momentum they get behind them, the more we can centralize the US military and defense apparatus around nukes, which was their goal right Their goal was replaced as many humans as possible with atomic weapons, and they start on it almost immediately. For these generals, as for Curtis LeMay, the existence of the atom bomb seems to have given some sort of purpose and provided a dark, animating force to the remainder of their lives. Immediately after the war's end, they set to work launching a new kind of campaign, a media blitz targeted at convincing decision makers in the US that nukes were the only future for the military that was worth caring. About three months after the bombing of Hiroshima, LeMay visited the Ohio Society in New York City to give a speech. He warned slash promise the men a symbol that the next war, understood to be the next World War, would be fought with rockets, radar, jet propulsion, television guided missiles, and that all of these weapons would be launched at speeds faster than sound and involve atomic power. So he's he's got a pretty clear vision of the future. Our friend Curtis Lamay, and he is now trying to sell.
Speaker 3: It and like, are there other because Okay, we have this like thing where apparently people who build bombs are obsessed with how bombs are the only thing?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Right? Are there other character classes who feel like similar about like, like are like the fighter jets being like, no, all that matters is fighter jets?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead, yes there are, and what we will talk about that. Unfortunately, most of the people who disagree with le may just want nukes to be used differently. But there are some people, there's a couple of decent human beings still in the military establishment in this period who are like, what the fuck is wrong with you people? Are you at our minds?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know what this thing does? Yeah, I'm able to figure out this means to destroy the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seems bad. Why are we building the world killing machine? Why are we doing this?
Speaker 3: We live here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the one planet that we've got.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Back in nineteen twenty one, do Hay had argued that the invention of the bomber craft basically rendered all all other types of weaponry obsolete, and LeMay was making a similar argument, but with the nuclear weapon at the heart of this fabled air force that could finally do the whole job of war all on its own. He argued, quote, the air force must be allowed to develop unhindered and unchained. There must be no ceiling, no boundaries, no limitations to our air power development. That doesn't sound at all like a crazy man, No, and it's you know, this is a pretty bleak series of episodes. I will say. One thing that has me optimistic is that Curtis Lemy tried harder than any single human ever has to end the human race and he didn't do it. And I don't quite know why. Like, it's shocking that we survived. Curtis Lamay, he would do shit like fly bombers into Russian airspace just to like tweak them, Like he was such a piece of shit, And they always had.
Speaker 3: Nukes, right, quantum immortality as a species. That that's all I got.
Speaker 2: It's nuts, Like no one has ever tried harder to wipe out the human race than Curtis fucking went with his fucking dead face. Oh man, it's nuts. I wonder if like.
Speaker 3: The villains and pulp stuff from like two hundred years ago didn't even claim that they're going to destroy the world, whereas like now we have villains who are like, I'm going to destroy the world, like yeah, yeah, because people can now.
Speaker 2: People can now, and we have examples of people who really worked hard to try to do that, you know. And this is ultimately kind of why we are now at the point where the whole human race is, you know, fifteen to thirty minutes away from annihilation at any given moment in time, which is Curtis LeMay and a bunch of guys that followed him felt the air force, and to them this means the nuclear air force must be allowed to develop, unhindered and unschained. I cannot emphasize enough how much of LeMay's speech to the Ohio Society was just warmed up do Hay. He insisted no air attack, once it is launched, can be completely stopped. This was an echo of du Hay's argument that the sky was too vast for bombers to be perfectly intercepted, right, And this hadn't proved true in World War Two, But when you got nukes, it kind of is true. Right. If you send five hundred bombers and they each have a nuke, one of them is going to drop that fucker, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, when people say history doesn't repeat but it rhymes, yeah, this feels a little on the nose. I actually wasn't sure. Do May and lou Hay, Yeah, do Hay and le May?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. It is weird how history literally rhyme.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I hadn't even got that fuck no, because I was trying to remember which one was which.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Dueyes, the old Italian guy who was like in nineteen twenty one Bombers of the Future all, we need no use in having anything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah. A couple decades later, the man who rhymes says the same thing, right, nuke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you get if anyone gets into the military whose name rhymes with either of these guys' names, we need to redact it immediately. So, as Richard, I'm going to quote now from a piece in The New Yorker by Richard Rhodes in which he lays out le May's thinking in the rest of this speech, and it all kind of follows from the bay that you can't stop an aerial nuclear attack. Quote. This meant to le May that the United States would have to have an air force in being that could immediately move immediately to retaliate if the country was attacked. The preparation for retaliation, the thread of it might be sufficient to prevent attack in the first place. If we are prepared, it may never come. It is not immediately conceivable that any nation will dare to attack us if we are prepared. So in November of nineteen forty five, l May was already thinking in terms of what came to be called deterrence. But therein lay the contradiction. If no air attack could be completely stopped, then retaliation would not protect the country, It would only destroy the enemy's country in turn. Right, And what he means by an air force in being is you always have planes loaded with active nuclear bombs ready to fly minutes away from flight. And it's eventually going to mean you always have planes in the air with nukes. And that's going to mean for a period of like a couple decades, there are never not nukes flying around in the air always. And this is before there's no governor on these. This is not a thing today. Every nuke that we have you have to get like codes and shit from the nuclear football. This is some guys in a plane have the ability to activate these things.
Speaker 3: Right, You're like, oh, my wife left me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Like it's fucking remarkable. We lived through the Cold War. Yeah yeah, so yeah. What we see in this period as early as nineteen forty five as men in the military establishment expressing a sense of interest in minimizing the harms of and knowledge about nuclear war to civilians. People were tired after World War Two, soldiers long deployed wanted to return to civilian life. The country desperately needed to stop paying for the costs of a wartime military. Yet now that the Cold War was kicking up, the US found itself simultaneously pressed with all kinds of new commitments. Nuclear weapons offered a solution to what seemed like an impossible problem. I'm gonna quote from Rhodes again. In the four years that the United States held a monopoly on nuclear weapons, it reduced its mild terry forces to bare bones, shrank the defense budget from its wartime high of nearly ninety billion dollars to less than fifteen billion dollars, and counted on a small but growing nuclear arsenal to deter as Soviet march to the Atlantic across a war ravaged Western Europe right. And this is kind of the first use that we have for nukes after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which is, we can't keep all these soldiers in the field, but we're now responsible for guarding Western Europe from the scary communists. So let's just keep a bunch of nukes all over the place. That way, we don't need as many guys. We can just set off a shitload of nukes and we can slow these these Russians down while we get our shit in gear, you know. And this works as a deterrent strategy when the Soviets don't have a bomb, right, because they don't have anything to counter this with. Hap Arnold sent a letter in nineteen forty five laying out he's an air force general laying out some of the first principles. While the air force doesn't exist yet, he's an army air thing general laying out some of the first principles for what would become the theory of deterrence. Quote. We must thereforece it cure our nation by developing and maintaining those weapons, forces, and techniques required to pose a warning to aggressors in order to deter them from launching. A modern devastating war. In order to ensure this happened, Arnold ordered studies into the scientific projects the Air Force should support over the next twenty to thirty years. This resulted in nineteen forty six and the Air Force setting up the RAND Corporation. You've heard of the RAND Corporation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did not know that they were Air Force.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's how they start. And RAND just means R and D like literally, that's why it's brand. Right.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, Okay, I assume to someone's name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the RAND Corporation that They're set up in Santa Monica, right on the coast, beautiful area, and a former defense engineer named James Rubell later wrote of this is the first RAND project. Rand quickly proposed a death ray project, which the Air Force approved. So top man, guys, everyone's super sane. Not a bunch of dudes whose brains have been melted by lead and war trauma just trying to come up with apocalypse weapons. I don't know, guys, death ray feels like a good idea. Let's get one of those fuckers. I watched War of the World's to hell with it now, And to be honest, if we've made a death ray. That would be pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, would it be a second amendment? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would be carrying one this exact moment, Margaret. Yeah, I'm ready for a death ray. I think I think certain people should know it.
Speaker 3: Death ray is a one on one It's not really a major step up from bullets, you know.
Speaker 2: No, it's probably faster and less painless to get shot with. Yeah, you know, and I bet it's I don't know, good at killing martians, which we might need to do if Elon Musk ever sets up a colony on Mars anyway.
Speaker 3: So I think we're both pro death rays.
Speaker 2: I actually I've come around on the Rand Corporation, Margaret, I'm gonna be honest with you. Yeah, speaking of the Rand Corporation, you know who supports this podcast. Not the Rand Corporation, because we're primarily talking about how they nearly killed everyone like a million times.
Speaker 3: It's the we're sponsored by Death Ray International. That's why we were coming out so strong on deathrays right now.
Speaker 2: That's right. And actually, our the company, the death ray company that sponsors us, is called life Ray, you know, because it'll it's it's a it's a it's a death Ray for personal defense. You know, yeah, keep say lives, It saves lives. That's that's the life Ray. And we're back having a good time. So right around the time the Rand Corporation gets formed, you know, because the war is over, because the normal normal life is starting to reassert itself, for at least the new normal, some people have begun to question the logic with which men like bomber Harris Curtis LeMay in General Power. I still can't believe his literal name was General fucking Power approached a real warfare. Was it really possible to break in? Yeah? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it really possible to break a nation's will through bombing? Right? This was a question that people. You know, there are guys like LeMay that like, obviously it is, look at what we did, And there are more thoughtful men who are like, actually, the evidence doesn't really bear this out. And I want to read a quote here about members of the Strategic Bombing Survey from Kinney's book Fifteen Minutes, How did one measure a broken will? Far more effective were strikes against petroleum refineries, airport factories, and power plants, the loss of which ravaged the Germans war, making capabilities and destroyed their economy. This led to post war air atomic planning that emphasized Soviet industry as targets for nuclear strike, key targets that, if destroyed, would have a large and effect far larger than the facility's mere destruction. These plants were often located in major urban areas, said one Air Force general of this conundrum. I think it was sort of a shock to people when a few began to talk about the bonus effects and industrial capital, and particularly when they began to ask, what was a city but a collection of industry and that's an important Yeah, it's hideous.
Speaker 3: Fuck do they live? It must be these are suburbanites. This is because suburbanites have entered the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and are out running the army share.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that term bonus effects is used a lot in nuclear war planning, and a bonus effect is the added destruction that you get while destroying the targets you're actually aiming at. In atomic war, so.
Speaker 3: You're trying to take out of collateral damage. But it's the same concept, but.
Speaker 2: It's collateral damage but good, right, Like, yeah, we needed to take out this tank factory and we killed a million civilians at the same time. That's a bonus effect, baby, right, Yeah, And there's other bonus effects. Radiation, poisoning causes bonus effects. Nuclear bombs, especially once we start making thermonuclear weapons, they cause fire storms, massive firestorms, some theoretically some like the size of states, right, And that's a bonus effect, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, as they've been trying to do that since the beginning, based on what you've told me last week.
Speaker 2: And they have been you know, a firestorm really fucks people up. People don't like firestorms.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: The argument military leaders were making about the future for the first four years after World War Two can best be summarized by a memo General Loris Norstad, Assistant Chief Staff for the Army Air Forces, sent out in nineteen forty five. He laid out the need for a ready force of aircraft that could strike quickly and effectively anywhere in the world. In a memo to the House of Representatives, he argued the existence of this ready force would act as a deterrent to any countries looking to acquire nuclear weapons. So first, we need a ready force so that no one else will get nukes. If we always have planes ready to nuke people, no one else will even try to get them, right, this is this is their first argument, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not as strong as the argument that I think this coming based on what you told me last week.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah. Now, this Ready Force is established in March of nineteen forty six as part of what becomes known as the Strategic Air Command. The ESSAC is responsible not just for nukes, but for the Air force's long range bombing operations. Right when we're bombing Korea, when we're bombing Vietnam, the SACS, especially in Korea, going to be heavily involved. And they're not obviously using nukes in those wars, but they come to control a lot of our nukes, and they come to control our long range missile assets. I say control. Technically all of our nuclear weapons at this point are in the custody of the Atomic Energy Commission, right, and they maintain direct control over the nuclear weapons that we're starting to build in the post war period.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: But what you're going to see happen during these first four or five years after the war is we're increasingly deploying nuclear weapons around the world to have this this air force in readiness, right, this ready Force, and so Basically, they're kind of cashiering these nukes out and SAC is maintaining control of them. Right, but you know, the SAC gets them from the Atomic Energy Commission and the.
Speaker 3: SC surprise that none of them got stolen.
Speaker 2: Oh they oh, Margaret, just wait, none of them got stolen. Maybe, but we lose a lot of these fucking bombs, okadh huh, We'll get to that. But the SAC today. One of the things that scares me about our current nuclear force is that it is the shittiest job in the Air Force, maybe in the whole military. People will argue about this, but I've talked to a couple of nukes and they did not like it. It is not a prestigious job. It is not a fun job. It is boring that people cheat on tests constantly. There's stories about guys in nuclear silos doing fucking ecstasy, you know, because it's a shit job. In this period of time, it is not seen as a shit job. These are seen as this is the best part of the military to be in. This is the most elite force in the military. It's certainly the best thing to be if you're any kind of pilot, right, and these are the best pilots and engineers that our entire military can put together, right, and they're tasked with a singular purpose, so it's different. At this point, that is probably what you want. Now, that's the idea. It's debatable are they ever really that good? We'll talk about that. Curtis LeMay takes command of the SAC in nineteen forty eight. He's not the first guy in charge of it, but he takes command and he really he forms it in a meaningful way. The next year, nineteen forty nine, the USSR detonates its first nuclear warhead, terrifying members of the US defense establishment. There had been a lot of guys, anyone who was smart and well, of course, like Soviet Union's got a good science program. They have resources, They've got spies, are gonna get a bomb, right, they have the ability to get uranium or platonia, all this whatever shit they need. It's it's there's like a fifth of the world's land masks. They have the ability to do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we invented the wheel. No one else has the wheel. No one figure out the wheel.
Speaker 2: They figured out machine guns too, goddamn it. No, of course they were going to do this, but there were, and it's a mix. There were plenty of people. Obviously, there were a number of people in our military who knew that this was going to happen at some point. But there are a lot of people who are shocked, right and are terrifying, like, oh my god, I can't believe the Communists figured out this bomb? Right?
Speaker 3: Is this because that like spy couple or is that.
Speaker 2: They there are several spies who play a role, And honestly, I think that that probably did more to stop nuclear weapons from being used again in war than anything else. I think once the US has them, if the Soviets didn't ever acquire them, we probably would have wound up nuking the USSR at some point. Right, Yeah, that seems very like that's unprovable, but that that's kind of where I come in, right, Like, well, it's kind of the gun. It's the gun thing. Do I wish like there were no semi automatic and automatic assault rifles at all in the country? That would probably be more pleasant? Am I not gonna have one? When the crazy ass motherfuckers I know have them?
Speaker 3: Like, ah, the people who want to kill me have it? Ye have read enough history to know what happens after you disarm.
Speaker 2: And here's the problem. That's there's a logic to that, and also that leads us both to having four hundred million guns and having tens of thousands of nukes.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So it's like, I understand the thought process, but it might fundamentally be what's doomed? What will do us?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So there's a degree to which, like I have to put myself in the in where these guys are. And keep in mind, this is not a period of time in which all of our generals are most or many of them are dudes who just came up and have done this as like a desk job. Right. All of these Curtis LeMay saw heavy aerial combat. All of these guys did, right. So these dudes are fucked up and crazy at this point. These people live incinerated cities from the sky. They're not thinking the way normal people think anymore. Yeah, and the same is true of the Soviets. By the way, they lost twenty million people in this war. The Soviets were not getting into it because I have less detail on it, but they are making mirror decisions generally to the US, right, sometimes a little less crazy, sometimes a little crazier, but they're also have all been completely deranged by this hideous war, Right, so I do have a little bit of like, well, fuck, how could this not have gone bad? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So for quite a while after the Soviets detonate their first Adam Baum, the US will retain a massive advantage in the number of nuclear weapons, right, That will not last forever. Eventually we reach parity. I think they do actually beat us at one point in total number of news. So it's a little hard to know. But from this point forward there was no denying that nuclear deterrence would eventually be a thing, right, And so you wind up in this there's the nineteen like fifty to like fifty two to fifty three. Is this insanely dangerous, dangerous period really up until like the early sixties, where the Soviets have some nukes but not all that many, and the US has a lot, and we could have started and won a nuclear war. It would have been really pretty easy for US. Right. There would have been casualties and tens of millions of deaths, but they would have mostly been over in Europe, right, because the Soviet Union just didn't have a lot of bombs. And they didn't have the ability to get a lot of bombs over here. There's no ycbms. You're flying fucking bombers, right, so we would have lost Alaska maybe, right, Like their long range bombing capacity, especially in like nineteen forty nine to fifty is it probably could have accomplished that, but it wasn't great. Right. In nineteen fifty, a year after the first Russian nuclear test, the United States had nearly three hundred nuclear weapons, The USSR had five. The newly founded Joint Chiefs of Staff and the US Department of Defense, which that'll get started in this post war period, right, we don't have the Joint Chiefs or like you know in World War two. Right, this is a post war innovation, you know, if you want to call it that. But the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the DoD had concluded, after a study that some two hundred nuclear bombs would be sufficient to depopulate most of the Earth, quote, leaving only the stigial remnants of man's material works, that is, the Joint Chiefs. They say two hundred nukes will do that, and so we build three hundred. Yeah, cool, Well we'll get a lot more. By nineteen fifty one will have more than four hundred such weapons.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, in its first three years as a nuclear power, the USSR goes from one to fifty atomic weapons of varying power. Shortly after taking over the ESSAC, LeMay decided that the new post war air force had gotten sloppy, and he ordered a fake combat mission against Dayton, Ohio to prove it a massive bomber. I love that. He's like, well, let's have them pretend to blow up Dayton. See how good the Ohio Yeah, fuck it. So he has this massive raid over the city. That's like, it's a fake. They're not dropping real bombs obviously, but all of the fake bombs are horribly off target. Like every they fuck up really badly. The supposedly elite force cannot drop bombs to save their goddamn lives. Right, This is probably less on training. I mean there's some degree of training. It's more than just like, bombers aren't great at hitting things precisely at this point. Yeah, yeah, And nukes.
Speaker 3: Are not TV guided I remembering that TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not quite yet. And it's the kind of thing, you know, one of the benefits of nukes. It's horrible to say this, but it is a benefit from a military standpoint is that you don't have to be very accurate because it's a fucking nuke, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but people say the shotguns but real.
Speaker 2: Right, But but accurate, yes, accurate, Like you really can be pretty far off with the nuke, can still hit your target. But these guys do so badly that even with nukes, they would not have destroyed most of their intended targets. This is not an effective raid, and the May calls this fake attempt to destroy Dayton quote the darkest night in American military aviation history, because not one airplane finished. That mission is briefed and like, man, you were part of raids where guys die, I think that's darker, like where guides died and the mission wasn't really that successful. I think that's worse than a raid where fake bombs just don't hit very well. I don't know, babies, like, yeah, that might be darker, horotia monig oh, it might be darker. Arguably. Yeah, Now this means that when the Korean War kind of starts up, it's gonna be not quite the last point. Some people will argue that, like, you know, there's this some shit in the JFK's early administration, like Berlin. There's some shit in during the Eisenhower administration in Taiwan where we probably could have used nuclear weapons without total planetary annihilation or getting nuked into the Stone Age ourselves. Right, But the Korean War is the last major armed conflict where the US could have used nuclear weapons on a tactical level and known the risks were minimal that things would have like spiraled into globally annihilation at least at that point. Right, And given that fact, given that we could have nuked North Korea and even China and guys wanted to, it's kind of a miracle that we didn't. It's like shocking to me when I get into the history that like we that it didn't happen, right, Yeah, And going into the war, some powerful men in the Defense Department argued for just that action. Curtis LeMay was the most prominent of a cadre of officers who considered our nuclear arsenal, the term they used for it, was a wasting asset in other words, because we know the Soviets are starting to build up a nuclear arsenal and starting to get long range bombers and the other things they need to be able to strike us. Every day we don't use our nukes, they become less effective. Basically, he's saying, we got to use him or lose him. Right. If we don't use them now, we'll never be able to use them, right, right.
Speaker 3: And if you're playing the world like a video game, this is true. Right. If I'm a video game general, I would I will.
Speaker 2: Start nuking immediately, which I do in any video game that gives me a nuke, right yeah, yeah, uh yeah, which is why gamers should not be allowed in the Department of Defense. No oops, turns out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, under strict control by non gamers. Right.
Speaker 2: So, at the start of hostilities in Korea, strategic bombing advocates encouraged a campaign against a handful of significant strategic targets in North Korea, and they succeeded in these bombing raids on paper, right, the sac destroys the targets assigned to them. But North Korea, if you know much about North Korea then and now, they didn't have a lot of exposure. There wasn't a lot that we could really do to fuck them up that bad by bombing them, right, like we do some damage, but that's just kind of not how their military is wired at this point in time. And to make matters worse for the United States, we start this war using very new high tech guided bombs like the Asma one Tarzan, but those run out immediately, which is a thing in modern warfare too. If you look at what's happened in Ukraine, right, like, you have these incredible munitions that are capable of really impressive things, but also it's really hard to make them, and you instead of them all and it turns out you go through that shit real fast in a war. So, as I said, Curtis LeMay had taken over control of the SAC in nineteen forty eight and he was the architect of the bombing campaign against North Korea. He interpreted the fact that we had run through all of our most advanced munitions without ending the war as another l for team precision bombing. Basically, LeMay is like, well, look, clearly, just striking strategic targets doesn't work, so he orders US bombers to start playing the classics. Colonel Rossioni, in that article that he wrote, describes SAC's plan as to quote increase the level of pain in North Korea by bombing civilian targets. LeMay and the sac used US air power to kill around two million North Korean citizens over the next two years. In change.
Speaker 3: Jesus fuck, I straight up didn't know that. I know so little about the Korean War.
Speaker 2: It's a between a fifth and a sixth of the population of North Korea we kill through primarily aerial bombing.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But it's also still a hideous war crime, like we murder two million people and it doesn't win. Like again, Yeah, the thing that keeps happening, that has always happened every time someone like LeMay is like, well, we just got to cause them enough pain that their morale breaks. And what happens is their morale doesn't break, right, and.
Speaker 3: They're always like forever and ever. I've been just in a bunch of stuff about people defending against the Roman Empire and Gaul and things like that, right, and you start saying like, oh, well, these people, like these people, you know, the horrible druids, they sacrifice children or whatever, right, and who wasn't, Like, I don't one who wasn't. Yeah, And even if they were, you know how many you know, how many children you'd have to sacrifice to get anywhere near the evil of what Rome did in terms of killing them.
Speaker 2: Julius Caesar does a genocide in Gaul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so like communism is whatever.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing as the people who are like, well, the conquista or stopped the child sacrifice and the American children. You think the Spanish Inquisition didn't involve any fucking kids dying?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, okay, Brotally, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm not saying I'm not saying any of these any society, any organized empire anywhere in the Americans or elsewhere, has been a nice empire. None of them are. But if you're just being like, well, look at the bad things they did, uh huh, what were you guys getting up to?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is that justify you killing two million people? Yeah? Yeah, come on, bro, Was North Korea so bad that they all just need to die?
Speaker 2: It's it's the same thing as like, we'll look at all these fucked up things, and plenty of fucked up things the Soviet ni and the People's Republic of China did a lot of, but like we murder millions of people from the sky repeatedly all over like the world yeah, so you know, I don't know. Don't don't get up your own ass about your side being particularly nice. Angels, right, the angels as you incinerate cities, villages largely. But yeah, once again, though this is really important. Actual war disproves all of the foundational assumptions of our military leadership. First off, North Korea invades despite the fact that the US has troops in South Korea and we have an overwhelming edge and strategic bombing per the theories that LeMay and do Hey both espoused, if you have a good enough strategic bombing force, you won't get attacked. Right, that's the point. It just doesn't work. It's never true. That Also are the fact we have air superiority, but it doesn't stop North Korea from fighting effectively, and none of the bombing we do it doesn't shatter civilian morale. In fact, a strong argument could be made that the Korean War goes as badly as it does because guys like LeMay had gotten their way in the interwar period. As I noted earlier, we really cut back on the military after World War Two, and in fact, all military development outside of making the SAC stronger took a back seat. And as a result, when North Korea invades, the US troops stationed in South Korea are not well prepared. Their weapons are barely maintained. I've talked to my grandpa about because he was there the whole war, and he was like, yeah, we were in shit shape when the war started, and it was because they had let like we had, like fucking our bazukas wouldn't fire and shit like we had, Like there were serious issues with like the maintenance of basic equipment because guys like the LeMay were like, all we need are bombers, bro, trust ye, all we need o bombers, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whereas they actually needed the life ray.
Speaker 2: Right, we needed the life A couple of life rays would have really solved this w old problem. They wouldn't have even tried if we had a life ray. That's what I'm saying now. After North Korea invades, they pushed the small US garrison and the South Korean forces down the peninsula until General Douglas MacArthur, at the head of a un amphibious landing force, came aground at Incheon and pushed the North Koreans back almost to the border with China. Then China enters the war with a shitload of dudes, and suddenly the un forced are in full retreat and they get pushed backs. It's really it's a it doesn't not enough study of not enough people. Americans know anything about the Korean War, but it's a fucking wild ass time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know so little about it. It's World War two and then Vietnam. That's what I know, right, it's a little.
Speaker 2: It's it's in Korea is kind of halfway between World War Two and Vietnam in terms of like fighting tactics and all that stuff. You know, you do have a lot of these big armored clashes, you have dog fights and stuff, but you also have more advanced these you know, you have these guided missiles and stuff right early ones. So Douglas MacArthur, as he's getting the shit hammered out of him, requests ten atomic bombers with live nukes be put on standby in Guam, right, because he wants to have the option to use them if in an emergency situation. Right, Uh huh. Truman says yes to this. MacArthur also wants these planes in their nukes placed under his direct control. And this is a weird moment where Curtis LeMay may have saved a lot of people's lives, and I don't think it's for a good reason. But he steps in and he sent begs Truman to say no and keep the bomb under SAC. He wants the bombs to stay with the SAC right, he wants to have control over them. But I do think he is less I don't think he would have I don't think he certainly was not unwilling to nuke North Korea, but he was less interested in doing it than MacArthur. Right, he was not convinced it was the only path forward, and MacArthur was really convinced it was the only way to win right now for decades because the fact that we sent nukes to Guam during the Korean War has been well known. But if you look up any histories that are like older prior to the twenty first century, it will say the SAC sent nine planes and nine atomic bombs to Guam. We now know that this was inaccurate, and I'm going to quote from the book fifteen Minutes here. The first nine departures for Guam were uneventful, but as the last B twenty nine accelerated down the runway. Two propellers ran away as the bomber lifted off, forcing the pilot to shut down two engines, and what would later be described as heroic flying, the pilot somehow pulled the fuel laden bomb ladd bomber into the air and managed to turn back towards the runway, but as he did, he lost altitude and the bombers simply went into the ground. The crash was not hard, reported an aid to General le May, but twelve men were dead and eight were trapped in the burning wreckage, which came to rest at the edge of a trailer park that housed military families. That's a nuke. We blow up a nuke next to base housing. And that's why everyone just knew that we sent nine planes, because they just pretend this doesn't happen. They lie about they cover this the fuck up, right, So this is like this is drop safe. Nukes are drop safe. Kind of The good news is that because of how nukes work, they don't detonate on accident. They have to be set up for. In order to get the big, the explosion that we all recognize as a nuclear blast, you have to set off a nuke in a specific way. The bad news is that even if it's not set off in the way that causes a traditional atomic blast, you're still talking about five thousand pounds of conventional explosives in the bomb and a bunch of radioactive material. So it can still make from what I've seen, because this happens a few times. It doesn't always make a dirty bomb, but it can. You can get radiation contamination when one of these things explodes in a plane crash, right. That does happen sometimes. I don't actually know if it does in this case because of how much was covered up. I can't tell you if any of these fucking civilians and the base house got radsick. But the blast of this nuke not going off as a nuke is felt thirty miles away. It kills seven rescue personnel, and it injures one hundred and eighty one civilians. The Air Force immediately lies and says, oh, that was just loaded with normal bombs. It was a training mission, sorry, guys, not a nuke though. Don't worry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unlike the nine planes next to it.
Speaker 2: Right. It was forty four years before the fact that a fucking nuke exploded was declassified and Margaret that's not close to the only nuke we lost. This is the thing I did not know. We fucking lose so many nukes, it's crazy. On November tenth of nineteen fifty, an essays bomber encountered engine trouble and it had to drop an Mk four atom bomb set to self destruct, one hundred miles outside of Quebec. And here's the wild part. That was the fifth nuclear bomb lost by the SAC from the end of World War two to November of nineteen fifty five lost nukes in five years.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And that counts as a success because we self destruct the nuke, so it doesn't just land. Right. We'll get to that. Back to the Korean War, because this is all going right. As this is all going on, you know, MacArthur grows increasingly bullish on tactical nuclear warfare as the situation in Korea grows more dire. He develops a plan that would have involved dropping between thirty and fifty tactical atom bombs on enemy air bases and depots, and then he would have followed up by a massive invasion of Taiwanese troops backed by two marine divisions. Enemy reinforcements from China were to be blocked. This army that he's going to have basically cut Korea off from China. They're going to lay a belt of radioactive cobalt behind them in order to make it impossible for Chinese forces to cross into Korea for generations. That was the plan, is to radiate the entire border alongside nuking a bunch of people.
Speaker 3: That's like salty in the earth behind you. But another level.
Speaker 2: I cannot exaggerate how fucking insane Douglas MacArthur is at this point, Like he is completely dangerously unhinged, one of the craziest men to ever command a US military force. Truman refused this insane plan, thank fucking god, and as a result, MacArthur criticized the president publicly, which led to him being removed from command. The Korean War ended with a shitload of dead people and without a real peace, but also without additional nuclear explosions. So you know, that's good. It could have been worse, I guess, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You know, so civilian control of government is better than the military.
Speaker 2: Yeah, government, Yeah, because again, these people lose their fucking minds, and MacArthur, like Curtis LeMay is a voice of reason here. That's how crazy MacArthur is. Not much of a voice of reason, but a little bit of one, because MacArthur is batshit crazy.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: At the start of the Korean War, the US moved almost ninety nuclear weapons into Europe how to fears that a wider Communist invasion of the West was imminent. Now, the Soviet arsenal's really small at this stage, and again there's no ICBMs. Bombers still aren't super good, so time is not as much of a factor. Right, We don't have to have these things ready to detonate at five minutes notice, right, And so for safety's sake, again, this is one of these the Atomic Energy Commission kind of comes in and is, like Wilson, the bombs over, but not the nuclear material. We will keep the nuclear cores in the US so that we can airlift them over to Europe on a moment's notice.
Speaker 3: But because they're smaller than the bombs themselves.
Speaker 2: Right, right, And it's safer than just having a live nuke where someone could deal it set it off. Right.
Speaker 3: You store the AMMO and the gun in a different place, and there's children around.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is The moments like this of just minimal sanity are so rare in the nuke story that it's just like a breath of fresh air, like, oh, somebody who wasn't completely out of their goddamn mind, but you know who is out of their goddamn mind, Margaret, Is.
Speaker 3: It our sponsor Life Ray?
Speaker 2: That's right, Life Ray. Because it turns out Life ray is incredibly radioactive. They will fry your brain. Even being in the same state as one is very dangerous by one today, I think it's worth it, uh huh for safety. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and we're back. So at this point, the Atomic Energy Commission maintained custody of our nuclear weapons when they were not actively in use. The DoD never likes this, and they use the opportunity to argue that the military should have direct control over our nuclear arsenal. Eventually, Truman agreed to give Strategic Air Command custody of these weapons in Gwam. Right, this is kind of the first time that the military gets direct custody for a long period of time. Is in Guam. During the Korean War in nineteen fifty one, the US had increased its stockpile of nuclear weapons from two hundred ninety nine to four hundred and thirty eight, twice the number of the Joint Chiefs of Staff had been told in an internal report, could destroy civilization. As I noted, the USSR has around fifty bombs. Their stockpile will go rapidly after this point. But to deal with the fact that the gap is starting to close, we start working on a bigger bomb.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: It's first known by its nickname the super and this is the first thermonuclear bomb, aka the hydrogen bomb. And as a brief aside, most post apocalyptic post atomic apocalypse movies and fictions imagine a bunch of bombs, kind of like the Horotima bomb going off. That's what Fallout does, really because like you look at DC in Fallout, what is it three or four? I forget what DC is an.
Speaker 3: I've played some of them, but I don't remember them.
Speaker 2: If you look at DC and like a lot most of the buildings are still relatively intact, right, that doesn't happen if you drop a thermonuclear bomb. Annie Jacobson goes over, like like if one of the standard hydrogen bombs were dropped on DC, like and these are actively aimed at DC at all times. Right, the Russians always have some aim at DC, you know, just like we've got shit aimed at Moscow. I'm not blaming them, Yeah, like we're both doing this crazy shit. Everyone within a mile of the blast dies immediately. Everyone within two or three miles of the blast is incinerated over the course of a few seconds. Right, You're talking millions of deaths in the space of a minute or two. Like, yeah, these these are not survivable. Everything is there's no buildings left, everything is combusted. You'ar like, like the power of these bombs cannot be exaggerated. These are not survivable. There is not an after thermonuclear war.
Speaker 3: Is it a different It's like a fundamentally different technology.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a it's the craziest thing you can imagine. Hydrogen bombs, hydrogen weapons, right, Like thermonuclear weapons work on the premise, what if you set off a nuke with a nuke? Right, here's Andy Jacobson describing how these work. The super's monstrous explosive power comes as the result of an uncontrolled, self sustaining chain reaction which hydrogen isotopes fuse under extremely high temperatures in a process called nuclear fusion. An atomic bomb will kill tens of thousands of people, as did the ones dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. A thermonuclear bomb, if detonated in a city like New York or Soul, will kill millions of people in a superheated flash. These are so I think.
Speaker 3: It's fission versus fusion maybe or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's basically what's going on here. But you're setting instead of using conventional explosives to start the nuclear reaction, you're using a nuke to set off a nuke basically, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, dog, uh huh.
Speaker 2: It's just the craziest thing. The prototype thermonuclear weapon was designed by a guy named Richard Garvin and had a ten point four megaton explosive capacity, made it equivalent to a thousand Hiroshima bombs.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Or an idea of what that's the first one of these we make? Right, these things when we start detonating them, we'll talk about it. But like we repeatedly horribly irradiate and like permanently injure huge numbers of US troops because we don't get nearly far away enough, Because we don't realize how big they're going to be. Like one of these is like fifty percent larger than we'd expected it to be. Enrico Fermi, Garwin's mentor and a Manhattan Project scientist, actually sent a letter to President Truman begging him not to go through with testing the first hydrogen bomb. Quote. The fact that no limits exist to the destructiveness of this weapon makes its very existence and the knowledge of its construction a danger to humanity as a whole. It is necessarily an evil thing considered in any light. Don't build the torment nexus.
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, but what if a torment nexus is built by the torment nexus? Right?
Speaker 2: Right, right?
Speaker 3: But Garvin wants to solve this fun problem. I love that They're like, we built the altar weapon. It can kill God, and people are like, not enough.
Speaker 2: Not enough. What if we use one of those to make a bigger one of those. Truman ignores this letter from Fermi. The first thermonuclear bomb was detonated in the Marshall Islands in November of nineteen fifty two. It left behind a crater large enough to hold fifteen pentagons. In her book, Annie Jacobson relies on a before and after image of the Marshall Islands to show the destructive power of this device. Sophie is going to put it up. But you can see the bomb was detonated on an island called Illuge Lab. And you see the before there's a Luge Lab, it's an island, and then in the after there's just no island.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just a black spot on the mappen.
Speaker 2: It's gone. The island is gone. Yeah, year or two ago, James Stout over it. It could happen here, went to the Marshall Islands to report on I mean, there's still ongoing fallout, both in the literal and figurative sense for the people of the Marshall Islands because of how many fucking nukes we set off there. Right, Like, there's tremendous suffering in the Marshall Islands. We are not doing this onquote unquote, I mean they're to this extent that they're uninhabitants because we forced people off, right Like, this is a crime against humanity. Our testing of thermonuclear weapons in the Marshall Islands is a crime against humanity. You can check out James Stout's reporting on it if you want more on that. After this series right, I'm not going to be getting into it because he did that series. But no, I can see that. Yeah, yeah, you can see just in the picture how catastrophic these weapons are.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the immediate wake of the IVY mic test, President Truman gave his farewell address. He mourned that quote, the war of the future would be one in which man could extinguish millions of lives at one blow, demolish the great cities of the world, wipe out the cultural achievements of the past. Such a war is not a possible policy for rational men. Now that's not wrong. But you're one of the irrational men who made this possible. Like you're wearing the banana suit here, Truman, Like, come on, man, you gave the call to use the first of these fucking things. Yeah. Jacobsen goes into more detail about how military planners respond despite what Truman says to the existence now of thermonuclear weapons. Quote, what happened after US war planners saw what ten point four megatons could instantly destroy simply boggles the mind. What came next was a mad, mad rush to stockpile thermonuclear weapons, first by the hundreds and then by the thousands. In nineteen fifty two, the United States had eight hundred and forty one nuclear weapons. A year before Truman left office. In nineteen fifty one, a group of scientists and researchers that included doctor Robert Oppenheimer launched Project Vista. This was a study to analyze if there was any room for improvement in NATO's strategy for responding to a Soviet invasion. They concluded that having the SAC be in charge of basically everything through their one strategy of nuking everybody was a bad idea. Instead, who yeah, here's the problem. They conclude that instead NATO should replace manpower with low yield, tactical nuclear weapons that would evaporated vance Soviet forces and that could be deployed by battlefield commanders on the ground. Now, there's a degree to which they're trying to do a kind of noble thing here, Right. The stated goal here is bring the battle back to the battlefield. If we're using nukes on soldiers but not nuking cities, maybe we don't consume every city in Europe with atomic hell fire. Right, That's what Project Vista's kind of trying to argue for, and their conclusions are supported by the US Army, not because the Army is a particularly benevolent force, but because it reduces the influence of the SAC. Right, the SAC has the nukes. Now the army wants some nukes of its own. Right, right, A. Schlosser writes in the book Command and Control, as would be expected, Curtis LeMay hated the idea of low yield tactical weapons. In his view, they were a waste of physile material, unlikely to prove decisive in battle, and difficult to keep under centralized control. The only way to win a nuclear war, according to SAC, was to strike first and strike hard. Successful offense brings victory. Successful defense can now no only lesson defeat, LeMay told his commanders. Moreover, an atomic blitz aimed at Soviet cities was no longer the SAC's top priority. La May now thought it would be far more important to destroy the Soviet Union's capability to use its nuclear weapons. Soviet airfields, bombers, command centers, and nuclear facilities became SAC's primary targets. Lamay did not make sense. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's not completely off base here. LeMay did not advocate preventative war. An American surprise attack on the Soviet Union out of a blue, but the counter force strategy he endorsed was a form of preemptive war, sac planned to attack the moment the Soviets seemed to be readying their own nuclear forces. Civilian casualties, though unavoidable, were no longer the goal. Offensive airpower must now be aimed at preventing the launching of weapons of mass destruction against the United States or its allies. LeMay argued. This transcends all other considerations because the price of failure might be paid with national survival.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: This is the origin of what becomes launch on warn. Right, So you don't wait to get a bloody no, you don't wait for them to hit you. You wait until you're pretty sure they're about to hit you, and you hit them. That's a really dangerous evolution strategically, right. You can understand Kina how he gets there, but that that ups the possibility of a nuclear war significantly once you're now saying we won't wait to get hit. Right.
Speaker 3: It's so interesting too, because it's it's all predicated on this idea that national survival.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: He's very concerned about national survival, like I'm much more concerned about humanity is survival. Not even because I'm a humanitarian, people think, but because I'm a human right, like all, if you destroy all life on earth, the nation's gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's well, And that's that's part of the craziness. Like the understated crazin in that paragraph is that LeMay thinks tactical nukes are a waste of physile material. Broyeh, you have four times as many nukes by nineteen fifty one as it would take to end civilization and just your country. What's wasted? Bro, You're gonna have enough of these fuckers.
Speaker 3: That's by before they made them, the god killing machine that kills by God.
Speaker 2: Right, we need considerably less once hydrogen bombs are in the fucking yes now. One of President Dwight D. Eisenhower's first concerns when he took office would be to bring a resolution to this conflict, right, this conflict between the Army and the Air Force via the SAC Right. After having his National security team take a new look at US defense policies, Iike decided both sides were right. The US needed tactical nuclear weapons on the ground in Europe, but we also needed an arsenal of thermonuclear weapons that could bomb the Soviets at a moment's notice. After all, in late nineteen fifty three, the USSR detonated its first thermo nuclear device. By nineteen fifty four, the United States had more than seventeen hundred nuclear weapons. By nineteen fifty five, that number had climbed to nearly twenty five hundred. We were building roughly two bombs a day. By nineteen fifty nine, the United States had an arsenal of more than twelve thousand nuclear weapons, and we were manufacturing more than five per day, including three different families of thermonuclear warheads. You see just how quickly like there's not any conceivable use for twelve thousand nuclear warheads. Everyone's dead after the first thousand, at least, you know, maybe less right Like surprisingly, it was under Eisenhower that the army suffered its most significant budget cutbacks, losing a fourth of its manpower. This has kind of been forgotten, but Ike does you know, people are generally aware of like the military industrial complex speech. But at the start of his presidency, Ike really prunes the military budget and actually causes like kind of an eruption of anger within the military at him, at General Eisenhower, because he's cutting back so much. The Army, in order to deal with this loss of ban power, starts lobbying for more nukes of its own, because that's the only thing you can get funded for now, right, that's all they're giving out. You know. General James R. Gavin, during secret testimony before Congress laid out the number of atomic shells, anti aircraft missiles, and land mines the Army needed. These are all nuclear artillery, nuclear anti aircraft missiles, and nuclear land mines.
Speaker 3: Nuclear landmine's a great plan. I can't come up with negative sounds good sounds safe. Yeah, what's crazy is how many Gavin wanted. One hundred and six thousand for battlefield use, twenty five thousand for air defense, and twenty thousand to hand out to the rest of NATO. Jesus Christ, bro, these people aren't so crazy.
Speaker 2: And I will say there is some Maybe the only arguably ethical weapons that we're building at this point are the air defense nuclear weapons, because the plan of this is if you have a huge bomber fleet coming in, the only way you can stop them maybe and ensure that none of them drop a nuke on a city, is you nuke them in the air, because nuke's fuck up planes really bad. And that's actually kind of reasonable if there's this many of these things like he's shooting also is only going to kill soldiers, right, I mean the fallout and write there will be consequences to that too, But it's a defensible position as compared to everything else that they're doing, right, Like, I can see how you might want to be able to just like try to blow up five hundred planes in the air with a big nuke, right, that kind of makes sense. Like this is all crazy, but I get it.
Speaker 3: You know what, It's so interesting because I'm under the impression of our current system, is that like shooting a bullet with a bullet approach?
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, yep.
Speaker 3: Did we move away from skeet shooting?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: We definitely have moved away from nuclear anti aircraft artillery. We have the ability to use that. But also we've gotten a lot better and so have our quote unquote adversaries at making planes that are hardened, you know, from EMP and the like. It's I don't think it's as much. There's just not much point in defenses. The other reason is that, like sure, you could stop some bombers, but it's the ICBMs that are going to kill everybody and the sub launched nukes. And you can kind of again, we have these things called like fad batteries that could be if we actually had any place in the US, could be useful against like a sub attack. Right. You could actually stop a good number of sub based nuclear weapons, right with these batteries, but they're all deployed overseas, protecting like Israel and the like. Right, we don't have any One of the scenarios Jacobsen talks about is like a North Korean sub nuking this huge like nuclear power plant on the coast of California, which would cause this app titanic environmental catastrophe. And she points out, like there are plans for having fad batteries that could protect this thing, but we just we're using them all overseas, so we don't have any set.
Speaker 3: Up, huh.
Speaker 2: And that's one of those things where I'm like, well, I guess I'm if we're going to be spending money on something, I would like to spend money on more of those and not the bullet that shoots another bullet in the air or more nookes. I don't know. Yeah, but none of this really is gonna be enough if there's a full scale nuclear engagement. You know, your best hope is that maybe someone it's just one or two nukes, they get fires, and maybe we're able to stop them, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's part three, Margaret Yay, got any pluggables to plug?
Speaker 3: Well, if you like hiss, Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is the opposite of the show, although I still have to end up talking about terrible things all the time. And you can go listen to that Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff, And you can also listen to Robert and I Plane Pathfinder's right on the it could happen here feed or the Cool Zone Media book Club feed.
Speaker 2: That's right. You can check all that out, and you can check me out in the II coad day when we do the next episode, because you're getting a bonus one this week, you lucky gus. Anyway, assuming that you know, we don't all die in newbout Fire, which is entirely possible, it could happen right now. Oh nope, We're good, all right, Oh okay.
Speaker 4: Behind the Bastards is a production of Cool Zone Media for more from cool Zone Media. Visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Behind the Bastards is now available on YouTube, new episodes every Wednesday and Friday. Subscribe to our channel YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards