Speaker 1: Welcome to Inside Active, a podcast about active managers that goes beyond side bites and headlines and looks deeper into their processes, challenges and philosophies and security selection. I'm David Cohne, I lead mutual fund and active Research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Access to markets has changed dramatically over the past decade. Strategies that were once hard to reach are now being delivered through ETFs models and new structures designed to scale. But as access expands and raises a different set of questions about capacity outcomes and whether making something more accessible changes would investments actually get Today? I wanted to explore what that means for active management and how the industry is balancing innovation with discipline. Joining me to discuss that is A'm A Palia, Executive Vice president in chief business officer for State Street Investment Management. Anna. Thank you for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me, So let's.
Speaker 1: Dive right in. Do you think the industry has moved past the whole active versus passive debate or kind of you think it's still as a useful framing.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, I really hope that the industry is now past the active versus passive debate because as you as you may know, and I'm sure that you know it really, really well, we have been talking about this for the last thirty years, active versus passive, which became a musual fans of versus ETFs. Ultimately, it's not really an either or one is better than the other. Is really a matter of understanding how to use active strategies and passive strategies when building a portfolio. I also think that the industry is a lot of really good world educating clients, educating investors about the differences between the content and the technology. The idea of rapper is a technology. It's not a content, It's just the meme by which content is delivered to investors. Now historically IDA so only passive, hence the debate active versus passive. But in the end, the idea of rapper is just a phenomenal technology that is really upgrading the way by which we deliver content to our clients.
Speaker 1: So if we go a little further, do you think half of has gone too far anywhere where it's actually made markets less efficient, you know, creating opportunities for active.
Speaker 2: I don't think that. I don't think that passive has gone too far. I think that passive is doing exactly what the passive is designed to do. Passive was born as a market exposure in a way that is cost effective, tax efficients and allows investors to get a slice of the market. Passive is really meant to be predictable. So the way you are looking passive to a portfolio is using an old book. I don't take passive has gone too far. I actually think that there are other opportunities for ass IF to continue to innovate, even if the market is becoming more and more crowded as we go.
Speaker 1: And so if we kind of talk about how you active and passive both places, do you think that clients still have a misunderstanding of active management today? You know what they're actually asking for that you know doesn't necessarily lead to better outcomes?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, David, returns are incredibly important, and I do believe that active management is struggling not because of the legal wrapper, but because the benchmarks are incredibly strong. We have seen several years of very strong epudy markets, especially US domestic epity markets, and it has been really hard for active managers to outperform the benchmarks. So I do think that the investors are driven by the outcome. They are driven by returns. And at a time when it's really easy to go in and out of a fund or to trade the ETFs out of digital wealth platforms, redoos are becoming incredibly important. I don't think that investors have the patients that they had before to say, well, the active strategy is underperforming. I'm gonna wait for the explanation. I'm gonna give it another year, two years, or five years. We live in an environment in which investment choices are the fingertips of our investors. And I think that the patience of longer term investors and that we saw in the last decade is slowly evaporating and showing very strong returns, showing a very strong strategy that generates alpha is the key between an investor choice between an active strategy and a passive exposure product.
Speaker 1: So one of the things we've noticed is, you know, especially kind of this kind of rebound and active management, you know where Pastor was kind of dominating for quite a while. And you know, obviously the VTF structure helps a lot. You know, it's you know, investors prefer that, but you know, we kind of looked at feet compression is another issue that I think has kind of helped active along. Do you think that fee compression has improved the quality of active management or you know, is there kind of a flip side where you know, it's less revenue and could make it harder to invest in talent.
Speaker 2: You know. The way I look at that is really simple. Investors are winning here because these active and passive I have some usual funds. The dynamic that we have been observing, especially in the last decade, really showed that for active managers to outperform their benchmarks and to have a favorite allocation within a client portfolio, they have to show competitive fees and they have to show outstanding performance. And I'm not just talking about you know, top half or top one third. You have to show very good, strong performance top desile to begin with. So to me, in this competitive environment, investors of really the winners because everything is fully transparent. Pis right there. You can get a slice of the sm P five hundred four as little as two paces points. And if active managers cannot beat the s m P five hundred and charge more than that, it's going to be really really hard for that strategy to have a favorite place in a client portfolio. However, the other thing that is happening is that really strong as locators are winning. We have seen that the new flexibility and the exemptive orders that the SEC has approved have opened the door to active strategies finding a place in the DF rapper. We have seen that with a mutual fund that WEDF conversion. We will see it and more and more again with the EDF share classes of mutual funds. So strong active strategies based on fundamentals, with a very strong truck reper that wrap, you know, very modern technology like itty apps is really going to continue to drive. And we have seen the results last year where five hundred and eighty billion dollars of net new assets in the ETF industry. We're really originating out of active strategies, either through conversions or new fund launchers. Now, not all active strategies are creative. Well, again, performance is paramounts. It's not a coincidence that there is a big difference between the growth of a fixed income activity apps and the growth of equity activity apps. In fixed income you can really use very thoughtful and very strategic active por foreign management strategies to us perform most of the benchmarks, and this is why active fixed income is going faster than active equity. But in the end, you know, performance is really going to drive flows.
Speaker 1: So if we you know, we talk about you know why active ETFs are doing so much better than active mutual funds. But can you think of a reason which would make an act strategy work better in a mutual fund as opposed to an ETF.
Speaker 2: Well, there are a number of reasons for that. I'm not saying I'm not saying that the ETFs are always the best possible rapper for a given strategy. The first thing that you have to look at is capacity. We you know at State Street Investment Management that we operate a wide platform aware. We are very much wrapper aware, and I don't like to see rap proagnostic because I think about proagnostic is a little bit of a mistake. Rapper aware being a rapper aware. It's really important we offer our capabilities a true ETFs. Some usual funds CI is in separate mandates. So for us, it's really relevant. We don't have a view about what wrapper is best for a certain strategy, But what is really important is one what the client wants, what type of clients we are going to offer strategies to and capacity. Ultimately, when we make a decision about launching an ETF, we always have to ask ourselves what happens if we become the victims of our own success? What happens if this fund becomes widely successful and we're going to be able to operate this strategy yart of fifty billion dollars one hundred billion dollars over one hundred billion dollars Because unlike mutual funds, you cannot close an ETF, you cannot suspend the redemptions. The DF is going to have to continually trade. The EDF is going to have to be open for peacemas and provide a daily liquidity. And if there are strategies based on maybe concentrated strategies or securities that are less liquid then what you would like to see in an ETF, then the EDF may not be the best of rapper. Again, it's not the one in the other. There are some nuances that you have to take into account during the product development process.
Speaker 1: If we go a little deeper on that, you know, you know, as as a managers think about capacity and scalability, and you know, especially for firms that haven't made the move yet. How do flows play a role? I guess you know, even something like model portfolios, which can drive flows at scale. How how do you think about that that when it comes to capacity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you have to think about capacity, and there are many different lenses because our product innovation journey is not just that the manufacturing level. So capacity is not just about the building a fund, launching a usual fund, launching NDF. If you are launching andF, you have to think about how is this product going to be consumed. Mother portfolios are certainly gonna play a role that is going to be more and more important in the next three to five years because technology is making it possible for small clients to use moder portfolios and it tfs play a big role in there. But I'm also thinking about directing, daxing, directing vaxing and those you know taxa alpha generating platforms are using dfs. Some of them are are also using the musual funds, but most modern portfolios that we see are really using dfs as building blocks. So you have to look at many different dimensions of liquidity, in many different dimensions of flows. How much of the flow do you expect to come from mother portfolios, from directingdxing platforms, from digital world. That's the distribution network that is growing faster than wealth and institutional and those investors not buying usual funds, they buy dfs. So what type of strategies do you want to put the market And are you reasonably sure that the combination of the wealth institutional model, portfolios, direct indexing and digital wealth is not going to cause this funder to lose its liquidity and you know the strength of the Weber may be compromised.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. We switch scares just a little bit. I just want to talk about launching active products. And you know, when you're evaluating a potential launch of a product, you what separates a real need from just, you know, product proliferation.
Speaker 2: That's such a good question because last year we have seen a lot of product proliferation. I believe that the ETF market so something like one and seventy seven and new products are coming to market in twenty twenty five. But of those products, only a handful were able to cross one hundred billion dollars in one billion dollars in in the first twelve months of their life. And the reason for data is pretty simple. Launching products is easy. Launching the right products is not really easy. And I do think that those sponsors of those asset managers that are able to generate that type of growth, asset managers that do not innovate for the sake of innovation, they are able to step away from these vanity projects where you know, I have a great idea, I can manage a great portfolio, so I'm going to build it and they will can build it and they will come, or really doesn't work in an IF flaw and for what it's worth, it doesn't even work in a musual fund land. So we have pretty much moved the way from a manufacturer standpoints. Whenever we start a product innovation journey, we don't start from our own capabilities. We start from the other end of the process, which is the client. Everything is very much data driven. We look at flows, we look at the bottom up assessment of what we hear from clients on the ground. With you're you know, we have a very stronger salesforce puts on the ground every day talking to clients and bringing that intelligence back into our innovation hub. And whenever we assess gaps in markets, so this is where this is where our process starts. It doesn't start from the manufacturing side. It starts from our clients and then we work backwards. We try to build that capability and we also ask ourselves are we best in class with this? We have built a platebook that is really successful when it comes to partnerships. We don't have to be best in class of everything. You know, we know exactly where our strengths are. We know etrs, we know liquidity, we know secondary markets, we know primary markets. This is this isn't very much the strength of our platform, but if there are things that we are not already created, so we don't have an issue saying we are gonna call a friend here and we are gonna partner with somebody who is a best in class at this particular thing. We partnered with a Bridge order to bring us into it apps. We partnered with Apollo to bring a private credit to it apps. We partnered with Galaxy to bring digital assets into it apps. So for us, it's really about filling a gap and then working backwards so to understand who has the cababilities to deliver about them.
Speaker 1: So if we think about the next wave of innovation, do you think you could be coming from asset classes like private markets or how I guess you would say strategies are packaged and distributed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't really look at asset classes a versus strategies. Again, we look at we look at investors needs, and we follow the money because when you follow the money, you are never wrong. You know exactly what our clients are buying, and it gives you an idea of what particular teams they are focusing on today, but may driver flows in the future, and those teams may be low cost, it may be income. If you look at the biggest drivers of flows in the first four months of this year, which is also something that we have seen in twenty twenty five, so this is not just a change in trends, we see that half of the flows come from low cost low cost exposure. I don't know if this is going to change when a market markets start to crack, and right now we have had the luxury of living in a period of stronger everydy markets, so low cost has really been a driver. Fifty percent of the assets are really originated out of the desire to add as slice of the market at a very low price. Income is the need for income and not limiting that to dividends is what has really because the and propelled the proliferation of the income oriented products. So we have seen many of these examples in market, but also we have seen buffer dtfs really taking a fair share of flows the last year and this year, stemming from clients desires to control the downside a little, even if they are compromising the upside slightly. So what we do is really move away from as a classes and really look at these teams as a classes specific. If I really were to go there, I would tell you that the fixed InCom is a big focus of ours because we do believe that the active selection matters when it comes to fixed INCAM and we will continue to look at opportunities to innovate in active fixed income opposs trough usual funds of dfs.
Speaker 1: Okay, I do want to focus on one as a class for just a second. I do kind of want to go back to the private markets because products like Priver just really interesting to me, and you know, trying to bring less liquid exposures into you know, a more accessible rapper. You know, I know, I'd love to know and my listeners would love to know what had it changed. I guess internally to make something like it possible, that's a.
Speaker 2: Really good question. Two things have to change, price, transparency, and liquidity. Now, when we started working on prive or prive industry, it's really fifty to fifty. When we started working on these funds, we formed a number of beliefs. Belief number one is that private markets and public markets will converge. We have seen this movie before, we have watched it. It sounds like a rep heat of what we observed with senior loans, emergeny markets, emergy markets, debts. You know, those markets were inaccessible, ill liquid and then slowly that liquidity was created and markets conversion. And we do believe that this is the beginning of the journey between a public market and private markets. We also formed another belief which is especially when it times to private credit, private credit can still command the higher yells compared to the more traditional public side of credit. And we also believe that quality matters, so selection matters. Not all private credit is created equal. And when we built this fund, we really thought about fixing an exposure that provides out performance compared to the benchmark. With the inclusion of a private credit component. Now, our partnership with Apolo really helped us make ourselves comfortable when it comes to the liquidity so a'poloys providing a liquidity backstop to the funds. So in cases in which we decide that we want to sell those assets, I've always agreed to buy them back Upolo is also giving us price transparency. We get three puts a day on each one of those assets from Apolo. We value those acsets internally independently of the bole, and we also hire an independent data because we are not satisfied with the first two sets of data, so we converge all of these different data points and we come up with a pricing that we believe is in bigadiva of the value of the security, and we put that price on our website. Again, the transformative thing about this product is that we are providing a level of transparency about these assets that did not exist before. And thirty years ago when the first idiods were launched, what we discovered was that a transparency enables arbitrash, and arbitrash makes everybody honest. So I mean, we have seen this fund the first of all, delivering the results that we expected to see right now the fund is outperforming, is benchmarkt in a way that is meaningful. We are talking about nineteen ninety five basis pints depending on the period, and we are really satisfied and pleased with the liquidity of the assets that were including the private segment of the portfolio. So we didn't go one hundred percent pilots because we don't think the market is right for that. We don't think that there is enough liquidity to support a fund that is one hundred percent private and provides daily liquidity. But we do believe that we are at the beginning of the journey, and that journey is going to end in three years or five years in a place where we are going to have price transparency, we are going to have liquidity, and investors will really be able to take advantage of that. I mean, in the end, the mission of ETFs over the last thirty years has been one of democratizing access. It has not been passive. I mean people people always equate the ETFs so with passive, that's not the mission of this product. The mission of this product is breaking down bar years democratizing access to financial instruments and democratizing accessor to the active performance of private markets is going to be the X frontier of this market.
Speaker 1: But for now, if investors are looking at prove, should they consider that a fixed income exposure where they're getting access to both public and private as opposed to know, an alternative allocation in their portfolio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really good question. We don't consider that an alternative a location. We build this fund and we continue to market this fund is a reinvention of court plus. We really looked at the core plus category. We didn't want to do a court plus plus, but we said if we are able to incorporate that is additional eels and to this portfolio, we will be able to ramagic cored cluss a reinvent cored cluss. So this is not going to be something that fits the also bucket in a client portfolio. To me, this is a compliment to the fixed income exposure where if you are looking for a core CLUS allocation, this fund is going to give you cord clus the same risk profile or a similar risk profile of traditional core class strategies with the other benefit of the additional private yield.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing you had mentioned is democratizing the markets, and I guess My question is how does the active management fit into that mission? You know, just giving it. You know, I should say historically higher cost structure. I mean, obviously fees are going down, but I guess how do you view that as part of it?
Speaker 2: Yes, well, alpha s paramount. Usually when investors look at the returns, they look at returns net of fees. So if you can, if you can deliver outstanding returns net of fees, fees are going to become a relevant I mean, ultimately, fees are really important. If you are producing mediocre returns and the fiz are eating gap on the returns, this is our investors are gonna look at S and P five hundred to business points and this is what I get. I get the performance of the S and P five hundred. I only have to pay two pips for that. But if you have strong active merchants. You know, I am an IDF geek, so everybody looks at me as the passive goal, but I am not at all a supporter of passive I am a supporter of good performance and good returns for our investors because this is our purpose, this is why we do what we do. And if active managers can generate the outstanding our fuck and beat their benchmark and can provide the net of visa outstanding returns for their clients. They can charge as much as they want, but if they cannot do that, they are gonna have to, you know, come down to what the edf lands suggest as being the average price of the medium price for a certain strategy, and they need to be able to deliver those retorts those fees. The market is becoming more and more competitive, but we continue to see active strategies of being deployed in an IDIF wrapper that is not just a single digit advisory fees, So good performance can command the higher fees.
Speaker 1: So if we, I guess, separate the active equity and active fixed income because when I look at managers and aggregate it's it's actually the same thing with ETFs and mutual funds. You know, the active tincom managers tend to do a lot better. They have a lot it's easier for them to outperform the benchmarks versus the active equity And if we need to if we think about active management over the next decade, do you think it's kind of a performance issue that they need to stay relevant? I guess it is.
Speaker 2: It is one of the percenter performance issue. If I were an active manager, I would be much more focused on performance then on his because again the benchmarks are incredibly strong. We had the benchmarks passive benchmarks are by no means passive. There is no such a thing as pushing a button and the portfolio rebalances. Index providers put a lot of thoughts, technology and strategy in the build out of an index. Indesses come in so many different shapes and forms where the line between active and passive is becoming very blurry. Where do you put systematic induses? Where do you put smart beta indices? It's h It's a combination of dynamic strategies, root based, root based approach and transparency. So with the induses evolving so fast and benchmarks being so strong, the true active managers, the real ones, are gonna be the ones that can generate ARPHA. And you know it's not impossible. Last year, one third of active manager so beat their benchmark in the airy side. In the fixed income side, it was around forty five or forty seven percent. As so, as you said, in active fixed income there is a better opportunity to be the benchmark, but beating the benchmark spartamount.
Speaker 1: Well, I think this is a great place to end, but this is a lot of fun. Anna, thank you so much for joining me, Thank you for having me. I also want to thank our listeners. If you like the episode, please share, subscribe and leave a review. And if you'd like to see more of our research on the terminal, please go to bifund go for funding Active Research until our next episode. This is David Combe with inside Active st