Speaker 1: Hello, Snaffoo fans, or as I like to call you, SNAPf fooligans. Come on, that's a cool name, right right. I hope you're keeping cool this summer, and as we wade through this horrifically sweltering El Nino, I've got something even hotter for you, this brand new clip episode curated by the Snafoo team and by Snapoo Team. I guess I really just mean me putting on different hats and using different silly voices with each hat. Now that I think about it, is maybe kind of sad. But anyway, this summer, to tide you over until our new season arrives, we're gonna be releasing a whole series of montage episodes tied to a certain theme or just collective nuggets of Snaffoo laden wisdom. And to kick things off, I thought we might want to begin with a fun romp down Memory Lane with a bunch of my guests, who also happen to be my wonderful collaborators on film and TV project over the years. So if you didn't catch the behind the scenes banter before, now is a great time to tune in and devour some bite sized morsels about what it was like to power around with Angela Keenzi and Jennif Fisher when we had downtime between scenes on the Office. Or how Mike Sure, one of the Office writers, helped conjure the character of Andy Bernard based on one of his own acquaintances. Maybe hear a little bit about Jake Johnson recalling how when we were shooting the movie Tag, Jeremy Rinner literally broke both arms doing a stunt and then returned to set to keep filming that same day. Yeah, it's insane, as he's a superhuman. That's why he's an avenger. Anyways, sit back, relax, and enjoy this episode of Snafo insights from my castmates and collaborators. Let me ask Abe a very I think, very pressing question that all of our listeners and viewers are probably wondering right now, which is, how much do you miss working with me on a daily basis?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: My gosh, I miss the office a lot. I mean we spend our days. Our job now is watching the show and it always just brings up so many memories of working together. And you know how many bloopers there are? Oh yeah, there's so many, because we would just laugh all day together.
Speaker 1: That's what we did. Ed.
Speaker 4: I just miss I miss being silly with you, Like we would get so like I would walk past you and we would just make up a new noise like peeling.
Speaker 1: Finding Oh my god. It's like all the stuff off camera, the life experience of that whole time period, which was just had this kind of larger umbrella feeling of like, wow, we're all part of something really great and that's like super special. But then we're also having these really mundane, lovely moments on the set, just talking about each other's lives and families and like, I don't know, just the little those little quiet moments are sitting at our trailers like waiting for a camera setup or it's like that. That's I think something that like fans don't always understand is that like our experience of making the show is actually this whole tapestry of mundane, small moments of just experiencing each other.
Speaker 3: I mean it's an intimacy, yeah, you know, of togetherness, of constant togetherness.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think if I could go back and relive a moment, like if you know, I got a genie in a bottle and I could use a wish it would be to go back and shoot a conference room scene all day because when we would see those on the script or on the call sheet and we would be like, oh god, we have been in.
Speaker 1: The conference room. You're going to be a slog day all day.
Speaker 3: But those were the days that created the moments you were talking about, Ed totally, those little laughs, the shares, the sweatiness together, all of it.
Speaker 4: And because we weren't on a huge lot, you know, there was no distraction. You know, people didn't walk off to a commissary. We were just all in this little bubble, this tiny space where we got to be creative together. It kind of reminded me a little bit of that energy you have in your early days with your improv group or your one act play. Because there was no one else, there was no shiny object to go off and look at. It was just us, Like, yeah, I loved it when you would play your banjo and Creed would bring in his guitar and we'd hang out in the parking lot.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's funny you bring up those conference room scenes because those were particularly special because most of the time we're not all together, right, most of the time, we're just doing little scenes with like one or two other characters, and and that's that's the bulk of our work. But then the table read was always a special moment. Every Tuesday morning was the table read of next week's script and or two weeks. I forget the timing, but then it was one week, one week, one week. It was less than a week's notice. Yeah, but those are the moments. Those and some of those conference room scenes were like where everybody's together, like everybody's and those had a really special energy, like like a just a little buzz to them. And when and like you said, when they when they were all day long, that's and they get a little dull and they start to slow down. Everybody's trying to just hang in there. It's like some of the just most human hangout.
Speaker 3: And you had a really unique experience joining the show because you actually joined in Stamford, so you didn't start off in the dunder Mifflin bullpen of the scrant and dunder Mifflin bullpen, and then you came over. What was that like for you to kind of like soft launch into the show, Like you worked with John, you worked with Rashida, you worked with Chip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well sorry, Jenna, I'll be asking the questions today. We were doing No. I love the question. I always tell people like that was such a gentle entry for us because of exactly what you're saying, Like, you know, Rashida and I started at a time when the show was hot. It was season three, and you guys had already just kind of like created this incredible thing, and so we were intimidated but also felt kind of so warmly welcomed, both by the writers and and all of you. Everyone's energy was so lovely. That's so sweet. It really could have gone the other way. I'm sure a lot of other shows there's like more it's more cutthroat, or it feels more like the new people like let's let them they had to prove themselves with I just felt so like all of my butterflies and anxiety just washed out so quickly because everyone, all of you were so lovely right out of the gate, and which is a testament to all of you and the vibe that got created. It was collaborative.
Speaker 3: It was not competitive totally. There was not like a weird like ego competitiveness going on on that set, which was so great.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, it was always you know, we always say it was a real creative collaboration. From the writer's room to the crew to the cast, we're all working together to create a product that we were proud of. And I think, I mean, I think you feel that when you watch it, and I think that's why people keep enjoying it. As you're seeing a group of people having a great time.
Speaker 1: There's a warmth there that's real, and I think that comes through the camera. Since nineteen fifteen, there have somehow been a whopping thirty two broken arrow incidents. This includes theft wait wait yeah, raising one, thirty two super dupe nukes, super gone, super duper nuukers, thirty two.
Speaker 3: Nuclear weapons. Oi YOI now I know why they call it broken arrows, because when you say, you know what, we have thirty two broken arrows, you're like, oh, if you say we have thirty two lost nuclear weapons?
Speaker 1: Wait stop, what say again? Euphemisms make hard things a lot easier. Oh man, yeah, yeah, yeah, thirty two.
Speaker 4: That's why Greg called all of our talking heads candy bags.
Speaker 1: You know, I forgot that.
Speaker 4: He said that he always felt bad giving us pages and pages of extra monologues, so he was like, I'll name them something fun, so we named them candy bags.
Speaker 1: I loved those. I loved doing those talking heads and like coming up with like new rifts and like the candy bag alts, like all the different versions of our talking heads. Like just it was like getting a window into the writer's brains. I just remember loving the math of those jokes and like always trying to think about how to heighten them, and they'd have to kick me out of those talking heads.
Speaker 3: But to your point, naming all the extra work a candy bag, it's a trick, definitely made it go down easier. And also calling all our screw ups bloopers makes them sound fun too, like, oh that was a blooper, Like that's just a broken arrow.
Speaker 4: I mean, even the word snaffoo is kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Snaffooo, guys, it's just a snaffoo whoopsie doozy. Today, my guest is one of my oldest and dearest comedy pals. He's a writing legend. SNL the Office co created Parks and rec Brooklyn ninety nine, The Good Place Rutherford Falls, and by the way, he directed tons of all those episodes as well, And oh don't let me forget out of all of us who worked on the office. He he was also the best actor. Yeah, he's the one who brought the legendary Mos Shrewd into all of our hearts and nightmares. Of course, he just got a very well deserved star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and at this point I'm pretty sure NASA might be trying to name a planet after him. Please welcome, Mike. Sure, Hello, Mike, what a wonderful introduction.
Speaker 6: Thank you, I mean, thank you first of all for highlighting my acting, because I think you know that's the legacy that I hope to leave this earth with more than anything else.
Speaker 1: I don't think you get enough credit for your acting, and I don't agree you act enough. I think you need to be in more stuff.
Speaker 6: I will take any acting job that requires me to a remain mute and be run along the side of a car like a dog.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about those for a second, because what went into your choices, the choices that you made as an actor, was that something that like the writer's room really kind of broke down and was like, it'd be really funny if he was just sort of spooky and almost like a horror movie character just sort of popping up or or was that just your own brain sort of chewing on it and then showing up to set and being like, I'm gonna get weird.
Speaker 6: Certainly, the way that Greg Daniels and the writers wrote, and I'm putting that in quotes wrote the character of Mo's was spooky and weird and just kind of off my choices as an actor, I would describe as coming from a white hot panic, just pure panic. Just no one had told me what to do. I didn't know what to do. I'm not an actor, and I just did anything. I just did anything that I could think of in the moment, and people kept finding it amusing, and so I just kept panicking.
Speaker 1: And doing whatever came to mind. I love it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It gifts to all of America. So thank you the world, really truly.
Speaker 7: Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really eager to dig into this snafu with you today, but before I do, I just wanted to tell you something because I was thinking about You know, we've known each other for twenty ish years and we've collaborated very closely in many different ways over the years, and I've talked about you in publicly in interviews, a lot over the years, and I realized there's something that I kind of say when your name comes up in interviews frequently, but I don't know that if I've ever said it directly to you. And I was like, I got to tell Mike this. I got to get on the record with Mike sure and let you know that the character Andy Bernard on the Office never would have clicked for me without you. You were such an instrumental part of like helping me find his voice and shaping who he became, and that whole process, all of our fun little huddle ups and just hard laughs and brainstorming sessions about who Andy Bernard could be and why Andy was funny or what made him funny, And it's just like one of my favorite memories of show business. That's so kind of you to say. I mean, I will say that.
Speaker 6: You know, you join the show in season three and the plot was that, you know, Jim had moved to a different office, and the office that happened to be chosen was in Stanford, Connecticut. And I grew up in West Hartford, Connecticut, which is maybe an hour and changed north of Stanford, and I just instantly knew Andy. I grew up with Andy a lot of Andy's and it was a very familiar character to me at the sort of preppy like good time Charlie guy who went to an ivy League school and just wanted to be liked and was was just desperate for for like you know, was maybe a little clumsy in the way that he went about it, but had a good soul and a good heart. And I just remember thinking the combination of that character description and you as an actor. I was like, oh, I know, I get this, I get this. I know exactly who this guy is. And I and I do have a lot of as I'm sure you do, specific memories of like little moments of like figuring out the exact right little mannerism or sort of prepster little little turn of phrase or something.
Speaker 8: That he would give.
Speaker 6: There was the episode where you all get drunk in the office having to work late at night. Oh yeah, and start you start singing an Indogo Girls song of Closer to Fine song, and then Jim chimes in and you pop up a go tuna like so excited that he also knows all the lyrics to Closer to Find. I mean, that's that was my childhood. That was exactly my child that was around with my friends and listening to that album in particular.
Speaker 1: That's really where I think our friendship forged. Like that's when I met you, was coming onto the office set and just immediately like you were one of one of that handful of people that put me at ease immediately, and I'm so glad. Yeah, I mean, it's just yeah, it's awesome. It was a good time.
Speaker 6: It was a very fun, fun time, and I think all of our lives it felt like we were just in a very creative world with a bunch of creative fun people, and our only job was to figure out what was the funniest thing that could have happened in any given moment.
Speaker 1: That's exactly our only job was to make each other laugh as hard as possible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I mean there's no better.
Speaker 1: Job, Mike Sure. That is the story of Tammany Hall and Boss Tweed, the biggest, baddest, most corrupt machine New York City ever built. Do you have any sort of like larger big picture takeaways for me? I was really struck by the role that media played in this story, and particularly the role of comedy cartoons. It wasn't the cops or Congress or even rival politicians who brought down Boss tweet. It was journalists and cartoonists.
Speaker 6: I'll say a couple things. Number one is one of the best things about this country, this screwed up, messed up, messy, complex country that we live in, is that in the First Amendment, it says very clearly the government cannot put you in jail for or prosecute you in anyway for speaking up and saying what you believe. And it also says that the media is free. And because of that, we have a system by which newspapers in history, and television shows and radio programs and other media outlets are allowed to point out and make fun of and highlight corruption in government. That has always been true. It is in theory, i would say, still true today. When I worked at Saturday Night Live, which was my first job, Jim Downey, who's probably the greatest political satirist, he's the Thomas Nast of his day, really wrote the famous debate speeches sketches between Bush and Gore in two thousand and you know, the famous the first debate sketch involved, you know, summarize your campaign one word in al Gore, Daryl Hammond as Al Gore said lockbox, and Will Ferrell as George Bush said strategiery, and that line stuck to George Bush so thoroughly. He did have a lot of malaprops in his day. But there's a large number of people who believe that he really said that, that he really said strategicy at one point, there's a lot of people who believe that Sarah Palin said I can see Russia from my house, she did it. Tina Fay said that as Sarah Palin on SNL, and that that tradition that is very much in the Thomas Nast tradition, right, is the there's a difference between the way people understand the world we live in and the country we live in from dry media reports about fraud and corruption everything else, and the way that we see it through comedy. And comedy is often a more powerful weapon and a more direct way to make people understand something about government and corruption and fraud and whatever else is going on than actual news. And that's while I was thinking of as you were telling this story, is is thank goodness that this country allows us to do that, because I believe that is the most effective way often for people to come to understand what their political leaders are doing. That's what Thomas an asked did to Boss Tweet, and that's what Jim Downey and other folks have done to politicians through SNL cold opens over the years.
Speaker 1: Do you think that culturally we actually kind of underestimate the power of jokes? Like can humor still land a knockout punch? I'm thinking about South Park right now. Yeah, is really appears to be puncturing the armor of this administration in a very in a startling way.
Speaker 6: I mean, the media landscape in which we currently live is so much more fractured. You know, at the time, Harper's Weekly was probably the most powerful and an important institution in media, and obviously there's you know, there's barely newspapers anymore, and now there's barely kind of TV. There's no monoculture in TV anymore. We're now in this TikTok Instagram Snapchat world where things are very, very fractured. Everybody has their own algorithm. So the question to me isn't whether humor can be as potent a tool anymore. It's whether the delivery mechanisms that we are employing now can actually deliver a piece of satire to the world that way, or whether people are so siloed off that they'll that, you know, people a large majority of the public won't ever see the same thing.
Speaker 1: That's my fear. I know exactly what you mean, and I feel that sense of sort of fracturing culture that you're speaking to. But I still have this feeling, and it may start be transitioning into more of a hope at this point, but a feeling that truly exceptional work, whether it's a South Park episode or you know, a particularly keen clip of stand up, like the cream still rises to the top, and it does, it can still like sort of permeate those I.
Speaker 6: Would hope so, because I think if the story of Boss Tweet teaches us anything, it's that, you know, that is what is needed in these moments. What's needed is a voice of satire and clarity and perspective that can cut through and present in a single picture or a single comedy sketch or a single joke. What it would take a scholar, you know, hours to properly relay a picture of a greedy person as a vulture devouring democracy is a lot more effective in a single blow, in a single coup then you know, a lengthy article or a six part series in the New York Times or something like that.
Speaker 1: Put in some applause and like, you know, roaring.
Speaker 9: Three to four minutes of heart applause.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, standing ovation sound effects Jake Johnson's air. Yes, we of course became acquainted on the movie Tag, which was just a goddamn delight. How fun was that? I mean, we had our ups and downs on the production, but it was it was a hell of a lot of fun.
Speaker 9: Apart from Renner breaking both his arms during a stunt.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, remember that crazy day in the church. Of course, I remember that. Insane Okay, So just for the listener, we're doing this scene where Jeremy Renner is chasing us and he's on he does that Fred Astaire chair move where he's you know where you like stand on the back of a chair and then and then let it fall down and then you keep going. Only the sort of bit was that this was a stack of like thirty chairs, so it was like twenty feet tall. Yeah it was. He he and he sort of falls down, but in a controlled way, off on this stack of chairs and then keeps running. But and he was wearing a harness to make the fall smooth and not harmful to his body. This there was some malfunction. He landed on both his arms. Both of his arms broke yes and he went to the hospital and was back on set that afternoon Shotkans still shooting. Do you remember that?
Speaker 9: And I'll tell you we've talked about this, but there are certain things you've said that are not for Jake. Breaking your arms and returning to shoot a scene and tag not for Jake.
Speaker 1: If I break my arms, not for Jake. I'm hold up for a while.
Speaker 9: I'm in a hospital room. I'm expecting visitors. I'm expecting a lot of you. Were so brave for doing that. I'm not going back to work. And then do you remember he has.
Speaker 1: To throw coffee?
Speaker 9: I think at me, yeah, where I run by him and he throws, but he had to use his broken arm, And I was like, I would like to complain about the fact that I need to slide on the ground, but I can't do that because he's throwing something.
Speaker 1: If they broke, because he's doing another stunt with broken arms. With broken arms, that to me was really wild.
Speaker 9: Do you remember the scene in the church also when it was you, me, Hannibil and probably Ham but I'm not sure. And Hannibal farted on camera and then got.
Speaker 1: Upset with us when we laughed if he were the ones not being professional and said come on man, and I said, I can't, you can't. That's impossible to do. I do remember that that was that was pure sabotage. Oh my god. There were so many hard laughs on that set, so many ridiculous experiences, and then this is this is like we'll probably cut this because this is like some some celebrity whining. But I remember being so excited because they're like, hey, we got a jet for the whole cast, and we're gonna that's how we're going to travel on this press tour. So we're all flying together and I'm like, oh, this is great. We get private airports, luxury jet. It was like a battered old like like a school bus with wings. Literally it was like a nineteen seventies like Southwest retired airplane and such a piece of jump. It was like, I mean, okay, don't cut that at I remember being like, good, oh yeah, this is his tag. Just the disappointment. It's like you were adding to the to that we're we're at a private airport, like this is gonna be so great, it's so fun and great, and then we get on and it's like, oh, these the seats are torn, like there's rats running around in this airplane. It smells like cigarettes, like it was a great plane, hadn't been cleaned since people smoked on planes. It was a greyhouf. It was a great hound airplane as what it was. That's great, I do, that's great.
Speaker 8: Hi, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm awesome. It's so good to see you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's really good to see you too.
Speaker 1: We worked together a very long time ago, and you've done so many incredible things since then, and I am enormously proud of you and proud to know you.
Speaker 8: Thank you. I feel the same way about you. It's been half a lifetime since we worked together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much. When was that you were your daily show tenure? I started in two thousand and two and went to two thousand and six.
Speaker 8: I was ninety nine to two thousand and three.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so we overlapped about two years maybe, and.
Speaker 8: Two years that we just happened to win a Peabody.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 8: I don't know coincidence. I don't know.
Speaker 1: You tell me, I don't think so that's what That's why this this is our first collaboration since then, and it's going to win a Peabody. It's like this.
Speaker 8: Actual episode not going to win.
Speaker 1: That's what we do, that's how we do it. So we You and I collaborated on a number of segments in our Daily Show days, and one of the ones I'm most proud of is in fact a Dan Tabirsky segment, a delightful little number called Guns for Tots. Explain the premise of this, of this segment we did for the Daily Show.
Speaker 2: It was this guy who who wanted to make sure he was he was what was he doing?
Speaker 1: He was libertarian? Yeah, he was a libertarian.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he was a libertarian guy.
Speaker 2: And he was and he was protesting the existence of a law that was trying to keep guns away from kids, Like if you had a squirt gun, you had to like painted bright pink so it didn't look like a gun, so some kid didn't get shot by accident by a cop.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And he was just up in arms.
Speaker 1: He felt like this was government overreach, that the government would have the audacity to to interfere with someone's rights to arm their children. And this is all true, This is real, This is the real stuff that we did a satirical about. But the real premise was this guy had a very provocative toy drive called Guns for Tots, in which he gave toy guns two children in Harlem, New York, and we went and covered it and we treated him like like like the hero.
Speaker 8: He's a warrior, he was a justice warrior.
Speaker 1: He was a justice warrior.
Speaker 8: He was like making a difference guy.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget. The segment closed with him talking about how he wants to he can't wait to buy guns for his children, his own children, and we we cut to are amazing editor. At the time, Ainer had a beautiful little daughter and do you remember this. We filmed her playing a with a toy gun that had been painted black.
Speaker 8: And looked very real, looks like a gun.
Speaker 1: And it's like this the sweetest, most horrifying juxtaposition of a child with what looks like a glock.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's incredible, it's incredible. It's an amazing visual.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's crazy how long ago that was.
Speaker 7: Honestly, it's the only time I've ever get any validation. You just reading off those credits made me feel good.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh wow, I mean I didn't even mention your book. You just had a you just wrote a book. I have a book.
Speaker 7: Look, you and I are now authors, We are best selling authors.
Speaker 1: Very exciting, it is very exciting. I'm very proud of us. I was trying to think back to the origin of our friendship, and it just it falls into that huge basket of just wonderful people orbiting the UCB Theater in New York City around what like nineteen ninety nine, right in that area.
Speaker 7: Because you know, it's it's interesting. There are certain people that like Jason man Zukus. Obviously we co host this podcast together. I know Jason for many years. But Jason was not somebody that was invited to my wedding, which is a crazy thing because we weren't that close at that point in our He's definitely a friend. He didn't get that cut. He didn't make that cut.
Speaker 1: I was at your wedding, you were, and the whole time I was like, where is Jason? Why this is horrible? Meanwhile, Jason gave a toast at my wedding.
Speaker 7: As a matter of fact, It's wild to me that I talked to him all the time and he was somebody that was not that was just not a close friend at that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're so right in that. I feel like there's so many people from that community that I that they somehow like merged with our DNA at that time. It's like we we knew each other when we were just comedy Larva wriggling around.
Speaker 7: We were performing in an old strip club where sometimes you'd be doing a show and people will get up and leave and you're like, did I do a bad job? Like no, they just thought they were coming to a strip club and were very confused for the first forty five minutes of the show exactly like this is great, but when are they going to take off their clothes?
Speaker 1: I remember there was a basement that you would get to through a trap door basically.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you were the most rookie the wooden staircase all time to get down it.
Speaker 1: And you would go down there and it was like a grotto from from like sixteenth century Paris, wet brick walls, yes, and dirt floor.
Speaker 7: It was a it was a New York City catacomb, if you will that's what it was. Oh, I mean you would see the craziest stuff and it was only one way in and one way out. Wait, somebody was giving haircuts down there, well, haircuts down there and on stage. Yeah, one of the one of the resident teachers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a legend, one of the originals.
Speaker 7: No audience, no audience, really crazy. That should have been its own show, the Haircuts.
Speaker 1: Weirdly, it would have found an audience too, I'm sure, actually more palatable than some of the shows that we did experiment with. Well as as one of the OG podcasters and one of one of the greats in the podcasting is thank you No truly like you've You've got such an awesome niche. It's been so cool to see you do a lot of shows in the studio, you do a lot of shows live on tour. Do you have a preference? I think yeah.
Speaker 7: For me, I think there's something really fun about when it's just Jason, June and I chatting with each other. I think that that's always really a blast and we're not playing for laughs. But when we do it in front of an audience, it's I like the I like the showmanship of it. I like I like getting out in front of an audience. I like finding where the jokes are, finding what they find funny and kind of chasing that because sometimes also it can get almost So what I love about the studio is it's so casual that sometimes you are just having a conversation and maybe that's okay too, but like you forget like oh we got to like hit some more jokes or or that one thing is funny, like and I didn't even think it was that funny. Well, are you ready? I'm thrilled. I'm such a fan of Nephew. The book was great. I loved the podcast.
Speaker 5: This is very cool to be on with you because I was a regular avid watcher of The Daily Show for many many years while you were on, and you're part of the reason why I wanted to be on The Daily Show, admiring your work and John's and Steve and Steven and every Sam. It's just, yeah, this is very cool.
Speaker 1: So thank you. That is so sweet. Go on.
Speaker 5: Yes, Well, another thing that I specifically like about your performance, yes, your everyman likability, your razor.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, this is all get edited out, but I'm loving it. Yeah, so we do have the Daily Show in common, it's been I hate to say this, I'm but it's been almost twenty years since I worked there. Oh my god, it feels insane to me. But you're there now and you've been there a bunch of years and ten.
Speaker 5: Almost ten, which is just crazy too, So badass.
Speaker 1: You guys are. How was this transition?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: When I was there, obviously John Stewart was the full time host and I was sort of a part of a cadre of correspondence and we did focus mostly on field segments and then the studio pieces with John. But now and that's kind of how you started too write with Trevor. Yes, definitely, at a certain point you transitioned into also part of this rotating host formula, which I just think is so cool and I think it's working so well. What was that like? What was that transition? Like? Crazy?
Speaker 5: There was a period of time where we were kind of testing out some different ideas and we didn't really know what was going to happen and who the host was going to be. And then it started to open up a little bit and I kind of threw my hat in the ring and put my hand up and said, hey, put me in Coach, before I could think about it too hard and just by some chance that they would consider me, and then we this format came about and John came back to the show, and yeah, it was It was a little terrifying because you know, being a being a correspondent, it's not an easy job by any means, but you're you are, You're in character, you're so I was very accustomed to being on the show as the character of the correspondent, and when you're hosting, you're basically yourself. So it was a it was a whole other type of type of work and like requires practice and giving it a shot, and so I didn't really know if I could do it. But the team here is so incredible. It's a well oiled machine. Everyone had our backs and we all support one another, and we've got John who could not be a more exceptional leader, and watching him every Monday is like a master class. So to get to try something new, create and something so exciting, and to get to look to him is it's beyond a dream come true.
Speaker 1: I think comedians in general, or comedy people are trained or it's almost like a like an instinct or a reflex to look for snaffoos. Yeah, we're always kind of trying to look under the surface at kind of what's going wrong, and especially at a place like the Daily Show, like you're looking for what's going wrong in order to generate satire. I actually found that I loved it and it was like very invigorating. I felt like I was part of a meaningful satirical voice at the show. But it kind of took a toll on me over a long period of time, focusing entirely on a little bit of the darker side of things. And I wonder if you've ever felt that or felt a sense of exasperation. Yeah, it can sort of like eat you a little bit, that's found.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well, Ed, I'm dead inside, so I feel nothing anymore.
Speaker 8: It is gone.
Speaker 5: I've lost all sense of humanity.
Speaker 1: No, it is.
Speaker 5: It is taxing, It really is, and I think for me, I've kind of gone up and down on it. It's a bit of an emotional roller coaster, a mental roller coaster, because you're right, there's no escaping it. You can't just bury your head in the sand and be like, well, I'm just going to not pay attention to the news today. But I will say I think some kind of action, even for us, even if it's just finding the comedy in it, even if it's just creative action, it feels good to do something and just talk about it, admit that it's happening in a room full of people who can kind of provide catharsis and support and we can talk it out with each other, and then also being forced to find the humor in it somewhere. Is it really therapy? It is redeeming it really and especially this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the Daily Show is is your therapist? Is what you're saying? It totally? Is it totally?
Speaker 8: Is?
Speaker 5: They should be billing me. I'm sure I'll get an invoice in the mail. I pay them to do the show.
Speaker 1: Snafu is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Snaffoo Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company. Post production and creative support from Good Egg Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, Glenn Basner, Andy Kim, and Dylan Fagan. This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our managing producer is Carl Nellis. Our video editor is Jared Smith. Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Additional story editing from Carl Nellis. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by Matt Gosson and the collected Works. Legal review from Dan Welsh, Meghan Halson and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horn, Lane Kleine and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Kerrie Lieberman and Nikki Aetor. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snaffoo, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups. It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to Snaffoo dashbook dot com. Thanks for listening and see you next week.