Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. The headline is the labor market appears to be stabilizing.
Speaker 2: Today, the Bureau of Labor Statistics came out with one of the year's most anticipated data dumps, a report on hiring and firing in January and a revision of the jobs numbers from last year. Molly Smith, a Bloomberg US Economy editor, says that heading into today, economists' expectations had been low.
Speaker 1: We keep seeing these huge job cut announcements coming out of big companies, and that seems to be making a lot of big news and making people really anxious.
Speaker 3: About the job market. But you get a report like this and it's.
Speaker 1: Like, well, there was a lot of really positive things that happened.
Speaker 2: The US economy added one hundred and thirty thousand jobs last month, according to the BLS report, far more than economists were projecting, and the unemployment rate actually dropped to four point three percent. The takeaway the twenty twenty six labor market could be stronger than we thought.
Speaker 1: To see the way that the January numbers came in, not just the beat and hiring, but also the drop and the unemployment rate, which was not expected. Really just showed that the labor market seems to be gaining its footing.
Speaker 2: But Mollie says, the other takeaway is that the labor market of twenty twenty five was weaker than originally reported.
Speaker 1: The pace of hiring originally last year was around forty nine thousand jobs added per month on average.
Speaker 3: The revisions today show that was just fifteen thousand.
Speaker 1: In the world of economics, that's of basically nothing, so that's really not a great number.
Speaker 2: The Federal Reserve will be weighing all these numbers as it sets rates in the months ahead, and Mollie says the odds are now looking better that it will stay the course.
Speaker 3: For the Fed.
Speaker 1: This means that they're fairly justified in holding interest rates right now. You know, there really is no rush to cut interest rates when you have an economy, a job market that seems to be studying the way that it is, and it looked like in hindsight that the time that the cuts that they already made were fairly well timed.
Speaker 2: I'm Sarah Holder, and this is the big take from Bloomberg News Today. On the show, the US labor market shows signs of stabilizing after a really slow year. What today's jobs numbers mean for job seekers, employers, and the fet So let's talk about what the report revealed about the state of the labor market right now. Those January numbers. Where are the bright spots and where are there areas of concern in the January jobs report?
Speaker 3: So I guess you.
Speaker 1: Could call this a bright spot, but also an area of concern was that healthcare continues to dominate hiring and actually have like the most amount of jobs added since twenty twenty, and healthcare dominated hiring last too, really was the majority of all job growth. Ideally, you'd want to see more breadth of hiring and seeing this across more industries. There were some other industries though, that did add jobs, Manufacturing notably first time in a long time that we saw job gains there. We saw federal government continued to cut jobs, not really surprising. That's more or less the industry breakdown. Looking to some other positive aspects, we also get another survey in the jobs report, that is the Survey of households that showed that more people voluntarily quit their jobs, which usually is a sign that you feel pretty confident in your ability to find a new one.
Speaker 3: That number has been.
Speaker 1: Pretty low for the most part. You know, people will feel fairly insecure, don't really think this is a good time, and you know, just up and leave.
Speaker 2: Your job, right the big freeze, Right, that's what people were talking about. People too afraid to leave their jobs. That seems to be changing perhaps.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, another thing economists will always tell you is only one month of data, but if sustained, that could be a sign that maybe things are turning. You saw far less people reported that they're working part time for economic reasons, so that's something that had been climbing. Also a sign, you know, of some financial distress. So that was positive to see that fall.
Speaker 2: And one of the other things that was on people's mind hetting into this jobs report, where are these headline grabbing layoffs? Amazon announced it would be cutting about sixteen thousand jobs in January. The Washington Post, also owned by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, fired more than three hundred journalists. How are those layoffs showing up in the job market right now and are there signs of some industries contracting or were these kind of outliers.
Speaker 1: It's hard to reconcile the two because you see these announcements of layoffs from these big companies you mentioned Amazon Ups was another, and they haven't really translated into actual layoffs in the aggregate for the most part. One thing to note is that announcements are simply announcements. They're not necessarily meaning that people are going to be fired right then and there. Course at the post they unfortunately were. But in a lot of these other companies that can be spread out for months, you know when those actual layoffs might happen. So even though we have had a lot of these announcements, they haven't in the data shown up as far as.
Speaker 3: Actual layoffs will go. Yeah, that's that's really helpful.
Speaker 2: So those kinds of announcements could show up in you know, a March report or an April.
Speaker 3: Report, or they might not show up at all.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was an announcement that was you know, at one point in January. Who knows, maybe things change and they weren't actually enacted.
Speaker 3: When you look back.
Speaker 2: Over decades, job creation has often been tied to a growing economy. Right, is the dynamic any different now? Given the growth of AI, worries that AI is coming for Americans jobs, should these numbers be viewed through a different lens? At all.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously we had a great report today, but I think in general it's absolutely fair to say that, you know, the labor market has absolutely slowed down from you know, those post pandemic peaks, and that we have seen one that has been gradually cooling now for a number of years. Today's does not change that, and it's difficult to then reconcile that with what has been really strong GDP numbers. That you see an economy that is expanding at some of the fastest paces in years, yet the labor market has been fairly slow. The reason why you can look at those things is because the way that GDP is actually calculated has nothing to do with the chop market, which is also why it's a difficult way to measure the US economy. So the economy has been growing as fast as it is in the last few quarters largely because of a virtual in trade policy. You know that there had been such a huge rush at the beginning of twenty twenty five to import as much as companies could ahead of those expected tariffs that did come in April, and the way that GDP is calculated, that would then add to growth when you don't have import activity as strong all else equal, So that's been a lot of what's been keeping GDP so elevated, and that's why it's hard to then look at the job market next to that and see how the two compare well.
Speaker 2: I also want to look closer at some of the revisions. Annual revisions are released every January. The report we got today showed that last year's job market was weaker than originally reported. How much weaker and how do we know?
Speaker 1: So this is where it gets. Also, there's just so many layers to this. There's a few different kinds of revisions that BLS carries out. There's one that was the main headline revision. We call it the benchmark revision, and that has to do with basically incorporating a more accurate, but less timely employment series that is based on actual.
Speaker 3: Unemployment insurance records. So that's it just has a bit of a lag.
Speaker 1: It's a quarterly series, so that one updated payrolls through March of twenty twenty five, and then there's another set of revisions that updates how BLS accounts for businesses that own open and close. The net number between those two that impacts the rest of twenty twenty five, as well as you know, a model that then influenced payrolls beyond that, and then there's also an adjustment of how BLS factors for seasonal adjustment factors.
Speaker 3: So all of those things combined, it's a lot going on. I think the easiest way to think.
Speaker 1: About this is that over the course of twenty twenty five, the average pace of monthly job growth was now fifteen thousand versus initially reported forty nine thousand. That essentially incorporates all of the revisions together, and I think that's the easiest way to think about it.
Speaker 2: How does that stack up historically? How should we think about that number?
Speaker 3: How low is that? It's low?
Speaker 1: It's like I'm trying to that's essentially like the same as like there really was no hiring, Like that's what we would call anemic, you know, un dynamic, barely chugging along like there was like not really a whole lot happening.
Speaker 2: Molly, you've walked us through all the different kinds of revisions that we're looking at in conversation right now. Can you remind us why these revisions happen every year? What new information does the BLS incorporate in this data, right.
Speaker 1: So the big one is what I had referred to as that series that is more accurate but less timely. It's called the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages QCW for sure, and that is really what a lot of people would say is probably like the one of the more accurate series of employment that we get. You know, this is just how statistics work, and that if you want to balance speed and accuracy, you have to accept that as you get more data, that numbers are going to be different. And that's just a trade off that you have to be comfortable with. You want to see the first Friday of the following month what the job's number was. People don't have the patience to wait longer for when more data will come in. So if you're going to demand that kind of speed, you have to then accept that as more data comes in in subsequent months, quarters, even years, that the numbers are going to be revised, and in time that does make the numbers more accurate.
Speaker 2: I mean that speaks to something else that's significant about this report is that the data is backward looking at this point. So what does it mean for how we should be viewing the labor market today? That there was, you know, barely chugging along job growth in twenty twenty five. What does that mean for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Well, it sets the bar a little low for where we're starting from, that's for sure. But if you look at say that now, the average pace of monthly job growth in twenty twenty five was fifteen thousand compared to today's number was one hundred and thirty thousand. Just comparing those two, obviously there's a lot more going on that seems like more than stabilizing to me. I mean, that's like a pretty huge search.
Speaker 2: But guess we'll know next year how that number is revised.
Speaker 1: Well, even see next month how that number is revised and the following month, and again this happens multiple times, so we'll see how that one thirty numbers sticks.
Speaker 3: But as it stands today, I think you can say that.
Speaker 1: Powell did have the right idea when he spoke at the January FED meeting that the labor market does appear to be stabilizing. It's not just the unemployment rate that perhaps hiring two is maybe picking.
Speaker 3: Up a little bit as well.
Speaker 2: So the January jobs report held good signs about the labor market in the year ahead. But with layoffs in the news and affordability a growing concern, how will the public, politicians, and the Fed respond that's next. This month's sunny jobs report doesn't address Americans' persistent concerns about inflation and affordability, and it's not likely to diminish the sense of a vibe session the idea that many people feel like the economy isn't working for them, regardless of what the economic data show. So I asked Bloomberg US econom editor Mollie Smith how she reconciles the strong January jobs numbers with people's current perceptions of the labor market.
Speaker 1: This is what's been really challenging about squaring survey data with what we call hard data, and that the surveys are consistently far more negative than what the actual numbers show. There is a survey that the government conducts that it's a hypothetical. It asks if you had to pay for an emergency four hundred dollars expense, could you do it? And that's something that people have tracked for a long time and how that share has like declined by and large for a while. But there was another survey provider who actually asked people, did you have an expense and were you able to pay it? Now do you think you can? But were you able to? What actually happened? And by and large people were able to pay it. So I think some of that just goes to show that people maybe are more resilient than they report to be and will find a way, you know, we did.
Speaker 2: The other serve that I always look at is how likely do you think it would be to find another job if you were fired tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And that number when it's low, feels really anxiety inducing about the state of the economy. But as you said, you need to kind of match that with the actual odds of finding another job, or people's actual success rates and finding a job.
Speaker 1: Right, like did you actually quit your job and try to find another one or that's just your case sitting here employed today, if you took a guess if you were in that situation. And I think that's where you see a huge divergence in some of these numbers. That's also why the economy as a whole is also still doing really well. That we look at these sentiment surveys, particularly for what it means for consumer spending, which you would think based on these surveys that people aren't spending any money at all, but that's not at all what the actual data suggest, and that spending is still holding up really well, as is the overall economy.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, given the fact that how people feel about the economy really matters politically, I'm wondering what this report means for the Trump administration.
Speaker 1: Well, he did just tweet a post that, you know, great job numbers today, you know, the Golden Ages upon us, everything looks great, which you know is a little bit of like selective attention. I would say on his part.
Speaker 2: He was president all last year that too, but we had a positive aspect of the report to focus on it.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that he was wrong to focus on that, but I'm saying it's a little bit selective and maybe excluding the part of where he presided over twenty.
Speaker 2: Twenty five, right, right, I mean in August, the Bureau of Labor Statistics revised some of its data downward, saying the US economy added fewer jobs than it had previously said, and Trump called the numbers rigged. He fired the BLS commissioner. We talked about it on the podcast, but he hasn't had that kind.
Speaker 3: Of reaction this time, not that I've seen so far. I mean, the day is young. Who knows.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of positives to take from this. But you know, for somebody who has been very critical of this data agency, of the revisions that they make, what it says about the labor market as a whole, it seems to be omitting that entire chunk.
Speaker 3: Of the equation.
Speaker 2: So we're also getting a report on the consumer Price Index, which measures inflation this Friday. How do today's jobs numbers, which are generally better than expected for January change, How we're going to view those inflation numbers? How are you going to put those two numbers in conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, something else that we saw in this job's report today that we didn't get into was wage growth, which was a bit stronger than expected. So you know, usually that is the real engine of course, of like consumer spending, of like what your pay is, and to see then how that might factor into demand for goods and services and how that could infect their prices in January.
Speaker 3: I think that would be the correlation we would look for.
Speaker 2: And I mean a body that will be looking very closely at the CPI data and the jobs data.
Speaker 3: Is the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 2: Of course, what does this job's report mean for the chances that they cut rates next meeting?
Speaker 1: Oh, that was already about zero to say, like a cut form March. That wasn't going to happen coming into this report. The expectation was more around June for the cut tappen at that meeting, But after today, basically that shows that again that like what Pale has been saying that like policy is well positioned right now, we feel like we're in a good place, we can adjust if needed, and that there is no urgency to cut.
Speaker 3: All of that very much validated today.
Speaker 1: You see that the way Trump reacted to the numbers, saying that you know, we had such great job numbers, as you know, we should be playing among the lowest interest rates in the world. It's a little bit more complicated than that that. You know, if you're seeing the job market grow that the way it is, you wouldn't think you would need lower interest rates to support it. And that's how the FED is looking at this.
Speaker 2: In May, we could see a new FED chair. Kevin worsh is Trump's pick for the job. Has worsh responded to these numbers at all. How might this change his thinking?
Speaker 3: I think it's going to make things very complicated for him. You know that.
Speaker 1: Again, there's a lot of time between now and May. He also has to be confirmed first. But basically, he took this job with the understanding that the president wants him to cut interest rates. Obviously it's not just his decision. There's a whole body of policy makers. But certainly the chair tries to rally a consensus and speaks for the entire Central Bank. So Trump did say like that the understanding of like warshaking this job is that he's going to cut rates, and of course Warsh knows that too. The whole country knows that. The whole world knows that this is what Trump wants. The numbers make that again, as we said here today, a bit more complicated. This doesn't look like an economy right now that is calling for any immediate cut to interest rates.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Take from Bloomberg News. I'm Sarah Holder. To get more from the Big Take and unlimited access to all of Bloomberg dot com, subscribe today at Bloomberg dot Com Slash Podcast Offer. Thanks for listening. We'll be back tomorrow,