Speaker 1: Hello, Gorgeous, It's Lala Kent. Welcome to Untraditionally Laala. Hello, gorgeous, it is la La Kent. Welcome back to the bonus episode of Untraditionally Lala. If you grew up in the two thousands, the chances are you were doing the Cinderella Dance in your living room. You were being just like me, watching the TV, being like what I would give to be a Cheetah girl. And today I have one of the original Cheetah girls right here in front of me. I mean, my my little self is freaking the out. And when I saw it, there was like and worry about I was like, I posted about it. I added the song. I played that song for my daughter, she's five. I'm like, you don't even know, you don't even know. I'm about to change your life Ocean. She's like, play it for me, mom, And we listened to the you know, we're Cheetah Girls, Cheetah sisters. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It has been a wild ride and it's I it's crazy. I can't I the people that have reposted. You've got so many people. I met Meghan Trainer recently at I Heart Event, Love It, Love It. We went to some of the Wango Tango, which has been around forever. I went. I grew up in Orange County and used to be at the Angel Stadium. She comes out of nowhere, she's on the red carpet and goes she literally says these words, You're the reason why I'm a pop star.
Speaker 1: I just got chills all over my mom.
Speaker 2: Now body and that is like someone saying that, And I was like, like it was so hard to not like, I know, I'm thinking about.
Speaker 1: It right now.
Speaker 2: Like Megan Trainer, I'm like, girl, are you like, oh my gosh, I can't even And she was like, I used to be Derinda when I played it, and I was just like I looked at my husband and just was like, did that literally just happen? Likely ow?
Speaker 1: I mean that movie did change everything. It did just you know, four girls from very different backgrounds and talking about you know, your how your spots are different. But you guys are sisters. Like I remember watching that and just wanting to be all of you and wanting to find my little Cheetah sisters. I swear to god, you're gonna laugh. We had I had a group of friends that would come over and each of us would be. And you know, everyone wants to be who they relate to, right, sure, And we were the best part of form and record on one of those big things with the tapes. I think I still have the tapes. If I go back to Utah and my mom's storage unit, I could probably find them us dressed like you guys, totally performing doing the whole thing and that.
Speaker 2: Like you said, there was four of us. We were all different. We had different personalities, We had different talents that came to building. Like I was the dancer, right, I was choreographing. That was my my thing eventually, Like Kiely was the design like you know everyone Raven, you know, she was the songwriter. You know. There's just like so many things that like anyone could look and you could go like I want to be Drinda today, but tomorrow I'm gonna be Chanel, right, you know, like you all, there was so many things for people to latch onto totally and see themselves, right And the biggest thing that I will I have zero regrets when it comes to the choices that I've made in my career is like being a part of something that inspired young girls. There were so many girl groups out at that time. Yeah, but we had an amazing opportunity to have storylines that girls could really relate. Like it wasn't just because we were out there and singing songs, but like our songs had meaning, they came to a storyline and it just like the ability to like inspire girls the way we got a chance to do was so unreal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was all about girl empowerment.
Speaker 2: Yes it was, and it still is. You know, I think the movies because my podcast we rewatch all these Disney Channel movies.
Speaker 1: What a Dream?
Speaker 2: And I know that's like my homework is to watch these movies Brink, Johnny Tsunami, the ones I grew up with a smart house, like all these amazing Disney Channel movies, and like some of them don't sit and stick. They don't really they're not relevant. But you watch the Cheetah Girls of Time, and you watch the Cheetah Girls in those messaging and like everything that we go through, it's like they still Like I watched them and was like, I know, for a fact, if I had never been a part of this, this is what I would want my daughter to be watching, to be watching. Yeah, and she does, and.
Speaker 1: She what does she think? About it. Does she think that that's just like the coolest thing on the planet.
Speaker 2: So this I really haven't had a chance to do a ton with her until the last like year or so. I took her to Disney Channel Night. That was wild for her because it was the first time that Channel Night is legitimately like basically cosplay. They there was so many Cheetah girls there. There was Chirls and Lizzie McGuire, all high school musical fans, and everyone shows up can possible outfits, like shows up in the outfits and it's literally Disney for them, like the whole There's there's photo ops, there's different foods. It was such a cool night at Disneyland. And she's sitting there watching She's seen the first one. She understands the track suit and then I went to the bathroom and I put one on. I put my orange track suit. Guys, I had orange. That's always been a thing for me. I haven't gotten over it. Clearly I had to be orange. It's fine because the ones that happened is more of like a nectarine color. I'm trying to make it better. It's not anyway well being forward, But I put on the tracksuit, and when I came out, she was just like it's like she's not really quite understanding the difference right just yet. But then she's seen all these girls come out wearing these outfits and literally that they can't help but go back to when they were younger and craking out united. They want pictures. They're grabbing me and Monroe's just holding my hands so tight, like what is going on? So it was very it's like it's clicking now with.
Speaker 1: Her that it starts clean because she's my daughter's age five.
Speaker 2: Yes, and have you gotten to take her to anything really cool? Like we just got to go to the premiere for Descendants wondering and she was looking around like and she's like mind blowing. My mom got me like and she told everyone, so she's starting to understand. But I'm also trying to say, like we don't have to talk about it that much, like pull it back a little bit. You don't have to tell mommy. Your preschool teacher doesn't need to know mommy's a cheap girl.
Speaker 1: Like don't see, I'd be like, go tell your preschool teacher that mommy is a che's a girl.
Speaker 2: It's so weird, like I'm visiting all of this again, but as a mom, and it's different.
Speaker 1: It's different because you and I grew up in a time where like I understand the people coming and freaking out and wearing, you know, their track suits, because I remember watching Disney Channel and it was such a build up of like the Cheetah Girls premiere is on blah blah blah day, Like there was such a build up of all Now everything's streaming and easy access on the phone, Like you planned your life around when these shows were going.
Speaker 2: To air on Disney Channel, And when the Cheetah Girls came out, it was during an era of the channel that there it was the Disney Channel original movie of the month. Yes, so it was like you were running home to see it on Friday after school on Friday.
Speaker 1: It was always on a Friday or.
Speaker 2: Hearing out like four or five, right, and then for the next month almost.
Speaker 1: It was just on then you can yeah, you can turn it it fourteen times already.
Speaker 2: And I do empathize with the parents that used to come up to us during that day, being like, do you know how many times I've listened to Cinderella? My kid doesn't listen to anything, and now I do, because I'm like everything is they want to perfect princess all the time, like all day, all night. My daughter is listening to this new Descendant song like she just loves it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like when we're in the car.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm like, I'm so sorry for all the parents that had to listen to the gas now we know.
Speaker 1: I'm like, if I have to listen to apt by.
Speaker 2: Oh, then what's the one that oh h O T T O g Oh?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, she hasn't coming not to go. Oh, she hasn't come in contact with I don't think I want.
Speaker 2: To know either, because it's it's different too when there are movements that go through And.
Speaker 1: So she's in the backseat in her car.
Speaker 2: Seat h O T T O g oh, and she's like performing it, and I'm like, and then I can't say.
Speaker 1: Mom when we get home, I gotta get.
Speaker 2: You and tell me Mommy phil me. I'm like, oh my gosh, we have this on recording so many times. Girl, you got it, we got it, we got it.
Speaker 1: She's a little performer. Yeah, she's you.
Speaker 2: She and she looks so much like me when I was little, Like I have like a little mini me. My family watches her and when she does certain mannerisms, like they all just like lose their mind. And then my son is a replica of my husband, so we have one of each.
Speaker 1: That's great. I'd say that's very well rounded family. I have two girls. One of my kids is conceived via sperm donor. Okay, so I get to just say, she's all me me ready.
Speaker 2: I love her and my sister all four of her kids are sperm donors. Really yeah, she's she's gay, got it?
Speaker 1: So that was the only way and the same donor for all the kids.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, and they've even one thing you're I would love to hear more of your process, and I know you've talked about it on your podcast. But one of the things that was very cool while her and her wife were going through the sperm donor process was realizing it's not just picking the person. Then you're in this like community. So they connected with another couple who also used the same sperm donor, and they were just pen pals via like you know, wanting to know. They're like, can we just kind of open it up of like how you're going to explain things later? Like the kids are babies right now, but like at one point like how are you going to explain certain things? And they did it for like, uh, medical reasons of wanting to you know, if there was ever an issue. But they became great friends and then they their families like like my nephew will call their son and daughter like brother and sister.
Speaker 1: That is so cute.
Speaker 2: They're like, yeah, they've they've really And it was crazy to be like I didn't realize thinking about other families like do you open it? Do you is it open? Is it closed? Is it open? At eighteen? All of these things that my sister went through. It was very fascinating to go through it on the outside of her. Absolutely, it was very cool journey.
Speaker 1: It's I cannot explain, I mean. And I asked the cryobank that I went through, I said, you know, how many people come to you guys in my situation because I know, you know, if a woman she doesn't have viable eggs, you know, or a man his sperm doesn't work, stormers ain't working sperm donor couples in same sex marriages. Yeah, they were like, for you, it's like a very very small percentage like women coming in and it being like single mother by choice, so I haven't. Oddly enough, I have one friend who was going through it, but her gay best friend is the donor. Okay, I couldn't get my gay best friends. They were like, I would feel too guilty leaving. I feel guilty leaving ocean. She's not even mine. I'm like, okay, I get it. Yeah, but my biggest thing was like picking a donor first and foremost, because I'm gonna already have a lot to explain, and Los Angeles is very inclusive, right, I don't worry about here, but the outside world. I've seen the comment sections I'm a big, big sinner. I have done my child dirty by not having a dad. Got it. It's like the one thing that I'm like so confident in my decision that there's not much you can say to me.
Speaker 2: People realize the amount of decisions you have to make during that process that when you go through it, you are so confident. You're so confident, you're so I mean the books that we you go, you take it from the donors and and the questioning that they do. They don't just do their mom and dad. It's like eat their dad's mom and dad. Oh, their mom's mom and dad.
Speaker 1: Level of testing that I had to go through. Yeah, the genetic testing. I had like a panel of five hundred. He was like, you didn't get the full one. I'm like, there's more. I like passed out because they took so much blood. I was like, I don't think I can go back there.
Speaker 2: It don't maybe go back wow.
Speaker 1: But what I didn't realize, like your sister was saying, like the questions and how you explain is this is what I'm facing right now with my kids, because we already like there's already this weird thing of Ocean growing up with her dad being a movie producer and all that, Like she sees very a very crazy life. People run up to her and they're like, oh my gosh, Ocean. Yeah, so there's that aspect that we already live in, like a pretty different world which you can relate to. But with Sosa, this is what you're gonna die of the story. I'll make it quick. So I tell Ocean that she can go in when her sister's up, she can go keep her company in the crib. Okay, and for a period of time, Sosa, my youngest, my donor baby mm hmm, kept saying daddy to everybody. And I hear my daughter Ocean say no, so say you don't have a daddy. You don't have a daddy? No, And I was like, oh fuck, I did not think this one through. So we're walking through downtown Palm Springs and Sosa says daddy and Ocean goes into you don't have a dad. Well, then I get protective of Sosa, right, I go, I know she doesn't have a dad. Isn't she so lucky all of her stuff is in one place. She has to be with mom all the time. And my brother Easton looks at me and goes, please do not fuck up your other child while trying to protect Sosa. And I was like, oh shit, I did not see this coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's so you have to find ways to explain stuff, but not you.
Speaker 1: Know, traumatize both of them while trying to protect the other.
Speaker 2: Or just and kids are just they just ask a lot of questions and it can be very overwhelming. My daughter was with our friend and his fiance and they're his child who he has, you know, and she has two mommies And Monroe's like, what's going on here? Yeah, why don't I get two mommies, and I'm like, because her mommy and daddy didn't stay together? Well why, okay, I don't know. I have to sometimes just like.
Speaker 1: Dad is that's why?
Speaker 3: But like these questions that you're just like not ready to explain, and how to explain it without putting someone else down sometimes to explain stuff right like, she I go.
Speaker 2: Isn't she lucky she gets two mommies that love her? And she goes, yeah, but why don't I get that? And I'm like, because I'm all the love unique girls, why.
Speaker 1: Does Susie get two Christmases and I get one?
Speaker 2: Right there? You go, It's so hard to explain. Sometimes you just and you start mumbling, and you as much of a confident adult as you are, they can really strike.
Speaker 1: They school you, humble you.
Speaker 2: Mommy, that's not appropriate. Or something comes on the TV and I have to be so careful because she just she'll stop doing what she's doing, coloring or automatically. And also she's looking and I'm like, oh my gosh, I forgot the show, isn't you know? I'm sorry? Girl?
Speaker 1: Yeah, please don't tell your preschool teacher.
Speaker 2: They know everything they do true and I know that because my husband's mom is one, and so she tells me all the funny stories that these kids come to shit.
Speaker 1: Well, she's got the experience. Yeah, oh my gosh, what I now that should be the reality show because preschool teachers and what they hear. Oh yeah, they would dig that. Oh do you get worried because it sounds like you're your daughter's a little performer? Would you say you were a child star?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Because how old were you when Cheetah Girls came out?
Speaker 2: Eighteen? The Cheetah Girls was my first job that I had without my parents. One of my parents on set with me. Okay, and I turned eighteen like the second day of rehearsal, so I was legitimately like the first time we went to Toronto. I went to Toronto by myself. And yeah, so I was in college. Okay, so you're playing a fifteen year old, yes, yeah, freshman in high school.
Speaker 1: Does it scare you because you've been in the industry. If your daughter does decide to like take the path that you took, is there like a rule that you've set up where if she when she hits a certain age, if she's still into it, you will help her in that direction.
Speaker 2: She's asked about it a lot. The crazy part is, no, I wouldn't be scared. I feel like I watched my parents do it the right way, and I was around other child actors whose parents did it a way that I wouldn't. I wouldn't say the wrong way, but the way I wouldn't want to do it, okay, And I really loved that there was always it was always known if I just woke up one day and didn't want to do it anymore, that I didn't have to. There was no pressure, no even I mean, it was such a big deal even in high school. I came home actually from my freshman year of high school in tears almost every day because I felt like I was missing out on opportunities and auditions because I had to go to school. Wow. Yeah, And my dad was like, I love you, and I don't care that you are trying to grow up too fast. Wow, I want to He always said, I want to take a picture at your senior prom together and not because you're going with someone else at your senior prom. Like, that's what I want for you. I want you to work as much as you we can, but also have a different life. So I was always able to segregate like work life and then come home and be like a normal kid. Be a normal kid, yeah, play soccer or be a dancer. And it wasn't until I actually joined my dance team at school that I finally found like a purpose, Like I felt like I really loved being a part of school. I got to be a part of the school commune versus feeling like I felt like I was like a commuter because everyone would go after school and hang out. I was either going to dance class, or I was coming up to La to do acting, or I was coming up for jobs or you know what I mean. I was doing all that and not because of my parents. My parents would have loved for me to not to be like I don't want to do that. My dad was like, you know, why don't Why don't you be like any other career like you could, you could do whatever you want. He didn't necessarily want me in the industry. He was they was. They were scared about it. They made me. I was a background actor for a long time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I did dance.
Speaker 2: I was a dancer in the industry, so I did you know again, the there was a principal character, and I was dancing in the background and doing things like that because my parents kept thinking, you're going to get bored on set because set is actually very boring for kids, very boring, true word. But kids have the extra have to go to school for three hours exactly. That makes it really not fun because they're just basically doing homework for three out. They're not learning a lesson. It's with the set teacher who has a fourth grader, a fifth grader, a second grader, so they're just basically doing busy work. My parents kept thinking if I was a part of it, I was going to just get over it, and they didn't realize I was like just falling in love with it even more. Even more so, I would support Monroe and or Ledger if he wanted to. He's actually very funny, but it'd have to be I'd have to be able to do it the way that I did it with my parents. And my dad was a real estate agent, so he was able to be on set with me.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great, you know.
Speaker 2: And my mom did a lot of more of the like the paperwork and stuff like that at home, so she he would she would send me with my dad and he I felt took really good care of me on set, like, oh yeah, I never I never went anywhere where he couldn't see me. He protected me a lot.
Speaker 1: That makes me, yeah, really really happy for you. Yeah, because it can get dark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I will say when I was eighteen and given the opportunity to be part of the channel, like the Channel takes really good care of their kids. Like now when we interview for the podcasts that I do, and we talk to the new kids on Zombies and the new kids on Descendants, and I'm like, there's a whole world of like Instagram wasn't around when I was not at all, that whole part of being famous was not really a part of the gig. And you know, the channel gives the We talked to Malachi from Zombies talk to his mom and what it's like to have what's it like to have Malachi? Like holy, does.
Speaker 1: She control the Instagram?
Speaker 2: No? She she did for a long time, but he's eighteen now. I was like, what's that, Like, how did you? And she goes you know, I will say, I'll give it to Disney. They give them education on it. Oh wow, they help them with that. They helped that that aspect of teaching them how to not post when you're there, post after like all those things I feel like kids today don't think about. They get a lot of like help with that, which I think is magical. I think that's just so incredible. Disney's so hands on with that stuff.
Speaker 1: I love that too. Do they do they prep them for the comment section? Because we were talking about the comment section?
Speaker 2: She said they talked. They work with them on like mental health. That's a big, a big thing that they advocate for the channels. So and I will say I believe it one hundred percent because Disney was so hands on and so great they were. It was a really good company to work with, especially with that being my first Yeah, saying that I had to start doing stuff on my own without someone over my shoulder of some sort, so your protector, yeah, watching me and making sure, you know. And he was really great also about he would call it. He would say, let's you know, let's let's go through what happened today, because he wanted me to like talk through what happened with things on set, you know, good or bad? Good or bad? Yeah, you know, things that you saw that you might have not liked, so I didn't understand why so and so got in trouble about this, or I didn't like the way this person was talked to or whatever, or did you see how this person like dad, did you see them handle that scene? Wow? What a bad ass. Yeah, you know, so we got to go through and he would He loved for me to be able to kind of say it to me because when I was going home, I wasn't going home. I didn't have a friend group of actors, people that up to playing soccer. I had friends that were baseball or you know, or didn't didn't have an outside activity from school. You know, I had people that like couldn't understand like the LA life totally and the work, And they couldn't understand why I was wanting to work. They didn't understand that.
Speaker 1: When you could chill like you got your whole life to work.
Speaker 2: Yes, they could not understand that, and so they couldn't understand that I loved it. I just loved it.
Speaker 1: Right, that's where you were thriving. You knew that you wanted to be in that environ at all times. Yeah, so when you you obviously came to LA, you auditioned for the Cheetah girls you auditioned in LA or no self tape? No was there self tape back then?
Speaker 2: There were for people like that were like in Texas. Texas was a pretty big place for kids.
Speaker 1: I feel like, send in like an actual tape for like, why am I having this memory of a friend sending in like a real life tape.
Speaker 2: They might have, I mean you, But like it wasn't as common LA. Everyone was auditioning.
Speaker 1: Like, if you wanted to audition for movies, you need to move to Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: I would say, that's what kids do. There's a there used to be a thing, and I think it's probably still relevant where it was called pilot season and it would be like the month the months of January, February, maybe like March, and people would move to LA and live in oh Man. Will would tell me, I forget. There was like a certain condo area that everyone who lived that was out of town would live in this apartment complex and you would just be there strictly to come an audition for three months or whatever your parents could do, and hopefully book a pilot. And if you booked a pilot, then you filmed the pilot and then it got picked up or it didn't you.
Speaker 1: Talking about this puts a pit in my stomach because I remember being in Utah and wanting to be an actress and it was me and my friend and she was much more driven, and she would come out for pilot season and I remember like wanting to do that because I needed to do it, but it felt very uncomfortable for me and coming out during pilot season and not really grinding like my friend was grinding, and feeling guilty that I didn't have the drive and the grind that she had. She ended up moving full time and missing high school. I ended up staying back as my parents were.
Speaker 2: Like, we really need you to just be a kid.
Speaker 1: And I was like that that when you say that to me, the pit leaves my stomach. Yeah, that I can do.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you had those opportunities to do that, because I feel like the kids that that don't they There's at some point like I feel I just feel like what goes into my work now and now I'm doing like podcasting and stuff. All the experiences that I had, right, it was that age, right, Yeah, And then of course the experience when I had when I booked the Cheetah Girls and I mean, but it it was tough and not This is my part point going back to Monroe. I don't know if there's an age, but it will be something that I need to make sure she has the tough skin to be able to do what it is that kids do in the industry and audition and take the nose because you get a hundred nose before you get a callback, and then you get a hundred callbacks before you get a second callback and the screen testing to be able to go. They didn't. It could be as simple as they want a redhead. They don't want to they don't want a brunette. Right, It's as simple as that they want brown eyes and they don't want blue.
Speaker 1: Like I can put in contacts, I can change my hair color.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, you're like, wait what, I'll change myself right, Like, but like to not let to not let those nose affect you. And she's too little for me to know if she's that total or not. And until I know and feel confident that she can take a no and it not affected me, I was like, you're bad. Yeah, I would have been great for this role, like I had that kind of Yeah, I'm like, there was it was just and my dad would say when I'd get frustrated, because like, go back to pilot season. There was the year before I booked The Cheetah Girls, I was in three pilots that didn't get picked up. Wow. Yeah, I was in Bold and the Beautiful. I had a recurring role, but my character didn't get the contract. My girlfriend's character did. And to take those hits and there's a time where you know, I like again, I had really great open communication with my parents and my dad was like, Sabrina, I'm telling you right now, I can feel it. It feels like there's a train approaching us and it's just gonna take that one yes for you to just ride and go. And I was like, okay, Like on the days that I'd get frustrated, and I get us that because there were roles that I really wanted, you know, and you don't get those roles all the time. So when the Cheetah Girls came out and this character Derinda and I auditioned for all four. So that's what they did with the Cheetah Girls. Oh, they came in.
Speaker 1: You auditioned for all you.
Speaker 2: Everyone auditioned for all four and was praying for obviously wanting to get Galleria because it was the lead, but I really felt like Derinda was mine.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was one of those I'm like, I could sing, I could dance, I could put me in a room. I will outdance anyone that else comes in, Like I was. I just like felt like this was my role and I was going to prove that it was my Like I just had that vibe right And then but I auditioned for Chanel and Aqua didn't. I think I might have gotten a callback maybe when I went in and I probably I think I auditioned for Channel and Derinda on the callback, okay. And then this was the fourth callback was when there's this Burbank building for the Channel that used to have everything and the top floor, like the floor twenty one is where the auditions happened. Okay, and you get out of that that elevator and it's like the whole time. I just was there and literally in forty A just was there, like and I got the stomach bubbles going the elevator because this was when you got to that floor that was where the decisions were made. Oh my gosh, and you'd be in a room and hard racing. You're just telling the story. Most auditions, you're in a room with everyone that looks like you if you're when you get to callbacks, like, it's everyone Derinda. They didn't know what ethnicity they wanted. They didn't know because she was a foster child. At that point, Raven was already in the room. This was like the final callback where they were starting to put us together. Uh Beyonce's little sister.
Speaker 1: So long, don't even get we started on. Sele comes through.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting in the chair and she comes through, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Did you die?
Speaker 2: I would have died, but I had kept it cool. So I feel like this was my face, which I thought was probably as good as I could get.
Speaker 1: And I was like, were you intimidated as it?
Speaker 2: Yes? Then Adrian by Alone comes back. Oh yeah, one of the most gorgeous girls I'd ever seen. She looked like she had no makeup on, just like some some blush.
Speaker 1: Yeah she probably didn't.
Speaker 2: Her hair was like curly, but like in a like backpas stunning And I was.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, see that's the worst. I'm like, I wish I had had a battle in our own little boxes so that I can't see the competition, because then I'm like that, but I knew.
Speaker 2: I was like that, she's that girl's going for Schanelle. Like new heard from one of the other girls that came out that Raven was in the room, and I was like, oh, this is They're looking for just Derinda Like this is so at that point I think they had they had at least in their mind who the rest of the three girls where they were just looking for my part. And I just remember being like, okay, you got this, please love God get this, Like this is it right? And we went in and then they I did a scene. I had a dramatic scene for the movie where I was explaining none of my friends knew I was a foster child. Yeah, that's the scene I auditioned with.
Speaker 1: Oh I got chills again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I was not performing the scene as dramatic as what we ended up filming. And the director Oz Scott was like, I feel like you could give me more. I want to see what it would be like to for you to not have the parents that you have. What how would you think this girl would be what would she be going through? And I went okay, and me and Adrian I swear we did the scene almost exactly the way we filmed it in.
Speaker 1: That so she was in me and that is who you were auditioning with.
Speaker 2: And he was like, go there, let me see you go there. You can do it.
Speaker 1: I can, I can tell you can do it. I was like, okay, And you know, that's always such a good sign. I remember my very first acting class. They were like, if someone in the room, like the director tells you to redo it, it's not because you did a bad job. It is because they know you have something. You're tweakable and mouldable.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Yes. And that was my audition. And then I got to dance, and that's when and.
Speaker 1: That's when you thrive. You broke it down, little girls.
Speaker 2: I'll show showed everything I could do.
Speaker 1: What song did you audition to? Do?
Speaker 2: You remember I had a couple. I had Broadway song. I was more Broadway trained than I was pop star trained. I didn't work on like Britney Spears songs or Sineaguilera. I'd come in with like a Broadway side or a Disney song like river What's the River Bend from Pocahontas was a song belt in it and I loved the belt. And then there was a Liza Minelli's song I Forget but pretty pretty city Lights and she hits this really high note in it. So that's what I would try to do, is show my range. And so I came in probably with Pocahontas, and then I did that song and and.
Speaker 1: You were like, but then.
Speaker 2: Like's and this, and you opened your eyes to just exacts like that was great, like wow, okay, so I didn't move anyone. Okay, They're like in the room with hearing over and over these songs of kids, you know, like a weather around the road, and what was well, I will say I remember is was always the worst of going into and having to be a dancer and them just putting on a track and going okay, like let's see you more.
Speaker 1: So with the dancing, they picked the song they would.
Speaker 2: Just put on a track, or you could bring a song that you would like, but I didn't really care. You could put anything.
Speaker 1: On the worst because I go straight into the fizzle face.
Speaker 2: Now, oh I.
Speaker 1: Get it right.
Speaker 2: Most you'd be the what most kids do. They're learning TikTok dances, and that's the face that you do in a TikTok.
Speaker 1: These kids don't know that face is mac dre. Let me tell you so, yeah, why don't. I'm obsessed with everything you just want.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever gone that dove that far into that whole thing. But anyway, for you and you hear nothing, nothing. Months go by, Audish agent hasn't heard anything. And you know, I'm off to college. I'm at Chapman and I'm in the dorm like.
Speaker 1: Living normal, like mom and dad wanted yev.
Speaker 2: And then I got, you know, a job at a tanning salon, like like one does.
Speaker 1: Wow in college disorients, I was saying.
Speaker 2: And I then Debah Martin Chase, the producer, called me, and I was at my tanning salon and my phone rang, you know, and it was where it was probably should have had it, but at my phone rang and Debra's calling, and I like looked at my managers, like this is the movie from the Cheeta Girls, that thing I told you I filmed. She's calling me and she's like hey, and she goes, what does it feel like to be like a double platinum artist? And I was like, guys, I'm not sure what does that mean? And she goes I mean, your guys' album just went double platinum, Sabrina, I'm like, oh, like.
Speaker 1: You've rolled back up to the person you were like, So I'm quitting because this doesn't make it. I can't be double platinum and then checking people in for their spray tands. No, ball, I actually want to test your Disney knowledge with our rapid fire.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Favorite Disney Channel show that wasn't yours?
Speaker 2: Okay, favorite Disney Channel movie would be Johnny Tsunami.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: He was so hot and I love love Brandon. He's still the sweetest. We got to interview him, you know he you know what his main job is right now? He is a plea.
Speaker 1: He's a surf instructor. No, wouldn't that be amazing? No?
Speaker 2: He what is it called? He marries people? He's oh he's an efficient Yes in Colorado? Wow, could you imagine if you had Johnnysunami?
Speaker 1: Yes, I can. I'm doing it. I don't know who I'm.
Speaker 2: I was a huge fan of The Mickey Mouse Club, like I'm talking justin Timberlake day. Yes, Brittany Christina so good. Gosh, so many really.
Speaker 1: Do make dreams come true, don't they? Favorite Disney movie of all time?
Speaker 2: Ooh, man, I really loved Cinderella with Brandy. Do you remember that Roger Hammer sign and Winney Houston?
Speaker 1: Watching that, I thought it's my gosh. And George Costanza, he plays the whatever. Let me tell you. I remember. I thought my mom was going to surprise me with the movie. She didn't come home from Hollywood Video with it, and I remember hitting her. I was, where is my Cinderella movie?
Speaker 2: Promised? Man?
Speaker 1: Then I had to work to earn it all right, But you know what I did.
Speaker 2: I would say definitely top five. I don't know if I can like nail it down. I really am digging the movies. I love Moanna. I haven't seen the live action so good. I don't care what anyone says. You don't talk to me about the rocks, uh Wig, don't care.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 2: Maui he's he's Maui and he's the rock.
Speaker 1: He's nothing without his I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that yet, but I bet you that will probably be Ocean.
Speaker 1: Just found out that her name is Mowanna in Hawaiian and she tells everybody. Do you have a favorite Disney villain?
Speaker 2: Ooh? Always loved the one Dalmatians Duella, and then.
Speaker 1: I like the old lady with a war on her nose and snow White. Snow White's scary. She's terrifying, scary, She's so.
Speaker 2: Scary on the ride Disney Disneyland. Have you been on it in a while. Yes, they've redone it and they've made her terrifying. It's crazy. Yeah, it is crazy. I can't go.
Speaker 1: I can't watch No White because it terrifies.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Pinocchio ride is even worse though.
Speaker 1: But Disney Princess, favorite Cinderella, Okay, favorite Disney Channel theme song that.
Speaker 2: Is so hearn ooh, Mickey mouse Club again.
Speaker 1: I really liked the Kim Possible and Proud Family. That's when I felt in love. Was so launch because if you remember, on Disney Channel, they would show you the making of the songs and they'd show the girls in the studio making the Proud Family theme song. Wow, she did it with Beyonce, she did it with Disney's Child.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I don't think I ever knew that. I can't wait to say that on my own podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah take it. If you could voice any Disney character, who would it be?
Speaker 2: Wow? Probably Ariel. Really, yeah, I love that that movie I loved so much.
Speaker 1: I'd want to be the seagull. Oh yeah, al.
Speaker 2: Whoa what a swim?
Speaker 1: Which Disney Channel character would be your best friend? Los Siena guy Boulevards from Brown Family? I love her?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Yeah. Oh, I think I think Daisy seems like a rider die.
Speaker 1: I think the duck Duck looks like she's a rider die Like she's okay, she did this answer?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that she she would really jump in front of something for Minnie Mouse, like she'd jump in front of a bus for Minie Mouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mickey Mouse is kind of a narcissist. I feel like my Disney like ears are raining.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you said that about Mickey.
Speaker 1: Oh dare you? I give a lot of unpopular opinions. We're so happy by the way of this reboot, I'm what is it called a reboot? What do you call?
Speaker 2: So what it's going to be doing is really it's going to introduce a whole new group of Chetah girls. Oh my gosh. So it'll be interesting to see if they grab onto these characters the way that they have for the the OG movies. Right right. I don't know. I would hope so I think the messaging, if it's the same, will still resonate with kids. But like, I feel like some of the fans are like, you know, what it seems like is that there's it's going to be interesting. I don't know. I don't know. I think you're any like nervous energy because I'm like I would hate for like, I want the fans to love whatever the Cheata Girls is going to be.
Speaker 1: I think they are because if you think about the kids who were watching you guys, for the most part, we've all become parents. Now it's going to be the new wave. Our kids are going to be obsessed with this, this new you know, Cheated Girls, and then we can say, oh my gosh, this movie came out when we were kids, and then we can go back and watch like I'm on this kick right now where like Ocean as far as music goes, like we're listening from every like everything from like Bob Marley, Whitney Houston, Appa, Tapa two, whatever, Yaba Dabadoo or Drake. She loves Janish Stfu. She's like, mom, that says bad word, I'm like ignore it, Like well, routed, and we're going back and watching Disney movies that came out when I was, you know, a young kid, so like The Smart House. She just watched Life Size for the first time with Tyra Banks. She's obsessed. Her sister, her older sister called me, who's stepsister? She was like, what is this movie? That ocean is talking about a Barbie that comes to life with a twin And I'm like, oh, Life Size a twin because we watched Parent Traps, so she thinks that that girl's actually a twin. So that's how I imagine it's going to go down. And I think it's gonna be a huge freaking success, and it's going to be such a cool moment for people who watched the original to be able to say like, oh, just wait, I'm going to show you how it all started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're doing different they're also backing it up again with a whole round of touring. So when we were our move, like I said, Disney wasn't even expecting us to be like this like force of music, right, They, like I said, they didn't at first think they were doing a soundtrack, then they did. They learned a whole lot from it, and they came out with High School Musical. Right. Like I said, we did a tour for the for Christmas and we just did like a theater tour and sold that out. And so then after we were doing the second movie, it was like, you guys are going to go on tour and we're going to promote the movie and the album and do a whole tour. We did that tour for like seven or eight months. It was only supposed to be four months, but we sold our numbers were doing so well. They had us like going back and doing those like cities again and it was like they saw touring was like just so successful, right. And the parents. What's great about the touring for us was you've got parents who have one kid or two kids, and now this is getting to be their first concert and the parents are getting the bandana and the glow stick and the our merch records were just going razy because they're getting it for them.
Speaker 1: Like, by the way, I need a Cheetah Girls shirt. I love me a merch shirt.
Speaker 2: I'll see if I can find one.
Speaker 1: Oh, if you can send it my way, I will, I.
Speaker 2: Will, I'll see if I can find one. What's cool now is they're doing these records like albums.
Speaker 1: Like like a throwback, like the ones that.
Speaker 2: Go on like the record a vinyl thinking they've got vinyls now for the first movies. So then they went. But what we were doing is it was a Cheetah Girls tour and a high school musical tour. Miley said, you want to hear something crazy? I just can't. The Jonas Brothers were our opening opening act on our Christmas tour. They were driving did you watch their doc Holli? They drove around and like a twelve person van. They were in that van like going behind like our tour bus. Al was our open So they opened for Ali and aj who opened for us. Isn't that crazy? That was before they had really that was like kind of part of their beginning into getting into the channel.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Why Miley Cyrus opened for that second tour for us. Vanessa Hudgens opened for us, an artist who was so adorable. Jordan Pruitt opened for us. We had this great talent coming and opening for us and then going on their own tour. So all the tours were segregated. Now they're doing these like World Collide, so you can go, I'm going to take Monroe if you want to go in, Okay, tell me one. I want this Sibby Monroe's first concert. It's gonna be camp Rock three Kids, Descendants Kids and Zombies Kids, and they do full blown shows. They'll have production, they'll be amazing, they'll be my gosh, we're going.
Speaker 1: You are going. But I have the time of my life talking to you. I'm going to go home tonight. I'm making popcorn with my daughter with Eminem's in the bed, just because I told her we're doing it on a night that I can make the popcorn. We do popcorn in the bed like every night, and I was like, I need a little break from the popcorn in but tonight's the night.
Speaker 2: But it is always there in the morning, and you're like rolling around in the right.
Speaker 1: That's exactly how it is. So I very much appreciate you coming on Traditionally.
Speaker 2: This was so incredible. When I got the call, I couldn't believe it, and I was like, when and.
Speaker 1: Where, when and where and here we are. We brought her all the way from the O C right. I'm so grateful you guys, Thank you for listening to another episode of Untraditionally. La La I'm gonna catch you guys next week. Bye.