Speaker 1: The volume. The NBA Finals are almost here and every play could be the one that changes everything. This is the NBA Playoffs where heroes rise, legacies are built, and the action never lets up. And with DraftKings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA, you don't just watch the madness, you live it. Back your favorite team, ride with your clutch, time killer, bet on the buzzer beaters, the breakout performances, the game winning threes, from player props to same game parlays. This is how you take your fandom to the next level. The New York Knicks, after beating the Celtics are up to plus three sixty, is the second best odds to win the title. Surprisingly, the Pacers back at plus six hundred because my initial thought on that series is I want to pick the Pacers. But some interesting championship oods right now. New to the game, no sweat, Download the DraftKings Sportsbook, gap bet just five dollars and if your bet wins, you'll score three hundred dollars in bonus bets. It's that easy. I don't know the DraftKings Sportsbook app and use code hoops. That's code hoops hoops for new customers to get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. When you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings, the crown is yours. Gambling problem called one hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and why to four six seven three six y nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort. In Kansas twenty one plus age in eligibility varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see DKG dot co. Slash audio. All right, welcome to hoop tonight. You're at the vall you hav me Wednesday? Everybody, oh of all, you guys are having a great start to your week. Just the absolutely batshit crazy game in Madison Square Garden. I cannot believe what I just saw. I don't know what kind of voodoo the Indiana Pacers have been engaging in but apparently you've got to beat him five times in two weeks to send him home. Because for the third consecutive series, trailing by at least seven in the final minute, Tonight, trailing by eight in the final minute, the Pacers have won a game out of the jaws of defeat. I just cannot. I looked over at my wife as the last free throws were being shot by the Knicks, and I looked at her and I said, there's no way they do this again. There's absolutely no way they do this again. And they did it again, and in just comical fashion, as Tyrese Haliburton is dancing in the middle of the floor and then just deciding to cover fifteen feet backwards towards the top of the key, the shot off the heel that goes way up in the air, and the entire basketball world just freezes and all of us we're thinking the same thing. We're like, that kind of went straight up in the air, that's got a chance to come down, and it came down, and the Pacers are up one oh in the Eastern Conference Finals. On a night I was talking with Shane, Shane's works on our show. He's a Knicks fan. There is so much to be confident and excited about. If you were a Knicks fan coming out of that game and you lost, you're down one zero in the series. I can't believe it. So many interesting things to get into. You guys, owe the drill before we get started. Subscribed to the Hoops Toight YouTube channels. You don't miss any more of our videos. Follow me on Twitter at underscore Jason LTC. You guys, don't miss show announcements. Don't forget about a podcast feed wherever you get your podcast on our Hoops Tonight. It's also super helpful if you leave a rating and a review on that front. Jackson's doing great work on our social media feeds Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok. Make sure you guys follow us there for content throughout the year, and then keep dropping mail bag questions in the YouTube comments. We're going to take about ten to fifteen minutes of questions at the tail end of the show tonight. That's where you guys can decide which direction you guys want to go in terms of digging into some of the deeper details of the series. And then when we wrap up here tonight, we're going to be migrating over to playback playback dot tv slash Hoops tonight where we have our after show. It's a lot more informal. We take callers, we take questions from the chat, we watch film, we hang out, we talk shit. It's just a fun basketball talking, you know, kind of hangout hour that we have after the show. So come hang out with us on playback when we finish up later tonight. What a bizarre game, I feel, like, you know, it's so funny. I joke with the people that, you know, the in my friends and family that asked me what my job is, like, I was telling them, like, the craziest thing is these live reaction shows, because like you're trying to piece together all these things that happen in the game. And so obviously I prep a lot for my job. So I put together extensive prep for how I'm going to tell the story of the basketball game. And then the Indiana Pacers three times in this postseason have made me just rip that up and throw it away as they turn what looks like a very different game into a PACER's win. It's absolutely unbelievable, and everyone knows everyone who's been following this Pacers team in this postseason run knows they literally never stop playing. You are not done with the Pacers until the final buzzer sounds. There is no relenting, there's no letting go of the rope. Every single time you make a basket or miss a basket, they're picking you up full court. Every single time you go get a basket, they're taking even if you make it, they're taking it out and they're trying to push the ball ahead, first available kick, ahead pass, first available advantage. They're hunting it, they're looking to attack quickly, feeling as though their ball pressure will wear you down, feeling as though they will be able to win the large sample battle. And for the record, like even though there was a lot of really encouraging stuff on the Knicks front, we'll get into it, I thought Jalen Brunson looked exhausted in overtime. They had a couple he had a couple of buckets, but they had a couple of grifts that he got rewarded with four foul shots in overtime that you could tell, especially on the last step back three, the one before the offensive rebound. He did not get a lot of lyft on that shot, and he left it way short. And that's the game that the Pacers play. It's a wear and tear game. It's a leaning on depth kind of game. Like even with the overtime period tonight, only two Pacers actually went over forty minutes. They will wear you down. They never stop again. Ask Cavs fans. They had him dead to rights. Max Drus gets a huge three point shot, They're up seven, doesn't matter, Game's not over. The Bucks Gary Trent Junior three after three, after three, it doesn't matter. Games not over. They play with such a furious pace and they're so capable of getting insanely hot. Aaron Nei Smith, that is one of the greatest heat checks you'll ever see in an NBA playoff game. Six threes in the final five minutes. Every single one of them was tough on the move. One of the things I've been talking a lot about with respect to Anthony Edwards is a trend that I expect to see really take over in the new NBA, in the future of the NBA, which is seeing supreme athletes become great shooters. It didn't used to be that way back in the day. It used to be the supreme athletes didn't work very much on that. It was even denigrated in the lower levels of basketball. Is settling. If you were a good athlete and you took a three, you were wasting an opportunity to use your athleticism going towards the basket. We are seeing guys like Ant rise and fire and hit tough shots because they have ridiculous athleticism. When you combine the shot making with the ability to get lift in separation, it's deadly. And it didn't matter what the Knicks did with Aaron E. Smith down the stretch, he just rows up, got his lift and then right at the top, just that flip of the wrist. That's where his muscle memory comes in. I and Aaron E. Smith is one of several Pacers players that has just made these minuscule improvements year over year each of the last few years, and they're all just better basketball players now than they used to be. And then Tyre's Halliburton. We talked about it going into this playoff series. As great as Jalen Brunson has been and he's been the best clutch player in the NBA this postseason, Tyre's Halliburton has been right there behind him, and he has a tendency to It's been much lower volume than Brunson butt like just unbelievably high efficiency. He just keeps making every single big shot at the end of games that needs to be made. He seems to be very comfortable operating there in the middle of the floor. Oh my god, I just can't believe it, guys, I just can't believe it. All a very interesting flow. Obviously, the Pacers come out red hot, hitting every single shot they take. I think they start the game eight for eight. Then Mitchell Robinson checks into the game and is just a human wrecking ball, grabbing a ton of offensive rebounds, providing some vertical spacing and ball screens. Is good, great work on defense, throwing guys around. With this physicality, the Knicks kind of regain control of the situation and they kind of stiff arm the Pacers in that you know, three to seven point range for a good chunk of time going into that early fourth quarter stretch we did see as both offenses were very comfortable in the first half, we saw both defenses shift to a lot more switching in the third quarter, which got rid of some of the natural openings that were existing for both teams, and both teams started to struggle to score the basketball, and all of a sudden, TJ McConnell drives on Jalen Brunson along the baseline, Pump fakes, catches a swiped down on his right arm and picks up Brunson's fifth foul, and it's ninety four to ninety two with about ten minutes left, and the Knicks just completely took over the game from there. Ognanobe giving buckets to Ben matherin a step back three, an aggressive move in the lane, Carl Anthony Towns draws a foul, and a transition cross match from aaron Ne Smith as he's trailing to play in transition. Duce McBride a smart cut to the top of the key draws a foul. Carl Anthony Town's another left shoulder hook over Siakam. He kicked Siakam's ass during that stretch. All of a sudden, we look up and the Knicks are up by sixteen points. It's one eighteen to one oh two. Pacers don't really have anybody in rhythm. You know, the game's not over at that point, but at the same time, the Pacers were, or the Knicks were able to kind of stiff farm him until that five minute mark, and it looked like they were going to get out of there with the wind, and then all of a sudden, Aaron Nee Smith just every single time down the floor. The crazy thing is is the Knicks were getting buckets during that stretch. Brunson beating Ben Shepherd straight iso at the top of the key, Karl Anthony Towns anice little semi transition attack off the left wing, gets a layup. They were scoring and it didn't matter because the Pacers were scoring every single time down the floor. I did think in overtime that the Pacers started getting better shots. Now the Knicks looked very much shell shocked. They legitimately looked shell shocked. I don't blame them. I was shell shocked and I wasn't even playing in the game. But like the Pacers did in overtime get quality looks in their offense, the Knicks kind of degraded down to Jalen Brunson iso ball. I thought the play that Andrew Nemhard made on that kind of decoy action. The Knicks come out of a time out, they run like a decoy action on the right side of the floor for McHale bridges, and they have Brunson kind of fly all the way through to the opposite side and Andrew Nempar jumps it and just gets in the passing lane into the ball. It ends up going off of Brunson's fingers out of bounds. You guys, saw just how relentless Indiana's ball pressure is. There were two plays towards the end of regulation where they nearly turned the ball over. That play where Josh Hart kind of tripped and fell and he somehow managed to recover to the ball. Jalen Brunson gets trapped on that first inbounds right by the baseline and while he's falling out of bounce, has to rifle a bounce into the back into play to try to give his team a chance. And thankfully og In and Obi had to be there. But the Knicks kind of lost their composure against Indiana's ballpressure. And here's the thing, guys, It goes back to that point that I was making earlier, as it pertains to the Pacers just never stopping from the very first possession of this game. The Pacers weren't just full court pressuring Jalen Brunson. They were denying him on the inbound. They were trying to get in front and prevent him from getting the ball at all. Whatsoever. It is not like they started doing anything unique or different down the stretch in terms of their pressure. It's the same shit they were doing all game. A few more traps obviously in the back court when they got especially desperate, but most of it is just ball pressure, ball pressure, physicality, jumping passing lanes, trying to turn you over and again, it is a forty eight minute job. This is not the first time they've done this. Even if you pull away from the specifics of the last minute comeback, they have multiple large deficit comebacks in this postseason run. They Game five in Cleveland, they were down what forty eight to twenty four or something like that in the first half, and they ended up losing that game. Like they just never stopped coming at you. It is a team wide dynamic that manifests almost as though it goes beyond what you see on paper. With the talent with this team. I just was completely blown away tonight. I think the dynamic that this series is going to swing on is the ability to contain the basketball. This is where I want to get into some of the stuff that there is some encouraging stuff. If you're a Knicks fan, you now have to beat the Pacers five times. That's going to be a pain in the ass, but you do have the tools with which to do so. I thought that with exception of really overtime, I didn't think the Pacers had any sort of extended stretch of defensive success against the Knicks. And again overtime, the Knicks were shook in the first half a lot of traditional coverages. You guys want to know why Miles Turner sat out the majority of the second half of this game and then played all of what ninety seconds in overtime before Carlisle pulled him again. The Pacers were running a lot of traditional coverages, especially to start the game, and Miles Turner was doing a god awful job defending the screener and the ball. There was a play where do Bride got an early layup in this game where he was like hugged up to Mitchell Robinson up at the top of the key. In general, the Pacers were trying to account for Cat and his catch and shoot threes by staying off of that that ball handler and ball screens, and you were just seeing Brunson get downhill over and over and over again. Mckaal Bridges was getting into the paint whenever he wanted to. Brunson you could tell feels immensely comfortable against Nemhart and Nie Smith relative to Drew Holliday. I think one of my big thoughts coming out of this game was some contender needs to be reading the tea leaves here and identify that Drew Holliday is one of the most impactful defensive players in the postseason and jump on that guy because he could come in and instantly raise the ceiling of your defense because Brunson and Nemhart and Nie Smith are too very good on ball defenders and Jalen Brunson is just too big and too strong for them. The big thing I noticed was in those ball screen actions when brun and someone was going over the top, that automatically put the on ball defender into the sidecar or into the back position right trailing or in that like kind of jail and on the hip sort of position. And Brunson was just very easily able to kind of bump guys off in that position and get all the way to the rim. Then in the second half when they started going into more switching and that there were still some traditional schemes that both teams were still like trying not to switch if they could, but if anybody got hit by the screen, they were willing to switch. In that second half, and in that second half, same sort of thing. It didn't matter who it was. Brunson was able to get to his spots against his primary defender. And so there's some encouraging stuff on the Knicks front where I do feel like they're going to be able to score the ball effectively and consistently in this series. On the flip side, I thought that they had some extended stretch of successful defense against the Pacers. So for instance, in that big run that the Knicks had while Jalen Brunson was off the floor, they had success in switching and in their traditional schemes. You guys remember that play where duce McBride blocked Pascal Siakam on the dunk, traditional coverage, Siakam slips pocket pass, Siakam takes off and there's a rotation from duce McBride off the baseline, a huge blocked shot. A couple possessions later, they run like a little you know, wedge screen to try to get Siakam a little separation before he sets the ball screen for Halliburton. Halliburton gets down into the lane, Josh Hart nail help off of Nie Smith, nice kickout, and Josh Hart just throws a crazy close out at eron Nie Smith and nearly blocks the shot and gets a stop. A few possessions later, they straight up switch a ball screen hat ends up on Halliburton, he gets a stop. They had some extended stretches where they were able to get stops against the Pacers in both their switching scheme and in their traditional scheme using just chaotic rotations. So again, when the Knicks hang onto the rope and they're very where he invested mentally and physically, they can be really physically overwhelming for this Pacers team and rotation, especially on the glass. A lot of interior matchup hunting. It wasn't just cat going at Siakam or Cat going at Turner. There was a stretch there with og Andnobi went at Ben matherin a couple times in a row, was just able to power right through him and get to where he wanted to go. And I mean a lot of this comes back to what I said before the series about the Knicks, which is like, there was a reason why most Knicks fans I talked to after the Pistons series didn't really like the team. Most Knicks fans I talked to throughout the season were like, this isn't the same kind of like character team that we saw last year when it was you know, Isaiah Hartenstein. It was a different team right at that point in time. And the reason why was there was frustration with the Knicks and their ability to consistently execute on both ends the floor, their ability to hang onto the rope mentally and physically, and in this game, it's these brief stretches where they're just not leveraging their gifts to the ability that they're capable of, and the Pacers will quite literally never let go of the rope. And so there's just so many different things there. There are so many different things there to learn from this game if you're the Knicks, which is that like you cannot let up even for a second in this matchup. Let's get into some other notes around the series. So a couple things the Knicks rebounding. I think you could see a real perimeter size mismatch in this particular series. So for instance, ogn Andob McHale bridges, even when you get down to Josh Hart and Douce McBride, there is like a size athleticism advantage in terms of just like vertical ability on the perimeter for the Knicks. There's no doubt that the Pacers have speed, and that that speed can be a problem in different ways, mainly just the pace that they're able to play with just furiously throughout the entire game. But when it comes to some of those battles in the vertical plane, the Knicks can win a lot of those battles, and I thought that that was pretty clearly evident in Game one. I did think that Brunson was more capable to more capable of compromising the defense and getting into the paint over the Lion's share of the game than Haliburton was, even though we can acknowledge that Halliburton was better in the overtime period. I thought I thought a classic Caliburton sequence and that overtime was that drop off pass to Nemhard cutting off of the slot. Just a reminder with Halliburton that he's going to score, but he will quite literally never miss a read if the red is there. It's just like programmed into his brain to play a certain way, and he's going to hunt that read every single time he gets that opportunity. But I did think that there was a dribble penetration advantage for the Knicks. Mitchell Robinson, we did not see any sort of I mean, obviously they would grab him anytime he got right underneath the basket or anything like that, but we did not see a hack of Robinson at any point in the game. Mitch Robinson in twenty one minutes was even and was pretty successful as just a physical monster, offensive, rebounding, defending that vertical spacing like we saw in that lob off of the Jalen Brunson two man game. A lot of stuff for Rick Carlisle to look at, by the way, just in general with their ball screen coverages in the job that Thomas Bryant and Miles Turner did. Those guys were getting absolutely fried everywhere on the floor tonight, and there are some real problems there that they're going to have to look at. Thomas Bryant was minus eleven Miles Turner was minus three and you end up winning this game in the small ball groups, though, I did think that Knicks had some success with that overall size, especially with kat who was really given the business to Pascal Siakam in those sequences. On the pacers front, I thought that Siakam didn't do a good enough job punishing miss matches throughout the game Normles Turner. That is a credit to the Knicks. They battled really well in those situations. But remember that was a huge part of this series last year was Siakam attacking specifically Josh Hart, and he did hit a little fade away and he drew a double team on Josh Hart that led to a layup for Andrew Nemhard. But there was not enough of that punishing from Siakam from Turner against switches in the LA Turner got multiple deep catches on mismatches that he wasn't able to pay off, and so I think there's some opportunity there. Nemhard was better in the second half, but I didn't think he did much to impact the game offensively. Early, Tyrese Haliburton kind of looked like he was off to another one of those funky starts in this game, and then right around halfway through the second quarter, he really hit the Jets with his aggression and you could tell he's gonna get looks because of the drop coverage that they're running with Karl Anthony Towns, and when he gets switches against Carl Anthony Towns, he's gonna be able to get to his three point shot. He's just gonna have to be able to knock it down consistently. But really really fascinating Game one. This is going to be a really entertaining series. Every game, I feel like is gonna come down to the wire, just with the relentless, never ending pressure of the Pacers and with how gifted of a crunch time scorer that Jalen Brunson is just an instant classic here in Game one of the Eastern Conference Finals. I'm really excited to get further into it.
Speaker 2: Blending Vice's signature dynamic storytelling with the high octane world of sports, Vice Sports brings an exciting and diverse range of programming that goes beyond the game, from action pack live events to gripping behind the scenes documentaries to hard hitting investigative pieces and in depth profiles of athletes, coaches, teams. Vice Sports captures the raw energy, drama, and passion that makes sports truly unforgettable. Catch live events and other exclusive sports programs only on Vice TV. Go to vicetv dot com to find your cable channel.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna bring Jackson on. We're gonna take about five to ten minutes of questions and then we'll head over to playback. We'll do ten fifteen minutes of questions.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. First question was was this more of a Knicks choke job or a PACER's comebacks theft, theft steel whatever.
Speaker 1: So me, Jackson and Shane, we're debating this on the UH on the zoom call before we went live, and as is always the case, it's both. It's never as simple as just one or the other. I'm really hesitant to just call it a Knicks choke when we have three completely different teams that have had this problem. Like, at a certain point, I want to give the majority of the credit to the Pacers just for their relentless, never ending pressure. However, I thought that they this has been a Knicks problem all year. Excuse me. They blew the game open by keeping the ball moving around and by playing through dues, through Kat through og Ananoby, and they've had a tendency in crunch time to lean entirely into Brunson, and Brunson has been amazing. Brunson's volume in the clutch has been a made his efficiency has been fine too, and he's won them a lot of games. So I don't want to sit here and pretend like it's it's like Brunson's doing something wrong necessarily, but there are some realities to the fact that when you play through one guy for extended stretches like that, the fatigue can play a role. And I thought Brunson looked tired in ot and I thought, especially over the final minutes ot it affected his ability to get separation, And so I think that's part of it. The miss free throws are part of it. I feel like there's a certain verve that Indiana plays with in transition during those late game sequences that the Knicks probably do some damage to by trying to stop the ball a little bit earlier and prevent them from just knifing through them like hot like a hot knife through butter like they do in those sequences. But I want to give most of the credits to Indiana. Man, Like they did it to a sixty four win team in the last round, they did it to Giannis and Tenna Koumpo in the round before that. Like they just they are. They are unlike any team I've ever seen. Jackson, I don't know. I don't know any other way to put it.
Speaker 3: I think that's a good transition to a different question we got, which was, let me find it if the Pacers don't win the title, do you think we will look back on this playoff run, on these comebacks as fluky comebacks or more of a sign of who the Pacers are as sort of an identity.
Speaker 1: I think fluky is disrespectful to the fact that they won both series in five games. So I think that I think that it's more complicated than just saying, you know, they they're you know, voodooing their way to the to the finish line.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: Jackson and I were talking before, like kind of in the first you know, it was either in the first quarter or the second quarter. But I don't think the Pacers can beat Oklahoma City. I think Oklahoma City matches up extremely well with both of these teams because they're both teams that rely heavily on guard shot creation, and the Thunder just have a never ending line of elite defensive guards that can make life hell for guys like that. So, I mean, here's the thing, Like, if let me reapproach the question like this, if if the Pacers beat the Thunder, it won't be fluky, It'll be because they beat him at basketball. So like, I'm not gonna try to undercut anything they accomplished at this point they beat. I thought that Cavs team was so good. I thought they had a legitimate chance to beat Boston towards the end of the season with how they were shooting the ball against Miami. So like, I think this is I'm a big believer in this Pacers team. I picked them to win this series. I think that they're just better than they were last year. I think Caliburton's one of the more underrated stars in the league. I like that even goes beyond the disrespect from his peers. I think even just in the media, people don't quite appreciate his advantage creation and the job that he does to grease the wheels of an elite offense. I think the Pacers are really good man.
Speaker 3: I agree. Next question seeing how both Julius Randall and Karl Anthony Towns are playing in the conference finals, were only one game into the Conference finals. The still looking back on the trade, how do you sort of feel about it from both teams standpoint?
Speaker 1: Oh Man, this is an interesting question. I think it's a little bit more of a mixed results kind of conversation on the Knicks front, because Karl Anthony Towns has had very high highs in this playoff run, but he's also had very low lows. I thought, for the most part tonight he was pretty good, So I don't want to I don't want to like disparage him specifically tonight. I think overall, the totality of the offseason worked out well in the sense that, like, if you make those sorts of moves, the McHale Bridges move and the Cat move, you gotta make the conference finals. You've got to beat a Boston in order to make that sort of trade worth it. And I think the McHale Bridges deal in particular was very uneven in the sense that he was not very good in the regular season compared to what he was capable of. But I think he's been great defensively in the postseason, and I think overall the Josh Hart, McHale, Bridges og and an Obi trio between Brunson and Cat has made up for a lot of their defensive deficiencies, and I think Kat brings a lot of positives. I also think there are some realities to the fit with Julius Randall, and like how that would have been clunky to have Julius on this particular team. So, I mean, you could argue that not having a Dante DiVincenzo is a depth piece is probably the most painful part of that deal because Cat has brought I would argue, let me spit this back to you Jackson before we talk a little bit about the Minnesota side of it. Do you think that Cat on the Knicks, forget about the trade. Do you think that Cat on the Knicks is a better fit than Julius Randall on these Knicks.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 3: And I think Julius Randall is a better fit on the Timberwolves just in a vacuum than Karl Anthony Towns is. So in that sense, I think both teams made a move that was you know, at least well in ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to your point, I think the Timberwolf side of this deal was a slam dunk home run, and like I talked about this before the season, I said, if Randall goes with Randall going to Minnesota, I didn't like the deal, but I said there was an obvious upside. The obvious upside is Julius Randall is a better high post, low post shot creator than Karl Anthony Towns. He flat out is, and he's also a better defensive player. But that I think has been more of a revelation. Didn't I didn't think Julius had that reputation before this year. But Julius is flat out a better high post, low post shot creator, and specifically within what Minnesota has needed in this postseason run, that has been immensely valuable to them. So like that's been a home run, Dante in the depth has been a home run. There was a range of outcomes for the Julius Randall deal on the Minnesota front, and it has skewed heavily towards the high range of those outcomes. So it's like a slam dunk for Minnesota. I think it's a little more complicated on the Knicks front, But as we mentioned earlier, I think Pad is just a natural fit that Julius isn't in this system, So it might just be a rare example of a trade that kind of worked for both teams. Yeah, I think I agree. I agree with all that there's really quickly. There's one other thing that's kind of interesting. I see these stretches kind of like this stretch when Mitchell Robinson was dominating in that late first quarter. I do think there's a version of this team that has a more defensive center, like an athlete center instead of cat that that could potentially reach higher highs than this team. And I think that's the question they're gonna have to ask themselves this summer, depending on what happens in the next four weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point. Next question, Jason, do you think that the Knicks can last playing at this pace with the Pacers over the course of the series, especially considering the minute totals that those guys play do the Pacers?
Speaker 1: Guys, here's the thing, they can last, but they can't afford to lose games like this. I mean, like tonight, like you play well enough to be because here's the thing, guys, like the Pacers didn't play as well as they were capable of during the majority of this game. Siakam was pretty bad. Nemhard was pretty bad. There was Uh. Turner was good to start the game on offense, but was brutal in a bunch of other ways. Uh, they didn't get a ton of scoring pop off their bench the way they usually do. Like Ben Mathern has been their highest scoring player per minute in this postseason run. He had nine points and twenty one minutes. Like, there were a lot of things that didn't go their way. You gotta win that game, and that's where it gets discouraging. That said, the difference in the pace is like obvious just looking at the scoreboard. So they scored one hundred and thirty five points tonight. They scored one nineteen in Game five six against Boston, one oh two in Game five, one twenty one in Game four, uh ninety three in Game three, ninety one in Game two, one oh eight in Game one. Like their score. They haven't scored over one hundred and twenty one points in any playoff game except for Game one against the Pistons. So this is now we're all the way up at one thirty eight. So there's like a clear like just sheer number of possessions type of dynamic at play. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna try to pull up the specific number of possessions. So the Knicks had one hundred and twenty seven possessions tonight, trim off the fourteen in overtime, that's one fourteen. And if we just pull like a random I'm just gonna pull like one of the Celtics wins, like Game four against Boston. That game they had one hundred and four possessions, so it's ten additional possessions. So it's like it's more, but it's not dramatically so much more that it should cause that much of a problem. The main thing to me is just you can't afford like to me, in playoff series, there's so much weirdness anyway, Like you're gonna go on the road to Indiana. You could have a game where Obi Tappen has twenty points. You could go and Ben Mathern could have twenty five points. Like there are already these kind of weird variables in a playoff series. You can't afford to lose the game where you looked like the better team for the majority of the game.
Speaker 3: As a Celtics fan, I know that last question before we go over to playback. If it's thunder Pacers in the finals, do you think teams will start putting depth and specifically speed depth as a priority for roster.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think that, you know, I feel like that's been the story of this entire season, dating back to those of you guys who've been listening to the show for a while. You think back to the conversations we were having in October November. What was the number one buzzword? I was thrown around perimeter speed, perimeter speed, talked about it with Golden State. I was like, Golden State is one secondary shot creator away from being good because they're loaded up with simitter speed. Houston loaded up to perimeter speed, Oklahoma City perimeter speed. Like it just because of the game being more in transition, because of the game being played more in rotation, because of the long rebounds that are coming off of these threes. Everything is a foot race, and it's just turning into a situation where I think you've got to have a certain amount of speed and a certain amount of depth just to be able to handle the grueling realities of the NBA Playoffs. I mean, even if we dig into it further, like there's a more of attrition aspect to all of this. Indiana has outlasted teams that have dealt with injuries now multiple playoff runs in a row, between the you know, Darius Garland injury last in the last round, Evan Mobley missed a game in the last round last year, the Donovan Mitchell injury, the Yannis injury, the Dame injury. This year, Oklahoma City even just withstanding a Job Moran injury, was standing a Aaron Gordon injury, that the Michael Porter junior injury, like the thunder and the Pacers look healthier than everybody. And it's because they're super deep. As I mentioned before the series. There before tonight, and I'm not sure if tonight's numbers threw it off at all, there wasn't a single Pacer averaging over thirty five minutes per game like they're just they're able to dig deep into their bench and get production and keep everyone's minutes. Now, I think that's a I think that's a huge part of their ability to survive these deep playffrons and pulling up the minutes per game stats in the postseason real quick for the Thunder. So for the Thunder, Shay is the only player playing over thirty five minutes per game, thirty six point eight minutes. Ja Dub's at thirty five. Every other Thunder player aside from Shay and Jay Dubb, is playing less than thirty minutes per game in this postseason, less than thirty. They're all playing about half the game. Chet twenty nine point eight, Lou Dort twenty six point eight, Isaiah Hartenstein twenty five point three. This is all half the game. They're playing half a playoff game. Meanwhile, everyone else is like, like JJ Redicks, Like we're playing everybody all twenty four minutes in the second half. Tom Thibodeau is playing his guys nassive minutes. I think there are some realities to the way that that depth is allowing them to survive the war of attrition in the postseason. All right, guys, that's all we have for tonight on YouTube. At least, we're about to head over to playback so again that's playback dot tv slash oops tonight, head over there right now. We'll hang out for another forty five minutes or so, just you know, taking callers talking about the game, getting into some of the footage. Again, As always, as sincerely appreciate you guys for supporting the show. We will be having a film session tomorrow morning, so come back to YouTube tomorrow early, like right around noon ish, and we will have a film breakdown from Game one of the Eastern Conference Finals. I'll see you guys in playback. Otherwise I'll see you guys tomorrow morning. What's up guys. As always, I appreciate you for listening to and supporting OOPS tonight. They would actually be really helpful for us if you guys would take a second and leave a rating and a review. As always, I appreciate you guys supporting us, but if you could take a minute to do that, I really appreciate it. The volume
Speaker 2: M