Speaker 1: I told Michael, Michael, I want to Copley. Don't you come down here? He hating you. Michael was like, you told me, I'm going to tell Jerry right now.
Speaker 2: That was in ninety three.
Speaker 1: Me and Jerry we all at the Pro Bowl, and I made made the mistake. I went to Micah. I said, Mike, Man, look man, I want to come home and play. Say I play second fiddle, and that's not what it's all about. I just want to be Oh no, oh, you know Michael. Oh, you ain't coming down here. You ain't coming down. What's up, everybody?
Speaker 3: I'm Peanut Toliming, and this is the NFL Player's Second Acts podcast with me, as always my trusted co host, mister Roman Harper.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: You know? What's up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: I'm really really excited about this one.
Speaker 4: I played with this guy on video games for many, many years, Like this.
Speaker 1: Is video games. I actually played against the guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're older than me. It is all good.
Speaker 4: I'm really looking forward to this and this is one of the greatest of all time. Uh, Peanut, please introduce our next guest because.
Speaker 1: I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Uh. He's a Hall of Famer. Yeah, he's a Heisman Trophy winner at Notre Dame. He is one of ten players to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and won the Heisman Trophy nine time Pro bowler. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the podcast, mister Tim bro.
Speaker 1: Sure, thank you very much. Appreciate that. Appreciate your love with this. Thomas getting mad, I mean so good. Good to be here. Guys, welcome to the pod. Brother, thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Saw you about a month ago. I saw you in Notre Dame. I went to the Notre Dame spring game.
Speaker 2: How often do you go back to South Ben.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, I try to get back for all the warm games.
Speaker 2: Okay, before we hold you.
Speaker 1: So last year I had I missed a couple of the warm games and so I had to go back to Florida State game, which was okay, but then they make the playoffs. So I'm now back there in December, you know. So did you come down?
Speaker 2: Did you travel it all with the with the playoff games in New Orlean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went to UH I didn't go to the Georgia game, but I went to the other three games.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was man, Yeah, it was great, incredible.
Speaker 4: It was, I mean, shout out to Notre Dame and everything they're doing really really cool. I did not understand the new helmet situation with the true gold dome, like it is sweet.
Speaker 1: What is that like?
Speaker 2: The gold dome? Like they have this this brighter gold. It's not like the dull gold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we wore the dull guess now they have this shiny, real shiny gold, sparkly and all this kind of little flashy as flashy as Notre Dame gets. That's all you're going to get right there. You're not getting it with flash Is.
Speaker 4: It true that you considered becoming a pastor after you're done playing football?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Bro, that that's not over though. I mean that's tastes. Look, I mean I'm at a church now. My past is ninety three years old, and you know, he's doing all he can to hang in there. But you know, and there's going to be a serious transition that's going to happen there, and so I mean, there are some things I'm gonna have to do before that. But I mean, if he was to say to me, which I believe he is gonna say to me, hey, Tim, I want you to you know, have something to do with this, then it would be something I'd be more than happy to look into. I like that. You put it out there, speaking speaking into resistance. I like it. Look, brother, this is you know I come from. My grandfather was a preacher, my uncle was a pastor, mama's a missionary in the church. Brother big brother's a deacon in the church. So it wouldn't be you know, people who know me, know the family. Yeah, they'd be like, oh, Timmy, pa okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, it wouldn't be like he what Timmy. It's like family business, right exactly. I like that.
Speaker 3: So I know, I said a little bit in the intro, and this is like one hell of an accomplishment. I don't think I knew this, but you're you're one of ten players to have won a Heisman and being a Pro Football Hall of Fame. How special is it to be on that small list?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, for me, it's even smaller because I'm the only receiver right to accomplish it. So at this particular point, so you know, I know for me, and I tell people all the time, Look, I know I won the Heisman not because of being a receiver, because I didn't have quarterback that threw me the ball, but it was because of returning punts and kicks and all that kind of stuff. But Marcus Allen is always on me. You only scoring seven touchdowns. I was like, yeah, markets, but I wasn't driving over to power one yard like you were getting twenty five touchdowns. I was actually making people miss, you know, doing some real work, right. But yeah, man, Look, I when I was going into the Hall of Fame, I had a buddy here and he's an old country guy. Yeah, and he came up to me and hate Timmy, Did you know that you're only the night guy to win the Heisman being the home I was like, Lee, man, what are you talking about. That's thirty guys have done that. And literally, on my way to my instronment speech, I googled it up. Yeah, and they only had eight because they hadn't added me, and of course we had a charge what'son after me? And I was shocked. I was really like, you got to be kidding me. Only nine guys have but when you look at it, when you look back, yeah, only nine guys have accomplished it. So no, I mean it's something that it's one of those things that when people here say it. They almost paused for a second later, isn't rial So you're talking about I have all the people who have won the Heisman in the Hall of Fame. You only have ten guys. So yeah, it's definitely something to be proud of. It's always a shock.
Speaker 3: And when you google yourself when someone shot shooting, like, wait, I thought I knew everything about way I did.
Speaker 1: Well, let me see this. Yeah.
Speaker 4: This is something that I learned personally as well about you, is that you're you're talking in third person.
Speaker 2: You're doing it as well. Uh, at Notre Dame you were Timmy Brown and you go by Timmy Brown. Now obviously when the.
Speaker 1: People that know you, Yeah, but in the NFL, we only knew you as Tim Brown, right right right? So how when did the the m y get dropped? Did well extend?
Speaker 2: Today?
Speaker 1: They called me testing out Timmy? That's what they called me. Yeah, so I think all my Notre Dame boys, man, if I if I down them up right now and they'll be like, hey, Timmy, when do you you know we're we going? You know, that's just that's just what they all call me. And my family calls me Timmy mostly everybody else calls me tim you know. So it's another big deal for me. I think the more people I think they know me or know me, they call me timmy, you know what I mean. So I look at it as a term of the NFL.
Speaker 2: Did did you make this decision?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no they did. Uh yeah, you know, like Marcus Allen calls me Timmy. You know, most of the guys I played what they call me timmy, you know. But people outside of that, they all call me tim So, uh, you know, I don't trip either way, you know, but when somebody calls me Timmy, I usually turn pretty quickly because that's somebody who that's if I need to get your attention in a crowd of people. Hey timn Hey tim Hey Timmy. You say Timmy, be like, who is that brother calling me Timmy? Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Could you take us.
Speaker 4: Back to your very first NFL touchdown and you actually scored on the very first time you touched the ball?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I got to give you a little background to that. So imagine this. So I my last year Notre Dame, you know, you know, once I realized, you know, this thing is about to happen. I walk into the Porsche dealership and I get this seventy thousand dollars nine to twenty eight. That's for porch, right, black on black, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Make sure it makes sure we look at You can't you can't, you can't.
Speaker 1: In no, I mean, come on, Bro. So you know I you know, I don't know when we get drafted, right, So yeah, get drafted by LA. So I'm like, oh, this is like really good. Right, I'm about to be flashing. So I'm in a minicamp and James Loughton, Yeah, asked me a question. He said, hey, what kind of car do you have? Oh, James man Bro, I got this black twenty four s for twenty es fort porch. He said, don't bring it out here. And I was like, James bro, this is his main for LA.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be on the beach and man had beats somemrow you know what I mean. He was like, don't bring it out here. He said, you got boys in this locker room who's been in the league for eight, nine, ten years, driving penty at Grandam's or whatever, and now you're going to be this flashy rookie coming in here with this car and you haven't done anything. He was like, don't do it. So I went bought to be a fourteen thousand dollars Nissa pat five to Bacato training caut So to your point, that game, the first when I returned to open the kickoff of the game, Now you said, have you asked for a touchdown? Twenty twenty five mins? All burdy, he's James came to me during the game said you can bring that porchaquelle before you. He said, these boys can't say you had done this because you don't did something, you know what I mean? And uh so, yeah, I mean, but that moment, man, you know, of course a lot of people were saying, hey, Timmy, what you did in college, You're not going to be able to do an NFL, you know, so how are you going to adjust to that? And so I think to be able to do that right off the bat, so to shut a lot of people up, you know, at least they couldn't say, you know, he never did it, because I did only kick return already I ever had in my career, because the next year I got hurt returning kicks and the only one you ever had your career. I do that. The only kick return now I should have had one versus Seattle. I got tackled at the two yard line, started celebrating. The guy came from the other side, didn't see him, didn't see him, and uh that I did that. Yes, on Monday night football too, So it was it was pretty right after no of course, not no, no, no. It was like only like three seconds left because they tried to swip kick it and I got the ball and took it up, you know, and there's only two seconds. So we had to kick a field goal, a ninety year field goal. It got missed it. He missed the ninety yr field goal. I can tell that still bothers you not getting that touched on the way, Yeah, I could tell that bothers, no doubt. Well, you know you think at the time, well there are gonna be many of these, you know. But yeah, the next year, opening game of the year, I tear my knee up versus San Diego and that was it. I never I returned punts, but I never returned kicks again.
Speaker 3: So coming from college going to the league, there were a lot of naysaarers I said, you wouldn't be able to do what you did in.
Speaker 1: College in the league.
Speaker 2: Did that ever.
Speaker 1: Hurt your confidence or did you ever stop believing in yourself? I didn't, Man, I really thought that I was born to return punts and kicks. I mean, I thought that that was something that was innate in me. That you put me in the right situation. You got you give me ten guys in front of me who want to work, then we're going to make something happen. You know, my ability to make people miss had a little speed those combinations, I think, And I was tough enough to get hit on a pump return and you know, not whine about it, and you know, and go do what you have to do. So I just thought, man, that you know, if I can just you know, be on the field and make this stuff happen, you know, when they want when they kick me the ball, Hey, I'm going to make this thing happen. You know, It's just going to be a situation where I'm not going to shy away from it any of that. You know, it's going to be. It's a situation. It's what I want, It's what I want to do, is how I want to do it. And I didn't care what people said about me. I really didn't. I mean, I remember it, you know, because you you sort of put it on the wall. But at the same time, man, you know, it's a situation where it's football. Yeah, they're bigger, faster and all that. I get it. But now I got up my game. I have to be able. So I don't think I ever let it, you know, bother me to that point. But certainly I always wondered why people wouldn't let me go play and then talk. Why you're gonna talk first without seeing me do something, you know, and say, well, he you know, he can't do this because you know we just saw it, you know, But they want to talk before they even see you do anything on the field.
Speaker 3: My I think my and I think I might have shared this with you one time. But the very first game, it was Week five, two thousand and three, I got my very first start and we played Chicago, played the Raiders, right, and my position coach he walks over. I'm in the weight room and he was like, hey, listen here, you going against Tim Brown. You're going against Jerry Rice, two future Hall of famers.
Speaker 1: Don't be in there. F and up and he walked out the door. And I was like, okay, Like I was stoked. I was, you know, I'm like, I finn to get my start out.
Speaker 3: I fig up Dad, Hey, hey, pops, I'm going against sim Rider Rice And he was like, Okay, what you gonna do.
Speaker 1: It's like, I'm gonna just try to play a good game, you know. And we we had the game. We in it.
Speaker 3: I think it was like twenty four twenty one. I think I wrote it down somewhere twenty four twenty one, but uh, yeah, we we I don't know if you remember the game, but it was it was. Yeah, that was a bad year for us. We were I mean we were coming off the Super Bowl year. Yeah, it was just everything. Man Callahan just flipped everything on his head.
Speaker 1: Man, it was ridiculous. So, I mean that was a year we were ready to get. Week five, we were already like, hey, can we get this out overweight because this is this is not gonna work. I think the next week we played Green Bay on Monday night and they beat us fifty two to six. And that was the night the week before the couple of days great, uh Brett Fag's father died. Yeah, yeah, and yeah, I remember having a conversation with Al Davis that night, going big, God, I think it's over, Yeah, I think you know. I actually told him, look, you probably should fire this guy because he's trying to tell your organization that one you know what I mean? And uh so, uh it was it was head the other way man. I mean, it's so so sad because we had made we had the MC Championship in two thousand, we had the Tuck Game in two thousand and one. Yeah, Tom Brady, Yeah, Tom Brady, and then we have then we make it to the to the to the super Bowl in two thousand and two, and we we were bringing back the same but they just changed the whole office. They changed. We couldn't audiboy anymore, we couldn't do anything. So it was just ridiculous.
Speaker 4: So I want to go back because you you said something earlier, and I don't know how many other times I'm actually have the opportunity.
Speaker 1: To ask you this.
Speaker 4: You said, like I knew I was put on this dirt pretty much to be a punt returner and a kick returner. Well, at what point did you know you're gonna be a Hall of Fame wide receiver, because that's what you're known for. Yeah, now the other skills of what got you there, and maybe talk about how you had to work at that part because it maybe didn't come as natural.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you what, man, that's a very good point. I mean, because I would think that, you know, I always want to talk about the punk returny kick return. I always, you know, because I returned. I'm noticed a man the history of League of return to punt for a touchdown, the oldest man in the history of the league to return a punt period at thirty eight years old, you know. So I don't want to talk about that. People were like, yeah, we see you return punts, so let's talk about It's like, bro, let's talk about this one second. I probably could't have made the Hall of Fame doing that. So but so so I get hurt. My second year, Al Davis tells me that you're going to be the best punk returner, third down receiver to ever play the game, but you're not going to play on first and second down. Really. Yeah, So in ninety ninety one and ninety two, I didn't didn't start a game. I never played on first and second I only played when it was thirty you know, because back then it was two receivers and then you bring your third receiver on on third down, and that was my role. So I made the Pro Bowl again as a I made Propo as a rookie returning punts and kicks, made it again in ninety one returning punts and kicks returning punts, and then in ninety two, Murvin Fernandez, who I was playing behind, got hurt. He got hurt the seven eight game of the year, and I think I put up like forty nine fifty catches the rest of the year, and they was like, we choose him. So in ninety three I led the AFC in receptions. It was the first year I made the Pro Bowl as a as a receiver. And then after that, man, I think I had nine ten years, one thousand yards and you know, eighty seventy five catches or whatever, you know, one hundred and ninety six. What up starts it? It was something ridiculous like that. But it wasn't to answer your question, It wasn't until a year fourteen or thirteen fourteen something like that, somebody came to me and said, hey, if you catch another pass or something, then hey, you may be looked at as a Hall of Famer, and I was like, well what. And I remember going to and I had never looked at the numbers. I didn't know where I was. And when I looked, I was like top twelve and like catches and touchdowns yeah, and yards, And I was like, well, okay, you know, And so it must have been like year thirteen because fourteen and fifteen I had really good years. Made the Pro Bowl again in year fifteen as a receiver, so you know, and by then now I'm top ten and everything, you know, and so so you know, at that point, everybody's said, oh, you're going to be a Hall of Famer. You know, by the time I go top ten. And once I got my one hundred touchdown catch, which didn't come until my seventeenth year, were playing the Raiders. I'm playing for the Buccaneers, but we're playing the Raiders in Oakland, and I scored my one hundred touchdown catch. So I you know, at that point, you know, not that you think you're a lock. But I finished my career two two three two and touches two in touchdowns, two and catches and three in yards or some but I was two two three, so you're thinking, hey, yeah, I'm gonna be a first ballot guy. You know, you know so. But yeah, so I think, man, But it really wasn't until late in my career. But you have to understand this too. I was so focused, man, on trying to win a championship. Yeah, I mean, I was, That's all I you know, And I tell people all the time, and I tell you know, you know, these young folks all the time. Look, you don't play a team sport to get individual awards, right, you know, the individual awards, you know, they get you through the day. You know, they make you, you know, not you know, go crazy because you can look up at your wall and you got a heisman Jophy at a Hall of Fame bus. You know, it makes you feel okay about yourself. But when you think about your career, yeah, man, you know what I mean. The one that I mean nineteen ninety, Bo Jackson gets hurt in the divisional playoff game, you know what I mean, And so we go to the FC Championship game with no Bo Jackson. You know, Marcus Allen and now David's are fighting, so we don't We barely play Marcus Allen in the AFC championship game. We of course we're gonna get a buzz wok. We got Buffalo killed us. You know, we don't make it again until two thousand rich Gannon the first series, second series of the game, Big Sarah Gussa falls under, breaks his shoulder. He's out, you know. So now we got three quarterbacks trying to play, you know, and you know the Tuck rule game, you know what I mean, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, right, nobody even heard of his rules until that happens.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy, man. And then you know, we get to the Super Bowl and it's the last week that there's not a break in between the AFC champions the championship game and Super Bowl, so we have to go right from the FC championship game. We're in San Diego the next next Monday afternoon. We're in San Diego already, right, So we had our game plans, man, and in a game you know, we had the biggest offensive line in football at the time, Tampa had the smallest, the best. But then yeah, he walked with the Tijuana Yeah kick, this is why so And the game plan was, Hey, we're gonna we're gonna make them feel this heat, right, and we're gonna you know, so that's a weird practice all week. On Friday morning, they changed the game plan, change the game plan. They changed the game plan completely. They changed the game plan. So now the center Barrett is freaking out because he's like, coach, I don't have time to get all my my reads and all this stuff and what what we you know, what we're talking about doing. Now, I'm good for what we practiced, but this and that night, you know, he had a problem anyway, you know, and had a little bit too much of drink, ended up in Tijuana, and you know, he still couldn't play in the game. And that's that's what we're really mad about. Because they had him back in time, you know, Saturday afternoon. The game wasn't til you know, Sunday night, so he had plenty of time to get him right, and they chose not to play him. And you know, so you go into the game thinking, you know, it's a lot of distractions, a lot of you know, that's the one game you don't want distractions, right, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: So listen, can we go back because kind of like Rome, I might not be able to ask this question. Two of the two of the greatest athletes of all time, Jim Thorpe and Bo Jackson. And obviously I'm not I'm wasn't around when Jim Thorpe was around.
Speaker 1: But Bo Jackson.
Speaker 3: As a kid, the baseball, the breaking the bat, running up the wall, throwing a guy out from center field at home plate. Then watching what he did, you know, at Auburn, and when he gets drafted, he's playing running back for the for the Raiders.
Speaker 1: What was it like having a front row seat just kind of watching him do his thing? Yeah? It was freaky, It really was. I mean, you know, you know, I probably I played with Rocket, Yeah, Rocket was You've been around fast, You've been around, yeah, you know, but this was a different kind of speed. My rookie year. Now I come out, I'm four three five of what come coming out. So I had never played with a guy that when he broke, I couldn't go catch him. Let's go, you know what I mean. So we're playing at Denver Broncos. We got to play sixteen Bob TREYO. Never forget it. I come down in motion. My job is to get the safety and if things go right, Bo Jackson should be coming off my butt right. So I come down. Bam, I had the safety. Bo Jackson comes off my butt right, I'm about to go catch boat. That's what I'm about to do. I put my head Dawn Fellas and I'm digging. And when I looked up, it was cartoonish. Bro how fast he was cartoonish? So I just read the field. So I was asking my god, I said, was I running in mud? They was like, don't ever run behind Bo Jackson. Whatever you do, don't ever run behind them. And when you watch it on film, man, I mean, this is a guy that you know when they they clocked him at what they call the running forty at three point seven six, you know, from the thirty to thirty when he was already running. You know, I think he ran like a four to one or something. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It's real video footage of it. But everybody heard about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard it's real. I can tell you it's real because I've never been on the field with somebody who was so explosive, who had the ability to outrun out physical everybody on the field. One story I'm gonna tell you guys. I can tell you many. I'll tell you this what so you know he talked to the third person. He stuttered really bad back in the day. Thankfully, now he's good and he jokes about it too. But we're at the meeting and they're installing plays right, and he's in the back of the room and uh, all of a sudden, you hear bo Bo bow don't won't no blocking right, And everybody's like, oh, you know, nobody want to move right, and uh, he stands up Boat Bow don't won't blocking. So everybody's like the coach, like the time, I know you guys, gon take a break right right right. So when we come back, they had put this play in, uh triple right, U X tight, uh bowl reverse right right. So they say, Timmy, we're gonna put you at the X right, you know, make them think there's some special play coming, and we want you to just run across the field, don't block anybody, just run all the way to the the corner end zone. We just run right. And what we're gonna do, We're gonna pisch the ball to bowl left and then we're gonna let bow reverse field and it's not gonna be any blocking for both. So Bo just he's just gonna outrun or if you got it this way, and unfortunately I bought Mike Harden uh for the Broncos got in his way. I saw you remember that play. I saw that that was reverse. That was boul reverse left at that boy because he's running that way.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: But that that's what you know. He did not want block it. He wanted people out of his way, and he would just run over people, you know. So I mean, I don't think there are many running backs in the history of the game. Yeah, who are going to set up and say I don't want to block it. So we're gonna take a short break and we'll be back in a minute.
Speaker 3: So let's let's get into the let's transition into your your your second act after after football. So you're now the commissioner of the new Arena Football League and new athletes, new rules, new teams.
Speaker 1: What are some of the new rules some of the teams? Like, what what's making the Arena League fun again? Well? You know, I think for these kids, man, and you know, hate call them kids, but they are what they are. It's an opportunity, bro, It's an opportunity to get one more pattern the back, one more handclap, you know, because all of them have a story of why they didn't make it, why they didn't do this or do that. And I think what what the Arena League is doing for them is giving them the opportunity to get in the community, you know, because all of our teams, the kids are expected to get in the community and connect with some nonprofit or whatever. And they're doing that and they've been well received doing it, you know. So and you know, they may not, you know, they're not Immi Smith or Tim Brown or whatever. You know. You know, they're not you know us, but people respect them because they were in a jersey, you know what I mean. And they're giving them entertainment, entertainment on Saturday night, you know. So you know, we we did six man football last year. We're going to move to seven man this year. But we're trying to speak the game of twenty second play clock, make it really wide open, you know. And it worked, it worked really well for us, you know. And but we thought with seven on seven and being a big deal and going to be a part of the Olympics coming up, that we should probably go to seven on seven to give some connection to the fans more so than just you know, a real football whatever. So yeah, so I think from that standpoint, man, it's been great. You know, we're in you know, Hot Springs and Springfield, Missouri and Dluth, Minnesota, and you know, Kansas City and places like that. It's you know where we are at this particular point. But you know it's gonna get bigger and better man Old Claire, Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we're six teams this year, hope to get to twelve next year. And what the owner wants to do is, you know, have six teams on the East coast, six teams up here down here, and then let those six play and then you know, play around robin playoffs and make this thing happen. So it's been fun for me, man, know it's fun for me. It's not a money gig per se, but it's an opportunity for me to you know, pad a couple of kids in the back and carry some kids. And you know, we have made some calls up to uh, the UFL about a couple of kids, you know, because you know, and that's what I bring to the table more than anything, you know. Boot Moose Johnson is the commission don't know if he's a commissioner, he's some he has some prominent role there, and uh so we we've connected, you know, on trying to, you know, get some kids up to his level. So you know, it's fun, you know, trying to trying to you know, wait, I get it, man. You know so many of us and I don't know what your you got story is, but so many of football players walk away from the game, not like they want to, you know. I mean they tell me. Less than two percent of us stand up to a mic and say, hey, today, I've talked from NFL. You know, everybody else is hurt, they get cut or whatever whatever. And and but at least we played NFL, right, you know, at least we could say that these guys are having to do that out of high school or out of college or whatever, you know. And I think for them to have this one last opportunity to to come out there, man, like I said at the beginning, to get a handclap or to get a pat on the back, it's worth it to him. And they're not making a lot of money at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, so do you think this is a I mean, I know you just said it's kind of like a pipeline or you make a couple of calls to the UFL. Do you think the new Arena League could be a pipeline to the NFL. Have you seen some guys with that talent that that can play up there?
Speaker 1: Not really, not really. I think, you know, a guy may show something to plays, but then you see why why he's in the in the Arena League, you know, because so, but the one kid I call about, this kid man was and come to find out, I didn't notice, but he was in Kansas City's training camp and decided he wanted to be a track guy. So he left to train and then wanted to come back. You know, the league. Don't play that, You're not You're not. Yeah, I don't know, right. So, and but this kid was extremely talented, you know what I mean. I thought that, but I knew why he was where he was because of what he had done, you know what I mean. And so I think I think he is in the uf L. I can check on that. But but this kid was was pretty good. But I hadn't really seen anybody that, uh, you know, if I saw a defensive lineman and we only got you know this year, we're it's gonna be one on one offense you know, one office along one defensive that's gonna be pretty interesting. Uh but you know, so we see a lot of dB type guys and and and receivers and all that. So that's basically what I'm looking at.
Speaker 4: So after you retired, you did TV, and so did doing TV like help you smooth out that transition? Because you talked about it, less than two percent or two percent actually get to retire from football on their own terms.
Speaker 2: Football usually retires.
Speaker 4: All of us at some point, and so you know, everybody has to deal with the transition in different ways. And that's why we like to have this conversation with some of the greats. How did do and TV help alleviate or help you.
Speaker 1: In your transition? So let me let me go back a little bit. So when I tore my knee up, the doctor told me, Tim man, this is really bad. You know, this is something that we don't see. I tore my mediocollateral off the bone and my post seria crucier exploded. Right, So they literally brought my hamstring down, tied it all it or not, and said, hey, let's see what we got. And but he told me, he said, if you make it five years it's going to be a miracle, you know. So and he even said this, he said, uh, this is your second here, this is yeah, this is my second year. Yeah. Oh wow, I didn't. Yeah. So he said that great note of day education you have, you may need to think about using it. Right. So I'm in the I'm in the hospital room. Bro, he just you know, he just walked out the room. I'm having surgery in a few minutes. And this is what this man tell me. Right. So the great thing about that brother is it started my transition then, because I realized this man just told me I got five years.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So I started a shoe company. I had a shoe company kind of had a company called pro Moves. Who Marcus Allen wore my shoes, Willie gaulf Eddie Anderson, Steve Berline gonna wore my shoes. You know. We were selling in foot Locker and Athletic Express. We were selling all over the place until one of these big companies. Man, they did they did me dirty, bro, they did me dirty. We didn't have no we didn't have no brothers doing you know, I could have had what's his name, Jackson, but he was he was too much money at the times ain't paying. But so yeah, we got ran out of man, literally ran me out of ran me out of every I mean, went to Footlock and said, hey, either you want our shoes or you're going with these pro moves which one. And they was like, and they had told me Footlock had told me, hey, this is gonna be a problem because they told me this too. This was ninety two. They said, the world is not ready for a minority shoe company. This was before the timberlands and all that stuff. We had Timbolans, before tibulus. We used to say they took our tibulus. But yeah, so you know you had all that to you had all that to to to transpire. Man. So when I got to year five, I was like, I feel great, you know what I mean. You know what I mean. So now all of a sudden, I'm thirty and I was like, I feel good. I said, you know so. But I was always thinking today could be today, Today could be to day that you know, my negro out again, you know what I mean. So I think from that standpoint, my positions started so early. When I got to the point where it was really time, I want to want to do when to say it was easy, because leaving, leaving your boys, leaving the locker room is never an easy decision at all.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: But but let me tell what happened to me. So I'm I'm retired. I'm working for a Fox Sports net. Uh, me and Eddie George and uh the only white cornerback in the league at the time, you know what I mean? Yea, why y'all know that because he's because he's the only white guy they got one. But I'm just saying, at that time, the Seahorn, Right, So, so we we have the show Man, so much fun and whatever. So we're we're taping on Thursday nights, right, Well, and this was the first year that the NFL started playing on Thursday nights.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It just so happened the Raiders were playing New England, right, And I didn't play for the Raiders my last year. I played for Tampa Bay. Right, the Raiders came out the locker room, brother, and I broke out in a cold sweat. I mean, I couldn't talk. I mean I was just like, I was like in a panic movement. I couldn't I could not figure out why I was sitting where I was sitting and not on the not coming out that locker room. I couldn't figure it out, and they were talking to dude, we're gonna call paramedics if you don't saying you know. And finally after a couple of minutes, I was able to say, hey, I'm you know, and I had I got up, man, and I had to walk around the room and tell myself, you chose to be here, this is where you need to be. You know. I had to literally talk to myself because I couldn't figure it out. I mean, I had that moment, brother, Literally I thought I had lost my mind because I was in a place that I wasn't supposed to be. I was supposed to be right there, Come am I here, You know what I mean? And so you know, if I go through that, If I went through that, I certainly understand how other guys go through this transition thing too, man. But thankfully for me, you know, because of that injury, it got me to thinking about my transition a lot sooner than maybe a lot of other players. Do you know, so did that make it easier? The entrepreneur?
Speaker 3: The five year talk right there or in your fifth year or having only five years left. Did that make it easier to was it the eighty one Logistics Group? Did they make it easier to be a part of that? And I also see that you are a minority fuel transport company you work with that as well. Did that make all like just getting in the business, but that makes that easier for you?
Speaker 1: So anyone LG is eighty one Logistics Group, So that is the whole minority fuel. So I just started that just I mean eight years now we've been doing that. But and that just came about because some brother came up to me and said, you know, when I say brother, I'm I mean black. This was the white brother came up to me and say, look, man, I need your help. You know, there are a lot of companies who need minority vendors or whatever, and they're none here. So take a look into it. I had just gone into the Hall of Fame the year or two prior. This was sixteen. I actually signed up in seventeen. But and so one of the head guy at one of the largest field transporting companies in the country was also is also the CEO of the largest trucking trucking company in the company. And I had done a lot of events with seven eleven and so the CEO there, man, I called him up, you know, had his number eight. Man, this is what I'm looking at doing. He was like, Tim, if I can help you, I'll help you. So they were going to help us with supply. I had the transport, so I thought, I'm about to go solve this minority deal. But it was a lot of you know, even before what's happening now. And we got out of the DEI business before all this happened because we saw it coming down, because it was it's not real business anyway, right, it's all a front business. So uh so we started doing things internationally. So that's that's that's going well for me. But yeah, I mean, look man, yeah, I think that, you know, because I started everything so early that I didn't have that moment of of well, I didn't have consistent moments of oh my god, what am I gonna do? How am I gonna do this whatever? Whatever? You know, I was able to push through it because I started when I was twenty three. Yeah, you know, I started thinking about it when I was twenty three, you know, and I think from that standpoint, you know, it just helped, you know, you never would think a catastrophic injury would help you with your transition, but in this case, it did.
Speaker 2: It does it gave me one of my best friends. I tore my acl he toy is too well and we became best friends. Cauld we just react.
Speaker 1: Well, that's just what happened. Yeah, we're gonna take a short break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you something because you've always stood out to me, not only because your speed, not only because you played for the Raiders, and everybody has an opinion of Out the Raiders, whether you.
Speaker 2: Like him, love whatever, he got, an opinion of.
Speaker 4: The the finger tape because you were one of the only receivers when all the receivers start going from buttneked hands to receiving gloves, you still just did the heavy taped hands.
Speaker 1: And oh school, and your fingers look good today because you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So, I've seen Tory Holt's fingers. I don't know if you've seen it.
Speaker 1: Gang signs.
Speaker 4: He's got some of the worst. Ready, Yeah, he's got some of the worse. And so shout out to Tori. I mean, I love you, yeah, absolutely, But could you made me talk to us about how that came about why the finger tape and how you just stayed with it and never put on the gloves.
Speaker 1: So I was not a glove guy, right, I was never a glove guy, but never never, not even never. I mean only time I would put him on is when we played in super cold weather, right, So I know it. It may have happened at Penn State once or twice when I got in the league. I think in ninety we went to Buffalo and I put him on or whatever, but this is what happened. So I'm returning punts, right, and I have on gloves, and I'm in Buffalo at the time, and Tasker, man, I hate that hate that guy. I love hate him, but I hated him. You know, I'm trying to, you know, catch the ball and slide the ball back in the pocket, and then that split second is you gotta it's got to happen quick well with gloves, because the gloves are so tacified. You actually got to use your offhand to push the ball. I mean, all this is happening like that. Well, if Tasker is there, all it takes to him just storing his hand in the mix, and you fumbled the ball and I fumbled the ball, and then a couple of weeks later, I fumbled again on the punt and I had on gloves and that was it. Because of my mind, it couldn't.
Speaker 2: Be it's the gloves, gloves. It's not Timmy.
Speaker 1: It's got can never be his fault. It's got to be gloves. So I I had dislocated my middle fingers in my rookie year, so I was already taping those under my gloves. I was taping my middle fingers. And so the first game or two, I think, I went out and I just had those two fingers saving I was like, well, we do, you might as well tape them all right, And so I just saw taping both joints on both on both hands and cold or not. I never went back to never go back to the gloves because I would wear those that little warmer and I had to hand warmer things in there, and they were really you know, cheat code, to be honest with you, because it would get wet and your hands would almost get sticky. But that's between us, right, yeah and all your listen now. But yeah, so I mean I never had an issue again, you know, so, uh when when? Uh, Fitzgerald passed me and something don't whatever, you know, he passed me everything. But his people tagged me in a post that they had and they said, today, uh, Fitzgerald passes Tim Brown and d and we're sending his gloves to the Hall of Fame. Right. So I hit him back and said, I didn't have any.
Speaker 3: Gloves never flex on the one sign. Oh yeah, what do you say to that? You don't You can't say nothing respect disrespect? Yeah, say what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I with you.
Speaker 1: You don't have to because I gotta be smart because I think you hit that beat. Yeah, that was It was like a slight, silent dig.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So uh, I just want y'all to know. I may could have sent some old tape, yeah, but I know you have to go.
Speaker 2: And I know peanuts got one last question.
Speaker 4: But I want to know this from you because once again, I'm not gonna be able to ask you this all the time. And I want to get this on tape because I want evidence of it. Your Tim Tim Brown's top five NFL receivers of all time.
Speaker 1: Go, Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior.
Speaker 3: Now I want to know, because like you could be in there for some I want to know your top five, and it's okay to say yourself.
Speaker 2: Look, I prefer to put yourself in there.
Speaker 1: Look, Jerry, I don't care what people say about whoever. There's never going to be anybody who has all the records, the longevity and the championships. There's nobody's gonna do that. Somebody may get more championships, they may get more catches, they ain't not gonna play twenty years, so you can throw that out. But so I think, you know, no matter what you say about whoever, whoever, Jerry is number one. I think Randy Moss changed the game, no doubt. I think he changed the game. I think when he came in all of a sudden, these small forwards who wasn't doing anything on the bat spoke, hey, I know somebody you know, So I think he changed the game. I think Terrell Warrence was the hardest playing receiver that I've ever seen play the game. I mean, he played the game at such a physical level. I saw him and Charles Woodson go at it, uh you know, at a game, and you would think that I mean they were, I mean because Chaws never backed off of them. They were and it was like, man, this Charles Man great you look up, Well they brother had twelve or like one fifty.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like how did that that? I Woson was on on the whole.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: But but I just think he's the most physical, uh guy that that ever that ever played the position. It gets a little tougher for me. Yeah, you know, I love Chris, and you know I think Chris was great. Uh but Chris was a great possession receiver. You know Chris Carter. I mean he he was great around the end zone. He was great around you know, could always make the plays. But he wasn't gonna get you a five yard and turn it into fifty. You know, he was not that guy. You know. But look, man, uh, I I joke with these guys all the time when we get together because everybody want to talk about it. I was like, hey, look who would have traded with Tim Brown? Who would have traded with me?
Speaker 2: Jerry?
Speaker 1: I was traded with you bro traded all day two Hall of Fame quarterbacks, Sign me up. You know what I mean? I had to trade with Randy Moss. Chris Carter should be a part of that. You got Randy Moss or Chris Carter ed reed, Yeah, hey, sign me up with that, you know what I mean. Michael Irvin, Oh, of course I put Michael in there. Everybody Michael, Hey, I tried to line up for that. I told Michael, Michael, I want to complay. Don't you come down here. Michael was like, glad you told me. I'm going to tell Jerry right now. That was in ninety three. Me and Jerry we all at the Pro Bowl, and I made made the mistake. I went to Michael. I said, Mike, Man, look man, I want to come home and play. Say I'll play second fiddle. And that's not what it's all about. I just want to be oh no, oh, you know, Michael, you ain't coming down here, you ain't coming there. So uh yeah. So you know, I just think Michael, Michael when I think that physicality thing. He was up there too. He was a beast of a guy. Uh But I would have traded places with any of those guys, but nobody wanted to trade places, you know what I mean? And uh so you know, people say all time, Tim, what would you have done if you hey, hey, I'm not trying to go down that road. The biggest compliment compliment I think I was ever given was by Jerry Rice. And he didn't do it publicly. It was just me and him, and he came up to me and he said it was in a practice. You know. This was about five games into his first year there, and he came up to me and he hugged me and he said, man, he said, I don't know how you did what you did, but he said, the fact that you did what you did, you know, makes me respect you even more. And you know, it was almost what I'm serious more was like, but I got to practice, man, I can get the practice. But because you know, because he realized at that time that the Raiders organization was a little different. They did things, you know, compared to you know, what they had done. And so, you know, I think when you get that kind of you know, pat on my back or you know, nods, man, you make you realize, Okay, you know I did all I could do. My boys recognize it. You know, when your boys recognized that, you know, forget anybody else, you know, forget everybody else. You know, Uh, the media don't ever have to say it, you know. Uh, I got a I got a cousin man a couple of years younger than me. And he, you know, of course, followed my whole He was in l A when I got to l A. And he he has DVDs with every one of my catches on my whole career DVDs.
Speaker 2: Brother, that's the worst.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, you ain't got nothing to play it on. Well and uh so, and he is like a big time music type guy. He does all this stuff, so he has a platform. And every once in a while he'll go Tim Brown heavy and he'll just lay it out, you know, he'll do all the stats and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: And and uh I was Chris Man, just back off, but just it's okay. He said, no, no, they need to know. They need no cousin need to know. Cus So anyway, but I didn't finish my five, but I'm gonna be in that top five. So I respect that. I respect that. I respect I was at three, but I'll put Michael in there. But look, man, the fact of the matter is again, that had twenty quarterbacks. Bro. It's like you played for Chicago twenty quarterbacks. You know, there's not gonna be another Hall of Famer to make it to the league. Betwenty I think Chris Fitzgerald was at fifteen, sixteen and something like that. But I mean seven head coaches, you know, thirteen you know, office court, you know what I mean. But we got it done. You know that. That's the whole deal. Brother, And I think from that, you know, whether or not anybody ever puts me in the top five, I always get the honorable mentioned, right, I always get the you know, the top five, the honorble mentioned Tim Brown, you know what I mean, right, But it's all good. My last question is Mount Rushmore. It's four people.
Speaker 3: If you had four people to put on Tim Brown's personal Mount Rushmore, who would those four people be? Just during my time or it's just an influence who you know, from the time you were born to today?
Speaker 2: Right, you got four people?
Speaker 1: Probably? Number one, if I can do it as a combo, would be my parents, my mom and dad, you know, but special people. You know. My mom is still a live thankfully. My dad passed a few years ago. You know. I can get into many stories about why. But you know, just I think that's a number number one for me. Number two, my big brother Man over oversaw all this, right, he's eight years older than me. He you know when I thought taking money from colleges was a good thing at sixteen years old, because they'd be in my basketball games. They tell me, go go see Peanut in the corner, Go see Roman over here. Roma got fifteen hundred dollars. You know, Peanut got. I'm thinking, I'm I'm balling, I'm big balling. Yeah, you know. But he was the one to take the money from me and get the money back, you know, because we weren't going to be those people, right man, you're looking back on that, it was like, man, that's that took something that took deep inside of you man to be able to to have that kind of mentality. Uh. He over oversaw all the agent thing you know when you coming out, and just enabled me just to go play. I didn't have to worry about that. And plus I got kid folks, you know I have to worry about. So I would have to put him in in that too. I didn't think it would be my pastor. Yeah, you know, I think at an age man, where I was ready, I had a pocket full of money, I was in la I was ready for it, and my pastor kept telling me God has only put you in this position, so you can turn it around and give it back to him. I was like, Pastor, what I want to hear man today? Many to live? Just tell me to go ahead, man, going out there, but not see you when you get back, you know. But he constantly told me, and I don't think. I think without that my walk would have started even later than what it did, because I think I would have always said with Pastor, you told me passor you told me I could do. You told me, you told me. But because he didn't, I think when I was starting my transition at twenty five twenty six, I always had his ringing in my ear that yeah, and so so from a spiritual standpoint, I don't think I would be the man I am a day if I had, you know, if I those words, yeah, And I think numberfore man, and I don't mean for her to be number four. But my wife came into the situation in the heat of it, yeah, you know. And if she would have came in doing this rolling a deck telling me what to do, it would have been I think a different tim would have would have shown on the field. And instead she came in and said, what do you need me to do? You know right, I need you out of the house on Saturday afternoon. I'm good with that. Matter of fact, I'm going shop in San Francisco, So I'm really good with that. You know. She was good with that, you know what I mean. But I think that she was so humble about making sure that I had what I needed and it wasn't interrupting, you know, because come to find out, you know, at thirty you're thinking, okay, well by the end, well I played that was thirty eight, Yeah, so long time, So you know what I mean. And so I just think her ability to understand and respect the fact that I'm not trying to be some crazy guy, but I just need this is what I need, and this is what I gotta have you do, And and she was she was willing to do that. I mean, I we we did vows of twenty five years a couple of years ago, and and I didn't make it through it.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't make it through it because I was trying to explain to her how important that was and how what we're standing on today we may not be standing on if you would have been a different girl, you know what I mean. And so I think for sure, you know, I have to have on Mount Rush school though she's more than she's more than qualified. We can edit all this.
Speaker 3: We'll edit all this and make her number one. Yeah, We're gon edit all this and make her number one. I think My last quick follow is is it true that your mom always wanted you to not play football?
Speaker 1: Did she try to get you to quit?
Speaker 2: Very true?
Speaker 1: Very true. I mean she never knew that I was playing. You know, I was my freshman year. You know, you played football at four o'clock in the afternoon, so you know, if I got home at five thirty six o'clock with no big deal. My second year, I made the varsity football team. But I was in a marching band my freshman year, so she wasn't tripping on that. But then I had like the best first four weeks, you know, and they named me Sophomore Sensation or whatever, and so all of her friends, like Timmy's in the paper. So she's looking at life section, what did you do? What did you do? And I was like, Mama, maybe you should look at a sports page. But she saw that and she was again, my mom is a deeply religious one. Yeah, and felt like that football and sports in general, what's the Devil's workshop and she hadn't want me or any of her kid has been involved with and all the kids had played I was the youngest of five. Everybody had played sports. But it just seemed like to me, to her that this thing with me was a bit a bit deeper. And uh yeah. So so Notre Dame came and they said, uh, well this is a five year academic scholarship. So he had to practice one week, but if he chooses not to play football, he'll still have a scholarship. And she was like, oh, this is great, this is great, Timmy.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know anybody that gets to go to school and decide whether, you know, we just go pay.
Speaker 1: For this is crazy. So anyway, but yeah, man, and uh, of course, my rookie, you have a great year break Gale says. The records all this stuff. The second I get hurt, oh you know, it was oh yeah, you gotta retire now. And I know I got to go back. I prove that I could do, you know, and uh but yeah, every year I would come home and I stayed with them until almost I got married, and uh but every year I came home, she was like, well are you are you are you gonna retire now, It's like, oh, we're gonna keep going. So but she she's good. She's good now. You know she was happy when I retired at almost thirty nine years old. I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so well, Tim, Man, appreciate you. Yeah, Man, thanks so much for such man joining us.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: Look, I just really appreciate anytime we get great ones around us because you naturally pour into us, and then we get to go out here and share these stories with all of our viewers and listeners out there, and it's really pouring.
Speaker 2: Back into them.
Speaker 4: The same thing that your pastor told you when you first got out to LA, because I've been in that LA lifestyle too, so I totally get it. In respect it man, I really appreciate it. And you are definite top five of all time. So congratulations to that with all your quarterbacks too. All right, thanks Tim again, and for all of our viewers and listeners out there. Wherever you pick up your podcast was Apple podcast, iHeartRadio app make sure you give us a five star rating, leave a review, make sure you comment, like, subscribe, and also you look us up on the NFL Channels.
Speaker 1: YouTube YouTube channel. There we go. If trying to get that right.
Speaker 4: And now make sure you tell a friend to tell a friend to do what Pe done. My friend, check us out, man Pina's get us up out of here.
Speaker 3: Hey I'm Penut, That's Roman and that's Timmy And this is the NFL Player's second X podcast were out