Speaker 1: On this episode of This League, Man, it finally happens the conversation between Draymond Green and Kevin Durant about that infamous kerfuffle back in twenty eighteen against the Clippers that possibly most likely was the final nail in the coffin to get Kevin Durant to say, deuces, I cannot wait to break this down.
Speaker 2: This interview was fire, So let's go and drop the beat.
Speaker 3: Martyn to take care and said, you'll be waiting for the area.
Speaker 4: Plan never got the gran and I go, let me go.
Speaker 3: There we go, even when we reached the keep going till everybody knows.
Speaker 1: I think it's weird when people decide that they're going to settle some I don't want to say beef, but like unresolved issues and they're gonna do it for the very first time on camera.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it's super well. I can't imagine doing that.
Speaker 1: Like when Magic it was it was Thomas and Isaiah Thomas and they it was like emotional and they're crying, and I'm like, is this the place to do that? Is this bringing out the most vulnerability in you? Is this bringing out the most honesty? Maybe because it's being filmed. I don't know, like it's like sort of a people make decisions to go and try to find love on camera as well, and it's like, I don't know, kind of strange, but listen, I enjoyed it. So Kevin Durant and Draymond decided to settle that old beef. I guess you could call it on Draymond Green's new show called Chips, which, as an aside, Marty, It's not Chips as in Championships, is Draymond Green's show about people with chips on their shoulder. So it's literally all about guys in the league with chips on their shoulder, which you could kind of tell after Katie talked about this is like every single player, four hundred and fifty of them in the league all have chips on their shoulders for different reasons, valid and not valid.
Speaker 2: So I thought that was like really funny.
Speaker 1: So I didn't I expected them to be honest, but I did not expect them both to blow up the Warriors' front office, like just completely bury them, which is exactly what happened. So twenty eighteen, here's the background. Twenty eighteen KT's in a contract year. Just for folks, who are like not remembering this because as it was like three years ago, and you know, if you're not in the weeds, and you're not in the weeds. So the media is swarming around Kevin Durant, like preseason training camp all.
Speaker 2: That, like, Kat, this is your contract year. What are you up to? What are you gonna do? Like how are you feeling? What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Are you talking so much?
Speaker 1: Well, you can't try and tell what are you talking? We found a photo of you talking to Kyrie with your hand over your face.
Speaker 2: What was that about? Like you and him were at All Star game? Blah blah blahlah.
Speaker 1: Blah, and like everybody at this point, and they're asking Draymond and they're asking a goodola and they're asking Steph Curry and they're not just asking them, they're asking them every single day.
Speaker 2: It's every day.
Speaker 1: And Kevin Durant, that's the one where Kevin Durant was like, stop fucking asking me, you know. So Draymond at this point feels the non commitment because.
Speaker 2: He's being non committal.
Speaker 1: Tensions are brewing, things are bubbling, and then the Warriors play the Clippers. Get this, not in March, not in April. This is November eighteenth, folks. This is the beginning of the season, and it all comes to a head right then.
Speaker 2: So this is what he said. This is what happened.
Speaker 1: I got the rebound, I took it up the court. Kay's clapping for the ball and taking and I'm taking off. I'm driving up the court. In my mind, Kay is about to come in for the trail and I'm about to pitch it back. He's about to walk into the three. We're going home, and we got a game tomorrow. This is how I envision the whole play happening. As I turn to go across the court for the pitchback, KD has completely stopped coming. So then I dribble the ball off my foot looking for him, and it went all wrong. They lose the ball game over. Kevin Durant is like, Yo, that's not.
Speaker 2: What I saw.
Speaker 1: This is how I played it out. We got the stop, I'm grabbing the rebound. As soon as I cross half court, I'm shooting it. Durant said, that was the disconnect.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: I wanted that ball in the moment. Draymond saw it a different way, and that was the clash. Okay, So that's like, that's what's happening in their minds, but what actually played out in reality is Durant being like, YO, give me the motherfucking ball.
Speaker 2: Give me the ball. What are you doing?
Speaker 1: And then Draymond Green goes, I was fucking passing you the ball if you would have fucking ran.
Speaker 2: And then he's like, yo, you better.
Speaker 1: And he said something else to Draymond, and Draymond responds on the bench because this is happening on the court, and then on the bench and he says something crazy to Draymond, and Draymond goes, Yo, you better calm the fuck down. I don't know who the fuck you're talking too. And then he says something like that. We all heard like, just leave. We know you want to leave.
Speaker 2: Just leave. And that's when.
Speaker 1: Everyone was like, oh, dude, you see that.
Speaker 2: It's like that little meme where it's that little puppet and his eyes are looking around. That was all of us.
Speaker 1: And then Durant said, yo, I was so irritated because I knew the vultures were about that to eat that up.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, we were, uh huh, yes we were.
Speaker 1: I knew they were going to try to use that to divide it and separate me from the group.
Speaker 2: Pause. That's not true.
Speaker 1: What we're trying to do is get some insight into what the fuck is going on here, not to divide you. But he goes that was the irritating part because I knew that was what was gonna happen. And Dramon says, the build up of everything, the media coverage around of the suspension, blah blah blah, it only made it worse and.
Speaker 2: It took on a life of its own. So we know all that that's the background.
Speaker 1: So Dramon says to Katie, finally, this is the first time I guess they've talked about this. Hey, for my own mental health, this is what he says, for my own sanity. Was that fight the reason that you left the Warriors? And this is what he said?
Speaker 2: Click it.
Speaker 5: So just for my own personal sanity, how much did our argument against the Clippers drive you to ultimately lead the Warriors?
Speaker 6: It wasn't the argument. It was the way that everybody Steve Kerr act like it didn't happen, Bob Myers and tried to just discipline you and think that that would put the mask over everything. I really felt like that was such a big situation for us as a group, the first time we went through something like that. We had to get that shit all out. I remember watching the last dance and when Scotty didn't go into the game, the whole team in the locker room said, Scotty, that was fucked up that you did that. We needed that. We just needed to throw all of that shit out on the table and say yoj okay, like that was fucked up that we even had to go through that. Let's wipe my hands with that and go go finish the task. I don't think we did that and we try to dance around it. I just didn't like how all of that, just the vibe between all of that, it just made shit weird to me. And I'd rather.
Speaker 4: Be who we say we are.
Speaker 6: Family first, communication is key, Like we didn't show that, and that's what robbed me the wrong way more than anything.
Speaker 5: When we landed back from LA I sat in the Hayes was sitting in the car for hour forty five minutes. They put me in that room that signature for our forty five minutes and they try to tell me you need to apologize.
Speaker 1: And his response was to that no, I am not gonna apologize. I'm gonna handle this with Katie the way that I want to handle it. And they're barking back and forth with Draymond. He wakes up the next day, which wasn't in this clip but was in the longer piece, so listen to that, and they go, Draymond, are you ready to apologize yet? And he goes, no, I'm going to handle it with ka how I want to. And he says right to Bob Myers, you're gonna fuck this up. You guys are fucking this up right now. The only people who can make this right are me and Kevin, not anyone else.
Speaker 2: So what do they do?
Speaker 1: They suspend Draymond. He laughs right in Bob Myers's face. Bob Myers is like what He's like, I'm either gonna cuss you out or I'm gonna laugh at you, because this is you are fucking this up right now, and the truth is now we know it actually did fuck it up.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 2: Kevin Durant was like, yo.
Speaker 1: These people are weird, Like what is this everybody's pretending And then the media, of course is like, oh, warriors are taking Kevin Durant's side. Why are they doing this to Draymond And why don't they just let these guys handle it themselves.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, they're in agreement.
Speaker 1: Steve Kerr tried to act like nothing happened, which does not shock me. They're an agreement that Bob Myers tried desperately to get Draymond to apologize. Draymond says, fuck that. Katie watched the whole thing unfold, and he's like, this is fucking weird, starts packing his bags probably right then, like I'm out. This is fucked up because you're supposed to be what strengthen numbers, and it's like first sign.
Speaker 2: Of anything cracking.
Speaker 1: It's like everybody flees to their sides, no numbers, no strength.
Speaker 2: So the subtext to me is like pretty obvious.
Speaker 1: Rest of the interview, Kevin Durant and Draymond said that they would have probably won five more rings if he would have stayed. That's ten consecutive finals appearances, eight chips in total. Drey also said, which Katie agreed with, this was the best era in basketball. So in their minds, Bob Myers fucked up the best era in basketball and destroyed a dynasty that would have gotten eight rings. That is absolutely insane. Kevin Durant had to bounce warriors have been now in the lottery the two years two years after with weak prospects.
Speaker 2: For the future.
Speaker 1: And it's all because Bob Myers so afraid to make Kevin Durant feel uncomfortable, so they coddled him and protected him because they wanted him to stay, and that created the problem that ended up getting him to leave.
Speaker 2: Have you seen have you seen Kung Fu Panda?
Speaker 4: I've actually not, I've actually not.
Speaker 2: Such a great such a great movie. You got to see it.
Speaker 1: So the premise of the start of the movie is this, there's this dangerous.
Speaker 2: Tiger named Ti Lung.
Speaker 1: And he gets thrown into this maximum security prison for wreaking havoc on the community. And this sage comes to the palace to bring this master who trained the vicious tiger, to let him know that they have a they have some grave news. He has like a vision that Ty Lung escapes from prison and burns the whole city down. That's the vision. It's like this prophecy. So she who is like, yo, this is fucked up. I don't think this is real. This can't be real. Like he's in a maximum security prison. I don't see this, but he's like, just in case, I'm gonna send my little duck friend cartoon to the prison to check up on this vicious tiger.
Speaker 2: And in the process of the duck checking up, we're going somewhere. And the process of.
Speaker 1: The duck chucking up on this fucking thy Lung character who is a vicious tiger sitting in chains and maximum security.
Speaker 2: He's like locked up in like it's like like prison on prison on prison on prison on prison, like no way he can get out.
Speaker 1: Iron cocoon they call it, and the duck feather from the duck falls somehow he moves or does something and then the feather just comes off of him and just dwindles down, dwindows down, throws down right outside of ty Lung's cell, grabs the feather.
Speaker 2: Gets himself out of prison. Tylung is now escaped prophecy fulfilled.
Speaker 1: That is to me, Bob Myers and Steve Kerr are Master Sheifu and the duck.
Speaker 2: Truthfully, I'm not really sure who's who.
Speaker 1: And KD leaving is ty Lung the tiger Like in trying to stop KAD from leaving, you caused.
Speaker 2: Him to leave.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that adds up.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: You tried to keep him happy using inauthentic bullshit. Kevin Durant has a bullshit detector like you've never seen. This is crazy. I'm out of here. These guys are weak. How are you gonna like, you're not gonna protect Draymond? Like Draymond wasn't the wrong, but I was in the wrong, you know. Yeah, And that is to me why Bob Myers does not get the benefit of the doubt because two guys, two All stars, two Hall of Famers, said he fucked it up. He made Kevin Durant basically leave. I mean, I'm sure there's other factors, but like that's the main factor.
Speaker 2: And so to me, how could I ever trust that Bob Myers.
Speaker 1: Is a a great decision maker when you're main all star who's like the heartbeat of the team. Is like, yo, let me handle this. You're fucking it up, And he's like, you know what, I don't give a fuck what you have to say.
Speaker 2: You're suspended.
Speaker 1: So when he tells me Kaminga and Moody are the future and Wiseman's a is gonna be the next DeAndre Ayton, and they're in a good place and they're going to contend now with Andrew Wiggins.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I have to say to that man? That's bullshit.
Speaker 4: That's a lie.
Speaker 2: That's just a lie.
Speaker 1: That's a lie, and that's a that's at worst, at best, he just has no clue what's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, for sure. I mean I I I've never been a Bob Myers fan. I thought that light years Ahead comment was always just the lame as shit. Like you, I don't want to say lucked into a lot of it, but like you just did luck into it. He found a way to have a lot of great players like on your team, and then you were able to attract Yeah, probably the best player in the entire world because of those great players on your team.
Speaker 1: Like they Yeah, No, like Joe lakeb wasn't around, Bob Myer wasn't around when Steph Curray got drafted. No, I think Jerry West was responsible for the Klay Thompson draft pick as well as well as the Draymond Green draft pick. Okay, so they lucked into three guys who turned into all stars. Then Jerry West is instrumental in recruiting Kevin Durant, Like, what have you guys done? Like, I don't what you just like, I mean, I don't know, like I really don't know. Yeah, And at the same time, like you got Kevin Durant and then when it was just you after Jerry West left. Jerry West left in twenty seventeen. This thing happened in twenty eighteen. Bob Myers has left to his own devices, and what does he do.
Speaker 4: He fucks it out. That's clearly gone to shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not getting better. So I don't know that. Maybe this is why Bob Myers is like running to Draymond Green every frick fucking draft pick that he has, like on FaceTime while Draymond Green's in Tokyo, because I think probably Draymond Green should be GM of the Warriors. That'd be something that would be something a player GM. I mean, I trust it more than I trust Bob Myers. You got to watch that interview. Though it's sick, it's very illuminating. So to me, yeah, I think that's kind of the end all be all. We now know what happened.
Speaker 2: We all know that. Can you imagine Kevin Durant on the Warriors still.
Speaker 4: Though in what like terms like what it would look like or just that league would be like yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Just everything would be different.
Speaker 1: Not only would that team obviously be different, but like everybody's win now moves. Like I think that the death of the Warriors dynasty created this sense of urgency of win now.
Speaker 4: Yes, so much, so much. I mean the ripple effect of like the true blue bloods of the NBA is unlike any other sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like, okay, if it's Kevin Durant and Draymond Green and Klay Thompson and Steph Curry and whoever else, it's like, well and Andre woodalla, because that trade would have never happen.
Speaker 2: Then, like everybody's just waiting for that dynasty to end.
Speaker 1: They're just like literally actually drafting for the future, making smart moves and not just trying to figure out a way to get the best pieces right the second because they know there's no way that they're beating that team, which is why everybody in the East should be scared of KD, Kyrie and James Harden.
Speaker 2: That's all the time that we have for this league podcast.
Speaker 1: Please like, please rate, Please subscribe on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.
Speaker 2: It makes a huge difference.
Speaker 1: Do not forget to follow us at this league and at Trista Creek on TikTok ig, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook.
Speaker 2: Please go on YouTube. That's the only place that you can see.
Speaker 1: Marty's face picture and picture haircut is looking good. Puts a lot of effort in so definitely subscribe on YouTube. I think we're at two thousand followers or two thousand subscribers there, which is not bad considering that no one knows about this YouTube page.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: Tune in Monday afternoon for the next episode of this week.
Speaker 3: The Thinking they come?
Speaker 2: Howd they fall?
Speaker 3: It's time to risk it all. Say hello to the big dog, say goodbye to all the falls. Keep it a hound and keep it on honey, and keep it a down to certain people so that we don't allow no no, no pol Pole, No no.
Speaker 4: No, pold Pole.
Speaker 3: You a slow pole, all black hog.
Speaker 5: It would stay.
Speaker 3: Who come the best? I'm the best case closed rock, count Rock.
Speaker 4: I ain't no joke.
Speaker 1: Give me that.
Speaker 4: Give me that you mean he give me that?
Speaker 3: Give me that, give me that.
Speaker 2: I want this and that what you mean?
Speaker 1: I can't have that?
Speaker 3: Standing Lane Lois lane a skirt star heard on him, saying, your lame penny layer skirt skirt on him. Big big, big big dog, big dog, big dog, walk in, big dog, walk in with the dog. I'm a risk it all. I'm a risk it off. Hum a whisk it all allee, big big, big big dog dog, big dog, walk in, big dog, walking with the dog.
Speaker 4: I'm a risk it all.
Speaker 3: I'm a risk it all.
Speaker 6: I'm a risk it all.
Speaker 3: Ooh, you got a risk it just to get a biscuit?
Speaker 4: Biscuit?
Speaker 3: How many licks does it take the liquor She wont a liquor trapper, but she already to lickt the rapper. Oh my, oh my, so fly fly, I stay fly, I stay fly wilde just to get by. I want it all out a piece of the pie. Everybody eats everybody and we can eat baller of receipts.
Speaker 4: Swing good.
Speaker 3: We live in good. We'd have made it up about the h give me that, give me that, give me that, give me that, give me that, give me that that I want this and that what you mean?
Speaker 1: I can't have that?
Speaker 3: Stand you Laine Lois Lana skirt skirred on him.
Speaker 4: Stagu Laine Penny Lana skirt skirred on him.
Speaker 3: Big big, big big dog, big dog, big dog, walk.
Speaker 6: In, big dog, walk in with the dog.
Speaker 3: I'm a risk it all.
Speaker 6: I'm a risk it all. Humble, whisk it all all.
Speaker 3: Big, big, big, big dog, wag dog, big dog, walk in, big dog, walkay with the dog. I'm a risk it all. I'm a risk it all.
Speaker 4: I'm a risk at all.
Speaker 3: Line