Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: Let's kiss you. I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody Scott Patterson, I amil In podcast, one of them productions iHeart Radio Media and podcast. This Is Pop Culture, Season seven, Episode five, The Great Stink and Oh Was It Ever? Susanne French, Danielle Romo, Terra sud and myself. Amy will be joining us later, but let's get rocking and rolling. Danielle, you are up?
Speaker 3: I am up, Okay, LORELEI is aggressively flipping through channels on Christopher's TiVo, and that's already a Podhuck So Laurelizas The View, Girlfriends, Sabado Gigante, who controls this thing? You are Pedro Almodovar. The View as a talk show that currently in its twenty seventh year, moderated by Whoopy Goldberg and co hosted with Joy Behar, Sunny Hosts host In Sarah Haynes, Lyssa Fara Griffin, and Anna Navarro. And Girlfriends is a sitcom television series that aired from two thousand to two thousand and eight, starring Tracy Ellis Ross who is hilarious. Sabado Jigante is a Spanish language television program on Univision that has aired fifty three seasons, making it the longest running variety series in history.
Speaker 4: Wait, how long is SNL.
Speaker 1: Woween nineteen seventy five, So that's not fifty three?
Speaker 3: Pedro Almodovar is a Spanish film director and screenwriter who won an Oscar for his film Talk to Her and Did You Know? A tvo is still around. It offers a traditional DVR device, but they've also expanded their servisistant includes streaming devices as well.
Speaker 4: SNL was nine is forty nine seasons.
Speaker 1: Wow Ah Tara Europe.
Speaker 4: Okay? Christopher returns to the couch after putting Gigi to bed. Lorla says, did Gigi get to sleep?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Christopher says she did. I tried to skip to the end of Cinderella, but she wouldn't let me. It's my own fault. My wicked stepsister voice kills. Cinderella is one of the most recognizable folk tales, with many versions throughout the world. The story that We Know and Love came from Italy in sixteen thirty four, then retold by French author Charles Perrault in sixteen ninety seven, then retold again by Grim's Fairy Tales in eighteen twelve. And did you know Cinderella didn't always wear a glass slipper. It wasn't until Charles Peroult introduced it into his sixteen ninety seven version.
Speaker 1: That would that would have been very easy to shatter and hurt her foot.
Speaker 3: But there's no Cinderella without there just a shoe.
Speaker 1: I just want to discuss the practicality of it in the cartoon. Yeah, sosol falls, Okay.
Speaker 5: Christopher remembers he has something he wants to show Laura I. She believes it's going to be Gigi's art until he shows her the fifteen page letter Sherry wrote him, and Christopher says, yeah, it's the first time I've heard from her since the divorce was final. Go ahead read it. Laurel I says, wow, how dangerous Liaisons of her? She doesn't call, she doesn't email that, she sends you a letter with a wax seal that weighs roughly the same as a porterhouse. Dangerous Liaisons is a French novel that was made into a nineteen eighty eight film starring Glenn Close, John Malkovich, Michelle Pfeiffer, Uma Thurman, and Keanu Reeves, I know, right? Did you know that John Malkovich and Michelle Pfeiffer had hair while making the film, ending in divorce for both of them? And another fun fact, did you know? At the nineteen ninety MTV Music Awards, Madonna wore one of the dresses worn by Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons during her performance of Vogue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I told my Michelle Peiffer elevator story, didn't I you did? Did I tell you? I just I had no idea that their affair. I knew that they had an affair, and I thought when she was gave me the hairy eyeball it was because I didn't know that they had both had gotten divorced as a reason. That's why I mean, I mean, I don't mean to.
Speaker 3: Left, but it was a long kind of happens a lot like.
Speaker 1: I guess it does on sets, right it does? I think it does travel people that travel for work, right, And I think it's more what do we know? I don't know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do we know?
Speaker 3: None of it's going to excitement.
Speaker 1: I've never traveled, I would, I have no idea. All right, I guess I'll do this one Rory begins to panic as she realizes Logan is only in town for another twenty six hours. He's trying to make a deal by buying a website, Logan. It's basically MySpace, Rory, but by invitation only. It'll be like an online version of the Algonquin Group, like throwing a party in your head where everyone you've ever wanted to talk to is there. Iraglass Sofia Coppola, Flaubert, Danger Mouse. The Algonquin Roundtable was a group of New York City writers, critics, and actors. The met for lunch each day at the Algonquin Hotel. Iriglasses the host and creator of the weekly public radio program This American Life. Sofia Coppola is director and screenwriter, daughter of filmmaker Francis Ford Copple. She most recently directed the biological drama Priscilla. Gustav Flaubert is a French author is known for his novel That I'm Bouvarie. Brian Joseph Burton, who was also professionally known as Danger Mouse as a musician and a record producer.
Speaker 2: You Know.
Speaker 1: Social media has created a spin off on the Algonquin Row Table, where users come up with their own dream blunt rotations. Late it's the latest way to show off your niche pop culture knowledge. As users fantasize about their ideal smoking circle, I would.
Speaker 3: Argue that my Space is a pub culture reference to Yeah, yeah, and I feel like in this obviously they're referring to Facebook the invitation only. Oh no, for real?
Speaker 5: So Facebook?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Facebook was founded in two thousand and four. Yes, this was two thousands, and you need to.
Speaker 4: Know someone like it was a college Yeah right, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, I guess it's my turn. Lurla is blown away from the smell of Suki's cooking in the kitchen and missed the horrible odor, lingering and stars hollow. Laura says, Milton, it smells like Suki, says Milton Burle. Are you saying my kitchen smells like Milton Burle, Laura, I says Milton Burrell. Broadway Danny Rose, Carnegie, Deli, Zuki, says Pastrami. Milton Burle was an actor and comedian whose career as an entertainer spanned over eight decades. He briefly started himself in Broadway. Danny Rose, the story of Danny Rose, played by Woody Allen, is told in a flashback over lunch at New York's Carnegie Deli. Did you know? Carnegie Deli opened in nineteen thirty seven on Seventh Avenue, across from Carnegie Hall. They were famous for their pastrami, and even has a sandwich on the menu called Woody the Woody Allen, which was half pastrami half corned beef. The main branch of the Delhi closed in twenty sixteen. One location is still open at Madison Square Garden. And I want a pastami salo.
Speaker 5: Okay. Rory meets Logan in Manhattan to celebrate his deal and he comments on how she looks. Rory says, Oh, I'd love to wear a mini and a little sailor hat. Staypuff marshmallow Man, Logan says, because who doesn't want to date a giant humanoid marshmallow? The Staypuff marshmallow Man is a fictional character from the Ghostbusters franchise. He is a large, obese, white, humanoid like figure made of conjoined marshmallows. He wears a white sailor cap with a red ribbon attached on top and a blue hat band. Did you know the Staypuff marshmallow Man suit cost twenty thousand dollars to make. Three of them were made for the production and all were destroyed. During the filming of Ghostbusters.
Speaker 2: Christopher and Lorlai are driving over to Emiline Richards when he suggests the two of them get away for a weekend. Oh oh, I know the perfect place. Don't say Dollywood. Please, don't say Dollywood.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with Dollywood?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 4: I heard It's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: I would love to go to Dollywood. It is a theme parked owned by the icon that is Dolly Parton.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It opened to nineteen sixty one. It is located in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Did you know there is a church that actually holds services every Sunday the park is open. It's named Robert F. Thomas Chapel, after the doctor that delivered. She also wrote a song about him as well. And currently you can hear a nine to five sort of remake remix with Dolly and Pit Bowl. Yeah. I was released about a month.
Speaker 4: Ago and Beyond and Beyonce red.
Speaker 2: Did Joline Jolian.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm looking up Dollywood. This looks oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also Twitty City down there in Hendersonville, Conway. Twitty has his own kind of like Dollywood.
Speaker 5: Twitty City.
Speaker 2: First of all, props to them the name givers, because if I could in one day go to Dollywood and Twitty City, I'd be.
Speaker 4: When I was in Nashville, we wanted to go, but I didn't realize it's actually pretty.
Speaker 1: Far from Nashville. What Hendersonville, No, No, Dolly would like whatever that was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a good like I think two to three hour drive or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, where are we now? Richard sharing story with Lrale and Christopher during Friday night dinner. Richard, Well, naturally, I thought they were referring to the Archduke, so I jumped in, as who wouldn't, with some thoughts about the various conspiracy theories surrounding his infantous assassination in Sarajevo. Imagine my surprise when I learned that Franz Ferdinand was the name of a very popular rock and roll bat Emily. Uh, that's what he gets for trying to fraternize after class with a student. Franz Ferdinand is a Scottish rock band from Glasgow. In two thousand and two. The band's first two singles, Darts of Pleasure and Take Me Out, peaked within the top fifty of the UK singles truck Did you Know the name of the band was originally inspired by the race horse Archduke Ferdinand.
Speaker 3: Okay, Emily and Richard have been playing tennis with the Fergusons and don't like the way they played, so they try to convince Laura, Lai and Christopher to join. Emily says the way Bunny Ferguson grunts. Oh, I mean, it's the one thing if you're it's one thing if you're Maria's Sharapova and you're one hundred and twenty pounds and a seven foot blond teenager. But if you're five to three. Maria Sharapova is a former tennis player. She has won five major titles and has been featured in a number of modeling campaigns, including a feature in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue Did you Know? Maria failed a drug test at the twenty sixteen Australian Open. That was my fault, testing positive for maldonium, a substance that has been banned by the World Anti Doping Agency. She was suspended from playing tennis for two years.
Speaker 1: Wow, wait, what is that? Do we know?
Speaker 2: Know?
Speaker 3: I don't know what that is?
Speaker 2: Something you're not supposed to taste.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 2: Logan notices that Rory feels off after their dinner together. She says she is surprised to find out Bobby is a girl, and until about three hours ago, I thought that she was a guy. You know, that would have been so unbelievably difficult to fit into a conversation. I mean, would that have been so unbelievably difficult to fit into a conversation. I don't know about you, but most of the Bobby's I know are guys. Bobby Kennedy, Bobby Brady, Bobby Knight, Bobby Brown. Let's spin through the Bobbies. Bobby Kennedy, formerly known as Robert F. Kennedy, served as the sixty fourth United States Attorney General from sixty one to sixty four and as a US Senator from New York from sixty five until his assassination in sixty eight. Bobby Brady obviously is a fictional character in the sitcom series of a Brady Bunch, played by Mike Lookanlan. He is the youngest brother in the family, of eight. Fun fact, there was a Brady Bunch sort of like a Barry Williams did some sort of a Brady Bunch movie and Mike Locinland's son I believe, played him. Oh yeah, yep, thank you, Tara, Yes, yep. Not the Brady movie, not the spoofy one.
Speaker 4: But it was sort of like it was a Christmas one, right, well.
Speaker 2: It was the Christmas one. It was a different one where they kind of like, I don't know, they sort of did the story of the behind the scenes of the Brady Bunch. Bobby Knight was a legendary men's college basketball coach. Was he the one with the towel for Indiana? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was the guy from that was a jersey.
Speaker 2: He had a name, Yeah, the Tarkanian. Yeah, yeah, he had one. Sometimes when I think the old noggins go on, still can we can still do.
Speaker 1: It through the chairs?
Speaker 2: Yes? He had won six hundred and sixty one n C double A games. Is it n C double A Yeah, n C A A, n C double Okay, n CIA games with the team. Bobby Brown, yase, it's his prerogative. Is a hip hop and R and B singer. He was part of the Boy band New Edition. He had big hits with my Prerogative. I could probably name more. I can name a million New Edition songs. I mean, you can't talk about Bobby Brown without mentioning that he began in a group called New Edition with Ronnie, Bobby Ricky and Mike and somebody else. Ronnie, Bobby Ricky and Mike.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, what.
Speaker 5: Did I forget?
Speaker 1: Charlie, Charlie.
Speaker 2: I'll think of it. Ronnie, Bobby Ricky, Johnny Gil, Johnny Gil, thank you so much. Did you know my Prerogative was covered by Britney Spears in two thousand and four. Bobby later commented about the success of the song, saying, why try to fix something that ain't broke? I mean true, I'd have to say Britney Spears version was not.
Speaker 4: It was pretty good.
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 1: Don't you criticize Britney's criticized Brittany and presence.
Speaker 5: Rock and roll?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was better than my prerogative.
Speaker 3: Oh no, my progative was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bobby's version not Britney's.
Speaker 3: Oh I like Britney No, I like Britney's.
Speaker 2: I not agree, all right.
Speaker 4: Rory attempts to expressed the way she felt Bobby was treating her at dinner to Logan when she called them an adorable couple, Logan says, wow, you want me to go back there and kick her ass. Rory says, adorable is what you say about a full House rerun. Full House is a sitcom created by Jeff Franklin, starring John Stamos, Bob Sagett, Dave Coolier, Candice Cameron, Jody Sweeten, Mary Kate, Nashley Olsen, and Lori Laughlin. It was revived with Fuller House, which lasted five seasons on Netflix. And did you know only three actors appeared in each of the series one hundred series is one hundred and ninety three episodes, which was John Stamos, Dave Coolier, and Jody Sweeten, Bob Saggett. Only he only misses the count because of the original pilot where Danny Tanner was played by John Posey.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's so weird.
Speaker 1: Weird, and that is going to be a rap on pop culture. Thank you ladies much appreciated what a rollicking pop culture it was.
Speaker 4: That's actually a good one.
Speaker 1: No, it was a dark it was short.
Speaker 2: I have a comments about pop culture, which I have said in the earlier episode if you heard it, but uh, you know, tune into that episode to hear my thoughts on pop culture.
Speaker 1: Oh oh you're talking. I tell you, you're talking about what it teased to go back.
Speaker 2: If you didn't listen to now, you didn't listen to the recap this week, you're gonna want to because I dropped some real bomb.
Speaker 4: And also like how Amy said that with a giant book in her hand, like that to come up with like.
Speaker 1: She's like, God, she's doing research girl's book. It's amazing. All right, best fans of all the planet, thanks for download and we'll see you next time. All the best, much love dot J. Hey everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com