Speaker 1: Tech and the crowds return to Las Vegas for CES twenty twenty three. One major airline now giving its passengers free Wi Fi. Apple Fitness has some new ways to get you in shape for the new year. Plus your tech questions answered? What is going on? I'm Rich d'miro and this is rich on Tech, the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about, and it is the place where I answer your questions. Now you're probably wondering what happened to Leo. If not, thanks for knowing who I am, and please let's keep it that way. Leo Laporte has retired from this radio show and after nineteen years, he finally gets to enjoy his weekends. And now I'm the new guy. That's right, You've got me for your guide for all things technology. My naming once again is rich Demiro. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles, and now now I'll be hosting this very show every week. If you want to do some research on me, you can find me on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at rich on Tech. My website is richon Tech dot tv. You are in for something special. I mean, every day, you know things happen, things change, But this is the first. This is the very first episode of rich on Tech. I've never been more excited. This has been a lifelong dream of mine. Uh if you've listened to my podcast over the years, this show is going to be largely similar to that, except that didn't have you as a live caller, which has been the thing I've wanted to do for so many years. You get to connect with me. I'm going to reveal the new phone number for the very first time. Are you ready here? It is eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight rich one oh one one triple eight seven four to two four to one zero one. Write it down, commit it to memory. This is the phone number you need to know if you need some tech help and guidance whenever, I'll be here for you. So give me a call. We'll get some of your questions in today's show. We'll see if we can help you out, and just have fun. This is going to be a back and forth. This is not just me talking to you. This is you. You are part of this show, and you're a big part of it because without you, there is no show. You have questions, I have answers. We'll get the you know, we'll get this all figured out. It's going to be fun. My plan is to make this the most useful show you listen to each and every week. I'm gonna pack it with tech tips, reviews, cool new apps and websites, plus information to keep you safe from scams and other online issues. I mean, think about it every day. I'm covering this stuff for KTLA. I'm seeing a lot of stuff come through. I'm going to a lot of things, talking to a lot of people. I'm going to bring that information right here. I'm also excited to bring on interesting guests to talk about a wide range of topics. It's going to be different, it's going to be you know, I find tech to be a wide swath of things. It's not just one thing. Tech is all is gadgets, but it's also how do people do their jobs with technology? What apps do you use to stay organized and to stay focused and to stay productive. That's the kind of stuff that I want to explore in this show. All right, So a little bit about me. All Right, I'm just a regular person who loves tech. I've always loved tech. I mean, I've been thinking about technology since I was a kid. I remember waiting to get on the internet, this thing called the Internet when AOL was a thing, and AOL was sort of this, you know, it was part of the Internet, but not really. And I waited every day as a kid for that little Internet link on AOL to light up. That's how nerdy I was. I'm originally from New Jersey, right outside New York City, and my typical job throughout the last couple decades has been a TV reporter. And I started out as a reporter, as you would in a small market Yakima, Washington. I moved my way up to Shreveport, Louisiana. Then I went to Los Angeles, then I went to New York and then I came back to Los Angeles. And in that time where I really cut my teeth as a tech person was at cnet in New York City. And Wow, what a fun place to work. I mean, to go from looking at a website like ce neet to actually being on a website like cenet. I got to see it all, I got to do it all. I was there for the launch of the iPhone in New York City in two thousand and seven. It was such a phenomenal time. I could still remember being in the Apple Store in that launch day like it was yesterday. In fact, the song that you just heard, the lead singer of that song was inside the Apple Store and I got to talk to him for a little bit. I mean, just what an incredible experience. Now, I've been covering tech for more than a decade at KTLA TV in Los Angeles, and it has been so much fun. I wake up early. You know, I talked to people. I've traveled around the world doing my job, to countries including China, including Japan, Ireland, England, Spain, Portugal, I mean, you name it. I've seen tech in different places. And what I love about that is that, you know, we grow up here in America and we see how we do things, but when you go to other places, you see how other people do things and it could be a little bit different than the way we do stuff. So it gives you depth, it gives you perspective. But really my secret weapon is you. Your emails, your messages, your responses to my TV segments. Help me know what is important, What are you thinking about? What do you want to know about? I mean, I don't have all the answers. I don't wake up and just know everything there is to know about technology. I explore and I figure it out, and I also know the ways to figure this stuff out, and that really helps me out. I'm going to do my best to use my knowledge to help you out. I'm on a journey just like you with all of this stuff. You know, I get a gadget for Christmas and I got to figure it out, just like you. I've got a wife, i've got two kids, I've got a full time job. I've got a lot to juggle, and you know, reading the manuals has never been my forte. I kind of like to figure it out as I go along. And in twenty twenty three, I'll be figuring out how to get organized. Like digital photos and files, they've become a mess, just like yours have. I bet I've got Google Drive, I've got Apple Cloud Storage, I've got my phone. I've got all kinds of things in different places, and I want to figure out how am I going to dupe? How am I going to organize? That's my goal this year. Also, how to become more productive, how to keep tracking my notes. I've been journaling on a daily basis, which is really fun? What's the best to do list? App I've been trying to figure that out. My hope with this show is to inspire you. It's to make you smile, it's to make you think, it's to make you laugh, and overall, just make you enjoy our time together. That's really what it's all about. You're giving me your time. If that's not fun, then you probably got to go somewhere else. It's got to be fun for this to be interesting. Now. I just got back from CS twenty twenty three. This is the big tech show in Las Vegas. I've been going to this for over a decade and this year things were back in full swing. Last year, the year before, it's been a little rough for the show, obviously because of the pandemic. But this year it was. It was pretty incredible. There is so much to see. I did not get to see it all. But you know, people complain about ces. They say how big it is, they say how annoying it is, how they get sick, how they get tired, how they have to walk. I will embrace every bit of that because at the end of the day, this is where you see the stuff that I'm going to be talking about for the next year or two. This is where I get to see my friends. This is where I get to see pr folks that I connect with over email and I just know them by an email account. This is how business gets done in person. I get it. We've been remote, we've been hybrid. You could do your job from anywhere these days. But when you're in person, you actually get to connect with a human being, and that is still the most magical experience we have as humans. You're listening to me right now through some sort of speaker or headset, and we feel connected. But if you see me in person, it's a whole different world. You get to say, hey, rich you know, I like what you do. I see thanks for this, I like that post. It's just a different connection that you can't have any other way in this world. But I'll take this too, because this is really fun. At CS always the TVs. They're getting bigger, they're getting slimmer. Eight K still a buzzy thing. We also saw wireless TVs. I drove to CES because I like driving. I like my time. I like that time in the car to just kind of enjoy and you know, disconnect from the world. I mean, it's a couple of hours where I can't check my social media while I'm driving, and it's kind of a glorious thing. Is CS a ton of work? Absolutely? Is it all worth it? One hundred percent. I even got to go to a concert. While I was there, I saw Imagine Dragons, and you know, everything you do there is for a reason. Imagine Dragons was presented by Dolby. It was in their theater that they have at Park MGM, and it was presented and Dole me at most. So again, everything you do just adds to that perspective that you have as a journalist, as a tech person, and quite honestly, if you haven't seen Imagine Dragons, very inspiring concert. I had a fantastic time. I went with my photographer Luis. It was late, we were tired, it was after a full day of work, and we really really enjoyed ourselves and I can't say how inspiring that concert was. I never realized just what an impact someone like that can make on me. All right, coming up, we are going to take your very first call at one eight eight eight rich one oh one. Again. The phone number to the show is triple eight seven four to two four one zero one. That is the direct line for me. If you don't call, I've got some questions that you've emailed me. Again. I'm at rich on Tech on social media, my website rich on tech dot tv. Coming up, we're gonna talk ab the airline, the major airline that is now giving free Wi Fi not just to select passengers but to all passengers, and does that mean we're going to see more of that? Plus Apple Fitness, I'm going to tell you about their latest workout, which I don't think I've ever done before, but you know what, maybe I'll try it. My name is rich dmiro. You're listening to rich on Tech. More of the show after this, plus you your calls coming up. Welcome back to the show, rich DeMuro here rich on Tech. It's a whole new show here on the radio, taking your calls, talking about technology and just breaking down the news of the week. We're going to talk about CS some of the cool things I saw there. We're going to talk to Brian Tong, mister CS, one of my good friends who hosts the show every year. He was there with me in Las Vegas. We'll talk about some of the cool stuff we saw and most importantly, we're taking your phone calls. The phone number is triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. If you're thanks joining once again. My name is Rich Demiro, new host of this radio show called Rich on Tech. All right, let's do this. This is another little piece of history.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: See if I can reach the phone here, we're going to take our very first caller, and it is Mary in Downie. Mary in Downie, you are on with Rich on Tech. How's it going?
Speaker 3: Good morning, Rich. First of all, I would like to say congratulations on your new show. I've been following you on KTLA for years.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you so much. I can you hear the excitement and the nervousness in my voice. I was surprised I didn't get a notification from my Apple Watch saying your heart rate is a little higher than typical.
Speaker 3: No, you sound really confident, just as you always do.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. What can I help you with today? What's going on in your life?
Speaker 3: So my question is, when I'm in my car, my cell phone, my android connects to my car and it says do I want to auto connect to the car's wife? I don't have it on auto connect. I'm a boomer. I would like for you to explain the difference between my celf, WiFi, my car and Wi Fi, or even at work I connect to a hotspot. Can you explain all those different terms for me?
Speaker 1: Oh? Absolutely, This is a great question, and it's funny. I was just talking about this yesterday. I was in Vegas and I was saying how I rarely connect my phone to the Wi Fi network at the hotel because I'd rather if I have a good signal on my phone, I'm going to use my LTE or my cellular or my you know, five G signal. So you've got a couple things going on. I mean, you've got cellular, which is the connection between your phone and your carrier. So whether you have Verizon, T Mobile, at and T or one of the smaller carriers out there, that's a direct connection between your phone and the tower. You've seen them all over town, you know. Sometimes they look like trees. Sometimes they just look like a bunch of speakers on a pole. That's a direct connection. That's also the most secure connection you can have between your phone and the network. So if you're doing anything like banking, anything really private. I always recommend turning off Wi Fi and using just the direct cellular connection. Now, when you get into your car, your car could have two connections, So the Wi Fi connection in your car, your car may be equipped with a cellular connection. A lot of the new cars are equipped with that. And that cellular connection means that you pay a monthly fee or it's somehow included in the price of your car, and it is connecting to a network. And the benefit of that is that your car probably has a higher powered antenna than your phone, which means you're going to grab a signal in more places with the LTE or the five G connection in your car. And so your car is physically or I guess wirelessly connected. If it was physically connected to the cellular tower, you wouldn't go very far. But your car is wirelessly connected to the cellular tower, and that is giving a cellular connection to your car. And this can power things like streaming music. It can power things like streaming radio, and also the maps in your car and anything else that your car may use, you know, software updates, all that kind of stuff. Many cars today, I mean this is going back many years have those sort of connections. Now, why would you want your phone to connect to the Wi Fi that your car is emitting. Well, you might want a stronger connection in more places. You also might have a limited data plan on your phone, and maybe you want to use the data plan that's on your car, So those are some of the reasons why you might want to do that. The other reason is, you know you can use features like Android Auto wirelessly, so if you're not connecting to your car, Android Auto would not be able to connect wirelessly to take over the screen in the center console. So that's definitely another reason why you'd want to connect to the Wi Fi in your car, even if you're not using a Wi Fi connection per se, But that's the way your phone is is communicating with that center screen to take it over. Now, at work, this is a tricky topic because I'm also not a big fan of connecting my phone to the in work Wi Fi. Not that I'm doing anything wrong at work, but quite honestly, companies do have tracking software that they can potentially use on the Wi Fi networks at work, and depending on how your Wi Fi at work is set up, it could be very secure and you may have to accept some sort of what's called a trust certificate to actually use that Wi Fi, or you may have to use a network that is very insecure and open network. And the reality is these days Wi Fi is pretty secure for the most part. Unless someone's using a sophisticated device to sort of sniff out what's happening on the network, you're probably going to be okay. But I just rather there are so many implications of when you join a Wi Fi network, how you can be tracked and followed and monitored and notified, and I just would rather stay out of all of that. So typically, unless I'm doing something that requires a big download or a big upload, I'm just staying off the Wi Fi connection at work. If you have an unlimited cellular pro A plan on your phone, why do you need to be on the Wi Fi. It's something to think about. And I'm not saying that you have to, you know, disconnect from your company's Wi Fi today, but it's just one of those things. Maybe ask some questions like, hey, how is the Wi Fi set up, or what's the limitations or what are you monitoring for? Because you know, we do a lot of personal stuff on our phones, and most of it's encrypted so you should be okay. But the reality is, you know, they could potentially see when you come and go to work. They could see where you hang out at work. They can see when you connect, they can see when you disconnect, they can see websites that you go to. There are a lot of implications of any network that you connect to, and Bluetooth is very similar. So I think that knowing about this stuff and being away of it is the smart thing. And Mary, I think that you know, just asking these questions like this is a smart thing because you're curious and that's always the first step to just being on top of things. So thank you Mary in Downy, California for having the very first question on the Rich on Tech radio show. We've got a lot more in store coming up. We're going to talk to Brian Tong. He has a podcast, he has a YouTube channel. He used to be at Cena and he is the host of CS for the past couple of years. So we are going to talk about CEES twenty twenty three and all the fun stuff we saw with guest Brian Tong. Coming up. My name is Rich Demiro. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. My name is Rich dmiro and this is the show where we talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer the questions that you call in with. Joining me now is Brian Tong. He's a content creator for technology. He's this year's host of CS twenty twenty three and an all around nice guy. Brian. Welcome to the show and history once again. You're the first guest on this brand new radio show. How you doing on this day?
Speaker 4: Rich, I am honored to be part of such a exclusive group of individual and I thank you so much. We go way back in This is awesome, so I'm happy to be here. Bro.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, thank you. Congratulations to Brian. Brian and I used to both work at c net technology website, and Brian is on his own He does all kinds of cool tech stuff on YouTube and also your podcast where you talk about all things Apple. How has it been you are still at CTS right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm hosting the show, but I'm going to take a break to talk to one of my good friends. And we saw each other here, but see us. I think this year right, last year was a pandemic kind of recovery year or a transitional year where people really weren't sure whether they were coming or not. To me, when I see the boost, this feels like a fool on CEF. Even the amount of people here the show feels like maybe around eighty five to ninety percent of what we normally get, and I think that's actually a good thing. There's a point where CS was getting too crowded, and now that things have kind of changed, there's people that aren't going to come back to conventions as much. But I think the energy and also more than I think, we've seen a lot of companies who during this roughly two and a half year period have done things that I don't think they might have done if things were kind of going year after year iner you know, and just kind of be more iterative. I think it for the companies to really be a lot more innovative.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and also the breadth of companies, like the stuff that we've seen, I mean stuff like john Gear, Caterpillar, I mean a car tech. It's there's so many things that have expanded now. So Brian is the host for CS, so you do videos for CS. You kind of get the inside scoop on everything that's happening there. So you've really seen it all, and you've seen like the biggest stuff, you see the small stuff. So one of the trends we saw this year is I guess we're going to have wireless TVs because LG had THEIRS on display and then there was a startup the name is evading me right now, maybe you remember it, but they also had a wireless TV. LG still had a plug the startup they did not have a plug at all, Like it's a phone a TV that you reach arge, did you see either of these?
Speaker 4: I saw, I got my I got definitely time with the LG wireless TV. I don't know about the startup because there's so many products that we're only two men.
Speaker 6: It's like we can't cover everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, with wireless transmission to a TV, whether or even wireless transmission to a home theater system, this is honestly been the holy grail for a while for home entertainment. I remember I've been at CS for fifteen years now, and I remember some of my early years there were demos that are done private suite that were showing off like hey, we have a wireless audio system and we have wireless, and they never came to fruition, like.
Speaker 1: Hey, they had wireless HDMI as well, remember that. I mean I remember seeing this, and of course it was like it was like a little adapter that you put on the back of your TV and it had to be I think it's like a line of sight or something. By the way, the TV that's the startup is called Displace TV.
Speaker 4: Oh that's good.
Speaker 1: Displace, you said, yeah, Displace. And by the way, the TV apparently has suction cups on the back so you can just literally stick it anywhere. Now I would not. I don't know if you've ever used a command strip on your wall, but mine fall off like once a year. Stuff that I put up like the year before just falls off in succession, like all the pictures. So I'm not ready to use I'm not ready to stick a TV on my wall.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean you you might not be ready now, but when you see what LG is doing, you know they have their own proprietary I guess ecosystem and connection. The fact that you're sending not just a video signal and audio signal, but a four K refress rate, which is, you know, more than enough for gaming. I mean, if you want hire, sure, most people are gonna actually be playing gaming on monitors, but now more TVs are getting higher refresh rates. The big thing here is, though, people that are really into this whole minimalist design, one of the biggest things that you always have to struggle with is wires. These are first world problems, rich, but no wire a table clutter of TVs right, and can you imagine just literally mounting a TV now truly no wires. It would look so clean, so beautiful and get all the benefits of Dolby autmost Audio, Adobe Vision Video four K one hundred and twenty herd Like, this is a big this to me for the home get or junkie who's been waiting for this for arguably ten years and has been told it's coming. The fact that LG now has it nailed down tells me that it's actually here. I mean, LG is a brand y. I own an LGTV, and it.
Speaker 1: Will happen because here's the thing. LG showed off the rollable TV. I think it was like four years ago. It was like a it went from early prototype to like, okay, it's really expensive, and then it's like okay, now it's here. Now it's still expensive, but that's the beauty of technology is that it does come down in price over time, no problem. So we will see wireless TVs. It'll give you this the flexibility to I remember every time I got a new apartment back in the day, your TV was determined by where that little cable came up in the floor, like from the last personally is it? And now it's like to go from that to just putting your your entertainment stuff where you want it in your room, and then your TV where you want it is a whole bay thing. All right, let's talk about this this BMW color changing car. Did you get to see that?
Speaker 4: Yes, got to see that up close. On The good thing is that last year they also I also got to see it up close. This is a concept design. It's called the I BMW I Vision D as spelled D. And last year, yeah, last year they they showed it off as a black and white concept and it was a wrap on one of their current existing cars. It was very geometric, but what it was is like, hey, we've got a color changing car. It showed off cool black and white patterns. But this year they wrapped it on a streamlined car design to really actually take advantage of these e ink panels. So for people that aren't familiar e ink, which is like on an Amazon kindle, you're familiar it being in black and white. There are companies that make e ink that actually is in color, and so what BMW has done is essentially partnered with one of those companies and wrapped a car, but wrapped it specifically with this car is designed with Queen lines to allow this ink raped to be just really tight. It just looks like it's it's been dipped in this stuff and it's yeah, it's incredible in amazing to see. I have some video footage that that that'll be going up about it, but it's captured everyone's imagination. There's not a single person who hasn't seen it that said they loved it. I talked to BMW and the person who's responds her name is a doctor Stella. I can't remember her last name, but she's been a part of this project from the beginning. It's been really a true passion project for her. And she talks about the advances of even the rap that they put on. If you when there's cut lines, you know, a car has grooves and whatnot. You actually cannot cut this ink material too many times otherwise it pretty much breaks down the electrical signal that goes through a panel and then would prevent it from sending a single that allows it to change color.
Speaker 7: So they have to be very strategic.
Speaker 4: In how they wrap this car and where the cut lines are. It's the most it's the most incredible thing. But this is not coming out any times things right, They're still developing more things with it, but she says she even sees me like, oh, we have more ideas for next year, don't worry. I was like wow.
Speaker 1: But again, the reality is when we see these things, we know that they will be coming out in the future. Sony and Honda working together on their new car called a FeelA. What do you think of that name? Are you a feeling it?
Speaker 6: Rich?
Speaker 8: I got a feeler that's a nice gonna.
Speaker 7: Be good night, Okay, I'll stop.
Speaker 4: Your listeners are just I don't want them to see now. But I think it's an incredible, fascinating idea where we've seen the electric vehicle space, you know, for a while, ben Argue quite honestly dominate at least here in the US by Tesla. You now have actual car manufacturers who really have a better fit and finish when we talk about some of the aspects of a car that are that are better than a Tesla, but Tesla has that. It's like a it's like a technology exhibition, and they have a better charging network right now, but as time has gone on, charging networks will continue to grow. These other companies that are behind, they're actually garnering more interest because of think about this, right, Honda and Sony partnering together and then also using a Qualcom ship inside it. Those are three tech giants basically saying, hey, we need to work together as a you know, a triple threat. Yeah, to make something that is special. Like they've seen the landscape and they're not trying to do this alone.
Speaker 7: They're like, let's work together.
Speaker 1: And that's a big electronic experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a huge deal and it's fascinating and I.
Speaker 1: Love the idea that we're seeing more competition in this electric car space. I think Sony, look, we've got Apple jumping into the mix. At some point, You've got Sony, You've got Honda. I mean, we are just at the beginning of what we're seeing with all this stuff all right, Brian Tong, thanks so much for joining me. Where can folks find you online? Real quick?
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you want to go follow my YouTube channel. It's just YouTube dot com slash Briantong br I a Mtong Twitter. I'm really active there. Brian Tong on Instagram. No, Stra Tong is You're just gonna have to type it in and find it.
Speaker 1: Thanks Brian rich thanks for joining me from CS twenty twenty three. Brian Tong. My name is Rich Damiro. You are listening to Rich on Tech. More of your calls coming up next. Welcome back, Rich Demiro Here, Rich on Tech. This is the radio show where we talk about tech stuff, basically the stuff I think you should know about. Plus it's the place where I answer your questions. Let's go to Carlos in Van Eyes. Carlos and Van Eyes, you are on with Rich. Did I get the right I don't. Did I get the right one?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't know. This is Rick and Lamesa. See. You know, it's my first day. It's a new job. You know I've been you know, I've been in my TV career for a long time, and I still don't know how to press a button on a phone. But anyway, Rick and La Mesa, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: There must be something to do with us. Both happened the greatest name on Earth Rich.
Speaker 1: Now, you know what's funny about having the name rich is that I get called Rick all the time, even though I've never introduced myself as Rick. But it's like one of those interchangeable things, right, I guess, Yeah, I hear you, So is your real is your actual name Richard? Okay, there you go. So my family calls me Richard, which means I'm in trouble if I'm hearing that name. So, uh, Rick, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: I was wondering about this five G thing. You know, I supposedly I'll see my phone then the five G, but I don't know if it's really using five G. How on the heck do you see what your phone is actually using for service?
Speaker 1: Good question? Which carrier do you have? Okay? So with Verizon there's a couple things. So this is a great question because you know, we've heard so much hype about five G and what does it mean? So number one, you know, four G networks are still pretty good. They were, It's they're well built out. If you see an LTE on your phone, that means you're still on four G. If you see five G, that means you're on the latest, greatest five G network, which is sort of an upgrade. It's a little bit better than four G. Now what you really want to look for is this new thing. This is five G plus five GUW and five GUC. So you're on Verizon. When you see five GUW, that means ultra wideband. That means you're getting Verizon's best, absolute, most cutting edge network, and it's going to be really fast, Like I'm talking faster than almost all the Wi Fi networks that you're using. And I've seen speeds that are just incredible on these UW networks. For T Mobile, it's five G u C And I was in Vegas over the last week and T Mobile had a lot of UC there. Ultracapacity, that's what that means. And it just means that that's the real, real, you know, the spectrum that these carriers have been wanting for so many years that enables them to do so many more things like home internet, like really basically ditch Wi Fi altogether at some point in our lives because these networks are going to be so ubiquitous and so fast and just so capable that we won't really need that. So how do you know which icon or which service you're on? On the iPhone? You swipe down from the upper right hand corner and then it'll show you in your control center, you know, Verizon five G, five GUW. There's also a couple of settings you can look at on the iPhone. If you go into your settings and Cellular, you can actually choose which network you want to be on. You can say, you know, I only want five G or I only want LTE. And the reason why you might want to switch networks is because, let's say you're in a really congested place, like a stadium, and maybe that stadium is not fully upgraded to you know, these new five G networks, and so you're having trouble getting a tweet through or a picture through to Instagram. Sometimes it might be helpful to drop back to an LTE network because guess what, less are on it now, because everyone wants to be on the fancy new five G network. That's kind of the bottom line with these networks. I think that the thing to know is that number one, they're not everywhere. So these carriers are very much still working on their five G networks, and that means sometimes you may see a five G signal, sometimes you may not. You may see a five G in one place, you may see lt E in another. You may see the UW or the PLUS or the UC in various places. Usually at this point, the PLUS, the UW, and the UC are in you know, city centers, freeways, stadiums, downtowns, anywhere there's a large amount of people. They've sort of built out the ultra capacity in those areas first, and then eventually it will make its way to more neighborhoods. I know Verizon, I was just talking with them about this and they were telling me that they're getting there. You know, they've covered a bunch of the population in the US, but there's still work to do. You also may see fluctuations in some of these networks. Sometimes they work really well. Sometimes you may have some trouble. And I know that some of the carriers are actually proactively texting users in certain areas saying, hey, look, we're working on the towers in your neighborhood. You may have some you know, some spotty connections, or you may be using a connection that's from a network that's or a tower that's further away. So just be aware. I know where I you know, work on a daily basis in Hollywood. Yeah, go ahead, Rick, would you want to add.
Speaker 5: Oh, real quick, you know I had the big hope to cut the wire by starting to use five G for my home internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so did I.
Speaker 5: It's just like you're talking about the signal that isn't available real strong in my neighborhood yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me either. I've got I still have LTE where I live. And it's kind of wild because if you go down the street, it's got five G and it's got UW.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what I see, same thing.
Speaker 1: And I'd love to switch to one of those, you know, either the T Mobile Home Internet or the Verizon. I mean, they're they're very competitive right now. I think it's like twenty five dollars a month or something. That seems pretty incredible. Uh, if you have that signal and people are wondering, like, wait a second, how can I replace this like wire that comes into my house with a cellular signal and power all my stuff. But that's what this spectrum allows them to do because UW and you see is so broad and it's got so much power it enables you to do that.
Speaker 5: So Rick gret question the hotspot.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's like setting up a hot spot, except you know, you've got a better antenna. It's it's more high powered and so it's just gonna work a whole lot better. Thanks for the question. And yeah, a lot of mystery around all this stuff, you know, that's that's just how it is with with anything that changes in tech. All right, now let's go to Carlos in van Ey's Carlos, you're on with Rich on Tech? What's up?
Speaker 6: Rich?
Speaker 8: Congratulations a niche show. Uh, you know, it's better to free meeting to listen to you on a Sunday, and it is try to get you on a Friday when you can do your podcast. But so congratulations on that.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, I know the podcast was you know, I typically did it on Fridays, but you know sometimes it was all over the place, just depended on my broadcast schedule. So the fact that this is a shift that is a scheduled thing will be a lot better for many many people. So what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 8: So I'm looking at getting a wireless doorbell. So have you tested any of them that you feel that are better than others.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, you've got a couple of players in this area. You've got Google with the Nest, You've got Why's, and you've got Ring, and so I think what it really comes down to personally, I use Ring. In fact, I just talked to Jamie yesterday, the guy who started Ring, and I said to him, I said, Jamie, you did pretty well, you know, because I remember meeting with him when he first had his first doorbell, was called the Doorbough and we tested it at Katla. This must have been ten years ago, and you know, it was kind of wonky. It was the first of its kind. And I said, you know, you did pretty well. You know, selling too Amazon for a billion dollars. And so I think Ring, you know, they invented the genre. I think that they have the most products that sort of work around it. I think Whys is really good too, But it just it kind of depends on what other smart home stuff you have. Do you have any other products from different companies? Do you have Alexa, do you have Amazon?
Speaker 8: Do you have oh yeah, everything in the house. So we have a Google Hub you know, we have Alexa devices all over the place. So you know, my other question I guess was on top of that is I guess the monthly fee, you know, because that was my biggest concern is that you know, you pay for the device, but then you have a monthly fee that you have to worry about, right, And.
Speaker 1: I think that's why it comes down to the ecosystem that you want to be in, because if you're on Ring, you're going to pay you know, the ten dollars or twenty dollars a month, depending on whether you have their alarm system, and that will include all of your various door bells and things like that. Wise obviously has their own conventions for how they do it, and Nest I think I pay like twelve bucks a month for that stuff. So I think you have to kind of pick an ecosystem and then go from there because once you start mixing and matching, it's very complicated. Things will change later on, but that's where we're at right now. Carlos, thanks so much for your question. You are listening to Rich on Tech. My name is rich Demiro. We'll have more of your calls and more news tech news coming up. Welcome, back to Rich on Tech. My name is Rich Dmiro and this is the show we talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer the questions you ask me. If you're just joining, you might be wondering what happened to Leo? Where is Leo? Well, I hope he's sleeping in today. After nineteen years, Leo Laporte has retired from this radio show. And now you've got me. I am your guide through all things tech. We're gonna have a great time. Today is the beginning of something new, of something fun, something different. And I don't know if you can tell, but I'm a pretty positive guy. I've got a pretty positive outlook on things. And that's just the way I roll, you know. I feel like we are all given this opportunity here to just enjoy, right. And if you go through and you're sitting there and you're seeing everything in a negative light and a critical light, I think critical is good. I think negative is not good. There's a difference between the two. It could be subtle sometimes, but it's there. And yes, I am very critical of a lot of things. And believe me, you should see me try to make a decision about something. It doesn't come fast. You know, my wife at the you know, anytime we have to do something, whether it's book a plane ticket or you know, just anything at a store, there's a lot of thought that goes into it. And there's a reason for that, because I am critical of the decisions I make and the things that I do and the stuff that I put in my life. And that's all for a reason, because, like I said, we get one chance to be here, and I want to make it as good as possible. And I hope that you joining me here today is part of that journey, part of that excitement, and part of that positivity. We're going to talk about tech. I mean, that's what this show is all about.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: But you're not gonna hear me, you know, complain about a lot of things. I mean, now you'll probably hear me go off some sometimes about stuff. Believe me, if you've listened to my podcast, you know I get on a tangent sometimes when it comes to stuff that I get a little angry about, especially when tech companies push us into a corner. I don't like that. The phone number for the show is triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight rich one oh one. You can find me on social media on Instagram, on Twitter, on Facebook. What else is there out there? I think those are the big ones. I am at rich on Tech on all of those. I'm also the tech reporter for KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. So if you see me on your morning TV and you say, wait, is that the same guy? Yep, it's the same guy. It's me getting up early during the week and then here on the weekends to do this show. So it's a lot of fun to do it all because during the week I see so much stuff, you know, come through my desk, and it's like, now I get some time to really talk to you about it in depth. And TV is great, but it's quick. You know, you say that what did he just say? What was that? Hold on? That looks really cool? And now you've got think of this as office hours, Right, you see something cool on TV? Hey, Rich can I ask you more about that?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: A couple of things happening this week that are interesting. Apple Fitness Plus this is a great way. If you haven't tested this or tried it out, give it a chance. It's the new year. I know everyone's joining a gym right now. But you know, this is something that you can do with your phone. With it, it used to require an Apple Watch, so if you haven't looked at it in a while, it no longer requires an Apple Watch. It used to that was like your your ticket in. You don't need that anymore. You just need an iPhone or I think an iPad as well. But Apple Fitness Plus is sort of Apple's online fitness clos and it of course has a high tech twist. It gives your you know, data from the Apple Watch if you have one of those. But it's really well done and I think this this got me through the pandemic. They launched it during the pandemic when you know, nobody could go to the gym. They didn't do that on purpose, It just timed out that way, and so I started doing it during the pandemic and it was fantastic. And you know, I did also the Peloton stuff. But I go back and forth between Apple Fitness. I think they're really good for their classes and I really like Peloton for the actual bike workouts and the running workouts. So you kind of can choose what you want. But anyway, Beginning January ninth, that's in a couple of days here, Apple Fitness Plus will introduce a new workout, kickboxing. I've never done that before, so you can try kickboxing now. You know, it can be intimidating to do one of these classes at a big gym, right. I remember the first time I went to like a spin class at the gym. It was so intimidating. I don't think I ever went again, because you know, how do you clip those shoes on? How do you do the bike? How do you adjust this stuff? Like you feel like, oh, everyone knows what they're doing and I don't, And so it could be really alienating at a gym to try new things and to even use a piece of equipment that you've never used before, because there's always someone else that's like, hey, can I get on there? I know what I'm doing, and you're looking around like, am I the only person that doesn't know what I'm doing in here? So this could be a good way to try kickboxing. So, starting January ninth, Fitness Plus is adding kickboxing as a new total body cardio workout type. You don't need any equipment. Workouts are ten, twenty or thirty minutes and that's What I love about Apple Fitness Plus is that you basically it's almost like a search engine for workouts, so you can narrow down and say, oh, I've got a pair of dumbells, I'll use those, or I want to do upper body, or I want to do lower body, or I want to do ten minutes, twenty minutes, thirty minutes. It's really fantastic, So check that out. My favorite are the strength training workouts on there, because you know, they teach you how to do the stuff that you're doing and it doesn't really require much equipment at all, maybe a couple of, you know, dumbbells. They also have this new sleep meditation, so I know, sleep is becoming like a thing, right. I mean it's always been a thing, but we're seeing more of an emphasis on the health benefits of good sleep. And I think some of that's partly due to the wearables that we're seeing, like the Aura ring and of course the Apple Watch and all the other wearables that measure your sleep, and so people are interested in how am I sleeping. Oh, I got a bad night's sleep last night because I went out all night and I went bed late, or I got a good night's sleep because I took care of myself before I went to bed and it was kind of nice to, you know, relax without my screen for an hour. So we're learning that sleep could be good for us. And so with that in mind, now there is a brand new sleep meditation theme, and so they've got nine other themes for meditation, including calm, gratitude, resilience, and creativity. But they're going to do new sleep meditations every week. So that's a good way I might try that. I, because I wake up so early on a daily basis, don't really have trouble sleeping when you're so exhausted at the end of the day. He just kind of collapse into bed. But you know, there there are days when you're like I could use like a disconnection from the world for a couple of minutes before I turned down. And finally, Apple Fitness Plus will have new episodes of Time to Walk. I really discounted Time to Walk when it came out. It came out during the pandemic, and I was like, I don't need to walk to someone talking to me, and it took me a while. I actually started trying it when they did Time to Run, and I was like, all right, running's kind of more my thing. I'm a big runner. I love running. Let me try running with one of these audio guided experiences, and I fell in love with it. It's such a great thing. If you haven't tried it, give it a chance. But walk is basically very similar. It's you know, you any you know, you go outside, you walk. You pop one of these things on and they're adding you know different. They're not always celebrities, but they're important people, notable people. And Jamie Lee Curtis is going to be new She's gonna kick off the fifth season of This Time to Walk And basically every week there's a different person that you can walk with and you kind of learn from them. They play music, they talk. It's really cool. I mean, if you like the person, it's like bonus points. Otherwise you learn. Jason Siegel made famous on How I Met Your Mother, He'll also be on there. Jose Andres, the Spanish Chef, he'll also be on there. Cheryl Lee Ralph, she stars in Abbott Elementary, a very popular show. She will be on there as well. So again, check it out. Apple Fitness Plus is not free, but you can often get a free trial if you have the Target app. They're like almost a Target and Best Buy are always offering like free trials for this, so check that out. Otherwise, it's ten bucks a month or eighty dollars a year for Apple Fitness Plus. All right, speaking of free tea, Mobile and Delta Airlines teaming up to give all passengers free in flight Wi Fi. Now I love this. I've watched Wi fi go from non existent on flights to very expensive on flights, too cheaper, like on my last United flight it was like eight bucks to now free. So Delta sky Miles members will get free WiFi. Oh there's the catch, you got to be a sky Miles member. Well, it's free to sign up and you could actually do it on the plane. So beginning February first, you will get free Wi Fi. There's no really no strings here. You'll get to connect your tablet, your phone, your laptop, whatever you need. And the best part is if you forget to sign up for sky Miles on the ground, you can actually sign up for free while you're on the plane. Now, this is sponsored by T Mobile. So do we know if this is something that's permanent or if it's something that's you know, you know, something that may expire after T Mobile says all right, we're done. But the reality is this is amazing. I used to think that the plane was like the last kind of quiet time where you can disconnect from the world because you didn't have Internet. But you know, as I get older and more war and it's just it's a time where maybe you just want to be connected and check your messages and do things. It's kind of nice to have that Wi Fi connection. So next time you're on a Delta flight, starting February, first free Wi Fi thanks to T Mobile, you don't have to be a T Mobile customer. And I think what's great about this is hopefully, hopefully it'll push more airlines to offer free Wi Fi. I know Jet Blue does, but among the major carriers now, Delta is the first to do that. All right, once again, my name is rich Dmiro. You are listening to rich on Tech. Coming up, we're going to take more of your calls at eight eight eight rich one oh one. Plus, we're gonna talk about LG's color changing refrigerator. Yes, a refrigerator door, four of them that change color. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. I'm Rich Demiro and Angie is in Huntington Beach. Angie, You're on with Rich. Oh we lost Angie. Sorry, Angie, try to back you know, still learn how to use a phone. Here. Laala is in Orange Laala, You're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: I'm Rich.
Speaker 10: Good to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for having thanks for listening. I mean thanks for having me on. Usually I'm saying that to the other person having me on their radio show. Now now I'm the one having you on the radio show. So how's it going today?
Speaker 10: Hey, you have helped me so much through Instagram. I just wanted to thank you for always answering my stupid questions.
Speaker 1: There are no stupid questions there there. Let's just make that clear. There are no stupid questions. I believe me. Now, I may give stupid answers, but there are no stupid questions. In fact, like I said earlier in the show, I get some of my best story ideas and feedback from Instagram because I've got so many folks on there that are like texting me. I call it texting. I know it's DM, but yeah, it tells me like what you're thinking about, you know what I mean? Like I may that may not be something in my life, but you may have something in life and I'm like, oh, that's interesting, and I get some of my best tips my reels. By the way, I'm at rich on tech. If you're not following me, I think it's kind of fun. Like I really put a lot of myself on Instagram, So that's that's kind of what you're talking about is just you know, it's a It's a wide range of stuff from junk food that I eat to you know, tech stuff. So what's on your mind today.
Speaker 10: One of the reasons why I always follow you is because you really keep it real.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you.
Speaker 10: Well that's I mean, so congratulations on this show. I can't think of a better person to try and fill Leo's shoes, so put you the best in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I'm excited for twenty twenty three. I mean it's a new start. I mean I've been doing TV for I don't want to say how many years, but a lot. I mean, when do you get to, like, you know, midway through your career, start something completely new and different And TV's not going away. By the way, people have been asking me, like, wait, are you are you getting off of you know, KT light?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, like that's the plan is to do both, like I'm not trying to, you know, do one or the other. Like it's I think the beauty is to do both because it's so fun to have both things happening.
Speaker 10: So well, good for you, Good for you, congratulations cool.
Speaker 1: Is there something I can help you with today or do you just want to get there?
Speaker 9: Okay, there is there is.
Speaker 10: I like to keep my personal living address as private as possible.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so.
Speaker 10: For example, the company I work for, I give them a PO box.
Speaker 1: Yep, Okay, they're like, now, what what's Lala doing that she needs to give us a PO box?
Speaker 9: Yeah exactly, exactly.
Speaker 10: Well, you know everyone has a good human resources company that keeps everything confidential, right, yeah hopefully, so you know how that goes. And there is a situation I was in several years ago that someone got my home address and it was not fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I get it, I believe me. I privacy is a huge important tenant of life, and it's it's eroding with the internet. So so correct, what do you want to do? You want the PO box?
Speaker 10: And what I understand that if someone really wanted to find out my mailing address. They really could because everything.
Speaker 9: Is out there.
Speaker 10: I understand that. But the USPS is now raising once again for the second year in a row, the price.
Speaker 9: Of PO boxes.
Speaker 10: The very very smallest PO box, I pay them forty two dollars for a month.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's a lot.
Speaker 10: So I'm wondering what you know about I postal one which is a virtual PO box, okay, or anything that I can do well?
Speaker 1: And how much are they charging.
Speaker 10: Nine a month for thirty pieces of items or less? And you could they scan them in for you?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 10: You could go down to the address and actually pick them up.
Speaker 1: Yep if you need to, yep. And okay. So looking this one up, it says over twenty five hundred locations worldwide. Is there a location near you that you can pick up your physical stuff from?
Speaker 9: There is actually in a staple?
Speaker 1: Oh oh interesting. Oh that's smart that they kind of partnered with them. I think it's a great idea. I think that it's smart. And I actually watched an entire there's a series about a startup that was doing this, and you know, this was a couple of years ago. But you know, the big thing is it's tricky, and you want to make sure that that address lasts for a while because it's kind of a pain to switch your address very often and you don't want to have to do that. So the way that these work typically is that you know, you sign up for one of these virtual mailbox services, They get your mail, they scan your mail in so you can see if it's important and if their system is good, you know, you can just trash mail virtually, like right from your app or your desktop and say, okay, you can throw that out. You can throw that out. Oh, that one I actually need to go grab from the box, and then of course you may be able to get packages there depending on your plan. I think it's great. I think it's something that you should do if you trust the company. The fact that this ipostal one has twenty five hundred locations is a good sign because the main thing is that you just want this to be around for a while, and they're saying that the according to their website, the number one digital mailbox service worldwide. Now, the downside is you just need to know what this plan includes, so it may not include certain things, you know, and that's that's what kind of you have to look at for that nine to ninety nine a month, like, what do they give you? You know, do you get packages there? Can you get mail there? I'm looking at this maximum names per address one personal name. You know, receive first class mail in packages, So it looks like you can get all this stuff. Now I'm looking here. It says free storage is thirty days and that's for mail, and then free storage for boxes ten days and that depends on the side to the box, and then five days for really big boxes. And of course you can probably pay more for them to forward you this mail if you don't want to go in, So this is probably good of also for someone who has like an RV or travels a lot. I've had a Peo box pretty much my entire life because I find it to be very convenient and it's simple and you can give out that address without worrying. When I publish my book there, you know, people could come and they could pick up the book if I signed it, they could just go there and grab it. So there's many, many benefits to having a Peo box. I think virtual is a next logical step, and what you're really paying for is that service that allows them to scan your documents, and let's be honest, ninety nine percent of the mail we get physical mail you don't really need, you know, it goes right into the trash. And so they're banking on the fact that most of the mail they don't have to store. They just scan it. It goes in and you can look it out on your app and sort of flick it left or right, kind of like a Tinder for mail. Do I need this? Yes? Do I not need that?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 1: So great question, la la. I say, go for it and let me know how it goes, and maybe I'm going to look into this. This is kind of a good idea. So cool. Thanks so much for listening. This is rich on Tech coming up more of your calls at triple eight rich one oh one. Plus we're going to talk about LG's color changing refrigerator. LG's color changing refrigerator coming up on rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here, rich on Tech. You're listening to the show where we talk about tech stuff and answer your tech questions. Phone lines are open triple eight rich one oh one, eight eight eight rich one oh one. My name is Rich DeMuro and uh just got back from CS twenty twenty three in Las Vegas, and so much to see there. I mean, there's just no way one human being can see it all. And I was there for a week Monday through Friday, and uh, you know, I try my best, but there is just I mean, I think over three thousand exhibitors this year, not to mention the crowds. Not to mention, it's spread all of cross Las Vegas. It's not just in one place. You know, it's in the convention Center. There's also the new part of the convention Center that is like a ten minute walk from the old convention center. And then you've got the hotels and the hotel rooms and the suites, and then you've got the ballrooms. I mean there's a lot. I think one day I did what I do, twenty thousand steps in one day. That's I think that's a lot. Anyway, don't worry about me. I thought it was fun to walk all these things. But one thing I saw that was pretty cool. LG new refrigerator called the mood Up and this is just you know, it's look, I don't expect you to buy this refrigerator tomorrow. But what I love about stuff like this is it just shows that this is what's going to happen in the future, Like why choose the color of your refrigerator when you don't have to when you can change it? And so the mood up has four panels on it, and each one of these panels is an LED screen, so it's not like a computer screen per se, but it's an LED panel that lets you change the color. So it's kind of like a matte finish on the panel. If you don't want it to be a wild and wacky color, then it can just kind of blend in as a standard refrigerator color, whatever that may be for you and your kitchen. But if you want to have some fun, you can choose from twenty two colors for the upper refrigerator and nineteen for the lower. I don't know why the differential there, Like why can you only do twenty two on the top and nineteen on the bottom. I'm not sure, but the top is the refrigerator and the lower is the freezer. You can also have themes season Place healing and pop Healing. Elicits a feeling of well being through the use of soft soothing colors, creating a calming mindfulness space mindfulness that's a word we've heard a lot about. I thought this was pretty neat. It's just neat to be able to change the color. You can have some fun. Obviously, it can do different things. There's also built in Bluetooth, so you can connect this to a smartphone, a tablet, a laptop, or a PC and listen to music from your favorite streaming apps, so if you want to, you know, if you don't have like a dedicated speaker in the kitchen. You know, people gather in the kitchen when you have a get together. No matter where you put the your doors, people always seem to come back to the kitchen and stay there. I don't know why. It's just the way it is. It's just the place. It's the one place in the house that was never intended for people to hang out in. And yet every single time you have people over, where do you hang out in the kitchen? I don't know. That's just the way it is. I don't mind it. You can stream music. Let's see what else can you do? You can have notifications from your door, so if you leave the door open. You know, you've ever like left your refrigerator door open just slightly, and it's you know, emitting all that cold air into your house. Well, now the refrigerator door can blink to let you know, hey, this is not fully closed. My mom always said that it costs a nickel every time you open the refrigerator door. And so I do not keep the refrigerator door open for very long. You know, I'm not one of those people that just linger and looks like no, no, I go into the fridge. I open that door with purpose. I know exactly what I'm getting, I know where to look for it, and it's closed within seconds. Because you know, that's the way I grew up. He didn't leave the refrigerator door opened very long. It also has motion sensor, so it knows when someone walks into the kitchen, so it can blink kind of like a little welcoming blinking light when you walk into the kitchen, saying like oh, hey, fridge, I know you're here. I see you. From midnight snackers, the freezer door can illuminate brighter at night time to help you guide your way to the fridge. Does anyone really midnight snack? This is like something that's just sort of overplayed in like you know, stories and TV shows. No one actually midnight snacks do they. I can think of like zero times in my life when I got up in the middle of the night and got a midnight snack. If you challenge me on that, gimme a call. Triple eight rich one oh one. I've gotten up in the middle of the night and I've watched like an episode of a TV show, like if I can't sleep, and I told you, most of the time this doesn't happen, but if it does, I will get up. And I'm the kind of person that will just sit in front of the TV and watch an episode of Seinfeld or something like. I'm like, I'm using my time, and then you know, I'll fall asleep after that. But I'm not going to just sit there and like toss and turn forever and again. Once the refrigerator is you know, if you don't want the color, you can just do Lux gray or Lucks white, pricing all that stuff. Not really sure on this new mood up TV from LG, but kind of cool. I'm digging it. I think that some of the stuff we see coming out is it seems like it could be hokey, but at the same time, why not. I think that it'd be kind of cool. To be able to color change my fridge, especially if you have people over them. We all have those color changing lights, or a lot of us do. So why not Mark is in Houston. Mark, you're on with Rich on Tech. What's up? Mark? You're on?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Hey, Rich congratulations on your new show.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks, I appreciate it. What's going on?
Speaker 3: Missed?
Speaker 11: But I think it's pick the right guy for the to take over.
Speaker 1: Oh, I appreciate those words.
Speaker 11: Yes, considering a new phone, and I might even switch plans. And I know T Mobile. I know I'm jumping the gun a little early in the game. It may not happen for about a year, but I know T Mobile's teaming up with Starlink, and I'm just curious what that's going to do for their service. Are you going to get much better service than other network?
Speaker 1: Good question? So, yeah, the idea is that T Mobile announced this with Starlink, I don't know, a couple months ago. And you know, the idea is that Starlink has this nice network that's built out with satellites, actually an Elon Musk venture, and you know you're gonna get better. I think they said it was just messaging on the phone at this point, and here's the deal. Like, I wouldn't put much stock into this right now because there's not much that they announced that you can do with it. You know, you may have extra signal in certain places, you know, and obviously this starlink covers like everything, but the reality is, you know, I think with the iPhone adding satellite capability to their phone, for most people in most situations, that's probably going to be enough. I think that starlink with T Mobile once they get this up and running, which by the way, is going to take a while. And also we may not see support from every phone. Did they announce that they're going to have every phone compatible with this, because it probably will require a different antenna, I don't know. With this technology, T Mobile planning to give customers text coverage practically everywhere in the continental US, Hawaii and parts of Alaska, Puerto Rico, and waters even outside of T Mobile signal. So you know, again, it would be just messaging which is already available through the iPhone on the iPhone fourteen with satellite right now, to anyone has an iPhone fourteen, this is not even available yet, and it's planned and it's text messaging, which is great, which Apple is just giving you emergency messaging, so that's another differentiator here. But eventually T Mobile and Starlink will give voice and data coverage. But that's eventually, that's like beyond beyond, So this is early thing. I think that they wanted to build some buzz for this new feature, and I think it's cool, and I think it just again goes to show what's coming, but it's not here. And I don't think that you choose your carrier based on this. I think that if you want the satellite technology for peace of mind right now, I think the iPhone is the only game in town, and the iPhone fourteen models specifically with the satellite over SOS, and it's slow, and that's probably the way this one's going to be. It's a slow process to connect, it's a slow process to send messages. But the idea and the reality is that it's already saved lives, it will continue to save lives, and we will have connectivity at this point. If you have an iPhone fourteen, you're pretty much never disconnected from help anywhere you are in the US, and that's the idea here with T Mobile as well in the US and other places that you'll be able to not only get help but also text people as well. But it's a long ways off, and I think it's a little confusing because people might think they have this already or we're on the cusp of it. But with Team Mobile, they didn't really say what the timeline is on this, so it's going to be a bit and I think that you choose the carrier. I always give people the advice choose the carrier that works best where you live and where you work. Talk to some folks and see where those two things are, and that's the best carrier for you right now. If you're upgrading your phone, good question. Thanks for calling in, Mark from Houston, Texas. Rich tamiro here with you on a rich on Tech Saturday. We'll have more of your calls. Plus we'll talk about the gadget that helps you talk to your pet. Coming up. Welcome back to rich on Tech Omrich damiro answering your tech questions and talking about important topics happening in the tech world. Let's go to Angie in Huntington Beach. Angie, I think we got disconnected your back.
Speaker 9: Hey, Rick, thank you so much. I think I timed out on my weight. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyway it happens.
Speaker 9: I'm really happy to be talking to you, and I listen to you every morning on KTLA or I try to anyway every time you're there.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 9: I appreciate everything you've been doing. I'm so happy you've got this program going. Me too. So I am at the age where I had to get my very first hearing made okay, and it's it's really miniaturized, and I'm fased with a situation where I have to it goes over my ear, and then I have glasses to go over my ear, and then sometimes I have to wear masks that go over my ear. And guess what happens to the hearing.
Speaker 1: Yep, I can already predict. The mask of course messes with the hearing aid. It falls off, You lose.
Speaker 9: It exactly, and it's very expensive. And guess what. They don't have any kind of a tracking mechanism. And I was just wondering if that's just one of most companies. Hearing aid companies don't have a tracking mechanism.
Speaker 1: Are these over the counter hearing aids?
Speaker 9: No? No, this is from a doctor.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Okay, these.
Speaker 9: Are the real expensive one.
Speaker 1: Mm interesting and are they Bluetooth or they just standard like they're not they don't have that, are they? What do they work with your iPhone?
Speaker 9: Yeah? I have an app that connects with it. I have an Android.
Speaker 1: Okay. Interesting. So I mean some you know, some of the newer hearing aids they have, you know, connections to the iPhone or Android. You may investigate in there for a way to you know, and did you look in there and it didn't didn't say anything.
Speaker 9: I did, and there wasn't any way for it to find my hearing aid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's frustrating. So it just may be that you don't have that capability in this hearing aid. It could be something they add with software. I mean, if it's connecting to your iPhone, that means there is some technology that could potentially allow it to be you know, for the phone to know like, oh wait, we lost the connection to this device, it's gone missing and alert you. So that's a possibility, but it sounds like it's not there right now. When it comes to like adding a third party sort of like tracking device to this, I don't see that being a possibility. The tracking devices are small, but they're not that small, and there's no way that you would be able to put something like an air tag on this or any sort of you know, even tile. They're just not small enough to work with this. Now on the flip side, the trend we're seeing is that more and more companies are building what's called fine My, which is Apple's branded location you know, tracking into devices. And so it could be that, you know, it could be as simple as a software update, or it could be simple, or it could be you know, a future pair that you get. But you said, these are very expensive, so I don't imagine you're wanting to get a different style or pair anytime soon, right, you know, it might.
Speaker 9: Be possible for me to get a new phone that might have.
Speaker 1: Have you talked to your provider about whether these may work better? Because there is something there is something specific to iPhone that's called like made for for iPhone hearing aids and that may have more of what you want in there. So have you talked to your provider about this functionality and whether they have it?
Speaker 9: I think I no, I haven't, and I'm going to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I would do, and just seeing they may say oh, well, we just assumed you had an iPhone and you were using that feature. Because if you said, you know, if these things are expensive and they you know, they're new and modern, they may very well have this feature built in that you're just not able to tap into. Sometimes Android and iPhone, the apps and the functionality with different devices could be very different depending on how that company codes what you're able to do there. So I would check there, what are you going to do in the meantime, I mean, how have you actually like lost these where you've gone like, oh no, where is this? Or has it just been like you've noticed that they've fallen off?
Speaker 9: Well, one time I found them. One time another person found them.
Speaker 1: Oh no, so it was lucky.
Speaker 9: Out and I have insurance to replace them one time.
Speaker 1: Right, But and I'm going.
Speaker 9: To talk to my audiologists, because my audiologists really should know about these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. I think you start there and talk with them and if they say, hey, look, you know this is something that may we've seen it, you know, on only one model, or it's you know, definitely a trend we're seeing with more and more models. But see what they say, and they may have a solution. But when it comes to anything that you can do differently, there's not really much. I mean, it's it's you know, and I'm sure if you just got these for the first time, you're probably getting used to them, and that's probably contributing to, you know, whether you feel them on your ears or not. And so I think that that's all probably part of why you've lost them a couple of times. It's like anything else, you know, you're still getting into the into it, you know what I mean, And so it may be a while before you say, oh, I just hold on, I took off my mask and these things. Where did they go?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: Are they helping?
Speaker 10: Though?
Speaker 1: That's the important part, is it? Are they helping?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it makes a difference.
Speaker 1: Good. That's good to hear. Well, Angie, thanks for calling on this very first show.
Speaker 9: I appreciate it well and thank you for letting me call back.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks a lot. I don't know what happened, but it might have been me, it might have been you, but we'll just say it was me, okay, But.
Speaker 9: We talked and I'm happy about it. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll see on TV. Thanks a lot, See bye, all right. Interesting question. Yeah, I mean that's that's the beauty of this show is that we can get questions in a wide range of topics, and I find it fascinating. The hearing aids, especially the over the counter is really I mean, the FDA just approved over the counter hearing aids, and so we're going to see a lot more tech involved in hearing aids and a lot more innovation when it comes to hearing aids because of that. You know, this is this is an industry that used to be controlled by just a few players, and now that pretty much they've opened it up to many, many different companies able to offer these things immediately over the counter without a prescription. You know it's going to change things.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you go out tomorrow and buy these over the counter. I think there are some things you should talk to an audiologist about before you put something in your ears full time or use these, because you know it's still your ears and it's still a part of your body. That's very important, and so I would still consult with a pro before I did something like that. Okay, something fun I saw at CES this. If you're a pet lover, you're gonna like this story. This is a device called Fluent Pets. Okay, and I saw this in person, and you know, look, we all want our pets to talk with us. We talked to pets, do they always talk back? Not necessarily. I mean, we can communicate with them in our own way. But this Fluent pet, it's called fluent Pet connect, allows you to let your pet talk to you. And here's how it works. So it's a bunch of these recordable sound buttons and you place them on sort of this board of interlocking tiles. They look like a rubber matt almost, and you program this button to say something in your voice, so you can say something like water or bone. And then guess what you see where this is going. When your pet wants water or a bone, what do they do? They press this button. So you teach them to press this button that then sounds your voice when they want something. And I watched this dog do this when the trainer showed the dog two different toys. One was a ball, one was one of those like sort of you know, cloth bones. The dog pressed the right button and it took a little bit for the dog to do it, but it did it. Now that's a visual thing, but eventually, I think you know, if your dog already goes like to the door when they want to go to the bathroom, it's not a big leap to think that you can do this. The system is one hundred and sixty dollars, the tiles are seventy. It's going to be available in February twenty twenty three. Again, it's called Fluent Pet Connect. If you want your pet to talk to you, well, look at it. That's going to do it. For this hour of the show, Hour number two of the brand new rich On Tech Show is in the books. Next hour, we're going to talk to an expert about what you need to do now that last pass has been hacked. More of your calls and more tech coming up. Welcome back. You're listening to rich on Tech. I'm Rich Demiro, and this is the show where we talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions. Phone lines are open at triple eight Rich one oh one. Now you're probably wondering, if you're just tuning in, what happened to Leo Laporte. He's well, he's just retired from radio, so after nineteen years he gets to sleep in. And now you've got me. I'm your new guide for all things technology right here. I'm also the host on KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles, where I do a tech report. I've been doing that for many many years there, and now in addition to that, I will be doing this. So think of this as sort of your office hours. You can see me on TV and you can now call me to get my opinion on things. And yeah, sometimes it's just straight up my opinion. It'll be based in fact. Sometimes it's just kind of what I like. Sometimes it's obviously comparisons and knowledge that I bring to the table. You can find me on social media. I am on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at rich on Tech and my website is rich on tech dot tv. So join me there. I have a lot of fun on my Instagram, especially, you know, it's not always tech. You know, like yesterday I posted birthday cake kitkats. Have you ever seen those? I never did, and I was tempted. I didn't buy them, but I was very tempted. I'm a sucker sometimes for all these like you know, anything like funfetti flavor. Let's be honest, you know, I think Funfetti is a you know, they're wondering how pumpkin spice became so big, right, They're like, Ah, we have this flavor that's really good, but why did pumpkin spice become so popular? I think Funfetti has the ability to do that same thing.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I just got back from CEES and this is like, you know, the biggest tech show in the world. You've got techy people there, and so I figured, you know, historically it's a place where you exchange a lot of business cards, right, And I'm a tech guy, So I'm like, I can't have a physical business card, Like come on, I do, and I've had the same ones for many years, and I'm always like hesitant to give them out because I'm like, shouldn't we be doing something smarter, better and more efficient than a piece of paper that we cut and print with stuff? And so before CES, the night before, I tested three different digital business card apps, cause I was like, you know what, I'm going to try to use a digital business card and I'll just cut to the chase here. I'll just tell you no one likes digital business cards. It's just a fact of life. And I'll tell you why this is what I realized in trying to share my digital business cards so many times, is that when you're sharing a card with someone, it is a quick thing where basically you say, oh, and here's my card, give me a call, get in touch, let's hang out, let's do business whatever, and they take it and they put it in pocket and they forget about it until they get home they empty their pocket and say, oh, yeah, I need to call Rich. Let me put his number in my phone, or let me email him, or let me look him up. Whatever it is. With a digital business card, people need to take action immediately, and that is what breaks this whole business business card continuum because nobody wants to do something in that moment because the next person is walking up to them, or they're, you know, doing something next on their calendar, or they're going to their next meeting. They don't have time to deal with your contact information at that very moment. So I tested three of these things. The first is called Popple popl and the way that a lot of these does keep messing up on that digital business cards work is that you can scan a QR code and then I'll bring up your information. You can text someone your digital information. Usually it's a link to your digital business card. You can email them your business card. There's a lot of ways to share, and most of these apps support all the different ways. So, for instance, Popple actually the way that they started and it's popl This was a physical device like a little sticker that you could put on the back of your iPhone. You could tap that to another iPhone or any NFC enabled phone and it would trigger your information to pop up on their phone. And so it was pretty cool. But now people have gotten very used to QR codes. We don't really need to tap anymore. You can just you know, scan someone else's QR code, and so that's the primary method of sharing is a QR code. So you can put it in your Apple wallet, you can put it in your Google wallet, and then someone you know, you just pull up your QR code, someone scans it and now they have your information on their phone. But here's a thing. It typically just brings up a website, and on that website they have to do something, whether it's you know, download your information or follow you on Twitter or Instagram. So unless they're ready to do that at that very exact moment, it could be tricky, so Popolite says, probably the slickest out of all of these. It's probably the most like, you know, kind of the youngest, freshest looking app out of all of them. And many of these apps, by the way, have a customizable web page that's kind of your business card. But also it has like lead capture, so if you're like a salesperson that's constantly meeting new people, or anyone that's meeting new people and you want to remember how you met them, you can also capture their information so when they add their your card to their phone, you know, the card will prompt them and say, hey, do you want to send back your information a rich So poppol looks pretty slick, it works really well. It's probably one of my top picks for sure. And they just added this feature where you can have a QR code that works without Internet, so when the person scans that, they don't need Internet on their phone, or you don't need internet on your phone to make that work, which is kind of cool. That's a brand new feature. I haven't tested it, but that came into play because a lot of the people I was talking to and trying to give my card to were international, and so they have either their you know, cellular data turned off, or they hadn't connected to the Wi Fi or whatever. It was just a little bit complicated. So that's another consideration, all right. The next app that I tested is called Hi Hello, and this app what I like is that the card, like the digital business card that it gives you, is really slick looking. It looks really nice, and so it's got this cool format. You can, you know, change how it looks. It's got all your information right on one page. So what someone could do when they see this is they could screenshot your information if they pull that up. So some of them, like poppol will just show like a Twitter icon or an Instagram icon, and so you can't really like screenshot that. If you just want to do this in a hurry, but with high Hello, you could just screenshot the whatever the business card that pops up and boom, Now you can add it to your phone later on when you have time. And again it all comes back to what I noticed. Every single person I was trying to share this with, none of them wanted to deal with my contact info at that very moment because they had better things to do with their lives. And so that's that. My big takeaway is like, oh okay, that's interesting. But like Poppel, this allows you to share via QR code, email text. This actually can write to an NFC device. If you have an NFC device that you want to write it to, you can add it to Apple Wallet and I like the look of it. And again it keeps track of the people that you send your stuff to so that you can follow up with them as well. Okay, the final one that I tested is called link l n Q, and this I would say is probably like the most business y out of all of these different apps, and so link li in q I actually like it the best for a certain reason. And the reason and this is what I've decided. The reason is that you can send your information as a text to someone. And what it does is it will send that text with a link to your business card, but also your business card embedded in that text, so your VCF card if you've ever gotten a text where it's like, you know, basically a contact card, and you can download that right to your phone. So what I like about this is that when I text someone my information, they have the option to not have to deal with it at that moment because my contact card is in their text now. So later on when they're you know, at the end of the night or whatever, when they're going through all their different texts, they can say, oh, yeah, Rich DeMuro shared his information. Here it is and I can download that. They can download that card right to their phone when they have the time to do it, as opposed to having to deal with it right then and there. The downside to that setup is that this link comes from a link phone number. So the implication for most people or you know, what most people might do is just reply back to that text it does say this came from rich DeMuro like it'll it kind of like nudges them to make them realize that it's not my text number. But that's the only downside is you have to pay extra if you want it to come from your text number, so which I'm not ready to pay for any of these apps just now, but that's that's kind of where it is. So anyway, poppol high Hello and Link l A n Q. But the bottom line is I'm probably going back to a regular business card because it just seems to be the easiest. That's what I prefer, and it seems like a lot of people prefer that as well. All right, let me just do one quick story before we get to calls in a moment here after the break But Ring, you know Ring, the video doorbell company, they came out with a Ring car cam. So one of the most popular questions I get is when or which you know, which one of these car cams should I get these? You know, everyone wants one of these little cams for their car, and now Ring has one. And it's really cool because it looks nice, it's easy to set up, it works with Ring. It can record whenever there's a you know, an event detected like a break in. But there's also sensors to kind of detect when something's happening around your vehicle. If you get stopped for a traffic stop, you can say ALEXA record and your camera will start recording even if your car's parked. This is a two hundred and fifty dollars camera. Again, it works with Ring. It's called the Ring Carcam. It's coming out soon. It looks really cool. It's one hundred ninety nine dollars if you pre order it. So if you know you want this thing, probably now's the time to get it if you have Ring on your house and you've got the whole subscription. Now this also has LTE built in, so you will have to pay an extra six dollars a month if you want that LTD LTE capability, which is cellular. But I think this is gonna be something I'm gonna recommend, especially if you like the Ring video doorbell. It'll integrate with all your other cameras and it looks slick. I haven't tested it, but it's got cameras that look out and also into your car. So Ring carcam brand new unveiled at CES twenty twenty three. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Give me a call triple eight Rich one oh one with your tech question, and coming up, we're going to talk to an expert about what you need to do if you were involved in that last pass hack. You're listening to Rich on Tech. Rich tamiro here which on Tech radio show. We are talking technology and taking your questions. Dale is in Minster, Ohio. Dale, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: How you doing, young man? Welcome to be the new guy on the block.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I don't know if I've ever been to new kid on the block.
Speaker 6: Drive a truck. I don't want to take up too much of your time, but I used to pick you up on the radio stations out there when I was in LA over the years. But here's my question. I'm on a fixed income. I got an old operating system, Windows eight point one, Sammy Ewlett Packard, good machine working that ninety problems with it. The only thing I ever do was crack the screen and turned off the touch screen on the human interface. If you know what I'm talking about. Sure, And here's my predicament. I can't afford to buy a new computer, can't upgrade to Windows ten. And I don't want to put you on the spot to recommend anything over the air. But if you were in my say, if it was you in my situation, what would you do?
Speaker 1: Well, Okay, so first off, you're you're already on Windows eight point one. Yeah, okay, So that means that you know, so I know you're talking about this end of life support or end of support on end of life end of support on January tenth, that's coming up in a couple of days here. So what that means is that you're not going to get any updates for that computer when it comes to Windows. Now, that doesn't mean that individual apps can't be updated. So have you had any trouble? What what like browser are you using? Using like Chrome or something.
Speaker 6: I've got Microsoft Edge in there and also Firefox. I use two different ones. I'm on a Wi Fi system, Okay, So.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, Microsoft Edge, you know they may stop updates for that, but I don't know if they're doing that just yet Firefox. Same thing. Basically, what's happening here is that you may lose updates for these computer you know, for these software programs on the computer. It doesn't mean your computer stops working on the tenth it will still work. The main thing is that you need to be aware of the security implications of no longer receiving security updates. So that means that you could be at risk for certain things. Now, if you're doing most of your stuff online, most of your stuff on websites, many of your programs are running in the browser, you probably should be Okay. I might recommend running Chrome if you can. If you can download that and run it, it's got a lot of protections built in. I mean Edge does too, and so does Firefox to an extent. But you know, I think that that's the main thing, is knowing what you're up against. Other than that, I mean, I would plan for a new computer at some time, maybe over the next year, and you know, you can go. If you're not doing anything that's truly intensive on this computer, you could probably get away with a Chromebook. And I look into Asher on the Chromebooks. I've been testing one and they've got a lot of great models and a lot of different price ranges. But you want to get one that definitely has the best specs that you can afford on your budget. You say you're on a fixed income, So I would just put away a little every month for the next couple of months and until you get enough that you can upgrade this system. But it's not going to stop working anytime soon. And yes it's an older system. Windows eight point one is not ideal, but it just got to end of support in three days, so it's not like it's going away anytime soon.
Speaker 6: Does that make sense, Yeah, it does.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 6: I was more or less concerned was the security aspect of it. I think the Windows Defender will no longer be upgraded, right, And I was wondering about a possible other I've looked at everything. I add best Norton all those half dozen or two dozen security softwares out there, and cut the side on which one might be the best. And like I said, I don't want you to stick your neck out on the air recommending somebody software.
Speaker 1: But well, I don't mind. I mean that's yeah, I mean, look.
Speaker 6: Yes, you're right, that was my concern area. I don't game, I don't create anything. I just do a lot of reading. Okay, watch videos and maybe the Netflix. That's about the extent of my modern technology.
Speaker 1: I think I think you're gonna be okay, Dale, as long as you just be careful about any links that people send you through your email. I don't think you're getting text on this computer, but you know, you just have to be careful about anything that could you know, uh, that could be a security exploit of this computer, because that's what that's what happens when when when software is no longer updated with security updates. Hackers know that, and they look for exploits and they exploit them. And that's kind of the main thing that you're up against. So again, it's probably not going to be a huge thing you need to worry about in the next day or two. But again, plan for a new computer, do some research, figure out if a Chromebook's going to be good. And it sounds like it would be fine for what you need. I'd go with that. And I think you're going to be just great. So Dale, thanks for the question in Ohio. I appreciate it. Let's go to Ed in Huntington Beach, Ed, what's on your mind?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hi, Rich, I'm one of the ones to congratulate you on getting this new job.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I bought your book one hundred and one Jeffson of the iPhone and everything I have is Apple. But anyway, my question to get down to it is, since the major hack back in August of Last Pass, I'm really losing faith in Last Pass and I've changed my master password. It's up to twenty characters, and and I guess it's a two part question. My question is should I just back out of out of last path? But I don't really know how. I've got so many passwords on there, I don't really know how to get to back out of that last path. And and.
Speaker 1: You're you're feeling, you're you're frustrated, You're you're you're kind of I feel it. I feel it in your voice that you are upset that you put so much time and effort into this program and now it's kind of, uh, you know, it's not worked out the way that you would have liked it. Is that what I'm feeling?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm you know, I'm losing my trust, losing my trust and last path and you know they've they've somehow somebody in their company has opened up there that somebody stole all the source code back in August, and it's just it's just getting worse and worse. So I did change my master password right now, but I have some banking on there and I have Amazon on.
Speaker 1: Here's what I want to do, ed hang on. My next guest is going to answer all these questions and more. We're going to talk to an expert about this whole last Pass hack. I think you're going to enjoy the conversation coming up. Last Pass hack. What you need to know. You are listening to rich on tech. Welcome back to rich on tech. On Richdimiro talking about technology and something pretty big in the tech world. Actually huge is this last last pass breach. Last Pass is a very popular password manager and if you hear me talk at all. On any of my segments, I'm always talking about the importance of strong passwords, two factor authentication, and also having a password manager. So then when you see in the news that last pass is hacked, not just once, but twice, you're like, rich, where are you leading me here? Because maybe it was safer for me to write my stuff down on a piece of paper. I still think it's better to use a password manager. Lots of things, though, we were taken in this breach. Website URLs for stored passwords and user names, billing addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, company names, all kinds of information. Now Here to break it down is Roger Grimes. He is a data defense data driven defense evangelist at NOBI four and one of the most interesting people I interviewed at KTLA in the past year. We talked about security. Roger, thanks for joining me, glad to talk. So let's break this down. First off, can you give me a summary of what happened with last past. I believe they were hacked in eight in August and they said no, no, everything's fine, and all of a sudden it comes out, oh no, no, actually things aren't so fine. So what's the deal.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, they didn't necessarily get hacked. They did, but it was really one of their providers, their cloud storage providers where they stored their users users information, so including passwords, but the passwords were encrypted with AES, but they were you know, what they revealed is that a lot of the information related to their customers and the different websites were stored and last pass were not encrypted. So the passwords themselves were thankfully encrypted by AES with two hundred and fifty six bits of encryption. That's really good, but a lot of other information wasn't. So, you know, even at the very least, if they're not getting your passwords, they could at least know what websites you belong to and probably do some spear phishing attacks right and saying hey, we're from this website, we need you to change your password or something like that and then get your real password and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, let's break that down. So first off, if I'm a last past customer, do I ditch them right now? Do I give them another chance? And is my data at risk? Do they have like my logins for every website or no, you're saying they don't kind of.
Speaker 7: They certainly don't have your passwords, but they could have your login names. And let me say, overall, I like what advice you've been telling people. Everybody should use. My opinion, and I've been doing computer security for thirty four years, written thirteen books on the subject, I think everybody should be using a password manager, and last Pass is certainly one of the more popular ones. It's had some issues. This is probably the seventh compromise that they've had since they've been in existence, but so it's they're starting to cause some trust issues. But I would still say for existing customers, I think the majority of your passwords are probably safe. If your master password that protected that your last password manager was twelve characters are longer. If it's not, If your password was something weaker than twelve characters long with a little bit of complexity, you know, uppercase lowercase numbers, then you probably need to not only change your last master password, but all the passwords that you stored in immediately.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So what if you had Okay, let's say you had a not so good main password to last pass and the way that these Just to explain the way that these password managers work, if you haven't used one, you choose, like you log into the password manager with a strong password, and you know your username or your email, and then you store all of your different you know, let's say you're loging for Amazon and Google. You store those inside the manager, so you log in once and then it sort of logins logs in for you using your data. So if I had a week password on my last Past account and didn't have two factor authentication enabled, am I worse off?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, I still you know, hackers really don't like hacking, and encryption, like encryption is usually even bad encryption. And when we say last pass heads didn't have the strongest encryption, it was all right encryption. There were some weaknesses, some issues. It is a rarity to almost zero that hackers will actually attack the encryption. But if you had a week password, meaning eleven characters or less, that's something they could start doing password guessing that and then get access to your encrypted passwords. So, you know, and let me say, I think Last Past that they've been requiring a twelve character password for at least a couple of years. So if you've gotten last pass in the last three or four years, you probably already have a twelve character password. If you didn't you joined before that. Again, if you if you have something weaker than a twelve character password, well you need to go ahead and change that. But I think the key thing is I think everybody should use a password manager because people that don't reuse the same passwords across multiple websites, and the risk of doing that is far greater than your password manager being compromised.
Speaker 1: And also if you're using the same if you're not using a password manager, you're doing what's easy for the human brain, which is making up passwords that are variations on your passwords, which you know means you're using similar passwords across a lot of different websites as well.
Speaker 7: Kay, you're exactly right. The average person has as three to seven passwords that they reuse across one hundred and seventy different websites, and even if they don't use the same password, there's a password pattern. And it's like I used to think I was a genius years ago. I would you have my root password. Let's say it was frog, it wasn't frog. Let's say it was frog. I'd say like frog tw for Twitter, frog s B for Facebook, frog I for Instagram, and I'm like, great, I'm using a different password for every website. But hackers on average will compromise one or two of your websites every year and you don't know that. You know, oftentimes you don't know that they did, and then your passwords are out there. So if you have a pattern, like some people are like, you know, go Bucks or go Cubs or something like that, and they add something different to the end. If you have a pattern, hackers will quickly, over a couple of years, see that pattern and go, oh, you know, let's go try you know, frog A for Amazon and see if that works. So you really need to let a password manager which will create truly long and complex, perfectly random passwords do it, and the password manager will create them and use them and you don't need to even know if they are, Like I can't be fished out of my password because I don't know what they are right now?
Speaker 1: How many characters? You know there's that little slider when you know, go to choose a password. How many characters should we be sliding up to? Should it be ten, twelve, sixteen? What do you recommend if.
Speaker 7: You're using perfectly random passwords like a password manager creates twelve characters. As far as we know, no known, even advanced technology today can break a twelve character perfectly random password. And we mean somebody that has the capability of guessing forty five trillion passwords a second cannot break a twelve character perfectly random password, even if given years. If you choose it out of your brain, you know, and you make up something because we tend to use, you know, words that we add a couple of things to. In order to be perfectly safe, it needs to be twenty characters or longer. I have friends who routinely break eighteen character passwords that people have made of every day, and they're not even the least you know, the elite advanced guessers I'm talking about. So let me say it again. If it's perfectly random, twelve characters or longer is fine if you make it up out of your head. If you want it to be truly unguessable, uncrackable, it needs to be twenty characters. Nobody wants to use a twenty character password, create or use the twenty So use the password manager. Let it do the hard work.
Speaker 1: Okay, explain before you go explain the idea of spearfishing. We've heard of phishing, you know, that's when an email tries to you know, or a link tries to get your information, gets you to log in whatever. What is spearfishing.
Speaker 7: That's where they've got some type of knowledge that may not be you know, public to everybody else, Like everybody gets the Facebook, Instagram, Twitter stuff. But let's suppose that you belong to some you know, cat website, you're really into Persian cats. Well, if the hackers got that information, let's say, from last pass, and they now know that Roger seems to really like these Persian cat website he apparently raises these things or something like that, Well, that can become this intimate email where person's like, oh, I've got this great Persian cat deal for you. And so you're not expecting it to be you know, a hacker in a traditional sense, because it's not anything you know, widely used. It's something specific. This person had to know some information about you in order to use it.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: It could be that you know, they find you're, you know, a Tampa Bucks fan, and so all of a sudden you get this email going, hey, we have you've won free Bucks tickets. You know, click here or you know, spend one hundred bucks to buy these, you know, Tampa Bay Bucks tickets. A spearfish is that they're using some intimate information that the general public doesn't know about in order for you to for some you know, to let your guard down and have a little bit more trust than you otherwise would if they just hit you with some generic phishing email.
Speaker 1: Well, said Roger Grimes of a note before and on Twitter at Roger A. Grimes, you are a wealth of information when it comes to computer security. Thanks so much for joining me today and explaining the entire last past situation. Get those passwords strong, folks. That's the bottom line.
Speaker 7: Right, Yep, yep, you're right, and you're giving good advice.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Thanks Roger for joining me today on this very first episode of rich on Tech. You're listening to me Rich DeMuro talk technology. Coming up. Have you heard of a bird feeder that's smart? I'm gonna tell you about that, plus wrap up the show coming up. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Jim writes in via email, Hey, Rich, what's the best way to exchange original high quality photos between iPhone and Android phones. Email has size limits and texting degrades the images. I usually use Facebook Messenger, but there's got to be a better way. Thanks Jim. At the end of his email says, a seminar on time travel will be held two years two weeks ago. That's my kind of guy. Great question, And this is the kind of stuff that you know, it always comes up when you're with a group of people and you need to share something with them. And I find that this happens at family gatherings or when you're with your friends at a table and you take a group picture and everyone's like, oh, airdrop, airdrop, air drop. Air drop is phenomenal. But the problem with air drop is that it's only iPhone to iPhone or iPhone to mac or iPhone to iPad or iPad you know. You know what I'm saying. It's an Apple thing. And so if you are texting someone, people are like, oh, what do you texting me? This tiny video for well, it didn't start out tiny, but because it went through SMS into the iPhone, it's tiny. So a couple things here. Number one, if you're going iPhone to iPhone, it's always going to be Okay, so the message I message is going to be just fine. If you're going iPhone to Android, it's not going to be fine. If you're going Android to iPhone, not going to be fine. If you're going Android to Android and you are on a reasonably newer phone and you've activated what's called the chat feature and you're using the Google Messages app, it's going to be fine. The problem is, really what it comes down to is Android to iPhone, iPhone to Android, how do you exchange those files? Now, there are many many ways you can do this, and the reason why air drop is so cool. And by the way, Android has its own it's called Nearby Share. If you haven't looked into it, it's fantastic. You can. You know, Android has air drop built in. It's called Nearby Share, and it's it's a feature that's on most modern or i think all Android phones at this point, and if you haven't checked it out, try it. But the problem is it only works from Android to Android. But if you haven't and you've got Android friends that's the way you share big stuff among your phones, try it. I mean, it's really really phenomenal. Obviously, use air drop if you're on iPhone to iPhone. I think the best way is really, yeah, one of these messenger apps. So what you have to do is ask your friend when you're transferring, Hey, which app do you use? Maybe they used Telegram, maybe they use Facebook Messenger, maybe they use a signal or WhatsApp. I mean, chances are there's one of these products that they're using that you're also using, and that's the best way to get that large, high quality file to them. Now what I like to do is just kind of skip all that. Now, the best thing I ever did was sign up my entire family for Telegram. So we are all on a group chat on Telegram and it makes life very very easy because we all have different phones. And also I don't want to really be limited by the phone that you know, I am using. If I'm using Android and they're using iPhone, and they're using Android and I'm using iPhone, why be limited to all these different things that you know, these limitations that some of these companies put on us. So when you find that common ground, it's really nice. And many people in the US have found common ground with I Message. And if you're not part of that blue bubble system, you know, people get bent out of shape because you mess up the group chat. I'm not a big fan of all that stuff. That's why I signed up everyone for Telegram and said, let's use this because we know it's going to work. And I use it for work. I use it for my family. I use it for my wife, and it just makes life so much easier. If I'm testing an Android phone, my wife could text me the exact same way she does if we're using iPhones together with I message. So that's number one. Get your friends on the same page with a cross platform solution. If that doesn't work, what I like to do is send them a link. Send them a link, upload the file or the video. I'm guessing we're talking about videos here, or photos, I guess upload it to something like Dropbox or Google Drive or if you're using Google Photos. You can send a link that way, and when you send a link, they're going to get the high quality picture because it's a link, it's in the cloud, and there's no storage limits. I mean, obviously up to your plan limits, but there's no sort of like sending limits where you know, I can't send a one gigabyte file because obviously that's not going to work through email, but if it's a link, the file is held in the cloud until the other person on the other end downloads it. Facebook Messenger, I really feel like Jim is kind of the sea way to do this. The other thing is it's probably not best for big files, but Instagram, if you use like the messenger functionality on there, that's a pretty good cross platform solution. I don't know if the pictures are sent truly high quality, but they're probably gonna look better pictures and videos than they would if you send them through you know, just standard SMS. And so that's another option. Personally, I'm my default is to use Google Photos. I will send you know, a link with a bunch of pictures or a couple of pictures, and then I'll use Dropbox if it's more business oriented. There's also a whole host of different companies out there, like we Transfer that can send stuff. But really the problem is, you know, all of this stuff, if you're sharing it through the cloud, has to go up to the cloud first, and that could present some issues, especially if you're in a place with spotty service. And that's why people like I message are sorry. They like air drop is because it can work at hoc, which means your phone is directly connecting to that other phone, and that's the big differentiator. Now, when I mentioned the nearby Share on Android, same thing. It is ad hoc so and nearby Share is actually even a little bit smarter than air drop because nearby Share will detect what situation you're in, so it can detect, you know, whether it might be best to share it over the Internet, whether if it's a small tiny file, whether it can share it over Bluetooth, whether if it's a small file, or whether it can share it over you know, direct Wi Fi and direct WiFi is probably going to be the fastest out of any of those, and Bluetooth is another way of doing it, but that's not really something that people want. The other app that I like that I've used over the years for myself that I've found to be pretty fast is called Send Anywhere, And you know, it does require if this is kind of if you're doing it yourself, you know, you would have to have that on both devices, But if you wanted to send a large file to yourself, that can work. But Telegram also has this feature where you can have you know, and even WhatsApp just out of this where you can send messages to yourself. So look into those and I think one of those solutions should be good. But until we have you know, everyone on the same page with like cross platform, we're going to continue running into these issues with compatibility. Okay, over at CS. One more product I saw which I thought was pretty neat, is called the bird Buddy, and I love the idea of this. This is a connected bird feeder. Now they've had that for a while, started as a Kickstarter. The thing they announced that CS that's brand new is a humming bird feeder, and they think they call themselves tech for Nature. So the idea is that all these birds fly into our yard on a daily basis or weekly or monthly, the bird feeder will take pictures and videos of those birds now humming birds included, and not just take pictures but also identify the species. So it uses AI to identify And how does this all work, Well, it sort of gamifies the birds that fly into your backyard. So the way the the CEO and founders said it is it's kind of like Pokemon Go for birds. So the feeders are about two hundred dollars. Again, it's called bird Buddy, I think it's a fun idea. My brother is a big birder. Is that what they're called birders? But he would love this, And I think I hope he's not listening, because this is definitely the next gift I'm getting him because it just sounds like so much fun. A bird feeder, I might get a bird. I might become a burder, a birdwatcher. I don't know what's the term? Bird buddy is the gadget some each Facebook dot com, slash rich on Tech hit the big blue send email button, or go to richon Tech dot tv hit the email icon. You can also download the KTLA plus app to watch me on TV. Thanks to everyone who made this first show possible. Robin, Julie, Bill, Kim, Laura, Annie, Matt, my wife, my kids, and of course Leo, my mom, my dad. My name is rich Demiro. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. I'll talk to you real soon.